PDA

View Full Version : Joe Randa for First Base

NYDCYankee
12-23-05, 04:09 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59341.htm

The Yankees could be interested in Joe Randa to back up or share first base with Giambi. The Yankees also talked to former Yankee and Met Miguel Cairo. Randa, a regular third baseman, batted .276 with 17 homers and 68 RBIs for the Reds and Padres last year.

I think this is an interesting move and I think It appeals to me. It certainly gives us bench depth. He actually has always reminded me of Scott Brosius.

InterlockingNY
12-23-05, 06:32 AM
I was suprised to here about Randa, I thought he only played the hot corner

ieddyi
12-23-05, 06:38 AM
Looks like the Yanks don't have much faith in Phillips

Ideally we would get someone who can play 1B and the OF to be able to give Sheff anf Matsui a chance at DH also

NYDCYankee
12-23-05, 06:39 AM
Looks like the Yanks don't have much faith in Phillips

No you right. But I tell you what, we moan about our bench being thin, but a guy like Randa is the perfect place to start beefing it up.

C-BUS CLIPPER
12-23-05, 07:50 AM
I say get it done Cash. Randa would be a solid add to the bench.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-23-05, 07:59 AM
I think this is an interesting move and I think It appeals to me. It certainly gives us bench depth. He actually has always reminded me of Scott Brosius.
He reminds me of the Joker...
Randa would be decent though

StatenIslandYankee
12-23-05, 08:02 AM
Randa would be a nice addition to the bench.

longtimeyankeefan
12-23-05, 08:02 AM
Why do people believe that Joe Randa would be interested in coming to the Yankees as a bench/role player? He played 150 games last season and went .276/.335/.452 playing mostly 3B.

I would love to see this team add Randa, but I suspect this report is just another scribe having flatulence.

Yankees1962
12-23-05, 08:07 AM
Why do people believe that Joe Randa would be interested in coming to the Yankees as a bench/role player? He played 150 games last season and went .276/.335/.452 playing mostly 3B.

I would love to see this team add Randa, but I suspect this report is just another scribe having flatulence.
When it's exclusively written in the NY Post, you have to be careful, particularly, if it's George King.

longtimeyankeefan
12-23-05, 08:09 AM
When it's exclusively written in the NY Post, you have to be careful, particularly, if it's George King.

George King - "I never made up a rumor I didn't like."

yanksconstantino24
12-23-05, 08:21 AM
I'd rather the Yankees sign Cairo than Randa, because he is so much more versitile. Randa would probably just play third and first, but Cairo plays all the infield positions as well as a respectable outfield.

hardrain
12-23-05, 09:39 AM
I'd rather the Yankees sign Cairo than Randa, because he is so much more versitile. Randa would probably just play third and first, but Cairo plays all the infield positions as well as a respectable outfield.

They can do both-Randa would take Phillips' spot and they would still need a reserve IF.

JDPNYY
12-23-05, 09:54 AM
Does George King also work for the Weekly World News under a different name writing stories about space aliens with two heads?

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-23-05, 10:39 AM

Couldn't he be a regular, splitting time between DH and 1B?

Irabu's Son
12-23-05, 10:56 AM
Randa would be a nice addition to the bench.

Randa would be a nice addition to the LINEUP.

fredgmuggs
12-23-05, 11:16 AM
Does George King also work for the Weekly World News under a different name writing stories about space aliens with two heads?

:lol: I love the Weekly World News. The big difference between George King and the WWN is that the WWN doesn't take itself seriously... George King does.

nnysiny
12-23-05, 11:27 AM
a big "hell no" for Randa playing 1B, or anywhere in Yankee Stadium for that matter

Evil Empire
12-23-05, 11:29 AM
What a Joker.

JDPNYY
12-23-05, 11:29 AM
:lol: I love the Weekly World News. The big difference between George King and the WWN is that the WWN doesn't take itself seriously... George King does.

The sad thing is that people read George King and take him seriously.

Mark19
12-23-05, 11:46 AM
Randa could be a very nice guy for the bench but he's only started 3 games at first over the couse of his career.

Evil Empire
12-23-05, 11:49 AM
Randa could be a very nice guy for the bench but he's only started 3 games at first over the couse of his career.

He's only played 1st 11 times. I guess he could learn to adapt. He's played all over the infield as well.

Kulish29
12-23-05, 11:53 AM

This just in, George King reports Wolf Boy will be the the Yankees 4th OF'er and Vampire Boy will be invited to Spring Training as competition for the back-up catcher position.

Yankee Bulldawg
12-23-05, 12:17 PM
Randa would be a nice addition to the Yankees

Jace
12-23-05, 12:24 PM

Not with Joe and Bernie teaming up to remember 1996 for minimum 60 games.

Irabu's Son
12-23-05, 12:27 PM
Randa would be a nice addition to the Yankees

I agree and I can't understand all the hate.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-23-05, 12:37 PM
Not with Joe and Bernie teaming up to remember 1996 for minimum 60 games.
Even if Bernie starts that many games, which I doubt, that's still plenty of playing time. Figure Giambi will sit 10-20 games, you're looking at possibly 100 - 120 starts for Randa. Maybe he wants a regular everyday slot, but I wouldn't be surprised if 100+ games is something he'd consider, particularly to be on a contending team.

Davios
12-23-05, 12:56 PM

I don't think anyone hates it, people just simnply don't buy it. Randa was somewhat of a hot commodity at the trading deadline last year and now he's going to play a bench role for the Yankees where he isn't guaranteed anything? I don't see how that is going to happen.

Irabu's Son
12-23-05, 12:58 PM
I don't think anyone hates it, people just simnply don't buy it. Randa was somewhat of a hot commodity at the trading deadline last year and now he's going to play a bench role for the Yankees where he isn't guaranteed anything? I don't see how that is going to happen.

I was referring to this:

a big "hell no" for Randa playing 1B, or anywhere in Yankee Stadium for that matter

fredgmuggs
12-23-05, 01:05 PM

I think you have misinterpreted my reaction to the Yankees interest with Randa (and the reaction by some others). I don't believe anyone is opposed to Randa... however, if they think like I do, then they believe Randa will sign with a team where he will have a better opportunity to play. The Yankees might be interested in Randa but is Randa really interested in the Yankees? Plus, I've learned to take everything that George King reports with an enormous amount of salt.

JeffWeaverFan
12-23-05, 01:20 PM
Yep, never trust King. I believe Andy Phillips can play as well as Randa and is more versatile.

The FUTURE
12-23-05, 01:24 PM
I would have said sign Juan Encarnacion for RF (so shef could DH) and Eduardo Perez for 1B/DH. But now that Encarnacion has signed a 3 year deal:enraged:. I guess its back to the Eric Byrnes/DaVanon/Restovich options:( .

Randa could work, but I think we should sign, Perez for 1B/DH and a little LF, then Miguel Cairo for 2B,SS,and 3B, and then Byrnes/DaVanon/Restovich to complete the bench.

Irabu's Son
12-23-05, 01:30 PM
Yep, never trust King. I believe Andy Phillips can play as well as Randa and is more versatile.

!!!!!!!!!

WOW

!!!!!!!!!

I just hope you're right.

SoCal Pinstriper
12-23-05, 03:02 PM
Although his power numbers were inflated by playing the first half of last season in Cincinati, I still like Randa, and would welcome this move.

Yankees1962
12-23-05, 03:06 PM
I would have said sign Juan Encarnacion for RF (so shef could DH) and Eduardo Perez for 1B/DH. But now that Encarnacion has signed a 3 year deal:enraged:. I guess its back to the Eric Byrnes/DaVanon/Restovich options:( .

Randa could work, but I think we should sign, Perez for 1B/DH and a little LF, then Miguel Cairo for 2B,SS,and 3B, and then Byrnes/DaVanon/Restovich to complete the bench.
I wouldn't have signed Encarnacion to a 3 year 15M contract. The Yankees aren't that desperate.

YankClipper5
12-23-05, 03:07 PM

I can't see him DHing much, I would think with having to Spell Sheff and Matsui every once in a while, and Giambi too. Also you know Joe will be using Bernie at DH all the time.

The FUTURE
12-23-05, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't have signed Encarnacion to a 3 year 15M contract. The Yankees aren't that desperate.

I wouldnt have either, I meant thats what he signed for in STL. I would've only signed him to a 2-yr deal.;)

rajah
12-23-05, 04:40 PM

On what do you base this? Joe Randa has been a competent mlb third baseman. Andy Phillips had to be moved to first in the minors as the consensus was that he did not have adequate range at 2nd. Randa certainly seems like the better athlete.

And he certainly is much more of a proven major league hitter. Phillips is at best a question mark as a major league hitter.

There is no reason to believe he can hit as well as Randa or be more versatile.

JeffWeaverFan
12-23-05, 05:49 PM
On what do you base this? Joe Randa has been a competent mlb third baseman. Andy Phillips had to be moved to first in the minors as the consensus was that he did not have adequate range at 2nd. Randa certainly seems like the better athlete.

And he certainly is much more of a proven major league hitter. Phillips is at best a question mark as a major league hitter.

There is no reason to believe he can hit as well as Randa or be more versatile.
What do I base it on? I'll go with intuition.

Phillips can play 1B, 3B, RF, and LF. Randa can play 3B and play 1B and has played some 2B but at his age, I don't see any reason to believe he could really play the position well. Phillips also has played 2B, and although he's not a good defensive second baseman, it's nice to know he can play it. I guess that is similar to Phillips, so the difference is that Phillips can play the corner outfield positions.

Joe Randa last year hit .276/.335/.452/.787. Now, he played 92 games in the great hitters Cincinnati park and 58 games in the great pitchers park in San Diego. So, in a neutral park like YS for a whole season and a year older (now 36) you would expect those numbers to decline a bit. Lets say .260/.325/.435/.760 is a good prediction. And yes, I am just estimating here but I don't see him being that much better than that.

So, now lets look at Phillips numbers in AAA last season. .300/.379/.573/.952. Yes, those are in AAA and Randa's numbers were in the majors, but do we think that Phillips will completely fall off if he gets regular playing time in the majors next year? Personally, I don't. Furthermore, I think he deserves a shot.

ZIPS predicts Phillips season next year at: .260/.326/.471/.797.
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2006_zips_projections_new_york_yankees/

I just don't think spending $2 million on Randa instead of giving Phillips a shot is a wise decision. One last thing, both Jeter and Torre said after ST last season that Phillips could definitely hit.

EDIT: When I said Randa played 92 and 58 games in Cincy and SD respectively, I meant he played half of those games in those home ballparks.

Yankyfan
12-23-05, 05:50 PM
Andy had a 390 obs in 04 .He can get on base for sure if he plays.Thats at AAA of course.

Evil Empire
12-23-05, 05:50 PM
What do I base it on? I'll go with intuition.

Phillips can play 1B, 3B, RF, and LF. Randa can play 3B and probably play 1B. Phillips also has played 2B, and although he's not a good defensive second baseman, it's nice to know he can play it.

Joe Randa last year hit .276/.335/.452/.787. Now, he played 92 games in the great hitters Cincinnati park and 58 games in the great pitchers park in San Diego. So, in a neutral park like YS for a whole season and a year older (now 36) you would expect those numbers to decline a bit. Lets say .260/.325/.435/.760 is a good prediction. And yes, I am just estimating here but I don't see him being that much better than that.

So, now lets look at Phillips numbers in AAA last season. .300/.379/.573/.952. Yes, those are in AAA and Randa's numbers were in the majors, but do we think that Phillips will completely fall off if he gets regular playing time in the majors next year? Personally, I don't. Furthermore, I think he deserves a shot.

ZIPS predicts Phillips season next year at: .260/.326/.471/.797.
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2006_zips_projections_new_york_yankees/

I just don't think spending $2 million on Randa instead of giving Phillips a shot is a wise decision. One last thing, both Jeter and Torre said after ST last season that Phillips could definitely hit.

I agree with you(I'm for Phillips) but FWIW, Randa's also played second. He could be a good Infielder I think, and I wouldn't be dissapointed if we got him.

JeffWeaverFan
12-23-05, 06:27 PM
I agree with you(I'm for Phillips) but FWIW, Randa's also played second. He could be a good Infielder I think, and I wouldn't be dissapointed if we got him.
I wouldn't be either. I wouldn't want to give him more than a 1 year deal though and I just don't know if it's necessary with Phillips on board.

Michaels07
12-23-05, 07:01 PM

I can smell it from this thread.

Mark19
12-23-05, 07:45 PM
Phillips can BARELY play the outfield, based on what I know, he is about as good an outfielder as Ruben was

Yankyfan
12-23-05, 07:57 PM
I have seen Andy play 2nd ,SS and 3rd but never in the outfield.What level did he play the outfield?

Michaels07
12-23-05, 08:15 PM
I have seen Andy play 2nd ,SS and 3rd but never in the outfield.What level did he play the outfield?

He played Rf with the Bombers for a couple of innings, also at Columbus on occasion

Yankyfan
12-23-05, 08:17 PM
Was that in ST. How was he ? He has some speed.

longtimeyankeefan
12-23-05, 08:18 PM
according to baseballreference.com, it was two innings in LF.

Stupid Flanders
12-23-05, 08:37 PM
Uh, Randa over Choi? Randa over Durazo?

NO thanks.

buntsalot2
12-23-05, 10:23 PM
Don't forget the Duncan Factor! :D :D :D

longtimeyankeefan
12-23-05, 10:25 PM

NO thanks.

Choi is a LH 1Bman - he has only one position he can play, whereas Randa can play 1B, 3B, and 2B in the pinch. Durazo has played a few games in RF in his career, but he is essentiall the same as Choi.

For a bench player, versatility is a factor to be strongly considered.

AMYanks
12-24-05, 01:43 AM

NO thanks.

Choi isn't an option, he re-signed with Los Angeles.

ShaneTravis
12-24-05, 02:12 AM
Randa as a bench player? Uhh the guy hit...

.289 .356 .491 .847 for Cinci

.256 .303 .395 .698 for Pods in 2005

How can he not get a full time job?

MR STEINBRENNER 27
12-24-05, 02:59 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59341.htm

me too for some odd reason. Im indifferent to this signing, as I really am not impressed by Randa's game. But if its a choice between Randa and Andy Phillips as the back 1B, gimme Joe all day. Also lets get a move on signing Miguel Cairo again I miss that scrappy little guy.

JeffWeaverFan
12-24-05, 03:39 AM

NO thanks.
You need to trade for Choi and he can only play 1B. Durazo can also only play 1B. Randa gives us much need versatility as does Andy Phillips.

Mark19
12-24-05, 03:47 AM
The fact that George King wrote this article almost guarantees that Randa isn't coming to the Yankees. But if the guy can give us a great glove at 1st base, then I think he could be a great addition.

He is probably sick of being shuttled between struggling teams and may want to show a contender what he is really made of.

BillBuckner
12-24-05, 11:32 AM
Randa would be a nice addition, but I really think Phillips should be given a significant chance to prove himself as a backup.

Yankyfan
12-24-05, 11:41 AM
BB I agree. Give Andy the shot.

longtimeyankeefan
12-24-05, 01:35 PM
Randa would be a nice addition, but I really think Phillips should be given a significant chance to prove himself as a backup.

Phillips will also be playing for the ML minimum and would be happy with a limited role.

Would Randa do the same? I think not.

homer2931
12-24-05, 10:34 PM
Last year AL 1B had a .800 OPS, Randa has reached that twice in his career (99 and 2003, where he was actually still below league average according to bBref), and has played 11 games at 1B, so we wouldnt be signing him for his glove or his bat.
ZIPs projects Randa at .264/.323/.414 and Phillips at .260/.326/.471 and Phillips is more versatile, and would cost less

ShaneTravis
12-28-05, 02:54 PM
Phillips will also be playing for the ML minimum and would be happy with a limited role.

Would Randa do the same? I think not.
per rotoworld.com

Joe Randa - 3B - Padres

The Pirates and Joe Randa have reportedly agreed to a one-year deal worth about $4 million.
At least it's just for one year. Randa is probably an upgrade over Freddy Sanchez, though he's hardly so much of one that the Pirates might not be better off seeing what Sanchez can do as a regular. Dec. 28 - 2:40 pm et
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Flatten78
12-29-05, 09:00 PM
Joe Randa signed a 1 yr deal with the Pirates.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-29-05, 09:02 PM
Good we don't need another 1st baseman/DH, we need someone to play the outfield...

NelsonMuntz
12-29-05, 10:41 PM
Good we don't need another 1st baseman/DH, we need someone to play the outfield...
Agreed. Get a rightfielder so Sheff can DH when Giambi is at 1B.

ryanthe13th
12-30-05, 02:04 AM
Agreed. Get a rightfielder so Sheff can DH when Giambi is at 1B.

Crosby is already on the team.

JapanJobbers
12-30-05, 02:16 AM
Crosby is already on the team.

As long as he doesn't play.

ryanthe13th
12-30-05, 02:52 AM
As long as he doesn't play.

Crosby playing in a few games won't hurt the team. If the Yankees truly have no use for him, then they should trade or release him.

Allan
12-30-05, 08:19 AM
Crosby playing in a few games won't hurt the team. If the Yankees truly have no use for him, then they should trade or release him.
If Crosby plays when Giambi is at 1B and Sheff the DH, then that's going to be more than a few games I guess the question becomes can Crosby's bat carry the loss of the bat he'd be replacing be it Bernie, Phillips or whoever would be DH if Sheff was in RF.

justinvarnes
12-30-05, 09:44 AM
If Crosby plays when Giambi is at 1B and Sheff the DH, then that's going to be more than a few games I guess the question becomes can Crosby's bat carry the loss of the bat he'd be replacing be it Bernie, Phillips or whoever would be DH if Sheff was in RF.

It's funny: either we need offense or we need defense, depending on the situation. I'm not picking on your post in particular Allan, just making the larger point that it's hard to have every player be an offensive threat AND a defensive wizard.

There is talk of how Damon helps the offense but isn't a defensive stalwart anymore, therefore it wasn't a good signing. Well, sheff is a defensive liability. Replacing sheff with Crosby 15-20 games a year, particularly if Joe uses him right (big outfield and/or NYY fly ball pitcher vs. RH opposing pitcher) then Crosby in RF and Sheff DH should yield similar results to Sheff RF and Bernie DH.

Of course ,there is a seperate thread on our mediocre DH slot....

shutout
12-30-05, 10:40 AM
I'm also wondering who'll they sign for RF. I'm not much in favor of Crosby in the team: I just don't think he's on MLB level, or at least not on a Yankee level. We should find another person instead of Crosby imo.

ryanthe13th
12-30-05, 11:13 PM
Crosby in RF for a few games will not kill the team. Him in a role that he had last year, even if it is slightly more, will not be a bad thing. It's him starting that I think is nuts.

Also, why the hell would Randa sign with the Pirates? They're a dead end team, at least the Yankees have a shot at going somewhere, the Pirates are pretty much gaurenteed to be in the cellar of their division.

keithf1
12-30-05, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind having Joe on the team but I think we need a corner outfielder more so Shef can DH.

gdn
12-31-05, 08:02 AM
Hasn't Randa officialy signed with Pittsburgh?

Yankees1962
12-31-05, 08:09 AM
Hasn't Randa officialy signed with Pittsburgh?
Not yet, but soon for 4M dollars. So this thread probably needs to be close once they announced it officially after the physical is acceptable to the Pirates.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051228&content_id=1287642&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Yankees1962
12-31-05, 05:48 PM
I guess it's official now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051230&content_id=1287911&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

gdn
12-31-05, 07:06 PM
:-padlock-

SoCal Pinstriper
01-02-06, 02:50 PM
4 million would have been too much for Randa in the role he would have played for us. We should keep him in mind, however, as he will be available at the deadline when the dismal Pirates are dumping salary. If Phillips doesn't work out, Randa will doubtless be out there.