PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas?

Frank the Tank
12-22-05, 05:38 PM
Not a rumor thread in any way, but I'm throwing this out there. Maybe an incentive-laden contract to be a full-time DH and a 1B for a game or 2 (literally, if he can). Might be a stretch, but he's out there. Imagine the lineup with him in it...

Damon
Jeter
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheffield
Matsui
Thomas
Posada
Cano

Mark19
12-22-05, 05:40 PM
Not a rumor thread in any way, but I'm throwing this out there. Maybe an incentive-laden to be a full-time DH and a game or 2 (literally, if he can) at 1st. Might be a stretch, but he's out there. Imagine the lineup with him in it...

This reminds me of when the Sox tried to bring back Ellis Burks.

Thomas is too much of an injury risk and a team that already has so many DHs really doesn't have a spot for him.

Spiker101
12-22-05, 05:42 PM
The aptly named Big Hurt has the same essential problem that Mike Piazza has to be a Yankees DH: he swings from the wrong side of the plate.

Yankees1962
12-22-05, 05:43 PM
My concern about him besides the injury bug is his apparent lack of ability to play a position now. He was never a good first baseman and was even worse than Giambi.

anyoneseenthebridge
12-22-05, 05:52 PM
Frank Thomas has actually worn a Yankee uniform in the past, in the movie Mr. Baseball (the one where Tom Selleck goes to Japan). He played a young Yankee prospect.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-22-05, 05:59 PM
We need a backup outfielder who can hit not a DH, why can't people understand this?

Evil Empire
Yeah, I'd prefer an OF who's better than Sheff. Pavano for Abreu anyone? :evil:

NYYBombshell
Why do we need to sign an aging player who's always hurt?

climbingspaz
12-22-05, 06:00 PM
living in chicago for the past eight years, i've seen thomas up close. he is still a very dangerous hitter.

but check out his last five years:

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
2001 33 CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2001.shtml)AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2001.shtml) 20 68 8 15 3 0 4 10 0 0 10 12 .221 .316 .441 30 0 1 2 0 0
2002 34 CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2002.shtml)AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2002.shtml) 148 523 77 132 29 1 28 92 3 0 88 115 .252 .361 .472 247 0 10 2 7 10
2003 35 CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2003.shtml)AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2003.shtml) 153 546 87 146 35 0 42 105 0 0 100 115 .267 .390 .562 307 0 4 4 12 11
2004 36 CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2004.shtml)AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2004.shtml) 74 240 53 65 16 0 18 49 0 2 64 57 .271 .434 .562 135 0 1 3 6 2
2005 37 CHW (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005.shtml)AL (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml) 34 105 19 23 3 0 12 26 0 0 16 31 .219 .315 .590 62 0 3 0 0 2

source:http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

total number of games are way down. he has, however always drawn a lot of walks. career OBA = .427. he's definitely limited to half a position, first base, and i don't know of extremely reliable defensive statistics, but he looks pathetic nowadays at first, but bitches if he doesn't get to play the field. let me put it another way, i'd feel more comfortable with a one-legged giambi at first than with the Big Hurt.

in short, no to frank thomas. he's also kind of a malcontent, as he only played the media this year because it was a contract year and he was hurt so he couldn't let his numbers do the talking. the yankees don't need offense this badly.

now i'll get off my :soapbox:

JDPNYY
12-22-05, 06:02 PM
If they sign Frank the lineup would be like this:

Damon
Jeter
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheffield
Matsui
The guy replacing Thomas while he's on the DL most of the year
Posada
Cano

Tifoso
12-22-05, 06:03 PM

Damon
Jeter
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheffield
Matsui
Posada
Cano

Brilliant :clap:

NewEraYanks2527
12-22-05, 06:07 PM
Two things the Yankees should achieve in their next acquisition: versatility and durability, Thomas is neither.

nnysiny
12-22-05, 06:22 PM
from the moment Damon was signed i thought to myself "if anything, a DH could be added" and i immediately thought of Frank Thomas. of course hes been injured the past 2 years (still put up OPS+ of 151 and 131) but not offering an incentive-laden contract would be crazy. and if hes injured, enter Bernie. here is my lineup:

Damon-L
Jeter-R
Giambi-L
Arod-R
Sheff-R
Matsui-L
Thomas-R
Posada-S
Cano-L

Babe Rules
12-22-05, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer an OF who's better than Sheff.
Exactly. If we are to make another move, it should be for an OF that could allow us to make Sheff a full time DH.

C-BUS CLIPPER
12-22-05, 07:14 PM
Thomas? NO THANKS.

CTyankeefan
12-22-05, 08:07 PM
Yanks need the DH spot unfilled. That way, Bernie, Giambi and SHeff will fill it and allow other to get in the game.

Sheff broke down at the end of the year. He won't do that as a DH. Giambi isn't a 150 game 1bman. Bernie needs more than 100 abs this year.

If you guys think Bernie is only going to play sparingly, you guys are smoking something. Bernie/Giambi will be the DH tandem with a whole lot of Sheff there this year.

Evil Empire
12-22-05, 08:09 PM
Yanks need the DH spot unfilled. That way, Bernie, Giambi and SHeff will fill it and allow other to get in the game.

Sheff broke down at the end of the year. He won't do that as a DH. Giambi isn't a 150 game 1bman. Bernie needs more than 100 abs this year.

If you guys think Bernie is only going to play sparingly, you guys are smoking something. Bernie/Giambi will be the DH tandem with a whole lot of Sheff there this year.

We all know Torre will play Bernie. Most of us just don't want it.

Evil Empire
12-22-05, 08:12 PM
Exactly. If we are to make another move, it should be for an OF that could allow us to make Sheff a full time DH.

Precisley. Defense with a decent bat is all I'd ask. Is Juan Encarnacion a FA?

Blaze
12-22-05, 08:18 PM
Unless something big happens I really think Bernie will probably DH most of the time. I think it's Bernie's job to lose. If Bernie hits .270 and hits 20 homers that will be good enough.

the_coach
12-22-05, 08:21 PM
Frank Thomas?!!!! OMG..Can this off seaon get any worse?
:eek:

Spiker101
12-22-05, 08:56 PM

Damon
Jeter
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheffield
Matsui
Posada
Cano

:D :D :D

Evil Empire
12-22-05, 08:56 PM
Does Frank the tank refer to Frank Thomas by chance? :)

yanksphan
12-22-05, 09:57 PM
Precisley. Defense with a decent bat is all I'd ask. Is Juan Encarnacion a FA?

He is a FA. I think he'd be a great option for RF.

Damon
Jeter
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Giambi
Encarnacion
Posada
Cano

Evil Empire
12-22-05, 09:59 PM

Damon
Jeter
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Giambi
Encarnacion
Posada
Cano

How's his defense though?

yanksphan
12-22-05, 10:04 PM
How's his defense though?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/encarju01.shtml

Well above the league avg in FP, RFg and RF9 throughout his career.

Besides...we're talking about upgrading from Sheff. ;)

Yankee Bulldawg
12-22-05, 10:07 PM
Thomas is almost certain going to the A's

The FUTURE
12-22-05, 10:08 PM

Damon
Jeter
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Giambi
Encarnacion
Posada
Cano

Yeah I suggested we sign him in another thread, hes everything we need,he can play good d,he has pretty good speed and he can play CF every now and then in case of emergancy. It would make perfect since, Sign Encarnacion for RF, Shef is the DH, on nights shef plays in the OF, we sign Eduardo Perez to be the DH on those nights. ;)

ChewieTobbacca
12-22-05, 10:10 PM
I hardly think Bernie can hit as an everyday DH

Though Frank Thomas has been hurt a lot, i think a heavily incentive-laden contract would be good.. though he is a right handed hitter, he has massive amounts of power and even by last year's standards, he would be one of the best hitters on the team

He would bat in front of Matsui, though if he stays healthy and hits as he usually can, i'd bat him a lot higher - remember his .427 career OBP 13th all time.. ALL TIME - he gets on base and can still slug over 500

ring403
12-22-05, 10:12 PM
Is Juan Encarnacion a FA?He's almost certainly going to be offered more than one job as an every day OF, and because of this will be offered a starting player's salary somewhere north of the $4.4 million he made last season.
I don't think there is much of a chance of Encarnacion being interested in a backup role, or the Yankees being interested in paying him big money to sit on their bench.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-18-06, 03:53 PM
Thomas is almost certain going to the A'sTucked at the bottom of this Rich Harden update.

Beane said the A's are continuing to "closely monitor'' free-agent designated hitter Frank Thomas, who is coming off two different breaks in the same bone in his left foot. If Thomas is cleared to play, something that could happen as soon as this week, there is a strong possibility Oakland will sign him to a one-year, incentive-laden deal.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/18/SPGENGORHK1.DTL

Tifoso
01-18-06, 04:13 PM
Tucked at the bottom of this Rich Harden update.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/18/SPGENGORHK1.DTL

He'd be a natural there. :)

flymick24
01-18-06, 04:50 PM
another DH? why?

Tifoso
01-18-06, 05:35 PM
another DH? why?

Okaland would ship out the other one ;)

conkermaniac
01-20-06, 07:42 AM
The aptly named Big Hurt has the same essential problem that Mike Piazza has to be a Yankees DH: he swings from the wrong side of the plate.
What is wrong with batting righty? This lineup already has enough lefties: Giambi, Matsui, Cano, and Damon. With one switch hitter (Posada), having four righties in the lineup won't hurt us. I'm not saying that Thomas is the solution, but in the Yankees' case, they just don't need any more lefties.

NewEraYanks2527
01-20-06, 08:39 AM
The Yankees need a more versatile player than Thomas or Piazza, a corner OFer with some pop that can play solid defense would be the best solution and I really don't care what side of the plate whoever that player is hits from. Sheffield and Giambi should be splitting time at DH, once again the Bernie signing is a waste of a roster spot but he's there, hopefully Cash can get a corner versatile corner OFer, but Piazza and Thomas have no place on this team.

rivera,s cutter
01-20-06, 09:05 AM
maybe 5 or 6 years ago but now no chance!

PerfectCone
01-20-06, 10:17 AM
Thomas would be a fine acquistion if he could stay healthy. Everyone seems to forget the purpose of the DH. DH is a position for an extra HITTER. Who gives a crap if he can play a position? Does anyone remember Chilli Davis? We had some pretty good teams while he was the DH and he could'nt play a position. Bernie Williams is not going to get it done as DH.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-20-06, 10:26 AM
Thomas would be a fine acquistion if he could stay healthy. Everyone seems to forget the purpose of the DH. DH is a position for an extra HITTER. Who gives a crap if he can play a position?
Someone seems to have forgotten the makeup of the yankee roster.

SODM
01-20-06, 10:31 AM
Thomas would be a fine acquistion if he could stay healthy. Everyone seems to forget the purpose of the DH. DH is a position for an extra HITTER. Who gives a crap if he can play a position? Does anyone remember Chilli Davis? We had some pretty good teams while he was the DH and he could'nt play a position. Bernie Williams is not going to get it done as DH.

When the Yankees had Chilli Davis the team was alot more athletic and could support carrying an extra HITTER.
Giambi and Sheffield are both good candidates to suffer from nagging injuries that would require either DHing them or else removing their bats from the lineup. Throw an aging Posada and a fatigued Matsui in the mix and that about wraps up DH for the whole year.

There's no question that Thomas can be a very productive hitter, but having him on the team would more often than not create an either/or situation with a hitter of comparable caliber while a less productive bench player is inserted to play the field.

It is fairly obvious that the Yankees would be best served getting a competent RFer who can handle the bat a little. There is plenty of strength to be added through flexibility.

JeffWeaverFan
01-20-06, 01:00 PM

Damon
Jeter
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Giambi
Encarnacion
Posada
Cano
No he's not. He signed with the Cardinals. 3 years/$15 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2270028

edit: Just realized that when you posted that, he still was a FA. Either way, he's no longer an option.

ChinMusic
01-20-06, 01:19 PM
All the above points are well taken. I would like to reframe the question. Should we have signed Thomas instead of Bernie Williams?

yanksphan
01-20-06, 01:23 PM
No he's not. He signed with the Cardinals. 3 years/$15 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2270028

edit: Just realized that when you posted that, he still was a FA. Either way, he's no longer an option.

Would have been a great option IMO. He's young and has the tools, just can't seem to put it together. I was thinking he'd thrive in an environment like the Yankees.

Oh well....good pickup for the Cards.

JeffWeaverFan
01-20-06, 01:23 PM
All the above points are well taken. I would like to reframe the question. Should we have signed Thomas instead of Bernie Williams?
Hmmm. I think you would have to go with Frank Thomas. Neither can play a position but Thomas is the better hitter.

JeffWeaverFan
01-20-06, 01:24 PM
Would have been a great option IMO. He's young and has the tools, just can't seem to put it together. I was thinking he'd thrive in an environment like the Yankees.

Oh well....good pickup for the Cards.
I was also hopeful that we would have gone this route.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-20-06, 01:40 PM
Considering I don't think we should have signed Bernie at all, I certainly think so. Thomas' health is much more of a risk than Bernie's, but I think the difference in offensive production is worth that risk. We'll see what 06 brings.

rlavera
01-20-06, 02:10 PM
As long as we are talking about past superstars and OF/DHs, anyone think we should try out Sosa in spring training or with a incentive laden contract with little or no garaunteed money? I personally think he is a washed up steroid junkie and I don't really want him on the team, but personality/past aside he would seem to be what we need. I'm sure this idea will be soundly bashed, but I am curious what people think.

ryanthe13th
01-20-06, 02:16 PM
No, we should not try out Sosa in Spring Training. He tanked in the AL East last year, why give him the money to do it again this year?

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-20-06, 02:21 PM
As long as we are talking about past superstars and OF/DHs, anyone think we should try out Sosa in spring training or with a incentive laden contract with little or no garaunteed money? I personally think he is a washed up steroid junkie and I don't really want him on the team, but personality/past aside he would seem to be what we need. I'm sure this idea will be soundly bashed, but I am curious what people think.
Sosa was in pretty steep decline even before last year's disaster. He doesn't seem to offer much.

DJ27
01-20-06, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer an OF who's better than Sheff. Pavano for Abreu anyone? :evil:

I have been in that camp for the last couple months!! Pavano should be a solid starting point in a package for Abreu. Maybe it will happen after Pavano pitches well in Spring Training.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-20-06, 02:44 PM
I have been in that camp for the last couple months!! Pavano should be a solid starting point in a package for Abreu. Maybe it will happen after Pavano pitches well in Spring Training.
I'm sure Pavano is exactly what the Phils are looking for.

NewEraYanks2527
01-20-06, 02:51 PM
How is he what we need? A poor defensive rally killer? We already have that in Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams. So that position is filled. Sosa offers the Yankees absolutley no value whatsoever.

JeffWeaverFan
01-20-06, 03:50 PM
I think you are seroiusly overvaluing Pavano. The best thing you can say about Pavano is that he's a question mark. If they are trading Abreu, they want far more than a question mark as the starting point of a package. The package would start with Wang and would have to include a couple prospects. And that's at the very least.

The FUTURE
01-20-06, 05:46 PM
I think you are seroiusly overvaluing Pavano. The best thing you can say about Pavano is that he's a question mark. If they are trading Abreu, they want far more than a question mark as the starting point of a package. The package would start with Wang and would have to include a couple prospects. And that's at the very least.

No way we get Abreu before the season starts unless we offer them a deal including like all of our top prospects, its just not going to happen, why cant some of you guys get that through your head.

If getting Jason Michaels is a reach, then getting Bobby Abreu is out of this world.;)

rlavera
01-20-06, 06:49 PM
How is he what we need? A poor defensive rally killer? We already have that in Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams. So that position is filled. Sosa offers the Yankees absolutley no value whatsoever.

As I said before I don't think it would work out, but if Sosa could return to his 2004 form and stay health he would not be a superstar on offense or defense but he would be an adequate fourth outfeilder/DH. 30 hr .260 avg 80 rbi in 130 games or so could be possible in this line up. Of course the return to 2004 form and the staying healthy are highly unlikely in my opinion, but it might be worth a spring training invite or a low risk contract just in case.

JeffWeaverFan
01-20-06, 06:58 PM
No way we get Abreu before the season starts unless we offer them a deal including like all of our top prospects, its just not going to happen, why cant some of you guys get that through your head.

If getting Jason Michaels is a reach, then getting Bobby Abreu is out of this world.;)
Yeah, exactly. They are looking for a pitcher like Mark Prior, not Pavano.

Stupid Flanders
01-20-06, 07:11 PM
I love Frank Thomas, but he's not what is needed at DH. The right kind of player is a guy who can play the OF/1B and let Sheffield and Giambi get some DH time

nojoke
01-25-06, 09:15 PM
Can delete this thread, Thomas signed with Athletics

DontHateOnNumber2
01-26-06, 08:41 AM
Big Frankie is an Athletic? That's funny, he hasn't been that athletic for the past couple of years now.

arod/jeter=27
01-26-06, 06:11 PM
I am not sure if I heard the report correctly buy, I heard that he sign a contract for 550,000. I would assume incentive laden.