PDA

View Full Version : Ogea throws heat...

Jim F.
05-31-01, 04:43 PM
Ogea throws 88 mph in second start

May 31, 2001

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Chad Ogea reached 88 miles an hour during his second start Thursday for the New York Yankees' extended spring training team.

The former Cleveland Indians right-hander was signed to a minor league contract by the Yankees in early May. He is rehabilitating from shoulder surgery last June.

``That's the hardest I've thrown in two years,'' Ogea said. ``Today was a good day because I was pitching. I feel good.''

Ogea, who said he might make one or two more extended spring starts, allowed four runs in the first inning against Toronto Blue Jays' minor leaguers. He finished with three scoreless innings, reaching 87 mph in his last inning.

Ogea went 37-35 with a 4.88 ERA in six seasons with Cleveland and Philadelphia. He won two World Series games for Cleveland in 1997 but has not pitched in the majors since 1999.

Right-hander Christian Parker, the surprise winner in spring training of the Yankees' fifth starter spot, was slated for his third bullpen session Friday and could throw batting practice Monday.

He went on the 15-day disabled list in mid April with tendinitis in his right shoulder after making just one start.

Third base prospect Drew Henson took live batting practice Thursday for the first time since breaking his left hand April 14. He was hurt after being hit by a pitch while playing for Class-A Tampa in a Florida State League game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20010531/ap-yankees-ogea.html

Luvtino
05-31-01, 05:31 PM
Sounds like good news right across the board. :D:D

Bub
06-01-01, 08:35 AM
I don't know what Ogea has in his repertoire, but 88 and straight won't get AAA players out, so I hope he also has an assortment of off-speed pitches he can throw for strikes.