PDA

View Full Version : Damon signs with Yanks...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

jimmyclark
12-21-05, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=STNYY]Buster Olney loves this move, fwiw, which really doesn't make me feel any better: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=2267080

Yeah, considering he said this not long ago :

"they have little interest in Johnny Damon unless he's willing to sign with New York at a bargain rate, which is highly unlikely. "

I seldom look at ESPN or listen to their radio station anymore so I missed that one. Looks like Buster has picked up Peter Gammons' knack for giving the wrong information on a team's moves. Of course Cashman could have been using Olney to keep Damon's price down.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 11:43 AM
Sure, we'd kill to have Pedro back, but not that contract. Only the Mets were dumb enough to do that deal. "when Damon helps us get our 27th ring"...we heard all that last year when they signed RJ last offseason, and where did that get you? Its funny, when the season ended this year and there was initial talk about Damon and Yankees, this board was full of "no way", "we don't need him", etc. etc. FLIP-FLOP, FLIP-FLOP
Actually, a number of people listed CF defense with Bernie out there as a huge concern when talking about the 2005 season.

To be fair, a number of people didn't want to sign Damon for 5+ seasons, but were okay with under that. And, it wasn't that "we don't need him." It was that people would have rather gone in a different direction. I didn't want him, but it wasn't because we didn't need him. We needed a CFer - I would have just preferred Michaels or Reed. And, I have continued with my dislike for signing Damon throughout this. 3 seasons I would have been okay with - anything more I would be upset.

hardrain
12-21-05, 11:43 AM
the 3rd place Red Sox has an awfully nice sound to it.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 11:44 AM
But the city of San Diego is a tempting siren, and i don't blame him at all for leaving. Perfect weather and a great baseball city? Forgetaboutit.
You mean for staying? Nor do I. In fact, I respect a player that takes a discount to go to a certain place. I was just responding to a poster that was wondering why I was for signing the 35 year old Giles to a 3 year contract but not the 32 year old Damon to a 4 year contract.

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 11:45 AM
The overlooked beauty of this whole deal was that SUPERAGENT SCOTT BORAS caved and didn't bully a team into a ridiculous contract for his guy...and it was Cashman who out-bluffed him on the "we'll trade for a CF if you don't take this"...Cash is a master, this has been a great offseason IMO.

YANKEE MAGIC
12-21-05, 11:45 AM
Has anyone seen or heard anything out of Gammons? :)

rivera,s cutter
12-21-05, 11:46 AM
this has made my day! briliiant excellent and well done cashman

shotgun_sam
You mean for staying? Nor do I. In fact, I respect a player that takes a discount to go to a certain place. I was just responding to a poster that was wondering why I was for signing the 35 year old Giles to a 3 year contract but not the 32 year old Damon to a 4 year contract.

Yeah, i meant staying. Sorry...i was thinking about being back in San Diego myself.. :D

SoxIn4
At this point, I'd take the Blue jays in 2nd and the Saux in 3rd, the Jays staff should be better than satsifactory, with a better bullpen, and a solid hitting line up. :eek:

Its December 21, and we're 3rd place already. You're all being uncharacteristically over confident (sarcasm).

hardrain
12-21-05, 11:47 AM
The overlooked beauty of this whole deal was that SUPERAGENT SCOTT BORAS caved and didn't bully a team into a ridiculous contract for his guy...and it was Cashman who out-bluffed him on the "we'll trade for a CF if you don't take this"...Cash is a master, this has been a great offseason IMO.

I totally agree

hardrain
12-21-05, 11:47 AM
Its December 21, and we're 3rd place already. You're all being uncharacteristically over confident (sarcasm).

But it's our day to be...once the bloom is off the rose and Damon makes his first throw, you'll be happier ;)

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 11:49 AM

Um, the Sox have no SS, no CF, and and old, shaky, injury plagued rotation.

If you don't think placing 3rd to an uprgraded Jays team is a concern, maybe YOU are being over confident.

;)

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 11:50 AM
Has anyone seen or heard anything out of Gammons? :)

For once, he's probably speechless.

Beware for "Rocket to return to Boston" rumours to flow from him now.

TheScooter
12-21-05, 11:52 AM
The Yankees always liked Johnny Damon.When he was with KC,Suzyn Waldman was blabbing one day(2000)about how the Yankees envisioned Damon replacing Paul O'Neill in RF with Bernie remaining in CF

Damon has never been on DL and has played at least 145 games every season for the past 10 seasons

Chairman-of-TheBoard
12-21-05, 11:53 AM
Damon is a signing I was hoping to avoid. I wanted Jaques Jones instead, but that point is moot thanks to Chicago...

That being said, Cashman has made a GREAT move in signing Damon. Outwardly, it is a great move in that:
1) It is a serious improvement over Williams
2) Weakens Boston in CF and leadoff
3) Gives NY the leadoff hitter we wanted
4) You have to admit the run production he brings whether you like him or not.

The intangibles are the business sense this made. Thankfully, we will not be stuck with him through 4 obviously unproductive seasons like with Williams. Also, his salary is only slighty higher than Williams's, which means the days of overpaying for the sake of overpaying are (temporarily) over. Leave that strategy to the dick heads at MSG.

Another intangible is Damon's hitting style, which includes forcing the pitcher to show all of his stuff in his first two at-bats as he fouls off everything thrown at him. I like that style and it takes pressure off of Jeter.

My final intangible is the mouth on this guy! He is already shooting it off as to how he is the best CF out there and how the Yankees will be tough to beat. GREAT! Show some swagger! Screw that low-key sh*t! Attitude is exactly what the Yankees need and they have never needed it more than now. With the exception of Sheffield, I all too often look at this team as a collection of church mice, never wanting to rock the boat, always keeping things on an even keel, never getting too excited. If you must, fire 'em up!

This is a great signing. Damon even complemented The Boss on his way out of Boston?!?!? Ouch... for Beantown that is. Kudos Cash! I'm not seeing too many holes these days in the Bronx...

Davios
12-21-05, 11:54 AM

What's the over/under on how long it takes for Gammo to start spouting off about Clemens making his valiant return? I'm putting down 4 days, by then the press conference will be over and he can divert all ESPN baseball coverage to his campaign.

And personally considering Clemens, I don't think he even considers Boston at this point. The team is incredibly depleted, guys are unhappy, and people like Verducci and Olney have already come out and stated they feel Clemens would first come back to NY.

mentalgidget
12-21-05, 11:55 AM

Will you give the Red Sox FO for taking that same stance? They put out a # and woudn't come off of it. Much like the Yankees, just a bit lower.
I'm not accusing you of this but I hate how people immediately assume that teh FO dropped the ball when a free agent isn't signed. (whether that FO be Boston's, New York's or Tampa Bay's) Why can't people understand and appreciate that the FO made a decision not to cave to his demands

edit: this is more in response to listening to WEEI and talking to some of my friends who aren't too educated, they just like Damon's hair

SoxIn4
12-21-05, 11:55 AM
Um, the Sox have no SS, no CF, and and old, shaky, injury plagued rotation.

If you don't think placing 3rd to an uprgraded Jays team is a concern, maybe YOU are being over confident.

;)

How am I overconfident? I just think that YF's already ordering ring no. 27 on December 21, is hysterical. If the Sox acquired Barry Bonds today, I'd feel good about their chances, but I wouldn't make any foolish predictions.

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 11:57 AM
Damon is a signing I was hoping to avoid. I wanted Jaques Jones instead, but that point is moot thanks to Chicago...

That being said, Cashman has made a GREAT move in signing Damon. Outwardly, it is a great move in that:
1) It is a serious improvement over Williams
2) Weakens Boston in CF and leadoff
3) Gives NY the leadoff hitter we wanted
4) You have to admit the run production he brings whether you like him or not.

The intangibles are the business sense this made. Thankfully, we will not be stuck with him through 4 obviously unproductive seasons like with Williams. Also, his salary is only slighty higher than Williams's, which means the days of overpaying for the sake of overpaying are (temporarily) over. Leave that strategy to the dick heads at MSG.

Another intangible is Damon's hitting style, which includes forcing the pitcher to show all of his stuff in his first two at-bats as he fouls off everything thrown at him. I like that style and it takes pressure off of Jeter.

My final intangible is the mouth on this guy! He is already shooting it off as to how he is the best CF out there and how the Yankees will be tough to beat. GREAT! Show some swagger! Screw that low-key sh*t! Attitude is exactly what the Yankees need and they have never needed it more than now. With the exception of Sheffield, I all too often look at this team as a collection of church mice, never wanting to rock the boat, always keeping things on an even keel, never getting too excited. If you must, fire 'em up!

This is a great signing. Damon even complemented The Boss on his way out of Boston?!?!? Ouch... for Beantown that is. Kudos Cash! I'm not seeing too many holes these days in the Bronx...

Thanks for bringing up his batting style, which i don't think has been mentioned before now. He does fight alot at the plate, and with patient hitters like Giambi further down in the lineup, well, it should be fun.

Yeah i noticed that swagger too, "I'm the best leadoff hitter in the game"...yeah we need some fire, hope he brings it to the team.

Welcome to NY Johnny

Davios
12-21-05, 11:57 AM
How am I overconfident? I just think that YF's already ordering ring no. 27 on December 21, is hysterical. If the Sox acquired Barry Bonds today, I'd feel good about their chances, but I wouldn't make any foolish predictions.

You're criticizing Yankee fans for being foolish? You do realize you're posting on a Yankee board. Who are you exactly trying to convince, them or yourself?

Chairman-of-TheBoard
12-21-05, 11:58 AM

Roger v. the American League is not a fair match. His last season in NY was for a reason. He was shelled more often in 2003 than I would like to remember and in my opinion, he took shelter in Houston. Go ahead and move back to the AL, those bats aren't in awe of you.

rivera,s cutter
12-21-05, 11:59 AM
kudos to cashman!!!!

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 12:00 PM

Like every other Sox fan, thank you for ignoring the argument about the glaring holes on your team, instead focusing on our fans planning on another world series.

That's what we do. Because our team has won ALOT of them. You can be overconfident when you're the best baseball franchise ever.

Now, if you still wish to ignore everything else, please read my sig.

TheMick@ND
I said it's one more reason to bat Jeter #1.

The stats have consistenly shown that Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon. Higher OBP, more P/PA and so on... this adds to it.

Why are people so insistent that Damon is a better leadoff hitter? There's nothing to prove that he is!!!

I'll be glad to be proven wrong, if someone can do it!

I didn't have time to read 30+ pages of posts so I don't know if this was brought up but I have a question regarding this Jeter vs. Damon as leadoff problem.

How is Damon's bat control, I realize with the guys we have coming up after Jeter/Damon we won't want to run ourselves out of an inning but, I've always liked Jeter's ability to punch the ball through the hole on a hit and run, he's also good if Damon doubles at getting him over to third.

I realize Johnny is left handed so maybe its a moot point, but Jeter is a very smart situational hitter and I thought that might be better utilized from the 2 hole. Also, has Johnny ever done anything besides leadoff, is he going to be more comfortable there? Thoughts?

Spiker101
Runs Created is an offensve stat that takes running the bases into consideration. Giles, playing half his game in a horrendous park, created 26 more runs than Damon. If they were in even parks, especially given Giles away numbers, that number would probably be closer to 34. There's no way that Damon's defense helps the team by 34 runs. Furthermore, Damon is a guy that uses his legs to be the ballplayer he is while Giles uses his eye. Damon will lose his legs; Giles will not lose his eye. Lastly, Damon showed signs of breaking down last season while Giles had one of his best seasons. And for those reasons, I was for the signing of Giles to a 3 year deal if he could have been had, and he couldn't have, and was not in favor of signing Damon to a 4 year deal.

Well, if Giles was forced to play CF, his runs created lead over Damon would be dramatically reduced. Giles would be a negative defensive player. The Yanks needed a centerfielder.

More importantly, I wonder about guys like Giles. It's become fashionable to criticize veteran players who want to go to a championship caliber to win a ring in their declining years. I think that criticism is misdirected. I think the criticism should be aimed at players like Giles. He going to be 35 on Opening Day and he hasn't come close to winning a championship. This offseason he was given an opportunity to come on board, but no he passes for another three years with San Diego. He's not going to get a ring in San Diego.
It's his life and he can do what he wants with it, but on my team, I don't want any player who doesn't think the only important thing is to win it all.

keyserhh
12-21-05, 12:02 PM
So responsible that they couldn't afford to keep Pedro, Damon, etc. I'll be the first to admit that Manny, of any player with a huge contract, is worth the money. But to say the Sox didn't want Damon for 4 years is disingenuous, given they offered him 40 million bucks. And really, is $3 million more per year that much of a difference to say that the Yankees were stupid to sign him and the Sox were smart to pass?

i think that's an exaggeration of what im trying to say.

the yankees clearly dont need to subscribe to the rules of the rest of the teams in the league. i was merely trying to say that manny's 18 million over the next 3 years is probably going to result in more production/$ than damon. obv the redsox could not sign damon for 4/52, and neither could, or should, any team have. its different with the yankees, who have the money that other teams dont. the damon signing is good for the yankees for 1-1.5 years, in which he'll put up close to 800 ops and average defense. that his contract will clearly be an albatross once his decline becomes steep(er) may not be relevant b/c the FO has the money to overpay.

it seemed that cashman/FO were no longer taking that approach and i for one thought it was both fiscally smart and baseball-smart. but the pressures of immediate success do skew things. damon improves the yankees for a year and that may be all that is important.

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 12:03 PM
Roger v. the American League is not a fair match. His last season in NY was for a reason. He was shelled more often in 2003 than I would like to remember and in my opinion, he took shelter in Houston. Go ahead and move back to the AL, those bats aren't in awe of you.

Hey...i'm just sayin'. In light of the recent 'betrayal' by Damon, watch for alot of Sox writers to want Clemens back, maybe it'll make them feel as if someone still wants to play for them. I doubt he wants any part of the AL or the Sox anymore, though. I love Clemens and hope he doesn't come back to the AL.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:03 PM
Ok, I'm gonna help us both out here.

Are you saying:
1. Jeter is a better #2 hitter than he (Jeter) is a #1 hitter

or

2. Jeter is a better #2 hitter than Damon is as a #2 hitter

or

3. Damon is a better #1 hitter than Jeter and therefore Jeter should bat #2

Which is it?

I was thinking the first one. But the other two work as well.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:05 PM
I was thinking the first one. But the other two work as well.

Lets clear it all up:

Jeter is a better hitter than Damon, period.

Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon, too.

Because of this Jeter should get the most ABs possible.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:05 PM
I was thinking the first one. But the other two work as well.I'm ok with #1 and #2. #3 is wrong.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:06 PM
Lets clear it all up:

Because of this Jeter should get the most ABs possible.I was waiting for you to show up :)

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:09 PM
Lets clear it all up:

Look, I LOVE Derek Jeter. I agree that he is a better hitter, I just think that it would work to our advantage to have Damon leading off followed by Jeter.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 12:09 PM
Well, if Giles was forced to play CF, his runs created lead over Damon would be dramatically reduced. Giles would be a negative defensive player. The Yanks needed a centerfielder.

More importantly, I wonder about guys like Giles. It's become fashionable to criticize veteran players who want to go to a championship caliber to win a ring in their declining years. I think that criticism is misdirected. I think the criticism should be aimed at players like Giles. He going to be 35 on Opening Day and he hasn't come close to winning a championship. This offseason he was given an opportunity to come on board, but no he passes for another three years with San Diego. He's not going to get a ring in San Diego.
It's his life and he can do what he wants with it, but on my team, I don't want any player who doesn't think the only important thing is to win it all.
No, his runs created would stay the same. Runs created is an offensive stat. My point is that his runs created would outweigh Damon's better defense.

Doesn't Giles have family in SD? Isn't he from there? Either way, I can understand that. Plus, it's not like SD is a horrible team.

38Special
12-21-05, 12:11 PM
Plus, it's not like SD is a horrible team.
Yeah, they finished in first! :D

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 12:11 PM
Look, I LOVE Derek Jeter. I agree that he is a better hitter, I just think that it would work to our advantage to have Damon leading off followed by Jeter.
Jeter is better than Damon and has a higher OBP and therefore should get more AB's. It's not going to happen and it's not a big deal, but Damon's quality of being a leadoff hitter was not needed on this team.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:12 PM
I was waiting for you to show up :)

Luckily, I had no access to a computer last night.

keyserhh
12-21-05, 12:13 PM
i cannot possibly imagine why people are using damon's "runs scored" as an estimation of how many runs he is going to produce. no offense, but if manny and ortiz hit behind you, youre going to score most of the time that you get on base. here are better predictors:

.278/<b>.340</b>/.773 is damon's 2002-2004 away split. expect something like that. he got on base at a 340 clip. at that rate, jeter is much better served in the leadoff spot.

also of note: his obp is 60 pts higher than his BA. compare that to someone who really takes pitches - giambi, whose obp was 170 pts higher, or jeters, whose was 80 pts higher.

is he a good hitter? yes. but what makes a great leadoff guy? on-base percentage. in fact, didnt bernie have higher than a 340 obp in this last corpse-like year?

a friend of mine also pointed out damon's performance in years AFTER HIS contract year. 1st year in oakland: sub-700 ops. first year in boston: 750 ops. hope for something better.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:15 PM
Luckily, I had no access to a computer last night.Yes, you were lucky indeed. It was pretty crazy in here.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:16 PM
i cannot possibly imagine why people are using damon's "runs scored" as an estimation of how many runs he is going to produce. no offense, but if manny and ortiz hit behind you, youre going to score most of the time that you get on base. here are better predictors:

You don't think Damon will score if Jeter, Sheff, A-rod, Giambi, and Matsui hit behind him?

NyQuil
12-21-05, 12:18 PM
I don't feel lke sifting throughthe 500 posts that have been added to this since it started last night. Any news on a press conderence?

Chairman-of-TheBoard
Hey...i'm just sayin'. In light of the recent 'betrayal' by Damon, watch for alot of Sox writers to want Clemens back, maybe it'll make them feel as if someone still wants to play for them. I doubt he wants any part of the AL or the Sox anymore, though. I love Clemens and hope he doesn't come back to the AL.

No, I agree with you that Boston will want a bit of nostalgia in a hurry. Like you pointed out, Roger WILL get rocked in the AL. He just doesn't have it anymore.

keyserhh
You don't think Damon will score if Jeter, Sheff, A-rod, Giambi, and Matsui hit behind him?

of course - but that's a measure of their production, not his. what i mean is that sure, damon will score 100+ runs b/c of who hits behind him. but someone who gets on base at an above average clip would score quite a bit more. what im tryign to say is his high runs scored numbers probably have to do with who hits behind him than some "intrinsic run scoring ability" of his. in fact, his "intrinsic run scoring ability" - his ability to get on base - is nothing to shout about.

climbingspaz
12-21-05, 12:19 PM
not sure if this quote has been posted yet, but . . . it's amazing how things change.

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard," he said on May 3. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

from: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051220&content_id=1285418&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

personally, i am in favor of the yanks signing damon, especially because it is a four year deal. if JD's arm falls off, we can always slide him to left, move matsui to right, and plunk melky in CF.

the hole it leaves in the sox lineup ... for now ... is also fun.

Spiker101
12-21-05, 12:21 PM
Jeter is better than Damon and has a higher OBP and therefore should get more AB's. It's not going to happen and it's not a big deal, but Damon's quality of being a leadoff hitter was not needed on this team.

This is ancedotal, so take it for what it's worth. The Sox players often said that Damon's most important value as a leadoff hitter was that he somehow made the starter show his entire repetoire of pitches, so they had a better idea of what the guy had that particular day. Damon is always near the top in number of pitches seen. jeter or Damon is fine. I'm not one of those guys who thinks the order of the lineup is all that crucial.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 12:22 PM
This is ancedotal, so take it for what it's worth. The Sox players often said that Damon's most important value as a leadoff hitter was that he somehow made the starter show his entire repetoire of pitches, so they had a better idea of what the guy had that particular day. Damon is always near the top in number of pitches seen. jeter or Damon is fine. I'm not one of those guys who thinks the order of the lineup is all that crucial.
Jeter, on average, saw more pitches than Damon did last season. Little known fact.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:23 PM
At this point, I'd take the Blue jays in 2nd and the Saux in 3rd, the Jays staff should be better than satsifactory, with a better bullpen, and a solid hitting line up. :eek:

They are missing an impact bat. If they somehow got one, which doesnn't look likely this offseason, they would be a fantastic team all around

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:24 PM
Jeter, on average, saw more pitches than Damon did last season. Little known fact.

Really? That surprises me.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:25 PM

the 25 point discrepancy in their OBPs doesn't mean anything to you?

effdamets
12-21-05, 12:27 PM
Runs Created is an offensve stat that takes running the bases into consideration. Giles, playing half his game in a horrendous park, created 26 more runs than Damon. If they were in even parks, especially given Giles away numbers, that number would probably be closer to 34. There's no way that Damon's defense helps the team by 34 runs. Furthermore, Damon is a guy that uses his legs to be the ballplayer he is while Giles uses his eye. Damon will lose his legs; Giles will not lose his eye. Lastly, Damon showed signs of breaking down last season while Giles had one of his best seasons. And for those reasons, I was for the signing of Giles to a 3 year deal if he could have been had, and he couldn't have, and was not in favor of signing Damon to a 4 year deal.
One big difference.... Giles isn't a centerfielder....

gdn
12-21-05, 12:27 PM
Really? That surprises me.Yep. It's true.

OBP
Jeter: .389
Damon: .366
Both very good, but the edge goes to Jeter

OBP when leading off an inning
Jeter .409
Damon .365
For all of the "clutch" and "situational" guys, Jeter is even better

Runs (Also known as the way the score is kept)
Jeter: 122
Damon: 117
The Yankees and Red Sox are about even in the middle of the order, so we can call this close to even

Plate appearance to runs scored ratio (PA/R)
Jeter: 5.88
Damon: 6.16
Wait a minute, Jeter scored more often per plate appearance than Damon?

Average pitches seen per plate appearance
Jeter: 3.82
Damon: 3.72
Judging by this stat, Jeter was actually a little more patient than Damon, even though their reputations suggest otherwise.

Stolen bases
Jeter: 14
Damon: 18
For those who don't know, neither team likes to steal bases. But I guess we'll give that edge to Damon.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/yankees/news.asp?news_id=1532

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:29 PM
Yep. It's true.

good stats

SINCE77 2
12-21-05, 12:29 PM

Who is the better #2 hitter? Thats what we need to answer here.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:30 PM
good statsThat's what I've been saying all along. I even had to put it in my sig because no one was listening to me. :p

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:30 PM

exactly. Jeter is the better number 2 hitter. Who knows what would happen if we put Damon in the 2 spot. Has he ever been anything but a leadoff hitter? I guess we could give it a try though.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:31 PM
That's what I've been saying all along. I even had to put it in my sig because no one was listening to me. :p

the problem is, jeter is also the better #2 hitter...

gdn
exactly. Jeter is the better number 2 hitter. Who knows what would happen if we put Damon in the 2 spot. Has he ever been anything but a leadoff hitter? I guess we could give it a try though.Jeter GIDP 2.5 times more than Damon, ergo, Jeter should lead off.

I'm serious.

JeffWeaverFan
Really? That surprises me.

Jeter saw 3.82 pitches per AB and Damon saw 3.72.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:32 PM

Who cares? They have the same skillset, and one is going to get more ABs than the other. You want the better player to get more ABs.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:32 PM

Jeter saw 3.82 pitches per AB and Damon saw 3.72.

How many times did Jeter swing at the first pitch?

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:33 PM
Jeter GIDP 2.5 times more than Damon, ergo, Jeter should lead off.

I'm serious.

Leadoff hitter also get the chance to ground into double plays.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 12:33 PM
One big difference.... Giles isn't a centerfielder....
I originally wanted to sign him to play RF and have Sheff DH. Giles can play CF though.

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 12:34 PM
How many times did Jeter swing at the first pitch?
Just from remembering Jeter last season, probably a good amount. Still though, on average, Jeter sees more pitchers than Damon.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:35 PM
Just from remembering Jeter last season, probably a good amount. Still though, on average, Jeter sees more pitchers than Damon.

Yes, and its amazing Damon sees almost the same amount of pitches since he K's less and walks less

PoughVirginiaYankee
Has anyone read Jim Caple's article yet? Im sorry I've missed a few pages here, so I dont know if this was already discussed. But frankly, it disgusts me!! :eek: AHH. It's really outrageous. The only argument I have against Damon, and see being a legitimate con against him, is his age and decreasing abilities. I think that was really annulled with only a four year deal. Ok, here are a few of my favorite :uhh: quotes...

"No, the problem is not that Damon left the Red Sox. The problem is he signed with a team that's all wrong for him.

The problem is the dress code.

Forget about his batting leadoff ahead of Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, Sheffield and Matsui (though I am a little worried about the No. 8 spot in New York's lineup). Forget about all those runs he should score. The thing that should worry Yankees fans (other than his arm) is that Damon is going to play for someone who has this thing about hair."

Seriously, he must be kidding. I really think he's half-joking, but even still he is being ridiculous. Then he talks about Giambi on the side...
"I've long maintained that Giambi's biggest mistake was not his decision to take steroids, it was signing with the Yankees. Steroids didn't hurt Giambi's career, they helped it. It was signing with the Yankees that ruined him. He went from being a wild, long-haired, free spirit in Oakland to playing for the most conservative team in sports. He cut his hair, shaved his face and covered up his tattoos -- and he's never been the same player. Without his true personality, he's a lesser player. He's been domesticated. Putting him in the Yankees clubhouse was like capturing a lion and putting him in a zoo."

This is where I really don't think he's half kidding - and it pisses me off, as I hope it does for you all too:

"He's also going to hear boos in New York. His signing doesn't begin to help the Yankees' considerable pitching needs. Unless the Yankees solve those needs, they will struggle and Damon will become their scapegoat."

This is a bunch of BS. Considerable pitching needs - keep on grabbing at straws Caple...keep it coming.... yes, our plethora of starting pitching, and our nice additions of Farnsworth, Dotel, Myers, not to mention Villone. Sure it might not work out that way, but to say we have considerable pitching needs is completely BS. BLAH BLAH BLAH!

SheffRocks11
Who cares? They have the same skillset, and one is going to get more ABs than the other. You want the better player to get more ABs.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

So technically A-rod should bat first.

gdn
Leadoff hitter also get the chance to ground into double plays.Here's my convoluted reasoning:

Jeter and Damon both get on base fairly well, however Jeter hits into double plays more than Damon, so Jeter should go before Damon, so that there's a man on base with little DP chance. If it were the other way round and Damon got on base consistently before Jeter, there's a higher chance of him GIDP.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:36 PM
Yes, and its amazing Damon sees almost the same amount of pitches since he K's less and walks lessHe's a tough out apparently.

How many pitches does he foul off compared to Jeter?

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:38 PM
Leadoff hitter also get the chance to ground into double plays.

Jeter led the AL in G/F ratio last year at 2.69

Damon was less than half of that at 1.29.

They both led off.

Who do you want batting second again?

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:40 PM
Jeter led the AL in G/F ratio last year at 2.69

Damon was less than half of that at 1.29.

They both led off.

Who do you want batting second again?

Regardless of where Jeter hits in the lineup, he will still hit ground balls, which still lead to double plays.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:40 PM
So technically A-rod should bat first.

Not my point here (but one that isn't as absurd as you think), you'll have to read my post a bit closer.

"...they have the same skillset..."

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 12:41 PM
Has anyone read Jim Caple's article yet? Im sorry I've missed a few pages here, so I dont know if this was already discussed. But frankly, it disgusts me!! :eek: AHH. It's really outrageous. The only argument I have against Damon, and see being a legitimate con against him, is his age and decreasing abilities. I think that was really annulled with only a four year deal. Ok, here are a few of my favorite :uhh: quotes...

"No, the problem is not that Damon left the Red Sox. The problem is he signed with a team that's all wrong for him.

The problem is the dress code.

Forget about his batting leadoff ahead of Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, Sheffield and Matsui (though I am a little worried about the No. 8 spot in New York's lineup). Forget about all those runs he should score. The thing that should worry Yankees fans (other than his arm) is that Damon is going to play for someone who has this thing about hair."

Seriously, he must be kidding. I really think he's half-joking, but even still he is being ridiculous. Then he talks about Giambi on the side...
"I've long maintained that Giambi's biggest mistake was not his decision to take steroids, it was signing with the Yankees. Steroids didn't hurt Giambi's career, they helped it. It was signing with the Yankees that ruined him. He went from being a wild, long-haired, free spirit in Oakland to playing for the most conservative team in sports. He cut his hair, shaved his face and covered up his tattoos -- and he's never been the same player. Without his true personality, he's a lesser player. He's been domesticated. Putting him in the Yankees clubhouse was like capturing a lion and putting him in a zoo."

This is where I really don't think he's half kidding - and it pisses me off, as I hope it does for you all too:

"He's also going to hear boos in New York. His signing doesn't begin to help the Yankees' considerable pitching needs. Unless the Yankees solve those needs, they will struggle and Damon will become their scapegoat."

This is a bunch of BS. Considerable pitching needs - keep on grabbing at straws Caple...keep it coming.... yes, our plethora of starting pitching, and our nice additions of Farnsworth, Dotel, Myers, not to mention Villone. Sure it might not work out that way, but to say we have considerable pitching needs is completely BS. BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Caple the Yankee-hater, all he can come up with is saying that Damon will never be the same.....because he shaves.

Nevermind he was a good player in Oakland, or before he grew the Jesus beard in Boston. He even said Giambi "was never the same".
Except comeback player of the year...

Caple is worthtless and rants like a little kid. I'm interested in seeing Simmons' reaction though :D

Evil Empire

Precisley.

StaceyRosie

Covered his tattoos? Oh you mean with his sleeves dickface?

What an idiot. Yeah Giambi sucks he only had an MVP caliber year his first year here. Douche.

As for Damon I'm still shellshocked and can't comment any further until I calm down.

Snatch Catch
Regardless of where Jeter hits in the lineup, he will still hit ground balls, which still lead to double plays.

So why not lessen the amount of chances he has by roughly 25%?

I can't believe this is actually being debated.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:42 PM

What an idiot. Yeah Giambi sucks he only had an MVP caliber year his first year here. Douche.

As for Damon I'm still shellshocked and can't comment any further until I calm down.

He and Giambi are friends from their Oakland days, Giambi may have had a hand in this.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-21-05, 12:43 PM

HAHA THANK YOU STACEY...I was hoping for a reaction from you regarding his Giambi comment....

shotgun_sam
He and Giambi are friends from their Oakland days, Giambi may have had a hand in this.

He DID say that player recruitment played a major role..

gdn
So why not lessen the amount of chances he has by roughly 25%?

I can't believe this is actually being debated.I think the strongest argument for batting Jeter 2nd is that Damon has not batted in that spot in the lineup and would do a better job batting 1st as compared to 2nd, whereas Jeter has batted both 1st and 2nd and has done well in each spot.

I don't agree, but I can understand that.

StaceyRosie
12-21-05, 12:44 PM

Johnny Damon has been quoted saying Giambi was his favorite teammate, ever.

No I meant I can't comment on what every one has been debating about Damon because I still don't know how I feel about this signing.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 12:44 PM
Jeter GIDP 2.5 times more than Damon, ergo, Jeter should lead off.

I'm serious.

If you say ergo one more time....:p

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 12:45 PM
I think the strongest argument for batting Jeter 2nd is that Damon has not batted in that spot in the lineup and would do a better job batting 1st as compared to 2nd, whereas Jeter has batted both 1st and 2nd and has done well in each spot.

I don't agree, but I can understand that.

I can't understand it. There is factual evidence that supports Jeter leading off over Damon, and none that supports the opposite.

StaceyRosie
HAHA THANK YOU STACEY...I was hoping for a reaction from you regarding his Giambi comment....

I aim to please. Jason Giambi should really hire me and pay me to defend him. I'm just so good at it.

I seriously think I'm on a watch list around the country. I'm always sending angry emails to people. :lol:

Mainly because they're bitter and stupid

gdn
If you say ergo one more time....:pIt's in my CUT, ergo I have to use it.

Btw, your sig needs to be in caps.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 12:47 PM
It's in my CUT, ergo I have to use it.

Btw, your sig needs to be in caps.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

shotgun_sam
If you say ergo one more time....:p

am i the sam in your sig line?

SheffRocks11
Johnny Damon has been quoted saying Giambi was his favorite teammate, ever.

Even over the clubhouse leader Ortiz?;)

gdn
I can't understand it. There is factual evidence that supports Jeter leading off over Damon, and none that supports the opposite.I know there's a name for this theory - I just can't think of it. Goes something like this: A can do 1 & 2 well, B can only do 1 well. In order to maximize output, A should do 2 and B should do 1. Otherwise, output would suffer because A would be doing 1 (same as if he were doing 2) and B would be doing 2 (significantly worse than if he were doing 1).

There's no evidence, ofcourse, that Damon would stink it up in the 2 spot (only 318ABs, I believe).

gdn
12-21-05, 12:48 PM
Riiiiiiiiiight.HEY! Atleast I got you to use my smiley!!!! :p :p :p :p :p

:D

:cheer:

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-21-05, 12:49 PM
My favorite part of the Caple BS story is reading it in comparison to the ESPN's Daily Quickie's article...I like this quote from them

"But is anyone really surprised by Damon's move? All money being equal, Damon had been eyeing the New York stage since he got his first taste of national fame. For a player with star aspirations perhaps beyond baseball, New York is the only city to be in."

Snatch Catch
I know there's a name for this theory - I just can't think of it. Goes something like this: A can do 1 & 2 well, B can only do 1 well. In order to maximize output, A should do 2 and B should do 1. Otherwise, output would suffer because A would be doing 1 (same as if he were doing 2) and B would be doing 2 (significantly worse than if he were doing 1).

There's no evidence, ofcourse, that Damon would stink it up in the 2 spot (only 318ABs, I believe).

That's my point. There is no evidence that Damon can't hit 2nd.

And seeing that Jeter is clearly the superior leadoff hitter, there is no reason to move him out of that position because fans "feel" certain ways.

SheffRocks11
I know there's a name for this theory - I just can't think of it. Goes something like this: A can do 1 & 2 well, B can only do 1 well. In order to maximize output, A should do 2 and B should do 1. Otherwise, output would suffer because A would be doing 1 (same as if he were doing 2) and B would be doing 2 (significantly worse than if he were doing 1).

Sounds a lot more confusing than it really is.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 12:50 PM
am i the sam in your sig line?

No. The silly Sam18. You're the cool Sam. :)

gdn
12-21-05, 12:51 PM
That's my point. There is no evidence that Damon can't hit 2nd.

And seeing that Jeter is clearly the superior leadoff hitter, there is no reason to move him out of that position because fans "feel" certain ways.I agree with you.

Is it the purchashing power parity theory... damnit, I can't remember.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:52 PM
Sounds a lot more confusing than it really is.It would be correct, as Snatch pointed out, if there was any real evidence that Damon couldn't hit in the #2 spot. If Damon hit equally well in the #1 or #2 spot, then Jeter should hit leadoff because he's the better leadoff hitter.

mhmajp
12-21-05, 12:52 PM
Yeah. And instead of "We're just a bunch of idiots." he will have to say "We are just a bunch of consummate professionals."

Or: We're just a bunch of emperors! :D

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 12:54 PM
It would be correct, as Snatch pointed out, if there was any real evidence that Damon couldn't hit in the #2 spot. If Damon hit equally well in the #1 or #2 spot, then Jeter should hit leadoff because he's the better leadoff hitter.

Sure. If we try hitting Damon in the 2 spot and he does well, then I'm all for it.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:56 PM
Sure. If we try hitting Damon in the 2 spot and he does well, then I'm all for it.That's how the lineup should be to start off the year. If he stinks it up in the #2 slot, then switch 'em.

I'd like to see:

Jeter
Damon
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheff
Matsui
Cano
Posada
DH

I wouldn't mind switching A-Rod/Giambi.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 12:58 PM
Whose the better bunter, Jeter or Damon? Who is better at the hit and run? These are usually aspects of a #2 hitter.

RobRiv
12-21-05, 01:02 PM
I'd like to see:

Jeter
Damon
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheff
Matsui
Cano
Posada
DH

Yup. Pencil in Bernie @ #9 and away we go! Glaring lack of speed at the bottom of the order, but not an easy out in the bunch.

Kceracerone
12-21-05, 01:03 PM
I'm somewhat indifferent to this signing. The Yankees will be a better team in 2006 with Damon on the team. He represents a significant overall upgrade at the cf position over Bernie and Bubba as he will improve an already potent lineup. Damon, in his prime, will be one of the better leadoff hitters in the game.

I am concerned about his defense though. Just from my personal observations, his range seems to have significantly decreased over the past four years with Boston. I am not convinced that he is the answer to our defensively challenged outfield for the next few years. I realize that he is only 31 but a significant portion of his game (read defense) is based upon his speed. I'm not confident that he will be able to prevent the deterioration of his speed with his off-season program of chasing cars.

IMHO the Sox got lucky in this one but not overpaying an aging veteran that would tie up their financial flexiblity. I think that they have already overpaid for Varitek and Renteria and by adding Damon they would have clogged up their roster with highly-paid/solid players. Unless, you have alot of payroll flexibility or have the knack to fill holes with bargain signings this will lead to a team that has some glaring holes. There is no doubt that the team will be weaker in 2006 but they should be poised to be better in 2007 and beyond. With Schilling's and Foulke's health still in question, it makes perfect sense to try and replace their aging core over a two-year period so they will be ready to challenge the Yankees again.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 01:05 PM
I'm somewhat indifferent to this signing. The Yankees will be a better team in 2006 with Damon on the team. He represents a significant overall upgrade at the cf position over Bernie and Bubba as he will improve an already potent lineup. Damon, in his prime, will be one of the better leadoff hitters in the game.

I am concerned about his defense though. Just from my personal observations, his range seems to have significantly decreased over the past four years with Boston. I am not convinced that he is the answer to our defensively challenged outfield for the next few years. I realize that he is only 31 but a significant portion of his game (read defense) is based upon his speed. I'm not confident that he will be able to prevent the deterioration of his speed with his off-season program of chasing cars.

IMHO the Sox got lucky in this one but not overpaying an aging veteran that would tie up their financial flexiblity. I think that they have already overpaid for Varitek and Renteria and by adding Damon they would have clogged up their roster with highly-paid/solid players. Unless, you have alot of payroll flexibility or have the knack to fill holes with bargain signings this will lead to a team that has some glaring holes. There is no doubt that the team will be weaker in 2006 but they should be poised to be better in 2007 and beyond. With Schilling's and Foulke's health still in question, it makes perfect sense to try and replace their aging core over a two-year period so they will be ready to challenge the Yankees again.

His defense is not the best, and he has a weak arm, but it is a significant improvement over bernie.

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:05 PM
It would be correct, as Snatch pointed out, if there was any real evidence that Damon couldn't hit in the #2 spot. If Damon hit equally well in the #1 or #2 spot, then Jeter should hit leadoff because he's the better leadoff hitter.
I didn't want to throw my 2 cents in here, because I really don't care who hits first or second, as long as the pitchers pitch and the Yankees win...

But I felt very compelled to comment on the "no evidence" arguement.

Let me preface this by saying that Derek Jeter has better numbers as a lead off hitter than Johnny Damon. It is personal preference at this point on who anyone feels should hit leadoff or bat second, because we all know, Torre will bat Damon first...

The 'no evidence' is a poor point. It is very much like saying Randy Johnson should close for the Yankees because there is no real evidence that he cannot do it. And, the two times I have seen Johnson come in and close, he succeeded. So, I think 'experimenting' with Damon in the 2 hole is not really a good choice because putting Jeter there is a sure thing, and that's what the Yankees are about.... Sure things!

climbingspaz
12-21-05, 01:07 PM
i like it. i love it. with all due disrespect to tim mcgraw.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/1221/photo/damon_275.jpg

ReggieBar
I didn't want to throw my 2 cents in here, because I really don't care who hits first or second, as long as the pitchers pitch and the Yankees win...

But I felt very compelled to comment on the "no evidence" arguement.

Let me preface this by saying that Derek Jeter has better numbers as a lead off hitter than Johnny Damon. It is personal preference at this point on who anyone feels should hit leadoff or bat second, because we all know, Torre will bat Damon first...

The 'no evidence' is a poor point. It is very much like saying Randy Johnson should close for the Yankees because there is no real evidence that he cannot do it. And, the two times I have seen Johnson come in and close, he succeeded. So, I think 'experimenting' with Damon in the 2 hole is not really a good choice because putting Jeter there is a sure thing, and that's what the Yankees are about.... Sure things!

2 cents well spent.

Evil Empire
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/cferraro/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/sports/untitled.bmp:evil:

i like it. i love it. with all due disrespect to tim mcgraw.

Ya can't link stuff from your Hard Drive online dude. Get some hosting like www.photobucket.com :)

Soriambi
I'm pretty much right in the middle on this move, leaning ever so slightly towards supporting it. There's no doubt that Damon makes this team much better than if Crosby or Williams were in CF next year, so on that front I think that it's a good move, especially since I don't know exactly where the Yankees stood on the trade front for other CFers, past rumors. Also, it was good that they didn't go over four years with the contract.

However, the money is just way too much for a player of his abilities, and I would have liked it more if it was a three year deal. I'm usually not concerned with the money that they pay, as it's not my money, but 13 million dollars a year for a player that I'd classify as above average or pretty good, but no better than that, is a lot of money. Also, he'll hit leadoff, when he should really hit second, because Jeter is a better hitter and a better leadoff hitter. I do like that Torre won't be tempted to hit Cano 2nd any more, though.

I don't love the move as much as some here, but I don't hate it as much as others. I don't agree with the "true leadoff hitter" argument at all, as Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon, as I said, and I think that Jeter should hit leadoff, though it's obviously not going to happen. I also don't think that he's necessarily going to decline greatly. It's very possible, but just because Bernie declined doesn't mean that Damon will. it wouldn't be unprecedented for a player to stay near the level that he's at until he's 35 or 36.

I'm okay with it. No more, no less. Hopefully he can give us 3-4 pretty good years.

The Q Bomb
12-21-05, 01:08 PM
You would not have enjoyed watching Babe Ruth play right, Red Ruffing, Roger Clemens or Luis Tiant start, Sparky Lyle relieve, Wade Boggs play third/ride on police horses. Not to mention to reverse joy of watching Mike Torrez pitch to Bucky Dent.
Most of those situations you listed are different from Damon signing with The Yanks yesterday. The NY - Boston rivalry hadn't even begun when we got Ruth and Ruffing. Roger Clemens was a bit hard to take but at least he had that stop in Toronto. As for Boggs - I wasn't wild about that but he wasn't as symbolic of The Red Sox and wasn't the "anti-Yank" figure that Damon was. I'm sorry - this signing stinks - for a number of reasons. I hope he proves me wrong - very wrong. And even if he does, I still won't like it.

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:08 PM
2 cents well spent.
Thanks Reg! Now that is what I can good value!!!!

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 01:09 PM

Why don't we just try batting Damon in the 2 hole in the preseason and see how it goes. If he sucks, put him back in the leadoff spot.

climbingspaz
12-21-05, 01:09 PM
Ya can't link stuff from your Hard Drive online dude. Get some hosting like www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com/) :)

first time trying to post a photo. i edited it and fixed the issue. and yes, i'm proud of myself.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 01:11 PM
first time trying to post a photo. i edited it and fixed the issue. and yes, i'm proud of myself.

Congrats :lol: :)

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 01:11 PM

good job! it took me forever to learn how to do that. I'm computer illiterate.

Karma Shift
12-21-05, 01:12 PM
Whether Damon will be successful or not as a Yankee depends on George's policy. If I were George, I would not insist on Damon cutting his long hair. Let Damon be a caveman and Samson. George, please do not be a Delilah!

BobbyMurcerFan
12-21-05, 01:13 PM
I can't see how Cash and the Yankees DON'T make this deal. It improves us, and it also hurts the Sox bigtime. Not only do they lose their leadoff hitter and CFer they also lose a fan favorite.

While I don't like what Damon has done against the Yankees, think he's probably overrated defensively, and am not a crazy about his personality, I do think he will be a big upgrade.

Logically, all things conisdered, I simply can't argue with this move.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 01:14 PM
Whether Damon will be successful or not as a Yankee depends on George's policy. If I were George, I would not insist on Damon cutting his long hair. Let Damon be a caveman and Samson. George, please do not be a Delilah!

I doubt his playing has anything to do with how long his hair is.

And no way Steinbrenner will make an exception for Damon.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 01:14 PM

Hair has nothing to do with it. He's a good player with or without it.

ZIM 2002
12-21-05, 01:15 PM
I,m with you Q Bomb, I won't be able to like this signing even if he does well.He even wrote a book on the REd Sox WS win - he's just too much a Red Sock for me to accept as a Yankee, at least at this point. Maybe when he shaves and cuts his hair I'll try to forget his origins.

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 01:16 PM

That's a poor analogy. A closer and a starter are two wholly different roles.

Batting first and second in a lineup are different, but mostly because of the weight that each position carries. The leadoff man gets more PAs.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 01:21 PM

Batting first and second in a lineup are different, but mostly because of the weight that each position carries. The leadoff man gets more PAs.

I think it is fair to say that Jeter is a proven 2 man with the ability to handle the bat (something he did less of as a leadoff hitter, thus the more DP's?) And as far as having more PA's, how many are we talking about? They bat right after each other.

SoxIn4
12-21-05, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/051221

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 01:22 PM

we've already discussed this stupid article.

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:23 PM

The point was if we would prefer to go with the unknown or the known....

BW51
12-21-05, 01:24 PM
That's how the lineup should be to start off the year. If he stinks it up in the #2 slot, then switch 'em.

I'd like to see:

Jeter
Damon
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheff
Matsui
Cano
Posada
DH

I wouldn't mind switching A-Rod/Giambi.

I hate seeing 3 rights, as in jeter, arod, and sheff as u would see in other typical lineups other than yours, but really i think the tough part about alternatives is that it moves sheffield down, and i think that one of the toughest things to do is to move sheffield lower than cleanup

ICEBERG18
12-21-05, 01:25 PM
Lets clear it all up:

It should go without saying that Damon should not lead off for the Yankees. Derek Jeter remains the best man for the job. If you need me to rehearse that story for you again I will — it should be obvious to anyone with eyes. For now, let me reiterate this: any sportswriter who insists that Damon should lead off because he's "traditional" has had his brain devoured by maggots.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/yankees/pinstripedblog.asp

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 01:25 PM

That might be the worst example of journalism I've ever seen.

Maynerd
12-21-05, 01:26 PM
What an embarassment of riches. There are a couple dozen (or more) teams out there who would love to be able to argue whether their better option was:
Jeter-Damon-ARod-Giambi or
Damon-Jeter-ARod-Giambi or
Jeter-Damon-Giambi-ARod or
Damon-Jeter-Giambi-ARod.

Heh. Joe can almost pull names out of a hat to set the lineup. This team is gonna score a lot of runs.

SoxIn4
12-21-05, 01:28 PM

Why? Are you afraid its true? There are lots of examples of players being "wrong" for a certain team. Happens all the time.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-21-05, 01:32 PM
Well I would have liked 3 years better but 4 is ok too, I just hope that Jeter still leadoff and Damon bats second. Jeters OBP is higher

C-BUS CLIPPER
12-21-05, 01:33 PM
we've already discussed this stupid article.

Yep. Sour Grapes.

Kceracerone
12-21-05, 01:34 PM
It should go without saying that Damon should not lead off for the Yankees. Derek Jeter remains the best man for the job. If you need me to rehearse that story for you again I will — it should be obvious to anyone with eyes. For now, let me reiterate this: any sportswriter who insists that Damon should lead off because he's "traditional" has had his brain devoured by maggots.

It may go without saying, but I doubt it will go without seeing. I fully expect Joe to bat Damon in the leadoff spot. I hope I'm wrong, but after watching Womack and Cano spend significant amounts of time in the two-hole, I'm not going to hold my breath.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 01:35 PM
Why? Are you afraid its true? There are lots of examples of players being "wrong" for a certain team. Happens all the time.

I'd love to know a few. The Giambi example is wrong. He loves it here and has had success. Damon's "spirit" doesn't disappear with the hair. He will play hard and play to win.

Some players aren't comfortable in NY, but that is a different thing. Damon will love the pressure and his teammates.

brosiusbuddy
12-21-05, 01:38 PM
i never really wanted damon on the yanks, but i have to say, Cash did a good job with this.

the trade route for anyone good was not going to work because every team wanted cano and wang no matter who the deal involved. cashman stood firm that he would not trade those two and thats a good thing. building for the future.

there was also no good options in the FA market aside from damon. so we were kind of stuck with bubba.

damon is getting a lot, but only for 4 years rather than 7. his biggest problem is his poor arm, but at least he covers a lot of ground.

my only major problem with this move is we lose the opportunity to take a stab at either torii hunter, andruw jones or mike cameron next season when all of them are FA's. i would have liked to see a stop gap in CF for '06, but at least damon, as we all know, is an all around good cf'er

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:38 PM
I'd love to know a few. The Giambi example is wrong. He loves it here and has had success. Damon's "spirit" doesn't disappear with the hair. He will play hard and play to win.

Some players aren't comfortable in NY, but that is a different thing. Damon will love the pressure and his teammates.
You got to say it before my screen would refresh.... It's just another example of RS fans trying to believe something to be true. (like a curse... yeah right)

PittsburghYankeeFan
12-21-05, 01:39 PM

How about 4th place? The Rays have some spunk...:)

JfromJersey

Caple's a notorious Yankee hater. Anything that pisses him off makes me happy.
His argument about free spirited personalities not doing well as Yankees is so wrong it's laughable. Cone and Wells were free spirits who did quite well here, and Giambi's first full season as a Yankee wasn't too shabby either.

ReggieBar
Well I would have liked 3 years better but 4 is ok too, I just hope that Jeter still leadoff and Damon bats second. Jeters OBP is higher

This is the thing.....Jeter has PROVEN to be adept at the 2 hole. I don't see why Jeter should bat leadoff just b/c he has a higher OBP when they both will be at the top and be getting on base for the middle of the order.

ICEBERG18
12-21-05, 01:40 PM
Can these ESPN anchors please stop saying theirs now a shifting of power in the AL east?

When's the last time we lost the division? Exactly. Oh, and i still want Erubiel Durazo. ;)

SoxIn4
12-21-05, 01:40 PM

Giambi loves playing in NY? I've heard numerous stories about how he regrets leaving Oakland. What about Weaver and Vasquez with the Yanks, and Renteria and Clement in Boston? To think there's no such thing as a "bad fit" for some players, is naive.

38Special
12-21-05, 01:41 PM
Can these ESPN anchors please stop saying theirs now a shifting of power in the AL east?

When's the last time we lost the division? Exactly. Oh, and i still want Erubiel Durazo. ;)
Erubiel wont be healthy to start the year. I'd rather trade for Abreu ;)

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Andruw Jones is NOT a free agent after the 2006 season. He will become a free agent after the 2007 season.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 01:43 PM
Giambi loves playing in NY? I've heard numerous stories about how he regrets leaving Oakland. What about Weaver and Vasquez with the Yanks, and Renteria and Clement in Boston? To think there's no such thing as a "bad fit" for some players, is naive.

Wait, wait. We aren't talking just bad fit here. We were talking about the reason Caple GAVE for Damon, which was the "free spirit" reason.

silverdsl
12-21-05, 01:44 PM
Some players aren't comfortable in NY, but that is a different thing. Damon will love the pressure and his teammates.I also think Damon will be very comfortable in New York. He obviously loves the spotlight, has no problem with the intense media focus he had to deal with in Boston, loves vocal fans and has no issues playing under pressure. Being friends with Giambi I'm sure that he is well aware of exactly how bad it can get in terms of the media and the fans when things don't go quite right for a player or for the team.

-Deborah

38Special
12-21-05, 01:46 PM
Posting Jim Caple articles on NYYfans is always a good idea

http://tinypic.com/ixtu3b.jpg

PittsburghYankeeFan
12-21-05, 01:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Andruw Jones is NOT a free agent after the 2006 season. He will become a free agent after the 2007 season.

Correct.

So we use Damon for 2 years in CF, then obtain Jones or Torii Hunter (also FA in 08) and shift Damon to right or left.

effdamets
12-21-05, 01:51 PM
I also think Damon will be very comfortable in New York. He obviously loves the spotlight, has no problem with the intense media focus he had to deal with in Boston, loves vocal fans and has no issues playing under pressure. Being friends with Giambi I'm sure that he is well aware of exactly how bad it can get in terms of the media and the fans when things don't go quite right for a player or for the team.

-Deborah
I'd take this even one step further... Not only will Damon shove... err... do well in NY as a Yankee, I think he helps Giambi finally put up the kind of numbers he is capable of putting up.... (this is 100% my opinion) Jason has been "out of sorts" since that first season. I think Damon helps him get back. As for Giambi regretting leaving Choakland? I have never heard such a rumor and I read just about every article published about the Yankees...

Maynerd
12-21-05, 01:51 PM
my only major problem with this move is we lose the opportunity to take a stab at either torii hunter, andruw jones or mike cameron next season when all of them are FA's. i would have liked to see a stop gap in CF for '06, but at least damon, as we all know, is an all around good cf'er
Torii Hunter is nothing to get excited about. Good for the highlight reel, but not a big asset in the lineup. He's way over-rated.
Andruw Jones isn't a free agent until after '07.
Mike Cameron is no better than Damon.

Why put a stop-gap in the lineup for a year, hoping to sign an 'OK' CF, when you can collect an All Star now?

You've got to give up something to bring in talent: either money, or years, or players, or prospects, or some combination. We got Damon for just money. OK, maybe the fourth year will be marginal, so you can sprinkle in just a touch of 'years.' Me likey.

JfromJersey
12-21-05, 01:52 PM
Wait, wait. We aren't talking just bad fit here. We were talking about the reason Caple GAVE for Damon, which was the "free spirit" reason.

That free spirit argument is such a crock it's not even funny.. and did anyone call Damon this free spirit when he was with the Royals? He adapted to the "idiot" culture with the Red Sox, and he'll adapt to the more conservative Yankee culture.

ICEBERG18
Erubiel wont be healthy to start the year. I'd rather trade for Abreu ;)

If you can get him, bring him on down.

JeterRodriguezSheff
This is the thing.....Jeter has PROVEN to be adept at the 2 hole. I don't see why Jeter should bat leadoff just b/c he has a higher OBP when they both will be at the top and be getting on base for the middle of the order.

Damons last season was .366 jeters was like 20 points higher and damons career obp is .353 jeters career obp is like 30 points higher. That isnt a small difference

wileedog
12-21-05, 01:54 PM

Weaver apparently was never a very good pitcher to begin with. As much as I (wrongly, I suppose) lobbied against dealing him, Javy didn't do much in Arizona to suggest the Yankee clubhouse was the problem.

More importantly, Damon doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will show up here and simply try to conform, which is what Giambi did. If anything he might create more of an atmosphere for the more 'free-spirited' guys like Giambi and RJ to let their hair down a little (so to speak).

I will agree if anyone is going to a clubhouse that is the exact opposite of their character its Damon coming here. But clubhouse dynamics change over time, and this isn't Paul O'Neil's team anymore.

And the number one killer of players who can't hack it in NY is not the clubhouse atmosphere, its the constant pressure. As much as I'm not thrilled with the deal, I have little reservations about Damon handling NY. Boston is no picnic either.

Kulish29
12-21-05, 01:54 PM
Posting Jim Caple articles on NYYfans is always a good idea

http://tinypic.com/ixtu3b.jpg

That's seriously the cover to his book? What a Grade-A douche.

M&M61
12-21-05, 01:55 PM
Course, Jeter doesn't hit many doubles. This leads to an interesting queston. Will Jeter's total SH come within 10 of his total doubles? I'd make that bet.

It dosen't have to be Jeter that hits the double.

TheState22
12-21-05, 01:55 PM
Jesus Walks!

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 01:56 PM
Okay.

After reading through this whole thread and seeing what people have to say and seeing all the numbers, maybe, just MAYBE this isn't going to suck like I thought it would.

So...........*gulp*........welcome to the Yankees.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 01:57 PM
That's seriously the cover to his book? What a Grade-A douche.

That looks like David Wells.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 01:58 PM
Damons last season was .366 jeters was like 20 points higher and damons career obp is .353 jeters career obp is like 30 points higher. That isnt a small difference

I didn't say it was too small a difference. We are talking about BOTH guys getting on base in front of the middle of the order (which is a big middle btw)

M&M61
Weaver apparently was never a very good pitcher to begin with. As much as I (wrongly, I suppose) lobbied against dealing him, Javy didn't do much in Arizona to suggest the Yankee clubhouse was the problem.

More importantly, Damon doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will show up here and simply try to conform, which is what Giambi did. If anything he might create more of an atmosphere for the more 'free-spirited' guys like Giambi and RJ to let their hair down a little (so to speak).

I will agree if anyone is going to a clubhouse that is the exact opposite of their character its Damon coming here. But clubhouse dynamics change over time, and this isn't Paul O'Neil's team anymore.

And the number one killer of players who can't hack it in NY is not the clubhouse atmosphere, its the constant pressure. As much as I'm not thrilled with the deal, I have little reservations about Damon handling NY. Boston is no picnic either.

I've read many times from RS fans saying that Damon was a great clubhouse guy. These type of personalities can adapt to different personalities.

chanman7483
If Damon had the same amount of ABs as Jeter last year with the OBP he had VS Jeter, he'd be on base almost 20 times less. Granted, Jeter woudln't score every time, but in the end 120 runs scored vs 100 is a big difference.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-21-05, 02:02 PM
So pros:
-Gets on base well
-good speed
-good range
-only 4 years instead of 7
-Boston now doesnt have a CF or SS, has lowell and could have 3 black holes in their line up(what made their hitting so dangerous was the lack of black holes)

Cons:
-bad arm
-Is 32(not that bad but will be in the back of my mind)

Considering our options this was a good deal. A nice little bonus is that teams will start to learn that the yankees wont make stupid trades anymore and will be more reasonable.

STNYY
12-21-05, 02:02 PM
Why put a stop-gap in the lineup for a year, hoping to sign an 'OK' CF, when you can collect an All Star now?

Because All Star Brian Giles for 3 yr/$30 M would have been better. I'm not saying he would have signed for that with the Yanks - the Dodgers reportedly offerred $34.5/3 yrs - but he would have taken less $$/yrs than Johnny and is just as good.

With our without a NTC, in the 3-4th years Johnny will be untradeable, just like Posada is right now.

And all this Johnny will love NY/hate NY/thrive in NY/tank in NY/revive Jason talk is pure speculation. No one has any idea how he will do, we'll all just have to wait and see, such is the nature of the NY beast.

And we need more All Star pitching.

The sky is not falling but this deal will not impact the Yanks playoff success one bit and is more of the same from what I was hoping would be a freshing internal regime change.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-21-05, 02:03 PM
Okay.

After reading through this whole thread and seeing what people have to say and seeing all the numbers, maybe, just MAYBE this isn't going to suck like I thought it would.

exactly a few months ago I was against Damon but like 2 weeks ago I realized he wasnt that bad of an option at only 3 or 4 years.

Blackout806
12-21-05, 02:03 PM
I can't believe this, honestly. Didn't we learn from Bernie? Damons battled through injuries before, but how long can his body take a beating without it taking its toll. This has Steinbrenner written all over it. I hate his move.

Damon has never been on the DL in his career according to espn

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 02:05 PM
If Damon had the same amount of ABs as Jeter last year with the OBP he had VS Jeter, he'd be on base almost 20 times less. Granted, Jeter woudln't score every time, but in the end 120 runs scored vs 100 is a big difference.

This is about the 1 and 2 man working together at the top. If Jeter leads off and gets on base, it isn't Damons job neccassarly to drive Jeter in. If Jeter gets on base, Damon's role as a 2 man is to make sure Jeter gets around the bases even if it takes an out to move him along.

So point is...Isn't Jeter proven to be very good at moving runners along whether it is a bunt or hit and run?

If Damon could do this well then it really wouldn't matter.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 02:06 PM
Damon has never been on the DL in his career according to espn

Doesn't that just mean he's due?

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-21-05, 02:09 PM
As for Boggs - I wasn't wild about that but he wasn't as symbolic of The Red Sox and wasn't the "anti-Yank" figure that Damon was.
How is Damon the anti-yank? I could see Varitek, or even Nixon. But how is Damon anything more than some guy who plays for the Sox? And how on earth is Damon more of an anti-yank or more symbolic of the Red Sox than Boggs? Boggs was that team. Boggs was the guy for whom thousands of yanks fans brought pictures of the woman he was having an affair with.

If you simply don't like bringing guys here from Boston, so be it. But I don't see how Damon is particularly symbolic of anything compared to other guys, and I certainly don't see how he's more symbolic of the rivalry than Boggs was.

effdamets
12-21-05, 02:09 PM
Because All Star Brian Giles for 3 yr/$30 M would have been better. I'm not saying he would have signed for that with the Yanks - the Dodgers reportedly offerred $34.5/3 yrs - but he would have taken less $$/yrs than Johnny and is just as good.

With our without a NTC, in the 3-4th years Johnny will be untradeable, just like Posada is right now.

And all this Johnny will love NY/hate NY/thrive in NY/tank in NY/revive Jason talk is pure speculation. No one has any idea how he will do, we'll all just have to wait and see, such is the nature of the NY beast.

And we need more All Star pitching.

The sky is not falling but this deal will not impact the Yanks playoff success one bit and is more of the same from what I was hoping would be a freshing internal regime change.
Say what you want, but Brian Giles was NEVER signing with the Yankees. He is a soft-middled player that preferred the less pressure, less expectation environment of San Diego.

boo_427
12-21-05, 02:13 PM
Ultimately Joe Torre will decide who bats leadoff and second.

Not Snatch or gdn or any other forumer. So enough of that comparing apples to oranges.

whalers
12-21-05, 02:13 PM

If George was running the show Torri Hunter would be on the Yankees and Cano and Wang would be gone. All this cost is money and a draft pick. The fourth year might not turn out that great but Damon is a more durable player than Bernie so I dont think we will see a repeat of this past season. So far this offseason the Yankees have addressed CF and the bullpen while lowering payroll and not trading away young MLB ready talent.

climbingspaz
12-21-05, 02:14 PM
How is Damon the anti-yank? I could see Varitek, or even Nixon. But how is Damon anything more than some guy who plays for the Sox? And how on earth is Damon more of an anti-yank or more symbolic of the Red Sox than Boggs? Boggs was that team. Boggs was the guy for whom thousands of yanks fans brought pictures of the woman he was having an affair with.

If you simply don't want bringing guys here from Boston, so be it. But I don't see how Damon is particularly symbolic of anything compared to other guys, and I certainly don't see how he's more symbolic of the rivalry than Boggs was.

i think the reason he is considered the "anti-yank" is the hair and the beard. he was the face of boston's idiots and he happened to have a pretty nice f'ing game against us in game 7 2004 (which by the way never happened).

not sure how you can say boggs wasn't symbolic of the red sox ... he's for sure going into the hall as a red sock. and who can forget him striking out to end righetti's july 4 no-no :ga-ga:

edit \\ sorry didn't realize you said boggs was more of a red sock than damon. not sure i agree, but it eliminates the need for my second paragaph.

Yankees1962
12-21-05, 02:14 PM

If you simply don't want bringing guys here from Boston, so be it. But I don't see how Damon is particularly symbolic of anything compared to other guys, and I certainly don't see how he's more symbolic of the rivalry than Boggs was.
At the end of this contract, Damon would play as long with the Yankees as with the Red Sox. He's not the anti-Yankee.

STNYY
12-21-05, 02:15 PM
Say what you want, but Brian Giles was NEVER signing with the Yankees. He is a soft-middled player that preferred the less pressure, less expectation environment of San Diego.

Eh, you're probably right about that. My general point is that while Damon was the best/most famous CF option available, he wasn't the only guy out there. And I'm not talking about Juan Pierre.

People keep talking about how this is an upgrade from Bernie/Bubba. Mike Cameron the day after his collision would have been an upgrade over Bernie/Bubba. It's the FO job to find the guys we haven't heard of or make the deals we haven't thought of. The inevitability of this deal is what pisses me off the most.

PittsburghYankeeFan
12-21-05, 02:16 PM

Right.

And the year Boggs came from Boston--1996 WS win.

What about Clemens? Throwing inside on the Y's for years? Just came here, won 2 WS, and left loved by us (who some of us now want him back).

Let's leave this "Sox spy" nonsense on the Sawx boards...

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 02:17 PM
Okay.

lol, considering your other posts, that's a pretty big turnaround.

JfromJersey
12-21-05, 02:18 PM

I don't think Damon will be changing any atmosphere around the Yankees, but he will probably hang with the players whose personality is similar to his own. He's not going to change his personality, but he will conform to the rules. Boomer played his heavy metal, and went on Howard Stern, but he conformed to the rules, and was a clutch pitcher for us in '98. If your boss tells you that you have to be neat and wear business attire, then you do it, especially if he's paying you over 13 million dollars a year. You don't have to change your personality, just follow the rules and do your job.

climbingspaz
12-21-05, 02:21 PM
lucchino speaks. no snappy empire comments this time around:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2267715

effdamets
12-21-05, 02:22 PM
I don't think Damon will be changing any atmosphere around the Yankees, but he will probably hang with the players whose personality is similar to his own. He's not going to change his personality, but he will conform to the rules. Boomer played his heavy metal, and went on Howard Stern, but he conformed to the rules, and was a clutch pitcher for us in '98. If your boss tells you that you have to be neat and wear business attire, then you do it, especially if he's paying you over 13 million dollars a year. You don't have to change your personality, just follow the rules and do your job.
I agree here. This isn't the 7th grade. This isn't reform school. This is a major league baseball team. People are reading way too much into some dopey writers imagination. That guy is a D*CK.....

brosiusbuddy
12-21-05, 02:23 PM
Doesn't that just mean he's due?

no. doesnt work that way. it means for whatever reason, his body is able to endure a long schedule and minor injuries. maybe he's got extra strong bones or joint structures, or whatever, but you're never due for an injury.

you wouldnt say a guy who goes on the dl twice every year is due for a healthy year.

there is no law of averages with injuries.

look at Cal Ripken Jr for example

RobRiv
12-21-05, 02:25 PM
Okay.

Bombshell, this is exactly what Cashman should say at the Damon news conference.

Kluivert4Ever
12-21-05, 02:25 PM
Okay.

Come on now, we know what the deal is, you saw Johnny boy shaved and with a new haircut and thought, hey he is not THAT bad ;)

chanman7483
12-21-05, 02:26 PM
This is about the 1 and 2 man working together at the top. If Jeter leads off and gets on base, it isn't Damons job neccassarly to drive Jeter in. If Jeter gets on base, Damon's role as a 2 man is to make sure Jeter gets around the bases even if it takes an out to move him along.

So point is...Isn't Jeter proven to be very good at moving runners along whether it is a bunt or hit and run?

If Damon could do this well then it really wouldn't matter.

I think Damon/Jeter in the leadoff spot is a win/win situation. I'd actually prefer Jeter in the 2 hole because of his ability to hit the other way. I know the DP situation scares people, but I feel better with him there, despite the #'s. I was just posting those #'s to give people perspective. Percentages lie (people think a .300 hitter is MUCH better than a .270 hitter but the difference is a hit or so, maybe less, per week).

JeterRodriguezSheff

Humans have a tendancy to get one thing in their mind and never let it go. Thats what happened with me and Damon not being a good fit. I started really thinking about it a few weeks ago and realized it wouldnt be a bad deal. As long as he doesnt go into a steep decline its good

rhodehead

Wouldn't that also be considered speculation? Or did your Magic 8 ball tell you Damon was only good until 2007?

I love the preconceived notion that Johnny Damon will automatically fall apart and his skills will severely decline after two years. Not saying it can't happen, but its far from a guarantee. The guy is obviously in great physical shape, just ask him...

Tifoso
Come on now, we know what the deal is, you saw Johnny boy shaved and with a new haircut and thought, hey he is not THAT bad ;)

Have they had the press conference yet?

If so, anyone have a lionk to it? Thanks. :)

PittsburghYankeeFan

Thanks for the link.

Those comments just made my week, and perhaps this entire offseason...

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 02:27 PM

Hahaha, that guy should just say "Sorry red sock nation, i blew it again. It's fitting that this franchise marred with failure has a team president like myself."

Tifoso
12-21-05, 02:27 PM
Wouldn't that also be considered speculation? Or do your Magic 8 ball tell you Damon was only good until 2007?

I love the preconceived notion that Johnny Damon will automatically fall apart and his skills will severely decline after two years. Not saying it can't happen, but its far from a guarantee. The guy is obviously in great physical shape, just ask him...

Exactly. :)

StaceyRosie
12-21-05, 02:29 PM
A spy?

:roflmao:

mjdlight
12-21-05, 02:32 PM
RS sure seem to be leaving a lot of doors open and lights on this off-season.

News flash guys: Natural gas and heating oil prices are way up! Conserve!

chisox
12-21-05, 02:34 PM
Larry Lucchino: We have not heard from major league baseball, nor has there been any official confirmation from the Yankees (on the Damon transaction) as far as we know. So we're not here to make any announcement on anything. We're here because (we've) gotten a number of questions and inquiries about this and we though it was most efficient to make outselves available to answer your questions.

We're you blindsided by this?

Lucchino: Well, I would say that since we don't have final confirmation yet, the last stages of this did come as a bit of a surprise to us.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

nelson nunez
12-21-05, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know when the press conference is scheduled for?

mhmajp
12-21-05, 02:35 PM
Heck it's George's pocket ...who cares?

Season ticket holders. :(

Tifoso
12-21-05, 02:37 PM
Season ticket holders. :(

You know, that's a darn good point. Never thought of it that way before. Thanks, amico mio. :)

Snatch Catch
12-21-05, 02:38 PM
If you can get him, bring him on down.

I want Kearns.

Bernie Inferno
12-21-05, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know when the press conference is scheduled for? The physical is today, so tomorrow would be nice.

ReggieBar
12-21-05, 02:45 PM
I want Kearns.

Isn't the Clippers OF set?

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 02:45 PM

I was pissed off and just reacting for the sake of reacting. When I started thinking rationally, my opinion changed.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 02:47 PM
Isn't the Clippers OF set?

:lol:

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 02:49 PM
I was pissed off and just reacting for the sake of reacting. When I started thinking rationally, my opinion changed.

Just think, all those Sox fans will have the opposite reaction once they start imagining their offense without Damon.

Stone Cold
12-21-05, 02:49 PM
And the 98 team scored about 70 runs more.

Plus there were years with Curtis below replacement value, or like in 99 when Brosious hit .247/.307/.414.

Again, I don't think you are talking about a huge difference when you factor in just how much of a better hitter Bernie was in those years than Damon is now, or will be going forward.

Plus despite the giddiness, there are still some question marks this year. Sheffield has declined 3 straight years and it looks like the Yanks are set to send him back out on the field another 120+ games, which IMO is a big mistake. Worse, my bet is Bernie gets significant playing time at DH, and he's flat out cooked. Posada's numbers dropped sharply last year - not a good sign for a 34 year old catcher, and without a real backup on the bench he's likely to get lots of innings again this year.

Damon or no, this lineup may be hard-pressed to even equal its totals from last year. That's why the arm problems are more significant than Bernie's were, IMO.

Wow, you really know how to rain on a parade don't ya? ;)

As long as Sheff stays healthy he'll be ok in the field, he's always had a pretty good arm. Plus, he remains one of the most clutch hitters in baseball and consistently gets 30 HR's and 100 RBI's.

The #1-#6 lineup will just be amazing. Damon and Jeter setting the table for Arod, Giambi, Sheff, and Matsui. Posada still has a decent bat, Bernie isn't an automatic out, and Cano should only get better. Don't forget that Giambi's overall numbers will be better since he struggled for the first month or so last season. This is the best lineup in baseball.

In addition the pitching staff looks pretty good. You got RJ and Moose headlining it followed by the very solid Chacon and Wang. Pavano would be the #5, you would only think things could get better with him. Wright and Small provide necessary insurance in case anyone gets hurt. The bullpen is as strong as it's been in years. Wright could be valuable while Small can eat up valuable innings. They don't have to rely on Sturtze as much. I think Gordon was almost spent anyways, Farnsworth can be a very good set up man. The possibility of Dotel playing a major factor is very promising. The lefties are alot better now; I'd much rather have the veteran Myers and the consistent Villone as opposed to last year's garbage. Then you still got the best there is in Mo.

Overall I think this team is alot better than last year. The most important thing to any team is the pitching which has alot more depth and some dependable guys who should get even better (Wang and Chacon). I think RJ will have a very strong year as well, the man has alot of pride and will want to make up for the bad playoff outing. The only glaring hole was CF and Cashman filled it without trading any current players or prospects. The team is greatly improved for at least the next 2 years. That is something to be very happy about.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 02:55 PM
The "Johnny Damon is the Anti-Christ" spin is in full-force on SoSH.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-21-05, 02:56 PM
Ultimately Joe Torre will decide who bats leadoff and second.

Not Snatch or gdn or any other forumer. So enough of that comparing apples to oranges.
Outstanding point. Since none of us gets to decide anything about the yankee lineup or roster, we really shouldn't be discussing it at all.

tmanf
12-21-05, 02:56 PM
I have a few questions for my fellow Yankees fans :)

Considering the fact that this deal was a "double wammy," do you think we payed too much for Damon?

Now that the Red Sox have some more flexibility as far as salary goes, they can sign Roger Clemens if he wishes to do so. If that happens, will the Red Sox still have a one-up on the Yanks?

How do you feel about the fact that Damon said earlier this year that he did not want to come to the Yankees?

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 02:58 PM
Outstanding point. Since none of us gets to decide anything about the yankee lineup or roster, we really shouldn't be discussing it at all.

We shouldn't be discussing anything at all.

How's the weather? (Just report, please don't discuss)

whalers
12-21-05, 02:59 PM

Considering the fact that this deal was a "double wammy," do you think we payed too much for Damon?

Now that the Red Sox have some more flexibility as far as salary goes, they can sign Roger Clemens if he wishes to do so. If that happens, will the Red Sox still have a one-up on the Yanks?

How do you feel about the fact that Damon said earlier this year that he did not want to come to the Yankees?

I dont really care what Damon said or has said all I care about is his performance on the field. As for Clemens....if the Sox throw money at him and the yankees feel that he might actually go there they will throw more. I however do not think that roger will be playing for either team this season.

shotgun_sam
12-21-05, 03:01 PM

a. Nope, we got the best CF available at the same contract we gave Matsui, didnt give up Cano or Wang.

b. Condidering Clemens has stated before that the only team he would accept a trade to is NY, AND with Lucchino running things in Boston, Clemens won't be back regardless. However, it wouldn't suprise me if he was back in NY for a year. The club has already contacted him.

c. He probably meant it then, but after they waited around, weighed other options, and whatever....he decided that loyalty to Boston just isn't worth it.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-21-05, 03:03 PM
We shouldn't be discussing anything at all.

How's the weather? (Just report, please don't discuss)
Kind of cold, but when I'm walking 50 blocks to work I get warmed up and it doesn't bother me. (Apologies if that was too much discussion).

gdn
12-21-05, 03:04 PM
No more discussion. It is approximately 4:05 on the East Coast of the United States of America right now.

BJG
12-21-05, 03:05 PM
Clemens has said it's the same 4 basic teams - Houston, the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Rangers - in play, actually.

JDPNYY
Kind of cold, but when I'm walking 50 blocks to work I get warmed up and it doesn't bother me. (Apologies if that was too much discussion).

No apology necessary. I would classify that more as an explanation than a discussion.

Mr. Mxylsplk
Yes, I think we're overpaying him, particularly for a 4 year deal. But that's the yankee way, and I'd prefer overpaying for a loaded lineup than being economical and less competitive.

I couldn't care less. Talk is cheap. He's here now, I have no reason to think he'll do anything but try his hardest to help the team win, and what he said about coming here previously doesn't matter one bit to me.

RobRiv
12-21-05, 03:06 PM
How do you feel about the fact that Damon said earlier this year that he did not want to come to the Yankees?[/b]

I feel that I do not want him on the Yankees, but I reserve the right to change my mind, like he did.

I think I would have been one of those Yankee fans that had to warm up to Babe Ruth after he came over from the Sox.

Tifoso
12-21-05, 03:08 PM

(AP) NYYFans Forum Shuts Down For Lack Of Posts

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 03:09 PM
I feel that I do not want him on the Yankees, but I reserve the right to change my mind, like he did.

I think I would have been one of those Yankee fans that had to warm up to Babe Ruth after he came over from the Sox.

Mind changing is against the rules.

boo_427
12-21-05, 03:11 PM

Considering the Yankees fielded about 20 different batting orders last year I think anything is possible. Is it in our control? NO! Can we argue about it? YES, that is what we are here for.

Hope this wasn't too much information.

Tifoso
12-21-05, 03:13 PM
Considering the Yankees fielded about 20 different batting orders last year I think anything is possible. Is it in our control? NO! Can we argue about it? YES, that is what we are here for.

Hope this wasn't too much information.

I'm not sure we should be discussing discussing it. :-hide-:

yankees26mariners0
12-21-05, 03:15 PM
I am not sure why so many people are upset. Like many have said, we got a quality centerfielder without trading Wang, Cano or Pavano.

As far as the issues of him falling off the face of the earth offensively in a couple of years, I don't think that really matters. There is no way he can be a worse hitter than Bubba and as long as he isn't a black hole in the lineup, then I am happy because he can actually run down balls in the gap.
There was nothing worse than watching Bernie turn singles or outs into doubles and triples in the ally.
All I know is that in 100 days I will be chanting "Johnny Jesus" at the Oakland Coliseum and watching him rip a double off of future Yankee Barry Zito.
Put me in the small camp of liking this move.

boo_427
12-21-05, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure we should be discussing discussing it. :-hide-:

Well can we at least argue about it then? :enraged: ;)

It is all up to JFR! :2thumbs:

Tifoso
12-21-05, 03:17 PM
Well can we at least argue about it then? :enraged: ;)

Only if we have the same idea, apparently. :)

Eurobomber
12-21-05, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=MisterNovember]Why are people so against this deal? Damon is a solid player, and if he's signed for 4 years, he'll still be younger than Sheffield when his contract is up. Maybe he plays CF for a year or two, then when there are better options he moves to a corner spot or a DHs.

Indeed; this is great news. Besides his arm-strenght limitations, he will be a great addition to the Yanks.

Also, this deal is a blow to the Sox fans. The normally very sportsmanlike Boston Red Sox fan at work didn't speak to me all day...

iWant27
12-21-05, 03:21 PM

How old are you :eek:

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 03:22 PM
It is all up to JFR! :2thumbs:

This JFR crap has got to stop. I don't know where it came from or how it started, but it's childish.

Kceracerone
12-21-05, 03:24 PM
Just think, all those Sox fans will have the opposite reaction once they start imagining their offense without Damon.
I went over to SOSH to check out the pulse of Sox fans and I don't think so. The general concensus to me seemed that they would have liked to have him back, but not if it cost more than 4/40. I think Damon's offensive status is a bit overrated as many consider him a great leadoff hitter (including himself). Varitek has posted a higher OBP in each of the past three seasons and most baseball fans felt the Sox overpaid for him last year at a more demanding (and more difficult to fill) position.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 03:25 PM
I went over to SOSH to check out the pulse of Sox fans and I don't think so. The general concensus to me seemed that they would have liked to have him back, but not if it cost more than 4/40. I think Damon's offensive status is a bit overrated as many consider him a great leadoff hitter (including himself). Varitek has posted a higher OBP in each of the past three seasons and most baseball fans felt the Sox overpaid for him last year at a more demanding (and more difficult to fill) position.

If nothing else those people are damage control experts.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 03:26 PM
This JFR crap has got to stop. I don't know where it came from or how it started, but it's childish.

Funny you're the one to mention that.

Eurobomber
12-21-05, 03:28 PM
I'm puking too. I HATE this deal so much. Damon is gonna be Bernie II. I'm fu*kin' speechless.

Do you want the Yankees to win next season?

I assume yes, so really you should be happy with this deal unless you have something personal against Johhny Damon. Which is OK i guess) I bet if he came from any other team though, nobody would object. From a pure baseball perspective, our team is complete now and will be hard to beat.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 03:31 PM
Holy Crap... I got it. I got the solution to the problem. Pretty simple actually. I've bee wracking my brain since this morning when they announced that Bernie was signed as well as Damon.

If Geo (da Boss) could get Selig (the all powerful) to allow the Yankees to add a tenth fielder, Bernie could play short field and Damon could catch the balls and run them in to Bernie who then could run them in to the cut off man.

It could work. Bud does seem to like the Yankees.

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 03:34 PM
This is a wonderful get for the Yankees. We get a solid lead off man, a CF with good instincts / jumps / range... so what for his arm, we have Jeter and Cano, who have wonderful relay skills...anyone who says this deal is anything but excellent, is just living in an Anti-Red Sox / Anti-Johnny Damon pseudo fantasy land, where we can win (or just barely get by ex. 2005 season) with Bubba Crosby and Bernie Williams platooning it, because that's what we would have had come April...

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 03:40 PM
Holy Crap... I got it. I got the solution to the problem. Pretty simple actually. I've bee wracking my brain since this morning when they announced that Bernie was signed as well as Damon.

If Geo (da Boss) could get Selig (the all powerful) to allow the Yankees to add a tenth fielder, Bernie could play short field and Damon could catch the balls and run them in to Bernie who then could run them in to the cut off man.

It could work. Bud does seem to like the Yankees.

That's just ridiculous, and I don't even know why you would waste your time typing all of that out lol. Just say "it sucks" if you're trying to say the move sucks....and I dont have to waste much time reading it, although I usually avoid your posts anyway as per board recommendations....

boo_427
12-21-05, 03:49 PM
That's just ridiculous, and I don't even know why you would waste your time typing all of that out lol. Just say "it sucks" if you're trying to say the move sucks....and I dont have to waste much time reading it, although I usually avoid your posts anyway as per board recommendations....

Then why did you waste your time replying?

The color coordination is so "cute" in your sig. Want a cookie?

The FUTURE
12-21-05, 03:50 PM
Johnny Damon a NYY:

4years-goooooooooooood:D
52 mil-baaaaaaaaaaaaaad:mad:

Tifoso
12-21-05, 03:50 PM

I like John's jokes. :)

Yankees™
12-21-05, 03:51 PM
Chaz Palminteri makes a good point about Damon as a lead off hitter. He really makes the pitchers work.

He also said it was a good trade, but I'll let that part slide.

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 03:54 PM
Then why did you waste your time replying?

The color coordination is so "cute" in your sig. Want a cookie?

I didn't say it was a waste of time to reply to, I said it was a waste of time to read, but I had to read it to determine that....

And no I don't like cookies, but i'll take a trophy or maybe a nice bottle of scotch.

Kulish29
12-21-05, 03:56 PM
Did the press conference happen yet?

boo_427
12-21-05, 03:57 PM
And no I don't like cookies, but i'll take a trophy or maybe a nice bottle of scotch.

A college boy that likes scotch! Man, you are on a much faster pace than I was. I still have trouble drinking the stuff.

You must acquire that taste. Any preference?

I guess this would be the most appropriate time to say I-L-L.... I-N-I!!! ;)

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 03:59 PM

It'll probably happen on Friday after his physical.

Kulish29
12-21-05, 03:59 PM
It'll probably happen on Friday after his physical.

:doh:

That would make a ton of sense now wouldnt it. :lol:

knickfan23
12-21-05, 04:00 PM

That will be in the new few days with Damon introduced as a Yankee.

Right now, Damon is doing an interview with WEEI's Big Show

mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WEEI

yanknbama
12-21-05, 04:01 PM
arggh. you can't edit appearance on MVP '05. i'm stuck watching that mop flop around in death valley now. cyber george would never stand for it.

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 04:09 PM
A college boy that likes scotch! Man, you are on a much faster pace than I was. I still have trouble drinking the stuff.

You must acquire that taste. Any preference?

I guess this would be the most appropriate time to say I-L-L.... I-N-I!!! ;)

At this time, I prefer Johnnie Walker Blue, and The Glenlivet which I got for my birthday last year from a roommate.. so much smoother than most of the trash that im used to drinking.

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 04:10 PM
Will Damon be clean shaven for his Press Conference... will he fool us all and come out with a fake beard and wig a la the Dunkin Donuts commercial.

Jace
12-21-05, 04:12 PM
At this time, I prefer Johnnie Walker Blue, and The Glenlivet which I got for my birthday last year from a roommate.. so much smoother than most of the trash that im used to drinking.

Johnny Walker Blue isn't scotch, its liquid money.

CharlesFenway
12-21-05, 04:15 PM

I could barely afford a case of PBR when I was in college, and you're drinking Johnnie Blue?!?! Must be nice! :)

yankeesAZ
12-21-05, 04:16 PM
Damon's soul is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnny-Damon-Soul_W0QQitemZ5648873584QQcategoryZ2022QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TheTinoMobile
12-21-05, 04:17 PM
Johnny Walker Blue isn't scotch, its liquid money.

Indeed, i can't afford to pay my utilities because of it...i stick to JW Black...Blue and the Glenlivet were gifts luckily, otherwise i'd be a broke little man....

anyoneseenthebridge
12-21-05, 04:19 PM
So here is my all-BOS/NYY team of the 1980s-Present. Who am I forgetting?

PITCHING STAFF

SP Roger Clemens
SP David Cone
SP David Wells

RP Ramiro Mendoza
RP Alan Embree
RP Mike Myers
RP Tom Gordon
RP Mike Stanton
RP Tony Fossas

STARTING LINEUP

LF Rickey Henderson
CF Johnny Damon
3B Wade Boggs
RF Jose Canseco
1B John Olerud
C Jim Leyritz
2B Mark Bellhorn
DH Tony Clark
SS Rey Sanchez

BENCH

C Mike Stanley
C John Flaherty
3B Mike Lowell

edit: had LF/RF switched

Stone Cold
12-21-05, 04:22 PM
I saw someone else mention it earlier in this thread, but Jim Caple's page 2 article is a disgrace. He says Giambi's biggest mistake wasn't taking steriods, but signing with the Yankees since they made him comform to their strict standards and that he hasn't been the same player since. Caple says Damon will fail in NY b/c he'll have to cut his hair and will also have to conform to the same strict standards. I'm tired of this kind of garbage. I know he hates the Yankees, but how can someone get paid for such vile?

Here's what I sent him in the feedback forum on Jimcaple.com:

How can you say Giambi's biggest mistake was signing with the Yankees, not taking steroids? That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. The reason he struggles was the side effects, not having to conform to the Yankee way. What do you think was a bigger factor in his struggles in 2004, the tumor on his pituitary bland which robbed him of his strength and overall health or not being in Oakland anymore?

Something tells me Damon has realized that he'll have to cut his hair and shave. For some reason, I think he's ok with it. Looks like he has $52 reasons to stay well-groomed.

Damon is a great fit for the Yankees. They got the best available CF and a leadoff hitter without giving up any prospects or current players. The Yankees have the best lineup in baseball.

Finally, since you had to take a cheap shot at the pitching staff, it should be noted that it's actually pretty solid. RJ remains one of the best lefties in the game. Mussina is still an effective starter who knows how to pitch in big games. Chacon and Wang are the real deal as seen in the playoffs. Both provide valuable youth to the rotation and should only get better. Pavano is listed as the 5th starter and would be hard pressed not to do better than last year. That leaves Wright and Small as long men in the bullpen who can also provide insurance in case any of the starters get hurt.

The bullpen has the most depth it's had since the championship run. Besides Wright and Small, they got 2 lefties in the veteran Myers and Villone; who's been very consistent against lefties over his career. If Dotel fully recovers, he has the potential to be a potent set-up man. Either way, it's a low risk signing. Farnsworth is a good set-up man, Bomb Gordon has been in a steady decline. Then there's the best there is in Mo.

This is a much improved Yankee team whether you like it or not. I don't expect a response, but I challenge you to attempt to prove me wrong.

mhmajp
12-21-05, 04:22 PM
The point is that the Dodgers chose not to overpay for Damon and instead settled for a couple of years with Loftin.

Actually, per the NY Times today, the Lofton deal is for one year at 3.85MM.

SheffRocks11
12-21-05, 04:25 PM
Damon's soul is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnny-Damon-Soul_W0QQitemZ5648873584QQcategoryZ2022QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-:

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 04:33 PM
Damon's soul is on Ebay:

You have 3 guesses as to what team that person roots for and the first 2 don't count.