PDA

View Full Version : Damon signs with Yanks...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

ShaneTravis
12-21-05, 12:32 AM
I'll be the first one to say that today was a great day for Yanks fans. Our pen has taken shape and we addressed our other big need - CF. Can't get much better, :)

Compare this contract to some of Toronto's signing 5 year deals for pitchers ....

The Yanks get an everyday player who solve their CF problem, weaken their rival who will now have to trade (everyone knows they need a CF, so good luck getting a fair deal) this will look like a steal.

11-19 start again next year.......no way.

RhodeyYankee2638
Wait wait wait.

Is there actually someone here who thinks we shouldn't have signed Alex?

Actually, we didn't

NYYBombshell
Okay, I don't drink alcohol so I am going to do the next best thing and drown myself in caffine. Whose with me? :gulp:

Throw a Diet Coke my way and you have a deal.

I Love Wang
Damon's game is also built on his speed, whereas Giles' is based on his ability to get on base. It's probably safe to assume that Damon's wheels will come off before Giles loses his batting eye.

Damon's speed has declined. His game is a hitting game. But I agree that he'll decline before Giles.

Dooley Womack
Peter Gammons!? STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE!

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:33 AM
Actually, we didn't

Allow me to rephrase:

Is there actually someone here who regrets him coming to this team?

Evil Empire
Wait wait wait.

Personally, I feel we would have been better with Enrique Wilson at third.

RhodeyYankee2638
Why? Apparently all Bubba was worth was a backup OF, so NOW why do we give up money AND prospects? Keep Bubba.

Sturtze is a prospect? Bubba is not a good player

gdn
Wait wait wait.

Is there actually someone here who thinks we shouldn't have signed Alex?Please. I'm trying to ignore that... I've had enough of the Alex-bashing threads for a year.

I Love Wang
And if thats the case, it will still go through cause we need anothe decent OF'er, and havee extra pitchers.

But that would make it pretty silly to have $52 million tied up in Johnny Damon, wouldn't it?

NelsonMuntz
The point is that the latest word on the Michaels situation was Henn/Sturtze. NOT Cano/Wang.
As far as we know that was just a rumor. I have a hard time believing the Yankees wouldn't have pulled the trigger on a Sturtze for Michaels trade, especially if signing Dotel was imminent.

Kulish29
12-21-05, 12:34 AM
I get off work and this is the news I come home to?

How sh*tty.

JDPNYY
Personally, I feel we would have been better with Enrique Wilson at third.

I don't even want Enrique Wilson in the 3rd base line seats in Yankee Stadium.

Yankee26t
Wait wait wait.

I gotta tell ya. After watching Jeter get on in the 9th inning(no one out) of the game 5 against the Angels. Then watching in disbelief as A-Rod grounds into double play(I was stunned). This guy has to win a WS to win me back.

He will NEVER be a Jeter. EVER. NEVER.

chanman7483
Damon's game is also built on his speed, whereas Giles' is based on his ability to get on base. It's probably safe to assume that Damon's wheels will come off before Giles loses his batting eye.

What you're saying about Giles is true, and I agree on your basic premise, but Damon is far from a player such as Pierre or Ichiro, who's game is EXCLUSIVELY speed. I don't remember him beating anyone at any point w/ his speed on offense, unless it was w/ the Royals when he was lightning fast.

gdn
Sturtze is a prospect? Bubba is not a good playerFine. Why give up an arm in the pen? Bubba doesn't have to be a good player now. He has to be a good fielder. Which he is.

RhodeyYankee2638
They have Victorino, who is younger and cheaper and hits for more power to be a 4th outfielder. We would certainly not have to give up Wang and Cano for Michaels. Can't you learn to say anything else? The deal being discussed was centered around Sturtze.

Did Sturtze leave the team? The deal can still happen, which would make the team even better

I Love Wang
12-21-05, 12:35 AM

A-Rod is a better player in his sleep than Jeter could ever hope to be.

chanman7483
I gotta tell ya. After watching Jeter get on in the 9th inning(no one out) of the game 5 against the Angels. Then watching in disbelief as A-Rod grounds into double play(I was stunned). This guy has to win a WS to win me back.

Please keep the discussion on topic(Johnny Damon). We don't need to go down this road in this thread.

Thank you.

True Yankee-ette13
Agree, they won't start the season with those guys.

Thing is, the market s*cks.

gdn
As far as we know that was just a rumor. I have a hard time believing the Yankees wouldn't have pulled the trigger on a Sturtze for Michaels trade, especially if signing Dotel was imminent.That was the last reported rumor. Who knows what was going on? Maybe Cashman doesn't want to trade Sturtze. I don't know. These things don't happen overnight all of a sudden. It takes time and negotiations.

ryanthe13th
Throw a Diet Coke my way and you have a deal.

I have a 12 pack to split. We're good for at least a half hour at the rate I am drinking these things right now.

MM7
I'm mulling your apology over, I may or may not accept it.

Accept it, accept it...it's genuine...just like Damon when he talks

Dooley Womack
Thing is, the market s*cks.

Sucks even more now for the Sox. :)

NYYBombshell

So that is a good reason why he shouldn't have come here.

I'm backing away from you now because if I don't, John the Mod will sh*tcan my ass.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:36 AM
Did Sturtze leave the team? The deal can still happen, which would make the team even betterThat's the thing, though. $52million+arm from the pen is too much to give up. Either or. Not both.

JDPNYY
Accept it, accept it...it's genuine...just like Damon when he talks

OK, you convinced me.

Apology accepted.

Yankee26t
Please. I'm trying to ignore that... I've had enough of the Alex-bashing threads for a year.

Dude I am not bashing AROD. I actually like him. Just dont like that he CANNOT deliver.

He DOES NOT deliver in playoffs. When you need him most.
I think he is a great player with great power and great numbers. But Jeter dwarfs him when it comes to clutch and postseason play.

destiNY
Wait wait wait.

Hahaha apparently there is, I feel so bad for this guy, mvp numbers aren't good enough its crazy.

I Love Wang
Did Sturtze leave the team? The deal can still happen, which would make the team even better

But why did we sign Damon then? We wouldn't have had to spend all that extra money.

NelsonMuntz

It's good to base your opinion of a player on one at bat.

RhodeyYankee2638
But that would make it pretty silly to have $52 million tied up in Johnny Damon, wouldn't it?

If we had Michaels instead of Damon, we would have pale ass back of the end offense. However both on the team would be fine.

NYYBombshell
I have a 12 pack to split. We're good for at least a half hour at the rate I am drinking these things right now.

Just start handing them to me. Maybe I'll get so overloaded with carbonation I'll burp myself into a coma.

True Yankee-ette13
12-21-05, 12:37 AM
Sucks even more now for the Sox. :)

But hey, at least they got Burnett!!!!!11@

Vin
But see, that's the thing. The only thing to rave about Damon (if you can use that word) is his offense. We don't really NEED his offense. We NEED defense.

Bubba's a great defensive player.

CTSoxFan
Wait wait wait.

Yeah, me. ;)

MiamiKat
Alex Rodriguez - This guy is a dog. He will NEVER help us win anything. Jeter knows this too.
:roflmao: :lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:

RhodeyYankee2638
But why did we sign Damon then? We wouldn't have had to spend all that extra money.

When have the Yankees ever shown any concern for spending money. NEVER

Max Hill
Damon is about to be on ESPN Radio GAMENIGHT..........

JDPNYY
It's good to base your opinion of a player on one at bat.

He's not into that "Sample Size" crap.

Zimmers' Helmet
You're missing the point. I'm combatting the silly idea that Jeter is a "better" hitter when he's hitting second. I'm simply offering up proof that this is patently false.

It's not that Jeter isn't a fine leadoff hitter. He is, but his abilities as a hitter make him much better suited than Damon as a #2 hitter. He has more power than Damon, and has proven to be very adept in hit-and-run situations. It's simply a compliment to Jeter's talent that he could basically hit anywhere
in the lineup and still be productive. I can't say the same for Damon. Who else on the Yankee roster is a career .310 hitter in the #2 spot? ;)

gdn
Dude I am not bashing AROD. I actually like him. Just dont like that he CANNOT deliver.

He DOES NOT deliver in playoffs. When you need him most.
I think he is a great player with great power and great numbers. But Jeter dwarfs him when it comes to clutch and postseason play.Please. Before you go any further, use the wonderful search function on this site and look up threads from about two months ago discussing A-Rod. You will find the answer to all your questions/doubts there.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:38 AM

I loved the last sentence. I mean, he must be a family friend to have the inside scoop on that knowledge.

NelsonMuntz
But hey, at least they got Burnett!!!!!11@
Toronto got Burnett. Boston got Beckett.

CTSoxFan

I'm backing away from you now because if I don't, John the Mod will sh*tcan my ass.

I bet you get a lifetime pass to say whatever you want, as long as you reference the double-D's every once in a while. ;)

NYYBombshell
Yeah, me. ;)

You're one of "them". You don't count. :P

I Love Wang
If we had Michaels instead of Damon, we would have pale ass back of the end offense. However both on the team would be fine.

If we had acquired Michaels and Craig Wilson (who the braindead pirates are dying to move) we'd have a hugely improved offensive and a lot more versatility because Wilson can back up at 1B, LF, RF, and C.

yankees27

Yup. He won't be Jeter. He'll be one of, if not the best player in baseball history.

Yankee26t
12-21-05, 12:39 AM

Hey dont make the mistake of posting something that could get a mod out here. We are all fans. We can agree to disagree. Heated debates are ok with me.

At the end of the day we will all route for all the yankees. I am just very displeased with ARod. I thought he was gonna be a clutch guy along with Jeter and Sheff and he is NOT.... so far... I leave room for redemption.... this signing of old players is getting old itself though...

gdn
It's not that Jeter isn't a fine leadoff hitter. He is, but his abilities as a hitter make him much better suited than Damon as a #2 hitter. He has more power than Damon, and has proven to be very adept in hit-and-run situations. It's simply a compliment to Jeter's talent that he could basically hit anywhere
in the lineup and still be productive. I can't say the same for Damon. Who else on the Yankee roster is a career .310 hitter in the #2 spot? ;)Here's the deal. The argument being put forth is that Damon is a better leadoff hitter and Jeter is a better #2 hitter. Flat. Out. Wrong.

If the argument were: "Jeter and Damon as 1&2 will be better than any 1-2 combination the Yankees have had in a while", then no one could argue with that.

True Yankee-ette13
Toronto got Burnett. Boston got Beckett.

LOLOL. Damn, those B's. Thery're almost one in the same to me, though, I must admit.

NYYBombshell
I bet you get a lifetime pass to say whatever you want, as long as you reference the double-D's every once in a while. ;)

If talking about my boobs will give me the ability to say whatever I want to anyone I want whenever I want...........I want Jim to make a special subforum for it.

I Love Wang
When have the Yankees ever shown any concern for spending money. NEVER

Carlos Beltran disagrees with you.

MisterNovember
As I mentioned before, I like this move. A lot of forumers were gung ho to sign Brian Giles, who is three years older than Damon and is not even a legit CFer. Damon is a tough, hard nosed player who will certainly diversify the Yankee lineup. He plays all out in the field at all times (which is more than you can say of Matsui and Sheff). In my mind, the only downside to Damon is that he was a member of the 2004 Sox. I'm sure thats why most of you hate this move, but you just don't want to admit it.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:40 AM
If we had acquired Michaels and Craig Wilson (who the braindead pirates are dying to move) we'd have a hugely improved offensive and a lot more versatility because Wilson can back up at 1B, LF, RF, and C.

And what would Craig Wilson have cost?

Dooley Womack

By the time Damon's contract expires, at 35, he'll hardly be old and he'll still have wheels. He has a body type that usually is long-lasting in this game. Thus far, at 32, he's had a pretty good last couple of years, even bettering his typically consistent numbers.

MassNYYfan
Jeezus I come on to see if Dotel is official and I get slammed with this. I'm not even going to try to read thru the 16 pages of thread already. :lol

ESPNews has Bubba as our DH batting 9th right now. hehe. I like that. :looking:

RhodeyYankee2638

His contract is awful, its simply awful.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 12:41 AM
Jeezus I come on to see if Dotel is official and I get slammed with this. I'm not even going to try to read thru the 16 pages of thread already. :lol

Wave bye bye to Bubba.

I Love Wang
And what would Craig Wilson have cost?

Considering how hard the pirates are trying to get rid of every player on their team who strikes out and doesn't run fast, the answer may be Aaron Small.

gdn
If talking about my boobs will give me the ability to say whatever I want to anyone I want whenever I want...........I want Jim to make a special subforum for it.I'll second that! :D

I Love Wang

But you're still wrong. You keep changing the subject every time I demonstrate that.

MiamiKat

All that, based on one at-bat??? Welcome to the board!!!

destiNY
12-21-05, 12:42 AM
Is Damon really going on ESPN radio? I don't want to go in my car right now to listen if hes not really coming on...Can someone confirm?

JDPNYY
Considering how hard the pirates are trying to get rid of every player on their team who strikes out and doesn't run fast, the answer may be Aaron Small.

I'm hearing all they wanted was a couple of Steelers Jackets.

surge511
Yup. He won't be Jeter. He'll be one of, if not the best player in baseball history.

One of. NOONE is better than the Babe. But Alex will be one of the best ever when all is said and done.

True Yankee-ette13

He's an overrated pile of dung and I'm glad he didn't come here. :) That about sums up my feelings on the immortal Carlos Beltran.

NewEraYanks2527
Hey I didn't want Damon as much as the next guy but the bottom line is if you wanted an everyday CFer and to keep the prospects this was the way to do it. If you wanted to give Pavano another shot while he was healthy and not pay him to play somewhere else this was the way to do it. I don't like the Damon signing I don't like the 4 years I dont really care about the amount of money but he will be a servicable stop gap until hopefully a prospect is ready or someone is ready to be reasonable in a trade. Every team in the MLB was going to try to hold the Yankees up for a CFer, the rumored deal about Pavano for Reed was just that, a RUMOR.

Damon is a good player, he will not hit alot of home runs and that is a GOOD thing he will bring a more contact type hitter to the lineup which will improve the lineup for at least the next two years. This is a good signing people, its not a good contract but it saves the prospects it saves Pavano who could be good when healthy, it adds better defense in center then we have had in a while and it adds to the already very powerful lineup. Welcome Johnny aboard and hope he leads us to #27.

RhodeyYankee2638

I highly doubt they would trade a guy who just hit 29 HR's for Aaron Small. They wanna push him before arb/free agency.

nyyfanatic85
12-21-05, 12:43 AM
Awesome deal! Great move for the Yanks. Just think of the speed at the top of the lineup now...Damon and Jeter will definitely wreak havoc on the opposition pitching.

NelsonMuntz
That's what really pisses me off about this. Why was money an issue last year when the Yankees passed on Beltran but now suddenly they have $52 million to throw at an older Johnny Damon? And yes, Beltran had a bad year last year but I firmly believe he'll bounce back.

chanman7483
Hey dont make the mistake of posting something that could get a mod out here. We are all fans. We can agree to disagree. Heated debates are ok with me.

At the end of the day we will all route for all the yankees. I am just very displeased with ARod. I thought he was gonna be a clutch guy along with Jeter and Sheff and he is NOT.... so far... I leave room for redemption.... this signing of old players is getting old itself though...

The problem is, there aren't many young great players available...and when they are, their price tag is extremely high... not in terms of $$, b/c the Yanks can certainly afford it, but in terms of trades, where the Yanks are given the sh*t end of the stick.

JDPNYY
One of. NOONE is better than the Babe. But Alex will be one of the best ever when all is said and done.

Who the hell is Noone? Actually, I don't care who he is. He isn't better than the Babe.

This Noone guy can go straight to hell for all I care.

destiNY
12-21-05, 12:44 AM
Hey I didn't want Damon as much as the next guy but the bottom line is if you wanted an everyday CFer and to keep the prospects this was the way to do it. If you wanted to give Pavano another shot while he was healthy and not pay him to play somewhere else this was the way to do it. I don't like the Damon signing I don't like the 4 years I dont really care about the amount of money but he will be a servicable stop gap until hopefully a prospect is ready or someone is ready to be reasonable in a trade. Every team in the MLB was going to try to hold the Yankees up for a CFer, the rumored deal about Pavano for Reed was just that, a RUMOR.

Damon is a good player, he will not hit alot of home runs and that is a GOOD thing he will bring a more contact type hitter to the lineup which will improve the lineup for at least the next two years. This is a good signing people, its not a good contract but it saves the prospects it saves Pavano who could be good when healthy, it adds better defense in center then we have had in a while and it adds to the already very powerful lineup. Welcome Johnny aboard and hope he leads us to #27.

Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth so I didn't have to spend the time getting my thoughts together and typing it. Lets go Johnny Baby!!!!!!!!!1

AlongCameAPrincess

Yeah, saw that. Had a good laugh with it too. :D I love Bubba but DH? That's like making Skippy our third base coach.

CTSoxFan
If talking about my boobs will give me the ability to say whatever I want to anyone I want whenever I want...........I want Jim to make a special subforum for it.

I do, too.

See, who says Yankee and Red Sox fans can't get along?

;)

I Love Wang
I highly doubt they would trade a guy who just hit 29 HR's for Aaron Small. They wanna push him before arb/free agency.

He hit 29 home runs two years ago. And they've made it very clear that they think Wilson has very little value, and they don't want him.

chanman7483
12-21-05, 12:45 AM
That's what really pisses me off about this. Why was money an issue last year when the Yankees passed on Beltran but now suddenly they have $52 million to throw at an older Johnny Damon? And yes, Beltran had a bad year last year but I firmly believe he'll bounce back.

Because Bernie and Brown(30 mil) were still on the books. Combine that w/ RJ's extension pushing the payroll past even the Yanks boundries, and we run into a wall. Pitching was the Yanks greatest concern, as evidenced by their signings of Pavano, Wright, and RJ. Bad signings, but you can tell what they were trying to do.

NewEraYanks2527
By the way as far as our offseason checklist goes, it is looking pretty good:
CF: check
Bullpen: check:
Bench: work in progress

jimmykey2
Wave bye bye to Bubba.

Bubba isn't going anywhere. The Yanks carried Bernie, Bubba, and Sierra for most of the season. They can carry HEWHOSHALLREMAINUNNAMED, Bernie, and Bubba. Who else is going to play defense late in games?

Rocketman
Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. OH NO! NOOOOOOOOO! There is not a player in baseball I despise more than Johnny Damon. I don't even know what to think. There's no way I can root for him. I'm at a loss for emotional rationale. What do I do?

AMYanks
Is Damon really going on ESPN radio? I don't want to go in my car right now to listen if hes not really coming on...Can someone confirm?

http://www.1050espnradio.com/

Click on "Listen Live", then find the show "Gamenight". They just said he'll be on in a few minutes.

True Yankee-ette13

Why? :o

HouseThatRingsBuild
12-21-05, 12:46 AM
I hope this ends all threads about them not making a big splash.

RhodeyYankee2638
He hit 29 home runs two years ago. And they've made it very clear that they think Wilson has very little value, and they don't want him.

And you don't think a team will offer something better or more attractive thn Aaron Small?

ryanthe13th
I wonder if Damon will look the same as he did in KC with no facial hair?

hobokenfish

Would you bet about $100+ million for 6 years on that? Comparatively, 4 years at $52 million sounds relatively good.

38Special
I think theres a good 50 million in difference between the two

JDPNYY
Bubba isn't going anywhere. The Yanks carried Bernie, Bubba, and Sierra for most of the season. They can carry HEWHOSHALLREMAINUNAMED, Bernie, and Bubba. Who else is going to play defense late in games?

The Yankees have the Pitching available to trade for a better player than Bubba.

JfromJersey
We just got ourselves a natural leadoff hitter, who could hit about 20 dingers playing home games at the Stadium, and a guy who will cover a heck of a lot more ground than Bernie in center. Who gives a sh*t about his arm? He's here for 4 years and he's in his early 30s. He's not injury prone and he's a proven post season player. What's not to like?
btw..anyone have any old photos of him without all the hair?

True Yankee-ette13
I do, too.

See, who says Yankee and Red Sox fans can't get along?

;)

So much for being here for some good 'ol baseball talk. :P

Damn Sox fans!

I Love Wang
I wonder if Damon will look the same as he did in KC with no facial hair?

He wasn't on steroids then, so no.

NelsonMuntz
Because Bernie and Brown(30 mil) were still on the books. Combine that w/ RJ's extension pushing the payroll past even the Yanks boundries, and we run into a wall. Pitching was the Yanks greatest concern, as evidenced by their signings of Pavano, Wright, and RJ. Bad signings, but you can tell what they were trying to do.
True. I hope they didn't just compound last years bad pitching signings with another bad signing though.

23and2
12-21-05, 12:47 AM
Yeah, yeah, we have too many starters and can spare one in a trade for a better CF solution.... You know what? That's BS. RJ and Moose are just begging for time on the DL next season.. We're going to actually need Pavano and Wright at some point. Damon only cost us money. We're a better team today.

Many would have preferred Damon at 3 years. What's another year? Is that really a deal breaker? $30M, $40M, $50M... what do you really care? If he was worth 4 years/$40M to Boston (a team with less resources than the Yanks), who cares if we had to pay another $13M to steal him?

$13M is worth not having to face this guy in a Red Sox uniform for another 4 years.

The Red Sox are a worse team right now. The Yankees are better. Both teams have been dramatically effected by this move.... I'm a VERY happy Yankees fan.

NYYBombshell

Click on "Listen Live", then find the show "Gamenight". They just said he'll be on in a few minutes.

I have it on now.

Zimmers' Helmet
Here's the deal. The argument being put forth is that Damon is a better leadoff hitter and Jeter is a better #2 hitter. Flat. Out. Wrong.

If the argument were: "Jeter and Damon as 1&2 will be better than any 1-2 combination the Yankees have had in a while", then no one could argue with that.

Agreed, but the argument still remains - which of the two should lead off?

The Yankees are better served with Damon leading off with Jeter in the #2 spot instead of vice-versa. Damon would not be as good a #2 hitter as Jeter.

destiNY

ah thank you very much

HouseThatRingsBuild
Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. OH NO! NOOOOOOOOO! There is not a player in baseball I despise more than Johnny Damon. I don't even know what to think. There's no way I can root for him. I'm at a loss for emotional rationale. What do I do?

Thats what I thought about Shef, when he was first signed.

NYYBombshell

Damn Sox fans!

Yeah, they just want to talk about my boobs!

I Love Wang
And you don't think a team will offer something better or more attractive thn Aaron Small?

Most teams are waiting to see if he's non-tendered. We could make a pre-emptive move and get him before that.

NelsonMuntz

Damn Sox fans!
Don't be jealous. We can talk about your boobs in 30 days.

NewEraYanks2527
Pitching was the Yanks greatest concern, as evidenced by their signings of Pavano, Wright, and RJ. Bad signings
RJ won more games, had a better ERA and more K's than any other starter last year, how was that a bad signing? If you wanna talk about age I take the guy that produces no matter how old than the young guy that isn't producing. Now Wright was an atrocious signing I'm with you on that, Pavano I am undecided about until I see what happens this year.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:48 AM
Don't be jealous. We can talk about your boobs in 30 days.

My boobs are like, so much better than hers.

Iknowcool
Everybody keeps comparing this to Bernie. Check out Bernies numbers when he was 31, 32, 33 and 34, as Damon will be in this contract. I'll even provide a link.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willibe02.shtml
If he gives us the numbers Bernie did the first three years, I'll be happy to write off the fourth. Damon would've likely wanted a higher salary (per year) in exchange for a shorter deal anyway, so that extra year is only going to cost us 5/6 million.
We will NOT lose our number 21 draft pick! All compensationary picks are locked in. We give Boston our number 28 pick, and we lose our second round pick to ATL. (Farnsworth). We already got a supplimentary first round pick to replace it anyway.
Finally, I don't think we are done yet. Could a Frank Thomas/Erubio Durazo deal be announced next?

Vin
Of course. Boras is the master of his craft.

Apparently, and fortunately for us not too much of a master or we'd end up signing Damon for 7 years.

hobokenfish
12-21-05, 12:49 AM

Unless you can substantiate, this seems a bit over the line.

Johnny O
By the time Damon's contract expires, at 35, he'll hardly be old and he'll still have wheels. He has a body type that usually is long-lasting in this game. Thus far, at 32, he's had a pretty good last couple of years, even bettering his typically consistent numbers.

He's been inconsistent over his career, and he will decline. His 2001 OPS was .687 - that's his downside, and that's pretty low, mister.

gdn
Agreed, but the argument still remains - which of the two should lead off?

The Yankees are better served with Damon leading off with Jeter in the #2 spot instead of vice-versa. Damon would not be as good a #2 hitter as Jeter.Based on what?

NelsonMuntz
I don't believe you.

RhodeyYankee2638
Everybody keeps comparing this to Bernie. Check out Bernies numbers when he was 31, 32, 33 and 34, as Damon will be in this contract. I'll even provide a link.
If he gives us the numbers Bernie did the first three years, I'll be happy to write off the fourth. Damon would've likely wanted a higher salary (per year) in exchange for a shorter deal anyway, so that extra year is only going to cost us 5/6 million.
We will NOT lose our number 21 draft pick! All compensationary picks are locked in. We give Boston our number 28 pick, and we lose our second round pick to ATL. (Farnsworth). We already got a supplimentary first round pick to replace it anyway.
Finally, I don't think we are done yet. Could a Frank Thomas/Erubio Durazo deal be announced next?

Bernie had a lot of injury problems, from knees to back and ESPECIALLY his shoulders. Damon has never been on the DL

Pancake
All of you who think that Jason Michaels is a better player than Johnny Damon -

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE!!

;)

Just joking.

But seriously - you all are kidding, right?

Jason Michaels is almost 30 years old, and has a grand total of 808 major league at bats, does not hit for power or steal bases.

Johnny Damon will be 32 when the season starts, has some pop, hits for a reasonable average, steals 25 bases a year over the past 4 years, and is on base 35-38% of the time. Michaels is good defensively - but certainly not the offensive player Damon is. Damon will score 120+ runs in this lineup, without a doubt.

You are right. Damon has also shown that he can play well under the intense pressure of the media glare, both here and in NY, both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Shawn Michaels hasn't. Let's face it, not everyone can handle it and Damon has shown that he can.

I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey and as soon as he signs that contract, he is a true Yankee.

Plus, the signing weakens our biggest rival in the division. What's not to like about that? It's not my money that the Yanks spend so I can't bitch about the dollars.

PS.... Johnny, if you are reading this, please leave Millar at home. Thanks. Welcome to NY.

Mark19
My plan for salvaging this mess of a signing is to make Damon our leftfielder in 2008-2009 as we mark a decade without a CF who scares opposing runners. Andruw Jones and Vernon Wells become free agents after 2007 and by then Sheff can be replaced by someone a little cheaper and more versatile.

True Yankee-ette13

Dayuuuum, girl. I thought we were cool. :(

:lol:

Dooley Womack
12-21-05, 12:50 AM
Pretty funny how some Sox fans are trying to come to terms with this in the Sox thread. The typical stuff. I swear it's like the movie "Groundhog's Day" (haven't I heard those jabs before?) whenever a player leaves the Sox. :lol:

gurgie
I would like to know what people think the vertical fold papers like the daily news and post will say about this?

gdn
I don't believe you.Can we STOP talking about boobs? I do need to sleep tonight.

NYYBombshell
Dayuuuum, girl. I thought we were cool. :(

NewEraYanks2527
Did anyone post this yet? I didn't feel like looking through the other however many pages for it. I watch the Nip/Tuck finale and this is what happens, damn I hate missing things when they happen.http://nyynews.com/UserFiles/Image/damonnyy.jpg

JeffWeaverFan
Why are people so against this deal? Damon is a solid player, and if he's signed for 4 years, he'll still be younger than Sheffield when his contract is up. Maybe he plays CF for a year or two, then when there are better options he moves to a corner spot or a DHs.
Damon and Sheffield are different players. Sheff is a power/patience guy while Damon is a BA/speed guy. Guys like Sheff last longer than guys like Damon - whose defense in CF has already gotten worse and his arm is horrendous.

A corner spot? Well, Matsui is in LF for 4 more years and Damon can't play RF with his pathetic arm. He'll be in CF for the next 4 years just like Bernie was in CF for his whole contract.

Oh, and how about our team in 4 years? Jeter at 35, Damon at 35, A-Rod at 34, and Matsui at 35. That's going to be a helluva team... We better not trade any prospects away in the next few years because we're going to need them.

JDPNYY
Pretty funny how some Sox fans are trying to come to terms with this in the Sox thread. The typical stuff. I swear it's like the movie "Groundhog's Day" (haven't I heard those jabs before?) whenever a player leaves the Sox. :lol:

They never really liked Damon.

CTSoxFan

Damon's speed may already not be what it once was. He stole 30+ bases in each of his first two seasons in Boston, and fewer than 20 in each of his last two. Caveat, of course: lack of foot speed is hardly the only explanation for the decline. But there is a noticeable decline in zone rating in 2004 and 2005, as well. Couple these two, and it's at least possible to conclude that Damon is slowing down already, as many players do when they're on the wrong side of 30.

(Don't get me wrong...I still think this sucks for the Sox, at least until I see what the hell they have up their sleeves to counteract it.)

ryanthe13th
On another board I post on(whose members are predominantly from etheir CA, MA, RI, PA, or NY), they're already placing Damon in the same mold of 'traitor' as Boggs and Clemens.

HouseThatRingsBuild
12-21-05, 12:51 AM
$13M is worth not having to face this guy in a Red Sox uniform for another 4 years.

I agree with that part. Anything to take away ammo from the sawx.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
The Yankees have the Pitching available to trade for a better player than Bubba.

You got it, and I imagine that they will trade from that depth to get a DH who can also play some outfield and/or first base if needed. Crosby is a 4th outfielder, a late inning defensive replacement, and that's it. The wonder now is, will the Yankees sign Bernie and will Torre slot him in as DH everyday. Unless the Yankees trade or sign another player, I don't see anyway Torre will resist the urge to put Bernie in the lineup everyday.

NYYBombshell
Did anyone post this yet? I didn't feel like looking through the other however many pages for it. I watch the Nip/Tuck finale and this is what happens, damn I hate missing things when they happen.http://nyynews.com/UserFiles/Image/damonnyy.jpg

Thanks, I always wanted my eyes to bleed.

True Yankee-ette13
I agree with the comments about this move weakening the Sox. There's a plus for the Debbie Downers. :lol:

AMYanks
Shawn Michaels hasn't.

It's Jason Michaels. The baseball player, not the wrestler. :lol:

JDPNYY
Did anyone tell Johnny there's a Transit Strike.

Maybe he better think twice about signing.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:52 AM

should've kept them open when a-rod was batting during the postseason ;)

keg411
I'm iffy on this move. On one hand, it's "Johnny is my homeboy" (a girl came in to where I worked over this summer wearing a PINK shirt that said this, and I wanted to clock her). He also has a lousy arm, and the money is way icky.

On the other hand... it fills a need, and it's only four years. Sheff is gone after this year. If Melky/Gardner are ready in the next few years, Damon moves to left or DH. And by the time the best OF prospects will be ready, Damon will be in the last year (and probably DH-ing) or gone. Plus, the Sox now have to overspend for whoever they trade for, or pick someone up off the non-tender list.

Don't like the defense and the money/years (although the fact that there's no 5th is HUGE -- I don't care about the NT).
Iffy on the character. He'll make for some good (if not sometimes embarrassing) quotables.
Like the offense and the fact that it hurts the Red Sox

NelsonMuntz
Can we STOP talking about boobs? I do need to sleep tonight.
Hey, they started it. I can't sleep now anyway. Still feeling very conflicted over this signing.

gdn
Damon says he WILL cut his hair and shave. Rest assured all of you.

shotgun_sam

You can take a deep breath, relax, and understand he'll be with us for 4 years.

Then i'd begin drinking heavily.

But me, i don't mind him around so much....on SoSH they were making their projected lineups, it made me laugh.

NYYBombshell
I agree with the comments about this move weakening the Sox. There's a plus for the Debbie Downers. :lol:

Oh, that's the one thing I agree with. As much as I dislike this, I like the fact that the Sox are up Sh*t Creek right now.

ryanthe13th

Have another Coke.

Dooley Womack
12-21-05, 12:53 AM
Damon's speed may already not be what it once was. He stole 30+ bases in each of his first two seasons in Boston, and fewer than 20 in each of his last two. Caveat, of course: lack of foot speed is hardly the only explanation for the decline. But there is a noticeable decline in zone rating in 2004 and 2005, as well. Couple these two, and it's at least possible to conclude that Damon is slowing down already, as many players do when they're on the wrong side of 30.

(Don't get me wrong...I still think this sucks for the Sox, at least until I see what the hell they have up their sleeves to counteract it.)

Hey I know that you particulary think it sucks. I know you banked on him coming back when you spoke of this team's (the Sox) potential.

AMYanks
Damon confirming he will follow the Boss's orders and cut his hair. :lol:

JDPNYY
You got it, and I imagine that they will trade from that depth to get a DH who can also play some outfield and/or first base if needed. Crosby is a 4th outfielder, a late inning defensive replacement, and that's it. The wonder now is, will the Yankees sign Bernie and will Torre slot him in as DH everyday. Unless the Yankees trade or sign another player, I don't see anyway Torre will resist the urge to put Bernie in the lineup everyday.

The Yankees can not have a bench with Bernie & Bubba on it. Bubba is a 5th OFer at best and Bernie should be retired.

NewEraYanks2527
You got it, and I imagine that they will trade from that depth to get a DH who can also play some outfield and/or first base if needed. Crosby is a 4th outfielder, a late inning defensive replacement, and that's it. The wonder now is, will the Yankees sign Bernie and will Torre slot him in as DH everyday. Unless the Yankees trade or sign another player, I don't see anyway Torre will resist the urge to put Bernie in the lineup everyday. We should trade for a corner OFer and let Sheff DH, not trade for a DH that can play some OF.

NYYBombshell

Well, now I feel so much better about this.

JeffWeaverFan
Yep, it's no coincidence that his power numbers went down this year and he fell apart at the end of the year...

HouseThatRingsBuild

AWESOME!!!!

NelsonMuntz
JDPNYY, you are cracking me up tonight.

Dooley Womack
They never really liked Damon.

We all knew how they hated him.

MisterNovember

Watch it...

I know you don't like this move, but this comment is uncalled for.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:54 AM
Have another Coke.

Good idea.

gdn
Is anyone listening to this radio broadcast? They're talking about physical harm coming to him, preventing him from signing with the Yankees. Pathetic. Classless.

BronxByTheBay

I bet the years had more to do with it than the money. I'm sure the Yankees would have been happy to overpay Carlos Beltran for three or four years.

On first glance, I like this signing. I've said all along I'll gladly take Johnny Damon for the next few seasons.

True Yankee-ette13
Can we STOP talking about boobs? I do need to sleep tonight.

Damon, "A-rod is the anti-Christ", boobs........just another day here at nyyfans.com. :gulp:

BW51
i'm torn on this move...

i mean, like everyone, i've watched him enough over the yrs to know his strengths and weaknesses...

i like the movie from an offensive standpoint but not necessarily defensive standpoint....and what do i feel this team needs?...more defense

so i like it, but i don't...time will tell

I Love Wang

This is not the argument you want to make. Damon is 32, and will be until next November. Bernie's age 32 and 33 seasons (.307/.395/.522; .333/.415/.493) are better by a tremendous margin than anything Johnny Damon has every done. His age 34 and 35 season, which we'll be paying $26 million dollars for for Damon, were ugly. They were about 25% worse. If Damon declines that much, he will be the worst value in baseball.

jimmykey2

Great.... Now if we can only get him to not allow Carl Crawford to score from 2nd base on fly balls.

BronxByTheBay
12-21-05, 12:55 AM
Good idea.

I see - so I get married and NOW you decide to discuss your cup size?

Damn tart.

NYYBombshell
Is anyone listening to this radio broadcast? They're talking about physical harm coming to him, preventing him from signing with the Yankees. Pathetic. Classless.

The Sox fans? Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

gdn
Well, now I feel so much better about this.Some kid at a AA game last year told me I looked like him. I decided to cut my hair and shave soon thereafter.

CTSoxFan
Yeah, they just want to talk about my boobs!

Hey, it's that or "the Yankees just signed Johnny Damon." If those are my options...

JDPNYY
Did anyone tell Johnny there's a Transit Strike.

Maybe he better think twice about signing.

Does he know how hard it will be getting around the City?

scull567

Almost as funny as comparing this thread to the johnny damon thread in the hot stove forum. I could have sworn 99% of the people here were against signing Damon at anything beyond 2 years. Now he gets a big 4 year deal and Damon turns into a great player and a great move.

I Love Wang
Watch it...

I know you don't like this move, but this comment is uncalled for.

What are you, the comment police? Damon does HGH. You think he grew a beard for fun? Beards are a great way to hide acne.

NYYBombshell
I see - so I get married and NOW you decide to discuss your cup size?

Damn tart.

You're married now?! Awwww, you should have told me. I would have emailed you those nudes I took.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:56 AM
The Sox fans? Yeah, that was pretty stupid.Yeah, that he better not run into the wrong people on the street.... ridiculous.

Johnny O
Would you bet about $100+ million for 6 years on that? Comparatively, 4 years at $52 million sounds relatively good.

Beltran was going to give the the Yanks a discount relative to the contract he signed with the Mets, he's 4 younger, is a better defender and has already had a career Damon can only dream of having. You know why we couldn't sign Beltran? Because of excessive contracts given to players on the current roster. Why we won't be able to sign a key FA iwe need in 2008? Because of an excessive contract given to Damon.

JeffWeaverFan
On another board I post on(whose members are predominantly from etheir CA, MA, RI, PA, or NY), they're already placing Damon in the same mold of 'traitor' as Boggs and Clemens.
He is a traitor. When a guy says, "There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need." And then goes and signs with the Yankees, he is a traitor.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:57 AM
Yeah, that he better not run into the wrong people on the street.... ridiculous.

Pick anyone from their roster and move them 208 miles south.

That above statement will apply to them.

NewEraYanks2527
Yeah, that he better not run into the wrong people on the street.... ridiculous. That shows a lot of class, just like slapping a player when he is digging the ball out of the corner.

WebsterMulligan

Because the Yankees blew their wad on starting pitching. Not very wisely either.

gdn
Pick anyone from their roster and move them 208 miles south.

That above statement will apply to them.True as that may be, I'm not sure saying it on radio is the wisest thing - or the classiest thing.

hobokenfish
What are you, the comment police? Damon does HGH. You think he grew a beard for fun? Beards are a great way to hide acne.

Do you have anything to substantiate this? If not, it's pure BS speculation and it's unfair.

NewEraYanks2527
He is a traitor. When a guy says, "There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need." And then goes and signs with the Yankees, he is a traitor.
Money talks bull................ walks. Welcome to the Dark Side Johnny.

True Yankee-ette13
12-21-05, 12:58 AM
Almost as funny as comparing this thread to the johnny damon thread in the hot stove forum. I could have sworn 99% of the people here were against signing Damon at anything beyond 2 years. Now he gets a big 4 year deal and Damon turns into a great player and a great move.

I prefer to think of it as "accepting things you cannot change" and "looking on the brightside of things". As far as hypocritical behavior goes, however, neither fanbase is one to talk.

I Love Wang

Its hard for me to call a major league free agent a traitor. What he is a LIAR.

MisterNovember

If you'd been on this board longer than a few months, you'd know that unsubstantiated steroid accusations aren't tolerated by the mods. As much as we all love your smarmy, condescending posts, I thought I'd give you a heads up before you get ROed.

Pancake
It's Jason Michaels. The baseball player, not the wrestler. :lol:

You're right! My bad! Three glasses of wine, I'm on the East Coast in a West Coast body and it's late. Thanks for catching that!

dartek
12-21-05, 12:59 AM
We all knew how they hated him.
Sure, we hated him about as much as Yankee fans loved him right Dools? :P

I Love Wang
Do you have anything to substantiate this? If not, it's pure BS speculation and it's unfair.

Well boohoo. I'm sure Johnny Damon is kept up at night because mean old I Love Wang at nyyfans.com thinks he did steroids! Its unfair!

RhodeyYankee2638

Accusing players of steroid usage is against community standards

NYYBombshell

Do you like posting here?

hobokenfish
Beltran was going to give the the Yanks a discount relative to the contract he signed with the Mets, he's 4 younger, is a better defender and has already had a career Damon can only dream of having. You know why we couldn't sign Beltran? Because of excessive contracts given to players on the current roster. Why we won't be able to sign a key FA iwe need in 2008? Because of an excessive contract given to Damon.

Ooh, so we could have had Beltran hitting .268 for only $100 million?? Wow, the front office really screwed the pooch on that one.

CTSoxFan
12-21-05, 01:00 AM
Hey I know that you particulary think it sucks. I know you banked on him coming back when you spoke of this team's (the Sox) potential.

Yup. Now, any way you slice it, the Sox have to bank on a less proven commodity for 2006. Trade Manny for Beltran? Hope he comes back. Trade Arroyo or Clement for Jeremy Reed? Hope he's as good as people say he is (and hope the rest of the rotation steps up). Leave Adam Stern out there? Hope there's plenty of heroin available for sale in my area next summer.

NewEraYanks2527
Well boohoo. I'm sure Johnny Damon is kept up at night because mean old I Love Wang at nyyfans.com thinks he did steroids! Its unfair!
Seriously dude you gotta watch it, that ................ don't fly and I wouldnt want to see you get the boot.

gdn
This music is so cheesy....

wait, why am I still listening to it?

I Love Wang
If you'd been on this board longer than a few months, you'd know that unsubstantiated steroid accusations aren't tolerated by the mods. As much as we all love your smarmy, condescending posts, I thought I'd give you a heads up before you get ROed.

I've read a huge number of posts that did exactly that. I wasn't aware that anyone cared about steroid speculation, and I read nothing about that in the community standards, though I could stand to peruse them again.

And "smarmy." Great word.

Clemens831
12-21-05, 01:01 AM
Can somebody throw up a link to some of Damon's defensive stats? Zone rating, etc...?

JeffWeaverFan
Don't even worry about 2008... Damon will be 35, Jeter will be 35, A-Rod will be 34, and Matsui will be 34. And they'll only be making about $60 million combined...

Dooley Womack
Somebody please keep me out of the Sox thread?

chanman7483

Comparing Bernie and Damon, offensively, is almost apples and oranges. One is a leadoff contact hitter with pop, the other was a legitimate power threat who hit in the cleanup spot.

If I had to pick between Frank thomas and Durazo, I'd go with durazo in a heart beat.

ChrisV82
The Yankees don't need a leadoff hitter. People always say that and it's the biggest dumb................ery around. Jeter had a .389 OBP, which LED ALL LEADOFF HITTERS IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, and happened to be 16th out of all players. Damon's OBP was more than 30 points below that.

I wonder, then, if Damon should hit second.

hobokenfish

No, it's just against the community standards here. Not to mention that it's low class.

WebsterMulligan
Its hard for me to call a major league free agent a traitor. What he is a LIAR.

And you believed him?

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 01:02 AM
Somebody please keep me out of the Sox thread?

Ummmmm, there's Sox fans there?

JeffWeaverFan
Not to everyone on this board...

jimmykey2
Ooh, so we could have had Beltran hitting .268 for only $100 million?? Wow, the front office really screwed the pooch on that one.

Not that I wanted Beltran because I clearly didn't, but you can't compare 52 million for a player who is 100% CLEARLY on the decline to 100 million for a player coming into his prime.

I Love Wang
Can somebody throw up a link to some of Damon's defensive stats? Zone rating, etc...?

I do know his ZR was 15th of 20 qualified ML CFers.

NewEraYanks2527
Beltran Beltran Beltran chirst people we didn't sign him, he won't ever be a Yankee, it's over. Let it go.

chanman7483

Just the basics:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/5484/fielding.html

MiamiKat
12-21-05, 01:03 AM
Do you like posting here?
Personally, I'd rather read ILW's comments than a running commentary on your boobs, but then again I'm female so that might have something to do with it...

:D

RhodeyYankee2638
Not that I wanted Beltran because I clearly didn't, but you can't compare 52 million for a player who is 100% CLEARLY on the decline to 100 million for a player coming into his prime.

He has the most inconsistent career of any current major league player

NewEraYanks2527
Not that I wanted Beltran because I clearly didn't, but you can't compare 52 million for a player who is 100% CLEARLY on the decline to 100 million for a player coming into his prime. Yea he sure as hell showed he was coming into his prime last season. 5 tool player my ass.

MisterNovember
And "smarmy." Great word.

Yes, I thought it was a pretty accurate description of your posting style.

chanman7483

RF was 3rd in the league

JeffWeaverFan
12-21-05, 01:04 AM
Before he signed with the Yankees, nobody would have cared about stating the obvious.

destiNY
Does he know how hard it will be getting around the City?

Absolute mad house, just got back from RAngers Devils game (ugly ugly game) and I saw a co-worker of mine who works in the city and it took him 2 hours to get to Penn Station.

NYYBombshell
Personally, I'd rather read ILW's comments than a running commentary on your boobs, but then again I'm female so that might have something to do with it...

:D

Oh we stopped that. It just broke up the tension for awhile.

gdn
His ZR has declined each year over the past four years....

hobokenfish

Damon just turned 32. I wouldn't say he is CLEARLY on the decline. And $100 million for 7 years of any player with Beltran's career numbers is not worth it.

Zimmers' Helmet
Based on what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/sports/baseball/21damon.html
Yanks Add Centerpiece in Damon

..Derek Jeter reached base more often than Damon last season and his career on-base percentage is .386. But Damon is more of a stolen-base threat and will surely bat leadoff, bumping Jeter to second. Boras has contended that the Yankees needed Damon because they have not won the World Series since they used a more traditional leadoff hitter, Chuck Knoblauch, with Jeter batting second...

Is Johnny Damon anywhere near a .310 hitter in the #2 spot? ;)

I Love Wang
12-21-05, 01:05 AM
No, it's just against the community standards here. Not to mention that it's low class.

Well, I've never been high class, and the CS says nothing about steroids. I checked.

keyserhh
on the damon signing, a number of things are important

1. forget comparisons with bernie's age 32-35 numbers. bernie in his prime is a hitter on the level of vlad guererro (>950 OPS). damon is nowhere near close. his 1 good year in the last 5, 2004, was the result of an unusual power (19 hr) which is almost unquestionably a fluke (terrible slugging last year). after a hot start in 2005 which was related to a high BA due to his high BABIP, he had - and check on this - a HORRIFIC POST ALL-STAR BREAK. discount his 2004 season, and the last 6 seasons says $13 million just paid for a .760 OPS.

2. estimations of this guy's "amazing range" are insanely overrated. see his ZR, in which he is either among, or the very worst, in the MLB. now, i know fielding stats are just estimates, but i highly doubt that "the worst" is a good sign, esp in the cavern of YS center field.

3. Damon's speed decline is evident by 2 major factors: his declining SBs, and his clear downard fielding trajectory (steeply declining zone rating). the fact is, while the guy is pretty good, his upside is probably about:

year 1: 780 ops, mediocre range in CF
year 4: 720 ops, terrible CF (come to think of it, thats synonymous with this year's aging CF).

i thought cashman was truly playing it smart this offseason: dotel, villone, bad signing with farnsworth, but still ok. this move reeks of Tampa and 2000-2005 yankees overpaying for free agents on the downside of their career. bad news.

NelsonMuntz
Damon just turned 32. I wouldn't say he is CLEARLY on the decline. And $100 million for 7 years of any player with Beltran's career numbers is not worth it.
Beltran would have signed with the Yankees for 6 years.

CTSoxFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3323&context=fielding

I Love Wang
RF was 3rd in the league

Range Factor isn't a very good stat.

chanman7483

Espn has him up as 8th?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2005&seasonType=2&split=84&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRating

27IsNext
Who am I kidding? This is awesome. Now I can ask my Sox fan friend for that Damon shirt and go mock all of the Sox fans here at UA.

BronxByTheBay
12-21-05, 01:06 AM

And making steroid accusations without evidence is a great way to get suspended. You don't know jack or sh*t about Damon and whether he's juiced or not. And now especially that he's going to be a Yankee, your comments are player bashing.

gdn
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/sports/baseball/21damon.html
Yanks Add Centerpiece in Damon

Is Johnny Damon anywhere near a .310 hitter in the #2 spot? ;)Well, what I said was that if the argument is that Jeter/Damon in the 1-2 spots are better than any other 1-2 combination we've had recently, then I can't argue with that.

I CAN argue with the assertion that Jeter is a worse leadoff hitter than Damon.

I Love Wang
Yes, I thought it was a pretty accurate description of your posting style.

Most of my friends think its an accurate description of me a lot of the time.

WebsterMulligan
12-21-05, 01:07 AM
Well, I've never been high class, and the CS says nothing about steroids. I checked.

Trust me, it IS against CS. You'll get RO'd, if you persist.

NYYBombshell

The mods have said numerous times that accusing players of using steroids is a no-no.

It would behoove you to cease and desist.

Yankee26t
Damon To The Yanks Is Wrong

http://www.johnnydamon.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10

JonSnow
Someone kill me.

I am going to go hang myself with some dental floss.

I Love Wang
Espn has him up as 8th?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2005&seasonType=2&split=84&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRating

I said major league CFers. You were looking at AL only.

JeffWeaverFan
He is on the decline. His defense has declined every year for the last 5 and his offense declined from last year.

As I've said for the last month or so, I think he will be a good player for the next 2 seasons, but I'm very concerned with him for every season after that.

gdn
Espn has him up as 8th?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2005&seasonType=2&split=84&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRatingout of 10...

WebsterMulligan
12-21-05, 01:08 AM
The mods have said numerous times that accusing players of using steroids is a no-no.

Behoove. I like that word even better than "impunity". ;)

Yankee26t
12-21-05, 01:08 AM
NYYBOMBSHELL - my compliments to you

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 01:09 AM
Someone kill me.

I am going to go hang myself with some dental floss.

That's a rather extreme reaction, wouldn't you say?

I Love Wang

I did stop. Why don't you post something original for a change?

Clive
Someone kill me.

I am going to go hang myself with some dental floss.Waxed or unwaxed?

chanman7483
I said major league CFers. You were looking at AL only.

Ah right.

NYYBombshell
Behoove. I like that word even better than "impunity". ;)

Yeah, it's another word that isn't used much.

WebsterMulligan
12-21-05, 01:10 AM
He is on the decline. His defense has declined every year for the last 5 and his offense declined from last year.

As I've said for the last month or so, I think he will be a good player for the next 2 seasons, but I'm very concerned with him for every season after that.

The Yanks will still get much more value out him in the last two seasons, as opposed to what they got out of Kevin Brown.

I would have only gone three years for Damon, but I cannot complain about this move.

jimmykey2
Yea he sure as hell showed he was coming into his prime last season. 5 tool player my ass.

To just make sweeping generalizations on a young player based on his 1st season in NY (however bad it was) is silly. I would've preferred to give 90-something million to Beltran if I knew the Yanks were gonna give UNMENTIONABLE 52 million a year later.

Is there a better chance Beltran improves or Damon declines this year? The answer seems pretty obvious to me. I would've been very happy to have Jeremy Reed catch everything in CF and attempt to hit at least .270.

destiNY
I know this shouldn't be posted here but those of you who need a brain rest from this:

Kobe Bryant 62 points in 3 quarters (30 in the 3rd quarter :gulp:) . Phil Jackson sits him in the 4th.

WebsterMulligan
Waxed or unwaxed?

Go with the unwaxed. It will hurt more.

StatenIslandYankee
12-21-05, 01:11 AM
Damon: .366
Jeter: .389
Rodriguez: .421
Sheffield: .379
Giambi: .440
Matsui: .367
Cano: .320
Posada: .352

GOOD GOD!!!

JonSnow
That's a rather extreme reaction, wouldn't you say?

Yeah...
But the offseason was going so well...no overspending, no need to make a "splash"; we were avoiding the types of contracts that have hurt us recently...until this.

gdn
Well folks, it's been fun. My PC has risen sharply based on this thread alone. I will now sleep.

NYYBombshell
I know this shouldn't be posted here but those of you who need a brain rest from this:

Kobe Bryant 62 points in 3 quarters (30 in the 3rd quarter :gulp:) . Phil Jackson sits him in the 4th.

I was hearing about that on 1050 before I turned it off. It's something other than this to discuss, that much I'll say.

ZYanksRule
this ESPN radio guy is an idiot.

shotgun_sam

Is that a way of saying "i'm backing off before i get banned, like everyone said?"

I Love Wang
The Yanks will still get much more value out him in the last two seasons, as opposed to what they got out of Kevin Brown.

Hopefully. And thats still probably the worst way to evaluate moves. If you signed a rock to a $3mil/year deal, it would, literally, provide better value than Kevin Brown did last year. Was it a good signing?

chanman7483

Agreed.. but see post 545 and check out his career trends. Up down, up down. He's currently coming off of a "down"

EDIT: OPS

destiNY
12-21-05, 01:12 AM
Damon: .366
Jeter: .389
Rodriguez: .421
Sheffield: .379
Giambi: .440
Matsui: .367
Cano: .320
Posada: .352

GOOD GOD!!!

I'll bet Cano's OBP will be around .350+ next year, especially if he bats 9th in front of Damon.

BroadwayBomber55
Even if the Yankees offically signed Johnny Damon, this is still the same Yankee team from last year: a quality big bopping hitting club and not a solid all around hitting club that can beat you in a lot of ways other than hitting the longball.

Sure, Damon can hit leadoff and DJ can hit 2nd and eliminate A-Rod and Godzilla from hitting in that 2 hole, but still it only helps the offense.

The OF defense is still not good. The only OF who has the speed, mobility, and a strong, accurate arm on defense is Bubba Crosby. Hideki Matsui has speed to cover ground and a quick release, but not a strong arm. Johnny Damon has the speed, but not a strong arm.

NYYBombshell

I put the word "behoove" in there. That's original.

I Love Wang
Is that a way of saying "i'm backing off before i get banned, like everyone said?"

Its a way of saying "I don't need you to be the 14th person to tell me this." And, furthermore, as I've pointed out, there is nothing about steroid speculation in the community standards. Look for yourself. (http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php)

EnterNight42
12-21-05, 01:13 AM
I dont like this. I think its dumb.

gdn
I put the word "behoove" in there. That's original.Very good! I'm impressed.

NYYBombshell
Its a way of saying "I don't need you to be the 14th person to tell me this." And, furthermore, as I've pointed out, there is nothing about steroid speculation in the community standards. Look for yourself. (http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php)

The mods have told us not to do it.

ctyank1
Oh, come on! Why all the negatives? Damon is a true lead-off hitter and batting from the left side is a natural for the Stadium. Besides this does two things - gives us a centerfielder and puts a big hole in center for Boston.