PDA

View Full Version : Damon signs with Yanks...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

flymick24
12-20-05, 11:48 PM
He's an on base machine. He finds a way and their isn't a scrappier player in baseball. The Yanks, with Dotel and now Damon have to be the favorites now.

Oh...one other thing..........BOSTON HAS NO CF! :lol:

they'll get reed

YankeeinCT
12-20-05, 11:49 PM
Though I wish they had gotten someone a little younger, I think Damon might add some life and energy to this team. What will his Red Sox fans do when they see him? Boo him?

NYYBombshell
I completely agree. If Damon were to play RF, teams would run on him with impunity.

Impunity.

Now there's a word that isn't used enough.

seamusk
stop whining. Damon is a great player. No, he isn't a league mvp. so what. A-Rod cannot play every position. We're all good and our bullpen is solid. Besides, Damon is the only player I like on the Sox.

JDPNYY
I wonder if Johnny Damon will be given Uniform Number 21?

RIYankeeFan
Thats the best part about this deal. With a lot of CF'ers gone from the market, the only one that they could fight back with is Hunter, who I don't think Boston has the trade bait to get, after losing Hanley Ramirez, their biggest chip. If you think about it, who do they have playing shortstop and CF now? Varitek will be catching Wake till they get a catcher comfortable catching for him, and they have Mike Lowell at 3rd base. The Sox lost all of their heart, Damon, Millar, (I'll say Mueller), Mirabelli.

LOL... Wait til they have to part with Brandon for Reed, or any CF worth getting. They'll still have Manny and Ortiz, but man they took a pounding.

flymick24
This is the type of deal the Yankees needed to avoid...

which is why i think it was a steinbrenner deal

ryanthe13th
I can't wait to see NoMass' post about this.

flymick24
12-20-05, 11:50 PM

i was thinking 3

Evil Empire
I'm not a stat head, but Jeter sure does like to hack. It's just aggravating at times, and I know I'm not the only one who has complained about this/ suggested that he's better in the 2 hole.

I agree(I know, I know.) Jeter filled the role well this year since we had no one better, but between Him and Damon, I'd rather him in the 2nd spot.

CTSoxFan
Though I wish they had gotten someone a little younger, I think Damon might add some life and energy to this team. What will his Red Sox fans do when they see him? Boo him?

Yup.

I Love Wang
I'm not a stat head, but Jeter sure does like to hack. It's just aggravating at times, and I know I'm not the only one who has complained about this/ suggested that he's better in the 2 hole.

And you, and everyone else who said that, is wrong. Jeter took more P/PA last year than Damon, and is a much better player at getting on base. Jeter also has slightly better career numbers in the leadoff spot.

Dooley Womack
I guarantee we will see an Arroyo for Reed trade in the coming days.

Reed won't give the Sox what Damon gave them. His biggest advantage is a lesser contract (who really cares?).

JDPNYY
i was thinking 3

3 is retired.

Yankees1962
The problem is, in 2009, when we have CF prospects, they're going to get blocked because we've got a below-average player making 13 million dollars a year while leading off.
For the last time, he can slide over to LF with Matsui Dhing which leaves CF and RF for younger outfielders.

gdn
Okay folks, i've tried escaping this thread 3 times already so now I'm REALLY out.

It would be cool if everyone calmed down a little bit. I got my Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cab Sauvignon going here, I'm gellin, you gellin?

Damon is a done deal, no turning back, there is no need to gouge one's eyes out, slit one's wrists, or tell someone that they are an idiot for picking one side or the other.

Sorry if I offended any Jason Michaels proponents, and no offense taken by me for anything.

Goodnight and God Bless the Yankees and all you mofos.Dude, I just had that with dinner! I prefer the YT Shiraz, though.

AMYanks
ESPNEWS has Bubba Crosby as the DH in its projected lineup. :lol:

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 11:51 PM
While Damons OBP is 20 points lower on the road, his power numbers are slightly higher, leveling out his OPS's

Tifoso
This is the perfect signing:

1. We improve the Yanks. Bubba as back up--fantastic. Bubba as starter--dunno.

2. We weaken the Sox. Whoever they sign for CF, will be no Damon. At least for a year or two.

3. The Sox may be forced to keep an increasingly disgruntled Manny--ie, they can't afford another O downgrade.

For those who look down the road at a declining Damon...look down the same road at a declining Manny. Or Schilling. Or (insert Jays player(s) here)

Look you may have been against this. I know that many were against the Giambi signing; or the Sheffield signing, or the O' Neill signing...

you get my point ;)

I Love Wang
I can't wait to see NoMass' post about this.

Its gonny be a doozy, I assure you.

wileedog
Thats what a DH is for. Sheff will be long gone by then
He'll have about a .720-.740 OPS by then with very little pop.

That's livable for a CFer, but for a DH?

WebsterMulligan

I'd give him Mel Hall's old number.

chanman7483
12-20-05, 11:52 PM
There was never discussion about Michaels or Reed that STARTED with either of those guys. Initially Philly wanted Wang for Michaels, and then backed off that, and they were talking Sturtze/Henn. Seattle supposedly offered Reed for Pavano.

Which is why the Yankees/Tampa are idiots :uhh: (sarcasm)

If that was the case, and the moves were such obvious moves to make, they would've been done. As I said before and will say for the last time, every move discussed regarding the Yankees have centered around Wang and Cano, mainly Wang.

I Love Wang
For the last time, he can slide over to LF with Matsui Dhing which leaves CF and RF for younger outfielders.

So then we'll have Damon putting up a 90 OPS+ playing a lousy left field making 13 million dollars. Gee, how am I not ecstatic about this deal?

sdraughn
Damon's not playing RF with his arm!

Outside of his weak arm - he isn't a bad fielder. Definately not in RF! Boston has a tough CF to play with the various angles. He is durable, an upgrade to the offence, and will give everything he has. 4 years isn't unreasonable. Remember Bore-ass said in the beginning that anything less than 7 wouldn't be considered.

What about moving Damon to LF and giving Godzilla CF?

ericns1
So much for the writers not thinking the Yanks will do anything big this winter - on ESPN Buster Olney likes the deal

Yankees1962
This is the type of deal the Yankees needed to avoid...
No, the type of deals the Yankees need to avoid is five years or longer.

noneckwilliams
Just so everyone knows, the Red Sox, according to Olney and ESPNews, offered Damon 4 years at 40 million. We offered him about 3 more million per. Anywho, Johnny Damon makes this team better at manufacturing runs. SOMETHING WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH IN A LONG TIME. And frankly, he is practically the same CF Bernie Williams was in terms of range from 1999-2001. We went to the WS all 3 years. Carry on folks...

According to Steve Burton (local TV guy) Damon told the RS about the Yankee offer today and they apparently thought he was bluffing.

flymick24
3 is retired.

fine. then give him 2.

RhodeyYankee2638

So you are saying our DH then will be better than our DH's last year? Perfect

JDPNYY
I think Bubba Crosby has played his last game as a Yankee.

C-BUS CLIPPER
12-20-05, 11:53 PM
Man, CASH had a busy day/night today. Dotel, now Damon.

I wonder if this was a BOSS forced deal????

Dooley Womack
.340 OBP out of Fenway the last 3 years.

I'm not sure the word 'machine' means what you think it does.

And .372 at Yankee Stadium. Not too shabby, huh?

JDPNYY
fine. then give him 2.

I have no beef with that.

gdn
Sigh.... for the money and his declining D, it's not worth it. That's all I can say anymore.

polygon
Jeter may be a better lead off hitter than Damon, but Jeter's best years offensively have come when he was batting second in the order.

CTSoxFan
I think Bubba Crosby has played his last game as a Yankee.

I wonder if the Red Sox can get him in a trade?

RhodeyYankee2638

I must put away my cashman hate, he came through today

JDPNYY
12-20-05, 11:54 PM
I wonder if the Red Sox can get him in a trade?

I'm not sure the Red Sox have anyone worth Bubba.

MM7
Don't throw it Johnny... Run it in.

At least Manny won't be out there intercepting the throws on Johnny.

The man was hurt at that time last year. His shoulder was killing him. His arm is weak, no doubt, but I am sure he is rehabing. We should cut him some slack, perhaps. He can do a lot of things well. Maybe we should focus on those. I am not being an apologist, but he is one of us at his point and he can help us produce many more runs.

Dooley Womack
This is the perfect signing:

1. We improve the Yanks. Bubba as back up--fantastic. Bubba as starter--dunno.

2. We weaken the Sox. Whoever they sign for CF, will be no Damon. At least for a year or two.

3. The Sox may be forced to keep an increasingly disgruntled Manny--ie, they can't afford another O downgrade.

For those who look down the road at a declining Damon...look down the same road at a declining Manny. Or Schilling. Or (insert Jays player(s) here)

Look you may have been against this. I know that many were against the Giambi signing; or the Sheffield signing, or the O' Neill signing...

you get my point ;)

Lou, some people who are against this trade because of this supposed decline wanted a 35 year old Giles for 3 years! Damon is no Bernie. Bernie was an injured player with bad knees, back and shoulder.

I Love Wang
12-20-05, 11:55 PM

Actually, he's posted a .326 OBP at Yankee Stadium the last 3 years. That is very shabby.

ryanthe13th
Its gonny be a doozy, I assure you.

I'm 100% sure that I won't be disappointed. If you help run the site, this is me thanking you for making me laugh constantly throughout the season while also opening my mind to different ideas.

YankeePride1967
Buster Olney said that Cashman called Boras today and said that with the non-tenders being available tomorrow that he needed an answer tonight on Damon and said he would come aggressive, but again, needed to know tonight. If not then Cash was ready to move on to the DFA's.

chanman7483

I'm not going to pretend I can look into the future, but who says that iwll be the case?

His career has featured 2 seperate 3 and 2 year trends in which is OPS steadly rises then falls drastically. This is followed by a few season of upward trending, then a bad year. Last year, his OPS dropped 50 points. I know age will become a factor soon, but who's to say that he won't trend upwards again after falling off, as he's done throughout his career?

I Love Wang
Jeter may be a better lead off hitter than Damon, but Jeter's best years offensively have come when he was batting second in the order.

Jeter's career numbers are better as a leadoff man.

gdn
Just to be clear - when he puts on pinstripes on opening day next year, will I root for him to do well? Ofcourse.

Am I ecstatic about this right now? No.

ICEBERG18
12-20-05, 11:56 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spdamon1221,0,7603605.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Updated...

noneckwilliams
And you, and everyone else who said that, is wrong. Jeter took more P/PA last year than Damon, and is a much better player at getting on base. Jeter also has slightly better career numbers in the leadoff spot.

but haven't you heard? the yankees now have the "true" leadoff hitter they've lacked and can move derek jeter to his natural #2 spot in the order.

Dooley Womack

Agree. When they are 1-2 it really is nitpicking as to who's better at leadoff. The best 1-2 in baseball!

NYYBombshell
I'm open to changing my mind about this, but right now I just don't see the love for this deal.

RhodeyYankee2638
He has a .375 OBP againnst the Red Sox, he is money

JDPNYY

Jeter needs to lead off.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-20-05, 11:57 PM
Beyond all the numbers, a few things to keep in mind about Damon and it will be interesting to see how he fits in the clubhouse. Damon isn't afraid to speak his mind, he said a few things this year which pissed Tito off out in Boston and forced some strained appologies. The NY media will have a field day with Damon because he is liable to say anything. He's not malicious, he's just kind of goofy and it could cause some issues in a buttoned up clubhouse.

Damon also might have a chip on his shoulder vs. his old club. Forget the negotiations where the Sox didn't come after him as he liked. Stuff started last year, as the Sox are usually proficient at doing, they begin smear campaigns against their own players to turn the fan base against them. This past year was shedding light on the cat fight between Schilling's wife and Damon's then girlfriend. The Sox love to throw their own under the bus, they did it to Clemens, Nomar, Vaughn, Boggs, etc, and Damon got the same typical treatment.

And one more thing, remember when Rivera had that horrible accident at his home in Panama and flew in late to Game 1 of the ALCS and got to the Stadium. The crowd gave him a standing O, the bullpen greeted him, and I remember Damon walked over to the wall by the dugout and kind of tipped his glove towards Mo to kind of give him his condolenses and pass his thoughts along to him, even in the midst of this game. I know that these guys are all human, and we as fans take it more seriously than they do, but it did show me something about Damon. Also, think back to all the trash talk about ARod from the Boston clubhouse. Damon never said a word. Though he was the lead idiot and one of the leaders the team rallied around, he was never in the class of Schilling or Varitek as total a-holes, Damon never bothered me like those guys did. Since he's here, welcome to the good side Johnny and here's to 4 great years and help us end this 5 year World Series title drought.

wileedog

Er. no.

You looked at his OBP vs. the Yanks in total.

His OBP last year in YS was .350. From 2002-2004 it was .326.

Yes, shabby.

Better yet, his SLG was a whopping .376.

The Dynasty
I still hope we can pry Michaels from Philly.

1.Damon cf
2.Jeter ss
3.Rodriguez 3b
4.Giambi 1b
5.Sheffield dh
6.Matsui lf
7.Michaels rf
8.Cano 2b
9.Posada c

keithf1
i was on the red sox forums and i saw someone to reply to a previous post. i thought it was pretty funny.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Come 2009, Damon will be just like Bernie Williams was for the MFY in 2005, an overpaid carcass.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup and they'll probably have finished in first place for the 13th consecutive year, and if the Red Sox are lucky, all their rotisserie league transactions will have sewed up another American League Wild Card championship.

RhodeyYankee2638
Jeter needs to lead off.

IDK what more important. He certainly takes more walks, but he doesn't take a lot of pitches and hacks early a lot. I'd put the player that takes the most pitches as the leadoff

JDPNYY
12-20-05, 11:58 PM
Jeter didn't move to 3B for the best SS in the history of baseball (arguably), he shouldn't move from the leadoff spot for Damon.

True Yankee-ette13
I agree with all the optimists (Lou, Dooley, AJW, etc).

:)

Dooley Womack
Actually, he's posted a .326 OBP at Yankee Stadium the last 3 years. That is very shabby.

My mistake....it was .372 against the Yanks, period. He's bound to do much better playing 81 games at YS as it becomes his "home."

I Love Wang
12-20-05, 11:59 PM
IDK what more important. He certainly takes more walks, but he doesn't take a lot of pitches and hacks early a lot. I'd put the player that takes the most pitches as the leadoff

Thats Jeter. I love the internet.

Evil Empire
Jeter needs to lead off.

Jeter has the better 2nd Hole numbers too. Damon hasn't hit second in the last three years.

Espinosa's Glasses
How can people argue about who is the better lead off hitter... they are both damn good... stop being so damn dumb...

4 years.. I am happy...

I Love Wang
My mistake....it was .372 against the Yanks, period. He's bound to do much better playing 81 games at YS as it becomes his "home."

I hope you're right, and this is a great deal. The noose prices are outreagous, and I can't afford one this close to the holidays.

Blaze
I hope this turns out to be a good move. Remember what happened to the last lead off man that we shaved down?

lem
The Yankee Stadium dimensions will likely inflate Damon's slugging percentage, also

keithf1
Beyond all the numbers, a few things to keep in mind about Damon and it will be interesting to see how he fits in the clubhouse. Damon isn't afraid to speak his mind, he said a few things this year which pissed Tito off out in Boston and forced some strained appologies. The NY media will have a field day with Damon because he is liable to say anything. He's not malicious, he's just kind of goofy and it could cause some issues in a buttoned up clubhouse.

Damon also might have a chip on his shoulder vs. his old club. Forget the negotiations where the Sox didn't come after him as he liked. Stuff started last year, as the Sox are usually proficient at doing, they begin smear campaigns against their own players to turn the fan base against them. This past year was shedding light on the cat fight between Schilling's wife and Damon's then girlfriend. The Sox love to throw their own under the bus, they did it to Clemens, Nomar, Vaughn, Boggs, etc, and Damon got the same typical treatment.

And one more thing, remember when Rivera had that horrible accident at his home in Panama and flew in late to Game 1 of the ALCS and got to the Stadium. The crowd gave him a standing O, the bullpen greeted him, and I remember Damon walked over to the wall by the dugout and kind of tipped his glove towards Mo to kind of give him his condolenses and pass his thoughts along to him, even in the midst of this game. I know that these guys are all human, and we as fans take it more seriously than they do, but it did show me something about Damon. Also, think back to all the trash talk about ARod from the Boston clubhouse. Damon never said a word. Though he was the lead idiot and one of the leaders the team rallied around, he was never in the class of Schilling or Varitek as total a-holes, Damon never bothered me like those guys did. Since he's here, welcome to the good side Johnny and here's to 4 great years and help us end this 5 year World Series title drought.

well said my man. be optimistic people, it shouldn't be that hard because we just got a great player and guy (NOW CUT YOUR HAIR)

dabomb2045
12-21-05, 12:00 AM
I like this signing. 4 years for Damon is fine IMO

We are a better team then we were 3 hours ago.

Dooley Womack
Buster Olney said that Cashman called Boras today and said that with the non-tenders being available tomorrow that he needed an answer tonight on Damon and said he would come aggressive, but again, needed to know tonight. If not then Cash was ready to move on to the DFA's.

Thank GOD the decision was made tonight then.

Johnny O
Agree. When they are 1-2 it really is nitpicking as to who's better at leadoff. The best 1-2 in baseball!

In this lineup damon should hit towards the back end. It's not the best it can be otherwise.

I Love Wang
How can people argue about who is the better lead off hitter... they are both damn good... stop being so damn dumb...

4 years.. I am happy...

Is it hard to look at relevant stats and compare them? Does this make me dumb? Or worse, damn dumb?

wileedog

I just love spending $50 million on wishful thinking.

harkode2002
12-21-05, 12:01 AM
The bottom line is real simple - we just got a lot better, and Boston just got a lot worse. Isn't that what Cashman is around for?

We will score 50 more runs then if we kept Bubba in CF. Damon will score 125 easily, Bubba would have scored maybe 75. Now keep in mind that Boston will have to weaken their ML pitching staff by dealing Arroyo for Reed. Given full time play, Reed may score 80 runs, thus decreasing the total runs for Boston by 35-40. Plus the added benefit is that they will lose Arroyo to fill this hole.

A huge win for the Yankees today. Don't forget Dotel either. That guy could be huge for us.

If we can avoid the 11-19 start in 2006, we have the potential to win 105. Boston with this loss of Damon, potential loss of Arroyo, potential loss of Manny, and a pretty poor infield, they may struggle to fend off Toronto.

gdn
IDK what more important. He certainly takes more walks, but he doesn't take a lot of pitches and hacks early a lot. I'd put the player that takes the most pitches as the leadoffHe takes more pitches than Damon.

Espinosa's Glasses
Is it hard to look at relevant stats and compare them? Does this make me dumb? Or worse, damn dumb?

They are both good... you don't understand?

RhodeyYankee2638
All in all, it does look lik we have the best 1-2 in baseball, and probably the second best 3-4. Our 1-7 looks solid. If we can get a nice DH or corner outfielder, our offense would be that much more brutal

CTSoxFan
12-21-05, 12:02 AM

Would there have been a reason for the Sox to want to turn the fan base against Damon in the middle of a season?

Or could you be confusing the actions of the idiots in the Boston press corps with the actions of the team's management?

The great "Sox Management Smears Players On Their Way Out of Town" urban legend lives on.

wileedog
The Yankee Stadium dimensions will likely inflate Damon's slugging percentage, also
It hasn't over the past 4 years.

Johnny O
I'm open to changing my mind about this, but right now I just don't see the love for this deal.

I know this deal sucks hard, but I am also hoping for the best.

Dooley Womack
I hope you're right, and this is a great deal. The noose prices are outreagous, and I can't afford one this close to the holidays.

:lol:

ILY, we addressed our 2 most pressing needs this off-season - CF and the pen. The alternatives to play CF plaed in comparison. I'll go so far as saying thank God we passed on Beltran and got Damon. He has "winner" tattooed all over his body.

I Love Wang
They are both good... you don't understand?

I guess not.

Evil Empire
All in all, it does look lik we have the best 1-2 in baseball, and probably the second best 3-4. Our 1-7 looks solid. If we can get a nice DH or corner outfielder, our offense would be that much more brutal

I wonder how much it'd cost to get Aubrey Huff.

True Yankee-ette13
12-21-05, 12:03 AM
We are a better team then we were 3 hours ago.

That's the main point that I think a lot of people are missing. Bubba, sure I love the guy and he's decent defensively, but backups are backups for a reason. Period.

JDPNYY
Maybe the Yankees keep Johnny D around for a year or two until Melky is ready, then ship him off to the Mets or Blue Jays.

I Love Wang

ILY, we addressed our 2 most pressing needs this off-season - CF and the pen. The alternatives to play CF plaed in comparison. I'll go so far as saying thank God we passed on Beltran and got Damon. He has "winner" tattooed all over his body.

Eric Milton has the Yankee tattoo on his body.

chanman7483
i was on the red sox forums and i saw someone to reply to a previous post. i thought it was pretty funny.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Come 2009, Damon will be just like Bernie Williams was for the MFY in 2005, an overpaid carcass.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup and they'll probably have finished in first place for the 13th consecutive year, and if the Red Sox are lucky, all their rotisserie league transactions will have sewed up another American League Wild Card championship.

Bernie was still extremely produce as a 34 year old in 2002 (19 hr 102 RBI, .908 OPS). His fall off was a result of injuries. Who's to say he wouldn't have continued for a few more years if he didn't get hurt? This comparison b/t damon and williams is irrelevent and for a lack of a better word, stupid.

Dooley Womack

Yeah Rhodey! I'm f'n psyched.

RhodeyYankee2638
I wonder how much it'd cost to get Aubrey Huff.

Oh, probably our stud lefty prospect Henn and our dominant set up man Sturtze

Espinosa's Glasses
I guess not.

IF you can't see that Jeter and Damon are both good... then yeah.. you might just be dumb

Evil Empire
Maybe the Yankees keep Johnny D around for a year or two until Melky is ready, then ship him off to the Mets or Blue Jays.

Damon for Beltran :lol:

JJazz
Four years is one too many, although I doubt he could have been had for three+option. This makes us better and our rival worse. It's a good move. But I don't have to like him.

wileedog
12-21-05, 12:04 AM

I wish I could bookmark this for 2009.

gdn
That's the main point that I think a lot of people are missing. Bubba, sure I love the guy and he's decent defensively, but backups are backups for a reason. Period.But see, that's the thing. The only thing to rave about Damon (if you can use that word) is his offense. We don't really NEED his offense. We NEED defense.

That's why I don't like this deal.

Dooley Womack
Eric Milton has the Yankee tattoo on his body.

On his a$$ I believe. How appropriate.

NYDCYankee
I still hope we can pry Michaels from Philly.

1.Damon cf
2.Jeter ss
3.Rodriguez 3b
4.Giambi 1b
5.Sheffield dh
6.Matsui lf
7.Michaels rf
8.Cano 2b
9.Posada c

With the signing of Dotel we have real pitching depth. I def could see this happening.

Evil Empire
Oh, probably our stud lefty prospect Henn and our dominant set up man Sturtze

OMG11~!@

polygon

To me, Jeter's best years are '99 and 2000 in which he hit second behind Knoblauch.

AMYanks
If this was a 2-year deal, I'd be happy. If it were a 3-year deal, I could deal with it. 4 years? Eh.

Michaels07

Cashman must be a proponent of Intelligent Design :D

The Dynasty
12-21-05, 12:05 AM
Paraphrase from a comment from Damon (mentioned by Karl Ravech):

"Now that I'm gone, I hope Boston is able to get one of those CFs they've been courting for the past month."

Ouch.

Dooley Womack
I wish I could bookmark this for 2009.

Beltran. 2005 sucked. 6 to go.

I Love Wang
On his a$$ I believe. How appropriate.

A guy I met at a party once insisted on showing me that he had "your name" tattooed on his ass. He was drunk. I thought it was really clever, and was impressed, until I found out he stole the idea from a TV show.

I'm not going to talk about Johnny Damon anymore. I'm going to be like JDPNYY, and post irreverant nonsense to pacify myself.

AMYanks

"Now that I'm gone, I hope Boston is able to get one of those CFs they've been courting for the past month."

Ouch.

Heh, nice little jab.

JDPNYY
To Do

Get Choi.

Tell Damon he can't play in the WBC.

Clive
12-21-05, 12:06 AM
To Do

Get Choi.

Tell Damon he can't play in the WBC.What about telling Choi that he can't play in the WBC?

Mark19
I don't like this.

Our outfield defense has not been significantly improved and we will likely be stucky with a $13 million 36 year old CF who can't move or throw particularly well.

JDPNYY
A guy I met at a party once insisted on showing me that he had "your name" tattooed on his ass. He was drunk. I thought it was really clever, and was impressed, until I found out he stole the idea from a TV show.

I'm not going to talk about Johnny Damon anymore. I'm going to be like JDPNYY, and post irreverant nonsense to pacify myself.

Eh... It's only sorta working.

Tifoso
I'd give him Mel Hall's old number.

Exactly :clap:

Yankees1962
To Do

Get Choi.

Choi signed with the Dodgers today.

True Yankee-ette13
But see, that's the thing. The only thing to rave about Damon (if you can use that word) is his offense. We don't really NEED his offense. We NEED defense.

That's why I don't like this deal.

See, I disagree with this. Our offense really wasn't that impressive to me last year. Don't even get me started on the RISP numbers.

I agree that the defense must be improved, however. We can start with geting rid of Posada, but hat's a whole 'nother issue altogether. :)

AMYanks
To Do

Get Choi.

Choi re-signed with the Dodgers.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 12:07 AM
What about telling Choi that he can't play in the WBC?

We have to get him first. Then the To Do List can be updated.

Dooley Womack
I think that this is one of the faster growing threads that I can remember in a long time.

He's already made an impact.

NyQuil
Great signing.

gdn
To me, Jeter's best years are '99 and 2000 in which he hit second behind Knoblauch.What does that have to do with comparing him to Damon?

The Dynasty
With the signing of Dotel we have real pitching depth. I def could see this happening.

Exactly. My hesitation with this deal is not the years or cash involved. But our ROI defense-wise.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 12:08 AM
Choi signed with the Dodgers today.

Yeah, because they have room for him......

Stupid ass Dodgers.

Why was I not alerted of this signing?

Damn.

I Love Wang
To me, Jeter's best years are '99 and 2000 in which he hit second behind Knoblauch.

To me, Jeter's career line batting #1 of .317/.390/.472 is better than his career line batting second of .313/.386/.465.

These numbers are available for public consumption. I'm not just guessing. Sport Illustrated's website has some very comprehensive career splits.

RhodeyYankee2638
What does that have to do with comparing him to Damon?

Shows he hits better behind a natural leadoff????

Soriano was either out, or trotting around the bases when Jeter came up

True Yankee-ette13

Ouch.

BURN.

That just made me like him a little more. :lol:

23and2
Loud noises!

ICEBERG18
To Do

Get Choi.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051220&content_id=1285247&vkey=pr_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

gdn
See, I disagree with this. Our offense really wasn't that impressive to me last year. Don't even get me started on the RISP numbers.

I agree that the defense must be improved, however. We can start with geting rid of Posada, but hat's a whole 'nother issue altogether. :)Yeah, well CF was the one place we could readily upgrade our defense and we didn't.

If Giambi reverts to old (signs of which he showed) and Cano blossoms over a full season, then we've got a pretty darn good lineup. Damon wasn't essential to our offense.

NelsonMuntz
12-21-05, 12:09 AM
I'd still rather have signed Beltran last year.

I Love Wang

I agree that the defense must be improved, however. We can start with geting rid of Posada, but hat's a whole 'nother issue altogether. :)

Do you even know the RISP numbers?

JDPNYY
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051220&content_id=1285247&vkey=pr_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

NOW I get alerted.

The Dynasty
Heh, nice little jab.

Odd. I thought it was a kick in the nuts ;)

polygon
What does that have to do with comparing him to Damon?

I believe Jeter is better in the 2 hole. Having Damon leadoff, even though Jeter maybe a better overall leadoff hitter, is beneficial to the team. Synergy as they say.
One of Boras' main chapters in his "book" he gave to the yankees on JD talked about this.

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:10 AM

Ouch.

Oh snap.

Dooley Womack
Damon and Dotel. I've never seen better double D's in my life.

True Yankee-ette13

Of the Yankees as a whole? I know only the White Sox hit worse than us with RISP. Why the smart alec response??

gdn
Shows he hits better behind a natural leadoff????

Soriano was either out, or trotting around the bases when Jeter came upI wish there was a "shaking my head" smiley. Where's Josh with that :rolleyes:

What the heck is a natural leadoff? How was/is Knoblauch/Damon more of a "natural leadoff" than Jeter? The stats certainly don't prove your point. In fact, they prove the opposite!

CTSoxFan

Those were also his age-25 and age-26 seasons...probably not a coincidence. I don't think position in the batting order necessarily had much to do with it.

lem
To me, Jeter's career line batting #1 of .317/.390/.472 is better than his career line batting second of .313/.386/.465.

These numbers are available for public consumption. I'm not just guessing. Sport Illustrated's website has some very comprehensive career splits.

Those numbers are basically identical. I'm in agreement with you that Damon should bat second, but the numbers alone are not reason enough in and of themselves to justify not moving Jeter from the leadoff position.

RhodeyYankee2638

Those stats are a bit skewed, since Jeter literally has 2,000+ more at bats as a #2 hitter

CTSoxFan
12-21-05, 12:11 AM

Dude...you need to get out more. ;)

NYYBombshell

You apparently haven't met me yet.

Evil Empire

I don't. Can you point them out for me?

gdn
I believe Jeter is better in the 2 hole. Having Damon leadoff, even though Jeter maybe a better overall leadoff hitter, is beneficial to the team. Synergy as they say.

These numbers are available for public consumption. I'm not just guessing. Sport Illustrated's website has some very comprehensive career splits.There you go.

AMYanks

Well...

C-BUS CLIPPER
I like the move. 1) It makes our lineup that much better 2) It weakens Boston.

Nice work Mr. Cashman. Something tells me hes not done either.

I Love Wang
Those numbers are basically identical. I'm in agreement with you that Damon should bat second, but the numbers alone are not reason enough in and of themselves to justify not moving Jeter from the leadoff position.

You're missing the point. I'm combatting the silly idea that Jeter is a "better" hitter when he's hitting second. I'm simply offering up proof that this is patently false.

gdn
You apparently haven't met me yet.:lol:

:looking:

surge511
I agree completely with this deal. Damon is an excellent hitter, and he and Jeter should form a dynamic duo at the top. The lineup once again has surpassed all others as basically the best in history, and we stole him from the Sox. Good job. A lot of money, and bad Dfense, but I think this will help the team in the long run.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:12 AM
What the heck is a natural leadoff? How was/is Knoblauch/Damon more of a "natural leadoff" than Jeter? The stats certainly don't prove your point. In fact, they prove the opposite!

Read my post. I never said Jeter wasn't a natural leadoff, but he hits better behind a person thats a natural leadoff

SubwayFanatic
From the NY Times- interesting

"In a telephone interview late last night, Larry Lucchino, the Red Sox' president, would not confirm that his team had lost Damon.

"We don't comment on ongoing negotiations," Lucchino said. "As far as we are concerned, the matter is still subject to negotiation."

Earlier in the day, the Red Sox co-general manager Jed Hoyer said the team wanted to retain Damon, but he admitted it had started to look for alternatives. Boston reportedly has explored trades for a younger outfielder such as Coco Crisp of Cleveland or Jeremy Reed of Seattle."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/sports/b...artner=homepage

gszabo
Jeter didn't move to 3B for the best SS in the history of baseball (arguably), he shouldn't move from the leadoff spot for Damon.

someone on 1050 ESPN - either Heyman or the host who was Michael Kay's substitute today - made the point that Jeter's a great #2 hitter because he goes the other way so much. with the runner being held, he'll get more hits if the guy ahead of him gets on-base more and can run. which of course should happen if he's hitting behind Damon instead of the 8-9 hitter.

Damon goes the other way a lot, so as a lefty, that doesn't apply to him - as opposed to a lefty who pulled more.

of course the argument could be made that Damon's a lefty, so bat him 2nd to break up the Jeter, A-Rod, Sheffield troika of righties.

it would be interesting if someone had some some stats of Jeter hitting behind Knoblauch vs. Jeter leading off, to test the Jeter #2 theory.

The Dynasty
Oh snap.

Yankeesfan66
12-21-05, 12:13 AM
Ok, like many of you , I really didn't want the Yankees to sign Damon. I admit there's not much logic in my feelings; just an emotional reaction. But, at least the Yankees didn't cave and give him that ridiculous 7 year contract that Boras was asking for. And come on, admit it; whether you love or hate the move, we're all looking forward to seeing Damon with a crew cut!!!

True Yankee-ette13
Yeah, well CF was the one place we could readily upgrade our defense and we didn't.

If Giambi reverts to old (signs of which he showed) and Cano blossoms over a full season, then we've got a pretty darn good lineup. Damon wasn't essential to our offense.

I don't wanna count on "what ifs" to see if the offense will improve. People forget that the offense really contributed to our downfall last season and that there just weren't many options for CF. No Andruw Jones/ Jim Edmonds-esque players available, really. People want everything, but then whne you mention giving up Cano or Wang they gasp and faint. It doesn't work that way.

Dooley Womack
BURN.

That just made me like him a little more. :lol:

Check out the sig. :)

gdn
Read my post. I never said Jeter wasn't a natural leadoff, but he hits better behind a person thats a natural leadoffAs posted above, Jeter's numbers hitting 1st are better than his numbers hitting 2nd.

I'm not sure I understand how you can prove what you're saying....

WebsterMulligan
I think that this is one of the faster growing threads that I can remember in a long time.

He's already made an impact.

JohnNY will make an immediate impact and satisfy the non-believers.

lem
You're missing the point. I'm combatting the silly idea that Jeter is a "better" hitter when he's hitting second. I'm simply offering up proof that this is patently false.

OK. I haven't been following the conversation.

Jeter is a GIDP threat in the 2-hole anyway because of his exorbitant ground ball rate.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:14 AM
There you go.

He has 2,000 more at bats as a #2 hitter. Its hard to compare those numbers. A-Rod must be better hitter at 3rd cause he has a 1.010 OPS as a 3rd baseman :dunno:

Dooley Womack
Dude...you need to get out more. ;)

Hey, I'm more of an @ss man than sloppy boobies. ;)

Johnny O
Bernie was still extremely produce as a 34 year old in 2002 (19 hr 102 RBI, .908 OPS). His fall off was a result of injuries. Who's to say he wouldn't have continued for a few more years if he didn't get hurt? This comparison b/t damon and williams is irrelevent and for a lack of a better word, stupid.

You're right, it is stupid, because Bernie was a signifciantly better than Damon. He had eight (8!) seasons that were better than Damon's best season. By the way, that was 8 (EIGHT) better seasons. Daom has been very inconsistent in his career, over the next 4 years his cumulative OPS will almost surely be in the mid .700s with a chance of going lower.

ZYanksRule
Wow. I really can't believe I'm reading this.

My Sox-fan friends are not happy right now. This year, this is great. Next year, this is good. After that, let's cross that bridge then. He can hit for a great average, he can catch the ball in CF pretty damn well, decent range, and no arm.

We can work with the no arm thing, the range is something I really wanted.

For this season, I'm in love with this trade.

jimmykey2
Oh the ways I hate this move.....

1. Brian Cashman held out to get more power to make moves like this? I'm seriously doubting if he has any clue what he's doing.

2. We just added a guy who looked old/decrepit last season with a worse arm than Bernie Williams. I think we will see that his range/glove won't be as good outside the confines of Fenway.

3. I just hope the smell of Damon's carcass doesn't stink to bad in year 4 of this deal. Let's pray the smell doesn't doesn't come around in 2007.

4. Why did we just add a player who we still need to replace with Bubba Crosby (I know Joe wouldn't do that even if it helps the team) at the end of games?

hobokenfish
I like this move a lot. It's only 4 years, and we get a guy who has good at bats and makes contact. Forget the saber numbers and the on-base averages -- Shef, A-Rod, and Giambi provide a lot of those. This is a guy who can hit for average and wear down an opposing pitcher with a good at-bat. Plus, he's got good speed and can go from first to third on a single. And he's got the occasional pop. Yes, I would have liked this move much more 4 years ago, but we now have a more than serviceable center fielder and a guy who makes the top of our lineup that much better. And we already know he can handle pressure and the limelight. I am excited about this move.

Javadawg44
I go downstairs for coffee and this happens.

I was thinking the same thing. I go to the pub for 1 pint.....ok, 3 but my sponsor doesn't know....I go out for 3 pints and this happens......

Awful.....absolutely awful. I would have rather had Millwood than Damon.

When did our offense become a problem? They looked pretty damn good last year.....

I'm going back to the pub.... :mad:

HouseThatRingsBuild
12-21-05, 12:15 AM
Who said they weren't going to make a big splash? Where's Yankee1962 now?

gdn
I don't wanna count on "what ifs" to see if the offense will improve. People forget that the offense really contributed to our downfall last season and that there just weren't many options for CF. No Andruw Jones/ Jim Edmonds-esque players available, really. People want everything, but then whne you mention giving up Cano or Wang they gasp and faint. It doesn't work that way.Well, with this Damon signing, you're counting on a lot of "what-ifs" to come true.

What if Damon can actually throw a runner out going from first to third
What if Damon can actually throw a ball that reaches the infield
What if Damon can actually cover vast CF
What if Damon's bad OBP in Yankee stadium improves
What if we locked up too much money for 4 years..

?

RhodeyYankee2638
As posted above, Jeter's numbers hitting 1st are better than his numbers hitting 2nd.

I'm not sure I understand how you can prove what you're saying....

Fine. Jeter has far more, far more home runs, SB's, RBI's and hits froom the 2 hole.

Cappy
Would there have been a reason for the Sox to want to turn the fan base against Damon in the middle of a season?

Or could you be confusing the actions of the idiots in the Boston press corps with the actions of the team's management?

The great "Sox Management Smears Players On Their Way Out of Town" urban legend lives on.
As a Boston resident for the past ten years who also happens to manage the websites of two Red Sox players as part of his job... believe me, this is my own personal hell as a Yankees fan... I can tell you that, yes, there is a definite connection between the Boston Globe, the Red Sox front office, and the "smear campaigns" that are put out there by the media.

In fact, if you wanted to do a little research on this, you'd find that the writers and editors at The Boston Herald have complained about this speicifically. The Globe is the voice of the Red Sox. They get all the inside scoops in return for "leaking" stories the F.O. wants to put out.

It's not even a secret. This is all pretty much out in the open up here.

MM7

To me, that's plain silly. You have someone who has led off well throughout his career, and someone who has been proficient at batting one and two and can and should adjust as well. With third base, Jeter would have been required to learn a new position.

Ghost of Thurman
I cannot understand how anyone can be disappointed with a player who has a .353 career OBP, (.366 last year) has great speed to cover the gap and knows how to play the game defensively, compensating for a so-so arm.

Uhh, Juan Pierre's career OBP is .355, and it seems most people on this forum think getting him for a bucket of used jockstraps would have been a bad deal. Go figure.

The Dynasty

:looking: :-rtfm-:

True Yankee-ette13
Check out the sig. :)

:lol: Sweet. :clapping:

ring403
12-21-05, 12:16 AM
I believe that Johnny Damon is Win Method certified, so we got that going for us.

Dooley Womack
X-Mas came early this year.

AlongCameAPrincess
Just saw this on ESPN news. :eek: So freakin' bizarre! I feel like this is an episode of the Twilight Zone..

Damon in pinstripes??? Holy cow. Oh well, may it all be for the better.

I Love Wang
I don't. Can you point them out for me?

Here they are. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=nyy&season=2005&split=39&seasonType=2&type=reg)

.272/.360/.458 with RISP as a team. Second in the majors, behind Boston.

Of the Yankees as a whole? I know only the White Sox hit worse than us with RISP. Why the smart alec response??

I don't think I need to answer this now. Though, you're right. The White Sox did hit worse than us with RISP.

WebsterMulligan

:jaw-drop:

JDPNYY
To me, that's plain silly. You have someone who has led off well throughout his career, and someone who has been proficient at batting one and two and can and should adjust as well. With third base, Jeter would have been required to learn a new position.

I am offended by your words.

YankeePride1967

I am dying to ;)

Dooley Womack
12-21-05, 12:17 AM
I believe that Johnny Damon is Win Method certified, so we got that going for us.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

WM was actually kinda fun to have around

True Yankee-ette13
Well, with this Damon signing, you're counting on a lot of "what-ifs" to come true.

What if Damon can actually throw a runner out going from first to third
What if Damon can actually throw a ball that reaches the infield
What if Damon can actually cover vast CF
What if Damon's bad OBP in Yankee stadium improves
What if we locked up too much money for 4 years..

?

Everytime you trade or sign someone it's like that, though. It's better than playing the role of sitting duck, when we really don't have the luxury too, IMHO.

JDPNYY

Finally... some good news.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:18 AM
He has 2,000 more at bats as a #2 hitter. Its hard to compare those numbers. A-Rod must be better hitter at 3rd cause he has a 1.010 OPS as a 3rd baseman :dunno:In the last three years:
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" width="115">Batting #1</td><td>988</td><td>187</td><td>303</td><td>46</td><td>6</td><td>37</td><td>119</td><td>104</td><td>16</td><td>169</td><td>18</td><td>9</td><td>.307</td><td>.380</td><td>.478</td><td>.858</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left" width="115">Batting #2</td><td>648</td><td>110</td><td>199</td><td>44</td><td>1</td><td>13</td><td>71</td><td>58</td><td>17</td><td>109</td><td>26</td><td>3</td><td>.307</td><td>.378</td><td>.438</td><td>.816</td></tr></tbody></table>

One3kid
OK, I've stopped vomiting enough to finally comment...

First off, I've always hated Damon, as a Royal, an A, and especially as a Red Sox player (I've lived in Boston all my life). And I swore I'd jump ship if he ever came here.

But, I love this team, and that isn't happening. Sure, maybe I'm trying to convince myself this is good so that I don't do something dumb...But it really isn't as horrible as it is at first glance.

He is a solid leadoff guy, and Jeter is a great 2 hitter. Debating who is better in which spot is sort of irrelevant at this point. Bottom line is these 2 are going to score tons of runs with the firepower behind them.

Sure, Damon's arm sucks, but he does have good range. Take away a dozen or so of the "easy" ones that fell in on Bernie, and maybe the arm doesn't come into play as much as we dread it will.

4 years isn't terrible. We're at least 2 years away from having someone worth playing there. And he'll only be 35 at the end of the deal. And a month ago, half this board would have given 10 mill or more to Brian Giles to play CF. And he'd be starting the deal at 35, not ending it.

Like I said, I think I could be the biggest anti-"sign Damon" guy around, but its starting to make sense. The chip on his shoulder based on his comments will help. So long as he doesn't go Samson on us w/the haircut, we could all be singing a different tune in October.

DiMaggio5CF
From the updated Newsday article . . .

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spdamon1221,0,7603605.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Damon is also to receive a no-trade clause as part of the deal.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-21-05, 12:19 AM

2 things here. Yes, they could because Lucchino knew that they weren't going to be offering him the money he was looking for to stay. They need to start to sew the seeds of discontent where they could. Now in hindsight, and even based on the comments that Damon made tonite (paraphrasing "now Boston can go and get one of the CF'ers they've been chasing for months") shows a level of discontent that has been brewing. The Sox didn't want to pay him and he was too popular to suddenly just let him go unless they can get the dent in him. And you don't think that the Red Sox have the local media in their pocket? The Shaugnessy column about Theo prior to Theo's departure was case in point that the Sox control the message in the press. The NY Times (and by extention the Globe) are part owners of the Sox. The Sox control NESN. I went to school up there, Boston is incredibly provincial and the media toes the party line as established by the organization. It's not a myth my friend, it is what it is up there, and the track record speaks for itself.

AMYanks

Of course. Boras is the master of his craft.

I Love Wang

I'm not size oriented with breasts. I'm more into... flavor.

RhodeyYankee2638
In the last three years:
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left width=115>Batting #1</TD><TD>988</TD><TD>187</TD><TD>303</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>119</TD><TD>104</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>169</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>.307</TD><TD>.380</TD><TD>.478</TD><TD>.858</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left width=115>Batting #2</TD><TD>648</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>199</TD><TD>44</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>58</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>109</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>.307</TD><TD>.378</TD><TD>.438</TD><TD>.816</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well you are correct. He has a higher OBP hitting 1st by .002. Stunning difference.

Dooley Womack
On paper the Sox barely match up with the Yanks now.

NewEraYanks2527
Okay I'll say it. Welcome aboard Johnny, I wish you the best of luck here in New York and hopefully you can help be a big part in our quest for #27. Here is hoping that you do great in the Bronx :gulp: :gulp:

HouseThatRingsBuild
OK, I've stopped vomiting enough to finally comment...

First off, I've always hated Damon, as a Royal, an A, and especially as a Red Sox player (I've lived in Boston all my life). And I swore I'd jump ship if he ever came here.

But, I love this team, and that isn't happening. Sure, maybe I'm trying to convince myself this is good so that I don't do something dumb...But it really isn't as horrible as it is at first glance.

He is a solid leadoff guy, and Jeter is a great 2 hitter. Debating who is better in which spot is sort of irrelevant at this point. Bottom line is these 2 are going to score tons of runs with the firepower behind them.

Sure, Damon's arm sucks, but he does have good range. Take away a dozen or so of the "easy" ones that fell in on Bernie, and maybe the arm doesn't come into play as much as we dread it will.

4 years isn't terrible. We're at least 2 years away from having someone worth playing there. And he'll only be 35 at the end of the deal. And a month ago, half this board would have given 10 mill or more to Brian Giles to play CF. And he'd be starting the deal at 35, not ending it.

Like I said, I think I could be the biggest anti-"sign Damon" guy around, but its starting to make sense. The chip on his shoulder based on his comments will help. So long as he doesn't go Samson on us w/the haircut, we could all be singing a different tune in October.

I agree

wileedog
12-21-05, 12:20 AM
Damon is also to receive a no-trade clause as part of the deal.

That's ok, we can just make him a completely substandard LFer or DH for $13M.

Or something.

Yankee26t
12-21-05, 12:20 AM
I have ONE Question....

1. When are we going to learn and stop buying these OLD Free Agents and dumping a TON of cash on them?

By my Count we have won ZERO World Series since signing Mike Mussina. We have actually lost TWO World Series. Bad Move.

Other Free Agents we have spent a TON of money on and NOT WON A THING.
Jason Giambi - Comeback player of year, many kudos for being a man and manning up.
Alex Rodriguez - This guy is a dog. He will NEVER help us win anything. Jeter knows this too.
Gary Sheffield - I love this guy. But we got him too late. He could have helped years ago.
Carl Pavano - Garbage
Jarret Wright - only thing he ever did was beat US
Kevin Brown - Ricky Ledee beat him all by himself in WS
Randy Johnson - could bounce back, prob bad move. Should have got him last year to avoid Boston sweep

RedPDT42
12-21-05, 12:21 AM
Did anyone else notice that there is a no-trade attatched to the contract?

ShaneTravis

I just got off of work---walked home (damn strike), crack a Bass and check the boards---we have Damon and Dotel !!

Amazing, for better of worse Cashman has by far had the best winter of any of his peers. He deserves all the credit in the world.
While not a huge Damon fan, this deal is golden, what other alternative was there?

To Cashman :gulp:

Dooley Womack
I have ONE Question....

1. When are we going to learn and stop buying these OLD Free Agents and dumping a TON of cash on them?

By my Count we have won ZERO World Series since signing Mike Mussina. We have actually lost TWO World Series. Bad Move.

Jason Giambi - Comeback player of year, many kudos for being a man and manning up.
Alex Rodriguez - This guy is a dog. He will NEVER help us win anything. Jeter knows this too.
Gary Sheffield - I love this guy. But we got him too late. He could have helped years ago.
Carl Pavano - Garbage
Randy Johnson - could bounce back, prob bad move. Should have got him last year to avoid Boston sweep

Damon? Old???????

ieddyi
From the NYTimes (Kepner)

"In a telephone interview late last night, Larry Lucchino, the Red Sox' president, would not confirm that his team had lost Damon.

"We don't comment on ongoing negotiations," Lucchino said. "As far as we are concerned, the matter is still subject to negotiation."

LMAO

Yeah Larry, just like you had Theo signed- talk about denial

Slip sliding away......

For next year anyway, the Yanks are much better and the sawx are weaker

RhodeyYankee2638
I have ONE Question....

Carl Pavano - Garbage

Brilliant post, affirming why I wanted Damon signed

gdn
Well you are correct. He has a higher OBP hitting 1st by .002. Stunning difference.You're the one saying he's a better #2 hitter. I'm just providing the stats and saying that you can't substantiate that.

I Love Wang
Well you are correct. He has a higher OBP hitting 1st by .002. Stunning difference.

You're absolutely missing the point. People posting nonsense that Jeter is a better hitter in the 2 hole than leading off is what I posted those stats in response to. I don't think he'll hit better in any spot in the lineup, because I don't believe that would make any difference. The numbers are probably different because of simple statistical variance. It just underlines my point a little more that they're better while he leads off.

JDPNYY
12-21-05, 12:22 AM
Damon? Old???????

ARod, RJohn & KBrown Free Agents????

RhodeyYankee2638
Damon? Old???????

30 year old career bench player Michaels is fine, but 32 year old Damon is OLD

Dooley Womack
I just got off of work---walked home (damn strike), crack a Bass and check the boards---we have Damon and Dotel !!

Amazing, for better of worse Cashman has by far had the best winter of any of his peers. He deserves all the credit in the world.
While not a huge Damon fan, this deal is golden, what other alternative was there?

To Cashman :gulp:

I'll be the first one to say that today was a great day for Yanks fans. Our pen has taken shape and we addressed our other big need - CF. Can't get much better, :)

surge511
I have ONE Question....

Who says Damon is old? He just turned 32, and will be 35 when his contract is up. That is younger than Bernie, and while Bernie declined at an early age, there are just as many examples of when players still produce at ate 36 and beyond.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:23 AM

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spdamon1221,0,7603605.story?coll=ny-sports-headlinesOh THAT does it!

Dooley Womack

35 year old Brian Giles was a babe in the woods. I'm speechless.

NYYBombshell

Oh not that thing again.

I Love Wang
That's ok, we can just make him a completely substandard LFer or DH for $13M.

Or something.

He doesn't need a no-trade clause. He's got a bajillion dollar a year contract that no one wants.

DiMaggio5CF
Did anyone else notice that there is a no-trade attatched to the contract?
No . . . where is that stated??? ;)

HouseThatRingsBuild
It would be cool if he cut his hair and shaved during his press conference

CTSoxFan
For next year anyway, the Yanks are much better and the sawx are weaker

Well, sure...as long as the Red Sox don't make any moves over the next three months, and actually start the season with Cora at short and Stern in center.

Anyone want to take the bet that that'll be the case?

BillAlex
so now that Damon takes Bubba's job in CF, you think he takes his uniform number as well? dont they both wear #18?

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 12:24 AM

Interesting.

RhodeyYankee2638

I love him for his OBP, but his power numbers and HR totals have plummeted

JDPNYY
so now that Damon takes Bubba's job in CF, you think he takes his uniform number as well? dont they both wear #18?

Bubba's Yankee Days are over (IMO).

DiMaggio5CF
12-21-05, 12:25 AM
Bubba will probably move back to #19, which was given to Al Leiter while the Bubster was at AAA.

wileedog
He doesn't need a no-trade clause. He's got a bajillion dollar a year contract that no one wants.

I stated that earlier.

Actually this works in our favor. We won't have the option to pay him $10M to play somewhere else in a 3 years.

I Love Wang

I preferred Giles to Damon because Giles is a much, much better player. He will decline, but he will do so from a much higher prime. Also, his greatest skill, walking, is the last thing players lose. Michaels, who is 29, despite Rhodey rounding up to help his faulty point, was desirable because he's good and cheap. I didn't want to spend 50+ million dollars on an overrated player who is probably going to decline.

Dooley Womack
I love him for his OBP, but his power numbers and HR totals have plummeted

So much that it wasn't as park-related as some wanted to believe. Even on the road they went down.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:26 AM
From NoMaas.org:

Knee-jerk reaction from NoMaas:

We seriously can't believe this. We are upset beyond words. The Yankees spend $52 million on a guy who has a 102 OPS+ for his career and was one of the worst defensive CFs in baseball last year, according to Zone Rating. Best of all, the Yankees will get his decline years as he hits his mid 30s.

And because he's a "natural leadoff hitter", he is going to move 5 better hitters down in the batting order. And how many times do you think Jeter is going to sacrifice bunt next year?

This signing goes against everything that Cashman has been preaching so far this offseason. Was this a Cashman move or was this ordered by Steinbrenner? One has to wonder. Either way proves that this organization is still dysfunctional and inefficient.

Is he an upgrade over Bernie? Yes, he is. But is he worth a $52 million investment? Ever hear of risk/reward? This is a waste of money and a typical Yankees move. These are the garbage transactions that inspired the creation of NoMaas.

HouseThatRingsBuild
Well, sure...as long as the Red Sox don't make any moves over the next three months, and actually start the season with Cora at short and Stern in center.

Anyone want to take the bet that that'll be the case?

Agree, they won't start the season with those guys.

I Love Wang
So much that it wasn't as park-related as some wanted to believe. Even on the road they went down.

Giles home OPS was .795 last year. On the road it was 1.008. That looks pretty "park related" to me.

MM7
I am offended by your words.

Sorry, I just know how hurt you are! My bad

RhodeyYankee2638
. Michaels, who is 29, despite Rhodey rounding up to help his faulty point, was desirable because he's good and cheap. I didn't want to spend 50+ million dollars on an overrated player who is probably going to decline.

And there is nothing that says Michaels would have come cheap. Why would they take our crappy pitchers, and not ask for Wang and Cano? They have no reason to get rid of Michael now do they???

DiMaggio5CF
12-21-05, 12:27 AM
Bubba's Yankee Days are over (IMO).
I don't see why this is so.

Bubba is a career backup, so why not use him as a backup?

His all-out hustle can't make up for his lack of talent, but it's sure nice to see coming off the bench.

His defense and speed make him a viable defensive replacement and pinch runner.

And he can start every once in a while or in a pinch.

If it's a four-man bench and we can get someone better, then cut the Bubbinator. But if there's an extra OF spot on the bench, then keep him.

Yankee26t
ARod, RJohn & KBrown Free Agents????

My bad on the technicality.

My point $$$ = Losing WS's.

Didnt work in the 80's. Aint working now.
This was more about taking him from Boston. Come on we know George.

Johnny O

Ugh. Michaels is cheap and would be under control and give the Yanks options next year. Yanks are stuck with Damon for four years at with an exorbitant contract.

WebsterMulligan
12-21-05, 12:28 AM
Damon? Old???????

Nope, but RJ is. ;)

JDPNYY
Sorry, I just know how hurt you are! My bad

I'm mulling your apology over, I may or may not accept it.

Dooley Womack
I preferred Giles to Damon because Giles is a much, much better player. He will decline, but he will do so from a much higher prime. Also, his greatest skill, walking, is the last thing players lose. Michaels, who is 29, despite Rhodey rounding up to help his faulty point, was desirable because he's good and cheap. I didn't want to spend 50+ million dollars on an overrated player who is probably going to decline.

Damon shows no signs of any decline. I think people are scared off by Bernie, forgetting that injuries played a huge part. Giles, even considering the park he played in, showed a much more drastic decline than Damon, who actually hasn't shown much if any. 35 in decline vs. 32 in less of a decline? I'll take the 32 year old, even if his numbers don't quite match the 35 year old. PLUS CF wouldn't have been addressed with Giles.

yankeegeek
From NoMaas.org:
Looks like a VERY credible source

BTW- Has anybody heard from Peter Gammons. I imagine that he is in a fetal position alternating between crying and sucking his thumb over this one!

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:29 AM
Ugh. Michaels is cheap and would be under control and give the Yanks options next year. Yanks are stuck with Damon for four years at with an exorbitant contract.

So are Wang and Cano, who we would have to give up. The argument doesn't make sense. If he is so young and cheap, then he would be a perfect 4th OF'er for the Philleys

hobokenfish
Carl Pavano - Garbage

And big money free agents that have helped win Championships:

Jim Hunter
Reggie Jackson
Rich Gossage
Jimmy Key
David Wells

So I guess it works both ways. You just have to sign the right guys.

Dooley Womack
Nope, but RJ is. ;)

Who? ;)

He couldn't look any older than Beltran did last year. :D

JDPNYY
I don't see why this is so.

Bubba is a career backup, so why not use him as a backup?

His all-out hustle can't make up for his lack of talent, but it's sure nice to see coming off the bench.

His defense and speed make him a viable defensive replacement and pinch runner.

And he can start every once in a while or in a pinch.

If it's a four-man bench and we can get someone better, then cut the Bubbinator. But if there's an extra OF spot on the bench, then keep him.

Because if (when) Bernie is signed, there needs to be a player on the bench that is a better hitter than Bubba.

gdn

BTW- Has anybody heard from Peter Gammons. I imagine that he is in a fetal position alternating between crying and sucking his thumb over this one!It's not a "news source". It's a website run by (a) Yankee fan(s?) offering their opinion. I just provided a quote.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-21-05, 12:30 AM

BTW- Has anybody heard from Peter Gammons. I imagine that he is in a fetal position alternating between crying and sucking his thumb over this one!

He predicted this on Baseball Tonight a few weeks ago

I Love Wang

Its a parody and opinion site. Not a news site. What does being "credible" have to do with it?

gdn
So are Wang and Cano, who we would have to give up. The argument doesn't make sense. If he is so young and cheap, then he would be a perfect 4th OF'er for the PhilleysThe point is that the latest word on the Michaels situation was Henn/Sturtze. NOT Cano/Wang.

Evil Empire
12-21-05, 12:31 AM
Did he really say this:

"Our policy with the Yankees is to go out there and win… Good leadoff men are tough to find and I think the Yankees found the best leadoff hitter in the game.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

ryanthe13th
Okay, I don't drink alcohol so I am going to do the next best thing and drown myself in caffine. Whose with me? :gulp:

RhodeyYankee2638
The point is that the latest word on the Michaels situation was Henn/Sturtze. NOT Cano/Wang.

And if thats the case, it will still go through cause we need anothe decent OF'er, and havee extra pitchers.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua

I imagine Gammo is talking to the Damon poster in his bedroom and trying to convince it to change his mind. And then he's awaiting instructions from Lucchino and Henry to see how he will slam Damon and the Yankees for the move and say things like, "Jeremy Reed is a guy the Sox wanted all along and he's a much better fit for the Red Sox, Damon is a cancer".

destiNY
The moves are great and here's why:

Small or Proctor
Sturtze
Villone (LP)
Myers (LP)
Farnsworth
Dotel
Mariano

Damon
Jeter
A-Rod
Giambi
Sheffield
Matsui
Posada
Crosby/Bernie/Philips
Cano

? (CF)
Loretta
Ortiz
Manny
Varitek
Nixon
Lowell
Youkilis
? (SS)

Foulke :lol:
Hanson
Mota
Seanez
Timlin
Papelbon
? (Lefty?)

Thank you Santa :D :smokin: :-rofl-: :-bye-: :2thumbs: :clap:

chanman7483
I have ONE Question....

Carl Pavano - Garbage

:snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: So then what woudl the alternative be? You tell me. You act like this is a video game and you can trade players to wherever you want for whoever you want... "they should've traded for him a year earlier...", "he could have helped years ago"

EDIT: BTW, The Yanks traded for ARod.

NYYBombshell
Wait wait wait.

Is there actually someone here who thinks we shouldn't have signed Alex?

CTSoxFan

Damon's game is also built on his speed, whereas Giles' is based on his ability to get on base. It's probably safe to assume that Damon's wheels will come off before Giles loses his batting eye.

Yankee26t
If we get rid of Robinson Cano. That would be a sin.

NelsonMuntz
From NoMaas.org:
I'm trying to keep an open mind about this signing but it's hard to argue with any of this:

We seriously can't believe this. We are upset beyond words. The Yankees spend $52 million on a guy who has a 102 OPS+ for his career and was one of the worst defensive CFs in baseball last year, according to Zone Rating. Best of all, the Yankees will get his decline years as he hits his mid 30s.

And because he's a "natural leadoff hitter", he is going to move 5 better hitters down in the batting order. And how many times do you think Jeter is going to sacrifice bunt next year?

This signing goes against everything that Cashman has been preaching so far this offseason. Was this a Cashman move or was this ordered by Steinbrenner? One has to wonder. Either way proves that this organization is still dysfunctional and inefficient.

Is he an upgrade over Bernie? Yes, he is. But is he worth a $52 million investment? Ever hear of risk/reward? This is a waste of money and a typical Yankees move.

I Love Wang
So are Wang and Cano, who we would have to give up. The argument doesn't make sense. If he is so young and cheap, then he would be a perfect 4th OF'er for the Philleys

They have Victorino, who is younger and cheaper and hits for more power to be a 4th outfielder. We would certainly not have to give up Wang and Cano for Michaels. Can't you learn to say anything else? The deal being discussed was centered around Sturtze.

gdn
12-21-05, 12:32 AM
And if thats the case, it will still go through cause we need anothe decent OF'er, and havee extra pitchers.Why? Apparently all Bubba was worth was a backup OF, so NOW why do we give up money AND prospects? Keep Bubba.