PDA

View Full Version : Damon signs with Yanks...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

tmanf
12-20-05, 10:16 PM
Jason Michaels. Even if you don't think he'd hit like Damon, he'd atleast play A LOT better D. Plus it looked like he was gonna cost only Sturtze and Henn.

I agree. At that price, Michaels was a much better option.

Were there any other names though?

Panamaniac42
Jason Michaels is a 4th outfielder...

Jason Michaels has gotten way too many virtual handjobs from nyyfans.com

i'm sick of hearing about him. and now i won't have to anymore, so in that sense I'm thrilled about the Damon signing.

ok now i'm leaving. later

Sam18
As I've said before - here's the problem. He is NOT a good defensive CFer. We don't NEED extra offense. Jeter, Sheff, A-Rod, Giambi are good enough. Now we've locked up 52 million more.

This also blocks the young prospects, unless he moves to RF in two years.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Tifoso
Why, I'm flattered! Flattened, even!

They could have done a lot worse (starting with leaving Bubba out there). I don't HATE this. I'm not passionately in love with it, but I'm not making a voodoo doll of it to stick pins into.

No matter what anyone says, this is a huge upgrade from Bernie offensively and no worse defensively. Plus, he's guaranteed to add years to his career by taking a pair of pinking shears to that quaff on his noggin.

My feelings exactly.

It ain't like a RS coming to the Yanks has never worked before (and I'm not even talking Ruth).

The top 6-7 in this order are an All Star team.

Vin
Wang for Kotsay?

That makes some sense, since Wang is starting to get injured. Perhaps Pavano for Kotsay but the A's are asking for Cano and Wang. They need a big bat such as Sheffield.

ALR83
I can think of a few. If he's productive and get's us #27, I'll begrudgingly accept that he's a member of this team, but if he sucks, I'm going to kill the F.O. This contract was for too much money and I fear this will be Bernie: The Late Years Pt. 2 and we can't go through that again.

Even if he helps the team get #27 it still won't make me like the guy. In fact, I f'in HATE him.

My hatred for him has nothing to do with him as a player as much as I just absolutely despise the guy, so this is really hard to swallow.

StatenIslandYankee
People need to stop overracting ... it's not that bad of a deal, and it's not like he will be the CF the whole contract.

NYYBombshell
F*CK.

I'm with Tracy.

lem
As I've said before - here's the problem. He is NOT a good defensive CFer. We don't NEED extra offense. Jeter, Sheff, A-Rod, Giambi are good enough. Now we've locked up 52 million more.

This also blocks the young prospects, unless he moves to RF in two years.

Saying 'we don't need extra offense' is pretty ignorant, no offense. A player is the sum of all parts - any poor defensive player who can make up for it with his offense is a positive to the team, so it becomes a question of whether Damon's OBP and average-mediocre defense is better than Crosby's above-average defense.

AMYanks
12-20-05, 10:17 PM
"Cheaper" as in, we would only have to trade Carl Pavano for him?

Because that's what Seattle threw out there.

Considering that would free up about $25M in salary, yes, it would be.

flymick24
Another 4 years of everyone and their mother going 1st to 3rd on every hit....

:eek:

lol :lol:

Murcer'swerebest
gdn has it right. Damon's arm is very bad when he's healthy. He hurt his shoulder some time in the second have and was throwing so bad that he mad Bernie look like 1979 Dave Winfield. Did you watch those Boston infielders running 50 feet into the outfield to get his "throws"?

His range isn't what it once was, either. And on top of that, looking at the stats at espn, you find that he had a crappy half season 3 out of the last 4 years. Only in 2004 was he good both halves.

What will be the reaction if he has a crappy first half in 2006? He'll be crucified.

DiMaggio5CF
XM Satellite Radio is saying that this makes the Yankees the class of the league :lol:

Take it easy. Damon helps, but he doesn't make or break the team.

The rotation is still shaky at best, and the bullpen isn't rock solid either. Dotel is more of a difference-maker, but no one knows if he'll be healthy.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
If you think that Cashman wasn't involved then your discrediting him. It was reported on Monday that Cashman held conference calls with Steinbrenner and I bet you the subject matter of those calls was the closing of this deal. Also, George King might not have been too off in his column about the Yankees holding off announcing the Dotel deal because Steinbrenner didn't give his approval last night.

I'm not saying that Cashman wasn't involved. I'm saying that this is most likely not the direction that Cashman wanted to go in. If I had to guess, I think that Cashman was serious that he wanted to see how the market would shape up for a trade later on and would have gone with Bubba there. Think about the moves the Yankees have made this off-season and even last year. Doesn't this move, the length of the contract and money, and the profile of the player, fit with a Steinbrenner move? I think that Cashman would have been quite content to try to swing a deal for Jeremy Reed or Michaels and from there see if a Torii Hunter became available in July and make a deal.

38Special
Have you seen his numbers away from Fenway? He also isn't near what he used to be defensively.
Have you seen Jeter away from Yankee Stadium?

ok i'll stop :lol:

Sam18

And yet he's a better option than Damon. Just because the Phillies don't know how to use their players correctly doesn't mean we shouldn't take advantage of it.

gdn
So you want a really week arm in RF?Better than CF!!!

Yankeeah
So we lost our first round draft pick in this, right?

Johnny O

Says you. He's only a 4th OFer based on lack of opportunity in Philly.

Vin
Last year Damon is I believe one of the top guys with bases loaded. So that would help since we can't consistently get a run in those situations.

AnibalTheCannibal
12-20-05, 10:18 PM
Someone posted the link earlier, we can't lose the 21st pick, we give up our late first round pick to the Sox (or sup round)

Yea that was my mistake. I didn't realize the 21st was for Gordon. The Sox grabbed the 28th pick, plus the first round sandwhich pick.

goin for 27
Why does everyone care about the money like its yours or something?

Either you like the move or you don't.

Seriously? This is money that can be spent on others. There is a reason why Cano and Wang are so precious, they allow other studs to be signed, because they are under control, and cheap.

Money, and more importantly years cannot NOT be in the equation of a FA signing.

Sam18
Have you seen Jeter away from Yankee Stadium?

ok i'll stop :lol:

So because Jeter sucks away from YS, we should be cool with Damon?

Ghost of Thurman
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051220&content_id=1285418&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

Wow, 4 years, $52mm. That seems like a lot of jack per year. But for next year at least, the Yankees are going to be positively sick offensively. Wow.

AMYanks
So we lost our first round draft pick in this, right?

Nope.

Wizler
12-20-05, 10:19 PM
On ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Breaking News

gdn
Saying 'we don't need extra offense' is pretty ignorant, no offense. A player is the sum of all parts - any poor defensive player who can make up for it with his offense is a positive to the team, so it becomes a question of whether Damon's OBP and average-mediocre defense is better than Crosby's above-average defense.Umm no. The only thing Damon can be said to bring to the table at this point is his offense, which adds to an already potent offense. Our problems last year were with defense in CF (remember Bubba/Sheff?). The offense was NOT a problem. If we were to add a CF, I'd have preferred one with above-average defense and average offense.

This signing does not fill that need.

Yankees1962
I don't understand all the love for Michaels when most of us have hardly watched him play in many games?

goin for 27
I'm not saying that Cashman wasn't involved. I'm saying that this is most likely not the direction that Cashman wanted to go in. If I had to guess, I think that Cashman was serious that he wanted to see how the market would shape up for a trade later on and would have gone with Bubba there. Think about the moves the Yankees have made this off-season and even last year. Doesn't this move, the length of the contract and money, and the profile of the player, fit with a Steinbrenner move? I think that Cashman would have been quite content to try to swing a deal for Jeremy Reed or Michaels and from there see if a Torii Hunter became available in July and make a deal.

I don't disagree.

I hope Cashman enjoyed his 5 whole weeks at the helm, because it looks like the Cashman era is over. :lol:

wileedog
Great question. They BETTER NOT HAVE GIVEN HIM ONE.

4/52 is its own no trade clause.

I hate this deal.

Evil Empire
Better than CF!!!

Is it?

ring403
I wanted anyone but Damon. Honestly. We can live w/o the offense he would provide. Youth, payroll flexibility and defense were the needs of the day.

This fills none of those.
1) The Yankees gave up none of their young talent for Damon, so youth was served.
2) We knew from the Giles negotiations that the Yankees had at least $10 million per year budgeted for an outfielder. Signing Dotel instead of Tavarez saves significant additional cash, as does not signing Nomar, therefore making Damon affordable. The Yankees will still be able to reduce payroll, and provide flexibility.
3) Damon is a very good defensive CF. His throwing arm isn't good, but his range is.

runkisayankfan
12-20-05, 10:20 PM
ESPN is reporting that the deal is sone except for Damon's physical.
2006 - the year the Yanks bring the WS tropy back were it belongs!

StatenIslandYankee
Damon, Jeter, Arod, Sheffield, Giambi, Matsui, Cano, Posada and whoever we sign as a 1B/DH will be one sick lineup.

NelsonMuntz
My ass. There was no one available, and the asking price for Michaels and Reed was going to start and end with Cano/Wang whatever way you try to spin it
Cashman should get on the phone with Gillick and tell him to enjoy that rotation next season.

Yankeeah
Nope.

Why not, I know the 21st is the Phills via Gordon, but why do we keep ours?

RhodeyYankee2638
1) The Yankees gave up none of their young talent for Damon, so youth was served.
2) We knew from the Giles negotiations that the Yankees had at least $10 million per year budgeted for an outfielder. Signing Dotel instead of Tavarez saves significant additional cash, as does not signing Nomar, therefore making Damon affordable. The Yankees will still be able to reduce payroll, and provide flexibility.
3) Damon is a very good defensive CF. His throwing arm isn't good, but his range is.

Thank you

Matsui needs to learn to cut off throws

mickey mantle
this offense will be pretty sick

161 and River Ave.
This is only a four year deal. We should get at least 3 good years out of him. It's not like their were many options out there folks. Crosby isn't a better outfielder than Damon by any means. I hated this guy with the Red Sux. But let's face it, he makes our team better. And it's not for the Boras 7 years. Who else was gonna play centerfield for the next 3 years. Hopefully Melky is ready by the time JD is done with.

Pagliarulo Era
12-20-05, 10:21 PM
Anyone who thinks Damon will be the long term CF at Yankee Stadium hasn't watched him play there much. His range is declining, and his arm is atrocious. He is going to be the LF by 2008. Yes he's been durable, but he's struggled playing through injuries he clearly should have been DL'd for, so that doesn't hold much water.

lem
Umm no. The only thing Damon can be said to bring to the table at this point is his offense, which adds to an already potent offense. Our problems last year were with defense in CF (remember Bubba/Sheff?). The offense was NOT a problem. If we were to add a CF, I'd have preferred one with above-average defense and average offense.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you would rather have a replacement level player with good defense than one that is significantly more valuable than the average major leaguer?

Sam18
I don't understand all the love for Michaels when most of us have hardly watched him play in many games?

Stats tell us he's better than Damon at this point.

ojo
my envisioned 2006 daily lineup...

damon, cf (l)
jeter, ss (r)
giambi, 1b (l)
arod, 3b (r)
matsui, lf (l)
sheffield, dh (r)
cano, 2b (l)
posada, c (s)
crosby, rf (l)

ICEBERG18
Buster i look like the husband that died on Desperate Housewives Olney is coming up on ESPNEWS.

ESPN is jumping up and down, they now have their lead story for the next 2 weeks. :D

gdn
Why does everyone care about the money like its yours or something?

Either you like the move or you don't.Read my posts. I'm not enthralled by this move.

Also, I don't play on the field. Why should I care?

The amount of money spent by the Yankees (even though it isn't my own) does affect the overall makeup of the team this year and in the future. So if I care about the team, I care about HOW it spends its money.

Johnny O
Seriously? This is money that can be spent on others. There is a reason why Cano and Wang are so precious, they allow other studs to be signed, because they are under control, and cheap.

Money, and more importantly years cannot NOT be in the equation of a FA signing.

Exactly. For those who are pro-Damon, please go look at his career stats and try to justify this insane contract.

deranged2005
12-20-05, 10:22 PM
Poor Melky Cabrera.....

noneckwilliams
gdn has it right. Damon's arm is very bad when he's healthy. He hurt his shoulder some time in the second have and was throwing so bad that he mad Bernie look like 1979 Dave Winfield. Did you watch those Boston infielders running 50 feet into the outfield to get his "throws"?

His range isn't what it once was, either. And on top of that, looking at the stats at espn, you find that he had a crappy half season 3 out of the last 4 years. Only in 2004 was he good both halves.

What will be the reaction if he has a crappy first half in 2006? He'll be crucified.

Some people are going to be awfully disappointed by this bozo's performance.

Sam18
Anyone got Damon's defensive stats for 05'?

wileedog
People need to stop overracting ... it's not that bad of a deal, and it's not like he will be the CF the whole contract.

You are going to put his arm and declining numbers in a corner spot?

chanman7483
Umm no. The only thing Damon can be said to bring to the table at this point is his offense, which adds to an already potent offense. Our problems last year were with defense in CF (remember Bubba/Sheff?). The offense was NOT a problem. If we were to add a CF, I'd have preferred one with above-average defense and average offense.

Damon's RF was 3rd in the league last year.

bronxbomberz212
12-20-05, 10:23 PM
didn't mr. caveman talk about a-rod last season or say something about him in his book. i could've sworn he made a comment. just when this team seems like it's going in the right direction it goes and does something completely retarded. i can't believe this. so let's refuse to give up prospects cuz we want to get younger and give the boys a chance, let's focus on getting better defensively, let's lower the payroll, oh yeah... this move reeks of the exact opposite principals than that of which i just posted. what a sin.

RhodeyYankee2638
Stats tell us he's better than Damon at this point.

Next time I see a player I want, I do not want anyone bitching at me that I can't use their stats cause they only play 70 games a year in a bandbox

JapanJobbers
I'd rather it had been 3 years, but Damon was the best player they could put out there.
The Michael's rumors might have just been rumors, we have no idea and Reed wasn't getting traded for Pavano after the M's signed Washburn. They couldn't add more salary.

gdn
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you would rather have a replacement level player with good defense than one that is significantly more valuable than the average major leaguer?

There are a lot of things that go into my decision not to like this signing:

1. Damon's age
2. His range
3. His arm
4. His defense
5. His offense
6. The Yankees offense w/o Damon last year.
7. The Yankees defense w/o Damon last year.

I'm don't like 2,3,4,7.

His signing brings only 5 to the table. 6 was good enough without him. I'd rather we fixed 7. This doesn't fix 7.

Ergo, I don't like this signing as much as others do.

Yankee Bulldawg
this is a shocker defenitley, i dunno wether to be excited or disappointed by this

yanksphan
Exactly. For those who are pro-Damon, please go look at his career stats and try to justify this insane contract.

No kidding. We should have traded Wang, Cano, Duncan and Hughes for Torii Webgem Hunter

MM7

Who the hell are you going to spend it on? There is nobody left out there. He will be awesome for four years!
Move Jeter to the two hole. He'll drive the opposition crazy. Will show occasional power (remember the playoffs?) and he will give the Yanks what they need :speed! Throwing is so over-rated!

38Special
Because you can only lose picks that you originally possessed.

We lost our 28th pick because of Farnsworth. We then gained the 21st pick from Gordon. With Damon we lose the 2nd round pick to the Braves as the Red Sox take the 28th. However we still have Bernie out there, who if unsigned by us...would get us either a 1st or 2nd rounder depending on who signs him.

We also get a pick in the supplemental round between the 1st and 2nd rounds.

tmanf
This contract does block us from signing anyone else....like Roger Clemens....

That is a lot of money....

ALR83
Another 4 years of everyone and their mother going 1st to 3rd on every hit....

:eek:

Oy. I have a headache now. Oh this blows.

F*CK.

Basically yeah.

Panamaniac42
12-20-05, 10:24 PM

Aw come on man...Adam Stern was only a 4th OFer based on lack of opportunity in Boston.

Bubba Crosby was only a 4th OFer based on lack of opportunity in New York.

Damon Hollins was only a 4th OFer based on lack of opportunity in Tampa.

........sorry, I don't like handing 30 year old 4th of'ers CF at the Stadium.

Yankees1962
I don't disagree.

I hope Cashman enjoyed his 5 whole weeks at the helm, because it looks like the Cashman era is over. :lol:
Cashman has always stated that Steinbrenner runs the ship, but that doesn't mean that Cashman's era of being head of baseball operations is over.

Sam18
This is only a four year deal. We should get at least 3 good years out of him. It's not like their were many options out there folks. Crosby isn't a better outfielder than Damon by any means. I hated this guy with the Red Sux. But let's face it, he makes our team better. And it's not for the Boras 7 years. Who else was gonna play centerfield for the next 3 years. Hopefully Melky is ready by the time JD is done with.

The thing is that there was a better option avilable.

Yanks21

The Phillies have been looking for a center fielder for the last couple of years. Michaels was given plenty of opportunity to be the guy, but never seized it...

NYYBombshell
this offense will be pretty sick

WE DIDN'T NEED MORE OFFENSE!

We needed defense, which Damon does not have a stranglehold on.

nhyankeefan

We keep the Phillies pick and lose ours.

Yankees1962
12-20-05, 10:25 PM

That's the good news. We don't need another 44 year old pitcher.

Yankeeah
didn't mr. caveman talk about a-rod last season or say something about him in his book. i could've sworn he made a comment. just when this team seems like it's going in the right direction it goes and does something completely retarded. i can't believe this. so let's refuse to give up prospects cuz we want to get younger and give the boys a chance, let's focus on getting better defensively, let's lower the payroll, oh yeah... this move reeks of the exact opposite principals than that of which i just posted. what a sin.

He did make an A-Rod comment, and to be fair, he was probably baited into it. But he apologized to A-Rod

Evil Empire

damon, cf (l)
jeter, ss (r)
giambi, 1b (l)
arod, 3b (r)
matsui, lf (l)
sheffield, dh (r)
cano, 2b (l)
posada, c (s)
crosby, rf (l)

That's what I want to see. Or Melky in RF, if he can field. At least Melky can hit.

Sam18
Aw come on man...Adam Stern was only a 4th OFer based on lack of opportunity in Boston.

Why don't you actually look at the stats before making smartass comments like that.

RhodeyYankee2638

Have you seen the two past postseasons, our offense is unbalanced

Panamaniac42
The thing is that there was a better option avilable.

And that better option would be?

Let me guess, Jason Michaels ...

goin for 27
There are a lot of things that go into my decision not to like this signing:

1. Damon's age
2. His range
3. His arm
4. His defense
5. His offense
6. The Yankees offense w/o Damon last year.
7. The Yankees defense w/o Damon last year.

I'm don't like 2,3,4,7.

His signing brings only 5 to the table. 6 was good enough without him. I'd rather we fixed 7. This doesn't fix 7.

Ergo, I don't like this signing as much as others do.

Too harsh. He still has range, and he really helps #7. Some don't realize just how bad Bernie was last year. Damon right now is like Willie Mays compared to Bernie.

nycdoc999
Blocks young prospects?!?!

WHO?!?!?

Melky Cabrera???

He's clearly not ready - not this coming year, not likely in 2007 either. He's 21 YEARS OLD?! Ya think he can't wait until he's 24 to play in the bigs? And if he is ready for 2007 - SHeff is DONE and Melky slides over to RF and starts there....

OTher than Melky, who exactly are we blocking? Bubba? Kevin Thompson?

PLEASE!

We don't have any can't miss OF prospects that are projected to hit the bigs outside of Melky (and he's debatable) in the next 2-3 years....

THAT'S part of the problem, and the reason Damon is here in the first place....

Again - I would have preferred 3y $40-45M, as would have everyone else - but it definitely makes us a better team for 2006 and 2007. Beyond that - we'll have to see.

NO WAY we were getting Jason Michaels for that bozo Sturtze +/- Henn. That's the same BS as the Juan Pierre rumor. And if Damon had signed with the Sox, the price for Jeremy Reed would have been WANG + a prospect - they're not taking on Pavano's $10M/y now that they've signed Washburn to that stupid contract and are still talking to Millwood. And Wang + Henn for Reed - that's something Cash was unwilling to do - you don't trade young pitchers for outfielders. Especially 25yo 93MPH-throwin pitchers with ice in their veins who have been successful at the major league level.

Guys - don't you think if Cash could do Pavano for Reed he would have done it? He's no fool - that just wasn't happening.

We kept our good young prospects, have a surplus of pitching we can trade to fill the DH hole, and have ourselves a leadoff hitter. The defensive liability remains, however. Nothing's perfect....

AMYanks

I thought you meant the #21 pick, since that is technically "our" pick now.

Evil Empire

I'm assuming we'll score 35.6237289363 runs a game. Therefore, no matter Damon's, or anyone's defense, we'll be fine.

I Love Wang
12-20-05, 10:26 PM

You are wrong.

We needed a CFer that would produce at a positive margin. We got one. Unfortunately, we paid $52 million for about $5 million worth of production.

Panamaniac42

Didn't you just love those games where we'd get to see Ruben, Bernie, Tino, and Flaherty all in the lineup at once?

lem

We need more runs for and fewer runs against.

This is what Damon provides.

Sam18

A better offensive and defensive player was there for the taking and we blew it.

Jasbro
See ya, Bubba. Now it's time to get a 4th OF with a bat, preferably a lefty bat.

dkman
12-20-05, 10:27 PM
Heres why I like this:

The Yankees had a hole in centerfield. Damon was the best free agent out there. He can hit and steal bases. We didn't have to give up any prospects or good players to get him either. This deal is for 4 years, not 8. This isn't so much a help to the Yankees, as it is a huge loss for the Sox. Damon is not a jerk and might even help to loosen up the clubhouse. Our only hole in the lineup is now at DH really and that will be filled by giving days off to various players. And now, the Yankees don't have a hole in centerfield.

161 and River Ave.
Can I ask why people are making such a big deal about the money in the contract. SINCE WHEN DOES MONEY MATTER FOR THE YANKEES?! We aren't the Royals or A's. We dont have to worry about limits here. The only thing that matters is the length. It's only 4 years. We have him until he is 35. NOT 40. Who was gonna play CF in 06,07,08 and 09? Crosby? Cabrera (Who isn't anywhere near MLB level), trade for Torii Hunter? Trade for Andruw Jones? I hated this guy with Boston, but he makes our team much better for the next 3 years

PeteRFNY

Way too many streaky batters in the lineup, agreed. Again, don't see this as the end of the world it's being painted as.

RhodeyYankee2638
Didn't you just love those games where we'd get to see Ruben, Bernie, Tino, and Flaherty all in the lineup at once?

Yeah those were fun. We are now 7 hitters deep, 8 if Posada pulls it together

RIYankeeFan

damon, cf (l)
jeter, ss (r)
giambi, 1b (l)
arod, 3b (r)
matsui, lf (l)
sheffield, dh (r)
cano, 2b (l)
posada, c (s)
crosby, rf (l)

I totally agree. I think Crosby will be in the field with Sheff @ DH.

NYYBombshell

The offense can be fixed by fixing the lineup. Too top heavy and practically non-existant on the backend is not getting us anywhere.

We needed CF defense and Johnny is not the round peg to fill that hole. Michaels or Reed would have been better.

Sam18
And that better option would be?

Let me guess, Jason Michaels ...

No sh*t Sherlock! I know you think Michaels sucks but wait till you see Damon fu*k up fly balls at YS.

swityak11
Yay. $13 million. Another unmovable contract. I'm thrilled.

I wanted Reed so much more than this monstrosity.

gk1272
12-20-05, 10:28 PM
Bruce Beck reporting Yanks fans happy with this "great" move...

He might be high...

27IsNext
First, he is no longer defensively, and will only get worse. He has the worst CF arm in baseball, and his range isn't what it was back in the day. To make matters worse, we are paying him $52 million for his decline years. By the time that contract runs out, that range is going to be even worse. We are going to have Bernie the Sequal, except with an even worse arm. Hopefully one of the young guns down in the farm are ready before that contract runs its course, and we trade him. (And we better NOT have given him a no-trade clause.) Offensively, I doubt he ever gets as bad as Bernie was for us, but there's no garuntee of that.

I would've been okay with this if it were a two-year deal, and if it were a three-year deal, I would have grudgingly approved. But this is too many years for too much money. I hope we have a plan to keep Posada's option from triggering, because otherwise our 2007 payroll is gonna suck.

161 and River Ave.
A better offensive and defensive player was there for the taking and we blew it.

Who was that?

gdn
Blocks young prospects?!?!

WHO?!?!?

Melky Cabrera???

He's clearly not ready - not this coming year, not likely in 2007 either. He's 21 YEARS OLD?! Ya think he can't wait until he's 24 to play in the bigs? And if he is ready for 2007 - SHeff is DONE and Melky slides over to RF and starts there....

OTher than Melky, who exactly are we blocking? Bubba? Kevin Thompson?

PLEASE!

We don't have any can't miss OF prospects that are projected to hit the bigs outside of Melky (and he's debatable) in the next 2-3 years....

THAT'S part of the problem, and the reason Damon is here in the first place....

Again - I would have preferred 3y $40-45M, as would have everyone else - but it definitely makes us a better team for 2006 and 2007. Beyond that - we'll have to see.

NO WAY we were getting Jason Michaels for that bozo Sturtze +/- Henn. That's the same BS as the Juan Pierre rumor. And if Damon had signed with the Sox, the price for Jeremy Reed would have been WANG + a prospect - they're not taking on Pavano's $10M/y now that they've signed Washburn to that stupid contract and are still talking to Millwood. And Wang + Henn for Reed - that's something Cash was unwilling to do - you don't trade young pitchers for outfielders. Especially 25yo 93MPH-throwin pitchers with ice in their veins who have been successful at the major league level.

Guys - don't you think if Cash could do Pavano for Reed he would have done it? He's no fool - that just wasn't happening.

We kept our good young prospects, have a surplus of pitching we can trade to fill the DH hole, and have ourselves a leadoff hitter. The defensive liability remains, however. Nothing's perfect....

A. You don't seem to be following the minors closely or you wouldn't have typed that first paragraph.

B. News reports up until this afternoon said the Ms were in the marked for another SP despite Washburn and Boston would deal Clement for Reed. So Pavano for Reed was plausible. In fact, it seemed that Cashman was holding out for more.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua

Not if the Yankees trade off Pavano to LA for prospects. The Dodgers were listed among a group of teams that asked about Pavano. And LA isn't afraid to spend money. I'd keep an eye on that development. Someone is gonna have to go from the pitching staff.

I Love Wang

Well, since Panamaniac hasn't heard of Jason Michaels, he doesn't count.

Jasbro

Only if they have not yet surgically removed Bubba from Shef's back.

There now remains no reason to carry Bubba on this team.

True Yankee-ette13
12-20-05, 10:29 PM
Wow. I get outta the shower and I hear this. WTF.

Anywho, I wanted no part of Damon, BUT he is a great hitter and Jeter leading off just doesn't do it for me. We'll learn to deal with it, people.

tmanf
12-20-05, 10:29 PM
What will happen now: the Red Sox will aquire Michaels in some one-sided trade with the Phillies.

Damon's price was too high. I would have rather had Bubba considering the money gap.

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 10:30 PM

Who? Better offensivley than Damon that was available.

noneckwilliams
Yay. $13 million. Another unmovable contract. I'm thrilled.

I wanted Reed so much more than this monstrosity.

It's sad - they keep making the same mistake over and over again.

Sam18
Bruce Beck reporting Yanks fans happy with this "great" move...

He might be high...

There's a lot of misguided Yankee fans out there. Beck is right.

nyyanksfan20
Only if they have not yet surgically removed Bubba from Shef's back.

There now remains no reason to carry Bubba on this team.

I agree if anything if George has some pennies left over go ahead and sign Encarnation and DH Sheff that way.

Jasbro
What will happen now: the Red Sox will aquire Michaels in some one-sided trade with the Phillies.

Damon's price was too high. I would have rather had Bubba considering the money gap.

I am just glad it did not cost us any bodies. Money is easy.

bigguygonz
They just annouces it on ESPN during a bowl game!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

hlrjr
This is a bulls***t deal.

NYYBombshell
My dad is laughing at us [the Yankees] right now. He has good reason to do it.

yanksphan
12-20-05, 10:31 PM
A. You don't seem to be following the minors closely or you wouldn't have typed that first paragraph.

B. News reports up until this afternoon said the Ms were in the marked for another SP despite Washburn and Boston would deal Clement for Reed. So Pavano for Reed was plausible. In fact, it seemed that Cashman was holding out for more.

You really think the M's would take 3 years of Pavano over 2 years of Clement for Reed? They countered with Arroyo for Reed - clearly, Clement cost too much - which makes Pavano (+1 year) ridiculously expensive.

Put down the Kool-Aid. We never had a shot at Reed unless Wang's name was brought up.

True Yankee-ette13

I really disagree with this. People forget that the offense really failed us in the end.

Sam18
Who was that?

Who? Better offensivley than Damon that was available.

Incase you missed it the first hundred times, here it is again: Jason Michaels!!

Evil Empire
No sh*t Sherlock! I know you think Michaels sucks but wait till you see Damon fu*k up fly balls at YS.

Who is Jason Michaels?

Johnny O
No kidding. We should have traded Wang, Cano, Duncan and Hughes for Torii Webgem Hunter

Absolutely brilliant. Hunter was only an option for those shortsighted enough to not understand there were cheaper alternatives.

Look at Damon's career stats and try to justify the contract, that was my original post.

Crusadecat
I would have loved this as a 1 or 2 year deal but that wasn't happening , Damon will add some baserunning dimension to the top of the lineup which could lead to the Yankees creating some runs rather than always wait for the big jack. Damon has alot better range than Bernie , Like someone else stated too , Melky may be ready by the time Damon totally falls apart so this could really be a difference maker for the Yankees.

goin for 27

Bubba will not starte regularly for the New York Yankees. Ever. He is an inferior player.

YankeeFan1
What a sucky night. Damon signing as a Yankee and the Carver on Nip/Tuck was a major letdown.

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 10:32 PM
Incase you missed it the first hundred times, here it is again: Jason Michaels!!

Certainly you jest.

gdn
12-20-05, 10:32 PM
You really think the M's would take 3 years of Pavano over 2 years of Clement for Reed? They countered with Arroyo for Reed - clearly, Clement cost too much - which makes Pavano (+1 year) ridiculously expensive.

Put down the Kool-Aid. We never had a shot at Reed unless Wang's name was brought up.Kool-Aid? Are you implying that I can't think for myself? I suggest keeping the argument to the issues here....

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 10:33 PM
Who is Jason Michaels?

The Phillies version of Kevin Thompson

NYYBombshell
I really disagree with this. People forget that the offense really failed us in the end.

I said we didn't need any more. The offense we have is just fine. When it works, it's great, and when it doesn't, it sucks but that's not the point. Just because it didn't work last season doesn't mean we need to spend $52 million dollars on MORE offense when it's defense we really needed.

That makes this a sh*t deal. Michaels or Reed would have filled the hole we needed without giving us another bloated contract weighing us down.

nycdoc999
Uh -

Wanna fill me in on the name of a prospect in our system ABOVE SINGLE A who projects to be a starting CF in 2007?

As for the Pavano for Reed argument - it's all hearsay. Reed's price most certainly would have gone up as soon as Damon signed. And, Rotoworld reported numerous times that the Mariners PREFERRED Arroyo to Clement, b/c of the money, the same way the preferred Wang to Pavano....

JDPNYY
My first post of this Thread.

I wanted no part of Johnny Damon on the Yankees.

Johnny Damon is a Yankee.

I will root my ass off that he'll be a stellar Yankee and that he'll get himself a few World Series rings.

sigh.

ICEBERG18
Does anyone else want Erubiel Durazo besides me? A healthy Erubiel Durazo to this lineup in Yankees Stadium= :drool: .

Tino55

A lot better than what we had!

Mopar Larry
Heres why I like this:

The Yankees had a hole in centerfield. Damon was the best free agent out there. He can hit and steal bases. We didn't have to give up any prospects or good players to get him either. This deal is for 4 years, not 8. This isn't so much a help to the Yankees, as it is a huge loss for the Sox. Damon is not a jerk and might even help to loosen up the clubhouse. Our only hole in the lineup is now at DH really and that will be filled by giving days off to various players. And now, the Yankees don't have a hole in centerfield.

I agree with all of the above, plus it will be fun to hear all the Sox fans at work whine tomorrow. My question to you all is, should he cut his hair and shave? I say no and here's why. Johnson cuts the mullet, and sudden it's like Samson and Delilah. I say less concerntration on grooming and more on playing from the front office.

unless he shows up with cornrows... :D

Panamaniac42
Well, since Panamaniac hasn't heard of Jason Michaels, he doesn't count.

Oh, I've heard of him. And I've heard of him not seizing his opportunities in Philly.

Sorry everyone for not getting excited over this 30 year old "kid"!!

Goodnight, the panic on this board is insane.

ps I don't hate Michaels - I'd actually like to have him - AS OUR FOURTH OF'er.

Sam18
Certainly you jest.

No I don't.

StatenIslandYankee
GOOD GOD people this move is not as bad as you make it out to be. Can't we just accept that he's here, welcome him in and hope he brings us a ring?

yanksphan
12-20-05, 10:34 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Hunter was only an option for those shortsighted enough to not understand there were cheaper alternatives.

Look at Damon's career stats and try to justify the contract, that was my original post.

When your #1 rival is also in the hunt for a CF in a slim market - that's the choice - trade away youth, or overpay a FA. I'm not thrilled about the money, but I'm thrilled that Robby is still at 2B, and Wang is still in the rotation.

ABQyankfan
Way to go! Howard making $500M/5 years for Sirius-- now that's paying too much for an over the hill guy. Damon = great move, Yanks.

goin for 27

No, Damon still has range, and goes back on balls well, he will not screw up fly balls, that is just ridiculous.

StatenIslandYankee
12-20-05, 10:35 PM
Does anyone else want Erubiel Durazo besides me? A healthy Erubiel Durazo to this lineup in Yankees Stadium= :drool: .
YES I DO!!! :D

Damon, Jeter, Rodriguez, Sheffield, Durazo, Matsui, Giambi, Cano, Posada = DEAR GOD HELP ANY PITCHING STAFF

Yankees1962
How do you know that Michaels won't mess up fly balls in YS?

bam0213nyc
Wow..great signing Brian i like this deal alot...makes me happy to know damon is center for four years. Now lets package wright and cabrera in a deal for a pitcher in the pen and a 1b/dh?

Johnny O

Go take a look at Michaels career numbers and compare to your weak examples. I guess I should have also added the lack of imagination of the Phils as a reason why he wasn't given the opportunity, and maybe why you can't see past the ridiculous "4th OFer" label.

Luis Gonzalez was considered a 4th OFer for years. David Ortiz was DFAed. Be a little creative.

RhodeyYankee2638

He would complete a sick lineup

MaDR
I dont understand would so many of you are upset about this.

You cannot go wrong with this:

Damon
Jeter
Giambi
ARod
Sheffield
Matsui
Posada
Cano
Bernie

VS

Loretta
Ortiz
Manny
Varitek
Nixon
Lowell
(Fill in SS here)
(Fill in CF here)
(Fill in 1B here)

yanksphan
Kool-Aid? Are you implying that I can't think for myself? I suggest keeping the argument to the issues here....

There was plenty of substance in the first part of my post which you ignored.

Sorry if my Kool-Aid comment got you flustered.

161 and River Ave.

I dont know how to respond to that

Panamaniac42

except 3.5 years older.

Evil Empire
No I don't.

Yes, his fourth outfielderdom proves his prowess.

RhodeyYankee2638
Go take a look at Michaels career numbers and compare to your weak examples. I guess I should have also added the lack of imagination of the Phils as a reason why he wasn't given the opportunity, and maybe why you can't see past the ridiculous "4th OFer" label.

Luis Gonzalez was considered a 4th OFer for years. David Ortiz was DFAed. Be a little creative.

Why not give Kevin Thompson a shot instead of this guy

AMYanks
What a sucky night. Damon signing as a Yankee and the Carver on Nip/Tuck was a major letdown.

Who was the carver?

keithf1
Guys, stop putting Jorge above Cano in these projected lineups.

chanman7483
The offense can be fixed by fixing the lineup. Too top heavy and practically non-existant on the backend is not getting us anywhere.

We needed CF defense and Johnny is not the round peg to fill that hole. Michaels or Reed would have been better.

Damon was 3rd in the league in RF. 2 Spots behind Reed.

Reed/Michaels were not going to come cheap. Just b/c Boston was going to give up Clement for Reed(reportedly), doesn't mean NY coudl've gotten away w/ Pavano.. remember the "NY Tax"? I mean that in terms of giving up a sh*tload more than we should have to just b/c the Yanks are the YAnks.

Those 2 guys would've cost Cano/Wang + $$/more prospects

yanksphan
12-20-05, 10:36 PM
How do you know that Michaels won't mess up fly balls in YS?

Because he's not Johnny Damon! ;)

gdn
Battle, Tierce, Melky.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua

Not sure about him, he's always reminded me of a Tyranasaurus Rex, with his freakishly small arms. He'll come cheap, no doubt. I still have a hard time seeing Andy Phillips as an everyday DH or 1B. I think the Yankees have one more move in them to trade off a pitcher or 2 for another outfielder (rightfield and move Sheff to DH) or for a DH who can play 1B as well.

iodon
Wow, this is a terrible signing. All of the talk about the new Cashman regime being different than the ways of the last four years is complete BS. WAY TO MUCH MONEY FOR DAMON. I don't care what our payroll is, but I do care that this signing will limit our flexibility in year 3 when Damon begins to look like Bernie.

I'm disgusted, but I will root for him becuase he wears the uniform.

I Love Wang

Try and research your posts a little instead of just saying things that don't make sense. Thompson put up a .249/.335/.359 line in AAA last year. Michaels has a .380 OBP career in the majors, .399 last year. What exactly is it that you see as similar between Thompson and Michaels?

23and2
12-20-05, 10:37 PM
Umm, he makes us better people. Good get.. I don't care about the money.

The Yankees are a better team today than they were yesterday.

Vin
Let us all take a moment of silence in thanking or disliking Darth Steinbrenner and Lord Cashman for this move.

RhodeyYankee2638
And if you GM's wanna get creative, lets trade for Michaels still, and make Sheff DH!!!11!!!!

Johnny O
When your #1 rival is also in the hunt for a CF in a slim market - that's the choice - trade away youth, or overpay a FA. I'm not thrilled about the money, but I'm thrilled that Robby is still at 2B, and Wang is still in the rotation.

Why do you assume that Cano or Wang were tied into a CF upgrade?

Panamaniac42

Well isn't that just brilliant.

"Wait till you see Damon fu*k up fly balls at YS."

Jason Michaels = Gold Glove eh?

swityak11
GOOD GOD people this move is not as bad as you make it out to be. Can't we just accept that he's here, welcome him in and hope he brings us a ring?I welcome him here and hope he brings us a ring.

I still hate this deal though.

DiMaggio5CF
Well whether or not you like the Damon deal, I think we can all agree that Cashman totally screwed up by letting Chris Hammond sign with the Reds.

MiamiKat
Wow. I get outta the shower and I hear this. WTF.

Anywho, I wanted no part of Damon, BUT he is a great hitter and Jeter leading off just doesn't do it for me. We'll learn to deal with it, people.
Thing is, by just about every relevant stat, Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon.

I Love Wang

Reed/Michaels were not going to come cheap. Just b/c Boston was going to give up Clement for Reed(reportedly), doesn't mean NY coudl've gotten away w/ Pavano.. remember the "NY Tax"? I mean that in terms of giving up a sh*tload more than we should have to just b/c the Yanks are the YAnks.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Seattle OFFERED Reed for Pavano. That was THEIR idea. And Michaels talks were centered around Tanyon Sturtze. Cano or Wang were never an option for either.

RIYankeeFan
12-20-05, 10:38 PM
Now if Boston wants Reed, they have to give up Brandon Arroyo. Nomar, Pedro, Damon... I feel bad for the people in New England who name their pets after Red Sox players lol.

No matter how much you hate this signing, you know you're gonna be smiling when he knocks in a HR against the Sox. :D

Yankees1962
Because he's not Johnny Damon! ;)
What's funny is Michaels is only two years younger than Damon and we still don't know for certain whether he's a full-time player.

yanksphan

Bingo Chaman. Boston OFFERED Clement - Seattle asked for Arroyo instead. Money was an issue for the M's. No way they take 3/30 Pavano when they don't even want 2/18 Clement. Wang would have been the starting point.

JapanJobbers

I don't think he is completey healthy yet.

Yankees13
Wow, this reminds me of the A-Rod trade, sudden and shocking. I don't think it's a good move, but I don't think it's a crippling move. Either way, welcome Johnny.

I Love Wang

Because he doesn't know enough about the team to know any of our other tradable assets.

JDPNYY

Choi.

bigguygonz
Can we still laugh at him whenever he throws the ball?

lem
I like how a Bo Donaldson thread is considered similar to this one

English Yankee
I'm happy with this. Not the best defensively, but good enough. And only $52 million/4 years too. Welcome aboard, but get a haircut. And shave. And do, you know, really really well so that we really like you.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 10:39 PM
Try and research your posts a little instead of just saying things that don't make sense. Thompson put up a .249/.335/.359 line in AAA last year. Michaels has a .380 OBP career in the majors, .399 last year. What exactly is it that you see as similar between Thompson and Michaels?

Johnny had a .366 OBP last year, and is only 2 years older than Michaels, so its not that much of a difference

yanksphan

b/c that's what every team began their "negotiations" with.

ICEBERG18
Not sure about him, he's always reminded me of a Tyranasaurus Rex, with his freakishly small arms. He'll come cheap, no doubt. I still have a hard time seeing Andy Phillips as an everyday DH or 1B. I think the Yankees have one more move in them to trade off a pitcher or 2 for another outfielder (rightfield and move Sheff to DH) or for a DH who can play 1B as well.

-2004 SEASON-
.301/.380/.603-Ortiz
.311/.410/.583-Hafner
.321/.396/.523-Durazo

JapanJobbers
You have no idea what you're talking about. Seattle OFFERED Reed for Pavano. That was THEIR idea. And Michaels talks were centered around Tanyon Sturtze. Cano or Wang were never an option for either.

We don't know that Seattle offered that. It was reported, but that doesn't mean it was true. Once they signed Washburn, they would not have done it.

CyYoung4Vazquez
12-20-05, 10:40 PM
I don't dislike the move. It's just going to be strange. I've been ripping on this guy for years. Although he seems to be a guy that will thrive in New York. Definitely a good personality, and I do like making Red Sox fans cry.

Bernie Inferno

I agree. The contract sucks, but Boston is with a hole. We still have WaNo. Johnny, you better get us #27...

I Love Wang
Johnny had a .366 OBP last year, and is only 2 years older than Michaels, so its not that much of a difference

Damon's OBP was 33 points lower than Michaels, and he took a 50+ million dollar deal. Michaels, who would have cost somewhere around Sturtze/Henn and a his million dollar salary is a HUGE difference.

And furthermore, what the hell does that have to do with Kevin Thompson?

yanksphan
You have no idea what you're talking about. Seattle OFFERED Reed for Pavano. That was THEIR idea.

That was never confirmed.

WebsterMulligan
Was'nt Damon quoted as saying he would retire, rather than play with the Yankees?

I can live with this deal. It's not my money. The Yankee outfield just got much better. Plus he adds some offensive punch.

bigguygonz
Can YES televise him getting a haircut and shave in a south boston barber shop?

ring403

You can dislike this signing for a variety of reasons, but Damon's defensive skill isn't one of them.

Yankees1962
Just because some newspaper reported it, doesn't make it true or that simple.

gdn
You have no idea what you're talking about. Seattle OFFERED Reed for Pavano. That was THEIR idea. And Michaels talks were centered around Tanyon Sturtze. Cano or Wang were never an option for either.Hey! Whaddya know! I agree with you!

JDPNYY
Can we still laugh at him whenever he throws the ball?

Don't throw it Johnny... Run it in.

At least Manny won't be out there intercepting the throws on Johnny.

Dooley Womack
I am so elated that I'm jumping out of my skin. I cannot understand how anyone can be disappointed with a player who has a .353 career OBP, (.366 last year) has great speed to cover the gap and knows how to play the game defensively, compensating for a so-so arm.

Comparing him to Bernie's decline is nonsense. Bernie was fighting injuries the past few years while Damon is as strong as a bull and will give us 162 healthy games per year.

What was the alternative? CROSBY? An unproven Michael? Damon and Jeter setting the table as 1-2 is one of the best the game will ever see. I cannot thinkl of a better 1-6 in baseball.

Cashman/George- THANK YOU!

Tifoso
12-20-05, 10:41 PM

Bingo :)

And I do think that this trade makes the Yanks the class of the league (when taken together with the pen help)

Evil Empire
I am so elated that I'm jumping out of my skin. I cannot understand how anyone can be disappointed with a player who has a .353 career OBP, (.366 last year) has great speed to cover the gap and knows how to play the game defensively, compensating for a so-so arm.

Comparing him to Bernie's decline is nonsense. Bernie was fighting injuries the past few years while Damon is as strong as a bull and will give us 162 healthy games per year.

What was the alternative? CROSBY? An unproven Michael? Damon and Jeter setting the table as 1-2 is one of the best the game will ever see. I cannot thinkl of a better 1-6 in baseball.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLS! Welcome back man! :)

Panamaniac42

Yes, and Aaron Small was a journeyman about to retire and went 10-0 for the Yankees in 2005.

"being a little creative" has nothing to do with PULLING A HORSESHOE OUT OF YOUR ASS.

David Ortiz rode the pine in favor of JEREMY F*CKING GIAMBI...Boston got lucky with the way things turned out, kudos to them.

NYYBombshell

Look who came back.

nhyankeefan

So your point is that a 29 year old had a good year in AAA and that means he should be the next Yankee CF?

Dooley Womack
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLS! Welcome back man! :)

Thank you, brother! :)

scooterfan
guys -

this deal does NOT take Michaels off the table

Think about this - the Phillies need relief pitching. We do not need a centerfielder... but if we get Michaels, we move Damon to RF, and Sheff to DH

That works for me...

I Love Wang
You can dislike this signing for a variety of reasons, but Damon's defensive skill isn't one of them.

Actually, it is. His ZR was 15th out of 20 qualified ML CFers last year. I dislike that.

VanHalen5150
12-20-05, 10:42 PM
The Red Sox did offer arbitration to Damon, so I think the Yankees do in fact lose their first round pick.

RhodeyYankee2638
Damon's OBP was 33 points lower than Michaels, and he took a 50+ million dollar deal. Michaels, who would have cost somewhere around Sturtze/Henn and a his million dollar salary is a HUGE difference.

Michaels, in 5 major league seasons has played 300 games. We don't know how he would do in a full season. If they still want Sturtze and Henn, then why can't we still do it? We have 2 extra pitchers now right????????

Panamaniac42

a...men

Captain Yankee
I can't knock this signing. 4 years is pretty reasonable. The money seems kind of high....but I love the fact that Boston is left with a HUGE hole in their lineup and in centerfield. I absolutely love it!

Dooley Womack
Look who came back.

Is that a good thing or bad? Does it have the impact as the Damon signing has with you? :P

Yankees1962
guys -

Think about this - the Phillies need relief pitching. We do not need a centerfielder... but if we get Michaels, we move Damon to RF, and Sheff to DH

That works for me...
Damon's not playing RF with his arm!

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
Now if Boston wants Reed, they have to give up Brandon Arroyo. Nomar, Pedro, Damon... I feel bad for the people in New England who name their pets after Red Sox players lol.

No matter how much you hate this signing, you know you're gonna be smiling when he knocks in a HR against the Sox. :D

I think it's fairly clear that the Sox management are breaking that team apart. It's a matter of time before they trade off Manny because he will be unbearable there for Francona with the rest of the group around him going by the wasteside. The question will be, is this new group that is in place there smart enough to build the team with players who fit a system and had the right "chemistry" or will they try to get too cute and send them into a tailspin. Call it the Curse of Dave Roberts, trading off a good player who fit a role there and would have kept the good feelings going, only to start bringing in mistakes like Jay Payton and Edgar Renteria.

True Yankee-ette13
I'm not thrilled, but why exactly are so many people completely freaking out over this? :dunno:

We could always use more guys with BA's like Damon's.

I Love Wang
So your point is that a 29 year old had a good year in AAA and that means he should be the next Yankee CF?

My point is that a 29 year old who had a good year in the MAJORS, which is what i SAID, if you chose to READ it, and is a superior fielder to Damon, would have been a vastly superior choice.

WebsterMulligan

Dooley, Is Ca$hman growing on you these days? ;)

Clive

Cashman/George- THANK YOU!http://www.darilsheid.com/images/wb.gif

NYYBombshell
12-20-05, 10:43 PM
Is that a good thing or bad? Does it have the impact as the Damon signing has with you? :P

You coming back doesn't cause bile to rise in my throat, so no....it doesn't have the same impact.

lem
From henceforth I dub Johnny Damon the Pat Verbeek of baseball

I Love Wang
Michaels, in 5 major league seasons has played 300 games. We don't know how he would do in a full season. If they still want Sturtze and Henn, then why can't we still do it? We have 2 extra pitchers now right????????

But now we have a $52 million dollar contract tied up in Johnny Damon, who I didn't want at all. This didn't need to happen.

161 and River Ave.
Just so everyone knows, the Red Sox, according to Olney and ESPNews, offered Damon 4 years at 40 million. We offered him about 3 more million per. Anywho, Johnny Damon makes this team better at manufacturing runs. SOMETHING WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH IN A LONG TIME. And frankly, he is practically the same CF Bernie Williams was in terms of range from 1999-2001. We went to the WS all 3 years. Carry on folks...

NHYank
Give Cashman credit. He got Damon for a 4 year deal. Sheffield is gone next year and if our prospects are ready they will replaced Sheffield and move Damon over. It creates a problem for the Redsox in that they now have to give up pitching for of er and they must find a leadoff hitter.

Zimmers' Helmet
12-20-05, 10:44 PM
This is not a good signing, but it's a necessary one.
It fills a huge void in CF, and provides some badly needed balance to the lineup.

For $3 million a year more, wouldn't the Yankees have been better off signing Beltran who's also 5 years younger? ;)

Either way, this needed to be done,

Welcome to the Bronx Zoo, Caveman!

AMYanks

Big Dools returns. :2thumbs:

AJW

I'm with you Dools. I like the move.

Johnny O

At 4 years - $52M, it's a HUGE difference.

And please refer to career stats, it's significantly more relevant.

Panamaniac42

Right, I'd still like Michaels on board as our 4th ofer.

yanksphan

And furthermore, what the hell does that have to do with Kevin Thompson?

Dude - I SO look forward to your statistically packed posts. One thing I've learned from you is sample size means a lot.

I'm just gonna pretend this post never happened.....;)

nycdoc999
All of you who think that Jason Michaels is a better player than Johnny Damon -

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE!!

;)

Just joking.

But seriously - you all are kidding, right?

Jason Michaels is almost 30 years old, and has a grand total of 808 major league at bats, does not hit for power or steal bases.

Johnny Damon will be 32 when the season starts, has some pop, hits for a reasonable average, steals 25 bases a year over the past 4 years, and is on base 35-38% of the time. Michaels is good defensively - but certainly not the offensive player Damon is. Damon will score 120+ runs in this lineup, without a doubt.

DiMaggio5CF
guys -

That works for me...

So instead of runners going first to third on a single to center, we'll have to watch opposing batters going home to third on a single to right?

Solid plan.

ICEBERG18
"New York came after me aggressively and that's what sealed the deal," he said. "I'm headed to New York ... I'm very excited ... It's with mixed emotions ... Time for me to look forward."

-BOSTON GLOBE-

gk1272
i can't help but hope that his first at bat is met with silence at the stadium.

Dooley Womack
I'm not thrilled, but why exactly are so many people completely freaking out over this? :dunno:

We could always use more guys with BA's like Damon's.

He's an on base machine. He finds a way and their isn't a scrappier player in baseball. The Yanks, with Dotel and now Damon have to be the favorites now.

Oh...one other thing..........BOSTON HAS NO CF! :lol:

wileedog
Umm, he makes us better people. Good get.. I don't care about the money.

The Yankees are a better team today than they were yesterday.

And will go through this whole CF nightmare again in a couple of years.

Damon is a sub .800 OPS hitter out of Fenway and will only get worse. His arm assures that the 1st to 3rd merry-go-round will continue. His $13M/yr contract means he won't be movable when he does go the Bernie route.

And he's a complete d*ckhead to boot.

Is it a complete disaster? No.

BUt cheering it as some sort of offseason victory is horribly shortsighted.

NelsonMuntz
We don't know that Seattle offered that. It was reported, but that doesn't mean it was true. Once they signed Washburn, they would not have done it.
IIRC, Yankee officials denied that there was ever any discussion with the Mariners for Reed.

RhodeyYankee2638
But now we have a $52 million dollar contract tied up in Johnny Damon, who I didn't want at all. This didn't need to happen.

Well you aren't the GM, or the person paying the contract. And of course, Michaels is cheap, so it woon't add any money on. We had money to throw around anyway after we lost $30 mil from Bernie/Brown

chanman7483

I do know what I'm talking about... everything I have read regarding deals w/ the Yanks have STARTED with Cano or Wang. We don't need to continue going back and forth w/ that... I read what I read, you read what you read.

Nevertheless, the NY Tax holds true.. and I don't see the Yanks pulling a quick one under any team for some time.

Panamaniac42
For $3 million a year more, wouldn't the Yankees have been better off signing Beltran who's also 5 years younger? ;)

In the words of Cher, "If I Could Turn Back Time"

Evil Empire
Too bad we couldn't get Nomar....

CTSoxFan
The Red Sox did offer arbitration to Damon, so I think the Yankees do in fact lose their first round pick.

...which is, of course, the secret reason why the Sox let the Yankees take Damon. What a coup for the two-headed braintrust of the team.

Besides, I hear we can get Corey Patterson in a trade, so who needs a guy like Damon, anyway?

Sarcasm meter must be swingin' high now...

Yankees1962
12-20-05, 10:45 PM
The Yankees lose their first round pick for Damon and 2nd round for Farnswroth, but they pick up the first round pick from the Phillies for Gordon which is a better pick than the Yankees and also a supplemental pick.

I Love Wang
Just so everyone knows, the Red Sox, according to Olney and ESPNews, offered Damon 4 years at 40 million. We offered him about 3 more million per. Anywho, Johnny Damon makes this team better at manufacturing runs. SOMETHING WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH IN A LONG TIME. And frankly, he is practically the same CF Bernie Williams was in terms of range from 1999-2001. We went to the WS all 3 years. Carry on folks...

The Yankees manufactured 886 runs last year. Thats pretty good. Bernie Williams was a vastly, vastly better offensive player from 1999-2001 than Johnny Damon will be over the next four, or has ever been.

Vin
I can't wait till baseball season starts.

The question is: Will Matt Damon root for Johnny Yankee Damon now?

Panamaniac42
He's an on base machine. He finds a way and their isn't a scrappier player in baseball. The Yanks, with Dotel and now Damon have to be the favorites now.

Adam Stern in CF and Tony Graffanino at SS.

Cool.

NelsonMuntz
I guarantee we will see an Arroyo for Reed trade in the coming days.

NYYBombshell
12-20-05, 10:46 PM
Right now I don't like this. I loathe it. However, that can change if he proves himself worthy of the obscene amount of money we threw at him. If he can do what we need him to do and do it all season, I'll be thrilled.

RhodeyYankee2638
...which is, of course, the secret reason why the Sox let the Yankees take Damon. What a coup for the two-headed braintrust of the team.

Besides, I hear we can get Corey Patterson in a trade, so who needs a guy like Damon, anyway?

Sarcasm meter must be swingin' high now...

Sorry, we keep our 21st overall pick, foor the 104th time

wileedog
He's an on base machine.
.340 OBP out of Fenway the last 3 years.

I'm not sure the word 'machine' means what you think it does.

CTSoxFan

Apparently you've forgotten about the immortal Adam Stern.

I Love Wang
Well you aren't the GM, or the person paying the contract. And of course, Michaels is cheap, so it woon't add any money on. We had money to throw around anyway after we lost $30 mil from Bernie/Brown

The problem is, in 2009, when we have CF prospects, they're going to get blocked because we've got a below-average player making 13 million dollars a year while leading off.

gdn
All of you who think that Jason Michaels is a better player than Johnny Damon -

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE!!

;)

Just joking.

But seriously - you all are kidding, right?

Jason Michaels is almost 30 years old, and has a grand total of 808 major league at bats, does not hit for power or steal bases.

Johnny Damon will be 32 when the season starts, has some pop, hits for a reasonable average, steals 25 bases a year over the past 4 years, and is on base 35-38% of the time. Michaels is good defensively - but certainly not the offensive player Damon is. Damon will score 120+ runs in this lineup, without a doubt.Doesn't change the fact that his defense sucks.

nojoke
12-20-05, 10:47 PM
I agree. The contract sucks, but Boston is with a hole. We still have WaNo. Johnny, you better get us #27...
Thats the best part about this deal. With a lot of CF'ers gone from the market, the only one that they could fight back with is Hunter, who I don't think Boston has the trade bait to get, after losing Hanley Ramirez, their biggest chip. If you think about it, who do they have playing shortstop and CF now? Varitek will be catching Wake till they get a catcher comfortable catching for him, and they have Mike Lowell at 3rd base. The Sox lost all of their heart, Damon, Millar, (I'll say Mueller), Mirabelli.

Evil Empire
Right now I don't like this. I loathe it. However, that can change if he proves himself worthy of the obscene amount of money we threw at him. If he can do what we need him to do and do it all season, I'll be thrilled.

Obscene amount of money? Prove himself? Are we talking about Arod? ;)

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
Give Cashman credit. He got Damon for a 4 year deal. Sheffield is gone next year and if our prospects are ready they will replaced Sheffield and move Damon over. It creates a problem for the Redsox in that they now have to give up pitching for of er and they must find a leadoff hitter.

Damon will move over to where, right field? Bengie Molina with 2 sprained ankles and 2 torn hamstrings can go from 1st to 3rd on Damon. Damon is a center fielder, a left fielder or a DH. He should never be allowed near right field.

WebsterMulligan
Living up in New England, I have seen Damon play alot. He plays the game, the way it should be played. He is a hardnosed player, who will not disappoint. He will earn his money, IMO.

I can live with this move.

RhodeyYankee2638
The problem is, in 2009, when we have CF prospects, they're going to get blocked because we've got a below-average player making 13 million dollars a year while leading off.

Thats what a DH is for. Sheff will be long gone by then

CTSoxFan
12-20-05, 10:48 PM
Adam Stern in CF and Tony Graffanino at SS.

Cool.

Actually, it's Cora at short.

God, it sucks when the comeback line is worse than the damned joke.

NYYBombshell
Obscene amount of money? Prove himself? Are we talking about Arod? ;)

A-ROD BASHER!!111!!! :P

C-BUS CLIPPER
GET OUT THE HAIR CLIPPERS!!!! Welcome Aboard Johnny!!

WebsterMulligan
Damon will move over to where, right field? Bengie Molina with 2 sprained ankles and 2 torn hamstrings can go from 1st to 3rd on Damon. Damon is a center fielder, a left fielder or a DH. He should never be allowed near right field.

I completely agree. If Damon were to play RF, teams would run on him with impunity.

161 and River Ave.

I'm glad you can predict the future. Who says they're going to get blocked. If they are Major League ready they will be. You say "centerfield prospects" as if they grow on trees.

I Love Wang
I do know what I'm talking about... everything I have read regarding deals w/ the Yanks have STARTED with Cano or Wang. We don't need to continue going back and forth w/ that... I read what I read, you read what you read.

Nevertheless, the NY Tax holds true.. and I don't see the Yanks pulling a quick one under any team for some time.

There was never discussion about Michaels or Reed that STARTED with either of those guys. Initially Philly wanted Wang for Michaels, and then backed off that, and they were talking Sturtze/Henn. Seattle supposedly offered Reed for Pavano.

Panamaniac42
Okay folks, i've tried escaping this thread 3 times already so now I'm REALLY out.

It would be cool if everyone calmed down a little bit. I got my Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cab Sauvignon going here, I'm gellin, you gellin?

Damon is a done deal, no turning back, there is no need to gouge one's eyes out, slit one's wrists, or tell someone that they are an idiot for picking one side or the other.

Sorry if I offended any Jason Michaels proponents, and no offense taken by me for anything.

Goodnight and God Bless the Yankees and all you mofos.

rightfielder21
This is the type of deal the Yankees needed to avoid...

True Yankee-ette13
Thing is, by just about every relevant stat, Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon.

I'm not a stat head, but Jeter sure does like to hack. It's just aggravating at times, and I know I'm not the only one who has complained about this/ suggested that he's better in the 2 hole.