PDA

View Full Version : The Beer Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Smithers
12-20-05, 12:02 PM
By popular demand, and my own request, here's the place we can recommend/warn our fellow forumers about beer selection. Without trying to rule with an iron fist, i'd suggest these two rules:

1. there's no need to talk about bud, miller, coors, etc. i think we all know they're garbage in comparision.

2. give locations. most beer isn't distributed nationally, so it could be hard to find certain beers in certain areas.

to start off, personally, i prefer drinking fruit-based beers in the winter, specifically sam adams cherry wheat. i've also had dogfish head's aprihop but it wasn't as fruity as i would have thought. any suggestions?

SuperMario66
12-20-05, 12:04 PM
Wow, it just hit noon here - and there's a beer thread.

MTYankee23
12-20-05, 12:07 PM
By popular demand, and my own request, here's the place we can recommend/warn our fellow forumers about beer selection. Without trying to rule with an iron fist, i'd suggest these two rules:

1. there's no need to talk about bud, miller, coors, etc. i think we all know they're garbage in comparision.

2. give locations. most beer isn't distributed nationally, so it could be hard to find certain beers in certain areas.

to start off, personally, i prefer drinking fruit-based beers in the winter, specifically sam adams cherry wheat. i've also had dogfish head's aprihop but it wasn't as fruity as i would have thought. any suggestions?

Cherry Wheat is spectacular. Never had Aprihop. My friends and I were going to do the 12 Beers of Christmas for our holiday party until we decided that mixing that many heavy winter beers would be a poor decision.

I have had Bad Elf and Very Bad Elf (I believe distributed in New England by Shelton Brothers) both were pretty good.

yanksrule69
12-20-05, 12:09 PM
My favorite (non miller lite) beer is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale (http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/autopics/360.jpg). It's ridiculously good.

I tried the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin (http://www.win.net/~optimator/images/Blumn-hp.gif) this past Fall (well I guess it is still officially Fall) and it was really good.

This thread is going to be torture at work. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

MTYankee23
12-20-05, 12:17 PM
My favorite (non miller lite) beer is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale (http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/autopics/360.jpg). It's ridiculously good.

I tried the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin (http://www.win.net/~optimator/images/Blumn-hp.gif) this past Fall (well I guess it is still officially Fall) and it was really good.

This thread is going to be torture at work. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

LOVE Sea Dog. Harvest pumpkin is good too. This thread will clearly be the death of me at work.

JWHIII
12-20-05, 12:28 PM
Lately I've been drinking Harpoon's UFO which is really good when I'm not drinking Molson Canadian.

Smithers
12-20-05, 12:31 PM
Cherry Wheat is spectacular. Never had Aprihop.

dogfish head, which is based in delaware, makes these two OUTSTANDING IPAs, the 60 minute IPA and the 90 minute IPA. they're expensive, like 8 bucks for a 4 pack, but they're both amazing.

i am somewhat biased though, as i love pale ales. sierra nevada's pale ale is a staple beer for me.

i've had the sea dog blueberry, but i really wasn't blown away by it. call me crazy, but i think half of it had to do with the horrible looking labels and packaging.

SuperMario66
12-20-05, 12:33 PM
If it isn't too much to ask, could you start your sentences with capital letters? Thanks.

yanksrule69
12-20-05, 12:37 PM
Lately I've been drinking Harpoon's UFO which is really good when I'm not drinking Molson Canadian.

Do you ever get it from the Harpoon brewery? I swear the beer that you get directly from there is like liquid crack it gets you completely wasted very easily.

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
12-20-05, 12:37 PM
Wow, it just hit noon here - and there's a beer thread.

It's 5:00 somewhere!

A:NY:way, I have to agree with the Dogfish Head IPA's. Other brewers I recommend are Great Lakes in Cleveland (and their Dortmunder Gold), and Stone in San Diego (makers of the notorious Arrogant Bastard).

51BWilliams
12-20-05, 12:39 PM
As for local beer, I like all sorts of stuff from the Ithaca Brewery. Save for the IPA and the Double IPA, which is swill in my opinion

However, Nothing holds a candle to the creamy smooth delights of a pint of Guinness, be it from the tap, or the pint size cans. I love this stuff. I have one a day. No more, no less. 1 beer a day. 15 cans from BJ's for 15 bucks is like God said 'Let him have beer', and it was good.

My brother also makes this Chocolate beer that is guinness-like in it's texture and finish, but has a chocolatey flavor to it. It;s dang good. It knocks me on my duff tho, I can't have more than two or I get a little tipsy.

SuperMario66
12-20-05, 12:41 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about - Natty Lite.

Nothing else can please a girl like me.

MTYankee23
12-20-05, 12:42 PM
Do you ever get it from the Harpoon brewery? I swear the beer that you get directly from there is like liquid crack it gets you completely wasted very easily.

Tell me more about this liquid crack . . .

JWHIII
12-20-05, 12:45 PM
I have not, but with this new information I will remedy that problem soon enough. :D

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-20-05, 12:49 PM
If I had to pick a subject that I've spent the most time "researching" and know the most about, it would probably be beer.

There is a terrific microbrewer here on the island Blue Point.
Favorite microbrew on the east coast is Magic Hat.
Favorite imports are Hoegaarden and Leffe.

Smithers
12-20-05, 01:00 PM
If I had to pick a subject that I've spent the most time "researching" and know the most about, it would probably be beer.

There is a terrific microbrewer here on the island Blue Point.
Favorite microbrew on the east coast is Magic Hat.
Favorite imports are Hoegaarden and Leffe.

Magic hat was better before they retired humble patience, that was my favorite one. Not really a fan of fat angel or hocus pocus.

Imports . . . i dont drink all too often, outside of the nationally distributed ones (harp, etc.). I've had hacker pschorr, which is okay but not great. The only one that sticks in my head was "fin du monde" which i had in canada. Amazing.

Has anybody had the top of the line imports like Duvel, Celebrator, etc.? Just wondering which of those are worth the time. I haven't really opened that door yet.

(super mario, i had to go back and put in the caps for you.)

yanksrule69
12-20-05, 01:04 PM
Tell me more about this liquid crack . . .

It's great. I've been to the HarpoonFest a few times and you get all sorts of messed up on just a few beers. It's really strange, actually.

I love their UFO (I always call it Hefeweizen) especially with a lemon in it.

SuperMario66
12-20-05, 01:10 PM
Yay. Thank you! Much easier to read now!

penfold
12-20-05, 01:10 PM
Magic hat was better before they retired humble patience, that was my favorite one. Not really a fan of fat angel or hocus pocus.

Imports . . . i dont drink all too often, outside of the nationally distributed ones (harp, etc.). I've had hacker pschorr, which is okay but not great. The only one that sticks in my head was "fin du monde" which i had in canada. Amazing.

Has anybody had the top of the line imports like Duvel, Celebrator, etc.? Just wondering which of those are worth the time. I haven't really opened that door yet.

(super mario, i had to go back and put in the caps for you.)

Duvel... yummy. I like a lot of Belgian beers, especially Wittekirk (a white beer aka a wheat beer). Chimay red is quite nice but Chimay blue has been nicknamed "barfenbrau" in my household. It's extra syrupy and kinda nasty. I'm afraid of the Chimay gold, which is supposed to be even more "rich" than the blue.

As far as what I'd order in a bar... Newcastle Brown is still my #1 favorite. I also like Bass Ale, which is usually easier to find than Newcastle. My husband really introduced me to Stella Artois (Belgian as well), which is one fine lager. If I'm at a place that has absolute crap on tap, a bottle of Heineken or Amstel Light can usually suffice.

We recently enjoyed Kronenbourg, which is beginning to be distributed more widely in this country...

But if you find yourself in Ireland, nothing can really beat a Guinness. (They brew it differently for export locales.)

Sam18
12-20-05, 01:24 PM
Anyone ever tried Duff?

Kulish29
12-20-05, 01:27 PM
Pabst Blue Ribbon. You cant beat 6 bucks for a 12 pack.

penfold
12-20-05, 01:32 PM
See... I might be in the minority here. I prefer quality over quantity. I actually want to taste my alcohol. And if tastes like crap, I stay away.

Kulish29
12-20-05, 01:33 PM
See... I might be in the minority here. I prefer quality over quantity. I actually want to taste my alcohol. And if tastes like crap, I stay away.

Pabst is good quality. It did win a Blue Ribbon ya know. ;)

penfold
12-20-05, 01:34 PM
If you live near a Trader Joe's that sells alcohol, run there now and get a 6 pack of Export Gold. It's a lager from New Zealand. They sell both cans and bottles. I've only ever gotten the bottles. $3 a sixpack.

Best. Buy. Ever.

Kulish29
12-20-05, 01:34 PM
Blue Moon is actually one of my favorites. Has a nice, different taste.

Kulish29
12-20-05, 01:35 PM
If you live near a Trader Joe's that sells alcohol, run there now and get a 6 pack of Export Gold. It's a lager from New Zealand. They sell both cans and bottles. I've only ever gotten the bottles. $3 a sixpack.

Best. Buy. Ever.

I just recently found a Circle K that sells Pabst 18-pack bottles for 8.99.

That should be illegal.

RhodyYanksFan
12-20-05, 01:36 PM
It's great. I've been to the HarpoonFest a few times and you get all sorts of messed up on just a few beers. It's really strange, actually.

I love their UFO (I always call it Hefeweizen) especially with a lemon in it.

OMG Harpoon Octoberfest is the one of the most fun (and expensive) days of the year. Their Oktoberfest beer is my favorite - especially when you get it at the brewery. 4,000 people drinking fresh Harpoon and getting trashed. I've gone for the past 3 years. This year it was on 10/1 and the Yankees were in town. It was the day they won the AL East. I had my A-Rod shirt on and after they won the guy selling beer tokens gave me 2 free ones (this is after I've already had 5 pints) b/c he was a Yankee fan.

We usually go from 1-6 then go out in Boston. I love it up there...hate the fans, love the city (and the girls :ga-ga: )

dabomb2045
12-20-05, 01:52 PM
I love microbrews....one of my good friends works for a beer distributor that owns one of the biggest beer stores in the country (Half Time..Poughkeepsie NY)....place has like 250 beers on tap.

I am a frequent visitor...and he hooks me up with alot of good beer.

FreeYayo
12-20-05, 01:54 PM
I've been on a Long Trail kick...
Brewed out of VT

Give the Double Bag a try

yanksrule69
12-20-05, 01:55 PM
I've gone for the past 3 years. This year it was on 10/1 and the Yankees were in town. It was the day they won the AL East.

I was supposed to be there that day but I never made it although my brothers both went rocking their Yankees gear. Now that I'm thinking about it they said there were a good amount (it being Boston and all) of people wearing Yankees stuff. The keg bowling is hilarious.

I like Bass too. I forgot about that. And I like Newcastle in smaller quantities. I like a few more "good" beers than I thought. Although for me it is usually quantity over quality. :D

boo_427
12-20-05, 01:57 PM
There are too many good craft beers to name. In Georgia, there is no limitation on the alcohol content a beer can have. There are so many good breweries in this country that I can't name them all. One thing I have learned, beer is about what taste good to you, not anyone else.

I am going to list the top 10 craft breweries according to me, in no particular order:

1.) Rogue: http://www.rogue.com/index.html (available in Atlanta)
2.) Great Divide: http://www.greatdivide.com/ (available in Atlanta)
3.) Avery: http://www.averybrewing.com/Home (available in Atlanta)
4.) Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/ (brewed and bottled in Atlanta)
5.) Terrapin: http://www.terrapinbeer.com/ (headquartered out of Athens, GA)
6.) Clipper City: http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/default.htm (available in Atlanta)
7.) Stoudts: http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/ (available in Atlanta)
8.) Brooklyn: http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/Splash.asp?refer=/Default.asp& (available in Atlanta)
9.) Sea Dog: http://www.seadogbrewing.com/seadogbrews.php (available in Atlanta)
10.) New Belgium: http://www.newbelgium.com/ (not available in Atlanta)

I have tasted or drank about 75% of the beers offered from these breweries. I can say that they have somehting for everyone.

For Smithers:
Fruit to try and find....
*Great Divide Wild Raspberry
*Rogue Juniper Pale Ale
*Sweetwater Blue (the only thing that compares to Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat and vice versa)
*Clipper City Roxford Raspberry
*Sea Dog Blueberry and Raspberry Wheat

FreeYayo
12-20-05, 01:58 PM
The one thing i don't like for the most part in my beer is fruity flavors. Too sweet. I'm more of an India Pale Ale guy. I like the bitterness

RhodyYanksFan
12-20-05, 01:59 PM
I've been on a Long Trail kick...
Brewed out of VT

Give the Double Bag a try

I like their Harvest Ale (http://www.longtrail.com/foa_hv.cfm)

MiamiKat
12-20-05, 02:01 PM
I have two words for you...Meister Brau. ;)

But seriously...for beer that's slightly off the beaten path, I like Kingfisher (Indian beer) and Singha (Thai beer). They're flavorful but not too heavy.

I also like wheat beers like Hoegaarden -- they're light & refreshing...something that's very important here in steamy, hot Miami.

And Chimay is amazing. I prefer Chimay Red, but I'll drink Chimay Blue. I don't think I've ever had the Gold.

(There's also malt liquor like OE, Mickey's or Crazy Horse, a guilty pleasure of mine. They must be drunk straight out of the 40, though, to get the full enjoyment. :D )

penfold
12-20-05, 02:03 PM
Ya know what else I really like (but haven't had in years)? Pete's Wicked Ale. Not the fruity flavors but just the plain jane Wicked Ale.

Mmmmmmmmm.

JDPNYY
12-20-05, 02:04 PM
As this is indeed an "Official" Thread, I would respectfully ask that anyone Posting here be very sure that your Post is ready for this Thread.

If you aren't sure please practice here:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91934

RhodyYanksFan
Ya know what else I really like (but haven't had in years)? Pete's Wicked Ale. Not the fruity flavors but just the plain jane Wicked Ale.

Mmmmmmmmm.

Pete sold it to a major brewer so it's not the same :(

They used to have THE best winter brew, now they made it into this crap cream ale thing. I miss the old days.

yanksrule69
I have two words for you...Meister Brau. ;)

Oh my that brings me right back to Freshman year of High School. :eek:

Mmmmmmmmm.

I like Pete's Summer Ale. I think it's much better than Sam Adams' Summer Brew.

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
12-20-05, 02:07 PM
Anyone ever tried Duff?

I can't get enough of that wonderful Duff!

RhodyYanksFan
12-20-05, 02:21 PM
I can't get enough of that wonderful Duff!

Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yeah! (http://www.duffnstuffracing.com/duffman.jpg)

PinstripePride
12-20-05, 02:27 PM
I'm a Bud guy. Regular, Select, Lite, whatever. All good stuff.

JWHIII
12-20-05, 02:29 PM
I'm a Bud guy. Regular, Select, Lite, whatever. All good stuff.
Really can't go wrong with the King. A beer to have when your having more than one.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-20-05, 02:33 PM
Really can't go wrong with the King. A beer to have when your having more than one.

"The one beer to have when you're having more than one" is the Schaefer slogan for 50 years, not Bud. :)

RhodyYanksFan
12-20-05, 02:38 PM
Anyone ever had Narragansett beer? It went away for a while, but came back recently. Brewed using the finest RI water :lol:

http://www.narragansettbeer.net/

JWHIII
12-20-05, 02:42 PM
"The one beer to have when you're having more than one" is the Schaefer slogan for 50 years, not Bud. :)
I know, but I don't believe them. ;)

fredgmuggs
12-20-05, 02:51 PM
Back in my beer drinking days, my approach always was quantity over quality. I was very contented with a Utica Club beer ball. Yeah, I know.... my standards weren't very high. And now when I can afford better beer, I don't drink it anymore. Go figure?

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-20-05, 02:56 PM
I know, but I don't believe them. ;)

:lol:

For anyone on LI, Blue Point has free beer Thursday & Friday 3-7 and Saturday 12 - 7.

PalmerGA
12-20-05, 03:02 PM
As many of you know, I am a HUGE fan of Saranac beers/ales. Top choice for beer - Saranac Amber Lager. For ale - Saranac Pale Ale. Brewed and distributed by the West End Brewing Company in Utica, NY.

Also good is Saranac's Season's Best... specially brewed for the Christmas/Holiday season. A little different every year. :gulp: Ahhhhhh....

(Wish I could get some down south :( )

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-20-05, 03:10 PM
As many of you know, I am a HUGE fan of Saranac beers/ales. Top choice for beer - Saranac Amber Lager. For ale - Saranac Pale Ale. Brewed and distributed by the West End Brewing Company in Utica, NY.

Also good is Saranac's Season's Best... specially brewed for the Christmas/Holiday season. A little different every year. :gulp: Ahhhhhh....

(Wish I could get some down south :( )

Palmer, their website sounds like they have it near you:

Saranac Beer, as well as Saranac 1888 Soft Drinks (Brewery Root Beer, Diet Root Beer, Sparkling Lemonade, Orange Cream & Ginger Beer) are available in 22 states on the East Coast.

States Include: Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Actually, I don't know where in Georgia you are (assuming by the username), but they do carry it at Whole Foods.

boo_427
12-20-05, 03:24 PM
Palmer,

I have seen that at the liquor store I frequent. There are also a billion Whole Foods in the metro-Atlanta area, can't say I have seen it there though.

I am going to give that a whirl, have yet to have it.

5OClockLighting
12-20-05, 03:29 PM
Any Samuel Smith fans, their Oatmeal Stout is one of my favs.

http://beeradvocate.com/
The above is the best site out for all things beer.

#7forever
12-20-05, 05:32 PM
For a very good Belgian style abbey ale, try Ommegang brewed in of all places Cooperstown, NY. Duvel recently purchased the operation from the local owners.
I also enjoy a seasonal brew, "Delerium Noel" around 11% so don't overdo and drive.

FreeYayo
12-20-05, 06:04 PM
im currently enjoying my first Winter Hook by Red Hook
Delicious I must say

WebsterMulligan
12-20-05, 06:12 PM
My present favorite is Spaten Optimator. A classic German "Doppel Bock", brewed in Munich.

deranged2005
12-20-05, 08:32 PM
Uhhh....Yuengling?

RhodyYanksFan
12-21-05, 10:28 AM
Funny how the thread stopped at 9:30 last night.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-21-05, 10:35 AM
Funny how the thread stopped at 9:30 last night.

Speak for yourself, my final post was 4:00pm ;)

RhodyYanksFan
12-21-05, 10:47 AM
Speak for yourself, my final post was 4:00pm ;)

Well it was your birthday.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-21-05, 10:56 AM
Well it was your birthday.

Forgot about that, good point. Let's see what time I start drinking and stop posting today.:D

PinstripePride
12-21-05, 11:42 AM
Anyone ever had Red Stripe? My buddy swears by it. I've yet to try some.

mr. baskums
12-21-05, 11:48 AM
Anyone ever had Red Stripe? My buddy swears by it. I've yet to try some.

It's not bad but there are so many other beers that are much, much better. I thought it had a bit of a bitter beer taste.

Syracuse Pale Ale made by the Middle Ages Brewing Company is delightful, and I could use a cold one right now.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/103/328/

mentalgidget
12-21-05, 12:03 PM
For a very good Belgian style abbey ale, try Ommegang brewed in of all places Cooperstown, NY. Duvel recently purchased the operation from the local owners.
I also enjoy a seasonal brew, "Delerium Noel" around 11% so don't overdo and drive.

I came here to tout that brewery's "Three Philospohers" probably the best beer I've ever tasted. It's a quapdrupel (it's spelled that way!) and words cannot describe it's gloriousness

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=4

I have some and am cellaring it

mentalgidget
12-21-05, 12:06 PM
Anyone ever had Narragansett beer? It went away for a while, but came back recently. Brewed using the finest RI water :lol:

http://www.narragansettbeer.net/

My grandfather used to drink that stuff all the time, according to my mother. A few years back, before they sold the name, my mom went searching for it and found some in a little dive store in Central Falls (if anyone knows RI, they know that's not a stretch!)

I actually think it was sold to the same brewers that own Milwaukee's Best and is now brewed out of the Ocean state

TannerBoyle
12-21-05, 12:33 PM
no particular order:

any Magic Hat
Abita Turbodog
Budweiser
Brooklyn Brown
Mendocino Fat Tire Pale Ale
Kronenbourg
Harpoon Winter/Holiday
Saranac Black Lager
Tui and Steinlager, but only when you're in New Zealand, b/c it doesn't travel well

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-21-05, 12:48 PM
Rhody, I wrote Magic Hat yesterday, here is the bad news:

We will not be brewing Ravell again any time soon. It was time to make way for other tasty new elixirs. Insider tip: Look for a porter in the mixed variety 12-pak in the spring called Joe’s Garage!

There you have it. Goodbye to Ravell.

RhodyYanksFan
12-21-05, 12:50 PM
Rhody, I wrote Magic Hat yesterday, here is the bad news:

We will not be brewing Ravell again any time soon. It was time to make way for other tasty new elixirs. Insider tip: Look for a porter in the mixed variety 12-pak in the spring called Joe’s Garage!

There you have it. Goodbye to Ravell.

Curses! Thanks for finding out. That's cool that they wrote you back that fast. Who wants porter in the spring??

yanksrule69
12-21-05, 03:33 PM
I'd really like some beeeeeeeeeer right now. lots of it. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

RhodyYanksFan
12-21-05, 03:35 PM
Anyone else like that "Beer" song by Psychostick? It cracks me up every time I hear it.

boo_427
12-21-05, 03:53 PM
I'd really like some beeeeeeeeeer right now. lots of it. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Stopping by my favorite package store on the way home. Well, kinda out of the way, but getting a few of these Christmas brews that can't be found further down in the state.

Some of my friends from home have made a few special requests.

Sidenote: Wine Content
My boss hooked me up with a bottle of wine for Christmas, a 2002 Cakebread Cellars Rubaiyat. Supposed to excellent and pretty rare.

English Yankee
12-21-05, 09:08 PM
I stopped drinking beer a few years ago and just drank red wine but recently I tried a beer called Chimay which is brewed by Belgian Trappist monks and now I've started drinking it regularly. They do a few different ones but the one I really like is one with the blue label. They say it's better at around 8-10 degrees, but I like it straight out of the fridge. Trappists know beer. :)

NYYBombshell
12-21-05, 09:10 PM
I don't know how any of you can drink that stuff.

RhodyYanksFan
12-21-05, 09:19 PM

It's a beautiful thing. I also hate spending $7.00 for watered down mixed drinks that give me horrible hangovers. Bottled beer is always fresh and never messed with. Good beer on tap tastes great.

RobRiv
12-21-05, 09:24 PM
I'm an ale man, myself. Sierra Nevada (CA), Long Trail IPA(VT), Otter Creek(VT) are among my favorites. I also live near a fantastic brew pub that makes the best Octoberfest ale I ever tasted.

But I'll tell you what kind of beer I don't like. I don't like this $52 million dollar bottle of Bernie-lite that the Yanks just signed to play centerfield. I just hope this bitter aftertaste doesn't linger for 4 years.

yanksrule69
12-21-05, 10:03 PM

Drink what? Beer?

If you mean beer then I don't know how you can't drink the stuff.

You are in a thread that is clearly about beer and people who enjoy it. If you don't know how anyone can drink beer then I don't know why you would even bother commenting on it.

MrsSplitty22
12-21-05, 11:15 PM
Hey! I love Bud. It never lets me down. And I think it goes down nicely.

boo_427
12-22-05, 10:30 AM
After a $140 visit to my favorite package store. For those in the metro Atlanta area Bullocks Beverage Warehouse is the best in state. If they don't have it, they will get it for you.

Had two brews I had never drank before, but I highly recommend both.

Corsendonk Christmas Ale: http://www.corsendonk.com/
This little number comes in a 8.5 liter bottler at 8.5% alcohol it is potent. The best Christmas brew I have tasted this year. Their website is in Dutch, but an english version coming soon. You can navigate through it to find their "Corsendon Producten".

North Coast Old Stock: http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/oldstock.htm
You actually drink this one at room temperature. It is potent, but oh so tasty. 11.5% alcohol, dark malty flavor with a faint fruity hint. Only 1200 cases of this stuff is produced. North Coast Pranqster is another great one that I've had previously.

yanksrule69
12-22-05, 10:41 AM
:eek: drinking beer at room temperature :jaw-drop:

boo_427
12-22-05, 10:43 AM
From what I understand most European beers are meant to be drank at room temperature.

It was really good, I was amazed beyond belief.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-22-05, 10:43 AM

Never left the US huh? ;)

yanksrule69
12-22-05, 10:47 AM
Never left the US huh? ;)

Many times actually!

Beer at room temperature - yuck. Actually, pretty much drinking anything at room temperature is pretty gross.

From what I understand most European beers are meant to be drank at room temperature.

Those silly Europeans drink everything warmer than us.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-22-05, 10:52 AM
Many times actually!

I was just teasing :) Truth is, there is a fews reasons beer is drunk (drank?) at room temperature. First being that at room temperatures, you get more flavor and aroma from the ingredients (as in wine). The second being, when served ice cold, it freezes up your tastebuds some, and therefore doesn't allow you to really taste the beer (as in coors light ;)).

If it's a good beer that is actually enjoyable to the taste, you don't really notice the temperature, it's actually kindof nice and smooth.

yanksrule69
12-22-05, 10:58 AM
I was just teasing :) Truth is, there is a fews reasons beer is drunk (drank?) at room temperature. First being that at room temperatures, you get more flavor and aroma from the ingredients (as in wine). The second being, when served ice cold, it freezes up your tastebuds some, and therefore doesn't allow you to really taste the beer (as in coors light ;)).

If it's a good beer that is actually enjoyable to the taste, you don't really notice the temperature, it's actually kindof nice and smooth.

well, see, that's the problem. I don't drink beer for the taste!

brosiusbuddy
12-22-05, 11:05 AM

Well, I'm in CT for the time being. I reside in FL but my family is here in CT so I'm with them for the holidays. However, before I moved, a good fruit based ale was Long Trail Blackberry Wheat. Very good flavor.

Hitman23
12-22-05, 11:16 AM
Wow, it just hit noon here - and there's a beer thread.it's always noon somewhere. :gulp:

fredgmuggs
12-22-05, 11:45 AM

I know the myth is that they drink beer at room temperature in England... but that's not completely true. The beer is stored in basements and traditionally it's served cool.... it's neither served cold (like in the US) or served at room temperature (as the myth says it is). But don't worry they've given into US tastes and now most every place in England (especially those places that cater to the tourist trade) serves cold beer as well.

Anyway, I prefer Scotch wisky.

penfold
12-22-05, 11:50 AM
I know the myth is that they drink beer at room temperature in England... but that's not completely true. The beer is stored in basements and traditionally it's served cool.... it's neither served cold (like in the US) or served at room temperature (as the myth says it is). But don't worry they've given into US tastes and now most every place in England (especially those places that cater to the tourist trade) serves cold beer as well.

Anyway, I prefer Scotch wisky.

You hit the nail on the head.

The definition of "room temperature" in Europe is not the same thing as the definition of "room temperature" here.

Red wines and British beers should be served at a cool temperature but not so cold that condensation forms on the glass. Room temperature allows the flavor to come out.

IMHO, US mass market beers are served ice cold to mask the flavor -- or lack thereof. Instead of savoring the flavor, the intention is to savor the refreshment factor.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-22-05, 11:51 AM
Interesting article:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=479

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Hot (70C/158F): Quelque Chose, Liefmans Glühkriek, dark, spiced winter ales like Daleside Morocco Ale.

fredgmuggs
12-22-05, 12:02 PM
Not to change the subject.... but do any of you beer aficionados brew your own beer? I have a buddy of mine in NH that brews a raspberry wheat concoction and I have to admit that it's pretty tasty.

edit: spelling

yanksrule69
12-22-05, 12:02 PM
The definition of "room temperature" in Europe is not the same thing as the definition of "room temperature" here.

Neither is their definition of cold. European refrigerators and freezers simply do not get as cold as American ones.

boo_427
12-22-05, 12:22 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=479

Nice find! That is all pretty interesting.

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
12-22-05, 01:47 PM

It was really good, I was amazed beyond belief.

"Of course, in foreign lands, people are known to drink Not-So-Cold Ones, Room Temperature Ones, and even... Warm Ones."
--Strong Bad on "Cold Ones"

Hitman23
12-22-05, 01:49 PM
I like beer. I really do. But warm beer tastes like yesterday's ass. eff that.

PalmerGA
12-22-05, 05:37 PM
Palmer, their website sounds like they have it near you:

Actually, I don't know where in Georgia you are (assuming by the username), but they do carry it at Whole Foods.I've looked in all the best markets and liquor stores around here (near Albany, GA) and haven't found any. But thanks anyway

PalmerGA
12-22-05, 05:39 PM
Palmer,

I have seen that at the liquor store I frequent. There are also a billion Whole Foods in the metro-Atlanta area, can't say I have seen it there though.

I am going to give that a whirl, have yet to have it.I just haven't seen any down here. Hope you like it! ;)

RhodyYanksFan
12-23-05, 10:48 AM
I like beer. I really do. But warm beer tastes like yesterday's ass. eff that.

Seriously. I'll be an "ignorant American" on this one and continue to drink my beer ice cold in a frosted glass.

Big Ragu
12-23-05, 02:17 PM
Abita Beer -- especially Turbodog -- from Louisiana. You'll probably have to search for it in the Northeast. I highly recommend it. The Gate, a bar in my neighborhood, was doing a promotion where all profits from Abita sales went to Hurricane Katrina relief. There's nothing quite like that guilt-free hangover.

montrealer
12-23-05, 02:40 PM
Guiness in the winter....and New Castle in the summer.

montrealer
12-23-05, 02:45 PM
"Of course, in foreign lands, people are known to drink Not-So-Cold Ones, Room Temperature Ones, and even... Warm Ones."

Up here in Montreal all Pubs serve you a choice of Chilled or Au tablette(shelf beer room temperture)....While I like my Guiness chilled my British friends cringe at the thought. :o

PalmerGA
12-23-05, 04:09 PM
Seriously. I'll be an "ignorant American" on this one and continue to drink my beer ice cold in a frosted glass.Well, you have to drink many domestic beers (Miller, Bud, etc.) cold (36-40 degrees) or you'd hate it. Although it takes a little while to get used to... european beer tastes MUCH better at around 55 degrees. The flavor gets weak if it's much colder than that. Great stuff.

Scout3434
12-23-05, 07:28 PM
Has anyone here tried Negra Modelo? Very good stuff IMO.

montrealer
12-24-05, 06:13 AM

Room temp is around 55 degrees so its really not warm.In Montreal Pubs keep supplies in the cellar .

Smithers
12-24-05, 01:54 PM
I came here to tout that brewery's "Three Philospohers" probably the best beer I've ever tasted. It's a quapdrupel (it's spelled that way!) and words cannot describe it's gloriousness

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=4

I have some and am cellaring it

I saw this at the store last night so i took your advice and got it. Amazing. Certainly one of the best i've ever had.

I also tried Duvel for the first time . . . but was somewhat disappointed. Probably because 3 philosophers was that good. Also had some Long Trail Hibernator, which was nice as well. Nothing mind-blowing though.

I saw this Chocolate Stout that looked interesting but didnt get it . . but dammit I forget the brewer's name.

Casey37
12-24-05, 02:15 PM
My beer is Killian's Irish Red. I first had it about 5 years ago and it's been my beer ever since. Goes down real easy.

penfold
12-24-05, 04:07 PM
Abita Beer -- especially Turbodog -- from Louisiana. You'll probably have to search for it in the Northeast. I highly recommend it. The Gate, a bar in my neighborhood, was doing a promotion where all profits from Abita sales went to Hurricane Katrina relief. There's nothing quite like that guilt-free hangover.

Abita also makes an excellent root beer.

Have you tried Crimson Voodoo or Blackened Voodoo? I like Blackened Voodoo more. It's smooth. They brew some good beers in Louisiana.

Big Ragu
12-24-05, 07:18 PM
Abita also makes an excellent root beer.

Have you tried Crimson Voodoo or Blackened Voodoo? I like Blackened Voodoo more. It's smooth. They brew some good beers in Louisiana.

I agree, they do brew some good beers down there. Maybe it's all the flavor that's washed down the Mississippi. However, I'm not too down with the Dixie beers. There was another good microbrew down there called Acadian, but I'm not sure it they're still around.

yankeebot
12-24-05, 07:42 PM
I love a real Black and Tan:

For a perfect Black and Tan you need a bottle of Bass Ale and a can of Guinness (bottles don't work as well) and a pint size glass. You will need a spoon bent so the concave end is facing down and the handle straight up.

Pour half the glass full of tan beer and let any head collected simmer down. Take your bent spoon and place it inside the glass at the lip. Pour the Guinness on the spoon so the beer cascades, hitting the sides of the mug and washing down the glass. This prevents the two beers from mixing in the glass.

A good bartender at a true Irish Pub can do this without the spoon but it is a must for me.

DontHateOnNumber2
12-25-05, 12:25 AM
I refuse to drink (other than some champagne on New Year's) until I'm 21. I don't know why, but that's how I am. Although I hear Sam Adams is the best from more than a few people. I'll try that one first.

Mark19
12-25-05, 01:41 AM
Belgium's De Huyghe breweries brews a line known as Delirium.

It is brewed specifically for one bar in Brussels but it can be found occasionally in the states.

Delirium Tremens
Delirium Noel
and Delirium Nocturnum

simply put, Tremens is the best beer I've ever had, and that is coming from someone who lived in Belgium for quite some time.

m_sisca
12-25-05, 02:29 AM
young's double chocolate stout

guinness pub draught

newcastle

red hook esb

shiner winter ale

shiner summer stock
and when im slummin- bud light.

boo_427
12-25-05, 09:58 AM
Belgium's De Huyghe breweries brews a line known as Delirium.

It is brewed specifically for one bar in Brussels but it can be found occasionally in the states.

Delirium Tremens
Delirium Noel
and Delirium Nocturnum

simply put, Tremens is the best beer I've ever had, and that is coming from someone who lived in Belgium for quite some time.

I second this 100%! The Tremens was the first of three I had. The Noel is unreal! I actually still have a bomber corked from last year.

Another great Belgium Brewery is Gouden Carolus. Their Noel is excellent too. Nice call Mark.

Smithers
12-26-05, 07:32 AM
I had Magic Hat's (new?) seasonal, Saint Kootz or however it's spelled. unfortunately i thought it was craptacular. i prefer either the sweet fruit based or the bitter pale ale-type. it was just very bland in comparasion.

jonnyc39
12-26-05, 07:34 PM
I'm an ale man, myself. Sierra Nevada (CA), Long Trail IPA(VT), Otter Creek(VT) are among my favorites. I also live near a fantastic brew pub that makes the best Octoberfest ale I ever tasted.

But I'll tell you what kind of beer I don't like. I don't like this $52 million dollar bottle of Bernie-lite that the Yanks just signed to play centerfield. I just hope this bitter aftertaste doesn't linger for 4 years.
Rob, I'm not sure where you live, but if you like Sierra Nevada you should try Endurance Pale Ale if you an find it. New Brewery, only available in the northeast right now. Good stuff. http://www.endurancebrewing.com I think.

Dave Visbeck
12-26-05, 08:34 PM

Okay. I'm in. I don't care much for beer but will have a little at times. I'm Dutch... so go figure what I may drink if I choose too.

I've tried private beers at times ... all with different twists. Haven't done it often though so I'll have to try to remember some. I'll be back.

Oh .... I just remembered one sort of that I liked okay. It was one done in San Francisco but I can't remember right this minute.

Dooley Womack
12-26-05, 10:44 PM
Three beer I highly recommend is Delirium Tremens (my favorite). Newcastles Brown and Sam Adams' Hefeweizen, an unfiltered wheat beer, aren't bad and more readily available.

Dooley Womack
12-26-05, 10:53 PM
Another great Belgium Brewery is Gouden Carolus. Their Noel is excellent too. Nice call Mark.

GREAT choice. A VERY tasty beer. It almost has a hint of licorice to it, or something similar, at least to me

yanksrule69
12-27-05, 01:13 AM
I love a real Black and Tan:

For a perfect Black and Tan you need a bottle of Bass Ale and a can of Guinness (bottles don't work as well) and a pint size glass. You will need a spoon bent so the concave end is facing down and the handle straight up.

Pour half the glass full of tan beer and let any head collected simmer down. Take your bent spoon and place it inside the glass at the lip. Pour the Guinness on the spoon so the beer cascades, hitting the sides of the mug and washing down the glass. This prevents the two beers from mixing in the glass.

A good bartender at a true Irish Pub can do this without the spoon but it is a must for me.

Black and tans are really good but I prefer black and blues. Yum. :gulp:

nahzo
12-27-05, 04:14 AM
I wish I was on the East Coast, such that I could try some of the local brews you people have out there. From west coast breweries, I enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Steam Beer, as well as Widmer Hefeweizen (wheat beer).

There is also a local brewery named Sudwerk Privatbrauerei, literally 1.5 miles from me, that makes many types of German style lagers (helles, pilsen, maibock, doppelbock, hefeweizen, and of course, marzen). I enjoy some of their beers, but like many breweries, not all of their selections are great.

National beers that I like are Sam Adams, Bud, Miller, and the occasional Corona (not a big fan). Others are OK: Rolling Rock, Coors, and Miller Lite.

I've tried quite a few foreign beers, with mixed results: Asahi Super Dry (Japanese) was surprisingly different; something about "dry" beer sounded bad, originally. Pilsner Urquell (supposedly the father of all modern lagers) from the bottle was good but too sulfury, maybe shipping had some effect on it. Guinness is always great to have, and for me, is a nice change of pace in having beer (I don't drink choclatey beer very often). Heineken is incredibly popular everywhere I go, for reasons unbeknownst to me, as it seems like just a regular old beer. Most of the latin beers I've had were pretty crummy, but maybe they just aren't my taste. Foster's was a beer I remember thinking was really crappy and bland. I've had others which I can't really remember, but most are pretty good in their own right.

I have heard excellent things about Trappist beers, namely Chimay. I'd love to try that someday.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-27-05, 07:03 AM
I refuse to drink (other than some champagne on New Year's) until I'm 21. I don't know why, but that's how I am. Although I hear Sam Adams is the best from more than a few people. I'll try that one first.

You're setting yourself up for dissapointment with Sam. ;)

RhodyYanksFan
12-27-05, 08:14 AM
Black and tans are really good but I prefer black and blues. Yum. :gulp:

What's in a black & blue?

yanksrule69
12-27-05, 08:23 AM
What's in a black & blue?

Guinness and blueberry flavored beer. They are really good.

Smithers
12-27-05, 08:34 AM
You're setting yourself up for dissapointment with Sam. ;)

not if it's octoberfest or cherry wheat.

but any of the others i agree with.

RhodyYanksFan
12-27-05, 08:36 AM
not if it's octoberfest or cherry wheat.

but any of the others i agree with.

Sam Light is really good.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
02-15-06, 11:04 AM
Curses! Thanks for finding out. That's cool that they wrote you back that fast. Who wants porter in the spring??

Ravell is back, for a weekend anyway:

(see the bottom right)
http://www.magichat.net/newsletters/2006-02-15/

DaPip1998
02-15-06, 04:29 PM
I have the greatest wife ever! My valentine's day present? Entry to the "Beer of the Month" club! Woo Hoo!

Boogiedown Bomber
02-15-06, 04:30 PM
Guinness and blueberry flavored beer. They are really good.

are you serious???? :eek: :eek:

penfold
09-20-06, 09:21 PM
I just bought a 6-pack of Trader Joe's Hefeweizen. YUM! It has a banana essence (a lot of wheat beers have this flavor -- apparently, it comes from the yeast).

You gotta try this stuff!

yanksrule69
09-20-06, 11:13 PM
I just bought a 6-pack of Trader Joe's Hefeweizen. YUM! It has a banana essence (a lot of wheat beers have this flavor -- apparently, it comes from the yeast).

yummmm. I love Hefeweizen. Might have to try this kind.

yankeesAZ
09-20-06, 11:17 PM
Pyramid Hefeweizen is the best! I'll give TJ a shot though.

Having some Sam's Octoberfest tonight.

Normally, I drink one of the many fine microbrews of the northwest.

WashingtonYankee
09-21-06, 12:48 AM
I :ga-ga: Curve Ball-- I think it's from Oregon but I know we can get it in Seattle. I also :ga-ga: Alaskan Summer Ale!!! These are all light beers.... I hate beer btw... but I love these two!!!

WashingtonYankee
09-21-06, 12:49 AM
Pyramid Hefeweizen is the best! I'll give TJ a shot though.

Having some Sam's Octoberfest tonight.

Normally, I drink one of the many fine microbrews of the northwest.

I second. We have like the best beer!!! :D Have you tried the Mac & Jacks Amber from Redmond??

yankeesAZ
09-21-06, 07:33 AM
I second. We have like the best beer!!! :D Have you tried the Mac & Jacks Amber from Redmond??

Of course! That beer can only be found on tap at bars and restaurants. Wish I could drink that at home.

Curve Ball is from the Pyramid Brewery also. A summer beer, so you better get some more before they run out.

PaulieIsAwesome
09-21-06, 09:05 AM
I'm finishing up a four pack of Young's Chocolate Stout (got it in DC.) I'm a big fan of stouts. I'm pretty sure it's British. It was about $10 for a four pack, so reasonably expensive. When I've poured it well, it's been fantastic. Of the three I've drank, I've poured one very well, and it was just amazing. Another I poured ok, and it was good. Last night, to celebrate the Yankees, I had a terrible pour into a bad glass, and it was atrocious. So, yeah. Be careful with that.

TheTinoMobile
09-21-06, 10:53 AM
ANyone been to the Beer Bistro in Toronto? Went there this past summer during the horrible July weekend series up there. Place is amazing.

Smithers
09-21-06, 12:16 PM
I'm finishing up a four pack of Young's Chocolate Stout (got it in DC.) I'm a big fan of stouts. I'm pretty sure it's British. It was about $10 for a four pack, so reasonably expensive. When I've poured it well, it's been fantastic. Of the three I've drank, I've poured one very well, and it was just amazing. Another I poured ok, and it was good. Last night, to celebrate the Yankees, I had a terrible pour into a bad glass, and it was atrocious. So, yeah. Be careful with that.

Have you tried Stone Imperial Russian Stout? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1160

one of the most amazing beers i've ever had, and i'm not a stout person (i'm a hophead). It's a summer release, so if you're lucky, you might be able to find it at a store that has lots of craft and import beer before it's gone. i picked up 3 bottles of it at a place by my apartment.

Bub
09-21-06, 12:48 PM

You gotta try this stuff! If you like that, you may like Rare Vos, a local brew made in Cooperstown. I can get it here, about 70 miles away, but I don't know how much further they distribute. Same deal though, a wheat beer, darker and fuller than Blue Moon which is another but more common wheat brew.

HidekiIrabu
09-21-06, 01:44 PM
I really enjoy Milwaukee's Best Light, quite a quality beer

PinstripePride
09-21-06, 02:05 PM
I really enjoy Milwaukee's Best Light, quite a quality beer

Hahahahahahaha

TheTinoMobile
09-21-06, 02:22 PM
Hahahahahahaha

It's up there with Keystone Light.

Mark19
09-21-06, 04:08 PM
Any of you guys ever have Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum?

Excellent Belgian beer, difficult to find though

PaulieIsAwesome
09-21-06, 06:17 PM
Have you tried Stone Imperial Russian Stout? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1160

one of the most amazing beers i've ever had, and i'm not a stout person (i'm a hophead). It's a summer release, so if you're lucky, you might be able to find it at a store that has lots of craft and import beer before it's gone. i picked up 3 bottles of it at a place by my apartment.

Looks very good. Tried my local liquor store, didn't have it. I did buy a nice pumpkin beer. I bought Blue Moon, but I'm pretty sure Sam Adams sells it as well. It's tastes a little lighter than a wheat beer, but with a hint of pumpkin.

I also saw that Sam Adams has a sampler of four "classic" beers: George Washington Porter, a ginger based beer, a honey beer, and a root beer: actual alcohol, but flavored with root. It looked great, though a little pricey.

PalmerGA
09-21-06, 06:34 PM
I refuse to drink (other than some champagne on New Year's) until I'm 21. I don't know why, but that's how I am. Although I hear Sam Adams is the best from more than a few people. I'll try that one first.You won't like it. Your taste buds have to acquire a taste for beer... once they do (if they do), you'll hopefully appreciate beers such as SA or European imports. Miller, Bud, Coors, etc. are all crap by comparison.

JDPNYY
09-21-06, 06:49 PM
As this is indeed an "Official" Thread, I would respectfully ask that anyone Posting here be very sure that your Post is ready for this Thread.

If you aren't sure please practice here:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91934

As this Thread has been revisited, I would like to point this out once again.
(See above)

Bub
09-21-06, 06:55 PM
You won't like it. Your taste buds have to acquire a taste for beer... once they do (if they do), you'll hopefully appreciate beers such as SA or European imports. Miller, Bud, Coors, etc. are all crap by comparison. I concur. It takes years to acquire a taste for a good beer, and most don't taste too good right off, especially the dark ones.

penfold
09-21-06, 06:57 PM
You won't like it. Your taste buds have to acquire a taste for beer... once they do (if they do), you'll hopefully appreciate beers such as SA or European imports. Miller, Bud, Coors, etc. are all crap by comparison.

Very true.

It took me a while to like the taste of beer. It wasn't until I spent a summer in the UK that I finally acquired a taste for it. So that means I don't mind when I get served a good British beer that's room temperature -- provided it's British room temperature (which is significantly colder than US room temperature).

I think the cheap beer that gets unfairly knocked is Rolling Rock. Yeah, it's close to sparkling water but it's not as bad as people say.... It's light so it might be a decent "starter brew." Plus, it's cheap.

RhodyYanksFan
09-21-06, 07:34 PM
Oh happy day....

http://www.beerfestamerica.com/index.php

WashingtonYankee
09-22-06, 02:09 AM
Of course! That beer can only be found on tap at bars and restaurants. Wish I could drink that at home.

Curve Ball is from the Pyramid Brewery also. A summer beer, so you better get some more before they run out.

I know!! The Amber is so good! I'm so SO so so sad that Curve Ball and Alaska Summer Pale Ale is only summer beers.... if you see AK Summer Pale Ale in the stores let me know!! :( I have a big thing of Alaska Amber in my purse.... mmmm. :D

WashingtonYankee
09-22-06, 02:11 AM
Oh happy day....

Oh you suck Greg!

boo_427
09-22-06, 11:09 AM
Oh happy day....

Clipper City, Dogfish Head, Victory.... oh man!

yankeesAZ
09-22-06, 11:12 AM
I know!! The Amber is so good! I'm so SO so so sad that Curve Ball and Alaska Summer Pale Ale is only summer beers.... if you see AK Summer Pale Ale in the stores let me know!! :( I have a big thing of Alaska Amber in my purse.... mmmm. :D

Check all your grocery stores. A lot of places will be trying to unload the summer beers quickly.

destelle
09-22-06, 11:20 AM

that sounds awesome. i love hefeweizen - unfortunately, i don't really have a trader joe's near me - may have to make a special trip :-)

JWHIII
09-22-06, 11:26 AM
Any of you guys ever have Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum?

Excellent Belgian beer, difficult to find though
Both of those names sound dangerous.

destelle
09-22-06, 11:35 AM

so, what makes a good pour? i want to get the best taste possible! thanks!
-dawn

Bro Jackhammer
09-22-06, 12:11 PM
Post Road Ale - Pumpkin Ale

This was recommended to me by the 'beer guy' at my local speciality store and damn if he was right. Really, really good pumpkin ale, if you're into it.

Smithers
09-22-06, 12:15 PM
Clipper City, Dogfish Head, Victory.... oh man!

I love Dogfish Head and Victory. I had Victory's Hop Wallop a couple weeks ago and wow, does that name fit.

Also Rogue and Long Trail will be there. Unfortunately no Stone or Three Floyds.

On another note, winter cannot come soon enough so i can finally try this one: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/7520

5OClockLighting
09-22-06, 12:16 PM
so, what makes a good pour? i want to get the best taste possible! thanks!
-dawnhttp://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/pour.php
It is all about the getting the perfect head.

Also if you want to become a real beer snob you got to use the right glass.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

That website is the perfect place to learn and read about beer, it is well worth the free sign up.

5OClockLighting
09-22-06, 12:17 PM
Anyone like barley wine?

destelle
09-22-06, 12:33 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/pour.php
It is all about the getting the perfect head.

Also if you want to become a real beer snob you got to use the right glass.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

That website is the perfect place to learn and read about beer, it is well worth the free sign up.

cool - thanks! i had it pretty much down - just wanted to be sure.
i did notice when i was up on the longtrail site that they recommend certain glasses with certain types of beers - but my yankees pint glasses will have to do - i don't have room for multiple types of beer glasses ;) .

Bub
09-22-06, 01:15 PM
For you old farts out there:

"A preachment, dear friends, you're about to receive on John Barleycorn, nicotine and the temptations of Eve." :O

fredgmuggs
09-22-06, 01:21 PM
For you old farts out there:

"A preachment, dear friends, you're about to receive on John Barleycorn, nicotine and the temptations of Eve." :O

Hallelujah brother, Bub;)

Yes, I am an old fart.

penfold
09-22-06, 02:20 PM
Anyone like barley wine?

I'm a little gun-shy of wines not made from grapes. I have a tendency to get migraines so I have to be very careful about what's in my alcohol.

Is barley wine anything like mead? I tried mead in Ireland thinking that I'd like it and, sadly, I thought it was revolting.

boo_427
09-22-06, 02:29 PM
I love Dogfish Head and Victory. I had Victory's Hop Wallop a couple weeks ago and wow, does that name fit.

Also Rogue and Long Trail will be there. Unfortunately no Stone or Three Floyds.

On another note, winter cannot come soon enough so i can finally try this one: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/7520

Do you get Three Floyd's on the east coast? That one looks tasty!

We get every Rogue brewed here as well as Avery, Great Divide, Bar Harbor, Clipper City, Stoudts, etc... so some pretty good crafts.

But, NO Dogfish Head, Victory, Stone or Three Floyds. Two Bros. and Bells make some pretty good stuff. New Glarus out of Wisconsin is unreal. I have cousins in Madison that bootleg with me sometimes.

If you are interested in any of the locals from here that stellar and want to "trade" let me know and we can set something up. I am hophead myself and prefer IPA's & Belgiums.

5OClockLighting
09-22-06, 04:37 PM
I'm a little gun-shy of wines not made from grapes. I have a tendency to get migraines so I have to be very careful about what's in my alcohol.

Is barley wine anything like mead? I tried mead in Ireland thinking that I'd like it and, sadly, I thought it was revolting.Never had mead, but barley wine is not really a wine. Sierra Nevada makes a real popular (easy to find) one called Bigfoot. Pretty much barley is really strong hoppy beer with 9-12% abv. You just have to drink it at room temp (~60 degrees).

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/19

Despite its name, a Barleywine is very much a beer, albeit a very strong and often intense beer! In fact, it's one of the strongest of the beer styles. Lively and fruity, sometimes sweet, sometimes bittersweet, but always alcoholic. A brew of this strength and complexity can be a challenge to the palate. Expect anything from an amber to dark brown colored beer, with aromas ranging from intense fruits to intense hops. Body is typically thick, alcohol will definitely be perceived, and flavors can range from dominant fruits to palate smacking, resiny hops.

English varieties are quite different from the American efforts, what sets them apart is usually the American versions are insanely hopped to make for a more bitter and hop flavored brew, typically using American high alpha oil hops. English version tend to be more rounded and balanced between malt and hops, with a slightly lower alcohol content, though this is not always the case.

penfold
09-22-06, 04:47 PM
Never had mead, but barley wine is not really a wine. Sierra Nevada makes a real popular (easy to find) one called Bigfoot. Pretty much barley is really strong hoppy beer with 9-12% abv. You just have to drink it at room temp (~60 degrees).

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/19

I don't think I'd like it.

It sounds similar to a Belgian beer I tried once and really disliked... I can't remember the name but it was dark and overly hoppy -- so much so that it tasted like sweet, syrupy fermented flowers. Last year I had some Chimay Ale with the blue label and thought that might have been the mystery brew. Neither my husband nor I liked it very much. He nicknamed it "barfbrau"! ;)

I like my beers on the malty side with enough hops to balance out the flavor. Newcastle Brown Ale from the middle of the cask (as opposed to the very start or very end) is probably my favorite. But it's hard to turn down a really good lager.

YankeeGalSC
09-23-06, 04:15 PM
There is a brewery in Wis. called Leinenkugel's and the beers are known as "Leinie's". The Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss mixed together are fantastic. :)
Unfortunately, it's only distributed in the midwest. :(

http://www.leinie.com

boo_427
09-25-06, 03:38 PM
There is a brewery in Wis. called Leinenkugel's and the beers are known as "Leinie's". The Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss mixed together are fantastic. :)
Unfortunately, it's only distributed in the midwest. :(

http://www.leinie.com

They sell it here in Atlanta.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 06:15 PM
Have any of you tried this year's version of Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout?? I have been disappointed with their beers lately, but they won me over with the BCS.

5OClockLighting
11-21-06, 06:32 PM
Have any of you tried this year's version of Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout?? I have been disappointed with their beers lately, but they won me over with the BCS.Just bought a 6 pack, I always been a fan of their BCS. It kicks your butt at 10.6 %, up quite a bit from years past IIRC.

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 06:33 PM
Have any of you tried this year's version of Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout?? I have been disappointed with their beers lately, but they won me over with the BCS.

I have and it was a little too much. Why the disappointment? I have the Octoberfest and Nut Brown in the fridge and I enjoy them very much.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 06:36 PM
I have and it was a little too much. Why the disappointment? I have the Octoberfest and Nut Brown in the fridge and I enjoy them very much.

I found the Nut Brown to be bland. It really didn't do anything for me. I thought the Octoberfest was too hoppy for my wussy tastes.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 06:37 PM
Just bought a 6 pack, I always been a fan of their BCS. It kicks your butt at 10.6 %, up quite a bit from years past IIRC.

Last week, I had two in one night and I felt like I was trippin' on NyQuill.

4bronxbombers
11-21-06, 06:38 PM

No, but I think I'd like to. :gulp:

gdn
11-21-06, 06:39 PM
No, but I think I'd like to. :gulp:No surprise there.... :P

4bronxbombers
11-21-06, 06:40 PM
No surprise there.... :P

Could it be the beer or the chocolate?! :P Or.........perhaps................both!

gdn
11-21-06, 06:41 PM
Could it be the beer or the chocolate?! :P Or.........perhaps................both!I think it's more the "I'll try anything" characteristic.

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 06:41 PM
I found the Nut Brown to be bland. It really didn't do anything for me. I thought the Octoberfest was too hoppy for my wussy tastes.

Garrett Oliver (sp) always seems to make a really good product. I agree alot of his stuff is a little too bland but Brooklyn Brewery is pretty much a mass produced beer now. So, the original intent of micro or "craft" brew is out the window. I enjoy his stuff. Magic Hat Brewery is about the same caliber and same MO---good product, nothing too crazy and reasonable prices.
If you want to try a really good micro brew around NYC try Blue Point Brewery.
I have their Hoptical Illusion and it rocks.

Anyone pick up some beer for Turkey day?

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 06:53 PM
Magic Hat Brewery is about the same caliber and same MO---good product, nothing too crazy and reasonable prices.

I got into Magic Hat back in the day, circa '97. Magic Hat #9 was a fave for me for a long time. I do agree with you that Brooklyn Brewery is mass produced now. Don't they brew almost all of their beer upstate now?

Picked up a sixer of BCS, and a six of Carolina Brewing Company's Old Barleywine.

5OClockLighting
11-21-06, 06:57 PM
Don't they brew almost all of their beer upstate now?

They always did, every bottle is from upstate. The only stuff brewed in NYC is the stuff you get on tap in the NYC area.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 06:59 PM
They always did, every bottle is from upstate. The only stuff brewed in NYC is the stuff you get on tap in the NYC area.

Gotcha!

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 07:17 PM
Nice call on the Upstate knowledge. I am actually from there and everything from Sam Adams to Brooklyn is done at the Matts Brewery!
They make Saranac, which rocks. Their Pale Ale and Black and Tan are amazing. But, I am biased.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 07:23 PM
Nice call on the Upstate knowledge. I am actually from there and everything from Sam Adams to Brooklyn is done at the Matts Brewery!
They make Saranac, which rocks. Their Pale Ale and Black and Tan are amazing. But, I am biased.

I agree with you on the Saranac Pale Ale. It is a classic beer for me from college. It went well with some grilled chicken in the spring time! :)

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 07:28 PM
I got into Magic Hat back in the day, circa '97. Magic Hat #9 was a fave for me for a long time. I do agree with you that Brooklyn Brewery is mass produced now. Don't they brew almost all of their beer upstate now?
Picked up a sixer of BCS, and a six of Carolina Brewing Company's Old Barleywine.

Don't know it. I picked up a 6 of Pacifico for the GF and a few bottles of Jever---german pilsner for me. 2 bottles of Lefe blond,Southhampton IPA and Singha...I ran out of money or I would have bought some Carlsburg he just got in.

I go to Hercules grocery on 7th ave south, guy knows his beer.

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 07:29 PM
I agree with you on the Saranac Pale Ale. It is a classic beer for me from college. It went well with some grilled chicken in the spring time! :)

What college? I did not know it was distributed outside of NY.

ManilaYankee
11-21-06, 08:08 PM
Wow, a thread which is almost a year old...

Lemme add my three favorites:

San Miguel Beer - local beer here, of course. Best known as SMB. No other beer comes close if you're here in Manila. It has the Pale Pilsen, Draft, Super Dry, Lite, Ice and Strong Ice. From the same brewery and company comes...

Red Horse - Same taste but with a heavier kick. 1 bottle = 1.5 of SMB. If you're broke and just wanna get wasted, this one's for you. It's cheaper. :D

Tiger Beer - Asian beer. I think from Malaysia or Singapore, not so sure. It's sweet that's why I like it.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
11-21-06, 08:26 PM
Garrett Oliver (sp) always seems to make a really good product. I agree alot of his stuff is a little too bland but Brooklyn Brewery is pretty much a mass produced beer now. So, the original intent of micro or "craft" brew is out the window. I enjoy his stuff. Magic Hat Brewery is about the same caliber and same MO---good product, nothing too crazy and reasonable prices.
If you want to try a really good micro brew around NYC try Blue Point Brewery.
I have their Hoptical Illusion and it rocks.

Blue Point is actually about 50 miles east of NYC. I go there very often. Thursday, Friday and Saturday is free beer at the brewery. Can't beat that.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-21-06, 08:39 PM
What college? I did not know it was distributed outside of NY.

Drew University - Madison, NJ

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 10:05 PM
Blue Point is actually about 50 miles east of NYC. I go there very often. Thursday, Friday and Saturday is free beer at the brewery. Can't beat that.

Yeah? Free Beer? I have been planning a trip out there to check out the brews. I have only had the Illusion and I hear their products are top notch. I am sure they have seasonal beers that don't leave the area or even the brewery. That is why I may make the trip out after the holidays.
Stock up the CRV and drive back in the city!

ShaneTravis
11-21-06, 10:08 PM
Drew University - Madison, NJ

Interesting, I am glad you like Saranac. I grew up on the stuff and fully support it. There are a few breweries upstate.....Utica Club, Ithaca, Ommengang.

boo_427
11-22-06, 08:13 AM
New Glarus (http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/)

Great thing I have a cousin in Madison. They only sell this stuff in Wisco and it is fantastic!

So far I've had the Spotted Cow, Copper Kettle, Hearty Hop, & Enigma. Great stuff.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-22-06, 05:51 PM
Interesting, I am glad you like Saranac. I grew up on the stuff and fully support it. There are a few breweries upstate.....Utica Club, Ithaca, Ommengang.

I do enjoy it! Too bad I can't find it here in Raleigh. Never heard Utica nor Ithaca. Did have Ommengang once at a party at Hartwick. It was alright, though I haven't seen it outside that area. Do they distribute outside the Northeast?

#1PaFan
11-22-06, 06:11 PM
Old Milwaukee is still the best, most underrated beer out there! :gulp:

CardNYY
11-22-06, 06:23 PM
Tsingtao is yummy....

4bronxbombers
11-22-06, 06:29 PM
Of all the beer I've tasted I still go with my old favorite, Newcastle. :)

gdn
11-22-06, 06:34 PM
Smirnoff Ice

:looking:

yankeeschic12324
11-23-06, 12:59 AM
Do my eyes deceive me? George has only posted 1 post in this thread?!? :eek: :jaw-drop:

#1PaFan
11-23-06, 01:43 AM
Do my eyes deceive me? George has only posted 1 post in this thread?!? :eek: :jaw-drop:

It's been my Life Experience, that if you have to Talk about it, you ain't done it. ;)

ShaneTravis
11-23-06, 10:18 AM
I do enjoy it! Too bad I can't find it here in Raleigh. Never heard Utica nor Ithaca. Did have Ommengang once at a party at Hartwick. It was alright, though I haven't seen it outside that area. Do they distribute outside the Northeast?

Matts Brewery makes Saranac,Utica Club and does a lot of contract beers--Sam Adams, Brooklyn...
http://www.saranac.com/products/index.html

Ommengang is an exceptional Belgian Ale style brewery in Cooperstown.
http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=0

ShaneTravis
11-23-06, 10:23 AM
Smirnoff Ice

Beer thread not "almost,like kinda sort of beer."

SMIRNOFF ICE™ is a beer alternative brewed using a malt base that gives ICE a refreshing citrus flavored taste.

The difference between SMIRNOFF ICE™ and a beer is SMIRNOFF ICE™ and super-premium and imported beers are brewed and have about the same alcohol content. However, SMIRNOFF ICE™ is brewed using a malt base and contains a special recipe that gives it a clean, crisp, refreshing taste that doesn't weigh you down. SMIRNOFF ICE™ was created as a beer alternative; brewing it using a malt base enabled us to create a recipe that could be sold and consumed just like a beer here in the United States.

gdn
11-23-06, 10:24 AM
Beer thread not "almost,like kinda sort of beer."It was a joke :D

ShaneTravis
11-23-06, 10:29 AM
It was a joke :D

Yeah, I got it. Trying a little witty retort, or maybe not. lol

You are out in Northern Cali right? So you are probably close to Russian River Brewery--Rocks.

Stone IPA and Dirty Bastard--amazing, but I think they are in San D, a little south of you.

And of course one of my favorites which I visit every time I hit San Francisco-Anchor Brewery Company.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-23-06, 12:45 PM
Stone IPA and Dirty Bastard--amazing, but I think they are in San D, a little south of you.

One of the things I miss about living in SoCal were the microbrews. One of my faves was "Arrogant Bastard." Wow...talk about kicking me arse! I found it in a bar called "The Library" in Santa Monica.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-23-06, 01:15 PM
im a fan of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Pinstripedbass
11-23-06, 01:28 PM
One of the things I miss about living in SoCal were the microbrews. One of my faves was "Arrogant Bastard." Wow...talk about kicking me arse! I found it in a bar called "The Library" in Santa Monica.

I don't know where you're located now, but Arrogant Bastard is available in NYC. I've had it on tap at a bar on Amsteradam at 76th St. I've also seen it for sale at a distributor on Tremont Avenue not too far from the Whitestone Bridge. Good stuff that AB.

Pinstripedbass
11-23-06, 01:29 PM
BTW Boogiedown, I've been to The Library in Santa Monica while on vacation in 2004. Really nice place. Good selection of beers. Excellent Buffalo Wings.

montrealer
11-23-06, 03:35 PM
Having won a keg of Guinness on Halloween (still have 79 pints to drink) it`s safe to bet I`m still a Darkman.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-25-06, 04:49 PM
Having won a keg of Guinness on Halloween (still have 79 pints to drink) it`s safe to bet I`m still a Darkman.

So, did you polish off the Guinness keg? If you need help, you know where to find it! :D

Boogiedown Bomber
11-25-06, 04:50 PM
BTW Boogiedown, I've been to The Library in Santa Monica while on vacation in 2004. Really nice place. Good selection of beers. Excellent Buffalo Wings.

Yes! The wings were truly excellent. Nothing better than walking out with a belly full of wings and beer. :gulp:

Boogiedown Bomber
11-25-06, 06:23 PM
Have any of you ever tried an Alexander Keith's?

Pinstripedbass
11-25-06, 08:23 PM
Never heard of Alexander Keith's. I just Googled it. Canadian brew. I ususally go for IPA's. Looks interesting. Where did you try it?

RhodyYanksFan
11-25-06, 08:36 PM
Winter brews are the best thing about the cold weather. I love Newport Storm Blizzard Porter. Dark beers are great.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-26-06, 05:46 AM
Never heard of Alexander Keith's. I just Googled it. Canadian brew. I ususally go for IPA's. Looks interesting. Where did you try it?

I tried it when I was up in Halifax, NS. I know you can find it in Montreal and Toronto, but I don't think it is exported into the US. Their main product is Alexander Keith's IPA, which is not an IPA in the sense of it.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-26-06, 05:47 AM
Winter brews are the best thing about the cold weather. I love Newport Storm Blizzard Porter. Dark beers are great.

Never 'eard of Newport Storm Porter. However, I must agree with you; porters and stouts are great in wintertime.

yanksphan
11-26-06, 09:05 AM
Bell's Batch 7000.

Brewed only once, in limited qtys.

VERY Dark stout and at 14%, a 6 pack can make a party.

One catch: You have to go to Michigan to get it.

The Arrogant Bastard is alive and well here in SoCal. The Stone brewery is actually 7 miles from my house. They've now got the DOUBLE Bastard...wow. Little too malty for my tastes, I'm more of a hop guy. They also have a Double Hopped IPA that they only serve on tap.

Ah beer...

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
11-26-06, 09:13 AM
Have any of you ever tried an Alexander Keith's?

I drank more than I care to admit last year while on business in Canada. It wasn't anything great to be honest.

ShaneTravis
11-26-06, 09:48 AM
Bell's Batch 7000.

The Arrogant Bastard is alive and well here in SoCal. The Stone brewery is actually 7 miles from my house. They've now got the DOUBLE Bastard...wow. Little too malty for my tastes, I'm more of a hop guy. They also have a Double Hopped IPA that they only serve on tap.

Never heard of Bell's Batch, but it sounds fantastic.

Very jealous you live so close to Stone, one of my favorites. Do they do the Growlers? There are a few breweries that have the gallon containers and you bring back to refill. That way you always have fresh beer in the fridge.

I went to Craft Steak last night for a nightcap and the GF was drinking a 2001 Bordeux (it's a wine bar predominately-but I was the only slob drinking beer at the bar)and I was rapping with the bartender who happens to have a pretty spectacular tap selection. I tried the Brooklyn Winter Ale (not so good), Smutty Nose Pumkin Ale (better) but finally settled on this new beer called Brother Thelonious. It's a limited beer just out from Cali. A strong Abbey style ale. Thelonious Monk I guess was a famous jazz musician and it is in honor of him.

Smithers
11-27-06, 09:48 AM
Bell's Batch 7000.

One catch: You have to go to Michigan to get it.

Ah beer...

Stone is an outstanding brewery. Their Russian Imperial Stout is AMAZING. I have two bombers in my house that i'm not cracking open till x-mas time.

4bronxbombers
11-27-06, 09:50 AM
Never heard of Bell's Batch, but it sounds fantastic.

Very jealous you live so close to Stone, one of my favorites. Do they do the Growlers? There are a few breweries that have the gallon containers and you bring back to refill. That way you always have fresh beer in the fridge.

I went to Craft Steak last night for a nightcap and the GF was drinking a 2001 Bordeux (it's a wine bar predominately-but I was the only slob drinking beer at the bar)and I was rapping with the bartender who happens to have a pretty spectacular tap selection. I tried the Brooklyn Winter Ale (not so good), Smutty Nose Pumkin Ale (better) but finally settled on this new beer called Brother Thelonious. It's a limited beer just out from Cali. A strong Abbey style ale. Thelonious Monk I guess was a famous jazz musician and it is in honor of him.

:lol: :lol:

I'll have to check out the Brother Thelonious - sounds yummy. ;)

powerpinstripes
11-27-06, 10:55 AM
Sam Adams Winter Assortment has a lot of really tasty beers, The Cranberry and Black Porter are particularly yummy.

powerpinstripes
11-27-06, 10:56 AM

I love the Blue Point Blueberry Ale. It is awesome.

4bronxbombers
11-27-06, 10:58 AM
Sam Adams Winter Assortment has a lot of really tasty beers, The Cranberry and Black Porter are particularly yummy.

I've tried the Cranberry but not the Black Porter. I'll have to check it out.

4bronxbombers
11-27-06, 10:59 AM
I love the Blue Point Blueberry Ale. It is awesome.

Okay, there's another I haven't tried. Blueberry Ale, eh?

powerpinstripes
11-27-06, 11:00 AM
Okay, there's another I haven't tried. Blueberry Ale, eh?

Bar Harbor Maine Brewery puts out a Blueberry Ale as well, but I like the Blue Point better.

Arod for President
11-27-06, 11:00 AM
I recently decided to pick up a new hobby. Thinking hard of what I wanted to do, I decided to combine two of my biggest passions. Bringing things to life! and Drinking Beer... So I decided to create my own beer.

After a few weeks of internet research I found that in order to make your own beer you need to purchase quite a few items.. (in order to keep ingredients from spoiling) ie, Glass Carboys, sanitizing solutions, your own beer bottles blah blah blah...

Anyways happy to say since then Ive found www.mrbeer.com (http://www.mrbeer.com) this is a wonderful site, 1. its cheap 2. its very easy, and 3. You can make great beers from a Huge list that they offer. They make it possible to buy a start up kit that includes everything you need (all in one) to make your own beer.

Since July I have made well over 200 quarts of beer, in 15 different styles. If your interested in making your own beer I suggest you check it out.. This also would make a great Holiday gift to a beer drinking loved one :)

once again... www.mrbeer.com (http://www.mrbeer.com)

4bronxbombers
11-27-06, 11:04 AM
I recently decided to pick up a new hobby. Thinking hard of what I wanted to do, I decided to combine two of my biggest passions. Bringing things to life! and Drinking Beer... So I decided to create my own beer.

After a few weeks of internet research I found that in order to make your own beer you need to purchase quite a few items.. (in order to keep ingredients from spoiling) ie, Glass Carboys, sanitizing solutions, your own beer bottles blah blah blah...

Anyways happy to say since then Ive found www.mrbeer.com (http://www.mrbeer.com) this is a wonderful site, 1. its cheap 2. its very easy, and 3. You can make great beers from a Huge list that they offer. They make it possible to buy a start up kit that includes everything you need (all in one) to make your own beer.

Since July I have made well over 200 quarts of beer, in 15 different styles. If your interested in making your own beer I suggest you check it out.. This also would make a great Holiday gift to a beer drinking loved one :)

That's very cool that you've made that many different beers. :gulp: I bought my husband a beer making kit when we were dating and he never used it. He prefers to buy a 18pack of Bud - what can I say? :giveup: I have the good taste in beer - IMO. I hate Bud. yuk. ;)

ShaneTravis
11-27-06, 11:14 AM
Bar Harbor Maine Brewery puts out a Blueberry Ale as well, but I like the Blue Point better.
I gotta hit that Blue Point brewery before the holidays. I am not a big fan of the Lambics (cranberry, rasberry) just not into fruity beer. But I will try the Blueberry ale since I have never had one.

Smithers
11-27-06, 12:07 PM

Anyways happy to say since then Ive found www.mrbeer.com (http://www.mrbeer.com/) this is a wonderful site, 1. its cheap 2. its very easy, and 3. You can make great beers from a Huge list that they offer. They make it possible to buy a start up kit that includes everything you need (all in one) to make your own beer.

For those homebrewers in Jersey, there's a nice place in Freehold where you can get whatever you need, and it's a BOP as well. It's called The Brewer's Apprentice: http://www.brewapp.com/

I haven't tried it out yet, but sometime in '07 i plan on starting this new hobby.

I gotta hit that Blue Point brewery before the holidays. I am not a big fan of the Lambics (cranberry, rasberry) just not into fruity beer. But I will try the Blueberry ale since I have never had one.

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat is good, as is Long Trail's Blackberry Wheat. Long Trail has an awesome little brewpub. If you're skiing in the Killington, VT area, I definitely recommend going there.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
11-27-06, 12:57 PM

I agree with the fruity beers, however, Blue Point does the "Black and Blue", which is borderline genius.

penfold
11-27-06, 01:32 PM

They have good burgers, too, but Father's Office (also in Santa Monica) has some REALLY good burgers (but no exceptions/changes/ketchup... they're a bit fascist). They also have more beers on tap than Library Alehouse.

yanksrule69
11-27-06, 02:45 PM
I agree with the fruity beers, however, Blue Point does the "Black and Blue", which is borderline genius.

Mmmmm. I make those myself with Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. It is delicious. :gulp:

Boogiedown Bomber
11-28-06, 06:57 PM
They have good burgers, too, but Father's Office (also in Santa Monica) has some REALLY good burgers (but no exceptions/changes/ketchup... they're a bit fascist). They also have more beers on tap than Library Alehouse.

Never made it to Father's Office. I remember going to the Westwood Brewery, right near UCLA. Their beers were decent, but more importantly, they were within walking distance of the campus. I heard they went out of business though.

Pinstripedbass
11-28-06, 07:38 PM

We were in Santa Barbara for two days and didn't get a chance to find other places. When in SoCal we usually are visiting my brother-in law in San Diego. Always make a stop at Karl Strauss. We usually get a sampler platter of beers.

So many beers, so little time.;)

Boogiedown Bomber
11-28-06, 10:21 PM
We were in Santa Barbara for two days and didn't get a chance to find other places. When in SoCal we usually are visiting my brother-in law in San Diego. Always make a stop at Karl Strauss. We usually get a sampler platter of beers.

So many beers, so little time.;)

Nice! My wife and I enjoyed our time at Karl Strauss when we were in San Diego. She actually tried the Red Trolley Ale (?) and she liked it! I don't remember what I had, since I was too stunned by my wife's actions. :D

Pinstripedbass
12-01-06, 08:32 PM
Boogiedown, I know what you mean. My eyes almost bugged out of their sockets the first time I heard my shy, demure wife order a Black & Tan like she's been drinking 'em her whole life.

BTW, another place we like to go in SD, Pacific Beach to be exact, is The Green Flash. It's on the boardwalk with outdoor seating. They make the best Bloody Marys you'll ever have. Watching the sunset while sipping one of their Bloody Marys is one of the finer things in life.

Yankchic22
12-02-06, 10:16 AM
Has anyone mentioned Tucher? Add a slice of orange... HEAVEN

Boogiedown Bomber
12-03-06, 08:01 AM
Yesterday, I went out and bought Dogfish Head's "Chicory Stout," since I have been on my usual fall/winter stout phase. I was very disappointed with it. I thought the nice aroma would translate well into the flavor; it didn't :( Have any of you tried this beer?

RhodyYanksFan
12-04-06, 08:51 AM
Yesterday, I went out and bought Dogfish Head's "Chicory Stout," since I have been on my usual fall/winter stout phase. I was very disappointed with it. I thought the nice aroma would translate well into the flavor; it didn't :( Have any of you tried this beer?

I haven't had a Dogfish Head I didn't like, but I never tried this one. The 90 Minute IPA and Indian Brown Ale are my favorites.

Boogiedown Bomber
12-04-06, 03:42 PM
I haven't had a Dogfish Head I didn't like, but I never tried this one. The 90 Minute IPA and Indian Brown Ale are my favorites.

90 Minute IPA is one of my all-time faves when it comes to IPAs. Unfortunately, the Chicory Stout didn't make the cut with me.

ShaneTravis
12-21-06, 02:24 PM
A while ago I put the word out to my beer "guy" to snatch up any of the Blue point Hoptical or Anchor Porter---since I can't find them anywhere.

Well, today is my lucky day. Before my lays 64 fluid onces of Toasted Lager from Blue Point. It's in one of those gallon jugs and it's gotta be the freshest beer since it came in last night and has the date penciled in on the bottom of the jug. And if that was not enough Hercules had a six pack of the Anchor Brewing Co. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year brew.
I am pumped.

bnorris85
12-21-06, 02:50 PM
during hockey season its molsen canadian :)

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
12-21-06, 03:08 PM
A while ago I put the word out to my beer "guy" to snatch up any of the Blue point Hoptical or Anchor Porter---since I can't find them anywhere.

Well, today is my lucky day. Before my lays 64 fluid onces of Toasted Lager from Blue Point. It's in one of those gallon jugs and it's gotta be the freshest beer since it came in last night and has the date penciled in on the bottom of the jug. And if that was not enough Hercules had a six pack of the Anchor Brewing Co. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year brew.
I am pumped.

Where do you live?

Out here the Blue Point flows like wine. Nothing like a fresh Growler. Headed to the brewery in 22 minutes. Free beer Thursday!

ShaneTravis
12-21-06, 09:26 PM
Where do you live?

Out here the Blue Point flows like wine. Nothing like a fresh Growler. Headed to the brewery in 22 minutes. Free beer Thursday!

I live in NYC, and the only place I get it on draft are a couple of seafood restaurants here in the village. But, you have been telling me about the jugs of beer out there so I asked my guy to put some feelers out. I would love to go out there but time is a little tight.

Anyway, I get the call and low and behold a growler is in my possesion. I paid 23 bucks for it....is that high?

RhodyYanksFan
12-22-06, 02:06 PM
Anyway, I get the call and low and behold a growler is in my possesion. I paid 23 bucks for it....is that high?

I don't know what beer you're talking about but I've never paid more then $15 for a growler. I got one at the Newport Storm brewery for $10 and refills are $5. It's a great deal.

4bronxbombers
01-07-07, 05:14 PM
Had a Ten Penny ale today and it was really tasty. I think I've had it before but not in a long time. :)

Pinstripedbass
01-07-07, 05:48 PM
Just got back from Key West yesterday. The Mrs. & I went to the Hog's Breath Saloon and we got hooked their own brand, Hog's Breath Lager. Starts out smooth with a little bit of kick at the finish. Good stuff. Anyone here ever try it?:gulp:

RhodyYanksFan
01-08-07, 12:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Long Trail Hibernator (winter brew) :gulp:

Smithers
01-08-07, 12:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Long Trail Hibernator (winter brew) :gulp:

I highly recommend you take a ride to their brewery in VT. It's a really cool place to hang out. There's not much of a tour, but they have a cool bar. The beers are outstanding and the pub grub is really good too.

RhodyYanksFan
01-08-07, 12:33 PM
I highly recommend you take a ride to their brewery in VT. It's a really cool place to hang out. There's not much of a tour, but they have a cool bar. The beers are outstanding and the pub grub is really good too.

How far up is it? It'd be a fun weekend to do Long Trail, Magic Hat, and Ben & Jerry's :)

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-08-07, 01:01 PM

Very very very high. The refill them for 8. Sell them for 10.

CallOfTheCrow
01-08-07, 01:38 PM
a new favorite of mine is Moretti, an Italian beer. :)

Boogiedown Bomber
01-18-07, 06:04 AM
Have any of my fellow beer snobs picked up a copy of the inaugural "Beer Advocate" magazine?

ShaneTravis
01-18-07, 11:26 AM
Have any of my fellow beer snobs picked up a copy of the inaugural "Beer Advocate" magazine?

You know what? I have been a member of that site for a while and don't subscribe for their magazine. I figure there is more than enough information on the website why go and spend in upwards of 30 Dollars for a subscription.

Should I? Is it worth it?