PDA

View Full Version : The Beer Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Toaderly
09-25-07, 05:18 PM
Interesting that this thread pops back up on the night Igawa is pitching for Clemens. Coincidence? I think not.

jlw1980
09-25-07, 05:18 PM
Beer is still nasty. :P :D

jlw1980
09-25-07, 05:19 PM
Interesting that this thread pops back up on the night Igawa is pitching for Clemens. Coincidence? I think not. WTF? I didn't even know about that development! :giveup: :eek: :(

Time to break out the vodka. :lol:

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 05:24 PM
WTF? I didn't even know about that development! :giveup: :eek: :(

Time to break out the vodka. :lol:

Vodka, shots, beer, any stiff drink will do. :eek:

jlw1980
09-25-07, 05:24 PM
Vodka, shots, beer, any stiff drink will do. :eek:I don't think beer is a stiff enough drink. :scared:

montrealer
09-25-07, 05:35 PM
Guinness in the winter and fall ......Newcastle Brown Ale in the Spring and Summer........Wifey and Saranac Pomagranite this Summer:barf: :barf: :barf: Freakin Crappola !!!!!!!

Pinstripedbass
09-25-07, 08:18 PM
One of my new favorites is Blue Moon. It's really great and goes well with a piece of orange. They also have a Harvest Moon right now, which is a pumpkin flavored beer, it is ok, I just don't like pumpkins. I saw everyone was talking about pumpkin beer so I figured I would mention it.

I'm loving the Blue Moon.:gulp:

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 09:22 PM
I'm loving the Blue Moon.:gulp:

Wow....lotsa love for the Blue Moon. :)

Bub
09-25-07, 09:26 PM
Wow....lotsa love for the Blue Moon. :) I like it too...has to be ice cold though.

jlw1980
09-25-07, 09:52 PM
Blue Moon
You saw me standing alooooone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for :-whistle-

Thank you. Thankyouverymuch. :D

West Texas
09-25-07, 09:59 PM
Blue Moon
You saw me standing alooooone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for :-whistle-

Thank you. Thankyouverymuch. :D
Cool.:gulp:

MTYankee23
09-26-07, 09:12 AM
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat kicks Blue Moon's arse every day of the week... And I like Blue Moon

Absolutely. Leine's is my new favorite. I would love to try some of the others they have to offer, but none are available East of Ohio (at least according to whoever answered my email at the Brewery).

Jim F.
09-26-07, 09:25 AM
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat kicks Blue Moon's arse every day of the week... And I like Blue MoonI tried that over the summer... I thought it had a distinct taste similarity to Fruity Pebbles. Blech. I'm not much of a Blue Moon fan, either. May as well be drinking a Mike's Hard as far as I'm concerned :).

mentalgidget
09-26-07, 09:34 AM
I tried that over the summer... I thought it had a distinct taste similarity to Fruity Pebbles. Blech. I'm not much of a Blue Moon fan, either. May as well be drinking a Mike's Hard as far as I'm concerned :).

See, I thought the "fruity" flavor was more subdued in it than in others

Nome
09-26-07, 02:15 PM
Right now I am enjoying a Dogfish Head 90 minute Imperial IPA. It has a nice kick to it.

try it sometime.

Andy

Jim F.
09-26-07, 03:28 PM
Right now I am enjoying a Dogfish Head 90 minute Imperial IPA. It has a nice kick to it.

try it sometime.

AndyI've known you in some form or another for almost 10 years now, Andy, and I would never have expected you to be a fan of anything Dogfish Head puts out. :cool:

TheDynasty26
09-27-07, 09:09 AM

try it sometime.

Andy

i like Dogfish Head....but i just cant do IPA's...i dont know what it is, i just dont like the taste.

Jim F.
09-27-07, 10:52 AM
i like Dogfish Head....but i just cant do IPA's...i dont know what it is, i just dont like the taste.Me either. I like a decent amount of hops in my beers, but IPAs are just typically way too hoppy for me.

mentalgidget
09-27-07, 11:45 AM
Me either. I like a decent amount of hops in my beers, but IPAs are just typically way too hoppy for me.

I have the same feeling. Some of the ultra hoppy micorbrews i love (Demon's Hopyard, Hoptical Illusion, Caskazilla) but i just don't enjoy IPA's.

Nome
09-27-07, 12:17 PM
I've known you in some form or another for almost 10 years now, Andy, and I would never have expected you to be a fan of anything Dogfish Head puts out. :cool:

Jim, I needed something a little strong and the 90 min IPA is 9% alcohol and I couldn't find the 120 min IPA which is 20% alcohol.
Besides Dogfish's is in Rehoboth, DE a beautiful shore town.

Andy

Jace
09-27-07, 12:20 PM
Jim, I needed something a little strong and the 90 min IPA is 9% alcohol and I couldn't find the 120 min IPA which is 20% alcohol.
Besides Dogfish's is in Rehoboth, DE a beautiful shore town.

Andy

Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre is probably my favorite beer. And i love their IPA's too, never been able to find the 120 minute IPA though. I've had the Raison D'extra, which was 18% alcohol. Felt like it was more cognac than beer, but it was still awesome ($14 per 12 ounce bottle though)

4bronxbombers
09-27-07, 12:26 PM
Anyone ever try Brooklyn Pennant Ale 55? I tried it last week and liked it.

RhodyYanksFan
09-27-07, 11:03 PM
I just had a Hobgoblin Ale brewed by Wychwood Brewery out of England. It was very full bodied with a chocolate toffee malt flavor, moderate bitterness and a distinctively fruity character, with a ruby red glow.Everything an Octoberfest should be. :gulp:

RhodeyYankee2638
09-28-07, 12:02 AM
anyone try any of these???

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Ratings-Top50.asp

4bronxbombers
09-28-07, 08:49 AM
I just had a Hobgoblin Ale brewed by Wychwood Brewery out of England. It was very full bodied with a chocolate toffee malt flavor, moderate bitterness and a distinctively fruity character, with a ruby red glow.Everything an Octoberfest should be. :gulp:

ok, I think I'd really like that. :)

LDG
09-29-07, 02:02 PM
I just came back from Germany this week. The Oktoberfest beers in Munich were great, but the Alt beers in Dusseldorf were my favorites. :gulp:

Humph
09-29-07, 03:15 PM
I just came back from Germany this week. The Oktoberfest beers in Munich were great, but the Alt beers in Dusseldorf were my favorites. :gulp:

Alt is decent beer and makes a nice change from all the usual lager type euro beers.

Bitburger is a decent German beer but it has one thing in common with Guineas, imho : it isn't as good out of a bottle.

Tifoso
09-29-07, 03:19 PM
By popular demand, and my own request, here's the place we can recommend/warn our fellow forumers about beer selection. Without trying to rule with an iron fist, i'd suggest these two rules:

1. there's no need to talk about bud, miller, coors, etc. i think we all know they're garbage in comparision.

2. give locations. most beer isn't distributed nationally, so it could be hard to find certain beers in certain areas.

to start off, personally, i prefer drinking fruit-based beers in the winter, specifically sam adams cherry wheat. i've also had dogfish head's aprihop but it wasn't as fruity as i would have thought. any suggestions?

Are you a member at BigSoccer? Thought I was on the wrong forum, for a sec:o (they have the exact thread over there, too)

Boogiedown Bomber
09-29-07, 08:30 PM

I have nothing but envy for you! Is Oktoberfest as crazy as the media tends to portray it??

JeterForPresident
09-29-07, 09:11 PM
Occasionally I have to remember I am still just a college student with limited funds, so I drink cheaper stuff. Not quite Busch (thats what the people who come by get) but the surprisingly refreshing Rolling Rock Green Light. It is one of my favorite "cheaper beers", along with Coors Light, Michelob Light/Ultra.

LDG
09-30-07, 08:57 AM
I have nothing but envy for you! Is Oktoberfest as crazy as the media tends to portray it??

Crazier. But in the best way possible. The first beer tent we got into held over 6000 people, and it was 1 of 14 tents.

The funniest thing is that the live bands play so much American music. At one point, everyone in the tent was standing on the benches singing "Country Roads Take Me Home" by John Denver, in English, word for word. Very surreal!

SalingerNY
09-30-07, 01:54 PM
I managed to have a Highland Gaelic Ale at a restaurant in the South recently. It was so good I asked where I could find it. Apparently it's a brewery in Asheville, NC, distributed locally:

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/main.htm

JOBA RULES
10-12-07, 12:41 PM
ahh the best beer at this time of year is OCTOBERFEST....reminds me of playoffs, halloween all that good stuff..but seriously octoberfest really good beer if you haven't tried it I suggest you should...Word to the wise don't funnel this beer you will be hurtin baddddd

RhodyYanksFan
10-12-07, 12:43 PM
ahh the best beer at this time of year is OCTOBERFEST....reminds me of playoffs, halloween all that good stuff..but seriously octoberfest really good beer if you haven't tried it I suggest you should...Word to the wise don't funnel this beer you will be hurtin baddddd

I love Sam Adams Octoberfest. :gulp:

and a close second is Harpoon's. I used to go to their brewery party for Octoberfest every year. It got a little pricey and dangerous once my friend moved out of Boston, but it was always a good time. I remember in '05 they had it on the Saturday where the Yankees beat Boston and won the tie-breaker for the division. I had my A-Rod shirt on and got cursed at almost as much as I got hit on for being so brave. I also got two free beer tokens for my troubles.

4bronxbombers
10-12-07, 12:48 PM
I was at Stan's Sunday night for Game 3 and the bar was packed (natch) and I was drinking a Sam's because I didn't like any other beer. Man did I catch a ton of sh*t for drinking a "Boston" beer. I ended up foregoing the Sams for Yuengling (sp?) the rest of the eve. :lol:

mentalgidget
10-12-07, 01:01 PM
I was at Stan's Sunday night for Game 3 and the bar was packed (natch) and I was drinking a Sam's because I didn't like any other beer. Man did I catch a ton of sh*t for drinking a "Boston" beer. I ended up foregoing the Sams for Yuengling (sp?) the rest of the eve. :lol:

Man, you would have been screwed if the Yankees advanced all the way and had to play the Phillies!

RhodyYanksFan
10-12-07, 01:02 PM

Yuengling :barf:

4bronxbombers
10-12-07, 01:04 PM

I thought it was ok. You really don't like it? What do you hate about it?

4bronxbombers
10-12-07, 01:05 PM
Man, you would have been screwed if the Yankees advanced all the way and had to play the Phillies!

If they had advanced all the way I would have drank almost anything. ;)

TheDynasty26
10-12-07, 01:05 PM

BLASPHEMY!

Pinstripedbass
10-12-07, 02:19 PM
This week I've been drinking Smithwick's as an appetizer for my Jack & Coke.:gulp:

I've got a lot of issues after this year's first round exit.:D

4bronxbombers
10-12-07, 02:22 PM
This week I've been drinking Smithwick's as an appetizer for my Jack & Coke.:gulp:

Me too. Amen. Maybe I'll try the Smithwick's as an app for the Jack & Coke too. :lol:

I have been doing hot cider with a few shots of Cap't Morgans this week....delish. :D

"The Straw"
10-12-07, 02:25 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/assedout/bezebuth.jpg

RhodyYanksFan
10-12-07, 02:30 PM

Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

YankeeGalSC
10-12-07, 03:21 PM

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.;)

YankeeGalSC
10-12-07, 03:24 PM
Absolutely. Leine's is my new favorite. I would love to try some of the others they have to offer, but none are available East of Ohio (at least according to whoever answered my email at the Brewery).

I bought my husband a couple six packs of the Leine's Sunset Wheat while I was out in Wis. last month. He hasn't drank any yet, but I had one and it's very good.:gulp:

JOBA RULES
10-12-07, 03:26 PM
you know what else is good...brooklyn lager

4bronxbombers
10-12-07, 03:32 PM
you know what else is good...brooklyn lager

I LOVE that stuff! Had some last week. :drool:

Pinstripedbass
10-12-07, 05:17 PM

It all ends up in the same place.;)

JeterForPresident
10-12-07, 08:54 PM
Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.;)

Drink enough of both and you are screwed either way!

bobbymagee
10-13-07, 10:16 AM
Not an expert drinker, Al Kohalik, but have preferences:

1. McSorley's
http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html

2. Yuengling's Dark and Tan

http://www.yuengling.com/

I'm an old soul and didn't suprise me to love classic, long standing beer.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVoQfoU0dQ

YankeeGalSC
10-21-07, 02:15 PM
They just opened a new Buffalo Wild Wings in our area and they had the Leine's Sunset Wheat on draft...it was so good. It's near where our local hockey team plays (ECHL) and we have decided that's where we'll be going prior to games. Leine's in North Chuck, SC...awesome! :gulp:

Jersey Yankee
10-21-07, 02:46 PM
Anybody like Rolling Rock? I had one last night, and I remembered why it was my fave cheap beer.

Before this, I'd had an Amstel Lite, which was pretty good, but I'd preferred the Rolling Rock.

My others are Heineken, Sam Adams, Foster's and that Japanese one in the tough aluminum can.

I'm wondering why women like Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat. Like some pineapple malibu thing, there are some drinks that women like that I could never figure out.

CallOfTheCrow
10-21-07, 05:06 PM
I like the Rolling Rocks.

Anyone happen to go to the Brandywin Brew Festival in PA over the summer? I was there, $30 I believe it was to try all kinds of beer from different microbreweries in the tri-state area.

YankeeGalSC
10-26-07, 08:54 AM
I guess rice beer makes one (elephants) do crazy things:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304309,00.html

RhodyYanksFan
10-26-07, 08:58 AM
I like the Rolling Rocks.

Anyone happen to go to the Brandywin Brew Festival in PA over the summer? I was there, $30 I believe it was to try all kinds of beer from different microbreweries in the tri-state area.

We have the "International Beer Festival" up here in Prov. every 6 months. It's great. $35 for 5 hours and unlimited tastings with over 150 breweries.

4bronxbombers
10-26-07, 09:00 AM
We have the "International Beer Festival" up here in Prov. every 6 months. It's great. $35 for 5 hours and unlimited tastings with over 150 breweries.

I read about that....it sounds like a good time. :gulp:

ShaneTravis
10-26-07, 09:18 AM

http://www.beerfestamerica.com/index.php

And why am I just learning about this? November 10th just got marked.

RhodeyYankee2638
10-26-07, 09:36 AM
http://www.beerfestamerica.com/index.php

And why am I just learning about this? November 10th just got marked.

got my tickets early, thing sells out quickly

MTYankee23
10-26-07, 09:42 AM
The one I went to last November was an absolute madhouse. I'm not sure if the afternoon session was less crowded.

Anyone know of a good Brewery/Beer Pub in the Buffalo/Niagara areas?

DanB
01-27-08, 05:53 PM
Boddingtons is just too darn good!

Tyler Durden
01-27-08, 06:33 PM
My personal favorite is Yuengling Traditional Lager, but since it's not sold anywhere in CT or MA, I've had to settle for Sam Adams Seasonals (Winter Lager, Octoberfest, etc.). I've also never met anyone that didn't like Killian's Irish Red. It's sort of like the Toyota Camry of beers; reliable but not inspiring.

apolansk
01-27-08, 06:36 PM
My current favorites are Chimay Blue and La Fin du Monde.

I just bought another beer, Maudite, from Unibroue, the company that brews La Fin du Monde. But I haven't tried it yet.

wexy
01-27-08, 07:02 PM
I tried a Pork Slap Pale Ale Today at this BBQ place in Ft. Greene.

Jace
01-27-08, 10:01 PM
90 minute IPA by dogfish head is the greatest beer alive. Actually 120 minute is even better, but its impossible to find and about $8 a bottle or so

RhodyYanksFan
01-27-08, 10:17 PM
90 minute IPA by dogfish head is the greatest beer alive. Actually 120 minute is even better, but its impossible to find and about $8 a bottle or so

I love the 90 minute stuff too. It's only for special occasions though. I'm not in a position to regularly buy $9 4-packs of beer.

I like their Indian Brown Ale too.

Yankees13
01-27-08, 10:19 PM
My personal favorites are Guinness, Blue Moon, and Newcastle Brown Ale. Usually stuck drinking piss beer though.

apolansk
01-28-08, 08:55 PM
My current favorites are Chimay Blue and La Fin du Monde.

I just bought another beer, Maudite, from Unibroue, the company that brews La Fin du Monde. But I haven't tried it yet.

Drinking the Maudite now, its a little too bitter for me. But still it's pretty good, I would drink it again, but not if given the choice between this and La Fin du Monde.

JDPNYY
01-28-08, 09:00 PM
I think hops are kinda cool.

Jace
01-28-08, 09:24 PM
I love the 90 minute stuff too. It's only for special occasions though. I'm not in a position to regularly buy $9 4-packs of beer.

Yeah, its expensive as hell. I dont really know where to find it in Manhattan, though, so anytime I see it I buy it. The thing is that its essentially 2 beers in one (9% alcohol), so the value isn't as bad as it looks

Try Raison D'Etre, I like it even more than the Indian Brown Ale (which is solid)

mitchrock
01-29-08, 01:27 PM
Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball is outstanding, chocolate hints with a hoppy finish.

Jersey Yankee
01-29-08, 08:52 PM

I can't find out where they sell that thing. Even their website doesn't show any specific dealers for this.

http://www.dogfish.com/

RhodyYanksFan
01-30-08, 11:01 AM
Try Raison D'Etre, I like it even more than the Indian Brown Ale (which is solid)

I've only had it on tap. Never bought a 6 pack of it. I like the IBA better.

This is usually the time of year my favorite beer is out. Magic Hat Ravell...but they don't bottle it anymore. Only comes in drums. I can't wait to have a house so I can get a kegerator for it.

ShaneTravis
01-30-08, 11:11 AM
Magic Hat Roxy Rolls sitting in the fridge. A 1/2 gallon growler of winter amber goodness.

powerpinstripes
01-30-08, 11:18 AM
I went to the Cask/Ale festival last Saturday at the Blue Point Brewery in Patchogue, LI. It was awesome. I had some great beers. Lots of breweries represented. Ipswich, Brooklyn, Captain Lawrence, SouthHampton and of course Blue Point to name a few. A merry time was had by all on the bus trip from NJ.

yankeesAZ
01-30-08, 12:16 PM
Hate to say this but beer prices will be going up in the near future due to a shortage of hops.

YankeeGalSC
01-30-08, 12:40 PM
Found this site when I did a search on "kegerator":

http://www.kegerator.net/index.php?file=all_time_1.php&PHPSESSID=95105f4db9adaa3205c7ce8ecbcbe68d

5OClockLighting
01-30-08, 10:00 PM
If you like barley wines, Split Thy Skull is coming up at Mugs Ale House. March 8 & 9. Bedford Stop on the L in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
http://www.mugsalehouse.com/
Always a good time.

mitchrock
01-31-08, 06:19 PM
If you like barley wines, Split Thy Skull is coming up at Mugs Ale House. March 8 & 9. Bedford Stop on the L in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
http://www.mugsalehouse.com/
Always a good time.

Hape it makes it to the West Coast. Love Barley Wines.

West Texas
01-31-08, 06:20 PM
Hape it makes it to the West Coast. Love Barley Wines.
Gives you strength to hunt the chupacabras, right??:lol:

4bronxbombers
01-31-08, 06:30 PM
Hate to say this but beer prices will be going up in the near future due to a shortage of hops.

Sadness. :(

CallOfTheCrow
01-31-08, 06:32 PM
Im a Magic Hat fan.

apolansk
01-31-08, 06:34 PM
Im a Magic Hat fan.

#9 is quite good.

4bronxbombers
01-31-08, 08:27 PM
Im a Magic Hat fan.

I like Magic Hat. Good stuff.

CallOfTheCrow
01-31-08, 08:38 PM
Yeah #9 is definitely a good one. Fat Angel....I think thats what it's called? That's a good one too, it's by the Magic Hat company.

4bronxbombers
01-31-08, 08:39 PM
Yeah #9 is definitely a good one. Fat Angel....I think thats what it's called? That's a good one too, it's by the Magic Hat company.

I'm not familiar with Fat Angel but I'll be on the look-out for it.

Speaking of Angel...I wonder where he's been. :confused:

CallOfTheCrow
01-31-08, 08:41 PM
I'm not familiar with Fat Angel but I'll be on the look-out for it.

Speaking of Angel...I wonder where he's been. :confused:

Ehhhhhhhhh who?

4bronxbombers
01-31-08, 08:42 PM
Ehhhhhhhhh who?

Don'tHateOn#2......:P

CallOfTheCrow
01-31-08, 08:44 PM
Don'tHateOn#2......:P

Ah. Yeah I still don't know (even though there's a thread for it) most people's names.

Jim F.
02-02-08, 02:24 AM
I went to the Cask/Ale festival last Saturday at the Blue Point Brewery in Patchogue, LI. It was awesome. I had some great beers. Lots of breweries represented. Ipswich, Brooklyn, Captain Lawrence, SouthHampton and of course Blue Point to name a few. A merry time was had by all on the bus trip from NJ.
Cloverleaf?

Jim F.
02-02-08, 02:31 AM
I haven't kept up with this thread (my fave on this forum!), but the Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA has pretty much ruined beer for me. I generally don't like the super-hoppy beers, but I liked the 60 minute. So I figured I'd try the 90 minute. I can't believe anyone drinks that voluntarily. I've tasted some awful, hideous, disgusting things in my life, but that without question tops the list. I've been afraid of trying anything different recently because of it. In fact, I couldn't even finish the sixer of the 60 minute I got without flashbacks to that horrid taste I had in my mouth after only 1/3 of a glass of the 90 minute. I can't even begin to imagine the vile-ness (is that even a word?) of the 120 minute.

Anyone want the 3 remaining 90 minute IPAs from the 4-pack?

I could have had my dog piss in the bottle, and it would probably have tasted better once chilled.

Blech... it's been weeks now, and it's still haunting my taste buds...

That said, I'm drinking the Sierra Nevada 2008 ESB as I type this and I love it. I also bought a sixer of the Smuttynose IPA tonight and love what I've had so far.

Surprised I'm still drinking beer at all after that 90-minute IPA, to be honest.

-JF

Jersey Yankee
02-02-08, 05:09 AM
I haven't kept up with this thread (my fave on this forum!), but the Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA has pretty much ruined beer for me. I generally don't like the super-hoppy beers, but I liked the 60 minute. So I figured I'd try the 90 minute. I can't believe anyone drinks that voluntarily. I've tasted some awful, hideous, disgusting things in my life, but that without question tops the list. I've been afraid of trying anything different recently because of it. In fact, I couldn't even finish the sixer of the 60 minute I got without flashbacks to that horrid taste I had in my mouth after only 1/3 of a glass of the 90 minute. I can't even begin to imagine the vile-ness (is that even a word?) of the 120 minute.

Anyone want the 3 remaining 90 minute IPAs from the 4-pack?

I could have had my dog piss in the bottle, and it would probably have tasted better once chilled.

Blech... it's been weeks now, and it's still haunting my taste buds...

That said, I'm drinking the Sierra Nevada 2008 ESB as I type this and I love it. I also bought a sixer of the Smuttynose IPA tonight and love what I've had so far.

Surprised I'm still drinking beer at all after that 90-minute IPA, to be honest.

-JF
Jim, you may be a sweet guy and all, but don't you dare let George #1PA hear you complain about beer. He may have you RO'd & DFA'd!!! :gulp::O :P

Pinstripedbass
02-03-08, 09:37 AM
I had some Six Point last night. Sweet Action Ale. Starts out light and fruity but finishes with a hop flavor. Very easy to drink. A little TOO easy.;)

montrealer
02-03-08, 09:43 AM
Today will be Molson Dry......no Guinness in a Italian Bistro......

GravyMaster3
02-03-08, 09:48 AM
You will see that in the micros, but the big companies (ie, Anheuser Busch) own their own hop farms so the shortage won't really affect those products. Micros like Victory and Otter Creek went up $2 a case last month and other lines such as Magic Hat, Red Hook, Ommegang, Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are following suit this month. Sucks, but people who seek out these brews are going to pay whatever it costs.

ShaneTravis
02-03-08, 11:37 AM
-JF

On that endorsement I went an bought a six of Sierra 2008 ESB. I like all their products so probably not going to be disappointed.

I live above a gourmet/specialty store that carries crazy selection of beers from pretty much all over the world. I go downstairs and boom there is that
ESB just staring at me. Of course so it won't be lonely in the fridge I took the six of Toasted lager next to it.

mitchrock
02-03-08, 01:46 PM
Gives you strength to hunt the chupacabras, right??:lol:

Was actually drinking Coronas while chupacabra hunting. Had to fit in the locale.

In Mo I Trust
02-03-08, 01:47 PM
There will be lots of Guinness flowing today for the big game, can't wait.

mitchrock
02-04-08, 01:39 PM
Tried Alesmith's Old Numbskull Barley Wine on Friday. An okay barley wine, not worth the $9.99 per bottle price.

MonicaRFNY
02-04-08, 04:13 PM

-JF

That's how I feel about all beer. I have yet to find any beer that really does it for me. And trust me, I have done lots and lots of research! I must say, though, that some of the beers mentioned in this thread I have never even heard of. I think I should start doing some more research...

DeeptooRight
02-09-08, 11:53 AM
I'm a big porter and a once in a while lager guy....

5OClockLighting
03-01-08, 05:27 PM
http://mugsalehouse.com/upcomingevents/splitthybrooklynskull.html

Next week!

CallOfTheCrow
03-01-08, 05:28 PM
bought some blue moon spring season. Good stuff.

RhodyYanksFan
03-10-08, 09:21 AM
Bump.

powerpinstripes
03-10-08, 11:33 AM
Cloverleaf?

Hey Jim, Sorry, I haven't been in this thread for a while. The bus trip had folks from the Cloverleaf, The Office, and Andy's Corner Bar. Wild times.

powerpinstripes
03-10-08, 11:34 AM
Sam Adams White Ale is out and it is Yummy stuff...

mentalgidget
03-10-08, 11:36 AM
Once again to my fellow RI / MA beer enthusiasts.
The 2008 Spring Great American Beer Fest is scheduled for April 12, 2008 at the Rhode Island Convention Center.
Afternoon show and evening show.

I'll be at the afternoon event.

www.beerfestamerica.com (http://www.beerfestamerica.com)

pjfan
03-10-08, 11:47 AM

I picked up a 6 pack of that the other night. It's pretty good.

I've been getting the Long Trail BlackBeary's lately. I'm not usually one for fruity beers, but this stuff is good.

Had a couple tall NewCastle's the other night. I always enjoy them.

When I'm out for the long-haul, I stick with good ol' Miller Lite. It never lets me down.

YankeeGalSC
03-10-08, 12:33 PM
While I do appreciate the occasional import I'm a Mich Ultra fan. Currently I drink the cactus/lime version.

CallOfTheCrow
03-10-08, 12:35 PM
Mich Ultra is good, Coors Light is a go-to brew for me.

RhodyYanksFan
03-10-08, 12:39 PM
Once again to my fellow RI / MA beer enthusiasts.
The 2008 Spring Great American Beer Fest is scheduled for April 12, 2008 at the Rhode Island Convention Center.
Afternoon show and evening show.

I'll be at the afternoon event.

www.beerfestamerica.com (http://www.beerfestamerica.com)

Well worth the entrance price. Although after about an hour and a half it all tastes the same :lol:

Last year we had to go to Trinity Brewhouse to sober up afterwards. How often can you say you went to a bar to sober up?

ShaneTravis
03-10-08, 12:44 PM
You know what might be a good idea?

If we could somehow have an online tasting within this thread. It would introduce new labels and put us on a scavenger hunt to find posters suggestions.

Example: April is Stout month and we post all the favorites and brief description.

---Had the Rogue Shakespeare Stout out of Oregon. Strong, rich and creamy with chocolate (lite and dark) hints and drinks incredibly smooth.

Had it with Blue Point oysters and it was top notch.

Or something to that affect.

4bronxbombers
03-10-08, 02:52 PM
I picked up a 6 pack of that the other night. It's pretty good.

I've been getting the Long Trail BlackBeary's lately. I'm not usually one for fruity beers, but this stuff is good.

Had a couple tall NewCastle's the other night. I always enjoy them.

When I'm out for the long-haul, I stick with good ol' Miller Lite. It never lets me down.

NewCastle is my fav.

WashingtonYankee
03-10-08, 02:55 PM
bought some blue moon spring season. Good stuff.

Horrible stuff.

JeterForPresident
03-10-08, 02:59 PM
While I do appreciate the occasional import I'm a Mich Ultra fan. Currently I drink the cactus/lime version.

I like the Mich Ultra, and saw the flavored versions somewhere, but havent picked them up yet. I don't know if you have tried Miller Chill, but is the lime Mich similar if you have tasted both? And in general how much different is the lime from the original.

YankeeGalSC
03-11-08, 10:43 AM
I have not tried the Miller chill.

I saw an orange flavor and pomegranate flavor of Ultra in the store yesterday. I heard the pomegranate is good.

dabomb2045
03-11-08, 08:05 PM

I love the White Ale....definetly my beer of choice when I'm at a bar. Yuengling is always my backup plan if a place doesnt have the white.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-08, 01:05 PM
Top 10 selling beers in America. :lol: at #5

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23632016?photo=1

Cattledog
03-15-08, 01:30 PM
GUINNESS! AND ONLY GUINNESS! I hope to see the new stadium sell it, so I can actually get the beer I want. Hell, they could strap an i.v. to my arm of Guinness and I would be a very happy man. :gulp:

YASS
03-15-08, 01:43 PM
Anybody ever had a Caffrey's Irish Ale?

A friend of mine came back from a trip to the U.K. a few years ago raving about it, but before I could taste it, Coors bought the brewery and stopped distributing it in the U.S. to protect the sales of its preferred Irish brand Killian's.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-15-08, 03:27 PM
Top 10 selling beers in America. :lol: at #5

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23632016?photo=1

Helping college kids get smashed for cheap

mithrill
03-15-08, 03:55 PM
drink belgian beer, over 800 kinds of beer, take yer pick
mostly i drink
gouden carolus http://www.hetanker.be/nl/bieren/index.php really strong
duvel http://www.duvel.be/ strong beer
hoegaarden http://www.twitgebrouw.be/ white beer not that stong
stella
westamalle tripel
leffe http://www.leffe.be/index.html?PHPSESSID=ea983de8e774805a89900a530d049423

so much more can't write them all, hehe

mithrill
03-15-08, 03:56 PM
mostly i drink
stella
westamalle tripel

p.s. HEINEKEN SUCKS, its water with some foam on it,

In Mo I Trust
03-15-08, 03:59 PM
Yeah Heineken is extremely overrated.

YASS
03-15-08, 04:54 PM
mostly i drink
stella
westamalle tripel

I'm a big Stella fan.

4bronxbombers
03-16-08, 11:54 AM
Was drinking Harp on tap last night. Good stuff. :gulp:

StatenIslandYankee
03-16-08, 12:22 PM
Had so much beer last night ... OH MAN!

Boogiedown Bomber
03-16-08, 12:32 PM
Had so much beer last night ... OH MAN!

I bet you are paying for it in the bathroom eh? That's why I don't drink so much beer at one time like I used to. The beer sh*tes are awful!

StatenIslandYankee
03-16-08, 01:11 PM
I bet you are paying for it in the bathroom eh? That's why I don't drink so much beer at one time like I used to. The beer sh*tes are awful!Plus we went to WHITE CASTLE afterwards ... my stomach is destroyed ... but I had a blast. Can't complain.

chanman7483
03-16-08, 01:39 PM
mostly i drink
stella
westamalle tripel

Duvel is a great strong beer... anyone who works in or frequents times Square should go to BXL on 43rd b/t 6th and bway. Great Belgium beers on tap, including Duvel

chanman7483
03-16-08, 01:53 PM
This thread reminds me of this commercial... http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEWtTVaIH0M

montrealer
03-17-08, 06:53 AM
copious amounts of Guinness was comsumed yesterday....

montrealer
03-17-08, 06:54 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uOZyGHQ_7h8

fredgmuggs
03-17-08, 07:04 AM
Was drinking Harp on tap last night. Good stuff. :gulp:Harp really isn't an Irish beer anymore. Unless you were drinking the export version (which on tap, I doubt) the majority of the Harp we drink in the states is made in Canada now.;)

RhodyYanksFan
03-17-08, 08:13 AM
p.s. HEINEKEN SUCKS, its water with some foam on it,

QFT...I hate that stuff.

4bronxbombers
03-17-08, 10:00 AM
Harp really isn't an Irish beer anymore. Unless you were drinking the export version (which on tap, I doubt) the majority of the Harp we drink in the states is made in Canada now.;)

I never thought it was Irish beer. I've always liked Harp but it was great on tap.

ShaneTravis
05-01-08, 01:42 PM
A couple of months ago I made a promise that I would crack open one of my Fantôme Saison D'Erezée.

My favorite style of beer is a Saison. A farmhouse ale, very strong around 8% a little sour for my taste but fantastic.

wexy
05-01-08, 01:52 PM
Iwas in some Czech lesbian bar last week and some Czech beer that I hadn't tried before.

RhodyYanksFan
05-01-08, 02:30 PM
Iwas in some Czech lesbian bar last week and some Czech beer that I hadn't tried before.

In NY or actually in the Czech?

wexy
05-01-08, 02:40 PM
In NY or actually in the Czech?

It was in Astoria, I was going to see my friend in an off off Broadway Musical and I wandered in because I needed something to eat before the show. They had good kielbasa.

ShaneTravis
05-01-08, 02:45 PM
They had good kielbasa.

At a lesbian bar?

RhodyYanksFan
05-01-08, 02:46 PM
At a lesbian bar?

:roflmao:

wexy
05-01-08, 02:55 PM
At a lesbian bar?
Multipurpose

4bronxbombers
05-01-08, 03:38 PM
At a lesbian bar?

:lol: awesome

YankeeGalSC
05-01-08, 04:45 PM
Speaking of beer, I will either celebrating a victory or drowning my sorrows if the Rangers lose and a lot of it will be involved. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ShaneTravis
05-02-08, 01:28 PM
For all you California people I had a Lagunitas Pils on draft last night. Rockin' Czech style Pilsener.

Boogiedown Bomber
05-03-08, 08:13 AM
For all you California people I had a Lagunitas Pils on draft last night. Rockin' Czech style Pilsener.

Have you tried the Lagunitas IPA? I had it in DC, and I really liked it.

ShaneTravis
05-03-08, 10:12 AM
Have you tried the Lagunitas IPA? I had it in DC, and I really liked it.

Very nice IPA. If you ever want a big huge IPA from California find Green Flash IPA. It's out of Northern California and pretty hoppy stuff.

Boogiedown Bomber
05-03-08, 11:46 AM
Very nice IPA. If you ever want a big huge IPA from California find Green Flash IPA. It's out of Northern California and pretty hoppy stuff.

I have been hearing alot of buzz regarding the Green Flash IPA. I'll check it out. Cheers! :gulp:

ShaneTravis
05-03-08, 12:20 PM
I have the Green Flash on draft and people flip over it. That brewery is on the upswing. I heard they stole the assistant brewmaster at Stone down in San D. and the guy is making huge strides. All of their products are damn good.

Pinstripedbass
05-09-08, 05:32 AM
I had some Hacker-Pschorr light yesterday. Delicious. :gulp:

SalingerNY
08-10-08, 02:08 PM
Anyone tried Lienenkugel's new Sunset Wheat beer? I think they must be pushing it like crazy, because I see it just about everywhere now. I tried some recently - pretty decent.

Casey37
08-10-08, 02:28 PM
I had some Hacker-Pschorr light yesterday. Delicious. :gulp:

Agreed. I had a couple last week and absolutely loved it.

GravyMaster3
08-11-08, 08:07 PM
Anyone tried Lienenkugel's new Sunset Wheat beer? I think they must be pushing it like crazy, because I see it just about everywhere now. I tried some recently - pretty decent.
I thought it was awful and I love wheat beers. Tastes like Fruit Loops.

SalingerNY
08-11-08, 08:13 PM
I thought it was awful and I love wheat beers. Tastes like Fruit Loops.

Oh it's definitely fruity. What's your favorite wheat beer?

mgpenguin
08-11-08, 08:32 PM
I've been drinking a lot of Sierra Nevada Anniversary 2008 lately. I usually don't go for the more bitter beers, but I love this one.

mitchrock
08-12-08, 11:58 AM
Drinking Maui's Big Swell IPA. Good stuff. Also picked up a 6er of Lagunitas Sirius. Haven't tapped into those bottles yet.

Steve Dalkowski
08-12-08, 12:01 PM
Agreed. I had a couple last week and absolutely loved it.Have you tried Augustiner? The best of the big 6 German beers. Give it a try - Whole Foods downtown sells it.

GravyMaster3
08-12-08, 12:02 PM
Oh it's definitely fruity. What's your favorite wheat beer?
Hoegaarden. LOVE it.

chanman7483
08-12-08, 03:55 PM
Hoegaarden. LOVE it.

That and Sam Adams summer ale make up 90% of my beer consumption this summer

GravyMaster3
08-12-08, 07:34 PM
That and Sam Adams summer ale make up 90% of my beer consumption this summer
Not good for the waistline but good call on both.

SpinHouse247
08-14-08, 01:52 PM
Warsteiner, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden and lastly when broke Budweiser.

Casey37
08-14-08, 02:30 PM
Have you tried Augustiner? The best of the big 6 German beers. Give it a try - Whole Foods downtown sells it.

I definitely will. Thanks for the heads up.

montrealer
08-14-08, 05:06 PM
http://www.english-shop.de/images/murphyscan.jpg

Had a few of these last week..............bit sweeter than Guinness but I`d drink it again.

penfold
08-14-08, 05:38 PM
http://www.english-shop.de/images/murphyscan.jpg

Had a few of these last week..............bit sweeter than Guinness but I`d drink it again.

Call me weird -- or call me nostalgic... but I remember liking Murphy's on tap more than Guinness on tap when in London -- but I also remember liking Guinness on tap more than Murphy's on tap in Ireland. Guinness admits to tweaking their formula for export and I do believe that they consider the island of Great Britain to be export. I'm not so sure about Northern Ireland, though.

Regardless, they were both tasty. They go very well with smoked salmon or lamb. Essentially, a food with a strong flavor that can stand up to a stout.

bobbymagee
08-14-08, 10:17 PM
Sam Adams Summer Ale , Mich Ultra and Amber Bock sooth a wither Soul:-whistle-

THEBOSS84
08-14-08, 10:23 PM
Anyone ever have a beer called Modelo? I'm drinking one right now. Pretty good. Mexican.

bobbymagee
08-14-08, 10:25 PM
Anyone ever have a beer called Modelo? I'm drinking one right now. Pretty good. Mexican.

Yeah, sell dat stuff in fla. Do you have an orange slice or lemon slice in it?

THEBOSS84
08-14-08, 10:26 PM
Yeah, sell dat stuff in fla. Do you have an orange slice or lemon slice in it?

Nope, it's naked. I don't have any fruit in the house right now.

ShaneTravis
08-14-08, 10:34 PM

Modela Especial is not bad. The Negra is good.

Don't bother putting fruit in beer unless it's skunked.

THEBOSS84
08-14-08, 10:35 PM
Modela Especial is not bad. The Negro is good.

I went to 711 and made a 6-pack of both the especial and the negra. I'll try the negra as soon as I'm done with this puppy.

bobbymagee
08-14-08, 10:39 PM
Modela Especial is not bad. The Negro is good.

Dear Sir,
What do you mean by skunked? Are you inferring that you leave beer around long enough to make it go bad?

Sincerely,

Me

ShaneTravis
08-14-08, 10:41 PM
I went to 711 and made a 6-pack of both the especial and the negra. I'll try the negra as soon as I'm done with this puppy.

It's Pacifica Clara right? They made a beer called Victoria. Nice and light beer. I think it is their national beer.

ShaneTravis
08-14-08, 10:42 PM
Dear Sir,
What do you mean by skunked? Are you inferring that you leave beer around long enough to make it go bad?

Sincerely,

Me

“Whoa! This beer is skunked!” is probably something you've heard before, uttered by someone who was probably drinking a green-bottled Heineken. And from the guy who thinks he knows something about beer: “That's because it's in a green bottle, dood.”

Not quite, junior beer guru. That so-called “skunked” character has nothing to do with green bottles, or any color bottles. True, some beer bottle colors are more susceptible to being what's called “light-struck,” however, the whole idea that the color is the cause is completely wrong.

What does light-struck mean?
This is when the beer has been exposed to ultraviolet light for a period of time. Hop-derived molecules, called isohumulones, are basically ripped apart. Some of these parts bind with sulfur atoms to create that “skunk” character, which is similar in character to a skunk's natural defense and is such a potent compound that parts-per-trillion can be detected and even ruin a beer. Although brown bottles aid in protecting beer from being light-struck, it hardly makes the beer invincible. Green or clear bottles provide little to no protection. And it's been said that bottled beer can become light-struck in less than one minute in bright sun, after a few hours in diffuse daylight, and in a few days under normal fluorescent lighting.

This light-struck condition is often to blame for a skunked beer. Many popular imports are distributed in green bottles. Pair the two, mix with misinformation and an inexperienced palate, and the common belief becomes that if beer is in a green bottle, it has to be skunked.

Yeah, but everything I drink from (a green bottled, imported beer) tastes skunked.
Well, it's not like there's an international conspiracy by the brewery to expose all of its beer to being light-struck before being sold. Breweries are not in the business to sell spoiled beer. And did you ever consider that that's the how the beer was intended to smell and taste? The natural and often times wanted sulfur character produced by certain strains of lager yeast, under certain beer style brewing conditions, does not make a skunked beer. Nor does a pungent hop character that you might not be used to. Don't confuse these characteristics with being skunked, as it's not always the case.

Yeah, but it's always skunky in the bottle and not the keg.
Drinking from the bottle is a more concentrated experience. Drinking from a glass allows the beer's characters to become more volatile, thus a less concentrated experience. It doesn't necessarily mean that the beer in the bottle is skunked.

How can I avoid skunked beers?
Simple. Don't buy beer on display, don't buy beer in a cooler that is brightly lit and don't leave your beer exposed to light.

So there you have it. Just remember that before you give up on a beer and write it off as being skunked, keep in mind that there's a lot more that could be going on, and that perception of characters is highly subjective. What you might call skunked due to lack of knowledge could be a tasty German-style Pils to another.

Respect beer.

---my buds at beer Advocate

THEBOSS84
08-14-08, 10:43 PM
It's Pacifica Clara right? They made a beer called Victoria. Nice and light beer. I think it is their national beer.

Not sure what Pacifica Clara is...it doesn't say that anywhere on the bottle.

ShaneTravis
08-14-08, 10:47 PM
Not sure what Pacifica Clara is...it doesn't say that anywhere on the bottle.

My bad. Groupo Modella make Negra,Corona,Victoria and Pacifica Clara. I switched it up.

chanman7483
08-15-08, 12:54 AM
This whole skunking thing - is it just heavier lager types? Corona seems to do well in the sun

Drank a 22 of Blue moon from the bottle and realized how bland it is w/o the orange slice

ShaneTravis
08-25-08, 10:13 AM
#1 Don't put fruit in your beer. If the brewer intended to have fruit in the beer it would be in the brewing process. Having an orange slice or lemon in the beer is basically garnish and draws attention to beer. While it looks pretty it kills the head.

Blue Moon is a Macro brew that is okay. But Molson Coors that makes it really aren't a company you look to for authentic Witbier's.

Blue Moon alternatives:

Ommegang Witte*
Flying Dog Woody Creek White
Victory Whirwind Wit
Allagash White*
Bells Winter White
South Hampton Double White
Middle Ages Swallow Wit

*Both are Belgian Style Brewers and excellent representation of style.

DEADSOX
08-25-08, 11:05 AM
Some of my favorites:

New Castle
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Dogfish head 90 minute IPA
Duck Rabbit Milk Stout
Blue Dog Bluberry Lager
Yuengling (the best "cheap" beer out there)
Killians Irish Red
Honey Brown

ShaneTravis
11-15-08, 11:44 PM
Just poured a Hop Back out of Troegs.

Amazing. A light Amber with hop finish.

ShaneTravis
11-22-08, 12:05 AM
Drinking Hibernation Ale out of Great Divide Brewery---It's aged 3 months and tastes like cocoa and roasted malts. At 8.1% Abv. there is a good chance I may pass out on keyboard.

RhodyYanksFan
11-22-08, 09:08 AM
Drinking Hibernation Ale out of Great Divide Brewery---It's aged 3 months and tastes like cocoa and roasted malts. At 8.1% Abv. there is a good chance I may pass out on keyboard.

That sounds awesome. I think Long Trail has a Hibernation Ale too.

I think I'll pick up a Sam Winter Mix pack because it's the only place to get Old Fezziwig Ale which IMO is their best beer. Sadly those mix packs also come with Cherry Lambic or as I like to call it puke flavored NyQuill.

dabomb2045
11-22-08, 07:03 PM
I love Sam Summer Ale and Octoberfest....but I really dont like the Winter Ale

mgpenguin
11-22-08, 09:37 PM
Long Trail Harvest is a damn fine beer. So are the various Magic Hat beers (I'm a big fan of #9 and Circus Boy during the summer). I'm also a big fan of Rogue Dead Guy and Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn Lager, and Arrogant Bastard, among others. Finally, I recently had Dogfish Head's Raison d'etre, which I really liked (except for the impact on my wallet).

ShaneTravis
11-22-08, 10:05 PM
Long Trail Harvest is a damn fine beer. So are the various Magic Hat beers (I'm a big fan of #9 and Circus Boy during the summer). I'm also a big fan of Rogue Dead Guy and Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn Lager, and Arrogant Bastard, among others. Finally, I recently had Dogfish Head's Raison d'etre, which I really liked (except for the impact on my wallet).

I just bought Roxy Rolls out of Magic Hat---put it on tap and can't wait for the deleciousness.

I also have Rogue Dad's Little Helper on draft---malt liquor at 7.1% it is way too smooth.

Pinstripedbass
01-01-09, 09:11 AM
I tried some Cooper's Sparkling Ale last night. Bought it at a distributor. It's an Australian brand. Tastes like Molson Export. I highly reccomend it.

Barb51850
01-01-09, 10:23 AM
I'm lucky. I live near the last authentic beer garden in New York City. This site describes it. Scroll down to read about the beers that are available. What a fun place this is! If you like beer, it is worth a visit.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11349776/astoria_ny/bohemian_hall_beer_garden.html

More here:

http://www.bohemianhall.com/home.htm

In Mo I Trust
01-01-09, 10:29 AM
I had the Founder's Breakfast Stout for the first time last night, fantastic.

Pinstripedbass
03-14-09, 09:43 PM
I had a Negra Modelo Dark beer for the first time. Very tasty.

Anyone else ever try Negra Modelo?

26 and counting
03-14-09, 10:27 PM
I had a Negra Modelo Dark beer for the first time. Very tasty.

Anyone else ever try Negra Modelo?

I just tried Modelo especial for the first time tonight. Very good. Similar to a Corona, and I like this one better.

As a matter of fact, I'm just about to start my 3rd one.:gulp:

CallOfTheCrow
03-15-09, 02:29 PM
Saranac Irish Red Ale. Anyone drink this? Becoming a favorite of mine.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-09, 02:30 PM
Saranac Irish Red Ale. Anyone drink this? Becoming a favorite of mine.

Ooh, I didn't know they made an Irish Red. I'll have to check it out. Back when I was underage I loved Killians.

CallOfTheCrow
03-15-09, 02:33 PM
It's really good. I found this at our store the other day & bought a couple 6 packs.

ChinMusic
03-15-09, 05:08 PM
Theakston Old Peculier

Young's Ramrod Ale

SalingerNY
03-15-09, 05:10 PM
Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I had one the other night that was phenomenal. I've been meaning to see if I can track it down at a local store and just haven't had the chance.

mgpenguin
03-15-09, 05:39 PM
I've been drinking a lot of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout lately. It's sooo good.

Boogiedown Bomber
03-21-09, 08:31 AM
Has anyone tried Kentucky Breakfast Stout?

ShaneTravis
03-21-09, 11:08 AM
Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I had one the other night that was phenomenal. I've been meaning to see if I can track it down at a local store and just haven't had the chance.

Deschutes is no joke. Where you live that you found that. Almost positive they don't ship East.

Oregon brewery and top notch.

ShaneTravis
03-21-09, 11:11 AM

Boogie you live in Ireland. Ain't no way you have Michigan Beer there.

Never tried it, let me know how it tasted.

In Mo I Trust
03-21-09, 11:16 AM

It's fantastic. I'll probably have it on draft at some point in the near future, it's great but at $20+ for a 4 pack it is pricey.

Steve Dalkowski
05-09-09, 09:39 PM
It was mentioned upthread, but I'll second the good reviews of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. This stuff is potent, too.

bobbymagee
05-10-09, 09:07 AM
Samuel Adams Summer Ale.... Anybody try some of this yummy concoction !!! I'm gonna stock up on the shtuff for the winter... drink 8.... store 16..... ;) It gives me a rest for over indulging Smithwick's

pjfan
05-10-09, 10:31 AM
Sam's Summer is one of my faves.

12 pack of PBR's last night. Good and cheap.....my favorite combo :D

bobbymagee
05-10-09, 11:05 AM
Sam's Summer is one of my faves.

12 pack of PBR's last night. Good and cheap.....my favorite combo :D

PBR= ? Could it be Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Trish
05-10-09, 11:07 AM
Blue Point Toasted Lager :drool:

ShaneTravis
05-10-09, 11:28 AM
I bought a Belzebuth last night. One 8.4 oz. bottle cost me 6 bucks.

It's got a 13% Abv though so it has a kick. A blond ale out of France.

Pretty rare to get and not worth it. lol

RhodyYanksFan
05-10-09, 01:49 PM
PBR= ? Could it be Pabst Blue Ribbon?

It better be. That is the best cheap beer out there.

SalingerNY
06-15-09, 11:39 PM
I'm enjoying an Arrogant Bastard Ale right now.

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

yankeesAZ
06-15-09, 11:47 PM
It was mentioned upthread, but I'll second the good reviews of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. This stuff is potent, too.

Live right down the street from one of their satellite breweries. Great beer.

DEADSOX
06-16-09, 12:05 AM

Dead Guy is my favorite beer, I absolutely love it. It can get you pretty messed up for sure! There's also a Double Dead Guy Ale, I've had it once before, but it seems pretty rare. There is an alehouse here in Richmond that has ~300 beers and they will get it in every once in a while. It's really good too. I haven't tried a Rogue beer I didn't like though.

I recently tried two new ones: Dogfish Head 120 minutes IPA. This was BRUTAL! If you like hops to the extreme you'll love this beer. Careful though, you drink one and you're fu*ked up, its 20% ABV.

I also tried a Dogfish Head Midas Touch, a beer that was made to recreate the alcoholic beverages they drank back in ancient Egypt! It was really sweet, but smooth, good stuff.

RhodyYanksFan
06-16-09, 07:34 AM
Went to Cooperstown last weekend and checked out both the Cooperstown Brewing Co. and Ommegang Brewery. I know Ommegang is highly recommended but I'm more laid back. I like American style ales more than Belgian. I bought a mix 12 pack at Cooperstown. All their beers were really good. At Ommegang I bought 2 750ml bottles. One of their Abbey Ale and one of Three Philosophers which is 9.5% and still sweet. The rest of theirs were too wheaty for me.

ShaneTravis
06-16-09, 08:23 AM
Stopped in the Grey Dog cafe and they had River Horse ale on draft.

Something NJ can be proud of.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-05-11, 02:18 PM
QUESTION!

Does anyone know of a good beer, from Manchester, England, that would be readily available here in the States? Thanks in advance. :D

Yankee Tripper
05-05-11, 04:20 PM
QUESTION!

Does anyone know of a good beer, from Manchester, England, that would be readily available here in the States? Thanks in advance. :D
Boddingtons?

ShaneTravis
05-05-11, 04:45 PM
JW Lees has stuff over here. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Name a type or flavor and maybe I can recommend something similar from an independent craft brewery here in the states.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-05-11, 06:36 PM
JW Lees has stuff over here. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Name a type or flavor and maybe I can recommend something similar from an independent craft brewery here in the states.

Any lager or ale is fine. A good friend of mine has just been fiending for a taste of a Manchester brew.