PDA

View Full Version : The Beer Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Bill3757
01-18-07, 04:02 PM
Didn't have time to read all the comments, but I have to say that anyone who is serious about beer should try an ice cold HARP before they die. It is made by Guinness but it is their lager beer. You sit at a good steak house with a cold tap Harp and a great steak, most guys wouldn't know if they were sitting across the table from Carmen Electra, well if they were beer drinkers they wouldn't, well maybe they would, I mean I would, oh forget it .try a HARP<wink>

CallOfTheCrow
01-18-07, 07:15 PM
Harp is delicious.

Boogiedown Bomber
01-18-07, 08:23 PM
You know what? I have been a member of that site for a while and don't subscribe for their magazine. I figure there is more than enough information on the website why go and spend in upwards of 30 Dollars for a subscription.

Should I? Is it worth it?

Luckily, I locked my subscription as a "founding" subscriber. I must admit that the first issue was well written and well researched. I was expecting a retread of the website, but it isn't really like that. From the rumors I have read online, they are going to get some bigwigs of beer (Garrett Oliver, Jim Koch, etc.) to write some articles. If that is true, then this mag will really kick ass.

ShaneTravis
01-18-07, 09:33 PM
Luckily, I locked my subscription as a "founding" subscriber. I must admit that the first issue was well written and well researched. I was expecting a retread of the website, but it isn't really like that. From the rumors I have read online, they are going to get some bigwigs of beer (Garrett Oliver, Jim Koch, etc.) to write some articles. If that is true, then this mag will really kick ass.

Hmm sounds good. Maybe I will pony up and get the magazine. I love their site, very informative. I dig that you can look up any beer and get feedback.

btw I have Oliver's "Brewmasters Table" and use it as my bible.

Boogiedown Bomber
01-18-07, 10:17 PM
btw I have Oliver's "Brewmasters Table" and use it as my bible.

I'm gonna ask the wife for that as a birthday gift. :D

destiNY
01-18-07, 10:21 PM
I was pleasured to find out that Outback imports real Australian beers (I worked in Sydney for 4months)...If anyone eats there try a Coopers sparkling beer, its a great beer.

ShaneTravis
01-18-07, 11:28 PM
I was pleasured to find out that Outback imports real Australian beers (I worked in Sydney for 4months)...If anyone eats there try a Coopers sparkling beer, its a great beer.

They have Coopers at Citarella. I saw the sparkling beer looks good. I have had the Pale Ale and it was off the hook.

Boogiedown Bomber
01-24-07, 08:58 PM
They have Coopers at Citarella. I saw the sparkling beer looks good. I have had the Pale Ale and it was off the hook.

I remember having Coopers at some pub in Earl's Court, London, and I thought it was okay.

Anyone try Val Dieu Brown? I just had one and it was very smooth for a 8% ABV beer.

ShaneTravis
01-24-07, 11:21 PM
Fellow New Yorkers (on the island) I am trying to buy a keg for Super Bowl Sunday. My place I always go to just closed and I have no idea where in the world I can get a Pony keg. It's a yearly tradition anyone know of a place?

Thanks

Boogiedown Bomber
01-31-07, 08:52 PM
Has anyone tried Carolina Brewing Company's Groundhog Imperial Stout? I pick up a case last Friday, and from what I heard, the fellas in Holly Springs were out by Saturday. I must say, it is very yummy.

montrealer
01-31-07, 08:57 PM
Because of this Weight loss thread I drank 6 quarts of Coors Lite last nite and I`m still Sh*tting thru the "Eye of a Needle" tonite.:barf: :barf: :barf:

Back to Guinness.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Boogiedown Bomber
02-01-07, 10:41 AM
Because of this Weight loss thread I drank 6 quarts of Coors Lite last nite and I`m still Sh*tting thru the "Eye of a Needle" tonite.:barf: :barf: :barf:

Back to Guinness.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

What the hell was wrong with you????????????? Coors Lite?!?!?!?!?!?!? I think I lost respect for you! :eek:

46andygirl
02-01-07, 08:55 PM
im a fan of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Do they still make that? I love it and it is hard to find.....

NyQuil
02-01-07, 09:45 PM
I am classy.

http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~burrows3/Room%20Pictures/Official%20105D%20Beer.jpg

YankeeGalSC
02-02-07, 01:32 PM
Does anyone here do home brew? My husband's best friend does and it's pretty good. My husband's stepdad even sent him some hops from upstate NY to make a batch...unfortunately during the brewing process his nephews managed to get into it and ruined it (they threw a plastic toy in it). :eek:

montrealer
02-02-07, 06:26 PM
What the hell was wrong with you????????????? Coors Lite?!?!?!?!?!?!? I think I lost respect for you! :eek:

I Know.....:( I feel sooooo ashamed of myself. I feel like I`ve cheated on my wife.

ShaneTravis
02-02-07, 06:35 PM
Does anyone here do home brew? My husband's best friend does and it's pretty good. My husband's stepdad even sent him some hops from upstate NY to make a batch...unfortunately during the brewing process his nephews managed to get into it and ruined it (they threw a plastic toy in it). :eek:

I wish I was that ambitious and talented. My brother used to make it and it was so so--and he was a Chemistry major. So I figured what chance do I have of it coming out tasty.

I bet the hops came from old forge or Cooperstown. Ommengang has a Hop farm upstate.

RhodyYanksFan
02-03-07, 12:08 PM

I have the Mr. Beer homebrewer kit. It's like homebrewing for dummies. You don't use fresh barley or hops. They sell kits of malt that you add to water and yeast and let ferment and then bottle. Some of them taste better then others. The problem I seem to have is that my beer over-ferments and turns cidery.

They sell different recipes that let you make different style and flavored beers by adding fruit or different things (brown sugar, etc) to the brew.

Someday when I have a garage and time I'd like to try and make it from scratch, just to say I did.

montrealer
02-03-07, 03:01 PM
Guinness and Newcastle tomorrow all day.

RhodyYanksFan
02-03-07, 03:16 PM
Guinness and Newcastle tomorrow all day.

Mmmm...Newcastle. :drool:

YankeeGalSC
02-03-07, 07:58 PM
I wish I was that ambitious and talented. My brother used to make it and it was so so--and he was a Chemistry major. So I figured what chance do I have of it coming out tasty.

I bet the hops came from old forge or Cooperstown. Ommengang has a Hop farm upstate.

My husband's stepdad lives in East Springfield...near Lake Otsego and Cooperstown. The hops are on his property. I think we're going to have to check out Ommengang next time we're up there.

montrealer
02-04-07, 12:16 PM
Guinness will be my beer of the day.

Boogiedown Bomber
02-04-07, 06:23 PM
Guinness will be my beer of the day.

You and me both! Salut! :gulp:

CptCrunch
02-04-07, 11:35 PM
Any Yuengling fans here?

Yankeeah
02-04-07, 11:43 PM
Any Yuengling fans here?

A good beer. It's huge here, the brewery is like an hour from here.

montrealer
03-11-07, 10:28 AM
With this weight loss thread I`ve switched to the only lite beer sold in bars in Quebec.....Coors Lite:barf: ...........with St.Patricks Day approaching it`s back to Guinness.....:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

RhodyYanksFan
03-12-07, 01:00 PM
Any Yuengling fans here?

I've had it a few times. Everyone raves about it but it was gross IMO.

5OClockLighting
03-13-07, 04:31 PM
I've had it a few times. Everyone raves about it but it was gross IMO.It is good for a Macro Brewery. It alot better than Bud, Miller, and Coors for about the same price.

ShaneTravis
03-13-07, 06:11 PM
My husband's stepdad lives in East Springfield...near Lake Otsego and Cooperstown. The hops are on his property. I think we're going to have to check out Ommengang next time we're up there.

You better! lol

Anything locally made...cheese,wine,beer,chocolate really tastes fantastic. I dunno, maybe less preservatives or shipping time makes it fresher.

Around here in NYC I pretty much stick to Brooklyn Brewery. Although last night I walked down to one of my favorite bars b/c they have Magic Hat on tap. Fat Angel, and then a Liberty Ale.

SalingerNY
03-13-07, 07:12 PM
It is good for a Macro Brewery. It alot better than Bud, Miller, and Coors for about the same price.

Bud, Miller, and Coors make beers?

Boogiedown Bomber
03-13-07, 08:22 PM
Bud, Miller, and Coors make beers?

WTF??? They're actually beers, and not urine samples?!?!?!?! :eek:

SalingerNY
03-13-07, 08:41 PM
WTF??? They're actually beers, and not urine samples?!?!?!?! :eek:

Whatever they are, calling Coors Light and the like "beer" seems like an insult to the species.

5OClockLighting
03-13-07, 10:09 PM
WTF??? They're actually beers, and not urine samples?!?!?!?! :eek:Piss beers serve their purpose. But spending all that extra cash on them, because Bud has funny Super Bowl commercials is stupid.

mitchrock
03-14-07, 12:51 AM
Just picked up a 15 pack of Guiness at Costco tonight. COmes in the pub cans.

ShaneTravis
03-14-07, 12:52 AM
Just picked up a 15 pack of Guiness at Costco tonight. COmes in the pub cans.

How much? Across the street at a deli a 4 pack runs 13 bucks.

mitchrock
03-14-07, 12:56 AM
$17.99

ShaneTravis
03-14-07, 12:58 AM
$17.99

I hate you.

RhodyYanksFan
03-14-07, 08:14 AM
How much? Across the street at a deli a 4 pack runs 13 bucks.

That's robbery. 4 packs up here are $8.99

mentalgidget
03-14-07, 08:47 AM
It is good for a Macro Brewery. It alot better than Bud, Miller, and Coors for about the same price.

You nailed it... compared to other domestic lagers, (excluding Sam Adams) Yuengling is head and shoulders above the others

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-14-07, 08:52 AM
Pretty neat look at breweries by volume produced:

1 Anheuser-Busch St. Louis, Missouri
2 Miller Brewing Company Milwaukee, WI
3 Coors Brewing Company Golden, CO
4 Pabst Brewing Company San Antonio, TX
5 City Brewing Company LaCrosse, WI
6 D. G. Yuengling and Son, Inc. Pottsville, PA
7 High Falls Brewing Company Rochester, NY
8 Boston Beer Company Boston, MA
9 Latrobe Brewing Company Latrobe, PA
10 Sierra Nevada Brewing Company Chico, CA
11 Pittsburgh Brewing Company Pittsburgh, PA
12 Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company Chippewa Falls, WI
13 New Belgium Brewing Company Fort Collins, CO
14 Spoetzl Brewery Shiner, TX
15 F.X. Matt Brewing Company Utica, NY
16 Redhook Ale Brewery Woodinville, Washington
17 Lion Brewery, Inc. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
18 Widmer Brothers Brewing Company Portland, OR
19 Pyramid Breweries, Inc. Seattle, WA
20 Deschutes Brewery Bend, OR
21 Alaskan Brewing and Bottling Company Juneau, AK
22 Boulevard Brewing Company Kansas City, MO
23 Harpoon Brewery Boston, MA
24 Anchor Brewing Company San Francisco, CA
25 Full Sail Brewing Company Hood River, OR
26 Mendocino Brewing Company Ukiah, CA
27 Gluek Brewing Company Cold Spring, MN
28 August Schell Brewing Company New Ulm, MN
29 Gordon Biersch Brewing Company San Jose, CA
30 Carolina Beer and Beverage Company Mooresville, NC
31 Summit Brewing Company St Paul, MN
32 Shipyard Brewing Company Portland, ME
33 Goose Island Beer Company Chicago, Illinois
34 Stevens Point Brewery Stevens Point, WI
35 Kalamazoo Brewing Company Galesburg, MI
36 Magic Hat Brewing Company South Burlington, VT
37 Long Trail Brewing Company Bridgewaters Corners, VT
38 Abita Brewing Company Abita Springs, LA
39 Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn, NY
40 Rock Bottom Restaurants Inc. Louisville, CO
41 BridgePort Brewing Company Portland, OR
42 Pete's Brewing Company San Antonio, TX
43 Firestone Walker Brewing Company Paso Robles, CA
44 Rogue Ales Newport, OR
45 Straub Brewery Saint Marys, PA
46 Stone Brewing Company Escondido, CA
47 Joseph Huber Brewing Company Monroe, WI
48 Kona Brewery LLC Kailua-Kona, HI
49 Flying Dog Brewery Denver, CO
50 Otter Creek Brewing Company Middlebury, VT

RhodyYanksFan
03-14-07, 09:04 AM
A few things from that list:

1) Hooray for Pabst :clap: Loved that stuff in college. What else do they make besides PBR?

2) What does City Brewing Company make?

BrooklynBotz
03-14-07, 11:14 AM
I have found my new favorite beer. It's called Hitachino Nest Beer. It's from Japan and I had some of it on tap at this japanese restaurant in Williamsburg called Bozu. I had the White Ale, it's really refreshing and goes down really easy. Almost too easy. I recommend it if you can find it. I have a really good place for beer near my apartment and they had it.
http://kodawari.cc/engpage/kodawari/html/hitachino.htm

CallOfTheCrow
03-14-07, 12:31 PM
I tried this beer over the weekend called a "Spruce Ale" over in PA. Pretty damn good.

RhodyYanksFan
03-14-07, 02:47 PM
Had some of my favorite beer this weekend: Magic Hat Ravell. They don't bottle it anymore, it's only in kegs. Only one place in the state carries it (that I know of). Anyone else ever had it?

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-14-07, 03:05 PM
Had some of my favorite beer this weekend: Magic Hat Ravell. They don't bottle it anymore, it's only in kegs. Only one place in the state carries it (that I know of). Anyone else ever had it?

We had this conversation earlier in the thread (see page 1). :)

They call it Mardi Gras Ale now.

bnorris85
03-14-07, 03:18 PM
black and sams

mentalgidget
03-14-07, 03:43 PM
Had a "Dirty Smith's" a few weekends ago at the St. Paty's parade in Pawtucket and I hope to have a few more this weekend in Newport
Smithwicks and Guiness mixed...
My 2 favorite beers, together at last!

RhodyYanksFan
03-14-07, 03:47 PM
We had this conversation earlier in the thread (see page 1). :)

They call it Mardi Gras Ale now.

Wow, this thread's a year old already. So they sell it in bottles?

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-14-07, 04:06 PM
Wow, this thread's a year old already. So they sell it in bottles?

I believe so, only Jan - March.

mitchrock
03-14-07, 05:46 PM
I hate you.

He Hate Me

5OClockLighting
03-14-07, 08:10 PM
You nailed it... compared to other domestic lagers, (excluding Sam Adams) Yuengling is head and shoulders above the othersI guess Sam is a Macro. How about this Yuengling is real good for the twist off and can group.

5OClockLighting
03-14-07, 08:17 PM
A few things from that list:

1) Hooray for Pabst :clap: Loved that stuff in college. What else do they make besides PBR?

PBR is my piss beer of choice also, so much cooler than Bud. Here is the list of everything they make, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/447 .

Didn't like the movie, but loved this line.
Frank Booth (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000454/): What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?
Jeffrey Beaumont (http://imdb.com/name/nm0001492/): Heineken.
Frank Booth (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000454/): Heineken? ................ that ................! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

4bronxbombers
03-14-07, 08:54 PM
Pabst? :looking: Isn't that like Bud sort of?

CallOfTheCrow
03-14-07, 09:02 PM
oh god, i havent had the PBR since freshman year at college.

Boogiedown Bomber
03-14-07, 09:08 PM
oh god, i havent had the PBR since freshman year at college.

I haven't had PBR since I was 13. It was the only beer I could pinch at my cousin's house, who was in college at the time.

Jim F.
03-15-07, 09:30 AM
Mmmm.... beer.... :)

My new favorite beer is one I had in Oregon last fall called Full Sail Ale - it's brewed by a small brewing company in Hood River, OR. Great stuff!

I'm a big Sam Adams seasonal brew fan - I love the Winter Lager (had a hard time finding it this year), Summer Ale, and Octoberfest. The White Ale for Spring is 'aight.

If you're ever out in the Northwest, look for Full Sail. You won't be disappointed.

ShaneTravis
03-15-07, 10:40 AM
Mmmm.... beer.... :)

My new favorite beer is one I had in Oregon last fall called Full Sail Ale - it's brewed by a small brewing company in Hood River, OR. Great stuff!

I'm a big Sam Adams seasonal brew fan - I love the Winter Lager (had a hard time finding it this year), Summer Ale, and Octoberfest. The White Ale for Spring is 'aight.

If you're ever out in the Northwest, look for Full Sail. You won't be disappointed.
Yeah, looks pretty good to me. I have never heard of it. I have a very good beer "guy" here in the city that gets me the hard to find stuff. I take a lot of the suggestions made here and give him a list. I will put this on it. Of course, to get the full affect I might have to make a trip there. lol
http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/ipa.cfm?CFID=2717019&CFTOKEN=63054658

PalmerGA
03-15-07, 10:49 AM
PBR is my piss beer of choice also, so much cooler than Bud. Here is the list of everything they make, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/447 .Interesting. They seemed to have bought up a lot of the small brands (Olympia, Lone Star, Blatz, Old Mil, Stroh's, Black Label). I was surprised to see McSorley's on there. Used to love their Cream Ale many years ago.

I got one of those mini-kegs of Heinekin for Christmas and just "tapped" it Monday. It tastes terrible and foams like a mother. Not impressed.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-07, 11:02 AM
I got one of those mini-kegs of Heinekin for Christmas and just "tapped" it Monday. It tastes terrible and foams like a mother. Not impressed.

Does Heinekin ever taste good?

4bronxbombers
03-15-07, 11:03 AM
Does Heinekin ever taste good?

Heiney = :barf:

PalmerGA
03-15-07, 11:04 AM
Does Heinekin ever taste good?Not one of my favs, but I like it okay out of a bottle.

ShaneTravis
03-15-07, 11:07 AM
Interesting. They seemed to have bought up a lot of the small brands (Olympia, Lone Star, Blatz, Old Mil, Stroh's, Black Label). I was surprised to see McSorley's on there. Used to love their Cream Ale many years ago.

Ugghh, that sucks. I personally can't stand Heinekin. I have been to Amsterdam and had it from the source and was so unimpressed.

You know alot of the beers mentioned who are high production farm out their product. Utica Club has contracts with Brooklyn and Sam's. Check a look at the label on both of those and you will see Utica,NY stamped on it. With the increase in production and small facilities it is happening more often.

Spent time in Macon and can't remember if there were any craft beers made locally down there.

PalmerGA
03-15-07, 11:34 AM
Ugghh, that sucks. I personally can't stand Heinekin. I have been to Amsterdam and had it from the source and was so unimpressed.

You know alot of the beers mentioned who are high production farm out their product. Utica Club has contracts with Brooklyn and Sam's. Check a look at the label on both of those and you will see Utica,NY stamped on it. With the increase in production and small facilities it is happening more often.Glad to hear that about the old West End Brewing Company in Utica. I grew up on UC and Matt's. Big fan of some of the Saranac brews also.

ShaneTravis
03-15-07, 11:46 AM
Glad to hear that about the old West End Brewing Company in Utica. I grew up on UC and Matt's. Big fan of some of the Saranac brews also.

West End! Good call Palmer!
I'm from there. The tour is still amazing and you are right about the Saranac line...top notch. Each and every year I grab as much seasonal brew as I can to hold me till Summer.

Utica Club, too funny. Your making me homesick.

yankeeschic12324
03-15-07, 03:00 PM
:gulp: CHEERS!

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-07, 03:04 PM
:gulp: CHEERS!

Here's to 3PM :gulp:

Boogiedown Bomber
03-15-07, 03:23 PM
Here's to 3PM :gulp:

Hellz yeah! :gulp:

Octoberbaby
03-15-07, 04:46 PM
Duvel... yummy. I like a lot of Belgian beers, especially Wittekirk (a white beer aka a wheat beer). Chimay red is quite nice but Chimay blue has been nicknamed "barfenbrau" in my household. It's extra syrupy and kinda nasty. I'm afraid of the Chimay gold, which is supposed to be even more "rich" than the blue.

As far as what I'd order in a bar... Newcastle Brown is still my #1 favorite. I also like Bass Ale, which is usually easier to find than Newcastle. My husband really introduced me to Stella Artois (Belgian as well), which is one fine lager. If I'm at a place that has absolute crap on tap, a bottle of Heineken or Amstel Light can usually suffice.

We recently enjoyed Kronenbourg, which is beginning to be distributed more widely in this country...

But if you find yourself in Ireland, nothing can really beat a Guinness. (They brew it differently for export locales.)

My BF is from Belgium so he is big on Belgian beers. He likes Stella Artois but could probably name several others. I will have to have him read through this thread to see if he has anything to add.

4bronxbombers
03-15-07, 05:52 PM
My BF is from Belgium so he is big on Belgian beers. He likes Stella Artois but could probably name several others. I will have to have him read through this thread to see if he has anything to add.

Stella is one of my favorite beers. I like it from the tap though, not bottled. I've heard it's one of the more fattening beers.

Octoberbaby
03-15-07, 05:58 PM
Stella is one of my favorite beers. I like it from the tap though, not bottled. I've heard it's one of the more fattening beers.

Definitely better from the tap. I think most beers are fattening except for Lite Beer. My BF drinks lots of beer but doesn't show it at all. Men are so lucky.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-07, 06:06 PM

Beer is just water, barley, yeast and hops. As such it's not fatty. It's the chips/wings/dips/nuts that you eat while drinking beer that makes you fat.

mitchrock
03-15-07, 06:09 PM

Did Stella get her groove back?

4bronxbombers
03-15-07, 08:38 PM
Did Stella get her groove back?

woo hoo! :cheer:

4bronxbombers
03-15-07, 08:39 PM
Beer is just water, barley, yeast and hops. As such it's not fatty. It's the chips/wings/dips/nuts that you eat while drinking beer that makes you fat.

idk....the bartender told us it's a really fattening beer. :dunno:

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-07, 11:56 PM

It might have more calories then most beers. That's probably why I don't like it.

mitchrock
03-16-07, 12:07 PM
Woohoo put my Guiness in the fridge for this weekend. Also am wearing my Great Yankees hat that has the shamrock on the back.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-16-07, 12:12 PM

Pretty close to average really:
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-beer-beer-5-alc_f-Y2lkPTM5NTgwJmJpZD0xOTYyJmZpZD0xMTIxMDEmcGFyPQ.html

PalmerGA
03-16-07, 05:20 PM
West End! Good call Palmer!
I'm from there. The tour is still amazing and you are right about the Saranac line...top notch. Each and every year I grab as much seasonal brew as I can to hold me till Summer.I go up a couple of times a year and stock up... never enough though. :gulp:

montrealer
03-17-07, 10:22 PM
Guinness out with a new beer...called Guinness Red....looking foward to swilling a few pints.

mitchrock
03-18-07, 12:52 AM
Will keep an eye out for the Guinness Red. Speaking of Guinness, just refilled my glass.

PinstripePride
03-18-07, 01:07 AM
Guinness is horrific.

montrealer
03-18-07, 08:14 AM
Guinness is horrific.

Maybe you`ll like the Guinness Red....it`s made to be more appealling to women. I will say Guinness like Scotch is aquired taste .I guess after drinkg it for 20yrs. I`ve aguired something.

mitchrock
03-18-07, 11:58 AM
Guiness is an a acquired taste. Love it. Thes draught cans I bought suggest you keep them real cool. I prefer Guinness at room temperature in a cold glass.

ShaneTravis
03-18-07, 05:57 PM
Guinness is horrific.
Try a black and tan or a half and half.
Might go down better, Guiness really is mother's milk.

Robb
03-18-07, 07:07 PM
My fav. cheap beer = Narragansett

RhodyYanksFan
03-19-07, 08:44 AM
Try a black and tan or a half and half.
Might go down better, Guiness really is mother's milk.

Mmmmm...black & tan :gulp: :gulp:

montrealer
03-19-07, 11:36 AM
I`ve finished my free keg of Guinness which I won last Halloween . 88 pints are finally resting peacefully......so sad now I`ll have to pay .

Maynerd
03-19-07, 12:04 PM
Guinness is horrific.
Life is too short to drink yellow beer.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Guiness out of the bottle, but from the tap, it's heavenly.

RhodyYanksFan
03-19-07, 12:21 PM
Life is too short to drink yellow beer.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Guiness out of the bottle, but from the tap, it's heavenly.

It's possibly the only beer that's better out of the can then the bottle. I love when the bartender is skilled enough to make a shamrock in the head of the Guinness.

mitchrock
03-19-07, 12:51 PM
It's possibly the only beer that's better out of the can then the bottle. I love when the bartender is skilled enough to make a shamrock in the head of the Guinness.

Agree that Guinness is much better out of the can than the bottle. Also Bass Ale in Pub Cans are the bomb.

ShaneTravis
03-28-07, 03:54 PM
Went to the Beer guy today in anticipation of this beautiful NYC weather we are having.

Picked up a Stone IPA, Sapporo...the 22 oz. variety.
And a big phat Fullers London Pride Pale Ale. 17.oz's of heaven.

And I have mentioned it before but one of my favorite craft brewers in this country is Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. The guy I buy my beer from is one of the best "hard to find" beers in NYC. Well, he picked me up 2 bottles of Sierra Nevada BigFoot Barley Style Ale 9% Alcohol and it packs some bite.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-28-07, 03:59 PM
I`ve finished my free keg of Guinness which I won last Halloween . 88 pints are finally resting peacefully......so sad now I`ll have to pay .

Have a kegerator or similar? I couldn't imagine it staying good that long.

mitchrock
03-28-07, 04:38 PM
Went to the Beer guy today in anticipation of this beautiful NYC weather we are having.

Picked up a Stone IPA, Sapporo...the 22 oz. variety.
And a big phat Fullers London Pride Pale Ale. 17.oz's of heaven.

And I have mentioned it before but one of my favorite craft brewers in this country is Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. The guy I buy my beer from is one of the best "hard to find" beers in NYC. Well, he picked me up 2 bottles of Sierra Nevada BigFoot Barley Style Ale 9% Alcohol and it packs some bite.

Stone IPA is good stuff.

I picked up a bottle of Stone Vertical Epic and Double Arrogant Bastard last night. Loved the Vertical Epic, first time I found it anywhere most places have run out.

I drank a lot of the Double AB during the holidays and am looking forward to downing it this weekend.

Merry46
03-28-07, 05:01 PM
Guinness is horrific.

Oh, OUCH! A knife right through me heart! :upset: ;)

RhodyYanksFan
03-28-07, 05:05 PM
Oh, OUCH! A knife right through me heart! :upset: ;)

My finace' says the same thing. It's an acquired taste. That just leaves more for the rest of us. :)

Boogiedown Bomber
03-28-07, 06:42 PM

vous etes un bastard!!!! :gulp:

CallOfTheCrow
03-28-07, 07:28 PM
I picked up some Negra Modello today.

Octoberbaby
03-28-07, 07:46 PM
This weekend at Trader Joe's I noticed they have a new Trader Joe's Ale which is Belgian syle. I bought it for my BF who is from Belgium and he said it was very good. It comes in a big corked bottle. If your TJs has liquor, wine and beer, you may want to try it.

CallOfTheCrow
03-28-07, 07:47 PM
i gotta TJ by me, ill have to check it out

Octoberbaby
03-28-07, 08:58 PM
i gotta TJ by me, ill have to check it out

Do they carry alcoholic beverages in your TJ? I know in N.Y. they don't.

ShaneTravis
03-29-07, 12:20 AM
Do they carry alcoholic beverages in your TJ? I know in N.Y. they don't.

They have a seperate wine store from the grocery store on 14th street. I have bought many bottles of wine there.

I had no idea they carried beer. Definately interested in that Belgian ale, great tip.

Octoberbaby
03-29-07, 02:24 AM
They have a seperate wine store from the grocery store on 14th street. I have bought many bottles of wine there.

I had no idea they carried beer. Definately interested in that Belgian ale, great tip.

I know in NYC they have the separate store but in Long Island they don't and don't carry any alcoholic beverages in the stores there. It is a bummer because the wine they carry is the best bargain, especially the Charles Shaw.

Centerhero
03-29-07, 06:23 AM
Sorry, thought this was the root beer thread!?!:gulp:

ShaneTravis
03-29-07, 10:17 AM
I know in NYC they have the separate store but in Long Island they don't and don't carry any alcoholic beverages in the stores there. It is a bummer because the wine they carry is the best bargain, especially the Charles Shaw.

I had a wedding to go to and I picked up a case of two buck Chuck and it was like 40 dollars. Best bargin on a wedding gift ever.

Octoberbaby
03-29-07, 02:46 PM
I had a wedding to go to and I picked up a case of two buck Chuck and it was like 40 dollars. Best bargin on a wedding gift ever.

Great idea for a wedding gift! :)

Mariano226
03-29-07, 07:31 PM
Blue Moon is actually one of my favorites. Has a nice, different taste.

Me, too, it's... tangy, very fittingly orange.

yankeeschic12324
03-29-07, 07:39 PM
Cheers! :gulp:

mitchrock
03-30-07, 01:01 PM
Going to BevMo tonight. Can't wait.

5OClockLighting
03-30-07, 05:12 PM
It's possibly the only beer that's better out of the can then the bottle. I love when the bartender is skilled enough to make a shamrock in the head of the Guinness.Almost every beer in a pub can is better than its bottle counterpart.

Janttje
03-31-07, 09:37 AM
Heineken :D

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 10:37 AM
Heineken :DOver priced piss.

RhodyYanksFan
03-31-07, 11:04 AM
Over priced piss.

Well said. :clap:

4bronxbombers
03-31-07, 11:07 AM
Over priced piss.

I can't stand it either.....ick.

montrealer
03-31-07, 11:48 AM
Last nite at a concert all they had was Stella.....which was kinda nice actually. Being a Guinness man I was quite surprise buy this beer.

ShaneTravis
03-31-07, 11:50 AM
Last nite at a concert all they had was Stella.....which was kinda nice actually. Being a Guinness man I was quite surprise buy this beer.

Stella is nice. What concert? Any other stouts beside Guinness?

Janttje
03-31-07, 12:01 PM
Ive never tasted American beers.. So Thats why Heineken is my favorite..

Tal Hawkins
03-31-07, 12:03 PM
Anyone ever tried a Leinenkugel? I had a few of the Sunset Wheat last night...pretty good stuff. It actually smells and tastes a little like Fruity Pebbles cereal. I've been told that the Leinenkugel Red is pretty tasty.

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 12:14 PM
Ive never tasted American beers.. So Thats why Heineken is my favorite..Ok, you're Dutch, maybe it is reasonably priced piss over there. Don't drink our big three, Bud, Coors, or Miller, they are piss like Heineken. Don't know what good American micro brewers you can get in Europe, but you can find good local brews.

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 12:18 PM
I can't stand it either.....ick.I was once told there are no bad beers, just better beers. Buying a Heineken is like paying for a Caddy and getting a Geo.

4bronxbombers
03-31-07, 12:21 PM

Stella is a nice beer. Very tasty. :)

RhodyYanksFan
03-31-07, 12:25 PM
I was once told there are no bad beers, just better beers. Buying a Heineken is like paying for a Caddy and getting a Geo.

Good analogy.

I'm on a mission to find Magic Hat Mardi Gras Ale

RhodeyYankee2638
03-31-07, 12:33 PM
Good analogy.

I'm on a mission to find Magic Hat Mardi Gras Ale

The Abbey in providence

RhodyYanksFan
03-31-07, 12:38 PM
The Abbey in providence

I meant in bottles. Providence bars are for hooligans.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-31-07, 12:44 PM
I meant in bottles. Providence bars are for hooligans.

its got 90 beers, so i'll gladly stay with the hooligans

Janttje
03-31-07, 12:45 PM
Ok, you're Dutch, maybe it is reasonably priced piss over there. Don't drink our big three, Bud, Coors, or Miller, they are piss like Heineken. Don't know what good American micro brewers you can get in Europe, but you can find good local brews.

8 euro for 24 bottles :P

RhodeyYankee2638
03-31-07, 12:48 PM
8 euro for 24 bottles :P

they give Heineken away here for free because its so bad

mitchrock
03-31-07, 12:53 PM
BevMo has Samuel Smith's on sale now. Picked up some Oatmeal Stout and Tadporter.

Janttje
03-31-07, 12:55 PM
they give Heineken away here for free because its so bad

Heineken Premium light you mean, or how is it called over there :D

RhodeyYankee2638
03-31-07, 01:00 PM

nope, all Heineken is pretty much trash

4bronxbombers
03-31-07, 01:03 PM
nope, all Heineken is pretty much trash

It tells you something when its nickname is skunk piss......

RhodyYanksFan
03-31-07, 01:04 PM
its got 90 beers, so i'll gladly stay with the hooligans

90 on tap? Where in Providence is it?

RhodeyYankee2638
03-31-07, 01:31 PM
90 on tap? Where in Providence is it?

i dont know the street its on, google it. its pretty good, they got great food

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 03:16 PM
8 euro for 24 bottles :PIt goes for 12-13 bucks for a 12 pack here, that more than double.

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 03:18 PM
It tells you something when its nickname is skunk piss......I am sure it taste better in Holland, yellow beer in a green bottle dosen't keep well on a long boat ride.

montrealer
03-31-07, 03:21 PM
Stella is nice. What concert? Any other stouts beside Guinness?

Denis DeYoung (Styx)

I drink Murphys also ......when I need something a little sweeter. Winter in Canada is good stout season....in the summer I drink Newcastle Brown Ale. and on very hot days I like Corona with a twist.

montrealer
03-31-07, 03:24 PM

Meh......I don`t mine Heineken ....all my Arab friends seem to love it . But if I`m paying premium price for a pint I`ll stick to my Guinness.:gulp:

5OClockLighting
03-31-07, 03:27 PM
on very hot days I like Corona with a twist.Try a good unfiltered wheat ale with a lemon twist.

RhodyYanksFan
03-31-07, 03:49 PM
Try a good unfiltered wheat ale with a lemon twist.

I dunno how you can put "good" and "unfiltered wheat" in the same sentence.

goin for 27
03-31-07, 04:26 PM
Ive never tasted American beers.. So Thats why Heineken is my favorite..

Heineken is VERY different over there. I had some in Ireland this summer, and it was great. Skunky over here in the States....

4bronxbombers
03-31-07, 04:55 PM
Heineken is VERY different over there. I had some in Ireland this summer, and it was great. Skunky over here in the States....

I wonder why....I hear the same about Guinness.

In Mo I Trust
03-31-07, 05:08 PM
I just picked up a case of Harpoon UFO and a Sam Adams mix pack for the games tonight. :gulp:

5OClockLighting
04-01-07, 01:25 PM
I dunno how you can put "good" and "unfiltered wheat" in the same sentence.That's where personal taste comes in. I can understand your opinion, but I will never understand Corona, Becks, and Hieneken being bought at a premium.

5OClockLighting
04-01-07, 01:26 PM
I just picked up a case of Harpoon UFODo you drink it with lemon?

RhodyYanksFan
04-01-07, 01:51 PM
That's where personal taste comes in. I can understand your opinion, but I will never understand Corona, Becks, and Hieneken being bought at a premium.

Me either. Like you said, personal preference.

ShaneTravis
04-04-07, 01:28 PM
In anticipation of the games this week I picked up some interesting stuff.

Brooklyn Brewery came out with Local 1 which is a bottle refermented ale at 9% alcohol. It's a really cool looking bottle (26 oz.)

I also grabbed some Blance De Bruxelles---an umalted wheat beer. Very refreshing.

I was about to buy a pretty rare Rogue Brew 10,000: Here is a description from their website. I found exactly 2 bottles here in the City. It's 40 bucks a pop. Anyone try it before I go and foolishly buy both of them anyway? lol

One Brewer, Eighteen Years, Ten-Thousand Batches of Beer. Brew 10,000 is not so much a style of beer, rather it is a new recipe using some of the best ingredients John Maier has ever brewed with... Vienna, French Special Aroma, and Maris Otter Pale Malts; Yakima Summit and German Saphir Hops, Free-range Coastal Waters, and PacMan Yeast.
Brew 10,000 was brewed only once, so its allocated and very, very limited. Its packaged in the swing-top 750-ml ceramic bottle and available only at select retailers...while supplies last...

mitchrock
04-04-07, 02:30 PM
Wished they had some of Brooklyn's brews at BevMo here. Doesn't look like they're targeting the West Coast yet. Bummer.

Boogiedown Bomber
04-04-07, 03:02 PM
In anticipation of the games this week I picked up some interesting stuff.

Brooklyn Brewery came out with Local 1 which is a bottle refermented ale at 9% alcohol. It's a really cool looking bottle (26 oz.)

Would they sell it directly from the Brooklyn Brewery shop in Brooklyn, or can you pick it up at A&P, Shop Rite, etc.?

ShaneTravis
04-04-07, 03:39 PM
Would they sell it directly from the Brooklyn Brewery shop in Brooklyn, or can you pick it up at A&P, Shop Rite, etc.?

I would imagine you could definately pick it up at the Brewery. I picked it up at Hercules grocery on 7th ave south. But I also saw it at Whole Foods and West Side Market.

I doubt AP and Shop Rite but maybe. It's sort of high end and I doubt you will find it in those type of places.

5OClockLighting
04-04-07, 05:57 PM
I was about to buy a pretty rare Rogue Brew 10,000: Here is a description from their website. I found exactly 2 bottles here in the City. It's 40 bucks a pop. Anyone try it before I go and foolishly buy both of them anyway? lol
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/35404 I would expect a higher score for a 40 dollar bottle.

MTYankee23
04-05-07, 09:01 AM
Anyone ever tried a Leinenkugel? I had a few of the Sunset Wheat last night...pretty good stuff. It actually smells and tastes a little like Fruity Pebbles cereal. I've been told that the Leinenkugel Red is pretty tasty.

I saw this yesterday and brought a 6 pack for after my hockey game last night, my teammates and I also agree that it tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Good Stuff.

goin for 27
04-05-07, 01:22 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/35404 I would expect a higher score for a 40 dollar bottle.

Gotta say, I have never paid anything close to $40 a bottle. Wow.

My indulgence is Chimay - Blue Label. I pay $3.30 per bottle, and it is a slightly smaller bottle, 11.2 ounces.

Great Belgian Trappist Ale.

RhodyYanksFan
04-05-07, 01:42 PM
Has anyone else had Monty Python Holy Grail Ale? I forget who makes it, but they sell it up here. It's about $4 for a 20oz bottle. Not half bad either.

I enjoy good beer as much as the next guy, but it's hard to pass up $7.99 Bud Light 12 packs on sale at my local package store.

Boogiedown Bomber
04-07-07, 11:16 AM
Has anyone else had Monty Python Holy Grail Ale? I forget who makes it, but they sell it up here. It's about $4 for a 20oz bottle. Not half bad either.

Funny you write about the Holy Grail Ale b/c my bro-in-law bought it a few months ago and it is still sitting in my fridge. It is made by Black Sheep in Yorkshire, UK. I haven't tried...should I?

Boogiedown Bomber
04-07-07, 11:17 AM
Has anyone tried Unibroue's 16th Anniversary Ale on Lees?

RhodyYanksFan
04-07-07, 11:36 AM
Funny you write about the Holy Grail Ale b/c my bro-in-law bought it a few months ago and it is still sitting in my fridge. It is made by Black Sheep in Yorkshire, UK. I haven't tried...should I?

Well hey, it's free so it'll be worth it. It was nothing spectacular. I really don't remember how it tasted, it was like 6 months ago.

mitchrock
04-07-07, 12:05 PM
Stone's Russian Imperial Stout limited release just came out. INCREDIBLE. Possibly the best beer I have ever tasted. Picked up a couple of bottles along with a bottle of Stone's Old Guardian.

5OClockLighting
04-07-07, 12:19 PM
74 years ago beer became legal again with the Cullen-Harrison bill. So cheers.

mentalgidget
04-09-07, 12:07 PM
ATTN any Rhode Island Beer drinkers...
I was home for the weekend and went to the East Ave. Cafe in Pawtucket. It's under new management and they have 15 drafts and 69 bottles available.
I enjoyed brews called Hazed & Infused (one of the best beers I've ever had), Caskazilla, Hopus Maximus, Hoptical Illusion, and Magic Hat Circus Boy.

They have a beer club... keeps track of what you've tried and you get prizes for reaching certain milestones along the way.

Added bonus, they have the Extra Innings package.

Smithers
04-09-07, 12:49 PM
Stone's Russian Imperial Stout limited release just came out. INCREDIBLE. Possibly the best beer I have ever tasted. Picked up a couple of bottles along with a bottle of Stone's Old Guardian.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=3758108&postcount=215

:gulp:

Centerhero
04-15-07, 06:51 AM
:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp: Refuse to Booze :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

montrealer
04-15-07, 11:17 AM
Beerstore.ca

montrealer
04-18-07, 08:45 PM
As most of you know I`m a Guinness guy...but tonite I`m officially starting my summer time ritual of switching to NewCastle Brown Ale. Guinness is a bit heavy to drink in the summer and for those who`ve never tried NBA i think you`ll be pleasantly surprise.

ShaneTravis
04-19-07, 12:16 AM
As most of you know I`m a Guinness guy...but tonite I`m officially starting my summer time ritual of switching to NewCastle Brown Ale. Guinness is a bit heavy to drink in the summer and for those who`ve never tried NBA i think you`ll be pleasantly surprise.

I like your move.

mitchrock
04-19-07, 12:15 PM
Bridgeports Beertown Brown is an excellent beer that recently came out, similar to a Newcastle, also reminscent of a Sam Adams Black Lager.

Boogiedown Bomber
04-19-07, 06:56 PM

Have you ever considered trying IPAs in warmer weather? I started doing that last May after picking up the 90 Minute IPA at a supermarket. Granted, I started at the top of IPAs (IMHO), but the beer complemented the spring weather.

mitchrock
04-19-07, 07:09 PM
IPA's are incredible, never used to like them. Now love them. Some good IPA's are Stone, Bridgeport and Lagunitas Maximus.

RhodeyYankee2638
04-19-07, 07:51 PM
Newcastle Brownale is like candy

goin for 27
04-19-07, 07:56 PM

You've got good taste, Montrealer. I go back and forth, but more New Castle in the summer, for sure. Love it.

Boogiedown Bomber
04-19-07, 09:08 PM
IPA's are incredible, never used to like them. Now love them. Some good IPA's are Stone, Bridgeport and Lagunitas Maximus.

I actually picked up some Stone stuff today. I can't wait to break it open tomorrow in the 70 degree sunny weather, a la San Diego! :D

montrealer
04-20-07, 06:55 PM
You've got good taste, Montrealer. I go back and forth, but more New Castle in the summer, for sure. Love it.

Not sure whether to go with the white wine tonite or Newcatle for the game.

NYYFAN5388
04-22-07, 02:02 PM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Boogiedown Bomber
04-30-07, 09:23 PM
Have any of you been to Krough's in Sparta, NJ?

RhodyYanksFan
05-01-07, 07:33 AM
Bought my ticket to Providence Beerfest (http://www.beerfestamerica.com/) this Saturday. :gulp: My fiance thinks I'm childish. While that may be true, I think this will be money well spent.

RJ44
05-01-07, 07:44 AM
Bought my ticket to Providence Beerfest (http://www.beerfestamerica.com/) this Saturday. :gulp: My fiance thinks I'm childish. While that may be true, I think this will be money well spent.

I got your back... I do things WAY more childish than attending a beerfest. Don't you have to be 21 (an adult) to attend a beerfest anyways?

Me posting in a beer thread... never thought that would happen...:barf:

5OClockLighting
05-17-07, 03:56 PM
I am going to check out Sixpoint Brewery on Saturday, http://www.sixpointcraftales.com/. Has anyone ever been?

Boogiedown Bomber
05-18-07, 06:36 AM
I am going to check out Sixpoint Brewery on Saturday, http://www.sixpointcraftales.com/. Has anyone ever been?

Never heard of it until you mentioned it. I see that they list themselves as 100% Brooklyn. Is that a slight dig at Brooklyn Brewery? :D

Smithers
05-18-07, 12:08 PM

IPAs are my favorite style. I really like the Magic Hat IPA, conveniently called HiPA. Awesome stuff. Victory's Hop Wallop is good, but expensive and almost too hoppy.

RhodyYanksFan
05-18-07, 12:44 PM
IPAs are my favorite style. I really like the Magic Hat IPA, conveniently called HiPA. Awesome stuff. Victory's Hop Wallop is good, but expensive and almost too hoppy.

Ever try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA?

mitchrock
05-18-07, 01:49 PM

Thanks for giving me new IPA's to try.

Going to tour the Lagunitas Brewery next week while on vacation. Love their Maximus IPA.

powerpinstripes
05-18-07, 02:42 PM
Ever try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA?

Awesome Beer. 60 minute is pretty good too!:) :)

powerpinstripes
05-18-07, 02:44 PM
Thanks for giving me new IPA's to try.

Going to tour the Lagunitas Brewery next week while on vacation. Love their Maximus IPA.

Love Lagunitas.....

5OClockLighting
05-18-07, 06:53 PM
I see that they list themselves as 100% Brooklyn. Is that a slight dig at Brooklyn Brewery? :DMost likely, since they bottle their stuff upstate.

montrealer
05-18-07, 10:14 PM
Got sh*t-faced last nite at a soccer Pub on Carlsburg...not bad and even won a Liverpool soccer t-shirt.

5OClockLighting
05-19-07, 09:27 AM
Tried a new concept last night, six pack art. The result from six Guinness Extra Stouts was this (http://www.raphe.net/xstoutnude.htm).

montrealer
05-19-07, 09:32 AM
Tried a new concept last night, six pack art. The result from six Guinness Extra Stouts was this (http://www.raphe.net/xstoutnude.htm).

So that`s what women look like like thru the eyes of a 6-pack........

Trish
05-19-07, 09:36 AM

Nice boobs.

SalingerNY
05-19-07, 08:32 PM
I picked up a six-pack of Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale (Holland) this week. Anyone heard of it or tried it? It's got a nice finish for a brown ale, not too heavy.

RhodyYanksFan
06-19-07, 09:26 AM
NOOOOO!!
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0618/breaking59.htm

Diageo Plc said today it was reviewing brewing operations in Ireland after media reported the drinks giant may quit the Dublin city centre site where Guinness has been brewed for almost 250 years.

Jim F.
06-19-07, 09:53 AM
My new favorite is the Anchor Steam Summer brew. mmmmmm...tasty!

Deb made me quit drinking beer though, because she said it was making me fat. (she was right!)

RhodyYanksFan
06-19-07, 09:54 AM
My new favorite is the Anchor Steam Summer brew. mmmmmm...tasty!

Deb made me quit drinking beer though, because she said it was making me fat. (she was right!)

Doesn't it suck that something that's 80% water can make you so fat?

mitchrock
06-19-07, 01:15 PM
Been drinking LAgunitas Special Investigation Shut Down Ale lately, it is a special release. It's both bitter and hoppy, unusual yet good combo.

ShaneTravis
06-30-07, 12:26 AM
I bought the Sam Adams Summer Special 12 pack and what's the deal with Sam? Each and every time they come out with any special or seasonal brew I buy it and it dissapoints every time. I tried the Boston Ale and Pale and jeez it stunk. I then took a few breathers and threw down some shucked oysters. After regrouping I tried their wheat and again no dice.

Common sense got the better of me and I am back to Anchor Summer Brew.

4bronxbombers
06-30-07, 12:38 AM
Blonde ale and Stella at YS...plus some other "non beer" items. :lol:

ShaneTravis
06-30-07, 12:41 AM
Blonde ale and Stella at YS...plus some other "non beer" items. :lol:

What did that set you back? lol

I drank my debit card limit last game vs the Bucs and only had the Hein and buds.

Blonde ale? Must have been in the front row. lol

4bronxbombers
06-30-07, 12:42 AM
What did that set you back? lol

I drank my debit card limit last game vs the Bucs and only had the Hein and buds.

Blonde ale? Must have been in the front row. lol

Nothing....someone bought them for me. ;)

The guy behind me walked up to the beer guy and said, "2 blondes." :lol:

ShaneTravis
06-30-07, 12:46 AM
Nothing....someone bought them for me. ;)

The guy behind me walked up to the beer guy and said, "2 blondes." :lol:

I have been to the stadium several times and never have seen those beers. I usually have a sick sense about these things....

ahh no matter I love paying 10 dollars for room temp Heinekens (which I detest--skunk). The best thing is when I am good and marinated I start buying the hotdogs to go along with them.

There are things on the bottom of my shoes that smell better than me when I leave the stadium.

SoCal Pinstriper
06-30-07, 03:49 AM
I bought the Sam Adams Summer Special 12 pack and what's the deal with Sam? Each and every time they come out with any special or seasonal brew I buy it and it dissapoints every time. I tried the Boston Ale and Pale and jeez it stunk. I then took a few breathers and threw down some shucked oysters. After regrouping I tried their wheat and again no dice.

Common sense got the better of me and I am back to Anchor Summer Brew.Product of California>Anything from Boston

:D :gulp:

patrick.o
06-30-07, 12:23 PM
I have been to the stadium several times and never have seen those beers. I usually have a sick sense about these things....
Bottom level behind home plate. There's a place that serves pre-made sandwiches and pastas dishes. They have Red Hook Blonde and Stella on tap.

patrick.o
06-30-07, 12:53 PM
Sam is hit or miss. About half of their beer is very mediocre, but you have to remember, it's microbrew for the masses. The rest of their beers range from pretty tasty to downright fantastic. I don't know if they'll make it again this year, but last year's special Patriot Edition 4-pack is a must have. The 4 beers are based on recipes from colonial times. There were two very unusual beers, essentially alcoholic versions of ginger ale and root beer, that were very interesting and like nothing I'd ever had before. Not the kind of thing I'd want to have a 6-pack of, but well worth the experience. The other two beers were a dark wheat ale and a porter that were both very different from the typical examples of their style and both out of this world. The porter especially was just one of those beers that makes you shake your head that someone can be that good at making beer. If it comes out again this year, buy it! It's well worth it.

montrealer
06-30-07, 12:55 PM
Guinness and Newcastle rule the day..........

shotz
06-30-07, 01:01 PM
Molson Canadian Lager :gulp:

montrealer
06-30-07, 05:32 PM
Molson Canadian Lager :gulp:

Also not bad.........:D

Boogiedown Bomber
06-30-07, 08:10 PM
Guinness and Newcastle rule the day..........

Of course!!! I'm about to serve meself some Guinness :) :gulp:

BTW, Newcastle goes very well with grilled salmon and veggies.

montrealer
06-30-07, 08:38 PM
Of course!!! I'm about to serve meself some Guinness :) :gulp:

Slainte
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Jim F.
06-30-07, 10:45 PM

Common sense got the better of me and I am back to Anchor Summer Brew.I like the Sam Adams Summer seasonal. Heck, I like all their seasonals. Anchor Summer is what's in my fridge right now :). It's good. :)

ShaneTravis
06-30-07, 11:45 PM
I like the Sam Adams Summer seasonal. Heck, I like all their seasonals. Anchor Summer is what's in my fridge right now :). It's good. :)

ummm, you should not have any beer in the fridge right now. Boss's orders.

montrealer
07-01-07, 09:56 AM
Canada Day today.......any beer will do............

Boogiedown Bomber
07-01-07, 02:57 PM
Canada Day today.......any beer will do............

Happy Canada Day mate! I will enjoy a Molson for you! :D

patrick.o
07-01-07, 09:25 PM
I like the Sam Adams Summer seasonal. Heck, I like all their seasonals.
I tend to agree. Sammy's regular beers are for the most part underwhelming. The seasonal and special brews are usually very good.

4bronxbombers
07-02-07, 08:40 AM

Agreed. Newcastle goes well with pretty much anything in my book. :gulp: :D

Jim F.
07-02-07, 09:03 AM
ummm, you should not have any beer in the fridge right now. Boss's orders.Sssshhh!

powerpinstripes
07-02-07, 04:30 PM
I had Otter Creek Summer yesterday. Quite good.:) :) :)

TheDynasty26
07-02-07, 04:37 PM
1 - Heineken
2 - Summer Ale
3 - Blue Moon
4 - Yuengling Lager
5 - Sam Cherry Wheat

4bronxbombers
07-02-07, 04:57 PM
1 - Heineken
2 - Summer Ale
3 - Blue Moon
4 - Yuengling Lager
5 - Sam Cherry Wheat

Love Sam Cherry Wheat. Good stuff. :)

In Mo I Trust
07-02-07, 06:13 PM
Love Sam Cherry Wheat. Good stuff. :)

Yeah that's good, I don't even like cherries that much, but that is a quality beer.

TheDynasty26
07-03-07, 09:25 AM
Based on straight taste it might be higher up for me than some of the others.....but their wayyyyy to heavy to drink 10 of......Heiney's on the other hand...

destelle
07-03-07, 09:41 AM
1 - Heineken
2 - Summer Ale
3 - Blue Moon
4 - Yuengling Lager
5 - Sam Cherry Wheat

I like everything on your list but the Heineken ;) ...
I also have to say that in the summer I am a big fan of Hefeweizen ... tried the Long Trial last week. pretty good.
My fav so far has been the Brooklyner Weisse...
Anyone have any recommendations on others to try?

TheDynasty26
07-03-07, 09:51 AM
Hmmm..... if you a fan of Stout beers there is Newcastle Brown Ale, which is tasty but heavy. If your lookin for a relaxing summer beer my recomendation would be Hogarden. Being in red bank i dont know if you can get Philly Beers, but there is a local beer around here callled Skuykill Punch, which is unreal, if youre ever in Philly and see it, strongly recomended.

destelle
07-03-07, 10:01 AM
Hmmm..... if you a fan of Stout beers there is Newcastle Brown Ale, which is tasty but heavy. If your lookin for a relaxing summer beer my recomendation would be Hogarden. Being in red bank i dont know if you can get Philly Beers, but there is a local beer around here callled Skuykill Punch, which is unreal, if youre ever in Philly and see it, strongly recomended.

I went to school in PA so I visit friends there a lot - I will check it out next time I'm in the area - and I do love Newcastle ...
Hoegaarden sounds good, too - I googled it ;-).
Thanks!!

TheDynasty26
07-03-07, 10:27 AM
When i posted that i knew i had misspelled Hoegaarden, but i just couldnt figure out what letter i was missing...didnt think many words had two A's consecutively

26 and counting
07-03-07, 06:08 PM
Why does beer always taste better in a glass? Whenever I'm at a restaurant and order beer, if they bring it to me in a bottle, I always ask for a glass.

Also, is it "manly" to drink a Blue Moon with an orange in it? I like Blue Moon with or without.

montrealer
07-04-07, 12:04 PM
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: Any Utica brands......

RhodeyYankee2638
07-04-07, 12:59 PM
for anyone that likes Cherry Wheat, ever tried the flavored Newport Storm beers?

TheYankee
07-04-07, 02:32 PM
I'm not a beer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but reading posts in this thread made me want to try something different...

I'm usually the Bud or Bud Light kind of guy, but just for kicks and giggles, I grabbed a 6-pack of Leinenkugel's Red last night... not bad, definitely better than the typical watered down beer I've been drinking for taste.

26 and counting
07-04-07, 10:32 PM
I'm not a beer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but reading posts in this thread made me want to try something different...

I'm usually the Bud or Bud Light kind of guy, but just for kicks and giggles, I grabbed a 6-pack of Leinenkugel's Red last night... not bad, definitely better than the typical watered down beer I've been drinking for taste.

I can't drink that Bud Light or Coors Light any more. I've been spoiled by much better brands of beer.

I like Blue Moon, Dos Equis, Bass Ale and Rolling Rock, just to name a few. Once in a while I'll get Franziskaner just to spice things up a bit.

TheYankee
07-05-07, 12:03 AM
I can't drink that Bud Light or Coors Light any more. I've been spoiled by much better brands of beer.

I like Blue Moon, Dos Equis, Bass Ale and Rolling Rock, just to name a few. Once in a while I'll get Franziskaner just to spice things up a bit.I used to drink beer for your typical college reason... not so much a fan of that anymore... I'd like to find a nice beer that I really enjoy drinking.

26 and counting
07-05-07, 12:17 AM
I used to drink beer for your typical college reason... not so much a fan of that anymore... I'd like to find a nice beer that I really enjoy drinking.

I really enjoy Blue Moon. It's not the kind of beer that I want to guzzle down - I want to drink it slowly so that I can savor the taste.

TheYankee
07-05-07, 12:40 AM
I really enjoy Blue Moon. It's not the kind of beer that I want to guzzle down - I want to drink it slowly so that I can savor the taste.May have to try that... if I can find any. Where I live, the selection isn't exactly all that large...

4bronxbombers
07-05-07, 08:10 AM
Why does beer always taste better in a glass? Whenever I'm at a restaurant and order beer, if they bring it to me in a bottle, I always ask for a glass.

Also, is it "manly" to drink a Blue Moon with an orange in it? I like Blue Moon with or without.

I prefer to drink beer out of the bottle and not a glass. Funny.

TheYankee
07-07-07, 11:01 PM
So I decided after finishing my Leinenkugel's Red to try their Berry Weiss. Not bad... not something I'd buy everytime, but nice for a change.

Jim F.
09-25-07, 11:16 AM
Just wanted to see what everyone is drinking for the fall... It's hard to adjust from the lighter/fruitier/wheatier beers of summer to the darker/maltier/hoppier Wiesn (Oktoberfest) beers. But it was an adjustment I was completely committed to making :). I've tried so far the Sam Adams Octoberfest (7/10), the Paulaner Oktoberfest (8/10), the Hacker-Pschorr Wiesn (8/10), the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale (4/10) (made a great marinade for chicken though!), and the Flying Fish Oktoberfish (6/10). Though the S.A. Octoberfest on draught was much better than what's in the bottles - I give it a (9/10). I'd still like to try the Spaten, but I haven't been able to find any fresh 6'ers of that yet (the one store near me had it from 2006!).

Overall, there were no real standouts. Maybe it's because the weather has still been on the warm side... the cool, brisk Autumn evenings haven't really started yet. Or maybe I'm just still craving the summer ales (the Anchor Steam Summer is still probably the best beer I've ever had - was only able to find 2 6'ers of it though between memorial day and July 4th. Next summer I'll buy a case or two...).

Can anyone make any recommendations for a good, fall brew? Or, what's everyone else drinking now? Maybe this would be a good time for me to try some standard (non-seasonal) offerings that I've been putting off.

-jim

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 11:21 AM
Ooh....I'd like to try the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale just cuz I like the name. :)

RhodeyYankee2638
09-25-07, 11:21 AM
Sam Adams has a pumpkin flavored beer that sucks hard. Its like eating a pumpkin pie, its really too strong

TheDynasty26
09-25-07, 11:24 AM
There is a great beer by Unibrau called Ephemere, which is an apple beer that is fantastic. Also Omagang brewers have a Whitt thats fantastic.

Those are my fall beers

mentalgidget
09-25-07, 11:49 AM
For all of the RI / Southeast MA beer lovers, make an efort to be here. ALways a great time...
http://www.beerfestamerica.com/

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 11:56 AM
For all of the RI / Southeast MA beer lovers, make an efort to be here. ALways a great time...

wow....that looks great. Too bad we have something planned on Nov 10th...I'd love to go to this.

Jim F.
09-25-07, 02:28 PM
If you like beer and lots of people, you could always check out Brewtopia NYC:

http://brewtopiafest.com

Arod for President
09-25-07, 02:42 PM
speaking of beer, one of my all time favorites is Killians Irish Red. I was in the supermarket the other day and I saw they were selling a killians irish red mustard. Of course I bought two. Sorry but I Havnt tried it yet..

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 02:48 PM
speaking of beer, one of my all time favorites is Killians Irish Red. I was in the supermarket the other day and I saw they were selling a killians irish red mustard. Of course I bought two. Sorry but I Havnt tried it yet..

Oohh....I love Killians Irish Red. :)

Humph
09-25-07, 02:57 PM
Sam Adams has a pumpkin flavored beer that sucks hard. Its like eating a pumpkin pie, its really too strong

That pumpkin ................ is probably the worst thing - beer or otherwise - I've ever tasted. I can't believe anyone likes it.

JeterForPresident
09-25-07, 03:19 PM
One of my new favorites is Blue Moon. It's really great and goes well with a piece of orange. They also have a Harvest Moon right now, which is a pumpkin flavored beer, it is ok, I just don't like pumpkins. I saw everyone was talking about pumpkin beer so I figured I would mention it.

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 03:30 PM
One of my new favorites is Blue Moon. It's really great and goes well with a piece of orange. They also have a Harvest Moon right now, which is a pumpkin flavored beer, it is ok, I just don't like pumpkins. I saw everyone was talking about pumpkin beer so I figured I would mention it.

That's one of my new favs too..... I love it. Some floozie recommended it to me and I really like it. :D

TheDynasty26
09-25-07, 04:03 PM
That's one of my new favs too..... I love it. Some floozie recommended it to me and I really like it. :D

Blue Moon is great stuff, they also have a really good summer ale....i think its called
"Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale"

fantastic.

mentalgidget
09-25-07, 04:09 PM

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat kicks Blue Moon's arse every day of the week... And I like Blue Moon

4bronxbombers
09-25-07, 04:10 PM
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat kicks Blue Moon's arse every day of the week... And I like Blue Moon

ok...I'll have to try that one too. :P

trapper700
09-25-07, 04:18 PM

saw this thread and was actually going to suggest blue moon... :D
I also really like magic hat #9 and circus boy, just stay away from the horrible mystery beer.

I've been looking for something new to try that's available at most bars, any suggestions?

RhodeyYankee2638
09-25-07, 04:23 PM

I'm gonna go to that this year, I hear its always amazing

TheDynasty26
09-25-07, 04:39 PM
saw this thread and was actually going to suggest blue moon... :D
I also really like magic hat #9 and circus boy, just stay away from the horrible mystery beer.

I've been looking for something new to try that's available at most bars, any suggestions?

Ever have these...they are popular...but not "regular" beers....available at classy bars, and if you are in the right place.

Hoegarrdden?
Yeungling Lager?
Omagang?

yankeesnumber1
09-25-07, 04:43 PM
Bard's Tale Beer...having celiac limits me to only gluten free beers....yeah it sucks to be me.

Bard's Tale isnt bad though, has a honey brown taste to it.

JeterForPresident
09-25-07, 05:15 PM
Ever have these...they are popular...but not "regular" beers....available at classy bars, and if you are in the right place.

Hoegarrdden?
Yeungling Lager?
Omagang?

Hoegarrden or however you spell it, is good but was a little too wheaty and grainy for me.

Yuengling is good, but nothing special.

Ommegang brewery is right by Cooperstown which is only about 30 mins from my college. So after a stop at the hall of fame, we decided to go for the brewery tour. It is a small brewery and a short tour, but was fun, free, and included free samples of their 4 or 5 different beers. They are all pretty good, on the stronger, more bitter tasting side, and not too expensive either.