PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Alaska?

JDPNYY
12-19-05, 08:17 PM
We're thinking about going to Alaska this summer on a cruise, has anyone ever been there?

Evil Empire
12-19-05, 08:18 PM
We're thinking about going to Alaska this summer on a cruise, has anyone ever been there?

So's my familia. But we've been saying that for a while now. :lol:

I've never been on a cruise.

I hear it's amazingly beautiful.

RhodyYanksFan
12-19-05, 08:25 PM
I really want to do an Alaskan cruise. I'm sure you'll have fun. I never heard any bad experiences from Alaska.

PinstripePride
12-19-05, 08:33 PM
I'm so jealous, John. I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Enjoy it, take a lot of pictures and post them when you get back.

yanksrule69
12-19-05, 08:48 PM
I was there when I was younger and we did a land/cruise tour (I think the land part was 5-7 days and then the cruise 7-10). Since I was younger I don't remember everything but the glaciers were really awesome. You would be cruising by and huge chunks of them would splash into the water. We also took one of those really small planes that lands on water and went on a tour of the glacier fields which was amazing.

It's weird that there is so much daylight - I can remember coming out of the movies at midnight or 1am and it being broad daylight.

If you have any questions I can try and answer them. I definitely recommend going. I know we were on a Holland America land/cruise tour.

yankeeschic12324
12-19-05, 09:27 PM
I've heard Alaska cruises are amazingly beautiful....

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 10:58 PM

i went on an Alaska cruise one summer when I was in college, with my brother and my father. It was really awesome, I def recommend it. You get to do a lot of adventurous stuff like white water rafting and glacier trekking and that sort of thing.

One drawback was there were not a lot of young people on the boat. Not like a Carribbean cruise or anything. So my brother and I didn't really get to meet many people. But Alaska was absolutely beautiful I highly reccomend it.

The best thing was when we were returing in to the Vancouver inlet, we were caught up in a pod of Killer whales (about 20 of them) and they were jumping out of the water and surrounding the boat. It was one of the coolest things I have seen in my life.

I also reccommend you stay a day or two in Vancouver, I think it is the most beautiful city in North America.

What cruise line are you taking?

CptCrunch
12-19-05, 11:47 PM
I've never been there, but the cruise sounds like something I'd like to do if I could find the time.

yankeebot
12-20-05, 04:30 AM
I lived there for a year. It was 1985 so I am sure that it is changed but one thing that will remain the same is the beauty. The word that comes to mind is majestic or perhaps breathtaking. Try to take as many side trips as the cruise offers. You will not be disappointed.

Trish
12-20-05, 06:20 AM
No sir

Nome
12-20-05, 06:53 AM
John,

I've been there about seven times and plan on another visit this summer. I've been there on cruises twice.
Can you believe I've never been to Nome? I want to go there one year (SOON!) to see the finish of the Iditerod. Any questions, I'd be glad to answer.
In my opinion the best way to go is to pick up an RV in Seattle, drive up through BC, the Yukon picking up the Alcan highway and taking that to Anchorage, then bussing it to Seward and taking the cruise back to Seattle. The RV portion is 2 weeks and the cruise 7 days.

I've been in Alaska in January. Great

Andy

yanksrule69
12-20-05, 08:00 AM
I also reccommend you stay a day or two in Vancouver, I think it is the most beautiful city in North America.

I recommend it also. I'm pretty sure most Alaskan cruises either depart from or conclude in Vancouver. We stayed an extra few days there. It's a lot like San Fransisco (I think they are "sister" cities) and it's definitely worth a few days.

JDPNYY
12-20-05, 08:39 AM
We're kinda in a Cruise Vacation mode. Went to Europe last summer (with the wife and 3 sons). Went to the Caribbean the summer before that (with the wife and 3 sons). Went to Bermuda the summer before that (just the wife and I for our 20th anniversary). We went Celebrity all three times. Prior to that we took a Carnival cruise about 9 years prior (not great). Had a nice time on all 3 Celebrity Cruises.

I've heard good things about Princess for Alaska. Looking into that for this trip (also for the change of pace).

Right now I'm looking into a one way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier (near Anchorage). The other option is a round trip from Seattle up & back. That one would be less expensive, but not as great. We'll probably stay a day or two in Vancouver... I can't get much more time off than a week or so at a time.

Thanks for the feedback so far... Keep it coming.

montrealer
12-24-05, 05:17 AM
I live in "Canada "does that count.........On the serious side some friends or ours went this past summer.SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......But a wee bit pricey.Try Banff,Alberta if you like hiking in the Rockies.

JDPNYY
12-24-05, 07:18 AM
I live in "Canada "does that count

no ...

texasyankee
12-24-05, 07:24 AM
Try to go visit the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge if you can. It's only on the northern slope of Alaska.
Also, if you happen to visit Dutch Harbor and/or Amchitka, let me know - my Dad was there in January, 1942. I'd like to know what it looks like these days and if there is any mention of the war.

Nome
12-24-05, 09:18 AM
I've been in Dutch Harbor and they still talk of the war. There are numerous relics of the war. Bunkers, artillery, etc. Go there. You'll love it. The ferry stops there.

Andy

JDPNYY
12-24-05, 09:21 AM
Try to go visit the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge if you can. It's only on the northern slope of Alaska.
Also, if you happen to visit Dutch Harbor and/or Amchitka, let me know - my Dad was there in January, 1942. I'd like to know what it looks like these days and if there is any mention of the war.

We won't be going that far up, nor that far over to see either of those sites. Someday maybe, but not this trip.

SoCal Pinstriper
12-24-05, 12:24 PM
We're thinking about going to Alaska this summer on a cruise, has anyone ever been there? :dunno: I came to this thread looking for a chuckle, and this is what I get? :upset:

JDPNYY
12-24-05, 12:31 PM
:dunno: I came to this thread looking for a chuckle, and this is what I get? :upset:

General Rule of Thumb:

Threads started by me are rarely funny. I need to have something to react to, to attempt humor (notice I used the word attempt...).

SoCal Pinstriper
12-24-05, 12:47 PM
General Rule of Thumb:

Threads started by me are rarely funny. I need to have something to react to, to attempt humor (notice I used the word attempt...).I just thought that you were taking a well deserved holiday weekend off (from being the most consistantly funny forumer here, IMO).

I've never been to Alaska, but if Vancouver is a travel stop along the way, spend a day there. It is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

texasyankee
12-24-05, 01:14 PM
I've been in Dutch Harbor and they still talk of the war. There are numerous relics of the war. Bunkers, artillery, etc. Go there. You'll love it. The ferry stops there.

Andy

Yeah, I need to take a trip there.

WashingtonYankee
12-24-05, 02:26 PM

JDPNYY... ask me anything as I'm from Alaska (originally) and I've worked in Skagway. I'm not sure if your thinking about the Inside Passage and a stop is Skagway. Just PM me anything you want to know. I highly recommend it.

WashingtonYankee
12-24-05, 02:28 PM
We're kinda in a Cruise Vacation mode. Went to Europe last summer (with the wife and 3 sons). Went to the Caribbean the summer before that (with the wife and 3 sons). Went to Bermuda the summer before that (just the wife and I for our 20th anniversary). We went Celebrity all three times. Prior to that we took a Carnival cruise about 9 years prior (not great). Had a nice time on all 3 Celebrity Cruises.

I've heard good things about Princess for Alaska. Looking into that for this trip (also for the change of pace).

Right now I'm looking into a one way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier (near Anchorage). The other option is a round trip from Seattle up & back. That one would be less expensive, but not as great. We'll probably stay a day or two in Vancouver... I can't get much more time off than a week or so at a time.

Thanks for the feedback so far... Keep it coming.

Ok, so Vancouver is nice.... Whittier is ok... my Dad use to have a route from Anchorage to there (he was a railroad engineer). The Princess is something I highly recommend.

Casey37
12-24-05, 04:06 PM
My neighbors went on a trip to Alaska, and their description of the trip upon their return was "magnificent". Believe me, coming from them, that's a huge compliment.

DontHateOnNumber2
12-25-05, 12:32 AM
I've never been there but have always thought of Alaska as this huge mass of frozen tundra. A cruise there? Laughable! Just kidding, have fun if you go. :D

texasyankee
12-25-05, 06:22 AM
I've never been there but have always thought of Alaska as this huge mass of frozen tundra.

Actually, you are correct. If Alaska were to ever thaw completely, it would shrink to a size slightly smaller than Texas.

Random
12-25-05, 07:19 AM
I agree about Vancouver -- great city, and the aquarium is incredible!

I have been to 35 states, but Alaska is not one of them. I will get there eventually, but it might be one of the last ones I get to, just b/c of geography, not b/c I don't want to go.

WashingtonYankee
01-04-06, 10:23 PM
Actually, you are correct. If Alaska were to ever thaw completely, it would shrink to a size slightly smaller than Texas.

But remember, Alaska hasn't and Alaska is still the biggest state in the US! :P

Coney36
01-04-06, 10:53 PM
I've been to the airport in Juneau for a connecting flight, does that count?

Random
01-05-06, 05:12 AM
I've been to the airport in Juneau for a connecting flight, does that count?

No, airports are inter-statal territories, not owned by any state. They are the equivalent of international waters. To truly enter a state, you have to leave the airport. ;)

JDPNYY
02-18-06, 03:22 PM
As my winter vacation is drawing to a close (here in Florida), we have made arrangements to take a round trip cruise from Seattle up to Alaska this summer. We're going on the Dawn Princess. Gonna spend 2 days in Seattle before we get on the big ship. Something to look forward to for the next 5 months or so.

Nome
02-18-06, 05:34 PM
As my winter vacation is drawing to a close (here in Florida), we have made arrangements to take a round trip cruise from Seattle up to Alaska this summer. We're going on the Dawn Princess. Gonna spend 2 days in Seattle before we get on the big ship. Something to look forward to for the next 5 months or so.

When do you leave?

You'll find this one of the greatest trips you've ever taken.

Andy

JDPNYY
02-18-06, 07:58 PM
When do you leave?

You'll find this one of the greatest trips you've ever taken.

Andy

The end of July. Stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway (excuse the spelling, if I'm wrong). Also Victoria BC. They have some amazing looking land tours as well, but I just don't have the time to do any of those. Someday down the road I'll no doubt go back and do those as well.

Nome
02-19-06, 06:19 AM
The end of July. Stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway (excuse the spelling, if I'm wrong). Also Victoria BC. They have some amazing looking land tours as well, but I just don't have the time to do any of those. Someday down the road I'll no doubt go back and do those as well.

Victoria is a beautiful town. I'll be there the end of July also. We're fishing for Coho salmon, halibut and Cod in Uceulet on the central western part of Victoria Island. We are also going to spend two days in Vancouver.

Andy

texasyankee
02-19-06, 08:51 AM
Victoria is a beautiful town. I'll be there the end of July also. We're fishing for Coho salmon, halibut and Cod in Uceulet on the central western part of Victoria Island. We are also going to spend two days in Vancouver.

Andy

That's neat. Sounds like you go up there often, Andy, is that the case?

BTW: I cant recall whether it's an Alaska state law or some local law, but there's a new law starting "next year" that people cant feed the bald eagles.

Nome
02-19-06, 10:31 AM
That's neat. Sounds like you go up there often, Andy, is that the case?

BTW: I cant recall whether it's an Alaska state law or some local law, but there's a new law starting "next year" that people cant feed the bald eagles.

I try to get to the Northern West Coast BC/Alaska at least once a year for fishing.

Homer is reputed to have the greatest population of Bald Eagles in the world. Juneau isn't far behind. The natives consider them varments. In Homer, a law was recently passed to dissallow feeding Bald Eagles because of their nuisance problems (much like deer in my area). Bur the "Bald Eagle" lady, who has become famous for her feeding them was made exempt from the law.

I am planning a January trip to Alaska. We'll stay in the Captain Bartlett Inn in Fairbanks (a quaint old Inn) then go to Chena Hot Springs for about four days and take in the Northern Lights (usually best seen from say 1-3 AM) and then return to Fairbanks taking in the North Pole (a christmas shop). I'm looking forward to it as much as any vacation I have ever taken. In fact the best vacation we ever had was flying into Seattle, picking up a 21'RV and driving up to BC, the Yukon and then taking the Alcan highway all the way through Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage, a two week trip. . We dropped the RV in Anchorage and then were bussed to Seward where we got on The HollandsLines SS Rotterdam for a one week trip down the insidfe passage back to Seattle.

I've got to do that once more before I meet my maker.

Andy

texasyankee
02-19-06, 10:56 AM
Homer is reputed to have the greatest population of Bald Eagles in the world. Juneau isn't far behind. The natives consider them varments. In Homer, a law was recently passed to dissallow feeding Bald Eagles because of their nuisance problems (much like deer in my area). Bur the "Bald Eagle" lady, who has become famous for her feeding them was made exempt from the law.

Andy

That's the particular law I heard mentioned recently, along with the exemption granted for the "Bald Eagle" lady.

Stick Michael
02-19-06, 01:41 PM
We're going on the Dawn Princess. Gonna spend 2 days in Seattle before we get on the big ship.

I just hope this isn't one of those 'discount' cruiseships whose captain's name is Joseph Hazelwood...

James

Nome
02-19-06, 01:50 PM
I just hope this isn't one of those 'discount' cruiseships whose captain's name is Joseph Hazelwood...

James

The Dawn Princess is a great ship. I've been on it. In fact we had a repositioning cruise on it about four years ago of 19 days where we cruised up the Inside Passage from Seattle, over to Kodiac, down through the Aleutian Islands, across the Pacific, to Vladavstok, Russia, then to Puson, S Korea and to Sapporo, and Hiroshimo and home through Kyoto. We even went through three typhoons on the trip. A great trip. In fact we renewed our vows (after almost 40 years) on that trip with the Captain participating. They even upgraded us from a mini suite to a full suite. One of the best trips ever.

Man I love Alaska

Andy