PDA

View Full Version : The Shield on F/X

TinoFan84
12-14-05, 09:22 AM
New season starts on January 10th at 10 pm ... I can't wait. I love this show, it's one of my favorites. The promo is "This season, Conscience is a Killer" ... can't wait to see where they're going with this, especially since I've heard this may be the last season. Has anyone else heard that?

JWHIII
12-14-05, 10:13 AM
New season starts on January 10th at 10 pm ... I can't wait. I love this show, it's one of my favorites. The promo is "This season, Conscience is a Killer" ... can't wait to see where they're going with this, especially since I've heard this may be the last season. Has anyone else heard that?
I didn't hear that this is the last season, but I hope not. The Shield is an awesome show and I can't wait for the premiere. :)

thecaptain
12-14-05, 10:33 AM
FX has firmed up some of its plans for 2006.

Leading off things in January will be the fifth season premiere of "The Shield." The series is expected to run for 11 episodes, after which it will take a break until either the fall or next January (depending upon how season three of "Rescue Me" and presumably the fourth season of "Nip/Tuck" are scheduled) when the latter half of its 21-episode season will air.,,,( They order 8 more show from 13 to 21)
.Actor-director Forest Whitaker ("The Crying Game," "Panic Room") has joined the cast for the show's fifth season. He'll play a hard-charging Internal Affairs detective who goes after Mackey (Michael Chiklis) and the strike team for their various misdeeds.

thecaptain
12-14-05, 10:35 AM
'Shield' Reruns >>>Spike TV will begin weekly airings of the series in March.Also Recent "The Shield" collaborators David Mamet and Shawn Ryan have been given a green light to produce the drama pilot, which now is running under the title "The Unit." IT will be on CBS.

JWHIII
12-14-05, 10:42 AM
Whitaker should be a good addition to the show, Glenn Close did an excellent job last season.

thecaptain
12-14-05, 02:48 PM
Whitaker should be a good addition to the show, Glenn Close did an excellent job last season.Yes looking forward to this season. Close would have stayed but she want to be in New York with her family and the show is done in LA (i think) . I think its one of the best shows on TV. The only bad thing was just 13 shows a year .

brosiusbuddy
12-14-05, 05:19 PM
best show on television. I have all the dvds and i've seen them over and over. I cant wait to see season 5.

sidenote, I met Michael Chiklis after the second season in the Bahamas. Even though he was with his fam, he took the time to talk to me and my buds for a little bit and was sincerely grateful for my praise of the show and his acting.... can't wait.

mr. baskums
12-14-05, 05:22 PM
I love this show, can't wait for it to start.

TinoFan84
12-19-05, 01:59 PM
FX has firmed up some of its plans for 2006.

Leading off things in January will be the fifth season premiere of "The Shield." The series is expected to run for 11 episodes, after which it will take a break until either the fall or next January (depending upon how season three of "Rescue Me" and presumably the fourth season of "Nip/Tuck" are scheduled) when the latter half of its 21-episode season will air.,,,( They order 8 more show from 13 to 21)
.Actor-director Forest Whitaker ("The Crying Game," "Panic Room") has joined the cast for the show's fifth season. He'll play a hard-charging Internal Affairs detective who goes after Mackey (Michael Chiklis) and the strike team for their various misdeeds.

Thanks for the update ... but only 11 episodes before it breaks? That sucks. But at least it will be back (eventually) to finish out a full season ...

I need to get the DVD's on this show, I just love it.

On an unrelated DVD note, I just saw where the first season of Hill Street Blues is finally going to be released on DVD on January 31st. Another one of my all time favorite shows. Now I know what to ask for for my birthday in February!

mr. baskums
01-09-06, 01:06 PM
Just a reminder that the new season starts tomorrow :)

yay!!

TinoFan84
01-09-06, 01:12 PM
I know, I can't wait ... there was an article in this week's tv guide about the new season if anyone is interested.

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-06, 01:33 PM
I never watched this show. I don't have time for it. If he's such a dirty cop, is he the good guy or are we rooting for him to go down?

BronxByTheBay
01-09-06, 03:10 PM
I never watched this show. I don't have time for it. If he's such a dirty cop, is he the good guy or are we rooting for him to go down?

It's one of the reasons why it's such a great show...maybe the best on television. He is a dirty cop. A complete lowlife. And we are also constantly rooting for him. The Shield is as good as any of the "biggies" - Sopranos, Deadwood, Lost - you name it. The only mark against the show is that for all the wonderful writing, some of the dialogue comes across as hokey (bizarre disconnect on that note. I mean the writing is WONDERFUL - really deep, nuanced stuff. But some of the stuff they have the characters say...good Lord...) But that is a minor point - most of the time every word is stellar. And The Shield, hands down, provides more "I-can't-believe-I-just-saw-that" moments than virtually any television show I've ever watched.

I can't wait for the new season to begin. I like Whittaker a lot, but I'm a little tired of the "film actor guest stars for a season" bit. I HATED last season's use of Glenn Close. The fact that it was Glenn Close forced the producers to stick her into scenes she had no business being in.

The Shield should always be focused on Vic. Possibly the best character on television.

gdn
01-09-06, 03:20 PM
It's always looked interesting, but I've never been able to watch it.

On a side note, there were two other shows that premiered on F/X earlier this year: the one about the people with the eating disorder (I forget what it was called) and the one about the guys running the bar (Philadelphia... something). I thought the first of those was pretty darn funny. I wonder what happened....

BronxByTheBay
01-09-06, 03:26 PM
It's always looked interesting, but I've never been able to watch it.

On a side note, there were two other shows that premiered on F/X earlier this year: the one about the people with the eating disorder (I forget what it was called) and the one about the guys running the bar (Philadelphia... something). I thought the first of those was pretty darn funny. I wonder what happened....

Starved! YES! Great, great show. Unfortunately, it appears you and I were the only people watching as it was cancelled.

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-06, 03:29 PM
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" was pretty funny. I like most F/X shows. Rescue Me is amazing. Does anyone remember "Lucky" starring John Corbett? It was one for one season about a former WSOP winner who was down on his luck? Very amusing and more entertaining then that crap "Tilt" show.

gdn
01-09-06, 03:32 PM
Starved! YES! Great, great show. Unfortunately, it appears you and I were the only people watching as it was cancelled.Starved!! Yep. I loved that show. Pretty funny. I didn't even know it was cancelled :(

thecaptain
01-09-06, 03:49 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was picked up. Danny DeVito will be in it this season....... The series' second season is set to debut in June. Its only 10 shows

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-06, 03:53 PM
The Shield should always be focused on Vic. Possibly the best character on television.

Jack Bauer might have something to say about that.

BronxByTheBay
01-09-06, 04:16 PM
Jack Bauer might have something to say about that.

I love 24 and I love Sutherland in it, but Vic Mackey is a much deeper character than Jack Bauer. There really aren't any layers to Bauer.

gdn
01-09-06, 04:18 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was picked up. Danny DeVito will be in it this season....... The series' second season is set to debut in June. Its only 10 showsThat's sad. Starved was a much better show. (Not that IASIP isn't a good show).

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-06, 08:26 PM
I love 24 and I love Sutherland in it, but Vic Mackey is a much deeper character than Jack Bauer. There really aren't any layers to Bauer.

I won't argue because I don't watch The Shield.

tdel23
01-10-06, 08:43 AM
I started watching the show late but thanks to netflix i'm almost caught up, I think I'm a season behind which sucks because I really don't want to start watching the new season whne I haven't seen the last one yet.

gdn
01-10-06, 09:29 AM
I love 24 and I love Sutherland in it, but Vic Mackey is a much deeper character than Jack Bauer. There really aren't any layers to Bauer.That's because Bauer knows it's a weakness to have "layers" and "feelings".

BronxByTheBay
01-10-06, 10:16 AM
That's because Bauer knows it's a weakness to have "layers" and "feelings".

That may be, but it's also a weakness in the writing. It's why The Shield is a much more compelling show. 24 only clicks when it amps up the thriller/what the f*ck will happen next quotient. The Shield clicks in virtually every scene, every show. 24 definately can't say that as most of us black out during certain stretches COUGHcougarsCOUGH.

gdn
01-10-06, 10:17 AM
That may be, but it's also a weakness in the writing. It's why The Shield is a much more compelling show. 24 only clicks when it amps up the thriller/what the f*ck will happen next quotient. The Shield clicks in virtually every scene, every show. 24 definately can't say that as most of us black out during certain stretches COUGHcougarsCOUGH.I was only kidding :p I haven't watched The Shield extensively (or much at all) so I can hardly speak to any comparisions between the two shows.

Bauer does have layers, btw - he just puts them aside when he's saving the world in 24 hours.

TinoFan84
01-10-06, 01:24 PM
I was hooked on The Shield from the very first episode ... how can you not be intrigued by a show where the main character kills another cop in the very first episode?!

thecaptain
01-10-06, 02:29 PM
I was hooked on The Shield from the very first episode ... how can you not be intrigued by a show where the main character kills another cop in the very first episode?!I read thats suppose to come into play this season. if i remember right only Shane and Vic know about it not the whole team.. i remember Michael Chiklis on a talk show telling how he liked the script but never thought it would get made ...

flutie22
01-15-06, 10:29 PM
im so pissed i dont know if its just my cable company but i couldnt watch it tonight because the sound was all funked up

JWHIII
01-17-06, 03:45 PM
New episode tonight. I wonder if Lemansky will turn on Vic or the Strike Team?