PDA

View Full Version : Torre On The FAN Mon. 12/12/05

Ct.Fan
12-12-05, 03:21 PM
Centerfield- Ok with Crosby for now- wait and see attitude
Cano- likes him at 2nd base- no move to center likely for him.
Farnsworth- 2 quality pitches, good slider but needs to be consistent with it.
He wanted to be in NY and thinks he can handle the stress.
Sturtze- Good compliment to Farnsworth.
Girardi- Basically thinks he got screwed!
Red Sox- Beckett is huge, Lowell should perform better. Renteria move is puzzling. Tejada would be a natural for them.
Chacon- Looks like he is comfortable and hopes he can coninue to perform...same for Wang...back of rotation guys.
Blue Jays- Maturing, good ballclub last year and now legitimate threat.
Randy Johnson- adjustment period last year-looking forward to a different approach this year.
WBC- Concern for pitching, physically a concern for them...not as concerned with position players.

HouseThatRingsBuild
12-12-05, 03:43 PM
He also said Cano's ability to turn a double play can't be taught

BillBuckner
12-12-05, 03:45 PM
Good info. Thanks for the post Ct Fan.

Snatch Catch
12-12-05, 03:53 PM
Randy Johnson- adjustment period last year-looking forward to a different approach this year.

Hmm...I wonder why his approach would be different this year? :-ponder-:

hardrain
12-12-05, 03:54 PM
thanks for the info. Glad Cano is staying put.

BigBats
12-12-05, 03:55 PM
Thanks...good stuff. :)

lem
12-12-05, 03:56 PM

That's just a filler phrase.

mhmajp
12-12-05, 04:06 PM

I think it's partially filler, but also something people say to refer to the mental adjustment that players go through in the first year in NY.

Bub
12-12-05, 04:09 PM
Also said he's glad Cashman didn't make a move just for the sake of making a move. He sounds like he really doesn't want to part with Wang or Cano unless it's a real no-brainer.

Jasbro
12-12-05, 04:10 PM
I think it's partially filler, but also something people say to refer to the mental adjustment that players go through in the first year in NY.

I agree 100%. Torre said that much of RJ's inconsistency last year "came from what he had to go through here, some of which was self-imposed." And that RJ told him after Game 5 of the ALDS, that "things will be different next year."

FelipePArantes
12-12-05, 04:17 PM
Is there any chance we don't have either chacon or wang in Starting rotation?

DJ27
12-12-05, 04:17 PM

Ala A-Rod?? I hope RJ comes back like A-Rod's second year here!! However, age sets a limitation to this.

Jasbro
12-12-05, 04:19 PM
Is there some chance we don't have either chacon or wang in Starting rotation?

I don't have a link, but Torre recently said that only Moose and RJ have guaranteed slots in the rotation right now, and that everyone else will basically be competing for the final 3 slots in Spring Training.

RobRiv
12-12-05, 04:20 PM
did Joe say anything about Bernie's role with the team next season?
anything about Clemens, Damon, or any other free agents?

FelipePArantes
12-12-05, 04:21 PM
I don't have a link, but Torre recently said that only Moose and RJ have guaranteed slots in the rotation right now, and that everyone else will basically be competing for the final 3 slots in Spring Training.

But I can't belive he would be stupid enough to keep one of them out of rotation. Because IMO, Pavano and wright should compete for 1 spot.

BYE

Jasbro
12-12-05, 04:23 PM
But I can't belive he would be stupid enough to keep one of them out of rotation. Because IMO, Pavano and wright should compete for 1 spot.

BYE

He said at the time that some of the guys are better suited for the bullpen than others, but did not get into specifics regarding each pitcher....it is not a question of being stupid or smart, it is more an issue that there are currently 7 guys for 5 slots....

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-12-05, 04:27 PM

BYE

Hopefully Pavano is traded.

FelipePArantes
12-12-05, 04:29 PM
Hopefully Pavano is traded.

I couldn't agree more...

rob in boston
12-12-05, 04:37 PM
Centerfield- Ok with Crosby for now- wait and see attitude
Cano- likes him at 2nd base- no move to center likely for him.
Farnsworth- 2 quality pitches, good slider but needs to be consistent with it.
He wanted to be in NY and thinks he can handle the stress.
Sturtze- Good compliment to Farnsworth.
Girardi- Basically thinks he got screwed!
Red Sox- Beckett is huge, Lowell should perform better. Renteria move is puzzling. Tejada would be a natural for them.
Chacon- Looks like he is comfortable and hopes he can coninue to perform...same for Wang...back of rotation guys.
Blue Jays- Maturing, good ballclub last year and now legitimate threat.
WBC- Concern for pitching, physically a concern for them...not as concerned with position players.

Chacon was the yankees #1 down the strech and if torre started him game 1 and 5 instead of the injured Moose, who knows what would have happened.

Bub
12-12-05, 04:41 PM
Is there any chance we don't have either chacon or wang in Starting rotation?Torre played politics when talking about Wang and Chacon. What he said was that they cannot depend on 2 guys who were brought in as mid-season fixes. Instead, they will rely on Moose, Pavano, Wright and Johnson. However, he thinks both Wang and Chacon will contribute to the team.

Now, listening "between the lines," what I think he said was that he doesn't trust that 2 of his premier starters will be healthy and productive, so he's counting on Chacon and Wang to fill in the holes once that happens. Now that's only my speculation listening, but I'm pretty confident that's what he's thinking.

24Rickey
12-12-05, 05:23 PM
Chacon was the yankees #1 down the strech and if torre started him game 1 and 5 instead of the injured Moose, who knows what would have happened.

The rotation he set was OK. RJ just didn't perform.

The Dynasty
12-12-05, 05:42 PM

Agreed.

I'd love to see an RJ-Chacon-Moose-Wang foursome come the beginning of the season.

ryanthe13th
12-12-05, 05:53 PM

Torre Being Torre.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-12-05, 06:10 PM

and the bullpen also sucked that night

ryanthe13th
12-12-05, 06:16 PM
and the bullpen also sucked that night

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Nobody wants to acknowledge that the loss might not be exclusively RJ's fault.

Ct.Fan
12-12-05, 06:20 PM
did Joe say anything about Bernie's role with the team next season?
anything about Clemens, Damon, or any other free agents?

Not that I recall, and I don't think he was asked about Bernie. Leads me to think they decided not to discuss him on air? Nothing on other free agents and I'm sure he wouldn't discuss anyone in particular anyway.

Snatch Catch
12-12-05, 06:21 PM
Torre Being Torre.

Everyone's missing the obvious...

ryanm1058123
12-12-05, 06:27 PM

*cough* Mel *cough*

DeputyFife
12-12-05, 06:29 PM
Everyone's missing the obvious...

*cough* Mel *cough*

Not everyone. ;)

23and2
12-12-05, 06:41 PM
Another reason to be afraid...

During the wfan interview, Torre again said that his biggest mistake in Game 5 of the ALDS was starting Bubba instead of Bernie. He said that if Bernie had started, he would never had gotten to the ball (it would have been SHeff's) and the collision would never happen.

Be afraid if (next season) Torre has a choice to use the veteran Bernie over Bubba in certain situations out in the field.

hardrain
12-12-05, 06:43 PM

During the wfan interview, Torre again said that his biggest mistake in Game 5 of the ALDS was starting Bubba instead of Bernie. He said that if Bernie had started, he would never had gotten to the ball (it would have been SHeff's) and the collision would never happen.

Be afraid if (next season) Torre has a choice to use the veteran Bernie over Bubba in certain situations out in the field.

Wow. That is exactly what I am afraid of. Torre actually thought it was a mistake to play the guy who covers more ground. Amazing. :mad:

ryanthe13th
12-12-05, 06:50 PM

Here we go again. This is exactly why resigning Bernie is an awful idea.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-12-05, 06:56 PM
So basically our Starting Centerfield will be Bernie Williams at this point in time. Real fricking great. There arent that many good options next year either imo.

hardrain
12-12-05, 06:58 PM
So basically our Starting Centerfield will be Bernie Williams at this point in time. Real fricking great. There arent that many good options next year either imo.

:mad: :mad:
I bet Bernie will play 110 games in Center. Nothing's changed.

JDPNYY
12-12-05, 07:00 PM

I guarantee that someone will play more games in CF for the Yankees in 2006 than Bernie & Bubba combined.

Tifoso
12-12-05, 07:00 PM

Thinking out loud: isn't it possible that the Yanks are floating this "option" to drive the price(s) of the real candidate(s) down?

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-12-05, 07:07 PM
Thinking out loud: isn't it possible that the Yanks are floating this "option" to drive the price(s) of the real candidate(s) down?

If it was anyone but the loyal and stubburn Torre I would believe that.

Jasbro
12-12-05, 07:12 PM

I am sorry, but this is misrepresenting the context in which Torre said what he said. He led up to everything by saying "Sometimes you make the right move and the wrong thing happens." He then elaborated by referencing having Bubba in for Bernie that game and the irony that Williams would not have even gotten to that ball.

Nowhere in his story was there an implication that Bernie was the better choice for CF that game. He simply said that making the right move (not starting Bernie) resulted in the wrong thing (the collision between Bubba and Shef).

ryanthe13th
12-12-05, 07:16 PM
I am sorry, but this is misrepresenting the context in which Torre said what he said. He led up to everything by saying "Sometimes you make the right move and the wrong thing happens." He then elaborated by referencing having Bubba in for Bernie that game and the irony that Williams would not have even gotten to that ball.

Nowhere in his story was there an implication that Bernie was the better choice for CF that game. He simply said that making the right move (not starting Bernie) resulted in the wrong thing (the collision between Bubba and Shef).

My day just improved.

hardrain
12-12-05, 07:38 PM
I guarantee that someone will play more games in CF for the Yankees in 2006 than Bernie & Bubba combined.

I certainly hope so

longtimeyankeefan
12-12-05, 07:47 PM

Well, I am certainly glad that someone out there is willing to put Joe's comments in context.

I would also suggest that Joe's comments can be interpreted as "if Bubba and Sheff had played together a significant amount of time prior to this play, the collision probably would not have occurred as they would both have been better versed in the other's range."

hellonewman
12-12-05, 07:49 PM

Nowhere in his story was there an implication that Bernie was the better choice for CF that game.Thank you. I heard the interview (that part of it, anyway) and your recollection is right on.

The way panic spontaneously combusts around here is something else.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hardrain
12-12-05, 07:53 PM
Thank you. I heard the interview (that part of it, anyway) and your recollection is right on.

The way panic spontaneously combusts around here is something else.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I admit I was part of the widespread panic, but can you blame us? Who wants one's worst fears to come true? I love Bernie, but he can't play center anymore. We all know that.

hellonewman
12-12-05, 08:03 PM
Well, I admit I was part of the widespread panic, but can you blame us? Who wants one's worst fears to come true? I love Bernie, but he can't play center anymore. We all know that.Hey, it's no biggie ... it's just that you'll save yourself a lot of heart attacks by remembering that a lot of what you read on message boards is either incomplete or inaccurate or both.

What was that old saying Ronald Reagan liked to use? "Trust, but verify ..."
:)

longtimeyankeefan
12-12-05, 08:16 PM
Hey, it's no biggie ... it's just that you'll save yourself a lot of heart attacks by remembering that a lot of what you read on message boards is either incomplete or inaccurate or both.

What was that old saying Ronald Reagan liked to use? "Trust, but verify ..."
:)

If only Bush had practiced that adage

Don Mack
12-12-05, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23and2

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go again. This is exactly why resigning Bernie is an awful idea.
------------------------------------------------------------
I agree 100% that signing Bernie is an awful idea but it's hard to believe Torre was serious in what he said about starting Bernie over Crosby. A little more to the right of Sheffield and Bernie could have easily turned that into an inside the park homer.

Another thing I fear is that if we should sign Nomar, will Torre use him everyday either as a DH or in the field relieving someone .... or will we see him sitting on the bench as Bernie becomes Joe's choice for the DH job and hits a big .241. I'm really worried about this already and I pray someone will come along and offer Bernie 5 million to play for them and he takes it.

buntsalot2
12-12-05, 09:16 PM
If only Bush had practiced that adage

as in Bush League?

Torre still is the goat for the immaculate collision. He knew Bubba could track down a shooting star whereas Bern would have just been admiring the shimmering night sky. Oh, and Sheff was catching live rounds and was in fact an accident looking to happen. This is what makes and breaks the great managers from the rest of the wannabes. Sorry Joe but your judgements are slipping gears in the transmission of the Evil Empire's juggernaut. ;)

BobbyMurcerFan
12-13-05, 11:02 AM

Be afraid if (next season) Torre has a choice to use the veteran Bernie over Bubba in certain situations out in the field.This is a TOTAL MISCHARACTERIZATION of what Torre ACTUALLY said. :argh:

Xhibit
12-13-05, 12:23 PM
I have never been a big fan of the RJ acquisition and was extremely critical of him throughout his struggles last year. That being said, I think he made a turn towards the end of the year and he started pitching like the dominant ace he's supposed to be. Unfortunately all those good performances at the end of the year were completely negated by his stinker in game 3. If not for that stinker, we're all probably talking about how RJ will build off how he ended the year and how he would be the RJ we thought we were getting.

indianyanksfan
12-13-05, 12:48 PM
I have never been a big fan of the RJ acquisition and was extremely critical of him throughout his struggles last year. That being said, I think he made a turn towards the end of the year and he started pitching like the dominant ace he's supposed to be. Unfortunately all those good performances at the end of the year were completely negated by his stinker in game 3. If not for that stinker, we're all probably talking about how RJ will build off how he ended the year and how he would be the RJ we thought we were getting.

he sort of made up for it with his relief appearance in game 5. didnt allow a run at all.

maybe starting the season out west will do him some good.

Dr. Gonzo
12-13-05, 12:55 PM
if joe really blames losing the game on putting the superior defender out there, then he is an idiot and I never want to see him manage again. You can't manage in fear of collisions, you put guys out there who can go get the ball.

Yankees1962
12-13-05, 12:56 PM

Torre wasn't serious and it was an attempt at poor humor on his part. Both, Mike and the Mad Dog have mentioned that scenario beforehand in jest.

Yankees1962
12-13-05, 12:57 PM
if joe really blames losing the game on putting the superior defender out there, then he is an idiot and I never want to see him manage again. You can't manage in fear of collisions, you put guys out there who can go get the ball.
Can you guys give Torre a little more credit than that. As been stated before, he was kidding with Mike and the Mad Dog.

nyctalopia
12-13-05, 01:12 PM

Why post something that is so absolutely wrong? That's not what he said at all! I hate it when biased people twist words and make stupid comments like this. You should go write for ESPN.

Sam18
12-13-05, 01:45 PM
Its crap like this that gives a bad name to people who criticize Torre honestly.

23and2
12-13-05, 03:19 PM
Apologies.. I had to go back and listen again. Torre said that his decision to start Bubba was the RIGHT decision, but turned out bad.. because if he had started Bernie in CF, the collision would never have happened. However, I still stand by my opinion that if Torre has the decision to make again, he'd start Bernie over Bubba.