PDA

View Full Version : Is Roger Clemens pulling shenanigans again?

premct
12-06-05, 10:39 AM
Anyone else find it fishy that Clemens' agent announces that he is pondering retirement right around the time that the Astros can offer him arbitration? If he isn't offered arbitration, then he can't sign with the Astros until May 1st.

Doesn't this seem pretty similar to the situation when he was with the Yankees and he was doing the same thing? If so, what are his motives? Does he think that the Astros won't be able to compete for a ring next year? Does he want to go somewhere else to finish his career like Texas, Boston, or dare I say, a return to the Yanks?!?

Let me know what you all think...

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-05, 10:41 AM
I don't think it is shenanigans, I think that Roger Clemens is just an asshole and is up to his asshole tricks.

38Special
12-06-05, 10:43 AM
Me too. It's forcing the Astros hand. They cant stand to lose him, but if they offer him arbitration he can just sit back and watch them get slammed in the ass by the arbitrator.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-06-05, 10:46 AM
This is different than what happened with the Yankees. He essentially retired after the Marlins World Series, remember his whole tipping his hat coming off the mound thing and the standing O from the Marlins players and fans? And they the Astros signed his bestest friend in the whole wide world in Pettitte, essentially let him do whatever he wanted as a member of the team (don't go on road trips if he didn't need to start), and basically play in his own backyard. The Yankees got blindsided, simple as that.

This Astros thing is much trickier since he might have a change of heart and if he accepts arbitration the Astros will be on the hook for a ton of money. Personally, I think he's done. When his mom passed away, and now after another World Series trip, it's probably best for him to hang them up and he can have his last hurrah as part of that US team.

YankyDave
12-06-05, 10:47 AM
Anything for attention Roger............go away

Darth_Takeo
12-06-05, 10:48 AM
Don't want him back... He'd break down in the postseason again if he returns (and his team makes it that far)...

gdn
12-06-05, 10:52 AM
Oh I don't know. I'm sure the Yankees would sign him.

IronCaballo4
12-06-05, 10:58 AM
It must drive the Astros NUTS that their offseasons hinge on the decisions of one player

ojo
12-06-05, 10:59 AM
Oh I don't know. I'm sure the Yankees would sign him.

in a heartbeat they would.

gdn
12-06-05, 11:00 AM
It really isn't fair on his part. Wasn't the scenario pretty similar last year too? They waited and waited, knowing that a large chunk of money would be tied up and that hindered them from making other moves.

yankeebot
12-06-05, 11:04 AM
I don't think it is shenanigans, I think that Roger Clemens is just an asshole and is up to his asshole tricks.
Exactly. The Astros knew exactly what they were getting into with him and they chose to go that route. They can walk away any time.

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:13 AM
I don't think it is shenanigans, I think that Roger Clemens is just an asshole and is up to his asshole tricks. PLEASE do not call the the Rocket that! He is a classy guy who can still bring it who is torn between doing something he loves and his family. Need you forget, he helped the Yankees to win 2 world championships.

Dare I say you are a a-hole, calling him one,sir!

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:13 AM
Exactly. The Astros knew exactly what they were getting into with him and they chose to go that route. They can walk away any time.please read the post above, jack a--!

Irabu's Son
12-06-05, 11:14 AM

I think that is the truest quote of the year.

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:16 AM
I think that is the truest quote of the year. UNFRICKINGBELIEVEABLE!

gdn
Oh this is going to get exciting :lol:

Irabu's Son
PLEASE do not call the the Rocket that! He is a classy guy who can still bring it who is torn between doing something he loves and his family. Need you forget, he helped the Yankees to win 2 world championships.

Nuked in 5, 4, 3, 2....

ojo
12-06-05, 11:18 AM
PLEASE do not call the the Rocket that! He is a classy guy who can still bring it who is torn between doing something he loves and his family. Need you forget, he helped the Yankees to win 2 world championships.

i think he just challenged you to a duel.

:D

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:20 AM
Nuked in 5, 4, 3, 2....WOW,WHAT A COMEBACK,SIR! YOU SURE PUT ME IN MY PLACE,NOT! Just because he retired, and was talked into by a former yankee Pettite(who was screwed by george) to pitch for his hometown doesn't make him a a-hole! THINK MAN!

the_coach
12-06-05, 11:21 AM
Clemens is an attention whore.

gdn
12-06-05, 11:22 AM
Everyone should just calm down....

Clemens does need to give SOME indication, just out of consideration for the Astros.

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:23 AM
Clemens is an attention whore. THINK GUYS,PLEASE! Wouldn't you take the ''attention whore'' back in a second! Be honest! Bet your butt,you would!

the_coach
12-06-05, 11:28 AM
THINK GUYS,PLEASE! Wouldn't you take the ''attention whore'' back in a second! Be honest! Bet your butt,you would!

No thanks.

38Special
12-06-05, 11:30 AM

CLASSY

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:32 AM
And nyera2527 is?

IronCaballo4
12-06-05, 11:36 AM
Clemens does need to give SOME indication, just out of consideration for the Astros.

Exactly. It's like he's toying with the team

LongLiveBernie51!
12-06-05, 11:37 AM
I feel a polite reminder from the moderator and a locking of the thread coming

Irabu's Son
12-06-05, 11:38 AM
WOW,WHAT A COMEBACK,SIR! YOU SURE PUT ME IN MY PLACE,NOT! Just because he retired, and was talked into by a former yankee Pettite(who was screwed by george) to pitch for his hometown doesn't make him a a-hole! THINK MAN!

Please, fellow poster, quit while you're behind.

ojo
12-06-05, 11:41 AM
koby?

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 11:41 AM
WOW,WHAT A COMEBACK,SIR! YOU SURE PUT ME IN MY PLACE,NOT! Just because he retired, and was talked into by a former yankee Pettite(who was screwed by george) to pitch for his hometown doesn't make him a a-hole! THINK MAN!
how old are you? 8? 10 maybe?

38Special
12-06-05, 11:44 AM
http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/4510/yamz3qh0ae.gif

A COOKA RACHA A COOKA RACHA

CoyoteYankee
12-06-05, 11:45 AM
:lol: I've been waiting for wonderful, thought provoking posts like JJFLASH's since the off-season began.

As for Clemens. He needs to make up his mind for once in his life. Ever hear of making a decision and sticking to it? He'd be fired from the Apprentice.

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:45 AM
Please, fellow poster, quit while you're behind. AM I? Using logic my friend, scares people from the truth! and you sir CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Would you turn down pitching for your home town team? You are just are ticked off that he didn't finish as a Yankee! BIG FRICKING DEAL! At least, he was a great Yankee for awhile!

gdn
12-06-05, 11:46 AM

A COOKA RACHA A COOKA RACHA:-rofl-: :lol: :lol:

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:46 AM
how old are you? 8? 10 maybe? Great comeback,NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 11:47 AM
:lol: I've been waiting for wonderful, thought provoking posts like JJFLASH's since the off-season began.

As for Clemens. He needs to make up his mind for once in his life. Ever hear of making a decision and sticking to it? He'd be fired from the Apprentice.
He wants arbitration. That way, he looks like a hero for accepting another year with his hometown team while getting a crap load of money, rather than having to ruin his spotless reputation in houston by ASKING for a crapload of money.

ojo
AM I? Using logic my friend, scares people from the truth! and you sir CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Would you turn down pitching for your home town team? You are just are ticked off that he didn't finish as a Yankee! BIG FRICKING DEAL! At least, he was a great Yankee for awhile!

....which has NOTHING to do with how he's holding houston hostage...AGAIN.

that's it. yankee fans who were quasi-burned by clemens in the past are merely noting that for the 3rd consecutive year roger insists on yanking a team around.

let'r go kid. just...let'r go.

Irabu's Son
AM I? Using logic my friend, scares people from the truth! and you sir CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Would you turn down pitching for your home town team? You are just are ticked off that he didn't finish as a Yankee! BIG FRICKING DEAL! At least, he was a great Yankee for awhile!

I can think of six good reasons I don't want Clemens.

1. Randy Johnson
2. Mike Mussina
3. Shawn Chacon
4. Chieng-Ming Wang
5. That stupid Hummer
6. He'd cost about $15m

jimmyclark

Clemens also went to Toronto after the 1996 season saying he liked quiet fans and playing catch with his kids in a warehouse disguised as a ballpark. 2 years later after the Yankees won 125 games he invoked a clause in his contract saying he could get traded if the Blue Jays weren't showing sufficient improvement. They had the 4th best record in the AL after the All-Star game. He also made sure the Yankees renegotiated his contract.
Clemens is one of the greatest pitchers in history. But he does have a habit of making a fool of himself in public. He says he will only go into Cooperstown "as a Yankee" but wears a sponsor's hat after winning his 300th game. He says he will retire after the 2003 season but files for free agency anyways. He gives an interview to Michael Kay in 2004 saying he wants to work for the Yankees in spring when he retires and is surprised when Kay informs him a "personal services"contract prohibits that. He chooses to pitch at Yankee stadium in the split doubleheader in 2000 so he can throw a 95 mph fastball at Mike Piazza's head and hide behind the DH. The next year Torre changes the rotation so Clemens won't have to hit at Shea Stadium and Clemens says nothing.
Admire the pitching skill and the work ethic...ignore the retirement talk. Other than Koufax who retired because of health, who was the last Hall of Fame pitcher to retire with a winning record? Iron Man Joe McGinnity in 1908. And the Iron Man did not exactly retire..he pitched another 15 years (!) in the minors near his Oklahoma home using his soft underhanded pitch "Old Sal".

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 11:48 AM
Great comeback,NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my bad. we'll settle on 9 then.

38Special
12-06-05, 11:49 AM
Anyone know Roger's phone number? I wanna know what it's like to swim in a tub full of money. Does he get paper cuts?

JJFLASH
12-06-05, 11:49 AM
38 Special-What does Bonds have to do with this? Rocket's no fricking cheater!

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 11:50 AM
wow. just wow.

38Special
12-06-05, 11:50 AM

frick you man!

Irabu's Son
12-06-05, 11:51 AM
Clemens also went to Toronto after the 1996 season saying he liked quiet fans and playing catch with his kids in a warehouse disguised as a ballpark. 2 years later after the Yankees won 125 games he invoked a clause in his contract saying he could get traded if the Blue Jays weren't showing sufficient improvement. They had the 4th best record in the AL after the All-Star game. He also made sure the Yankees renegotiated his contract.
Clemens is one of the greatest pitchers in history. But he does have a habit of making a fool of himself in public. He says he will only go into Cooperstown "as a Yankee" but wears a sponsor's hat after winning his 300th game. He says he will retire after the 2003 season but files for free agency anyways. He gives an interview to Michael Kay in 2004 saying he wants to work for the Yankees in spring when he retires and is surprised when Kay informs him a "personal services"contract prohibits that. He chooses to pitch at Yankee stadium in the split doubleheader in 2000 so he can throw a 95 mph fastball at Mike Piazza's head and hide behind the DH. The next year Torre changes the rotation so Clemens won't have to hit at Shea Stadium and Clemens says nothing.
Admire the pitching skill and the work ethic...ignore the retirement talk. Other than Koufax who retired because of health, who was the last Hall of Fame pitcher to retire with a winning record? Iron Man Joe McGinnity in 1908. And the Iron Man did not exactly retire..he pitched another 15 years (!) in the minors near his Oklahoma home using his soft underhanded pitch "Old Sal".

Good info and good read. Nice post.

JJFLASH
my bad. we'll settle on 9 then. I say it again,logic,blows peoples mind and they can't find a good comeback.

Irabu's Son
Anyone know Roger's phone number? I wanna know what it's like to swim in a tub full of money. Does he get paper cuts?

He wears a cup.

Quangormo
This is different than what happened with the Yankees. He essentially retired after the Marlins World Series, remember his whole tipping his hat coming off the mound thing and the standing O from the Marlins players and fans? And they the Astros signed his bestest friend in the whole wide world in Pettitte, essentially let him do whatever he wanted as a member of the team (don't go on road trips if he didn't need to start), and basically play in his own backyard.
And the US had been knocked out of the Olympics in the qualifying round by Mexico. He really wanted to pitch in the Olympics. Sop he re-channeled his competitive urge to the Astros.

dabomb2045
12-06-05, 11:52 AM
I think some Yankee fans took the whole Clemens "I'm retired..but actually I changed my mind and Im signing with Houston" thing way too personally

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 11:53 AM
frick you man!
HAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D

38Special
12-06-05, 11:56 AM
He wears a cup.
Over his sack or his ego?

Or is it the same place http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7143/emotssh2qh.gif

sack lol

Irabu's Son
12-06-05, 11:59 AM
Over his sack or his ego?

Or is it the same place http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7143/emotssh2qh.gif

sack lol

:lol: :-rofl-: :clap: :-rofl-: :lol:

nyctalopia
12-06-05, 12:01 PM
:lol: :-rofl-: :clap: :-rofl-: :lol:
don't do that! you'll get jj whats his face all upset! he may have to forego lunch-time dodgeball with his 3rd grade class to write a gramatically incorrect response with no spaces and a fricking poop load of fricking fricks!

38Special
12-06-05, 12:07 PM
Go to your room Koby!

silverdsl
12-06-05, 01:04 PM
Since there's way more childish nonsense in this thread than actual discussion I have no choice but to close this thread. Calling players a-holes is against the community standards as is users calling each other names. In addition, the topic of whether Clemens is going to re-sign with the Astros or retire is probably more suited for "Around the Majors" unless the focus is on whether or not the Yankees might sign Clemens. Please feel free to start a new, more civil thread on this topic in ATM. Thanks.

-Deborah

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-05, 01:06 PM

Wow it is a good thing I had to run to class and was not able to read your fine defense of Roger "Lets all give me a standing ovation in FENWAY PARK and after I stink up the joint in Game 7 of the ALCS in the Bronx because I said this was my last season" Clemens. How do you defend that? How is he classy? He is about as classy as Manny Ramirez.

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-05, 01:08 PM
Nice saying ya JJFlash, thanks for calling me an a-hole, ya made my day.