PDA

View Full Version : Mike Myers: Yankees, Sox, none of the above

Dooley Womack
12-04-05, 12:02 AM
With December 7th around the corner, where do you see Myers going? I'd love to have him as a LOOGY but that might be out of the Yank's hands.

He only made 600,000 last year and if Boston offers him arbitration, I don't see how he won't accept, since he stands to make more than what the Yankee's might offer as a LOOGY if he declines.

Was it a risk not signing him now, not knowing if the Sox will offer arbitration? Maybe the Yank's know he'll decline if offered? Perhaps Boston isn't interested in going to arbitration with him? Your predictions.

NYDCYankee
12-04-05, 12:04 AM
Boston will def offer him arb. They need a lefty just like we do, and if they lose him they would love the compensation.

Panamaniac42
12-04-05, 12:06 AM
I have no clue where he'll end up, all I know is that the Yankees should have gotten him in 2004...Felix Heredia and Gabe White what a sick joke.

AMYanks
12-04-05, 12:07 AM
He would make a great LOOGY. I don't love giving up the draft pick, though.

Dooley Womack
12-04-05, 12:18 AM
Boston will def offer him arb. They need a lefty just like we do, and if they lose him they would love the compensation.

Now it comes down to will he accept. My feeling is that he will because he'd probably make more through arbitration than the Yanks may offer. I can't see Cashman breaking the bank for him.

Dooley Womack
12-04-05, 12:19 AM
He would make a great LOOGY. I don't love giving up the draft pick, though.

At least it won't be a first rounder if it comes to that.

Dooley Womack
12-04-05, 12:20 AM
I have no clue where he'll end up, all I know is that the Yankees should have gotten him in 2004...Felix Heredia and Gabe White what a sick joke.

The Yanks and their (in)ability to evaluate pitching talent leaves a lot to be desired.

JDPNYY
12-04-05, 12:20 AM
I say he signs with the Yankees.

Vin
12-04-05, 12:21 AM
We may have to find another diamond in the rough if we don't get him. Or just sign Tavarez.

nyg02005
12-04-05, 12:22 AM
my guess is that the yankees is offering less money compare to what myers will get in arbitration so myers is waiting for the red sox. Now it is up to the sox to decide if the arbitration number is within their limit for myers.

hellonewman
12-04-05, 12:28 AM
My guess is Boston, but fortunately, he's not the only fish in the LOOGY sea.

Dooley Womack
12-04-05, 12:56 AM
I say he signs with the Yankees.
Granmama Myers? Is that you?

Panamaniac42
12-04-05, 12:59 AM
We may have to find another diamond in the rough if we don't get him. Or just sign Tavarez.

Tavarez + The Farns + Tanyon the Manyon...what a trio!

Sorry, I have a soft spot for nuts like Ron Artest, Bernard Hopkins, etc.

Buzah!
12-04-05, 02:12 AM
I think he already has a deal with the Yanks.

Yankees1962
12-04-05, 02:16 AM
Which means the Sox are smart enough to realized that and will definitely offer him arbitration.

ppa79
12-04-05, 08:37 AM
I don't want him if he costs us a 2nd rounder.

YankeePride1967
12-04-05, 08:51 AM
This is where the Sox front office was much smarter than what we had passing as a front office the past few years. While the 4,533 guys in Tampa offering opinions couldn't decide what they wanted for lunch, Boston offered arbitration to EVERY SINGLE FREE AGENT they had and also notice that not one undesirable took it. Boston will undoubtably offer arb to Myers.

YankeePride1967
12-04-05, 08:52 AM

I hope not, a LOOGY is not worth a draft pick.

Prickly Pete
12-04-05, 08:52 AM
As a Sox fan, I hope the Yankees (or someone other than Boston) signs him.

He's 36-years-old and just had one of the best years of his career. I just don't see him duplicating last season. He had a 4.88 ERA from 2002-2004, and his numbers against lefties those years weren't that impressive (.240 BAA and a WHIP above 1.30).

But in this market he's going to cash in on an excellent 2005 season and get more than $1 million for pitching 35 innings. I'd rather take the draft pick and get someone who isn't a complete liability against right-handers.

sugmasterflex
12-04-05, 09:31 AM

I would only consider Myers if we didn't have to give up a draft pick. Joey Eischen would be a better choice. Eischen is a solid reliever, not just a LOOGY, and won't cost us a pick.

ieddyi
12-04-05, 09:47 AM

He's 36-years-old and just had one of the best years of his career. I just don't see him duplicating last season. He had a 4.88 ERA from 2002-2004, and his numbers against lefties those years weren't that impressive (.240 BAA and a WHIP above 1.30).

But in this market he's going to cash in on an excellent 2005 season and get more than $1 million for pitching 35 innings. I'd rather take the draft pick and get someone who isn't a complete liability against right-handers.

Yep, didn't he start out the year really poorly, get dropped and come back and pitch really well. It's amazing the sawx were able to get away w/ the twin "oogys"- myers and bradford as the first guys out of the pen.

JeffWeaverFan
12-04-05, 10:22 AM
I want the Yankees to sign Rudy Seanez.

goin for 27
12-04-05, 10:24 AM
I would love to sign him. There are not many LOOGY's available, and Myers would clearly be the best of them. He needs to be used correctly, and if he is, he would be extremely effective.

People here don't seem to think that much of LOOGY's, but they should Think back to who we have trotted out in the big spot in the last couple of years. Myers would have increased the win total not unsubstantially.

JGiambi25
12-04-05, 11:53 AM
According to Rotoworld both teams are looking at Rick White too.

Free agent Rick White said he is a few days from signing with either the Yankees or Red Sox.

All these tens of millions of dollars being thrown around and the Yankees and Red Sox are battling for Rick White and Mike Myers. We don't see why either team would want White on anything more than a minor league deal. He posted a 3.70 ERA last season, but that was in the NL and he had a 1.59 WHIP to go along with it.

nyg02005
12-04-05, 11:56 AM
approximately how much will myers be getting if he goes to arbitration?

dkman
12-04-05, 12:12 PM
I say forget Myers if Leiter comes back. He showed an ability to have sucess as a loogy. (Granted he was facing Darin Erstad half the time) But if he doesn't work out I say bring up Smith.

WrightIsWrong
12-04-05, 03:05 PM
According to Rotoworld both teams are looking at Rick White too.

I saw this as well & my only question is why.

goin for 27
12-04-05, 03:16 PM
I say forget Myers if Leiter comes back. He showed an ability to have sucess as a loogy. (Granted he was facing Darin Erstad half the time) But if he doesn't work out I say bring up Smith.

I say get Myers. 2 reasons. He has always been consistently tough on lefties, wheras Leiter is up and down. (though Leiter was actually tougher in 2004)

Also, Joe can't seem to resist letting Leiter face say two righties to get to the next lefty. Then Leiter gets smoked. At least with Myers, it is one and out.

2005 vs Lefty Hitters....

Myers = .158 BAA
Leiter = .234 BAA

Myers = .233 BAA
Leiter = .204 BAA

Myers = .237
Leiter = .299

ppa79
12-04-05, 03:19 PM
I say get Myers. 2 reasons. He has always been consistently tough on lefties, wheras Leiter is up and down. (though Leiter was actually tougher in 2004)

Also, Joe can't seem to resist letting Leiter face say two righties to get to the next lefty. Then Leiter gets smoked. At least with Myers, it is one and out.

2005 vs Lefty Hitters....

Myers = .158 BAA
Leiter = .234 BAA

Myers = .233 BAA
Leiter = .204 BAA

Myers = .237
Leiter = .299

I will agree if the Sox don't offer arbitration. Otherwise forget it. I don't want to give up a 2nd rounder to a guy who pitches about 30-40 innings a year

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-04-05, 07:06 PM

But in this market he's going to cash in on an excellent 2005 season and get more than $1 million for pitching 35 innings. I'd rather take the draft pick and get someone who isn't a complete liability against right-handers.Thank you. I've been trying to say that for so long. The people looking at last years stats aren't being realistic. He is usually about as good as Mike Stanton was for us last season against lefties. With the deal Eyre signed and the fact that he was a red sox and has drawn interest from the yankees screams that he would be overpaid. I've said it before and i'll say it again, pitching 35 innings a season and only being able to get out such a small % of hitters in the league isn't all that special or hard to find.

DontHateOnNumber2
12-05-05, 12:25 AM

Edit: A LOOGY like Mike Myers is not worth a draft pick. :D

I Love Wang
12-05-05, 12:52 AM
Edit: A LOOGY like Mike Myers is not worth a draft pick. :D

What LOOGY is better than a guy who held lefties to a .158 AVG last year? Over the past three years, its .208. Career .207 average against lefties. Praytell, what LOOGY would you recommend we go after, if not Mike Myers?

ryanthe13th
12-05-05, 01:07 AM
What LOOGY is better than a guy who held lefties to a .158 AVG last year? Over the past three years, its .208. Career .207 average against lefties. Praytell, what LOOGY would you recommend we go after, if not Mike Myers?

Do you think Torre will use Myers specifically as a LOOGY?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-05-05, 02:55 AM
Mike Stanton was .235, .270, .259 against lefties last year. How did everyone feel about him before he got released. Its easy to look at the stats and say "just pitch him against lefties", but you can't. There aren't enough. The guys have to pitch to stay effective. Emagine an extra inning game where he has to face a righty...we lose. That to me isn't worth anything but a minor league contract/spring training invite. alot of guys can give you around .220, .250, .300 against lefties and still have a chance at giving up less than a double to a right handed hitter.

rivera,s cutter
12-05-05, 03:17 AM
i hope he becomes a yankee

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-05-05, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't mind if it was 1 year at about what he got last year. It won't be though.

bakntime
12-05-05, 03:43 AM

I think maybe he means a LOOGY like Myers, who can never, ever, ever face a right handed hitter. It's like having a little leauger up there against righties.

This generates a significant problem, becuase if he comes in solely to face a lefty, not only is he going to be burned facing just ONE batter, but they could pinch hit a righty and you're up sh*t creek.

And you never like to cherry pick stats, but he's got disturbing numbers against some good lefties...

Thome: 3/10, .462 OBP
Giambi: 5/10, .545 OBP, 1 HR, 5 RBI
Blalock: 3/6, 2 doubles
Todd Helton: 3/13, 3 BB, 4 RBI
Jay Gibbons: (he's not even good) 3/7, 1 2B

It's hard to find any good lefties that Myers has had a significant # of ABs vs, (the only ones I really found he had any success against in a quick serach was Garrett Anderson, Steve Finley and Darin Erstad), but for a guy who's SOLE purpose would be to combat the opponents good lefites, those small examples scare me.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a good LOOGY, but looking at it closely I'd be at least a little hesitant to give up a draft pick for a guy that would be used so sparingly and can never ever pitch to a righty.

mbn007
12-05-05, 07:18 AM
I think maybe he means a LOOGY like Myers, who can never, ever, ever face a right handed hitter. It's like having a little leauger up there against righties.

This generates a significant problem, becuase if he comes in solely to face a lefty, not only is he going to be burned facing just ONE batter, but they could pinch hit a righty and you're up sh*t creek.

And you never like to cherry pick stats, but he's got disturbing numbers against some good lefties...

Thome: 3/10, .462 OBP
Giambi: 5/10, .545 OBP, 1 HR, 5 RBI
Blalock: 3/6, 2 doubles
Todd Helton: 3/13, 3 BB, 4 RBI
Jay Gibbons: (he's not even good) 3/7, 1 2B

It's hard to find any good lefties that Myers has had a significant # of ABs vs, (the only ones I really found he had any success against in a quick serach was Garrett Anderson, Steve Finley and Darin Erstad), but for a guy who's SOLE purpose would be to combat the opponents good lefites, those small examples scare me.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a good LOOGY, but looking at it closely I'd be at least a little hesitant to give up a draft pick for a guy that would be used so sparingly and can never ever pitch to a righty.Very good points. He may dominate most lefties, but we need him as a loogy for all lefties, and if he can't dominate all the good ones, get me a guy like Joey Eischen, who is decent, and pitches to all hitters.

And is younger.

P.S. No Rick White. Please.

bobbymagee
12-05-05, 08:42 AM
I would love to sign him. There are not many LOOGY's available, and Myers would clearly be the best of them. He needs to be used correctly, and if he is, he would be extremely effective.

People here don't seem to think that much of LOOGY's, but they should Think back to who we have trotted out in the big spot in the last couple of years. Myers would have increased the win total not unsubstantially.

I may sound dense,stupid,incompetent,dorkish, or totally stupid.......What is a LOOGY's? ........... long relief pitcher

NDBoston
12-05-05, 08:44 AM
I may sound dense,stupid,incompetent,dorkish, or totally stupid.......What is a LOOGY's? ........... long relief pitcher

Left Handed One Out Guy.

One more thing. Rick White is right handed. His going to the Yankees would have nothing to do with the decision making on Myers.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-05-05, 01:05 PM
Left Handed One Out Guy.

One more thing. Rick White is right handed. His going to the Yankees would have nothing to do with the decision making on Myers.
I think white being NL trash is more of a concern. 3.70 for the pirates is around 5.00 here.

I Love Wang
12-05-05, 01:13 PM
Do you think Torre will use Myers specifically as a LOOGY?

Absolutely.

JWHIII
12-05-05, 01:14 PM
He's a solid LOOGY, so any team could use him in that regard and most need a guy like him. He's useless against righties and the elusive Laurie Strode.

I Love Wang
12-05-05, 01:19 PM
He's a solid LOOGY, so any team could use him in that regard and most need a guy like him. He's useless against righties and the elusive Laurie Strode.

Nice.

ryanm1058123
12-07-05, 07:56 PM
Get it done Cash. Get it done. He wasn't offered arb. He'd be a decent addition to our bullpen.

Snatch Catch
12-07-05, 07:57 PM
He costs nothing but money now.

YankeePride1967
12-07-05, 08:02 PM
Get it done Cash. Get it done. He wasn't offered arb. He'd be a decent addition to our bullpen.

Okay, now I want him.

JeffWeaverFan
12-07-05, 08:11 PM
My guess is that now he wasn't offered arbitrtation, he'll definitely be a Yank. I do wonder why the Sox didn't offer him arbitration though.

YankeePride1967
12-07-05, 08:23 PM
My guess is that now he wasn't offered arbitrtation, he'll definitely be a Yank. I do wonder why the Sox didn't offer him arbitration though.

Especially after last off-season when every prospective FA from Boston was offered it.

IncredibleByNature
12-07-05, 08:25 PM
He shouldn't cost too much, should he? I'd really like to have him.

MiamiKat
12-07-05, 08:33 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6304136242.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bring him on, Cash. And here's hoping it won't be the Yankees he curses. :D

AMYanks
12-07-05, 08:50 PM
Cashman has to get him signed now. Won't cost a draft pick, and he'd be a great LOOGY.

NewEraYanks2527
12-07-05, 09:08 PM
Sign Myers now. Seriously I want to hear the Halloween music when he comes out of the bullpen real bad.

terminator
12-07-05, 09:22 PM

The official word was that they had only one space for a R/L-OOGY. And we already have Bradford locked up.

Plus, while he didn't make much last year, if he accepted arbitration, with the market being the way it is, he'd probably get a substantial raise.

Plus we're counting on Torre leaving him to face right-handers, aka his kryptonite. :)

38Special
12-07-05, 09:32 PM
The official word was that they had only one space for a R/L-OOGY. And we already have Bradford locked up.

Plus, while he didn't make much last year, if he accepted arbitration, with the market being the way it is, he'd probably get a substantial raise.

Plus we're counting on Torre leaving him to face right-handers, aka his kryptonite. :)
I dont recall Torre leaving in LOOGYs to face righties :uhh:

terminator
12-07-05, 09:34 PM
I dont recall Torre leaving in LOOGYs to face righties :uhh:

I honestly might be wrong about this, but wasn't there a Stanton incident?

Bernie Inferno
12-07-05, 09:35 PM
I honestly might be wrong about this, but wasn't there a Stanton incident? When Brian Roberts hit a walk-off. Also, Embree with Konerko.

38Special
12-07-05, 09:44 PM
I honestly might be wrong about this, but wasn't there a Stanton incident?
Stanton isn't a LOOGY. His entire career he was better against righties. Just because during the small sample size of 2 months showed better numbers versus lefties doesnt mean that his stuff magically changed.

Stanton just sucks

ring403
12-07-05, 09:50 PM
I dont recall Torre leaving in LOOGYs to face righties I don't recall Torre having a LOOGY.

AMYanks
12-07-05, 09:51 PM
IIRC, Torre used Lloyd effectively as a LOOGY.

Yankees13
12-07-05, 09:56 PM
IIRC, Torre used Lloyd effectively as a LOOGY.
Yeah, I think since Myers is clearly a LOOGY and has a reputation as such, it shouldn't be a problem.

ring403
12-07-05, 10:00 PM
IIRC, Torre used Lloyd effectively as a LOOGY.I wasn't entirely serious. The point was that it's been a LONG time since the Yankees had a real LOOGY.

AMYanks
12-07-05, 10:11 PM
I wasn't entirely serious. The point was that it's been a LONG time since the Yankees had a real LOOGY.

Actually, I wasn't replying to your post in particular. I just threw Lloyd's name in there as a counter-example to Stanton and Embree.

Michaels07
12-07-05, 10:21 PM
What will the the Yanks have to pay, and is he worth it?

C-BUS CLIPPER
12-07-05, 10:40 PM
WOW. No Draft pick? Sign this guy now.

Clemens831
12-07-05, 10:45 PM

They likely didn't want to pay him between $1 and $2 million for less than 50 innings.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-08-05, 01:17 AM
I'd take him for a mill or less for 1 year