PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed..We have no DH??

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 10:52 AM
If the lineup is set for next year, which it appears is a possibility, the only DH we will have next year is Giambi/Andy Phillips. The plan was to have Phillips as a backup 1B to give Giambi a few days off against lefties, but unless we get someone else, he'll be playing every day against both lefties and righties. Do we want that? Will they sign Sierra as a DH? (hopenot) Will they just keep Phillips in every day? Or will they go out and get someone to fill that hole? If so, who?

BroadwayBomber55
12-01-05, 10:54 AM
I'm hopin' the Yankees get a CF like a Jason Michaels, move Bubba Crosby to RF, and put Sheff in DH.

Sam18
12-01-05, 10:55 AM
Yes, yes I have.

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 10:55 AM
My vote goes to signing Nomar. If Bubba falters, Nomar could play left with Matsui shifting to center. If not, Nomar could DH or even play some 1B. If any infielders or oufeilders gets hurt we have a backup option better than Womack, and we'll feel alot better giving Jeter, A-Rod, Cano days off.

BRNXBMRS
12-01-05, 10:57 AM
Isnt it going to be Sheff/Giambi combo.

ruthianblast
12-01-05, 10:58 AM
My vote goes to signing Nomar. If Bubba falters, Nomar could play left with Matsui shifting to center. If not, Nomar could DH or even play some 1B. If any infielders or oufeilders gets hurt we have a backup option better than Womack, and we'll feel alot better giving Jeter, A-Rod, Cano days off.

Ummm, no, Just say NO to Garciaparra. I think I'm going to start my own D.A.R.E. program for Garciaparra lovers. I'll call it G.A.S.P. - Garciaparra - Awareness of Suckage Program.

If possible I would rather re-sign bernie for 2-3 million and DH him or once a true CF is signed move Sheff into the DH spot as previously mentioned ad nauseum.

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 10:59 AM
Isnt it going to be Sheff/Giambi combo.

As of right now, no. When Sheff DH's we'd have a nice little hole in RF. Plus noone has hinted at taking Sheff out of the OF.

Irabu's Son
12-01-05, 11:09 AM
Ummm, no, Just say NO to Garciaparra. I think I'm going to start my own D.A.R.E. program for Garciaparra lovers. I'll call it G.A.S.P. - Garciaparra - Awareness of Suckage Program.

If possible I would rather re-sign bernie for 2-3 million and DH him or once a true CF is signed move Sheff into the DH spot as previously mentioned ad nauseum.

ACTUALLY... Garciaparra would be an awesome DH IMO.

ComeBackShane47
12-01-05, 11:10 AM
Yea I have no clue why Cashman keeps saying that they can start Bubba because they have 8 great hitters in front of him. I count five, but then again ive never been good at math.

The Dynasty
12-01-05, 11:10 AM
ACTUALLY... Garciaparra would be an awesome DH IMO.

Damn, Nomar @ DH is enticing for the right price and if we have an above-average centerfielder.

ieddyi
12-01-05, 11:11 AM

Nomar sucks, but you want to sign Bernie. Just look at their stats for the last 3 years. Nomar can still hit- it';s just a question of him staying healthy.

I'd take Nomar @ 5 over Bernie for 3M

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-01-05, 11:12 AM
I have noticed that, but I think the Yankees are keeping it warm for either Sheffield if they can find a corner outfielder (the Abreu rumor) or Giambi if they can get a first baseman.

The Dynasty
12-01-05, 11:12 AM
Nomar sucks, but you want to sign Bernie. Just look at their stats for the last 3 years. Nomar can still hit- it';s just a question of him staying healthy.

Agreed.

DontHateOnNumber2
12-01-05, 11:13 AM

I don't know...I think there's a better chance of Nomar getting injuring himself running the bases than Bernie hitting, running the bases, and playing the outfield combined.

Evil Empire
12-01-05, 11:14 AM
Between Posada, Giambi, Sheff, Matsui and/or possibly Bernie/Ruben :eek: we'll find someone to slot in there.

ojo
12-01-05, 11:20 AM
sheff. the only reason sheff wasn't the talk of the town for his horrendous OF play was cuz of the implosion in CF.

sign a glove to play RF. keep sheff's bat intact, away from our pitchers' ERA.

RobRiv
12-01-05, 11:22 AM
sheff. the only reason sheff wasn't the talk of the town for his horrendous OF play was cuz of the implosion in CF.

sign a glove to play RF. keep sheff's bat intact, away from our pitchers' ERA.

Would Sheff have a problem with DHing on a regular basis like Giambi?

harkode2002
12-01-05, 11:22 AM
I'd take Nomar @ $5mil over Bernie and/or Sierra for free. If Bernie or Sierra come back, our manager will just have to use them, I mean overuse them. I shudder thinking about watching Bernie for another year or two sending those "smoking" groundballs to the second baseman.

What did Al Bundy used to say, oh yeah, "Just shoot me." Please, please no more Bernie or Reuben.

RobRiv
12-01-05, 11:23 AM
Between Posada, Giambi, Sheff, Matsui and/or possibly Bernie/Ruben :eek: we'll find someone to slot in there.

Posada, Giambi, Sheff, Matsui rotation works for me.

surge511
12-01-05, 11:26 AM
I think the Yankees want to keep DH relatively open, becasue they think Duncan will be ready to play 1B in 2007. This is why I think it would be a good idea to sign Nomar to a 1 or 2 year deal. It gives us another big bat and it would keep him from being injured. If that doesn't pan out, I say just bring back Bernie for one more year - I could live with him at DH for a year and give it to Giambi in 2007. Basically, I don't want anyone getting 3 years to be the DH because that would only further block Duncan's path to the majors.

CyYoung4Vazquez
12-01-05, 11:27 AM
umm..what about Piazza? Hey, just throwing it out there....

Evil Empire
12-01-05, 11:30 AM
I really don't think we need another DH, especially another old guy who definitley can't play the field.

wileedog
12-01-05, 11:33 AM

Sheff's numbers in the DH slot the last two years have been outstanding (150 ABs or so). It looks like he would not have a problem at first glance.

We're not short a DH, we're short a RFer.

JDPNYY
12-01-05, 11:34 AM
Matsui
Sheff
Giambi
Posada

sundstrom
12-01-05, 11:35 AM

if the money was right for the yanks, i don't think it's a terrible idea. not having to catch could do wonders for this guy. $5M for one year...i'd do that.

Shinebox
12-01-05, 11:39 AM
Matsui
Sheff
Giambi
Posada

we dont have a 4th OF'er to let Sheff or Matsui DH either... and Giambi DH-ing a lot means a lot of Andy Phillips.. which is scary when you are already giving a lot of playing time to Bubba Crosby.
They are still missing a body or two, but its still early.

Right now Giambi is our DH with Philips at first... i cant see us going into opening day like that

wileedog
12-01-05, 11:40 AM
if the money was right for the yanks, i don't think it's a terrible idea. not having to catch could do wonders for this guy. $5M for one year...i'd do that.

$5M for a guy with no position and very little bat left?

Yes, that's a terrible idea, and a Ruben Sierra-esque waste of a roster spot.

Irabu's Son
12-01-05, 11:41 AM
I really don't think we need another DH, especially another old guy who definitley can't play the field.

He'd sure as hell be the best 3rd catcher in baseball...

JDPNYY
12-01-05, 11:45 AM
we dont have a 4th OF'er to let Sheff or Matsui DH either... and Giambi DH-ing a lot means a lot of Andy Phillips.. which is scary when you are already giving a lot of playing time to Bubba Crosby.
They are still missing a body or two, but its still early.

Right now Giambi is our DH with Philips at first... i cant see us going into opening day like that

Opening day is soon.

nyctalopia
12-01-05, 11:52 AM
FRANK THOMAS!!!! ... just to get the conversation going ...

ojo
12-01-05, 11:52 AM

Sheff's numbers in the DH slot the last two years have been outstanding (150 ABs or so). It looks like he would not have a problem at first glance.

We're not short a DH, we're short a RFer.

yeah, sheff would be an ideal spot-duty RF'er who would just simply mash as a DH. probably be able to do something special at the plate without worrying about exerting too much energy in the field.

put jacque jones or a juan encarnacion out there. sign bradly for CF or trade pavano/cash for wilkerson and a decent reliever out of washington.

YankClipper5
12-01-05, 12:02 PM
yeah, sheff would be an ideal spot-duty RF'er who would just simply mash as a DH. probably be able to do something special at the plate without worrying about exerting too much energy in the field.

put jacque jones or a juan encarnacion out there. sign bradly for CF or trade pavano/cash for wilkerson and a decent reliever out of washington.

I like your plan! I think Bradley is the best CF we can acquire and in comparison to his tools he can be had way cheap! A huge IF, but if we can get his head straight, he is a solid CF for at least 5 seasons with awesome tools. I like Jacque Jones in right and Sheff to DH, I think it is as extremely potent lineup without a hole really. I am not so high on Wilkerson but purely because I haven't seen much, I think more important is acquiring a guy who could backup 1B and give Giambi a chance to DH occasionally. Maybe see about bringing back Tino or Bellhorn on a way cheap contract or a ST invite? Or target Olerud again.

hardrain
12-01-05, 12:04 PM
Sierra Mist..where are you? ;)

TEPLimey
12-01-05, 12:13 PM
Matsui
Sheff
Giambi
Posada

You beat me to it

wileedog
12-01-05, 12:13 PM
I like your plan! I think Bradley is the best CF we can acquire and in comparison to his tools he can be had way cheap! A huge IF, but if we can get his head straight, he is a solid CF for at least 5 seasons with awesome tools. I like Jacque Jones in right and Sheff to DH, I think it is as extremely potent lineup without a hole really.
I don't like Bradley and think he is going to be trouble, but given the circumstances I think this is the most reasonable and likely plan.

I am not so high on Wilkerson but purely because I haven't seen much, I think more important is acquiring a guy who could backup 1B and give Giambi a chance to DH occasionally. Maybe see about bringing back Tino or Bellhorn on a way cheap contract or a ST invite? Or target Olerud again.

Travis Lee would fit nicely as a late inning defensive replacement for Giambi, and can hit well enough to spell him some days.

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 12:14 PM
My preference for DH's:

Nomar- "Super utility man" would provide insurance plans for a few cases including any injury and the backup plan of Matui shifting to center and Nomar playing left if Bubba doesn't work out. He would provide days off for every player in the lineup and if anyone gets hurt he's the first one to fill in. If noone gets hurt and Bubba excells, he would simply DH.

Mike Piazza- Would not catching help his bat? Maybe a little, but his best days are behind him. Still, he would provide days off for Posada and is more offensively inclined then Kelly Stinett. Also, Piazza and the next option are obvious 1 year contracts that can just fill in until Duncan is ready for the bigs.

Frank Thomas- Not much to say about him. Maybe he rebounds, maybe he doesn't. Hit the ball when he wasn't hurt last year. Maybe he can put up some numbers if he can stay healthy.

JDPNYY
12-01-05, 12:14 PM
You beat me to it

Sorry, I was in a rush. Opening day is next week.

YankClipper5
12-01-05, 12:19 PM
I don't like Bradley and think he is going to be trouble, but given the circumstances I think this is the most reasonable and likely plan.

Travis Lee would fit nicely as a late inning defensive replacement for Giambi, and can hit well enough to spell him some days.

Lee would be a good fit but don't you think he may be able to get a starting job elsewhere? That said I would be confident with him as a backup 1B, I don't like the Phillips experiment at all. Bradley is nuts, no question, but as an experiment, he should be our target. skills-wise he is far and above the other potential CFs. If he is tamed, he can be a steal.

gdn
12-01-05, 12:19 PM
Lineup as of now:

3B A-Rod
SS Jeter
2B Cano
LF Matsui
CF Bubba
RF Sheff
C Posada
1B Phillips
DH Giambi

JDPNYY
12-01-05, 12:20 PM
Lineup as of now:

3B A-Rod
SS Jeter
2B Cano
LF Matsui
CF Bubba
RF Sheff
C Posada
1B Phillips
DH Giambi

No way I'm batting Jason 9th. No way.

jcan411
12-01-05, 12:20 PM
Lineup as of now:

3B A-Rod
SS Jeter
2B Cano
LF Matsui
CF Bubba
RF Sheff
C Posada
1B Phillips
DH Giambi

not bad, I could live with that....

gdn
12-01-05, 12:21 PM
Please note that the above is NOT the batting order.

gdn
12-01-05, 12:21 PM
No way I'm batting Jason 9th. No way.I knew it. I should've been quicker with my disclaimer.

wileedog
12-01-05, 12:27 PM
Lee would be a good fit but don't you think he may be able to get a starting job elsewhere?

A) While he's an OK hitter, I don't think he's good enough to be an every day 1B in the lineup

B) Lefties destroy him. He would probably have to platoon regardless.

Some team may take a chance on him as a starter, but I think there is just as a good a chance he takes a backup role. He took one with us two years ago coming off a better season than he had last year.

Bradley is nuts, no question, but as an experiment, he should be our target. skills-wise he is far and above the other potential CFs. If he is tamed, he can be a steal.

I hate the idea of bringing in Bradley.

I just don't see many other viable options.

Fabien Brandy
12-01-05, 12:29 PM
Has anyone noticed..We have no DH??
What about Henry Rodriguez?

Remember that guy? The 'O Henry' era didn't last very long in NY.

DiMaggio5CF
12-01-05, 01:18 PM
I believe it was Buster Olney on XM Radio yesterday who said that Garciaparra would be good for the Yankees because he's a man without a job or a position right now. So the Yankees should bring him in to let him play SS, 2B, maybe even 3B, maybe even a little 1B, LF and CF . . . basically he'd help out whever needed and in the process he'd kind of reinvent himself a little to make himself more appealing to other teams.

The problem with the Yankees signing a full-time DH is that they need that spot to be open for Giambi and/or Sheffield to get some rest. But if you have a guy like Garciaparra who actually can play the field. Garciaparra probably needs the DH spot to stay healthy at this point, but he probably doesn't need it every day like some other injury-prone guys.

So basically bring him in on an incentive/options contract and move him all over the field in ST. And if you make sure to give him rest, he should stay healthy and hit the ball.

YankClipper5
12-01-05, 01:33 PM
I hate the idea of bringing in Bradley.

I just don't see many other viable options.

Why do you hate the idea? Sure his character isn't true to Yankee form but I am curious as to whether it is his tools or his character you are iffy about.

On another thing, I keep reading all of these super utility Nomar threads but I have no knowledge of him playing other positions, is it suggested he learn or can he legitimately play them? I think an IF adjustment for a player or his caliber is fine but I just was wondering if he actually has experience at these other positions, OF in particular.

WebsterMulligan
12-01-05, 01:38 PM
I believe it was Buster Olney on XM Radio yesterday who said that Garciaparra would be good for the Yankees because he's a man without a job or a position right now. So the Yankees should bring him in to let him play SS, 2B, maybe even 3B, maybe even a little 1B, LF and CF . . . basically he'd help out whever needed and in the process he'd kind of reinvent himself a little to make himself more appealing to other teams.

The problem with the Yankees signing a full-time DH is that they need that spot to be open for Giambi and/or Sheffield to get some rest. But if you have a guy like Garciaparra who actually can play the field. Garciaparra probably needs the DH spot to stay healthy at this point, but he probably doesn't need it every day like some other injury-prone guys.

So basically bring him in on an incentive/options contract and move him all over the field in ST. And if you make sure to give him rest, he should stay healthy and hit the ball.

I like this idea very much!

Garciaparra could probably be obtained for a song.

TEPLimey
12-01-05, 01:48 PM
Why do you hate the idea? Sure his character isn't true to Yankee form but I am curious as to whether it is his tools or his character you are iffy about.

On another thing, I keep reading all of these super utility Nomar threads but I have no knowledge of him playing other positions, is it suggested he learn or can he legitimately play them? I think an IF adjustment for a player or his caliber is fine but I just was wondering if he actually has experience at these other positions, OF in particular.

Cast-off, steroid-ravaged, aging baseball players who haven't played in 1 year, been healthy in 2, or played decent baseball in 3 are perfect for moving around to new positions.

Didn't you get the memo?

TheTinoMobile
12-01-05, 01:50 PM
Imagine if the Yankees got Nomar... we'd have the best 3 Shortstops in the game for the better part of the late 90's

YankClipper5
12-01-05, 01:51 PM
Cast-off, steroid-ravaged, aging baseball players who haven't played in 1 year, been healthy in 2, or played decent baseball in 3 are perfect for moving around to new positions.

Didn't you get the memo?

Must have missed it, forward a copy ASAP. I mean he was a great player but as far as I know only an SS, I mean he might be able to play decent ball for us and if he simply gets a tryout offer, why not, but I think a lot of people want to get what used to be the face of the Sox and it just doesn't fit in the puzzle...

TEPLimey
12-01-05, 01:57 PM
Must have missed it, forward a copy ASAP. I mean he was a great player but as far as I know only an SS, I mean he might be able to play decent ball for us and if he simply gets a tryout offer, why not, but I think a lot of people want to get what used to be the face of the Sox and it just doesn't fit in the puzzle...

If that's our goal, why not exhume Ted Williams, sign him to play CF and call it a day? This Nomar talk is ridiculous.

jimmykey2
12-01-05, 02:16 PM
If that's our goal, why not exhume Ted Williams, sign him to play CF and call it a day? This Nomar talk is ridiculous.

Signing Nomar to a 1 year incentive laden deal wouldn't be the dumbest thing in the world. Let him be the DH, but that doesn't mean he would start there every game. Giambi and Sheff could still get starts at DH. The key would be that he has to understand his role before he comes here. To me, it doesn't seem to be a loss. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle, if they don't he's gone soon anyway.

The idea of having Bernie Williams get the majority of those ABs doesn't sound good at all. The other idea of not having a real good DH in case Giambi or Sheff needs to play there doesn't help the team at all.

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 02:19 PM
Lets just bring back Paul O'Neil...if he doesnt work out, Cecil feilder will...if he's not 400 pounds by now.

jpao89
12-01-05, 02:23 PM
My preference for DH's:

Mike Piazza- Would not catching help his bat? Maybe a little, but his best days are behind him. Still, he would provide days off for Posada and is more offensively inclined then Kelly Stinett. Also, Piazza and the next option are obvious 1 year contracts that can just fill in until Duncan is ready for the bigs.

I just made this suggestion in another thread regarding backup catcher. I think the Yankees need to work on their bench after the bullpen is fixed. I just don't think there are many longterm CF options that won't cost the Yankees dearly in prospects. At least having a solid bench would lessen the fall off of Posada and the black hole in the lineup that Bubba will be.

ANSKYcm
12-01-05, 02:27 PM

He played some LF and 3B for the cubs last season. If you can play left you can play right. Also he was a SS, which means it shouldn't be too hard to play second as well. That covers LF, RF, SS, 2B, 3B, and even center since you can put him in left and have Matsui move over. How many other players that we could sign cheap for one year and provide that kind of insurance?

1yr. $4 mill with incentives that could bring it up to 7
maybe evn try for a $5 club option for 2007 (who knows, he could have a great year, drive his numbers up as a yank, and could provide some trade bait in 2007 for 5 mill.)

Evil Empire
12-01-05, 02:31 PM
You beat me to it
I actually beat him to it. http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=2924652&postcount=15

JDPNYY
12-01-05, 02:33 PM
I actually beat him to it. http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=2924652&postcount=15

Thanks Josh.

Evil Empire
12-01-05, 02:34 PM
Thanks Josh.
No no, Thanks John.

YankeeFan1
12-01-05, 02:47 PM
Frank Thomas has been released by the White Sox. He would be the perfect DH if healthy and if Bernie isn't re-signed for the position. However, Sheffield and Giambi probably need to play DH quite a bit.

YankClipper5
12-01-05, 03:52 PM
He played some LF and 3B for the cubs last season. If you can play left you can play right. Also he was a SS, which means it shouldn't be too hard to play second as well. That covers LF, RF, SS, 2B, 3B, and even center since you can put him in left and have Matsui move over. How many other players that we could sign cheap for one year and provide that kind of insurance?

1yr. $4 mill with incentives that could bring it up to 7
maybe evn try for a $5 club option for 2007 (who knows, he could have a great year, drive his numbers up as a yank, and could provide some trade bait in 2007 for 5 mill.)

EEK! I forgot he played a little 3b last year, and my assumption regarding the IF was he can learn, but that is more money than I want to spend on basically, a risky Miguel Cairo defense with an offense upside. I honestly would rather give the money to Bernie to be a DH, I am not confident in Nomar at all. I think he is done, last year was supposed to be where he proved himself again and he fell apart. The idea is intriguing but I think at best I would offer a 1 mil contract with a ton of incentives based on plate appearances to bring it to 2-3 mil maybe and then at that point have the remainder of the incentives based on production, way too risky to invest 4 mil on unless he is batting 280 or better for an extended clip, IMO

TEPLimey
12-01-05, 03:53 PM

owned

Iknowcool
12-01-05, 10:32 PM
How about Dhing Eric Duncan?

StatenIslandYankee
12-01-05, 10:52 PM
Sheffield/Giambi

wileedog
12-01-05, 11:18 PM
How about Dhing Eric Duncan?

Let him figure out AA ball first.

And start shaving.

DeputyFife
12-01-05, 11:26 PM

Yes.

I like your plan! I think Bradley is the best CF we can acquire and in comparison to his tools he can be had way cheap! A huge IF, but if we can get his head straight, he is a solid CF for at least 5 seasons with awesome tools. I like Jacque Jones in right and Sheff to DH, I think it is as extremely potent lineup without a hole really. I am not so high on Wilkerson but purely because I haven't seen much, I think more important is acquiring a guy who could backup 1B and give Giambi a chance to DH occasionally. Maybe see about bringing back Tino or Bellhorn on a way cheap contract or a ST invite? Or target Olerud again.

Yes

George Steinbrenner
12-02-05, 01:30 AM
i thought about this too

2 options

OPTION 1) add another outfielder, someone who can play good d in centerfield and hit in the bottom 3rd of the order. Im not here to argue about names because our options are running low. I wouldnt be opposed to a trade for Milton Bradley, Juan Pierre, Brad Wilkerson, Jason Michaels, etc etc obviously not for Wang/Cano/Hughes (we'd need to be getting Ichiro to even talk about these guys). Then we shift Gary to the DH spot, and try Melky (really underappreciated on this board) in RF. If he cant hack it were forced to play Gary and we got till the deadline to get a corner outfielder/DH to hit 8th, and thats really not too hard. The main thing is getting a good centerfielder, that will make every other move we make a lot easier.

If we miss out on absolutely every trade oppurtunity for Centerfield (and I think were trying to trade for a CF) then I still have a gut feeling Damon is our backup plan. Boston is not gonna be able to pay him, and I wouldnt be opposed to a 4 year deal for 10-11 mil a year. Overpaying? Yes but giving him only 4 years we figure to get 2 seasons at his current level (a.300+ clutch hitter, slightly lower OB% than we'd like, 15-25 steals and a good glove good range, bad arm). Obviously we offer 3 year deals initially and play hardball with Scotty ;) , we try every possible way to make it 3 yrs maybe an opt. for the 4th) But in the end I really believe hes gonna have nowhere to go because Boston is gonna have to pick up alot of Mannys deal and fill other holes. BUT I PREFER ANY ONE OF THE TRADE POSSIBILITIES ABOVE OVER SIGNING JONNY just so its clear.

OPTION 2)
Sign Molina, start him at catcher. Posada DHs (occasionally play catcher but keep him from getting his 07 option)

Personally I prefer Option 1 because I think we'll overpay for Molina (overated).

NYDCYankee
12-02-05, 01:50 AM
I think Nomar could be a very valuable piece and high return player. I also would like to see Bradley on this team. I think this would be the best lineup we could have with giving up the least...

Jeter-SS
Bradley-CF
AROD-3B
Sheff-RF
Giambi-1B
Matsui-LF
Nomar-DH
Posada-C
Cano-2B

StatenIslandYankee
12-02-05, 01:57 AM
I think Nomar could be a very valuable piece and high return player. I also would like to see Bradley on this team. I think this would be the best lineup we could have with giving up the least...

Jeter-SS
Bradley-CF
AROD-3B
Sheff-RF
Giambi-1B
Matsui-LF
Nomar-DH
Posada-C
Cano-2B
That actually is a pretty nasty lineup.

BeantownYankee
12-02-05, 07:06 AM
I just made this suggestion in another thread regarding backup catcher. I think the Yankees need to work on their bench after the bullpen is fixed. I just don't think there are many longterm CF options that won't cost the Yankees dearly in prospects. At least having a solid bench would lessen the fall off of Posada and the black hole in the lineup that Bubba will be.

I also would like to see them sign Piazza. He's already NY proven, could backup catcher & 1b. I don't think it'll happen though.

BobbyMurcerFan
12-02-05, 07:24 AM
umm..what about Piazza? Hey, just throwing it out there....I really believe that Piazza will have a very good year as a DH next year.

CTyankeefan
12-02-05, 08:19 AM
I'm hopin' the Yankees get a CF like a Jason Michaels, move Bubba Crosby to RF, and put Sheff in DH.

Ughh. That is a horrible outfield. We want to win the world series, right?

Anyhow, the DH spot is going to stay open for flexibility. I bet we re-sign Bernie and Bernie, Giambi and Sheffield will all split time at DH. No one will have a strenglehold on it.

That is why I wanted Brian Giles here. It would move Sheff to DH and save him some wear and tear.

Sheff would be the perfect DH to be quite honest.

38Special
12-02-05, 08:25 AM
SS Jeter
CF Bradley
1B Giambi
3B A-Rod
DH Sheffield
LF Matsui
RF Garciaparra
2B Cano
C Posada

done and done ;)

edit: damn i was beating somewhat. I think Nomar could play RF better than Sheffield

iodon
12-02-05, 08:25 AM

Jeter-SS
Bradley-CF
AROD-3B
Sheff-RF
Giambi-1B
Matsui-LF
Nomar-DH
Posada-C
Cano-2B

This is a pretty amazing lineup. I really think we could easily have the best 1-9 in the majors, plus we wouldn't have to spend a fortune or give up young talent. I'm sure that someone will now use some obscure stat to tell me that this lineup sucks, but from a pure intimidation standpoint, it's impressive.

And to think that i came into this thread to discuss Frank Thomas...

wileedog
12-02-05, 08:38 AM
Character and injury history.

He's only played a full season once and he's coming off major knee surgery.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't spend significant time on the DL or wind up in jail for beating Michael Kay senseless in a postgame interview.

Which leaves us back to Bubba.

YankClipper5
12-02-05, 10:07 AM
Character and injury history.

He's only played a full season once and he's coming off major knee surgery.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't spend significant time on the DL or wind up in jail for beating Michael Kay senseless in a postgame interview.

Which leaves us back to Bubba.

Injury concerns I understand but his character is worth the chance. If he is healthy over a full season, his game would make him the best CF available right now. He has an excellent arm and range to cover a huge CF, along with the fact that he gets on base well. IMHO, the other options to acquire for CF don't offer a big enough upgrade over Bubba to warrant losing talent to acquire, which is why I say, take the chance on Milt and in worst case we have Bubba and perhaps acquire something before the deadline.

wileedog
12-02-05, 11:41 AM
If he is healthy over a full season, his game would make him the best CF available right now.

Again, he's pulled off 500ABs in a season once, and tired noticeably down the stretch in that season. He is coming off knee surgery and we have no idea if that will affect his speed or range. Rumor has it he may not even be ready for spring training.

I would be worried about annointing him the starting CFer if he was Saint Tino Martinez, much less the explosive gas bag that is Milton Bradley.

Like I said, if its the only option, you do it over Bubba and pray for the best. but I would explore every other option under the sun first. Even this Pierre/Proctor/Henn thing.

Bernie Inferno
12-02-05, 12:24 PM

I don't think a few posters around here would mind the Michael Kay part! :lol:

wileedog
12-02-05, 12:26 PM
I don't think a few posters around here would mind the Michael Kay part! :lol:

Yeah, I should have listed that as a positive.....

Munson's 'Stash
12-03-05, 02:03 PM
When a team has as many aging veterans as the Yankees you do not try to fill the DH position, you try to keep it open. Thinking about a big name DH stems from a purile fascination with hitting; this club has a lot more problems that are not nearly as sexy: the back end of the rotation, the pen, the 4th OF, and the bench.

Nomar might be a nice option, but I don't think the Yankees match with what he thinks will best for his career path. He's still looking for the big contract that Arod and Jeter got. He's going to want to reinvent himself, but only at one position. He'd be killing his value by signing on for a utility role that bounced him around and gave him irregular playing time. Any team that gets him will have to offer him a starting job. He'll probably look to play 2B or 3B before moving to the OF (IMO 3B would be his best spot; he's got a canon arm and would need quick reations on defense, not great range); I'd expect him to take a bit less to goto a team that fits these requirements.

Piazza is interesting for the 3rd C angle. If anything went horribly wrong (like someone put out a hit on Possada to keep him from meeting the incentives that vest his option) the Yankees aren't competely sh!t out of luck. It's a nice bit of depth, but the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Iknowcool
12-03-05, 03:06 PM
Eric Duncan might be the DH to start the season. Sure, he had a sub-par 2004 minor league season. But he had a great AFL and with a good ST, he could take the job. Would be a good no.2 hitter, behind Jeter. Which we lack.

JDPNYY
12-03-05, 03:21 PM
We should get a speedy quick leadoff hitting DH. It's getting late early, what is Cashman waiting for?

ICEBERG18
12-03-05, 03:24 PM
Eric Duncan might be the DH to start the season. Sure, he had a sub-par 2004 minor league season. But he had a great AFL and with a good ST, he could take the job. Would be a good no.2 hitter, behind Jeter. Which we lack.

No chance.

Kulish29
12-03-05, 03:30 PM

Not a chance of this happening at all.

He's not ready.

surge511
12-03-05, 05:10 PM
SS Jeter
CF Bradley
1B Giambi
3B A-Rod
DH Sheffield
LF Matsui
RF Garciaparra
2B Cano
C Posada

done and done ;)

edit: damn i was beating somewhat. I think Nomar could play RF better than Sheffield

That is a sick lineup, and more and more I am agreeing with getting Bradley relatively cheap. However, if you look at his career stats, I don't think he is best for the 2-hole. This would be my lineup:

Jeter
Matsui
Arod
Giambi
Sheffield
Garciaparra
Bradley
Posada
Cano

Bradley's AVG is not great for a 2 hitter, his OBP is decent. But I think he would be much better as a #7 hitter. With that lineup, however, it really doesn't matter who bats where, they're all so good. This offseason would be amazing if Cash got this done.

surge511
12-03-05, 05:14 PM

No matter how good Duncan does in ST, I can't see this happening. Plus, he is not meant to be a #2 hitter. He is more of a #5, 6 hitter with his big homer, big strikeout potential.

Zimmers' Helmet
12-03-05, 09:03 PM
What's wrong with signing or trading for another catcher with Posada being the primary DH and occasional catcher? I definately believe that Jorge would excel offensively if he were relieved of the strain of catching on a regular basis.

Irabu's Son
12-04-05, 10:11 AM
Bradley's AVG is not great for a 2 hitter, his OBP is decent. But I think he would be much better as a #7 hitter. With that lineup, however, it really doesn't matter who bats where, they're all so good. This offseason would be amazing if Cash got this done.

I read somewhere that Bradley mashes LHP and is average against RHP. Maybe against lefties hit him second, and then ninth against righties.

Edit: here are splits: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6406&type=batting3

.326 against lefties, .275 against righties.

Quangormo
12-06-05, 12:46 PM
If the lineup is set for next year, which it appears is a possibility, the only DH we will have next year is Giambi/Andy Phillips. The plan was to have Phillips as a backup 1B to give Giambi a few days off against lefties, but unless we get someone else, he'll be playing every day against both lefties and righties. Do we want that? Will they sign Sierra as a DH? (hopenot) Will they just keep Phillips in every day? Or will they go out and get someone to fill that hole? If so, who?
Bring back Bernie and he can take ABS from Phillips (he's a better hitter.) Crosby can play CF against most pitchers, but Bernie could spell him against tough lefties like Santana. And you would not have Phillips and Crosby in the ilineup at the same time all that often.

Quangormo
12-06-05, 12:53 PM
Apparently, Cashman hasn't noticed.

wileedog
12-06-05, 12:59 PM
Bring back Bernie and he can take ABS from Phillips (he's a better hitter.) Crosby can play CF against most pitchers, but Bernie could spell him against tough lefties like Santana. And you would not have Phillips and Crosby in the ilineup at the same time all that often.

Bringing back Bernie would be about the worst possible alternative other than re-signing Ruben Sierra.

PerfectCone
12-06-05, 01:01 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:

buntsalot2
12-06-05, 11:08 PM
with 'versatility' Ca$hman's new modus operendi, i find Conine interesting:

Category G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG TB SF SH HBP IBB GDP
PLAYING OF 61 196 26 66 14 1 3 22 25 28 1 0 .412 .464 .337 91 3 2 2 1 11

those are just his OF stats, not 1B or anything else. not shabby, not shabby at all.

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-05, 11:10 PM
Bringing back Bernie would be about the worst possible alternative other than re-signing Ruben Sierra.
SHHHHHHHHHH the Mist wil here you and he'll start waving that "Bring Back Ruben Petition" around and it will be a whole big mess and blah blah blah. But I do agree with you 100%

TEPLimey
12-06-05, 11:44 PM
As Cashman has correctly stated, this team needs a defensive replacement who can get an occasional hit and give some relief to our everyday players on off days without sacrificing a ton of offense.

What this team does not need is a non-versatile injury-risk with a history of insanity, demanding a large salary, or clogging up the "guys who is unable to field properly" role, which is currently 4-5 players deep at this juncture.

The better solution is to sign a decent defensive OF with decent offensive states (Jones/Wilkerson, for example) and a defensive IF (Cairo/Escalona) and sliding Sheffield/Matsui/Giambi into the DH role.

Jeter - SS
ARod - 3B
Sheff - DH
Giambi - 1B
Matsui - LF
Jones/Wilkerson - RF
Posada - C
Cano - 2B
Crosby - CF

Bench - Cairo/Escalona, Phillips/Lee/Olderdude, Stinnett, & some lucky fan

This approach might not look as enticing as the one that features Bradley, Nomar, Mickey Mantle's frozen embyo, etc., but it will by far better defensively, more versatile, and much cheaper.

Quangormo
12-07-05, 03:59 PM
I've noticed. I'd get a 1B and make Jason the DH. Get someone like J.T. Snow, who is terrific defensively and hits enough.

But Cashman doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

ojo
12-07-05, 04:03 PM
I've noticed. I'd get a 1B and make Jason the DH. Get someone like J.T. Snow, who is terrific defensively and hits enough.

But Cashman doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

andy phillips is ML ready. he mashed at AAA last year: why not see if he's the real deal?

Skaggs09
12-07-05, 04:06 PM
I think they should give Andy Phillips a shot at first with Giambi DH-ing. If he struggles, we could sign a free agent or trade for someone near the trade deadline. After hitting .300 with 22 homers in AAA i think Phillips deffinitly deserves a chance.

Yankee Bulldawg
12-07-05, 04:31 PM
Frank Thomas is available

Irabu's Son
12-07-05, 05:01 PM
Frank Thomas is available

For what cost?