PDA

View Full Version : WFAN: Yankees sign Kelly Stinnett (rumor)

Mark19
11-30-05, 01:17 AM
A friend just told me he heard this.

This wouldn't be a terrible choice, he is only 2 years younger than Flaherty.

He can hit a little and worked with Randy for 2 years in AZ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5193

NYDCYankee
11-30-05, 01:26 AM
I think we can officially call our offseason a success now.

Espinosa's Glasses
11-30-05, 01:34 AM
sweet

Buzah!
11-30-05, 01:37 AM
a slightly younger version of Flaherty...

Dooley Womack
11-30-05, 01:43 AM
a slightly younger version of Flaherty...

Slightly better bat, slightly worse defense (especially throwing out runners) it seems. The Yanks could have done worse.

ICEBERG18
11-30-05, 02:17 AM
STINNETT AGREES

TO YANK PACT

Kelly Stinnett is in and John Flaherty is out.

The journeyman Stinnett, 35, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Yankees to be Jorge Posada's backup catcher, a role the popular Flaherty handled the past three seasons.

The Yankees had been talking to Todd Pratt and Stinnett, and late last night Pratt told friends the Yankees were going with Stinnett, who is three years younger than Pratt, a better defensive catcher and has experience handling Randy Johnson from his Arizona days.

Flaherty, who played a huge part in Johnson's second half turnaround, has drawn interest from the Nationals and Phillies.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/58287.htm

ChrisV82
11-30-05, 02:17 AM
I think we can officially call our offseason a success now.

I know you're being facetious, but with a career .239 BA and .320 OBP, how can we not sign him? At the age of 35, he can still feel his legs.

DiMaggio5CF
11-30-05, 02:21 AM
I don't really see a reason to go with Stinnett over Flaherty, but I don't really see a reason to stick with Flaherty over Stinnett either.

I like Flash and if all else was equal, I'd rather have him back. It makes sense if Flaherty would have cost more, which he probably would have, but even then how much of a salary difference can there be between two similar backup catchers?

If Stinnett has a better chemistry with Randy Johnson than Flaherty does, then it makes a lot of sense, but there'e really no way for any of us to know that. But to be honest, that still no good reason why Posada can't get along with Johnson.

I think we all agree that Posada should get a lot of rest, but it shouldn't be in a way that will force us to weaken our offense in the playoffs.

Bottom line: No opinion one way or another on this move.

NYDCYankee
11-30-05, 02:23 AM
I don't really see a reason to go with Stinnett over Flaherty, but I don't really see a reason to stick with Flaherty over Stinnett either.

I like Flash and if all else was equal, I'd rather have him back. It makes sense if Flaherty would have cost more, which he probably would have, but even then how much of a salary difference can there be between two similar backup catchers?

I read somewhere that Flash didn't want to come back.

DiMaggio5CF
11-30-05, 02:24 AM
I read somewhere that Flash didn't want to come back.

Oh.

Then ................ him! We got Kelly Stinnett, baby!!!!

StatenIslandYankee
11-30-05, 02:36 AM
I like this move actually.

mbn007
11-30-05, 07:14 AM
If he has 2 seasons of experience with Randy, I like this move.

And he will hit better then .165. :D

BeantownYankee
11-30-05, 07:44 AM
When's the press conference? :D

ring403
11-30-05, 08:18 AM
Since the signing has apparently now been confirmed, let's contiinue the discussion here: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91333