PDA

View Full Version : Is Johnny Da' mon For Yanks? Best Offer?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 02:27 AM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/11346288118490.xml&coll=1

Damon not sold on Bosox

NEW YORK -- Johnny Damon, who would fit nicely in the Yankees lineup as leadoff man and center fielder, is wary of returning to the Boston Red Sox because of the turnover in their front office, according to a person who has spoken to him recently.

The person said yesterday that staying in Boston would be Damon's top choice sentimentally, but he expects Damon to sign with whichever contending team makes the best offer -- perhaps a good sign for the Yankees.

Damon's friend said the leadoff hitter has a definite interest in the Yankees and has been put off somewhat, but not completely, by the resignation of Boston general manager Theo Epstein (who had good relationships with Sox players) and the resulting fallout.

dabomb2045
12-15-05, 02:28 AM
I dont necessarily want him (at least not for more then 3 years)....but I fully expect Damon to end up here.

27IsNext
12-15-05, 02:31 AM
What? Small instead of Chacon, Sierra Mist have you hijacked BB55's name?

No, because then Randy Johnson's name would be off the list in favor of Small.

BroadwayBomber55
12-15-05, 02:34 AM
What? Small instead of Chacon, Sierra Mist have you hijacked BB55's name?

I'm just jokin'. ;)

shotgun_sam
12-15-05, 02:36 AM
as someone mentioned on another thread (i think)

i'm thinking that we end up with Rocket, Nomar, and Damon before it's over.

how's that for irony.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 03:31 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/59715.htm

CENTER OF ATTENTION

Johnny Damon is living "The Perfect Storm" as a free agent. Nomar Garciaparra isn't far behind.
Not only does Damon have blood enemies, the Red Sox and Yankees, each interested in him, although not for seven years, the leadoff hitter and center fielder has the Dodgers seriously in play.

According to several sources, Damon will visit the Dodgers tomorrow. The buzz is that the Dodgers are willing to go further than the four years the Yankees and Red Sox are comfortable offering the 32-year-old.

Unless agent Scott Boras has a mystery team or two involved (always a possibility), the Dodgers likely are the team that has offered Damon five years for $49 million.

With former Red Sox manager Grady Little the Dodgers' manager, and ex-Red Sox third baseman Bill Mueller signing yesterday with L.A., Damon may feel more comfortable in Hollywood than in Boston or The Bronx.

IncredibleByNature
12-15-05, 03:42 AM
I hope Damon feels more comfortable in Hollywood than in the Bronx. I don't want him.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 03:50 AM
I hope Damon feels more comfortable in Hollywood than in the Bronx. I don't want him.

Certianly looks possible

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 03:56 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/15/hes_now_an_artful_dodger/?page=2

The Dodgers, according to a report yesterday in Newsday, also could be in pursuit of Johnny Damon. That paper, citing ''multiple officials," reported that Damon is scheduled to meet with the Dodgers in Los Angeles this weekend. However, a Dodgers source disputed that yesterday, saying the club's interest in Damon has not progressed to the point that a visit had been scheduled.

However, the Dodgers could become involved in the bidding, and the presence of Little and Mueller certainly wouldn't hurt the Dodgers' chances of landing Damon. In the index of Damon's book, under Little's name, there are five page references listed after the heading ''Admiration for." And Mueller? Well, Damon fondly said of him this past season, ''I want my son to play like Billy Mueller."

The Yankees, too, might make a play for the 32-year-old Sox leadoff hitter. Yankees manager Joe Torre, who often helps GM Brian Cashman recruit players by placing phone calls to them, reportedly dialed Damon earlier this week.

The Sox, meanwhile, have made two known offers to Damon, most recently for four years and $40 million. Hoyer said yesterday that the Damon negotiation ''could go past the holidays." Damon's contract talks could drag on, similar to Carlos Beltran's last offseason. Beltran, who, like Damon, is represented by Scott Boras, didn't agree to terms with the Mets until Jan. 9. Boras did not return a message left yesterday.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 04:30 AM
http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-yankees1215.artdec15,0,7620810.story?coll=hc-headlines-baseball

The Yankees have been coy long enough. It was inevitable they would come around to pursuing free agent center fielder Johnny Damon, and they may be ready to spring.

Manager Joe Torre has made a phone call to Damon, and that is historically the Yankees' most powerful recruiting tool. Sources within the organization say the Yankees are prepared to offer Damon the best four-year deal he can get in the hope agent Scott Boras will soften his demand for a five- to seven-year commitment.

The Red Sox, who began with a three-year, $27 million offer and have since upped it to four years and $40 million, no longer appear confident of re-signing Damon. According to a Boston Globe report, they have had talks with the Mariners about 24-year-old center fielder Jeremy Reed.

Newsday reported the Yankees' intention to make a "strong" four-year offer for Damon, and that Boras was still unwilling to consider anything shorter than five years.

IncredibleByNature
12-15-05, 04:35 AM
Go be w/ your buddy Billy, Damon. Back away from the pinstripes...

Spiker101
12-15-05, 07:05 AM
Is this saying that Kotsay was worse than Bernie?

Yes, which tells you every, single thing you need to know about range factor.

flymick24
12-15-05, 07:08 AM
damon for 1 year, let alone 4, frightens me greatly

flymick24
12-15-05, 07:10 AM
Johnny Damon ain't goin' to the Yankees. Even if Roger Clemens returns as a Yankee, will a second stint be as good as the first stint? We all don't know that.

So if the Yankees do get Roger Clemens, this will be the rotation?

1. Randy Johnson
2. Roger Clemens
3. Mike Mussina
4. Shawn Chacon
5. Chien-Ming Wang

so pavano and wright have both been traded at this point?

noneckwilliams
12-15-05, 07:37 AM

Hopefully he'll spend a weekend at the Playboy Mansion.

goin for 27
12-15-05, 07:55 AM
I have been an advocate of Damon, but I much prefer Reed. If Cashman could have swapped Pavano for Reed, and chose not to, and the Sox get him instead, that is not good.

shotgun_sam
12-15-05, 12:29 PM
that's what i said, but cashman is an idiot.

Cash is an idiot?

I'm sure you'll make a fine GM someday, one that will never inspire the wrath of anyone on a message board, ever. :D

wileedog
12-15-05, 12:39 PM
Cash is an idiot?

I'm sure you'll make a fine GM someday, one that will never inspire the wrath of anyone on a message board, ever. :D

Without knowing the full details of the proposed deal its hard to call anyone an idiot.

For all we know Seattle offered Reed but demanded the Yanks pick up most of Pavano's salary, which would be absurd no matter what Reed's potential is.

Wang's Groundballs
12-15-05, 01:03 PM
Yes, which tells you every, single thing you need to know about range factor.

Except that that's not based on RF...

EE, it does say that. Kotsay was also playing through a back injury the whole year, so it's no surprise he did poorly on defense.

Wang's Groundballs
12-15-05, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm pissed about that.

I just hope they have as indepth of a franchise mode and at least have a similar pitching control.

DJ27
12-15-05, 01:09 PM
I have been an advocate of Damon, but I much prefer Reed. If Cashman could have swapped Pavano for Reed, and chose not to, and the Sox get him instead, that is not good.
He is waiting out for Seattle to throw in a bullpen guy?? Hope he gets something done. We will have to wait and see.

drjeckyl
12-15-05, 01:22 PM
Damon going to the Dodgers has an interesting side benefit to the Yankees in that he won't be in Beantown anymore. Addition by subtraction.

NDBoston
12-15-05, 01:49 PM
Damon going to the Dodgers has an interesting side benefit to the Yankees in that he won't be in Beantown anymore. Addition by subtraction.

Do you see the Dodgers going 5 years? I don't.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-15-05, 01:51 PM

Did the Sox offer 5?

Just curious, I don't have time to read the whole thread

JeffWeaverFan
12-15-05, 01:51 PM
It would be a plus for the Yankees if the Red Sox signed Damon to a longterm deal.

NDBoston
12-15-05, 01:53 PM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/11346288118490.xml&coll=1

Damon not sold on Bosox

I see Scott Boras has been busy :lol: Damon didn't seemed to concerned with the GM situation when he signed in Boston the first time around. This is all about trying to have the Red Sox bump up the dollars.

I hate to admit it, but Boras is great at his job.

NDBoston
12-15-05, 01:55 PM
Did the Sox offer 5?

Just curious, I don't have time to read the whole thread

The Red Sox offered 4. The thinking is that a team wanting Damon is going to have to give another year to get him out of Boston. Who knows how true that is, but I really feel he wants to stay in Boston.

I'm actually rooting for a trade to have Jeremy Reed in CF for the next 4 years in Boston. I think Damon's done soon.

PittsburghYankeeFan
12-15-05, 01:57 PM

Frank McCourt is stupid enough, so my guess is that they offer 5. McCourt/Lasorda is much like Steinbrenner/Emslie...

Espinosa's Glasses
12-15-05, 02:05 PM
The Red Sox offered 4. The thinking is that a team wanting Damon is going to have to give another year to get him out of Boston. Who knows how true that is, but I really feel he wants to stay in Boston.

I'm actually rooting for a trade to have Jeremy Reed in CF for the next 4 years in Boston. I think Damon's done soon.

I think he wants to stay there too... mainly because this is too similar to Varitek's situation... with a few dissimilarites... but none of them are that relevant

drjeckyl
12-15-05, 02:23 PM
It would be a plus for the Yankees if the Red Sox signed Damon to a longterm deal.

I don't disagree, but I was referring to next year. I believe the sox would be a better team with Damon than without. I think, however, the long term impact would depend on other factors. Like the teams overall financial flexibility and the availibility of better players. Both the Sox and the Yankees could bury a poor signing in the long term as long as a more productive player was available to take over when the time comes.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-15-05, 02:26 PM
If the Sox signed Damon to a long term deal... It wouldn't be good... and I'll tell you my reason...

There will be some team... some really dumb team to trade for him in his 4th or 5th year... and give up some mega-highly-regarded prospect...

It always happens...

goin for 27
12-15-05, 02:42 PM
If the Sox signed Damon to a long term deal... It wouldn't be good... and I'll tell you my reason...

There will be some team... some really dumb team to trade for him in his 4th or 5th year... and give up some mega-highly-regarded prospect...

It always happens...

Not this time.

If the Red Sox sign Damon, at the end of next year, he will be a 10/5 guy, so he can veto whatever he wants.

Spiker101
12-15-05, 02:52 PM
Except that that's not based on RF...

EE, it does say that. Kotsay was also playing through a back injury the whole year, so it's no surprise he did poorly on defense.

Look at the chart again

goin for 27
12-15-05, 03:18 PM
He is waiting out for Seattle to throw in a bullpen guy?? Hope he gets something done. We will have to wait and see.

I sure hope so..

Reed's projected VORP....

2006 21.4
2007 24.1
2008 28.8
2009 24.0

If he is even close to these numbers, he would be an absolute steal. Especially with his defensive prowess.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-15-05, 03:22 PM
Please, anyone but Damon Brian...

ryanthe13th
12-15-05, 03:32 PM

It always happens...

If that were the case, then don't you think there would be more teams calling Damon and telling him to lower the amount of years than just Boston, New York, and Los Angeles? It's true that we don't know for sure who is all in the running for Damon, but I am suprised at the lack of enthusiasm teams are approaching him with. He's not a good defensive CFer, but I thought his star power would bring him a great amount of interest from many teams.

27IsNext
12-15-05, 03:32 PM
Cashman, unless he's going to take a 2-year deal, just stay away from the guy, please. We already have a Damon-esque player in Brett Gardner down in the minors. Find a stop-gap.

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 03:35 PM
Please, anyone but Damon Brian...
You probably need to address your plea to George because he's probably the one that Cashman is trying to hold off from making that mistake.

Tifoso
12-15-05, 03:39 PM
I sure hope so..

Reed's projected VORP....

2006 21.4
2007 24.1
2008 28.8
2009 24.0

If he is even close to these numbers, he would be an absolute steal. Especially with his defensive prowess.

But his GLEEP has been steadily (and dramatically) dropping every year. :dunno:

NewEraYanks2527
12-15-05, 03:40 PM
Cashman, unless he's going to take a 2-year deal, just stay away from the guy, please. We already have a Damon-esque player in Brett Gardner down in the minors. Find a stop-gap. How much is he like Damon? A good leadoff hitter with good range in center with a noodle arm? I dont know much about him.

NewEraYanks2527
12-15-05, 03:41 PM
But his GLEEP has been steadily (and dramatically) dropping every year. :dunno: What the ................ is GLEEP now? Jesus there are so many things I had never even heard of until I got on these boards.

Tifoso
12-15-05, 03:43 PM
What the ................ is GLEEP now? Jesus there are so many things I had never even heard of until I got on these boards.

Hell if I know. :dunno:

(that was kinda my point, TBH....ie, I'm with you ;) )

NewEraYanks2527
12-15-05, 03:44 PM
Hell if I know. :dunno:

(that was kinda my point, TBH....ie, I'm with you ;) ) Good, glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Wang's Groundballs
12-15-05, 03:46 PM
Look at the chart again

Considering I made it I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. If you mean Range+, that's using the players (ZR * 1000 opps) - (avgZR * 1000 opps) + 100. Just like ERA+ and OPS+ 100 is average; anything above 100 is above average; anything below 100 is below average.

Tifoso
12-15-05, 03:47 PM
Good, glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

OPS I like, though. :)

NewEraYanks2527
12-15-05, 03:48 PM
OPS I like, though. :) Yea I like that one too, it is a good one.

effdamets
12-15-05, 03:59 PM
Good, glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.
GLEEP actually stands for Graphite Low-Energy Experimental Pile.

Tifoso
12-15-05, 04:00 PM
GLEEP actually stands for Graphite Low-Energy Experimental Pile.

Thanks. Will sleep better tonight. ;) :D

effdamets
12-15-05, 04:03 PM
Thanks. Will sleep better tonight. ;) :D
Glad to be of help!

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 04:52 PM
An added note from today's Mike and Mad Dog interview with Cashman. Cashman specifically stated that Steinbrenner runs the Yankee ship despite Mad Dog's contention that Cashman appears to be in control this off-season.

ReggieBar
12-15-05, 04:53 PM
An added note from today's Mike and Mad Dog interview with Cashman. Cashman specifically stated that Steinbrenner runs the Yankee ship despite Mad Dog's contention that Cashman appears to be in control this off-season.

I think Cashman is in control AND George runs the ship.

ryanthe13th
12-15-05, 04:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is true. If Steinbrenner truly was running the ship, he would've went banannas with spending on Giles, possibly Ryan, and Damon would be in a Yankee uniform already.

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 04:59 PM
I think Cashman is in control AND George runs the ship.
I'm on the outside looking in, so I can't say for sure who's controlling what except that Cashman stated today that he "thinks George Steinbrenner runs the ship" and that he (Cashman) tries to involve the entire Yankee management team in the baseball operation process so that Steinbrenner can make the right decision.

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is true. If Steinbrenner truly was running the ship, he would've went banannas with spending on Giles, possibly Ryan, and Damon would be in a Yankee uniform already.
Like myself, we can all speculate on what is really happening with the running of the Yankees, I'm just reporting what Cashman said today.

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 05:07 PM
One thing I will say about Cashman is that he appears to be one cool customer and has a self-confidence about himself that comes through, but not in a conceited manner.

Jersey Yankee
12-15-05, 05:18 PM

For how much were they offering that 4 year deal? Incentives or all guaranteed, including the 4th year?

Article from redsox.com:

Sox ponder Damon contingencies
Club reportedly discussing trade for Seattle's Reed (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051213&content_id=1281625&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

Spiker101
12-15-05, 05:23 PM
Considering I made it I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. If you mean Range+, that's using the players (ZR * 1000 opps) - (avgZR * 1000 opps) + 100. Just like ERA+ and OPS+ 100 is average; anything above 100 is above average; anything below 100 is below average.

My mistake, but is this your invention? And if so do you explain it somewhere? And if it's some regiggling of zone ratings why do you call it Range +? I'm sincerely curious.

Jersey Yankee
12-15-05, 05:29 PM
So you think that anyone working for Big Stein would dare say that he's in charge? As Homey the Clown has often said:

I don't *THINK* so.

Wang's Groundballs
12-15-05, 05:29 PM
My mistake, but is this your invention? And if so do you explain it somewhere? And if it's some regiggling of zone ratings why do you call it Range +? I'm sincerely curious.

I did come up with that part myself. I think I've explained it elsewhere, but it was just in some random thread.

What you do is calculate the average ZR at each position for the AL and NL. Then you just do:

(Player's ZR * 1000) - (League Avg. ZR * 1000) + 100

This is just a way to see how each defender fared with equal playing time/opportunities to everybody else that I listed (14 players in AL with most playing time at that position and 16 in the NL).

O (+/-) is how many outs the player made on balls in his zone over what the average player did.

Runs is the number of O (+/-) * avg. Run value of play at that position

I don't know why I named it Range+. I've called it that and ZR+. I guess I liked Range+ since I consider ZR to be a pretty decent measure of range.

YankeePride1967
12-15-05, 05:34 PM
Listening to XM's Home Plate, it appears the Dodgers are willing to give Damon more years than the Yanks or Sox are willing to give. (meaning likely 5)

RhodeyYankee2638
12-15-05, 05:36 PM
Listening to XM's Home Plate, it appears the Dodgers are willing to give Damon more years than the Yanks or Sox are willing to give. (meaning likely 5)

Take him, LA, take him. 5 years is stupid. Brown, Drew, Dreitfort. Why does LA love giving awful contracts to players

MiamiKat
12-15-05, 05:48 PM
So you think that anyone working for Big Stein would dare say that he's in charge? As Homey the Clown has often said:

I don't *THINK* so.
Exactly.

As long as Mr. Steinbrenner signs Cashman's paycheck, Cashman will say George runs the ship.

Snatch Catch
12-15-05, 05:49 PM
Take him, LA, take him. 5 years is stupid. Brown, Drew, Dreitfort. Why does LA love giving awful contracts to players

All Boras, all the time.

Tifoso
Exactly. As long as Mr. Steinbrenner signs the paychecks, he runs the ship..

Which is as it should be. :)

23and2
I read somewhere the LA offer was rumored to be 5 Years at $50M... If it's a choice between 4/$44 to stay with Boston... or the LA offer, do you think the extra $6M would lure him to LA? If you Damon, can't you figure that after the 4 year contract, you might get a 2-Year deal somewhere worth at least $6M?

Tifoso
12-15-05, 05:51 PM
I read somewhere the LA offer was rumored to be 5 Years at $50M... If it's a choice between 4/$44 to stay with Boston... or the LA offer, do you think the extra $6M would lure him to LA? If you Damon, can't you figure that after the 4 year contract, you might get a 2-Year deal somewhere worth at least $6M?

But it's the Dodgers. :barf:

BJG
12-15-05, 05:54 PM
But it's the Dodgers. :barf:

It's not that much money either, is it? Something like 5 years, $49M (yes, I know, it's all relative). If he can get 4/44 from the Red Sox, he might as well just take that.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-15-05, 05:58 PM
All Boras, all the time.

I swear if I were a GM i would have a hard time dealing with him. Some of the stuff he says is hilarious

Tifoso
12-15-05, 05:59 PM
It's not that much money either, is it? Something like 5 years, $49M (yes, I know, it's all relative). If he can get 4/44 from the Red Sox, he might as well just take that.

Unless he thinks it's time to move to greener pastures. It's happened before.

Fabien Brandy
12-15-05, 05:59 PM
If the Dodgers sign Damon the Red Sox would get LA's 2nd rounder for Damon and 4th rounder for Mueller (with Atlanta getting the 3rd rounder for Furcal).

The Dodgers better pick wisely with that protected pick and sign Hochevar.

SoCal Pinstriper
12-15-05, 06:05 PM
Take him, LA, take him. 5 years is stupid. Brown, Drew, Dreitfort. Why does LA love giving awful contracts to playersEach one that they hand out produces terrible results, which in turn puts more pressure on them to "make a splash" the following off season. It's a brutal cycle.

Side note. If Damon is signed, each of the deals in your post will have been perpetrated by a different FO administration. That might be part of the problem.

Spiker101
12-15-05, 06:33 PM
I did come up with that part myself. I think I've explained it elsewhere, but it was just in some random thread.

What you do is calculate the average ZR at each position for the AL and NL. Then you just do:

(Player's ZR * 1000) - (League Avg. ZR * 1000) + 100

This is just a way to see how each defender fared with equal playing time/opportunities to everybody else that I listed (14 players in AL with most playing time at that position and 16 in the NL).

O (+/-) is how many outs the player made on balls in his zone over what the average player did.

Runs is the number of O (+/-) * avg. Run value of play at that position

I don't know why I named it Range+. I've called it that and ZR+. I guess I liked Range+ since I consider ZR to be a pretty decent measure of range.

Appreciate the enlightment. You do better than most people in explaining the math behind it all.

IrishYankee
12-15-05, 07:33 PM
Please sign him LA

JUST SAY NO TO JOHNNY D'OH

noneckwilliams
12-15-05, 08:46 PM
Please sign him LA

JUST SAY NO TO JOHNNY D'OH

I feel like a death row inmate waiting for the inevitable (but hoping for a reprieve).

I don't want Damon under any circumstances but it appears as if the stars are aligning for George to swoop in and stick us with him for the next five years.

JeffWeaverFan
12-15-05, 09:23 PM
I don't disagree, but I was referring to next year. I believe the sox would be a better team with Damon than without. I think, however, the long term impact would depend on other factors. Like the teams overall financial flexibility and the availibility of better players. Both the Sox and the Yankees could bury a poor signing in the long term as long as a more productive player was available to take over when the time comes.
I think the Red Sox would end up trading for Reed and he will be the better player over the next 4 years (not necessarily next year, but at least for the last 3rd and 4th year). Plus, he will be the much cheaper player over the next 4 years so that the Red Sox can use that money in other places.

I am REALLY hoping that Damon re-signs with the Red Sox and the Yankees deal for Reed.

ryanthe13th
12-15-05, 09:49 PM
I feel like a death row inmate waiting for the inevitable (but hoping for a reprieve).

You aren't the only one.

NewEraYanks2527
12-15-05, 11:57 PM
I am REALLY hoping that Damon re-signs with the Red Sox and the Yankees deal for Reed.
As am I. If he goes to the Sox I have to trade him away in MVP :mad: But seriously I want Reed in CF and thats all there is to it. I dont want Damon, I dont want Jason Michaels (I want him in RF) I want Jeremy Reed in CF.

laststop3641
12-16-05, 12:22 AM
CBS4's Dan Roche spoke tonight to Johnny Damon, who indicated that the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers were the three teams chasing him.
Damon said he hasn't heard from the Red Sox since the four-year, $40 million offer proposed 10 days ago. "There's a good chance," replied Damon when asked his about his chances of leaving Boston. "We're still talking. I should know in the next couple of days." Dec. 16 - 12:08 am et
Source: CBS4 Boston

Stryder2929
12-16-05, 12:23 AM
saw this on rotoworld just now:

CBS4's Dan Roche spoke tonight to Johnny Damon, who indicated that the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers were the three teams chasing him.
Damon said he hasn't heard from the Red Sox since the four-year, $40 million offer proposed 10 days ago. "There's a good chance," replied Damon when asked his about his chances of leaving Boston. "We're still talking. I should know in the next couple of days." Dec. 16 - 12:08 am et

laststop3641
12-16-05, 12:25 AM
saw this on rotoworld just now:

really??

MassNYYfan
12-16-05, 12:28 AM
Cashman better get a deal for Reed agreed to quick, cuz after Damon goes to LA he'll lose that leg in his trade negotiations. :)

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 12:31 AM
As am I. If he goes to the Sox I have to trade him away in MVP :mad: But seriously I want Reed in CF and thats all there is to it. I dont want Damon, I dont want Jason Michaels (I want him in RF) I want Jeremy Reed in CF.

This is the combo I would like. Reed in center and Michaels in RF would be a huge upgrade defensively. Now that the Phillies lost out on Looper maybe they will bite on Sturtze.

ryanthe13th
12-16-05, 01:33 AM
I don't trust a word Damon says at this point. He said during or before the winter meetings that he would know where he was in 10 Days. 10 Days have passed since he said that, and we're still guessing where he is going to go.

JeffWeaverFan
12-16-05, 02:25 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks1216,0,4710846.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Damon told Newsday last week of his deep interest in becoming the Yankees' centerfielder, and Thursday his friend and former Red Sox teammate, Mike Myers, reiterated those sentiments.

Myers, speaking on a conference call to announce his two-year, $2.4-million deal, said he spoke with Damon recently and said he is "definitely interested" in the Yankees.

"I've talked to him and he does have a strong interest in playing there," Myers said. "So hopefully, contract-wise, everything will get worked out."

Although the Yankees and agent Scott Boras are at a standstill -- the Yankees are ready to offer a four-year contract but Boras won't begin talks until they go to five -- many team officials would like to see Damon in centerfield for the Yankees in 2006.

:barf: :barf:

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 02:30 AM
Just something I want to throw out here....and just keep in mind I'm not advocating signing Damon, DEFINETLY not for more then 3 or 4 years...and even then I dont know if I'd want him. But I wanna play Devil's Advocate....

Damon is only 32....so if you give him a 4 or 5 year deal is it really that bad?? Why is everyone assuming he will be finished by the time he is 36-37?? Alot of guys are still pretty damn good players in their mid/late 30's. And as much as I hate Boras, his point about Damon being durable is good. This a guy who has never been hurt really. Bernie was ALWAYS on the DL, always battling various injuries...even in his prime. So to see Bernie decline at 34-35 isnt surprising and makes sense.

But why should we assume Damon will decline at that same age....especially when he is healthy, shows no signs of declining, and since players are still very good at older ages??

harkode2002
12-16-05, 02:44 AM
Just watched the 11pm news out here on the west coast. The Dodgers appear to be the leaders in the Damon sweepstakes right now and the reporter said that Damon could declare for the Dodgers on Friday.

That helps the Yankees just getting him out of Boston, especially if Boston has to trade pitching to obtain another centerfielder.

JeffWeaverFan
12-16-05, 02:52 AM
Damon is only 32....so if you give him a 4 or 5 year deal is it really that bad?? Why is everyone assuming he will be finished by the time he is 36-37?? Alot of guys are still pretty damn good players in their mid/late 30's. And as much as I hate Boras, his point about Damon being durable is good. This a guy who has never been hurt really. Bernie was ALWAYS on the DL, always battling various injuries...even in his prime. So to see Bernie decline at 34-35 isnt surprising and makes sense.

But why should we assume Damon will decline at that same age....especially when he is healthy, shows no signs of declining, and since players are still very good at older ages??
Firstly, I thought he declined at the end of this seaon. He had some nagging injuries and his defense has been declining every season for the past five. Yes, a lot of guys are still very good players in their mid to late 30's, but that doesn't mean Damon will. Brian Giles is a guy that is a good player and most likely will continue to be for the next 3 seasons. But Damon and Giles are very different players. Giles best quality is his eye and walks and OBP. That doesn't decline with age. Damon's best quality is his speed and line drive hitting because of that quick bat. That does decline with age. Also, I think that a lot of people continued to be good in their mid 30's because of steroids. My guess is that now we will see less guys that are so productive in their later ages.

Your comparison to Bernie with his injuries before we signed him to a long term deal is somewhat legit. The two seasons before he signed the deal I remember he had two straight seasons where he only played 129 and 128 games respectively - which isn't all that bad. But, after he signed that deal he played in at least 140 games for 4 straight seasons from the ages of 30 to 33. At 34 he only played in 119 games and then played in over 140 again. Anyways, the point I wanted to make was that if we are going to compare the two, then it should also be noted that Bernie was a MUCH better player than Damon ever was and is now. It's not close. So, signing Bernie until he was 36 - getting 4 fantastic seasons out of him and 2 average ones, is much better than signing Damon until he is 36.

So, I do expect him to decline starting at the ages of about 34 and he's not all that great to begin with.

JeffWeaverFan
12-16-05, 02:53 AM
That helps the Yankees just getting him out of Boston, especially if Boston has to trade pitching to obtain another centerfielder.
Not if they are trading for Jeremy Reed (whose defense over Damon's will upgrade their pitching staff). I still maintain that the best thing for the Yankees is for the Red Sox to sign Damon to a 5 year deal.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:00 AM
I wished Cashman had more interest in Reed....cuz it definetly seems like he doesnt have much at all

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:01 AM
ORIOLES JUMP IN ON DAMON

http://www.nypost.com/sports/58861.htm

What appeared to be a three-team race for Johnny Damon's services has another entry.
The Orioles have joined the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers in the hunt for the 32-year-old leadoff hitter/center fielder. While the Orioles haven't offered Damon a six-year deal, which was rumored yesterday, they are in play.

"We haven't made an offer yet," Birds GM Jim Duquette said. "But we have interest, no question about it."

Damon might just get his SEVEN year deal.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:02 AM
ORIOLES JUMP IN ON DAMON

Damon might just get his SEVEN year deal.

the Orioles may seriously be the worse MLB franchise right now

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:05 AM
the Orioles may seriously be the worse MLB franchise right now

I honestly think they might offer him the 7 he wants, and to be honest with you I think that would be fabulous. However, what that would do it would drive up the price for Reed which I think the Red Sox would win because they seem to like him more than Cash does.

JeffWeaverFan
12-16-05, 03:08 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to hate our CF situation next year. I have a bad feeling it will either be Damon for 5 or 6 years or Bubba/Bernie - which is a disaster. Both are disasters...

There are options here. Pavano for a CFer works. How about Juan Encarnacion? How about Jacque Jones? Something has got to be done here and it can't be Damon or Bubba/Bernie.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:08 AM
I honestly think they might offer him the 7 he wants, and to be honest with you I think that would be fabulous. However, what that would do it would drive up the price for Reed which I think the Red Sox would win because they seem to like him more than Cash does.

if the O's are dumb enough to give him seven....then by all means go there. Have fun finishing in last place Johnny.

I really dont understand why Cash doesnt seem very high on Reed....unless he is, and is trying to hide it. I dont know.....if the Pavano-Reed rumor was legit...I'm kinda upset we didnt make the deal.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:09 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to hate our CF situation next year. I have a bad feeling it will either be Damon for 5 or 6 years or Bubba/Bernie - which is a disaster. Both are disasters...

There are options here. Pavano for a CFer works. How about Juan Encarnacion? How about Jacque Jones? Something has got to be done here and it can't be Damon or Bubba/Bernie.

the thought of a Bubba/Bernie encore in CF gives me the hives....how can this team expect to win a ring with a black hole in CF like that??

IncredibleByNature
12-16-05, 03:16 AM
Does Cash have anything to gain by pretending to lack interest in Reed?

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:20 AM
if the O's are dumb enough to give him seven....then by all means go there. Have fun finishing in last place Johnny.

I really dont understand why Cash doesnt seem very high on Reed....unless he is, and is trying to hide it. I dont know.....if the Pavano-Reed rumor was legit...I'm kinda upset we didnt make the deal.

OK this needs to be said I have a fantastic idea if someone in the Yankee brass reads this please send this over to Ca$hman, I will boldface the important words.

Let Johnny Damon sign with the O's

Then, inquire about Luis Matos who would lose his job to Johnny Damon

Then offer Jaret Wright to the O's to be reunited with Leo Mazzone, the O's need pitching and at that point Matos will be a spare part.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:23 AM

I wouldnt think so....which leads me to believe that he just isnt interested him. And I really dont understand why he isnt interested.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:24 AM
OK this needs to be said I have a fantastic idea if someone in the Yankee brass reads this please send this over to Ca$hman, I will boldface the important words.

Let Johnny Damon sign with the O's

Then, inquire about Luis Matos who would lose his job to Johnny Damon

Then offer Jaret Wright to the O's to be reunited with Leo Mazzone, the O's need pitching and at that point Matos will be a spare part.

Wright for Matos?? I would do it

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:24 AM

Do you think it is something the O's might bite on? It seems to make sense for both teams.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:27 AM
Do you think it is something the O's might bite on? It seems to make sense for both teams.

if the O's are dumb enough to give Damon 7 years...then its certainly possible :lol:

seriously...it makes sense if they sign Damon. Matos is expendable...and maybe Mazzone feels he could return Wright to his 2004 form.

longtimeyankeefan
12-16-05, 03:32 AM

Brian Cashman - "I really like Jeremy Reed and think he would be a great CFer for the New York Yankees"

Bill Bavasi - (Laughing all the way to the bank) "God, I love Brian Cashman"

Any GM, not just Cashman, that publicly communicates a strong desire for a particular player is going to see that player's price tag escalate - and possibly dramatically.

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:35 AM
Talks accelerate with Sox for Reed

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2002686582_mari16.html

While the Mariners are in pursuit of Jarrod Washburn, Kevin Millwood and Scott Elarton, with an emphasis on Washburn, their efforts on Sidney Ponson are thought to be stalled at this time.

Meanwhile, they are running a parallel bid to acquire a starting pitcher in trade with Boston, which called to offer right-hander Matt Clement for Mariners center fielder Jeremy Reed. Sources say those discussions have accelerated.

According to multiple sources, Seattle is believed to have countered the Red Sox's offer of Clement with a request for right-hander Bronson Arroyo.

One East Coast source suggested a scenario in which Boston might make a deal even if it hasn't reached resolution in efforts to re-sign free agent center fielder Johnny Damon. But that seems unlikely.

this is frustrating.

IncredibleByNature
12-16-05, 03:36 AM
longtimeyankeefan- Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that he could be faking a lack of interest so as to not potentially raise the price for Reed.

I mean, there is just the possibility that he truly just isn't interested in him, but I wonder why...

Also, why is Seattle willing to trade him? Are they that desperate for pitching?

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 03:52 AM
Talks accelerate with Sox for Reed

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2002686582_mari16.html

this is frustrating.

quite frustrating....if the Sox can get him for Clement or Arroyo....then we should have no problem getting him for Pavano.

If the Sox get him....and we later find out that Cash turned down a Reed for Pavano offer....I will be pretty pissed off

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 03:55 AM

Some Matos notes:

He is 27.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

When he's healthy, Matos is a line-drive hitter who generates his power from a quick swing. More times than not, he's a dead pull hitter who doesn't use the entire field enough. His weakness at the plate is swinging at fastballs up in the strike zone and low-and-outside breaking balls. While Matos hits righthanders, he struggles against southpaws when they paint the outside corner. He has above-average speed that garners steals, but he doesn't study pitchers enough to improve his technique and success rate. Defensively, Matos covers a lot of ground, especially in the gaps, and throws accurately.

longtimeyankeefan
12-16-05, 03:59 AM
longtimeyankeefan- Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that he could be faking a lack of interest so as to not potentially raise the price for Reed.

I mean, there is just the possibility that he truly just isn't interested in him, but I wonder why...

Also, why is Seattle willing to trade him? Are they that desperate for pitching?

Well, considering that Gil Meche is listed as the #1 starter on their depth chart and he is likely going to be DFA'd rather than going to arbitration, I would say yes, they are desperate for pitching.

As far as why trade Reed, I assume they have someone in the wings prepared to take his place. Maybe they are planning on moving Ichiro to CF and playing Shin-Soo Choo in RF in an attempt to increase Pacific Rim presence.

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 05:01 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/16/damon_is_not_on_las_list/

Damon is not on LA's list

Johnny Damon told Channel 4's Dan Roche last night he had spent the day on the West Coast, but if he was hinting that he'd met with the Dodgers, it didn't happen, according to a National League source.

And while new Dodgers manager Grady Little said he made a phone call to Damon, the Dodgers have much greater interest in Damon's former Sox teammate, Nomar Garciaparra, the source said, and are not involved in negotiations for the Red Sox center fielder and aren't likely to enter the bidding.

Damon, speaking by cellphone to Roche, said while returning to the Red Sox remained his first choice, there was a ''good chance" he would be leaving the team. Damon said there were three teams in the bidding, and while he did not identify the other teams besides the Red Sox, he told Roche there was a chance he could be reunited with Garciaparra on either the Yankees or Dodgers.

''We're still talking," Damon said in the interview. ''I should know in the next couple of days."

But as of last night, the Sox have made the only known offer to Damon. That was back in Dallas during the winter meetings, when CEO Larry Lucchino presented Damon's agent, Scott Boras, with a four-year, $40 million offer, well below the seven-year, $84 million deal Boras is believed to be seeking. Although Lucchino has maintained the Sox and Boras have continued regular contact, one Red Sox source indicated last night that Boras has yet to respond to the club's offer.

The Yankees reportedly have interest in Damon -- manager Joe Torre revealed this week he called Damon -- but general manager Brian Cashman has maintained publicly the team is prepared to begin next season with Bubba Crosby in center field.

The Sox continue to work on contingency plans, with the team source indicating talks with the Mariners for center fielder Jeremy Reed have intensified. The Sox have proposed trading Matt Clement for Reed; the Mariners have asked for Bronson Arroyo. The Sox have also talked with the Cleveland Indians about switch-hitting outfielder Coco Crisp; the Indians also would like Arroyo.

Arroyo for Crisp would be a coup for Boston.

flymick24
12-16-05, 05:56 AM
O'S SOAR INTO RACE FOR DAMON

The Orioles have joined the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers in the hunt for the 32-year-old leadoff hitter/center fielder. While the Orioles haven't offered Damon a six-year deal, which was rumored yesterday, they are in play.

"We haven't made an offer yet," Birds GM Jim Duquette said. "But we have interest, no question about it."

NYDCYankee
12-16-05, 05:59 AM

Check post #840 ;) .

And then ready my Matos plan.

ring403
12-16-05, 08:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/sports/baseball/16yanks.html?adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1134738299-OuPgZWiTiW/pMfL3gWuRaA

Boras typically leaves his clients on the market longer than most agents, waiting for bidding wars as teams scramble to fill their needs. He has told teams that Damon has a six-year contract offer in hand, but it is unclear what team has made it.If this isn't a bluff by Boras, I think the chances of Damon wearing pinstripes are about zero.

conkermaniac
12-16-05, 08:16 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/sports/baseball/16yanks.html?adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1134738299-OuPgZWiTiW/pMfL3gWuRaA
If this isn't a bluff by Boras, I think the chances of Damon wearing pinstripes are about zero.
I'm pretty sure it's a bluff. It's certainly not beyond Boras to outright lie to get a better deal for his clients.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-16-05, 08:17 AM
If this isn't a bluff by Boras, I think the chances of Damon wearing pinstripes are about zero.

Those are the kind of chances I enjoy...

Jensen
12-16-05, 08:43 AM
if i remember correctly Cashman said if the Yankees were to offer Damon a deal it would'nt be any longer than 5 years

ojo
12-16-05, 09:13 AM
if i remember correctly Cashman said if the Yankees were to offer Damon a deal it would'nt be any longer than 5 years

which is two years longer than reasonable...

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:23 AM
Re-sign with Boston Johnny. They love you there. Please go, re-sign, it will be great for you.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 09:25 AM
Re-sign with Boston Johnny. They love you there. Please go, re-sign, it will be great for you.

I think he has every intention to. He just wants to squeeze what he can out of them.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:28 AM
I think he has every intention to. He just wants to squeeze what he can out of them. I hope you are right. I also hope that Cashman is pulling off a deal for Reed, kind of like "look what I'm doing over here guys, hey Johnny I got a deal for ya..." and then with his other hand "oh would you look at that, I just turned Carl Pavano into Jeremy Reed."

wileedog
12-16-05, 09:41 AM
I think he has every intention to. He just wants to squeeze what he can out of them.

My bet is the Sox don't budge from 4/$40. They are being very public with their negotiations for Reed or Crisp for a reason - a message to Johnny that "We have options."

noneckwilliams
12-16-05, 09:42 AM

I hope you don't find this reassuring. 5 years for Damon is a joke. For a team team loaded with bloated long term contracts to turn around and hand out another one...same old same old with the Yankees.

The RS may adjust the $$$ in their offer to Damon upwards - but they will never offer him 5 years. We shouldn't either.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 09:45 AM
My bet is the Sox don't budge from 4/$40. They are being very public with their negotiations for Reed or Crisp for a reason - a message to Johnny that "We have options."

Exactly. I think it's all part of the game on both sides. My guess is Damon would take a year less to remain in Boston but he'll try till his very last breath to get the most out of them. He seems to have an ego and where else would he be an icon but Boston?

yankeebot
12-16-05, 09:46 AM
My bet is the Sox don't budge from 4/$40. They are being very public with their negotiations for Reed or Crisp for a reason - a message to Johnny that "We have options."Yep. With our message being "We have Bubba".

wileedog
12-16-05, 10:05 AM
Exactly. I think it's all part of the game on both sides. My guess is Damon would take a year less to remain in Boston but he'll try till his very last breath to get the most out of them. He seems to have an ego and where else would he be an icon but Boston?

I hope you're right, but quite frankly both Clement and Arroyo (if the Sox want to deal him) are better trade bait than Pavano as far as making a deal. The Sox are in a better position to land Reed or anyone else than we are.

Right now if I had to lay a bet I would say we will wind up with Damon for 5. George's patience, while stellar so far this offseason, is going to run out soon.

Unfortunately.

23and2
12-16-05, 10:05 AM
Getting Damon, at least in the short term, would be an upgrade for the Yanks offensively and defensively over what they had last year. For the Red Sox, they would look to at best replace what they lose if Damon walks. It would put some distance between the Yanks and Red Sox in runs scored. Could mean an easier path to winning the division next year.

wileedog
12-16-05, 10:06 AM
Yep. With our message being "We have Bubba".

:-notfunny

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:09 AM
I hope you're right, but quite frankly both Clement and Arroyo (if the Sox want to deal him) are better trade bait than Pavano as far as making a deal. The Sox are in a better position to land Reed or anyone else than we are.

Well I don't really know if you can make that argument due to the fact that Seattle really wanted Pavano and I don't recall how much interest they had in signing Clement when both were options last year. As far as Arroyo goes well I don't know how highly they hold him in Seattle.

wileedog
12-16-05, 10:11 AM
Well I don't really know if you can make that argument due to the fact that Seattle really wanted Pavano and I don't recall how much interest they had in signing Clement when both were options last year.

They chased Clement too.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:13 AM
They chased Clement too. I know and everyone else on the boards knows that they went hard after Carl and to me if they did go after Clement it didn't seem like they wanted him as much as Carl so do you have a link?

goin for 27
12-16-05, 10:42 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/16/damon_is_not_on_las_list/

Damon is not on LA's list

Arroyo for Crisp would be a coup for Boston.

Huge coup.

I wish the Yanks had something to move to Cleveland for Crisp, he is great. Nice young player. Cheap, very solid both at the plate and in the field.

wileedog
12-16-05, 10:50 AM
I know and everyone else on the boards knows that they went hard after Carl and to me if they did go after Clement it didn't seem like they wanted him as much as Carl so do you have a link?

I'll see if I can dig one up, but regardless Clement is signed cheaper than Pavano and has a better injury history. He would be a more attractive option to me if I were Seattle.

Plus Cash didn't seem to like Seattle's initial offer, for whatever that's worth, whereas it looks like Boston is actively offering Clement.

Martini6196
12-16-05, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't Pavano fit in Cleveland. They need pitching and the Yankees need outfield defense and speedy baserunners who actually can get on base. I'm assuming the Yankees would have to pay some of the contract but after the free agent sigingins this winter Pavano's current contract is a steal.

gold23
12-16-05, 01:13 PM
Getting Damon, at least in the short term, would be an upgrade for the Yanks offensively and defensively over what they had last year. For the Red Sox, they would look to at best replace what they lose if Damon walks. It would put some distance between the Yanks and Red Sox in runs scored. Could mean an easier path to winning the division next year.

If the Sox lose Damon, they are in a little trouble. They'd be in a position of searching for a competent SS and CF. I still don't understand their Renteria deal. In order to make that trade, they should have absolutely had a SS lined up.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 01:15 PM
If the Sox lose Damon, they are in a little trouble. They'd be in a position of searching for a competent SS and CF. I still don't understand their Renteria deal. In order to make that trade, they should have absolutely had a SS lined up. And they did have a SS lined up but he went to Florida in the Beckett deal. I dont understand it either but I think the Sox would land Reed if they lose Damon and that is not a bad deal for them.

ieddyi
12-16-05, 01:19 PM
And they did have a SS lined up but he went to Florida in the Beckett deal. I dont understand it either but I think the Sox would land Reed if they lose Damon and that is not a bad deal for them.

Hanley struggled in the minors last year and shown no indication he was ready for the majors in 2006 or beyond despite the hype

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 01:21 PM
Hanley struggled in the minors last year and shown no indication he was ready for the majors in 2006 or beyond despite the hype And I realize that but the Red Sox did have a top SS prospect lined up, he may have not been ready this year but he was in fact lined up and talked so highly about you'd think the second he were to set foot inFenway he'd be an All-Star.

mrbawm
12-16-05, 05:49 PM
Don't forget that when the Red Sox gave up their SS they got a top 3B prospect. Hopefully they totally screw this up and give up Marte for someone like Lugo and not much else.

YankeePride1967
12-16-05, 10:49 PM

remember the 5/75 deal he "had in hand" for Kevin Millwood a few years back? It's a bluff.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:51 PM
Don't forget that when the Red Sox gave up their SS they got a top 3B prospect. Hopefully they totally screw this up and give up Marte for someone like Lugo and not much else. Marte and Mota might be headed to Cleveland for Crisp if Nomar decides he doesn't want to play for Cleveland. I was reading an article about that deal today that might happen if Nomar does not land in Cleveland.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:59 PM
Marte and Mota might be headed to Cleveland for Crisp if Nomar decides he doesn't want to play for Cleveland. I was reading an article about that deal today that might happen if Nomar does not land in Cleveland.

Wow, that would be stupid. Crisp is cool and all, but their bullpen is in shambles as it is

Prickly Pete
12-16-05, 11:05 PM
Marte and Mota might be headed to Cleveland for Crisp if Nomar decides he doesn't want to play for Cleveland. I was reading an article about that deal today that might happen if Nomar does not land in Cleveland.
Other way around. The Indians were willing to trade Crisp if they got Nomar (that's assuming you believe the article was correct to begin with).

The trade is reportedly partly contingent on the Indians' ability to sign Garciaparra, a free agent, with the purpose of putting the former Red Sox shortstop in right field. The move would make the 26-year-old Crisp expendable...
Link (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-nredsox.1216-20051216-)

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 11:22 PM
Other way around. The Indians were willing to trade Crisp if they got Nomar (that's assuming you believe the article was correct to begin with).

Link (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-nredsox.1216-20051216-)
Whoops that was a misread on my part. My bad.

Stryder2929
12-17-05, 01:59 AM
now its between the yanks and sox... ugh... why couldnt LA take damon and leave nomar to us

ring403
12-17-05, 02:11 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134799625268260.xml&coll=1&thispage=2
But one baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans said there was "nothing going on" with Damon and the Yankees, who do not want to sign him for more than four years.

27IsNext
12-17-05, 02:20 AM
Good. Let's keep it that way.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-17-05, 06:14 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134799625268260.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

THANK GOD

noneckwilliams
12-17-05, 06:57 AM
THANK GOD

Good. Let's keep it that way.

I wouldn't celebrate quite yet based on this article. Seems like a lot of posturing is going on. This is all about Boras trying to weasel that 5th year from the Yankees.

jnewmark
12-17-05, 08:44 AM
"a baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans " " a person familiar with talks " . I always wonder just who these people are? :dunno:

nahzo
12-17-05, 09:10 AM
"a baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans " " a person familiar with talks " . I always wonder just who these people are? :dunno:

People with the presence of mind enough to know they don't want to get a lawsuit.

MiamiKat
12-17-05, 09:26 AM
People with the presence of mind enough to know they don't want to get a lawsuit.
As well as being fired and subsequently blackballed from the business.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-17-05, 09:29 AM
Damon isnt looking that bad for 3 years and an option for a fourth, unless we can get Coco Crisp who the indians seem to be ok to trade or Jason Michaels, we have no options left.

nahzo
12-17-05, 09:36 AM
Damon isnt looking that bad for 3 years and an option for a fourth, unless we can get Coco Crisp who the indians seem to be ok to trade or Jason Michaels, we have no options left.

You say that now. Go three years down the line and ask yourself why you thought paying a 34 year old Johnny Damon $10-12 million dollars a year was a good idea.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-17-05, 09:39 AM
You say that now. Go three years down the line and ask yourself why you thought paying a 34 year old Johnny Damon $10-12 million dollars a year was a good idea.

Well in his last year he would still be better than Crosby and other than coco crisp we have no other options.

Yanks Lifer
12-17-05, 09:48 AM
IMO, the Sox are playing their CF need pretty smart. If the link below is correct, they're actively talking about a Reed for Arroyo swap with Seattle. Almost like they have 2 triggers ready to pull, resign Damon or trade for Reed. Is Bubba really the Yankees second trigger if they don't sign Damon?! I hope Cashman is thinking about something we haven't even considered ala the Justice trade at the deadline way back when.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/252470_mari17.html

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-17-05, 09:50 AM
IMO, the Sox are playing their CF need pretty smart. If the link below is correct, they're actively talking about a Reed for Arroyo swap with Seattle. Almost like they have 2 triggers ready to pull, resign Damon or trade for Reed. Is Bubba really the Yankees second trigger if they don't sign Damon?! I hope Cashman is thinking about something we haven't even considered ala the Justice trade at the deadline way back when.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/252470_mari17.html

There is no way in Hell Arroyo is more attractive than Pavano and cash, no way in ................ing hell. If Arroyo gets traded for anything decent im going to punch the first random person i see on the street in the face.

nahzo
12-17-05, 09:52 AM
Well in his last year he would still be better than Crosby and other than coco crisp we have no other options.

We don't know that. We do know that there will likely be other opportunities that open up as the season(s) go on for OFers.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 09:53 AM
There is no way in Hell Arroyo is more attractive than Pavano and cash, no way in ................ing hell. If Arroyo gets traded for anything decent im going to punch the first random person i see on the street in the face.
The Yankees won't pay enough of Pavano's salary to make him more attractive than Arroyo. I seriously doubt the Yankees are even interested in trading Pavano at all.

Yanks Lifer
12-17-05, 09:55 AM
The Yankees won't pay enough of Pavano's salary to make him more attractive than Arroyo. I seriously doubt the Yankees are even interested in trading Pavano at all.

With a gaping hole in CF, one needs to ask WHY?

Ghost of Thurman
12-17-05, 10:06 AM

Geez, I was about to write the following message; "Why? Because the odds are that Pavano's value will go up, not down with time. The only way his value goes down is if he simply can't pitch next year. Even if Pavano simply reverts to career average numbers (or even a bit worse) he'd be a very attractive trading chip."

Then I made the mistake of actually looking at his career numbers -- YIKES!!

Wow, hindsight is 20/20 but that really looks like a questionable signing. Even Burnett's career numbers look a lot better than Pavano's, and Burnett is a pretty questionable signing himself!

That said I still don't think I'd dump him. While I'd hate to pay Carl $10mm to pitch for us, I certainly don't want to pay him $9mm to pitch for someone else.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 10:10 AM
Because I think the Yankees/Cashman think something better can happen later down the road if they just wait it out. I don't see the Yankees trading a pitcher until late March if then.

goin for 27
12-17-05, 11:44 AM
Geez, I was about to write the following message; "Why? Because the odds are that Pavano's value will go up, not down with time. The only way his value goes down is if he simply can't pitch next year. Even if Pavano simply reverts to career average numbers (or even a bit worse) he'd be a very attractive trading chip."

Then I made the mistake of actually looking at his career numbers -- YIKES!!

Wow, hindsight is 20/20 but that really looks like a questionable signing. Even Burnett's career numbers look a lot better than Pavano's, and Burnett is a pretty questionable signing himself!

That said I still don't think I'd dump him. While I'd hate to pay Carl $10mm to pitch for us, I certainly don't want to pay him $9mm to pitch for someone else.

No way. If Pavano pitches to his career numbers, which is a .500 pitcher, ERA north of 4, and a career ERA+ of exactly 100 (Right on the nose for average pitchers in MLB) he will not be MORE tradeworthy. He has 3 years, $30 Million left. For someone to trade for Pavano, and have the Yankees not seriously subsidize the contract, then he needs to be much better than average.

I would not mind moving Pavano now, because it would be cutting the losses. If Pavano is completely average, he will become like Wright, unmovable.

dabomb2045
12-17-05, 11:50 AM
No way. If Pavano pitches to his career numbers, which is a .500 pitcher, ERA north of 4, and a career ERA+ of exactly 100 (Right on the nose for average pitchers in MLB) he will not be MORE tradeworthy. He has 3 years, $30 Million left. For someone to trade for Pavano, and have the Yankees not seriously subsidize the contract, then he needs to be much better than average.

I would not mind moving Pavano now, because it would be cutting the losses. If Pavano is completely average, he will become like Wright, unmovable.

agreed...the Yanks are better off trading Pavano now, cuz maybe they will be able to get someone with value in return...like Reed.

If the wait, and Pavano has his predictable .500 season with an ERA between 4.50 and 5....then what will we get for him??

yanksphan
12-17-05, 11:59 AM

I know a guy who's knowledgable and familiar with these people. I'll ask him next time I see him.

yanksphan
12-17-05, 12:07 PM

I think you're undervaluing Arroyo a bit. Of the 3 pitchers rumored to be offered for Reed - Arroyo was clearly the better pitcher:

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 455pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="606"><col style="width: 119pt;" width="158"> <col style="width: 48pt;" span="5" width="64"> <col style="width: 48pt;" span="2" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 119pt;" height="17" width="158">Player</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">INN</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">GS</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">W</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">L</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">K</td> <td class="xl23" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">ERA</td> <td class="xl23" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">WHIP</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Arroyo, Bronson SP BOS</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">205.3</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">32</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">14</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">10</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">100</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="4.5149999999999997">4.52</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="">1.30</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Clement, Matt SP BOS</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">191</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">32</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">13</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">6</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">146</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="4.5709999999999997">4.57</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="1.361">1.36</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">Pavano, Carl SP NYY</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">100</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">17</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">4</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">6</td> <td class="xl22" x:num="">56</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="">4.77</td> <td class="xl23" x:num="">1.47</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Couple those stats with his $1.85 mil salary (compared to the $10mil Clement and Pavano get) and his ability to effectively pitch out of the pen, and it's pretty clear why the M's are interested in young Brandon.

ring403
12-17-05, 12:47 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers17dec17,1,1969833.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Colletti said the chances of the Dodgers signing free-agent center fielder Johnny Damon were "a longshot," and had no plans to meet with Damon.
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4Mzk5NjMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
The Dodgers, however, may have reached a crossroad with Johnny Damon.

The outfielder was supposed to visit Los Angeles this week, but abruptly canceled his plans and returned home to Orlando, Fla., on Friday. The Red Sox and Yankees, in that order, remain the two front-runners to sign the free agent center fielder.
It doesn't look like the Dodgers are interested in meeting Damon's price either.

JeffWeaverFan
12-17-05, 12:54 PM
We wouldn't have to pay $9 million to pitch somewhere else. With this pitchers market, if we paid $4 million per season he would be incredibly attractive. I doubt we would have to pay that much.

goin for 27
12-17-05, 12:57 PM
We wouldn't have to pay $9 million to pitch somewhere else. With this pitchers market, if we paid $4 million per season he would be incredibly attractive. I doubt we would have to pay that much.

I think you are closer for sure. The market is strong enough, and no one is left, so maybe $4M, maybe $5M, definitely no more than that. However, if he does not have a good first half, the Yanks will not be able to move him without serious subsidy. If he is on the block at all, they should pull the trigger now.

ComeBackShane47
12-17-05, 01:13 PM
If he is on the block at all, they should pull the trigger now.

You are right about that. His low strike out rate doesn't translate very well in the AL, especially since he didn't get nearly as many groundballs last year asin previous years. Pavano is a solid pitcher, I just don't think that he can succeed in the AL. It seems to me that the Yankees aren't very high on Reed, and there don't seem to be many or any other suitors at the moment. I also happen to think that Cashman has little confidence in Small and Wright, and is waiting until spring training to see what he has before he trades away a starter. If Small was just a flash in the pan, then there is a spot open in the pen, which Wright may go into, or if Wright doesn't look good, they will need Pavano as the 5th starter.

Personally, as the places where Damon could go dwindle, it appears that the Yanks may be able to get him to commit to 3 or 4 years, which by the time that is up, Jackson or Henry should be ready. Which would be a pretty solid move, so long as the Yanks dont go any more than 4 years.

ring403
12-17-05, 01:19 PM
Personally, as the places where Damon could go dwindle, it appears that the Yanks may be able to get him to commit to 3 or 4 years, which by the time that is up, Jackson or Henry should be ready. Which would be a pretty solid move, so long as the Yanks dont go any more than 4 years.Boston has a 4 year/$40 million offer on the table for Damon, so the Yankees would have to top that offer, probably by a significant amount, in order to land him.

TommyK8
12-17-05, 01:33 PM
Boston has a 4 year/$40 million offer on the table for Damon, so the Yankees would have to top that offer, probably by a significant amount, in order to land him.
The Red Sox have a 4 year offer on the table for Damon, and are actively pursuing Reed or Crisp to fill the void if Damon leaves. If the Yankees truly want Damon, they should hope that Boston acquires Reed or Crisp, as I think they would let Johnny go if they get one of these 2 to play centerfield.

Damon is the catalyst of the Red Sox offense and he's an excellent leadoff man. But any team who gives him more than 4 years is drinking the Scott Boras Kool-Aid. The Red Sox won't do it, and I will be surprised if anyone else does either. I think Damon is still very good right now, but the 4th and 5th years of that contract could get ugly for any team fool enough to give him that contract.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 01:45 PM
I hope that acquiring Villone means Sturtze is expendable for Michaels, although every time I hear Torre talk about Sturtze, all he does is praise him, and say how he is such a huge part of the bullpen. Hopefully, Cashman sees that he can be replaced, and a guy like Michaels would be a good fit for us in CF.

And I also hope that "source" is right, and the Yankees aren't seriously interested in Damon. To be honest, I can't see Cashman wanting him for that price.

Yankeeah
12-17-05, 01:47 PM
To be honest, I can't see Cashman wanting him for that price.

I can't see anyone wanting to sign him for more than 4 years.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 01:50 PM
I hope that acquiring Villone means Sturtze is expendable for Michaels, although every time I hear Torre talk about Sturtze, all he does is praise him, and say how he is such a huge part of the bullpen. Hopefully, Cashman sees that he can be replaced, and a guy like Michaels would be a good fit for us in CF.

And I also hope that "source" is right, and the Yankees aren't seriously interested in Damon. To be honest, I can't see Cashman wanting him for that price.
I don't see Sturtze going anywhere until the Yankees sign another RH reliever. Furthermore, I don't see the Yankees trading any pitchers until late March.

Spiker101
12-17-05, 02:05 PM
I don't see Sturtze going anywhere until the Yankees sign another RH reliever. Furthermore, I don't see the Yankees trading any pitchers until late March.

I think you're exactly right on both counts, especially the later point. If the Yanks are lucky, Wright and Pavano have healthy productive springs and trade values could through the roof, especially if Cash is willing to send cash.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 02:05 PM

If a deal like Sturtze and Henn for Michaels comes along, then Cashman would have to jump all over it.

ring403
12-17-05, 02:10 PM
The Red Sox have a 4 year offer on the table for Damon, and are actively pursuing Reed or Crisp to fill the void if Damon leaves. If the Yankees truly want Damon, they should hope that Boston acquires Reed or Crisp, as I think they would let Johnny go if they get one of these 2 to play centerfield.
I agree. The only way I see Damon going to the Yankees is if the Sox are out of the picture.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 02:14 PM
If a deal like Sturtze and Henn for Michaels comes along, then Cashman would have to jump all over it.
I wouldn't jump on it now.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't jump on it.

I'm glad you're not the GM, then. :)

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 02:16 PM
I'm glad you're not the GM, then. :)
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-17-05, 02:20 PM
Michaels is a good defensive centerfielder with a close to .400 obp, If we can get him for only a crappy reliever like Sturtze than that would be great.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 02:22 PM
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

I'm sure Cashman would agree to trading a poor relief pitcher and a solid prospect for a good defensive CFer who could give us .290 / .380 / .440.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 02:23 PM
I'm sure Cashman would agree to trading a poor relief pitcher and a solid prospect for a good defensive CFer who could give us .290 / .380 / .440.
Wow, you can read Cashman's mind too.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 02:27 PM
Wow, you can read Cashman's mind too.

No, but I have a hunch he'd want to improve his team. But I'm probably wrong. Improvement is silly.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 02:35 PM
No, but I have a hunch he'd want to improve his team. But I'm probably wrong. Improvement is silly.
Just because I disagree with you about the trade value for Michaels, there's no need to get your shorts in a bunch. In time, we'll see one way or another which direction the trade or free agent winds blow for the remainder of the Yankee roster.

AMYanks
12-17-05, 02:37 PM
Just because I disagree with you about the trade value for Michaels, there's no need to get your shorts in a bunch. In time, we'll see one way or another which direction the trade or free agent winds blow for the remainder of the Yankee roster.

I'm not. I even put a smiley face at the end of my first comment, just so you would know the comment was a joke. You were the one who responded (twice) as if you were the one with your shorts in a bunch.

Zimmers' Helmet
12-18-05, 07:14 PM
Boston has a 4 year/$40 million offer on the table for Damon, so the Yankees would have to top that offer, probably by a significant amount, in order to land him.

I'm not claiming to know this for a fact; but I truly believe that the longer that this plays out, the more that the odds increase of George getting personally involved and offering Damon at least 4 years/$48 million.

Tifoso
12-18-05, 07:22 PM
I'm not claiming to know this for a fact; but I truly believe that the longer that this plays out, the more that the odds increase of George getting personally involved and offering Damon at least 4 years/$48 million.

Particularly if we don't make a "big splash" elsewhere.

Look, is Damon perfect? No.
Is he the best FA left? Yup. And a darn good LO guy. We sign him, we can concentrate on 1 or 2 more relievers and a good utility guy. Which makes this team awesome, at least on paper. ;)

AJW
12-18-05, 07:51 PM
Particularly if we don't make a "big splash" elsewhere.

Look, is Damon perfect? No.
Is he the best FA left? Yup. And a darn good LO guy. We sign him, we can concentrate on 1 or 2 more relievers and a good utility guy. Which makes this team awesome, at least on paper. ;)

I agree. I know some of the reasons why people don't want Damon here. I always liked the guy when he was with KC and Oakland. I wanted the Yanks to get him and place him in LF when he was a FA either with KC and Oakland. Yes, he is 32 now and he does not have the strongest arm but I had seen him make some great diving catches last year. Some against us. I have a feeling Steinbrenner will get involved regarding Damon as someone else had stated. He has stayed quiet too long and will do his best to lure Damon to the Yanks. It will be a bidding war against Boston. I know everyone knows that is going to happen but I figured I would post that for the individuals that are not up to snuff on the trade talk and FA market.

RIYankeeFan
12-18-05, 07:59 PM
Ok, I don't know how this sounds... (Sorry if it's been brought up), but lets just say:

Yankees wait it out with Damon, and eventually sign him for 3 or 4 years. After we sign Damon, we put together a nice package for Reed, Michaels, Chavez, Mathews Jr, whoever. We still keep Crosby.

We move Sheff out of RF, he becomes the DH. Ocassionally plays the field to let Phillips at 1B, and Giambi to DH. Damon has a weak throwing arm, but RF is much smaller than CF. Can Damon play a corner? Sure he's not a power bat, but he's a great lead off hitter, he can steal, and we've all seen his steady offense. Our newly acquired CF obviously plays CF. Bubba becomes PR/4th OF.

Doesn't matter who bats first or second. Fact is that if you have Damon/Jeter, Jeter/Damon up first, you have two great players who can get on base for the sluggers.

longtimeyankeefan
12-18-05, 08:01 PM
I agree. I know some of the reasons why people don't want Damon here. I always liked the guy when he was with KC and Oakland. I wanted the Yanks to get him and place him in LF when he was a FA either with KC and Oakland. Yes, he is 32 now and he does not have the strongest arm but I had seen him make some great diving catches last year. Some against us. I have a feeling Steinbrenner will get involved regarding Damon as someone else had stated. He has stayed quiet too long and will do his best to lure Damon to the Yanks. It will be a bidding war against Boston. I know everyone knows that is going to happen but I figured I would post that for the individuals that are not up to snuff on the trade talk and FA market.

I have no real problem with the idea of Johnny Damon as a Yankee.

What concerns me is that we do not end up with a contract that will saddle us in future years.

I have suggested that 3 years/$30M is as far as I would like to see us go - although Damon would only be 35 at the end of the contract, my gut tells me he will be on the downside of his career by then.

If we are forced to go 5 years to obtain him, I worry about what his production would be in 2010 with us paying him $12-$15M.

Yankeeah
12-18-05, 08:02 PM

We move Sheff out of RF, he becomes the DH. Ocassionally plays the field to let Phillips at 1B, and Giambi to DH. Damon has a weak throwing arm, but RF is much smaller than CF. Can Damon play a corner? Sure he's not a power bat, but he's a great lead off hitter, he can steal, and we've all seen his steady offense. Our newly acquired CF obviously plays CF. Bubba becomes PR/4th OF.

RF is where you (generally) put your best outfield arm. Damon's isn't good enough for RF. Anytime there was a runner on 1st and a ball between 1st and 2nd he'd get to third no problem. Besides, I'm not too sure if Damon would take a RF job.

Spiker101
12-18-05, 08:03 PM
Ok, I don't know how this sounds... (Sorry if it's been brought up), but lets just say:

Yankees wait it out with Damon, and eventually sign him for 3 or 4 years. After we sign Damon, we put together a nice package for Reed, Michaels, Chavez, Mathews Jr, whoever. We still keep Crosby.

Fine, but how do you propose getting Reed, Michaels, whoever, without giving up one or two of the Yanks precious few trading chips?

Tifoso
12-18-05, 08:04 PM

Yup. And if he has a rubber arm but great O---he mirrors are current CFer....about 5 years ago (no dis to BW intended--one of my fav players ever)

goin for 27
12-18-05, 08:05 PM

I think that if we could put together a nice package for Reed, Micheaels, etc, they may have done it by now. We don't have much to trade.

Also, if we were to sign Damon, and deal for a Reed, Michaels type as well, I see no logic in then keeping Crosby. He would never get in a game.

RIYankeeFan
12-18-05, 08:07 PM
That's something for Cashman to work out. Everyone wants Womack for Pujols type trades. Or Proctor/Sturtze/Phillips for Bonds or something crazy. Yankees will have to get creative.

Tifoso
12-18-05, 08:09 PM
That's something for Cashman to work out. Everyone wants Womack for Pujols type trades. Or Proctor/Sturtze/Phillips for Bonds or something crazy. Yankees will have to get creative.

ABB :(

Yankeeah
12-18-05, 08:09 PM

Womacks already been traded.

What did you plan to offer in order to get Reed/Michaels/Matthews?

aeromac76
12-18-05, 08:13 PM
I do agree with the sentiment that George will eventually get involved. The is not a single chance our opening day CFer will be Bubba Crosby. I just do not believe that..
The question is what will it take. 4 yrs and 4 million, he'll be 36 by contract's end. I would hope he would still be productive. More than that, and we will have an albatross. I know people are reminded of Bernie'd downfall, but guys like Sheffield and Clemens and Johnson are still having hof seasons well close to their 40's. Bernie's downfall actually began early for modern players. Not so much his defense, which we would have expected to worsen, but I thought he would have still been able to be an offensive force. Maybe not the .330 Bernie but a .290-.300 hitter with some pop. He was not even that.
I would think Damon will be a defensive liability in 3 or 4 years, but he will likely still be a top notch top of the order guy for the length of a 4 year deal..

RIYankeeFan
12-18-05, 08:16 PM
Womacks already been traded.

What did you plan to offer in order to get Reed/Michaels/Matthews?

I know Womack has been traded. I was using him as an example to the pipe dream trades.

longtimeyankeefan
12-18-05, 08:23 PM
I know Womack has been traded. I was using him as an example to the pipe dream trades.

No, no, no - the epitome of pipe dream trades is Crosby for Pujols (plus cash from the Cardinals to help pay the contract)

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 09:29 PM

I am not in favor of signing Damon, but if we do, I'd rather overpay with the annual dollars than go a 5th year.

ComeBackShane47
12-18-05, 09:37 PM
I am not in favor of signing Damon, but if we do, I'd rather overpay with the annual dollars than go a 5th year.

Absolutely. I mean it's not our money, but it seems to me that I would rather give Johnny Damon $40 mil over 3 years as opposed to $44 over 4. And Unless he is willing to take less than $40 mil for five years (which of course he wouldn't) then it is stupid to go over four, when we can all agree that 3 is probably the number of years he will remain at this level. Also, lets not forget we have two young guys (Jackson and Henry) who could be ready in 3-4 years for CF.

mjdlight
12-18-05, 10:40 PM
No, no, no - the epitome of pipe dream trades is Crosby for Pujols (plus cash from the Cardinals to help pay the contract)

I think even if Cashman was holding a gun up to Jocketty's head, he wouldn't make that deal.

Cashman: Five seconds. Pujols and cash for Crosby or your LIFE!

Jocketty: I shall retain the better part of honor and valor, sir. Pull the trigger.

As for Damon, no need to scratch your head too much. Here's the question: Are we going all out for the Series next year, or not? Frankly, I'm not sure if we should go all out for the Series with our pitching staff so full of injury risk. But of course, Mo isn't getting any younger. And as long as we have Mo, you almost have to go for it. And if you want to go for it, then you have to at least consider making a pitch for Damon.

Its not an easy decision to make. I'm glad I'm not Cashman at times like these.

jonnyc39
12-19-05, 12:39 AM
A friend in Boston just relayed this to me:

On the show "Sports Final" on channel 4 in Boston, Steve DeOssie (no clue who he is) reported that Damon is going to the Yankees for 5/50+.

Take that FWIW.

NDBoston
12-19-05, 12:41 AM

On the show "Sports Final" on channel 4 in Boston, Steve DeOssie (no clue who he is) reported that Damon is going to the Yankees for 5/50+.

Take that FWIW.

DeOssie played for the Giants in the NFL. Besides being an idiot he's also a tool. :lol:

My brother called me with the same info. 5 years/53 million. I really think it's a bit lower in credibilty than a George King written article though. ;)

Kulish29
12-19-05, 12:42 AM

Take that FWIW.

I dont think so. With the way Bernie declined, I doubt the Yankees would want to go down that road again. That and the fact that the Yankees have said they will not budge from 4 years.

ryanthe13th
12-19-05, 12:45 AM

Take that FWIW.

In the words of Darth Vader:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-19-05, 12:45 AM

Take that FWIW.

Steve DeOssie? WTF, he was a former linebacker for the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots and he was known as "the beachball" because his face was round and multi colored (he would turn bright red when he would try to run). Kinda dubious "inside" information from a guy who is supposed to be an NFL analyst.

nyyanksfan20
12-19-05, 12:55 AM
5 years? Damn if true that would suck, im not that surprised though. After losing out on Nomar, George had to do something big.

MassNYYfan
12-19-05, 01:08 AM
Don't you guys remember this old thing? :P

Johnny Damon-CF: Damon, represented by Scott Boras, will turn 32 in November. Still, he is seeking five- or six-year deal with an annual salary between 8-10M. Considered the best leadoff hitter in baseball, he is believed to have already decided on a handful of teams he would be willing to play for. However, he has said that he would like finish his career in BOS and does not want to play for NYY. But, the Yankees have the greatest need for Damon and could give him a very lucrative deal to lure him to the Big Apple. He may also contemplating retiring after this season. "That's definitely a possibility," Damon said. "I'm young, but I've accomplished what I wanted in this game. I'd like to accomplish more titles and more great seasons, but the ultimate goal (the World Series title), I've accomplished."
Prediction: Signs with the Yankees for 6-years, 60M

http://www.mlb4u.com/top50.html

:o

RIYankeeFan
12-19-05, 01:19 AM
At this point, who knows where he is going.

But my gut tells me the outfield will be Matsui/Damon/Crosby? or Matsui/Crosby?/Damon. ? is a wildcard for an upgraded player.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-19-05, 02:40 AM
No Damon please...

Stryder2929
12-19-05, 02:58 AM
ive also heard of this radio report.. idunno, if it happens it happens
i wont hate damon, its not his fault we signed him, ill welcome him like i do every new free agent.. iguess although itll be very weird for a while

at least we know he can handle pressure

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:04 AM
ive also heard of this radio report.. idunno, if it happens it happens
i wont hate damon, its not his fault we signed him, ill welcome him like i do every new free agent.. iguess although itll be very weird for a while

at least we know he can handle pressure

Agreed.

And there are two brightsides to this.

We would be better off than we were last year in CF.

And the Red Sox will be worse off and now have 3 huge holes in their starting 9.

Mark19
12-19-05, 03:07 AM
Agreed.

And there are two brightsides to this.

We would be better off than we were last year in CF.

And the Red Sox will be worse off and now have 3 huge holes in their starting 9.

Nope, the Red Sox will then deal Arroyo and Mota for Crisp, thus getting a younger, cheaper, better CF than Damon and they can plug the pitching holes by either signing Millwood or by using their rich farm system.

No one really wants Damon, it is a race to the bottom with him, whichever team is going to blink first and admit that they will be better off without him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-19-05, 03:08 AM
Nope, the Red Sox will then deal Arroyo and Mota for Crisp, thus getting a younger, cheaper, better CF than Damon and they can plug the pitching holes by either signing Millwood or by using their rich farm system.

No one really wants Damon, it is a race to the bottom with him, whichever team is going to blink first and admit that they will be better off without him.

From all reports I have Crisp is not going anywhere. Mota and Arroyo certainly aren't going to do it either...

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:10 AM

???? Are you sure about this?

Oh I do agree no one really wants Damon.

And I will believe Cleveland will trade Crisp when it actually happens.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:10 AM
From all reports I have Crisp is not going anywhere. Mota and Arroyo certainly aren't going to do it either...

Agreed. Arroyo for Reed is much more feasible.

Bodu713
12-19-05, 03:12 AM
To give Damon five years is crazy. CRAZY! I think this thing is going to drag out until after the New Year, I'd be shocked if he signs before then. Why wouldn't both teams hold off, seeing as they're the only two in on the bidding. I think which ever team finds another option first, the other will sign Damon for a lot less than five years if he holds out and I don't see Boras giving in too soon.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:16 AM
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=117280&format=&page=2

Hope this answers some questions.

According to sources, the Sox annd Cleveland have not had substantive talks about a deal for outfielder Coco Crisp for several weeks, though that could change depending on Damon.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:28 AM
Another source:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/252546_mari19.html

Meanwhile, news that the Boston Red Sox are unlikely to be able to land outfielder Coco Crisp from Cleveland in a trade means that the Red Sox are more likely to press Seattle for center fielder Jeremy Reed. In both cases, Boston is offering either of two starting pitchers, Matt Clement or Bronson Arroyo.

With the Red Sox without a center fielder while Johnny Damon tests free agency, Reed makes an attractive option. Like Crisp, Reed can play any outfield position and can bat first or second.

Since Clement makes $17 million over the course of the next two seasons and the arbitration-eligible Arroyo made $1.85 million last year, the Mariners, if they make the deal, are likely going to want to go with Arroyo, who at 29 is three years younger than Clement.

jonnyc39
12-19-05, 03:39 AM

You won't see the Sox flip Mota for Crisp.

jonnyc39
12-19-05, 03:41 AM
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=117280&format=&page=2

Hope this answers some questions.
Also from that article:
Talks between the Sox and Indians are believed to have centered on Cleveland wanting one of two pitchers, Matt Clement or Bronson Arroyo. No mention of Marte.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 03:46 AM
Also from that article: No mention of Marte.

JC do you think Crisp is likely for the Sox? Because I can't see the Indians trading him unless they get bowled over with maybe Arroyo, Lester and a lesser prospect.

I think Reed for Arroyo is more likely.

jonnyc39
12-19-05, 04:07 AM
JC do you think Crisp is likely for the Sox? Because I can't see the Indians trading him unless they get bowled over with maybe Arroyo, Lester and a lesser prospect.

Yeah, I agree with you. Cleveland is a well run organization and I don't see them swapping Crisp for Arroyo or Clement alone, that'd be nuts.

I would do Reed for Arroyo and be very happy about it.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I agree with you. Cleveland is a well run organization and I don't see them swapping Crisp for Arroyo or Clement alone, that'd be nuts.

I would do Reed for Arroyo and be very happy about it.

That would still be a nice move.

noneckwilliams
12-19-05, 06:21 AM
To give Damon five years is crazy. CRAZY! I think this thing is going to drag out until after the New Year, I'd be shocked if he signs before then. Why wouldn't both teams hold off, seeing as they're the only two in on the bidding. I think which ever team finds another option first, the other will sign Damon for a lot less than five years if he holds out and I don't see Boras giving in too soon.

The Yankees will break down and give Damon 5 years - thus saddling themselves with another massive, unmovable contract given to a player whose best seasons are behind him.

Merry Christmas. ;)

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 06:35 AM
The Yankees will break down and give Damon 5 years - thus saddling themselves with another massive, unmovable contract given to a player whose best seasons are behind him.

Merry Christmas. ;)

If we didn't do that it would be a Christmas MIRACLE!!!

Spiker101
12-19-05, 06:52 AM

The word was that IF the Indians won the Garciaparra sweepstakes they would play Nomar in the outfield and thus have a surplus outfielder to acquire pitching. Very unlikely now that Crisp is going anywhere.

Spiker101
12-19-05, 06:57 AM

I don't agree. I think Damon will sign soon. The danger for Boras/Damon is that either Boston or New York gets desperate and trades for a Reed or a Michaels and then poof there goes the market for him. I doubt Boras overplays his hand here.

yankeebot
12-19-05, 07:04 AM
I don't agree. I think Damon will sign soon. The danger for Boras/Damon is that either Boston or New York gets desperate and trades for a Reed or a Michaels and then poof there goes the market for him. I doubt Boras overplays his hand here.Yes, but the Mariners and Phillies are not going to be in any hurry to make a deal knowing that once Damon is signed, they will have a stronger position to get more in a trade. Now it is just who blinks first.

Spiker101
12-19-05, 07:50 AM
Yes, but the Mariners and Phillies are not going to be in any hurry to make a deal knowing that once Damon is signed, they will have a stronger position to get more in a trade. Now it is just who blinks first.

Well, assuming both the Ms and Phils want to make a trade, that wouldn't be true. I'm not sure how desperate they are for pitching, but let's assume they are. The minute Damon signs, the Phils and Ms will be competing with each other to entice the loser of the Damon sweepstakes. That leaves both teams at a disadvantage. You sure are right about one thing: this is a helluva game of chicken. We'll see who blinks first. I'm betting its either the Sox and/or Boras. The Sox will really be up against if they lose Damon.

rightfielder21
12-19-05, 07:55 AM
I don't agree.

Spike, do you think giving Damon 5 years is a bad move?

Spiker101
12-19-05, 08:32 AM

It's certainly not ideal. But I really wonder what choice the Yanks have, given the dearth of quality centerfielders and the Yanks' lack of trading chips. Both Jones and Hunter are signed through 07, and while they might be acquired via trade (probably will be in the case of Torii) the cost in prospects will be prohibitive, and I'm not sure if the Yanks have enough even if they were willing to give them up. After that there just isn't much. I don't get why people are so enamored with Reed or Michaels or Mathews or Payton. Reed has no pop and never will, and Michaels appears to be one of those platoon types. The other two just aren't that good. I like Ganderson, a lot, and he could probably be gotten if the Yanks were willing to trade Cano, which I'm not sure isn't the way to go. But Yanks don't seem to be willing to go that route.
I think Yankee fans are a little paranoid because of Bernie Williams. But Damon isn't Bernie. He's never had a history of injuries, which are the root cause of Bernie's precipitious decline.
And Damon also solves a problem that plagued the team's offense for a couple of years, who to hit second. And of course, his loss would devastate the Red Sox. Losing him would put Boston up against it, especially if Manny gets weird.
So yeah, I'd bite the bullet if I had to. But I think ultimately he'll settle for four years if you make the contract rich enough.

jnewmark
12-19-05, 08:39 AM
How about going for a CF who's upside is on the defense side of things ? With the current lineup the Yanks have, why not bite the bullet, sacrifice some offense, and get the best defensive player available ?

Spiker101
12-19-05, 08:44 AM
How about going for a CF who's upside is on the defense side of things ? With the current lineup the Yanks have, why not bite the bullet, sacrifice some offense, and get the best defensive player available ?

Putting aside the question of how important is defense in the overall scheme of things, who is the best defensive centerfielder and how much will it cost to get him? And remember we're looking at replacing a strong-hitter rightfielder after '06 and an offensive catcher the following year.

jnewmark
12-19-05, 08:51 AM
Putting aside the question of how important is defense in the overall scheme of things, who is the best defensive centerfielder and how much will it cost to get him? And remember we're looking at replacing a strong-hitter rightfielder after '06 and an offensive catcher the following year.

I guess it depends on if you are just thinking about next year or 2 years down the road. I'm not a stat guy so I don't know who is the best defensive cf option available,but, if the Yanks do nothing about CF for 2006, is Bubba going to cut it ?

Spiker101
12-19-05, 09:00 AM
I guess it depends on if you are just thinking about next year or 2 years down the road. I'm not a stat guy so I don't know who is the best defensive cf option available,but, if the Yanks do nothing about CF for 2006, is Bubba going to cut it ?

I think Bubba can cut it defensively, but obviously he's not an offensive player. And I'm one of those who believe that it's all about pitching and hitting, that fielding is of relatively minor importance. You don't punt offense. That's why to me it's either Damon or something bold like Ganderson for Cano+, or Crisp and Belliard for Cano and pitching.
And your concern about '07 and beyond is well-taken. If the Yanks go with Bubba next year, that doesn't solve the problem the following year where there will be other holes to plug.

Yanks Lifer
12-19-05, 09:33 AM
It's certainly not ideal. But I really wonder what choice the Yanks have, given the dearth of quality centerfielders and the Yanks' lack of trading chips. Both Jones and Hunter are signed through 07, and while they might be acquired via trade (probably will be in the case of Torii) the cost in prospects will be prohibitive, and I'm not sure if the Yanks have enough even if they were willing to give them up. After that there just isn't much. I don't get why people are so enamored with Reed or Michaels or Mathews or Payton. Reed has no pop and never will, and Michaels appears to be one of those platoon types. The other two just aren't that good. I like Ganderson, a lot, and he could probably be gotten if the Yanks were willing to trade Cano, which I'm not sure isn't the way to go. But Yanks don't seem to be willing to go that route.
I think Yankee fans are a little paranoid because of Bernie Williams. But Damon isn't Bernie. He's never had a history of injuries, which are the root cause of Bernie's precipitious decline.
And Damon also solves a problem that plagued the team's offense for a couple of years, who to hit second. And of course, his loss would devastate the Red Sox. Losing him would put Boston up against it, especially if Manny gets weird.
So yeah, I'd bite the bullet if I had to. But I think ultimately he'll settle for four years if you make the contract rich enough.

I was just about to post something very similar to this and agree with your points. Even after 2006, what long term CF possibilities are aout there? There are more corner OF options which the Yanks will also need assuming Sheff is either gone or moved to the DH role.

In addition to Damon's lack of injury history, he's not the same type of player as Bernie. In his prime, the Yanks counted on Bernie for 25 HRs and 100 RBI per year hitting somewhere between 3rd through 5th in the lineup. I don't think anyone would expect those numbers from Damon, so IMO, his skills of hitting and getting on base should hold up later than Bernie's power skills.

I guess what I'm saying is perhaps a 4 or even 5 year deal for Damon at $10-$11 million per isn't such a bad idea afterall.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-19-05, 09:41 AM
Has there been anything more other than Steve DeOssie's strange scoop about the 5/53 deal that Damon will sign with the Yankees. How is it that a guy who is a marginal NFL analyst would find out something like that and you wouldn't hear it from any other baseball source, either National, or within NY or Boston press? If this had any legs, wouldn't it be all over the place by now?

Dr. Gonzo
12-19-05, 09:51 AM

I think it is a terrible move.

flymick24
12-19-05, 09:52 AM
Has there been anything more other than Steve DeOssie's strange scoop about the 5/53 deal that Damon will sign with the Yankees. How is it that a guy who is a marginal NFL analyst would find out something like that and you wouldn't hear it from any other baseball source, either National, or within NY or Boston press? If this had any legs, wouldn't it be all over the place by now?

which is why we call him an idiot and move on.

there's no way damon would sign anywhere this early... it's not even 2006 yet. boras will play this thing out until february.

ieddyi
12-19-05, 10:02 AM

there's no way damon would sign anywhere this early... it's not even 2006 yet. boras will play this thing out until february.

The sawx deadline to sign him is Jan. 8th I beleive as Damon isn't going to arbitration.

It will have to get done by then

23and2
12-19-05, 10:07 AM
IMO, if Damon goes unsigned into January, he won't get more than a 4-year deal.

ShaneTravis
12-19-05, 10:12 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/19/decisions_due_on_sox_offers/

Free agents Johnny Damon and Tony Graffanino have until today to decide whether to accept arbitration, which was offered by the Red Sox Dec. 7. If either accepts arbitration, he would be considered signed for next season, with his salary to be determined at a hearing or beforehand. If either rejects arbitration, the Sox would have until Jan. 8 to sign him, after which the club wouldn't be able to negotiate with him until May 1.

NYDCYankee
12-19-05, 10:17 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/19/decisions_due_on_sox_offers/

Free agents Johnny Damon and Tony Graffanino have until today to decide whether to accept arbitration, which was offered by the Red Sox Dec. 7. If either accepts arbitration, he would be considered signed for next season, with his salary to be determined at a hearing or beforehand. If either rejects arbitration, the Sox would have until Jan. 8 to sign him, after which the club wouldn't be able to negotiate with him until May 1.

Graff accepted arb.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-19-05, 10:20 AM

I thought I read a while back that Damon wanted to make his decision by Christmas. Personally, I think he goes right up until the January deadline for him to return to Boston.

effdamets
12-19-05, 10:21 AM
I thought I read a while back that Damon wanted to make his decision by Christmas. Personally, I think he goes right up until the January deadline for him to return to Boston.
I think you're right... Right when the Red Sox offer a 5th year....

RhodeyYankee2638
12-19-05, 10:28 AM
IMO, if Damon goes unsigned into January, he won't get more than a 4-year deal.

I agree. Boras isn't fooling anyone when he says theres a team willing to give Damon a 5th year, and other teams knockin down his door

effdamets
12-19-05, 10:34 AM
I agree. Boras isn't fooling anyone when he says theres a team willing to give Damon a 5th year, and other teams knockin down his door
I don't know... I think Boras is sly and slippery enough to make the Red Sox give him a fifth year. I certainly don't think the Yankees will fall for it. They will offer Damon 4 years / 44-46 million (maybe not all guaranteed). But truly, I think the Yankees have their eyes on Hunter or Jones, both of which are free agents after the upcoming season.... (I think they are).

Yanks Lifer
12-19-05, 11:46 AM

I disagree. It seems fairly clear that Damon's two suitors are the Sox and Yanks so he is still in the driver's seat. If say the Sox go out tomorrow and deal for Jeremy Reed for CF having internally resigned themselves to the fact that Damon will not be back, that leaves the Yanks. Then IMO, the Yanks are in the driver's seat. I think it's in Damon's best interest to get the best deal he can from the Sox or Yanks ASAP.