PDA

View Full Version : Prediction time -- who will be the Yanks' starting CF in 2006?

YankeePride1967
11-25-05, 09:23 PM
Okay, who will our starting CF be in 2006?

Sam18
11-25-05, 09:25 PM
Bradley.

(waiting for someone to say Damon in 3...2...1...)

NYYBombshell
Me. I'm 5'2, have no vertical leap to speak of and would look downright hideous in those pinstriped pants, but I'll do it the best I can.

In other words, I have no clue.

YankeePride1967
well this was supposed to be a poll, but I got the "site not responding" thing when I hit submit. The choices were going to be.

A.) Bubba Crosby
B.) Johnny Damon
C.) Jason Michaels
D.) Brian Giles/Matsui combo
E.) someone not named yet.

Sam18
11-25-05, 09:27 PM
Me. I'm 5'2, have no vertical leap to speak of and would look downright hideous in those pinstriped pants, but I'll do it the best I can.

Hey you're already an improvement over last year.

yanksphan
11-25-05, 09:29 PM
http://www.osterhoutgroup.com/clients/logoMb.gif

23and2
11-25-05, 09:30 PM
Matsui (Giles in LF).

jnewmark
11-25-05, 09:31 PM
Just for the hell of it, someone to be named later. In other words, I have'nt a clue.

longtimeyankeefan
11-25-05, 09:35 PM

Well, you are gonna have competition in ST for the job. I'm 5"11", horribly overweight, can't jump or hit and have a herniated disc in my low back that makes running an agony.

But, I'm up for the greatest job in the world - CFer for the NY Yankees.:D

noneckwilliams
11-25-05, 09:39 PM
Juan Pierre.

AMYanks
11-25-05, 09:41 PM
Juan Pierre.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Sam18
11-25-05, 09:44 PM
But, I'm up for the greatest job in the world - CFer for the NY Yankees.

Someone please tell Jeter this.

I kid I kid.

noneckwilliams
11-25-05, 09:49 PM
I just threw up in my mouth.

Not my first choice either but he'd be an upgrade and would not come with a horrible contract. The anti-Pierre sentiment here is a little over the top considering the NYY CF situation. The perfect guy ain't out there and if he was we'd have no shot at him.

If the Yanks were able to add Pierre and Giles to the OF I'd be pretty happy with it.

hellonewman
11-25-05, 09:50 PM
Just for the hell of it, put me down for Brad Wilkerson.

Tifoso
11-25-05, 09:51 PM
Matsui (Giles in LF).

My choices, as well. :)

AMYanks
11-25-05, 09:59 PM
Not my first choice either but he'd be an upgrade and would not come with a horrible contract. The anti-Pierre sentiment here is a little over the top considering the NYY CF situation. The perfect guy ain't out there and if he was we'd have no shot at him.

If the Yanks were able to add Pierre and Giles to the OF I'd be pretty happy with it.

There should be better options out there. For a guy as fast as Pierre, his poor defense is surprising. Also, he has an extremely weak arm. We can find someone better.

Kulish29
11-25-05, 10:18 PM
http://www.osterhoutgroup.com/clients/logoMb.gif

Ah yup.

Dannman103
11-25-05, 10:21 PM
even though i dont like him that much, pierre seems to be the best option, if we can get him for not too much as part of the marlins fire sale. He's not perfect, but hes only got a year left, so if he turns out to be a bust, at least he wont be a long-term one

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-25-05, 10:23 PM
Brad Wilkerson, I think Cash knows what he is doing and if he does than he knows wilkerson is the far and away best choice

Johnny O
11-25-05, 10:34 PM
Considering the insane contract BJ Ryan reportedly agreed to, I would certainly avoid a FA signing. The inflation is insane. I would pursue something cheap & short-term, which would be less than optimal but give the Yanks financial flexibility in future seasons. The in-house Jeter to CF solution would be optimal - ARod moves to SS and then bring in either Randa or Mueller to play 3B.

AMYanks
11-25-05, 10:34 PM
even though i dont like him that much, pierre seems to be the best option, if we can get him for not too much as part of the marlins fire sale. He's not perfect, but hes only got a year left, so if he turns out to be a bust, at least he wont be a long-term one

I will never believe, that in any scenario, Juan Pierre is the best option.

Wilkerson would be a much better option. Even if we have to give up more.

Sam18
11-25-05, 10:43 PM
Even if we have to give up more.

Which we won't because the marlins asked for Wang and Cano for Pierre.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-25-05, 10:45 PM
Considering the insane contract BJ Ryan reportedly agreed to, I would certainly avoid a FA signing. The inflation is insane. I would pursue something cheap & short-term, which would be less than optimal but give the Yanks financial flexibility in future seasons. The in-house Jeter to CF solution would be optimal - ARod moves to SS and then bring in either Randa or Mueller to play 3B.

No matter how perfect it seems, Jeter will never ever play CF and A-rod will likely never play SS(everyday) for the Yankees.

AMYanks
11-25-05, 10:47 PM

IIRC, that was part of a package. Not just for Pierre.

Sam18
11-25-05, 10:50 PM
IIRC, that was part of a package. Not just for Pierre.

I don't have the link but someone posted it in one of the Beckett trade threads, the marlins did ask for both Wang and Cano for Pierre.

AMYanks
11-25-05, 10:59 PM
I don't have the link but someone posted it in one of the Beckett trade threads, the marlins did ask for both Wang and Cano for Pierre.

Well then, I guess they're just stupid.

Captain Yankee
11-25-05, 11:00 PM
Ichiro

Johnny O
11-25-05, 11:04 PM
No matter how perfect it seems, Jeter will never ever play CF and A-rod will likely never play SS(everyday) for the Yankees.

I agree, and it's terribly unfortunate. A one year deal for Randa or Mueller at about $3.5M would leave the yanks in a great position to fill out the rest of the roster and avoid a potentially onerous contract offer to an overrated player like Damon.

Iknowcool
11-25-05, 11:13 PM
Kevin Thompson

Iknowcool
11-25-05, 11:16 PM
The man has all of the speed Pierre has(43 SB in the minors), plus he seems to have a better eye. (.380 OBP last year in the minors). And he hit 14 HR in the minors last year, which I admit looks like a fluke. But I'd still take him at the major league minimum over Pierre at 6 mil.

Steph19
11-25-05, 11:51 PM
If I had to guess at this point...

Milton Bradley.

NYYBombshell
11-25-05, 11:54 PM
Well, you are gonna have competition in ST for the job. I'm 5"11", horribly overweight, can't jump or hit and have a herniated disc in my low back that makes running an agony.

But, I'm up for the greatest job in the world - CFer for the NY Yankees.:D

I've got boobs, so they're going to like me better. Especially when I rock the uniform top.....with the top buttons unbuttoned.

I'll just stand there and wave at people all day.

ANSKYcm
11-26-05, 12:20 AM
BUBBA

DJ27
11-26-05, 12:24 AM
Ichiro

Though this may be the least likely... this is what I would put my money on (and yes, I am a gambling man living 20 minutes from Deadwood).

NelsonMuntz
11-26-05, 12:56 AM
I'm still holding out hope for Wilkerson.

nyg02005
11-26-05, 01:06 AM
at the rate the offseason is going, I hope it is crosby bec. that means we have signed good relief pitchers which we are lacking right now.

Mark19
11-26-05, 01:17 AM
Bubba or Jason Michaels with Preston Wilson as my longshot

Ghost of Thurman
11-26-05, 01:20 AM
Matsui (Brian Giles in left). Lots of defensive replacements

Flatten78
11-26-05, 01:31 AM
I've got boobs, so they're going to like me better. Especially when I rock the uniform top.....with the top buttons unbuttoned.

Im sure the bleachers would be sold out every game!!;) (i really hop thats a winking smiley, i cant tell for some reason)

Dooley Womack
11-26-05, 02:06 AM
Gerald Williams.

Actually, I think Bubba and the Yanks will see what might come up during the year. Maybe SD will look to unload Cameron.

I don't think Giles will be coming here anytime soon.

Jace
11-26-05, 02:10 AM

Its cause Wang and Cano came from the Yankee farm system. Everyone and their mother knows they can't actually be any good. Its just that they don't have big contracts yet so other teams can still afford to trade for them just to demote them to AAA and bitch about Yankee prospects failing time and again.

YankeeStripes
11-26-05, 02:19 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Juan Pierre, even though that seems dead.

hlrjr
11-26-05, 02:24 AM
I'm still hoping for Jeremy Reed.

dabomb2045
11-26-05, 02:35 AM
unfortunately, nobody good....probably Crosby :barf:

this offseason will be a bad one

jbauer2485
11-26-05, 02:49 AM
I think it'll be William H. Taft

WHY?
1. he has such a keen baseball mind
"Saturday's game was a fine one, but several times when a hit meant a run, the batter was ordered to bunt. I believe they should hit it out. I love the game when there is plenty of slugging."

2. He never stops working his body during the offseason
Look at this fine drive
http://www.authentichistory.com/audio/1900s/images/william_h_taft_02.jpg

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-26-05, 02:57 AM
:lol: I agree Taft would be ideal...

Dooley Womack
11-26-05, 03:27 AM

WHY?
"Saturday's game was a fine one, but several times when a hit meant a run, the batter was ordered to bunt. I believe they should hit it out. I love the game when there is plenty of slugging."

Look at this fine drive

:lol: I bet that you've been watching "The Presidents" on the History Channel.

YankeePride1967
11-26-05, 09:01 AM

WHY?

Look at this fine drive

Well he does fill George's big three criterias for a good player:

1.) He's old.
2.) He has a big name
3.) big headlines.

longtimeyankeefan
11-26-05, 09:07 AM

:-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende :-surrende

shroud
11-26-05, 09:17 AM
T.J. Bohn after a trade with the Mariners.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=T.J.%20Bohn&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&did=milb&pid=454533

Of course I may be biased ;)

in2dust2002
11-26-05, 10:54 AM
Johnny Damon..Boras will eventually come off of 7 years since its unrealistic and the Yankees will offer him the most money for 4 years.

Dannman103
11-26-05, 10:56 AM

how can the marlins ask for two top young players for Pierre, when they gave the red sox beckett and lowell and mota for essentially one major league ready player

yankeesrule2000
11-26-05, 10:58 AM
I'm starting to get a really bad feeling that it will be Damon, as all of the other options have dwindled.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-26-05, 11:12 AM
I'm starting to get a really bad feeling that it will be Damon, as all of the other options have dwindled.

What are you talking about? Wilkerson is still available and Milton Bradley will likely be a FA in december I think. Then there is Jacque Jones on the FA market. The Yankees arent stupid anymore, they wont go after old declining superstars and sign them to huge deals.

CaptainThurman
11-26-05, 11:22 AM
Brad Wilkerson is a deal waiting to happen.

The Nationals need a 4th and 5th starter. Well, Aaron Small is affordable and is probably at his all time high in terms of value, but Wright might also fill the bill. Then, to replace the bat at the top of the order, throw in Womack. And for the "Yankee tax" send them a potential 5th starter in DePaula or Henn....

flymick24
11-26-05, 11:24 AM
i would do wright and a mid-level prospect for wilkerson

AJW
11-26-05, 11:27 AM
Bradley.

(waiting for someone to say Damon in 3...2...1...)

How dare you. I would not let that poison anywhere near our clubhouse.

AJW
11-26-05, 11:29 AM

I'd pay to see that. ;)

bobbymagee
11-26-05, 11:56 AM
Just for the hell of it, put me down for Brad Wilkerson.

I will cosponsor this nomination. Do we have a third?

NelsonMuntz
11-26-05, 12:01 PM
We're definitely over three votes for Wiklerson right now. I put in my Wilky nomination much earlier in this thread :)

Sierra Mist
11-26-05, 12:24 PM
its hard to tell, the Yankees have let a lot of names slip by. My guess is our CF for 2006 will be Matsui. I sure hope its not Griffey.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-26-05, 01:35 PM
Brad Wilkerson is a deal waiting to happen.

The Nationals need a 4th and 5th starter. Well, Aaron Small is affordable and is probably at his all time high in terms of value, but Wright might also fill the bill. Then, to replace the bat at the top of the order, throw in Womack. And for the "Yankee tax" send them a potential 5th starter in DePaula or Henn....

Henn could very well be more than a fifth starter

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-26-05, 01:35 PM

yup wilkerson would be the best option, bradley second best and giles third best

AMYanks
11-26-05, 02:03 PM
yup wilkerson would be the best option, bradley second best and giles third best

Giles would be the best option.

Kulish29
11-26-05, 02:09 PM
How dare you. I would not let that poison anywhere near our clubhouse.

You're right. The Yankees should stay as far away from Damon as possible. His contract would be poison indeed.

NelsonMuntz
11-26-05, 02:12 PM
Giles would be the best option.
In RF with Wilkerson in CF and Sheffield DH'ing.

JeffWeaverFan
11-26-05, 02:16 PM
I thought it was Wang, Cano, Duncan and a B level prospect for Beckett, Lowell, Pierre, and Castillo.

Either way, I have no idea. I'll take a stab at it and go with Jason Michaels.

AMYanks
11-26-05, 02:17 PM
In RF with Wilkerson in CF and Sheffield DH'ing.

Obviously. But if we're talking about acquiring only one, then Giles is clearly the best choice.

Sam18
11-26-05, 03:04 PM
I thought it was Wang, Cano, Duncan and a B level prospect for Beckett, Lowell, Pierre, and Castillo.

Either way, I have no idea. I'll take a stab at it and go with Jason Michaels.

That was after the Beckett to sox rumor broke out. Before that the Yankees asked about Pierre and the marlins asked for both Wang and Cano.

diehardyankeefan
11-26-05, 03:11 PM
My first guess would be Milton Bradley.

My second guess would be Jason Michaels.

diehardyankeefan
11-26-05, 03:14 PM
Johnny Damon..Boras will eventually come off of 7 years since its unrealistic and the Yankees will offer him the most money for 4 years.
I disagree, I think Damon will be like a Bernie Williams in a couple years, because Damon's arm is as bad as Bernie.

Johnny O
11-26-05, 05:19 PM
If the Yanks can't reasonably sign or trade for an adequate CFer, I say find a cheap solution to start the season, like Crosby. There will be opportunities to upgrade the position as the season progresses. It's certainly better than giving the overrated Damon 4yrs-$40M or trading for that stiff Pierre.

yankeesrule2000
11-26-05, 05:28 PM
What are you talking about? Wilkerson is still available and Milton Bradley will likely be a FA in december I think. Then there is Jacque Jones on the FA market. The Yankees arent stupid anymore, they wont go after old declining superstars and sign them to huge deals.

Bradley is a headcase, i dont think we will take a chance on him, Wilkerson is good and if he could be had, im all for it. Damon is 31, he is older, but his numbers are good and they havent really declined, like i said mark my words he will be the yankee center fielder for the next 4 years...Save this post, so i can say i told you so...(Even though i hope it doesnt happen)

yank4life2005
11-26-05, 05:34 PM
Nomar Garciaparra. George loves him.

terminator
11-26-05, 05:39 PM
If the Yanks can't reasonably sign or trade for an adequate CFer, I say find a cheap solution to start the season, like Crosby. There will be opportunities to upgrade the position as the season progresses. It's certainly better than giving the overrated Damon 4yrs-$40M or trading for that stiff Pierre.

While I'm not saying that the Yankees should sign Damon/Pierre, it would be dangerous
to wait to address the needs during the season. As the last trading dealine showed us,
the sellers were asking for an arm and a leg - and 1/2 the farm - in return for a decent reliever.

I'm not saying that Cashman's "Wait and See" approach is wrong. But if he is unwilling to overpay now, then he should have the fortitude to not overpay (in terms of trades) during the season as well.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-26-05, 05:39 PM
Bradley is a headcase, i dont think we will take a chance on him, Wilkerson is good and if he could be had, im all for it. Damon is 31, he is older, but his numbers are good and they havent really declined, like i said mark my words he will be the yankee center fielder for the next 4 years...Save this post, so i can say i told you so...(Even though i hope it doesnt happen)

He will be bernie williams in a few years, the yankees already said they didnt have interest in Damon anyway and thought that he wasnt a good defensive player.

yankeesrule2000
11-26-05, 05:43 PM
He will be bernie williams in a few years, the yankees already said they didnt have interest in Damon anyway and thought that he wasnt a good defensive player.

I hope your right

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-26-05, 05:45 PM
I hope your right

If Cash wasnt in charge I wouldnt have any faith whatsoever, but Cashman is a smart man and I have a lot of faith in him.

bardos
11-26-05, 05:56 PM
As much a s Big George hates this word, "patience" is the new front office watchword.

Bubba will be the opening day starting centerfielder.tarts in center.

Johnny O
11-26-05, 06:04 PM
I hope your right

Me too, I don't want Damon in CF, not at the likely cost. A quick review of his career reveals a player who has been very inconsistent offensively.

Aside - go RU! I just got back from the game a bit ago. For selfish reasons, I was hoping they would go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl so I could attend, but it looks like the Insight Bowl vs ASU. Some irony - ASU beat The Knights in The Garden State Bowl, and knocked us out of the NCAA tournament in 1991.

Sam18
11-26-05, 06:05 PM

You're kidding right?

Dooley Womack
11-26-05, 06:15 PM

George has no clue what's going on nowadays, and I don't say that to be mean.

nyyanksfan20
11-26-05, 07:19 PM
I see Crosby/Giles in center for 2006.

yankeesrule2000
11-26-05, 10:20 PM
Me too, I don't want Damon in CF, not at the likely cost. A quick review of his career reveals a player who has been very inconsistent offensively.

Aside - go RU! I just got back from the game a bit ago. For selfish reasons, I was hoping they would go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl so I could attend, but it looks like the Insight Bowl vs ASU. Some irony - ASU beat The Knights in The Garden State Bowl, and knocked us out of the NCAA tournament in 1991.

Yea i know, i was hoping too, i was thinking of flying to phoenix, but then i looked at the cost of plane tickets and changed my mind. I was also at the game, where did u sit?

AJW
11-26-05, 10:39 PM
You're right. The Yankees should stay as far away from Damon as possible. His contract would be poison indeed.

And that board game manufacturer as well.

SubwayFanatic
11-26-05, 10:41 PM
Hopefully Wilkerson.

RIyankee
11-27-05, 12:23 AM
Hopefully Wilkerson.

I'd take Wilkerson in a NY minute.

kslilley
11-27-05, 07:01 PM
Crosby... and I'm cool with it.

Tifoso
11-27-05, 07:04 PM
in a NY minute.

Is that longer or shorter than a regular minute?

Or a minute with an "attitude", maybe? :confused:

Sam18
11-27-05, 07:21 PM
Is that longer or shorter than a regular minute?

Or a minute with an "attitude", maybe? :confused:

No, its a minute that exchanges sex for money and then robs you.

I Love Wang
11-27-05, 08:38 PM
Depending on what Washington does with Wilkerson, he may be available as a free agent at the non-tender deadline. If thats the case, its him. Michaels will be the cheapest to trade for, so if we have to trade, he'll be the guy.

Yankyfan
11-27-05, 09:59 PM
Giles or Crosby.

yank4life2005
11-28-05, 07:10 AM
Depending on what Washington does with Wilkerson, he may be available as a free agent at the non-tender deadline. If thats the case, its him. Michaels will be the cheapest to trade for, so if we have to trade, he'll be the guy.

I seriously doubt the Nationals will non-tender Wilkerson. He is a very good ballplayer and that will create a hole in Washington's OF. I hope that he is but not very likely.

BillBuckner
11-28-05, 07:39 AM
I hope- Brad Wilkerson
I think- Jason Michaels
I hate- Milton Bradley

yankswn23
11-28-05, 01:36 PM
Matsui, with Damon or Giles in Lf.

I Love Wang
11-28-05, 01:55 PM
Matsui, with Damon or Giles in Lf.

Why Matsui in CF? He's a worse fielder than both of those two, especially Giles.

NelsonMuntz
11-28-05, 02:02 PM
I seriously doubt the Nationals will non-tender Wilkerson. He is a very good ballplayer and that will create a hole in Washington's OF. I hope that he is but not very likely.
I don't think they will non-tender him but it would not necessarily create a hole in their outfield. They're looking to add another centerfielder and move Wilkerson to LF. Even if they do not bring in a new centerfielder, they still would be able to play Church in CF and either Byrd or Sledge in LF, but in that scenario I think a trade is more likely than a non-tender.

Shaun4013
11-28-05, 04:58 PM
Milton Bradley

PittsburghYankeeFan
11-28-05, 09:21 PM
Milton Bradley

I agree.

Yankees1962
11-29-05, 08:46 AM
Is this guy for real or he just doesn't know much about baseball?

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4Mjc5MjQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

ICEBERG18
11-29-05, 10:40 AM
Is this guy for real or he just doesn't know much about baseball?

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4Mjc5MjQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

I was dumbfounded by one of his articles last week. Hey, a least he's consistent.

dabomb2045
11-29-05, 10:41 AM
Crosby :mad: :(

Sam18
11-29-05, 10:45 AM
Crosby :mad: :(

Better than Pierre.

dabomb2045
11-29-05, 10:48 AM
Better than Pierre.

well true, Pierre sucks.....but it doesnt mean Crosby is any good.

Sam18
11-29-05, 11:03 AM
well true, Pierre sucks.....but it doesnt mean Crosby is any good.

I'm just trying to look at the silver lining.

goin for 27
11-29-05, 11:40 AM
Milton Bradley

I don't think so.

From Newsday.....

It's not only Brian Cashman who's against Milton Bradley. So is Joe Torre, and with the Yankees' power base currently in New York, that should put an end to that.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash274530172nov27,0,3969128.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Kulish29
11-29-05, 12:49 PM
I don't think so.

From Newsday.....

It's not only Brian Cashman who's against Milton Bradley. So is Joe Torre, and with the Yankees' power base currently in New York, that should put an end to that.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash274530172nov27,0,3969128.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Smokescreen. If the Yankees said they were interested in Bradley, it allows the Dodgers to try and rob them.

Everyone knows that Bradley will be non-tendered on Dec. 20th. Any team can get him for just money then.

YankeeFan1
11-29-05, 12:53 PM
I predict: Johnny Damon
I wish: Milton Bradley or another young solid centerfielder.

Brent
11-29-05, 12:55 PM
Id like to get Milton Bradley. He is better than anyone available to us, he would come cheap. If he blows up we could just release him.

wileedog
11-29-05, 01:23 PM
Everyone knows that Bradley will be non-tendered on Dec. 20th. Any team can get him for just money then.

Yes, but then you may wind up in a bidding war situation for him and have to give him a multi-year contract, which should be avoided at all costs.

The market for CFers ain't getting better any time soon.

goin for 27
11-29-05, 01:29 PM
Smokescreen. If the Yankees said they were interested in Bradley, it allows the Dodgers to try and rob them.

Seriously? That makes no sense. I agree that everyone knows he will be available in December. There is no reason to say that they have no interest, when they can just take him in December. I think they simply know that he would implode here. (Or wherever else he goes for that matter)

Babe Rules
11-29-05, 02:27 PM
Hideki Matsui.

Dooley Womack
11-29-05, 02:28 PM
Mariano Rivera

RobRiv
11-29-05, 02:37 PM
I still have a terrible feeling that it's going to be Damon. I can picture the Yankee Stadium news conference announcing the longterm parking deal -- Johnny with his new corporate haircut, no beard, no arm, and no right to be our centerfielder for years to come. Yuck.

Stay strong George and Cash! Say no to Damon's demands! Let some other sucker sign him for more than 3 years.

Kulish29
11-29-05, 02:43 PM
Seriously? That makes no sense. I agree that everyone knows he will be available in December. There is no reason to say that they have no interest, when they can just take him in December. I think they simply know that he would implode here. (Or wherever else he goes for that matter)

If he's non-tendered on Dec. 20th and the Yankees pick him up, dont be surprised.

TheTinoMobile
11-29-05, 03:15 PM
You know what, I am on the verge of not even caring if the Yankees signed Johnny Damon. We're going to be left in the dark if they don't drop the ball soon, and we'll end up having Bubba Crosby in CF come April 3rd.

Tifoso
11-29-05, 03:25 PM
You know what, I am on the verge of not even caring if the Yankees signed Johnny Damon. We're going to be left in the dark if they don't drop the ball soon, and we'll end up having Bubba Crosby in CF come April 3rd.

He's got a noodle for an arm, though...

Skaggs09
11-29-05, 03:29 PM
I think Bubba would be the best option. Then in 2007, Melky or Kevin Thompson can be the starting center feilder.

Mark19
11-29-05, 04:06 PM
One name that has been completely ignored is Jerry Hairston Jr.

If you ignore his stats from when he was marginalized and misused in Chicago, he provides good offensive tools and is an above-average CF.

His biggest problem is his ability to stay healthy, but that's why we've got Bubba right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6127

He doesn't strike out much, his can steal some bases, he has started 60 games at CF since 2004 and he is likely to come cheap.

The Cubs have been linked to Juan Pierre and have several young OFs coming up soon.

Think about it!

jpao89
11-29-05, 04:16 PM
Crosby. I wouldn't mind so long as Cashman makes up for Crosby's lack of offense with a strong bench, i.e. making the team offense stronger. Honestly, when is the last time the Yankees had some depth? For example, I don't think we need a primarily defensive oriented backup catcher, and if we do, what is that saying about our starting catcher? Leyritz certainly was no defensive gem, but he sure could hit a fastball. Fill those backup slots with bats, not gloves, and the Yankees can make up for having Crosby, a glove, playing center.

Skaggs09
11-29-05, 04:22 PM
I think Bubba will be our starting center feilder. Then in 2007, Melky and Kevin Thompson could get the job.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-29-05, 04:23 PM
I think Bubba will be our starting center feilder. Then in 2007, Melky and Kevin Thompson could get the job.

so basically our centerfielder will suck for 2 years?

Tifoso
11-29-05, 04:32 PM
so basically our centerfielder will suck for 2 years?

With our line-up, we can afford to be "weak" offensively in CF.

Stan Musial
11-30-05, 01:48 AM
Wilkerson...not a chance. Not unless the Yanks are willing to give up Wang (plus some PTBNL).

Giles..he wont be a Yankee. He's either a Blue Jay or a Cardinal.

Crosby..for the Yankee's sake..I hope not.

Pierre..maybe

Kulish29
11-30-05, 01:53 AM
Wilkerson...not a chance. Not unless the Yanks are willing to give up Wang (plus some PTBNL).
And your basis is? Point out where the Nats have asked for anything for him?

Giles..he wont be a Yankee. He's either a Blue Jay or a Cardinal.
He'll be a Blue Jay because he'd be stupid not to take that contract. Cards blew thier chance.

Crosby..for the Yankee's sake..I hope not.
He'll only be a 4th OF'er, dont worry. ;)

Pierre..maybe
Nope, never happen. As it's been noted numerous times in the media and this board that the Yankees have zero interest in him.

Stan Musial
11-30-05, 01:57 AM
No basis for it. But, after reading some people here who think Wilkerson could be had for a bag of balls and Wang's jock strap..I wanted to ensure that the Yankee homerism here is put in check.

Small for Wilkerson...seriously. Does anyone really believe that? Laughable..

Kulish29
11-30-05, 02:34 AM
No basis for it. But, after reading some people here who think Wilkerson could be had for a bag of balls and Wang's jock strap..I wanted to ensure that the Yankee homerism here is put in check.

I've knocked the Small trade rumors all along, that would never happen. He does have trade value, but it's not going to be for a player like Wilkerson. But it's not going to take Wang or a top prospect to get Wilkerson. Not when he's slated to be a 4th OF'er next year.

NYDCYankee
11-30-05, 02:39 AM
I've knocked the Small trade rumors all along, that would never happen. He does have trade value, but it's not going to be for a player like Wilkerson. But it's not going to take Wang or a top prospect to get Wilkerson. Not when he's slated to be a 4th OF'er next year.

Don't forget the Nats are also exploring a trade for Juan Pierre as well.

Bloodshot
11-30-05, 09:24 AM
A different possibility:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/cooperstown/discussion/november_29_2005/

Now that the Phillies have stockpiled center fielders—the steal of Aaron Rowand gives them three viable options, along with solid backup Jason Michaels and top prospect Shane Victorino—they’ve begun talks with the Yankees about making a trade for some pitching. The Phils would love to add Shawn Chacon to a thinning staff that could lose both Billy Wagner and Ugueth Urbina, but might settle for Aaron Small in a deal for Michaels. The Yankees’ preference would be to unload Carl Pavano, but that would require a financial commitment (i.e. eating some nasty-tasting contract) on their part; besides, Pavano is strictly a starter, whereas the Phillies would prefer a more versatile pitcher like Chacon or Small, both of whom have recent experience out of the bullpen… Would Michaels be a legitimate answer to the Yankees’ center field woes? The answer here is yes. In fact, some folks in the Phillies’ organization thought that he should have been given the fulltime job in Philadelphia, rather than make trades for Kenny Lofton and Endy Chavez. Over the last two years, Michaels has compiled a respectable on-base percentage of .381 despite having to combat the perils of sporadic playing time. In the field, the 29-year-old Michaels is an above-average defender; though he lacks the sprinter’s speed that would be ideal for center field, he makes up for the deficiency with good jumps, a healthy dose of aggressiveness, and a decent throwing arm. Yes, the Yankees could manage with Michaels as the starter, backed up by the solid defense of Bubba Crosby…

RobbiMan
11-30-05, 09:45 AM

It won't? It might if Javy Vazquez has anything to do with it.

Trade talks between the Nationals and Diamondbacks regarding a Javier Vazquez trade are "very much alive," a Nationals source told the Washington Post.
The Nationals wouldn't seem to have a lot to offer, unless maybe the Diamondbacks are interested in Brad Wilkerson as a center fielder. John Patterson won't be on the table. Nov. 29 - 4:26 am et
http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=164940&id=5947

Macklew
11-30-05, 10:09 AM
Bernie "Rocket Arm" Williams

Kulish29
11-30-05, 10:22 AM
It won't? It might if Javy Vazquez has anything to do with it.

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=164940&id=5947

That's all speculation by a fantasy baseball site. It says the Nats, "Dont have a lot to offer , unless maybe the Diamondbacks are interested in Brad Wilkerson as a center fielder."

It doesnt say the Nats threw that out there as an option or anything to that effect.

Ask yourself this question: Would the Diamondbacks trade Vasquez, a pitcher that's still semi-young and has loads of potential for Brad Wilkerson, someone who is more than likely going to be a 4th OF'er in 2006?

They'd likely scoff at that idea.

NelsonMuntz
11-30-05, 10:44 AM

While I agree that it's unlikely, you should never overestimate Jim Bowden.

BigBats
11-30-05, 03:08 PM
Damon or Michaels

Buzah!
11-30-05, 03:53 PM
Wilkerson or Granderson.

nyctalopia
11-30-05, 03:59 PM
Wilkerson - I Hope
Michaels - I think
Crosby - I fear

Yanksagain
11-30-05, 04:07 PM
I hope- Brad Wilkerson
I think- Jason Michaels
I hate- Milton Bradley

Flip this for my opinion -

I hope - Milton Bradley
I think - Jason Michaels or Bubba
I hate - Brad Wilkerson and Damon

ICEBERG18
11-30-05, 10:01 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/01/sports/baseball/01yanks.html

WebsterMulligan
11-30-05, 10:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/01/sports/baseball/01yanks.html

The article indicates that the Yanks are waiting for Damon's price to fall into the 3-4 year range, or they simply go with Bubba in CF.

I hope this does'nt mean that the Yanks are pinning their hopes to either Bubba or Damon, without considering any other possibility. I would settle for Damon in CF, for a three-year term at a very modest price.

StatenIslandYankee
11-30-05, 11:07 PM
Either Brad Wilkerson or Damon