PDA

View Full Version : If the Mets get Soriano, how can we benefit from it?

Yankeeah
11-24-05, 02:55 PM
If the Mets acquire Soriano, and Lastings Milledge is in the deal, the Rangers would have a surplus of outfielders. They would be adding Milledge to Dellucci, Mench, Matthews and Nix.

Matthews has a good arm and can play a good center. His hitting is weak, but he is an ok runner. Wasn't he on the block last year?

Nix would be better suited as a corner OF, and he would be just an average CF. I don't think Texas would trade him.

So if the Mets do give the Rangers Milledge for Sori, think we can put a package together for Matthews?

YankeeStripes
11-24-05, 03:00 PM
I wouldnt mind having Dellucci back.

Yankeeah
11-24-05, 03:03 PM
I wouldnt mind having Dellucci back.

Either would I, but his range has decreased and has a weak arm. Great attitude though, kind of player I love

27IsNext
11-24-05, 03:30 PM
Matthews will likely be non-tendered if they acquire Milledge.

38Special
11-24-05, 03:32 PM
Milledge is not ready for the majors so this really isnt going to change much

Yanks21
11-24-05, 03:42 PM
FWIW, Mench was rumored to be dealt to Toronto for Miguel Batista...

JeffWeaverFan
11-24-05, 04:28 PM
Mench is on the block and Milledge will continue to play in the minors.

Saxmania
11-24-05, 05:18 PM
By not getting Soriano and not trading Cano. I like the sound of that.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
11-24-05, 07:02 PM
The Mets got the power hitter they wanted in Delgado. That ends their quest for Soriano. If the Yankees don't land a CF soon, maybe Sori will be part of our team after all. He could play left and let Matsui handle center, his natural position. But .... now that San Diego has given up on signing Giles, we may have a shot at him if he wants to come here.

ring403
11-24-05, 07:11 PM
The Mets got the power hitter they wanted in Delgado. That ends their quest for Soriano. Not necessarily.
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTQmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4MjE1OTMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
After formally announcing the Delagado deal either today or Friday, the Mets will explore a trade for Alfonso Soriano, which, if completed, would complete the transformation Minaya had dreamt of since becoming the general manager.

Already he's looking at the early stages of a Murderers' Row: Carlos Beltran, David Wright, Carlos Delgado and Cliff Floyd. And that's without Soriano, whom the Rangers are looking to move, or Manny Ramirez, who is apparently history at Fenway, too.

yankees76
11-24-05, 08:13 PM
Delucci is not a CF, and if Bubba hits the way he hit last year, particularly in September when he got a chance to play full time, Delucci is hardly even an upgrade.

conkermaniac
11-24-05, 08:18 PM
Delucci is not a CF, and if Bubba hits the way he hit last year, particularly in September when he got a chance to play full time, Delucci is hardly even an upgrade.
If we knew for certain that Bubba would hit the way he hit in September for a whole season, we wouldn't need to be thinking about acquiring a CF.

I Love Wang
11-24-05, 08:20 PM
If we knew for certain that Bubba would hit the way he hit in September for a whole season, we wouldn't need to be thinking about acquiring a CF.

Bubba still wasn't all that good in September.

yankees76
11-24-05, 08:22 PM

Catch-22. It's the way he hit when he finally got a chance to be the everyday CF....

September aside, his overall '05 numbers are fine for what we need in CF.

38Special
11-24-05, 08:23 PM
17/53. Very little power or patience but he was getting hits

yankees76
11-24-05, 08:24 PM

???

He hit .321. That's great for a guy we were playing for his defensive capability.

yankees76
11-24-05, 08:26 PM

Also, only seven SOs in 53 ABs. He was putting the ball in play.

NewEraYanks2527
11-24-05, 10:46 PM
Murderer's Row your ass. That Mets lineup while good is no Murderer's Row, lets just toss around the nickname of perhaps the greatest baseball team of all time to the ................ing Mets. Jackasses.

wileedog
11-24-05, 10:50 PM
???

He hit .321. That's great for a guy we were playing for his defensive capability.

A wise man once told me never trust April or September numbers.

I've rarely been disappointed with that advice.

Yankees1962
11-24-05, 10:52 PM
A wise man once told me never trust April or September numbers.
You sounded just like Mike Francesca when he mentioned that old baseball adage the other day.;)

Evil Empire
11-24-05, 10:55 PM
What would they do with Kaz?

AMYanks
11-24-05, 10:55 PM
You sounded just like Mike Francesca when he mentioned that old baseball adage the other day.;)

I didn't think he sounded at all like Mike Francesa. I never heard the phrase "Bernie Williams is the greatest player EVER." thrown around by the poster. ;)

wileedog
11-24-05, 10:56 PM

Well than now I have to take it with a grain of salt... ;)

I Love Wang
11-25-05, 01:07 AM

Thats not good. Hitting .321 with a .333OBP is not good, especially when you aren't getting any XBHs. And, especially, it indicates that the success is likely to be very short lived.

yankees76
11-25-05, 01:12 AM
Thats not good. Hitting .321 with a .333OBP is not good, especially when you aren't getting any XBHs. And, especially, it indicates that the success is likely to be very short lived.

Better than Juan Pierre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6550

No one is saying make Bubba the everyday CF because he can hit like vintage '99 Bernie Williams. As long as he is not a complete disaster, like Flaherty, he's fine. We are putting him there for defense and speed in the outfield, which translates to fewer doubles/fewer runs/better starting pitching.

I Love Wang
11-25-05, 01:15 AM
Better than Juan Pierre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6550

No one is saying make Bubba the everyday CF because he can hit like vintage '99 Bernie Williams. As long as he is not a complete disaster, like Flaherty, he's fine. We are putting him there for defense and speed in the outfield, which translates to fewer doubles/fewer runs/better starting pitching.

Crosby, over the course of the season, would be an offensive disaster. There are way too many other options that would be MUCH better for us to play a total scrub like Crosby every day.

yankees76
11-25-05, 01:28 AM
Crosby, over the course of the season, would be an offensive disaster. There are way too many other options that would be MUCH better for us to play a total scrub like Crosby every day.

I don't actually disagree with this, but the team hasn't identified a better option in CF, and rather than making a move for the sake of making a move, or overpaying Damon (though the real issue is probably giving him too many years, not overpaying him), I would prefer that they play Crosby, maybe give Kevin Thompson some time out there if Crisby doesn't work out, see if Melky is better after another year in the minors ... and wait to try to pick someone better up at the trading deadline.

I Love Wang
11-25-05, 01:37 AM
The reason I wouldn't mind Michaels is largely because Melky is doing very well in the DWL right now. I'd start him in AAA, and maybe he's ready to contribute by mid-season. If not, Michaels can hold the fort. But Michaels wouldn't be blocking anyone.

miko
11-25-05, 01:45 AM
If we knew for certain that Bubba would hit the way he hit in September for a whole season, we wouldn't need to be thinking about acquiring a CF.That would be great if he could but I can't see it happening over the course of a full season. I's say that we still need to search for an everyday CF. While Bubba is an adequate defender my question is how many collisions is he going to be involved in over the course of a full season?

gdn
11-25-05, 06:05 AM
The reason I wouldn't mind Michaels is largely because Melky is doing very well in the DWL right now. I'd start him in AAA, and maybe he's ready to contribute by mid-season. If not, Michaels can hold the fort. But Michaels wouldn't be blocking anyone.Really? Last time I checked he was hitting .250 (about a week ago). Good to hear he's picked it up.

Stupid Flanders
11-25-05, 08:50 AM
now that San Diego has given up on signing Giles, we may have a shot at him if he wants to come here.What crazy source is this?

IMO, the Padres are currently the front runners for Giles.

Martini6196
11-25-05, 08:56 AM
What crazy source is this?

IMO, the Padres are currently the front runners for Giles.

Not anymore....... http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20051124-9999-1s24padres.html

gdn
11-25-05, 11:04 AM
The club rejected 3/30 after offering 3/25.5 I believe if the Yankees offer 3/33, they can get him.

This is what bothers me, though:

If Giles signs with another club, the Padres would get two compensatory picks in the June amateur draft.

TWO PICKS? As it is we have pick 28....

MTYankee23
11-25-05, 11:06 AM
The club rejected 3/30 after offering 3/25.5 I believe if the Yankees offer 3/33, they can get him.

This is what bothers me, though:

Yup, this is the cost of not continually developing our own players. Didn't Pavano cost us a couple last year as well? Although I think we did get 1 back from Leiber.

BJG
11-25-05, 11:07 AM

The Yankees don't lose two picks, the Padres get two picks. One would be a Yankees draft pick. The second is a sandwich pick between the first and second round that doesn't come from any other team.

gdn
11-25-05, 11:10 AM
The Yankees don't lose two picks, the Padres get two picks. One would be a Yankees draft pick. The second is a sandwich pick between the first and second round that doesn't come from any other team.
Oh, yup. Right, correct. Sorry, my bad. Still. We'll probably end up picking #76 and draft David Parrish - II: He never went away.

BJG
11-25-05, 11:17 AM
Oh, yup. Right, correct. Sorry, my bad. Still. We'll probably end up picking #76 and draft David Parrish - II: He never went away.

Accept that they drfafted Parrish 28th overall, sure.

BJG
11-25-05, 11:20 AM
Oh, and the Mets aren't even considering trading Milledge for Soriano as far as I know, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I Love Wang
11-25-05, 12:23 PM
This is why its important that we offer Gordon arbitration, and have him sign elsewhere. Those picks, I'm fairly certain, are safe, regardless of who we sign.

gdn
11-25-05, 12:29 PM
Accept that they drfafted Parrish 28th overall, sure.Again, you are correct. I was thinking of Brandon Weeden, 71st overall in 2002.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-25-05, 12:45 PM
We can laugh at the Mets getting the most overrated player in baseball

jackson_23
11-27-05, 03:04 AM
We can laugh at the Mets getting the most overrated player in baseball
how is he overrated??, he has above average defence and is a 40-40 threat and bats around the 300 mark last time i checked that is exactly what you want from a player

Yankeeah
11-27-05, 10:01 AM
how is he overrated??, he has above average defence and is a 40-40 threat and bats around the 300 mark last time i checked that is exactly what you want from a player

He has below average defense, very easily. He doesn't runout fly balls, watches home runs etc.

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-27-05, 12:28 PM
September aside, his overall '05 numbers are fine for what we need in CF.
If Bubba does what he did in September, he's fine for what we need in CF. If he puts up his overall '05 numbers, he's nothing short of a disaster.

AMYanks
11-27-05, 12:47 PM

He's below average defensively, and he's a .280 career hitter with a .320 OBP. Over time, as he declines as a hitter, and his speed declines, he will be a .250 hitter with an OBP below .300.

For some of the praise he receives, he is overrated.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-27-05, 01:29 PM
He's below average defensively, and he's a .280 career hitter with a .320 OBP. Over time, as he declines as a hitter, and his speed declines, he will be a .250 hitter with an OBP below .300.

For some of the praise he receives, he is overrated.

Exactly everyone acts like he is the best 2b in baseball, not at all, us getting A-rod for him was a miracle. I take back what I said though he is the second most overrated player in baseball, Ichiro is number one.(and why does everybody call him ichiro instead of his last name?)