PDA

View Full Version : Lilly for Pavano?

Spaceboy88
11-23-05, 08:54 PM
With the Blue Jays in the hunt for Ryan and/or A.J. Burnett, why shouldn't the Yankees approach Toronto about Ted Lilly for Carl Pavano? Obviously, the Yankees would eat a lot of Pavano's contract, but Lilly's proven that he can beat the Red Sox, and with the run support the Yankees could provide, it could end up working out in both teams favor, especially if Pavano is used by the Jays in a possible 3-way trade?

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-05, 08:58 PM
With the Blue Jays in the hunt for Ryan and/or A.J. Burnett, why shouldn't the Yankees approach Toronto about Ted Lilly for Carl Pavano? Obviously, the Yankees would eat a lot of Pavano's contract, but Lilly's proven that he can beat the Red Sox, and with the run support the Yankees could provide, it could end up working out in both teams favor, especially if Pavano is used by the Jays in a possible 3-way trade?

Neither side would want to do this, but we would be getting ripped off. We cant get a pitcher, to beat just one team even if that team is our rival.

Spaceboy88
11-23-05, 09:00 PM
Neither side would want to do this, but we would be getting ripped off. We cant get a pitcher, to beat just one team even if that team is our rival.

It's not so much to beat the Red Sox as it is to upgrade what could potentially be a bust in Pavano. Either way, they're the almost the same pitcher...except one isn't whining about NY.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-05, 09:03 PM
It's not so much to beat the Red Sox as it is to upgrade what could potentially be a bust in Pavano. Either way, they're the almost the same pitcher...except one isn't whining about NY.

Pavano was good this season until he injured his shoulder. in March and April he had a 3.10 era. I firmly believe if healthy he is a solid number 3 guy. Ted Lilly isnt a good pitcher and had a even higher era than pavano last year.

Sierra Mist
11-23-05, 09:11 PM
Pavano is pretty popular on this board lately.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-05, 09:14 PM
Pavano is pretty popular on this board lately.

Before Last season he has been improving since the 2003 all star break and only an injury brought him down. If he has a similiar year next year with no excuse I wont be as high on him. Regardless it would be pointless to trade Pavano now as he has little trade value.

NewEraYanks2527
11-23-05, 09:22 PM
Boy everyone is looking for a way to trade Pavano. I think he will come back strong but hey what do I know.

NYYRocket
11-23-05, 09:29 PM
no thanks, we got rid of Lilly for a reason last time. Pavano was hurt all year, he will be a good pitcher, and if he wants out of NY we need to look higher than Ted Lilly

hellonewman
11-23-05, 09:35 PM
Lilly's reputation exceeds his ability.

Yankeeah
11-23-05, 09:40 PM
Ever see that Simpsons episode, where Homer plays softball? Remember when Darryl Strawberry cries because Bart and Lisa anre taunting him? Carl Pavano must have the same look on his face now as he's reading this thread.

I'd do the trade, if we get Vernon Wells in it. Take that J.P. Ricchardi!

Vin
11-23-05, 10:21 PM
Johan Santana for Pavano and I'd throw in Wright for free..

Sierra Mist
11-23-05, 10:22 PM
Johan Santana for Pavano and I'd throw in Wright for free..

Hopefully we can get Santana soon for real.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-05, 10:23 PM

I doubt it. The Twins have him for the next 3 years I believe and most likely wont trade him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-23-05, 10:24 PM
Whats the point?

Yankeeah
11-23-05, 10:25 PM

Wait for real, or for fake?

Sierra Mist
Whats the point?

salary relief is my guess

Vin
By the time we get Santana, he'd often be injured, has grandkids and would demand 5-6 years.

Sierra Mist
11-23-05, 10:27 PM
By the time we get Santana, he'd often be injured, has grandkids and would demand 5-6 years.

:lol: :lol: Now if I made that post people would go nuts.

IncredibleByNature
11-23-05, 10:28 PM
Ever see that Simpsons episode, where Homer plays softball? Remember when Darryl Strawberry cries because Bart and Lisa anre taunting him? Carl Pavano must have the same look on his face now as he's reading this thread.

I'd do the trade, if we get Vernon Wells in it. Take that J.P. Ricchardi!

That's a great episode. :lol:

JapanJobbers
11-23-05, 10:29 PM
That's a great episode. :lol:

The best part was when Burns pulled Strawberry to play the match ups. :)

IncredibleByNature
11-23-05, 10:38 PM
The best part was when Burns pulled Strawberry to play the match ups. :)

"But I have 9 homeruns today!" :lol:

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-23-05, 10:39 PM
salary relief is my guess

For who? Pavano is more expensive...

Mystic Merlyn
11-23-05, 10:41 PM
Now, why would Toronto make this trade?

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-05, 10:42 PM
Now, why would Toronto make this trade?

Why would the Yankees make this trade?

NelsonMuntz
11-23-05, 11:29 PM
Pavano > Lilly

JapanJobbers
11-24-05, 04:03 AM
Pavano > Lilly

Yes, but Lilly is much cheaper.

ryanthe13th
11-24-05, 04:12 AM
Yes, but Lilly is much cheaper.

Have you looked at the Yankees bank account lately? They aren't exactly strapped for cash, and Pavano has had one year in NY.

JapanJobbers
11-24-05, 06:07 AM
Have you looked at the Yankees bank account lately? They aren't exactly strapped for cash, and Pavano has had one year in NY.

Sure, it doesn't make any difference to the Yankees, but it does to the Jays which is why they wouldn't make the trade.

NotStiller
11-24-05, 12:15 PM
no thanks, we got rid of Lilly for a reason last time. Pavano was hurt all year, he will be a good pitcher, and if he wants out of NY we need to look higher than Ted Lilly

What are you talking about? You're implying that Lilly was traded because the Yankees had found something they disliked about Lilly.

Lilly was traded because the Yankees wanted Jeff Weaver for the stretch run. They thought they were getting another front of the rotation guy for a good, young #4/5. It didn't work out. I think they'd love to have that deal and Ted Lilly back.

But who cares, no one wants Pavano- certainly not without salary relief and most definitely not for a proven pitcher.

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-24-05, 12:19 PM
What are you talking about? You're implying that Lilly was traded because the Yankees had found something they disliked about Lilly.

Lilly was traded because the Yankees wanted Jeff Weaver for the stretch run. They thought they were getting another front of the rotation guy for a good, young #4/5. It didn't work out. I think they'd love to have that deal and Ted Lilly back.

But who cares, no one wants Pavano- certainly not without salary relief and most definitely not for a proven pitcher.

What if that proven pitcher is a proven 4.50+ era pitcher?

Dr. Gonzo
11-24-05, 12:34 PM
why don't I kick myself in the balls. I don't get what this accomplishes.

Lets trade a guy at the bottom os his value and throw in money, since they are the yanks anyway. Why do people just want to trade for the sake of it?

Lets trade everyone because the mets are making dumb moves, and we need our names on the front page of the paper.

do people think before they post?

ZIM 2002
11-28-05, 11:12 AM
Lilly was injured a lot of last year too, so I don't think you can just assume that Pavano is the better pitcher. Lilly certainly had the attitude to pitch in New York at least.

mbn007
11-28-05, 11:27 AM
Lilly would be a nice addition, and I believe he can handle the Bronx. But I would like to see Carl with a full, healthy season, and how he can do here.

Bet those boos become cheers real fast.