PDA

View Full Version : How About Hasegawa?

Posada_20
11-23-05, 08:56 AM
He's always been pretty consistent. Keeps the ball down. Would be a good setup man for Mo, and proably wouldn't cost that much. Can proably get him for a 1 or 2 year deal, giving TJ Beam and JB Cox some time to develop.

The Dynasty
11-23-05, 09:05 AM
If he comes cheap (ie 1-year + option @ 1-2M), hell yeah. Otherwise, I'd rather take my chances on Farnsworth or throw the extra 1-2M at Ryan.

Dr. Gonzo
11-23-05, 09:06 AM
I would like this move, worth a shot

BJG
11-23-05, 09:12 AM
Paul Quantrill II, but without the rubber arm and not as good.

mbn007
11-23-05, 09:25 AM
Actually, a very close comparison. Nice going. :clap:

gold23
11-23-05, 09:29 AM
Quantrill was actually a decent middle/later innings guy for 6 or 7 years before he got to the Yanks.

I'd take a Paul Quantrill-type again- I think someone like Hasegawa would be a significant upgrade to the middle inning relief. Depends on cost, of course. I wouldn't pay a lot for him, and I don't know what he is asking.

BJG
11-23-05, 09:31 AM
Quantrill was actually a decent middle/later innings guy for 6 or 7 years before he got to the Yanks.

I'd take a Paul Quantrill-type again- I think someone like Hasegawa would be a significant upgrade to the middle inning relief. Depends on cost, of course. I wouldn't pay a lot for him, and I don't know what he is asking.

Sure, but the Yankees don't have the roster spot to upgrade inning 6 middle relief. They have 2 spots for inning 8. Filling those spots with someone who might be slightly better than what you have but not as good as what you need doesn't accomplish much.

gold23
11-23-05, 09:47 AM
Sure, but the Yankees don't have the roster spot to upgrade inning 6 middle relief. They have 2 spots for inning 8. Filling those spots with someone who might be slightly better than what you have but not as good as what you need doesn't accomplish much.

This is true. But missing the boat on everyone you target for inning 8 would lead the Yanks to pitch the 8th inning with guys like Proctor/Small, et al. Hasegawa, in my mind, would be a total backup plan if you only sign one of the targeted closer/setup type pitchers. Then a pen of Mo/Gordon, Farnsworth, or similar/Strutze/Hasegawa would be ok with me.

NYDCYankee
11-23-05, 09:56 AM
Didn't Hasegawa get cut last year? I mean I think we should still get him we need guys with decent arms. I am just noting this because I think he may come cheaply since that happened.

BJG
11-23-05, 10:24 AM
This is true. But missing the boat on everyone you target for inning 8 would lead the Yanks to pitch the 8th inning with guys like Proctor/Small, et al. Hasegawa, in my mind, would be a total backup plan if you only sign one of the targeted closer/setup type pitchers. Then a pen of Mo/Gordon, Farnsworth, or similar/Strutze/Hasegawa would be ok with me.

Does he really project better than Proctor or Small? He's coming off two down years in a row in a park that definately plays to his strengths. He's 37.

ryanthe13th
11-23-05, 11:03 AM
He's getting up there in age. I would sign him to a low money, 1 year w/ option deal if our options are completely kaput. Worse comes to worse, he could hang out with Hideo Nomo.

TheTinoMobile
11-23-05, 11:07 AM

Yes but can he throw the ball behind someoneTWICE and not hit them?

gold23
11-23-05, 11:07 AM
Does he really project better than Proctor or Small? He's coming off two down years in a row in a park that definately plays to his strengths. He's 37.

I guess it depends. I am not a big Small guy :). I love the guy, but I just think we had some smoke and mirrors last season from him. How many DP balls get hammered right at an infielder? I think Small is a perfect swing guy, but I don't want him pitching late in tight games.

Proctor? I like his arm. I think his fastball tends to be a bit too straight- he gives up the long ball at a rate that is WAY too high for a late inning reliever.

So....yes, Hasegawa would be a better fit, IMO, than those two guys as late inning relievers. But I see your point- Yanks would be settling for mediocrity (or possibly worse) over potential to be better.

ryanthe13th
11-23-05, 11:19 AM
Yes but can he throw the ball behind someoneTWICE and not hit them?

That was one of the greatest things Paul Quantrill ever did in his career. Shortly after, he added another great moment to his highlight reel when he challenged the entire Detroit Tigers to a fight. Quantrill may have sucked in 2005, but I think he has a bright future in the WWE if he ever wanted to go that route.