PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi must be P.O.'d

oyvey
11-22-05, 11:06 AM
You think he knew he would manage a team that would have a fire sale when he became manager of the fish.

silverdsl
11-22-05, 11:13 AM
Maybe he knew before he took the job that there would be changes...

-Deborah

hardrain
11-22-05, 11:29 AM
I bet Joe is doing a slow boil. He wants to prove himself, not be a caretaking after a fire sale.

gold23
11-22-05, 11:34 AM
I don't think he knew before he took the job that there would be a firesale.

swityak11
11-22-05, 11:42 AM
I kinda think the only reason he got a manager job with so little experience is because there was going to be a fire sale.

I'm guessing he knew and it was well worth it to him.

Sam18
11-22-05, 12:09 PM
Why would he be P.O.'d? His team just got rid of an injury prone pitcher and a washed up 3B with a ridiculous contract and got decent prospects in return. His future looks very bright.

Jersey Yankee
11-22-05, 02:54 PM
Well, it's not like a rook was going to be managing a playoff team anytime soon, so the element of a challenge shouldn't be too daunting. If he proves himself, what's the diff?

So long as he's still got the D-Train, he'll be fine.

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-22-05, 03:00 PM
How could he not have known? Once the stadium fell through, I don't think it was any big secret that they'd be looking to make major changes to their roster.

JWHIII
11-22-05, 03:02 PM
They should lock up D-train and Cabrera with the money they've saved. Not bad people to build a team around.

JDPNYY
11-22-05, 03:05 PM
Who gives a damn about Joe Girardi? He's the Manager of the Marlins. I certainly don't care about him or his team.

JeffWeaverFan
11-22-05, 03:28 PM
Why would he be P.O.'d? His team just got rid of an injury prone pitcher and a washed up 3B with a ridiculous contract and got decent prospects in return. His future looks very bright.
I think your underating Beckett. If he was a FA and we needed a starting pitcher, I would love to have signed him.

Sam18
11-22-05, 06:32 PM
I think your underating Beckett. If he was a FA and we needed a starting pitcher, I would love to have signed him.

I don't know if I'd sign him if he was a FA. Probably yes if we were desperate for SP. But his 9 DL trips worry me. That's Kevin Brown like.

Panamaniac42
11-22-05, 08:42 PM
Girardi must not be thrilled right now but he had the opportunity and he took it. Look how hard it was for Willie Randolph to get HIS shot.

He has to start somewhere, there ARE worse places.

It looks like the Marlins will be on the move as it will be nearly impossible to secure funds for their new stadium, but they have a bright future IMO.

They took their shot this year and blew it...I'm sure Girardi had to know SOME sort of restructuring was in the works.

Yanks Lifer
11-22-05, 08:45 PM
I feel bad for Joe too but think he has a long future ahead of him as a manager. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in pinstripes someday.

RhodyYanksFan
11-22-05, 09:57 PM
I don't know if I'd sign him if he was a FA. Probably yes if we were desperate for SP. But his 9 DL trips worry me. That's Kevin Brown like.

Beckett is 25, Brown is 40. Brown has been on the DL 15 times in his career, Beckett 9. That's not good odds for his future.

Evil Empire
11-22-05, 10:10 PM
9 DL Stints?!! That's ridiculous.

NJ Fan
11-22-05, 10:14 PM
9 DL Stints?!! That's ridiculous.

Mostly blisters.

Evil Empire
11-22-05, 10:17 PM
Mostly blisters.

I bow to you again 1212.

None the less, that's still 135 days (at least, assuming they were all on the 15 day DL) he's spent on the DL in his 5 year career.

DeputyFife
11-22-05, 10:22 PM
They had to get rid of Lowell and the only way to do that was to add him on another deal, something worth it to another team. They lost Pavano and Burnett and no way they trade Willis. I think they have some really good young pitchers that are looking for a chance. I can't really blame the Marlins for this trade, although I think Blaylock would have been better but time will tell.

NJ Fan
11-22-05, 10:28 PM
I bow to you again 1212.

None the less, that's still 135 days (at least, assuming they were all on the 15 day DL) he's spent on the DL in his 5 year career.

:lol: Quit your damned bowing already! It'll hurt your posture.

If they were 15 days each time, yeah, that's a bunch of days.

Here's an article that came out after his 8th stint on the DL...(I think 7 of the 9 were blister-related)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2088645

It's the eighth trip to the disabled list for Beckett, who's in his fourth full major-league season. Six of those stints have been because of blisters.

Evil Empire
11-22-05, 10:30 PM
:lol: Quit your damned bowing already! It'll hurt your posture.

If they were 15 days each time, yeah, that's a bunch of days.

Here's an article that came out after his 8th stint on the DL...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2088645

:giveup:

;) :D

That's still a lot.

Kulish29
11-23-05, 01:34 AM
I wonder what he's going to do once the team moves to Vegas. ;)

SoCal Pinstriper
11-23-05, 08:05 AM
I wonder what he's going to do once the team moves to Vegas. ;)Not that far fetched.

MIAMI GARDENS Unable to finalize a deal to build a stadium in Miami, the Florida Marlins have been granted permission from Major League Baseball to seek relocation outside of South Florida.

Marlins President David Samson said Tuesday that while the team's preference is to remain in South Florida, team owner Jeffrey Loria was forced to request permission to look elsewhere because he had no real prospects for a stadium.

"No longer can baseball in South Florida be assured," Loria said in a statement. "It is now clear that there will be no baseball stadium in the city of Miami. So we must begin to explore other options."

Samson, who said Loria will not sell the Marlins, said the team won't move before 2008 and that without a stadium solution it won't stay past 2010, when its lease at Dolphins Stadium expires.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-stadium23nov23,0,4010430.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Lots of detail in the article, but the bottom line seems to be that there is no public money on the horizon.

Yankyfan
11-23-05, 10:13 AM
Sounds wierd but he should have taken the D-Rays job.There more stable at this point.

ring403
11-23-05, 11:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/24/sports/baseball/24chass.html
"I knew they were going to make trades," Girardi said by telephone from his home in Chicago. "We talked about that when I first met with them. They said they had to do some things they felt would make their club better for a long time."

David Samson, the Marlins' president, confirmed that Girardi and other candidates for the job were advised of the club's plan to lower its payroll. "Absolutely," he said. "Of course."

JeffWeaverFan
11-24-05, 02:00 AM
Beckett has had blister problems while Brown had major back problems. The two are completely different (especially considering the age). Either way, even if he has some blister problems next year, he'll still pitch a good amount of innings and pitch well.

Dooley Womack
11-24-05, 02:59 AM
I think when Girardi heard that there will be trades to "improve" the club, he took it literally.

Yankees1962
11-24-05, 07:03 AM
Eventually, I think Girardi will be the manager of the Cubs or the Yankees while he learns how to manage with this young Marlins team.

jimmyclark
11-24-05, 09:57 AM
There in an article in the NY Times saying Girardi is "excited" about 2006. Yeah, being in a pit of vipers is exciting too.

ericns1
11-24-05, 08:25 PM
Maybe Joe will be back in a few years to manage - as of know you are right I do feel sorry for him