PDA

View Full Version : Yankees ask about Affeldt and MacDougall from KC (NY Post)

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
11-17-05, 09:57 AM
" The Post has learned that at the GM meetings, the Yankees asked about young Kansas City relievers Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal. But the Yankees haven't contacted the Royals since.

Affeldt (0-2, 5.26 ERA, 12 holds) is a 26-year-old lefty, and MacDougal (5-6, 3.33 ERA, 21 saves in 25 chances) is a 28-year-old righty. The Royals covet second baseman Robinson Cano, whom the Yanks likely wouldn't move for either player."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/57630.htm

Interesting that Cashman is dipping into other areas now. I think both those players makes sense, they have a ton of talent and are stuck in the baseball equivalent of purgatory and both are nearing the dreaded arbitration age, which is what helped the Yankees net Chacon last year. Wonder if this is something to keep an eye on as the off-season moves along. If Ryan choses to go somewhere to close, and Wagner is gone to the Mets, maybe something like this plays out.

NYDCYankee
11-17-05, 09:59 AM
Interesting that Cashman is dipping into other areas now. I think both those players makes sense, they have a ton of talent and are stuck in the baseball equivalent of purgatory and both are nearing the dreaded arbitration age, which is what helped the Yankees net Chacon last year. Wonder if this is something to keep an eye on as the off-season moves along. If Ryan choses to go somewhere to close, and Wagner is gone to the Mets, maybe something like this plays out.

I would love this, especially if we could snag both somehow. They are looking to add payroll, maybe Pavano gets it done. They are young and talented though Affeldt is hurt constantly.

DontHateOnNumber2
11-17-05, 10:00 AM
It might play out, but definitely not for Robbie Cano. These two guys don't even know what it's like to win so I'm sure they don't object to being moved anywhere. Are you suggesting that Cashman just wait it out and forced the Royals to give themselves the bad part of a deal?

gamesix1977
11-17-05, 10:04 AM
MacDougal bounced back and had a good year. Both have intrigued me for a while, but the injury history is there with both.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
11-17-05, 10:05 AM
It might play out, but definitely not for Robbie Cano. These two guys don't even know what it's like to win so I'm sure they don't object to being moved anywhere. Are you suggesting that Cashman just wait it out and forced the Royals to give themselves the bad part of a deal?

I'm thinking that Cashman, and the Yankees, main objective most years is to rather sign a free agent and engage in a trade. Free agents "only" cost money. To get Affeldt and/or MacDougal, you'd have to give up more young players who are far from arbitration. With Ryan, Wagner, Eyre, Gordon, and Farnsworth all available, your best bet is to try to play for them first. If it isn't working out, then you go to the next phase, which are trades. The fact that Cashman asked and hasn't asked again, to me, says that his plan is to go for the free agents, but also to prep for a later dialog with KC for those pitchers if things aren't working out. It seems more like a backup plan for the Yankees at this point.

nyctalopia
11-17-05, 10:16 AM
I remember Affeldt mostly from that AWFUL series he had at Yankee stadium. The 5-run 9th inning come-back comes to mind.

Blokee
11-17-05, 10:19 AM
Affeldt has a great arm and serious stuff. If we bring him in he'd be a very good addition to the roster.

Dr. Gonzo
11-17-05, 10:29 AM
I would love this, especially if we could snag both somehow. They are looking to add payroll, maybe Pavano gets it done. They are young and talented though Affeldt is hurt constantly.
Why is everyone so quick to dump Carl, give him a shot. And for the crap you are willing to trade him for, where does this come from, do people think before they post. Maybe Pavano gets it done? He defiantley gets it done while they are laughing.

JeffWeaverFan
11-17-05, 12:48 PM
No way Pavano gets it done.

I like those two relievers, but don't want to give up what it would cost to get them. Lets just sign BJ Ryan and Kyle Farnsworth and the bullpen will be great.

mbn007
11-17-05, 12:53 PM
Affeldt has a great arm and serious stuff. If we bring him in he'd be a very good addition to the roster.

I would like to see him work with Guidry. They is a lot of a young Gator in Affeldt.

Iknowcool
11-17-05, 01:47 PM
Carl Pavano will win 18 games and nail down the no.2 spot next year.

JeffWeaverFan
11-17-05, 01:49 PM
Or maybe his shoulder will get a little sore and he'll decide to take few months off for vacation.

JMAN74
11-17-05, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking that Cashman, and the Yankees, main objective most years is to rather sign a free agent and engage in a trade. Free agents "only" cost money. To get Affeldt and/or MacDougal, you'd have to give up more young players who are far from arbitration. With Ryan, Wagner, Eyre, Gordon, and Farnsworth all available, your best bet is to try to play for them first. If it isn't working out, then you go to the next phase, which are trades. The fact that Cashman asked and hasn't asked again, to me, says that his plan is to go for the free agents, but also to prep for a later dialog with KC for those pitchers if things aren't working out. It seems more like a backup plan for the Yankees at this point.

Good analysis Ghost. Cash seems to be ultra pro-active and one of the best in the business at sending out 'feelers' . Its paid off in the past quite a few times.

JMAN74
11-17-05, 02:44 PM
No way Pavano gets it done.

I like those two relievers, but don't want to give up what it would cost to get them. Lets just sign BJ Ryan and Kyle Farnsworth and the bullpen will be great.

BJ is one of the biggest X-factors this offseason. He is an top level shutdown type and they dont grow on trees or are readily available. I belive the Wagner have no interest in the Yanks and/or setting up, otherwise Im amazed the Yanks wouldnt go after him. I think the Yanks desperately want a shutdown type for the 7-8th and BJ is the only feasible option w/o a trade right now. All the other guys Farnsworth,Wickman etc. are not the sure thing that BJ is ,and the few that have potential shutdown stuff are inconsistent.

Yankees13
11-17-05, 02:55 PM

:roflmao:
I'm amazed by what people see in this guy, there's honestly no chance he'll have an era lower than 4.3, or 4.4 or so. Because if you assume his 2004 somehow wasn't a fluke, when you add in all the different factors (league, park, division etc.) the era he would have would be 4.3 or so.

JDPNYY
11-17-05, 02:56 PM
By Spring Training, the Post will have learned that the Yankees have been interested in every player on Earth.

Enter_Sandman_42
11-17-05, 02:58 PM
hmm, these 2 guys wouldnt be bad options at all, they might come relatively cheap and MacDouglas has very good stuff, and Affeldt also does as well.

StatenIslandYankee
11-17-05, 03:05 PM
Or he'll get a hangnail and go on the 60 day DL.

Yanksagain
11-17-05, 03:16 PM
I'm all for getting either one of these RP's. Both have more upside than Tanyon.

OlgMvp
11-17-05, 03:31 PM
By Spring Training, the Post will have learned that the Yankees have been interested in every player on Earth.

Then let us pray, that Johnny Damon is the first baseball player in space...and that he accomplishes this before April.

32elston
11-17-05, 03:41 PM
LOL.....Is there anyone not rumored to become a Yankee that can afford an outfielder's glove or throw from the rubber? When does the thread about slow-pitch players start?

ryanthe13th
11-17-05, 03:43 PM
MacDougal was pretty valuable to my fantasy team.

27IsNext
11-17-05, 03:45 PM
More proof the Yankees need to develop prospect after prospect after prospect and fill the farm system to the brim with talent.

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-17-05, 03:55 PM
MacDougal was pretty valuable to my fantasy team.
Yes indeedy. I actually picked him up as a FA when Affeldt went down and he became their closer. He was pretty darn good, and snagging that many saves for free is just awesome. (I also got Huston Street in our auction for $1, so you can imagine how big a fan of him I am. God bless Dotel's elbow).

AMYanks
11-17-05, 04:03 PM
I'd be interested, but it depends on what we give up. Either one of those (or both) shouldn't demand a whole lot in return.

hlrjr
11-17-05, 04:35 PM
both players seem to have good upside. sounds interesting.

rlavera
11-17-05, 10:34 PM
I might not mind giving up Cano if they gave up Dejesus along with one or both of those relievers.

mbn007
11-18-05, 07:01 AM
More proof the Yankees need to develop prospect after prospect after prospect and fill the farm system to the brim with talent.
That is happening right now. The last 3 drafts were excellent. The lower levels are stocked, big time.

mbn007
11-18-05, 07:03 AM
I might not mind giving up Cano if they gave up Dejesus along with one or both of those relievers.
If they ever trade David Dejesus, they are crazy. He's the goods. He just needs some time.