PDA

View Full Version : Maxim ranks the 20 most annoying songs of all-time

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 11:41 AM
http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=6729 (http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=6729)

Take this for what it's worth, but I think some of what they said is funny, especially the stuff about R. Kelly.

The Most Annoying Songs Ever!
http://www.maximonline.com/shared_images/transparent.gif
We pay tribute to the top 20 tunes that make you realize hearing is a mixed blessing.

Maxim, October 2005

20. “Hey Baby” No Doubt
Never have the goings-on between a rock band and its groupies been so boring, largely because Gwen is less interested in hoochies than her tea (it’s chamomile, if you were wondering).
Low point: “Hey baby, hey baby, hey!” (Repeat 6,000 times.)

19. “We Like to Party!” Vengaboys
It would have been forgotten if not for a Six Flags commercial featuring a freaky dancing man that was more nauseating than any ad not for herpes medication.
Low point: “The wheels of steel are turning/And traffic lights are burning/ So if you like to party/Get on and move your body.”

18. “The Girl Is Mine” Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney
Spoken word bits are tricky, as Jacko’s duet with the cute Beatle proves. Let’s just say that when MJ comes across as the masculine one, something’s gone very, very wrong.
Low point: “Paul, I think I told you, I’m a lover not a fighter.”

17. “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” The Proclaimers
Scotland has given us many fine things (like golf, scotch, and Groundskeeper Willie), but that doesn’t excuse these twins for combining impenetrable dialect with nasal whine. Worse than haggis.
Low point: “DA DA DA DA DA!/DA DA DA DA DA!/Lika lika lika lika la, la, la.”

16. “This Kiss” Faith Hill
It’s a little bit country, a little bit rock’n’roll, and a whole lot of sh*t. A catchily mediocre love song achieves a special kind of awful when Tim McGraw’s hot wife tries to drop science. Stay away from the physics, Faith (at least until the Stephen Hawking mash-up).
Low point: “It’s centrifugal motion/It’s perpetual bliss/It’s that pivotal moment/It’s (ah) impossible/This kiss, this kiss—unstoppable.”

15. “Who Let the Dogs Out” Baha Men
The most famous group from the Bahamas gave us a song where the chant of “woof woof woof woof” is the least irritating part. Meanwhile, Jamaica produced Bob Marley and Peter Tosh.
Low point: “Get back, Ruffy/Bye, Scruffy/Get back, you flea-infested mongrel.”

14. “It’s a Small World” This proves that, no matter where people come from, they have something in common: We all despise this song. Thanks, Disney.
Low point: “It’s a small world, after all/It’s a small world, after all/It’s a small world, after all/It’s a small, small world.”

13. “Secret Garden (Jerry Maguire version)” Bruce Springsteen
If there’s a tune that can’t be ruined by Cuba Gooding Jr., we’ve yet to hear it.
Low point: Cuba: “You’ve got to be fair to her! She loves you. If you don’t love her, you have got to tell her!”

12. “Vertigo” U2
“Hello, hello (Hola!)” When you can make The Joshua Tree, you’re held to a higher standard. The only thing more baffling than the discovery that Bono speaks Spanish—kind of—was the realization that U2 absolutely adores this tune, using it to open and close shows. Be careful, boyos, lest ye go the way of R.E.M.
Low point: “Unos, dos, tres—catorce!”

11. “Nookie” Limp Bizkit
Fred Durst, quadruple threat: He can’t sing, rap, write lyrics, or even get a gym membership so he wouldn’t be such a load. A fantastic opening riff goes tragically to waste.
Low point: “Stick it up your yeah!/Stick it up your yeah!/Stick it up your yeah!”

10. “Pray” MC Hammer
You can’t smear feces on the Mona Lisa and call it art. Yet Hammer desecrates the brilliant “When Doves Cry.” Angered, the Lord smites him with bankruptcy.
Low point: “I tried and tried and tried and tried to make a way/But nothing happened till the day that I prayed.”

9. “Trapped in the Closet (Chapters 1–5)” R. Kelly
This epic shows the dark side of adultery. For if an accused pedophile does not uphold moral standards, who will?
Low point: “‘Oh, my goodness!/I’m about to climax’/ And I said, ‘Cool/ Climax/Just let go of my leg!’”

8. “Tom’s Diner” Suzanne Vega
Rhyming is hard! At least it is for Suzanne. Happily, she doesn’t let this stop her from capturing the thrills of sitting in a diner.
Low point: “I am waiting/At the counter/For the man/To pour the coffee.”

7. “With Arms Wide Open” Creed
Did you know when a man puts his penis in a woman’s vagina, they can make a baby? So does everyone else, but Scott Stapp drones on as if he were the first man ever to knock somebody up.
Low point: “We stand in awe/We’ve created life.”

6. “Electric Boogie” Marcia Griffiths
We’ll let Ms. Griffiths speak for herself:
“It’s electric!/Boogie woogie woogie/ Diggita Mrs. Kelly with the bubbling electric belly/She’s moving along with the electric/ She sure got the boogie!”
She sure does.

5. “Wannabe” Spice Girls
A second, far crappier British invasion happened in the ’90s, as the Spice Girls paid us back in spades for every joke we ever told about English dentistry.
Low point: “I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ah!”

4. “Wonderful Christmas Time” Paul McCartney
Could he really once have been a Beatle? Say what you will about Ringo, but at least Mr. Starr never ruined Jesus’ birthday.
Low point: “The choir of children sing their song/Ding, dong, ding, dong.”

3. “My Heart Will Go On” Celine Dion
The Titanic sinking cost some 1,500 people their lives. Celine hasn’t killed that many yet, but give her time. The second most tragic event to result from that fabled ocean liner continues to torment humanity years later, as Canada’s cruelest shows off a voice as loud as a sonic boom, though not nearly so pretty.
Low point: “Love was when I loved you/One true time I hold to.”

2. “Your Body Is a Wonderland” John Mayer
Rock’s biggest tool offers a mix of cheese (“You want love?/We’ll make it”) and outright stalking (“I know you’re mine/All mine/All mine”).
Low point: “One thing I’ve left to do/Discover me/ Discovering you.”

1. “HollaBack Girl” Gwen Stefani
The millennium is young, yet the next 1,000 years can’t possibly bring a more nerve-shredding tune. What begins as a pathetic school fight song (“So I’m ready to attack/Gonna lead the pack/Gonna get a touchdown/Gonna take you out!”) achieves a shrillness for the ages when Gwen shows off her ability to spell. Mrs. Rossdale, your song S-U-C-K-S.
Low point: “This sh*t is bananas…B-A-N-A-N-A-S.”

Tifoso
11-16-05, 11:43 AM
:lol:

#4 and #14 ABSOLUTELY :barf:

Nome
11-16-05, 11:55 AM
Now that we are in the Christmas season, I'll bet we hear about 1000 times, my favorite for worst song of all time, "The Little Drummer Boy". It must be almost 50 years old now and it is one of the most repeated songs of all time. UGH

Andy

SuperMario66
11-16-05, 12:00 PM
I don't agree with Your Body is a Wonderland. That was a damn good song. Also, how did MmmBop not make the list?

StaceyRosie
11-16-05, 12:03 PM
2. “Your Body Is a Wonderland” John Mayer
Rock’s biggest tool offers a mix of cheese (“You want love?/We’ll make it”) and outright stalking (“I know you’re mine/All mine/All mine”).
Low point: “One thing I’ve left to do/Discover me/ Discovering you.”

:roflmao:

Rock's biggest tool

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 12:04 PM
I don't agree with Your Body is a Wonderland. That was a damn good song. Also, how did MmmBop not make the list?

That's why I said "take it for what it's worth". I liked it more for its comedy than its accuracy.

Tifoso
11-16-05, 12:06 PM
Now that we are in the Christmas season, I'll bet we hear about 1000 times, my favorite for worst song of all time, "The Little Drummer Boy". It must be almost 50 years old now and it is one of the most repeated songs of all time. UGH

Andy

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

I love the Little Drummer Boy....the song, and the movie. I cry like a baby every single time I watch it (at the end) :o

NelsonMuntz
11-16-05, 12:15 PM
This is exactly what bothers me about magazines like Maxim. They rip on Limp Bizkit and Creed in this list yet I bet if you go back through issues of Maxim that came out around the same time that those bands were at the peak of their popularity, Maxim was probably jocking them big time. Now that it’s en vogue to bust on Limp Bizkit and Creed, suddenly Durst and Stapp and Co. are a bunch of clowns with no talent. Don’t get me wrong, I find those songs and those two bands extremely annoying, but I’ve been saying it since the first time I heard them. Maxim just writes what they think people want to hear based on the way the wind is blowing. They have zero credibility -- on any subject.

allybear
11-16-05, 12:19 PM
OMG, that is hysterical, and I like some of those songs! :lol:

Archer1979
11-16-05, 12:21 PM

We're getting old Ally. I bought a Gordon Lightfoot CD and a Dan Fogelberg CD over the weekend and my wife laughed at me and called me Gramps.

NelsonMuntz
11-16-05, 12:24 PM
I can think of a lot of songs worse than Tom's Diner. While it's not my favorite song, it certainly has no business being on this list.

wexy
11-16-05, 12:39 PM
I was looking for "Billy Don't Be A Hero" and "Playground of My Mind."

PeteRFNY
11-16-05, 12:50 PM
John Mayer could have made that list about three times..."tool" is too kind. I've taken to calling him "The Hoarse Whipserer". That's NOT singing!

Anyone who thinks "Wonderful Christamstime" or "The Little Drummer Boy" are the worst Christmas songs of all time have obviously not been exposed to "Do They Know It's Christmas" enough times yet. I know it was made for a good cause, but what a God-awful piece of crap that death dirge is.

Right around the time Bono trademark-croaks out the line, "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of yoooooooou......", I want to stab large knitting needles through both ears so I don't have to hear that thing anymore.

CoyoteYankee
11-16-05, 12:56 PM
I must admit that I like some of the songs on that list. I will not admit to which ones though! ;)

How is the Marcarena not on there? BTW, I really think that the Baha Men should be executed for unleashing (pun intended) that song on the world.

GiambiRocks
11-16-05, 12:57 PM
I love "Your Body is a Wonderland" ...it makes me smile.

PinstripePride
11-16-05, 01:02 PM
Weak. I never agree with lists like this. Although that might be because I always end up liking half the songs.

17. “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” The Proclaimers
7. “With Arms Wide Open” Creed

Those songs rock! ^ Come on!

And I agree with Misti. Any annoying song list without Mmmbop on it cannot be taken too seriously. :lol:

NelsonMuntz
11-16-05, 01:04 PM
BTW, I really think that the Baha Men should be executed for unleashing (pun intended) that song on the world.
And won a grammy for it. :barf:

Sam18
11-16-05, 01:24 PM
I most definitley agree with #1. The Bananas thing was just so bad.

CoyoteYankee
11-16-05, 01:44 PM
And won a grammy for it. :barf:

And became the rallying cry for the Mets! Double :barf:

yanksrule69
11-16-05, 01:54 PM
Mambo Number 5

penguin4
11-16-05, 02:01 PM
:-notfunny Wait... so *that's* what "Arms Wide Open" is about?? (I never really listened to the lyrics because I was too busy plugging my ears and watching all the Jesus symbolitry.)

GREAT list. Though I happen to be partial to "500 Miles" -- one of my guilty pleasures. But then again, I love Benny and Joon, so how can I hate it? And I can't bring myself to dis "Tom's Diner" -- not from one fellow alum to another.

So glad they inlcuded "Secret Garden" and then put in parentheses "(Jerry Maguire version)". Because the actual song isn't that bad; it's just when they insert all those stupid movie clips it becomes absolutely heinous. To make matters worse, Z100 seemed to love it. You wonder if Springsteen ever sued the guy/girl who had the bright idea to turn a perfectly okay song into such an ear-shattering travesty. They should've used the Rene Zellweger line where she says "I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be and I love him for the man he almost IS! I love him, Laurel! I *love* him!" Such an apt line for Tom Cruise. Haha.

CoyoteYankee
11-16-05, 02:05 PM
Don't Worry, Be Happy

BrooklynBotz
11-16-05, 02:16 PM
Whether you like or dislike U2 (I love them) I can't see how Vertigo has any place on this list. Especially with songs like Mambo #5, Macarana, most disco, etc not making the list.

OxDiesel
11-16-05, 02:42 PM
So glad they inlcuded "Secret Garden" and then put in parentheses "(Jerry Maguire version)". Because the actual song isn't that bad; it's just when they insert all those stupid movie clips it becomes absolutely heinous. To make matters worse, Z100 seemed to love it.

It was even better when they peppered "My Heart Will Go On" with lines from Titanic.
Talk about making the bad even worse... :eek:

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 02:45 PM
It was even better when they peppered "My Heart Will Go On" with lines from Titanic.

I love My Heart Will Go On. It's one of those songs that you switch off if you're in the car with somebody, but if you're alone......you sing at the top of your lungs. I didn't like the version they were playing on the radio with the lines from the film in it.....I mean, the verses almost echoed the movie, so you knew what was going on. Talk about milking the cash cow until it drops.

penguin4
11-16-05, 02:50 PM
:barf: Oh lord. I still remember all the lines. Right as the music swells before the coda, the dude cries out, "Oiceberg! Roight ahead!"

CoyoteYankee
11-16-05, 03:01 PM
:barf: Oh lord. I still remember all the lines. Right as the music swells before the coda, the dude cries out, "Oiceberg! Roight ahead!"

:lol: Me and my friends used to just shout that out at random times in that accent.

I'll never let go Jack. I'll never let go. (Never mind the fact that right after she says this she tosses his hand off the raft to save her ass).

RhodeyYankee2638
11-16-05, 03:01 PM
Whether you like or dislike U2 (I love them) I can't see how Vertigo has any place on this list. Especially with songs like Mambo #5, Macarana, most disco, etc not making the list.

Vertigo, what the hell is that song about. Random Spanish words thrown into a song, thats stupid

And John Mayer may be the biggest tool in the history of Rock

Trish
11-16-05, 03:10 PM
We're getting old Ally. I bought a Gordon Lightfoot CD and a Dan Fogelberg CD over the weekend and my wife laughed at me and called me Gramps.
Pussy...

MiamiKat
11-16-05, 03:12 PM
My vote is for "Seasons in the Sun", possibly the worst and most annoying song of all time.

Also, "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel. Nice try at copying REM, BJ!

(Yeah, I took out the slam I originally wrote on BJ...it was a bit gratuitous. :D )

fredgmuggs
11-16-05, 03:18 PM
Have you ever heard those dogs barking Jingle Bells? I know it's suppose to be a joke song but that has to be the most annoying thing I've ever heard in my life. I heard it only once... but luckily I stopped listening to it just in time before my head exploded like the Martians from "Mars Attack".

From the actual list.... It's a Small World runs a close second. I remember having to sing that awful song for some 3rd grade assembly and I've never been the same since. Maybe I can sue Disney?

penguin4
11-16-05, 03:26 PM
Have you ever heard those dogs barking Jingle Bells? I know it's suppose to be a joke song but that has to be the most annoying thing I've ever heard in my life. I heard it only once... but luckily I stopped listening to it just in time before my head exploded like the Martians from "Mars Attack".

Ha, I could probably rattle off a whole page just of Christmas songs. But that most of them are annoying goes without saying.

Archer1979
11-16-05, 03:32 PM
Pussy...

I really should think before I post, shouldn't I?

Trish
11-16-05, 03:34 PM
I really should think before I post, shouldn't I?
I'm starting my own "naaah" file on you.

Didn't Dennis Leary do a bit on how Dan Fogelberg made him into a pussy in the 70s? That was what spurred that comment:lol: Plus the fact that, well, the phrase fits.

dabomb2045
11-16-05, 04:01 PM

I kinda like John Mayer as well...I certainly wouldnt rank him on any list like this

Who Let the Dogs Out gets my vote

HipHipJorge
11-16-05, 04:10 PM
The millennium is young, yet the next 1,000 years can’t possibly bring a more nerve-shredding tune. What begins as a pathetic school fight song (“So I’m ready to attack/Gonna lead the pack/Gonna get a touchdown/Gonna take you out!”) achieves a shrillness for the ages when Gwen shows off her ability to spell. Mrs. Rossdale, your song S-U-C-K-S.

Damn, I know this song is bad but I still love it. And their low point is my favorite part of the song! :o

Evil Empire
11-16-05, 04:18 PM
I like number 4. I even like Vertigo.

penguin4
11-16-05, 04:18 PM
Damn, I know this song is bad but I still love it. And their low point is my favorite part of the song! :o
http://www.wordupthome.com/diamondkings/DK12.html:cool:

YankeePride1967
11-16-05, 04:37 PM
My top two are the Celine Dion Titanic abonimation (the boat freaking sank, get over it already). And Whitney Houston's "And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always Love You" Argh.

DkNNy79
11-16-05, 04:54 PM
My top two are the Celine Dion Titanic abonimation (the boat freaking sank, get over it already). And Whitney Houston's "And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always Love You" Argh.

I love BOTH of these songs. Yes, I'm a big softie.

DkNNy79
11-16-05, 04:55 PM
Mambo Number 5

and the Macarena? :barf:

Kudo
11-16-05, 04:59 PM
I dont know if anyone else has read about it but apperantly A-Rod is responsible for letting the dogs out.

When Alex Rodriguez played for the M's (1994-2000), he unintentionally started the "Who Let the Dogs Out" craze. The Mariners originally played the song for catcher Joe Oliver when he came to the plate. The music people played it randomly and almost jokingly because they thought it was a funny song. A-Rod heard it and called up to the booth a couple innings later and said "Joe doesn't like that song, but I do, play it for me. It has a kind of Miami feel to it. I like it."

So, they did, and then it caught on, and the rest is history. So, if you hate that song, you can technically blame A-Rod for letting the dogs out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=songs/mariners

Evil Empire
11-16-05, 05:02 PM
Okay, so now we can officially talk about how bad Arod was in the postseason....

LMAO ;)

YankeePride1967
11-16-05, 05:04 PM
I dont know if anyone else has read about it but apperantly A-Rod is responsible for letting the dogs out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=songs/mariners

Great, now more ammo for the A-Rod bashers! ;)

JfromJersey
11-16-05, 05:24 PM
Anything by Alvin and the Chipmunks (I hate novelty songs).

Also guaranteed to induce vomiting as far as I'm concerned:

Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung
Muskrat Love - Captain and Tenille
Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
We Built This City - Starship (this one makes a lot of lists)
How am I Supposed to Live Without You - Bolton
Sussudio - Phil Collins (makes me cringe everytime I hear it)
American Pie - Don McLean ( I don't know why but I hate this song)

smr15
11-16-05, 06:18 PM
How can they create a list that doesn't have:

"I think I Love You" - by the Patridge Family.

"...believe me, you really don't have to worry, I only want to make you happy, and if you say "hey, go away", I will....."

Oy.

Thems BAD lyrics....

Sam18
11-16-05, 06:29 PM
I like number 4. I even like Vertigo.

Its sooooo brite in here...

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 06:38 PM
Its sooooo brite in here...

Actually, I read in Rolling Stone an interview Bono did with Jann Wenner and he has an acute condition that causes his eyes to be very sensitive to light, and that's why he's always wearing tinted lenses or sunglasses.

So, it's not because he's a pretentious a-hole, because I really don't think he is. He's one of the few good guys in the music business.

Casey37
11-16-05, 06:39 PM
Clearly whoever compiled this list has obviously never heard of "Feelings" and "Disco Duck" :barf:

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 06:40 PM
Clearly whoever compiled this list has obviously never heard of "Feelings" and "Disco Duck" :barf:

This list was never meant to be definitive. This kind of stuff, much like the Blender list, is purely subjective. I just thought some of the commentary about the songs were funny.

Casey37
11-16-05, 06:43 PM
I just thought some of the commentary about the songs were funny.

That I agree with.

Sam18
11-16-05, 06:50 PM
Actually, I read in Rolling Stone an interview Bono did with Jann Wenner and he has an acute condition that causes his eyes to be very sensitive to light, and that's why he's always wearing tinted lenses or sunglasses.

So, it's not because he's a pretentious a-hole, because I really don't think he is. He's one of the few good guys in the music business.

:lol: I wasn't talking about Bono's sunglasses.

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 06:54 PM
:lol: I wasn't talking about Bono's sunglasses.

Silly me, I thought you were slamming him (like most people do) for constantly wearing shades.

Tifoso
11-16-05, 06:57 PM
Silly me, I thought you were slamming him (like most people do) for constantly wearing shades.

You OK, amica mia? You seem a tad touchy today (could be the lack of smileys in your responses, though).

Sam18
11-16-05, 06:58 PM

Oh no. I don't have a problem with Bono or U2 like others have. I was just joking with EE.

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 06:58 PM
You OK, amica mia? You seem a tad touchy today (could be the lack of smileys in your responses, though).

Nah, I'm fine.

It's just I wanted to impart some knowledge that I learned.......das all. :)

Sam18
11-16-05, 06:59 PM

Are you implying its that time of the month when smilies aren't used?

Evil Empire
11-16-05, 06:59 PM

Disco Duck is a great American song.

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 07:00 PM

Excuse you.

Sam18
Excuse me?

I kid, I kid.

Evil Empire

Icksnay on the monthspay.

Sam18
11-16-05, 07:01 PM
Icksnay on the monthspay.

I learned my lesson.

Evil Empire
11-16-05, 07:02 PM
I learned my lesson.

Tifoso
11-16-05, 07:03 PM
Nah, I'm fine.

It's just I wanted to impart some knowledge that I learned.......das all. :)

I'm glad you're OK. :)

Sam2448
11-16-05, 07:05 PM
Gah It's A Small World. And Who Let the Dogs Out. Those songs will never leave my head now. It's going to drive me insane.

I love U2, and even though I don't like Vertigo, there have been a lot worse songs.

And I love Secret Garden.

Also, John Mayer is an awesome blues guitarist. Live he can put on a show, great talent. Too bad his studio stuff is all commercial crap like Your Body is a Wonderland though.

And We Built This City needs to be on this list. It makes every list like this. Jefferson Airplane was really awesome, but Jefferson Starship and this song...

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 07:08 PM
Gah It's A Small World. And Who Let the Dogs Out. Those songs will never leave my head now. It's going to drive me insane.

I love U2, and even though I don't like Vertigo, there have been a lot worse songs.

And I love Secret Garden.

Also, John Mayer is an awesome blues guitarist. Live he can put on a show, great talent. Too bad his studio stuff is all commercial crap like Your Body is a Wonderland though.

And We Built This City needs to be on this list. It makes every list like this. Jefferson Airplane was really awesome, but Jefferson Starship and this song...

Jefferson Starship was an embarassment.

Tifoso
11-16-05, 07:11 PM
Jefferson Starship was an embarassment.

I kinda liked them :o

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 07:13 PM
I kinda liked them :o

Oh Lou. Poor misguided Lou. It's the Airplane or it's nothing. Starship sucked day-old ass.

Tifoso
11-16-05, 07:29 PM
Oh Lou. Poor misguided Lou. It's the Airplane or it's nothing. Starship sucked day-old ass.

Which was "Built this City"?

Casey37
11-16-05, 08:13 PM
Disco Duck is a great American song.

I don't know about that... :(

YankeePride1967
11-16-05, 08:16 PM
It's getting hot in here, let's take off all our clothes!

montrealer
11-16-05, 08:17 PM
Tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree.

Achy Break....................................

YankeePride1967
11-16-05, 08:23 PM
bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove the Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry
and good ol boys are drinking whiskey and rye singing this'll be the day that I die.

Funny I love the rest of the song but cannot stand the chorus.

Archer1979
11-16-05, 08:47 PM
bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove the Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry
and good ol boys are drinking whiskey and rye singing this'll be the day that I die.

Funny I love the rest of the song but cannot stand the chorus.

I sang the song to my kids every night before bedtime. That's a great song!

CoyoteYankee
11-16-05, 08:49 PM
I sang the song to my kids every night before bedtime. That's a great song!

It's not a great song, it's a fantastic song! I have to go download it onto my iPod now.

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 09:51 PM

Starship.

yankeesAZ
11-16-05, 10:50 PM

Starship.

Nothing like a traffic copter report in the middle of your song!

NYYBombshell
11-16-05, 11:12 PM
Nothing like a traffic copter report in the middle of your song!

That was the lamest f*cking thing..........excuse me, but you were the band that did "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love"......where's the rock cred?!

Ugh, that song makes we want to jab ice picks into my temples every time it comes on.

PeteRFNY
11-16-05, 11:27 PM
I forgot to mention the whole Barry Manilow catalog. And "If" by Bread. Ay yi yi.

BTW a while ago, when I decided I wanted to be really annoying for no reason, I started singing things I wanted to say the way John Mayer sings. All annoying and whispery. I would do that until it became unbearable to those around me (like the actual John meyer, pretty much) and someone started throwing things at me.

I finally stopped when Mayer stopped being unexplicably popular, and because the projectile wounds were starting to become a hinderance to thought.

Also BTW - that's not a traffic report in "We Built This City"...that's a DJ talking like he was on the radio. Since DJs barely do that anymore, I'm not surprised no one got that. Anyway, the guy on the record was Shadoe Stevens, who was big out in LA at the time. They distributed to stations without him on it so they could insert thier "big name jock" there instead of Shadoe. I guess automated stations put an answering machine in there or something.

None of that fun fact makes it a better song, however.

BTW part III: Bono's sunglasses isn't what I find grating (hell, even the late, great Roy Orbison wore sunglasses all the time for the same reason). It's that chest-heaving-over-emotion singing style. Sometimes it borders on severe constipation and intestinal distress, like a guy with a distented bowel.

Rich
11-16-05, 11:37 PM

Two putridly annoying choices.

BillBuckner
11-17-05, 12:18 AM

So I wasnt alone thinking this song absolutely sucked. Sooo true.

Kulish29
11-17-05, 12:31 AM
A-frickin-men! Congrats to the editors for picking Holla back girl #1. Dumbest f*cking song EVER!

Archer1979
11-17-05, 12:43 AM
I forgot to mention the whole Barry Manilow catalog. And "If" by Bread. Ay yi yi.

They may be grating, but it's great parking music.

Trish
11-17-05, 06:11 AM
Pu...

Naaaaah.

Archer1979
11-17-05, 06:40 AM
Pu...

Naaaaah.

That's the general idea. :evil:

allybear
11-17-05, 07:48 AM

OOH yes, and don't forget "Seasons in the Sun". My goodness, there was some really really bad music in the 70's!

allybear
11-17-05, 07:51 AM
My top two are the Celine Dion Titanic abonimation (the boat freaking sank, get over it already). .
That's what JP always says!!! :lol:

And Whitney Houston's "And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always Love You" Argh.

Sorry - bigtime guilty pleasure - brings back memories of great personal drama of the early 90's (even though obviously I didn't always love him, LOL).

allybear
11-17-05, 07:54 AM
Anything by Alvin and the Chipmunks (I hate novelty songs).

Also guaranteed to induce vomiting as far as I'm concerned:

Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung
Muskrat Love - Captain and Tenille
Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
American Pie - Don McLean ( I don't know why but I hate this song)

I don't mind "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" or "American Pie", but:

Honey - Bobby Goldsboro

I 100% agree on!!!! "Muskrat Love" reminds me of a friend of mine getting stoned during the school day and singing it in drama class, so it just makes me laugh every time I hear it.

PeteRFNY
11-17-05, 08:36 AM

Parking what? A Hearse? ;)

allybear
11-17-05, 09:37 AM

No - what happens is Archer pulls into Lover's Lane with Barry Manilow blasting and the girl agrees to do anything he wants as long as he turns that @&(*% off!!! :lol:

Archer1979
11-17-05, 09:40 AM

That has a lot of possibilities, what with all the legroom in the back.

No - what happens is Archer pulls into Lover's Lane with Barry Manilow blasting and the girl agrees to do anything he wants as long as he turns that @&(*% off!!! :lol:

That, a fifth of Schnapps and a pocketful of twenties.

DJSANGEL
11-17-05, 01:00 PM
How did any song by Huey Lewis not make this list????.......

He's just annoying ......PERIOD!!!

FreeYayo
11-17-05, 01:55 PM

I wanted to stick a fork in my eye every time I heard vertigo.

Trish
11-17-05, 02:24 PM
Why not...

"Abra, abracadabra, I wanna reach out and grab ya!"

What a dopey ass song...

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 02:44 PM
Why not...

"Abra, abracadabra, I wanna reach out and grab ya!"

What a dopey ass song...

Steve Miller had much better stuff in the 70s. All those drugs f*cked with his brain and caused him to write crap like "Abracadabra".

Jace
11-17-05, 03:52 PM

That Michael Bolton song is one of the funniest songs ever. He goes absolutely nuts in it. Plus SNL did a really good parody of it.

Sussudio is one of those Phil Collins/Generation (thats not the name of his band from the 80s-90s or w/e but its close) songs that just sounds so cheap and tinny. Paperlate is another one, they are like the same song.

What is it about top 10/20/50 lists that draws you to them? And then causes you to immediately dismiss them as retarded afterwards and get mad at yourself for the time you wasted reading them? They should do a top 20 list of lists, seriously it would be so hard to not read at the same time as being the biggest waste of time ever.

Edit: and there is definitely a direct correlation between how often something is/was played an how annoying of a song it is. MacArthur Park would be by far the worst song of all time if it was played often, and these lists are always dominated by recent songs anyway.

Jace
11-17-05, 03:57 PM

Oh man that Gordon Lightfoot song that I don't really know the words to is back in my head...

Eeeevery highway... something... slip away, slip away from me.

Trish
11-17-05, 04:00 PM
Oh man that Gordon Lightfoot song that I don't really know the words to is back in my head...

Carefree Highway.

JfromJersey
11-17-05, 04:37 PM
Edit: and there is definitely a direct correlation between how often something is/was played an how annoying of a song it is. MacArthur Park would be by far the worst song of all time if it was played often, and these lists are always dominated by recent songs anyway.

MacArthur Park is melting in the dark. All the sweet green icing flowing down. Someone left a cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it, cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again. Oh..Nooo!

Here are 2 more for you..

Karma Chameleon -totally lame
Your Having My Baby - what possessed Paul Anka to write such an insipid song?

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 04:40 PM
MacArthur Park is melting in the dark. All the sweet green icing flowing down. Someone left a cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it, cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again. Oh..Nooo!

Here are 2 more for you..

Karma Chameleon -totally lame
Your Having My Baby - what possessed Paul Anka to write such an insipid song?

You're Having My Baby - never heard it

Karma Chameleon - Completely agree

mr. baskums
11-17-05, 04:55 PM

Geezus, I just projectiled my soda :lol:

mr. baskums
11-17-05, 04:58 PM
Anything by The Cars, they are horribly bad. And Bette Midler, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, and The Carpenters.

And toss in Elton John after the album Yellow Brick Road, he sucks too.

Casey37
11-17-05, 05:10 PM
Two putridly annoying choices.

Putrid is right. And from that same period, how could we leave out “You Light Up My Life” ?

I really don’t know which was worse, the song or the movie.

Archer1979
11-17-05, 05:15 PM

What can I say?

I had "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" in my head over the weekend. I needed to buy it.

Trish
11-17-05, 05:54 PM
Anything by The Cars, they are horribly bad. And Bette Midler, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, and The Carpenters.

And toss in Elton John after the album Yellow Brick Road, he sucks too.
I'm a closet Carpenters fan. I guess I'm out of the closet now though :eek:

I like Elton John's "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" album. Nothing really after that though.

Casey37
11-17-05, 05:59 PM

I hope the Gordon Lightfoot CD includes "Beautiful". His most moving song ever, at least IMO.

JfromJersey
11-17-05, 08:06 PM
You're Having My Baby - never heard it

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/misscongeniality2/yourehavingmybaby.htm

penguin4
11-17-05, 09:49 PM
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/misscongeniality2/yourehavingmybaby.htm
Scary I remember this, but the way I know that song is it's the one Uncle Jessi was singing in the delivery room on Full House when Becky had the twins. (My family taped the episode when it was first on and I watched it quite a few times so I probably had every line memorized...)

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
11-17-05, 11:15 PM
Gwen Stefani's music/voice/everything gets on my nerves. Therefore, I agree with her multiple contributions to this list. U2 and Creed have produced more than 1 song each that could go on this list. Both of those bands grate on me like none other since Springsteen. :barf:

Dooley Womack
11-17-05, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised that "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates (Brand New Key)" hasn't been mentioned. "Disco Duck" and "99 Luftballoons" are f'n awful too.

montrealer
11-18-05, 02:09 PM
"Put the Lime in the Coconut"

NYYBombshell
11-18-05, 02:14 PM

"and you drink 'em both up"

:barf:

montrealer
11-18-05, 02:23 PM
"and you drink 'em both up"

:barf:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Take the daggers out AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoyoteYankee
11-18-05, 04:32 PM

I had finally managed to scrub this song from my memory for a few months and you had to go and bring it back up again! :enraged:

Evil Empire
11-18-05, 04:36 PM
...and mix it all up!

Dooley Womack
11-18-05, 08:42 PM
Am I original?
Yeah yeah
Am I the only one?
Yeah yeah
Am I sexual?
Yeah yeah
Am I everything you need?
You better rock your body now

Everybody yeah yeah
Rock your body yeah yeah
Everybody
Rock your body right
Backstreet's back alright

YankeePride1967
11-18-05, 08:45 PM
IF I had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

hardrain
11-18-05, 09:06 PM
The is no way that Suzanne Vega belongs on this list. Tom's Diner is a great song --- the woman is deep in thought about the ghosts who haunt her consciousness and her revery is juxtaposed against the common everyday movements in the diner. It's a beautiful song...so there

Archer1979
11-18-05, 09:15 PM
The is no way that Suzanne Vega belongs on this list. Tom's Diner is a great song --- the woman is deep in thought about the ghosts who haunt her consciousness and her revery is juxtaposed against the common everyday movements in the diner. It's a beautiful song...so there

...and at that point, everyone stared at hardrain in awkward silence...

hardrain
11-18-05, 09:19 PM
...and at that point, everyone stared at hardrain in awkward silence...

Cmon Arch....Vega is one of those mysteriously, poetic, heady types....
I love her!

Archer1979
11-18-05, 09:20 PM
Cmon Arch....Vega is one of those mysteriously, poetic, heady types....
I love her!

Take a wild guess which adjective of yours to describe her that I just can't get past...

hardrain
11-18-05, 09:22 PM
Take a wild guess which adjective of yours to describe her that I just can't get past...

hahahahaha...well, I am going to put some Vega on and drift off to sleep now...
over and out

Archer1979
11-18-05, 09:24 PM
hahahahaha...well, I am going to put some Vega on and drift off to sleep now...
over and out

I'm really not one to talk... I've been listening to Dan Fogelberg all week.

hardrain
11-18-05, 09:27 PM

Well I downloaded the theme song to the Patty Duke TV show. Can't get enough of it.

Meet Cathy, who's lived most everywhere,
From Zanzibar to Barclay Square.
But Patty's only seen the sights
A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights --
What a crazy pair!

But they're cousins,
Identical cousins all the way.
One pair of matching bookends,
Different as night and day.

Where Cathy adores a minuet,
The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,
Our Patty loves to rock and roll,
The Hot Dogs make her lose control --
What a wild duet!

Still, they're cousins,
Identical cousins and you'll find,
They laugh alike, they walk alike,
At times they even talk alike --

You can lose your mind,
When cousins are two of a kind.

Archer1979
11-18-05, 09:29 PM
Well I downloaded the theme song to the Patty Duke TV show. Can't get enough of it.

Try this one to jolt your "Y" chromosome back into place:

The end of the Civil War was near
When quite accidentally,
A hero who sneezed abruptly seized
Retreat and reversed it to victory.

His medal of honor pleased and thrilled
his proud little family group.
While pinning it on some blood was spilled
And so it was planned he'd command F Troop.

Where Indian fights are colorful sights
and nobody takes a lickin'
Where pale face and redskin
Both turn chicken.

When killing and fighting get them down,
They know their morale can't droop.
As long as they all relax in town
Before they resume with a bang and a boom
F Troop.

hardrain
11-18-05, 09:31 PM
F TROOP - good man. loved that show.

and these guys too:

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum
Where people come to see 'em
They really are a scream
The Addams Family.

(Neat)
(Sweet)
(Petite)

So get a witches shawl on
A broomstick you can crawl on
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

Archer1979
11-18-05, 09:36 PM

and these guys too:

Ha! Great. I've got them on my Halloween Hits CD that I just took out of the van. The kids loved it (along with Monster Mash, Purple People Eater, and Ghostbusters).

They also love this one in the tub while playing with their toy boats:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip.
That started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day,
for a three hour tour, a three hour tour………
The weather started getting rough,
the tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
the Minnow would be lost; the Minnow would be lost.
The ship took ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,
with Gilligan, the Skipper too,
the Millionaire, and his Wife,
the Movie Star, the Professor and Mary Ann,
here on Gilligan's Isle.

JDPNYY
11-18-05, 09:38 PM

and these guys too:

Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum
Where people come to see 'em
They really are a scream
The Addams Family.

(Neat)
(Sweet)
(Petite)

So get a witches shawl on
A broomstick you can crawl on
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

It's Pettitte. Sheesh, can't anyone spell it correctly?

NYYBombshell
11-18-05, 11:50 PM
Am I original?
Yeah yeah
Am I the only one?
Yeah yeah
Am I sexual?
Yeah yeah
Am I everything you need?
You better rock your body now

Everybody yeah yeah
Rock your body yeah yeah
Everybody
Rock your body right
Backstreet's back alright

Oh Dooley. Why oh why did you unleash the primordial ooze that is BSB on this thread?

Damn you to hell!

NYYBombshell
11-18-05, 11:52 PM

The only song of Vega's that meant anything was "My Name is Luka" which dealt with child abuse.

penguin4
11-19-05, 02:12 AM
Having been to Tom's Diner quite often in my four years at school, I can't possibly hate that song. Yay Barnard alum.

Trish
11-19-05, 06:49 AM
Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean
Higher than every bird ever flew...

Pussy. :P

Archer1979
11-19-05, 07:48 AM
Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean
Higher than every bird ever flew...

Pussy. :P

Here's a verse from the best song on the album:

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I’m just a living legacy
To the leader of the band.

Trish
11-19-05, 07:49 AM
Here's a verse from the best song on the album:

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I’m just a living legacy
To the leader of the band.
Oh don't get me wrong. I was a big Dan Fogelberg fan back in the day. But I was, you know, a girl.

Archer1979
11-19-05, 07:55 AM
Oh don't get me wrong. I was a big Dan Fogelberg fan back in the day. But I was, you know, a girl.

I'm just in touch with my feminine side.

Right now, she's downstairs making me breakfast.

Trish
11-19-05, 08:00 AM
I'm just in touch with my feminine side.

Right now, she's downstairs making me breakfast.
What a good little wifey.

I just sent my husband out to work a side job on his weekend :D

Snap731
11-19-05, 09:29 PM
I don't agree with Your Body is a Wonderland. That was a damn good song.

I was going to say something nasty about how much I freaking hate that song but now I'm scared to mention how annoying it is because I might hurt your soft sensitive wuss-rock feelings.

NYYBombshell
11-19-05, 11:18 PM
I was going to say something nasty about how much I freaking hate that song but now I'm scared to mention how annoying it is because I might hurt your soft sensitive wuss-rock feelings.

Well, she is a girl and I know plenty of girls who swoon over that song because they want a guy to talk to them like that. I like the song, but I wouldn't call it annoying.

It might be annoying if you're single, though.

hellonewman
11-20-05, 12:03 AM
1. Everyone's Free to Wear Sunscreen
2. Bread and Butter ("I like bread and butter, I like toast and jam ..." :barf: )
3. I Honestly Love You (Olivia Newton-John)
4. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
5. I may be the only one, but I LOATHE "Talkin' Baseball" by Terry Cashman. I don't know if it's his flat, wimpy voice or the sycophantic lyrics, but that song makes my skin crawl.

penguin4
11-20-05, 12:20 AM
Don't feel bad. This is the same girl who considers Hanson her favorite band. (No offense, Misti -- we love ya and all.... but you're in Chicago right now and can't fight back.:):P)

KENMonteSS86
03-03-06, 01:34 PM
How did any song by Huey Lewis not make this list????.......

He's just annoying ......PERIOD!!!

HA, HA, HA...........

Funny, REAL funny.........