PDA

View Full Version : Is there a role for Garciaparra on the Yankees?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

CaptainThurman
11-12-05, 10:33 AM
I remember all the commentary of a few years ago, when the debate about the best SS in baseball was between Garciaparra, Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

It would appear his value has dropped a bit, but he still has quite a bit of pop in his bat. And he's the kind of athlete that makes me think he can handle 2B, 1B, or an outfield position as well as the left side of the infield.

Would adding him to the roster poke the Red Sox in the eye? Anybody think this would be a good move?

YankeeStripes
11-12-05, 10:39 AM
he could be a decent DH. if they could get him cheap.

Seamonk
11-12-05, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure.

Do we have a slot open on the 60 Day DL?

;)

Sierra Mist
11-12-05, 10:43 AM
didnt one of our bat boys quit to go to college???

surge511
11-12-05, 11:00 AM
If he were willing to play 1B and DH and sign a 1 or 2 year deal then yes, I guess we could take him. However, if he would command a big deal at all, I would not do it. So unless the demands were very low, I would not touch him.

NewEraYanks2527
11-12-05, 11:13 AM
No, not if it costs too many years and too much money.

mr. baskums
11-12-05, 12:23 PM
The Yankees don't need another SS. Where would you put him?

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-12-05, 12:31 PM
We should sign Nomar, Furcal and Lugo and go for the all short stop team

Mattpat11
11-12-05, 12:33 PM
No.

God forbid someone insults his dog or something. He would pout on the dugout steps for two weeks.

NewEraYanks2527
11-12-05, 12:38 PM
No.

God forbid someone insults his dog or something. He would pout on the dugout steps for two weeks.
Or sit on the bench like he is bored during one of the most excitings games anyone has ever been a part of.

Mattpat11
11-12-05, 12:43 PM
Or sit on the bench like he is bored during one of the most excitings games anyone has ever been a part of. He wasn't bored. He was flat out pouting.

That was easily the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen a pro athlete do that was completely ignnored by the media.

I want no part of Nomar.

Yankeeah
11-12-05, 12:43 PM
Quite simply, no, there is not.

drjeckyl
11-12-05, 12:56 PM
I remember all the commentary of a few years ago, when the debate about the best SS in baseball was between Garciaparra, Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

It would appear his value has dropped a bit, but he still has quite a bit of pop in his bat. And he's the kind of athlete that makes me think he can handle 2B, 1B, or an outfield position as well as the left side of the infield.

Would adding him to the roster poke the Red Sox in the eye? Anybody think this would be a good move?

Those days are long gone and I doubt that it would get the effect that you're looking for. I think of think they would laugh at us instead. Yes, he is a good athlete and could adjust to playing another position. But, I don't think CF would be one of them because he's had leg injuries over that past couple of years. I couldn't imagine him covering CF in YS. Besides, he won't come cheap enough, is injury prone, and comes with too much baggage for this to be a good idea.

FYI, Arn Tellum is his agent too.

Babe Rules
11-12-05, 01:16 PM
I'd pass.

brosiusbuddy
11-12-05, 01:26 PM
Can he play the organ?

Sam18
11-12-05, 01:49 PM
No.

1. There's no need for him.
2. He sucks.
3. He's gonna cost money.
4. He's injured too much.
5. There's no room.
6. The media backlash we'd recieve from having all three of those SS's.
7. His best days are behind him.

pedromartinezfan
11-12-05, 01:57 PM
If he's healthy, any team can make room for a guy with a .306 EqA.

Its just that nobody ever knows when or if he will be healthy.

DaddyYankee279
11-12-05, 01:59 PM
Couldn't said it better myself, Cashman is tyring to trim the payrole not put over the roof by signing players like Garciaparra.The infield doesn't anymore help it's better for Cashman to set on the main problems he has now which is center and the bullpen.

No.

2. He sucks.
5. There's no room.

DiMaggio5CF
11-12-05, 02:38 PM
If he's healthy; willing and able to move to 1B, 2B, CF, or be the everyday DH; and willing to sign a short-term, low money deal with lots of incentives and options, then sure.

However, 551 at-bats in the last two years combined doesn't make me think he's healthy.

I don't think it would be smart to have him play the infield because I don't think he'd be a great first baseman (not really based on anything solid) and he was a horrible defensive SS so there's no reason to think he'd be much better at 2B (and even if he is better at 2B, how sure can we be that Robinson Cano could move to the outfield?).

And as far as center field goes, even if he can play a decent OF, he won't provide a spectacular glove, which is what I think the majority agrees that we need out there.

So DH would be the only place to put him.

And don't do it to get back at the Red Sox. They traded his ass and all it brought them was their first World Series Championship in 86 years. Anthony is old news to them.

rivera,s cutter
11-12-05, 02:43 PM
No.

2. He sucks.
5. There's no room.
7. His best days are behind him.totally agree with every point you made!

Looie #19
11-12-05, 03:46 PM
It would appear his value has dropped a bit

What do you base this on?

destro
11-12-05, 04:12 PM
there's no use for him on this team, if we still needed a 2b it may be a reasonable consideration, but we dont.

CaptainThurman
11-12-05, 04:22 PM
What do you base this on?

Well, a few years ago, he was in the same financial league with A-Rod and Jeter. Now, he's been bounced by the Red Sox and Cubs, he has an injury (and pouting) history, and I just found out by re-reading this thread that Arn Tellem is his agent! Ugh!

I think someone can sign him for an incentive-laden deal, but I don't necessarily think it sould be the Yankees.

On the other hand, if Cashman wants to open the checkbook just a little bit this winter, I would love to see him get Ausmus as the back-up catcher. I say back-up only because the Yankees want to desperately avoid having Posada's ridiculous 2007 option vest at $12 million, so they'll need a "back-up" catcher who can start 100 games.....

Looie #19
11-12-05, 04:57 PM
No, I mean how do you figure his value has dropped only a bit? I think any team would be dumb to give many guaranteed dollars to him, and I'd bet good money that he wouldn't be willing to take an incentive-based contract.

Mystic Merlyn
11-12-05, 05:06 PM
Well, this forum has lost all credibility.....back to ITL.

JeffWeaverFan
11-12-05, 05:06 PM
The only way is if he could play one of the corner outfield positions. He and Sheff would then switch playing the outfield and DHing and occasionally Matsui can DH. But, pretty much no.

Iknowcool
11-12-05, 05:07 PM
The media backlash? Since when did George give a darn about the media?

Sam18
11-12-05, 05:13 PM
The media backlash? Since when did George give a darn about the media?

I wasn't talking about George. I was talking about the negatives of having Nomar on the Yankees.

Irabu's Son
11-12-05, 05:24 PM
I love the idea of him at 1B.

Rich
11-12-05, 05:26 PM
He made over $8 mil last year. It's hard to believe that he would accept a significant cut in pay.

As a result, no.

bostonyankeefan
11-12-05, 05:27 PM
No.

2. He sucks.
5. There's no room.

I agree with all but #2 and #5. If healthy, he is a very good hitter who performs well in the clutch. If he would DH and play back-up infield, he could be very helpful. He will probably cost too much though.

ppa79
11-12-05, 07:07 PM
Who would have thought back in 1998, that the Yankees would have a chance to have Jeter, Nomar, and A-rod.

Anyways, back to the original question. I don't want him

surge511
11-12-05, 09:31 PM
If he is going to make more than 5 mill a year for any more than 2 years, it is not worth it. Otherwise, he could DH primarily and play 1B maybe and be a great offensive transition to Duncan next year. Also, Nomar would be a great insurance policy for any starter that goes down. He could play any infield position, and maybe even OF in a pinch. If he were willing to come for a paycut, then I would take a flyer on him.

Given2Fly8
11-13-05, 04:40 AM

The A-Rod switch worked, but I think it's a bad idea to continue signing players and teaching them new positions just to plug holes. It will only exacerbate the problems on defense. With that in mind, there are cheaper options for a backup SS or part-time DH so I don't see any need for him.

Johnny O
11-13-05, 10:01 AM
Nomar isn't even close to being the same offensive player as he was in 2000, and it's not just the injuries. He skill set suggested a rapid decline - he relied heavily on bat speed and was never a selective hitter (his career OBP of .367 is the results of a .320 career BA, and that number was largely from his two monster seasons in 1999-2000). And he's not a good defender.

yankoholics anonymous
11-13-05, 02:25 PM
The hell with numbers and stats. If it means having Mia Hamm 80 games a year at the Stadium I am all for it.

Fabien Brandy
11-13-05, 03:52 PM
If it means having Mia Hamm 80 games a year at the Stadium I am all for it.
If you were the blind guy I accidently bumped into in the Yankee Stadium beer line, sorry again about that.

ExcuseMeSir
11-13-05, 05:09 PM
Can he play centerfield? :D

yankees76
11-13-05, 06:19 PM
If the Yankees need someone next year who can sit on the bench and look gloomy, I think he'd be an excellent candidate.

nyg02005
11-13-05, 06:53 PM
the question is not if nomar can help the yankees but does the yankees have a vacant position for nomar and how much will be his asking price?

CaptainThurman
11-13-05, 07:45 PM
If the Yankees need someone next year who can sit on the bench and look gloomy, I think he'd be an excellent candidate.

Uh, I could do that, and I would cost a lot less than Nomar....

terminator
11-13-05, 07:48 PM
Regarding a role on the team, at the end of games Nomar could sit near the turnstiles and say "Thanks, beautiful" to the fans as they leave the stadium.

This would enhance the game experience for fans, no?

brosiusbuddy
11-13-05, 08:04 PM
Uh, I could do that, and I would cost a lot less than Nomar....

I bet you couldn't do that. I know if I were given the job of sittin in the dugout with the Yanks, you wouldn't find me looking too gloomy.

nyctalopia
11-13-05, 08:41 PM
the question is not if nomar can help the yankees but does the yankees have a vacant position for nomar and how much will be his asking price?
I would be surprised if he agreed to a major paycut, so his asking price will be between 7 and 8 million/year. And unless he's willing to be a backup IF, there is no vacant position for him on the Yankees.

Evil Empire
11-13-05, 08:42 PM
would he accept a backup/DH role?

nyctalopia
11-13-05, 08:44 PM
would he accept a backup/DH role?
we have too many DHs already. backup IF is the only place for him on this team, and at anything over 4 mil for a 1 year contract, heck no!

Evil Empire
11-13-05, 08:44 PM
we have too many DHs already. backup IF is the only place for him on this team, and at anything over 4 mil for a 1 year contract, heck no!

It was more of a rhetorical question.

nyctalopia
11-13-05, 08:54 PM
It was more of a rhetorical question.
Rhetorical questions belong on Blogs after the sentence "Dear Diary," not on discussion forums :D just pushing your buttons :P

Evil Empire
11-13-05, 08:54 PM
Rhetorical questions belong on Blogs after the sentence "Dear Diary," not on discussion forums :D just pushing your buttons :P

It's cool. :)

gold23
11-13-05, 09:20 PM
He wasn't bored. He was flat out pouting.

That was easily the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen a pro athlete do that was completely ignnored by the media.

I want no part of Nomar.

You must not have paid much attention to the Boston media in the following days. He was skewered constantly for that event, until the day he was traded. In fact, Epstein said last winter that had that game not happened, he probably could not have traded Nomar- the backlash would have been relentless. But that opened the door nice and wide.

terminator
11-13-05, 09:36 PM
You must not have paid much attention to the Boston media in the following days. He was skewered constantly for that event, until the day he was traded. In fact, Epstein said last winter that had that game not happened, he probably could not have traded Nomar- the backlash would have been relentless. But that opened the door nice and wide.

Agreed - and it has to be said that Nomar's relationship with the Boston media and the FO had deteriorated to the point that he probably behaved in a manner contrary to his normal behavior. Not saying he was ever the sunshine of the clubhouse - but Nomar was, and is always someone who gives 200% on the field.

Considering his history, I would say that the incident was an anomaly, and not the norm for him. He'll probably sign a 1 year deal for not a lot of money, and if he is healthy, then the team which signs him is going to get an excellent ROI.

Nomar as DH, while laughable because of the SS nexus the Yankees will possess, is not the wildest idea floated around here.

gold23
11-13-05, 09:52 PM
Agreed - and it has to be said that Nomar's relationship with the Boston media and the FO had deteriorated to the point that he probably behaved in a manner contrary to his normal behavior. Not saying he was ever the sunshine of the clubhouse - but Nomar was, and is always someone who gives 200% on the field.

Considering his history, I would say that the incident was an anomaly, and not the norm for him. He'll probably sign a 1 year deal for not a lot of money, and if he is healthy, then the team which signs him is going to get an excellent ROI.

Nomar as DH, while laughable because of the SS nexus the Yankees will possess, is not the wildest idea floated around here.

I agree with your assessment of Nomar. By almost all accounts, a good team guy until that couple month period.

If you could get him on the cheap and at a workable salary at a one or two year limit? Absolutely would sign him to DH. He can still hit.

Eddie160
11-13-05, 09:54 PM
I'd pass cause the Yankees would have no use for him and like the other posts said he's injury prone why take the chance if there's no need for him IMO

MisterNovember
11-13-05, 10:59 PM
Nomar will come cheap, and I wouldn't mind the Yankees signing him as a part time player (maybe some time at 2B, 1B or even LF if he can play it), but I doubt that he would agree to such a role. My guess is that he winds up playing 3B for the Dodgers next season, in the hopes that he will put his career back together.

harkode2002
11-13-05, 11:28 PM
I started a thread a week or so ago stating that Nomar would potentially make a decent left fielder, moving Godzilla to center. That thread received 222 equally NEGATIVE replies, about 1/2 questioning my level of intelligence. Did you defend me?

Anyway - I still think he could be had for one year at about $5-6 mil and could work out reasonably well. But to avoid any repeat of 222 damning responses, anyone who reads this reply, please, please do not crucify me again.

silverdsl
11-14-05, 09:32 AM
Why would Nomar accept a back up role? At this point in his career I'm sure he's still looking to prove he can be an effective everyday player and stay healthy for an entire season. And there's no way he's going to agree to the kind of pay cut that would be necessary for him to join the team. And oh yeah, just exactly where would the Yankees play him anyway that doesn't require him learning a new position?

-Deborah

MisterNovember
11-14-05, 12:04 PM
I started a thread a week or so ago stating that Nomar would potentially make a decent left fielder, moving Godzilla to center. That thread received 222 equally NEGATIVE replies, about 1/2 questioning my level of intelligence. Did you defend me?

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is, I didn't see the thread you mentioned.

I don't think moving Nomar to LF is that ridiculous of an idea, but I wouldn't want to count on him as an everyday starter. I think the Yanks could do better.

Stupid Flanders
11-14-05, 12:45 PM
In other words, the Boston FO once again called the papers and said to throw one of their own players under the bus so it would be easier to trade him

Yankee Bulldawg
11-14-05, 01:39 PM
no no no because we've alread got Cano

harkode2002
11-14-05, 02:16 PM
I agreed - if you're not DUTCH, you're not much.

Might as well agree with someone today.

Rice14
11-14-05, 11:45 PM

Exactly right. Red Sox fans and Boston media will forever connect Nomar with that game. Whoever said there was no backlash must not know a single thing about Boston, Red Sox fans, and the Boston media.

As a matter of fact, I'll make a prediction, when Nomar does sign someplace, the stories in the Boston papers will find a way to work in a mention of that game.

Stupid Flanders
11-15-05, 12:19 AM
Exactly right. Red Sox fans and Boston media will forever connect Nomar with that game. Whoever said there was no backlash must not know a single thing about Boston, Red Sox fans, and the Boston media.

As a matter of fact, I'll make a prediction, when Nomar does sign someplace, the stories in the Boston papers will find a way to work in a mention of that game.
Of course. Luccino owns Boston like a crime boss.

Yankyfan
11-15-05, 01:40 PM
Back up infielder ,part time DH ?? Is that enough for a once true superstar at this point? What do you pay him? :dunno:

Dooley Womack
11-15-05, 03:22 PM
The only role Nomar would have on the Yanks is to keep telling Jeter, "They were right. You ARE the better shortstop."

Macklew
11-15-05, 03:27 PM
Well, he could help smooth off and pack the right hander's batting box.

BeantownYankee
11-15-05, 03:59 PM
Need someone to carry A-Rod & Jeters Jock Straps

JeffWeaverFan
11-15-05, 04:01 PM
How much do you think Nomar regrets not signing that 4 year/$60 million dollar deal a couple years back?

Rice14
11-15-05, 08:11 PM
How much do you think Nomar regrets not signing that 4 year/$60 million dollar deal a couple years back?

No kidding. He cost himself 9 million last year, and it will be certainly more this year.

Further, in 2006 Nomar could be AL Comeback Player, AL MVP, and win the triple crown and he still wouldn't get a multi-year offer for 15 million a year in 2006 and beyond.

Some say the Sox front office is incredibly savvy, others say incredibly lucky. On this one, I think they should be sending Arn Tellum a Thank You card.

Jasbro
11-19-05, 11:34 PM
Even The Onion can't resist piling on Nomar:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42769

apolansk
11-20-05, 12:05 AM
SURE THERE IS....

as an opponent.

mycroft
11-20-05, 11:00 AM
Where would he play? Maybe if Cano hadn't come along but as of today, no room

NewEraYanks2527
11-20-05, 11:31 AM
Again with this thread.

yogibuck
11-20-05, 10:48 PM
If you could sign Nomar for say $5 M and say you are our DH. I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd try to sell him on the platform that we want you to DH for a year, prove your healthy, than sign a big deal.

Not to mention, we want you to really stick it up the Red Sox's butts that you are still good.

Talk about motivation? Wow, we may just get the old Nomar. Sure he's been hurt. But you act like he sucked those two years. In 04 he still hit over .300.

In O5' he was only down to .289. Geez, he did better than Ruben last year. Not to mention, in a pinch, he could become the starter at 1b, 2b, ss, 3b and probably either of the two corner of positions. Talk about versatility.

Give me a break. Who are all these DH's everybody keeps talking about?

Seems to me the job is still open with Bernie leaving.

Yankyfan
11-21-05, 10:40 AM
I hear he's close to signing with the Twins.I'd say he's agood fit there.

Wheat
11-25-05, 08:27 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/11/22/verducci/index.html

Verducci thinks he may be a bargain and not a crazy idea as an OF.

NYDCYankee
11-25-05, 08:32 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/11/22/verducci/index.html

Verducci thinks he may be a bargain and not a crazy idea as an OF.

To be honest I sort of agree with him. I think he could be a great value addition.

BobbyMurcerFan
11-25-05, 03:40 PM

Verducci thinks he may be a bargain and not a crazy idea as an OF.I have no problem with the idea that Nomar can hit if healthy. I have huge problem with the idea that he can play CF.

Captain Yankee
11-25-05, 10:59 PM
I don't see a problem with signing Nomar for cheap and have him play LF. If Matsui has to play center field next year, I could deal with it. The BIG if would be how healthy Nomar is. He had a good return last year. We know he can hit. I think he could handle a move to the outfield. The only thing is how will he hold up for an entire season? Of course this becomes moot if we can get Ichiro.

YankeeStripes
11-30-05, 03:45 PM
does anyone have espn insider that can post a blurb from Buster Olney's blog about Garciaparra becoming a utility guy for the Yankees?

ieddyi
11-30-05, 03:49 PM
does anyone have espn insider that can post a blurb from Buster Olney's blog about Garciaparra becoming a utility guy for the Yankees?

"But some scouts also think he's a guy worth considering, if he were to embrace a Tony Phillips-type role, moving around from position to position. "I saw a lot of life in his bat at the end of the (2005) season," said one scout. "I think he's going to help somebody."

He got off to a terrible start last season, batting .157 in April before tearing his groin, but Garciaparra hit .338 in August and .311 in September. When healthy, he would fit in perfectly with the Indians in the middle of their lineup, perhaps batting behind Travis Hafner, lending some experienced and right-handed protection; he'd be playing for former Red Sox prospect Eric Wedge in Cleveland.

Garciaparra would be a nice addition in San Francisco, as well, as long as the dollars were right, or in Pittsburgh, or maybe in Texas, if the Rangers wound up swapping Kevin Mench. "I recommended him to our team," said another official.

He wouldn't be a bad gamble for the Yankees, either (and this is pure speculation on my part; no one with the Yankees has indicated the team is interested in Nomar).

YankeeStripes
11-30-05, 03:51 PM
thanks! doesnt sound like they are likely to sign him, but i wouldnt object to him being a utility guy or even a DH

surge511
11-30-05, 03:54 PM
I would sign him as a super-utility man that plays every day. He already knows how to play the IF, he can take some reps at 1B, and get some work in at LF. If he gained a basic understanding at every position, it would be great. His primary position could be DH, but whenever Torre needed to give someone a break, Nomar would be there. It could work out very well - being mostly a DH, he could stay away from injuries hopefully. At the right price, I wouldn't mind signing him to a 1-year deal, maybe with a vesting 2nd year option.

nyctalopia
11-30-05, 03:56 PM
He would cost WAY too much as a utility man, and we don't have an everyday slot for him (no matter how many positions he can play) in the batting order.

ppa79
11-30-05, 04:37 PM
Kay is talking about this again on his show

ReggieBar
11-30-05, 04:42 PM
He would cost WAY too much as a utility man, and we don't have an everyday slot for him (no matter how many positions he can play) in the batting order.

I think batting second would be nice.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-30-05, 04:43 PM
He'd make a nice DH, especially if Sheff, Matsui and Giambi want to play the field everyday

Panamaniac42
11-30-05, 04:44 PM
Kay is talking about this again on his show

Yeah I mean...Kay is in love with Nomar. I'm not crazy about him but honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him playing some 1b CF on days when Crosby and Giambi aren't in the field.

Also someone just called in about going after DeJesus/Sisco

I don't know what the hell it would take to get those two but as a fellow RU alum I'd love to have DeJesus out there. Heck of a defender and can lead off.

At the very least I hope Cashman is looking into DeJesus.

surge511
11-30-05, 04:56 PM

If he performs to what he is capable of, anyone can find a slot for him in the lineup.

Shinebox
11-30-05, 05:57 PM
Im surprised Dejesus' name comes up at all.. he doesnt make much and hes the Royals starting CF'er. Not sure why they would trade him, but then again its the Royals.. so anything is possible.
I would take Nomar in a second.. scouts say he cant play SS anymore, but hes still athletic and could still be a good fielder somewhere else. He doesnt need to DH. Why not give him a one year, incentive laden, contract for like 7 mil and see if he fits in either CF or LF? Worst case scenario he could play some 1b. He is still a good athlete, and he hit well when he came back last year. It really is a low risk, high reward deal.. A one year deal for 7-8 million wont hurt the yanks. Why not??

CaptainThurman
11-30-05, 07:37 PM
Im surprised Dejesus' name comes up at all.. he doesnt make much and hes the Royals starting CF'er. Not sure why they would trade him, but then again its the Royals.. so anything is possible.
I would take Nomar in a second.. scouts say he cant play SS anymore, but hes still athletic and could still be a good fielder somewhere else. He doesnt need to DH. Why not give him a one year, incentive laden, contract for like 7 mil and see if he fits in either CF or LF? Worst case scenario he could play some 1b. He is still a good athlete, and he hit well when he came back last year. It really is a low risk, high reward deal.. A one year deal for 7-8 million wont hurt the yanks. Why not??

Better yet, let's move Jeter to CF, which is the true HOF position on the Yankees. Then slide A-Rod over to SS and give Nomar the 3B position. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Shinebox
11-30-05, 07:51 PM
Better yet, let's move Jeter to CF, which is the true HOF position on the Yankees. Then slide A-Rod over to SS and give Nomar the 3B position. Wouldn't that be sweet?

wow, thats not even close to what i was saying

Quangormo
12-01-05, 01:23 AM
Well, maybe if he can play the OF or 1B (we have both Phillips and Crosby in the lineup at the moment, and that's just not good enough.) Do we take the defensive liability of Jason at 1B and DH Nomar? His bat is still good, although not what it was a couple of years ago. And the injuries are a concern.

However, when he's healthy, Nomar is a terrific ballplayer.

I wonder what number he'd wear in the Bronx. His 5 from Boston and his 8 from Chicago are both retired. 58?

yankees76
12-01-05, 01:28 AM
As long as Giambi, Sheff and Posada are healthy/don't need rest, we would otherwise be giving the DH ABs to Phillips or Bernie (if we bring him back), so there's room in the lineup for another good bat. Seemed like he could still hit at the end of last year. I would rather have a HR hitter than a contact hitter at DH, but we have enough HR hitters.

Who knows, maybe the experiment Buster suggested would work. I think he has too much pride to become a utility guy, though.

ppa79
12-01-05, 08:55 AM
The more I think about it, it looks like it might be a decent idea as long as he can decently play 1st, SS, LF, and CF.

DandyAndy46
12-01-05, 09:40 AM
So basically the Yankees could have Nomar as their version of Chone Figgins with a bit less speed and a better bat. Also if nothing else he would be a good guy coming off the bench and if anything this team needs a deeper bench...if he can learn how to play different positions

....BTW...this is exacly what Miguel Cairo did w/St. Louis...maybe the Yanks should bring him in for this role (but I know there's already a thread for this so I'll stop now)

NYDCYankee
12-01-05, 09:42 AM
Put me down for being in support of bringing Nomar on board.

StatenIslandYankee
12-01-05, 09:44 AM
It's actually not a bad idea. Check out his stats during aug and sept.

MTYankee23
12-01-05, 09:50 AM
Its a great idea if its for affordable money at short years. The spotlight would be off of him in NY, especially if he's taking a utility role. Its win-win for the Yankees because at worst case, he can't learn any of the OF positions and becomes the DH and Utility IF.

gdn
12-01-05, 09:55 AM
I doubt he'd come here in a utility role.

ShaneTravis
12-01-05, 10:00 AM
Baltimoresun.com
"The Orioles have had almost daily talks with Nomar Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, though no deal appears imminent."

Not a bad idea for the O's. Not sure where they would play him. DH? First?

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-01-05, 10:02 AM
Baltimoresun.com
"The Orioles have had almost daily talks with Nomar Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, though no deal appears imminent."

Not a bad idea for the O's. Not sure where they would play him. DH? First?

They could also move him to third base and play Mora in the outfield since Mora was first a supersub/utility type in his days before he became an all star. Otherwise, it's a similar situation to the Yankees, they could find a slot of him at first or DH.

Shinebox
12-01-05, 10:04 AM
i dont think its the normal utility role.. we wouldnt be asking him to be the next Clay Bellinger.. he would play everyday, he would just have to accept moving around a little.

surge511
12-01-05, 10:06 AM
I think it could be agreed that everyone would like Nomar on this team, but at the right price. I think I might give him 2 years, 4 mill/per. He would be a good DH, and if any starter went down, he could fill in there great. And, if we keep Womack, Nomar wouldn't even have to worry about OF, because Tony could be the OF backup.

ShaneTravis
12-01-05, 10:10 AM
They could also move him to third base and play Mora in the outfield since Mora was first a supersub/utility type in his days before he became an all star. Otherwise, it's a similar situation to the Yankees, they could find a slot of him at first or DH.

1st and DH would be the way to go. Maybe have him spell a corner outfielder periodically. Having him play third base or any position for that matter is begging for an injury. The guy has broken down the last few seasons. As a DH I think he would excell.

As a purely fan interest opinion---I would love to have him DH and give Sheff a break out in the field once in awhile. Having the holy trinity short stops all playing for the Yanks is a marketing dream.

The Boston and NY media would have a field day.

stephsamps
12-01-05, 11:07 AM
i dont think its the normal utility role.. we wouldnt be asking him to be the next Clay Bellinger.. he would play everyday, he would just have to accept moving around a little.

Yeah, I seem to remember a guy named Pujols moving around the diamond a little bit. Definitely an intriguing possibility.

Sam18
12-01-05, 11:16 AM
No!

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-05, 11:18 AM
I would like him signed as the back up guy. The upside is tremendous.

Give him a one year deal, incentive laden. It is better then signing a real back up.

Garciaparra is better then any escalone or cairo even.

Clemens831
12-01-05, 11:19 AM
Go for it, Cash! Nomar's in a position where he can be signed only to a low-risk contract - but of course, the possibility of return on that contract is really high if he bounces back.

StatenIslandYankee
12-01-05, 11:22 AM
What's wrong with giving him an incentive laden deal for one year as a backup/OF/DH guy?

BRNXBMRS
12-01-05, 11:24 AM
Keep him away from the Yanks.

gdn
12-01-05, 11:25 AM
What's wrong with giving him an incentive laden deal for one year as a backup/OF/DH guy?The problem is, will he bite?

ieddyi
12-01-05, 11:28 AM

Give him a one year deal, incentive laden. It is better then signing a real back up.

Absolutely agree. How much $$ can he really expect?

stephsamps
12-01-05, 11:29 AM
The problem is, will he bite?

I guess it depends on how many options he has. I would think he would rather try to come back with the Yanks and have a shot to win it (not just get the ring) than go with someone like the Os.

gdn
12-01-05, 11:31 AM
Yeah, but it'll be a big ego killer for him. Imagine him playing backup to the two guys he was not so long ago considered in the same breath with. It'd be a big step down. I have a feeling he'd rather try as a starter somewhere else.

stephsamps
12-01-05, 11:33 AM
Yeah, but it'll be a big ego killer for him. Imagine him playing backup to the two guys he was not so long ago considered in the same breath with. It'd be a big step down. I have a feeling he'd rather try as a starter somewhere else.

I guess, but I think it all depends on how you market it. The holy trinity now playing in the Bronx? Still somewhat powerful and if they call him the DH... It could work. There's no better stage to succeed on than in NY (of course its toughest to fail here too!).

gdn
12-01-05, 11:34 AM
I guess, but I think it all depends on how you market it. The holy trinity now playing in the Bronx? Still somewhat powerful and if they call him the DH... It could work. There's no better stage to succeed on than in NY (of course its toughest to fail here too!).True. He could be the DH... he might bite to play on the biggest stage and prove himself here.

ShaneTravis
12-01-05, 11:52 AM

His ego got in the way the last time a lucrative contract was presented to him. Maybe he learned from his mistake. 4 years @ 60 million I believe.

My quess is he goes to the Dodgers.

gdn
12-01-05, 11:53 AM
His ego got in the way the last time a lucrative contract was presented to him. Maybe he learned from his mistake. 4 years @ 60 million I believe.

My quess is he goes to the Dodgers.Isn't Izturis out for a major chunk of the season? The Dodgers do seem a good fit for him.

parkerstrong
12-01-05, 12:02 PM
i would be willing to give him a 1 year deal. incentive laden deal that lets him stick to the red sox and help them finish in second place for the 9th consecutive year.

ReggieBar
12-01-05, 12:13 PM
Isn't Izturis out for a major chunk of the season? The Dodgers do seem a good fit for him.

Yes, Izturis is out AND Nomar could then be switched to third if/when Izturis comes back. Nomar is also from Cali so.......Not a bad idea for Yankees, but not necessary either. Esp when we have Sheff and Giambi who will need DH time.

gdn
12-01-05, 01:10 PM
Yes, Izturis is out AND Nomar could then be switched to third if/when Izturis comes back. Nomar is also from Cali so.......Not a bad idea for Yankees, but not necessary either. Esp when we have Sheff and Giambi who will need DH time.Yeah, it does seem like the Dodgers would be a better fit for him.

Joe G
12-01-05, 01:17 PM

I think this idea has a lot of merit. Nomar for $5 mil could be a real steal! If Jeter doesn't work out in CF, maybe Nomar or AROD or Cano. Otherwise, Nomar can DH and Crosby can play CF.

Jeter CF
Nomar 3B
Giambi 1B
AROD SS
Sheff RF
Matsui LF
Cano 2B
Posada C
Williams DH (mistake but I think it's going to happen)

BillBuckner
12-01-05, 02:29 PM
Jeter CF
Nomar 3B
Giambi 1B
AROD SS
Sheff RF
Matsui LF
Cano 2B
Posada C
Williams DH (mistake but I think it's going to happen)
Very creative, but why not just put Nomar at SS and keep A-Rod at 3rd?

stephsamps
12-01-05, 02:43 PM
Yeah, it does seem like the Dodgers would be a better fit for him.

Except who wants to work for the Dodgers ;).

TheTinoMobile
12-01-05, 03:01 PM
IMO Nomar no longer has what's needed to play SS, after coming off of injuries, i think his ability to play that position has been greatly hurt.

ryanthe13th
12-01-05, 03:23 PM

He would NEVER in a million years sign with the Yankees as a back up. That is ridiculous to even propose.

Clemens831
12-01-05, 03:59 PM
He'd make a nice DH, especially if Sheff, Matsui and Giambi want to play the field everyday

Even if they want to, none of them should be allowed to play the field everyday.

DandyAndy46
12-01-05, 03:59 PM
He would NEVER in a million years sign with the Yankees as a back up. That is ridiculous to even propose.

Verducci and Olney don't think it's ridiculous

yogibuck
12-01-05, 05:35 PM
Why are some people talking backup?

He is the starting DH! Not a bad position for a guy that's had injuries the last couple of years.

And for the person who said that Giambi and Sheff need days off at DH, well duh, Nomar could play 1st for certain and I'm willing to bet he'd be respectable in RF as well.

I would offer a one year guaranteed contract worth $5 MM. with incentives up to $12 MM or so.

MVP- $3 M; 2nd $2 M; 3rd-$1 M

Batting Title - $1M
World Series MVP - $500k
ALCS MVP - $250k
Silver Slugger $500k
100 RBI's - $500k
.300 avg and 500AB's - $500k
etc.

If he has that kind of year, I would have no problem paying him.

whalers
12-01-05, 05:39 PM
Why are some people talking backup?

He is the starting DH! Not a bad position for a guy that's had injuries the last couple of years.

And for the person who said that Giambi and Sheff need days off at DH, well duh, Nomar could play 1st for certain and I'm willing to bet he'd be respectable in RF as well.

I would offer a one year guaranteed contract worth $5 MM. with incentives up to $12 MM or so.

MVP- $3 M; 2nd $2 M; 3rd-$1 M

Batting Title - $1M
World Series MVP - $500k
ALCS MVP - $250k
Silver Slugger $500k
100 RBI's - $500k
.300 avg and 500AB's - $500k
etc.

If he has that kind of year, I would have no problem paying him.

It would sure be interesting. I think a contract like the one you mentioned makes sense. the question is would Nomah be willing to sign sucha deal.

BeantownYankee
12-01-05, 05:44 PM
Hey play him at 2B and move Cano to center. ;)

grabick_luca
12-01-05, 05:45 PM

Agreed, many teams would love to him at say 3rd base. He's gettin older, i think he just needs a new workout regiment to help against injuries and 3rd base would suit his range better.

Yanks Lifer
12-01-05, 06:23 PM
With some of the questions the Yanks have ... CF, DH, backup 1B, utility ... I think there could definitely be a role on the team that sees Nomar getting 350 - 450 ABs. The questions is will Cash structure the remaining moves for such a role and is Nomar willing to accept one. After the humbling experience he went through at the end with the Sox and the subpar, injury prone year last year, he just may have a different mindset.

Nomar along with Dotel are two gambles I would like to see Cash take. Regardless, by this time next week I think we'll have a number of new faces and scenarios to talk about, some of which will have come out of left field, so to speak. Just MHO but, :dunno:

Jglaubman
12-01-05, 07:32 PM
I think he could be useful here. He could be a back-up infielder, which could give Jeter and A-Rod more days off. And, maybe he could even play a corner outfield. We could also DH him occasionaly. I would definitely sign Nomar, if he was cheap.

jbauer2485
12-01-05, 07:33 PM
http://www.nomaas.org/images/nomarutility.jpg

Utility guy.

BillBuckner
12-01-05, 07:39 PM
Utility guy.
If he won't mind signing for Utility Guy money.

Yankeeah
12-01-05, 07:58 PM
If he won't mind signing for Utility Guy money.

If it's built on incentives and he understands that he doesn'thave a starting role

surge511
12-01-05, 08:33 PM
I don't think Nomar would be a utility guy. He would be the starting DH, and would be a great insurance policy in case a starter went down for any lengthy period of time. However, he would sign here under the mentality that he primarily would be DHing.

indianyanksfan
12-01-05, 09:33 PM
I don't think Nomar would be a utility guy. He would be the starting DH, and would be a great insurance policy in case a starter went down for any lengthy period of time. However, he would sign here under the mentality that he primarily would be DHing.

he can still hit so why not?

Stan Musial
12-01-05, 09:36 PM
Nomar is a walking 15 day DL. His health the past 3 years has been a major concern and last year when he pulled his groin, it really effected his abilities to play physical positions. I think the Yanks could do better than Nomar. Plus, something tells me he wouldnt be very keen on being a Yank..

Yankeeah
12-01-05, 09:49 PM
Nomar is a walking 15 day DL. His health the past 3 years has been a major concern and last year when he pulled his groin, it really effected his abilities to play physical positions. I think the Yanks could do better than Nomar. Plus, something tells me he wouldnt be very keen on being a Yank..

Agreed on the injury part, which is why he can't have a starting job and should have an incentive based contract. Also, we should have some sort of backup plan incase he tears a quad sneezing.

Stan Musial
12-01-05, 09:55 PM
Agreed on the injury part, which is why he can't have a starting job and should have an incentive based contract. Also, we should have some sort of backup plan incase he tears a quad sneezing.
:lol: I gotta remember that one.

NewEraYanks2527
12-01-05, 10:18 PM
Here is the deal for Nomar, one year at one million with lots of incentives, take it or leave it.

surge511
12-01-05, 10:44 PM

I agree with the DL part, which is why he would have to come as a DH. However, I think he would want to become a Yankee. If i'm not mistaken, he approached the Yankees last offseason about playing 2B, and only when he was turned down did he sign with the Cubs.

MattUNC2003
12-01-05, 11:07 PM
Here is the deal for Nomar, one year at one million with lots of incentives, take it or leave it.

Strangely, I think that's pretty much the same contract he's gonna get where ever he signs.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the guy on the Yanks. For some reason, I started to like the guy towards the end of his Red Sox tenure. If he did indeed want to accept a spot behind A-Rod/Jeter/Cano on the depth chart, I think it would be fairly reasonable for the Yanks to offer him a contract.

VFBundy
12-02-05, 06:37 AM
Personally, I wouldn't mind the guy on the Yanks. For some reason, I started to like the guy towards the end of his Red Sox tenure. If he did indeed want to accept a spot behind A-Rod/Jeter/Cano on the depth chart, I think it would be fairly reasonable for the Yanks to offer him a contract.I always liked him too, despite him being a Red Sox. But the image that lingers in my mind is him sitting on the bench, disinterested, in probably one of the most exciting games he's ever "played" in. (The "Jeter Leaps in the Seats" game.) If he's that ultra-sensitive, what's going to happen the first time a trade rumor is mentioned?

surge511
12-02-05, 08:04 AM
I always liked him too, despite him being a Red Sox. But the image that lingers in my mind is him sitting on the bench, disinterested, in probably one of the most exciting games he's ever "played" in. (The "Jeter Leaps in the Seats" game.) If he's that ultra-sensitive, what's going to happen the first time a trade rumor is mentioned?

Well, in his 10+ years of playing, he has only once been criticized of pouting. Hopefully, he realized what he looked like, and will learn to be more professional about his negative feelings if they ever occur again. I would not be worried about that, especially he would probably only be here for 1 or 2 years (at least in the initial contract).

nyctalopia
12-02-05, 09:25 AM
I've always liked him, but I highly doubt he will accept a utility/DH role on the Yankees. Normar will sign for starter money as an everyday player somewhere. He won't be able to prove himself again by having 500 at-bats next year.

indianyanksfan
12-02-05, 10:39 AM
I've always liked him, but I highly doubt he will accept a utility/DH role on the Yankees. Normar will sign for starter money as an everyday player somewhere. He won't be able to prove himself again by having 500 at-bats next year.

he can be the everyday dh and share 1b duties with giambi

MTYankee23
12-02-05, 10:41 AM
Worst case he ends up as our DH and backup IF. Best Case, we use some Spring Training time to try him out in the OF slots.

At short money, its a nice gamble to take. Put it this way, if we're shelling $6 million out, I'd prefer Nomar and a non-tendered FA reliver (Armas?) vs. Farnsworth.

BostonYankeeBoy
12-02-05, 03:11 PM
I always liked him too, despite him being a Red Sox. But the image that lingers in my mind is him sitting on the bench, disinterested, in probably one of the most exciting games he's ever "played" in. (The "Jeter Leaps in the Seats" game.) If he's that ultra-sensitive, what's going to happen the first time a trade rumor is mentioned?

I remember that game, I think the main reason he was pouting was because he knew he was on the way out of Boston. Nomar was never the same in Boston after the Manny and Nomar for ARod and Magglio Ordinez trade rumors. Prior to the trade rumor he was always a player who gave it all. I didn't think he felt any loyalty from the Sox and therefore felt an all out effort was not needed. Right or wrong I think that was simply the. I think if healthy he can still bat around .300 and knock 20 hr's and drive in 80 rbi's, of course this would be if he played everyday which wouldn't be the case in NY.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-02-05, 03:13 PM
of course this would be if he played everyday which wouldn't be the case in NY.

Why not? We dont have permenant DH

BostonYankeeBoy
12-02-05, 03:31 PM
Why not? We dont have permenant DH

You're right he could be a permanent dh but from reading a lot posts it seems he would be a utility man/backup to Jeter, A-Rod, and Cano. But putting him at dh would not be a bad idea, because it obviously cuts down the injury risk (even though last year he hurt his groin running out a ground ball) and like I said I think he can still be a solid producer if healthy. You know whats funny, three years ago Nomar was in the same class of A-Rod and Jeter.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-02-05, 03:32 PM
You're right he could be a permanent dh but from reading a lot posts it seems he would be a utility man/backup to Jeter, A-Rod, and Cano. But putting him at dh would not be a bad idea, because it obviously cuts down the injury risk (even though last year he hurt his groin running out a ground ball) and like I said I think he can still be a solid producer if healthy. You know whats funny, three years ago Nomar was in the same class of A-Rod and Jeter.

I'd personally like to see him DH, and play the field once in a while when one of our infielders needs the day off. I dont know if he'd accept that, but it would be nice

Mark19
12-02-05, 03:37 PM
If the rumors are true and Pittsburgh actually does get Nomar, we should totally snag Rob Mackowiak for CF.

ppa79
12-02-05, 03:39 PM
Nomar is interesting, I still think he still has some life to his bat. If the price were right, I might give it a shot. Who would have thought back in 1998 the Yankees would have the shot to have Nomar, Arod, and Jeter on the same team.

joshuaeagan
12-02-05, 03:53 PM
Nomar makes perfect sense for the Yankees - if he is willing to DH and be a utility guy. Now - I know some people do not want Pierre and they do not want Garciaparra because there more talented options (Wilkerson). But it is not always about the most talent - it is about what fits in to the puzzle.

Imagine this lineup. And it could happen - very easily.

Pierre CF
Jeter SS
Giambi 1B
AROD 3B
Matsui LF
Sheffield RF
Garciaparra DH
Posada C
Cano 2B

That would be devestating anyway you look at it. If Garciaparra accepts are playing terms and accepts a 2 year incentive deal at a base of $5mil - you have to do it. If he is healthy - we have the best lineup in baseball - if he is not - we play Sheff at DH and put Bubba in RF - or DH Giambi and play Phillips.

ppa79
12-02-05, 03:54 PM
Nomar makes perfect sense for the Yankees - if he is willing to DH and be a utility guy. Now - I know some people do not want Pierre and they do not want Garciaparra because there more talented options (Wilkerson). But it is not always about the most talent - it is about what fits in to the puzzle.

Imagine this lineup. And it could happen - very easily.

Pierre CF
Jeter SS
Giambi 1B
AROD 3B
Matsui LF
Sheffield RF
Garciaparra DH
Posada C
Cano 2B

That would be devestating anyway you look at it. If Garciaparra accepts are playing terms and accepts a 2 year incentive deal at a base of $5mil - you have to do it. If he is healthy - we have the best lineup in baseball - if he is not - we play Sheff at DH and put Bubba in RF - or DH Giambi and play Phillips.

I was with you until I saw Pierre. And why is he leading off????

YankeeStripes
12-02-05, 03:55 PM
^ i remember a quote form A-rod back then where he said:

"Jeter's the richest, I'm the youngest, and nomar is the best."

well now he is the richest. Jeter is the best shortstop, and nomar well....might be a dh.

ppa79
12-02-05, 03:58 PM
^ i remember a quote form A-rod back then where he said:

"Jeter's the richest, I'm the youngest, and nomar is the best."

well now he is the richest. Jeter is the best shortstop, and nomar well....might be a dh.

Arod said Nomar was the best? WOW thats being modest. Even during Nomar's best years, Arod was still better.

joshuaeagan
12-02-05, 04:08 PM
I was with you until I saw Pierre. And why is he leading off????

Because he is a leadoff hitter....

Another Variation - perhaps better

Jeter SS
Nomar DH
Arod 3B
Giambi 1B
Sheffield RF
Matsui LF
Posada C
Cano 2B
Pierre CF

However Pierre as leadoff hitter solves the problem that I think exists - WE NEED A LEADOFF GUY ahead of Jeter. I know Pierre's OBP was less than great last year - but look at years past. Also - he disrupts the game with his speed - perhaps giving Jeter better pitches.

gdn
12-02-05, 04:10 PM
Because he is a leadoff hitter....

Another Variation - perhaps better

Jeter SS
Nomar DH
Arod 3B
Giambi 1B
Sheffield RF
Matsui LF
Posada C
Cano 2B
Pierre CF

However Pierre as leadoff hitter solves the problem that I think exists - WE NEED A LEADOFF GUY ahead of Jeter. I know Pierre's OBP was less than great last year - but look at years past. Also - he disrupts the game with his speed - perhaps giving Jeter better pitches.I'm assuming you've missed the posts that show that Jeter is an excellent leadoff hitter...

DandyAndy46
12-02-05, 04:31 PM
I can't stand this idea that we need a better leadoff hitter than Jeter...I do not understnd this...what we need is a good number 2 hitter so Joe can stop putting A-Rod in that spot and keep him at cleanup...

Yankyfan
12-02-05, 05:49 PM
He and Mia were in town for the Rock center tree lighting ......HUMMMMM??

Michaels07
12-02-05, 05:57 PM
Three Year deal at 6 Mill. Fill in the outfield, play some First base & DH and let the Bosox fans scream NOMAR

Yankyfan
12-02-05, 06:03 PM
I think it in the Bronx it would sound more like NOMORE.

yankeebot
12-02-05, 07:41 PM
Sign him as a DH/utility guy and give him the chance to earn the start in RF. Sheff would be a better DH.

Yanks27in05
12-02-05, 08:23 PM
Can we stop talking about bringing in Nomar to be a Utility Guy/DH? Sounds foolish considering there are teams out there willing to give him a starting position at 3rd, 1st, or CF. We can't just store good players on the bench, and they won't come here to sit on the bench. Let's be a little more realistic.

yankeebot
12-02-05, 08:34 PM
Can we stop talking about bringing in Nomar to be a Utility Guy/DH? Sounds foolish considering there are teams out there willing to give him a starting position at 3rd, 1st, or CF. We can't just store good players on the bench, and they won't come here to sit on the bench. Let's be a little more realistic.
Save realism for the season. This is the hot stove.

Yanks27in05
12-02-05, 09:08 PM
"Save realism for the season. This is the hot stove"

So realism doesn't exist in the off-season? If you want to talk about Nomar taking over CF, ok. But saying the guy will take a Utility role here when other teams are offering him starting jobs is nothing but ignorance.

ieddyi
12-02-05, 09:12 PM

HE could very well play almost every day. Rotate as DH/1B/OF- giving Matsui, Sheff, Giambi and Posada days off. They could all use more of them- especially w/ amphetamines being taboo ( don't know if any use them regularly,but it will have an effect w/ some players).

AS of now, who is our DH? It was a black hole for us last year and he would be a good fit- he can still hit. All he's gonna get is a one year maybe incentive laden contract- he's not gonna ring up a big number

TheScooter
12-04-05, 09:34 AM
Consider Garciaparra. Although he is coming off two injury-marred seasons at age 32 and was allowed to walk away from the Chicago Cubs without an offer, his agent, Arn Tellem, is hearing regularly from the Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Dodgers and Cleveland Indians. In the past week, the Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks entered the picture. The Atlanta Braves are expected to jump in, too, if they lose shortstop Rafael Furcal. And, yes, the New York Yankees have made contact.

Garciaparra's value for now is seen in the $5 million range, but that could soar based on a team's need, which is why Tellem is thought to be willfully delaying a decision, perhaps until January. Already, Tellem has felt bold enough to tell the Yankees he is not interested in a deal shorter than four years

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05338/617063.stm

Put down the crackpipe Arn :)

pedromartinezfan
12-04-05, 10:11 AM
Arod said Nomar was the best? WOW thats being modest. Even during Nomar's best years, Arod was still better.
WARP
Year Nomar A-Rod
1997 9.0 7.5
1998 9.3 11.3
1999 11.0 8.1
2000 11.3 14.2Nomar totaled 40.6 from 1997-2000 and averaged 11.5. A-Rod totaled 41.1 and averaged 11.5.

jnewmark
12-04-05, 10:12 AM
Now that Furcal is going to LA, the Braves might be more than interested in Nomar.

Allan
12-04-05, 10:18 AM
Sign him as a DH/utility guy and give him the chance to earn the start in RF. Sheff would be a better DH.
I think Nomar would be a very solid RF for next 3-4 years. Great arm, quite athletic and still only 32. Sheff could be the primary DH. And anybody at all that can provide PLUS defense in CF.
Nomar wouldn't come to NY as a utility guy...... as the Yankees RF'er however, well that's a different story.

yogibuck
12-04-05, 07:20 PM
Arm Tellum is an idiot if he is looking for a 4-year deal for Nomar after a couple of injury plagued seasons.

What a tool, is all I can say if that is true.

Nomar would be better served taking a one-year incentive laden deal so he can reestablish market value.

I just can't see any team out there giving him a 4-yr - $40 M type deal. Maybe I am way underestimating his value..

Stan Musial
12-05-05, 05:13 AM
No that Furcal has fallen to the Dodgers, it would not surprise me if the Cubs tried to mend fences with Nomar and re-sign him. Although, no one will give him the deal Tellum is looking for. The only real team(s) left that can afford him would be the Cubs or the Yankees. And, really, the Yankees dont need him.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-05-05, 10:01 AM
Got this from a Giants fan site (BBI, best Giants site on the web), from Olney's Blog:

"Heard last night that the Yankees are now officially engaged in the Nomar Garciaparra bidding, and will talk to him about a multi-faceted role -- some time at first base, the outfield, designated hitter, plus the other three infield spots."

Ok, now run with this one people.

JeffWeaverFan
12-05-05, 10:22 AM
I would give him 1 year contract with an option year that would kick in depending on the number of games he played.

NelsonMuntz
12-05-05, 10:39 AM
Now that it's looking more and more like we're going to see Sheff back in RF (as opposed to fulltime DH which could have happened if we were able to sign Giles), I don't have a problem with signing Garciaparra to a 1-year deal and using him primarily as the DH.

ieddyi
12-05-05, 10:45 AM
Got this from a Giants fan site (BBI, best Giants site on the web), from Olney's Blog:

"Heard last night that the Yankees are now officially engaged in the Nomar Garciaparra bidding, and will talk to him about a multi-faceted role -- some time at first base, the outfield, designated hitter, plus the other three infield spots."

Ok, now run with this one people.

IT could be brilliant. He has no leverage for a longer term deal ( doens't mean someone won't be dumb enough to do it ), so a 1 year deal could work out great. Think he might be motivated v. the sawx?

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-05-05, 10:52 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05338/617063.stm

Put down the crackpipe Arn :)

HAHAHA he's kidding right....seriously? That might be richer than Boras spouting out his desire for Damon's 7 year contract....

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-05-05, 10:55 AM
I can't stand this idea that we need a better leadoff hitter than Jeter...I do not understnd this...what we need is a good number 2 hitter so Joe can stop putting A-Rod in that spot and keep him at cleanup...

Oh come on. Jeter is a great hitter. If you follow his career, one major advantage he has is the way he adjusts. When he started hitting leadoff, he wasnt great. He's adjusted to it. It is in no way natural to his abilities though, he is a much, much better 2 hitter, and his game would reflect this if we get a "normal" lead-off hitter.

TEPLimey
12-05-05, 10:56 AM
Jeter SS
Nomar DH
Arod 3B
Giambi 1B
Sheffield RF
Matsui LF
Posada C
Cano 2B
Pierre CF

That looks like a horrendous defensive team. The only guy in the entire lineup that plays above-average defense is ARod.

Irascible Yankee Fan
12-05-05, 11:52 AM
That looks like a horrendous defensive team. The only guy in the entire lineup that plays above-average defense is ARod

That's right...just A-Rod and not the American League Gold Glove shortstop. :uhh:

Chambliss
12-05-05, 11:56 AM
That's right...just A-Rod and not the American League Gold Glove shortstop. :uhh:

It's probably been said many times before, but do people still believe that gold glover= excellent defensive player?

I Love Wang
12-05-05, 12:00 PM
It's probably been said many times before, but do people still believe that gold glover= excellent defensive player?

Bobby Abreu sure does.

TEPLimey
12-05-05, 12:04 PM
Jeter is an average defensive player. I love man man Derek, but lets call a spade a spade.

re: The original question... there was always a role for an expensive, declining, injury-prone player with little-to-no experience playing 3B, 2B, and OF to fill a utility spot on the Yankees of the 80s. Let Nomar travel back in time if he wants to play for the Yanks unless he's willing to accept 1 year/$1M (with incentives).

yogibuck
12-05-05, 12:50 PM
re: The original question... there was always a role for an expensive, declining, injury-prone player with little-to-no experience playing 3B, 2B, and OF to fill a utility spot on the Yankees of the 80s. Let Nomar travel back in time if he wants to play for the Yanks unless he's willing to accept 1 year/$1M (with incentives).

What a toolish comment. I could name a bunch of players who were declining and injury prone that played in the 90's as well and contributed quite alot towards the team actually winning a few rings.

Roger Clemens
David Cone
David Wells
Scott Brosius
Jimmy Key
Paul O'Neill
Darryl Strawberry
Cecil Fielder
etc.
etc.
etc.

What does that prove?

I think you have to look at every player as an individual and go from there. What are Nomar injuries? Are they long-term? Do we care if we only sign him to a one-year incentive laden deal? Can he still play? Will New York be a fresh start and help rebound his career? etc. etc. etc.

TheManKnownAsMecca
12-05-05, 01:49 PM
Buster Olney has commented that the Yankees are now in the bidding war for Nomar. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about the "you heard it here first comments, or the I know someone who has heard" comments, but a family friend who works for an AL Central team (send me a message and I'll tell you which gladly) has told me that Nomar is drawing a lot of interest, but currently the Twins and Yankees rank one and two on his list of teams to play for. Olney mentioned that the Yankees could play him at first, in the outfield, 2nd, SS, or 3rd when Cano, Jeter, and Rodriguez need a day off, and at DH. I'm guessing by the conversation I had he'll land with the Twins on a two year deal, but we'll see.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-05-05, 02:45 PM
Buster Olney has commented that the Yankees are now in the bidding war for Nomar. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about the "you heard it here first comments, or the I know someone who has heard" comments, but a family friend who works for an AL Central team (send me a message and I'll tell you which gladly) has told me that Nomar is drawing a lot of interest, but currently the Twins and Yankees rank one and two on his list of teams to play for. Olney mentioned that the Yankees could play him at first, in the outfield, 2nd, SS, or 3rd when Cano, Jeter, and Rodriguez need a day off, and at DH. I'm guessing by the conversation I had he'll land with the Twins on a two year deal, but we'll see.

The Twins actually make a lot of sense for Nomar. They could move Cuddeyer to DH or RF (if Jones leaves) and play Nomar at third base. Playing in the homerdome his numbers would increase as well (if healthy).

YankeeStripes
12-05-05, 03:46 PM
i would absolutely love it if Nomar were a Yankee. Could you imagine we would ever have all three? I think it would be a good money maker too. But what number would he wear? 5 is taken. 8 is taken. I suggest 12, after we trade tony womack to Japan.

MTYankee23
12-05-05, 03:54 PM
If I'm Nomar, I'd almost take less from the Yankees, knowing that the pressure is completely off him, he has a chance to stick it to the Red Sox, and a couple good years on a big stage sets him up for one last good contract.

ieddyi
12-05-05, 03:56 PM
The Twins actually make a lot of sense for Nomar. They could move Cuddeyer to DH or RF (if Jones leaves) and play Nomar at third base. Playing in the homerdome his numbers would increase as well (if healthy).

Playing on that carpet would be hard on someone who's fragile already

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-05-05, 03:57 PM
Playing on that carpet would be hard on someone who fragile already

Good point, didn't think of that...then maybe he just DH's there.

YankeeFan1
12-05-05, 04:16 PM
I would chuckle if Nomar became a Yankee. What weird turn of events. I always liked Nomar even when he was a Red Sox so it would be fun if he was a Yankee.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-05-05, 06:06 PM
If I'm Nomar, I'd almost take less from the Yankees, knowing that the pressure is completely off him, he has a chance to stick it to the Red Sox, and a couple good years on a big stage sets him up for one last good contract.
Probably the exact reasoning the Yankees would give him to come to NY. Also, the rotating defensive role could help in the end.

ppa79
12-05-05, 07:00 PM
It would be interesting. But in the end it will come down to price.

ring403
12-05-05, 10:42 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/sports/baseball/06baseball.html
DALLAS, Dec. 5 - There is no obvious place to put him, and he is not an immediate priority. But as they sift through a weak free-agent market, the Yankees are intrigued by a familiar name: Nomar Garciaparra.
Tellem would not name the teams, but Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman said Tellem had called him about Garciaparra. He would get little playing time on the left side of the infield with the Yankees, but Garciaparra could conceivably play every day at other positions.

"Teams have asked him, in general, about the outfield, first base, second base," Tellem said. "He's pretty open to any position other than catcher and pitcher."

Garciaparra has played in fewer than half his team's games the last two seasons, and the Yankees would have to be confident in his ability to play in the field. Cashman said he did not want to give Manager Joe Torre another designated hitter.

"That's the last thing I want to get, to be honest," Cashman said, adding later, "I'd like to have Joe be able to have a number of different players that can play a number of different positions, and a lot more choices if injuries happen."

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-05-05, 10:52 PM

"I'd like to have Joe be able to have a number of different players that can play a number of different positions, and a lot more choices if injuries happen."

That might be the key statement here from Cashman. If this Nomar thing makes any sense, its that he apparently will be able to play first, second, in the outfield, and also you can shift him to play third or short if Torre wants to give ARod or Jeter a day off, or if one of them gets hurt. Basically, he'd become Chone Figgins, with less speed and a bigger nose.

ICEBERG18
12-05-05, 10:52 PM

I really didn't get anything new from the "Garciaparra in Pinstripes?" article.

StatenIslandYankee
12-05-05, 10:55 PM
I would not mind having Nomar play 1B, OF, and spell Jeter or Arod once in a while. He could be a nice pick up, and perhaps trade bait by the ASB if he's playing well enough and we don't need him.

YankeeFan1
12-05-05, 11:00 PM
I'm sure that Nomar would want to play for a team where he has a stable position, but his bat would be nice if he was a utility type guy. However, the Yankees will still need a centerfielder.

YankeeFan1
12-05-05, 11:08 PM
Oh, I just saw in the article that Bernie wants to come back. Well, no room for Nomar.

rightfielder21
12-05-05, 11:21 PM
If he comes cheap and is healthy he would be a nice pick up...

StatenIslandYankee
12-05-05, 11:22 PM
I'm sure that Nomar would want to play for a team where he has a stable position, but his bat would be nice if he was a utility type guy. However, the Yankees will still need a centerfielder.
Doesn't mean we can't sign Nomar to a bench role.

ring403
12-05-05, 11:26 PM
I really didn't get anything new from the "Garciaparra in Pinstripes?" article.One could interpret Cashman's remarks about wanting to give Torre more versatile players as a sign that he really isn't interested in bringing Bernie (or Sierra) back, which would be pretty good news. The Yankee bench was not exactly a strength last season.

ICEBERG18
12-05-05, 11:28 PM
Ring, You could be right.

"I've had people throw ideas my way," Cashman said. "What we need for this team is to be more flexible. We don't need another station-to-station guy with power only who can't run. I would like to get some flexibility." http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051205&content_id=1276817&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-05, 12:05 AM
I'd be willing to role the dice on that. Maybe he has something to prove and maybe he will really play with some heart and prove me wrong for thinking that he really was a dispassionate player. If the price is right, as with most players, I'd like to see him on the Yanks.

MisterNovember
12-06-05, 01:08 AM

Nomar isn't going to sign up for a bench role, that would be a horrible career move for him at this point. He's going to want to start somewhere at a very reduced rate, and try to prove that he can stay healthy and produce. I see him signing on to play 3B or LF for a team like the Pirates or Padres. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that he signs on to play 2B for the Mets, I'm sure Omar would love another big name.

Bottom line, I'd be shocked if he came to the Yanks unless we offered him a starting job.

Mark19
12-06-05, 01:47 AM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1133849171159860.xml&coll=1

It isn't just speculation anymore

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-06-05, 01:53 AM
Nomar isn't going to take a role of a utility player when other team are most likely offering more money and a starting position...

JeffWeaverFan
12-06-05, 01:55 AM
Nomar isn't going to take a role of a utility player when other team are most likely offering more money and a starting position...
He would start here too, just not in the same position everyday. He'd DH, play the OF, and play some 1B. I think most every team will offer him an incentive laden deal.

NYDCYankee
12-06-05, 01:56 AM
He would start here too, just not in the same position everyday. He'd DH, play the OF, and play some 1B. I think most every team will offer him an incentive laden deal.

I fully support bring him on to play that type of role. I think he would be quite the asset.

MisterNovember
12-06-05, 01:59 AM

If thats the case, then I think Nomar might go for it, AND I think he could excel in that role. However, several posts in this thread mentioned signing him as a BENCH player (different than utility guy)...I don't see Nomar going in that direction.

JeffWeaverFan
12-06-05, 02:55 AM
If thats the case, then I think Nomar might go for it, AND I think he could excel in that role. However, several posts in this thread mentioned signing him as a BENCH player (different than utility guy)...I don't see Nomar going in that direction.
If he was signed, I think he would definitely play everyday. We still don't have a DH signed for next season and I think Cash would love to have a guy that can let Sheff, Matsui, and Giambi each DH a couple days a week. The question is whether Garciaparra would be comfortable in that kind of role. Switching off between LF, RF, 1B, and even occasionally playing 2B when tough lefties are pitching and we want to give Cano the day off. If he would accept that type of role, and we offered him a good base salary with the opportunity to make a lot more based on offensive incentives, I think he would be a huge asset for us.

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 05:51 AM
NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/372090p-316519c.html)

Agent: Nomar for hire

Would play anywhere for Yanks

But now, Tellem is telling clubs that Garciaparra - whose stock has fallen after several injury-plagued seasons - is willing to play virtually any position and could be a valuable jack-of-all-trades in the right situation.

That would seem to fall in line with what Cashman says he's searching for in any moves he makes this winter. When asked if he was seeking another big hitter to be the Yanks' DH (since Jason Giambi appears to be the everyday first baseman), Cashman stressed that he wanted a player who could do everything.

"What we need for this team is to be more flexible," Cashman said. "I just don't want to make us any slower and one-dimensional than we already are in our offense."

Yankees1962
12-06-05, 05:59 AM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1133849171159860.xml&coll=1

It isn't just speculation anymore
I think it's still speculation betting on a long shot chance.

Col. Jacob Ruppert
12-06-05, 06:24 AM
I think its worth a shot. Give him a 1 year deal and an option.

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 07:52 AM
Steve Phillips on ESPN's Mike and Mike:

"Nomar will not go to the Yankees"

PittsburghYankeeFan
12-06-05, 07:55 AM

Do we really care what Steve Phillips has to say?

Jim Roche
12-06-05, 07:58 AM
Steve Phillips ????
(sarcasm) I really value the opinion of Steve Phillips?

ring403
12-06-05, 08:01 AM
It's a nice thought, but the chances of Nomar accepting a role where he is not playing a set position, especially when there are other teams that will make him and everyday player at one position, are not very good.

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 08:06 AM
It's a nice thought, but the chances of Nomar accepting a role where he is not playing a set position, especially when there are other teams that will make him and everyday player at one position, are not very good.
You never know. Maybe he just wants to win. Sure he might be able to get an everyday job with a cellar club, or he can choose to take a Utility job (1B, CF, RF, 2B) instead of an everyday role.

BOTTOM LINE: No matter where he signs he's getting a one year deal. Perhaps he would rather sign w/ the Yankees and have a shot in the Playoffs than a bottom team.

ieddyi
12-06-05, 08:14 AM
NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/372090p-316519c.html)

Agent: Nomar for hire

Would play anywhere for Yanks

""What we need for this team is to be more flexible," Cashman said. "I just don't want to make us any slower and one-dimensional than we already are in our offense."

Does this scare anyone else just a bit. Like he's saying that all those power hitters is a problem and he's looking for a low ops bunter?/ We had the best offense in MLB last year- don't diss it too much

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 08:17 AM
""What we need for this team is to be more flexible," Cashman said. "I just don't want to make us any slower and one-dimensional than we already are in our offense."

Does this scare anyone else just a bit. Like he's saying that all those power hitters is a problem and he's looking for a low ops bunter?/ We had the best offense in MLB last year- don't diss it too much
I think the hype that the Sox had with all that speed is laying on his mind. And the speed the Angels had. Speed does play a part in the game. Yes OPS/SLG is more important, but let's not rule out the fact that guys with speed turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples.

Yankees1962
12-06-05, 08:23 AM

A baseball team shouldn't be tied down to playing the game only one way like station to station. You should have some flexibility in your lineup so that you're also able to move runners along through situational hitting.

sjb23
12-06-05, 08:45 AM
Garciaparra @ 3rd, A-Rod at SS, Jeter to CF......

Y NOT, DAMMIT ?????

destro
12-06-05, 08:47 AM
jeter no cf

jnewmark
12-06-05, 08:59 AM
You never know. Maybe he just wants to win. Sure he might be able to get an everyday job with a cellar club, or he can choose to take a Utility job (1B, CF, RF, 2B) instead of an everyday role.

This is what I don't get about Nomar : when did he become a viable CF, RF, 2B ? I know he can play SS,and he had a handfull of games at 3rd, but where and when has he ever played 2nd, or the outfield? And why do teams like the Yankees think he can just step into those positions on a day to day basis?

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 09:06 AM
This is what I don't get about Nomar : when did he become a viable CF, RF, 2B ? I know he can play SS,and he had a handfull of games at 3rd, but where and when has he ever played 2nd, or the outfield? And why do teams like the Yankees think he can just step into those positions on a day to day basis?
If he can play SS and 3B, I'm sure he can handle 2B. OF is another question.

surge511
12-06-05, 09:09 AM

Why do people think Jeter could do it? He's never played a different position in his life. It is because people see the physical tools that are valuable for different positions, and Nomar is a great athlete. Nothing is a guarantee.

As far as him actually coming here, it certainly is unlikely. However, he would be a DH here, which would enable him to avoid injuries and really establish himself as a great hitter again. Plus, that would put him on a winning team and back into the rivalry. There are reasons why he would come here, but if Nomar is looking for an everyday position in the IF, he won't look here.

ojo
12-06-05, 09:11 AM

what he's saying is he doesn't need useless guys like ruben sierra on the bench when they had to trot bernie williams out to CF 100+ times last season. he wants to create a situation where you've got several VIABLE, in-house solutions to the problems that arise throughout the season. flexibility allows for that.

ring403
12-06-05, 09:34 AM

I don't think he's changing his philosophy. Look at some of the names that the Yankees have been looking at: Giles, Michaels, Wilkerson, and even Bradley. These guys can all get on base, along with bringing some decent speed as well as other assets to the table. Couple this with the reports of them being interested in Pierre only as a one year stop gap solution, and I think it's fairly clear that Cashman values the ability to get on base as highly as ever.

bostonyankeefan
12-06-05, 09:35 AM
I understand that he is injury prone, but I would take a risk and sign Nomar if he is willing to accept a utility role. He is a first pitch swinger, which can drive you crazy at times, but he is a good clutch hitter.

ojo
12-06-05, 09:44 AM
I understand that he is injury prone, but I would take a risk and sign Nomar if he is willing to accept a utility role. He is a first pitch swinger, which can drive you crazy at times, but he is a good clutch hitter.

he'd be NY's chone figgins starting in 4 or 5 positions (what, 2b, rf/lf, 1b, dh?) if he came here. til he got hurt and ended his season anyway...;)

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 09:46 AM
Nomar's career numbers:
AVG: .320
OBP: .367
SLG: .544
OPS: .911

Last year's month by month break down
Month: Avg/OBP/SLG/OPS
Aug: .338/.378/.574/.952
Sep: .311/.333/.524/.858

MisterNovember
12-06-05, 09:53 AM

Now I fully expect Nomar to be a Yankee by Christmas.

RhodyYanksFan
12-06-05, 09:54 AM

I've changed my mind about this. I'd like to see Nomar come here. He won't be taking anybody's job, knows his role (below A-Rod and Jeter) and has a big chip on his shoulder about the past few years.

It's not everyday you can get a career .320 hitter and have no expectaions for the season.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-06-05, 10:05 AM
What is Steve Phillips doing now? lol

I wouldn't mind him being a utility guy... just as long as we have another utility guy in case he gets hurt...

I would fully expect him to play everyday though

ojo
12-06-05, 10:07 AM
I've changed my mind about this. I'd like to see Nomar come here. He won't be taking anybody's job, knows his role (below A-Rod and Jeter) and has a big chip on his shoulder about the past few years.

It's not everyday you can get a career .320 hitter and have no expectaions for the season.

why would his 'role' be 'below' arod and jeter?

as if they're 'above' any of the other 23 guys? i don't get it.

Shadowkan
12-06-05, 10:09 AM
As the Nomar rumors are swirling (just look in all the local papers today), I thought about it for awhile. If Nomar was willing to be a super utility type guy who is willing to play any position asked, it wouldn't be a terrible idea. The guy could always hit and he is a good athlete (so he should be able to play some outfield). Obviously the concern is his health, but a low salary with incentives may be a worthy investment.

effdamets
12-06-05, 10:24 AM
Do we really want Nomar patrolling any part of the already bad Yankee outfield?

BeantownYankee
12-06-05, 10:25 AM
ok you can shoot me for this. But what if we were able to trade Cano to the twins for Hunter in some kind of deal with maybe more involved then sign Nomar for 2B? 2B is much easier to fill then CF, and lets face it how many 2B stay with a team their entire career?

effdamets
12-06-05, 10:27 AM
Maybe if he accepted a minor league deal to convert himself to a centerfielder, proves himself that he actually CAN play the outfield, then maybe he is worth the risk. But I can't imagine this guy getting hurt less while playing in center (or even the corner OF positions)....

Yankees1962
12-06-05, 10:28 AM
ok you can shoot me for this. But what if we were able to trade Cano to the twins for Hunter in some kind of deal with maybe more involved then sign Nomar for 2B? 2B is much easier to fill then CF, and lets face it how many 2B stay with a team their entire career?
Cano's value besides potentially being a great hitter is his positive economic impact on the Yankees payroll for the next 2-3 years before arbitration.

MisterNovember
12-06-05, 10:30 AM
why would his 'role' be 'below' arod and jeter?

as if they're 'above' any of the other 23 guys? i don't get it.

I think he's saying that in Nomar's case, there won't be the "alpha dog" battle than many expected when ARod came to town. Nomar knows that at this point in his career, he needs to be a role player, get the job done, and hopefully get himself back on track.

The more I think about it, the more i'd like the Yankees to take a shot at him.

effdamets
12-06-05, 10:30 AM
Why trade Cano for Hunter when the Yankees will be able to sign Torii after this season for nothing in exchange?? Of all the young Yankee players, Cano is the last one that should get traded. Not that he's untouchable, because if you can get a perennial all-star type player, then do the deal. Otherwise, let the kid play second for the next 15 years.... And sign Hunter for 2007 and beyond.

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-05, 10:32 AM
Maybe if he accepted a minor league deal to convert himself to a centerfielder, proves himself that he actually CAN play the outfield, then maybe he is worth the risk. But I can't imagine this guy getting hurt less while playing in center (or even the corner OF positions)....
He start in Spring training, and if not ready bubba can play while he works on CF in the minors.

Although, I do like him better in the roaming position.

I think signing him has nothing but upside.

effdamets
12-06-05, 10:34 AM
I think signing him has nothing but upside.
It'll only be upside if he didn't get hurt....