PDA

View Full Version : Is there a role for Garciaparra on the Yankees?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ryanthe13th
12-16-05, 04:46 PM
This is gut wrenching. If that guy doesn't sign here, I will probably hate him for this.

TheTinoMobile
12-16-05, 05:06 PM
"The Yankees are one of four teams that Nomar is considering," Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, said in an e-mail message. "We are in the process of reviewing the options and we hope to make a decision in the near future."

Several teams are apparently no longer options for Garciaparra, including the Toronto Blue Jays (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/torontobluejays/index.html?inline=nyt-org), the San Diego Padres (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/sandiegopadres/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and the Los Angeles Dodgers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/losangelesdodgers/index.html?inline=nyt-org). The Blue Jays decided that Garciaparra's price was too high, the Padres have not negotiated with Tellem in a week, and the Dodgers signed Bill Mueller yesterday to play third base.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/sports/baseball/15yanks.html

Looking better by the minute....

flymick24
12-16-05, 05:07 PM

the dodgers are sitll players.. they want nomar to play 1st base or the outfield

Yankeeah
12-16-05, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the Blue Jays can't just throw money around. That would be absurd.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 05:35 PM

Don't kid yourself, the Dodgers are still in this thing. However if you want to find out just how badly ask SprintNet's friend.

Yankees13
12-16-05, 05:39 PM

The chances of Nomar to the Yanks spiked, dropped, and then spiked again the last few days, it will be interesting to see where he lands, I give the Yankees a little less than even odds to land him.

Yankees13
12-16-05, 05:41 PM
the dodgers are sitll players.. they want nomar to play 1st base or the outfield
I need to read things more carefully, all I read was Dodgers no longer an option. However Nomar would have to play the OF for LA, Kent is playing 1st.

NDBoston
12-16-05, 06:07 PM
I need to read things more carefully, all I read was Dodgers no longer an option. However Nomar would have to play the OF for LA, Kent is playing 1st.

Kent is playing 2B until at least July. Cesar Izturis returns from elbow surgery supposedly then.

MiamiKat
12-16-05, 06:11 PM
Jayson Stark on MK Show is saying that the Dodgers are the best bet because of Nomar's houses in SoCal.
:wtf:

Then I guess we can expect A-Rod to ask for a trade to the Marlins any day now.

BJG
12-16-05, 06:12 PM
Kent is playing 2B until at least July. Cesar Izturis returns from elbow surgery supposedly then.

He's also a surprsingly good 2B defensively, is Mr. Kent.

dabomb2045
12-16-05, 06:13 PM
I'm hoping for the best....but I dont expect Nomar to end up with the Yanks

THEBOSS84
12-16-05, 06:19 PM
We all know he's going to be a Dodger any minute now.
Don't get your hopes up, it just ain't happening.
And I consider myself an optimistic fan.

longtimeyankeefan
12-16-05, 06:21 PM
I want Nomar to sign with the Yankees for one reason - I want to be able to sit in the bleachers and scream

Nomar - I love you:D

Michaels07
12-16-05, 06:24 PM
If not Nomar we move on to Cairo.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 06:49 PM
Has Cashman met with Nomar yet a la the Dodger's GM and Nomar meeting on Thursday?

YankeeFan1
12-16-05, 06:51 PM
Has Cashman met with Nomar yet a la the Dodgers GM and Nomar meeting on Thursday? Even if he did, you would moan that Cashman was not persuasive enough or Nomar would have signed already. I highly doubt that Nomar is coming to the Yankees so you'll get your chance to knock Cashman for the millionth time.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 06:53 PM
Even if he did, you would moan that Cashman was not persuasive enough or Nomar would have signed already. I highly doubt that Nomar is coming to the Yankees so you'll get your chance to knock Cashman for the millionth time.

I asked a freakin legitimate question - Has your king met with Nomar, being that that's what it takes to get someone you desire, especially if other GM's are visiting with him. No tricks up my sleeve. If he hasn't met with Nomar I think that I shouldn't be the only one moaning or having deep concerns.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
12-16-05, 07:15 PM
I wonder how much effect Johnny Damon still being out there has on the Yankees wallet? If Damon were to suddenly accept an offer from a team other than the Yankees before Nomar signs, then I think the Yankees might be willing to go higher on him. And by the same token, nothing is happening with Bernie Williams at the moment either.

It seems to me that Johnny Damon might be holding the proceedings up since some of the same teams are involved. With Damon it's the Dodgers, Boston and the Yankees. With Nomar it's the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and Cleveland. (Yikes, only Drew Carey would want to live in Cleveland.) And of course, A$$PN is of no help as every player in baseball is going somewhere other than playing for the Yankees.

If it were up to me, I'd pass on Damon. Too much money and he'll become another Bernie in a year or three. Gotta save some money for Roger just in case. Meanwhile, I'd rather have Nomar, Bernie and Cairo in that order.

Fabien Brandy
12-16-05, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK]I wonder how much effect Johnny Damon still being out there has on the Yankees wallet? QUOTE]
One nice thing about the Yankees is that I don't think they have a set budget like the Twins where the entire organization is frozen until Jacque Jones officially refuses arbitration or they risk Pohlad filing for bankruptcy. I think the Yankees do have internal budgetary frameworks but don't let them hold up the major moves.

YankeePride1967
12-16-05, 07:29 PM
4-5 million, if true (and everyone is reporting that), won't do it. The Yanks are offering him close to Cairo money and Cairo is no Nomar. I'll be disappointed...actually pissed.. if it came down to money and the Yanks sign Cairo for a million or so less, even 2-3 million. I guess we will never know as players and agents usually take the high road and don't burn bridges.

Again, if true, to offer Nomar 4 million and basically a utility role, albeit where he should get enough at bats, is probably an insult to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already turned off by the Yanks offer and just names them as a contender for his services to bring his price up. I truly believe that if the right offer were already made he'd probably be a Yank, or they'd at least stand a better chance. Just my gut.

I offer him a chance to play full time (combo of 1B/DH with an occasional game when Jeter rests at SS) and offer him a guaranteed 1/5 deal with incentives that if he plays enough that could bring it up to 8-9.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 08:19 PM
I offer him a chance to play full time (combo of 1B/DH with an occasional game when Jeter rests at SS) and offer him a guaranteed 1/5 deal with incentives that if he plays enough that could bring it up to 8-9.

Now we're talking. The Yanks need to act fast and get creative if Nomar is still on the fence.

YankeePride1967
12-16-05, 08:23 PM
Now we're talking. The Yanks need to act fast and get creative if Nomar is still on the fence.

However, if LA makes a comparable offer and because of the fact that Mia lives near there, Grady Little (Nomar's former manager) manages there and Derek Lowe is also there that Nomar takes LA's offer, then I don't get in a bidding war for someone that has been more injury prone than Kevin Brown the past 3 seasons. I do feel as though he's worth the offer I displayed, I don't think he warrants more.

ring403
12-16-05, 08:24 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/sports/baseball/17yanks.html
Garciaparra Homes In on Dodgers

It seems less and less likely that Nomar Garciaparra will sign with the Yankees. Garciaparra is close to deciding where to play next season, but Brian Cashman said he spent no time dealing with free agents yesterday.

There were indications that Garciaparra would sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who would probably use him at first base. Garciaparra's meeting with the Dodgers on Thursday lasted several hours and included the team owner Frank McCourt, General Manager Ned Colletti and Tommy Lasorda, the senior vice president.
I don't think you meet for "several hours" with a team's top brass unless you have already made your decision to sign there.

Mark19
12-16-05, 08:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/sports/baseball/17yanks.html

Garciaparra Homes In on Dodgers

It seems less and less likely that Nomar Garciaparra will sign with the Yankees. Garciaparra is close to deciding where to play next season, but Brian Cashman said he spent no time dealing with free agents yesterday.

There were indications that Garciaparra would sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who would probably use him at first base. Garciaparra's meeting with the Dodgers on Thursday lasted several hours and included the team owner Frank McCourt, General Manager Ned Colletti and Tommy Lasorda, the senior vice president.

"Nomar continues to talk with players, friends and family members," his agent, Arn Tellem, said in an e-mail message. "He is weighing his options carefully, and while he has no plans on making a decision today, he intends to do so in the near future."

Signing with the Dodgers would allow Garciaparra to play close to his home and away from the news media spotlight in New York. Garciaparra was uncomfortable with the scrutiny he faced in Boston.

If the Yankees lose out on Garciaparra, they plan to sign the free agent Miguel Cairo as a utility player.

Mark19
12-16-05, 08:31 PM
well damn it, we didn't really need Nomar but he would have been a good addition

at least he isn't going to cleveland

YankeeFan1
12-16-05, 08:42 PM
Well, Nomar is gone. I hope that he stays healthy and gets that huge contract next year. I wish him well.

27IsNext
12-16-05, 08:42 PM
Well that stinks. I would've liked Cashman to make more of an effort, but it's not like we absolutely needed him, so I'm not too disappointed.

I agree with ring403 here, no way he wasn't already a Dodger prior to that meeting.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 08:43 PM
I don't believe Cashman even met with Nomar. Correct me if I'm wrong; maybe they have met. If he hasn't met with him, is that any way to sign a player you desire? Do you stand a chance against a team meeting face to face, saying the right things, developing a relationship and probably wining and dining him? If Cashman has met Nomar, nevermind.

I Love Wang
12-16-05, 08:45 PM
I don't believe Cashman even met with Nomar. Correct me if I'm wrong; maybe they have met. If he hasn't met with him, is that any way to sign a player you desire? Do you stand a chance against a team meeting face to face, saying the right things, developing a relationship and probably wining and dining him? If Cashman has met Nomar, nevermind.

Why do you hate Cashman so much? Did he kill your dog?

FYI, Cashman met with Garciaparra's agent. It doesn't sound like Garciaparra was ever interested.

YankeeFan1
12-16-05, 08:46 PM
I don't believe Cashman even met with Nomar. Correct me if I'm wrong; maybe they have met. If he hasn't met with him, is that any way to sign a player you desire? Do you stand a chance against a team meeting face to face, saying the right things, developing a relationship and probably wining and dining him? If Cashman has met Nomar, nevermind. LOL! It's like a rush for you, isn't it?

AMYanks
12-16-05, 08:46 PM

I know he had dinner with Tellem to discuss Garciaparra, but I'm not sure if he was there or not.

27IsNext
12-16-05, 08:48 PM

I agree that he should've put more effort into this (unless Cashman didn't think Nomar was that high a priority for some reason).

YankeeFan1
12-16-05, 08:51 PM
I agree that he should've put more effort into this (unless Cashman didn't think Nomar was that high a priority for some reason). I don't get this, why would anyone think that signing Nomar was a priority? Nomar was a luxury at best. Since when did an injury ridden 1st baseman/DH become a priority? If it was, then Cashman should have been going after Frank Thomas, not Nomar.

The one thing that I've noticed is that people seem to forget that the reason got all their big names from the days of Ruth was because they would pay the most. Now, they offer salaries that are for the most part comparable to other teams so players are less likely to come to NY until they really wanted to for some reason or the other. Most players are businessmen, not romantics.

ieddyi
12-16-05, 08:52 PM
I agree that he should've put more effort into this (unless Cashman didn't think Nomar was that high a priority for some reason).

Well, at least we're finding out that players don't want to play here BEFORE we sign them (see Renteria, Wells and Manny)

27IsNext
12-16-05, 08:54 PM
Nevermind, I forgot he met with Tellem.

YankeePride1967
12-16-05, 08:59 PM

I don't think any GM would be using their time wisely to pursue a player that seems to have a problem playing more than 60 games a year. I don't know if he met with him, and I doubt if it will ever be known.

ring403
12-16-05, 09:02 PM

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051216/SPORTS01/512160381/1108/SPORTS01
Cashman wouldn't even acknowledge having spoken to Garciaparra. One direct question about his interest resulted in an elaborate no comment that lasted nearly 90 seconds.

"We have a few ideas that we're exploring with various people. I don't want to specifically address where someone would fit in our mind and why," he said.It's speculation, but the Yankees may have backed off on Nomar because other deals are in the works.

27IsNext
12-16-05, 09:06 PM
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051216/SPORTS01/512160381/1108/SPORTS01It's speculation, but the Yankees may have backed off on Nomar because other deals are in the works.

I rescended the statement, but thanks for bringing up this theory.

Yankeeah
12-16-05, 09:19 PM
Other deals eh? I wonder if that means Cash is working on a trade, or that Nomar has better deals comign his way

ICEBERG18
12-16-05, 09:32 PM
It's speculation, but the Yankees may have backed off on Nomar because other deals are in the works.

Cashman is waiting for the Nomar phone call. I don't think he's coming here anyway.

sprintnet
12-16-05, 09:33 PM
Other deals eh? I wonder if that means Cash is working on a trade, or that Nomar has better deals comign his way

Nomar Garciaparra met with Dodgers executives for a second straight day and could be close to selecting his new team.
It looks like the Dodgers are out in front of the Astros, Indians and Yankees. "We met again today. He came out again today with Mia [wife Mia Hamm]," Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said. "I can tell you from my perspective both meetings were very good. They took the time to come out here two days in a row." Dec. 16 - 9:40 pm et

Now will you guys believe me when i told you early today he is going to sign with the dodgers? i also said it was down to 2 teams but after todays meeting Nomar came away with the idea that he is going to sign with LA.

But to give a waste of time pitcher in Ron villone 2 mil is a joke.

AJW
12-16-05, 09:35 PM
Cashman is waiting for the Nomar phone call. I don't think he's coming here anyway.

I agree. I always felt he was going to the Dodgers.

ICEBERG18
12-16-05, 09:36 PM

What the hell does that have to do with Nomar?

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:39 PM
Now will you guys believe me when i told you early today he is going to sign with the dodgers? i also said it was down to 2 teams but after todays meeting Nomar came away with the idea that he is going to sign with LA.

It was never a question of believing you are not, it was that you had no credibility other than you know a guy who knows a guy which really doen't fly on these boards, so if your looking for a "boy you showed us" you won't find it here. Along with that alot of people had the feelign he was a California guy and really what you brought to the table was not persuasive and if Nomar does in fact sign with the Dodgers I highly doubt anyone will really think "wow that guy knows whats up". You proved nothing, and what the hell does that last comment about Villone have to do with anything? Are you a troll?

sprintnet
12-16-05, 09:40 PM

about the same as the 2 pages of talk about Mussina a few pages back :) what it has to do is they could have maybe added that 2 mil to a offer for Nomar since its just a wasted 2 mil they could of put it to better use.

Nomar did not sign with LA because of 2 mil more but maybe a offer of 2 mil more might have made him think he was wanted.

LA put out the red carpet for him while Cash would not even say they made a offer to him.

My friend told me (Works with sprint for the MLB players) a few players have told him Cash is not offering the cash out there hence why we are not signing anyone.

Evil Empire
12-16-05, 09:41 PM
Damn it.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:42 PM
My friend told me (Works with sprint for the MLB players) a few players have told him Cash is not offering the cash out there hence why we are not signing anyone.
Is this the same friend that is close to Nomar? Is that why your user name is Sprintnet?

Yankeeah
12-16-05, 09:42 PM
Nomar Garciaparra met with Dodgers executives for a second straight day and could be close to selecting his new team.
It looks like the Dodgers are out in front of the Astros, Indians and Yankees. "We met again today. He came out again today with Mia [wife Mia Hamm]," Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said. "I can tell you from my perspective both meetings were very good. They took the time to come out here two days in a row." Dec. 16 - 9:40 pm et

Well that's just terrible, the whole thing.
The last comment is misplaced and uninformed.

The whole Dodgers thing is a guess, don't act like you have a source less then 2 degrees.

27IsNext
12-16-05, 09:43 PM

I fail to see the bad in showing a little fiscal restraint for a change. Or would you have preferred signing B.J. Ryan to 4 years/$48 million a la the Tampa Faction way of running our team?

AMYanks
12-16-05, 09:46 PM

Improving the bullpen sucks!!!!

Evil Empire
12-16-05, 09:47 PM
Improving the bullpen sucks!!!!

What a waste!!!!1 Getting a LOOGY type for nearly nothing and it's a waste!!!!1

ICEBERG18
12-16-05, 09:48 PM
The second day of Dodger Stadium meetings with Garciaparra further fueled speculation that the one-time Fenway Park hero would accept the Dodgers' offer to be their No. 5 hitter, in part because of the hometown connection (with a Boston flavor) and in part because of a willingness to overpay for short-term contracts.

Garciaparra and agent Arn Tellem met with Dodgers officials Thursday. On Friday, Garciaparra was accompanied by soccer star wife Mia Hamm (they live in Manhattan Beach). In addition to the Dodgers, Garciaparra is being pursued by the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Atlanta Braves.

"He told me his thoughts, I told him my thoughts, and I don't think our thoughts are that far off," Colletti said about Garciaparra's defensive positioning. "He was amenable to doing whatever we needed him to do. He just wants to know, as any player would, how to prepare."

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051216&content_id=1283364&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 09:48 PM

We clearly can't afford Nomar now

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:49 PM
What a waste!!!!1 Getting a LOOGY type for nearly nothing and it's a waste!!!!1 Yea what the hell is Cashman doing?! He should be going all out with millions in a briefcase trying to lure a player that is more of luxury than a neccesity to New York. Thank god for the sources that work for Sprint.

sprintnet
12-16-05, 09:50 PM
I fail to see the bad in showing a little fiscal restraint for a change. Or would you have preferred signing B.J. Ryan to 4 years/$48 million a la the Tampa Faction way of running our team?

You like giving 2 mil to a loser? anyway yes i work with sprint also and so does my friend but i gave you info and most of you want to discard it so why should anyone come on here and sign up and post.

I understand links are great i love links to things but there are just some stuff you are not going to get via a link.

Look i wanted nomar to sign with the yankees so i kept up on things with him as best as i could but neither cashman nor nomar have much intrest in each other.

MiamiKat
Well, that nails it. I'm certainly trusting someone who works for a communications company when it comes to the real dirt on Cashman.

:rolleyes:

(BTW, players are signing with the Yankees. It's just that the few marquee names this offseason went elsewhere for a change to get grossly overpaid...and good thing too.)

Yankeeah
We clearly can't afford Nomar now

I know, I mean we're the New York Yankees, if we were the Royals then we could afford Nomar no problem.

Evil Empire
12-16-05, 09:51 PM
You like giving 2 mil to a loser?
How is he a loser?

Yankeeah
12-16-05, 09:52 PM
You like giving 2 mil to a loser? .

Well that's just not cool. Explain how he's a loser

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:54 PM
Well, that nails it. I'm certainly trusting someone who works for a communications company when it comes to the real dirt on Cashman.

:rolleyes:
Are you kidding? Someone who works for a communications company is right up there with the Tony Danza in regards to all our baseball news. Heck get me a cellphone operator and Tony Danza live and I'll tell you everything weeks before it happens.

sprintnet
12-16-05, 09:54 PM
Well that's just not cool. Explain how he's a loser

This is not a villone bashing thread but the guys stats speak for himself.

check his stats and who he was brought in to pitch against and see how he did enough said.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 09:55 PM
How is he a loser?

Well, he does have pretty awful career numbers. Hopefully he is just used 1 batter per game

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 09:57 PM
This is not a villone bash thread but the guys stats speak for himself. Yea that 2.46 ERA in the AL before the trade speaks volumes, and also that K/9 of 9.84 for all of last year is something to really turn your nose up about especially when you get someone who can give you innings and you get him for next to nothing. While he doesnt have great stats he is still much better than a Wayne Franklin or a Felix Heredia for a lefty in the pen.

Evil Empire
Well, he does have pretty awful career numbers. Hopefully he is just used 1 batter per game

What a loser. Oh man, such a loser. Tanyon Sturtze and Farnsworth are losers too then.

Yankeeah
This is not a villone bash thread but the guys stats speak for himself.

Look, if you don't liek the guy, fine, but don't call him a loser. That's immature, stupid, and will get you released.

Look at his numbers with the Mariners last year. He clearly wasn't comfortable in Florida.

AMYanks
12-16-05, 09:59 PM

His 3.52 ERA as a reliever over the past three years (under 3 in the AL) tell me he's not bad.

You can't use career statistics, because he used to be a starter, and was awful. As a reliever, he's solid.

I Love Wang
12-16-05, 09:59 PM

He has good stats. His problems in FLA look like a fluke. He had a .684 OPSA, with that ERA? Doesn't make sense, especially considering he struck out MORE guys. It was probably just bad luck. In Seattle, as a reliever, for the past two years, he's been very good.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:01 PM
What a loser. Oh man, such a loser. Tanyon Sturtze and Farnsworth are losers too then.

I'll give Farnsworth the benefit of the doubt because he is young, but Sturtze has had an awful awful career too, so awful that people drool if he posts a 4.60 era

Evil Empire
12-16-05, 10:03 PM
I'll give Farnsworth the benefit of the doubt because he is young, but Sturtze has had an awful awful career too, so awful that people drool if he posts a 4.60 era

No, no benefits of the doubt. Career numbers define them as career losers.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:04 PM
No, no benefits of the doubt. Career numbers define them as career losers.

What defines a winner then in your personal opinion and not someones obscure definition

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:05 PM
What defines a winner then in your personal opinion and not someones obscure definition
Tony Danza is a winner.

Evil Empire
12-16-05, 10:06 PM

You, my friend are a winner. (In other words, I have no answer)

27IsNext
You like giving 2 mil to a loser? anyway yes i work with sprint also and so does my friend but i gave you info and most of you want to discard it so why should anyone come on here and sign up and post.

I understand links are great i love links to things but there are just some stuff you are not going to get via a link.

Look i wanted nomar to sign with the yankees so i kept up on things with him as best as i could but neither cashman nor nomar have much intrest in each other.

Chump change for an early-inning/blowout reliever that has been solid in the past? Yeah okay. Why don't you leave if you don't like the way things run here--or better yet, why not follow forum policy yourself, and stop player-bashing?

RhodeyYankee2638
Tony Danza is a winner.

That goes without saying

sprintnet
Tony Danza is a winner.

And for those who don't think he is talking to Friends about where he is going to sign here is a clip for a post on yahoo.

Nomar continues to talk with players, friends and family members," Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, said in an e-mail Friday. "He is weighing his options carefully and while he has no plans on making a decision today, he intends to do so in the near future."

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:07 PM
And for those who don't think he is talking to Friends about where he is going to sign here is a clip for a post on yahoo.

I pray Tony Danza signs with the Yankees

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:07 PM

Nomar continues to talk with players, friends and family members," Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, said in an e-mail Friday. "He is weighing his options carefully and while he has no plans on making a decision today, he intends to do so in the near future."
Is there a sarcastic "you showed me" smiley face?

Yankeeah
12-16-05, 10:09 PM

We need a "douche bag" smiley face, it would fit perfectly here

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:10 PM
I'd have to agree but I don't want to go against forum policy and call other members names, Deborah already scolded me about that ;)

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:11 PM

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb035.gif

AMYanks
12-16-05, 10:12 PM

Heh, douche bag face.

That would be an interesting looking smiley to say the least.

NewEraYanks2527

:scared: Do you think this one works?

Yankeeah
I'd have to agree but I don't want to go against forum policy and call other members names, Deborah already scolded me about that ;)

Would it still be considered a smiley though?

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:13 PM
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb035.gif Where the heck did you get that one?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:14 PM
Where the heck did you get that one?

Under the smileys click "more" and theres hundreds more under there

I Love Wang
12-16-05, 10:14 PM
I pray Tony Danza signs with the Yankees

My friend, who hangs out with him, said that Danza is close to signing with the Angels.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:15 PM
Would it still be considered a smiley though? Hmmm thats a tough one.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:15 PM
My friend, who hangs out with him, said that Danza is close to signing with the Angels.

Is Danny Glover going to be our manager?

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:16 PM
Under the smileys click "more" and theres hundreds more under there I only got like one page.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:17 PM
I only got like one page.

I have 14 pages of them, thats odd, are your gerkin my jerkin?

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:19 PM
I have 14 pages of them, thats odd, are your gerkin my jerkin? No I swear, how do you get to the other pages, I clicked more and it just has one page.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:22 PM
No I swear, how do you get to the other pages, I clicked more and it just has one page.

I dont know.... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/653.gif

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:23 PM
I dont know.... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/653.gif Lucky :wtf: is the last smiley on the page I have avaible.

NewEraYanks2527
12-16-05, 10:25 PM
Well I better go study for my exam tomorrow, if anyone elses friend hears something because they work for Tony Danza let me know.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:25 PM
Lucky :wtf: is the last smiley on the page I have avaible.
Whoa, thats crazy http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/071.gifhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/071.gif

Jasbro
12-16-05, 10:34 PM

I don't think anyone here doubts that Nomar speaks to his friends. You just need to understand that someone is going to get a lot of flack when they burst onto a website like this for the very first time with supposed inside info that is from a "friend" or a "friend of a friend".

Your info may very well be solid. Or it may be completely worthless. Regardless, I suggest taking a look at some other threads here that contain countless references to 3rd, 4th and 5th hand "information". It is comical to see how much BS is floated, often by trolls, where a "friend of a friend" is the source.

Your entire approach from the start has been arrogant and confrontational, while citing a classic, and notoriously unreliable, cliche as a source.

Why are you so surprised that you have met with so much resistance?

destro
12-16-05, 10:49 PM
tony danza confirms that ron guidry has moved from coaching back to the starting rotation, and that our new center fielder (recently aquired from the surf dawgs) will be rickey henderson

at this time neither angela nor mona have further comment on the situation.

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 11:16 PM
Why do you hate Cashman so much? Did he kill your dog?

FYI, Cashman met with Garciaparra's agent. It doesn't sound like Garciaparra was ever interested.

:lol: There is no way in hell you are serious and believe this was good enough. Serious question: Are you old enough to hit work force yet? I'm curious because I'm not sure if you comprehend what makes for good business decisions and how to acheive goals.

Nor is there any way in hell you know what Nomar's intentions were or are the second he became a FA. You're looking mighty silly with your lame excuses. Is Cashman your daddy? Your uncle? A frequent guest for cocktails?

Vin
12-16-05, 11:36 PM
I don't see a role for Nomah. We'd be better off finding a diamond in the rough CF who can slug like big poopy.

Kulish29
12-17-05, 12:38 AM
I don't see a role for Nomah. We'd be better off finding a diamond in the rough CF who can slug like big poopy.

Where exactly are they going to get that?

ChrisV82
12-17-05, 12:40 AM
I thought we were supposed to hear something by yesterday. Thread fails to deliver.

Kulish29
12-17-05, 12:46 AM

What did Joey, Chandler, Ross, Monica, Rachel and Phoebe tell Nomar to do? Did Nomar console Joey about NBC canceling his show?

Vin
12-17-05, 12:52 AM
Where exactly are they going to get that?

In my dreams. In all seriousness, perhaps somewhere in the minors or some trade.

ring403
12-17-05, 01:06 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134799625268260.xml&coll=1
In a sign that Garciaparra could be leaning toward the Dodgers, he met yesterday with the team for the second straight day, this time accompanied by wife Mia Hamm.

ryanthe13th
12-17-05, 01:34 AM
No Nomar. Don't do it!

mhmajp
12-17-05, 01:38 AM
Nomar can play as many positions as Cairo and can actually hit the baseball. He'd be a real asset who could fill the void if ARod or Jeter went down for an extended period. Cairo would be a black hole in the batting order if he had to play for 2 weeks.

Didn't Miggy bat .299 with the Yankees last time?

Yankeeah
12-17-05, 01:58 AM
Didn't Miggy bat .299 with the Yankees last time?

Yeah, somewhere around there.
If he would return, I would expect numbers somewhere between 2005 with the Mets and 2004 with the Yanks. He said Donny helped him with his swing a lot, so maybe he could help some more. I would love to see Cairo back.

mhmajp
12-17-05, 01:59 AM
:lol: There is no way in hell you are serious and believe this was good enough. Serious question: Are you old enough to hit work force yet? I'm curious because I'm not sure if you comprehend what makes for good business decisions and how to acheive goals.

Nor is there any way in hell you know what Nomar's intentions were or are the second he became a FA. You're looking mighty silly with your lame excuses. Is Cashman your daddy? Your uncle? A frequent guest for cocktails?

If Cashman and the Yankees had a real, serious interest in Nomar, your comments would make sense. The most sensible, basic business approach is to intelligently allocate resources. If Cash has no interest in Nomar, then sinking time and/or money into meetings, negotiations, etc is poor business.

mhmajp
12-17-05, 02:01 AM
Yeah, somewhere around there.
If he would return, I would expect numbers somewhere between 2005 with the Mets and 2004 with the Yanks. He said Donny helped him with his swing a lot, so maybe he could help some more. I would love to see Cairo back.

Exactly. He's proven in that role, whereas Nomar, who may be a better hitter or even player, has not. Nomar would probably be very good in that role, but who knows? Miggy has shown that he can succeed in the role, and do so in NY.

BJG
12-17-05, 02:26 AM
If Cashman and the Yankees had a real, serious interest in Nomar, your comments would make sense. The most sensible, basic business approach is to intelligently allocate resources. If Cash has no interest in Nomar, then sinking time and/or money into meetings, negotiations, etc is poor business.

Course, Nomar didn't visit with Houston or Cleveland either. Did they all drop the ball too? Or, did Nomar simply, as a last step in his decision, visit the team he was 99% committed to just to cover that last 1%?

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 04:47 AM
It looks like Nomar wants to go to LA where he owns a home and he wouldn't have to deal with the NY media. Coming to the Yankees was a long shot anyway due to his personality or lack of one.

jnewmark
12-17-05, 07:49 AM
It looks like Nomar wants to go to LA where he owns a home and he wouldn't have to deal with the NY media. Coming to the Yankees was a long shot anyway due to his personality or lack of one.

I agree. It was reported that he actually owns two homes in the area, a short distance from the ballpark. Plus, a second day of meetings with the Dodgers. Does'nt look good.

Spin
12-17-05, 08:02 AM
I think Nomar is an incredible hitter, but I can not get the image of him sitting on the bench with his hands in his lap during the Yanks-Red Sox game in '04 when Jeter made that incredible catch. Do I really want that lack of passion on our team? I don't think so.

nahzo
12-17-05, 08:07 AM
Exactly. He's proven in that role, whereas Nomar, who may be a better hitter or even player, has not. Nomar would probably be very good in that role, but who knows? Miggy has shown that he can succeed in the role, and do so in NY.

This is the goofiest line of reasoning ever. How are acquisitions of players that have never been Yankees supposed to take place? In 2003, Cairo played for the Cardinals, and hit a fantastic .245. Hold your breath, he also only got on base 29% of the time. He basically had proven nothing, to anyone, at that point in his career, outside of his defensive skills. Had the Yankees not given him the opportunity to play, he wouldn't have put up a .300 AVG, and therefore wouldn't have proven himself to you.

BeantownYankee
12-17-05, 09:01 AM
I think Nomar is an incredible hitter, but I can not get the image of him sitting on the bench with his hands in his lap during the Yanks-Red Sox game in '04 when Jeter made that incredible catch. Do I really want that lack of passion on our team? I don't think so.
I also don't think Nomar has the drive for a championship. Location seems to be more important to him vs a chance for the ring.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-17-05, 09:26 AM
Can I offer a shred of optimism in this thread right now? :D ;)
Maybe, despite Nomar meeting two days in a row with L.A., he is still unsure about signing with them. Just speculation, but, its been stated that Coletti offered Nomar a contract on Wednesday. Then, he met with them Thursday and Friday... So what prevented him from signing the contract then? Yes, it could be just details to be hammered out.

But... Tellem is saying Nomar is waiting to make a decision. So, maybe that means at least his mind isnt already made up. Maybe that means he still is deciding between L.A. and somewhere(s) else, including NY.

yankeebot
12-17-05, 09:26 AM
I think Nomar is an incredible hitter, but I can not get the image of him sitting on the bench with his hands in his lap during the Yanks-Red Sox game in '04 when Jeter made that incredible catch. Do I really want that lack of passion on our team? I don't think so.It baffles me that people can define a player and their entire career by one isolated tv moment.

NewEraYanks2527
12-17-05, 09:35 AM
If Nomar goes to LA then he will probably get hurt again because he will have to play the field. If he comes to New York or Cleveland he would have been able to DH and I think that would have been better for his body even if he has hurt himself running out of the batters box. Basically I would have like to seen Nomar given a shot here but if he doesnt want to play here that shows that he has other priorities and thats fine, he can go play in the NL which I think is a bad move for him but hey whatever.

Yankeeah
12-17-05, 09:44 AM
If Nomar goes to Cleveland he won't DH, they have Hafner.

dabomb2045
12-17-05, 09:47 AM
If Nomar goes to LA then he will probably get hurt again because he will have to play the field. If he comes to New York or Cleveland he would have been able to DH and I think that would have been better for his body even if he has hurt himself running out of the batters box. Basically I would have like to seen Nomar given a shot here but if he doesnt want to play here that shows that he has other priorities and thats fine, he can go play in the NL which I think is a bad move for him but hey whatever.

it seems his priority is to be closer to home and out West....I also wonder if the NY media scares him

Irabu's Son
12-17-05, 10:15 AM
I'm surprise Baltimore hasn't made a pitch. They need a 1B and that would be a great park for Nomar to rack up numbers in.

218F
12-17-05, 10:30 AM
I really hope we sign Nomar in the super sub role. I think bench strength is going to be particularly important this year with the lack of greenies. People are going to get tired more often and need a day off/day at dh.

StatenIslandYankee
12-17-05, 11:02 AM
Jayson Stark says Nomar will be going to the Dodgers.

spiritof27
12-17-05, 11:02 AM
I'm surprise Baltimore hasn't made a pitch. They need a 1B and that would be a great park for Nomar to rack up numbers in.

They did. 1 year/4 million. Nomar declined.

The Dynasty
12-17-05, 11:12 AM

Is that his guess?

Stryder2929
12-17-05, 11:25 AM
time to castrate JDP as promised

JDPNYY
12-17-05, 11:47 AM
time to castrate JDP as promised

Has Nomar signed yet?

JeffWeaverFan
12-17-05, 11:51 AM
It sounds to me like Nomar will definitely sign with the Dodgers. Not that big of a deal though. He did only have a .320 OBP last season and I think that if Andy Phillips gets the playing time, I think he could put up similar numbers to Nomar. Plus, Phillips can also play LF and RF.

goin for 27
12-17-05, 11:52 AM
Has Nomar signed yet?

Nope. And as long as he hasn't JDP, I am with you. I want Nomar badly, he would be a fantastic get. I don't have your confidence, but I sure am hoping.....

goin for 27
12-17-05, 11:55 AM
It sounds to me like Nomar will definitely sign with the Dodgers. Not that big of a deal though. He did only have a .320 OBP last season and I think that if Andy Phillips gets the playing time, I think he could put up similar numbers to Nomar. Plus, Phillips can also play LF and RF.
If Nomar is healthy next year, (a big if, but if he is) he will have an OPS north of .800. He is a FAR better choice at the one year deal than just going with Phillips. Also, Nomar could spot start at any position if necessary, which is even more valuable.

JeffWeaverFan
12-17-05, 11:59 AM
If Nomar is healthy next year, (a big if, but if he is) he will have an OPS north of .800. He is a FAR better choice at the one year deal than just going with Phillips. Also, Nomar could spot start at any position if necessary, which is even more valuable.
He'll have an OPS right around .800 next season when he plays. Yes, he is a better choice, which is why I wanted him, but I wonder how much of a downgrade (at a much cheaper cost) Phillips is. I don't think it would be much if he plays everyday. .260/.330/.460 sounds reasonable for Andy.

Phillips can play 1B, 3B, RF, and LF. That's why I like him at an option.

goin for 27
12-17-05, 12:02 PM
He'll have an OPS right around .800 next season when he plays. Yes, he is a better choice, which is why I wanted him, but I wonder how much of a downgrade (at a much cheaper cost) Phillips is. I don't think it would be much if he plays everyday. .260/.330/.460 sounds reasonable for Andy.

Phillips can play 1B, 3B, RF, and LF. That's why I like him at an option.

I hear you, and I am pretty sure that he is the fall back option. But I do think it is a very big downgrade from Garciapparra. Garciaparra can mash, and would be unreal hitting second behind Jeter, with Sheff/ARod protecting him. Phillips is a #8, #9 at best. No contest.

Hopefully if Nomar is signed elsewhere, they can use the money for him wisely to augment the pen or something.

Yankees1962
12-17-05, 12:34 PM
I hear you, and I am pretty sure that he is the fall back option. But I do think it is a very big downgrade from Garciapparra. Garciaparra can mash, and would be unreal hitting second behind Jeter, with Sheff/ARod protecting him. Phillips is a #8, #9 at best. No contest.

Hopefully if Nomar is signed elsewhere, they can use the money for him wisely to augment the pen or something.
I'm just guessing, but I don't see the Yankees spending a great deal of money if Nomar turns them down. There is nobody available that I would want the Yankees to invest a lot of money in.

StatenIslandYankee
12-17-05, 12:41 PM
Has Nomar signed yet?

Jace
12-17-05, 12:41 PM

If Philips had an .800 OPS he's better than an obvious 8 or 9 hitter. That would make him an average to above average hitter, better than Posada last year.

StatenIslandYankee
12-17-05, 12:42 PM
Steve Phillips said Nomar will not be going to NY earlier this week.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-17-05, 12:54 PM
Well that's one thing if he's talked to Tellem or Nomar...
but if not, then that's a huge leap of logic for Mr. Stark to make :P ...wow...I could get on ESPN and say the same thing...It appears that way, but unless Stark is speaking based on something beyond what we all know, than who cares what his opinion is.

Stryder2929
12-17-05, 01:57 PM
Steve Phillips said Nomar will not be going to NY earlier this week.

you just used future and past tense in the same sentence, im very confused

goin for 27
12-17-05, 02:00 PM
If Philips had an .800 OPS he's better than an obvious 8 or 9 hitter. That would make him an average to above average hitter, better than Posada last year.

And he never will. I said that it was Nomar who would be north of .800 OPS if healthy. He could produce .900 OPS in this lineup.

Looie #19
12-17-05, 02:00 PM
I think that was just poor grammar. I think it should have read:

"Steve Phillips said Nomar will not be going to NY, earlier this week."

Espinosa's Glasses
12-17-05, 02:01 PM
I think that was just poor grammar. I think it should have read:

"Steve Phillips said Nomar will not be going to NY, earlier this week."

"Earlier this week, Steve Phillips said that Nomar will not be going to NY."

nyctalopia
12-17-05, 02:12 PM
I say BOO to south California. With its sandy beaches and beautiful women. New York, NEW YORK!

Looie #19
12-17-05, 02:13 PM
Obviously that's formed a lot better, but I was just giving my two cents as to what I thought was originally implied. For what it's worth, I don't think what I posted would be incorrect.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-17-05, 02:14 PM
Obviously that's formed a lot better, but I was just giving my two cents as to what I thought was originally implied. For what it's worth, I don't think what I posted would be incorrect.

it wouldn't be wrong... lol... i just wanted to add on...

JDPNYY
12-17-05, 02:16 PM

...and I say he'll be signing with the Yankees.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-17-05, 02:18 PM

You better be right... I already ordered my jersey

JDPNYY
12-17-05, 02:20 PM

I'll tell you what. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but if I'm wrong... I'll own up to my mistake unlike every Sportswriter nearly everytime they're wrong.

Michaels07
12-17-05, 03:05 PM
I'll tell you what. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but if I'm wrong... I'll own up to my mistake unlike every Sportswriter nearly everytime they're wrong.

His wife will make the decision, not Nomar.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-17-05, 03:46 PM

At least we know he is a normal guy

George Steinbrenner
12-17-05, 04:01 PM
I say BOO to south California. With its sandy beaches and beautiful women. New York, NEW YORK!

agreed and I like that sig

longtimeyankeefan
12-17-05, 04:01 PM

What #? 5 or 8?

Tifoso
12-17-05, 04:16 PM
agreed and I like that sig

Big sig you got there, George. :)

Jace
12-17-05, 07:58 PM

Good old Nomar, getting kicked around by Mia (and the rest of the world) again.

Don Mack
12-17-05, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandYankee

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------
You have no idea how much I want you to be right, JDPNYY. Since he hasn't made up his mind yet, there is still hope that the Yankees could overwhelm him with an offer too good to refuse. That would include forbidding the media from bothering him unless he wanted to talk with someone.

Evil Empire
12-17-05, 08:25 PM
Isn't he good friends with Jeter and Arod? Wouldn't this influence him a bit?

StatenIslandYankee
12-17-05, 08:32 PM
you just used future and past tense in the same sentence, im very confused
oops. lol. I mean earlier in the week he said that.

Evil Empire
12-17-05, 08:44 PM
oops. lol. I mean earlier in the week he said that.

I'll believe Steve Phillips when I see Nomar in the Dodger blue.

SubwayFanatic
12-18-05, 12:54 AM
Nomar signs 1-year deal with Dodgers.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=117601

Javadawg44
12-18-05, 12:55 AM

Might want to get your money back on that one.....

IncredibleByNature
12-18-05, 02:11 AM
FINALLY he makes up his mind.

I would've liked him, but eh. His loss. :D

NYDCYankee
12-18-05, 03:00 AM
He will probably get hurt again and we will have the same chance at him again next year. Don't lose heart fellas.

Yankees13
12-18-05, 04:42 AM
Hope his groin gets ripped in two in LA. :D

ryanthe13th
12-18-05, 05:50 AM
He signed for 1 year/$6 Million? Jesus christ, what were we offering him? Nomar not wearing a Yankee uniform right now is pathetic.

Cheers to picking up the mighty Hee Seop Choi instead of having the ultimate utility player on our team. This offseason has been such a let down so far.

NewEraYanks2527
12-18-05, 05:54 AM
He will probably get hurt again and we will have the same chance at him again next year. Don't lose heart fellas. Yea really. Nomar was better off seeing time in the DH. Oh well, cross another one off the list.

Yankees1962
12-18-05, 05:56 AM
He signed for 1 year/$6 Million? Jesus christ, what were we offering him? Nomar not wearing a Yankee uniform right now is pathetic.

Cheers to picking up the mighty Hee Seop Choi instead of having the ultimate utility player on our team. This offseason has been such a let down so far.
This offseason hasn't been a letdown for me because I think I know what the Yankees are trying to do and in the long run the Yankees might be better off. As far as Nomar, don't assume the Yankees were outbid, but Nomar instead made a choice based on comfort level that the Yankees could never overcome without severely overpaying for him.

ryanthe13th
12-18-05, 06:23 AM
This offseason hasn't been a letdown for me because I think I know what the Yankees are trying to do and in the long run the Yankees might be better off. As far as Nomar, don't assume the Yankees were outbid, but Nomar instead made a choice based on comfort level that the Yankees could never overcome without severely overpaying for him.

They're obviously trying to etheir sign Johnny Damon, or have Bubba and Andy out there on opening day. This is getting ridiculous. Nomar would've allowed multiple people on this team to rest/DH a few games. The decision of him being a "West Coast Guy" might've had something to do with it, but in the end I think it could've been solved with a few extra dollars in his pocket.

How is this good in the long run for the Yankees, by the way? So far the only long run signing they have made is Farnsworth. Villone, Stinett, and Myers are all temporary and old. The Yankee farm system is highly overrated by this board IMO, so there is no way I'm going to have Melky Cabrera or Cox as reliable back up plans. Matt Smith was rocked in Winter Ball, so I think it is safe to say that he needs a bit more work. I guess it is time to wait for the non-tenders to see who the Yankees miss out on next.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-18-05, 06:27 AM
He signed for 1 year/$6 Million? what were we offering him? Nomar not wearing a Yankee uniform right now is pathetic.

ehh...willing to bet we offered him more money and he turned it down - remember he wants that big pay day next year....

Yankees13
12-18-05, 06:41 AM

How much did you want to pay for someone who can't stay on the field? It was a worthy gamble, but to give him 8 million as would have been neccesary would be dumb.

Yankees1962
12-18-05, 06:46 AM
They're obviously trying to etheir sign Johnny Damon, or have Bubba and Andy out there on opening day. This is getting ridiculous. Nomar would've allowed multiple people on this team to rest/DH a few games. The decision of him being a "West Coast Guy" might've had something to do with it, but in the end I think it could've been solved with a few extra dollars in his pocket.

How is this good in the long run for the Yankees, by the way? So far the only long run signing they have made is Farnsworth. Villone, Stinett, and Myers are all temporary and old. The Yankee farm system is highly overrated by this board IMO, so there is no way I'm going to have Melky Cabrera or Cox as reliable back up plans. Matt Smith was rocked in Winter Ball, so I think it is safe to say that he needs a bit more work. I guess it is time to wait for the non-tenders to see who the Yankees miss out on next.
Yeah, let's give him 8-10M so we can rest/DH multiple people.

ring403
12-18-05, 07:02 AM

Because he preferred to stay near his home?
The 4 teams on his list were all willing to give him the money he wanted. To assume that the Yankees somehow dropped the ball because he chose to play in his home town is just not accurate.

jnewmark
12-18-05, 07:19 AM
Get used to seeing Bubba and Andy,at least until the trade deadline.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 07:48 AM

How much should we have overpaid for someone who struggles to play more than 60 games a year? His wife is from the LA area, the manager is his ex-manager, should we have paid him a $10 million (superstar level contract) to be our super-sub?

JDPNYY
12-18-05, 08:17 AM
Nomar signs 1-year deal with Dodgers.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=117601

Sadly I grossly underestimated the fact that Nomar can not think for himself.

Mia calls the shots in Nomar's life.

I was wrong in my statement that Nomar would sign with the Yankees. I felt he would want to jump start his career in the greatest city on earth for the greatest team in the history of sports. I felt he would be attracted by the sense of wonderment of playing besides the other two SSs. I felt he could make a ton of money in the NYC marketing area.

Congrats Mia.

I'm sorry to those who had faith in me. I truly believed Nomar would make the right decision.

I was 100% wrong.

yankeebot
12-18-05, 08:19 AM
Because he preferred to stay near his home?
The 4 teams on his list were all willing to give him the money he wanted. To assume that the Yankees somehow dropped the ball because he chose to play in his home town is just not accurate.Thank you. The concept that every player is only about the money is ridiculous. Yes, some will go to the highest bidder but many (especially as they get a little older and wiser) realize that quality of life and family concerns should be considered. And the idea that the Yankees should be able to buy whomever they want is equally absurd.

longtimeyankeefan
12-18-05, 08:24 AM

Last season, Garciaparra was paid $8.25M for playing in 62 games.

The season before, he was paid $11.5M for playing in 81 games.

If, in fact, he has signed a contract for $6M that can go to $8M with incentives, he has essentially signed for last year's salary - and that is a bad move economically.

If he produces, fine.

If, as he is recent history has demonstrated, he spends 1/2 the season on the DL, this deal is totally ridiculous.

He should have been signed for a $3-$4M base, IMO - no more. Give him incentives to get to the $8M, fine. But the base is way too high, IMO.

AJW
12-18-05, 08:34 AM
I am so glad Nosemar is not a Yankee. Have fun in LA LA land Garciaparra. :D

BJG
12-18-05, 08:34 AM
How much should we have overpaid for someone who struggles to play more than 60 games a year? His wife is from the LA area, the manager is his ex-manager, should we have paid him a $10 million (superstar level contract) to be our super-sub?

Mia is an Air Force brat who grew up primarily in Wichita Falls, TX. It's Nomar himself who is from the LA area.

Anyway, this decision was made last week. He visited with the Dodgers to work out the kinks. Heck, when Nomar was still Nomar, folks in Boston assumed he would bolt back to the West Coast as soon as he got a chance, so this is likely a decision made long before that.

SoCal Pinstriper
12-18-05, 08:35 AM
I guess it is natural on a Yankees board (because it is difficult for alot of us to imagine anything that we would rather do than play or work for the Yankees) for people to assume that, all things being equal, every player would want the honor and glory of wearing pinstripes. Time and time again this has proven not to be the case, and many are surprised and angry when it happens.

Frankly, I think that trying to make the kind of comeback that lies in front of Nomar would be very difficult in New York. I don't blame him or the Yankees FO for the fact that he went elsewhere.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-18-05, 08:49 AM
To tell you the truth (and to answer the initial question)... no there isn't a role for Nomar on the team...

How many times did you actually sit and watch a game last year and think... "Damn it, our bullpen sucks" or "Damn it, we need good defense in center"...

The underlying fact still remains... We need a righty or two in the BP... and a good defensive CF'er...

Both will make up for the woes that we had last year...

We already have the hitting talent on this team to win a championship...
Hopefully our additions will help our (BETTER!!) starting rotation hold more leads this year...

As long as we get a few more key pieces, we are going to take first place in our division... and then, HOPEFULLY, do what we can in the playoffs...

AJW
12-18-05, 08:49 AM
I don't blame him or the Yankees FO for the fact that he went elsewhere.

I'm actually elated that he is not coming here. He is another injury waiting to happen and he is not worth the money that he was asking.

AJW
12-18-05, 08:53 AM
To tell you the truth (and to answer the initial question)... no there isn't a role for Nomar on the team...

How many times did you actually sit and watch a game last year and think... "Damn it, our bullpen sucks" or "Damn it, we need good defense in center"...

The underlying fact still remains... We need a righty or two in the BP... and a good defensive CF'er...

Hopefully our additions will help our (BETTER!!) starting rotation hold more leads this year...

As long as we get a few more key pieces, we are going to take first place in our division... and then, HOPEFULLY, do what we can in the playoffs...

Your post is right on. A lot of people were getting caught up in the drama of having Nosemar here. It really made no sense to me. I'm sorry if some people will disagree with me but what you said is 100 % true. We need a CF (but I can deal with Bubba for now if we don't get one right away) and we need at least 1 more RH reliever if not two. I have no faith in Sturtze. The problem is Joe does. :barf:

goin for 27
12-18-05, 09:13 AM

OF COURSE THERE WAS A ROLE FOR NOMAR.

Please, certainly the bullpen is of more importance, but for a reasonable dollar one year deal, you take ANY upper echelon player. Right off, Nomar can play 1B for Giambi. Could have played 70-80 games there. Further, he could spell Cano, Jeter, and ARod with almost no step down in performance to the positions defensively. Nomar also indicated that he would play anywhere, so in a pinch, any OF position could be covered for a spot start. He is capable of an .850OPS with very high OBP. CLEARLY, Jeter/Nomar/Sheff/ARod would have been the best 1-4 punch in the Majors.

One can absolutely make the case that other teams had a better situation than Nomar, but to say that there was no role in NY is simply not true. If healthy and effective, the Yanks would have easily have gotten Nomar 500AB's.

I chalk this one up to the same thing that caused us to lose Tom Gordon. Gordon wanted to close, you can't compete with that. I am assuming (and could be wrong) that LA committed a regular every day position to Nomar, and unless we offered an OF position, the Yanks could not meet that.

Don Mack
12-18-05, 09:15 AM
Jon Heyman of Newsday writes:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spflash184557019dec18,0,5791407.column?coll=ny-sports-print

Most folks believe Garciaparra will go to the Dodgers. Which, if fears come true, means the Yankees could lose two marquee players to the two most turmoil-ridden front offices.

Garciaparra, an L.A. product and Manhattan Beach, Calif., resident, probably knows he's a bad fit for New York, perhaps even worse than Randy Johnson and Kevin Brown.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I guess it is natural on a Yankees board (because it is difficult for alot of us to imagine anything that we would rather do than play or work for the Yankees) for people to assume that, all things being equal, every player would want the honor and glory of wearing pinstripes. Time and time again this has proven not to be the case, and many are surprised and angry when it happens.

Frankly, I think that trying to make the kind of comeback that lies in front of Nomar would be very difficult in New York. I don't blame him or the Yankees FO for the fact that he went elsewhere.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps you answered the question I have for Jon Heyman of Newsday who wrote that Nomar would be a bad fit in New York. Why? And you wrote that trying to make the kind of comeback that lies in front of Nomar would be very difficult in New York. I suppose it would be with all the media and fan pressure on him, especially if he got off to a bad start or got injured.

Hats off to JDPNYY for admitting his mistake. I wish you had turned out to be right.

AJW
12-18-05, 09:29 AM
If healthy and effective, the Yanks would have easily have gotten Nomar 500AB's.

That's the key right their. If healthy and that is a BIG IF.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 09:36 AM
Last season, Garciaparra was paid $8.25M for playing in 62 games.

The season before, he was paid $11.5M for playing in 81 games.

If, in fact, he has signed a contract for $6M that can go to $8M with incentives, he has essentially signed for last year's salary - and that is a bad move economically.

If he produces, fine.

If, as he is recent history has demonstrated, he spends 1/2 the season on the DL, this deal is totally ridiculous.

He should have been signed for a $3-$4M base, IMO - no more. Give him incentives to get to the $8M, fine. But the base is way too high, IMO.

And don't forget 2001 either.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 09:37 AM

Bingo. Which is why I have to laugh when people say all Brian should do is point out we're the Yankees. If I grew up a fan of another team, that would not mean a thing to me.

Yanks Lifer
12-18-05, 09:44 AM
He obviously didn't want to come to NY so no sense crying over spilt milk. Time to move on ... NEXT!!!

mycroft
12-18-05, 09:49 AM
He obviously didn't want to come to NY so no sense crying over spilt milk. Time to move on ... NEXT!!!

NEXT :D

23and2
12-18-05, 10:30 AM
Not really a big surprise here... All signs pointed to Nomar signing with LA where he could assume a similar role to what we were offering, at probably comparable money, but being closer to home... on the west coast... more convenient for his wife... with a chance to play for a former manager who respects him... and with players he's played with before (Lowe, Mueller, possibly Damon). Good luck out there!

yanksphan
12-18-05, 11:10 AM
How is this good in the long run for the Yankees, by the way? So far the only long run signing they have made is Farnsworth.

Lets not forget that dude in left field.

JeffWeaverFan
12-18-05, 11:31 AM
Oh well. I'd like to see Phillips in the LF/RF/1B role now that Nomar is not an option.

Bernie Inferno
12-18-05, 11:36 AM
I was wrong in my statement that Nomar would sign with the Yankees. I felt he would want to jump start his career in the greatest city on earth for the greatest team in the history of sports. I felt he would be attracted by the sense of wonderment of playing besides the other two SSs. I felt he could make a ton of money in the NYC marketing area.

After reading this quote and remembering the July 1, 2004 game I was at, we do not need this testicular fortitude challenged liability. Besides the fact, is a 6-foot zero first baseman coming off of a groin injury and achilles injury tall enough to handle errant throws?

However, Garciaparra had concerns about the New York media after an up-and-down relationship with the Boston media.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59800.htm

CptCrunch
12-18-05, 11:38 AM

Congrats Mia.

I'm sorry to those who had faith in me. I truly believed Nomar would make the right decision.

I was 100% wrong.

JDP, you've led me astray for the second time this year. I don't know if I can recover :(.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 12:35 PM
Bob Klapisch was just on XM's Home Plate and said the Yanks guaranteed money was 1/$6.5 million. So the Yanks offer was for more guaranteed money than LA.

Evil Empire
12-18-05, 12:37 PM
Oh well. I'd like to see Phillips in the LF/RF/1B role now that Nomar is not an option.

Agreed. Between him and Cairo, the utility roles should be fine.

yankeebot
12-18-05, 12:43 PM

Mia calls the shots in Nomar's life. Uh-huh. Blame the wife.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
12-18-05, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPNYY

Congrats Mia.

I was 100% wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------

JDP, you've led me astray for the second time this year. I don't know if I can recover :(.
---------------------------------------------------------
I know you're only kidding him but he did say early on in this "manuscript" that he was happy to hear that the Yankees were pursuing Nomar but sad to hear it was reported by George King. George King has lost all credibility with me, not that he ever had much, but he just seems to manufacture stories. I doubt very seriously whether Cashman ever even met with Nomar. Kudos to JDP for admitting the error of his ways .... LOL .... but I will never again take anything George "The Lyin' King" has to say seriously.

Tifoso
12-18-05, 12:46 PM
Do you guys think he would have made more than the $6 million in NY? Just curious. :)

yankeebot
12-18-05, 12:49 PM
Do you guys think he would have made more than the $6 million in NY? Just curious. :)Someone posted in the "other Nomar thread" that the Yankees offered 1 yr /6.5 mil I believe.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 12:51 PM
Do you guys think he would have made more than the $6 million in NY? Just curious. :)

Look up at my previous post. Bob Klapisch said the Yanks offered 1/$6.5

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
12-18-05, 12:58 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------
We have a good defensive center fielder in Bubba Crosby and Cashman has been working diligently on signing better pitchers for our bullpen in Farnsworth, Myers and Villone. I was hoping we'd get at least one of them but we got all three and Cashman is still looking for one more righty.

So what it comes down to now is the back end of the order. I don't want to see the #7, 8 and 9 spots filled with Bernie, Posada and Bubba because that's a fairly easy inning for a pitcher. If you concede the fact that Bubba won't hit for average but can field his position well enough, then all you really need is what a healthy Nomar could have provided. Part time DH, fill in for Giambi and Sheffield on days they DH. You'd have 7 strong hitters in the lineup and decent defense. I think the Yankees wanted Nomar; I don't think Nomar wanted to face all that pressure in New York in a year he's trying to make a comeback.

ShaneTravis
12-18-05, 01:02 PM
Uh-huh. Blame the wife.

Yoko Hamm

Munson's 'Stash
12-18-05, 01:07 PM
Other than living on the west coast, and the attraction of old friends/ teamates on the Dodgers, NY would've been a bad career move for Nomar. He is looking for his next (and maybe last?) big contract and needs garaunteed playing time and ABs for it to happen. We all saw how Torre jumped around his bench last year, shuffling players around to try to find a fit; if that happens again this year Nomar is right back where he started from. All the vaunted "NY media exposure" won't help revive his career if the cameras show him on the bench.

How much of Klapsich's offer is concrete? If the Yankees offer $6.5M, but without any incentives, that's not going to appeal to Nomar; he certainly thinks he's going to meet the incentives with the Dodgers and make $8M+. Cashman made a smart offer, it was just trumped by factors he had no control over.

goin for 27
12-18-05, 01:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------
We have a good defensive center fielder in Bubba Crosby

Bubba is an average CF'er.

longtimeyankeefan
12-18-05, 01:24 PM
Bubba is an average CF'er.

Although it is admittedly a small sample size, his RF/9 would suggest that he can cover some ground.

Bubba's career RF/9 is 3.40 vs a league average of 2.67 - that's a 27% difference. The man can go get the ball.

yanksphan
12-18-05, 01:33 PM
Yoko Hamm

:lol:

JeffWeaverFan
12-18-05, 01:39 PM
Although it is admittedly a small sample size, his RF/9 would suggest that he can cover some ground.

Bubba's career RF/9 is 3.40 vs a league average of 2.67 - that's a 27% difference. The man can go get the ball.
Given the sample size, I can't take anything from his RF/9.

wileedog
12-18-05, 01:47 PM
Given the sample size, I can't take anything from his RF/9.

But even with the small sample size it suggests, when corraborated with visual evidence, that Bubba is at the very least an above average defender. I think some have let their opinions of his offensive abilities (or lack thereof) cloud their judgement some (not necessarily aimed at you)

I have seen some claim that he has "average" speed, which is ridiculous if you have seen him get down the first base line, and downplay his glove, which IMO is pretty good, but no wheres near good enough to justify his O liabilties.

And no, he shouldn't be the starting CFer on a ML team. BUt there's no reason to downplay the abilities he does have.

JeffWeaverFan
12-18-05, 01:57 PM
But even with the small sample size it suggests, when corraborated with visual evidence, that Bubba is at the very least an above average defender. I think some have let their opinions of his offensive abilities (or lack thereof) cloud their judgement some (not necessarily aimed at you)

I have seen some claim that he has "average" speed, which is ridiculous if you have seen him get down the first base line, and downplay his glove, which IMO is pretty good, but no wheres near good enough to justify his O liabilties.

And no, he shouldn't be the starting CFer on a ML team. BUt there's no reason to downplay the abilities he does have.
From watching him, I think of him as an average defensive CFer. I think that he looks very good to a lot of Yankee fans because we have seen Bernie out there so much. I think of Bubba as a guy that is a bit of a wild defender also.

But yeah, I agree with practically everything you say.

ryanthe13th
12-18-05, 02:12 PM
Yeah, let's give him 8-10M so we can rest/DH multiple people.

Nomar wouldn't be very active, and would play about 20 games at positions other than 1B/DH. Personally, I think you're under estimating the convience of being able to rest Jeter, Cano, and A-Rod. $8 Million wouldnt've been a stretch to sign Nomar, money talks and b.s. walks in baseball. A half a million more won't convince him to not go to LA, but 1 or 2 million more will. I'm also pretty confused as how you think I am for having a payroll of $205-210 Million since I:

- Didn't want to sign Ryan for an crazy amount.
- Don't want to sign Clemens, Damon, or Tavarez for an outrageous salary.
- Don't want Bernie, Mendoza, or Leiter to come back for any amount of money.

I guess me wanting to sign a good utility man automatically translates into me wanting to jack the payroll up even higher? :dunno:

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 02:54 PM
Do guys here remember an injury plagued player by the name of Kevin Brown? Since 2001 Nomar has been pretty much just as injury-prone. We offered him $6.5 million guaranteed (there was no mention of incentives so who knows if there were or were not any offered). Bidding wars are for sure things, not injury plagued players like Kevin Brown or Nomar.

NYYBombshell
12-18-05, 02:55 PM
Well, he's not going to be here, so we can close the thread now methinks.

CaptainThurman
12-18-05, 03:28 PM
When I began this thread, I never imagined there would be over 1700 posts! I agree, time to shut it down.....

:-padlock-

goin for 27
12-18-05, 03:53 PM
Do guys here remember an injury plagued player by the name of Kevin Brown? Since 2001 Nomar has been pretty much just as injury-prone. We offered him $6.5 million guaranteed (there was no mention of incentives so who knows if there were or were not any offered). Bidding wars are for sure things, not injury plagued players like Kevin Brown or Nomar.

Really this is no comparison. Brown was aging turning 40 this year. Nomar is still only 32, and much more likely to recover than if he was 40.

The Yankees tied up $30M, (plus perks) and had to give up Weaver and Brazoban. Here, they would have given up about 20% of that figure, and would have him for one year. This was a no-brainer. I am VERY confident that Cashman and Co. are very disappointed. Again, like Gordon, there was not much that they could do.

Given Nomar's hitting prowess, and the ability to play all infield positions, would have made him perhaps the pickup of 2005. Certainly it will be more disappointing if he mashes next year.

longtimeyankeefan
12-18-05, 04:48 PM
Nomar wouldn't be very active, and would play about 20 games at positions other than 1B/DH. Personally, I think you're under estimating the convience of being able to rest Jeter, Cano, and A-Rod. $8 Million wouldnt've been a stretch to sign Nomar, money talks and b.s. walks in baseball. A half a million more won't convince him to not go to LA, but 1 or 2 million more will. I'm also pretty confused as how you think I am for having a payroll of $205-210 Million since I:

- Didn't want to sign Ryan for an crazy amount.
- Don't want to sign Clemens, Damon, or Tavarez for an outrageous salary.
- Don't want Bernie, Mendoza, or Leiter to come back for any amount of money.

I guess me wanting to sign a good utility man automatically translates into me wanting to jack the payroll up even higher? :dunno:

Utility IFers rarely make $6-$8 million a year.

Zimmers' Helmet
12-18-05, 06:03 PM
While a healthy Nomar Garciaparra would have been a nice luxury to have; I'm not losing any sleep over it. Since he doesn't pitch and since he isn't a proven CF; he's nowhere near a neccesity for this team.

I'd rather see the rumored $6.5 million offered to Nomar be spent on the bullpen.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-18-05, 07:03 PM
While a healthy Nomar Garciaparra would have been a nice luxury to have; I'm not losing any sleep over it. Since he doesn't pitch and since he isn't a proven CF; he's nowhere near a neccesity for this team.

I'd rather see the rumored $6.5 million offered to Nomar be spent on the bullpen.

Ditto. This team needs players who can play the outfield well and can be platooned. I'm liking Jacque Jones more and more...

goin for 27
12-18-05, 07:12 PM
Nomar wouldn't be very active, and would play about 20 games at positions other than 1B/DH. Personally, I think you're under estimating the convience of being able to rest Jeter, Cano, and A-Rod.

I would say Nomar would have played 1B 80 games at the least, with Giambi DH'ing much of the year. Say 35 games at DH, and the other 20 that you mention at other positions, and he has played in 135 games. That definitely does NOT fit the definition of a utility infielder. He would basically have been an every day ballplayer, and was damn cheap for the services. Unfortunately, he wanted left coast, and Yanks are in NY. It happens.

Jglaubman
12-18-05, 08:17 PM
with Nomar on the Dodgers, does that mean we get Cairo?

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 08:18 PM
Really this is no comparison. Brown was aging turning 40 this year. Nomar is still only 32, and much more likely to recover than if he was 40.

The Yankees tied up $30M, (plus perks) and had to give up Weaver and Brazoban. Here, they would have given up about 20% of that figure, and would have him for one year. This was a no-brainer. I am VERY confident that Cashman and Co. are very disappointed. Again, like Gordon, there was not much that they could do.

Given Nomar's hitting prowess, and the ability to play all infield positions, would have made him perhaps the pickup of 2005. Certainly it will be more disappointing if he mashes next year.

But yet the fact still remains Nomar has missed over half the season in 3 of the last 5 years. I have no problem with what we offered, I'm just saying to get into a bidding war and seriously overpay to get an injury-prone player to come to a place he'd rather not come is absurd. If he took the 1/6.5 mil, I'd have been happy.

sprintnet
12-18-05, 08:28 PM
But yet the fact still remains Nomar has missed over half the season in 3 of the last 5 years. I have no problem with what we offered, I'm just saying to get into a bidding war and seriously overpay to get an injury-prone player to come to a place he'd rather not come is absurd. If he took the 1/6.5 mil, I'd have been happy.

Look you can believe me if you want or you can disagree with me if you want but i told you days ago before he even met with the Dodgers he let it out to friends where he was going.

Now i know this is not the tread for it but i do have a friend who talks to many of the stars because of his Position with sprint and the MLB players.

Nomar did not sign with New york for alot of reasons but here is the one main reason he did not and that was because Cashman #1 did not want to bid against LA and Cashman never made a effort to really try and sign him.He can say in the press what he wants its a lie if he says otherwise as this is right from Nomars mouth as to 1 of the reasons he did not sign with New York.

Now as for Johnny D. Cashman is doing the same and look for him to resign with Boston as i was told Cashman will not go more then what he is offering now and Boston has already offered more.

Im not sore over Nomar but if Cashman wanted him enough he could have got him.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 08:32 PM
Look you can believe me if you want or you can disagree with me if you want but i told you days ago before he even met with the Dodgers he let it out to friends where he was going.

Now i know this is not the tread for it but i do have a friend who talks to many of the stars because of his Position with sprint and the MLB players.

Nomar did not sign with New york for alot of reasons but here is the one main reason he did not and that was because Cashman #1 did not want to bid against LA and Cashman never made a effort to really try and sign him.He can say in the press what he wants its a lie if he says otherwise as this is right from Nomars mouth as to 1 of the reasons he did not sign with New York.

Now as for Johnny D. Cashman is doing the same and look for him to resign with Boston as i was told Cashman will not go more then what he is offering now and Boston has already offered more.

Im not sore over Nomar but if Cashman wanted him enough he could have got him.

I for one hope Boston is successful in their efforts to resign Damon.

sprintnet
12-18-05, 08:33 PM
ehh...willing to bet we offered him more money and he turned it down - remember he wants that big pay day next year....

We offered less and if we would have offered the same or just a bit more he would have took it Cashman said that is our offer and Cashman thought Nomar would take it over going to LA.

This is not in the press and there is no Link its right from Nomar and if Cashman says otherwise its a lie.

Zimmers' Helmet
12-18-05, 08:40 PM
Ditto. This team needs players who can play the outfield well and can be platooned. I'm liking Jacque Jones more and more...

Jacque Jones is not a solution to the Yankees' needs.

He's not a CF'er and his offensive production is mediocre at best.
Next...

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-18-05, 08:47 PM
Jacque Jones is not a solution to the Yankees' needs.

He's not a CF'er and his offensive production is mediocre at best.
Next...

No he's not but he can easily make the change. He is extremely athletic and is an amazing fielder year after year. If you read my statement earlier correctly you would have read that I would platoon him. Meaning he would only face righties not lefties.

3 year splits:
vs. Right .333/.474/.807
vs. Left .295/.363/.658

This year (2005):
vs. Right .348/.466/.814
vs. Left .247/.370/.617

goin for 27
12-18-05, 08:50 PM
I for one hope Boston is successful in their efforts to resign Damon.

If it is four years or more, I absolutely agree. But who DO you want in CF, and how do we get him? We can't go with Crosby, and I just don't see a deal for Reed, or the like.

NelsonMuntz
12-18-05, 08:56 PM
Good. I don't want Damon for more than 3 years.

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 08:56 PM
If it is four years or more, I absolutely agree. But who DO you want in CF, and how do we get him? We can't go with Crosby, and I just don't see a deal for Reed, or the like.

I should have prefaced that statement that it is my belief that with a 4/40 year deal on the table from Boston, the Yanks would likely have to offer a 5th year. I would not be opposed to 4 years.

Jace
12-18-05, 09:02 PM

The Phillies are going to end up offering Jason Michaels for less than Wang. I could easily see us getting him for Sturtze and Henn/Proctor (hopefully Proctor).

RhodeyYankee2638
12-18-05, 09:24 PM
Good. I don't want Damon for more than 3 years.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind him for 2 or 3 at most

mycroft
12-19-05, 07:46 AM
Nomar to La is a real good thing. Now maybe we can get on with things.

flymick24
12-19-05, 08:07 AM
to answer the title of this thread:

NO

Yankees1962
12-19-05, 03:46 PM
For those that wonder why the Yankees didn't sign Nomar and want to blame Cashman for it.

Dodgers agreed to terms with infielder Nomar Garciaparra on a one-year, $6 million contract.
He can earn an additional $4 million if he stays healthy. His deal calls for a $500,000 bonus if he has 400 plate appearances and $500,000 for each additional 25 plate appearances through 575. It's too much money for someone who just doesn't figure to be a very good hitter for a first baseman, even if he does stay off the disabled list. Dec. 19 - 4:16 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

38Special
12-19-05, 03:47 PM
10 million for playing a full season? hahaha

NYYBombshell
12-19-05, 04:02 PM
This thread is still open?

flymick24
12-19-05, 04:08 PM
For those that wonder why the Yankees didn't sign Nomar and want to blame Cashman for it.

"it doesn't matter. cashman shold have offered 15... he dropped the ball on this one and should be fired."

^ is this making any sense yet?

YankeePride1967
12-19-05, 04:19 PM

THere's no way to blame Cashman, not in the least here. Cashman did offer more guaranteed money so to say he didn't do as much as he SHOULD is unfair.

BeantownYankee
12-19-05, 05:03 PM

10 Million for a guy who's been injured the past couple of years, doesn't have fire burning inside and learning to play new positions? I'm glad Cash didn't push harder.