PDA

View Full Version : Is there a role for Garciaparra on the Yankees?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:26 AM
Dear Dodgers,

Please sign Bill Mueller
Dear StatenIsland Yankee,

Sure we'll sign him, just like NewEra predicted.

Sincerely,
The L.A. Dodgers.

Tifoso
12-14-05, 10:30 AM
Man, if we get Nomar, a ticket to a Yankee game will be one of the greatest gifts come Christmas. Imagine witnessing this lineup.

1.Jeter ss
2.ARod 3b
3.Giambi 1b
4.Sheffield rf
5.Matsui lf
6.Nomar dh
7.Cano 2b
8.Posada c
9.Reed cf ???

Cairo if/of ???
Crosby of
Stinnett c
of ???
1b ???

or, if reports are true:
1.Damon-cf
2.Jeter ss
3.ARod 3b
4.Giambi 1b
5.Sheffield rf
6.Matsui lf
7.Nomar dh
8.Cano 2b
9.Posada c

although, they probably flip Cano and Po

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 10:32 AM

Sure we'll sign him, just like NewEra predicted.

Sincerely,
The L.A. Dodgers.
Actually, it should be:

The L.A. Dodgers didn't exactly have the best offer on the table, but yes I will decide to sign with them, just as nyctalopia predicted.

Sincerely,
Bill Mueller

ReggieBar
12-14-05, 10:33 AM
or, if reports are true:
1.Damon-cf
2.Jeter ss
3.ARod 3b
4.Giambi 1b
5.Sheffield rf
6.Matsui lf
7.Nomar dh
8.Cano 2b
9.Posada c

I would think, and I could be wrong, that if we sign Nomar we go with Crosby in CF. No need for anymore O.

And the lineup would go:

1. Jeter
2. Nomar
3. Arod
...etc

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:34 AM
Actually, it should be:

The L.A. Dodgers didn't exactly have the best offer on the table, but yes I will decide to sign with them, just as nyctalopia predicted.

Sincerely,
Bill Mueller
Hey now I had predicted it too ;)

stephsamps
12-14-05, 10:37 AM
I would think, and I could be wrong, that if we sign Nomar we go with Crosby in CF. No need for anymore O.

And the lineup would go:

1. Jeter
2. Nomar
3. Arod
...etc

A little righty heavy on top, so I would probably bat G in front of AROD. I do like the holy trinity 1-2-3 though :)

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 10:37 AM
or, if reports are true:
1.Damon-cf
2.Jeter ss
3.ARod 3b
4.Giambi 1b
5.Sheffield rf
6.Matsui lf
7.Nomar dh
8.Cano 2b
9.Posada c

that, my friend, is a disgusting lineup, in the BEST kind of way!!! :D

Damon singles up the middle
Steals second
Jeter hits a line drive double to right-center, Damon scores
Rodriguez hit in the elbow, takes 1st base
Giambi hits a home-run over 314, Jeter, Rodriguez score
Sheffield hits a line drive double to left-center
Matsui walks
Garciaparra hits a line drive single to left field corner, Sheffield scores, Matsui on second
Cano bloops a single into left field, Matsui scores, Garciaparra on third
Posada walks, bases loaded ...

6-0 Yankees, bases loaded, no outs, Damon at the plate .... Schilling crying on the mound ... :D

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:38 AM

Steals second
Matsui walks
Garciaparra hits a line drive single to left field corner, Sheffield scores, Matsui on second

6-0 Yankees, bases loaded, no outs, Damon at the plate ....
Well while that's something straight out of a video game isn't it ;)

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 10:40 AM
Well while that's something straight out of a video game isn't it ;)
A video game called "2006 World Champion New York Yankees"

ReggieBar
12-14-05, 10:40 AM
A little righty heavy on top, so I would probably bat G in front of AROD. I do like the holy trinity 1-2-3 though :)

Haha, thats what I was going for. I just think Jeter and Nomar at the top would be so much fun to watch.

Espinosa's Glasses
12-14-05, 10:41 AM

lol...

The Dynasty
12-14-05, 10:41 AM
If we get Nomar, we don't need any more offense...so no Damon. I'd rather trade for Reed/bullpen arm and kill two birds with one stone or trade for Payton. The lineup will be just as potent.

JeffWeaverFan
12-14-05, 10:50 AM
BUT have we considered having Nomar play 3rd and AROD playing CF? I gotta think AROD is enough of an athlete to play CF, with good speed, good defensive instincts.

What say you all?
Nope, I have not considered that. The worst part of A-Rod's defensive game is cathcing fly balls. He is admittedly horrible at that. He is also not a speedster like Jeter is. Furthermore, he was on Mike and the Mad Dog after the season ended and they asked him about that and he said he would be horrible in the outfield.

Yankee Bulldawg
12-14-05, 10:52 AM
that would be wierd about having Jeter, A Rod and Nomar on the same team. if you're honest though you would say that Nomar is better defensively than Giambi is.

IronCaballo4
12-14-05, 10:53 AM

Steals second
Matsui walks

6-0 Yankees, bases loaded, no outs, Damon at the plate .... Schilling crying on the mound ... :D

Looks good, but you left out "Posada GIDP"

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 11:12 AM
http://www.nomaas.org/images/nomaryankee.jpg

While other GMs sign 110 ERA+ pitchers to $55 million deals and give two-year contracts to 47-year olds, Brian Cashman is perhaps lining up the biggest bargain of the offseason. If the Yankees GM pulls this one off and the terms of the deal reflect his injury history, this would be an absolute steal.

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 11:15 AM
A video game called "2006 World Champion New York Yankees" I like that idea for a game.

ojo
12-14-05, 11:27 AM

While other GMs sign 110 ERA+ pitchers to $55 million deals and give two-year contracts to 47-year olds, Brian Cashman is perhaps lining up the biggest bargain of the offseason. If the Yankees GM pulls this one off and the terms of the deal reflect his injury history, this would be an absolute steal.

considering he helped let andy pettitte get away, i'd say we're on the road to normalcy again.

i still can't believe he's gone. he's the one player that in 15 years we may just be watching walk to the podium on a late july/early august saturday afternoon in cooperstown. 33 years old and a great ERA+. still, he has a lot of work to do. it'd have been nice to see him try in pinstripes.

woah. sorry about that. :o

ReggieBar
12-14-05, 11:30 AM
considering he helped let andy pettitte get away, i'd say we're on the road to normalcy again.

i still can't believe he's gone. he's the one player that in 15 years we may just be watching walk to the podium on a late july/early august saturday afternoon in cooperstown. 33 years old and a great ERA+. still, he has a lot of work to do. it'd have been nice to see him try in pinstripes.

I am trying to figure out how this relates to the 2 quotes you used.

But, I hear ya!

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 11:33 AM

woah. sorry about that. :o Ummm how does that relate to A-Rod in the outfield catching fly balls?

ojo
I am trying to figure out how this relates to the 2 quotes you used.

But, I hear ya!

the lower quote wasn't meant to be 'quoted'. i think i checked that one off earlier and forgot to reply. :o

i hope nomar comes. he'd be a fantastic addition. a great low risk/high reward position NY would be setting themselves up for.

MisterNovember

Are you talking about Andy Pettitte? He will NEVER make it into the HOF.

ojo
12-14-05, 11:34 AM
Ummm how does that relate to A-Rod in the outfield catching fly balls?

ummm, see post above.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 11:34 AM

A few years back, he was the only young pitcher who had a reasonable shot at 300 wins, with the Yanks offense behind him of course. Those thoughts are long gone

ojo
12-14-05, 11:35 AM

it's another thread, and he still has a lot of work to do, but it's not out of the question.

StatenIslandYankee
Bill signs w/ LA. Welcome aboard Nomar :D

NewEraYanks2527
ummm, see post above. Thanks for clearing that up.

BillBuckner
12-14-05, 11:41 AM

Steals second
Matsui walks

I sure do like your foresight! :gulp:

BillBuckner
12-14-05, 11:44 AM
Confirmed by who? :link:

JDPNYY
12-14-05, 11:45 AM

What an obnoxious smilie.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 11:45 AM

It was confirmed by the thread in Around the Majors 20 minutes ago

goin for 27
12-14-05, 11:48 AM

Well there's a strong source! :lol:

I just saw in on ESPNews ticker. Spurning a 3 year deal in Pittsburgh to take the LA 2 year offer. "Expected to sign today".

BillBuckner
12-14-05, 11:49 AM
Ehh I guess I just want to use that link smiley for once.

MisterNovember
12-14-05, 11:56 AM

Awesome! I'm guessing that now our only competition is Cleveland and Houston. I don't really see where Nomar would fit in Cleveland (they have Boone and Perhalta at SS/3B). I guess I could picture Houston, but I would think Nomar would prefer to come showcase himself in NY. As someone else pointed out, this is the SECOND consecutive year that Nomar has approached the Yanks...he clearly wants to come here.

Cash, Get this done ASAP!

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:02 PM
Ok, nickname time? hahaha.

MisterNovember
12-14-05, 12:05 PM

Nomar Mister Nice Guy.

YankeeStripes
12-14-05, 12:05 PM

a few I have constructed...

The Nomar-boro man

and when he hits a bomb?
"A Homar for Nomar!"

since he is no longer "nomahh"...he can be Nomaw

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:08 PM
How about:
Nomar Gap-hitting-power!

NDBoston
12-14-05, 12:12 PM
Awesome! I'm guessing that now our only competition is Cleveland and Houston. I don't really see where Nomar would fit in Cleveland (they have Boone and Perhalta at SS/3B). I guess I could picture Houston, but I would think Nomar would prefer to come showcase himself in NY. As someone else pointed out, this is the SECOND consecutive year that Nomar has approached the Yanks...he clearly wants to come here.

Nomar's wife is from Austin, TX. That might play a role in the decision making process.

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 12:13 PM
Nomar's wife is from Austin, TX. That might play a role in the decision making process.

Is his home still in Boston, btw? Because maybe he'd rather be close to there.

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:14 PM
Nomar's wife if Mia Hamm who will be traveling just as much, if not more, than Nomar throughout the year, even though she is now retired.

YankeeStripes
12-14-05, 12:15 PM
I think he still lives in Boston. Didnt he save a little kid up there a few months ago?

ojo

right. in-laws.

new york's got this one in the bag. :o

nyctalopia
I think he still lives in Boston. Didnt he save a little kid up there a few months ago?
It was a woman, and he was visiting his uncle.

NDBoston
12-14-05, 12:16 PM
Is his home still in Boston, btw? Because maybe he'd rather be close to there.

I believe Victor lives in the home he had in the South End. I know his primary residence is in Arizona now.

apolansk
12-14-05, 12:17 PM
Nomar Redsox

23and2
12-14-05, 12:21 PM

Why does the Mueller signing eliminate LA from contention for Nomar? If Nomar is willing to play 1B for us, he could just as easily be their 1B.... right?

YankeeStripes
12-14-05, 12:23 PM
^they have hee sop choi? (sp)

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:24 PM
Why does the Mueller signing eliminate LA from contention for Nomar? If Nomar is willing to play 1B for us, he could just as easily be their 1B.... right?
Because the Dodgers were only interested in Nomar as a fallback if Mueller decided to sign with Pittsburgh. That's no longer a problem, and Colletti is looking towards Lofton and Sanders to fill his other needs. They will be sticking with Hee Sop Choi at first base.

Jasbro
12-14-05, 12:25 PM

I don't think it completely eliminates LA from contention, but it surely eliminates the perceived advantage LA had in recruiting Nomar to play what is presumably a more natural position for him.

nojoke
12-14-05, 12:26 PM
and when he hits a bomb?
"A Homar for Nomar!"

Instant classic

YankeeStripes
If it comes down to LA or NY to play first base, I think he would choose NY:

He would get a chance to burn the Red Sox

He would be closer to his home and most of his family

He would get paid more, probably.

He would have a better shot at the playoffs.

RobRiv
New York nicknames for Nomar?

No-Gar
The Snooter
Nomar-a-lago
Nomar-a-licious
Ramon (Nomar backwards)
Tony Toe Taps (Nomar is his middle name, Anthony is his first name, and the toe tapping thing is based on his crazy ritual in the batter's box)
The Bronx Bandito (in honor of his Mexican roots)

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 12:27 PM
I think its down to the Yanks and Red Sox, who could both use another infielder. Arn Tellem is a smart man, and knows that if Nomar was to sign in Houston to play the outfield, it would increase his chances of getting injured 10 fold, and decrease his future contracts

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:28 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05348/622193.stm

Pittsburgh paper confirms Mueller is signing with the Dodgers.

RhodeyYankee2638

No-Gar
The Snooter
Nomar-a-lago
Nomar-a-licious
Ramon (Nomar backwards)
Tony Toe Taps (Nomar is his middle name, Anthony is his first name, and the toe tapping thing is based on his crazy ritual in the batter's box)

His real name is Anthony. So maybe Tony the Waffle Iron

shotgun_sam

Jeff Kent is expected to move to 1st this year.

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:31 PM
Jeff Kent is expected to move to 1st this year.
where are you getting this from? what would they do with Choi?

shotgun_sam
12-14-05, 12:34 PM
where are you getting this from? what would they do with Choi?

Yeah i know, no link..

But when they signed Furcal, they mentioned that when Izturis came back mid-season, he would play 2nd and Kent would slide to 1st.

So until then i guess they will use Choi there. Or trade Izturis. And when i mention "they", i mean the LA papers, the Dodgers, and all those talking heads on tv.

23and2
12-14-05, 12:39 PM
They might want Nomar at 2nd... and for utility.

Soriambi
12-14-05, 12:40 PM
I think that Nomar could definately be a positive for this team, and I'd be in favor of signing him to an incentive based deal based on both health and performance.

IronCaballo4
12-14-05, 12:40 PM

No-Gar
The Snooter
Nomar-a-lago
Nomar-a-licious
Ramon (Nomar backwards)

"This Tony is Better Than Womack" Garciaparra

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:41 PM
I don't think so based on what I've heard on XM Radio's Home Plate.

YankeeFan1
12-14-05, 12:43 PM
So is Nomar now a realistic possibility for the Yankees?

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:44 PM
Nomar wouldn't surplant Kent unless absolutely necessary (which becomes a reality when Itzturis returns). So, he still wouldn't be guaranteed a single position everyday. That's the same deal the Yankees will be offering, most likely with more money. There is no way Nomar would choose LA over New York.

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:45 PM
So is Nomar now a realistic possibility for the Yankees?
Abso-freakin-lutely.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:49 PM
Baseball experts, Mike and the Mad Dog are saying the Yankees are making a major mistake signing Nomar. Maybe, we should have a poll to see if many of us agree with them?

BeantownYankee
12-14-05, 12:50 PM
Baseball experts, Mike and the Mad Dog are saying the Yankees are making a major mistake signing Nomar. Maybe, we should have a poll to see if many of us agree with them?
Maybe because Nomar would take Bernies AB's away

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:50 PM
are you saying that Mike and the Mad Dog are baseball experts or that OTHER baseball experts are agreeing with M&MD in their assertion that Nomar would be a mistake? Either way, I think they're wrong.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:51 PM
are you saying that Mike and the Mad Dog are baseball experts or that OTHER baseball experts are agreeing with M&MD in their assertion that Nomar would be a mistake? Either way, I think they're wrong.
You didn't know they were baseball experts?

yanksphan
12-14-05, 12:53 PM
You didn't know they were baseball experts?

Just ask them.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 12:54 PM
This is so confusing, some posts act like we signed him, some like we are about to, whats going on?

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:54 PM
This is so confusing, some posts act like we signed him, some like we are about to, whats going on?
Who the hell knows except the Yankees appear to have made an offer to him.

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 12:56 PM
The Yankees are making a concerted effort to sign him, Torre made a call and the mutual interest is well documented. Now that the Dodgers have signed Mueller for 3rd base and are technically out of the race, Nomar's choices are down to the Yankees and the Astros. Yes, this is still speculation, but it seems more and more likely that Nomar will be in pinstripes next year.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:57 PM
Just ask them.
You don't have to ask them because they'll volunteer their expertise to their listening audience.

Anyhow, both of them have the inability to think outside the box while I question whether one of them has any thinking ability to begin with.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 12:58 PM
Yeah I saw Torre called him, I also heard the Stros want him to play the outfield and I heard he doesn't want that.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 12:59 PM
Yankee fans are calling the two clowns now to argue with them about Nomar, but of course, their condescending act is again in play with those that disagree with them.

goin for 27
12-14-05, 01:03 PM

What was their reasoning? I think that he will be the steal of the offseason. He could legitimately put up .875 OPS.

mycroft
12-14-05, 01:03 PM
OK, I saw on Sport Center last night an interview with Joe. Mr Torre said that the he has spoken to Nomar and he conveyed the Yankee interest in pursuing him. They have told Nomar they want him to play first. Joe did not elaborate any further as to what Nomar said. I DO NOT HAVE A LINK nor a transcript so you will have to take my word, or not.

I am not sure if Nomar will want to pursue a part time job with the Yankees when he could get a full time deal with any number of other teams but it is curious as to why we would be interested. I think this is more a case of fishing than anything else and I would be very very surprised to see it go any further

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 01:05 PM
OK, I saw on Sport Center last night an interview with Joe. Mr Torre said that the he has spoken to Nomar and he conveyed the Yankee interest in pursuing him. They have told Nomar they want him to play first. Joe did not elaborate any further as to what Nomar said. I DO NOT HAVE A LINK nor a transcript so you will have to take my word, or not.

I am not sure if Nomar will want to pursue a part time job with the Yankees when he could get a full time deal with any number of other teams but it is curious as to why we would be interested. I think this is more a case of fishing than anything else and I wouldbe very very surprised to see it go any further

Dont worry bout the link, its been posted 80-90 times in the thread already

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 01:06 PM

I am not sure if Nomar will want to pursue a part time job with the Yankees when he could get a full time deal with any number of other teams but it is curious as to why we would be interested. I think this is more a case of fishing than anything else and I wouldbe very very surprised to see it go any further
AGAIN, READ the thread before you post! It's not that hard! Everything you just said has already been covered with links and transcripts posted. Stop being lazy.

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 01:07 PM
Yeah because we don't want his .367 OBP

mycroft
12-14-05, 01:07 PM
AGAIN, READ the thread before you post! It's not that hard! Everything you just said has already been covered with links and transcripts posted. Stop being lazy.

uh guess what I am thinking

nyctalopia
12-14-05, 01:10 PM
uh guess what I am thinking
that posting "new" information for the sake of posting while not catering to ANY need of this community is extraneous and undermines the work other posters have already done? actually, you're probably not thinking that, but you should be.

Wade_Taylor
12-14-05, 01:11 PM
Yankee fans are calling the two clowns now to argue with them about Nomar, but of course, their condescending act is again in play with those that disagree with them.

Has anyone explained to them that he would be moved around in a kind of super-utility role and that the contract would probably be for 1 year so there is little risk?

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 01:13 PM
that posting "new" information for the sake of posting while not catering to ANY need of this community is extraneous and undermines the work other posters have already done? actually, you're probably not thinking that, but you should be.

Calm down, it's not a huuuuge deal.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 01:15 PM

Dude, chill out, I hadn't heard some of that stuff he posted, and I'm sure not everyone else had. I, like everyone else, don't have the time to sort through every page and every post.

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 01:22 PM
It's not that big of a deal, chill out.

Jasbro
12-14-05, 01:25 PM
I touched on this in an earlier post, but do you guys agree that Nomar brings added value by basically taking the responsibilities of TWO bench players?

If he plays 1B/DH/IF-backup on a rotating basis, he potentially negates the need for BOTH Phillips and Cairo...while extending and deepening the Yankees' lineup to epic proportions.

Does not address the BP or CF, but also does not interfere with doing so. Give him $4mm guaranteed, with playing time and performance incentives that can get him to $8mm.

Thoughts?

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 01:27 PM
I touched on this in an earlier post, but do you guys agree that Nomar brings added value by basically taking the responsibilities of TWO bench players?

If he plays 1B/DH/IF-backup on a rotating basis, he potentially negates the need for BOTH Phillips and Cairo...while extending and deepening the Yankees' lineup to epic proportions.

Does not address the BP or CF, but also does not interfere with doing so. Give him $4mm guaranteed, with playing time and performance incentives that can get him to $8mm.

Thoughts?
Unlike others, if the Yankees sign Nomar I still think they will carry another infielder who can play all of the positions.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 01:28 PM

Thoughts?

Agreed. I see no reason why he couldn't be an everyday DH.

You know, when this thread was first started, I thought it was a terrible idea, but I have to admitt, i was wrong, it's a real good one

Jasbro
12-14-05, 01:28 PM
Unlike others, if the Yankees sign Nomar I still think they will carry another infielder who can play all of the positions.

Is 2B what concerns you?

23and2
12-14-05, 01:29 PM
The potential is there, but I feel shaky imagining how he handles LF/RF.. then the next day possibly at 3rd base, then at 1B... In a perfect world, it's an awesome solution. But I just don't know how comfortable he's gonna look out there trying to be that kind of player. And when the unimaginable happens, when Nomar is in the center of a critical defensive miscue, how will the fans and media react to continued use of Nomar in such a role?

mjdlight
12-14-05, 01:30 PM
Jasbro

Agree 100%. If Nomar gets hurt again, it will be relatively painless to swallow the $4m. We ate 15 million last year to carry the lower back-less corpse of Kevin Brown.

Two year deal, first year 4 million plus another 4 in incentives. second year club option for 6 million guarenteed with identical incentives for another 6 million and a buyout for 2 million. Get it done Cash.

shotgun_sam
12-14-05, 01:31 PM
He made over $8 mil last year. It's hard to believe that he would accept a significant cut in pay.

As a result, no.

Since he was hurt so much last year, and he understands that he either takes a pay cut or not play at all, IMO i think he would take less money.

bostonyankeefan
12-14-05, 01:44 PM
The potential is there, but I feel shaky imagining how he handles LF/RF.. then the next day possibly at 3rd base, then at 1B... In a perfect world, it's an awesome solution. But I just don't know how comfortable he's gonna look out there trying to be that kind of player. And when the unimaginable happens, when Nomar is in the center of a critical defensive miscue, how will the fans and media react to continued use of Nomar in such a role?

While I favor signing Nomar, one thing about him did just occur to me. He is very much a creature of habit (e.g. the batting glove routine), perhaps even more than other MLB players who are pretty locked into their routines. This does not mean that he can't play 1B one day and LF the next day, but it may mean that there is an adjustment period involved. Personally, I like the idea of trying him out in CF during spring training. He has good speed and a strong arm (not always the most accurate though). He is more likely to get hurt out there, but if it turns out that he is a good CF and can stay healthy (I know that is asking a lot), the deal to sign him becomes a steal.

MisterNovember
12-14-05, 02:10 PM

:lol:

Oh wait....you were serious with this post??? :eek:

ReggieBar
12-14-05, 02:12 PM
While I favor signing Nomar, one thing about him did just occur to me. He is very much a creature of habit (e.g. the batting glove routine), perhaps even more than other MLB players who are pretty locked into their routines. This does not mean that he can't play 1B one day and LF the next day, but it may mean that there is an adjustment period involved. Personally, I like the idea of trying him out in CF during spring training. He has good speed and a strong arm (not always the most accurate though). He is more likely to get hurt out there, but if it turns out that he is a good CF and can stay healthy (I know that is asking a lot), the deal to sign him becomes a steal.

All that has been reported has Nomar playing 1b for the Yanks. I do not think he is going to be put here and there on a daily basis.

I believe he would assume the role of Phillips and take ab's away from Bernie when he is the DH.

PerfectCone
12-14-05, 02:52 PM
Anything Mike and the Angry Puppy disagree with, I am all for! I would bet the farm that signing Nomar will work out better than some of the other recent signings like Womack and O'Henry and Lofton and on and on. Does anyone know their reasoning for this being a major mistake?

Stone Cold
12-14-05, 02:53 PM

Wow, chill out. There's much more important things to get upset about.

Some people actually have jobs and busy schedules that don't allow them the time necessary to page throught 1000 or more posts just to make sure their idea already hasn't been mentioned.

Just be happy he was trying to add to the discussion and wasn't trolling the board.

PerfectCone
12-14-05, 02:58 PM
Stone Cold, are you the Stone Cold from the Bleachers?

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 02:59 PM
I have a picture of that guy on my pc

Stone Cold
12-14-05, 03:05 PM

No, I just happen to be a wrestling fan also and was having a hard time coming up with a screenname. :D

It'd be cool to be able to go to all those wrestling shows though.

MassNYYfan
12-14-05, 03:06 PM
Full time DH and superutility fill-in guy for a day off or injury here and there. That sounds good to me. Now if they can get him for the $4m for 1 year. Have to love reading 3 different sources and getting $4m, $6m and $8m price tags. :looking:

PerfectCone
12-14-05, 03:06 PM
The Real Stone Cold was the best! Once he and the Rock were done, I was done with wrestling.

WHAT!? WHAT!?

Mark19
12-14-05, 03:07 PM
so if the rumor are correct, the Yankees are now competing with the Indians (1st base/OF) Astros (OF) and possibly Blue Jays (UTIL) for Nomar's skills.

Jeff Van Gully
12-14-05, 03:09 PM
Inside sources of mine at ESPN say that the probability of Nomar signing with the Yanks increased greatly after the Dodgers signed Mueller (Dodgers were looking at him exclusively at 3rd)...

Every other team that is looking at Nomar wants him to play the OF except for the Yankees...

Look for him to be signed before by January 1st.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 03:09 PM
so if the rumor are correct, the Yankees are now competing with the Indians (1st base/OF) Astros (OF) and possibly Blue Jays (UTIL) for Nomar's skills.

I read JP said he was out of the running, but I can't find a link

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 03:10 PM
Inside sources of mine at ESPN say that the probability of Nomar signing with the Yanks increased greatly after the Dodgers signed Mueller (Dodgers were looking at him exclusively at 3rd)...

Every other team that is looking at Nomar wants him to play the OF except for the Yankees...

His agent said by the weekend, if i recall.

BeantownYankee
12-14-05, 03:11 PM

I think the Pirates wanted him for 3rd, Although I'm not sure he'd want to play there.

Jeff Van Gully
12-14-05, 03:11 PM
Thus the prior to Jan. 1st.

Edit: This is all I am getting from my source... You can either take it as Pirates are not even in the running with Nomar or that they actaully want him in the OF...

Regardless most people @ ESPN expect him to sign with yanks

flymick24
12-14-05, 03:12 PM
His agent said by the weekend, if i recall.

doubtful

Allan
It was in the Toronto papers earlier this week. Apparantly JP said that Nomar had more $$ on the table from another team (unidentified) and that the Jays were out of the running.

BeantownYankee
I read that this morning also. He said "we're done with him" , something about he has a better offer on the table elsewhere

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 03:13 PM
Jays are out of it

Tifoso
12-14-05, 03:13 PM

Steals second
Matsui walks

:roflmao:

Brilliant

Tifoso
12-14-05, 03:15 PM
doubtful

no, he really said that ;)

hellonewman
12-14-05, 03:19 PM
Anything Mike and the Angry Puppy disagree with, I am all for! (snip) Does anyone know their reasoning for this being a major mistake?As best I could tell before switching the station in disgust, they're leaning on the old "The Yankees already have all the offense they need and then some!" cliché, which anyone who's paying attention realizes isn't true — right now we've got Bubba in center, a choice between organizational player Andy Phillips and washed-up Bernie Williams at DH, and decline-phase Jorge Posada at catcher.

With all the DH types who've clogged the roster the last few years, it sounds counterintuitive to think the Yankees need a DH, but they actually do. Any help Nomar can give filling in at some defensive positions would be gravy. Of course, M&MD are too busy thinking about how they're going to break down the Bears-Falcons game to notice all this. Luckily, it doesn't look like Cashman shares their dangerous complacency about the state of the Yankees' offense.

Baseball experts, Mike and the Mad Dog are saying the Yankees are making a major mistake signing Nomar. Maybe, we should have a poll to see if many of us agree with them?The last time those 2 mooks said anything about baseball worth agreeing with, I think Stump Merrill was managing.

Sign Nomar!

hellonewman
12-14-05, 03:22 PM
It was in the Toronto papers earlier this week. Apparantly JP said that Nomar had more $$ on the table from another team (unidentified) and that the Jays were out of the running.He said the same thing over the weekend on WFAN.

parkerstrong
12-14-05, 03:28 PM
Nomar would be a big help. I am worried he will get hurt but he can lengthen our lineup. U can never have enough offense.

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 03:33 PM

Thoughts?

I completely agree. Could he also alleviate the the CF situation, by moving Matsui to CF when he plays left? I'm not sure that Matsui is the answer in CF, but he does have plenty of experience at the position. This could be a good stop-gap until a viable CF candidate becomes available.

I love the idea of aquiring Nomar, considering the potential he brings the team offensively.

Mark19
12-14-05, 03:37 PM
I completely agree. Could he also alleviate the the CF situation, by moving Matsui to CF when he plays left? I'm not sure that Matsui is the answer in CF, but he does have plenty of experience at the position. This could be a good stop-gap until a viable CF candidate becomes available.

I love the idea of aquiring Nomar, considering the potential he brings the team offensively.

I'm afraid of the potentially putrid defense if we stick to a Cano-Giambi infield and a Nomar-Matsui-Sheff outfield. I would basically wait until spring training is over to determine whether Nomar should be a DH, 1B or OF.

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 03:44 PM
I'm afraid of the potentially putrid defense if we stick to a Cano-Giambi infield and a Nomar-Matsui-Sheff outfield. I would basically wait until spring training is over to determine whether Nomar should be a DH, 1B or OF.

Personally, I think he should DH full-time. So should Giambi and Sheffield, IMO.

Perhaps Nomar may be able to make the transition to the outfield, like Chipper Jones, Robin Yount and others, to become a very good defensively. That is, if he decides he wants to make the switch.

Stryder2929
12-14-05, 03:50 PM
now that the dodgers signed mueller to play 3b, theyre probably out o fthe nomar sweepstakes as well

Mark19
12-14-05, 03:53 PM
The other problem is what to do with Bernie. I don't know if he would be happy DHing twice a week, starting CF when Wang is on the mound and taking over pinch-hitting duties.

I had hoped that he would retire but if we do intend to bring him back, we'll have an awful lot of DHs on this team.

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 03:54 PM
The other problem is what to do with Bernie. I don't know if he would be happy DHing twice a week, starting CF when Wang is on the mound and taking over pinch-hitting duties.

I had hoped that he would retire but if we do intend to bring him back, we'll have an awful lot of DHs on this team.

I couldn't even see him getting two days a week.

whalers
12-14-05, 03:54 PM

Bernie is washed up and should be happy just to be on the roster.

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 03:56 PM

His role would be reduced to PH duties and the occaisional start in the OF, or at DH. Similar to that of Sierra's for the past few seasons. A switch-hitting pinch hitter is a good thing to have, IMO.

Jasbro
12-14-05, 03:57 PM

I don't think Bernie is being seen as anything close to a full-time DH on this team. I think he will be nothing more than a switch-hitting pinch hitter with clutch power, spot DH, spot 4th/5th OFer. If he gets hot for a stretch you may seem him DH for a few games in a row, but he will be a role playing bench player at most, IMHO.

stephsamps
12-14-05, 04:08 PM
Regardless most people @ ESPN expect him to sign with yanks

Except of course Steve Phillips ;).

hellonewman
12-14-05, 04:08 PM

I had hoped that he would retire but if we do intend to bring him back, we'll have an awful lot of DHs on this team.He shouldn't be brought back, but if he is, the Yankees shouldn't compound the mistake by making him full-time DH. He's not good enough anymore to do the job.

However great his past contributions were, whether Bernie is "happy" with his role means nothing to me at this point. I agree with whalers, he should be happy to have a roster spot.

Dave Visbeck
12-14-05, 04:15 PM
I remember all the commentary of a few years ago, when the debate about the best SS in baseball was between Garciaparra, Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

It would appear his value has dropped a bit, but he still has quite a bit of pop in his bat. And he's the kind of athlete that makes me think he can handle 2B, 1B, or an outfield position as well as the left side of the infield.

Would adding him to the roster poke the Red Sox in the eye? Anybody think this would be a good move?

If the Yankees sign NOMAAAAAAAAH ... I'm never speaking to George again. Accept in sign language. I'd have to change my profile also. http://xs12.xs.to/pics/05035/icon_old.gif

indianyanksfan
12-14-05, 04:17 PM
If the Yankees sign NOMAAAAAAAAH ... I'm never speaking to George again. Accept in sign language. I'd have to change my profile also.

:eek: :jaw-drop: :scared:

BillBuckner
12-14-05, 04:31 PM
Last time Damon was at the plate with the bases loaded, I was crying.

NelsonMuntz
12-14-05, 04:35 PM

What exactly is going on with Bernie? I thought we were on the verge of re-signing him (unfortunately) last week but I haven't heard anything further. I'm really hoping the Yankees came to their senses decided to pass.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 04:36 PM
What exactly is going on with Bernie? I thought we were on the verge of re-signing him (unfortunately) last week but I haven't heard anything further. I'm really hoping the Yankees came to their senses decided to pass.

I thought we signed him already. But apprently thats not true

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 04:37 PM

Really? I was going crazy, cause El Duque struck his beared ass out

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 04:43 PM
:eek: :jaw-drop: :scared:

he's a red sox fan sweety

StatenIslandYankee
12-14-05, 04:43 PM
Yeah :(

NYDCYankee
12-14-05, 05:20 PM

This makes sense.

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:22 PM
Anyone listening to TSN radio or ESPN? Bunch of rumors swirling saying Nomar signed w/Astros...

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 05:23 PM
Anyone listening to TSN radio or ESPN? Bunch of rumors swirling saying Nomar signed w/Astros...

Uh-oh, whos reporting it (like people)

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:24 PM
Uh-oh, whos reporting them (like people)
Just posters on some various other boards. It's looking like BS, however.

Mark19
12-14-05, 05:25 PM
That Astros stuff is all BS.

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 05:25 PM
Just posters on some various other boards. It's looking like BS, however.

oh, ok, i thought they said it on sportscenter or something

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:26 PM
oh, ok, i thought they said it on sportscenter or something
No, just someone trying to start a rumor and see how far/fast it spreads, probably.

Disregard.
:D

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 05:27 PM
No, just someone trying to start a rumor and see how far/fast it spreads, probably.

Disregard.
:D

You know, I've always wanted to do that. and some day, somewhere, I will

gdn
12-14-05, 05:28 PM
Nah - I heard Buster Olney say it on the Dan Patrick show.

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:29 PM
You know, I've always wanted to do that. and some day, somewhere, I will
:lol:

Using the old "I heard it on the radio" line is a sure-fire way to stir the pot...

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:29 PM
Nah - I heard Buster Olney say it on the Dan Patrick show.
Busted Ol'Nay said what on the DP show?
;)

yankeesrule2000
12-14-05, 05:30 PM
i have made a post like that before, quoting someone else telling me they heard it on the radio. A Def mistake lol

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:34 PM
i have made a post like that before, quoting someone else telling me they heard it on the radio. A Def mistake lol
Someone told me that someone else heard on WFAN that Nomar signed with the Devil Rays as a backup catcher's batboy's waterboy. Confirmed.

gdn
12-14-05, 05:35 PM
Busted Ol'Nay said what on the DP show?
;)Olney said that the Astros are trying to lure Nomar with the carrot stick of LF and then have him play 1B.

Darth_Takeo
12-14-05, 05:37 PM
Olney said that the Astros are trying to lure Nomar with the carrot stick of LF and then have him play 1B.
The deal is done! The Devil Rays backed out on the catcher waterboy batboy deal in the 11th hour, with Houston pouncing in immediately with not only one, but an ENTIRE BASKET of carrot sticks! At least that's what the guy told his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate he heard on ESPN Radio.

gdn
12-14-05, 05:44 PM
The deal is done! The Devil Rays backed out on the catcher waterboy batboy deal in the 11th hour, with Houston pouncing in immediately with not only one, but an ENTIRE BASKET of carrot sticks! At least that's what the guy told his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate he heard on ESPN Radio.Whatever dude. That's what I heard. I didn't report it.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 06:03 PM
This afternoon on XM Radio's Home Plate, Richard Justice, the baseball writer for the Houston Chronicle says the Astros have too much money tied up to so few players that they can't make a great offer to Nomar. So even with Clemens out of the picture, they still own 5 players something like 65M and if you increase their contractural obligations to 11 players the figure goes up to 82M. So, there payroll flexibility is limited. It should be interesting to see what Nomar does.

BillBuckner
12-14-05, 06:26 PM
Really? I was going crazy, cause El Duque struck his beared ass out
I meant against the Yankees. :(

TEPLimey
12-14-05, 06:54 PM
Unconfirmed report I heard is that Nomar is looking for 1 year, $6-8M plus incentives.

Its unconfirmed, so take it for what its worth. If true, however, I would like the Yankees to pass on this "steal of the offseason" as some have put it. The only person stealing in this deal will be Nomar stealing an average of $1M per game played from the Yankees before a season ending injury causes an appendage to fall off.

I am still against signing Nomar unless its dirt cheap and entirely as a backup who gets a shot in Spring Training. To count on this guy being healthy is like expecting to be hit by lighting on the E Train.

Yankees1962
12-14-05, 07:02 PM
Nomar might have a decision by the end of the week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2259316

Snatch Catch
12-14-05, 07:05 PM
Nomar might have a decision by the end of the week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2259316

Its looking more and more like he's coming to New York...

Espinosa's Glasses
12-14-05, 07:06 PM
Or as early as tomorrow... ohhh S***

JeffWeaverFan
12-14-05, 07:11 PM
Its looking more and more like he's coming to New York...
I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

ryanthe13th
12-14-05, 07:13 PM
Oh man. I can't wait to see this:

Snatch Catch
12-14-05, 07:15 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Nor am I, but it just appears that way. LA got their 3B, Houston supposedly has money issues, and Cleveland was reported by Steve-O Phillips to be "backing off" on ESPNews about an hour or so ago.

flymick24
12-14-05, 07:18 PM
Nor am I, but it just appears that way. LA got their 3B, Houston supposedly has money issues, and Cleveland was reported by Steve-O Phillips to be "backing off" on ESPNews about an hour or so ago.

that must mean that cleveland has started to pursue nomar aggressively

noneckwilliams
12-14-05, 08:06 PM
Unconfirmed report I heard is that Nomar is looking for 1 year, $6-8M plus incentives.

Its unconfirmed, so take it for what its worth. If true, however, I would like the Yankees to pass on this "steal of the offseason" as some have put it. The only person stealing in this deal will be Nomar stealing an average of $1M per game played from the Yankees before a season ending injury causes an appendage to fall off.

I am still against signing Nomar unless its dirt cheap and entirely as a backup who gets a shot in Spring Training. To count on this guy being healthy is like expecting to be hit by lighting on the E Train.

There's a great chance you may turn out to be right - but I'm still just an irrational fan in many respects and I'd get a real kick out of seeing Nomar wearing a NYY uniform next season. Nomar is one of the few RS players I've ever had any positive feelings about and his potential versatility does make him a good fit.

I hope it happens.

ojo
12-14-05, 08:12 PM
There's a great chance you may turn out to be right - but I'm still just an irrational fan in many respects and I'd get a real kick out of seeing Nomar wearing a NYY uniform next season. Nomar is one of the few RS players I've ever had any positive feelings about and his potential versatility does make him a good fit.

I hope it happens.

and they sign him to a 3 year extension in august as he leads the league in batting. :D ;)

ring403
12-14-05, 08:16 PM
FWIW:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/1205/15bravesreact.html
The Braves have talked to former American League batting champion Nomar Garciaparra about playing left field, but they expect him to sign a richer offer with the New York Yankees. Houston, Cleveland and the Dodgers were also pursuing the injury-plagued former All-Star shortstop.

TEPLimey
12-14-05, 08:17 PM

I hope it happens.

While I'm not necessary referring to the quoted post, I hope no one wants Nomar on the Yankees to "stick it to the Sox" or the like. If so, the Sox will have the last laugh as we "stick" ourselves with a high-priced injury risk.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-14-05, 08:17 PM
How much money are we overpaying for his past production?

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 08:18 PM

A lot of Cash Money thats for sure.

hellonewman
12-14-05, 08:20 PM
I am still against signing Nomar unless its dirt cheap and entirely as a backup who gets a shot in Spring Training. To count on this guy being healthy is like expecting to be hit by lighting on the E Train.Your point is well taken, but right now I'd bank on Nomar's health long before I'd bank on Bernie's youth or Andy Phillips' talent.

Cleveland was reported by Steve-O Phillips to be "backing off" on ESPNews about an hour or so ago.Ruh-roh. If El Wrongo says they're out, chances are they're in.

noneckwilliams
12-14-05, 08:21 PM
While I'm not necessary referring to the quoted post, I hope no one wants Nomar on the Yankees to "stick it to the Sox" or the like. If so, the Sox will have the last laugh as we "stick" ourselves with a high-priced injury risk.

Your concerns are warranted but I genuinely think he will be a productive addition that will give Joe some lineup flexibility and protection if ARod or Jeter goes down for any length of time.

It's not about sticking it to the RS for me. If it were I'd be all for signing Damon but words can't describe how opposed to that I am.

TEPLimey
12-14-05, 08:35 PM
Your point is well taken, but right now I'd bank on Nomar's health long before I'd bank on Bernie's youth or Andy Phillips' talent.

Fair enough. I completely see the upside to Nomar, so I hope I'm wrong about him. However...

Jeter - SS
ARod - 3B
Sheffield - RF
Giambi - 1B
Matsui - LF
Nomar - DH
Cano - 2B
Posada - C
Crosby - CF

Jeter - SS
ARod - 3B
Sheffield - DH
Giambi - 1B
Matsui - LF
J. Jones - RF
Cano - 2B
Posada - C
Crosby - CF

Jeter - SS
ARod - 3B
Sheffield - RF
Giambi - 1B/DH
Matsui - LF
Cano - 2B
Posada - C
J. Jones - CF
Snow/Lee - 1B/DH

Compare the latter two lineups to #1. Ignoring injury risk, for an extra $2-3M, we can choose between option 2 (far and away better defensively) or 3 (slightly better defensively and about equal offensively) on an everyday basis and we give Sheffield/Giambi a ton more rest. If we are going to overpay ($6-8M for Nomar?) then why not overpay in positions we need (OF) rather than for postions that don't need to be filled (DH/1B)?

ryanthe13th
12-14-05, 08:41 PM
J.T. Snow is an old man, Jacque Jones is going to cost us prospects. The only one of those that I'd consider would be Travis Lee, which I haven't heard any rumblings about.

Jace
12-14-05, 08:45 PM
Whatever. Lets do it, this is fun.

The box seats are gonna cost $110 instead of $90 this season regardless. Its not like the Yankees can't eat $7 mil.

Jasbro
12-14-05, 08:46 PM
If we are going to overpay ($6-8M for Nomar?) then why not overpay in positions we need (OF) rather than for postions that don't need to be filled (DH/1B)?

But it is not necessarily an "either/or" type of decision.

We may very well end up overpaying for a CF, too.

Acquiring Nomar should have no bearing whatsover on acquiring another OF. It does make Crosby's anemic offense abit more palatable if we are not able to find one, though.

hellonewman
12-14-05, 08:55 PM
Compare the latter two lineups to #1. Ignoring injury risk, for an extra $2-3M, we can choose between option 2 (far and away better defensively) or 3 (slightly better defensively and about equal offensively) on an everyday basis and we give Sheffield/Giambi a ton more rest. If we are going to overpay ($6-8M for Nomar?) then why not overpay in positions we need (OF) rather than for postions that don't need to be filled (DH/1B)?I could certainly live with either #2 or #3 (what's up with Jones, by the way? He seems to have fallen a little off the Hot Stove radar). I guess part of me is greedy and wants to gamble that with a conversion to mostly DHing, Nomar can put up a big year with relatively decent health (it worked for a couple of injury cases named Edgar Martinez and Paul Molitor). And as I mentioned before, while it seems counterintuitive to think the Yankees need a DH, what with all the DH types they've had recently, they really need one — the in-house options are Bernie and Phillips. :(

Yankeeah
12-14-05, 08:56 PM
J.T. Snow is an old man, Jacque Jones is going to cost us prospects. The only one of those that I'd consider would be Travis Lee, which I haven't heard any rumblings about.

Jones is a FA

ryanthe13th
12-14-05, 08:57 PM
Jones is a FA

My mistake. Isn't Jones a corner outfielder though?

wileedog
12-14-05, 09:01 PM

Yes, but he'd make a nice fit in RF moving Sheff to DH.

I Love Wang
12-14-05, 09:03 PM

Jones played RF because the Twins have had Torii Hunter in CF winning Gold Gloves. Jones was a CFer before that, and could be one again.

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 09:05 PM
Yes, but he'd make a nice fit in RF moving Sheff to DH.

Not a bad idea, but then Nomar is reduced to CF or Bench Roles should he be signed.

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 09:10 PM
http://www.nomaas.org/

"Give Sheffield 20 games at DH and stick Nomar in RF. Give Matsui 15 games at DH and stick him in LF. Give Giambi 50 games at DH and stick Nomar at first. Give Rodriguez 10 games off at DH and stick Nomar at third, Give Jeter 10 games off at SS and stick Nomar at short. Give Cano 10 games off and stick Nomar at second. That's 115 games in the field."

Works for me.

just-blaze
12-14-05, 09:12 PM
Oh man. I can't wait to see this:

Wow, Ive been giggling like a little schoolgirl for the past couple of days thinking about Nomar in pinstripes, but that picture weirded me out a little.

Im with No neck in the irrational fan part, Nomar in pinstripes will be priceless.

If he gets hurt or flops, he is playing a position that is easier to replace.

I hope Nomar realizes the cult following he will have if he comes here. Ive already got a creepy mancrush on him and there is a good possibility he wont sign.

Evil Empire
12-14-05, 09:12 PM
http://www.nomaas.org/

"Give Sheffield 20 games at DH and stick Nomar in RF. Give Matsui 15 games at DH and stick him in LF. Give Giambi 50 games at DH and stick Nomar at first. Give Rodriguez 10 games off at DH and stick Nomar at third, Give Jeter 10 games off at SS and stick Nomar at short. Give Cano 10 games off and stick Nomar at second. That's 115 games in the field."

Works for me.

That's really not bad at all. Not to mention Pinch Hitting, defensive subs/injury duty. He'd be like a slower, more power hitting Chone Figgins who plays first.

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 09:14 PM
That's really not bad at all. Not to mention Pinch Hitting, defensive subs/injury duty. He'd be like a slower, more power hitting Chone Figgins who plays first.

Plus 30-40 games at DH. Provided he remains healthy.

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 09:22 PM
Well we might find out where he is heading as early as tomorrow. The offseason is a little more interesting right now.

ICEBERG18
12-14-05, 09:22 PM
"The Yankees are one of four teams that Nomar is considering," Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, said in an e-mail message. "We are in the process of reviewing the options and we hope to make a decision in the near future."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/sports/baseball/15yanks.html

New Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said he'd made an offer to Garciaparra.

"I'd like to talk to him before I comment on that," Colletti said when asked about the possibility of Garciaparra playing the outfield. "He has been an infielder most of his career. That doesn't mean he couldn't make the switch to left field."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks1215,0,4645309.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

The Dodgers seem like they're still in on him.

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 09:27 PM
The Dodgers seem like they're still in on him.
I wasn't really ever counting them out, with or without Bill Mueller.

just-blaze
12-14-05, 09:28 PM
FWIW:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/1205/15bravesreact.html

Last time the Braves thought a free agent they were after would sign with the Yankees it happened.

23and2
12-14-05, 09:29 PM
If the Yankees do sign Nomar, some of the pressure is off the CF situation. Nomar doesn't make Bubba a better hitter, but you suddenly don't mind being 8 deep instead of 7 deep. I wonder how it would play into the Damon situation. If the Yankees help themselves in other ways, CF can indeed wait until a better situation arises during the season (trade). If Cashman truly fixes the pen, and your 1 through 8 works, then we'll be in a position of strength.

indianyanksfan
12-14-05, 09:30 PM
maybe joe should call him again. ;)

flymick24
12-14-05, 09:34 PM

it won't really matter if it's only a one year contract. there's a 50/50 chance that he'll do well for us, but if he stinks it up, it's not as if we'll have any obligations towards him past 2006 anyhow.

overpaying for past production is a concern when we're talking about long-term, multi-year contracts

AMYanks
12-14-05, 09:51 PM
My gut keeps on telling me that Nomar will be a Yankee.

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 09:56 PM
My gut keeps on telling me that Nomar will be a Yankee.
Well I kinda hope your gut is right. I have a feeling whoever ends up with Nomar will be getting quite the steal and I think this is the year he really puts up some nice numbers and show he has the ability to be a very good hitter. I dont think he will return to batting .372 but I think he will have a really good year no matter where he goes and I would like to see him do it in the pinstripes.

27IsNext
12-14-05, 09:58 PM
I want Nomar, but not for more than $4 million.

Mark19
12-14-05, 10:01 PM
My gut keeps on telling me that Nomar would prefer to play left field for the Dodgers or right for the Indians. He could be pulling a Brian Giles on us, hoping to get that $8 million from Cleveland or LA.

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:04 PM
My gut keeps on telling me that Nomar would prefer to play left field for the Dodgers or right for the Indians. He could be pulling a Brian Giles on us, hoping to get that $8 million from Cleveland or LA.
You might be right but I hope you arn't.

wang+cano=future
12-14-05, 10:04 PM
Why would he prefer to play the outfield compared to in the infield where he has all his experience?

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:05 PM
Why would he prefer to play the outfield compared to in the infield where he has all his experience? Might be location, might be a desire not to play in New York and be on the west coast, might be he just doesn't really want to play first base for the Yankees.

27IsNext
12-14-05, 10:09 PM

There's no way either of those teams are overpaying for Garciaparra.

Mark19
12-14-05, 10:10 PM
It is possible that Nomar may prefer the Yankees because he has a better chance of staying healthy at 1B/DH.

If he can put together 140 starts between 1B/OF/DH with a line of:

.300-20-85 then he should be able to secure a 3 year deal as an infielder in 2007.

27IsNext
12-14-05, 10:14 PM
Put it this way, the only team stupid enough to give the guy more than $4 million to is the Yankees. As you said, I think he takes an IF spot over an OF spot, just to make him more valuable after the 2006 season.

ComeBackShane47
12-14-05, 10:17 PM
It is possible that Nomar may prefer the Yankees because he has a better chance of staying healthy at 1B/DH.

.300-20-85 then he should be able to secure a 3 year deal as an infielder in 2007.

Not to mention if he succeeds he is doing it on the biggest stage possible. If he has a big year, he could be due for a huge raise next off season

wang+cano=future
12-14-05, 10:22 PM
Tell me if this deal seems far fetched:

2 Years for 8.5 Million with a player option for a third year. The contract will have incentives that are easy to reach(games, AB's time on DL) and some that will be harder but more fruitful too him and the team( BA, HR, AVG)

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 10:22 PM
On ESPN insider it says that the Yanks and Dodgers are after Damon as well. We should make a deal, they get Damon, we get Nomar

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 10:23 PM
Might be location, might be a desire not to play in New York and be on the west coast, might be he just doesn't really want to play first base for the Yankees.

Agreed. Nomar may prefer playing closer to home in LA, where it is more laid back than playing in NY.

He's probably just using the Yanks to drive up the price.

YankeeFan1
12-14-05, 10:27 PM
My gut keeps on telling me that Nomar would prefer to play left field for the Dodgers or right for the Indians. He could be pulling a Brian Giles on us, hoping to get that $8 million from Cleveland or LA. Yeah, I leaning that way as well. I really think that Nomar would want a new regular position to increase his options for a long term deal after next season. He is probably just keeping the Yankees in play to increase his 1 year deal. I can't blame him though.

23and2
12-14-05, 10:30 PM
My gut tells me that we're just being used for leverage - as often is the case.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 10:31 PM

I really hope not. LA has become a joke, and i hope Nomar realizes this

NewEraYanks2527
12-14-05, 10:35 PM
I really hope not. LA has become a joke, and i hope Nomar realizes this we can only hope he sees that. As far as the deal I would offer Nomar would be a one year heavily incentive laden contract with a TEAM option for the second year, if he does good exercise the option, if he cant put up decent numbers or continues to get injured, cut him loose.

flymick24
12-14-05, 10:38 PM
Tell me if this deal seems far fetched:

2 Years for 8.5 Million with a player option for a third year. The contract will have incentives that are easy to reach(games, AB's time on DL) and some that will be harder but more fruitful too him and the team( BA, HR, AVG)

2 guaranteed years is a bit much for someone who has played only 140 games in the past 3 years alone

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-14-05, 10:38 PM
On ESPN insider it says that the Yanks and Dodgers are after Damon as well. We should make a deal, they get Damon, we get Nomar

haha, we could only wish...I know Nomar is a so-cal loving guy, but I can't see him going there after they've signed Mueller, even if they do say there's an open spot for him. I just don't see it happening. I really do think he's not gonna pass up the chance to return to the AL East, it's an exciting division that's stayed hot, not just with Yanks-RS, but with Baltimore (sorta ;) ) last year, and Toronto's expectations this year. In a good division, that already gets a lot of press coverage, not to mention on the Yankees - he's gonna have a good opportunity to get in the spotlight for that big deal he's hoping for in 2007

Compare that to the NL west...which only got coverage last year because the winner could have been under .500 - well, you see where I'm going with this...

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 10:42 PM
haha, we could only wish...I know Nomar is a so-cal loving guy, but I can't see him going there after they've signed Mueller, even if they do say there's an open spot for him. I just don't see it happening. I really do think he's not gonna pass up the chance to return to the AL East, it's an exciting division that's stayed hot, not just with Yanks-RS, but with Baltimore (sorta ;) ) last year, and Toronto's expectations this year. In a good division, that already gets a lot of press coverage, not to mention on the Yankees - he's gonna have a good opportunity to get in the spotlight for that big deal he's hoping for in 2007

Compare that to the NL west...which only got coverage last year because the winner could have been under .500 - well, you see where I'm going with this...

LA will probably finish in first next year thoough, in that awful awful divison

WebsterMulligan
12-14-05, 10:45 PM
LA will probably finish in first next year thoough, in that awful awful divison

Plus he does'nt have to deal with all of the media attention playing in NY, something he loathed while playing in Boston.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 10:46 PM
Plus he does'nt have to deal with all of the media attention playing in NY, something he loathed while playing in Boston.

Well the reason is its an awful awful orgazation. Take the good with the bad

ryanthe13th
12-14-05, 11:06 PM

I disagree. The Dodgers may be in disarray right now, but they too are one of the more popular clubs in MLB. They're right up there with the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs. It wouldn't make sense for Nomar to go to LA because he doesn't like the publicity of NY or BOS. LA is in the spotlight now that Grady Little is the skipper there(something that doesn't bode well with Nomar going there) and plus there are now 2 former Sox players on that team in Mueller and Lowe.

NYDCYankee
12-14-05, 11:10 PM
Has this been posted yet?:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks1215,0,4645309.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-14-05, 11:12 PM
I disagree. The Dodgers may be in disarray right now, but they too are one of the more popular clubs in MLB. They're right up there with the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs. It wouldn't make sense for Nomar to go to LA because he doesn't like the publicity of NY or BOS. LA is in the spotlight now that Grady Little is the skipper there(something that doesn't bode well with Nomar going there) and plus there are now 2 former Sox players on that team in Mueller and Lowe.

Huh? Not sure I follow your logic. If the money is close, Nomar lives out in California. The fact that Little, Mueller and Lowe are all there is probably a good thing for his acclimation to a new situation. And no one gives a crap out in LA about anything other than trying to be famous. Their fans show up in the 3rd and leave in the 6th. Dodgers stadium is a pitchers park, so his numbers might suffer hitting there, that is the only concern that I would see from Nomar if his plan is to suck it up for a year and put up big numbers to get himself a big money 3-4 year deal next year.

trapper700
12-14-05, 11:20 PM
Has this been posted yet?:

from that article:
"With the Yankees, he would have to accept not playing everyday for the first time. The Yankees would primarily use him at first base and designated hitter in addition to backing up the rest of the infield."

I don't know if I really believe that. I'm sure that the Yanks will be able to find him playing time everyday, the only issue is what position he'd be playing on a specific day.

Vin
12-14-05, 11:29 PM
We need to sign another shortstop such as Tejada to back-up the other three shortstops in case they get injured or something.

ryanthe13th
12-14-05, 11:42 PM
Huh? Not sure I follow your logic. If the money is close, Nomar lives out in California. The fact that Little, Mueller and Lowe are all there is probably a good thing for his acclimation to a new situation. And no one gives a crap out in LA about anything other than trying to be famous. Their fans show up in the 3rd and leave in the 6th. Dodgers stadium is a pitchers park, so his numbers might suffer hitting there, that is the only concern that I would see from Nomar if his plan is to suck it up for a year and put up big numbers to get himself a big money 3-4 year deal next year.

They're saying that Nomar may not come because he doesn't like the media attention. The Dodgers are a pretty big franchise and have a decent sized fan base.

Also, if he was so miserable in Boston, why would he surround himself with constant reminders of the city (Little, Lowe, Mueller)?

23and2
12-14-05, 11:57 PM
I would think an opportunity in the AL would be appealing if just for the chance to DH some. With the Yankees offer, Nomar would get featured at a few positions and still get steady ABs. With more time at DH, and potentially less risk there of injury, it's a safer bet than assuming a regular fielding position and keeping your fingers crossed.

I think the bottomline for Nomar is to put together one good year and then hope for a Brian Giles like 3-4 year deal.

MisterNovember
12-14-05, 11:58 PM

If there's one thing I've learned in my 25 years, its that my guts have sh*t for brains.

(sorry, couldn't resist) :)

ChrisV82
12-15-05, 12:06 AM
We need to sign another shortstop such as Tejada to back-up the other three shortstops in case they get injured or something.

Maybe we can trade for Eckstein to play center.

Yankees1962
12-15-05, 02:14 AM
Put it this way, the only team stupid enough to give the guy more than $4 million to is the Yankees. As you said, I think he takes an IF spot over an OF spot, just to make him more valuable after the 2006 season.
We don't know that for sure! That figure isn't a lot of money in terms of baseball contracts and I'm willing to bet there are more than one offer that exceeds 4M. Which ever, team that does sign him should not guarantee much over 4M and use incentives to allow Nomar to get closer to that 6-8M he wants.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 02:35 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/59715.htm

As for Garciaparra, he is weighing several options, one of which may be the Dodgers. Cleveland, Houston and the Yankees have shown strong interest in the 32-year-old former Red Sox and Cubs shortstop who has a house not far from L.A. in Manhattan Beach, Calif.

A recent call to Garciaparra from Joe Torre had a positive effect on Garciaparra, whom the Yankees are looking at as a first baseman with some work as the DH.

"Nomar had a good conversation with Joe Torre this week," agent Arn Tellem said in a statement yesterday. "The Yankees are one of four teams that Nomar is considering. We are in the process of reviewing the options and we hope to make a decision in the near future."

People close to Garciaparra said they believe he will decide before the weekend where he will play next year.

"I am not commenting," GM Brian Cashman said last night from Tampa, where he finished two days of meetings with the Yankees' Latin America scouting department.

As always, the question is money. It's believed Garciaparra, who was limited to 62 games for the Cubs this year due to a severe groin injury, is looking for a base salary of $6 million with incentives that could get him close to the $8.25 million he made last season.

Cleveland is eyeing him as a right fielder and possibly as Aaron Boone's replacement at third base. The Astros are looking at Garciaparra as a left fielder; they are moving Lance Berkman to first base because of Jeff Bagwell's shoulder problem.

What happened to Aaron Boone? Is he a free agent? I would love to have him back here in a utility role.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 02:42 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/374984p-318654c.html

Giambi pitches
Yanks to Nomar

The Yankees' latest pitch to Nomar Garciaparra is coming from Jason Giambi.
Joe Torre has already made a phone call to the former Red Sox shortstop, and Giambi was planning to talk with Garciaparra yesterday, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Daily News.

The two stars are very friendly and share an agent, Arn Tellem, who also represents Mike Mussina and Hideki Matsui. Tellem has not returned phone calls in recent days but wrote in an E-mail yesterday that Giambi and Garciaparra are "close friends." He did not offer any other indications about Garciaparra's impending decision on choosing a new team other than to say it could come soon, possibly even before week's end.

The Bombers are said to be one of four finalists to land Garciaparra. They are competing with the Astros, Indians and Dodgers, who have made an offer to Garciaparra, according to GM Ned Colletti. The Dodgers, once believed to be front-runners for Garciaparra, originally wanted him to play third base, but after signing former Red Sox Bill Mueller yesterday, are interested in Garciaparra as an outfielder.

The Yanks have interest but are wary of whether Garciaparra, who was said to be uncomfortable playing in a media cauldron like Boston, would choose to come to the high-pressure Bronx. They would like to sign him to a one-year deal worth between $4 million and $6 million and could be his best option if he doesn't want to play the outfield, which is where the other three teams would probably use him.

NYDCYankee
12-15-05, 03:37 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers15dec15,1,1052325.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

While the 40-man payroll creeps to about $82 million, and with another starting pitcher still to acquire, Garciaparra provides yet another intriguing possibility.

Off two injury-shortened seasons, Garciaparra, a five-time All-Star shortstop, could play first base or left field for the Dodgers.

Already having reportedly turned down a one-year, $6-million offer from the Atlanta Braves, Garciaparra has had offers from the Yankees to play first base, the Houston Astros to play left field and the Cleveland Indians to play right field.

"I'd like to talk to him before I comment on that," Colletti said about Garciaparra's position of choice. "He's been an infielder most of his career. That doesn't mean he couldn't make the switch to left field."

Lots of interesting tidbits in this article.

mbn007
12-15-05, 06:06 AM

That's right.

He will be 33-34, and should be able to get a 3 year deal for around the same money Giles got, or around 30 million.

mbn007
12-15-05, 06:09 AM
Well the reason is its an awful awful orgazation. Take the good with the bad
Ned Colletti is now running the show. He was the asst. GM to Sabean in San Fran. He is a solid baseball man, and will return that franchise to its glory past.

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-15-05, 07:02 AM
Yeah, that's certainly understandable - but he's also somewhat seeking attention, because he wants a long term deal....

PoughVirginiaYankee
12-15-05, 07:05 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/374984p-318654c.html

Giambi pitches
Yanks to Nomar

We'll...that sounds good...never would have guessed Giambi and Nomar were tight - I guess they both do share an agent, and both are SoCal guys - but they're personalities appear to be worlds apart??? Another example of fans thinking we actually know what the players are like :P

YankeeFan1
12-15-05, 07:23 AM
I thought Giambi was supposed to not like playing in NY. Now he is trying to talk Nomar into playing for the Yankees? I hope he is successful though I don't believe that Nomar is coming.

noneckwilliams
12-15-05, 07:25 AM
I thought Giambi was supposed to not like playing in NY. Now he is trying to talk Nomar into playing for the Yankees? I hope he is successful though I don't believe that Nomar is coming.

I think Nomie ends up in Cleveland.

Yanks Lifer
12-15-05, 07:50 AM
I think Nomie ends up in Cleveland.

IMO also I think Nomar will end up with the Indians or Yanks. The wild card is that whacko McCourt in LA who just may throw an insanely big bag of cash at Nomar and/or Damon like he did Furcal. If he does, so be it. I have yet to hear anyone who doesn't think that $13 million per year for 3 years was not a ridiculous offer for Furcal. It does sound like we will find out about Nomar within the next few days though. Once that domino falls, the Yanks have a much better picture of what they want/have to do about CF and how much more cash will be available to complete the bullpen.

Yanks Lifer
12-15-05, 07:52 AM
Ned Colletti is now running the show. He was the asst. GM to Sabean in San Fran. He is a solid baseball man, and will return that franchise to its glory past.

Is this the same Ned Colletti who supposedly didn't know of the Furcal deal until the last minute? He may be a solid baseball man, but McCourt is a nut job.

jeterjuice
12-15-05, 07:58 AM

Is this the same Giambi who made the push for Alan Embree?

Xhibit
12-15-05, 08:05 AM
I thought Giambi was supposed to not like playing in NY. Now he is trying to talk Nomar into playing for the Yankees?

The whole Giambi not feeling comfortable in NY thing has ALWAYS been something solely driven by the NY media. I remember in '02-'03 there would be articles about how he wasn't comfortable in the Yankee clubhouse, how he had no friends...all of that turned out to be complete BS. Giambi loves NY, the guy loves the city and is probably spotted in Manhattan more than any other Yankee.

BeantownYankee
12-15-05, 08:15 AM
IMO also I think Nomar will end up with the Indians or Yanks. The wild card is that whacko McCourt in LA who just may throw an insanely big bag of cash at Nomar and/or Damon like he did Furcal. If he does, so be it. I have yet to hear anyone who doesn't think that $13 million per year for 3 years was not a ridiculous offer for Furcal. It does sound like we will find out about Nomar within the next few days though. Once that domino falls, the Yanks have a much better picture of what they want/have to do about CF and how much more cash will be available to complete the bullpen.
Grady Little is also in LA, and Nomar may feel comfortable playing for a former manager

-tz
12-15-05, 08:24 AM
More on the All Shortstop Team, from Jeter ...

Should Garciaparra sign with the Yankees, he would join Jeter and Rodriguez in the same infield, bringing the three shortstop stars of the mid-1990s and early-2000s together for the first time.

"Maybe we can get [Miguel] Tejada to start and [Omar] Vizquel as middle relief," joked Jeter. http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051214&content_id=1282319&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Yanks Lifer
12-15-05, 08:41 AM
Grady Little is also in LA, and Nomar may feel comfortable playing for a former manager

Good point. So are Derek Lowe and Bill Mueller.

stephsamps
12-15-05, 08:44 AM
Good point. So are Derek Lowe and Bill Mueller.

Was Grady that well liked? I just remember him for the whole Pedro debacle.

hobokenfish
12-15-05, 08:50 AM
Was Grady that well liked? I just remember him for the whole Pedro debacle.

Other than that one game, Grady was a good manager. He had a .580 winning percentage with Boston, and had them 6 outs away from the World Series. He blew it with Pedro, but he took too much heat for that. I'm kind of glad he's getting a second shot.

ReggieBar
12-15-05, 09:09 AM
A big question I have is how important is it for Nomar to be able to have the option of DHing. I would think that the most important aspect of re-establishing himself would be getting 500-550 ab's. Obviously, the position at this point doesn't matter to him.

Dr. Gonzo
12-15-05, 09:14 AM
Other than that one game, Grady was a good manager. He had a .580 winning percentage with Boston, and had them 6 outs away from the World Series. He blew it with Pedro, but he took too much heat for that. I'm kind of glad he's getting a second shot.

I don't get how he blew it,

what do you do in that sitaution. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If he leaves pedro in, and pedro does his job, then he is the greatest manager ever for knowing his players (the boston spin on it),

its a game of what if's, I don't get how people blame him so heavily for that.

jcan411
12-15-05, 09:15 AM
I personnaly want no part of Nomar. All of my Boston friends said he simply was not the same after the wrist injury. Is he still good? Yes. But, lets not forget he was injured running out of the batters box, not playing on the field so I don't really know how DHing will solve his injury woes.

The great thing about Nomar is that he plays all out all the time. He does not know how not to. this is why he gets injured all the time. His body is too old and borken down for his will. You love that in a player, but it is what leads to injury, and nomar certainly is always injured these days. Also, a groin tear, and wrist tear, and an achilles tear are no small injuries. Thoise are all serious and can all be career threatening. Let him go somewhere else to try to fix his career. We need STARTERS...

Yankeeah
12-15-05, 09:16 AM

5 outs actually. But to be fair, it was lose lose. If he took Pedro out and lost, he would've been killed. He had no chance

ReggieBar
12-15-05, 09:18 AM
I personnaly want no part of Nomar. All of my Boston friends said he simply was not the same after the wrist injury. Is he still good? Yes. But, lets not forget he was injured running out of the batters box, not playing on the field so I don't really know how DHing will solve his injury woes.

The great thing about Nomar is that he plays all out all the time. He does not know how not to. this is why he gets injured all the time. His body is too old and borken down for his will. You love that in a player, but it is what leads to injury, and nomar certainly is always injured these days. Also, a groin tear, and wrist tear, and an achilles tear are no small injuries. Thoise are all serious and can all be career threatening. Let him go somewhere else to try to fix his career. We need STARTERS...

I can't disagree with that.