PDA

View Full Version : Billy Joel to tour in 2006

YankeePride1967
11-11-05, 05:08 PM
Billy Joel is going to tour in 2006. So far, he has dates announced in Boston, Philly and Jacksonville. He has a box set coming out this month with previously unreleased material called "My Lives" and I'm assuming that's the purpose of the tour.

MiamiKat
11-11-05, 05:09 PM
Billy Joel is going to tour in 2006. So far, he has dates announced in Boston, Philly and Jacksonville. He has a box set coming out this month with previously unreleased material called "My Lives" and I'm assuming that's the purpose of the tour.
Don't let him drive the tour bus.

/not a Billy Joel fan

RhodeyYankee2638
11-11-05, 05:15 PM
My friend is an intern for the BigEast, and h say Madison Square Garden's schedule for next year, and he said Billy is playing 10 shows at the Garden between January and June

StaceyRosie
11-11-05, 05:48 PM

/not a Billy Joel fan

Damn it! You beat me to the driving joke.

RhodyYanksFan
11-11-05, 05:49 PM
I'd love to see him. I never got the chance. No way I miss this tour.

YankeePride1967
11-11-05, 05:59 PM

I've seen him 14 times, including the Millenium show on 12/31/99 at MSG. Great show.

JDPNYY
11-11-05, 06:18 PM
I HATE Billy Joel.

This is, however, great news for those who are fans of him.

YankeePride1967
11-11-05, 06:19 PM
I HATE Billy Joel.

It's still rock and roll to me

YankeePride1967
11-11-05, 06:25 PM
I once knew a woman by the name of Christie Lee who lived in Allentown. She was married to some big shot named James. James was an angry old man, always going to extremes. He would drink captain jack for the longest time because he could not handle the pressure. James grew suspicious of Christie Lee but stayed realizing that it was a matter of trust. Christie Lee though told him this was her life and to leave her alone and James was always in a New York state of mind anyway. James always prefered honesty and his brother told him he should tell her about it. She is a modern woman he said. You May be Right, James said. It all reminded him of an old scene at an Italian Restaurant with a Stranger. In the end, Christie Lee told James she would love him Just the way you are.

JDPNYY
11-11-05, 06:30 PM
Don't go changing to try and please me,
You never let me down before.
And don't imagine you're too familiar,
And I don't see you anymore.

I would not leave you in times of trouble,
We never could have come this far.
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times,
I take you just the way you are.

Don't go tryin', some new fashion,
Don't change the color of your hair, mmmmm
You always have my unspoken passion,
Although I might not seem to care,

I don't want clever conversation,
Never want to work that hard,
I just want someone that I can talk to,
I want you just the way you are

I need to know that you will always be,
The same old someone that I knew.
Ah, what will it take till you believe in me,
The way that I believe in you?

I said I love you and that's forever,
And this I promise from the heart.
I could not love you any better,
I love you just the way you are.

Billy wrote this to his first wife, right?

He later left her and then later married Christie Brinkley, right?

Maybe she should have ignored his advice and changed.

Tifoso
11-11-05, 06:34 PM
Don't go changing to try and please me,
You never let me down before.
And don't imagine you're too familiar,
And I don't see you anymore.

I would not leave you in times of trouble,
We never could have come this far.
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times,
I take you just the way you are.

Don't go tryin', some new fashion,
Don't change the color of your hair, mmmmm
You always have my unspoken passion,
Although I might not seem to care,

I don't want clever conversation,
Never want to work that hard,
I just want someone that I can talk to,
I want you just the way you are

I need to know that you will always be,
The same old someone that I knew.
Ah, what will it take till you believe in me,
The way that I believe in you?

I said I love you and that's forever,
And this I promise from the heart.
I could not love you any better,

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Evil Empire
11-11-05, 07:25 PM
Ooooh. Maybe I'll go out to Philly for a show.

MiamiKat
11-11-05, 08:17 PM
Damn it! You beat me to the driving joke.
Hey, I had to be the first off the mark at some point. :)

I HATE Billy Joel.

Hot punk, cool funk, even if it's old junk, it's still Billy Joel to me. :barf:

A friend of mine & I have had about a 20-year running argument as to who's the true spawn of Satan. He contends it's Phil Collins. I say it's Billy Joel. No inroads have been made on either side regardless of all the evidence presented.

RhodyYanksFan
11-11-05, 08:24 PM
A friend of mine & I have had about a 20-year running argument as to who's the true spawn of Satan. He contends it's Phil Collins. I say it's Billy Joel. No inroads have been made on either side regardless of all the evidence presented.

You're both wrong...it's Rod Stweart.

JDPNYY
11-11-05, 09:35 PM

Phil is a heckuva drummer and a fine backup singer. Keep him the hell away from writing songs and he'll be fine.

YankeePride1967
11-11-05, 09:45 PM

I used to like him. Please stop with the freaking American songbook crap!

MiamiKat
11-11-05, 10:15 PM
Awwwwwww...I love Rod Stewart.

Well, Rod Stewart pre-1990 (or so), that is

Phil is a heckuva drummer and a fine backup singer. Keep him the hell away from writing songs and he'll be fine.I like his drumming & backup singing just fine too, but I also like Phil's early solo albums. I'll draw the line at about 1990 for him as well.

Before 1990 = often good, 1990 and after = total & utter dreck.

yankeegeek
11-12-05, 06:56 AM
I've seen him 14 times, including the Millenium show on 12/31/99 at MSG. Great show.

Nice, 14 times. That is very impressive. I have seen him 4 or 5 times and loved every performance. If what is being said is true I will have to see a few more shows. My Uncle used to be in a band that was his opening act in the mid to late 60's. This was before he was big. He has some great drinking stories about Billy.

Boogiedown Bomber
11-12-05, 07:36 AM

Can someone explains this to me: how does Rod Stewart a) keep putting out "hit" records, and b) keep nailing younger women??? Why? Why? :mad:

I think it is going to be cool that Billy Joel will be touring next year.

Trish
11-12-05, 07:57 AM

This isn't why I can't stand him. I might not like too many singers if the criteria was remaining faithful to their wives.

What I can't stand about him is his pretentiousness. Plus, he's from the same town I grew up in, yet claims to be from one town over. I guess he doesn't want to say the name of the town he lived in.

Sam2448
11-12-05, 09:11 AM
Never was a Billy Joel fan. Don't hate him, just find him kind of boring.

Rod Stewart was good before he went all disco. His stuff with Jeff Beck like Truth is good and so is the Small Faces. Actually, I've never liked Rod Stewart's voice, but at least he used to have good music because he used to play with great musicians like Jeff Beck.

Trish
11-12-05, 09:14 AM
Never was a Billy Joel fan. Don't hate him, just find him kind of boring.

I was a Billy Joel fan as a teenager. Then I learned of the disdain that he has for his roots. That turned me off.

That, and the music:lol:

mr. baskums
11-12-05, 09:19 AM

I vote Phil Collins :barf:

I used to like Billy Joel until he went Pop. His music from the early '70's, the stuff that isn't overplayed on the radio is great.

JDPNYY
11-12-05, 10:10 AM
...and another thing, how old is he?

Shouldn't he be Bill Joel by now?

Trish
11-12-05, 10:24 AM
...and another thing, how old is he?

Shouldn't he be Bill Joel by now?
Not with his driving record.

JDPNYY
11-12-05, 10:57 AM
Not with his driving record.

A driving joke has already been made in this Thread. Try again.

Trish
11-12-05, 11:02 AM
A driving joke has already been made in this Thread. Try again.
That's the only reason why I can think that he'd still be calling himself Billy. I wasn't necessarily making a joke.:lol:

krystl
11-14-05, 01:44 PM
I like Billy Joel's music. I don't really keep up with his personal life. I didn't know so many people disliked him.

RhodyYanksFan
11-14-05, 02:00 PM
Can someone explains this to me: how does Rod Stewart a) keep putting out "hit" records, and b) keep nailing younger women??? Why? Why? :mad:

I used to work in the music dept. at Barnes & Noble and every, and I mean every, 50 year old woman who came in raved about Rod Stewart and his American Songbooks. :barf:

Yanks4eva1
11-14-05, 03:18 PM
Wow. I had no idea so many people hate Billy Joel. I love his lyrics. To me he is a great songwriter.

I saw him on his River of Dreams Tour at Nassau Coliseum back in the day. I love the CD.

Dee

MiamiKat
11-14-05, 04:33 PM
I like Billy Joel's music. I don't really keep up with his personal life. I didn't know so many people disliked him.

Wow. I had no idea so many people hate Billy Joel. I love his lyrics. To me he is a great songwriter.

I honestly think it's a New York thing. (Or in this case a "not New York" thing.)

When I lived in the Northeast, every single person I knew from New York and ESPECIALLY from Long Island just loved Billy Joel. He was the one thing that linked the punk rockers, metalheads, classic rock lovers, jazz heads, soft rock types...you name it. It didn't matter what other music they liked...to a person, they all had a soft spot for the man. (It's similar to how folks from Jersey just love Springsteen.)

Whereas us non-New Yorkers perhaps looked at B.J. a little more objectively and realized that he hit the wall face first the moment he did "Uptown Girl". Maybe even earlier than that, actually. :D

Anyway, I'm sure there are some exceptions to the Grand Unifying Billy Joel theory, but over the years I've found it to be pretty reliable.

Trish
11-14-05, 04:39 PM
I honestly think it's a New York thing. (Or in this case a "not New York" thing.)

When I lived in the Northeast, every single person I knew from New York and ESPECIALLY from Long Island just loved Billy Joel. He was the one thing that linked the punk rockers, metalheads, classic rock lovers, jazz heads, soft rock types...you name it. It didn't matter what other music they liked...to a person, they all had a soft spot for the man. (It's similar to how folks from Jersey just love Springsteen.)

Whereas us non-New Yorkers perhaps looked at B.J. a little more objectively and realized that he hit the wall face first the moment he did "Uptown Girl". Maybe even earlier than that, actually. :D

Anyway, I'm sure there are some exceptions to the Grand Unifying Billy Joel theory, but over the years I've found it to be pretty reliable.
That's a pretty good theory.

I was a big Billy Joel fan until I heard him claim he's from Levittown. He's not from Levittown, he's from Hicksville. He lived in a Levitt house in Hicksville. What, he's too good to be from Hicksville? Sure, I get sick of listening to people's wisecracks (it's not a hick town, it was just named after a guy named Hicks :lol: ) I've been dealing with that my whole life. My brother knew him in high school, and he said he was a jerk even back then in the 60s.

I don't care about the whole leaving the wife for the beautiful model thing. It's a cliche, but I don't care.

YankeePride1967
11-14-05, 04:59 PM
If a person's personal life or things they said were key in me liking their music or acting, I would not buy a CD or go to a movie. Unless they are criminals, the bottom line is the music or the movie/TV show. And to me, despite his personal faults, his music to me is great and that's the only thing to me that matters.

#1PaFan
11-14-05, 05:02 PM
When BJ played that concert in Central Park with that completely EFFIN' insane Garth Brooks, that was it.

Trish
11-14-05, 05:18 PM
If a person's personal life or things they said were key in me liking their music or acting, I would not buy a CD or go to a movie. Unless they are criminals, the bottom line is the music or the movie/TV show. And to me, despite his personal faults, his music to me is great and that's the only thing to me that matters.
That's true. I guess I don't like his music enough to overlook my feelings.

I still like his older stuff (pre-Glass Houses).

YankeePride1967
11-14-05, 05:28 PM
That's true. I guess I don't like his music enough to overlook my feelings.

I still like his older stuff (pre-Glass Houses).

I do enjoy all of his music, but I do prefer his older stuff. I can understand people in NY area being sick of him, but I just don't really pay attention to that stuff. I like Billy enough to see him in concert 14 times including 5 times in 8 nights.

DanB
11-14-05, 07:44 PM
He put on a really great "a night with Billy Joel" thing at West Point...he let some girl get up on stage and play Heart & Soul with him, he answered pretty much everybody's questions, he really, really knows how to work a crowd. Also saw him on New Year's Eve at the Coliseum during the Stormfront tour, and with Sir Elton John, and I would see him again in a heartbeat...a great performer.

JDPNYY
11-14-05, 09:56 PM

YankeePride1967
11-14-05, 09:58 PM

Thank you.

JDPNYY
11-14-05, 09:59 PM
Thank you.

I was talking to my wife.... and I actually meant it.

Dooley Womack
11-14-05, 10:03 PM
I do enjoy all of his music, but I do prefer his older stuff. I can understand people in NY area being sick of him, but I just don't really pay attention to that stuff. I like Billy enough to see him in concert 14 times including 5 times in 8 nights.

I can listen to "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)" and "Goodnight Saigon" all night and never get tired of them.

NJ Fan
11-14-05, 10:26 PM
I have seen him in concert 14 times as well. I never get tired of seeing him live. He's a mega-talent, although I do skip over a few of his songs when playing his CDs. I believe the man is a genius!

ritaylnil
11-15-05, 05:31 AM

He gives a great concert. I saw him at the Nassau Colisseum in 1993. He has a way of making a huge venue like that feel intimate. He's a great storyteller and he plays plenty of music!

Bub
11-15-05, 06:41 AM
We saw the Billy Joel/Elton John Tour show last year in Albany. It was much better than expected, and Joel still has lots of energy out there and the same voice, although some of the modern amps can fix bad notes. :)

stephsamps
11-15-05, 09:36 AM
Did any of the other Yankees season tickets holders get the presale for Billy? It doesnt give much info (like dates) so I am a little skeptical.

YankeePride1967
11-19-05, 05:46 PM
I got tickets today to the third sold out show at MSG on 2/2/06. I was able to get them riding a train to Grand Central. And coincidentally, sitting two seats over to me was Omarosa from Apprentice/Surreal Life fame.

Jersey Yankee
11-20-05, 02:56 PM

/not a Billy Joel fan
Don't worry, he'll make all the stops, but he won't be able to find his way home!!! :P

RhodyYanksFan
12-05-05, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know if the stage will be in the center of the arena or at one of the ends? The best seats I could find would be behind an end-stage. Either way, is it still worth it to sit with a rear facing view?

Stick Michael
12-05-05, 10:44 AM
Rumor has it that Allstate will be the corporate sponsor for this tour...

RhodyYanksFan
12-05-05, 11:00 AM
Rumor has it that Allstate will be the corporate sponsor for this tour...

:lol:

YankeePride1967
12-05-05, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know if the stage will be in the center of the arena or at one of the ends? The best seats I could find would be behind an end-stage. Either way, is it still worth it to sit with a rear facing view?

Billy is one performer where it is actually better to get seats behind the stage. Most times I've seen him though, if you are looking at the stage from the floor, he would be facing the left, but he hits all parts. He has a piano up back and a keyboard on each side of the stage. Also, the piano rotates so the side really doesn't matter.

RootN4Rocket
12-05-05, 06:24 PM
It's still rock and roll to me
iI saw him with Elton John! Great Show.

Won't see him this time around. All my scratch is tied up in U2. :D

mr. baskums
12-05-05, 07:08 PM
He's playing at the Carrier Dome in March. I've already seen him in concert 5 times so I'll probably pass on this show unless I can score some free tickets.

If you haven't seen him yet it's worth the $$$

RhodyYanksFan
02-04-06, 10:51 AM
T-minus 8 hours until my show! I'm so excited. :)

Bub
02-04-06, 10:57 AM
T-minus 8 hours until my show! I'm so excited. :)You're not going to be disappointed, and I'll bet you get more than you expect....he does a sensational job for his age.

YankeePride1967
02-04-06, 11:33 AM
I was at the show Thursday at MSG. He was absolutely incredible.

MisterNovember
02-04-06, 11:49 AM
I was at the show Thursday at MSG. He was absolutely incredible.

I was at the same show. He sounded great!

YankeePride1967
02-04-06, 02:54 PM
I was at the same show. He sounded great!

It was the 16th time I've seen him and I heard him do 7 songs for the first time. His voice was really at the top of his game.

Yankeees
03-05-06, 06:03 PM
I was at the show last night. The man is unbelievable!

RhodyYanksFan
03-05-06, 06:37 PM
I went last month. It was so much better then I thought it'd be. He put on a great show. They did a cover of "Highway to Hell" which was totally out of left field.

I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Yankeees
03-05-06, 07:28 PM
Yea. His longtime roadie Chainsaw did the vocals, and Billy was on the guitar. It really got the crowd going.

"This next song is a Christian song. Just bare with us."

-Highway To Hell Starts Playing

hahaha!

RhodyYanksFan
03-05-06, 07:36 PM
Yea. His longtime roadie Chainsaw did the vocals, and Billy was on the guitar. It really got the crowd going.

hahaha!

Ahh were you there, or did you get a copy of the audio from the show??

Nice bday gift by Billy, letting him sing.

Yankeees
03-05-06, 10:34 PM
Ahh were you there, or did you get a copy of the audio from the show??

Nice bday gift by Billy, letting him sing.

I was there at the March 4th show. I guess he did the same routine?

Evil Empire
03-05-06, 11:13 PM

hahaha!

:lol: That's great.

I wanna go :(

RhodyYanksFan
03-06-06, 08:56 AM
I was there at the March 4th show. I guess he did the same routine?

I went February 4th in Boston. I thought he said it was that guy's bday and that's why they did it.

I also liked how he sang: Bottle of red/Bottle of white/perhaps a bottle of Ginger Ale tonight

YankeePride1967
03-06-06, 10:03 AM
I'm seeing him again this Friday in Hartford and then again April 22 in Hartford.

YankyDave
03-18-06, 01:37 PM
Saw the show Thursday here in D.C. The man is still amazing.

Question though, what song has he ended for the shows any of you have been to? We left after Scenes but I assume he ended with Piano Man. Am I right?

Yankeees
03-18-06, 10:08 PM
Yea, for my show he ended with Piano Man.

YankeePride1967
03-20-06, 07:54 AM
Other than the first show of this tour, he's ended with Piano Man every show since 1998.