PDA

View Full Version : Would Brad Ausmus be a good backup catcher?

CaptainThurman
11-06-05, 05:11 PM
A lot of discussion on this Board has centered around Jorge Posada, and the amount of salary dollars owed to him over the coming years, the fact that the Yankees are stuck with him because of his contract, and the lack of any prospects that look like everyday major league catchers.

Can Brad Ausmus fill the backup catcher role for the next few years? He's a former Yankee, after all, and the Darmouth grad could become Mussina's designated catcher. He can also help the coaching staff as the Girardi-type unofficial coach. He made about $3 million last year, but in the Yankee universe, that's not a lot of money for a valuable bench player who can spell Posada for maybe 50-60 games.....

Babe Rules
11-06-05, 05:14 PM
I belive Ausmus could get a starting nod in some teams, so I don't see him signing to be a backup.

Rich
11-06-05, 05:16 PM
Letting Ausmus go in the 1992 (or whatever) expansion draft was one of the Yankees dumber moves of the last 15 years.

AMYanks
11-06-05, 05:18 PM
He'd definitely be an upgrade over Flaherty, but some team will likely give him a starting job.

Mark19
11-06-05, 05:19 PM
If he doesn't get a starting job with the loser of the Molina, Hernandez sweepstakes, we should definately pursue him.

Jasbro
11-06-05, 05:43 PM
A lot of discussion on this Board has centered around Jorge Posada, and the amount of salary dollars owed to him over the coming years, the fact that the Yankees are stuck with him because of his contract, and the lack of any prospects that look like everyday major league catchers.

Can Brad Ausmus fill the backup catcher role for the next few years? He's a former Yankee, after all, and the Darmouth grad could become Mussina's designated catcher. He can also help the coaching staff as the Girardi-type unofficial coach. He made about $3 million last year, but in the Yankee universe, that's not a lot of money for a valuable bench player who can spell Posada for maybe 50-60 games.....

Why does Mussina need a designated catcher? Did you mean to say RJ?

AJW
11-06-05, 05:46 PM
Letting Ausmus go in the 1992 (or whatever) expansion draft was one of the Yankees dumber moves of the last 15 years.

Yes I remember that. Carl Everett was the other player as well. I also remember Dave Silvestri was on the board as well but we did not lose him.

Rich
11-06-05, 05:47 PM
Yes I remember that. Carl Everett was the other player as well.

And Charlie Hayes?

AJW
11-06-05, 05:48 PM
And Charlie Hayes?

Yeah you are right.

AJW
11-06-05, 05:51 PM
Here are some links from the 1992 expansion draft if anyone cares.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/COL/1993_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/1993_trans.shtml

Wow, Trevor Hoffman was picked up by Florida. I guess they were not patient enough with him?

Rich
11-06-05, 05:57 PM
Yeah you are right.

They got killed in their misguided attempt to save Maas and Meulens.

AJW
11-06-05, 06:00 PM
They got killed in their misguided attempt to save Maas and Meulens.

Yes you are right. Maas had only a .220 avg in 148 games and K'd 128 times. Meulens I was never a fan of.

puckmaster87
11-06-05, 06:00 PM
No...he is a very capable starting catcher.

surge511
11-06-05, 07:11 PM
I could definitely live with Ausmus as the backup catcher. He knows the game, and seems like a really cool guy.

27IsNext
11-06-05, 07:17 PM
I'd like the Yankees to sign Todd Pratt as backup C.

RhodyYanksFan
11-06-05, 07:32 PM
Brad Ausmus is 36, Jorge Posada is 34. How would signing Ausmus solve the problem of Posada entering the twiglight of his career?

Not to mention Ausmus was the starting catcher for the NL champions this year. Why would he go from playing 130 games to 60?

Rich
11-06-05, 08:17 PM
I'd like the Yankees to sign Todd Pratt as backup C.

2005:

.251 .332 .394

Pratt will be 39 next year. I wanted him over Flaherty a few years ago, but we have to do better.

nyg02005
11-06-05, 08:51 PM
Ausmus will be good. But I would rather have ramon hernandez if they can work his contract as such that he will be earning less this year and more on the ffg years of his contract.

Mystic Merlyn
11-06-05, 08:53 PM
Ausmus is a putrid offensive catcher. He appears to have value defensively, but he is consistently one of the worst starting offensive players in MLB.

Rich
11-06-05, 08:55 PM
Ausmus is a putrid offensive catcher. He appears to have value defensively, but he is consistently one of the worst starting offensive players in MLB.

He's better than Flaherty, and since we're discussing him as a back up, that's all that matters.

Fabien Brandy
11-06-05, 09:07 PM
I'd prefer Mike Piazza as the backup catcher, but to me the perfect backup catcher was Jim Leyritz so Torre and I differ in philosophy there.

Mystic Merlyn
11-06-05, 09:12 PM
He's better than Flaherty, and since we're discussing him as a back up, that's all that matters.

True.

However, this point is moot because he will have a starting job on the table elsewhere.

Dooley Womack
11-06-05, 09:23 PM
I'd prefer Mike Piazza as the backup catcher, but to me the perfect backup catcher was Jim Leyritz so Torre and I differ in philosophy there.

If the Yanks got Piazza to relieve Posada, they'd go down in history as having the worst defensive/game-calling catching tandem in the history of the game.

CptCrunch
11-06-05, 09:25 PM

I think it's more important for a backup catcher to be defensively competent.

Rich
11-06-05, 10:32 PM
True.

However, this point is moot because he will have a starting job on the table elsewhere.

So did Todd Zeile. ;)

Roberto Kelly
11-06-05, 10:47 PM
I'm big into Greg Zaun, but I don't think he's a FA.

27IsNext
11-06-05, 10:47 PM
2005:

.251 .332 .394

Pratt will be 39 next year. I wanted him over Flaherty a few years ago, but we have to do better.

Amazing how I overlooked his age on the ESPN player card.

Anyway, who would you recommend. I originally wanted Todd Greene, but his numbers don't impress me.

27IsNext
11-06-05, 10:50 PM
I'm big into Greg Zaun, but I don't think he's a FA.

He's not, and if he was, he's good enough to get a starting job. I'd love it if we could convince him to platoon with Posada, but I doubt we could.

Kulish29
11-06-05, 11:39 PM
I think the better question would be, would he want to be a back up?

mbn007
11-07-05, 06:55 AM
Amazing how I overlooked his age on the ESPN player card.

Anyway, who would you recommend. I originally wanted Todd Greene, but his numbers don't impress me.
Didn't we have him at one point some 5-6 years ago? No thanks.

Ausmus will get a starters jb somewhere, if not back with the "Stros.

Wade_Taylor
11-07-05, 03:11 PM
I don't think Ausmus wants to be a backup at this point. One name that could be interesting is Chad Moeller. I know his hitting sucked the last 2 years but prior to that his numbers in Arizona were decent, he is still only 30 and maybe he could be RJ's personal catcher. Rotoworld speculated that he could be non-tendered so he could be a decent and cheap option.

Roberto Kelly
11-07-05, 03:53 PM
He's not, and if he was, he's good enough to get a starting job. I'd love it if we could convince him to platoon with Posada, but I doubt we could.

I would envision him catching 60-70% of the games, with Po becoming more of a DH type (he still has decent OBP numbers after all).

yankees76
11-07-05, 07:32 PM
Not clear if Clemens is coming back in 2006, but at the end of the regular season, he made it clear he thought the team should re-sign Ausmus. I can't say how big a factor that would be in Clemens' own decision to return, probably not much, but he did state his opinion.

Here's a link that references Clemens' comment. Looked but didn't find the actual article where I saw it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0510280189oct28,1,157458.story?coll=cs-baseball-print

jpao89
11-08-05, 11:12 AM
If the Yanks got Piazza to relieve Posada, they'd go down in history as having the worst defensive/game-calling catching tandem in the history of the game.

I would rather have a crappy defensive catcher (who will catch what, 1 out of every five days) with some pop, than another offensive black hole on the bench. Not to say the Piazza is that option, but I think the Yankees would be best served in putting together a bench based on contributing to the offense. Think about it, in a tight spot last year when the Yanks needed a pinch hitter, who did they call on? Who was that bat off of the bench that scared the hell out of the other team? There was nobody. In years past (when the Yankees were WS caliber) there was that player/players. Leyritz was not a great defensive catcher, but he could hit a fastball. Strawberry lost all defensive skills in the outfield, but he sure did scare the hell out of the oppostion and sure did get some big hits.

centerfield
11-10-05, 09:31 PM
Leaving him unprotected wasn't a great gamble, but it's not at the top of the list of dumb moves.