PDA

View Full Version : why not Milton Bradley?

Enter_Sandman_42
11-05-05, 12:37 AM
I know many probably dont want bubba in CF, so why not Bradley.

He's a talented player no doubt about that, he's very good defensively and has a very good arm as well (just watching some video on the dodgers site), so he has the talent.

now his make up is another story, he's a headcase and he's done some pretty bad things and said some pretty bad things but how much of that has to do with not being on a team that was a winning team? losing over and over would do that to some people.

now the main reason I would give him a chance is because like I said he's talented, he's also pretty young (younger than hunter), he's cheaper than most of the CF's we get and the Main #1 reason He is a Free Agent next year if he doesnt work out than we simply sit him down this year stick Bubba there or release him and than go hard for Hunter after next year.

Torre's forte is usually these things, reforming people so to speak, theres been a few people he couldnt (brown, mondesi) but theres been people he has been able to do it.

if we could get Bradley cheap, than I wouldnt really be all that against it

AMYanks
11-05-05, 12:50 AM
If Torre can keep him under control, and he can stay healthy, he would make an excellent addition to the team.

I have the feeling the Yankees will make a run for him. It was in one of the papers today, that they had interest. This seems like a low risk, high reward move.

The Dodgers will not ask much for Bradley, so he may be our best option.

yanksphan
11-05-05, 12:54 AM
If the Dodgers can not trade him by Dec 20 - he will most likely be non-tendered and become a FA, costing only money.

Who knows if he'll last that long though...

yankeesAZ
11-05-05, 01:11 AM
No freakin way! No one can control him. He has good talent, but way too much baggage.

Brent
11-05-05, 02:40 AM
No freakin way! No one can control him. He has good talent, but way too much baggage.

Cause he had problems with Jeff Kent? Everyone has problems with Jeff Kent. Sheffield use to be a problem and he has been a model citizen here.

Torre's a good people person, and with players like Jeter, Mo, and Sheff around I doubt he would get out of control.

Vin
11-05-05, 03:08 AM
now the main reason I would give him a chance is because like I said he's talented, he's also pretty young (younger than hunter), he's cheaper than most of the CF's we get and the Main #1 reason He is a Free Agent next year if he doesnt work out than we simply sit him down this year stick Bubba there or release him and than go hard for Hunter after next year.

So we sit him down and if it doesn't work out then play Bubba in CF. Then why sign him to begin with. Just sign the guy, he can play everyday. Torre can cure him.

Enter_Sandman_42
11-05-05, 03:20 AM
there are risks with this move, but they are small risks with potential high rewards, I wouldnt mind taking a risk on this.

Yankees1962
11-05-05, 06:57 AM
there are risks with this move, but they are small risks with potential high rewards, I wouldnt mind taking a risk on this.
I think it's worth taking such a risk.

rightfielder21
11-05-05, 07:31 AM
This is the way they should go...

webassign
11-05-05, 07:56 AM
If he doesn't work out, we'll have an unhappy and belligerent guy in the clubhouse to deal with. It's better if we didn't bother.

Yankees1962
11-05-05, 08:09 AM
If the Yankees obtain Bradley and it doesn' workout then you let him go after next season because he'll be a free agent next November. Anyhow, the new Dodger GM will probably decide his fate with the Dodgers.

Until a GM is hired, Ng and vice president of player development Roy Smith are handling Dodger front-office duties. Bringing back Cruz was a priority because the status of center fielder Milton Bradley is in limbo.

Cruz, 31, will be paid $2.91 million in 2006 and the deal includes a team option for 2007 at $4.5 million and a $300,000 buyout. In 47 games after being acquired from Boston on Aug. 9, he batted .301 with six home runs and 22 runs batted in.

If Bradley does not return, J.D. Drew could move to center field and Cruz could play right. The Dodgers could pursue another power-hitting outfielder through free agency or a trade, although Smith said only that the team is in the market for "a bat."

Bradley, who is rehabilitating from knee surgery, spoke to Smith at Dodger Stadium on Friday. He went on the disabled list Aug. 25, one day after ignoring a gag order from manager Jim Tracy and escalating a simmering dispute with Jeff Kent by accusing his teammate of not communicating well with African Americans.

"Milton has to get healthy, especially physically," Smith said.

The Dodgers haven't decided what to do with Bradley, who made $2.5 million last season. They could decline to offer arbitration (which would make him a free agent), trade him or sign him.

McCourt, who publicly supported Bradley through several problems on and off the field, is not inclined to bring him back, a source said. However, others in the organization want to give him another chance.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-dodgers5nov05,1,612079.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

yankeebot
11-05-05, 08:20 AM
If he doesn't work out, we'll have an unhappy and belligerent guy in the clubhouse to deal with. It's better if we didn't bother.But if we get him through a trade and don't sign him to an extension, we are only committed to 1 year at, I believe, around 2.5 million. If he doesn't work out, we can try to dump him on someone else or even DFA him. At this point, he is still a better option than Bubba. Like most people here have said, low risk/high reward. Unless Cashman can work some magic this could be our best option.

"Milton has to get healthy, especially physically," Smith said. :eek: Not very subtle.

rightfielder21
11-05-05, 08:27 AM
If the Yankees obtain Bradley and it doesn' workout then you let him go after next season because he'll be a free agent next November.

Agreed... It is the best option on the table... He fills a hole they need to fix, at a decent salary, and they don't lose a Cano/Wang type player/prospect in the deal...

Joe Torre's best attribute as a manager is to deal with personalities... I would like him to take advantage of said skill...

YankeePride1967
11-05-05, 08:53 AM
With the available CFers out there, taking a chance on Bradley makes far more sense than trading away Cano and several of our prospects for the overrated Hunter. Signing Bradley (he is very likely to be non-tendered) is a no risk move.

CaptainThurman
11-05-05, 09:50 AM
I think the newly empowered Cashman will solve the CF problem by breaking the pitching logjam. Something like Wright to Texas for Gary Mathews Jr. or maybe Pavano to the White Sox for Aaron Rowand....I don't see the Yankees going into the season with 7 starters, and I really doubt that Wang, Chacon and maybe even Small will be dealt -- Small would be great in the no. 6 role.

SoCal Pinstriper
11-05-05, 10:01 AM
A Bradley update set in the context of the dodgers signing Jose Cruz Jr.

Bringing back Cruz was a priority because the status of center fielder Milton Bradley is in limbo.

Cruz, 31, will be paid $2.91 million in 2006 and the deal includes a team option for 2007 at $4.5 million and a $300,000 buyout. In 47 games after being acquired from Boston on Aug. 9, he batted .301 with six home runs and 22 runs batted in.

If Bradley does not return, J.D. Drew could move to center field and Cruz could play right. The Dodgers could pursue another power-hitting outfielder through free agency or a trade, although Smith said only that the team is in the market for "a bat."

Bradley, who is rehabilitating from knee surgery, spoke to Smith at Dodger Stadium on Friday. He went on the disabled list Aug. 25, one day after ignoring a gag order from manager Jim Tracy and escalating a simmering dispute with Jeff Kent by accusing his teammate of not communicating well with African Americans.

"Milton has to get healthy, especially physically," Smith said.

The Dodgers haven't decided what to do with Bradley, who made $2.5 million last season. They could decline to offer arbitration (which would make him a free agent), trade him or sign him.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers5nov05,1,852340.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

WebsterMulligan
11-05-05, 10:21 AM
With the available CFers out there, taking a chance on Bradley makes far more sense than trading away Cano and several of our prospects for the overrated Hunter. Signing Bradley (he is very likely to be non-tendered) is a no risk move.

I completely agree and it makes perfect sense. He made only $2.5 mil last year and the Yankees could probably aquire him for less. If he does eventually become a problem, then the Yanks can simply dump without taking much of a loss.

It's definitely worth the risk, IMO.

ComeBackShane47
11-05-05, 10:24 AM
You all should read the article about him in an issue of ESPN The Magazine a few months back. He is actually very intelligent and appears to be quite sensitive, making sure his mother has a car take her to every game. He has had problems in the past, but they dont seem like issues that he started, but rather reacted poorly to. Give hime a coaching staff like the one the Yankees have gathered, and I think he could shine. Afterall, just a career average season for him would be lightyears ahead of what the Yanks got from CF last season, plus even if the Yankees had to trade something for him, it wouldn't be too much, meaning Cano and Wang stay.

WebsterMulligan
11-05-05, 10:29 AM
I think the newly empowered Cashman will solve the CF problem by breaking the pitching logjam. Something like Wright to Texas for Gary Mathews Jr. or maybe Pavano to the White Sox for Aaron Rowand....I don't see the Yankees going into the season with 7 starters, and I really doubt that Wang, Chacon and maybe even Small will be dealt -- Small would be great in the no. 6 role.

If I were the GM of those teams, I would not pursue either of those pitchers. Maybe, if the Yanks pay most of their salaries. Pavano and Wright are extremely questionable, grossly overpaid and would be very difficult to trade, IMO.

It's not a bad thing having seven starters, considering the likelihood that one or more of the Yankee starters may end up on the DL.

yanksconstantino24
11-05-05, 10:29 AM
From what I've been hearing in various places, the Dodgers are desperate to give this guy away. I'd go after him. Like everyone else has said, he's talented, young, and the Yankees would be giving up next to nothing. What's to lose? If he doesn't work out, then release him. Joe Torre was once willing to take on Albert Belle, so I don't see Milton Bradley's past as a major issue.

Snap731
11-05-05, 10:30 AM
I see both sides of this.

There's probably a bunch of people I'd rather have than Milton Bradley. That said, if those options don't work out or wind up costing us too much then we SHOULD consider him.

He might be a headache but you never know. And he is a good player.

I'd rather he wasn't our first choice but he shouldn't be ruled out either.

How's that for fence sitting.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
11-05-05, 10:57 AM
"Bradley, who is rehabilitating from knee surgery, spoke to Smith at Dodger Stadium on Friday. He went on the disabled list Aug. 25, one day after ignoring a gag order from manager Jim Tracy and escalating a simmering dispute with Jeff Kent by accusing his teammate of not communicating well with African Americans."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to that: Kent can't communicate well with African Americans because there are none. You're either African or American but not both. Is Pedro Martinez referred to as a Dominican American? No! Are there any Irish Americans? No! But I understand what Bradley is thinking: Jeff Kent doesn't communicate well with blacks.
"McCourt, who publicly supported Bradley through several problems on and off the field, is not inclined to bring him back, a source said. However, others in the organization want to give him another chance."
Reply to that: Well if the owner is not inclined to bring him back, then maybe he'll be non-tendered unless we offer someone like Proctor for him. Anything is better than nothing. I like the way Bradley plays giving it his all, plus he's a switch-hitter. I doubt he'll be with the Yankees more than a few years before he has an eruption, but in the meantime, he's the best option out there.

Dooley Womack
11-05-05, 02:38 PM
He's one of those players that's so disruptive that I'm afraid even Joe Torre won't be able to control him.

Some of his remarks are so off the wall. Sheff is a saint next to this guy. Also, this team doesn't need a player who likes to play the race card every couple of months.

DiMaggio5CF
11-05-05, 02:47 PM
Bradley has only seen 500+ at-bats in one season. And in that season, his numbers were decent -- .267, 19 HR, 67 RBI, .362 OBP, .424 SLG, 123 Ks -- but not great.

His only really great year came in Cleveland when he hit .321 with 10 HR, 56 RBI, a 421 OBP, and a .501 SLG, but that came in just 377 at-bats.

To me, he's average at best, and when you combine that with his emotional issues, it's not worth the risk.

Joe Torre is good at handling volitile situations, but he's not a freaking miracle worker.

longtimeyankeefan
11-05-05, 02:55 PM
Being in Philly, I equate the possible impact of Milton Bradley on the Yankees to the impact that Terrell Owens has had on the Eagles.

In the beginning, all is well and Terrell behaved. Look now - he has been suspended by the Eagles for his stupid comments.

My biggest fear with acquiring Bradley would be how he would react to the NY fans and press the first time he goes 1 for 32 and he hears the boo birds and pundits of the fourth estate. I wonder how long he can keep his yap shut in that situation.

That having been said, I would consider the idea of acquiring him IF the price was not too high. Given his baggage and the Dodger's lack of fervor for him, a low level prospect only - possibly even wait to see if he is tendered on Dec 20th. Nothing more.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 03:03 PM
It's true getting Bradley is not something I'm looking forward to, becaause of the attendion that he needs from the public eye making all the wrong headlines
Being in Philly, I equate the possible impact of Milton Bradley on the Yankees to the impact that Terrell Owens has had on the Eagles.

In the beginning, all is well and Terrell behaved. Look now - he has been suspended by the Eagles for his stupid comments.

My biggest fear with acquiring Bradley would be how he would react to the NY fans and press the first time he goes 1 for 32 and he hears the boo birds and pundits of the fourth estate. I wonder how long he can keep his yap shut in that situation.

That having been said, I would consider the idea of acquiring him IF the price was not too high. Given his baggage and the Dodger's lack of fervor for him, a low level prospect only - possibly even wait to see if he is tendered on Dec 20th. Nothing more.

MisterNovember
11-05-05, 03:16 PM
Milton Bradley is injury prone and psychotic. This would be a horrible move for the yankees.

NewEraYanks2527
11-05-05, 03:25 PM
Please no Bradley, this Bronx Zoo doesnt need a hyena to cause trouble.

rightfielder21
11-05-05, 03:33 PM
http://onfinite.com/libraries/671144/b16.jpg

jbauer2485
11-05-05, 04:02 PM
Proper Name: Milton Obelle Bradley
Bats: B
Throws: Right
Pos: CF
Experience: 5 years
2005 Salary: $2,500,000

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">SPLIT</td><td width="7%">G</td><td width="7%">AB</td><td width="7%">R</td><td width="7%">H</td><td width="7%">2B</td><td width="7%">3B</td><td width="7%">HR</td><td width="7%">RBI</td><td width="7%">SB</td><td width="7%">BA</td><td width="7%">OBP</td><td width="7%">SLG</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">Season</td><td>75</td><td>283</td><td>49</td><td>82</td><td>14</td><td>1</td><td>13</td><td>38</td><td>6</td><td>.290</td><td>.350</td><td>.484</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Career</td><td>534</td><td>1893</td><td>272</td><td>509</td><td>115</td><td>10</td><td>54</td><td>233</td><td>54</td><td>.269</td><td>.350</td><td>.426</td></tr></tbody> </table>
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">SPLIT</td> <td>AB</td> <td>R</td> <td>H</td> <td>2B</td> <td>3B</td> <td>HR</td> <td>RBI</td> <td>BB</td> <td>HBP</td> <td>SO</td> <td>SB</td> <td>CS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>OBP</td> <td>SLG</td> <td>OPS</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">Home </td> <td>121</td><td>22</td><td>32</td><td>7</td><td>0</td><td>6</td><td>20</td><td>10</td><td>2</td><td>22</td><td>2</td><td>0</td><td>.264</td><td>.328</td><td>.471</td><td>.799</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Away </td> <td>162</td><td>27</td><td>50</td><td>7</td><td>1</td><td>7</td><td>18</td><td>15</td><td>0</td><td>25</td><td>4</td><td>1</td><td>.309</td><td>.367</td><td>.494</td><td>.861</td></tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">vs. Left </td> <td>79</td><td>12</td><td>22</td><td>4</td><td>0</td><td>4</td><td>7</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>12</td><td>2</td><td>0</td><td>.278</td><td>.293</td><td>.481</td><td>.774</td></tr> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">vs. Right </td> <td>204</td><td>37</td><td>60</td><td>10</td><td>1</td><td>9</td><td>31</td><td>24</td><td>1</td><td>35</td><td>4</td><td>1</td><td>.294</td><td>.371</td><td>.485</td><td>.856</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Hitting
Since Bradley is not afraid to go deep into the count, he probably is best suited for one of the top two spots in the order. Though he has plenty of pop, he is a line-drive hitter who uses the entire field. He is a fine situational hitter as well, and will give himself up for a productive out. Bradley has a tendency to lose focus and he will give too many at-bats away, however. He is a fine bunter, able to lay down a sacrifice in any direction or drag one for a hit.

Baserunning & Defense
Bradley has above-average speed and gets around the bases very well. He takes the art of basestealing as a personal challenge, and his gritted teeth and extended leads sometimes tip his hand. Bradley can and did play all three outfield spots for the Dodgers last season, and he was more than adequate at each spot. He gets great jumps and moves well in all directions. Combine his center-field range with his right-field arm, and it makes a total defensive package.

Milton Bradley is injury prone and psychotic.

Dooley Womack
11-05-05, 04:25 PM
Has anyone considered Hasbro?

YankeePride1967
11-05-05, 04:26 PM
First off, I'm not thrilled about going after Milton, but so far the main ideas for 2006 are:

1.) Trade Cano/prospects for Hunter (please, God, no!)
2.) Sign Damon (nope)
3.) start Bubba (no thanks)

Milton Bradley will likely be non-tendered and cost only money. Considering the baggage, a one year deal isn't out of the question.

jbauer2485
11-05-05, 04:29 PM
First off, I'm not thrilled about going after Milton, but so far the main ideas for 2006 are:

1.) Trade Cano/prospects for Hunter (please, God, no!)
2.) Sign Damon (nope)
3.) start Bubba (no thanks)

Milton Bradley will likely be non-tendered and cost only money. Considering the baggage, a one year deal isn't out of the question.

Exactly, he's worth trying out in CF. He is young\cheap and one of the best options available. We also have Bubba as a backup if he fails, and I think he proved himself to be, at the very least, a reliable centerfielder for us.

longtimeyankeefan
11-05-05, 04:34 PM
Exactly, he's worth trying out in CF. He is young\cheap and one of the best options available. We also have Bubba as a backup if he fails, and I think he proved himself to be, at the very least, a reliable centerfielder for us.

What I do not understand is - if Bubba is an acceptable alternative should Bradley (or whomever) fails, why isn't he the choice?

jbauer2485
11-05-05, 04:50 PM
What I do not understand is - if Bubba is an acceptable alternative should Bradley (or whomever) fails, why isn't he the choice?

I've said that I would be secure with Bubba in CF because we made the playoffs with Bernie, and Bubba is much better defensively than him.

However, Milton is worth pursuing because he is young and cheap. We also need another outfielder because we can't risk having anyone injured without a Bubba-like replacement. So I would put Milton in CF, maintain Bubba's 4th outfielder duties and give Sheffield a break in RF.

Roberto Kelly
11-05-05, 05:20 PM

What incentive does Chicago have for trading Rowand?

ieddyi
11-05-05, 05:40 PM
What incentive does Chicago have for trading Rowand?

Especially for a question mark like Wright. It's not like they're desperate for pitching- their staff is way better than ours

Jasbro
11-05-05, 06:41 PM
Kent can't communicate well with African Americans because there are none. You're either African or American but not both. Is Pedro Martinez referred to as a Dominican American? No! Are there any Irish Americans? No!

You've got to be kidding me.

yank4life2005
11-05-05, 06:55 PM
I can only hope the Dodgers non-tender Bradley and make him a Free Agent. I believe the deadline is 12/21.

Can someone confirm?

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-05-05, 07:40 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'm scared another team would pick him up before we do if he hits free agency...

Fabien Brandy
11-05-05, 07:53 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'm scared another team would pick him up before we do if he hits free agency...

This is my feeling exactly. He is such a perfect fit as the athletic, switch-hitting CFer who can handle the two spot in the order that I'm petrified that the Red Sox are going to pounce, letting Damon for picks.

Seems like he'd be the ideal 'Reggie Jackson's Special Project' player.

YankeeFan1
11-05-05, 08:53 PM
I hope the Yankees take a chance on Bradley, especially if they can get him as a FA. If Joe and Jeter can keep him on the straight and narrow, Bradley would be a wonderful addition to the Yankee. He is cheap, young, athletic, a good hitter, and a good defensive center fielder. If he causes problems, he can easily be traded or released without the Yankees taking a serious hit. If Bradley can work out his issues, he can be an asset to the Yankees for years to come.

Prickly Pete
11-05-05, 09:19 PM
I can only hope the Dodgers non-tender Bradley and make him a Free Agent. I believe the deadline is 12/21.

Can someone confirm?
Dec. 20.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 09:25 PM
Well does anybody care to give him a chance after his left torn patella tendo and is on the DL for 60-days? or Not?

Yanksagain
11-05-05, 09:35 PM
I believe Bradley is the best option that won't cost us Cano. I just hope he is available on 12/20.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 09:37 PM
But what about Giles or Damon?
I believe Bradley is the best option that won't cost us Cano. I just hope he is available on 12/20.

AMYanks
11-05-05, 09:47 PM
But what about Giles or Damon?

Damon is not a good option. Way too expensive, already has as bad an arm as Bernie, and in the last 2 years of his contract, will be just like Bernie.

Steph19
11-05-05, 09:51 PM
Even with his personality problems and injury problems, I have my doubts that LA would just let the guy go for nothing. He's got a ton of talent.

I wonder how cheaply he'll come exactly, assuming the Dodgers retain him. And I wonder if the knee injury will affect his defensive game. We talk about Torii's ankle so this has to be an area of concern too.

That said, he probably is the best bet at a reasonable price

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 09:54 PM
Well I don't think if it comes down to it the money won't matter to the boss, And I'am not saying:dunno: go get Damon but any body at this time is expensive.
Damon is not a good option. Way too expensive, already has as bad an arm as Bernie, and in the last 2 years of his contract, will be just like Bernie.

AMYanks
11-05-05, 10:03 PM
Well I don't think if it comes down to it the money won't matter to the boss, And I'am not saying:dunno: go get Damon but any body at this time is expensive.

Bradley (or Wilkerson) would be a better fit and less expensive.

It does come down to the money, the Yankees can no longer hand out 4-5 year deals worth $12-$13M per year. It has not put them in a good situation.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 10:08 PM
Wilkerson will be my choice then because of Bradley is still on the DL how is he going to be in 2006. Who know right or wrong?
Bradley (or Wilkerson) would be a better fit and less expensive.

It does come down to the money, the Yankees can no longer hand out 4-5 year deals worth $12-$13M per year. It has not put them in a good situation.

AMYanks
11-05-05, 10:11 PM
Wilkerson will be my choice then because of Bradley is still on the DL how is he going to be in 2006. Who know right or wrong?

Well, injuries were my main concern about Bradley, I think Torre could keep him relatively under control. However, if we could get him for a couple of fringe minor leaguers, or wait until he is a free agent and sign him on the cheap, I think it would be a very good move. As a player, he has too much upside to not be interested in.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 10:16 PM
Well it's said that Torii Hnter sold his home in Minnesota do you see a buyout of his contract and would it be good idea to sign him leaving money matters out of the questions?
Well, injuries were my main concern about Bradley, I think Torre could keep him relatively under control. However, if we could get him for a couple of fringe minor leaguers, or wait until he is a free agent and sign him on the cheap, I think it would be a very good move. As a player, he has too much upside to not be interested in.

AMYanks
11-05-05, 10:21 PM
Well it's said that Torii Hnter sold his home in Minnesota do you see a buyout of his contract and would it be good idea to sign him leaving money matters out of the questions?

He won't be bought out, he'll have to be acquired via trade. And I don't think he's worth giving up anything of value for.

DaddyYankee279
11-05-05, 10:28 PM
At frist I said Cano but keeping in mind that thats what they have done in the past we ended up with almost no prospect in the farm system.
He won't be bought out, he'll have to be acquired via trade. And I don't think he's worth giving up anything of value for.

longtimeyankeefan
11-05-05, 11:20 PM
Well does anybody care to give him a chance after his left torn patella tendo and is on the DL for 60-days? or Not?

Bradley had surgery on his torn patellar tendon early in September. He may well be ready for spring training, but this injury and subsequent surgery makes me absolutely uninterested in taking a chance on him.

All we need is to acquire him only to discover he needs more time to heal.

I change my vote to PASS.

Rich
11-05-05, 11:36 PM
The surgery would also likely substantially reduce the Dodger's asking price.

If the choice is Bubba and no Bradley, or Bubba and Bradley, common sense strongly argues in favor of the later if the price is cheap.

Babe Rules
11-05-05, 11:39 PM
No way Bradley will be non-tendered.
Giving that he made 2.5 Million last year, how much do you think he would make through arb? 5-6 Million? If he's healthy, he would be very tradeable with that salary.

WhatRivalry22
11-05-05, 11:43 PM
Mondesi was less of a problem than Bradley and look how well Mondesi worked out. I'd pass. He's too much of a loose cannon. So sad that his ego is bigger than his talent.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
11-06-05, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
Kent can't communicate well with African Americans because there are none. You're either African or American but not both. Is Pedro Martinez referred to as a Dominican American? No! Are there any Irish Americans? No!

You've got to be kidding me.
No, I'm not kidding you. Think about it. If you were born in Germany and moved to America, what are you? You're German. You're not a German American. If your parents were born in Germany, moved to America where you were born, then you are an American. Country of origin identifies you. Incidentally, Andy Rooney talked about this on 60 minutes in one of his rants. And the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with him that he's right.

After reading the rest of the posts, I'm not so sure I want Milton Bradley on the team, especially since Terrell Owens was brought up and how disruptive he has been to the Eagles. A few times Sheffield has run his mouth and it has not helped the team at all. Wasn't he the one who said the Red Sox were not a very professional team while we held a 3-0 series lead on them in 2004? And then they beat us 4 straight. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Sheffield traded if we could get something of value for him.

Give me a fiery player like Paul O'Neill who gets angry when he doesn't play well but who doesn't have much to say to the press any day of the week.

Fabien Brandy
11-06-05, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Incidentally, Andy Rooney talked about this on 60 minutes in one of his rants. And the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with him that he's right.

Didn't Andy Rooney also ask "And why do people say 'taking a dump' when, actually, you're not really taking anything? Why not say 'leaving a dump?'".

yanksphan
11-06-05, 10:16 AM
Quote:

No, I'm not kidding you. Think about it. If you were born in Germany and moved to America, what are you? You're German. You're not a German American. If your parents were born in Germany, moved to America where you were born, then you are an American. Country of origin identifies you. Incidentally, Andy Rooney talked about this on 60 minutes in one of his rants. And the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with him that he's right.

I can't believe I'm even playing along here - but how about this:

My mom was born in Korea, my Dad was born in New Jersey. I was born on a military base in Korea - what's that make me?

OT: Bradley makes complete sense given the other options. The injury is a concern, but given the alternatives, I'd roll the dice. Worst case scenario, we end up with Bubba in CF and are forced to get a CF by the trade deadline.

ppa79
11-06-05, 10:21 AM
The only reason I want Bradley is because I think it will take the less to get him and he will be a good CF if he can keep himself focused on baseball. In the end, I don''t want to give up any top prospects. But if Wilkerson and Bradley are both available and both will cost the same, I would prefer Wilkerson.

YankeePride1967
11-06-05, 10:59 AM
The only reason I want Bradley is because I think it will take the less to get him and he will be a good CF if he can keep himself focused on baseball. In the end, I don''t want to give up any top prospects. But if Wilkerson and Bradley are both available and both will cost the same, I would prefer Wilkerson.

That is my take as well. I'm not high on Bradley, I'm just lower on the other options that have appeared to date.

SODM
11-06-05, 11:15 AM
The notion that there is no downside to getting Milton Bradley is false.
Aside from the baggage he brings, the big risk is not adequately addressing the hole in CF now, when we have the best means to do so.

Fabien Brandy
11-06-05, 01:24 PM
Aside from the baggage he brings, the big risk is not adequately addressing the hole in CF now, when we have the best means to do so.

I disagree that right now is when we have the best means to adequately address the hole in CF - in fact it might be the worst time to look for a long-term solution at that position.

When the market is not good for what you need, its best to retain flexibility by trying cheaper, shorter-term options rather than forcing a long-term 'solution' that ends up not working.

Signing a Damon or Jacque Jones requires multi-year commitment and loss of draft picks. Getting a Hunter or Rowand is too dear in trade costs.

Next year or even the 2006 trading deadline will bring new free agents, new trade scenarios and more data on the progress of prospects, so even if Milton Bradley doesn't work out, they've bought themselves some time for better options to come along.

mhmajp
11-06-05, 02:12 PM
Quote:
No, I'm not kidding you. Think about it. If you were born in Germany and moved to America, what are you? You're German. You're not a German American. If your parents were born in Germany, moved to America where you were born, then you are an American.

The primary difference being that very few Americans who came to this country from Africa came her by anything even resembling choice.

NewEraYanks2527
11-06-05, 02:24 PM
I thought this was a thread making a case for Milton Bradley, not discussing immigration.

Crusadecat
11-06-05, 02:42 PM
I think Milton Bradley is like T.O, without the talent. A malcontent who will create more problems than he could ever solve. i would want no part of him.

Kulish29
11-06-05, 04:29 PM
I think Milton Bradley is like T.O, without the talent. A malcontent who will create more problems than he could ever solve. i would want no part of him.

They're not even comparable. T.O. is just a loud mouth media whore. Bradley is none of those things. He's had his problems, but he is not on the level of T.O.

YankeePride1967
11-06-05, 04:45 PM

If we can get a comparable player at the same cost (doubtful) I'd agree. As I stated before, I honestly feel the player we get hasn't even been named yet, but of the names (trading for Hunter, overspending for Damon, going with Crosby) this makes the most sense. Especially if it's a one year deal.

wileedog
11-06-05, 05:18 PM
They're not even comparable. T.O. is just a loud mouth media whore. Bradley is none of those things. He's had his problems, but he is not on the level of T.O.

T.O. hasn't publically accused a teamate of being a racist, nor thrown things at fans in the stands.

OWens is consistent in his whining and constant "look at me!!!" stunts, but he's no where near as unpredictable as Bradley, who could blow up over anything.

Jasbro
11-06-05, 05:51 PM
Quote:

You have never heard the terms Italian-American, Irish-American or Polish-American before?

I can't believe that your part of Florida is so homogenous and/or so far removed out of the American mainstream that such terms are unfamiliar to you.

Millions of people consider themselves to be Americans yet still identify with their ethnicity or family heritage regardless of where they were actually born. You may not choose to do so, or even not like when people choose to do so for themselves, but to disregard the designations out-of-hand in the manner you have is insensitive at best and ignorant at worst.

There is no such thing as a "real" or a "pure" American. To suggest otherwise is offensive.

Kulish29
11-06-05, 06:08 PM
T.O. hasn't publically accused a teamate of being a racist, nor thrown things at fans in the stands.

OWens is consistent in his whining and constant "look at me!!!" stunts, but he's no where near as unpredictable as Bradley, who could blow up over anything.

You just proved my point. They're not even comparable because they have two different personalities. Milton Bradley and Terrel Owens are nothing alike.

wileedog
11-06-05, 06:19 PM
You just proved my point. They're not even comparable because they have two different personalities. Milton Bradley and Terrel Owens are nothing alike.

Uh uh.

Your point was that Bradley was "not on the level of T.O."

I disagree. Making accusations of racism, getting arrested for mouthing off at cops, throwing things at fans, etc all put Bradley square on the same level with TO, IMO.

Yes, they are different people with different brands of psychosis. That doesn't mean Bradley is necessarily preferrable to Owens.

SODM
11-06-05, 06:41 PM
Uh uh.

Your point was that Bradley was "not on the level of T.O."

I disagree. Making accusations of racism, getting arrested for mouthing off at cops, throwing things at fans, etc all put Bradley square on the same level with TO, IMO.

Yes, they are different people with different brands of psychosis. That doesn't mean Bradley is necessarily preferrable to Owens.

Don't forget beating your 4 month pregnant wife. :(

DaddyYankee279
11-06-05, 06:52 PM
:enraged:are you for real? Beat his pregnant wife?

yank4life2005
11-06-05, 06:56 PM
:enraged:are you for real? Beat his pregnant wife?

Bradley didn't beat her..He choked her...Doesn't make it any better.

DaddyYankee279
11-06-05, 07:00 PM
To say the truth is what he does off the field more important then what he does on it?
Bradley didn't beat her..He choked her...Doesn't make it any better.

cuban_yanksfan
11-06-05, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=longtimeyankeefan]Being in Philly, I equate the possible impact of Milton Bradley on the Yankees to the impact that Terrell Owens has had on the Eagles.

Woah. The T.O. situation and Bradley's temperare two completly different beasts. I think Bradley reacts poorly to adverse situations where T.O. creates them.

I know Torre can keep him in check. Plus, I'll bet Bradley's been dying to play for a manager like Torre. ~Think Corey Dillon~

wileedog
11-06-05, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=longtimeyankeefan]Being in Philly, I equate the possible impact of Milton Bradley on the Yankees to the impact that Terrell Owens has had on the Eagles.

Woah. The T.O. situation and Bradley's temperare two completly different beasts. I think Bradley reacts poorly to adverse situations where T.O. creates them.

I know Torre can keep him in check. Plus, I'll bet Bradley's been dying to play for a manager like Torre. ~Think Corey Dillon~

Corey Dillon was never, ever a problem until he got sick and tired of playing for a craptastically inept organization. There is no similarity between him and Bradley - none.

Furthermore, I don't see where this confidence comes from that Torre can 'handle' Bradley. Torre couldn't deal with Ruben (the first time), Chad Curtis, Lofton or Mondesi, all of whom were given a quick bus ticket out of here and none of whom even remotely come close on the 'cancer' scale to Milton Bradley.

NewEraYanks2527
11-06-05, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry but I have a real problem with someone like Bradley wearing the pinstripes. That is awful what he did to his wife. I'm not saying everyone on the Yankees is a saint but this guy is just awful. Sometimes to me, the integrity of the team is more important than the production we get out of a player.

wileedog
11-06-05, 08:48 PM

I forgot about that.

I have zero desire to root for this piece of trash, nor have him patrol the same grounds as Joe D, Mick and Bernie Williams.

yanksphan
11-06-05, 09:04 PM
I forgot about that.

I have zero desire to root for this piece of trash, nor have him patrol the same grounds as Joe D, Mick and Bernie Williams.

Fine if you don't care for the guy - but lets make sure you know the story first...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/1705006.html

not that what he did was right, but it's not like he just decided one day to beat his wife. It's truly a disfunctional relationship on both ends.

And I hate to burst your bubble - but Joe D and the Mick weren't exactly ever considered for father/husband of the year. They were both consumed with family problems of their own, but during that era, much of it went unreported. Aplogies followed later on in life.

ppa79
11-06-05, 09:29 PM

I think T.O.'s problem is money. He thinks he is the best player on the team and wants to be paid so. If Philadelphia paid him more money I bet he would keep his mouth shut, but you never know.

wileedog
11-06-05, 09:41 PM
Fine if you don't care for the guy - but lets make sure you know the story first...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/1705006.html

not that what he did was right, but it's not like he just decided one day to beat his wife. It's truly a disfunctional relationship on both ends.

And I hate to burst your bubble - but Joe D and the Mick weren't exactly ever considered for father/husband of the year. They were both consumed with family problems of their own, but during that era, much of it went unreported. Aplogies followed later on in life.
Whatever. WHen it gets to the point where you are rationalizing a guy choking his pregnant wife, perhaps its time to take a step back.

You know, when the Eagles were talking about getting Owens I'm sure a lot of Philly fans made all kinds of excuses for him too.

That turned out well.

This guy has been trouble wherever he's gone, on or off the field. THinking that Joe is going to work some mysterious magic on him is naive at best.

And lost in all of this is that the guy has a serious problem staying healthy, and is coming off major knee surgery too.

Whatever my personal feelings, I don't think he's worth the risk for the 250 ABs he's likely to give us.

ppa79
11-06-05, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry but I have a real problem with someone like Bradley wearing the pinstripes. That is awful what he did to his wife. I'm not saying everyone on the Yankees is a saint but this guy is just awful. Sometimes to me, the integrity of the team is more important than the production we get out of a player.

I don't know how much Bradley beating his wife will affect the Yankees decision in getting him. If the Yankee believe that its a reason that he should never wear pinstripes, then they should fire Dwight Gooden immediately because he did the same thing. It shouldn't matter if he is a coach or player, they should be treated equally.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2012308

yanksphan
11-06-05, 09:55 PM
Whatever. WHen it gets to the point where you are rationalizing a guy choking his pregnant wife, perhaps its time to take a step back.

I didn't "rationalize" anything - You agreed with a post that had incorrect info. I gave you a link with a detailed account of what actually happened. The guy did some terrible stuff that's been documented - no need to make stuff up, that's all.

longtimeyankeefan
11-06-05, 09:57 PM
I think T.O.'s problem is money. He thinks he is the best player on the team and wants to be paid so. If Philadelphia paid him more money I bet he would keep his mouth shut, but you never know.

[off-topic]

The Eagles did pay him the money he wanted - and he signed a contract to play for the money he (or his agent) negotiated. He is now acting like a spoiled child and should be treated as such.

[/off-topic]

NewEraYanks2527
11-06-05, 10:24 PM
I don't know how much Bradley beating his wife will affect the Yankees decision in getting him. If the Yankee believe that its a reason that he should never wear pinstripes, then they should fire Dwight Gooden immediately because he did the same thing. It shouldn't matter if he is a coach or player, they should be treated equally.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2012308

It's my personal feeling about the guy not really being a good representative of the New York Yankees, personally I just cringe at the thought of any wifebeaters having anything to do with this team, I know what I or any fan thinks will impact what moves the Yankees make, but I really just don't like Bradley and the personal baggage he carries with him.

SODM
11-06-05, 10:38 PM
personally I just cringe at the thought of any wifebeaters having anything to do with this team

Now, now...............get your facts straight.
It's wife-CHOKER, not wife-BEATER.

SODM
11-06-05, 10:39 PM
.........then they should fire Dwight Gooden immediately because he did the same thing.

Now you're talking!

wileedog
11-06-05, 10:48 PM
I didn't "rationalize" anything - You agreed with a post that had incorrect info. I gave you a link with a detailed account of what actually happened. The guy did some terrible stuff that's been documented - no need to make stuff up, that's all.

From your article:

"Victim said her husband turned around and used his right forearm and pushed her against the wall," an officer wrote. "Victim stated (Bradley's) forearm was against her throat and she was having a difficult time breathing."

So that's NOT choking his pregnant wife?

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
11-06-05, 11:45 PM
Quote:

Jasbro wrote:
You have never heard the terms Italian-American, Irish-American or Polish-American before?

I can't believe that your part of Florida is so homogenous and/or so far removed out of the American mainstream that such terms are unfamiliar to you.

Millions of people consider themselves to be Americans yet still identify with their ethnicity or family heritage regardless of where they were actually born. You may not choose to do so, or even not like when people choose to do so for themselves, but to disregard the designations out-of-hand in the manner you have is insensitive at best and ignorant at worst.

There is no such thing as a "real" or a "pure" American. To suggest otherwise is offensive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK writes:
Most people I know consider themselves to be American of Italian descent or American of Irish descent, etc., etc. There's no need for me to be going around stating that I'm an Irish, Italian American. Next.

The reason Florida is so far out of the American mainstream is that we don't have electricity down here and therefore have no lights to read books with and find out information. But I'm originally from New Jersey and later moved to New York before coming to Florida so there's no need for you to try to exaggerate. Next.

When you start to say things like "but to disregard the designations out-of-hand in the manner you have is insensitive at best and ignorant at worst" you are trying to attack your opponent and therefore automatically lose the argument. Think of a court of law. Have you ever heard of one lawyer attacking another? No! They argue the point in question, not call each other names. Next.

And finally you wrote "There is no such thing as a "real" or a "pure" American. To suggest otherwise is offensive." Lame. But thanks. You just supported my original statement that "Kent can't communicate well with African Americans because there are none." If you're right we have to tell the President not to start his speeches with "My fellow Americans ...." Next.

As for the poster who has an American father and Korean mother and was born in Korea, I don't know the answer there. A former Montreal Canadien, Rick Chartraw, of Canadian heritage, was born in South America, prematurely, I believe. What do we do there? What designation should we give to Derek Jeter who is half white and half black, other than that he's an American?

Jasbro, I don't know what to do about you. Seems like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. (It's a good thing you never heard the rest of that Andy Rooney rant.) I'm sorry but I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list NEXT!!!

yanksphan
11-07-05, 12:00 AM
From your article:

So that's NOT choking his pregnant wife?

It certainly is. But that's not what you agreed with earlier.

After reading the article, I'm sure you understand there was more to the incident than what most people are reporting as well.

yanksphan
11-07-05, 12:01 AM
As for the poster who has an American father and Korean mother and was born in Korea, I don't know the answer there. A former Montreal Canadien, Rick Chartraw, of Canadian heritage, was born in South America, prematurely, I believe. What do we do there? What designation should we give to Derek Jeter who is half white and half black, other than that he's an American?

I consider myself Korean-American. So does the U.S. Government according to my Naturalization Certificate.

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 03:38 AM
This is George King, but his following article does talk about Cashman looking into trading for Bradley.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/30867.htm

ring403
11-07-05, 07:56 AM
This is George King, but his following article does talk about Cashman looking into trading for Bradley.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/30867.htm
He's young, cheap and talented. He'll also require no long term risk or obligation. Throw in the fact that he'll be highly motivated because he'll be eligible for free agency after the season, and it's hard not to consider Bradley as a CF option. From a purely baseball perspective, the risk/reward ratio is pretty favorable. I'm glad to see the Yankees exploring him as a possibility.

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 09:06 AM
He's young, cheap and talented. He'll also require no long term risk or obligation. Throw in the fact that he'll be highly motivated because he'll be eligible for free agency after the season, and it's hard not to consider Bradley as a CF option. From a purely baseball perspective, the risk/reward ratio is pretty favorable. I'm glad to see the Yankees exploring him as a possibility.
That is my thoughts exactly about him. However, I hope Cashman explores getting somebody like Wilkerson too which would give Torre the option of rotating Matsui, Giambi and Sheffield at DH.

silverdsl
11-07-05, 09:12 AM
I'm disappointed that the Yankees are seriously considering Bradley. First, from a purely baseball viewpoint he has recent injury issues and I'd be worried about how ready he is going to be by the time spring training rolls around. Also, whether that knee problem is going to be something chronic or not.

But more than that I think Bradley has some serious personality issues that go beyond being a little off-center. He's worn out his welcome with two teams so far despite how much talent he has, gotten into it with teammates and I believe his manager with the Indians, lost his temper in all sorts of inappropriate ways on the field, and has had run-ins with the police on more than one occasion. The domestic violence issue, regardless of whether his wife was also a perpetrator or not, is sickening. This is a player who is a powder keg waiting to explode at any time.

I would really like to know from all the people who think that Torre and Jeter are going to be able to keep him under control why they think that would happen - Torre couldn't keep Mondesi from acting out, couldn't fully keep Wells under control and he hasn't been able to keep Sheffield from mouthing off. So I have a lot of doubts Bradley would suddenly become a model citizen in pinstripes just because he's around Torre and Jeter.

-Deborah

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 09:20 AM
I'm disappointed that the Yankees are seriously considering Bradley. First, from a purely baseball viewpoint he has recent injury issues and I'd be worried about how ready he is going to be by the time spring training rolls around. Also, whether that knee problem is going to be something chronic or not.

But more than that I think Bradley has some serious personality issues that go beyond being a little off-center. He's worn out his welcome with two teams so far despite how much talent he has, gotten into it with teammates and I believe his manager with the Indians, lost his temper in all sorts of inappropriate ways on the field, and has had run-ins with the police on more than one occasion. The domestic violence issue, regardless of whether his wife was also a perpetrator or not, is sickening. This is a player who is a powder keg waiting to explode at any time.

I would really like to know from all the people who think that Torre and Jeter are going to be able to keep him under control why they think that would happen - Torre couldn't keep Mondesi from acting out, couldn't fully keep Wells under control and he hasn't been able to keep Sheffield from mouthing off. So I have a lot of doubts Bradley would suddenly become a model citizen in pinstripes just because he's around Torre and Jeter.

-Deborah
I would be disappointed if the Yankees didn't inquire about Bradley because well run baseball organizations look at every opportunity to improve and I'm sure his injury recovery would be evaluated prior to any trade is finalized. Secondly, nobody expects Bradley to be a model citizen and though Mondesi, Wells and even Sheffield had their problems in pinstripes, some of them were far worse with other teams.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 09:28 AM
I would be disappointed if the Yankees didn't inquire about Bradley because well run baseball organizations look at every opportunity to improve and I'm sure his injury recovery would be evaluated prior to any trade is finalized. Secondly, nobody expects Bradley to be a model citizen and though Mondesi, Wells and even Sheffield had their problems in pinstripes, some of them were far worse with other teams.

So then you'd have no problem signing somebody like John Rocker if it would improve the Yanks? Both are racists only different color skinned.

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 09:29 AM
So then you'd have no problem signing somebody like John Rocker if it would improve the Yanks? Both are racists only different colored skin.
I don't think Milton Bradley is a racist and I don't know enough about Rocker to say he is.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 09:30 AM
I don't think Milton Bradley is a racist and I don't know enough about Rocker to say he is.

Sure he is. I'll have to find you the article that was posted in this forum.

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 09:35 AM
Sure he is. I'll have to find you the article that was posted in this forum.
If you feel that way so be it, but it takes more than a newspaper article for me to brand a person a racist.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 09:36 AM

The article is no longer available, but the thread is and quotes from his article and some of our impressions still exist:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=87980

And my take-where I pull out quotes-if you're interested:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=2625982&postcount=15

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=2625984&postcount=16

I think other member's observations are interesting as well. You might want to read up on the thread.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 09:38 AM
If you feel that way so be it, but it takes more than a newspaper article for me to brand a person a racist.

It takes quotes form that person for me to determine that. And this wasn't the fist time he's made such quotes.

If I say all black, Japanese, Italian or Jewish etc.people are XYZ and *#$%, I'm sure you and others would brand me a racist.

Yankees1962
11-07-05, 09:43 AM
It takes quotes form that person for me to determine that. And this wasn't the fist time he's made such quotes.

If I say all black, Japanese, Italian or Jewish etc.people are XYZ and *#$%, I'm sure you and others would brand me a racist.
I don't know you well enough to brand you anything except to say I disagree with your opinions quite often.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 09:44 AM
I don't know you well enough to brand you anything except to say I disagree with your opinions quite often.

Maybe you can read through that thread and make a call.

ppa79
11-07-05, 09:55 AM

-Deborah

As past history has shown, I think the Yankees will get Bradley if the price is right regardless of his problems. The Yankees have never shyed from troubled players even if they have been accused of domestic violence. When the Yankees brought in Canseco in 2000, he was charged numerous times with domestic violence prior to 2000. How many times have the Yankees welcomed back Gooden and Strawberry with all the altercations with the law. Gooden just beat his live in girlfriend in early 2005 and the Yankees didn't disciplined him. I wouldn't be suprised if the Yankees make Bradley take some anger management classes like they probably did with Strawberry and Gooden.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if the Yankees make Bradley take some anger management classes like they probably did with Strawberry and Gooden.
And we all know how wonderfully successful that was. ;)

Archer1979
11-07-05, 10:11 AM
Milton Bradley = Carl Everett with issues.

I don't care what his attributes are, eventually, his contributions will become a detriment to the team.

Mark19
11-07-05, 10:25 AM
Bradley's history troubles me but I cannot ignore his tremendous potential as a ballplayer. I have faith that Torre can make him a productive part of the team. Also, if he does mouth off and start acting disrespectfully, I think we can count on Sheff putting him in his place.

ppa79
11-07-05, 10:25 AM
And we all know how wonderfully successful that was. ;)

And still the Yankees bring them back as instructors so I have no reason to think the Yankees will not try to bring in Bradley.

Dooley Womack
11-07-05, 10:28 AM
And still the Yankees bring them back as instructors so I have no reason to think the Yankees will not try to bring in Bradley.

I think that the Yanks and both men have cut ties.

SoCal Pinstriper
11-07-05, 10:37 AM
Bradley is an intriguing player with loads of talent, and a personality that when properly channeled can be a positive force on a team. Unfortunatly, he's just not reliable. He has proven himself unable to handle the ups and downs of a season.

For that reason, if the Yanks(or any other team) takes a chance on him, they need to have a solid plan B in place, because milton has shown that somthing, mental or physical, will likely prevent him from being at his best in CF every day.

Yanks Lifer
11-07-05, 10:41 AM

I totally agree with this move from a baseball perspective, IF Bradley's healthy. He certainly fills the need defensively and is a pretty good offensive player who fits the Yankee mold of showing patience at the plate. Since the Dodgers won't want to lose him for nothing, they shouldn't be asking for much. Maybe Torre's calming effect can help. If they were once considering Albert Belle, why not consider Bradley?

Blaze
11-07-05, 02:50 PM
As past history has shown, I think the Yankees will get Bradley if the price is right regardless of his problems. The Yankees have never shyed from troubled players even if they have been accused of domestic violence. When the Yankees brought in Canseco in 2000, he was charged numerous times with domestic violence prior to 2000. How many times have the Yankees welcomed back Gooden and Strawberry with all the altercations with the law. Gooden just beat his live in girlfriend in early 2005 and the Yankees didn't disciplined him. I wouldn't be suprised if the Yankees make Bradley take some anger management classes like they probably did with Strawberry and Gooden.

Strawberry and Gooden's drug problems were probably the main contributer to all their other 'personal problems', Milton on the other hand is just an all around A**hole. Doc and Straw had their problems but I don't ever remember them having as many problems on field problems as off field. For the most part I always got the impression that 'most' of their team mates liked them.

27IsNext
11-07-05, 02:51 PM
We have two more years of Joe Torre. Time to see if he's still got it as far as clubhouse management goes.

noneckwilliams
11-07-05, 03:05 PM
Strawberry and Gooden's drug problems were probably the main contributer to all their other 'personal problems', Milton on the other hand is just an all around A**hole. Doc and Straw had their problems but I don't ever remember them having as many problems on field problems as off field. For the most part I always got the impression that 'most' of their team mates liked them.

From what I've heard of Bradley the man has pychological issues that need to be addressed in some way. He may be an a-hole but there's probably an underlying cause to his behaviour. Hopefully sooner or later the dude gets help and figures it out.

ppa79
11-07-05, 03:09 PM

If the Yankee think that they shouldn't bring in Bradley because of the domestic violence problems then they should never bring back Gooden as a special instructor no matter how well liked he is.

aeromac76
11-07-05, 03:14 PM
Milton can play, and his risk/reward is a big upside. I know he has issues, but there are no Jeff Kents in this clubhouse and Torre, for all the criticism he gets here and rightfully so at times for his strategy, is without question the master people manager. It is why I wanted to see him stay and see the coaches go. Get better teachers in here but if Torre does nothing but manage people and feelings, I am good with it. The man is Sigmund Freud with a locker room and with this group, we need that more than people know. I shuddered when people wanted Piniella here.
If Bradly can be gotten on the cheap, you have to look into it because the kid can play the hell out of CF and can also hit the baseball.
But again, what will it take to get him.
A guy coming off injury problems not welcome in any clubhouses and a free agent after this year, I don't want to get held up.
In other words if we ask about Bradley and the names of Cano, Wang, Hughes or Duncan come up I hang up the phone and then send the Dodgers the bill for the call..

Dr. Gonzo
11-07-05, 03:21 PM
Milton can play, and his risk/reward is a big upside. I know he has issues, but there are no Jeff Kents in this clubhouse and Torre, for all the criticism he gets here and rightfully so at times for his strategy, is without question the master people manager. It is why I wanted to see him stay and see the coaches go. Get better teachers in here but if Torre does nothing but manage people and feelings, I am good with it. The man is Sigmund Freud with a locker room and with this group, we need that more than people know. I shuddered when people wanted Piniella here.
If Bradly can be gotten on the cheap, you have to look into it because the kid can play the hell out of CF and can also hit the baseball.
But again, what will it take to get him.
A guy coming off injury problems not welcome in any clubhouses and a free agent after this year, I don't want to get held up.
In other words if we ask about Bradley and the names of Cano, Wang, Hughes or Duncan come up I hang up the phone and then send the Dodgers the bill for the call..

I am sure Arod will be blamed for something involving bradley if he comes here.

27IsNext
11-07-05, 03:55 PM
I can just see Bradley getting pissed at some idiot Red Sox fan at Fenway and going ballistic. :roflmao:

Jasbro
11-07-05, 04:10 PM
From what I've heard of Bradley the man has pychological issues that need to be addressed in some way. He may be an a-hole but there's probably an underlying cause to his behaviour. Hopefully sooner or later the dude gets help and figures it out.

There was actually an excellent Sports Illustrated article on him early last year (sorry, don't have the link) that gave a very interesting insight into his anger issues. Evidently he was abandoned by his father practically at birth, and his father named him after himself without consulting his mother -- the birth certificate was signed by the father before the mother regained consciousness, or something crazy like that. His anger stems from more than just the naming incident -- but the incident sheds some light into just how much of an a**hole his dad was.

Anyway, he is very aware of the root of his issues and the article said that he was working very hard to harness his rage in a constructive way. I saw the guy in a completely different light after reading the article -- wish I could reference it for you guys....

If anyone could provide the father figure he evidently needs and provide an environment in which he could possibly thrive, I would think Torre would be the ideal guy...
I think that if anyone could

I Love Wang
11-07-05, 04:20 PM
Sheffield and Bradley on the same team would be interesting. They'd either be best of friends, or murder one another.

27IsNext
11-07-05, 04:23 PM
There was actually an excellent Sports Illustrated article on him early last year (sorry, don't have the link) that gave a very interesting insight into his anger issues. Evidently he was abandoned by his father practically at birth, and his father named him after himself without consulting his mother -- the birth certificate was signed by the father before the mother regained consciousness, or something crazy like that. His anger stems from more than just the naming incident -- but the incident sheds some light into just how much of an a**hole his dad was.

Anyway, he is very aware of the root of his issues and the article said that he was working very hard to harness his rage in a constructive way. I saw the guy in a completely different light after reading the article -- wish I could reference it for you guys....

If anyone could provide the father figure he evidently needs and provide an environment in which he could possibly thrive, I would think Torre would be the ideal guy...

I completely agree. I think Torre could do wonders for Bradley.

27IsNext
11-07-05, 04:24 PM
Remember, Bradley would likely only be a stop-gap until guys like Gardner, Tabata, Battle, and Jackson are ready.

AMYanks
11-07-05, 04:25 PM
A-Rod can bring Bradley with him when he goes to the shrink!

Mark19
11-07-05, 05:13 PM
My ideal scenario would be to trade a few middle prospects for Bradley and then sign someone like Juan Encarnacion or Richard Hidalgo to play right field while Sheff is at DH for most of the time.

Captain Yankee
11-07-05, 05:17 PM
Please...I beg the Yankees not to get Milton Bradley. He is not worth the headache.

Kulish29
11-07-05, 05:32 PM
Milton Bradley = Carl Everett with issues.

I don't care what his attributes are, eventually, his contributions will become a detriment to the team.

Actually, I heard Bradley believes in dinosaurs. Just not the Mesozoic era.

ppa79
11-07-05, 06:28 PM
My ideal scenario would be to trade a few middle prospects for Bradley and then sign someone like Juan Encarnacion or Richard Hidalgo to play right field while Sheff is at DH for most of the time.

Wouldn't it just be better to just sign Giles instead of Encarnacion or Hidalgo to play RF.

#7forever
11-07-05, 07:09 PM
While we're at it perhaps we can sign Latrell Sprewell and TO. This is not the kind of guy that works and plays well with others. Iknow because, I'm one of those guys and Bradley never misses a union meeting. Seriously, he has talent but what is the cost? I honestly doubt that Joe will be the answer for him. What happens the 1st time he crosses George? It's Raul Mondesi except with hot peppers.

Mark19
11-07-05, 07:18 PM
Wouldn't it just be better to just sign Giles instead of Encarnacion or Hidalgo to play RF.

I don't think Cashman wants to push the payroll back over $200 million. Giles is exceptionally talented but the reality is that he is a mid-30s NL hitter expecting at least 3 years/$30 million. Encarnacion and Hidalgo have their weaknesses but we would need them for their defense and platoonability.

I Love Wang
11-07-05, 07:22 PM
Remember, Bradley would likely only be a stop-gap until guys like Gardner, Tabata, Battle, and Jackson are ready.

If they're ever ready. Tabata, Battle, and Jackson are all teenagers. None are guys that I'd be willing to guarantee any sort of future production from. Thats just too far ahead to project. I do think Gardner will be a starting ML center fielder.

I Love Wang
11-07-05, 07:23 PM
I don't think Cashman wants to push the payroll back over $200 million. Giles is exceptionally talented but the reality is that he is a mid-30s NL hitter expecting at least 3 years/$30 million. Encarnacion and Hidalgo have their weaknesses but we would need them for their defense and platoonability.

Paying him 3 years at 30 would be less than what Bernie made this year. Brown's 15/year is also coming off. With the number of dead weight contracts that are expiring, it won't be hard to avoid reaching last year's payroll number.

Mark19
11-07-05, 07:30 PM
Paying him 3 years at 30 would be less than what Bernie made this year. Brown's 15/year is also coming off. With the number of dead weight contracts that are expiring, it won't be hard to avoid reaching last year's payroll number.

The Yankees would need to blow Giles away in order for him to come to the AL East. Do we really want to throw $10-12 million per season at someone who has never played in that sort of enviroment?

Also, if we do have Bradley at CF, Giles in right and Sheff at DH. That means that Giambi would play 1b everyday and Matsui and Posada would never get a day at DH, something they could both really use.

27IsNext
11-07-05, 07:34 PM
If they're ever ready. Tabata, Battle, and Jackson are all teenagers. None are guys that I'd be willing to guarantee any sort of future production from. Thats just too far ahead to project. I do think Gardner will be a starting ML center fielder.

Some think Tabata could be our very own Miguel Cabrera. I would not be suprised to see him in the next several years.

I agree with you on Gardner. He looks to be a Juan Pierre type, except one that actually gets on base and has a little more power. (I think.)

yankees76
11-07-05, 07:45 PM
I just love the idea of having Bradley start in CF during the same spring that Sheff is beginning the last year of his three-year deal. Friggin' hilarious. Maybe we could pry Carl Everett away from the White Sox while we are at it. Hey, you think T.O. can play CF?? I bet he can. (Probably couldn't hit a baseball, though.)

yankees76
11-07-05, 07:56 PM
Btw, what's the over-under on George Steinbrenner ever uttering the words, "Milton Bradley is a 'true Yankee.'"??

I Love Wang
11-08-05, 01:35 AM
Also, if we do have Bradley at CF, Giles in right and Sheff at DH. That means that Giambi would play 1b everyday and Matsui and Posada would never get a day at DH, something they could both really use.

Posada can sit. Sheffield can play the outfield, allowing Matsui to DH. I'd like one of the outfielders to learn to play first base adequately.

noneckwilliams
11-08-05, 07:58 AM

It's a total crapshoot to try and figure out what kind of environment he could thrive in - if there even is one. Would he be better off in Kansas City? Would New York be a rotten fit for him? It's probably more about the people around him than the geographical location.

Yankee Bulldawg
11-08-05, 08:02 AM
to much of a headache

ICEBERG18
11-09-05, 12:05 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sphey1109,0,3941586.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines

ring403
11-09-05, 12:10 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sphey1109,0,3941586.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines
Bradley would at least give Mr. Heyman another target besides Gary Sheffield.

Davios
11-09-05, 12:20 AM

I'm in favor of getting Bradley just because I believe it is the ultimate low risk high reward situation considering this team's needs, but I gotta admit this was pretty friggin funny.

"Point No. 1 was that he is full of ability. Point No. 2 is that he has issues. Saying Milton Bradley has issues is like saying George Steinbrenner has turtlenecks."

ICEBERG18
11-09-05, 12:21 AM
Bradley would at least give Mr. Heyman another target besides Gary Sheffield.

I got the feeling that he wrote the article not to worn the Yankees, but to not have to deal with him on a daily basis in the locker room.

His article cries out, please don't do this to the beat writers Cashman, please.

Rich
11-09-05, 01:14 AM
Pot meet kettle.

Yankees1962
11-09-05, 05:05 AM
Point No. 1 was that he is full of ability. Point No. 2 is that he has issues. Saying Milton Bradley has issues is like saying George Steinbrenner has turtlenecks.

It's important to touch on a few now before this gets out of hand, before the Yankees acquire Bradley to patrol the ground made hallowed by Bernie Williams and before him, Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio and Earle Combs.
Heyman must think he can stop this acquisition based on that second paragraph. Heyman is our version of CHB.

38Special
11-09-05, 08:53 AM
Jon Heyman is a grade A scumbag, which is ironic

noneckwilliams
11-09-05, 09:01 AM
Jon Heyman is a grade A scumbag, which is ironic

Half of this column is about Ugueth Urbina. How is that relevant?

Bradley's domestic abuse situation is the most disturbing aspect of his "resume". If the Yankees decide this guy can't be trusted fine but I hope they're giving it good look.

Cold Shad
11-09-05, 10:15 AM
Sheffield and Bradley on the same team would be interesting. They'd either be best of friends, or murder one another.If Sheffield was Willing to give MB the time, he would be a great mentor for him. Sheffield had many of the same problems as a young player.
He has managed to channel his rage in a positive direction as he has grown older. Could he help MB? Sure. Whether he would or not is something the YAnkees should determine before doing Anything.

JeffWeaverFan
11-10-05, 08:04 PM
I keep on thinking about it and I keep on wanting him. He's a huge risk but he's a very good player and is young! As a 27 year old, you would think he will not only mature over the years, but mature as a baseball player. The Dodgers seem to be willing to give him up for practically nothing so lets just get it done.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors?CMP=ILC-INHEAD

No takers
Nov 10 - According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have offered Milton Bradley to almost every team they've met with and continue to find resistance because of his volatile history.

wileedog
11-10-05, 09:16 PM
No takers
Nov 10 - According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have offered Milton Bradley to almost every team they've met with and continue to find resistance because of his volatile history.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

27 year old CFer with a boatload of proven ML talent, and the Dodgers can't give him away, despite a dirt cheap contract.

The most likely outcome of this is us in the similar boat as the Dodgers this time next year. or even at the trade deadline.

Pass.

Davios
11-10-05, 09:26 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

27 year old CFer with a boatload of proven ML talent, and the Dodgers can't give him away, despite a dirt cheap contract.

The most likely outcome of this is us in the similar boat as the Dodgers this time next year. or even at the trade deadline.

Pass.

I certainly feel like that's a risk, but what do the Yankees have to lose? So they rid themselves of a malcontent who still refuses to change, he still filled a key role for half a season. I feel liek the Yankees have nothing to lose here, if he keeps up his act they can always kick him to the curb.

wileedog
11-10-05, 09:33 PM
I certainly feel like that's a risk, but what do the Yankees have to lose? So they rid themselves of a malcontent who still refuses to change, he still filled a key role for half a season. I feel liek the Yankees have nothing to lose here, if he keeps up his act they can always kick him to the curb.

What they have to lose is that if they make a trade for Bradley they are not going to do anything else for the CF position.

WHich means if he implodes in the first couple of months then Bubba is our starting CFer for the rest of the year with no backup.

I'd rather deal the prospects for a Wilkerson or pay the money and take a gamble on Furcal then put ourselves in the likely situation of kicking Bradley to the curb mid-season with no one else on the roster.

PLenty of other teams have CF needs and they are not willing to take a chance either. WHatever we think on an internent MB, that speaks volumes to me that every other GM in baseball is passing on this idiot.

ring403
11-10-05, 10:03 PM
PLenty of other teams have CF needs and they are not willing to take a chance either. WHatever we think on an internent MB, that speaks volumes to me that every other GM in baseball is passing on this idiot.
The Dodgers will likely get offers for Bradley. It's still very early in the Hot Stove season for any trades to go down. There is not yet a clear picture of exactly who may be available, and what the asking prices will be.

Don Mack
11-10-05, 10:54 PM
I don't feel like getting burned by the Dodgers a 3rd time. Remember, they backed out of the Johnson deal, the one where we could have kept Dioner Navarro, a replacement for Posada.

Then they also sent us the worthless Kevin Brown whom every self-respecting Yankee fans despises.

Now what? Milton "Terrell" Bradley to cause trouble in the clubhouse? No thanks. And I'm glad DePodesta got fired. Hope he finds himself on the Unemployment lines and that they're real long.

Kudo
11-10-05, 11:30 PM
I don't feel like getting burned by the Dodgers a 3rd time. Remember, they backed out of the Johnson deal, the one where we could have kept Dioner Navarro, a replacement for Posada.

We would have had to give up Eric Duncan if that trade went through though. I would rather have Duncan than Navarro.

JeffWeaverFan
11-10-05, 11:47 PM
We would have had to give up Eric Duncan if that trade went through though. I would rather have Duncan than Navarro.
Beat me to it. DePodesta screwed up as a GM because he let the public backlash of the trade get to him instead of going with his gut and making a fantastic deal.

wileedog
11-10-05, 11:50 PM

Perhaps, but we sure need a young catcher more than we need a young 1st or 3rd baseman.

Yankee Clipper
11-11-05, 12:51 AM
Bradley is completely different than TO. TO is egotistical and doesn't care about the team. When Bradley went to LA, he was considered a leader there. He might be nuts, but we aren't losing anything from this. He won't hold out and won't make it about himself. And if he ever were to, well we just get rid of him after the year, BUT, if he is able to control himself, he's one of the best young CFs in the game and I think thats worth the risk. Here's some articles responding to Bradleys actions that I thought were interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2139387

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2141477

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 05:30 AM
If you read this article you will see the pool of players to acquire for CF is shrinking. I still think Bradley is the best move because teams will realize that with the Yankees being restricted by the lack of alternatives they can ask for the moon for players like Wilkerson, but the same can't be said for Bradley due to his prior problems.

The Yankees recently approached White Sox GM Kenny Williams about trying to work out a trade for center fielder Aaron Rowand, according to sources, but were told by Williams there was no match between the teams. That news shrank an already small pool of potential solutions for the Bombers' gaping hole in center and leaves them with few obvious candidates to replace Bernie Williams.

In addition, the Yankees essentially have ruled out moving Hideki Matsui from left field to center, which is the position he played in Japan. "Our preference is to leave him on the corner, if we retain him," GM Brian Cashman said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/364548p-310390c.html

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 05:36 AM
What they have to lose is that if they make a trade for Bradley they are not going to do anything else for the CF position.

WHich means if he implodes in the first couple of months then Bubba is our starting CFer for the rest of the year with no backup.

I'd rather deal the prospects for a Wilkerson or pay the money and take a gamble on Furcal then put ourselves in the likely situation of kicking Bradley to the curb mid-season with no one else on the roster.

The Yankees acquiring Bradley this offseason doesn't preclude the Yankees from acquiring another player mid-season if Bradley doesn't work out.

Sometimes in sports, you have to take a chance and gamble on a player.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
11-11-05, 02:56 PM
We should get Milton. He's fast, good arm, good bat, all around good ballplayer. I know he's got a bad reputation but so did Sheffield and despite a couple of minor incidents Shef has been cool.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:34 PM
I know he's got a bad reputation but so did Sheffield and despite a couple of minor incidents Shef has been cool.

One has nothing to do with the other.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:37 PM
Sometimes in sports, you have to take a chance and gamble on a player.

The Dodgers took a chance and gambled on the player when they traded with Cleveland for him. They figured playing near where he grew up and his mother would help calm him down and keep him more in line.

Now they can't give him away fast enough, and no one in the league wants any part.

Plus he'll probably be hurt within a month anyway.

I'm not saying it would be the biggest mistake in the world, because you are right that there is not much to lose. I just don't see the point and I would be worried having this guy near some of the younger kids.

Guys like Jeter, Po and Bernie broke in with O'Neil setting the tone in the clubhouse. It would be a shame if Cano, Wang and whoever else makes it up this year broke in with Milton Bradley setting the tone.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
11-11-05, 03:39 PM
One has nothing to do with the other.

Maybe not. But we do know that from the two placid years Shef has had in NY that what happened in the past does not mean that the same acts will continue in the future. Aside from the Giambi comments last year Shef has been cool.

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 03:40 PM
The Dodgers took a chance and gambled on the player when they traded with Cleveland for him. They figured playing near where he grew up and his mother would help calm him down and keep him more in line.

Now they can't give him away fast enough, and no one in the league wants any part.

Plus he'll probably be hurt within a month anyway.
That doesn't mean it couldn't work with the Yankees.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:42 PM
Maybe not. But we do know that from the two placid years Shef has had in NY that what happened in the past does not mean that the same acts will continue in the future. Aside from the Giambi comments last year Shef has been cool.

Sheff has NEVER had the same kind of problems that Bradley has. Sheff has had problems with club managements who he didn't feel were trying hard enough. That will never be a problem with George around, will it?

Bradley plays the race card wherever he goes, beat up his wife, gets in fights with cops and throws stuff at fans.

They are completely different, and Sheffs behavior is utterly irrelevant to Bradley's.

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 03:42 PM
I'm not saying it would be the biggest mistake in the world, because you are right that there is not much to lose. I just don't see the point and I would be worried having this guy near some of the younger kids.
Let's remember that Bradley's problems have nothing to do with him dogging it while playing so I don't know how he will have a negative impact on younger players.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:43 PM
Let's remember that Bradley's problems have nothing to do with him dogging it while playing so I don't know how he will have a negative impact on younger players.

The final straw that got him kicked out of Cleveland was not running out a pop up.

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 03:44 PM
Sheff has NEVER had the same kind of problems that Bradley has. Sheff has had problems with club managements who he didn't feel were trying hard enough. That will never be a problem with George around, will it?

Bradley plays the race card wherever he goes, beat up his wife, gets in fights with cops and throws stuff at fans.

They are completely different, and Sheffs behavior is utterly irrelevant to Bradley's.
I don't remember Bradley having issues with other players besides Kent about race and who knows, he might be right about him.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
11-11-05, 03:44 PM
We should get Milton. He's fast, good arm, good bat, all around good ballplayer. I know he's got a bad reputation but so did Sheffield and despite a couple of minor incidents Shef has been cool.

Many of Sheffield's worse incidents were when he was younger. And aside from grousing for money, Sheffield has been a well liked teammate and a leader who plays hard despite injuries. Bradley has been suspended for throwing a bottle into the stands, called Jeff Kent a racist, and was investigated by police last season for domestic violence claims. How is Bradley going to handle the taunts from the Red Sox fans, not to mention Yankee fans if he doesn't do well. I'd be very concerned to have this guy in NY. The talent is undeniable, but he's now burned his bridges with a 3rd organization (after Montreal, Cleveland, and now LA) and he's only 27. It's a huge gamble to bring this guy to the Yankees, but if he matures, than you are talking about a very high ceiling player. Regardless, I'm not sure if he's ready for NY right now.

Yankees1962
11-11-05, 03:46 PM
The final straw that got him kicked out of Cleveland was not running out a pop up.

Listen, we all know that Gary Sheffield did far worse things as far as dogging it on the field of play so if you're going to overlook Sheffield's transgressions then I think Bradley is a viable option to explore. Anyhow, you and I are not going to agree about this player so let's just agree to disagree.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:48 PM
I don't remember Bradley having issues with other players besides Kent about race and who knows, he might be right about him.

Last November when he was arrested it was for mouthing off to the cop who had pulled over his friends car.

His problem?

He was pissed because he thought the only reason that the driver had been pulled over was because he was black.

The guy has a very bad persecution syndrome.

wileedog
11-11-05, 03:50 PM
Listen, we all know that Gary Sheffield did far worse things as far as dogging it on the field of play so if you're going to overlook Sheffield's transgressions then I think Bradley is a viable option to explore. Anyhow, you and I are not going to agree about this player so let's just agree to disagree.

Again, Bradley's transgressions go way beyond Sheffs.

Remember last year when a Sox fan landed a punch on Sheff in Fenway? Sheff rightly restrained himself.

Bradley would have run to the dugout, grabbed a bat, come back and beaten that guy to a bloody pulp. That's the difference between them.

But fair enough, that's my last word on it too.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
11-11-05, 03:54 PM
Last November when he was arrested it was for mouthing off to the cop who had pulled over his friends car.

His problem?

He was pissed because he thought the only reason that the driver had been pulled over was because he was black.

The guy has a very bad persecution syndrome.

Were you there? No. So he told a cop off...something many, many people do but don't get arrested for. Maybe he was right, maybe he wasn't but this example of acting up that you provided does nothing to scare me away from MB. With all the checks against him, Bradley will not cost us much and it's not like he has ever been accused of dogging it and hurting his team on the field like Shef did in his younger days. If Shef can mature, why not Bradley?

Yankeeah
11-11-05, 03:58 PM
Aside from his behavior, he is pretty injury prone, IIRC.

I'm so torn about MB.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
11-11-05, 04:02 PM
Aside from his behavior, he is pretty injury prone, IIRC.

I'm so torn about MB.

That's a bigger concern to me than his off the field problems.

Yankeeah
11-11-05, 04:03 PM
That's a bigger concern to me than his off the field problems.

What about getting Wilk and MB, DH Seff/Matsui. This way if MB blows up in May, we have a decent replacement

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
11-11-05, 04:19 PM
What about getting Wilk and MB, DH Seff/Matsui. This way if MB blows up in May, we have a decent replacement

I like Wilkerson but I think we would have too many potential DHs. Remember Giambi is a year older and will probably need some starts at DH as well.

whalers
11-11-05, 05:11 PM
I like Wilkerson but I think we would have too many potential DHs. Remember Giambi is a year older and will probably need some starts at DH as well.

Wilkerson is not a DH. He played 148 games last year for a NL team. That would lead me to beleive that he can play the field.

enterthesandman
11-11-05, 05:14 PM
The real question is: Why not Preston Wilson? He's not too old, not too expensive, he can hit, he can field, he doesn't have an attitude problem, he's a FA... it seems like the perfect solution to me, short term anyway.

wileedog
11-11-05, 05:20 PM

Actually Wilkerson can play 1B.

Yankeeah
11-11-05, 06:49 PM
The real question is: Why not Preston Wilson? He's not too old, not too expensive, he can hit, he can field, he doesn't have an attitude problem, he's a FA... it seems like the perfect solution to me, short term anyway.

He made 12.5 million last y ear, thats pretty expensive. Hes an ok player, nothing special, but his cost would be way to much. Righties handle him well, too.

Kulish29
11-11-05, 06:54 PM

No thanks. He's not that good defensively and K's WAY too much.

nyyanksfan20
11-11-05, 07:40 PM
He made 12.5 million last y ear, thats pretty expensive. Hes an ok player, nothing special, but his cost would be way to much. Righties handle him well, too.

I'm not big on Preston or anything, but I doubt he gets more than 5 mil per and I doubt he gets more than a 3 year deal probably more likely a 2 year deal. I wouldn't consider that too much.

ring403
11-12-05, 11:23 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/364868p-310742c.html
Talented and troubled Milton Bradley could be a choice, but the Dodgers believe there will be an active trade market for him, a source said. It's believed that five other teams are interested - the A's, Cubs, Nationals, Pirates and Tigers. Jim Tracy, Bradley's former manager with the Dodgers, is now the Pirates' skipper and he thinks highly of the 27-year-old's talent.

George Steinbrenner
11-12-05, 01:19 PM
Id support getting Milton Bradley

Davios
11-12-05, 01:45 PM
I am gradually getting the feeling that bradley's pricetag is going to be far steeper than people are thinking....

Yankees1962
11-12-05, 01:49 PM
I am gradually getting the feeling that bradley's pricetag is going to be far steeper than people are thinking....
He has too much talent for somebody not to think that they can turn him around and have him realize his potential. The Yankees and many of their fans are going to find out that the price for getting a CF is not going to be cheap.

AMYanks
11-12-05, 01:49 PM

It appears that way. More teams are interested in him then what was previously thought. And you really can't blame them, he has a lot of talent. Just have to get his psychological problems figured out.

Davios
11-12-05, 01:52 PM
He has too much talent for somebody not to think that they can turn him around and have him realize his potential. The Yankees and many of their fans are going to find out that the price for getting a CF is not going to be cheap.

I am not sure the Yankees don't realize it, but the majority of people on this board at least seem to believe that the Dodgers are willing to part with Bradley for close to nothing. I'm going to go on record right now and state it is at the very least going to take at least one top quality prospect to obtain him.

Yankees1962
11-12-05, 01:59 PM
I am not sure the Yankees don't realize it, but the majority of people on this board at least seem to believe that the Dodgers are willing to part with Bradley for close to nothing. I'm going to go on record right now and state it is at the very least going to take at least one top quality prospect to obtain him.
Yes, you might be right about the Yankees already knowing that it's going to be expensive, hence, Cashman's comment about Crosby.

BJG
11-12-05, 02:07 PM

They are openly considering non-tendering him. No one will offer much if he's going to be a free agent a few weeks later.

Yankees1962
11-12-05, 02:16 PM
They are openly considering non-tendering him. No one will offer much if he's going to be a free agent a few weeks later.
We'll see one way or another in a matter of weeks.

Davios
11-12-05, 02:21 PM

They havn't openly discussed non-tendering him, guys in the media have been speculating that the dodgers are going to non-tender him but there is no way in hell they are going to do that now with the interest their currently is for Bradley considering the weak crop of talented outfielders.

Mark Healey
11-12-05, 10:04 PM
I thin Bradley would be a great fit, myself. Woulnd't cost much, and the upside is far greater than the downside...

BJG
11-12-05, 10:27 PM
They havn't openly discussed non-tendering him, guys in the media have been speculating that the dodgers are going to non-tender him but there is no way in hell they are going to do that now with the interest their currently is for Bradley considering the weak crop of talented outfielders.

Mediots don't speculate without a source. They are doing so because someone in the Dodgers floated it to them to see what kind of response it got.

BTW, we should also point out that the Pirates have apparently called about Bradley. The Pirates are now managed by Bradley's former manager Jim Tracy, who I guess we can assume doesn't have a problem with him.

ring403
12-05-05, 08:57 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3279184
DALLAS - The Dodgers are engaged in discussions with the Oakland Athletics on a potential trade that would involve troubled Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley and A's left-hander and former Cy Young Award winner Barry Zito.

It is unclear what additional players, if any, are involved in the discussions, but officials for both clubs are expected to meet sometime today, when baseball's annual winter meetings begin here today.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
12-05-05, 09:29 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3279184

And this would open up my earlier speculation on the Pavano thread of Kotsay for Pavano since Kotsay would now be replaced by Bradley. In the Billy Beane world of things, he probably figures, considering talent and finances:

Estaban Loiaza + Carl Pavano + Milton Bradley + prospects + payroll relief > Barry Zito + Mark Kotsay.

Yankees1962
12-05-05, 10:50 AM
Mediots don't speculate without a source. They are doing so because someone in the Dodgers floated it to them to see what kind of response it got.

BTW, we should also point out that the Pirates have apparently called about Bradley. The Pirates are now managed by Bradley's former manager Jim Tracy, who I guess we can assume doesn't have a problem with him.
That was before a new sheriff/GM came to town which is why I don't think Bradley is going to leave the Dodgers unless they get some value for him.

WrightIsWrong
12-05-05, 07:42 PM
Someone over at the Oakland A's forum on mlb.com posted that Milton Bradley has been traded to the A's for Joe Kennedy;This poster states he/she heard it on mlb radio;Can anyone verify.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-05-05, 07:46 PM
I can't verify the Kennedy thing, but when I heard the A's were interested Kennedy was the first name that jumped in my head. If its true then Beane has in effect traded Eric "i suck" Byrnes for Jay Whitasik and Milton Bradley.

Mark19
12-05-05, 11:26 PM
the athletics site says that a deal of Kirk Saarloos and Mario Ramos for Milton Bradley could be done

that means that jay payton or mark kotsay could be very traded

NYDCYankee
12-06-05, 04:39 AM
the athletics site says that a deal of Kirk Saarloos and Mario Ramos for Milton Bradley could be done

that means that jay payton or mark kotsay could be very traded

Kotsay will cost Cano or Wang. But Payton is interesting...

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 05:01 AM
i woul not mind payton

noneckwilliams
12-06-05, 06:45 AM
And this would open up my earlier speculation on the Pavano thread of Kotsay for Pavano since Kotsay would now be replaced by Bradley. In the Billy Beane world of things, he probably figures, considering talent and finances:

Estaban Loiaza + Carl Pavano + Milton Bradley + prospects + payroll relief > Barry Zito + Mark Kotsay.

I'd rather have Kotsay than Bradley although his back problems are a concern.

NYDCYankee
12-06-05, 06:45 AM

Oakland will try to fleece us for Kotsay.

StatenIslandYankee
12-06-05, 07:08 AM
Beane will want an arm and a leg for Kotsay.

noneckwilliams
12-06-05, 07:13 AM
Beane will want an arm and a leg for Kotsay.

Oakland will try to fleece us for Kotsay.

I think the price will be less than it was last summer. Kotsay didn't have a great year and has some injuries. He also makes I believe $6-7 mil (after signing last summer's extension) so Beane would be saving $$$ by dealing him.

NYDCYankee
12-06-05, 07:41 AM
I think the price will be less than it was last summer. Kotsay didn't have a great year and has some injuries. He also makes I believe $6-7 mil (after signing last summer's extension) so Beane would be saving $$$ by dealing him.

Still with the demand for CFers the way it is I expect the price to remain high.

noneckwilliams
12-06-05, 08:04 AM
Still with the demand for CFers the way it is I expect the price to remain high.

This is why I wanted to sign Beltran - but let's not go there.

;)

JMAN74
12-06-05, 05:52 PM
v Last year alone, Bradley was accused of choking his pregnant wife and accused teammate Jeff Kent of being a racist. The year before that, he was traded from the Indians during Spring Training after failing to run out a ground ball and getting into an argument with manager Eric Wedge. Later in the year, he was suspended twice, once for throwing a plastic bottle into the stands at Dodger Stadium and once for an extended post-ejection tantrum, then nearly came to blows in the clubhouse with a sportswriter during the playoffs.

He also spent some time in jail while with the Indians for bolting on police after a routine traffic stop.

YIKES! Didnt realize it was so much...thats quite a gamble. If we have to get this guy Get Pierre as the back-up fourth OF, rotateing with all players who DH Matsui/Sheff and then put him in CF if Bradley shows any signs of imploding.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-06-05, 06:05 PM
1)Would anybody be suprised to find out Jeff Kent was racist?
2)Does running out growndballs at the end of spring training when you are already in shape matter?
3)If you were fully prepared for the season and had a history of injury problems and your manager tried to pull some Bear Bryant ................ with you in spring training would you not say something to him? I've never seen Bradley dog it when it mattered
4)Posada and El Duque have fought in the clubhouse, same with Kent and Bonds and plenty of others
5)The wife thing makes him a complete POS if true, but doesn't effect baseball unless he does time. The loveable hall of famer Kirby Puckett suposedly hit his wife too.
6)The bottle thing and the ticket are the only things I would care about because they caused him to miss time. If he is available for Sarloos like I am hearing then he is still worth it IMO.

For the record I would probably hate the guy, but the same can be said of AJ Pierzynski, Carl Everett and Frank Thomas(to a lessor extent)...all are sporting rings

njommer
12-06-05, 06:09 PM
1)Would anybody be suprised to find out Jeff Kent was racist?
2)Does running out growndballs at the end of spring training when you are already in shape matter?
3)If you were fully prepared for the season and had a history of injury problems and your manager tried to pull some Bear Bryant ................ with you in spring training would you not say something to him? I've never seen Bradley dog it when it mattered
4)Posada and El Duque have fought in the clubhouse, same with Kent and Bonds and plenty of others
5)The wife thing makes him a complete POS if true, but doesn't effect baseball unless he does time. The loveable hall of famer Kirby Puckett suposedly hit his wife too.
6)The bottle thing and the ticket are the only things I would care about because they caused him to miss time. If he is available for Sarloos like I am hearing then he is still worth it IMO.

For the record I would probably hate the guy, but the same can be said of AJ Pierzynski, Carl Everett and Frank Thomas(to a lessor extent)...all are sporting rings

Wow, you've convinced me. Maybe the Bradley idea isn't that bad. He definitely has the most talent of the potential guys out there. :)

JeterRodriguezSheff
12-06-05, 06:11 PM
I honestly dont care about what type of person Bradley is. This is baseball not some kind of morality contest. As long as he plays hard and doesnt miss time its good with me.

Brent
12-06-05, 06:29 PM
I honestly dont care about what type of person Bradley is. This is baseball not some kind of morality contest. As long as he plays hard and doesnt miss time its good with me.

Thats what Im saying, hes the most talented and possibly close to the cheapest option out there. Id rather go into the season with him and bubba as a fallback than just bubba. If he goes ape ................ ................ing crazy we could always release him.

njommer
12-06-05, 06:43 PM
Thats what Im saying, hes the most talented and possibly close to the cheapest option out there. Id rather go into the season with him and bubba as a fallback than just bubba. If he goes ape ................ ................ing crazy we could always release him.

the Yanks should act quick before the cubbies grab him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051206&content_id=1277102&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

YankeeFan1
12-06-05, 06:51 PM
I may want the players on my team to be good citizens, but I want that from everyone. Unfortunately, real life doesn't work that way. Bradley is young and talented. If the Yankees can get him for a reasonable price they should, but teams are going after Bradley so he won't be cheap and the Yankees probably don't have the chips to trade for him anyway.

jbauer2485
12-07-05, 01:35 AM

Exactly. He is the best option available right now I think - Unless he commited murder then sign him up!

LawnDart
12-07-05, 02:47 AM
See T. Owens on the eagles. Player's like this are a cancer we should take a pass.

JeffWeaverFan
12-07-05, 02:56 AM
See T. Owens on the eagles. Player's like this are a cancer we should take a pass.
He's really not that bad. I think people think he's much worse than he is.