PDA

View Full Version : "Good Night, and Good Luck"

RhodyYanksFan
10-29-05, 10:47 AM
Has anyone seen this? It isn't doing very well at the box office, but I want to see it. Is it just because it's not a very entertaining choice during this halloween season, or is the movie crap? I like historical movies. I really enjoyed Thirteen Days and I hope this has that same feel to it.

RhodeyYankee2638
10-29-05, 11:34 AM
Im dying to see it, but haven't found a local theatre playing it :(

BronxBaumer
10-29-05, 11:16 PM
It was fantastic, everyone should go see it :)

LDG
10-30-05, 10:33 AM
A co-worker of mine saw it a couple of weeks ago and said it was one of the better movies he's seen in a long time. He loved the asthetic of black & white.

fredgmuggs
10-30-05, 12:01 PM
So far it's only been released in "selected theaters" despite glowing reviews. I'm guessing the studio is regarding this more as an art film that will appeal only to a limited audience which is really too bad. If you remember, "Shawshank Redemption" was released in much the same way and it never did find an audience until it started being shown on cable TV. Now "Shawshank" is considered a classic (and who hasn't seen it?). Hopefully lightning will strike twice because "Good Night, and Good Luck" is an excellent movie and it's worth the effort of finding a theater that's showing it.

RhodeyYankee2638
10-30-05, 01:10 PM
So far it's only been released in "selected theaters" despite glowing reviews. I'm guessing the studio is regarding this more as an art film that will appeal only to a limited audience which is really too bad. If you remember, "Shawshank Redemption" was released in much the same way and it never did find an audience until it started being shown on cable TV. Now "Shawshank" is considered a classic (and who hasn't seen it?). Hopefully lightning will strike twice because "Good Night, and Good Luck" is an excellent movie and it's worth the effort of finding a theater that's showing it.

They released it at this time also because its time to start nominating movies for the Academyt Awards. Thats why all these artsy flicks like GNGL and Capote are being released

WTrain44
10-30-05, 05:35 PM
I saw it and it was great! Go see it.

NYDCYankee
10-30-05, 07:48 PM
I certainly plan to see it.

Stupid Flanders
10-30-05, 08:53 PM
The commercials are really non-descriptive. It basically just says how great the movie is without telling you what it's about.

Help?

Stupid Flanders
10-30-05, 08:55 PM
The commercials are really non-descriptive. It basically just says how great the movie is without telling you what it's about.

Help?

JDPNYY
10-30-05, 09:21 PM

Help?

Help?

I'd like to know too.

I'd like to know too.

fredgmuggs
10-30-05, 09:44 PM

Help?

I'm going to be lazy and give you this link with pinned material...

http://www.clooneystudio.com/goodnightandgoodluck.html

"Good Night, And Good Luck." takes place during the early days of broadcast journalism in 1950's America. It chronicles the real-life conflict between television newsman Edward R. Murrow and Senator Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee. With a desire to report the facts and enlighten the public, Murrow, and his dedicated staff - headed by his producer Fred Friendly and Joe Wershba in the CBS newsroom - defy corporate and sponsorship pressures to examine the lies and scaremongering tactics perpetrated by McCarthy during his communist 'witch-hunts'. A very public feud develops when the Senator responds by accusing the anchor of being a communist. In this climate of fear and reprisal, the CBS crew carries on and their tenacity will prove historic and monumental

RhodyYanksFan
04-11-06, 09:58 PM
I finally saw this last night. Wow. I really really liked it. I wasn't around during that time but the film made me feel the fear that people were living through. There were some parallels to what is going on today - holding people without evidence - but I don't think it was made for that purpose.

David Strathairn nailed it! He was so believable as Murrow. I highly recommend this to everyone.

NelsonMuntz
04-12-06, 12:03 AM
I finally saw this last night. Wow. I really really liked it. I wasn't around during that time but the film made me feel the fear that people were living through. There were some parallels to what is going on today - holding people without evidence - but I don't think it was made for that purpose.

David Strathairn nailed it! He was so believable as Murrow. I highly recommend this to everyone.
Yeah I liked it too. I saw it on a plane. A lot of smoking in this movie.

yankeesAZ
04-12-06, 12:07 AM

Very good movie. I'll just leave it that.

NYDCYankee
04-12-06, 12:43 AM
I liked that two guys from 24 and T-Bag from Prison Break were in the movie.

JDPNYY
04-12-06, 12:56 AM
I'm tired.

Good Night everyone.

Oh... and good luck.

ojo
04-12-06, 11:08 AM
just bumped it to the top of my netflix queue.

wexy
04-12-06, 04:50 PM
Finally saw it last week, An excellant movie

DanB
11-20-07, 09:01 PM
Finally got around to seeing this last night. Great film - I thought Clooney overdid the artsy shots a bit (like the opening credits which seemed to last an eternity - ok, we get it, people talking and smoking). But without exiling this topic to PS (feel free to move this oh great ones with thread moving powers) - I personally thought that it was a thought-provoking piece that was definately intended to remind us that the media has a responsibility to help us question our leaders by reporting the news accurately. It made me wonder about why 24 hour news channels repeat hollywood stories over and over again and yet never scratch the surface of major global (or even domestic) issues - because of $pon$er$, american attention span, and the perceived need for escape I guess. I thought it was also a sharp stick in the eye for the current detainee situation - well played Clooney, probably could have been a bit more discreet though. All in all, I'm glad it did not go more than 93 minutes, it never did seem to really crescendo and climax (easy boys, not that climax). Kinda makes you wonder about the future of our society, media, and our collective desire to leave the ugly stuff for other people to worry about. All right, back to sitcom reruns.

Sam18
11-20-07, 09:02 PM
Man I've had this movie for two months now and still haven't seen it.

JeterForPresident
11-20-07, 09:06 PM

Same here, it was on sale at Best Buy, still haven't opened it.

DanB
11-20-07, 09:07 PM

Yeah, it took me about that long too. Pop it in it's only 93 minutes - not the next Casablanca or anything, but well worth it.

SalingerNY
11-20-07, 09:08 PM
Yeah, it took me about that long too. Pop it in it's only 93 minutes - not the next Casablanca or anything, but well worth it.

We saw it a long time ago, and yeah, it definitely makes you think.

penfold
11-20-07, 09:21 PM
Speaking of Casablanca, Clooney, and B&W movies, AVOID The Good German.

But back to the topic at hand, GNaGL was a very thought-provoking film. Dan, you're right that there was no real build-up to the story. It was more like a snapshot or expose than an overhwelmingly dramatic piece. I really liked it, though.

NYDCYankee
11-21-07, 12:51 AM
Ironic this got bumped, because Milo Radulovich passed away today at the age of 81.

NYYRules#1
11-21-07, 01:48 AM
I just saw this last night - terrific movie.

Slavenka
11-21-07, 02:25 AM
Speaking of Casablanca, Clooney, and B&W movies, AVOID The Good German.

But back to the topic at hand, GNaGL was a very thought-provoking film. Dan, you're right that there was no real build-up to the story. It was more like a snapshot or expose than an overhwelmingly dramatic piece. I really liked it, though.

I agree, and this is why I wouldn't recommend it. It's a good movie, it's worth a watch, but nothing really amazing.

4bronxbombers
11-21-07, 09:18 AM
I'm tired.

Good Night everyone.

Oh... and good luck.

:lol:

JDPNYY
11-21-07, 09:22 AM
:lol:

That might be a record. I tell a joke on April 12, 2006 and get a laugh for it on November 21, 2007.

I'll take it though!

4bronxbombers
11-21-07, 09:47 AM
That might be a record. I tell a joke on April 12, 2006 and get a laugh for it on November 21, 2007.

I'll take it though!

April 12, 2006? :-ponder-:

SalingerNY
11-21-07, 09:49 AM
April 12, 2006? :-ponder-:

Yeah, you did realize this thread started more than a year ago, right? I mean, it's been awhile since this movie came out.

4bronxbombers
11-21-07, 09:49 AM
Yeah, you did realize this thread started more than a year ago, right? I mean, it's been awhile since this movie came out.

Oh. grrr...

Damnit Dan B. :lol:

"The Straw"
11-21-07, 01:43 PM
It's as much of a true telling of the actual events as Gladiator was of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus :o Actors trying to rewrite history should remind us that Movies are entertainment and nothing more. Go to the Library if you want to learn about Edward R. Murrow not to this Movie.

penfold
11-21-07, 01:51 PM
It's as much of a true telling of the actual events as Gladiator was of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus :o Actors trying to rewrite history should remind us that Movies are entertainment and nothing more. Go to the Library if you want to learn about Edward R. Murrow not to this Movie.
The movie does serve a very good purpose, though: it gets people interested in the real story... otherwise, the next time they go to the library, they'll just look for a trashy novel.

SalingerNY
11-21-07, 01:58 PM
The movie does serve a very good purpose, though: it gets people interested in the real story... otherwise, the next time they go to the library, they'll just look for a trashy novel.

It also conveys a very important message: that the media has a responsibility not to cower before right-wing nutjobs.

"The Straw"
11-21-07, 02:19 PM
Save the truth! as long as the Filmmaker's Political agenda is set :enraged: Isn't it ironic that a man that stood for truth above all else has his own story mutilated and twisted into a Partisan whip.

penfold
11-21-07, 02:26 PM
Save the truth! as long as the Filmmaker's Political agenda is set :enraged: Isn't it ironic that a man that stood for truth above all else has his own story mutilated and twisted into a Partisan whip.
That's why he (you're referring to Clooney, I assume) made a movie instead of a documentary. There's no way to tell a story without presenting a point of view, political or otherwise. You might disagree with what he has to say and, on top of everything else, he might be an ass but he has the right to create whatever he wants. You don't have to pay $$$ to watch.

Same goes for Michael Moore, Charlton Heston, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, et al.

EDIT: I first described it as a "fictional movie." Clearly it isn't. But it is a movie. To me, that automatically means that certain facts have been changed for dramatic purposes. Real life usually makes for boring movies.

Dannman103
11-21-07, 02:44 PM

What was so badly "mutilated and twisted" about the story in that film? Murrow did stand up to McCarthy, did criticize him, etc. If anything, I felt the film was not overtly preachy, despite having a definite message.

SalingerNY
11-21-07, 06:00 PM
What was so badly "mutilated and twisted" about the story in that film? Murrow did stand up to McCarthy, did criticize him, etc. If anything, I felt the film was not overtly preachy, despite having a definite message.

I assume "The Straw" has some basis for his comments, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response. I'm sure Murrow's role in bringing McCarthy down was exaggerated in the film, but the footage of McCarthy's interview is the real stuff. Clooney didn't use an actor for McCarthy.

hardrain
11-21-07, 06:02 PM
one of my favorite movies -- everyone should see the thing

Tifoso
11-21-07, 06:06 PM
one of my favorite movies -- everyone should see the thing

The original or the remake? Would it be too scary for kids, Phil?

DanB
11-21-07, 06:08 PM
Oh. grrr...

Damnit Dan B. :lol:

My bad...I figured that someone started a thread on this at some point so I searched and found it. I guessed that if I started a new one someone would drag up the past on me so I did it to myself :)

4bronxbombers
11-21-07, 09:03 PM
My bad...I figured that someone started a thread on this at some point so I searched and found it. I guessed that if I started a new one someone would drag up the past on me so I did it to myself :)

Just kidding Dan. :lol: :lol:

BillBuckner
11-21-07, 10:41 PM
Some people here are a little slow. ;)

This was a very good movie BTW. It should be a wake up call for many of us.

Dannman103
11-21-07, 10:59 PM
I assume "The Straw" has some basis for his comments, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response. I'm sure Murrow's role in bringing McCarthy down was exaggerated in the film, but the footage of McCarthy's interview is the real stuff. Clooney didn't use an actor for McCarthy.

When the movie came out, I remember reading that some people in test audiences had said that they felt that the actor "playing" McCarthy was overacting, only to find out that it was actual footage.

SalingerNY
11-22-07, 09:39 AM
When the movie came out, I remember reading that some people in test audiences had said that they felt that the actor "playing" McCarthy was overacting, only to find out that it was actual footage.

I'm pretty sure the material as presented is about as historically accurate as you can expect from Hollywood these days.

What the film did neglect to cover was that for some time before this, Murrow was going along with the gang of folks trying to root out any and all communists in the country. There were a lot of people in that gang, McCarthy just came to symbolize the whole lot and its more extreme elements.

Regardless, Murrow clearly took a principled stand against McCarthy at a time when nobody else really was. I think a lot of people who don't like the film hold that opinion because they don't like Clooney and how he tried to also make the film a statement about our current political/media climate.