PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter to the Yankees?

Pages : [1] 2 3

yankeezombie
10-12-05, 05:18 PM
Sorry, no links because it was radio. I have heard on the radio twice in the past 10 days by 2 different people that the Twins and Yankees were talking a deal that would send Hunter to NY for Robinson Cano and maybe a minor leaguer.
Today there was a small blurb in the paper stating now that NY's season was over, they were increasing their efforts to land Hunter.
Whether there is any validty to any of this, it's anyone's guess. But I have heard or seen something it 3 times.

Your thoughts.

Bernie Inferno
10-12-05, 05:20 PM
Just say No to trading Cano.

whalers
10-12-05, 05:24 PM

My sentiments exactly.

PoughVirginiaYankee
I like Hunter...a lot.
But trading Cano really would be painful for me. In agreement with Bernie Inferno.

tdel23
we are going to need a hot stove forum soon.

BeantownYankee
Sorry, no links because it was radio. I have heard on the radio twice in the past 10 days by 2 different people that the Twins and Yankees were talking a deal that would send Hunter to NY for Robinson Cano and maybe a minor leaguer.
Today there was a small blurb in the paper stating now that NY's season was over, they were increasing their efforts to land Hunter.
Whether there is any validty to any of this, it's anyone's guess. But I have heard or seen something it 3 times.

Your thoughts.

Very Doubtful. You probally heard it on WEEI during fan call in's.;)

RIyankee
10-12-05, 05:25 PM
Pass.

LawnDart
10-12-05, 05:26 PM
Cano's name will come up in all trade discussion's this offseason. He is our most valuable trading chip, but I wouldnt do it for Tori Hunter. He probably will be traded for something, because of the weak crop of FA's this year, and we all know how George, and the Tampa faction like to tinker with this roster.

MNbomberfan12
10-12-05, 05:27 PM
If we can find another way to get Hunter, we need to jump on it. But Cano is a great young talent, we should keep him. But Hunter would look great in pinstripes.

PittsburghYankeeFan
10-12-05, 05:28 PM
Cano's name will come up in all trade discussion's this offseason. He is our most valuable trading chip, but I wouldnt do it for Tori Hunter. He probably will be traded for something, because of the weak crop of FA's this year, and we all know how George, and the Tampa faction like to tinker with this roster.

Man, that would be so stupid. But...if stupid, likely that Tampa will do it

CptCrunch
Cano thanks.

BronxByTheBay
Bullsh*t.

We may be trying for Hunter, but the Yankees aren't trading Robinson Cano. Not unless the Twins want to throw Santana into the deal.

LawnDart
10-12-05, 05:29 PM
Bullsh*t.

We may be trying for Hunter, but the Yankees aren't trading Robinson Cano. Not unless the Twins want to throw Santana into the deal.

Now, I would do, Cano, and Wang for Hunter, and Santana, though it would never happen.

yanksphan
10-12-05, 05:30 PM
Bullsh*t.

and Nathan

yankeezombie
10-12-05, 05:30 PM
Very Doubtful. You probally heard it on WEEI during fan call in's.;)

No, this was Minnesota radio and these were not call in shows.
Personally, I agree, don't trade Robby.
Although Hunter is great defensely but get 2 strikes on him and throw one eye level, he'll go after it every time. That pitch with him reminds me of Sori and that outside breaking ball.

yankswn23
10-12-05, 05:34 PM
Sounds Realistic, Trade Cano for Hunter, sign Soriano back as a free agent. Fills two holes, adds speed and power.

Lineup

Jeter SS
Arod 3B
Soriano 2B
Sheff RF/DH
Matsui LF
Giambi 1B
Hunter CF
Posoda C

BronxByTheBay
10-12-05, 05:35 PM
and Nathan

Now that's just silly. SILLY.

Now, I would do, Cano, and Wang for Hunter, and Santana, though it would never happen.

Y'think? ;)

bostonyankeefan
I like Cano, but Hunter is a proven commodity, and we are desparate for a Center Fielder. Cano is a very casual fielder, and if he has that attitude as a rookie, what will he be like after a few years? He might turn out to be a perennial all-star; I don't know, but if we have a chance to get Hunter for him, I would go for it.

Evil Empire
Stupid move.

FanInExile
10-12-05, 05:36 PM
I think with Torii Hunter you also have to think how much the Yanks will look at someone like Vernon Wells. If anyone read the Post today, it looks like Shef is going to be part of these plans.

Rich
Let's just waive Cano. It would be more honorable.

bostonyankeefan
Sounds Realistic, Trade Cano for Hunter, sign Soriano back as a free agent. Fills two holes, adds speed and power.

Lineup

Jeter SS
Arod 3B
Soriano 2B
Sheff RF/DH
Matsui LF
Giambi 1B
Hunter CF
Posoda C

that is a killer lineup; a very nice mix of speed and power

nnysiny
10-12-05, 05:37 PM
right now Paul Heyman is laughing his ass off

Rich
10-12-05, 05:38 PM
I like Cano, but Hunter is a proven commodity, and we are desparate for a Center Fielder. Cano is a very casual fielder, and if he has that attitude as a rookie, what will he be like after a few years? He might turn out to be a perennial all-star; I don't know, but if we have a chance to get Hunter for him, I would go for it.

Hunter is a proven mediocre commodity. There's a difference.

A casual fielder? Did you ever see Rickey Henderson play the OF?

NelsonMuntz
I can believe that the Yankees and Twins are talking about Hunter but there is no way in hell the Yankees are trading Cano. That's just crazy talk.

tatanka9
If Soriano or Furcal were added, then I'd trade Cano and one of our pitchers (Proctor/?) for Hunter and JC Romero (lhrp) both of whom want out of Minnesota.

Rich
right now Paul Heyman is laughing his ass off

Who is Paul Heyman?

wileedog
10-12-05, 05:39 PM
I think with Torii Hunter you also have to think how much the Yanks will look at someone like Vernon Wells. If anyone read the Post today, it looks like Shef is going to be part of these plans.

The Post was just throwing sh*t at the wall.

The Yanks don't even know who the GM is going to be in 3 weeks, much less whose in what plans.

Rich
10-12-05, 05:39 PM
that is a killer lineup; a very nice mix of speed and power

By killer, do you mean a lineup that would kill the Yankees?

AMYanks
10-12-05, 05:40 PM
If Oppenheimer takes over, Cano will not likely be with the team next year. If that means giving him up for an average player in Hunter, then so be it.

Yankee Bulldawg
10-12-05, 05:41 PM
i would love to have Torii Hunter roaming the outfield for the Yankees, but NOT if it means giving up Robinson Cano

bostonyankeefan
Hunter is a proven mediocre commodity. There's a difference.

A casual fielder? Did you ever see Rickey Henderson play the OF?

I think that an outfielder can afford to be a little more casual than an infielder who must make quick decisions and quick throws. Outfield by its nature is a more casual position.

Rich
If Oppenheimer takes over, Cano will not likely be with the team next year. If that means giving him up for an average player in Hunter, then so be it.

The Tampa people are the biggest proponents of promoting from within.

Sam18
10-12-05, 05:42 PM
This is bad. BAD.

Rich
I think that an outfielder can afford to be a little more casual than an infielder who must make quick decisions and quick throws. Outfield by its nature is a more casual position.

Because OF misplays can cause multiple base errors, unlike IF misplays that cause single base errors?

lem

Oppenheimer has more respect for youth than the average Tampian.

ICEBERG18
I can believe that the Yankees and Twins are talking about Hunter but there is no way in hell the Yankees are trading Cano. That's just crazy talk.

They're not.....

My other go-for-the-gusto trade proposal may be even less likely to happen since Cashman, who's still here at last head count, **has declared promising second baseman Robinson Cano off-limits.** In any case, I'd propose trading Cano for allegedly available Twins centerfielder Torii Hunter.

While Cano's a budding virtuoso at the plate, he's a certifiable space cadet in the field. If the Yankees could grab Hunter, they could try replacing Cano with a better defender at second, say Braves free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, who batted .322 after the All-Star break and could switch positions.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spjon1012,0,4662476.column?coll=ny-top-headlines

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 05:43 PM
By killer, do you mean a lineup that would kill the Yankees?

The only downside that I see to that lineup is a few guys who strikeout a lot. It would be an improvement over this year's lineup, considered by many to be one of the strongest in the league.

yanksphan
10-12-05, 05:43 PM
Because OF misplays can cause multiple base errors, unlike IF misplays that cause single base errors?

IF errors typically SHOULD have been sure outs though.

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 05:44 PM
Because OF misplays can cause multiple base errors, unlike IF misplays that cause single base errors? No, because outfielders generally have more time to make decisions. Are you really comfortable with Cano's approach at 2nd base?

Yankee Bulldawg
10-12-05, 05:45 PM
Furcal is available and has a gun for an arm, might be worth looking into

wileedog
10-12-05, 05:46 PM
No, because outfielders generally have more time to make decisions. Are you really comfortable with Cano's approach at 2nd base?

After Soriano, absolutely.

The kids' 22, he'll mature.

lem
Furcal is available and has a gun for an arm, might be worth looking into

I think he's still on probation for his DUI last year. Kid's got issues.

Rich
The only downside that I see to that lineup is a few guys who strikeout a lot. It would be an improvement over this year's lineup, considered by many to be one of the strongest in the league.

It is more important for OFers to be big time offensive producers than IFers. Yet Cano is a better offensive player than Hunter right now, and will be a much better offensive player in the near future.

You don't throw a player like him away because you think he is casual in the field, when he turns the DP with amazing speed and quickness, and makes the tag play like few other 2Bman.

ICEBERG18
10-12-05, 05:47 PM
I have heard on the radio twice in the past 10 days by 2 different people that the Twins and Yankees were talking a deal that would send Hunter to NY for Robinson Cano and maybe a minor leaguer.

Not true.....

yanksphan
After Soriano, absolutely.

The kids' 22, he'll mature.

Amazing how people forget just how bad Sori was/is at 2B.

Rich
No, because outfielders generally have more time to make decisions. Are you really comfortable with Cano's approach at 2nd base?

Given that he is 22 and an a budding offensive star, absolutely.

Rich
10-12-05, 05:48 PM
IF errors typically SHOULD have been sure outs though.

He has all the tools to be a top flight defensive 2Bman.

yanksphan
10-12-05, 05:49 PM
He has all the tools to be a top flight defensive 2Bman.

No doubt.

I was just replying to your comment about the value of an IF misplay vs an OF misplay.

apolansk
10-12-05, 05:50 PM
Hunter's range just wasn't good anymore, and that was before his latest injury. If you're trading Cano, which I'm highly against, we shouldn't be getting someone whos older has a lower batting average, a marginally better OBP, basically equal slugging, and is by all fielding statistics an average fielder at best, BEFORE HE HURT HIS ANKLE

LawnDart
10-12-05, 05:50 PM
It's amazing how many people forget this kid is only 22 years old. He has shown more than your average 22 year old rookie. This kids game will only continue to improve with experience.

Sierra Mist
10-12-05, 05:51 PM

I agree

NelsonMuntz
10-12-05, 05:51 PM
Who is Paul Heyman?
The former owner of the now defunct ECW, but I don't know why he would find this trade funny.

Rich
10-12-05, 05:52 PM
No doubt.

I was just replying to your comment about the value of an IF misplay vs an OF misplay.

I guess that's the flip side of the coin.

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 05:54 PM
It is more important for OFers to be big time offensive producers than IFers. Yet Cano is a better offensive player than Hunter right now, and will be a much better offensive player in the near future.

You don't throw a player like him away because you think he is casual in the field, when he turns the DP with amazing speed and quickness, and makes the tag play like few other 2Bman.

Hunter had an off year due to the injury, but his career numbers are pretty strong. From 2001-2004, he has averaged about 25HR and 95 RBI. Cano might end up being a better offensive player, but I am not sure that he is better than Hunter right now.

I guess that I don't view Cano for Hunter as throwing away Cano.

Jeff G
10-12-05, 05:55 PM
The former owner of the now defunct ECW, but I don't know why he would find this trade funny.

The Yankees are trading Cano for Sabu. They would have asked for the Sandman, but they already have one.

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 05:56 PM
The Yankees are trading Cano for Sabu. They would have asked for the Sandman, but they already have one.

Cano for Hulk Hogan? (dating myself here)

Dr. Gonzo
10-12-05, 05:58 PM
trade wang before cano,

but I doubt they want wang on that rug, with him being a grounball pitcher

wileedog
Hunter had an off year due to the injury, but his career numbers are pretty strong. From 2001-2004, he has averaged about 25HR and 95 RBI. Cano might end up being a better offensive player, but I am not sure that he is better than Hunter right now.

I guess that I don't view Cano for Hunter as throwing away Cano.

Hunters only signed through next year with an option for 2007.

Why throw away a starting 2B for the next 10 years for a CFer for 2?

lem
He's been consistently average at the plate over his entire career and his defensive abilities are overrated, not to mention he's owed $16 million over the next two seasons. Anyone you could trade for him would be overpaying.

lem
10-12-05, 05:59 PM
For those of you wondering just how average he has been, his career adjusted OPS+ is 100.

His UZR from 2000-2003 was 5 per 162 games.

RhodeyYankee2638
10-12-05, 06:02 PM
Cano for Hunter? Thats a tough one for me. I think Cano will be a very good hitter (not patient though). Im not sure about his defense. Everyone said Soriano was going to get better and not to worry. Well, 100 errors later, he isnt. I think Torri maybe more valuaable to this team

wileedog
10-12-05, 06:02 PM
For those of you wondering just how average he has been, his career adjusted OPS+ is 100.

Which is one of the reasons why the Twins are anxious to dump his $16M in salary.

I'd take him for dirt cheap off their hands just as a bridge untill some of the youngsters are ready, but no way should we be offering Cano or Wang or any other prospect of consequence.

Sam2448
10-12-05, 06:03 PM
I don't know if Cano is better than Hunter right now. But as people have said, Cano is just 22, and while Hunter is an outstanding fielder, he is a mediocre hitter. Cano projects better for the future. Torre's said he can hit for average like Rod Carew and hit 30 homers a year. I doubt he'll hit for average quite as well as Carew, but I could see him being an annual .300+ hitter. He's got great opposite field power, and as he matures, the homeruns will come.

In the field, he's made a few errors. But there is no doubting his fielding tools. He has very good range and a fantastic arm, just needs to work on staying focused.

I hope that the Yankees would never seriously consider this trade. I can't imagine how bad they would have been if Tony Womack had to play everyday. Cano should be virtually untouchable.

Rich
10-12-05, 06:04 PM
I would package Sheff for a CFer.

bostonyankeefan
OK-you guys win. I stand persuaded that Cano for Hunter would be a bad deal. I consider myself a reformed critic of Robinson Cano. :)

wileedog
Cano for Hunter? Thats a tough one for me. I think Cano will be a very good hitter (not patient though). Im not sure about his defense. Everyone said Soriano was going to get better and not to worry. Well, 100 errors later, he isnt. I think Torri maybe more valuaable to this team

Soriano was/is not even in Cano's league. His range was close, but his hands were terrible, his pivot about the slowest in the majors, and Sori had just as many mental lapses after 3 years that he did in his first.

Cano already is a much, much better 2Bmen than Sori will ever be.

BronxByTheBay
I can't believe we're about to have a 400 page thread dedicated to arguing Torii Hunter vs. Robinson Cano.

Welcome to the off-season, folks!

SoCal Pinstriper

His UZR from 2000-2003 was 5 per 162 games.But he looks great on BBTN webjems. :uhh:

NelsonMuntz
10-12-05, 06:06 PM

Thank you. Hunter is an average - slightly above average player. And I could live with that in CF compared to what we have had out there the last 2 years, but not at the expense of Cano.

keg411
10-12-05, 06:07 PM
That would be an atrocious move. I turned on the radio to 1050 in my car when I got out of work (Don LaGreca, I think, was doing Kay's show) and the Heyman article came up immediately... "Yankee fans would love these moves...". I threw up in my mouth a little and then switched over to FAN (As bad as Mike and the Angry Puppy are, I couldn't stand to listen to the results of that atrocious article).

Which is why I don't want Hunter. Twins want a young, cheap, good, middle infielder and we have one... so that's exactly who they'd ask for.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 06:07 PM
I can't believe we're about to have a 400 page thread dedicated to arguing Torii Hunter vs. Robinson Cano.

:lol:

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 06:08 PM

My head says yes, but my heart says no. Sheff is so much fun to watch at the plate, and despite his poor effort in the ALDS, he performs well in the clutch. He was one of the league leaders in BA w/RISP this year.

If we could get a good defensive CF with some pop in exchange for Sheff, I would reluctantly do the deal.

yanks710
10-12-05, 06:09 PM
Canooooo way.

NelsonMuntz
10-12-05, 06:10 PM
My head says yes, but my heart says no. Sheff is so much fun to watch at the plate, and despite his poor effort in the ALDS, he performs well in the clutch. He was one of the league leaders in BA w/RISP this year.
He's not only fun to watch, he's also the best hitter on this team. His offensive production would be sorely missed.

Sam2448
10-12-05, 06:12 PM

If we could get a good defensive CF with some pop in exchange for Sheff, I would reluctantly do the deal.

I don't know what to do about Sheff. A couple weeks ago, I'd say you couldn't possibly trade him, he's been too good in the clutch, and all that. But I lost count of how many pop-ups he hit in the ALDS with runner's on base. He wasn't the only one who sucked though.

I'd probably do Sheff for Vernon Wells, but reluctantly, and I don't think Sheff fits in with Toronto's plans.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 06:13 PM
I'd rather us get a free agent OF and work with that.

yanks710
10-12-05, 06:14 PM
I'd rather us get a free agent OF and work with that.

I'd rather Melky :D

Mark19
10-12-05, 06:17 PM
I think the Twins will seriously consider trading Hunter this offseason. His value comes from his defense, his speed and his power. He is coming off a fractured ankle and he is turning 31 next July. Hunter is being paid $8 million next season and the Twins already have Shannon Stewart, Lew Ford and Jason Kubel wrapped up for the next few years.
Torii does well in big pressure situations with no statistical decline in production when men are on base.

I think that he could give the Yankees .270-25-90-20 SBs + excellent defense if we were to make him a 6 or 7 hitter.

The question now is how much Hunter would cost us. The Twins desperately need offensive help for the short-term. We really don't have much to offer. Maybe the Twins will except a package of $6 million, Sean Henn, Tony Womack and Bronson Sardinha/Kevin Thompson. There is also a possibility that maybe we can take on Shannon Stewart's contract too and use him as a DH and part-time rightfielder.

Zac
10-12-05, 06:18 PM
Trading away Cano? NO! no! Never. I like him.

yanks710
10-12-05, 06:18 PM
The question now is how much Hunter would cost us. The Twins desperately need offensive help for the short-term. We really don't have much to offer. Maybe the Twins will except a package of $6 million, Sean Henn, Tony Womack and Bronson Sardinha/Kevin Thompson. There is also a possibility that maybe we can take on Shannon Stewart's contract too and use him as a DH and part-time rightfielder.

That'd be a bargain. I think it will be more on the line of Duncan or Hughes

YankeePride1967
10-12-05, 06:19 PM

I agree, but with this year's FA market and no RJ on the block, this is what we likely have to look forward to.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 06:20 PM
Cano is almost untradeable. I'd trade him only for Santana and maybe for Mauer. That's it.

yanks710
10-12-05, 06:20 PM
I'd probably do Sheff for Vernon Wells, but reluctantly, and I don't think Sheff fits in with Toronto's plans.

Nooo I don't think so. They still have Rios who we hear every game from Kaat that he has sooo much potential, so they won't give up on him yet. Plus Wells is the key to that offense, they won't trade him for Sheff who is older and has one year left on the contract

bostonyankeefan
10-12-05, 06:21 PM
I agree, but with this year's FA market and no RJ on the block, this is what we likely have to look forward to.

The discussions are not likely to be as exciting as they were last year. The chase for BJ Ryan should be interesting.

BronxByTheBay
10-12-05, 06:22 PM

Hey, I have no problem acquring Hunter. Not for Robinson Cano, of course.

I was just making fun of the fact that we're going to take this nugget of a rumor and turning it into a raging debate.

AlongCameAPrincess
Trading Cano?? Big NO NO.

Kluivert4Ever
Lets see.
Giles and Cano
or
Just Torii Hunter.

Tough choice.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 06:23 PM

If we pay half of Sheffs salary that might work out.
Then we could sign Giles to replace him in RF.

Mark19
10-12-05, 06:24 PM
Lets see.
Giles and Cano
or
Just Torii Hunter.

Tough choice.

I don't think it is that simple. Obviously Cano is off limits but we do need a centerfielder. Giles-Matsui-Sheffield versus Matsui-Hunter-Sheffield --- it all depends on what the Twins would ask for.

Kluivert4Ever
For the record, I rather keep Sheff as the DH and simply sign Giles and Jones for the outfield.

Babe Rules
I don't know what to do about Sheff. A couple weeks ago, I'd say you couldn't possibly trade him, he's been too good in the clutch, and all that. But I lost count of how many pop-ups he hit in the ALDS with runner's on base. He wasn't the only one who sucked though.

Sheff for Wells would be a great deal for us, but it's not going to happen.

Jglaubman
10-12-05, 06:25 PM
Anything that has the words, "trading Cano" in it, is a bad idea.

ZYanksRule
10-12-05, 06:25 PM
We better not be trading Cano. He is not someone I want to give up.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 06:29 PM
Cano proved he's special. He always stepped up when we needed most.

BroadwayBomber55
10-12-05, 06:29 PM
I would love to have Torii Hunter in pinstripes, but with the words "for Robinson Cano" in the package, no thanks.

yanks710
10-12-05, 06:32 PM
For the record, I rather keep Sheff as the DH and simply sign Giles and Jones for the outfield.

Well, we'll see what the General has to say about that

njdhockey
10-12-05, 06:44 PM
Yankees should definately keep Cano. First off, you can build around a great infield of A-rod, Jeter, Cano, and use Giambi till Duncan is ready. Plus we have tons of minor league OFers with potential. I would rather be patient, it would be well worth it in the end. I am sure we can sign a decent free agent OFer to fill the gap until one of our minor leaguers is ready.

Theee Yanks win
10-12-05, 07:00 PM
Cano proved he's special. He always stepped up when we needed most.

exacly. And he's New York breed and proven. Kind of the 2nd coming of Derek Jeter. he knows what the towns about, he proved he can handle the pressure pretty well, and he'll only get better with time.

27IsNext
10-12-05, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't mind trading Sheffield in a package for Cameron, signing Giles and Molina, making Posada the DH. (Remember, in order for the 2007 option to kick in, he needs ABs at the catcher position. This would solve that problem.)

rightfielder21
10-12-05, 07:05 PM
It would be a bad move...

27IsNext
10-12-05, 07:08 PM
It would be a bad move...

George's press secretary issues a statement: "Rightfielder21, while we are all delighted at Cano's performance this year, George needs 'Proven Veteran' in CF to replace the aura left after Bernie retires. DiMaggio-Mantle-Williams...Hunter. It's got a nice ring to it, it MUST be the right move."

TheTinoMobile
10-12-05, 07:13 PM
Is Soriano a FA?... if so.. get him and MAKE HIS ASS LEARN TO PLAY CF

Davios
10-12-05, 07:14 PM
Forget all this talk about Hunter, if the Yankees are going to throw their young into the fire the least they can do is go after Vernon Wells who has a legitimate glove in center and is light years ahead of Hunter offensively.

That and the fact that at the end of this season Hunter punched Justin Morneau in the mouth and had a fight broken up between Romero because he claimed J.C. was a racist.

DJ27
10-12-05, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't mind trading Sheffield in a package for Cameron, signing Giles and Molina, making Posada the DH. (Remember, in order for the 2007 option to kick in, he needs ABs at the catcher position. This would solve that problem.)

Or just deal Posada and get something in return rather than letting him walk after the season. I think we could get something for him. The only question would be how it affects the clubhouse. That usually is not a concern.

JDPNYY
10-12-05, 07:20 PM
This is gonna be some winter around here if everytime a writer or talk show host makes a stupid speculative comment there is a 3 page Thread that blossoms to 3 pages in 2 hours.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 07:22 PM
Is Soriano a FA?... if so.. get him and MAKE HIS ASS LEARN TO PLAY CF

Nope. He's still arbitration eligible and he'll only be a FA after next season.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 07:25 PM

It could be a good option, although I'd rather sign Ramon Hernandez. Btw, do you know if it's 330 AB or 330 PA as a catcher to vest his option?

SubwayFanatic
10-12-05, 07:25 PM
Any chance the A's decline Jay Payton's option?

If so, he is not a bad player for the short-term.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 07:27 PM
Any chance the A's decline Jay Payton's option?

If so, he is not a bad player for the short-term.

How much is this option?

Bernie Inferno
10-12-05, 07:30 PM
Btw, do you know if it's 330 AB or 330 PA as a catcher to vest his option?

If he catches 330 games between 2004 and 2006, his 2007 option becomes guaranteed

MassNYYfan
10-12-05, 07:31 PM
How much is this option?

$4m, $0.5m buyout. Don't see it happening.

IncredibleByNature
10-12-05, 08:06 PM

Ditto.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:07 PM
No Cano No Wang

Duncan for Hunter? I say yes. Duncan has nowhere to play

ppa79
10-12-05, 08:08 PM
No Cano No Wang

Duncan is gonna play first.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:09 PM
Forget all this talk about Hunter, if the Yankees are going to throw their young into the fire the least they can do is go after Vernon Wells who has a legitimate glove in center and is light years ahead of Hunter offensively.

That and the fact that at the end of this season Hunter punched Justin Morneau in the mouth and had a fight broken up between Romero because he claimed J.C. was a racist.

agree about Wells, but Toronto will never give him up

clubhouse problems in Minny? mmmmmmmhmmm i likey

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:12 PM

When? In 3 years?? Have they even switched him 1st in the minors? I know first is an easy position to learn, but it also takes his value way down.

25-30 hrs, .380+ ob% = TOP TIER #S FOR A THIRD BASEMAN, GOOD NOT SPECTACULAR FOR A FIRST BASEMAN

ppa79
10-12-05, 08:15 PM
When? In 3 years?? Have they even switched him 1st in the minors? I know first is an easy position to learn, but it also takes his value way down.

25-30 hrs, .380+ ob% = TOP TIER #S FOR A THIRD BASEMAN, GOOD NOT SPECTACULAR FOR A FIRST BASEMAN

We don't need a Spectacular player at every position. We need balance. I would rather spend the money at a place we can't fill from the minors. And if Duncan did put up those numbers, he would be #1 in the AL in OBP and # 4 in HR for first baseman this year.

Davios
10-12-05, 08:22 PM
Perhaps those numbers weren't great for first basemen a few years back, btu right now those are very impressive numbers at first. Look around the league and tell me who aside from Paul Konerko, Albert Pujols, Derek Lee, and Carlos Delgado are doing better.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:22 PM
We don't need a Spectacular player at every position. We need balance. I would rather spend the money at a place we can't fill from the minors. And if Duncan did put up those numbers, he would be #1 in the AL in OBP and # 4 in HR for first baseman this year.

agreed, we dont need a spectacular player at every position. What money are you talking about? Hunters measley 8 mil a year? Thats bargain basement pricing for this team. Finally, Duncan would be behind Giambi with that OBP and #4 in homers IF he hits 30 and gets on base at 38% clip in the big leagues. Thats not a given. What is a given is that Torri Hunter is a top 3 defensive center fielder and thats a lot harder to find than a power hitting firstbaseman.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:25 PM
Perhaps those numbers weren't great for first basemen a few years back, btu right now those are very impressive numbers at first. Look around the league and tell me who aside from Paul Konerko, Albert Pujols, Derek Lee, and Carlos Delgado are doing better.

a) Giambi has returned to his MVP form and has atleast 2 more BIG years left in him.

b) he hasnt put up those numbers yet, those are best case scenarios assuming he plays to his full potential at the major league level.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:26 PM
You guys would turn them down right now if they offered Duncan for Hunter straigtup? come on.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 08:29 PM
$4m, $0.5m buyout. Don't see it happening.

Thanks for the info.

Davios
10-12-05, 08:30 PM
You guys would turn them down right now if they offered Duncan for Hunter straigtup? come on.

Considering what Eric has been doing since the start of the Arizona Fall league, I would absolutely turn them down. I believe this is Eric's coming out, and I'm simply not ready to let him get away after what we as fans have invested in him. I feel that if anyone is going to lead the Yankees of the future once Jeter enters his twilight, it should be Eric Duncan.

4degrees
10-12-05, 08:31 PM
Hunter is due $10.75M in 2006 (his contract was backloaded), so I think Minnesota would want to move him.

The only way I would move Cano is if I was guaranteed to get someone like Castillo to play second. This is intriguing - Marlins need more pitching with Burnett leaving, give them Wright, $$$, and Henn for Castillo. 0.380OBP with speed. Move Castillo to lead-off and move jeter back to his natural hitting position, #2.

Babe Rules
10-12-05, 08:32 PM
No Cano No Wang

Duncan could also play corner OF.

ppa79
10-12-05, 08:34 PM

I would rather play him at first and get a natural outfielder to improve our defense.

AJW
10-12-05, 08:36 PM
The Post was just throwing sh*t at the wall.

The Yanks don't even know who the GM is going to be in 3 weeks, much less whose in what plans.

Agreed. Anyone that believes that comes out of that rag year and year out is fooling themselves.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:36 PM
Hunter is due $10.75M in 2006 (his contract was backloaded), so I think Minnesota would want to move him.

The only way I would move Cano is if I was guaranteed to get someone like Castillo to play second. This is intriguing - Marlins need more pitching with Burnett leaving, give them Wright, $$$, and Henn for Castillo. 0.380OBP with speed. Move Castillo to lead-off and move jeter back to his natural hitting position, #2.

mmm I like it. Castillo can be the new Knoblauch. :2thumbs: But Id rather keep Cano.

njdhockey
10-12-05, 08:37 PM
I would turn them down in a heartbeat. Duncan played decent at AA despite being one of the youngest players. He has been tearing up the Arizona Fall League and has started to play 1B there. He will be our 1B in a couple of years, and until that time Giambi will be playing 1B and thats not a bad stop gap lol!

AJW
10-12-05, 08:37 PM

Agreed but we do need a good defensive CF.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:39 PM

corner outfielders are a dime a dozen. Again if we didnt have ARod at 3rd I wouldnt even consider trading a guy with Duncans potential. But power hitting 1st baseman and corner outfielders are WAAAAAAY easier to find in free agency, trade, or minors. 3rd baseman who hit are rare commodities, as are great gold glove center fielders with great arms, good speed and good pop in their bats.

hammer
10-12-05, 08:39 PM

Huh? If you wouldn't trade Cano for Hunter, you should NOT trade Duncan for him. Duncan is going to be a more lethal offensive player than Cano. He has already shown a better approach at the plate, already has more power and WILL fill a need for this team within the next 2 years (we'll need OF & 1B help...he's already getting time at 1B in the AFL). If Duncan repeats AA next year, his numbers will dwarf Cano's at the same level/same age.

Anyway, I'm against trading Cano for Hunter too. It's also quite concievable that Hunter loses a step or two in the OF after the season ending ankle injury he suffered this year as well. We do NOT need anymore big splashes...especially this offseason where the market leaves a lot to be desired.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:41 PM

thank you. We must capitalize on the window of oppurtunity before Mo retires. Hunter is in his prime right now and we should pounce on the chance to get him if it means keeping Cano & Wang.

ppa79
10-12-05, 08:43 PM

Again, this is why I am pissed at the Yankee organization. For the past 5 years, they did nothing to address this issue and now we are stuck. Getting anything decent is gonna cost us an arm and a leg. I'm tired of trading our prospects and seeing young studs of other teams shut us down. :mad:

ring403
10-12-05, 08:44 PM
The Yankees have not yet had their annual postseason organizational meeting, where they formulate the plans for the upcoming season. They haven't even settled the GM question. This makes it highly unlikely that there have already been trade discussions for Hunter or any other player. It's possible that this was a trade scenario that was discussed at some point before this season's trade deadline.

George Steinbrenner
10-12-05, 08:44 PM
Huh? If you wouldn't trade Cano for Hunter, you should NOT trade Duncan for him. Duncan is going to be a more lethal offensive player than Cano. He has already shown a better approach at the plate, already has more power and WILL fill a need for this team within the next 2 years (we'll need OF & 1B help...he's already getting time at 1B in the AFL). If Duncan repeats AA next year, his numbers will dwarf Cano's at the same level/same age.

Anyway, I'm against trading Cano for Hunter too. It's also quite concievable that Hunter loses a step or two in the OF after the season ending ankle injury he suffered this year as well. We do NOT need anymore big splashes...especially this offseason where the market leaves a lot to be desired.

you make some good points. Im not advocating a panic move to "make a splash", I am pointing out that gold glove centerfielders who can be 20-20 guys are much harder to find than a 1b or outfielder who can hit ya 30+ homers.

Hunters ankle injury is not serious

hammer
10-12-05, 08:49 PM

True. However, a guy due $16m, coming off a season ending ankle injury, who routinely strikes out 100+ times and just posted a career high OBP of .337 (in only 98 games) is not the right answer for this team right now, especially at the additional cost of a young blue chipper.

ChinMusic
10-12-05, 08:51 PM
It could be a good option, although I'd rather sign Ramon Hernandez. Btw, do you know if it's 330 AB or 330 PA as a catcher to vest his option?

Neither. It is 330 games total as CATCHER between 2004-6, which means if he catches about 50 games this year, his 12 million 07 salary vests.

hammer
10-12-05, 08:52 PM
I am pointing out that gold glove centerfielders who can be 20-20 guys are much harder to find than a 1b or outfielder who can hit ya 30+ homers.

Point well taken

ChinMusic
10-12-05, 08:56 PM
Or just deal Posada and get something in return rather than letting him walk after the season. I think we could get something for him. The only question would be how it affects the clubhouse. That usually is not a concern.

I dont think you can deal him. He is owed 29.5 million for the last 2 years of his contract. Considering that Varitek is probably the best catcher around, and he just signed for 11 million per, you probably would have to send 13 million with Posada to have the other team take him.

JeffWeaverFan
10-12-05, 09:20 PM
My thoughts? I'd kill somebody if we traded Cano. Honestly, I'd have trouble rooting for this team if, after going so long without developing a prospect, we trade him after a ROY caliber season.

AMYanks
10-12-05, 09:51 PM
Neither. It is 330 games total as CATCHER between 2004-6, which means if he catches about 50 games this year, his 12 million 07 salary vests.

Luckily, I don't see it happening. I think (or hope, atleast) he'll be playing elsewhere next year.

absinNY
10-12-05, 10:31 PM

Why would you trade Cano and then pick up Soriano? They are virtually the same player except for the salaries. Maybe they would do Crosby for Hunter with some cash thrown in.

rightfielder21
10-12-05, 10:33 PM
Maybe they would do Crosby for Hunter with some cash thrown in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks...

apolansk
10-12-05, 10:40 PM
Hunter isn't as good as highlights make him seem. It's that simple. He's overrated and overpaid. So in other words, he could fit right in. For the Yankees sake, let's hope we don't trade for him.

-tz
10-12-05, 10:45 PM
Cano is the only non-pitcher on the team under THIRTY. (If you don't count Bubba, who's 29.) And I was looking forward to watching him grow and mature over the next few years. I don't want him traded away for anyone. Can't they trade some of the old geezers instead?

silverdsl
10-12-05, 10:49 PM
The Yankees have not yet had their annual postseason organizational meeting, where they formulate the plans for the upcoming season. They haven't even settled the GM question. This makes it highly unlikely that there have already been trade discussions for Hunter or any other player. It's possible that this was a trade scenario that was discussed at some point before this season's trade deadline.That's what I've been thinking as well. Until the GM situation is sorted out I think it would be difficult to start working too in-depth on anything.

-Deborah

Shefnation
10-12-05, 11:08 PM
if minnesota really wants a 2nd basemen, how about womack for hunter? we can even throw in felix rodriguez for good measure.

Captain Yankee
10-12-05, 11:13 PM
Hunter isn't as good as highlights make him seem. It's that simple. He's overrated and overpaid. So in other words, he could fit right in. For the Yankees sake, let's hope we don't trade for him.
Most scouts consider either Tori Hunter or Andruw Jones the best defensive Centerfielder in baseball. I guess he's overrated.

brosiusbuddy
10-12-05, 11:16 PM
who is working this deal? george steinbrenner im sure is too busy thinking of people to fire and stick and cashman aren't dealing for the yanks at the moment, it would seem. even if they were, neither would be insane enough to trade away cano after the rookie season he put together.

surge511
10-12-05, 11:19 PM
Torii Hunter is good and I would gladly take him, but not for Cano. I doubt that this rumor is true, considering we have no GM and have had no postseason meetings yet, and that Cano is the best prospect we have seen since Soriano. Unless the Twins contacted the Yankees, I highly doubt this trade will go through.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 11:25 PM
I'd rather Melky :D

Me too but realistically he won't be ready for a while.

Rich
10-12-05, 11:44 PM
The Yankees have not yet had their annual postseason organizational meeting, where they formulate the plans for the upcoming season. They haven't even settled the GM question. This makes it highly unlikely that there have already been trade discussions for Hunter or any other player. It's possible that this was a trade scenario that was discussed at some point before this season's trade deadline.

I thought it was merely Heyman's insane rantings.

Crusadecat
10-12-05, 11:52 PM
I'd never do that deal in a thousand years, Thats overpaying and leaves us with what at second, Womack again?

DontHateOnNumber2
10-12-05, 11:54 PM
Trade offer DENIED. The Yankees should never trade Robbie, besides no one knows if Torii will ever be the same again. He essentially shredded his ankle didn't he?

CTyankeefan
10-13-05, 12:22 AM
Bullsh*t.

I woud have to think about this. I don't want to trade Cano, but Hunter is an excellent player. Tough one.

If Hunter was younger, then this deal is a no brainer. But I don't know how long he has left. Yanks can't trade Cano for a 3 years of center field.

Cano is good, but he is replacable. Let me check his age etc. and get back to you.

Sometimes when you want to get better you have to make trades you don't want to make.
Cano is by no means untouchable.

CTyankeefan
10-13-05, 12:24 AM
Most scouts consider either Tori Hunter or Andruw Jones the best defensive Centerfielder in baseball. I guess he's overrated.

Hunter is very good. What I don't get is why some people have this affinity for home grown players. Who cares?

The only benefit a home grown players has is that he is cheap. That is is it. I don't care if a guy came through the farm or not.

brosiusbuddy
10-13-05, 12:28 AM
If Hunter was younger, then this deal is a no brainer. But I don't know how long he has left. Yanks can't trade Cano for a 3 years of center field.

I gotta respectfully disagree with you there. I dont recall Hunter being quite the standout rookie that cano is. I'd much rather take my chances that cano is going to pan out to be a great hitting 2nd baseman (something that doesn't come along all too often) and stick with him rather than Torii Hunter. We've made it to the playoffs every year with bernie since 95. He's slowly gotten worse each year. You gotta think that if we just gotta guy who covered more ground and had a good arm and could bring decent offense (.280, 15+ hrs) along with that, thats all we'd need.

We dont need the worlds greatest CF, we just need one thats better than what we have and that doesn't require letting go of Cano

brosiusbuddy
10-13-05, 12:29 AM
Hunter is very good. What I don't get is why some people have this affinity for home grown players. Who cares?

The only benefit a home grown players has is that he is cheap. That is is it. I don't care if a guy came through the farm or not.

You'd never have to deal with "can he handle ny" or "will there be a transitional slump" because homegrown players don't have that sort of thing come up.

mickey mantle
10-13-05, 12:33 AM
hunter has never hit for great average, but he can hit homeruns and more importantly play good defense and steal bases. he would obviously be a solid pick-up for the yanks but cano had such a great rookie season and so much potetnial. also, considering hes getting over a big ankle injury, its not certain how his return will be. id stick with cano.

Vin
10-13-05, 01:02 AM
If Cano gets traded for Torii which I'd hate to see. Who's going to replace him on second? Bellhorn?

Jacque Jones sounds more of a safer bet. But what would they want in return.

ryanthe13th
10-13-05, 01:06 AM
Its not wise to trade the future of this team.

Thurman15
10-13-05, 01:47 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Enter_Sandman_42
10-13-05, 02:34 AM
I like Hunter alot, but just say no to trading Cano, the guy had an excellent rookie year in New York, a good post season in New York, he seems like he can handle new york, he needs to work on some things, but once he puts it all together, he's going to be good, say no to trading Cano

we could trade for someone else like gathwright or baldelli or something w/out trading cano.

CTyankeefan
10-13-05, 02:39 AM
I like Hunter alot, but just say no to trading Cano, the guy had an excellent rookie year in New York, a good post season in New York, he seems like he can handle new york, he needs to work on some things, but once he puts it all together, he's going to be good, say no to trading Cano

we could trade for someone else like gathwright or baldelli or something w/out trading cano.

Tori is a better player right now than cano. I probably don't do this deal because I think cano could be a great hitter, and he is cheap.

That is why yanks won't deal Cano. You get a high level offensive player on the cheap. That is how the yanks built their dynasty. They got a ton of Bargains for a long time (Jeter, rivera, Pettite, Posoda etc.). that allowed the yanks to go get the David cone, Knoblach, Fielder, Clemens etc.

Once the yanks had to start paying Jeter and Co. the yanks stopped being as good.

I don't begrudge Jeter for making his money. But there is nothing like cheap players who perform at all-star levels.

Brent
10-13-05, 02:45 AM

Id like to have a great defender at center but I wouldnt trade Cano.

Enter_Sandman_42
10-13-05, 02:45 AM
Tori is a better player right now than cano. I probably don't do this deal because I think cano could be a great hitter, and he is cheap.

That is why yanks won't deal Cano. You get a high level offensive player on the cheap. That is how the yanks built their dynasty. They got a ton of Bargains for a long time (Jeter, rivera, Pettite, Posoda etc.). that allowed the yanks to go get the David cone, Knoblach, Fielder, Clemens etc.

Once the yanks had to start paying Jeter and Co. the yanks stopped being as good.

I don't begrudge Jeter for making his money. But there is nothing like cheap players who perform at all-star levels.

agreed, lets hope that you are right and we end up keeping Cano.

TheScooter
10-13-05, 07:16 AM
How is Torrii Hunter's leg injury?Will the injury cause him to lose a step?Until you see him play again,those are reasonable questions to ask.

rajah
10-13-05, 08:41 AM
I have a few predictions:

1) Torii Hunter will be the starting CFer for the Y's next year.

2) Yankee fans will love Hunter's exciting CF play, including his great arm, something they have not seen in CF in a long time.

3) Even the UZR-obsessed posters here will appreciate his special defensive talents.

4) Hunter will be the kind of clutch role player that the Y's need, the kind of pick up that Brosius was, contributing on both offense and defense.

5) Robbie Cano will continue to develop as the Yankee second sacker.

The prediction about which I feel the most confident is admittedly (5). He will not be traded.

I Love Wang
10-13-05, 08:43 AM
The Yankees and Twins are not discussing it. Lupica, the retard, suggested it, because he is retarded. Don't represent this as something else.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-13-05, 08:59 AM

2) Yankee fans will love Hunter's exciting CF play, including his great arm, something they have not seen in CF in a long time.

3) Even the UZR-obsessed posters here will appreciate his special defensive talents.

4) Hunter will be the kind of clutch role player that the Y's need, the kind of pick up that Brosius was, contributing on both offense and defense.

The prediction about which I feel the most confident is admittedly (5). He will not be traded.Although I hope that you're wrong, I'll add a 6th prediction assuming that your first 5 come true.

6. The thread lambasting the Yankee FO for dealing whatever prospects were dealt for Hunter will be viscious in tone, and contain at least 750 posts. :P

Kulish29
10-13-05, 09:04 AM

The prediction about which I feel the most confident is admittedly (5). He will not be traded.

If that's the case then that means they trade either A.) Prospects or B.) Wang. I'd like to do neither. Hunter is a great defender. But he's coming off of major surjery and doesnt hit enough.

mycroft
10-13-05, 09:08 AM
Cano's defensive lapses have made him trade bate but I don't believe it is wise to give up on him. I think we could make a very nice package of players instead. How about starting with Wright, Proctor, FRod, Embree, Lawton...oh yea right. What was I thinking.

keithf1
10-13-05, 09:10 AM
Trading Cano is just ubsurd. Stop discussing it. It will never happen.

PittsburghYankeeFan
10-13-05, 09:14 AM
We could hope someone in Minnesota has a brain cramp and takes a Jaret Wright for Hunter trade straight up with maybe some AA prospects thrown in by the Yankees...

Martini6196
10-13-05, 09:16 AM
If Hunter hadn't gotten injured and had major surgery this year I would be all for Duncan for Hunter. Cano is untouchable in my mind (as well as many of yours). Although I'm excited about Duncan you never can tell what you are gonna get with these young guys and it's always easy to find first baseman in free agency. With that said I think Hunter is too much a gamble after the injury he sustained and the surgery he had. You never know how he'll recover and with the Yankees luck he'll reinjure himself within the first month of the season.

Martini6196
10-13-05, 09:17 AM
We could hope someone in Minnesota has a brain cramp and takes a Jaret Wright for Hunter trade straight up with maybe some AA prospects thrown in by the Yankees...

Now we're talking............throw in Womack too!

ppa79
10-13-05, 09:40 AM
Now we're talking............throw in Womack too!

Thats a totally one-sided deal. The Twins have to throw in Mauer just to make it fair. ;)

IronCaballo4
10-13-05, 09:41 AM

Can you imagine Sabu in CF? ohhh man :eek:

ICEBERG18
10-13-05, 11:17 AM
Cano's defensive lapses have made him trade bate.

Where have seen or read that Cano is trade bait?

"Cashman, who's still here at last head count, has declared promising second baseman Robinson Cano off-limits."

ICEBERG18
10-13-05, 11:19 AM
Contrary to Yankees rumors (Meaning NY Media), the Twins insist there is 'zero interest' in trading outfielder Torii Hunter."

-St. Paul Pioneer Press-

Babe Rules
10-13-05, 11:22 AM
Why would you trade Cano and then pick up Soriano? They are virtually the same player except for the salaries. Maybe they would do Crosby for Hunter with some cash thrown in.
Twins have 10 guys like Crosby in the minors. Forget it.

Martini6196
10-13-05, 11:31 AM
I'm just curious why Minnesota would trade Torii Hunter in the first place. I doubt Jacque Jones resigns with them so they would end up losing 2/3 of their outfield if Hunter gets traded.

NelsonMuntz
10-13-05, 11:31 AM
Contrary to Yankees rumors (Meaning NY Media), the Twins insist there is 'zero interest' in trading outfielder Torii Hunter."

-St. Paul Pioneer Press-
Not that it refutes your overall point, but for the record there were rumors in the Minneapolis press that the Twins are looking to move Hunter.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5617772.html

The Twins will lay everything on the table over the next several weeks as the makeup of the 2006 roster is discussed, according to two Twins officials with knowledge of the team's offseason plans. Trading Hunter and unloading his large contract will be considered as an option, according to the officials.
In other words, it's not just "the NY media" stirring the pot.

ChinMusic
10-13-05, 12:05 PM
Luckily, I don't see it happening. I think (or hope, atleast) he'll be playing elsewhere next year.

I dont think realistically the guy is tradeable. Like I said IMO you would have to pay about 40% of the remaining 29.5 million to trade him. Then you would have to find a team, that needs and wants a catcher, and who has something you need and is willing to trade it for Posada. Arizona keeps comimg up as a possible landing spot for Posada. I dont know their players. Is there annyone there that we would want and need? I think the most viable option is ggoing to be signing Hernandez and making Posada the every day DH and limit his catching to 40 games, and then cutting bait with him at the end of the 06 season. This would save us the 12 million due Posada for the 07 season. This of course would mean that Sheff cant be moved to DH.

WashingtonYankee
10-13-05, 12:05 PM
Hell no, Cano is great. We need to keep Cano.

grtwhtsk
10-13-05, 12:31 PM
No way we trade Cano or Wang. Such talk is ridiculous.

Stupid Flanders
10-13-05, 12:57 PM

Lineup

Jeter SS
Arod 3B
Soriano 2B
Sheff RF/DH
Matsui LF
Giambi 1B
Hunter CF
Posoda C
Awesome! Soriano isn't a free agent!

Don Mattingly
10-13-05, 12:58 PM
Heyman says we should trade Wang for Zito.

IronCaballo4
10-13-05, 12:58 PM
Heyman says we should trade Wang for Zito.

No way...not unless 2 Cold Scorpio is involved

NewEraYanks2527
10-13-05, 01:02 PM
No way we trade Cano or Wang. Such talk is ridiculous.
Seriously, if the Yankees trade Cano or Wang I will really lose alot of faith in this franchise.

27IsNext
10-13-05, 02:41 PM
I have high doubts that either Cano or Wang are traded unless the offer is overwhelming. During the mid-season meetings, it was reported that George was delighted with what the rookies did, and wanted to rush more farmhands up to the bigs as a result. (This apparantly triggered Melky's promotion to AAA right before he came up to the bigs.)

parkerstrong
10-13-05, 03:41 PM
Seriously, if the Yankees trade Cano or Wang I will really lose alot of faith in this franchise.

I disagree. I wouldnt mind trading them, it just means we better get alot back. Would u trade Wang and Cano for Santana and Hunter? I would. Never say never....you dont know what crazy GM may be out there....(now where is the equvilant baseball GM of Isiah Thomas?)

27IsNext
10-13-05, 04:15 PM
I disagree. I wouldnt mind trading them, it just means we better get alot back. Would u trade Wang and Cano for Santana and Hunter? I would. Never say never....you dont know what crazy GM may be out there....(now where is the equvilant baseball GM of Isiah Thomas?)

I would want a ML-ready OFer along with Satana as opposed to Hunter.

Not gonna happen, of course, but that's what I'd want.

rajah
10-13-05, 04:58 PM
The Yankees and Twins are not discussing it. Lupica, the retard, suggested it, because he is retarded. Don't represent this as something else.

I don't like Lupica either. I avoid reading his column. But he is not retarded. He is a clever writer who has been very successful in his chosen profession. Good luck achieving his level of success!

rajah
10-13-05, 05:10 PM
Although I hope that you're wrong, I'll add a 6th prediction assuming that your first 5 come true.

6. The thread lambasting the Yankee FO for dealing whatever prospects were dealt for Hunter will be viscious in tone, and contain at least 750 posts. :P

I really don't care about the posters who would rather lose with overrated, mediocre prospects because they give hope for the future rather than enhance the chances of winning over the next couple of years.

If the Y's had had a player of Hunter's caliber playing in CF this year, they would have had the best record in the AL and would still be playing now. I predict they get Hunter wihout trading either Duncan or Hughes or Wang or Cano, though I do think Melky could be part of the trade. And I predict that by the end of next year 19 out of 20 of those "don't trade prospects" posters will be happy that the Y's made the trade.

The Y's were close this year. They don't need to start over and rebuild. In any event, they are not going to do that. They will be rebuilt to win next year. If some don't like that, they porobably should root for a smaller market team that has no choice but to rebuild every few years.

Getting Torii Hunter for a few years in his early 30s while the class of 2005 draftees develops makes sense. Hunter is a very fine defensive OFer with a great arm and I believe the right attitude for post season success. I compare him to Scott Brosius. I will take the ratings of major league scouts over the computer trollers here who claim he is overrated.

surge511
10-13-05, 05:37 PM
If it doesn't take Chacon, Wang, Cano, Duncan, or Hughes, I am all for trying to get Hunter. He is solid offensively, and plays great defense. A good clubhouse guy too, and pretty young. He would be a good fit.

sugmasterflex
10-13-05, 06:23 PM
No way!

Kulish29
10-13-05, 06:37 PM
If the Yankees trade anything for Hunter, Jesse Crain would have to be included in the package.

yanksphan
10-14-05, 09:55 AM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5668413-2.html

There isn't any doubt that the New York Yankees would have interest in trading for Twins center fielder Torii Hunter. But the only player on the Yankees roster the Twins could afford and might be accepted by them in exchange for Hunter would be young second baseman Robinson Cano, and he isn't available.

rivera,s cutter
10-14-05, 11:06 AM
i would love to see torri hunter in pinstripes,but if it happens the yankees would have to make hard decisions for it to happen,and i don,t want to see wang chacon or cano to be part of that deal.

absinNY
10-14-05, 11:07 AM
If Cano gets traded for Torii which I'd hate to see. Who's going to replace him on second? Bellhorn?

Jacque Jones sounds more of a safer bet. But what would they want in return.

The Yankees probably wouldn't have to give up any players to the Twins to get Jones since he's a free agent.
Bellhorn would be a good replacement for Cano at 2nd. He's due to rebound and there isn't as much pressure in NY as Boston so he would probably do better here. I would be worried about the embedded Red Sox thing though. You saw what Embree did this year, even though he seemed happy when the Sox got swept.

harkode2002
10-14-05, 12:03 PM
Bellhorn a good replacement for Cano?????

You just gave me a good belly laugh. It's apparent that you were not watching yankee baseball to see Cano, nor did you see much of Bellhorn or read his stats.
You think is's OK to replace a 22 year old potential ROY with a guy that strikes out 170 times and hits .200. C'mon, you are kidding, right?

NCpinstripes
10-14-05, 12:06 PM
No way in the world would I trade Cano for anyone right now...

WHIP
10-14-05, 12:09 PM
I'll give them Scott Proctor.

b_joseph
10-14-05, 12:13 PM
No way in the world would I trade Cano for anyone right now...
Not even, Cano for Zito and Harden?

YankeeTom
10-14-05, 12:16 PM
Not even, Cano for Zito and Harden?

hehehehe

You are kidding ???

:uhh: :uhh

Stupid Flanders
10-14-05, 12:22 PM
Bellhorn a good replacement for Cano?????

You just gave me a good belly laugh. It's apparent that you were not watching yankee baseball to see Cano, nor did you see much of Bellhorn or read his stats.
You think is's OK to replace a 22 year old potential ROY with a guy that strikes out 170 times and hits .200. C'mon, you are kidding, right?It's true the most important stats are strikeouts and batting average

Bellhorn and Adam Dunn are the worst players in baseball

WHIP
10-14-05, 12:46 PM
It's true the most important stats are strikeouts and batting average

You forgot one.

RBI.

absinNY
10-14-05, 12:49 PM
It's true the most important stats are strikeouts and batting average

These players suck too. They've all had 170+ strikout seasons: Jim Thome, Pete Incaviglia, Cecil Fielder, Mo Vaughn, Mike Schmidt, Richie Sexson, Mike Cameron, Jose Canseco, Sammy Sosa, Bo Jackson and some guy named Reggie Jackson.

I Love Wang
10-14-05, 12:50 PM
I don't like Lupica either. I avoid reading his column. But he is not retarded. He is a clever writer who has been very successful in his chosen profession. Good luck achieving his level of success!

Lupica is a tool who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. His articles are the cheapest kind of tripe, without a single original idea. Most of what he says is entirely to piss people off, but he can't generate a response in any other way.

rajah
10-14-05, 03:07 PM
Lupica is a tool who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. His articles are the cheapest kind of tripe, without a single original idea. Most of what he says is entirely to piss people off, but he can't generate a response in any other way.

As I said, I don't like Lupica and therefore do not read his columns. But you and I cannot deny his success in his chosen profession. That success, and his general skill at writing and provoking, suggest that he is neither a retard nor unable to discern the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.

In any event, he is not the only person speculating on Hunter and the Yankees. Whether getting Hunter makes sense has nothing to do with Mike Lupica.

Robinson Cano
10-14-05, 05:46 PM
"There isn't any doubt that the New York Yankees would have interest in trading for Twins center fielder Torii Hunter. But the only player on the Yankees roster the Twins could afford and might be accepted by them in exchange for Hunter would be young second baseman Robinson Cano, and he isn't available."

thats from the Star Tribune. Cano is untouchable, and he should be.

nahzo
10-14-05, 05:52 PM
These players suck too. They've all had 170+ strikout seasons: Jim Thome, Pete Incaviglia, Cecil Fielder, Mo Vaughn, Mike Schmidt, Richie Sexson, Mike Cameron, Jose Canseco, Sammy Sosa, Bo Jackson and some guy named Reggie Jackson.

Babe Ruth. Leader in strikeouts (and therefore, sucking) for 5 seasons in major league baseball.

yankees27
10-14-05, 05:57 PM
"There isn't any doubt that the New York Yankees would have interest in trading for Twins center fielder Torii Hunter. But the only player on the Yankees roster the Twins could afford and might be accepted by them in exchange for Hunter would be young second baseman Robinson Cano, and he isn't available."

thats from the Star Tribune. Cano is untouchable, and he should be.
Thank god.

gold23
10-14-05, 05:57 PM
If the Yankees trade anything for Hunter, Jesse Crain would have to be included in the package.

Umm....why would the Twins trade Crain? A very good and cheap middle reliever, with the stuff to eventually close?

As far as Cano, no way the Yanks deal him this winter. If they did, it would have to be a situation where they are simply blown away by what is coming back- essentially, a young and proven star who is about to get expensive. But he'd have to be young, all-star caliber already, and locked up. Don't see many of those players around. Plus, the kid doesn't scare in the spotlight, which is half the battle around here.

Kulish29
10-14-05, 06:15 PM
Umm....why would the Twins trade Crain? A very good and cheap middle reliever, with the stuff to eventually close?

Because if the Yankees are going to get him, which I am completely against, it's going to take at least Cano and/or Wang. Hunter, quite frankly, isnt worth either. He's expensive, K's way too much and is coming off major surgery. The reason Crain should be included, IMHO, is because the Yankees absorb all of the risk here and also, I'm friggin' tired of the Yankees getting fleeced. It's someone else's turn to be the fleece-ee (yes I understand that is not a word).

The Twinks are looking into trading Hunter for one main reason, Pohlad is a cheapskate extraordinaire and he wants to gid rid of Hunter's salary. The Yankees should exploit that. They cannot and should not continue to be team that takes the burdens off of other MLB teams roster's.

gold23
10-14-05, 06:20 PM
Because if the Yankees are going to get him, which I am completely against, it's going to take at least Cano and/or Wang. Hunter, quite frankly, isnt worth either. He's expensive, K's way too much and is coming off major surgery. The reason Crain should be included, IMHO, is because the Yankees absorb all of the risk here and also, I'm friggin' tired of the Yankees getting fleeced. It's someone else's turn to be the fleece-ee (yes I understand that is not a word).

The Twinks are looking into trading Hunter for one main reason, Pohlad is a cheapskate extraordinaire and he wants to gid rid of Hunter's salary. The Yankees should exploit that. They cannot and should not continue to be team that takes the burdens off of other MLB teams roster's.

Hunter has value, however. A team like Boston would surely be interested, and would have more chips that might interest the Twins. Minnesota needs offense, and they'd be dealing one of their better hitters.

I would think the Twins would have the advantage in getting rid of Hunter, not the other way around. I haven't seen Terry Ryan say he was looking to deal Torii, and when he does he will certainly get fair value. He's one of the better GM's in the game.

Of course, the Yanks should hang up the phone if Wang or Cano is brought up. But Duncan? I woudl think that name should give the Yankees pause. He is not likely to be a productive major league offensive player for at least 3 or 4 years (based on him being overmatched often in AA, and a real hole still existing in his swing). But he has offensive potential, the Twins need offense.....I could see a guy like Duncan being packaged with a lesser player going for Hunter. And I'd be all for that, because Torii Hunter significantly upgrades you in CF both offensively and defensively. Whatever you may say about his offense, he is tons better than the current version of Bernie Williams.

They were willing to give up a lot for Mark Kotsay- Hunter is a better player, and a great person.

I Love Wang
10-14-05, 06:25 PM
Hunter has value, however. A team like Boston would surely be interested, and would have more chips that might interest the Twins. Minnesota needs offense, and they'd be dealing one of their better hitters.

I would think the Twins would have the advantage in getting rid of Hunter, not the other way around. I haven't seen Terry Ryan say he was looking to deal Torii, and when he does he will certainly get fair value. He's one of the better GM's in the game.

Of course, the Yanks should hang up the phone if Wang or Cano is brought up. But Duncan? I woudl think that name should give the Yankees pause. He is not likely to be a productive major league offensive player for at least 3 or 4 years (based on him being overmatched often in AA, and a real hole still existing in his swing). But he has offensive potential, the Twins need offense.....I could see a guy like Duncan being packaged with a lesser player going for Hunter. And I'd be all for that, because Torii Hunter significantly upgrades you in CF both offensively and defensively. Whatever you may say about his offense, he is tons better than the current version of Bernie Williams.

They were willing to give up a lot for Mark Kotsay- Hunter is a better player, and a great person.

Duncan was overmatched at AA because he was pushed too quickly. He's been a monster in the AFL right now, and I suspect he will end 2006 in AAA, and be a major leaguer at 22 in 2007.

27IsNext
10-14-05, 06:29 PM
I have full confidence that thanks to their immediate success, Cano and Wang will be here for a long while. (Chacon too, but I'm counting guys from our farm system.)

Now, as for Duncan, Hughes, etc. I'm not so sure.

gold23
10-14-05, 06:30 PM
Duncan was overmatched at AA because he was pushed too quickly. He's been a monster in the AFL right now, and I suspect he will end 2006 in AAA, and be a major leaguer at 22 in 2007.

Where? He's projected to be either slightly below average (or worse) with the glove, and the Yanks don't have an opening at 3B. Plus....he's the type of player who seems to take a while to adjust to a new level. Would the Yanks carry a guy who made 30 errors and hit .240-21-80 for a few years? Nope. If he moved to the OF, would he be as valuable? Nope- he'd have to produce like an All-Star. Because look at the mid-tier OF you can sign each year.....unless he got to .270-25-100 pretty quickly, the Yanks main advantage with Duncan would be his contract status. I do like his long term prospects of becoming a good player, but I really don't believe it is for 3-5 years. I think he'll be a major leaguer before then, but not a very good one. Take a look at most prospects who do not tear up leagues in their early 20's- if they become good players, it is generally not right away.

He's going to get traded. Just depends on who they get for him.

LloydBanks
10-14-05, 06:33 PM
I'd want Tori Hunter. Not for Cano though. Maybe a 3 way deal where we could send another team Pavano and they could get a bat or something like that. Would probably take a 3 way deal.

gold23
10-14-05, 06:34 PM
I'd want Tori Hunter. Not for Cano though. Maybe a 3 way deal where we could send another team Pavano and they could get a bat or something like that. Would probably take a 3 way deal.

For some reason, people don't like Pavano. The guy pitched decently, then got hurt and pitched poorly while he was hurt. The shut it down.

I Love Wang
10-14-05, 06:35 PM
Where? He's projected to be either slightly below average (or worse) with the glove, and the Yanks don't have an opening at 3B. Plus....he's the type of player who seems to take a while to adjust to a new level. Would the Yanks carry a guy who made 30 errors and hit .240-21-80 for a few years? Nope. If he moved to the OF, would he be as valuable? Nope- he'd have to produce like an All-Star. Because look at the mid-tier OF you can sign each year.....unless he got to .270-25-100 pretty quickly, the Yanks main advantage with Duncan would be his contract status. I do like his long term prospects of becoming a good player, but I really don't believe it is for 3-5 years. I think he'll be a major leaguer before then, but not a very good one. Take a look at most prospects who do not tear up leagues in their early 20's- if they become good players, it is generally not right away.

He's been playing first base, that seems pretty obvious.

He went from Low-A ball to AA in less than a year, and, predictably, struggled. He's playing Fall league(and dominating), and I suspect he will be much more successful next year at AA, and get moved to AAA later in the season. Then I think he'll start 2007 in AAA, and eventually get moved up. By 2008, he'll be a full-time major leaguer.

In my opinion, of course.

27IsNext
10-14-05, 06:35 PM

Giambi is soon going to have to become full-time DH before his legs completely fall off. Sheffield is gone after next season. That's two spots that he could take over. A little patience never hurt anyone, assuming your prediction is true of course. What better than to have him ready (going by your projected years it will take him to get really good) by the time Giambi comes off the books?

I would be fine with trading him, depending on who we get in return. If we trade him for Hunter, I just might puke. I don't want Torii Hunter within 200 miles of Yankee Stadium unless is as an opposing player.

LloydBanks
10-14-05, 06:42 PM
For some reason, people don't like Pavano. The guy pitched decently, then got hurt and pitched poorly while he was hurt. The shut it down.

We just have 5 other pitchers I'd rather have than him. He was inconsistent.

gold23
10-14-05, 06:46 PM
Giambi is soon going to have to become full-time DH before his legs completely fall off. Sheffield is gone after next season. That's two spots that he could take over. A little patience never hurt anyone, assuming your prediction is true of course. What better than to have him ready (going by your projected years it will take him to get really good) by the time Giambi comes off the books?

I would be fine with trading him, depending on who we get in return. If we trade him for Hunter, I just might puke. I don't want Torii Hunter within 200 miles of Yankee Stadium unless is as an opposing player.

Well...we disagree on Torii Hunter. For all of his attributes, I'll take his deficiencies. And thos deficiencies can be somewhat hidden on the Yanks. He would hit likely 6th or 7th- he'll have guys on base in front of him more often than behind him. So his lowish OBA isn't going to hurt AS much. And he is a pretty good production guy. Has some speed, is going to be an asset offensively- much more so than the last two years of Bernie.

Defensively, he's very good. I've watched him play a ton of games, as I am in the St Paul area quite often, and of course have the package on the dish. He gets excellent jumps, is amazingly athletic when he gets to the ball, and has a strong arm.

Additionally, his attitude would be a bit refreshing for the Yanks. Great, great person. Brings a ton of energy to the park every day. Is it a huge surprise they flopped when he went down?

Anyway.....as for Duncan, he's not a pitcher. My theory on hitting prospects is that if they are not "elite" prospects- i.e., cream of the crop, can't miss type players (Duncan is a very good prospect, but no scout will term him elite at this point)......well, if you can get a quality established player for him that will help you, you do it.

gold23
10-14-05, 06:47 PM
We just have 5 other pitchers I'd rather have than him. He was inconsistent.

RJ
Mussina
Chacon ? Maybe
Wang

Who else? Asbolutely not Small, and not Wright. I think Wright can be ok, but Pavano is a better pitcher.

LloydBanks
10-14-05, 06:58 PM
RJ
Mussina
Chacon ? Maybe
Wang

Who else? Asbolutely not Small, and not Wright. I think Wright can be ok, but Pavano is a better pitcher.

Chacon for sure. And Small being the 5th. I mean Aaron Small was 10-0 and his ERA was like 3.20. You don't go 10-0 by accident. I don't get why he ain't getting his props. Pavano's only had 1 good season himself.

I Love Wang
10-14-05, 07:00 PM
Well...we disagree on Torii Hunter. For all of his attributes, I'll take his deficiencies. And thos deficiencies can be somewhat hidden on the Yanks. He would hit likely 6th or 7th- he'll have guys on base in front of him more often than behind him. So his lowish OBA isn't going to hurt AS much. And he is a pretty good production guy. Has some speed, is going to be an asset offensively- much more so than the last two years of Bernie.

Defensively, he's very good. I've watched him play a ton of games, as I am in the St Paul area quite often, and of course have the package on the dish. He gets excellent jumps, is amazingly athletic when he gets to the ball, and has a strong arm.

Additionally, his attitude would be a bit refreshing for the Yanks. Great, great person. Brings a ton of energy to the park every day. Is it a huge surprise they flopped when he went down?

Anyway.....as for Duncan, he's not a pitcher. My theory on hitting prospects is that if they are not "elite" prospects- i.e., cream of the crop, can't miss type players (Duncan is a very good prospect, but no scout will term him elite at this point)......well, if you can get a quality established player for him that will help you, you do it.

Duncan for Hunter wouldn't happen. Duncan would front a package for Hunter. And Duncan will have much more value than Hunter in about 2 years, and I'm not willing to give that up for a 31-year old overrated defender who's an average hitter.

noneckwilliams
10-14-05, 07:05 PM
Johnny Damon will be a Yankee by Thanksgiving. His "welcome" press conference will be presided over by Randy Levine, GM Damon Oppenheimer and new field manager Lou Piniella.

:mad:

Bub
10-14-05, 07:11 PM
I'd like to have Hunter for the next few years, but not at any large expense, and certainly not at the expense of Cano. I don't know what the Twins need, but they can have Pavano or Gordon, plus some side dishes like Sturtz or Womack.

Bob Saccomano
10-14-05, 07:18 PM
I would hate it if Cano were traded.

Cano's a developing player - he makes rookie mistakes. Give him a chance to improve before writing him off. Soriano, on the other hand, has a sweet swing but will likely not improve his fielding. He definitely had a down year in his average this year, too. Re-signing him in place of Cano, regardless of who the CFer is, would be a bad move.

DJ27
10-14-05, 07:22 PM
Johnny Damon will be a Yankee by Thanksgiving. His "welcome" press conference will be presided over by Randy Levine, GM Damon Oppenheimer and new field manager Lou Piniella.

Ouch... what a horrible image!
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Bernie Inferno
10-14-05, 07:25 PM

What horrible imagery!

RhodyYanksFan
10-14-05, 07:25 PM

Lineup

Jeter SS
Arod 3B
Soriano 2B
Sheff RF/DH
Matsui LF
Giambi 1B
Hunter CF
Posoda C

:lol:
This is real baseball, not EA Sports.

Besides, we all know you'd bat Hunter 2nd.

They had better not trade Cano for Torii Hunter. I don't care how good he is. This team needs a new crop of homegrown talent!

JapanJobbers
10-14-05, 07:30 PM
I'd like to have Hunter for the next few years, but not at any large expense, and certainly not at the expense of Cano. I don't know what the Twins need, but they can have Pavano or Gordon, plus some side dishes like Sturtz or Womack.

If they trade Hunter it's to lower salary so they wouldn't take Pavano. If they want Gordan that much I guess they could sign him themselves. ;)

27IsNext
10-14-05, 07:45 PM

Offensively, his best days are behind him. They were never that awe-inspiring to begin with. Same goes for his defense. Finally, he's coming off an ankle surgery. Do you really want that risk, especially since it will likely only speed up his decline?

Duncan is definately available in the right trade--but Duncan for Hunter is not the right trade.

kan_t
10-14-05, 07:53 PM
I only will do it if the deal is Chacon + Henn for Hunter + Crain.

DJ27
10-14-05, 08:07 PM
I only will do it if the deal is Chacon + Henn for Hunter + Crain.

I'd rather include Pavano and lots of cash than Chacon. Chacon looks like the real deal in NY.

DJ27
10-14-05, 08:08 PM
I'd rather include Pavano and lots of cash than Chacon. Chacon looks like the real deal in NY.

But, both these are unlikely because they would want a hitter included in the deal too.

George Steinbrenner
10-14-05, 08:13 PM
Wish List for Center Field in 2006:
1) Tori Hunter (Duncan available)
2) Juan Pierre (Duncan not available)
3) Juan Encarnacion ($$ available)

basically I just want a good glove in center field.

George Steinbrenner
10-14-05, 08:14 PM
But, both these are unlikely because they would want a hitter included in the deal too.

we got plenty-o-hitters.

27IsNext
10-14-05, 08:14 PM
Encarnacion would be better off starting in RF.

yanks710
10-14-05, 08:17 PM
Wish List for Center Field in 2006:
1) Tori Hunter (Duncan available)
2) Juan Pierre (Duncan not available)
3) Juan Encarnacion ($$ available)

basically I just want a good glove in center field.

Agreed. As much as I'd like to keep Duncan, Hunter is definitley worth it. I mean Hunter will be 31 in July, so we are catching him right in his prime I feel.

kan_t
10-14-05, 08:18 PM
That's why I don't think Pavano will be in the deal (if it happans). Twins can trade Chacon for a hitter easily. His trade value is higher than Pavano a lot now.

yanks710
10-14-05, 08:21 PM

O man I hope not

CanoForPresident
10-14-05, 08:56 PM
If Jaques Jones is not a type A FA... Id sign him...

Obviously I am a huge cano fan. I think the only CF i'd trade him for is vernon wells.

rajah
10-14-05, 09:10 PM

I can understand your not wanting to trade Duncan for Hunter. I really can't make that assessment one way or the other as I have never seen Duncan play and only can read his minor league stats, and besides unlike most posters here, I don't presume to be able to judge young talent.

But I do object to your statement that you would not want Hunter on the Yankees, apparently regardless of what it took to get him. That statement I can judge and my judgment is that it is stupid because I have seen Hunter play and he is a very, very good OFer with a bat much better than what the Y's have had this year and are otherwise likely to have with good defense next year. The cost may be too high, but don't tell me that he would hurt the team.