PDA

View Full Version : IPOD/MP3 player Advice

Hitman23
10-12-05, 11:37 AM
I am on the verge of purchasing an Ipod or a comparable MP3 player and was hoping for some reviews. Now that they've been out for quite some time and people have had time for issues and problems. reading online reviews I have seen the following negative feedback with the Ipod:
- hard drive crashes/locks up/lags
- computer has trouble with Itunes software
- battery cannot be replaced by user, needs to be brought to manufacturer or 3rd party
- screen scratches very easily
- EXTREMELY poor customer service

Can anyone share any issues they have with theirs? Or make me feel better by saying you've never had a problem? It seems to me that at first people love it, and after the 90 warranty runs out problems happen. I know that it's wise to purchase an extended warantee on something like this, but it doesn't mean I want to rely on using it.

Right now I'm looking at the 30GB color display model.

Thanks!!

wexy
10-12-05, 11:48 AM
I recently got to 20gb Ipod.The first one crashed on me while recharging it. I'd ordered it online and went to the Ipod store on Prince Street where they replaced it without a receipt or box when the troubleshooting didn't work.

The new one is fine. I protect it with an Ipod skin which is sorta like a condom for my Ipod . I've had no problem with Itunes and have dowloaded my Cds and bought a bunch of songs as well.

Now its like an insulin pump medicating me with tunes throughout the day.

yanksrule69
10-12-05, 11:50 AM
I am on the verge of purchasing an Ipod or a comparable MP3 player and was hoping for some reviews. Now that they've been out for quite some time and people have had time for issues and problems. reading online reviews I have seen the following negative feedback with the Ipod:
- hard drive crashes/locks up/lags
- computer has trouble with Itunes software
- battery cannot be replaced by user, needs to be brought to manufacturer or 3rd party
- screen scratches very easily
- EXTREMELY poor customer service
Thanks!!

I have the 20GB model that I got last Christmas.

I have never had any problems with the iTunes software and my computer.

For now, my battery seems to be holding up as well as it did when I first got it.

My screen is all banged up. I wish I had either kept the plastic cover thing they package it with on (this has worked for a few of my friends) or gotten a case for it right from the beginning.

I haven't ever had to deal with their customer service so I can't help you there.

I have had two different problems with it. I was using it on a plane one day and it just stopped playing music. The screen was still on and it looked like I had paused it but I hadn't and I couldn't get it to do anything. It was completely frozen. Obviously, I couldn't call customer service right then so I just kept it on and let the battery completely drain. After I recharged it fully it worked fine. Not the brightest idea but on another day I left it in my car when it was like 100 degrees out. When I went to turn it on all I could see was the apple logo. I had to cool it down in the AC before it started working again.

The scratches all over it is the thing I would say is my biggest complaint but that can easily be avoided with a case.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 11:57 AM
I recently got to 20gb Ipod.The first one crashed on me while recharging it. I'd ordered it online and went to the Ipod store on Prince Street where they replaced it without a receipt or box when the troubleshooting didn't work.

The new one is fine. I protect it with an Ipod skin which is sorta like a condom for my Ipod . I've had no problem with Itunes and have dowloaded my Cds and bought a bunch of songs as well.

Now its like an insulin pump medicating me with tunes throughout the day.I'm considering going to Best Buy instead of buying online so i can avoid the hassle of shipping back and forth for any problems. Luckily you have a store near you, I wish I did. Best Buy has great warantee contracts, I've actually used them and never had any issue.

The banging up problem seems fairly simple, you mentioned a skin. Are they relatively cheap?

Hitman23
10-12-05, 12:00 PM
I have the 20GB model that I got last Christmas.

For now, my battery seems to be holding up as well as it did when I first got it. You've had it for quite some time, this is the review I was most concerned with. The battery life. I've read it's costly to get it replaced, especially out of warantee. I'm happy to see you've had it for so long without a major issue.

BronxByTheBay
10-12-05, 12:03 PM
I'm considering going to Best Buy instead of buying online so i can avoid the hassle of shipping back and forth for any problems. Luckily you have a store near you, I wish I did. Best Buy has great warantee contracts, I've actually used them and never had any issue.

I bought my fiancee an IPod last Christmas and the thing is humming along just fine. Zero problems with software on the pc, zero problems with the unit. I know that there have been complaints with the Nano as far as the screen, but I wasn't aware it was an issue with the other models. My fiancee uses hers to go on walks/jogs and the thing has taken a good beating.

Sidenote on Best Buy: I know everyone has their fav, but mine has always been Circuit City. I've found that Best Buy's CS after you actually own the product sucks, warrenty or no.

You're right about buying electronics in-store, by the way. If I'm making that kind of purchase, I want something I can carry out of a place and inspect rather than playing the waiting game via shipping.

Also, is there anything better than walking into an electronics store with the intention of buying something? ;)

JDPNYY
10-12-05, 12:05 PM
I'm considering going to Best Buy instead of buying online so i can avoid the hassle of shipping back and forth for any problems. Luckily you have a store near you, I wish I did. Best Buy has great warantee contracts, I've actually used them and never had any issue.

The banging up problem seems fairly simple, you mentioned a skin. Are they relatively cheap?

I bought my 3 kids the 20gb IPods last Christmas and they bought me one for my birthday in May.

The ISkins are pretty expensive - about $35.00 but well worth it. I couldn't find any ISkins in any retail store. I had to buy them online.

My youngest son did without an ISkin for a while and his is all scratched up. The rest are all in good shape. Pretty much all 4 have been problem free.

dabomb2045
10-12-05, 12:05 PM
I've had a 20GB IPod since March....and I've never had one problem with it

SuperMario66
10-12-05, 12:10 PM
30GB and I love it. I could have easily gotten a smaller one, but I love the one I have.

I have had absolutely no problems. I do, however reccomend the iSkins. As someome who drops there cell phone constantly, I knew it would be a good thing to have.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 12:14 PM
Sidenote on Best Buy: I know everyone has their fav, but mine has always been Circuit City. I've found that Best Buy's CS after you actually own the product sucks, warrenty or no. Well my experience with BB is that if you push back enough, they do what you want. I had cracked my cell phone's display a few years ago. I went back and (within warantee) told them i wanted a new one, per our agreement. They said they can't cover mis-use, I said you told me "no questions asked". So they gave me a $275 store credit to get any new phone I wanted.

Otherwise I've had zero issues. I walk in, say I need a new one and it's given to me.

You're right about buying electronics in-store, by the way. If I'm making that kind of purchase, I want something I can carry out of a place and inspect rather than playing the waiting game via shipping.

Also, is there anything better than walking into an electronics store with the intention of buying something? ;) I can't stand the shipping thing with electronics. It's not the waiting for it to get to me, it's the shipping it back for issues.

Yeah, I love going into electronic stores intending to buy something. It's just too bad the commission programs with the salespeople at BB and CC are different now. I remember back when I used to go to The Wiz or PC Richards I could haggle. Now they don't break price unless you have a competitor price. This isn't something I'd try to get the price down on since it'll probably be the same anywhere. But anything bigger, i really miss that.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 12:17 PM
I bought my 3 kids the 20gb IPods last Christmas and they bought me one for my birthday in May.

The ISkins are pretty expensive - about $35.00 but well worth it. I couldn't find any ISkins in any retail store. I had to buy them online.

My youngest son did without an ISkin for a while and his is all scratched up. The rest are all in good shape. Pretty much all 4 have been problem free.

I've had a 20GB IPod since March....and I've never had one problem with it

30GB and I love it. I could have easily gotten a smaller one, but I love the one I have.

I have had absolutely no problems. I do, however reccomend the iSkins. As someome who drops there cell phone constantly, I knew it would be a good thing to have.all good reviews. I like this. I read so many bad ones. It's probably just the people who have problems making sure they let it be known.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:30 PM
Don't get the Ipod. Get the Creative Zen Touch. http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10274

Ipod accessories are too expensive.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 12:33 PM
Don't get the Ipod. Get the Creative Zen Touch. http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10274

Ipod accessories are too expensive.I was actually told about the Creative versions of the Ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002BRMNA/qid=1115385290/sr=8-6/ref=pd_csp_6/104-0295947-4899148?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I considered this as well. I assume you have one. Any major difference?

boo_427
10-12-05, 12:38 PM

That thing is sweet. It play WAV files too!!

Are there any of these music players out there that play FLAC files?

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:38 PM
I was actually told about the Creative versions of the Ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002BRMNA/qid=1115385290/sr=8-6/ref=pd_csp_6/104-0295947-4899148?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I DON'T have one but one of my good friends does, and I feel it is much better than the Ipods everyone else has. I've had basically a head to head match, and the Zen Touch is more durable, a bit cheaper, as are it's accessories.

As for the Xtra that you linked, I don't like the design of it. Too bulky, but if size doesn't matter, then that's a good one.

If I were to get one, I'd get the Zen Touch. (But I have no money :D )

And btw, Ipods are a model of Mp3 players made by apple therefore these Creative ones are not "Ipods". :)

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:40 PM
That thing is sweet. It play WAV files too!!

Are there any of these music players out there that play FLAC files?

It's basically like an external, mobile hard drive; it can hold nearly anytype of file (IIRC) and can play a bunch of various different audio types too whereas Ipods can't(again IIRC)

boo_427
10-12-05, 12:43 PM
It's basically like an external, mobile hard drive; it can hold nearly anytype of file (IIRC) and can play a bunch of various different audio types too whereas Ipods can't(again IIRC)

Yeah, I was just wondering being I have a lot of music files stored in FLAC and it is a pain to convert them to MP3.

I also know that .wav files take up much more space than mp3 or flac or shn for that matter.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I was just wondering being I have a lot of music files stored in FLAC and it is a pain to convert them to MP3.

I also know that .wav files take up much more space than mp3 or flac or shn for that matter.

What are FLAC files btw? I've never heard of them.

Edit: Looked it up, nvm. :D

SuperMario66
10-12-05, 12:50 PM
Wanna enlighten me Josh?

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:52 PM
Wanna enlighten me Josh?

About?

SuperMario66
10-12-05, 12:55 PM
About?

FLAC... ahh what the hel, I'll google it.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 12:55 PM
FLAC... ahh what the hel, I'll google it.

It's just another type of compression used for audio files.

CptCrunch
10-12-05, 12:58 PM

I'd recommend this as well. Cheaper than an ipod, longer battery life, and the battery is replaceable.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 01:01 PM
I DON'T have one but one of my good friends does, and I feel it is much better than the Ipods everyone else has. I've had basically a head to head match, and the Zen Touch is more durable, a bit cheaper, as are it's accessories.

As for the Xtra that you linked, I don't like the design of it. Too bulky, but if size doesn't matter, then that's a good one.

If I were to get one, I'd get the Zen Touch. (But I have no money :D )

And btw, Ipods are a model of Mp3 players made by apple therefore these Creative ones are not "Ipods". :)very nice. I'm going to check into it. Are they sold at Best Buy or Circuit City?

IronCaballo4
10-12-05, 01:03 PM
I just purchased a 20GB MP3 player from Dell for $180, shipping included. It's great

Hitman23
10-12-05, 01:06 PM
The negatives regarding the Creative Zen Touch is the software.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0006VYGRG/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-0295947-4899148?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=pc

Any experience with this?

AMC
10-12-05, 01:30 PM
I received an iPod shuffle for free after opening a bank account with Chase but it's the small skinny plastic one without the screen that only holds about 130 songs. The problem I have with the iPod and my computer (Windows XP) is that after downloading the iTunes software and restarting my computer, my E and F drives "disappear". To get around that, I installed the software without restarting, uploaded the music to my iPod and then had to restore my computer to an earlier date so I could use my DVD/CD drives. That's not the best way to do things but I don't know how to fix it and haven't been able to get much help online.

chanman7483
10-12-05, 01:48 PM
Just bought a Nano last week... I've heard they're very fragile and scratch easily, etc, etc... so I've kept the plastic sticker-like cover on it for now. On friday or early next week, my Agent18 hard plastic case will be arriving - - it covers your screen and everything except for the wheel, and has openings for your headphones and dock. Can't wait to get it.

The only complaint I hvae about the whole thing is iTunes. Why the hell can't I maintain my folders after I've uploaded them to iTunes? If you add, for instance, 2 folders of music, they don't stay in their 2 folders. Instead, all the songs from both folders are shoved into one pool and alphabetized. This pissed me off. Greatly. I resorted to adding my folders one at a time and creating playlists for each folder. :mad:

Other than that, it's great... I take the bus to NY in the morning(45 minutes), and it's been great. I also got it customized!
http://home.comcast.net/~andy.chan/onlinestorage/z10417905.jpg

NYYfan24
10-12-05, 01:49 PM
My stupid question of the day:

Do you have to purchase music from the I-tune site, or can music be copied from CD's, and other music sites to the I-pod? My son wants one for Christmas...don't want to buy one, if we can't use music he currently owns.

Thanks. :)

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 01:51 PM
very nice. I'm going to check into it. Are they sold at Best Buy or Circuit City?

I've seen them at Best Buy though I don't regularly shop at Circuit City. I know a bunch of people who work at BB and get me discounts :D

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 01:52 PM
The negatives regarding the Creative Zen Touch is the software.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0006VYGRG/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-0295947-4899148?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=pc

Any experience with this?

I'll ask my friend.

SuperMario66
10-12-05, 01:53 PM
You can definitely use music you already have Nancy. You just upload it to your computer and then put it on your iPod.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 01:54 PM
You can definitely use music you already have Nancy. You just upload it to your computer and then put it on your iPod.

Yeah, I sure you can. Otherwise, I don't think it would be as popular.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 01:56 PM
The only complaint I hvae about the whole thing is iTunes. Why the hell can't I maintain my folders after I've uploaded them to iTunes? If you add, for instance, 2 folders of music, they don't stay in their 2 folders. Instead, all the songs from both folders are shoved into one pool and alphabetized. This pissed me off. Greatly. I resorted to adding my folders one at a time and creating playlists for each folder. :mad: this was one of the bigger complaints when researching the ipods. Being restricted to itunes. I'm not very fond of this myself. Which is why software will be one of the deciding factors in my purchase.

These things are way too much money to be effing around.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 01:57 PM
I've seen them at Best Buy though I don't regularly shop at Circuit City. I know a bunch of people who work at BB and get me discounts :DI've really only seen Ipods there, but I actually haven't specifically looked for anything else. I'm glad you mentioned this. I will be out and about later, I may go look to see how I like it.

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 02:00 PM
I've really only seen Ipods there, but I actually haven't specifically looked for anything else. I'm glad you mentioned this. I will be out and about later, I may go look to see how I like it.

They probably focus on Ipods because they're the most popular, but I've definitley seen the Creative ones there also. Maybe they're hidden behind the Ipods.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7118273&type=product&id=1109233706463

That's the 40 GB one. The price has really come down comparativley. It used to be around 350.

Buckeye Yank
10-12-05, 02:16 PM
Steve - My $.02: Just bought my son the Creative Zen Micro:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

Got the 5GB model from Best Buy for $190? One thing that's probably not publicized is that when you open the box, there's a card from Napster that gives you a limited membership to Napster To Go for 30 days and you can download an unlimited amount of songs for free. The thing holds approximately 2500 songs. We've been downloading and "ripping" our butts off and STILL only have about 375 songs on it. Not sure why you'd want a 20 GB iPod if it's just for music. And with the free songs from Napster, it's worth it alone.

FWIW - Since I'm ignorant, I had to call Creative for help to get the Napster songs to download into the Zen. Apparently a firmware upgrade is required. Took about 5 minutes to do. They were EXTREMELY helpful and informative. Now, all I have to do is search Napster to find the songs, click to download (takes about 30 seconds per song?), then click and drag to load it. Piece of cake.

chanman7483
10-12-05, 02:20 PM
Now, all I have to do is search Napster to find the songs, click to download (takes about 30 seconds per song?), then click and drag to load it. Piece of cake.

That sounds beautiful :giveup:
bloody Itunes :mad:

SuperMario66
10-12-05, 02:23 PM
My only complaint with the iPod is iTunes. I hate it. I was to be able to use my musicmatch.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 02:27 PM
Steve - My $.02: Just bought my son the Creative Zen Micro:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

Got the 5GB model from Best Buy for $190? One thing that's probably not publicized is that when you open the box, there's a card from Napster that gives you a limited membership to Napster To Go for 30 days and you can download an unlimited amount of songs for free. The thing holds approximately 2500 songs. We've been downloading and "ripping" our butts off and STILL only have about 375 songs on it. Not sure why you'd want a 20 GB iPod if it's just for music. And with the free songs from Napster, it's worth it alone.My plan is to put about 75 % of my CD collection (just under 500 disks) on it. Plus whatever I have downloaded. So I actually do require the space.

boo_427
10-12-05, 02:30 PM
These things are way too much money to be effing around.

You aren't kidding. I have over 3,000 cds alone. Plus, include over 100 gigs more on an external hd. I want something I know is compatible with my current stuff.

This Creative thing has caught the eye.

yanksrule69
10-12-05, 02:31 PM
That sounds beautiful :giveup:
bloody Itunes :mad:

How the heck does your iTunes work? Mine works just like BY said about Napster.

chanman7483
10-12-05, 02:33 PM
How the heck does your iTunes work? Mine works just like BY said about Napster.

I was just saying that b/c I'm very frustrated about how you can't drop/drag FOLDERS into your itunes. Can you do drag whole folders into your mp3 player BY?

As far as simply adding songs, mine can do that just fine.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 02:37 PM
You aren't kidding. I have over 3,000 cds alone. Plus, include over 100 gigs more on an external hd. I want something I know is compatible with my current stuff.

This Creative thing has caught the eye.damn... that's alot of music!

it's caught my eye too. I may not be waiting as long as I thought. With everything I'm reading in here and on the customer reviews, I'm leaning towards it.

Buckeye Yank
10-12-05, 02:37 PM
My plan is to put about 75 % of my CD collection (just under 500 disks) on it. Plus whatever I have downloaded. So I actually do require the space.

A thought regarding this plan; no matter what device you use, it will be a major pain in the you-know-what to navigate through an MP3 player with all those songs. If I were you, I'd rip the CD collection into Windows Media Player to organize them and then periodically change the music that's stored on the MP3 player because you're NEVER going to sit and listen to THAT many songs. I think it would be a waste of your time. I think you'd force yourself to listen to more of a variety of music if you're periodically changing your available selection. But that's my opinion. ;)

Buckeye Yank
10-12-05, 02:38 PM
I was just saying that b/c I'm very frustrated about how you can't drop/drag FOLDERS into your itunes. Can you do drag whole folders into your mp3 player BY?

As far as simply adding songs, mine can do that just fine.
By folders do you mean playlists or albums?

chanman7483
10-12-05, 02:45 PM
By folders do you mean playlists or albums?

Let's say you have 2 albums in 2 seperate folders on your computer. If you select both simulatenously, and go to drop them, do they appear on your MP3 device as seperate playlists or folders? Or are all of the songs pooled into one playlist and alphabetized like they do on itunes?

yanksrule69
10-12-05, 02:46 PM

Can't you just go to File > Add folder to library?

I'm probably missing your point...

NYYfan24
10-12-05, 02:51 PM

Thanks! :)

chanman7483
10-12-05, 02:52 PM
Can't you just go to File > Add folder to library?

I'm probably missing your point...

Yeah... that's what I do.

What I want to do is add a folder and have it appear as a folder right off the bat. If I do what you say, the folder's contents are put into you ITunes library alphabetically by song. If you add another folder, those songs are mushed in with the other folder's songs, and they are listed alphabetically. This defeats the purpose of adding by folder, I think, because that's how I wanted it to appear - - as a folder.

I found out how to do this manually, but it's very time consuming.

Buckeye Yank
10-12-05, 02:53 PM
Let's say you have 2 albums in 2 seperate folders on your computer. If you select both simulatenously, and go to drop them, do they appear on your MP3 device as seperate playlists or folders? Or are all of the songs pooled into one playlist and alphabetized like they do on itunes?
I'm NOT an expert at this thing yet but think I can answer your question. If you rip a CD into WMP or the Creative software and then download it into the Zen Micro, it will appear on the screen organized in a variety of ways; by album, by artist and by song (all alphabatized). Once you've got the various songs downloaded to the Zen, you can then create the different playlists. I would imagine you could drag and drop a folder but haven't done it that way yet but it operates just like any Microsoft drag & drop product as far as I can tell. But I would imagine that if your folder is "Andy's favs" and you drag and drop it, it may think "Andy's Favs" is a group? Either that or it will store them under thier respective albums/artists. Like I said, I've never done it that way. Answer your question?

boo_427
10-12-05, 02:53 PM
damn... that's alot of music!

it's caught my eye too. I may not be waiting as long as I thought. With everything I'm reading in here and on the customer reviews, I'm leaning towards it.

I have a lot of live shows, over 400 on discs and most are either 2 or 3 disc. I got DSL my third year of college, in 2001 or so and I went crazy with Bit Torrent. I still do, just not as much as I used to.

I also have this thing which is super awesome for wireless networks and having a receiver to your stereo in a seperate room:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html

The above item is so worth the money is pays for itself.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 02:59 PM
A thought regarding this plan; no matter what device you use, it will be a major pain in the you-know-what to navigate through an MP3 player with all those songs. If I were you, I'd rip the CD collection into Windows Media Player to organize them and then periodically change the music that's stored on the MP3 player because you're NEVER going to sit and listen to THAT many songs. I think it would be a waste of your time. I think you'd force yourself to listen to more of a variety of music if you're periodically changing your available selection. But that's my opinion. ;)Oneof the main reasons I don't listen to all my cds on a regular basis in my car is because my cd book only holds 64 cds. But trust me, I will want all my stuff in there. Before I moved to my current apartment, I use to have my entire rack system at home set up with a 400 cd changer. I would stick that puppy on random and listen to whatever came on. I did this regularly.

i understand what you're saying but I really do want all my sh*t on this device. I can store all my cds away so they don't take up the room they do and have access to any of the with the scroll of a button. As far as the pain in the ass part navigating, this thing is suppose to be separated by band, then by album. That's enough for me.

chanman7483
10-12-05, 03:09 PM
I'm NOT an expert at this thing yet but think I can answer your question. If you rip a CD into WMP or the Creative software and then download it into the Zen Micro, it will appear on the screen organized in a variety of ways; by album, by artist and by song (all alphabatized). Once you've got the various songs downloaded to the Zen, you can then create the different playlists. I would imagine you could drag and drop a folder but haven't done it that way yet but it operates just like any Microsoft drag & drop product as far as I can tell. But I would imagine that if your folder is "Andy's favs" and you drag and drop it, it may think "Andy's Favs" is a group? Either that or it will store them under thier respective albums/artists. Like I said, I've never done it that way. Answer your question?

Yeah.. Thanks. I guess there is no perfect solution, regardless of platform or MP3 player...

yanksrule69
10-12-05, 03:16 PM
Andy - I get what you are saying now. Once you put a folder on can't you just go highlight all the songs that were on it and name the "album" whatever the name of the Folder you just put on? It takes about 33 seconds to highlight and rename the album you just put on. That would essentially make it a playlist on your iPod. Unless, of course, this is about you listening to iTunes on your computer and you aren't talking about after you have transferred them to your iPod.

chanman7483
10-12-05, 03:24 PM
Andy - I get what you are saying now. Once you put a folder on can't you just go highlight all the songs that were on it and name the "album" whatever the name of the Folder you just put on? It takes about 33 seconds to highlight and rename the album you just put on. That would essentially make it a playlist on your iPod. Unless, of course, this is about you listening to iTunes on your computer and you aren't talking about after you have transferred them to your iPod.

That's what I ended up doing... Except I just made a playlist for each new folder I added

sharoncass
10-12-05, 03:25 PM
You've had it for quite some time, this is the review I was most concerned with. The battery life. I've read it's costly to get it replaced, especially out of warantee. I'm happy to see you've had it for so long without a major issue.

I bought my daughter an IPod at Best Buy. The batteries cost $100 and have to be replaced by the manufcturer. I purchased a 3 year service contract for about $50 which includes battery replacement. We had to take it back a couple months ago (she's only had it since May) because it was freezing up. The Geek Squad could not fix it there so it had to be sent back to the manufacturer. She got it back after two weeks (no charge) and it worked for awhile and is now not working again. Im going to have to take it back again.I don't honestly know if she is doing something wrong or it is just defective. If you do get one make sure you get the service contract, it is worth it just for the battery replacement value.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 03:37 PM
If you do get one make sure you get the service contract, it is worth it just for the battery replacement value.I have every intention of doing that. With all the problems I have read about, I can see it definately is worth it.

Buckeye Yank
10-12-05, 03:50 PM
I have every intention of doing that. With all the problems I have read about, I can see it definately is worth it.
Steve - I'm going to get one too. It's $40 and extends the warranty for 2 yrs. ALSO (and a big key for me) it gives you free customer service by phone for those 2 years too.

Hitman23
10-12-05, 04:53 PM
Steve - I'm going to get one too. It's $40 and extends the warranty for 2 yrs. ALSO (and a big key for me) it gives you free customer service by phone for those 2 years too.I think I've made up my mind. I'm gonna go tonight and take a look, if I find the Creative one I will most likely buy it.

Thanks for everyone's help! This was very informative. I love this place. :cool:

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
10-12-05, 05:39 PM
Will either of the types of mp3 players currently under discussion play illegally downloaded music? This is an important factor.

CptCrunch
10-12-05, 05:42 PM
Will either of the types of mp3 players currently under discussion play illegally downloaded music? This is an important factor.

Both will. Not that I know from experience :thatsodd:

Evil Empire
10-12-05, 05:51 PM

Yeah sure. How can it tell?

sox jedi 14
10-12-05, 06:23 PM
New iPod has video capability: Apple.com (www.apple.com)

Apparently you can download ABC shows the day after they're on and watch them, as well as music videos. I suppose it would play any .mpg file, paid for legally or not. And if you rip a DVD to your hard drive, a 60GB iPod would be able to hold quite a few of those and have the battery life to play them.

twinks34
10-12-05, 06:37 PM
I was actually told about the Creative versions of the Ipod.

It's friggin' huge. The Zen Micro's a beauty.
I have an iPod and it works fine. Thing is, like other people have said, it scratches very easily. I still have to get myself an iskin.

caroline331
10-12-05, 06:37 PM
I got a 20 G Ipod for my birthday and I love the thing. I do recommend the Iskin (you can get them at apple stores or www.iskin.com). It has a rubber sleeve, plastic screen protector, and belt clip (very handy at the gym). Well worth the money.

As for the whole itunes thing. I have had no problems with the software. Most of my music has been from my cds or some of my friend's cds. I do have quite a bit from Limewire and it works with no problem on itunes or my ipod (I like finding rare stuff on limewire). I have yet to buy a song on itunes, but there's a few I am tempted to. And it makes burning cds easy too. Even I can do it.

As for organzing your music, finding it on an ipod. I use "shuffle" when I use it most, but if I wanted to sort for individual songs, I would either go to artist, album, or song title

penfold
10-12-05, 06:40 PM
New iPod has video capability: Apple.com (www.apple.com)

Apparently you can download ABC shows the day after they're on and watch them, as well as music videos. I suppose it would play any .mpg file, paid for legally or not. And if you rip a DVD to your hard drive, a 60GB iPod would be able to hold quite a few of those and have the battery life to play them.
This really sounds sweet.
Can't wait till the competition heats up over this puppy!

Casey at the Bat
10-13-05, 01:51 AM
I have one of the original 40 gig ipods, and it works great. Itunes works great too, no real complaints about it. My first ipod did freeze up and kinda broke down. I was still in the warranty timeframe, so I took it to the apple store and they replaced it on the spot. I bought the extended warranty the next day, but haven't had to use it yet. That was about a year and half ago. I use the thing every day for several hours a day at least, and the battery has held up on me with no problem

I really don't have any complaints about the iPod. Sure, it may have broken down once, but it was replaced immediately, and the second one works perfectly fine. So does my shuffle.

Murphy
10-16-05, 08:59 PM
I need some ipod advice. I want to get something so that I can play my ipod in my car. The 2 things I found were an ipod cassette adapter or an ipod trip. There both about the same price so I was wondering if anyone had either and if you do what do you think of it?

Casey at the Bat
10-16-05, 10:58 PM
I need some ipod advice. I want to get something so that I can play my ipod in my car. The 2 things I found were an ipod cassette adapter or an ipod trip. There both about the same price so I was wondering if anyone had either and if you do what do you think of it?

Get the cassette adapter, it will sound MUCH, MUCH better. The itrip should be a last resort, as it (and all fm transmitters) has the poorest sound quality. Plus, you have ot fnd an unused station for it to work. This isn't always easy in metropolitan areas.

I bought an itrip to use in the work vehicles, but quicly replaced it with a cassette adapter. One company (griffin technology?) even makes a "smart" cassette adapter that will let you control the ipod using the cassette player controls on your car stereo.

caroline331
10-16-05, 11:15 PM
the cassette addaptor designed for the ipod is expensive. If you use a regular diskman one, it works fine (and it's cheaper)

Casey at the Bat
10-17-05, 12:05 AM
the cassette addaptor designed for the ipod is expensive. If you use a regular diskman one, it works fine (and it's cheaper)

caroline is correct. The ipod designed ones are more expensive but perform the same function as the cheap ones (except for the "smart" one that controls the ipod from the stereo controls). There is some loss of sound quality in the cheaper ones, but I can never tell the difference. Personally, I bought the cheapest one they had at Sav-On drugs.

Hitman23
10-17-05, 06:22 PM
Haven't ben on line in a while, had surgery last Thursday. :( Everything is okay, but it's tough to be at a computer for any length of time. But I figured I'd update you guys...

I got the 40 gig Creative Zen Touch last week. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I appreciate the recommendation. If anyone is considering getting an MP3 player, I highly suggest it.

Be back soon!

penfold
10-17-05, 06:31 PM
Feel better soon, Hitman!

Murphy
10-17-05, 08:05 PM
Get the cassette adapter, it will sound MUCH, MUCH better. The itrip should be a last resort, as it (and all fm transmitters) has the poorest sound quality. Plus, you have ot fnd an unused station for it to work. This isn't always easy in metropolitan areas.

I bought an itrip to use in the work vehicles, but quicly replaced it with a cassette adapter. One company (griffin technology?) even makes a "smart" cassette adapter that will let you control the ipod using the cassette player controls on your car stereo.

Yea I heard that the sound is better/louder with the cassette adapter.

Really? Someone told me they were about the same price. Ill have to look that up.

caroline331
10-17-05, 08:57 PM
I never actually boughta cassette adapter. I have one from my diskman years ago, and that one worked just fine.

I Love Wang
10-17-05, 08:59 PM
I have an iRiver H10 6GB, and its fantastic. It comes in larger data quantities. www.iriver.com

jnewmark
10-17-05, 10:26 PM
I have a 20 gig ipod and I love it. I use it as a jukebox with all my favorite songs( about 800 and counting). have absolutely no problems with it or with itunes. I bought an auxilary battery for it that keeps it running for about 40 hours. If you have more questions go to: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php

chanman7483
10-17-05, 10:37 PM
Itunes advice please...

I have about 1200 songs in my library. I just added 20 songs to my library that I just d/l'ed. The only way I know of to add these songs to my ipod is to manually scroll through my whole list and look for checked boxes(I uncheck the boxes after I have added the song to a playlist or my ipod). This is becoming a pain in the ass.

Evil Empire
10-17-05, 10:38 PM
Haven't ben on line in a while, had surgery last Thursday. :( Everything is okay, but it's tough to be at a computer for any length of time. But I figured I'd update you guys...

I got the 40 gig Creative Zen Touch last week. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I appreciate the recommendation. If anyone is considering getting an MP3 player, I highly suggest it.

Be back soon!

Good choice and Feel Better! :)

Casey at the Bat
10-17-05, 11:08 PM
Itunes advice please...

I have about 1200 songs in my library. I just added 20 songs to my library that I just d/l'ed. The only way I know of to add these songs to my ipod is to manually scroll through my whole list and look for checked boxes(I uncheck the boxes after I have added the song to a playlist or my ipod). This is becoming a pain in the ass.

If you want to add them manually without having to do what you are doing, then sort them by "date added" and then the newest songs should be all at the top.

If you don't want to do that, then let itunes do it automatically for you, but be aware that it will only look on itunes and match the ipod to that. If there are any songs on the ipod but not iTunes, they will be lost forever.

chanman7483
10-18-05, 12:08 AM
If you want to add them manually without having to do what you are doing, then sort them by "date added" and then the newest songs should be all at the top.

Are you talking about on my hard drive, before I add to Itunes?

EDIT: OH WOW! I dind't know you could add stuff like that. That makes it 1000000x better. Thanks!!

Casey at the Bat
10-18-05, 12:14 AM
Are you talking about on my hard drive, before I add to Itunes?

EDIT: OH WOW! I dind't know you could add stuff like that. That makes it 1000000x better. Thanks!!

I am not sure what feature you are talking about, but I am glad I can be of service! :)

chanman7483
10-18-05, 12:18 AM
I am not sure what feature you are talking about, but I am glad I can be of service! :)

Edit > View Options > Date Added

That way I can sort by having all the newest ones at the top so I don't have to go scrolling through my whole library looking for a newly added song, which would be denoted w/ a check mark

Casey at the Bat
10-18-05, 12:28 AM
ahhh, just what I was trying to tell you to do! That is the same way I add my new songs to my ipod.

Of course, if you don't want to mess with it at all, set it up to synchronize automatically, and it will sync everytime you plug it into the computer. This gives the least amount of control over what is on the iPod, because it will only look at itunes and sync it to itunes. I normally don't use this method unless I had to completely erase my ipod and am trying to restore it.

chanman7483
10-18-05, 12:46 AM
I prefer not to do that b/c I don't have enough room on my ipod for all my music... I only have a 4 gig

Buckeye Yank
10-19-05, 09:26 AM

Be back soon!
Hope you're feeling better bro. Update on the MP3 please! Did it have the Napster card too?

GiambiRocks
10-19-05, 11:24 AM
New toy is a LYRA sport digital audio player.........I never heard of it before but my boyfriend sent me one. It's really interesting....I can track my pulse, calories burned, lap time and workout time plus it holds about 160 songs and had a digital FM radio.

Hitman23
10-24-05, 05:48 AM
Hope you're feeling better bro. Update on the MP3 please! Did it have the Napster card too?I love this thing. It goes everywhere with me. I have over 3K songs on it already.

No, I didn't get a Napster card. Was I supposed to?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm doing fine, just a little tough to sit by a computer for very long. :cool:

chanman7483
10-24-05, 09:36 AM
For anyone with any kind of IPOD, I would recommend the agent18 hard plastic cases. Awesome.

www.agent18.com

Buckeye Yank
10-24-05, 10:19 AM
No, I didn't get a Napster card. Was I supposed to?

When I got the Zen Micro, there was a card in the box giving me a free subscription to Napster-To-Go for 30 days. I can download an unlimited amount of songs with it for those 30 days.

Evil Empire
10-24-05, 10:20 AM
When I got the Zen Micro, there was a card in the box giving me a free subscription to Napster-To-Go for 30 days. I can download an unlimited amount of songs with it for those 30 days.

Sweet deal because then MHHL won't get on you for illegial downloading ;)

Buckeye Yank
10-24-05, 10:21 AM
Sweet deal because then MHHL won't get on you for illegial downloading ;)
LMFAO............... :roflmao:

NYYfan24
12-27-05, 12:52 PM
New toy is a LYRA sport digital audio player.........I never heard of it before but my boyfriend sent me one. It's really interesting....I can track my pulse, calories burned, lap time and workout time plus it holds about 160 songs and had a digital FM radio.

Do you have trouble downloading music from itunes to your LYRA? My son says that the LYRA is an MP3...and itunes is MP4? Don't know anything about it...

Anyone have a download suggestion for converting these files?

chanman7483
12-27-05, 01:07 PM
Anyone run into similiar problems?

My friend brought her Ipod over to my house to get some music from me but it wouldn't let us do it unless everything on her Ipod was erased and the hard drive reformatted. Ever happen to anyone else/ possible solutions?

Hitman23
12-27-05, 01:12 PM
Just as an update.... I've have my Creative Zen Touch for a while now. No problems at all. As long as you do the maintenance required to keep it running smooth. (defrag).

The only issue I have with it is the scrolling mechanism. It's a little annoying because I over-scroll, even on the least sensative setting.

Overall, well worth the $$$. I have almost 4000 songs on it, and it's not even half full.

NY11
12-27-05, 05:03 PM
Question..got Ipod Nano for xmas :) Anyway, once you have a song on your Ipod is the only way to delete it is from Itunes? My nephew dowloaded some songs from my Itunes and got some of my music and he wants to remove it without taking it from Itunes and resyncing.

Thanks for your help! :)
Cathy

chanman7483
12-27-05, 06:03 PM
Question..got Ipod Nano for xmas :) Anyway, once you have a song on your Ipod is the only way to delete it is from Itunes? My nephew dowloaded some songs from my Itunes and got some of my music and he wants to remove it without taking it from Itunes and resyncing.

Thanks for your help! :)
Cathy

I think so yes... I just turn the auto-sync feature off

Buckeye Yank
12-27-05, 06:45 PM
The only issue I have with it is the scrolling mechanism. It's a little annoying because I over-scroll, even on the least sensative setting.

Overall, well worth the $$$. I have almost 4000 songs on it, and it's not even half full.
4000 songs? You sir are a freak!!! Note to self...hunt Steve down and "borrow" the Zen Touch

And FWIW - our Zen Micro is the same way. Did you get the 2 yr support?

WCNYY
12-28-05, 12:16 AM

Bumping this up because my brother, not knowing that my parents were going to get me the Ipod Nano, got me a new car stereo with a CD player. I went out and got the Griffin iTrip and it's not really working in Wallingford. We live near Gaylord rehab hospital (about 10 minutes from Quinnipiac University) and their signals are always messing with stuff at our house so I'm not sure if the problem is Gaylord or the itrip. Once school starts I'm going to be in the Hartford area.
So I'm wondering if I got the right iTrip or is there a better one out there for the iPod Nano?

Casey at the Bat
12-28-05, 01:06 AM
Bumping this up because my brother, not knowing that my parents were going to get me the Ipod Nano, got me a new car stereo with a CD player. I went out and got the Griffin iTrip and it's not really working in Wallingford. We live near Gaylord rehab hospital (about 10 minutes from Quinnipiac University) and their signals are always messing with stuff at our house so I'm not sure if the problem is Gaylord or the itrip. Once school starts I'm going to be in the Hartford area.
So I'm wondering if I got the right iTrip or is there a better one out there for the iPod Nano?

The problem is the iTrip. It kinda sucks. If you hve no other options and HAVE to use the iTrip, one of the tricks people use to get better reception is removing their car antennas when using the itrip. No antenna makes reception worse, except for the strongest and closest signals... such as the iTrip.

WCNYY
12-28-05, 09:01 AM
The problem is the iTrip. It kinda sucks. If you hve no other options and HAVE to use the iTrip, one of the tricks people use to get better reception is removing their car antennas when using the itrip. No antenna makes reception worse, except for the strongest and closest signals... such as the iTrip.
Thanks. I'll try that

Hitman23
12-28-05, 09:36 AM
4000 songs? You sir are a freak!!! Note to self...hunt Steve down and "borrow" the Zen Touch

And FWIW - our Zen Micro is the same way. Did you get the 2 yr support?Well, I have about 400 cds. Just with an average of 10 songs a cd that's still 4K songs. And the average is more liek 12 or 13. But I cherry picked many of them. Plus, I have at least 20 or so CDs I wish I didn't. :lol:

Add that to the countless hours on Limewire downloading rare/unreleased/b-sides/live tracks, plus a few albums I wanted but didn't want to splurge for, I have a nice little juke box going. :D

No one borrows my MP3 player. Not even my wife.

NYYfan24
12-28-05, 09:41 AM
Do you have trouble downloading music from itunes to your LYRA? My son says that the LYRA is an MP3...and itunes is MP4? Don't know anything about it...

Anyone have a download suggestion for converting these files?

I never quoted myself before...

Just wanted to bump this down. Hope someone can help!

Thanks

boo_427
12-28-05, 10:13 AM
Just as an update.... I've have my Creative Zen Touch for a while now. No problems at all. As long as you do the maintenance required to keep it running smooth. (defrag).

Well, I have about 400 cds. Just with an average of 10 songs a cd that's still 4K songs. And the average is more liek 12 or 13. But I cherry picked many of them. Plus, I have at least 20 or so CDs I wish I didn't. :lol:

Add that to the countless hours on Limewire downloading rare/unreleased/b-sides/live tracks, plus a few albums I wanted but didn't want to splurge for, I have a nice little juke box going. :D

Steve,

I totally forgot about this thread. I got the Creative Zen Touch 20 gig back around Thanksgiving for my birthday. I have over 2,000 on it right now and still have have half the memory left. But, I still have about 200 cds to go through as well as the countless live shows.

Do you convert them over to mp3 or wma?

And what is this defrag function you speak of? Is that after you remove songs for the Zen itself?

By the way, I agree with the touch pad, I have it on the slowest sensitivity and I still overshoot. Can be dangerous while driving.

Hitman23
12-28-05, 10:22 AM
Do you convert them over to mp3 or wma?Always MP3. Don't know why, just did that to start off with and just wanted to remain constant.

And what is this defrag function you speak of? Is that after you remove songs for the Zen itself?You should defrag if you're making changes at all. Even if you're adding songs or just renaming an album. I do it about once every other week.

What you do is hold down the play button, hit the reset button (the little hole on the side). Wait for it to reboot still holding the play button. It will go to a maintenance menu. You shold be able to find the defrag option in that menu.

Be careful what you do though. Hitting the wrong menu could erase your player. Also, when you get a chance, back your entire player up on another hard drive and download the updates on the site.
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=ZEN+Touch&Product_ID=10274&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&Image4.x=27&Image4.y=12
You'll need to back it up because any software updates erases your drive.

By the way, I agree with the touch pad, I have it on the slowest sensitivity and I still overshoot. Can be dangerous while driving. But you can't help still doing it, right? I know the feeling. I have to force myself to pay attention. :lol:

boo_427
12-28-05, 10:28 AM
Thanks, you are a little further along in the process and it helps to have someone already who's already done this.

I haven't defragged or backed up anything yet...:eek:

Definitely need to look into that tonight.

I really love this thing, I drove 5 hrs home and 5 hrs back and never heard the same song twice on random.

Hitman23
12-28-05, 10:34 AM
Thanks, you are a little further along in the process and it helps to have someone already who's already done this.

I haven't defragged or backed up anything yet...:eek:

Definitely need to look into that tonight.

I really love this thing, I drove 5 hrs home and 5 hrs back and never heard the same song twice on random.backing up is a good idea, but not necessary. I haven't done it either yet. I need to get another hard drive for my PC just for that so I can do the software updates. My HD is almost full.

But I do defrag regularly. For about a week I had trouble with it locking up during shut-down. Once I started to defrag it, that stopped.

I take it everywhere with me. It definately makes long drives seem alot shorter.

penfold
12-28-05, 12:30 PM
External hard drives are finally getting cheaper. I'd recommend one of those, Steve... that way you can easily access your music backups even if you upgrade computers.

BTW, what program did you use to burn all of your CD's? I'm in the process of turning my 300+ CD's into mp3's... Trying to do it alphabetically and I only just finished getting through the Beatles.

Hitman23
12-28-05, 12:49 PM
External hard drives are finally getting cheaper. I'd recommend one of those, Steve... that way you can easily access your music backups even if you upgrade computers.

BTW, what program did you use to burn all of your CD's? I'm in the process of turning my 300+ CD's into mp3's... Trying to do it alphabetically and I only just finished getting through the Beatles.yeah that's my plan. An external hard drive. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm looking to upgrade my computer anyway. I will when i get that done.

I don't burn them. I rip them (if that's what you meant) with the software that the Zen Touch came with. It's called Nomad I think.

penfold
12-28-05, 12:54 PM
yeah that's my plan. An external hard drive. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm looking to upgrade my computer anyway. I will when i get that done.

I don't burn them. I rip them (if that's what you meant) with the software that the Zen Touch came with. It's called Nomad I think.
d'oh-de-d'oh-de-d'oh
I'm sorta kinda in orbit today...
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Maybe when my brain returns to earth, I'll be able to talk & type clearly.

Hitman23
12-28-05, 12:55 PM
d'oh-de-d'oh-de-d'oh
I'm sorta kinda in orbit today...
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Maybe when my brain returns to earth, I'll be able to talk & type clearly.it's alright. until I got this thing I had no idea what the hell to do. countless hours of research and asking dumb questions. :lol:

Buckeye Yank
12-28-05, 12:56 PM
I was using the term "borrow" loosely. ;) We're going to need to discuss Limewire. I had loaded Napster-To-Go for the 60 day free trial / unlimted song download. Little did I know that after the free trial (which I canceled), the songs no longer work. So now I've downloaded Limewire. No problem downloading songs but I can't figure out how to get them on the Zen. But to be honest, I spent about 10-15 minutes trying.

Hitman23
12-28-05, 01:00 PM
I was using the term "borrow" loosely. ;) We're going to need to discuss Limewire. I had loaded Napster-To-Go for the 60 day free trial / unlimted song download. Little did I know that after the free trial (which I canceled), the songs no longer work. So now I've downloaded Limewire. No problem downloading songs but I can't figure out how to get them on the Zen. But to be honest, I spent about 10-15 minutes trying.You gotta find the folder they are stored in. After you download a song, do a search on your hard drive for that song. Then when you find the folder, create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Then, whenever you d/l, you'll have easy access to copy and paste. From there you should know what to do.

Buckeye Yank
12-28-05, 01:17 PM
You gotta find the folder they are stored in.
That right there was the whole crux of the problem. Of course I was doing the "Explorer" manual look versus the actual "search" function. I was tired....frustrated....and that was way too obvious. :(

Hitman23
12-28-05, 01:19 PM
That right there was the whole crux of the problem. Of course I was doing the "Explorer" manual look versus the actual "search" function. I was tired....frustrated....and that was way too obvious. :(don't feel bad, took me a while to figure it out also. :lol:

jnewmark
12-29-05, 09:11 AM

I really believe it's the area you live in as to how good the FM transmitters work with portable devices. I had itrip and a few other like devices hooked up to my Ipod,( Radio Shack makes one ), and all of them worked in certain areas around my town,and then faded in and out,causing loud static in other areas. I also had the XM radio portable player that was absolutely horrible in my area when used with the clip on antenna. I would turn my head a certain way and it would lose all signal. The only time it worked right was when I hooked it up to my stereo and used the larger antenna,which, of course, defeats the whole purpose of the device. I wound up selling it on Ebay.

Casey at the Bat
12-29-05, 11:05 AM
I really believe it's the area you live in as to how good the FM transmitters work with portable devices.

You're right about location affecting the iTrip. More stations in your area means less open airwaves for the itrip to work... and that stinks. I have always maintained that the itrip should be used as a last resort because of this. I use it myself at times, but sometimes it is just less frustrating to listen to the radio instead.

most new stereos these days have either an aux in, or a cd-changer port that can be used as an aux in port to which they can connect their mp3 player to. Using that method would be the best way to connect your ipod to a car stereo system.

Hitman23
12-29-05, 11:09 AM
If you have a retractable antenna, lower it half way. You get a crappy radio signal but crystal clear MP3 play. That's what I do.

WCNYY
12-29-05, 12:08 PM
most new stereos these days have either an aux in, or a cd-changer port that can be used as an aux in port to which they can connect their mp3 player to. Using that method would be the best way to connect your ipod to a car stereo system.
OK this is the stereo he bought me http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_149159441,00.html
I don't know if I can do that.
Edit: I opented up the box for the owners manual and it looks like I'm stuck with an iTrip

Casey at the Bat
12-29-05, 12:25 PM
OK this is the stereo he bought me http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_149159441,00.html
I don't know if I can do that.
Edit: I opented up the box for the owners manual and it looks like I'm stuck with an iTrip
I took a look at the owners manuals and installalation manuals, and I agree, it looks like you are stuck with the itrip. Lower the antenna and hope for the best!

good luck

WCNYY
01-03-06, 10:59 AM
Update and FYI for anyone with an iPod Nano:
It was not the iTrip it was the Nano. When I got the iTrip I also bought a docking station, just so the ipod was standing up and not flat where I am likely to break it. I tried hooking up my speakers to the docking station and the sound sucked but it was fine when I plugged the speakers directly into the ipod. The nano has it's headphone jack at the bottom (next to where the USB cable goes in) and likes having something plugged into it for good sound. The docking station does not have anything to plug into the head phone jack and neither does the griffin itrip (both plug in where the USB would go).
So Sunday there were hardly any customers in the store so I got to walk around putting returns away. I had some gell cases for the ipods to bring to electronics and figured I'd look around to see what we had for accessories. Belkin makes a FM transmitter for iPod and other MP3 players that plugs into the headphone jack. It works great and my brother is happy because now he can hook his MP3 player up to the new stereo.

boo_427
01-03-06, 12:16 PM
Belkin makes a FM transmitter for iPod and other MP3 players that plugs into the headphone jack. It works great and my brother is happy because now he can hook his MP3 player up to the new stereo.

I have the Belkin Tunecast II and haven't had any problems.

Hitman23
01-03-06, 12:18 PM
I have the Belkin Tunecast II and haven't had any problems.So do I. And it does work well. The only issue I have with the FM transmitter is that you lose volume. My stock stereo in my car is a POS. This doesn't help any.

boo_427
01-03-06, 12:24 PM
So do I. And it does work well. The only issue I have with the FM transmitter is that you lose volume. My stock stereo in my car is a POS. This doesn't help any.

My car stereo bites too. I am always having to change channels for better reception because my car stereo get poor reception in general. But, the only other option is a tape adapter that plugs into my tape deck.

Hitman23
01-03-06, 12:26 PM
My car stereo bites too. I am always having to change channels for better reception because my car stereo get poor reception in general. But, the only other option is a tape adapter that plugs into my tape deck.I noted this earlier in the thread. This works 100% of the time for me. I have a retractable antenna. I push it down halfway. You'll get almost no radio reception that way, clearing the air for your transmitter.

Casey at the Bat
01-03-06, 05:20 PM
My car stereo bites too. I am always having to change channels for better reception because my car stereo get poor reception in general. But, the only other option is a tape adapter that plugs into my tape deck.

The tape adapter sound is better than any of the fm transmitter devices. I usually go tape adapter in my work vehicles before I use the fm transmitter. Plus it is usually cheaper.

griffin makes a tape adapter that allows you to control the ipod from the cassette tape controls on the radio. I havn't tried it myself, but sounds pretty cool.

bnorris85
01-03-06, 05:25 PM
Ahhh the joys have having a radio with auxilary imputs :)

bnorris85
01-03-06, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah i have a 60gb ipod and nothin bad to report so far....however i did have to return a 40gb one i bought on ebay like 4 months ago...the touch wheel wasnt working correctly...but that was probably my fault for buying on ebay, good thing the ebay seller had a return policy.

I bought my girlfriend the creative zen micro and it seems to work pretty well. I like how it is easy to delete songs off of the player. I also like the fact that it has a fm radio option and a removable battery so you dont have to send it back if it fails.