PDA

View Full Version : Question about pitcher substituions

Yankeeah
08-15-05, 11:12 AM
I would assume this belongs in ATM, move if nessecary.

Anyway, remember last year, when the Yanks were killing the Jays. I believe Frank Mennechino came into pitch. Recently discussing this, I thought of something.

Lets just say Tanyon Sturtze is pitching, Giambi's on first and the Yankees are up 2 in the 8th. He retires Manny Ramirez. Trot Nixon is now up, and he owns Sturtze. The Yankees want to bring in a lefty. They bring in Wayne Franklin. But they don't want to lose Sturtze, because Kevin Millar is on deck, and he hasn't seen much of Sturtze. So can the Yankees put Tanyon as the 1st baseman, and then after Trot's at-bat, put Tanyon back in as pitcher?

cubswin
08-15-05, 11:14 AM
yes, they can do that

I don't think there are any restrictions on subbing on-field players as the pitcher, except perhaps a restriction on multiple switches during the same AB

S2
08-15-05, 11:28 AM
I think that instead of moving Sturtze to 1st, they could move him to DH and then switch him back after Nixon bats. They would lose the DH, but wouldn't have to have Sturtze play 1B.

Evil Empire
08-15-05, 11:29 AM
I believe the rule is if the pitcher or DH has to play the field, you lose the DH. I'm not positive.

jeterjuice
08-15-05, 11:31 AM
I believe the rule is if the pitcher or DH has to play the field, you lose the DH. I'm not positive.

Yup.

baseball almanac:

Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.