PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices soaring/now falling (Mod)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

JfromJersey
08-13-05, 11:49 AM
Pretty soon a gallon of regular will cost as much as lunch at the local diner.
When will it end?

Sam2448
08-13-05, 11:57 AM
The gas station right across the street from me has now exceeded 3 bucks a gallon for regular. It costs more than 40 bucks to fill up now :(

yankeesAZ
08-13-05, 11:58 AM
When will it end?

Not anytime soon. We'll be lucky to see anything under $2 again and even if we do the price will not stay under $2 for very long. So we better get used to it.

cubhater
08-13-05, 12:00 PM
When will it end?

I hate the prices just as much as the next guy, but remember, gas is a lot cheaper here than in many other countries.

Do whatever you can to conserve gas like keeping the car tuned up, tires properly inflated, don't carry unnecessary items in the vehicle, take public transportation, etc. Walk or ride a bike for nearby errands.

cubhater
08-13-05, 12:01 PM
The gas station right across the street from me has now exceeded 3 bucks a gallon for regular. It costs more than 40 bucks to fill up now :(

We're right behind you. Premium just topped three bucks in Chicago.

NYRSkate
08-13-05, 12:08 PM
As long as people keep driving as much as they are, you'll see it go up. One surefire way to decrease demand is to use nuclear weapons on foreign population centers. Don't think Bush hasn't had this cross his mind.

chanman7483
08-13-05, 12:15 PM
Overnight, one of the gas stations across the highway from my house went up 10 cents to 2.45... the exxon across the street is at 2.34. I just filled up knowing that the exxon would be following suit shortly... ugh.

thank god I take the bus to work.

PinstripePride
08-13-05, 12:36 PM
$2.59 for regular here. Costs me $54 to fll her up.

nyyfanatic85
08-13-05, 01:04 PM
$2.59 for regular here...I'm so glad I have an economy car.

Sam2448
08-13-05, 02:25 PM
Wow, I wish I could still get gas for 2.59.

The cheapest place within 15 minutes of my house is 2.78. Most of the places are around 3 bucks a gallon.

Danmel
08-13-05, 02:44 PM
I bought gas on Thursday for $2.49/9. Yesterday at the same gas station, it was $2.59/9! It went up 10cents a gallon overnight! I haven't been by there today- but I'm glad I have a Camry and not an SUV.

YankeePride1967
08-13-05, 02:46 PM
Too much demand, too many SUVs and other vehicles getting piss poor gas mileage.

Big_E
08-13-05, 02:49 PM
The big problem is China. In each of the last 3 years, car sales in China have increased 25%. They used to fill all their oil needs domestically, and now are forced to import some. As China's needs grow, the price of oil will continue to rise. Next year we'll be longing for the good old days of $2.50 a gallon.

krystl
08-13-05, 02:54 PM
Wow, I wish I could still get gas for 2.59.

The cheapest place within 15 minutes of my house is 2.78. Most of the places are around 3 bucks a gallon.
I'm in Westchester too (northern) and there is gas to be found here for $2.59, but most of the stations near me are at $2.75 as of today.

I think historically, gas always goes a bit higher in the summer. I doubt it'll drop much if at all, at the end of the summer, but we'll see.

Nome
08-13-05, 03:01 PM
Pretty soon a gallon of gas will cost more than four quarts of bottled water. Criminal
Andy :D

cubswin
08-13-05, 05:16 PM
The big problem is China.....

you mean, the big problem aside from us? :)

YankeePride1967
08-13-05, 05:37 PM
The big problem is China. In each of the last 3 years, car sales in China have increased 25%. They used to fill all their oil needs domestically, and now are forced to import some. As China's needs grow, the price of oil will continue to rise. Next year we'll be longing for the good old days of $2.50 a gallon.

While that is part of the issue, even if OPEC were able to say "we will send TWICE the amount of oil the US needs" to meet current demand it wouldn't do a thing. We don't have the refinary capacity to keep up with demand.

NYYBombshell
08-13-05, 05:38 PM
$2.59 for regular here. Costs me $54 to fll her up.

What the hell kind of car do you drive that it takes $54 to fill it up?

It only costs my sister about $26 dollars at the most.

RSoxHater
08-13-05, 06:03 PM
It is around 2.74 for premium here in Northern Virginia. Costs about $65 to fill the car.

YankeePride1967
08-13-05, 06:11 PM

some SUVs cost north of $75 to fill.

NYDCYankee
08-13-05, 07:01 PM
Gas is $64 a barrell right now, it was at 50 earlier this year and i have heard reports it could go up to 75 before this is all over.

IronCaballo4
08-13-05, 07:15 PM
This is really depressing me. On Wednesday I have to drive down to NC for school, a 12 hour drive, the money I'm gonna be shelling out for gas is gonna KILL me :(

Bernie51
08-13-05, 07:27 PM
I can't believe it. Jersey gas prices have caught up with New York's.

Jete&Tino42
08-13-05, 07:46 PM
It cost me $38.50 to fill my tank up today. :(

wexy
08-13-05, 07:51 PM
I have to drive down to Baltimore for a wedding next week. Oil companies are still making huge profits.

YankeePride1967
08-13-05, 08:03 PM
I'm half considering topping off each day as I'm afraid it will go up too much in the time it takes my tank to empty.

cubswin
08-13-05, 08:31 PM
What the hell kind of car do you drive that it takes $54 to fill it up? ....

some SUVs cost north of $75 to fill.

Gas cost me over $3/gal the other day. I'd think many SUVs cost at least $75. My car (not SUV) was $50+ to fill the other day, and would be $60+ right now if it were empty.

I actually think it's a good thing, though.

NYYFAN
08-13-05, 09:39 PM
Too much demand, too many SUVs and other vehicles getting piss poor gas mileage.

Oil companies just had their best quarter in their history....its not all supply and demand, its oil companies gouging...

NYYFAN
08-13-05, 09:41 PM
I really feel sorry for the workers making minimum wage. It has to be killing them...

NYYFAN
08-13-05, 09:45 PM
If you are car shopping, here are some top mileage vehicles:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasmileage/

PinstripePride
08-13-05, 10:16 PM

Explorer.

IronCaballo4
08-13-05, 10:54 PM
I drive a 2003 Cavalier and I haven't had a full tank of gas in forever. It costs about $15-$20 for half a tank

yankeesAZ
08-13-05, 11:22 PM
Oil companies just had their best quarter in their history....its not all supply and demand, its oil companies gouging...

There's definitely some high fives going on at Exxon, Texaco, and others and I'll just leave it at that.

krystl
08-13-05, 11:48 PM

Any car with an 18 gallon or better gas tank.
How many gallons is your sister's car...10 gallons? Either that or where she lives gas hasn't reached the $2.75 + mark.

nyyfanatic85
08-14-05, 12:13 AM
I'm curious as to how this will affect the economy. So, quick question: Are gas prices going to stop you from buying what you normally do? Will you cut costs anywhere? Have higher gas prices slowed you down?

cubswin
08-14-05, 12:28 AM
I'm curious as to how this will affect the economy. So, quick question: Are gas prices going to stop you from buying what you normally do? Will you cut costs anywhere? Have higher gas prices slowed you down?

no, no, no

RSoxHater
08-14-05, 01:02 AM

The answer is no to all three questions. Even if I were to take the car in every day, which I do not because rush hour traffic makes the subway faster and as a bonus my employer also pays for the subway, I would still only drive 14 miles roundtrip. The cost of the gas would actually be less than what I would pay for the metro.

yankeesAZ
08-14-05, 01:08 AM

Not really, but it could mean one less lunch or dinner out per week, one less frivolous expense per week or perhaps one less unnecessary trip to the grocery store. Good for me, bad for the business lost out. I pretty much rule out any spur of the moment day trips as round trip gas costs thoughts before I even leave the house stops the planning, but I still get out there for the more planned ones. I imagine a similiar scenario plays out in other households. It would be even worse if I had an SUV. No, I don't buy dailly lattes or $3 bottled water either in case that argument comes up somewhere.

I already use public transportation for work, which I am forced into anyway as it would cost me a fortune to park my car daily. So saving gas is just one more added benefit. My g/f has to drive.

Does it stop my life? No, but I could have found a lot more uses for that extra $30-40/month we cough up.

Then there's hidden costs of other items that have gone up in price due to fuel costs.

RhodyYanksFan
08-14-05, 01:21 AM
As long as people keep driving as much as they are, you'll see it go up. One surefire way to decrease demand is to use nuclear weapons on foreign population centers. Don't think Bush hasn't had this cross his mind.

Why would he? He is probably making more money off his family's energy holdings a month then he does as President all year.

There's definitely some high fives going on at Exxon, Texaco, and others and I'll just leave it at that.

And Halliburton...

I think eventually it will come to a point where the government can't ignore it as a work of capitalism. The problem with fuel is that it affects everything. Even if you don't drive to do the stuff you used to, or to go buy things you normally do, the stuff you buy was still brought to the market by some form of fuel. If it keeps rising like this, the price of everything will rise so much that the government will have to step in some way to help.

Stupid Flanders
08-14-05, 05:52 AM
$3.15 a gallon here. And nobody seems to have any inclination to come up with a solution

nhyankeefan
08-14-05, 06:05 AM

It's amazing how quickly an increase in the price of a barrel of oil translates into higher prices at the pumps. When the price of oil decreases (at least when it used to decrease) it takes a lot longer for the price at the pumps to return to their prior level.

nhyankeefan
08-14-05, 06:10 AM

On the news the other day I saw some gas station owners complaining about how the high prices hurt them. Their reasoning being that people spend less in the mini-marts attached to gas stations when gas prices are high and the profit margin on those items is higher than gas.

DrNick
08-14-05, 06:22 AM
Im so glad I no longer have my pick-up (26 gallon tank) :eek:

Filled up this morning for $38 at 2.59 for reg

WebsterMulligan
08-14-05, 09:03 AM
I have been commuting to work on my motorcycle (90 miles round trip daily). It normally costs me approximately $25 per week.

I hope that prices fall by the time winter comes.

PinstripePride
08-14-05, 09:49 AM
$3.15 a gallon here. And nobody seems to have any inclination to come up with a solution

*Sigh* We aren't too far away from that over here.

BoSox37
08-14-05, 10:10 AM
It was only $2.41 for regular when I filled up yesterday, but they were in the process of changing the signs while I was there. I drive a lot and I have to fill up at least once a week, sometimes twice. This is getting ridiculous.

yankeesAZ
08-14-05, 11:15 AM
It was only $2.41 for regular when I filled up yesterday, but they were in the process of changing the signs while I was there. I drive a lot and I have to fill up at least once a week, sometimes twice. This is getting ridiculous.

I remember last year that some stations had a shortage of 2's. I wonder if they stocked up on 3's this year?

ruthianblast
08-14-05, 02:00 PM
Whoo Hoo found a $2.29 in good old C-bus, filled up and had a can in thr trunk as well, sweeeeettttt!

nyyfanatic85
08-14-05, 02:01 PM
Whoo Hoo found a $2.29 in good old C-bus, filled up and had a can in thr trunk as well, sweeeeettttt!

Ahhhh, the good old days of $2.29.... :D

yanksrule69
08-14-05, 02:06 PM
Cost me very close to $60 to fill up my car yesterday. It really is ridiculous. Unfortunately, seems like we just have to get used to it.

Bernie51
08-14-05, 05:08 PM
I remember during June the gas prices in Jersey were below $2.00 a gallon. Ah, the good ol' days.

Little Big Sheff
08-14-05, 06:20 PM
I actually think it's a good thing, though.

Yup, at some point, market prices will make people change their ways.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
08-14-05, 06:47 PM

So is that opinion based on any analysis, or simply emotional response? And what is the maximum allowable profit for an oil company, or any company for that matter? What's acceptable and not?

And how about milk producers? Or egg sellers? Or furniture manufacturers? All products that, over time, are likely to have increased at a much greater rate than gasoline.

There are many components to the price of a gallon of gasoline. Many of them have to do with silly regional politics designed to produce niche markets for various senators' home states (think ethanol/corn as one example). Seasonal/regional blends are another. If we really want to examine gasoline prices, are we prepared to end the silly regulations that do nothing than add to the price of gasoline in the name of supporting local producers?

RSoxHater
08-14-05, 06:53 PM
So is that opinion based on any analysis, or simply emotional response? And what is the maximum allowable profit for an oil company, or any company for that matter? What's acceptable and not?

And how about milk producers? Or egg sellers? Or furniture manufacturers? All products that, over time, are likely to have increased at a much greater rate than gasoline.

There are many components to the price of a gallon of gasoline. Many of them have to do with silly regional politics designed to produce niche markets for various senators' home states (think ethanol/corn as one example). Seasonal/regional blends are another. If we really want to examine gasoline prices, are we prepared to end the silly regulations that do nothing than add to the price of gasoline in the name of supporting local producers?

Case in point:

RhodyYanksFan
08-14-05, 06:57 PM
Case in point:

Where's that pump?? 1.35 a gallon ;)

cubswin
08-14-05, 06:59 PM

Funny thing is, at some point when gas was $1.35, you know people were bitching about it.

When did some people seem to get the idea that cheap gas is some kind of birthright?

yankeesAZ
08-14-05, 07:01 PM

When oil companies have made more money than even they know what to do with, IMO may have reached that maximum profit point, but sky's the limit for them. Gas gets a more emotional response, since most people do have to use it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8646744

RSoxHater
08-14-05, 07:06 PM

As clearly stated those are the 2002 average price. The percentage breakdown is still fairly valid. It is meant as an average view, as BoSoxGuy stated it varies somewhat from state to state in terms of taxes and regulations and other costs associated with the supply chain. In Europe the taxes can be as high as 60-80% of the total cost, thus why it is so much more expensive there, gas can reach as high as $5 or $6 per gallon. I don't know what you guys want. For the oil companies to subsidize the crude and operating cost increases for you? If you owned a business would you do it? Would you approve of it if you were shareholder? Sounds like a nice way to go bankrupt.

YankeePride1967
08-14-05, 07:10 PM

It doesn't help that with each passing quarter, oil companies are announcing record profits, breaking the previous quarter's mark.

cubswin
08-14-05, 07:16 PM
Maybe this will mean fewer SUVs on the road (and, therefore, fewer people who don't know how to drive their SUVs on the road) :)

RSoxHater
08-14-05, 07:57 PM
Maybe this will mean fewer SUVs on the road (and, therefore, fewer people who don't know how to drive their SUVs on the road) :)

I am all for that. :2thumbs:

yankeesAZ
08-14-05, 09:08 PM

Good, that may open up more parking spots as many never fail to stick the passenger side of the vehicle 2 feet into the spot next to them (if parked correctly it will fit into the spot other than "compact" spots) and unintentionally double park.

BrooklynBotz
08-14-05, 09:13 PM
Time to find some viable alternatives and be thankful you don't live in Europe.

yankeesAZ
08-14-05, 09:22 PM
Time to find some viable alternatives and be thankful you don't live in Europe.

Though not ready for us just yet here's some alternatives we may see:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/ap_on_hi_te/hybrid_tinkerers;_ylt=Asqea40KTBNm3cDpfcyr6VVI2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

I wounldn't mind having a modified Prius that gets 250 MPG.

YankeePride1967
08-14-05, 09:54 PM

I don't know if you are old enough to recall, but the end of the 1970's "tank" cars came due to the gas shortages of the 70's and the coming of the smaller cars of the 80's. I think at some point SUV sales are going to take a dive and it would not surprise me if now is the time.

MassNYYfan
08-14-05, 10:19 PM
Crazy how (relatively) quickly things can change. I remember being in SC for college in 1998 and paying $0.77 for a gallon of gas. Moving up here to MA, I remember having to stop in CT to fill up the moving truck and nearly puking myself at the $2.29 price tag. Saw it as low as $2.49 and as high as $2.59 while out and about today.

yankeesAZ
08-15-05, 12:06 AM
Crazy how (relatively) quickly things can change. I remember being in SC for college in 1998 and paying $0.77 for a gallon of gas. Moving up here to MA, I remember having to stop in CT to fill up the moving truck and nearly puking myself at the $2.29 price tag. Saw it as low as $2.49 and as high as $2.59 while out and about today.

That's where the gas prices hit home, when I moved up here from Phoenix, driving the gas guzzling moving truck. Gas prices were "low" (avg 1.99 in January) at that time. I never saw numbers on a gas pump so high. Gave me a lot more respect for what truckers are going through.

GimeMoMuny
08-15-05, 12:11 AM
Maybe this will mean fewer SUVs on the road (and, therefore, fewer people who don't know how to drive their SUVs on the road) :)Yes. For the moment, all of you SUV haters can be assured that you will see less of mine on the road.
:D

...But I drive mine to perfection.

cubswin
08-15-05, 12:25 AM
Yes. For the moment, all of you SUV haters can be assured that you will see less of mine on the road.
:D

...But I drive mine to perfection.

if you can drive it, it's only somewhat annoying :)

My favorites aren't people who can't park them, but instead have the same dimesnions problem on the road, so they constantly edge into the lane to their right.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
08-15-05, 06:20 AM
It doesn't help that with each passing quarter, oil companies are announcing record profits, breaking the previous quarter's mark.

So again, where is the line? What limit on earnings should you adopt? And do you want to to end the regionalism/politics component of gasoline? And what should be the "correct price" for gasoline?

GraniteYankee
08-15-05, 06:30 AM
if you can drive it, it's only somewhat annoying :)

My favorites aren't people who can't park them, but instead have the same dimesnions problem on the road, so they constantly edge into the lane to their right.

Not crazy about SUV's either - we have one because we like to take trips and we have 3 kids + all the shyte we have to haul when we do travel. I personally detest the SUV owners whom drive the same speed during wet conditions in the winter as if they were driving in dry, summer conditions. Then after the accident, the idiot wonders why his almighty 4-wheel drive did not serve him/her better.

Nome
08-15-05, 07:54 AM

Airlines will increase the fuel surcharge making flights more expensive.
Buses, cabs and limos will also increase prices because of fuel costs. Ferries will increase their fuel surcharge. I was recenlty in Nova Scotia, where the gas price is the equivalent of $3.75/gallon, and paid a fuel surcharge of $50 for the ferry crossing from Yarmouth, NS to Bar Harbor, ME

Cruise lines will increase their pricing by increasing a fuel surcharge. The price of electricity will increase as will the price of any goods shipped by boat, truck, air and train. In short, all consumer goods.

Andy

cubswin
08-15-05, 10:44 AM
Not crazy about SUV's either - we have one because we like to take trips and we have 3 kids + all the shyte we have to haul when we do travel. I personally detest the SUV owners whom drive the same speed during wet conditions in the winter as if they were driving in dry, summer conditions. Then after the accident, the idiot wonders why his almighty 4-wheel drive did not serve him/her better.

I totally understand many people having them. (In fact, I might get one at some point in the next couple years, just b/c it seems I increasingly could use one -- both for certain trips and for certain errands.) It is, mostly, the drivers -- the ones you mention, who think they're invincible, the ones I mentioned who have no sense of space, also, in contrast to the invincibles, people who drive them as if they're in Ferraris or something -- maybe this is an LA thing, but you can't imagine how many people here will come to a stop to go around puddles and sticks in their Range Rovers and Hummers...

Hitman23
08-15-05, 10:54 AM
The gas station by me is hovering between 2.67 and 2.87.

Cost me $37 to fill up my tank yesterday. :mad:

caroline331
08-15-05, 10:58 AM
I don't know if you are old enough to recall, but the end of the 1970's "tank" cars came due to the gas shortages of the 70's and the coming of the smaller cars of the 80's. I think at some point SUV sales are going to take a dive and it would not surprise me if now is the time.

I believe they already have. The problem now is the 1st generation SUVs that are now being driven by less experienced drivers (ie passed down to teenagers).... I read an article in the NY times about it about a month ago.

And one more thing I read was that pickups outsold SUVs in 2004 but their mileage is just as bad.

At this rate, my next car is a Prius

yanksrule69
08-15-05, 11:01 AM
I
At this rate, my next car is a Prius

No kidding. I'm looking into getting a new car (or SUV) partly because of gas prices but also because it's just time for a new one. The SUV I was looking at I just found out gets 8MPG. I thought my SUV was bad at 12MPG. 8? My God. Guess it is time to look at cars.

caroline331
08-15-05, 11:19 AM
well I originally wanted to get a bigger car (I drive an Escort now), epsecially looking for work in the animal welfare profession where I may have to transport pets (a large dog in my car wouldnt work). I was actually looking at small SUVs but at this rate it's Prius

yankeesAZ
08-15-05, 01:06 PM
So again, where is the line? What limit on earnings should you adopt? And do you want to to end the regionalism/politics component of gasoline? And what should be the "correct price" for gasoline?

I have no problem with any company making a profit as long as the playing field is level. The playing field is not level for the consumers. Why don't we just let the electric company charge us whatever they feel like too?

krystl
08-15-05, 01:09 PM
No kidding. I'm looking into getting a new car (or SUV) partly because of gas prices but also because it's just time for a new one. The SUV I was looking at I just found out gets 8MPG. I thought my SUV was bad at 12MPG. 8? My God. Guess it is time to look at cars.
8?? That's it? Our 30' RV gets better mileage than that! :eek:

krystl
08-15-05, 01:11 PM
well I originally wanted to get a bigger car (I drive an Escort now), epsecially looking for work in the animal welfare profession where I may have to transport pets (a large dog in my car wouldnt work). I was actually looking at small SUVs but at this rate it's Prius
Smaller SUV's like Toyota Rav 4 and Honda CRV get pretty decent mileage I think.
My Aztek gets around 18-20 MPG.

Yes, the Prius will get great mileage, but don't expect the 60 mpg the manufacturer says.

yanksrule69
08-15-05, 01:17 PM
8?? That's it? Our 30' RV gets better mileage than that! :eek:

I almost died when I found out. That is absurd.

yankeesAZ
08-15-05, 01:24 PM
Smaller SUV's like Toyota Rav 4 and Honda CRV get pretty decent mileage I think.

Yes, the Prius will get great mileage, but don't expect the 60 mpg the manufacturer says.

The car manufacturers generally inlfate the mpg numbers even the Toyota Prius. Can't imagine why? ;) Even if the numbers are correct, that assumes that your car is running perfect with properly inflated tires and no extra weight in your car. The best test is after your fill up track your milage and do your math to see the "real" mpg.

YankeePride1967
08-15-05, 01:51 PM

The point was that oil companies are profiting greatly and are part of the reason for the high prices something that is impossible to refute.

YankeePride1967
08-15-05, 01:51 PM
I have no problem with any company making a profit as long as the playing field is level. The playing field is not level for the consumers. Why don't we just let the electric company charge us whatever they feel like too?

Hey, $20 a gallon sounds good!

NYYFAN
08-15-05, 04:14 PM

If the volume of sales is about the same and the cost of price increases is passed on to the consumer then huge profits must be coming from additional mark up...basic math

I do understand futures are also driving the market and I hope those guys get burned...

cubswin
08-15-05, 04:44 PM
If the volume of sales is about the same and the cost of price increases is passed on to the consumer then huge profits must be coming from additional mark up...basic math...

Yeah, but passing it on isn't necessarily the profit-maximizing move if demand adjusts to price... if volume is staying the same, demand is relatively inelastic.

caroline331
08-15-05, 04:54 PM

my mother has a Subaru Forester (99) and it runs well and gets fairly decent gas mileage. I've driven it before and it also dosnet feel like you are driving a tank, yet I am high enough at night not to have problems with many of the luxury sedan halogens (that's another thread right there). However with gas prices, who knows

MassNYYfan
08-15-05, 10:15 PM

:wtf:

12? 8? Can I get the one without the jet engine strapped on the back? :)

Kulish29
08-15-05, 10:30 PM
I'm so happy I got my bonus check today. Now I can go use that to fill up my car.

PinstripePride
08-15-05, 10:59 PM
I almost died when I found out. That is absurd.

What new SUV gets 8? A hummer? WTF? I get 12-15 and my truck is 8 years old.

bnorris85
08-15-05, 11:05 PM
I have to use 93 octaine in my 3000gt vr4, 44.50 to fill up my tank the other day

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-15-05, 11:33 PM
I went to Baltimore on Friday, and when we left the price at our local WaWa was $2.33. Well, as we were driving down Rt. 70 on the way home today, the price had gone up to $2.43...in 3 days. :eek: Which is ok, because when we were in D.C. today the prices were like $2.75+ for regular unleaded.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
08-16-05, 07:19 AM

I didn't realize there was a gun to your head making you buy gas......

In many states you don't have a choice in providers of energy, hence a monopoly and hence price controls. Not the same in gasoline providers, all common sentiment aside.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
08-16-05, 07:23 AM
If the volume of sales is about the same and the cost of price increases is passed on to the consumer then huge profits must be coming from additional mark up...basic math

I do understand futures are also driving the market and I hope those guys get burned...

I doubt the volume is the same.

Look, there are some basic truths here: (1) compared to other products (those for which the daily prices are not displayed on giant roadside signs), gasoline has become comparatively more affordable over time. (2) Our demand increases year over year, and now global demand is rising as well. (3) Government regulations and silly protectionist policies significantly add to the cost of gasoline, why the resistance to address those? (4) Gasoline producers charge a price we are willing to pay. Why should they lower their prices if we pay them? That's a central tenant of a free economy.

yankeesAZ
08-16-05, 10:37 AM
I didn't realize there was a gun to your head making you buy gas......

In many states you don't have a choice in providers of energy, hence a monopoly and hence price controls. Not the same in gasoline providers, all common sentiment aside.

We get the great choices between $2.70 at station A, $2.72 at Station B, and wow, the bargain rate of $2.67 at Costco. Thank goodness for competition!

Bosox Guy in Chitown
08-16-05, 02:19 PM
We get the great choices between $2.70 at station A, $2.72 at Station B, and wow, the bargain rate of $2.67 at Costco. Thank goodness for competition!

Competition doesn't guarantee a price you like, only a price that is lower than what would be the case in the absence of competition. In efficient market, buyers and sellers move toward a narrow band of prices - known as the market clearing price.

In all seriousness, this country needs to start mandating economics courses. The nonsensical policies that arise from people lacking a basic understanding of econ kills us.

cubswin
08-16-05, 02:38 PM

What do you expect when they're selling a commodity?

NYYFAN
08-16-05, 03:53 PM
An economist on TV said based on current supply and demand the price of oil should be around $40 a barrel...not high $60's...

krystl
08-16-05, 03:55 PM
Unless you are filling up a huge tank, saving 3 - 5 cents a gallon isn't worth driving all over town to find cheaper gas, IMO.

RhodeyYankee2638
08-16-05, 03:57 PM
i got gas for $2.45 a gallon this morning. For you Ny'ers

http://www.newyorkgasprices.com/

NYYFAN
08-16-05, 04:19 PM
Unless you are filling up a huge tank, saving 3 - 5 cents a gallon isn't worth driving all over town to find cheaper gas, IMO.

Please tell my wife that...:lol:

Espinosa's Glasses
08-16-05, 05:30 PM
I am going to start driving up... pumping... leaving...

in MO I trust 42
08-16-05, 05:55 PM
gas prices are insane! i saw "cheap" gas today at $2.63. yikes

cubswin
08-16-05, 06:11 PM
An economist on TV said based on current supply and demand the price of oil should be around $40 a barrel...not high $60's...

who's the economist, and what was his rationale that it's where it is / not lower?

yankeesAZ
08-16-05, 06:21 PM
Competition doesn't guarantee a price you like, only a price that is lower than what would be the case in the absence of competition. In efficient market, buyers and sellers move toward a narrow band of prices - known as the market clearing price.

In all seriousness, this country needs to start mandating economics courses. The nonsensical policies that arise from people lacking a basic understanding of econ kills us.

Don't worry I had my econ class, but thanks for the lesson. I know full well that China, India, and ourselves are helping to drive up the price, but I still believe there are some political factors at play here, which I can take up in the political forum if needed.

caroline331
08-16-05, 07:29 PM

tell that to my dad. He's driven 1/2 hour plus to Jersey to get gas

krystl
08-16-05, 07:46 PM
tell that to my dad. He's driven 1/2 hour plus to Jersey to get gas
Well, Jersey is about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon, but yeah...it's a little far to save a few bucks, when it costs you gas to get there and back.

NYYFAN
08-16-05, 07:58 PM
who's the economist, and what was his rationale that it's where it is / not lower?

I didn't catch his name, but you can check with CNBC...and he was basing his statement of volume imported/exported/the amont processed and recent consummation both here and overseas...

caroline331
08-16-05, 08:39 PM
Well, Jersey is about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon, but yeah...it's a little far to save a few bucks, when it costs you gas to get there and back.

that and a $4 toll

NYYFAN
08-16-05, 08:46 PM
I've been looking for an excuse to get that motorcycle...:D

nyyfanatic85
08-16-05, 11:41 PM
Everyone better appreciate these "good old days" of $2.75 a gallon. ;) Next week when we're up to $3.25 we'll really have something to reminisce about!

krystl
08-19-05, 10:22 AM
Everyone better appreciate these "good old days" of $2.75 a gallon. ;) Next week when we're up to $3.25 we'll really have something to reminisce about!
Yeah, a far cry from the days of 68 cents a gallon. :eek:

krystl
08-19-05, 10:23 AM
I've been looking for an excuse to get that motorcycle...:D
I've been begging my husband to sell his...wanna buy it? ;)

NYYFAN
08-19-05, 12:27 PM
I've been begging my husband to sell his...wanna buy it? ;)

Why? Accidents?

thecaptain
08-19-05, 01:23 PM
Well, Jersey is about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon, but yeah...it's a little far to save a few bucks, when it costs you gas to get there and back.i paid 2.54 in jersey yesterday on my way home from the city... i saw a report on the news the the garden state parkway and new jersey turnpike have to lock there prices for 1 week as part of the deal to sell gas there.. they only change every thursday i think..... it was the lowest price the other day...the gas station on the Palisades Interstate Parkway is over 3 bucks .

PinstripePride
08-19-05, 01:42 PM
*sigh*

Paid $2.75/gal today.

PalmerGA
08-19-05, 01:50 PM
Pretty soon a gallon of regular will cost as much as lunch at the local diner.Or as much as WATER! We're beginning to feel the way the rest of the world has felt for many years... :mad:

mr. baskums
08-19-05, 02:49 PM
$2.54 at BJ's Wholesale on Wednesday this week in Syracuse. I've noticed the past few months that the lines for gas there are getting longer so people are ponying up the $35 for the membership to save about $.12 a gallon.

krystl
08-19-05, 10:34 PM
Why? Accidents?
I'm just afraid. He's a good driver on the bike, but too any people driving cars don't respect a motorcycle's right to the road. It just makes me nervous when he is out on it, which isn't much lately anyway.

Plus, I have known my share of people killed on them. :(

krystl
08-19-05, 10:39 PM
$2.54 at BJ's Wholesale on Wednesday this week in Syracuse. I've noticed the past few months that the lines for gas there are getting longer so people are ponying up the $35 for the membership to save about $.12 a gallon.
That's what cracks me up. Even if you find gas that's 10 cents cheaper than somewhere else, lets say you put 20 gallons in (if your tank is even that big). Is it worth it to save 2.00? That's only IF you find it that much cheaper. Usually it's only a difference of 3-5 cents.

I usually only put 10 bucks in at a time because I only drive around town, so for me, saving a few cents doesn't get me enough gas to warrant looking for cheaper gas.

yankeesAZ
08-19-05, 11:34 PM

I have a Costco membership and rarely get gas from there as the lines remind me of the 70's. Usually, you can find a station down the street that sells for the same price or maybe a few cents more and not have to wait in the lines. The Costco or other warehouse memberships are more valuable for the goods in the store, especially beer. Saves me $200 a year! :D

yankeesAZ
08-24-05, 09:45 PM
Hawaii sets cap on gas prices:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050825/ap_on_bi_ge/gas_prices_hawaii_caps

I don't think this will work, but I'm curious to see what happens.

nyyfanatic85
08-24-05, 10:21 PM
Gas prices are falling rapidly! :D

Stupid Flanders
08-24-05, 10:31 PM
Gas prices are falling rapidly! :D
Wait until Labor Day

chanman7483
08-24-05, 10:39 PM
2.45 across the street, down from 2.51 a week ago

krystl
08-25-05, 09:01 AM
I haven't been out yet today, but yesterday the station near my house was $2.89. That's up, not down. :(

Hitman23
08-25-05, 09:16 AM
Gas prices are falling rapidly! :DI'm still paying 2.79. where are they dropping?

yankeesAZ
08-25-05, 09:54 AM
Pretty soon, we'll be excited about $2.25/gal. Remember when we thought $1.45 was "outrageous" during the first gulf war?

nyyfanatic85
08-25-05, 09:56 AM
I'm still paying 2.79. where are they dropping?

We're down to $2.45 in bloomington, il.

thecaptain
08-25-05, 10:26 AM
We're down to $2.45 in bloomington, il.$2.75 in nyack new york

yanksrule69
08-25-05, 10:38 AM
$2.95 around here. Just cost me $58 to fill my tank. Sweeeeeeet.

Hitman23
08-25-05, 10:38 AM
We're down to $2.45 in bloomington, il.it's unfortunate that I am envious of a price like that. :lol: It costs me almost $40 to fill up my tank. And I gotta do it between 2 and 3 times a week. I have to budget gas now.

yankeesAZ
08-25-05, 10:40 AM
You may want to get a locking gas cap if you don't have one:

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-08-25-gas-cap-usat_x.htm?csp=1

Hitman23
08-25-05, 10:50 AM

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-08-25-gas-cap-usat_x.htm?csp=1thanks for giving me more hysteria. :lol:

Tal Hawkins
08-25-05, 11:37 AM

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-08-25-gas-cap-usat_x.htm?csp=1
I'm not going to take any chances...I'll probably get some locking gas caps this weekend. Gas prices in DFW are increasing every other day...in the last 3 weeks the Tom Thumb gas station by my house has gone from $2.17 to $2.61 per gallon.

tdel23
08-25-05, 03:55 PM
here is a link for stations that have the lowest prices...just click on your state

http://www.gasbuddy.com

yankeeschic12324
08-25-05, 06:07 PM
I think no one should buy gas for one day...

yankeeschic12324
08-25-05, 06:09 PM
it's unfortunate that I am envious of a price like that. :lol: It costs me almost $40 to fill up my tank. And I gotta do it between 2 and 3 times a week. I have to budget gas now.
My dad had to put in $50 to almost fill the tank the other day....crazy man!

krystl
08-25-05, 10:07 PM
it's unfortunate that I am envious of a price like that. :lol: It costs me almost $40 to fill up my tank. And I gotta do it between 2 and 3 times a week. I have to budget gas now.
Would that possible new job opportunity be any better commute-wise?

Hitman23
08-26-05, 01:46 PM
Would that possible new job opportunity be any better commute-wise?no, it would actually be worse. but it's alot more money so it's worth it.

I paid 2.69 today. woohoo!

Mezmerize
08-26-05, 01:59 PM
no, it would actually be worse. but it's alot more money so it's worth it.

I paid 2.69 today. woohoo!

2.69 is a good price? Damn. That's about as high as I've seen it round here. When I first bought my car 1.5 years ago, it cost me right about $20. Now I'm doing at least $30 for a tank. It's f*ckin bulls*it. THANKS GEORGE W!

Hitman23
08-26-05, 02:13 PM
2.69 is a good price? Damn. That's about as high as I've seen it round here. When I first bought my car 1.5 years ago, it cost me right about $20. Now I'm doing at least $30 for a tank. It's f*ckin bulls*it. THANKS GEORGE W!I've been paying anywhere between 2.79 to 2.89 all summer. 2.69 is refreshing.

Mezmerize
08-26-05, 02:42 PM
I've been paying anywhere between 2.79 to 2.89 all summer. 2.69 is refreshing.

Is that regular? Or you baby your car w/ premium? :)

Hitman23
08-26-05, 02:43 PM
Is that regular? Or you baby your car w/ premium? :)If I was using premeium (which I never did) I wouldn't be now.

It's regular.

Mezmerize
08-26-05, 02:46 PM
If I was using premeium (which I never did) I wouldn't be now.

It's regular.

Oh ok. That seems high, although in other parts of the country, people are paying over $3 so I guess it isn't all that bad. I never use premium either. I refuse to believe there is any difference in performance or maintenance due to the gas you put in your tank. You?

Hitman23
08-26-05, 02:48 PM
Oh ok. That seems high, although in other parts of the country, people are paying over $3 so I guess it isn't all that bad. I never use premium either. I refuse to believe there is any difference in performance or maintenance due to the gas you put in your tank. You?I have no idea one way or the other. Gas is gas to me. And the cheaper the better. :lol:

yankeesAZ
08-26-05, 02:58 PM
Oh ok. That seems high, although in other parts of the country, people are paying over $3 so I guess it isn't all that bad. I never use premium either. I refuse to believe there is any difference in performance or maintenance due to the gas you put in your tank. You?

Certain vehicles or engines would be better with premium, but most average cars/suvs are fine with regular.

yankeesAZ
08-29-05, 10:22 AM
Get ready for higher gas prices as a side effect of the hurricane:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_bi_ge/hurricane_katrina_oil

DontHateOnNumber2
08-29-05, 10:27 AM
It's getting ridiculous, the cheapest gas I saw yesterday was Sunoco for $2.46 for regular. It filled up a little less than 3/4 of the tank on $20.00 when it would've filled it completely about a year ago.

chanman7483
08-29-05, 10:30 AM

There was a report done on this, and there were some big differences. The companies all get their gas from the same source, but it's how they treat it and what they add to it after they get it that improve it. They showed how during the gas shortages a few decades ago, how many people were flocking to discount brand gas stations and how their engines were crapping out on them.

Try putting regular unleaded in a race car and see what happens...

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 10:34 AM

This makes me sick. Like the whole country's oil suddenly comes from the Gulf. Whenever they have anything that effects the supply of oil, prices jump overnight, but when OPEC or whatever increases production we hear "it takes time to filter down to the individual gas stations" BS.

Big_E
08-29-05, 10:35 AM
It's getting ridiculous, the cheapest gas I saw yesterday was Sunoco for $2.46 for regular. It filled up a little less than 3/4 of the tank on $20.00 when it would've filled it completely about a year ago.

$2.46? It's at least $2.70 here for 87 octane

mr. baskums
08-29-05, 10:38 AM
$2.59 this morning at BJ's Wholesale. I heard on the news before work that the price will rise by about $.10 today and more later in the week because of the holiday. If you haven't filled the tank it might be a wise idea to do it today, sooner rather than later.

Big_E
08-29-05, 10:38 AM
Try putting regular unleaded in a race car and see what happens...

Well...considering NASCAR vehicles use 110-octane, leaded gasoline (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question202.htm), I think putting 87-octane, unleaded gasoline would not work too well. ;)

chanman7483
08-29-05, 10:40 AM
Well...considering NASCAR vehicles use 110-octane, leaded gasoline (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question202.htm), I think putting 87-octane, unleaded gasoline would not work too well. ;)

Well according to "I refuse to believe there is any difference in performance or maintenance due to the gas you put in your tank"... it should work the same!

chanman7483
08-29-05, 10:42 AM

Now that I think about it, how come nascar, and any other type of race doesn't send off enviornmentalist groups? You have dozens of cars, using that type of gasoline, driving hundreds and hundreds of miles... and it's all concentrated in that one area. Hmm... is that enough to do any kind of damage to the enviornment (acid rain, blah blah)

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 10:42 AM

Maybe we shouldn't waste 180 gallons of this stuff per car, per race during these hard times. Shut NASCAR down and give the gas to those who need it for our daily lives.

Big_E
08-29-05, 10:44 AM
Now that I think about it, how come nascar, and any other type of race doesn't send off enviornmentalist groups? You have dozens of cars, using that type of gasoline, driving hundreds and hundreds of miles... and it's all concentrated in that one area. Hmm... is that enough to do any kind of damage to the enviornment (acid rain, blah blah)

Well, most of the races are in "Red States" and we don't care about them. :lol:

ChocolateGirl
08-29-05, 10:57 AM

I was just about to post something about this. You beat me to it. ;) It is going to be very interesting to see what happens starting in the month of September. :uhh:

yankeesAZ
08-29-05, 11:04 AM
This makes me sick. Like the whole country's oil suddenly comes from the Gulf. Whenever they have anything that effects the supply of oil, prices jump overnight, but when OPEC or whatever increases production we hear "it takes time to filter down to the individual gas stations" BS.

It is amazing sometimes that the price can go up at the pump the very next day even if the station still has the very same fuel that was delivered a couple days ago. You're right about falling prices.

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 11:05 AM
Well, most of the races are in "Red States" and we don't care about them. :lol:

Part of that natural selection huh? ;)

Reminds me of this genius t-shirt.

yankeesAZ
08-29-05, 11:08 AM
I was just about to post something about this. You beat me to it. ;) It is going to be very interesting to see what happens starting in the month of September. :uhh:

You will not have to wait until September. Watch how many go out and fill up today and watch the price go up the next three days.

chanman7483
08-29-05, 11:12 AM
I'm filling up today...protecting myself against the almost inevitable jump in price b/c of the damn hurricane

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 11:22 AM
I'm filling up today...protecting myself against the almost inevitable jump in price b/c of the damn hurricane

Me too...I'm goin at lunch. I hate oil. It's amazing that in 2005 we are still dependent on something as archaic (in technology terms) as the internal combustion engine. We have moved past everything that we used in the 1920's except that.

chanman7483
08-29-05, 11:25 AM
Well, I saw a BP commercial saying how they've been exploring using hydrogen to power cars... don't know how that will transfer to our gas guzzling engines

JDPNYY
08-29-05, 11:32 AM

Everyone is filling up today. Every gas station I passed had a line.

YankeePride1967
08-29-05, 11:36 AM
I think just like everything else the media is using scare tactics. Come Wednesday, everything will be normal (aka high gas prices but readily available gas).

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 11:51 AM
Well, I saw a BP commercial saying how they've been exploring using hydrogen to power cars... don't know how that will transfer to our gas guzzling engines

Hydrogen cell cars are considered the future of trasnportation. Read all about it at http://www.h2cars.biz

Basically they use hydrogen gas and combine it with oxygen in the engine to produce the power to move the car. Supposedly the only emmission is water so not only will it not use fossil fuels, it will also not emit carbon monoxide, which is what causes the greenhouse effect and is killing our planet. All good right?

Well of course it looks like our fair President wasn't entirely truthful to us when he layed out this 20 year, $1.2 billion plan for hydrogen cars in the State of the Union address.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/outfront/2003/05/ma_375_01.html

Using existing technology, hydrogen can be easily and cleanly extracted from water. Electricity generated by solar panels and wind turbines is used to split the water's hydrogen atoms from its oxygen atoms. The hydrogen is then recombined with oxygen in fuel cells, where it releases electrons that drive an electric motor in a car. What Bush didn't reveal in his nationwide address, however, is that his administration has been working quietly to ensure that the system used to produce hydrogen will be as fossil fuel-dependent -- and potentially as dirty -- as the one that fuels today's SUVs. According to the administration's National Hydrogen Energy Roadmap, drafted last year in concert with the energy industry, up to 90 percent of all hydrogen will be refined from oil, natural gas, and other fossil fuels -- in a process using energy generated by burning oil, coal, and natural gas. The remaining 10 percent will be cracked from water using nuclear energy.

yankeesAZ
08-29-05, 11:53 AM
Will Bush tap the reserves? I say no. Even if he does, I can't see it helping prices that much anyway.

Eldee5
08-29-05, 03:08 PM
You will not have to wait until September. Watch how many go out and fill up today and watch the price go up the next three days.
We won't be waiting three days. I fueled up this morning and paid $2.46 gal. That same station this afternoon is now charging $2.71! They raised the price .25 in less than eight hours. :eek: This is price gauging!

RhodyYanksFan
08-29-05, 03:14 PM
We won't be waiting three days. I fueled up this morning and paid $2.46 gal. That same station this afternoon is now charging $2.71! They raised the price .25 in less than eight hours. :eek: This is price gauging!

:barf: I feel sick.

JDPNYY
08-29-05, 03:46 PM
I just got gas. In the middle of my fill up they stopped pumping my gas, charged me for what they put in the tank, then raised the price 30 cents and continued my fill up.

tdel23
08-29-05, 03:50 PM
wow is that legal what they did???

cubswin
08-29-05, 04:08 PM
I just got gas. In the middle of my fill up they stopped pumping my gas, charged me for what they put in the tank, then raised the price 30 cents and continued my fill up.

:lol:

(you are kidding, right?)

Big_E
08-29-05, 04:08 PM
wow is that legal what they did???

Don't believe anything John says... :D

mr. baskums
08-29-05, 04:19 PM

You had me to the point that I quoted you......

and then I told myself, that John, what a jokester :lol:

JDPNYY
08-29-05, 04:46 PM
I was gonna say:

I just got gas. In the middle of my fill up they stopped pumping my gas, charged me for what they put in the tank, then raised the price, waited for me to complete a Home Equity Loan, get approved, get the check and continued my fill up.

cubswin
08-29-05, 05:09 PM
I was gonna say:

I just got gas. In the middle of my fill up they stopped pumping my gas, charged me for what they put in the tank, then raised the price, waited for me to complete a Home Equity Loan, get approved, get the check and continued my fill up.

I think that's trying too hard. What you posted is better.

Bub
08-29-05, 05:27 PM
I think that's trying too hard. What you posted is better.You don't get it, Cubswin. He's winding up for a slew of these, and they'll get more and more outrageous. Go for it, Johnny!

Danmel
08-29-05, 05:39 PM
Well, not as dramatic, but this morning I filled up at a station near my house for 2.63.9 and this afternoon is was up to $2.71.9

It is price gouging and it is disgusting.

cubswin
08-29-05, 05:42 PM
...It is price gouging ....

How so?

... it is disgusting.

Why?

JDPNYY
08-29-05, 05:44 PM
Do you have an even or odd numbered License Plate?

Danmel
08-29-05, 06:03 PM
How so?

Because there is no way the gas I bought today was in any way affected by the hurricane.

Why?

Because it is not right to jack up prices to take advantage of a natural disaster when the costs are not higher to you.

yankeeschic12324
08-29-05, 06:08 PM
We should not buy gas for one day...

Bub
08-29-05, 06:41 PM
We should not buy gas for one day...That will only work if nobody uses their car for one day.

yankeeschic12324
08-29-05, 06:48 PM
That will only work if nobody uses their car for one day.
Well... you fill up the night before, and the next day, no one fills up..lol

Bub
08-29-05, 06:51 PM
Well... you fill up the night before, and the next day, no one fills up..lolStill will have no effect. Collectively, we need to use less gas. Even that won't work in the long run though....we need alternative fuels.

yankeeschic12324
08-29-05, 06:53 PM
Still will have no effect. Collectively, we need to use less gas. Even that won't work in the long run though....we need alternative fuels.
Eh... this is true...bahhh

yankeeschic12324
08-29-05, 06:53 PM
I don't drive much out here anymore. I take the bus. I pay $17 for a whole month(pass). It's cheaper and I get to where I gotta go.

cubswin
08-29-05, 07:00 PM
Still will have no effect. Collectively, we need to use less gas. Even that won't work in the long run though....we need alternative fuels.

Unfortunately, it's easier to just complain.

Bub
08-29-05, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately, it's easier to just complain.Maybe the gas pumps will begin to malfunction because the numbers on the price wheel are spinning faster than they were designed for?

Man, we're really stretching here..........:giveup:

yankeesAZ
08-30-05, 10:59 AM
I don't drive much out here anymore. I take the bus. I pay $17 for a whole month(pass). It's cheaper and I get to where I gotta go.

$17 sounds like a great deal to me. I pay $60 for mine and consider it money well spent as I drive less than 40-50 miles a month.

JDPNYY
08-30-05, 11:03 AM
No gas for you..... NEXT!

chanman7483
08-30-05, 01:11 PM
$17 sounds like a great deal to me. I pay $60 for mine and consider it money well spent as I drive less than 40-50 miles a month.

I pay 167 a month, commuting from Jersey to Times square. It's an absolute steal consideirng the amount I would be paying for 1) Gas 2) Tolls 3) Parking 4) Maintenance on my car, for driving in.

I filled up yesterday at Exxon for 2.47. The Gulf across the street was $2.46 so I went there first, but they had run out of gas.

This morning, Gulf is at $2.59. Exxon remains at 2.47. I suspect that won't last long though, so I told everyone to fill up today...

bnorris85
08-30-05, 06:57 PM
wOOt 3.14 for 93 octaine today....then i drive down the street and the other place is at 2.89...oh well

BoSox37
08-30-05, 08:27 PM
wOOt 3.14 for 93 octaine today....then i drive down the street and the other place is at 2.89...oh well

I saw 2.84/2.94/3.04 today, at a place that was at 2.41 a week or two ago. Hurricane Katrina really made gas prices even worse, although at this point in time that is one of the last things we should be worried about.

MassNYYfan
08-30-05, 10:16 PM
WTF. Pass the normal to gas stations this morning, one has gone up 2 cents to $2.69. Going home this afternoon, most of the places right around that area. We're home about 1/2 an hour, brother-in-law calls and he's at the "cheapo" gas station and they just went up to $3.00.

Wife heads down to the station down the street, and is the last car to fill up at $2.69 before they jack theirs up, too.

:argh:

yankeesAZ
08-31-05, 12:22 AM
WTF. Pass the normal to gas stations this morning, one has gone up 2 cents to $2.69. Going home this afternoon, most of the places right around that area. We're home about 1/2 an hour, brother-in-law calls and he's at the "cheapo" gas station and they just went up to $3.00.

Wife heads down to the station down the street, and is the last car to fill up at $2.69 before they jack theirs up, too.

:argh:

$4/gallon is coming. Mark my words.

bnorris85
08-31-05, 12:34 AM
ahh i remember the good old days when gas was under a dollar. Oh wait that was when i was a sophmore in hs right before i got my licence. Now 5 years later its 3 dollars.

One of the main things im worried about is my car NEEDS 91+ octaine. Right now its 45 dollars to fill up. That sucks. I really think i need to start looking at 90's hatchback hondas. Oh ................ i just remembered i gotta drive to Baltimore in September, crap.

PinstripePride
08-31-05, 12:36 AM
$2.80 over here. Oh yea.

cubswin
08-31-05, 12:36 AM
Because it is not right to jack up prices to take advantage of a natural disaster when the costs are not higher to you.

They're not taking advantage of anything except people's willingness to pay.

yankeeschic12324
08-31-05, 01:36 AM
I pay 167 a month, commuting from Jersey to Times square. It's an absolute steal consideirng the amount I would be paying for 1) Gas 2) Tolls 3) Parking 4) Maintenance on my car, for driving in.

I filled up yesterday at Exxon for 2.47. The Gulf across the street was $2.46 so I went there first, but they had run out of gas.

This morning, Gulf is at $2.59. Exxon remains at 2.47. I suspect that won't last long though, so I told everyone to fill up today...
I just went to fill up gas here. I went to the Shamrock down the road, 2.63. The Cobblestone crap place is 2.73!!! Are they kidding me?!

yankeeschic12324
08-31-05, 01:36 AM
$4/gallon is coming. Mark my words.

I would not doubt it in the least my friend... The thing is, people would still pay it. It's ridiculous.

yankeeschic12324
08-31-05, 01:37 AM
Normally its $34 but if I have proof I am 18( or a college student), they will give it to me for $17...

yankeeschic12324
08-31-05, 01:42 AM
Is gas supposed to get ridiculously high overnight tonight? Or is this a rumor?

Regardless... I went to fill up gas tonight. Just in case...

yankeesAZ
08-31-05, 01:53 AM
Is gas supposed to get ridiculously high overnight tonight? Or is this a rumor?

Regardless... I went to fill up gas tonight. Just in case...

One TV station out here showed a station manager who was told to raise his price 23 cents tommorow and at whatever price that is, the store doesn't even make 1 cent per gallon. I don't think it will happen in one night, but as the effects of Katrina unfold we could see $4 or even worse :eek:

yankeeschic12324
08-31-05, 02:17 AM
One TV station out here showed a station manager who was told to raise his price 23 cents tommorow and at whatever price that is, the store doesn't even make 1 cent per gallon. I don't think it will happen in one night, but as the effects of Katrina unfold we could see $4 or even worse :eek:
Ah, I see. I heard it was rumored to jump up very high in the next day or 2. Has CNN or any other news station report anything new on this?

yanksrule69
08-31-05, 08:16 AM
When I went to work yesterday morning gas was $2.85. When I went out last night the same gas station was $3.19. This morning it is $2.99. :eek:

Hitman23
08-31-05, 08:18 AM
When I went to work yesterday morning gas was $2.85. When I went out last night the same gas station was $3.19. This morning it is $2.99. :eek:I got gas on Monday night so I haven't noticed but a few people mentioned they paid 3.29 today! and on top of that the cash/credit prices are different again.

YankeePride1967
08-31-05, 08:19 AM
When I went to work yesterday morning gas was $2.85. When I went out last night the same gas station was $3.19. This morning it is $2.99. :eek:

It's called faling prey to the panic and then realizing there is no need, correct the price.

NYRSkate
08-31-05, 08:43 AM
Gas at my corner station went from $2.61 on Monday afternoon, to $2.86 yesterday, to $3.19 today. I'd think that gas stations that buy on contract would be less affected than thost that buy spot shipments, since those prices are more subject to speculation and hysteria than the futures contracts are.

YankeePride1967
08-31-05, 08:44 AM
Gas at my corner station went from $2.61 on Monday afternoon, to $2.86 yesterday, to $3.19 today. I'd think that gas stations that buy on contract would be less affected than thost that buy spot shipments, since those prices are more subject to speculation and hysteria than the futures contracts are.

Within a week they will be back down when things calm down.

Pepper03
08-31-05, 08:52 AM

Cubs, do you really believe that? I'm not willing to pay $3.00, but if they all jack up prices and I need gas to get to work, what am I supposed to do?

This is gouging pure and simple. The gas that was in their tanks already is now going up overnight? C'mon.

I got my driver's license in 1979 (ugh!) right in time for the oil embargo and gas lines. It had a permanent effect on me. I have always taken into account fuel efficiency when buying cars, so even though the prices do hurt, I'm not getting killed like some people I know. Two of my least favorite neighbors went out and bought Hummers last year, I laugh everytime I see them on the road.

YankeePride1967
08-31-05, 08:55 AM

Wrong. Unless your are fortunate enough to live in a major city like NYC or LA and have a subway system, there really is little choice. Riding a bike for 30 miles each way daily is not an option. They haven't invented the car that runs on water yet. No one I work with lives near me, so tell me, what are my choices other than the car?

Pepper03
08-31-05, 09:03 AM
Riding a bike for 30 miles each way daily is not an option.

Wimp! ;)

I hear you. I have a 40 mile round-trip commute with no public transportation available either.

tdel23
08-31-05, 09:07 AM

ugh I hate when that happens, it drives me up a wall.

RhodeyYankee2638
08-31-05, 09:09 AM
I knnow i posted this a while ago in this thread, but how come no one checks the prices on the net, its so much easier and you find the cheapest price

tdel23
08-31-05, 09:12 AM
I knnow i posted this a while ago in this thread, but how come no one checks the prices on the net, its so much easier and you find the cheapest price

I try and do that as often as I can.

krystl
08-31-05, 09:17 AM
For me, it's because I'm not gonna drive a couple miles out of my way to save a few cents.

JDPNYY
08-31-05, 09:23 AM
I just saved myself a bit of time and effort.

I worked it out so my Pay Check can be direct deposited into the Gasoline Companies Bank Account. Now I just need to find a second job near home to pay the rest of the bills.

Hitman23
08-31-05, 09:24 AM
I just saved myself a bit of time and effort.

I worked it out so my Pay Check can be direct deposited into the Gasoline Companies Bank Account. Now I just need to find a second job near home to pay the rest of the bills.It's sad to have to budget gas now. It really is.

MassNYYfan
08-31-05, 09:48 AM

I saw $3.19 in Springfield this morning. One in Agawam still at $2.77, though.

yanksrule69
08-31-05, 09:51 AM

I don't know why or how but Agawam has the cheapest freakin' gas. Whenever I'm over there I get gas, doesn't matter how much I already have.

Hitman23
08-31-05, 09:52 AM
I saw $3.19 in Springfield this morning. I heard Shelbyville is cheaper....

Big_E
08-31-05, 09:55 AM
And last quarter the oil companies had record profits...

Hitman23
08-31-05, 09:57 AM
And last quarter the oil companies had record profits...shocking.....

Stupid Flanders
08-31-05, 10:05 AM
This is a bit long, but helps explain why prices are as they are. They allow reposting with a link.

http://www.fueltracker.com/newmenu/home.html?id=gougefacts&title=Gasoline+Fact+Sheet

Yes, it's locally specific, but much of it applies elsewhere in the US
Basic Facts about Gas Price Gouging:

Since 1998, UCAN, the Utility Consumers’ Action Network, has tracked retail San Diego gasoline prices at hundreds of stations weekly. Over the years, numerous experts from the oil industry have provided a broad spectrum of reasons for high gasoline prices. This document summarizes those reasons and offers a response from the perspective of UCAN.

MYTH: "The high cost of gas is due to shipping costs"

The oil industry has frequently argued that the cost of shipping gas to San Diego from refineries in LA accounts for 6 to 8¢ per gallon in additional costs. The truth is that the cost to ship gasoline through the LA/San Diego pipeline is regulated by the state of Califorina at 1.5¢ per gallon. What’s more, the pipeline must compete with over-the-road gasoline haulers. These hauling companies frequently charge much less than the pipeline company to ship fuel.

MYTH: "When oil costs more, gas always costs more"

It is not unusual for California motorists to see sharp price hikes just days after OPEC, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries raises its prices. There is little relationship between temporary OPEC price increases and the cost of gasoline. First, it takes 90 to 120 days to drill, transport and refine crude oil into gasoline. Second, more than 90% of California’s gasoline comes from West Coast drilling operations. As a result, OPEC has little impact on the real production cost of California gasoline. More troubling is the fact that when oil prices plummet, California’s gas prices barely budge, and when oil prices are increasing, the U.S. oil industry marches in lock-step with OPEC.

MYTH: "There isn't enough supply to meet demand"

Wrong. The oil industry points to extreme shortages and tight supplies as the source of California’s gasoline woes. Unfortunately, there is a significant body of evidence to suggest that California refineries tend to over-produce gasoline. A recent inquiry by United States Senator Ron Wyden of Wyoming exposed secret oil industry documents proving that major refineries have shipped specially refined California gasoline overseas in order to keep the supplies away from the profitable California market.

MYTH: "Consumers are being gouged by greedy retailers"

Not true. For most San Diego retailers, the average profit margin on a gallon of gas is between 5¢ and 15¢ per gallon. On August 4, 2003, the California Energy Commission reported that the average amount of money or “margin” made by retailers, on a gallon of gas, including the cost of marketing and shipping the gas was just 8¢ per gallon, while the refinery margin stood at 41¢ per gallon.

MYTH: "The Free Market sets prices in my city"

UCAN’s tracking of the gasoline market suggests that the market is neither free nor competitive. Unlike most commodities , the price of the same brand and grade of gasoline can be as much as 25¢ per gallon higher depending on the location of the station. This is because oil companies price their gas using "zones." A Unocal dealer across the street from another Unocal dealer can be forced to pay 10¢ more per gallon because he is in a different "zone." Oil companies claim that zone pricing allows them to be more competitive. In reality, it allows them to arbitrarily drive dealers out of business by charging higher fuel prices. It also allows them to artificially control and inflate the price of gasoline. There are numerous other examples of how oil companies are able to undermine competition and intimidate – or drive out of business – any independent gas station that attempts to compete.

MYTH: "Locally owned gas stations cause high prices"

After eight years of investigations into retail street prices, it is UCAN’s direct observation that areas where there are no independent, locally owned gas stations, the prices can be as much as 20¢ higher per gallon

MYTH: "Bumbling regulators caused this problem"

Actually, this one is true: Bureaucrats at the Federal Trade Commission have allowed merger after merger, believing oil industry claims that by making Big Oil bigger, that it would increase competition. And after all of these mergers, just five oil companies control 90% of the California’s gas supply. In fact, UCAN’s preliminary research suggests that the recent merger of British Petroleum and Arco may have served to make Arco much less competitive.

MYTH: "Pollution-fighting fuels have forced prices up"

California is notorious for having expensive pollution fighting fuel blends. Historically, huge price run-ups have been blamed on the addition of costly special additives. At this time, however, the majority of gasoline sold in California uses ethanol as its primary pollution-fighting additive. At the time of this writing (August, 2003) ethanol is cheap and readily available. In fact, refined ethanol actually costs less than gasoline. UCAN is unable to conclude that fuel blends are the key driver behind the dysfunctional retail and wholesale gasoline markets.

MYTH: "There is plenty of competition … just look at all the different brands of gas!"

On the surface, the San Diego market looks competitive: after all, there are dozens of different brands with different prices. The truth is a different story. For example, all Shell and Texaco stations are owned by the same holding company: Equilon. Another holding company, TOSCO, sets prices for all of the Union, Unocal, “76” and Circle K gast stations in San Diego. Exxon and Mobil merged recently, and every “Thrifty” station is actually owned and supplied by Arco/British Petroleum. UCAN’s statistics show that price competition in San Diego has waned as a result of the consolidation of the market.

MYTH: "Why worry ... It's only a few cents a gallon?"

Over the last decade, gas price gouging has arguably cost the San Diego economy billions of dollars. Readers should remember that just a few years ago, it was possible to buy gasoline for under $1 a gallon in San Diego. UCAN concludes that gasoline prices are being artificially inflated at the wholesale level statewide. To assess the actual cost of price gouging on the San Diego economy, UCAN averaged the weekly excess price for regular unleaded at 8.1¢ per gallon. Since San Diego uses over one billion gallons of gasoline each year, the total annual cost to the economy is roughly $87.5 million. Since there are 944,000 households in San Diego, the cost per household is nearly $100 annually. We believe this estimate is prudent and conservative.

MYTH: "Our gas is cheap compared to Europe"

The oil industry uses this argument often, stating that European prices tend to run in the neighborhood of five to ten dollars a gallon.

What they don't mention is that in Europe, gasoline is heavily taxed and the proceeds are used to build pleasant and convenient forms of public transportation. For most of us, our public transportation options are either poor or simply don't exist. The ugly truth is that for most consumers, we have few, if any meaningful transportation options other than to continue paying big oil through the hose.

Stupid Flanders
08-31-05, 10:06 AM
Also this is a great article on why the Hawaii "gas price cap" will actually cause a shortage of gas written by an economist.

http://mises.org/story/1894

YankeePride1967
08-31-05, 10:15 AM
shocking.....

And last quarter the oil companies had record profits...

And I laugh when I hear people say the oil companies aren't doing anything wrong. Who makes the money when it's this high? The oil companies!

nyyfanatic85
08-31-05, 11:54 AM
$3 a gallon here...wow.

JDPNYY
08-31-05, 11:59 AM
$3 a gallon here...wow.

Crap. That's like $12.00 a quart.

Stupid Flanders
08-31-05, 12:04 PM
$3 a gallon here...wow.
$3.29 here.

Hitman23
08-31-05, 12:17 PM
2.89 by my house. I just passed it a half hour ago. I suppose I should be happy.

Big_E
08-31-05, 12:24 PM
$3 a gallon here...wow.

Crap. That's like $12.00 a quart.

Huh???

(Or is this more of the John humor I don't get?)

mr. baskums
08-31-05, 12:34 PM
I'm glad I filled up the tank on Monday morning at $2.59. I will not be driving unless I absolutely have to.

We have not even begun to realize the impact that this is going to have on the entire U.S. economy. And it's not a matter of thinking that "people are still willing to buy gasoline at $3.00" as GoRocket mentioned unless you live in a city that has mass transit you're pretty much at the mercy of where you choose to buy your gas.

I drive for a living so I essentially have taken a paycut when the price started to go above $1.25 a gallon. There is only so much of a tax deduction that is allowed for business use of your vehicle and I believe the IRS standard for mileage reimbursement is $.40 a mile. I am getting reimbursed at a rate of $.345 a mile, barely enough to pay for the gasoline. Forget about maintenance and wear and tear.

What I'm getting at is when you go to the grocery store every product that is trucked in will increase in price. The company I work for will have to increase their price in order to make up the difference which could mean a decrease in sales of their product = possible layoffs.

Something needs to be done about it sooner rather than later.

chanman7483
08-31-05, 12:36 PM
a FIFTY cent over night jump, we're now up to 2.95

Big_E
08-31-05, 12:39 PM
I'm glad I filled up the tank on Monday morning at $2.59. I will not be driving unless I absolutely have to.

We have not even begun to realize the impact that this is going to have on the entire U.S. economy. And it's not a matter of thinking that "people are still willing to buy gasoline at $3.00" as GoRocket mentioned unless you live in a city that has mass transit you're pretty much at the mercy of where you choose to buy your gas.

I drive for a living so I essentially have taken a paycut when the price started to go above $1.25 a gallon. There is only so much of a tax deduction that is allowed for business use of your vehicle and I believe the IRS standard for mileage reimbursement is $.40 a mile. I am getting reimbursed at a rate of $.345 a mile, barely enough to pay for the gasoline. Forget about maintenance and wear and tear.

What I'm getting at is when you go to the grocery store every product that is trucked in will increase in price. The company I work for will have to increase their price in order to make up the difference which could mean a decrease in sales of their product = possible layoffs.

Something needs to be done about sooner rather than later.

I would also expect to see price increases for things made from plastic, since plastic is made from petroleum. As is Vaseline and such products. Notice in the last year the disappearance of many 2-liter bottles of soda, replaced by 1.5 liters, but at the same price.

mr. baskums
08-31-05, 12:47 PM
I would also expect to see price increases for things made from plastic, since plastic is made from petroleum. As is Vaseline and such products. Notice in the last year the disappearance of many 2-liter bottles of soda, replaced by 1.5 liters, but at the same price.

Good point. I thought the article that Stupid Flanders posted was quite telling. It is my belief that the American citizens have been getting hoodwinked for quite some time regarding the cost of gas.

Someones pockets are getting lined quite nicely and I don't believe it's only the Saudis.

cubswin
08-31-05, 01:15 PM
Cubs, do you really believe that? I'm not willing to pay $3.00, but if they all jack up prices and I need gas to get to work, what am I supposed to do?

This is gouging pure and simple. The gas that was in their tanks already is now going up overnight? C'mon.

I got my driver's license in 1979 (ugh!) right in time for the oil embargo and gas lines. It had a permanent effect on me. I have always taken into account fuel efficiency when buying cars, so even though the prices do hurt, I'm not getting killed like some people I know. Two of my least favorite neighbors went out and bought Hummers last year, I laugh everytime I see them on the road.

Absolutely. They're not forcing anybody to do anything, and they don't have a monopoly on the product. I'm not saying it's something consumers like, but we all make choices -- what kind of car we drive, where we live in work, how we travel to work and other places, etc.

(At least you had the foresight to buy fuel-efficient cars rather than Hummers. And, to be honest, I have no problem with people buying Hummers -- as long as they don't turn around and complain about how much it costs to fill the tank. When I bought a new car, I knew it got poor gas mileage. I'd have to be a fool to complain now that it costs me too much to fill up.)

cubswin
08-31-05, 01:18 PM
Wrong. Unless your are fortunate enough to live in a major city like NYC or LA and have a subway system, there really is little choice. Riding a bike for 30 miles each way daily is not an option. They haven't invented the car that runs on water yet. No one I work with lives near me, so tell me, what are my choices other than the car?

"Wrong"? So, you're not willing to pay? Because that's what I said they're taking advantage of.

...what are my choices other than the car?

live closer to where you work. You made those choices, not the oil companies.

(And if you really think that they can do whatever you want, I hope you have bought a lot of stock in them)

cubswin
08-31-05, 01:21 PM
And I laugh when I hear people say the oil companies aren't doing anything wrong. Who makes the money when it's this high? The oil companies!

Never knew that making money was wrong.

Funny, I thought that was the goal of companies.

So much for capitalism, huh?

PalmerGA
08-31-05, 01:28 PM
I topped off my tank (took 13 gals) Monday morning for $2.55 for regular. Same station, Tuesday at lunchtime - $2.77 :mad: Damned hurricane! It could be worse though... I hear they're watering-down the gas in New Orleans (sorry).

mr. baskums
08-31-05, 01:47 PM
Never knew that making money was wrong.

Funny, I thought that was the goal of companies.

So much for capitalism, huh?

It's one thing to make money, it's an entirely different matter when the market prices are being controlled by a small faction of companies.

What if everyone in town needed water but the well was controlled by one person? Would it be capitalism if the owner of the well decided to jack up the price of water beyond reason so no one could afford to pay but did anyway because they needed the water?

GraniteYankee
08-31-05, 01:48 PM
People complaining about prices and the oil companies making to much profit need to realize that for $1 of gas - 20-30% of that is federal, state and local taxes - in other words, if you pay $3 per gallon - .90 of that is taxes! You should be complaining to your lawmakers, not about the oil companies. 50% of the cost component is crude oil, the other 20% is refining, distribution and marketing. 30% in taxes people, wake up. ;)

It's also important to realize that in terms of profit margins, oil & gas companies make far less then other industries; Banking, Pharmaceuticals, Software, Health Care, Financial Service and Insurance all outpace oil and gas.

GimeMoMuny
08-31-05, 01:48 PM
$81 fill up.

$3.19 in Long Island.

mjdlight
08-31-05, 01:53 PM
People complaining about prices and the oil companies making to much profit need to realize that for $1 of gas - 20-30% of that is federal, state and local taxes - in other words, if you pay $3 per gallon - .90 of that is taxes! You should be complaining to your lawmakers, not about the oil companies. 50% of the cost component is crude oil, the other 20% is refining, distribution and marketing. 30% in taxes people, wake up. ;)

Gas taxes in the US are very low compared to most of the rest of the industrialized world.

Our roads are in barely adequate shape as it is. If you cut the gas tax, what taxes do you propose be increased to maintain the roads? Income? Property? Sales?

cubswin
08-31-05, 01:54 PM
It's one thing to make money, it's an entirely different matter when the market prices are being controlled by a small faction of companies.

What if everyone in town needed water but the well was controlled by one person? Would it be capitalism if the owner of the well decided to jack up the price of water beyond reason so no one could afford to pay but did anyway because they needed the water?

One person/company does not control all of the gasoline / oil -- several do.

If they're acting in anti-competitive ways, then the government could step in, and most likely would have before now, and they most likely would not have OK'd various mergers/acquisitions that have occurred.

If these control the price, why isn't it $4? Why would a hurricane cause the increase? They don't need any external occurrence if they can exert that kind of control without hurting demand.

(btw, my guess is that some of the price increase right now is probably (again, I'm guessing) self-fulfilling prophecy: people thought prices would go up, rushed to get gas before prices went up and, as a result, partly caused that price rise themselves.)

chanman7483
08-31-05, 01:55 PM
Gas taxes in the US are very low compared to most of the rest of the industrialized world.

Our roads are in barely adequate shape as it is. If you cut the gas tax, what taxes do you propose be increased to maintain the roads? Income? Property? Sales?

MJDLIGHT, do you have a breakdown of what percentage of $ that goes towards roads comes from the money received from gas taxes?

yankeesAZ
08-31-05, 01:56 PM

We pull the money out of our ass like we've done lately.

RhodeyYankee2638
08-31-05, 01:57 PM

Thats crazy. Is that premium, i pay $2.60 a gallon