PDA

View Full Version : Pirate rookie: 30 straight scoreless IPs...and counting

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 01:09 PM
After giving up 3 runs in the first 5 innings of his major league debut, Zach Duke ran off 26 straight IP without allowing a run.

He's pitching today in Atlanta and has put up 4 zeroes so far.

His ERA for the season: 0.77.

Not bad for a 22-year-old, 20th-round draft pick who started last season in A-ball.

Pirates-Braves (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=250801115)

costanza35
08-01-05, 01:27 PM
this guy is nasty. I remember hearing Gammons talk a lot about him at the beginning of the season and how he was gonna be the next big thing in the majors. so far, that looks true.

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 01:30 PM
Looks like I jinxed him. He gave up an RBI double in the 5th, so the streak is over at 30.

rkh5donkey
08-01-05, 01:30 PM
Well, there goes the streak. Way to jinx, PP :( :P
Seriously, I've been following this guy since the minors (for odd reasons, a friend of mine thinks he might be related to him). He's the real deal.

AustinTXHorn
08-01-05, 01:31 PM
gah...just gave up a run on an Estrada double.

The Pirates have one of the best trios of young guys in the majors between Duke, Perez, and Bay. Unfortunately, that's all it is...a trio.

b-ball-lunachick
08-01-05, 01:32 PM
wow - pretty impressive :) ...there was talk about him early. Is he a lefty?

I was glad to see Pittsburgh didn't make too many deals because they are building a decent team..I especially like their infield...did they get anything good back for Lawton?

Kceracerone
08-01-05, 01:34 PM
Looks like I jinxed him. He gave up an RBI double in the 5th, so the streak is over at 30.
It wasn't you, it was Constanza35 who mentioned that Gammons had shown him some love.

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 01:39 PM
wow - pretty impressive :) ...there was talk about him early. Is he a lefty?

I was glad to see Pittsburgh didn't make too many deals because they are building a decent team..I especially like their infield...did they get anything good back for Lawton?
They got Jody Gerut for Lawton. Eh. Gerut looked like he might be good when he first came up, but he hasn't done much since he tore his ACL. He's basically a gap hitter with not much power or speed. But he's cheaper than Lawton, so I'm sure the Pirates' ownership is thrilled.

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 01:41 PM
It wasn't you, it was Constanza35 who mentioned that Gammons had shown him some love.
:lol: That'll do it. Although I wish I could get the "and counting" part out of my thread title. :o

Speaking of good young pitchers, it sounds like Felix Hernandez, the consensus #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball, is going to get a shot soon for the Mariners.

I can't wait to see him.

PaulieIsAwesome
08-01-05, 01:46 PM
:lol: That'll do it. Although I wish I could get the "and counting" part out of my thread title. :o

Speaking of good young pitchers, it sounds like Felix Hernandez, the consensus #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball, is going to get a shot soon for the Mariners.

I can't wait to see him.

Really? That I am excited for. Please no one jinx him, I want to see this kid turn into Pedro on Bartolo Colon's frame, so Pedro with fewer injuries.

Though, I just read (and saw some pics) of a worrisome report that he throws too much with his shoulder than his body. I hope it isn't true.

PP, where did you see the report that he's going to get a shot?

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 01:52 PM
PP, where did you see the report that he's going to get a shot?
Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up. It's just sportswriter speculation at this point, in the wake of the trade deadline.

The M's likely will continue to tinker with the pitching staff. Touted 19-year-old prospect Felix Hernandez probably will be called up from Tacoma, perhaps soon.
Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002413816_maritrade01.html)

Pitching phenom Felix Hernandez’s arrival in Seattle might not be far off, and two other Tacoma pitchers – Jorge Campillo and Jeff Harris – could join the team sooner rather than later.
News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5066643p-4618459c.html)

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 02:57 PM
Duke did give up a run today -- but only 1 -- and the Pirates won 4-1.

He's now 4-0 with a 0.92 ERA after today's effort: 8.1 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 Ks.

rkh5donkey
08-01-05, 02:57 PM
Duke's final line for the day.
8.1 IP 1ER 2K 1BB
He's now 4-0 with a 0.92 ERA

It's not often that you allow 1 run over 8+ innings and your ERA goes up. :eek:

rkh5donkey
08-01-05, 02:58 PM
Duke did give up a run today -- but only 1 -- and the Pirates won 4-1.

He's now 4-0 with a 0.92 ERA after today's effort: 8.1 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 Ks.
Dammit! You beat me to it! :mad: :P

boo_427
08-01-05, 03:02 PM
This guy reminds me of a young Tom Glavine!

He has the sickest changeup for lefty I have seen in years. This guy looks really good.

keyalyn
08-01-05, 03:02 PM
wow. must suck for a pitcher when the only way your ERA goes down is with a complete game shut out.

rkh5donkey
08-01-05, 03:05 PM
wow. must suck for a pitcher when the only way your ERA goes down is with a complete game shut out.
I don't think he minds. ;)

Jace
08-01-05, 03:20 PM
Has he been striking out more people? 2Ks over 8 innings and only allowing 1 run is pretty hard to do.

Prickly Pete
08-01-05, 03:26 PM
Has he been striking out more people? 2Ks over 8 innings and only allowing 1 run is pretty hard to do.
He's not a big strikeout guy. He's got 29 Ks in 39.1 IPs so far this year, and had only 66 Ks in 108 IPs in AAA this year.

Boogiedown Bomber
08-01-05, 03:44 PM
I picked up Zach Duke on a whim, and he's turned out to be my anchor on my FB pitching staff. Talk about a lucky pick for me. If he continues pitching like this, he could be a future pitching star.

flymick24
08-01-05, 05:02 PM
it'll all average out very soon.

Stealthspy
08-01-05, 05:27 PM
wow. must suck for a pitcher when the only way your ERA goes down is with a complete game shut out.Any amount of scoreless innings would bring it down too. ;)

dkman
08-01-05, 06:27 PM
This guy reminds me of a young Tom Glavine!

He has the sickest changeup for lefty I have seen in years. This guy looks really good.

Santana?

PaulieIsAwesome
08-02-05, 09:20 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up. It's just sportswriter speculation at this point, in the wake of the trade deadline.

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002413816_maritrade01.html)

News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5066643p-4618459c.html)

It's ok. It seems like it's really true:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2005/8/1/23234/52294

BroadwayBomber55
08-02-05, 11:35 AM
I saw some of the Braves-Pirates game yesterday and Zach Duke has nasty stuff.

cubswin
08-02-05, 12:01 PM
I saw some of the Braves-Pirates game yesterday and Zach Duke has nasty stuff.

What does he throw? Somebody earlier mentioned a good change.

Somebody also said he isn't a strikeout pitcher, but prior to yesterday, he had pretty good strikeout #s.

Prickly Pete
08-02-05, 12:19 PM
What does he throw? Somebody earlier mentioned a good change.

Somebody also said he isn't a strikeout pitcher, but prior to yesterday, he had pretty good strikeout #s.
He throws a low-90s fastball (90-92 at most), a good changeup, good curveball. Frankly, none of the pitches are all that outstanding, but he has fantastic command and seems pretty poised. My guess is that he doesn't sustain the 0.92 ERA. :)

As far as his strikeout totals, they've never been very impressive. Coming into this season, he had 7.8 Ks/9 in 350 minor league innings, which isn't anything special for the minors. Just for comparison sake and since I know you're a Sox fan, look at the K-rates this year of Lester (10.1), Papelbon (8.5) or Sanchez (10.9).

And so far in 2005, Duke has put up a rate of 5.5 Ks/9 at AAA and 6.6 Ks/9 with the Pirates (29 in 39.1 IP).

gamesix1977
08-02-05, 12:25 PM
Wish I had picked him up in my fantasy league!

rkh5donkey
08-02-05, 02:00 PM
He got a lot of K's in his first two starts but has tapered off since
7/2 @MIL 7IP 9K
7/7 PHI 7IP 8K
7/16 @CHC 8IP 4K
7/21 COL 7IP 5K
7/27 @FLA 2IP 1K (he was pulled b/c of a long rain delay)
8/1 @ATL 8.1IP 2K

Big_E
08-18-05, 09:34 PM
Duke won again tonight, improving to (6-0, 1.87) in the process.

deranged2005
08-18-05, 10:14 PM
He was good tonight. I watched a few innings and he had good stuff. Always fun to see a good, young pitcher.

panicfan
08-19-05, 01:21 PM
I went to the ballgame last night...that kid can pitch!

Let's sign him to the Yanks ;)

We'll trade Womack, and Ruben Rivera ;)

hardrain
08-19-05, 02:24 PM
There's nothing more exciting than watching a young pitching phenom burst upon the scene. I hope he keeps it going.

Slidemaster
08-19-05, 02:42 PM
He looks pretty special. Felix Hernandez too.

46Mattingly23
08-19-05, 04:30 PM
Thank god I got him on my Yahoo fantasy team before anyone else did.

Player Named Later
08-20-05, 01:31 AM

Are you sure about that?

No disrespect, but that comment is a little more than outlandish IMO, and real slap in the face to MLB's current most prolific strikeout pitcher who happens to throw a changeup as his bread and butter. Zach Duke has been spectacular and there is all the time in the world for his stuff to mature and become one of the best young studs in the game, but he's not much more than novelty as of right now and my eyes are still focused on Felix Hernandez, a younger prospect with exceptionally better stuff.

b-ball-lunachick
08-21-05, 08:52 PM
Are you sure about that?

No disrespect, but that comment is a little more than outlandish IMO, and real slap in the face to MLB's current most prolific strikeout pitcher who happens to throw a changeup as his bread and butter. Zach Duke has been spectacular and there is all the time in the world for his stuff to mature and become one of the best young studs in the game, but he's not much more than novelty as of right now and my eyes are still focused on Felix Hernandez, a younger prospect with exceptionally better stuff.

I can't follow this post...are you mad because he said that Duke's changeup was the sickest by a lefty he's seen in years? are you mad because you think he should be giving more props to Hernandez -- he hadn't even made a start in the big leagues when that post was made? i'm confused...

b-ball-lunachick
08-21-05, 08:56 PM
btw -- there's a nice read on Duke in the ESPN INsider -- am I allowed to post that here? :)

twinks34
08-21-05, 09:09 PM
btw -- there's a nice read on Duke in the ESPN INsider -- am I allowed to post that here? :)

I'm not sure if you're allowed to post the whole thing but if it's okay with you, can you PM it to me? :)

Skars
08-21-05, 09:28 PM
I can't follow this post...are you mad because he said that Duke's changeup was the sickest by a lefty he's seen in years? are you mad because you think he should be giving more props to Hernandez -- he hadn't even made a start in the big leagues when that post was made? i'm confused...

I think he's talking about Santana here.

Circle Change
08-24-05, 02:26 PM
Duke sprained his left ankle running the bases last night and was out of the game after two scoreless innings. Hope he doesn't miss his next start.

Just wait until Francisco Liriano shows up.

Mezmerize
08-24-05, 02:36 PM

Bada-Bing-O! :D

rkh5donkey
08-25-05, 08:33 AM
Duke sprained his left ankle running the bases last night and was out of the game after two scoreless innings. Hope he doesn't miss his next start.

Duke will probably miss his next start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2142228

b-ball-lunachick
08-28-05, 02:26 AM

you're a good man. :D

Duke will definitely miss his next start:

Duke on DL: Pirates rookie Zach Duke (left ankle) was placed on the DL, retroactive to Wednesday. He is eligible to be activated Sept. 8.

Duke, 22, is the first Pirates pitcher to begin his career with six straight wins.

The move temporarily solves a problem for the Pirates, who were trying to figure out a way to limit Duke's innings. He has thrown 1672/3 innings for the Pirates and Triple A Indianapolis combined, more than he's had in his professional career.

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-extrabases0828.artaug28,0,6619387.story?coll=hc-headlines-baseball

I dont' get the last part -- why couldn't they have just cut back on his innings if they wanted to?

Kudo
08-28-05, 02:34 AM
Sucks for him :( Pirates have a nice core of young pitchers. Perez, Duke and Snell is a solid front 3 for the future. Duke has been fun to watch though, I never thought I would watch other teams except the Yankees with the extra innings package but it gives me a good opportunity to see guys like Duke and King Felix.