PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone provider advice...

Jim F.
07-12-05, 09:28 PM
Surprised this topic doesn't come up more. The most recent one I found was from April (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=81272). In that thread, the general consensus is to stay away from Sprint. Which is funny, because I've had Sprint for probably 4 or 5 years now, and have been very happy. No real problems whatsoever. There's been times when I'll have full signal strength one second, and the next second the call has been dropped, only to regain full strength the next second. Kind of annoying, but that's a rarity.

I'm not leaving Sprint because of the service; I'm actually leaving because of the phone selection. My main requirement is that it has Bluetooth built-in, but is not one of those huge-ass cellphone/pda things. Verizon has a new phone out (e815, I think) that looks great, so that's who I'm leaning towards. But my other general requirements are that it's a flip phone, and I really don't care about cameras or anything like that. I just want a phone that's a phone. (God, I sound like my dad...)

But as far as service in general goes (voice quality, coverage areas, signal strength), does anyone have any input (good or bad) about Verizon in the metro NY area? What about T-Mobile, Cingular, or Nextel?

I guess we could make this the "official" cell phone discussion thread ;).

-jim

07-12-05, 09:36 PM
I just got a broadband router and transferred my cell phone number through Vonage. Since I got NYYFANS.COM I only sit in front of my pc so I don't need to worry about roaming charges :D

ZYanksRule
07-12-05, 09:36 PM
I've got verizon, for the most part it is pretty good, the service is usually good enough.

wexy
07-12-05, 09:50 PM
I have Verizon, when we had the blackout a couple of years ago, Verizon worked throughout and a lot of others didn't

BoSox37
07-12-05, 10:12 PM
But as far as service in general goes (voice quality, coverage areas, signal strength), does anyone have any input (good or bad) about Verizon in the metro NY area? What about T-Mobile, Cingular, or Nextel?

I guess we could make this the "official" cell phone discussion thread ;).

-jim

Any phone will work in the NY metro area, but I have Verizon and it works in places other phones don't. Verizon is the way to go, especially with the 'in' plan

Big_E
07-12-05, 10:18 PM
I love my Verizon phone. Verizon was the first (if not the only) company to have repeaters in the East River train tunnels, so when I take the LIRR to and from the city, I don't lose calls in the tunnels. For me, that is (or was) very important.

RhodyYanksFan
07-13-05, 12:06 AM
Jim,

I have Verizon and I just got the Motorola E815 last week. My friend works at the Verizon store and he told me that it's basically the V710 without all the bugs that were in that phone. It just came out last month. I really like it alot. It's a good size, has all the bells & whistles; Vcast, 4x zoom camera (that takes really good pics), video capture, and yes, bluetooth. I dont' use the bluetooth though because I don't have $80 for a headset. Maybe you could tell me what else it's good for?

All in all I've had pretty much every service and I think Verizon is the best, but I know that there are horror stories for every carrier and everyone has his or her favorite. I say get the phone, I got it for $100 after $50MIR so it's well worth it, espceically when you look at all the other phones for the same price.

CoyoteYankee
07-13-05, 12:22 AM
I've got Verizon too and like others have said, I often have phone service when other friends that have different services haven't had it. I've always had Verizon so I can't personally compare it to anything else.

WhatRivalry22
07-13-05, 01:01 AM
Cingular is really the way to go. If you're on the phone a lot, you will appreciate the rollover minutes. I have a Motorola V180 phone, flip top, color screen, and it's fantastic. I had Verizon and hated it. Cingular is the best without a doubt.

b-ball-lunachick
07-13-05, 01:31 AM
I had Cingular when it was something else -- comcast maybe? It's late and I'm gone...anyway, it sucked! :D

I've had Verizon a long time now and it's great...

Jim or anyone -- question on the bluetooth - I'm waiting for my thing to expire in November so I can trade in my phone for a bluetooth one so i can use it in my car...someone told me recently that bluetooth has been having issues with it being able to pickup or have other people pick up things from it? anyone heard anything about that or experienced any problems? :)

RSoxHater
07-13-05, 02:30 AM
I dont' use the bluetooth though because I don't have $80 for a headset. Maybe you could tell me what else it's good for?

Cars. Many manufacturers (all BMWs, for example, come with bluetooth connectivity as an option) are putting bluetooth in packages or sometimes even as standard options.

RSoxHater
07-13-05, 02:41 AM
I had Cingular when it was something else -- comcast maybe? It's late and I'm gone...anyway, it sucked! :D

I've had Verizon a long time now and it's great...

Jim or anyone -- question on the bluetooth - I'm waiting for my thing to expire in November so I can trade in my phone for a bluetooth one so i can use it in my car...someone told me recently that bluetooth has been having issues with it being able to pickup or have other people pick up things from it? anyone heard anything about that or experienced any problems? :)

A problem with all wireless technology. However, bluetooth has a small range, thus someone would have to be ~30 feet of you. I usually leave bluetooth off, if I am not using it.

Evil Empire
07-13-05, 02:44 AM

Well with Bluetooth, I believe it does take some configuration, at least a selection screen to turn on the accessory its connecting too(like headsets etc.) I don't think it would just connect to someone elses device without both clients manually allowing it too.

RSoxHater
07-13-05, 02:55 AM
Surprised this topic doesn't come up more. The most recent one I found was from April (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=81272). In that thread, the general consensus is to stay away from Sprint. Which is funny, because I've had Sprint for probably 4 or 5 years now, and have been very happy. No real problems whatsoever. There's been times when I'll have full signal strength one second, and the next second the call has been dropped, only to regain full strength the next second. Kind of annoying, but that's a rarity.

Now you come supporting Sprint. In the April thread you referenced, I sound like King Lear raving in the midst of the storm, or at least the other forumers, on how Sprint actually worked well. ;)

yankeeschic12324
07-13-05, 03:01 AM
Cingular is really the way to go. If you're on the phone a lot, you will appreciate the rollover minutes. I have a Motorola V180 phone, flip top, color screen, and it's fantastic. I had Verizon and hated it. Cingular is the best without a doubt.
Ditto on it all! I get signal where places my brother won't (Verizon) I also have the V180..it rocks.

Luvtino
07-13-05, 03:47 AM
I use Verizon and I have never had one problem with my service. Highly recommend them. :)

IncredibleByNature
07-13-05, 04:07 AM
Cingular is really the way to go. If you're on the phone a lot, you will appreciate the rollover minutes. I have a Motorola (http://216.130.188.200/cgi-bin/ezlclk.fcgi?id=9753)V180 phone, flip top, color screen, and it's fantastic. I had Verizon and hated it. Cingular is the best without a doubt.

Same phone I have. I love it. :)

As for me, I'm in a family plan w/ T-Mobile and have had no problems so far.

Jim F.
07-13-05, 09:54 AM
RhodyYanksFan, I'm picking up a new car today that has bluetooth built-in, so I'd be using the bluetooth for that.

I've narrowed it down (if you can call it that!) to Cingular or Verizon. Nextel or T-Mobile don't really appear to have much more selection as far as bluetooth phones than Sprint does.

Cingular has the Moto v550 (I think that's what it was) and the new Moto RAZR, which looks really slick. Verizon has the E815. From what I hear, the RAZR is the only one that fully integrates with the car, meaning that caller id, battery, and signal strength are displayed on the dashboard. The other two don't display the battery life, but do display everything else.

I'm going to Best Buy or someplace today where I can see each of the phones, and then I'll decide. But I like that Cingular has the rollover minutes AND 2 good phone options, so I'll probably go with them.

What's funny is that some people love the same service other people hated. I guess it really depends on what equipment you have and how the service for that particular provider are in the areas where you spend most of your time.

PalmerGA
07-13-05, 10:15 AM
Verizon is the way to go...Apparently they have improved significantly in the past year. I heard a guy on the radio a while back that said he "could probably walk around with a Verizon cell tower stuck up [his] ass, and still get cut off during calls". :lol:

I have no experience-based input. I have a Taxpayer-funded Blackberry... no personal cell phone.

RhodyYanksFan
07-13-05, 10:25 AM
Cars. Many manufacturers (all BMWs, for example, come with bluetooth connectivity as an option) are putting bluetooth in packages or sometimes even as standard options.

:lol: If I don't have $80 for a bluetooth headset, what makes you think a BMW is in my near future?

yanksrule69
07-13-05, 10:43 AM
Apparently they have improved significantly in the past year. I heard a guy on the radio a while back that said he "could probably walk around with a Verizon cell tower stuck up [his] ass, and still get cut off during calls". :lol:

I know someone who wrote Sprint and said that. It was hilarious.

Anyway, as I have stated in all these other cell phone threads Verizon has the best all around service. I had Sprint for years and they sucked big time. I have a few friends who have either T-Mobile or Cingular and they do not get nearly as good service as I do. In fact, one of my good friend's father actually works at Cingular and even she switched to Verizon last year because Cingular was that bad. An added bonus for me is that 95% of anyone I talk to has Verizon.

Stealthspy
07-13-05, 11:28 AM
Cingular is really the way to go. If you're on the phone a lot, you will appreciate the rollover minutes. I have a Motorola V180 phone, flip top, color screen, and it's fantastic. I had Verizon and hated it. Cingular is the best without a doubt.Same. I have a friend with Nextel and he hates it, but he's under contact. I have my Motorola v551 (probably a little excessive for Jim, though) and I love it.

Jim F.
07-13-05, 03:57 PM
I have my Motorola v551 (probably a little excessive for Jim, though) and I love it.Don't know why you think it's excessive for me... that's the exact sort of phone I am looking for, and even reference it (though incorrectly as the v550) earlier in this thread.

I'll be deciding between that and the RAZR as soon as I get a chance to get to to the store.

jespak
07-13-05, 04:01 PM
I've had t-mobile for, I believe, 3 years now. Solid service in Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as parts of upstate and parts of Jersey I've traveled. Pricing is very good. Definately recommend it, not sure if the bluetooth phones are available.

PalmerGA
07-13-05, 04:08 PM
Don't know why you think it's excessive for me... that's the exact sort of phone I am looking for, and even reference it (though incorrectly as the v550) earlier in this thread.

I'll be deciding between that and the RAZR as soon as I get a chance to get to to the store.Excuse my ignorance about all this stuff.... but why don't you get one of those deals you stick in your ear and just leave there? :lol: Kidding.... those are the stupidest looking things I've seen in years. :lol:

mtchbx20rol
07-13-05, 05:11 PM
Nextel is the way to go really.

I have had it for 2 years and I haven't had a problem with it. Service goes all over the place except my bedroom and my computer room, which is kinda stupid but whatever.

IMO, Cingular is going down the drain. My girlfriend has it and she hates it. Verizon is just too darn expensive for me.

b-ball-lunachick
07-13-05, 05:28 PM
RhodyYanksFan, I'm picking up a new car today that has bluetooth built-in, so I'd be using the bluetooth for that.

cool -- congrats jim...what kind did you buy? my acura has it in there which is why i want one. :)

RSoxHater
07-13-05, 06:43 PM
:lol: If I don't have $80 for a bluetooth headset, what makes you think a BMW is in my near future?
I didn't say one was in your near future, I mentioned there were many manufacturers and gave an example. :) It just popped into my head since I lease one.

BronxByTheBay
07-13-05, 07:25 PM
Don't know why you think it's excessive for me... that's the exact sort of phone I am looking for, and even reference it (though incorrectly as the v550) earlier in this thread.

I'll be deciding between that and the RAZR as soon as I get a chance to get to to the store.

Careful with the RAZR, Jim. Recently I did a LOT of research into a new cell (along with a pda) and I got a lot of feedback that suggested the sound quality on the RAZR wasn't good.

The lil' f*cker looks cool as hell, especially the new black model, so it was tough to resist.

krystl
07-13-05, 08:31 PM
.... Nextel or T-Mobile don't really appear to have much more selection as far as bluetooth phones than Sprint does.

Nextel and Sprint are soon to be one and the same. I am wondering how/if it will affect my service (Nextel).

Jim F.
07-13-05, 09:15 PM
cool -- congrats jim...what kind did you buy? my acura has it in there which is why i want one. :)I, personally, didn't buy a car since I drive a company car... but I got to pick it out :). I got a new Acura TL. I'm assuming that's what you have, since it's the only Acura w/ Bluetooth in it ;).

Jim F.
07-13-05, 09:18 PM
Careful with the RAZR, Jim. Recently I did a LOT of research into a new cell (along with a pda) and I got a lot of feedback that suggested the sound quality on the RAZR wasn't good.

The lil' f*cker looks cool as hell, especially the new black model, so it was tough to resist.I just looked at the RAZR at a local shop earlier this evening... while it's wicked cool because of how thin it is (which makes it fit in my pocket really well!) it feels like I'm talking on an empty envelope. Plus it's so wide, it looks kind of silly. I think it's got the "cool" effect, but I think it only looks good when it's closed.

I'm going to check out the e815 at a Verizon store tomorrow hopefully, at which point I'll decide between that and the v551. That said, Best Buy has a good deal on the RAZR... $99 w/ new 2yr activation.

BronxByTheBay
07-13-05, 10:25 PM
I think it's got the "cool" effect, but I think it only looks good when it's closed.

Funny you should mention that, I thought the same thing the first time I opened one. It seems the phone really is a great fashion piece as long as it stays shut.

b-ball-lunachick
07-13-05, 11:14 PM
I, personally, didn't buy a car since I drive a company car... but I got to pick it out :). I got a new Acura TL. I'm assuming that's what you have, since it's the only Acura w/ Bluetooth in it ;).

well maybe i should say congrats on the job if it's new -- a few siblings of mine get company cars but not Acuras -- they got lower end Fords -- either a small SUV or a sedan. :D Must be a good job!! :D Anyway, very cool -- mine's a year old this month and I love it - I think you'll love yours... :) I went with the anthrocite by the way - the only thing I wasn't crazy about were the color choices but I like mine. :)

Jim F.
07-13-05, 11:26 PM
well maybe i should say congrats on the job if it's new -- a few siblings of mine get company cars but not Acuras -- they got lower end Fords -- either a small SUV or a sedan. :D Must be a good job!! :D Anyway, very cool -- mine's a year old this month and I love it - I think you'll love yours... :) I went with the anthrocite by the way - the only thing I wasn't crazy about were the color choices but I like mine. :)Not a new job, just a new car... and yes... I love my job and the company I work for :). I wanted the white, but it's not available with a black interior. So I went w/ silver. I do like the Anthracite. I've seen a few of the dark red TLs driving around recently, and that's nice too, but I'm not a red kind of guy...

Jersey Yankee
07-14-05, 02:41 AM
Get Verizon. I've got the same phone that Jim has, but in elevators or basements of office buildings in Manhattan, the Verizon keeps working.

chanman7483
07-14-05, 09:23 AM
I, personally, didn't buy a car since I drive a company car... but I got to pick it out :). I got a new Acura TL. I'm assuming that's what you have, since it's the only Acura w/ Bluetooth in it ;).

wtf :argh: :enraged: that's hot

get me a job at your company dammit

Hitman23
07-14-05, 10:31 AM
I don't know about NJ Jim, but Verizon seems to have the best service on LI. Not that it helps you, but just a tid bit of info anyway.

Jim F.
07-19-05, 10:12 PM
For those interested, I went with Verizon and got the E815. It integrates with my car beautifully. Plus, it's my first camera phone, and I'm actually kind of really enjoying that part of it :). It's also got all sorts of other goodies... It's not really that much smaller or lighter than my last phone, which is too bad, but it's not a bad size at all.

When closed it does feel like the top half is a little loose at the hinge; I asked for another one, but that one was the same way. I'm wondering if this is the way all these phones are.

RhodyYanksFan
07-19-05, 11:53 PM
For those interested, I went with Verizon and got the E815. It integrates with my car beautifully. Plus, it's my first camera phone, and I'm actually kind of really enjoying that part of it :). It's also got all sorts of other goodies... It's not really that much smaller or lighter than my last phone, which is too bad, but it's not a bad size at all.

When closed it does feel like the top half is a little loose at the hinge; I asked for another one, but that one was the same way. I'm wondering if this is the way all these phones are.

I have the E815. Mine does the same thing when it's shut, but I don't think it's an issue. It's also my first camera phone. It's so fun. I love the big screen. If you take pix at the game, feel free to send them to me. I got unlimited pix and txt messages. Good pick Jim, you'll enjoy it. :2thumbs:

SuperMario66
07-20-05, 12:01 AM
I have Cingular and really haven't had any problems. Honestly, the main reasons i have it are the people I talk to. Most people around here have Cingular and I really like having the mobile to mobile. I can't imagine what my phone bill would be without it.

b-ball-lunachick
07-20-05, 12:11 AM

Cool...I'm writing that down for when my contract expires in November. :) Are you uploading your address book into it so it reads in the display? Also, did they give you the navigation system? I didn't choose that option...

edit to add: one more thing..a little off topic - those camera phones -- they scare me a bit! :D Can you get the bluetooth one without that feature?

While cool in theory and some experiences, I've seen some people doing some strange things to others with those phone -- some who don't know it's being done. ;) Had a few strange experiences myself -- when you turn around and you see a guy with a funny look on his face, your stomach just drops out...it's like yikes! I'm sure I'm way in the minority here but I'm not a huge fan of those things...

Evil Empire
07-20-05, 09:40 AM
I see that many people have Cingular and are happy with it. I have Cingular and it sucks for me. I get very little service in most places. I get absolutley no service on campus, so I'm switching, most likely to T-Mobile. Any suggestions on which phone to get?

yanksrule69
07-20-05, 09:48 AM
I know a bunch of people with the Verizon E815 and most of them seem very happy with it. It seems like it is the "new" V60 which everyone used to have and love, myself included. Looks like I may have to switch over to this phone too.

chanman7483
07-20-05, 09:56 AM
For those interested, I went with Verizon and got the E815. It integrates with my car beautifully..

How does your phone integrate with your car? Can you make calls and hear the person through the car speakers, etc? What?

YankeeClemens22
07-20-05, 10:01 AM
I have a V551, and I just had to send it in for warranty service. I like the phone, so I hope that it works like it should when I get it back.

Jim F.
07-20-05, 10:01 AM
How does your phone integrate with your car? Can you make calls and hear the person through the car speakers, etc? What?Yeah...

This is how it works. You would say "call 2125551234" and it will dial for you. Or you can store a certain amount of names in the car's phone book, and then just say "call Tom". There's a mic up near the rearview mirror, and the person's voice comes through the stereo speakers. There's a screen on the dashboard that displays the incoming callerid, battery life, and signal strength.

The car recognizes the phone automatically, so I can be talking on the phone, get in the car and it will transfer to the car system, and then get out of the car and have it transfer back to the handset automatically again.

All in all, it's very cool :).

Yankchic22
07-20-05, 10:27 AM
When we had all those hurricanes down here last year, and all the landlines were out, Verizon was the only service (cell phones, that is) that worked for the weeks following each hurricane. I would have neighbors coming over just to use my phone since all these cingular, nextel, and alltel users didnt have any service.

Plus, I remember during the blackout two years ago in New York, I had Nextel at the time, and the guy I was seeing had Verizon. Well, I couldn't make a call for two days, and his phone was working just fine.

DaBomber25
07-26-05, 10:43 AM
I've got Cingular and I'm sick of it. It seems like they charge up the ass for texts and most everyone else offers free texts or offers them extremely cheap.

If I switch carriers do I have to switch my phone and my current phone #?

yanksrule69
07-26-05, 10:44 AM
If I switch carriers do I have to switch my phone and my current phone #?

Phone - yes
Phone Number - No

CJM
07-26-05, 12:20 PM
I've had T-Mobile, Verizon and currently have Cingular. Verizon was the best, by far.

DaBomber25
07-26-05, 12:21 PM
Verizon was the best, by far.

That's what I keep hearing.

Why'd you leave them?

CJM
07-26-05, 12:25 PM
That's what I keep hearing.

Why'd you leave them?

I had them for 2 years and they didn't want to give me a good deal on a new phone. I saw an offer for a free Sony Ericsson T 637 from AT&T so I switched.

IntangiblesRule
07-26-05, 12:29 PM
I just upgraded to the E815 and I'm waiting for FedEx to ship it to me. I was using the LG 7000 previously and I liked it a lot, but I'm hearing a lot of good about the 815 and bluetooth is always a nice bonus.

IntangiblesRule
08-04-05, 01:04 AM
I got my E815 today and I dig it the most. Call quality is awesome and the fact I can make my own custom MP3 ringtones easier than ever before is icing on the cake. Also, with the extra memory slot there is tons of memory on the phone for funny video clips and things like that to keep me entertained while sitting in airports and on my down time at work.

Definite thumbs up.

yanksrule69
10-31-05, 01:26 PM
Anyone who's got the E815, do you have any problems with it now that they have been out for a little while? Does anyone think it is a little heavy?

My new car will have bluetooth in it and this is the only Motorola phone that works with it so I'm going to buy it. Just curious about any complaints or problems anyone has had with it.

SuperMario66
10-31-05, 01:28 PM
Can somebody explain to me what bluetooth is?

yanksrule69
10-31-05, 01:41 PM

It's a way for various electronic devices to intergrate wirelessly (is that a word?) with each other. I'm sure other people can get more technical for you but that's my basic understanding.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
10-31-05, 01:47 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

SuperMario66
10-31-05, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys, but I still don't think I get it. Maybe if somebody could explain why it is helpful?

Coney36
10-31-05, 02:30 PM
I've got Cingular and I'm sick of it. It seems like they charge up the ass for texts and most everyone else offers free texts or offers them extremely cheap.

Oh yeah, I learned that the hard way when my dad told me I had a bill for like $400 when I was up in Canada in June. Without a computer for a month, I went crazy on the text msgs/AIM on my cell. Luckily for me, we're on the family plan and he picked up the bill...

jlw1980
10-31-05, 02:40 PM
Same phone I have. I love it. :)

As for me, I'm in a family plan w/ T-Mobile and have had no problems so far.

I also have the V180 w/ T-Mobile. I have problems with it not liking to have much of a signal indoors. In my apartment, it will sometimes go up to two bars (out of 5) and sometimes drops calls. Outdoors it's usually OK. I can be at work in the middle of Phoenix, though, and have it range from two bars (rare) up to the full five. Right now I'm at work, and it's at four, the norm.

IntangiblesRule
10-31-05, 04:40 PM
Anyone who's got the E815, do you have any problems with it now that they have been out for a little while? Does anyone think it is a little heavy?

My new car will have bluetooth in it and this is the only Motorola phone that works with it so I'm going to buy it. Just curious about any complaints or problems anyone has had with it.

I haven't had any problems with the E815 at all and I bought it pretty much at launch. I don't think it's heavy, but I could never stand the micro mini sized phones they weren't made for my fingers.

Stealthspy
10-31-05, 05:01 PM

I'll be deciding between that and the RAZR as soon as I get a chance to get to to the store.Well, since this topic was brought up

I really don't care about cameras or anything like that. I just want a phone that's a phone. (God, I sound like my dad...)

The v551 is more than a phone. I'd assume you can get a less featured version with bluetooth for cheaper and it'd have better battery life. But you probably chose a while ago anyway. :)

chanman7483
02-07-06, 01:53 PM
Figured I'd add to the thread...

On Friday, I ported my old # from verizon over to SPRINT. I also picked up the Samsung A920- great phone, great camera, great features, great reception... if not a little clunky. I like that though - It feels sturdy and good in my hand.

The service is great too. When I'm home though the bars have a tendency of fluctuating between 0 and 2 bars... but I always get a clear signal regardless. Also, I'll be sitting here looking at the bars of service, and it'll go from full to 1 bar... then back to full... then die again... I don't know why. But the service is never interrupted.

Overall, satisfied with my choice, great staff at their stores, good customer service... no complaints.

F off verizon!!!!!!

yanksrule69
02-07-06, 02:06 PM
F off verizon!!!!!!

I switched from Sprint to Verizon about 4 years ago and I had my first problem with one of their jackass customer service reps just last weekend.

If you left Verizon because of customer service have a blast dealin' with Sprint, unless they have made huge strides in this department.

gdn
02-07-06, 02:17 PM
I used T-Mobile for about 4 years, until last July (give or take a month), when I switched to Cingular. They're both pretty good - in fact, I had absolutely no complaints with T-Mobile and Cingular's pretty good too.

Tifoso
02-07-06, 02:25 PM
T-Mobile is #1 in the US.

My daughter just got one. :)

2 questions (hope someone knows :dunno: )--

1. Do you have to get internet connectibility? The salespeople said no, but the program is on the phone, so it kinda makes me nervous (she uses it as phone/PDA only)

2. Do you have to pay extra for having a blackberry device? (We just paid for the phone outright, so I'm not sure. )

chanman7483
02-07-06, 02:35 PM
T-Mobile is #1 in the US.

My daughter just got one. :)

2 questions (hope someone knows :dunno: )--

1. Do you have to get internet connectibility? The salespeople said no, but the program is on the phone, so it kinda makes me nervous (she uses it as phone/PDA only)

2. Do you have to pay extra for having a blackberry device? (We just paid for the phone outright, so I'm not sure. )

I think you have to pay for the data plan to get any kind of BB functionality. I think Verizon's started at 45, on top of any phone plan you have.

I switched from Sprint to Verizon about 4 years ago and I had my first problem with one of their jackass customer service reps just last weekend.

If you left Verizon because of customer service have a blast dealin' with Sprint, unless they have made huge strides in this department.

Well... I think that the phone designs were a little too plain for me. Also, I heard some bad things about the Verizon software they loaded on the Razrs and how it affected it's functionality. I noticed this on my CDM8900 when I was w/ Verizon - slow menus, etc. I then visited the Verizon store to see for myself and didn't like how everything had verizon on it. I mean, on the phone I had, the outer screen said "verizon wireless" 3/4 of the time and every once in a while, the time would show for a few seconds..

BTW i was on hold for about 30 minutes before someone picked up on their customer service line but when they did pick up, they were very helpful. when I first dialed in it said estimated wait time was <2 minutes. :mad:

Tifoso
02-07-06, 02:42 PM
I think you have to pay for the data plan to get any kind of BB functionality. I think Verizon's started at 45, on top of any phone plan you have.

Thanks, amico mio. :)

fredgmuggs
02-07-06, 02:45 PM
I'm reading this and it's all Greek to me. I must be the only person my age that doesn't have a cell phone. I take pride in that.

chanman7483
02-07-06, 03:14 PM
Thanks, amico mio. :)

Actually, looking now... the BB plan for just email and internet is 30 bucks... the next plan is 1k minutes + unlimited e-mail/internet for 60.

BB might be going down the tubes thoguh w/ their legal problems... anyone know the latest?

YankeeClemens22
02-07-06, 03:18 PM
Actually, I was just looking for this thread! I can't believe it was sitting on top -- I was going to dig it up.

Anyway, my question is about the E815. Jim, you got this phone right? Still like it? I'm probably about to switch from Cingular to Verizon.

Can someone with the E815 tell me about the flash card slot? I am reading that the flash card is "TransFlash". Is this the same as MicroSD? I'd definately get something like one of those 15-in-1 flash card readers to be able to transfer files between the phone and the PC, and I want to make sure it is compatible. Amazon sells the E815 for $25 profit (that's $25 in your pocket -- after rebates) with new activation on Verizon.

The other choice would be the RAZR V3c, which would cost $75. Anyone have any stories to share about these two models?

Tifoso
02-07-06, 03:21 PM
Actually, I was just looking for this thread! I can't believe it was sitting on top -- I was going to dig it up.

Anyway, my question is about the E815. Jim, you got this phone right? Still like it? I'm probably about to switch from Cingular to Verizon.

DON'T!!!!

Verizon sucks---horrible coverage---at least out here, amico mio.

boo_427
02-07-06, 03:21 PM
Actually, looking now... the BB plan for just email and internet is 30 bucks... the next plan is 1k minutes + unlimited e-mail/internet for 60.

BB might be going down the tubes thoguh w/ their legal problems... anyone know the latest?

It doesn't affect users or businesses that use the "Enterprise" server version of BB. It only affects folks that use the BB email directly from Cingular or Sprint. Has to do with the "routing" of the data.

YankeeClemens22
02-07-06, 03:23 PM
DON'T!!!!

Verizon sucks---horrible coverage---at least out here, amico mio.

The consensus in NYC seems to be that Verizon has the best coverage... atleast, that's the impression I was under.

boo_427
02-07-06, 03:24 PM
The consensus in NYC seems to be that Verizon has the best coverage... atleast, that's the impression I was under.

Same for Atlanta, home of Cingular. :eek:

Tifoso
02-07-06, 03:25 PM

Wow---what a difference 3000 miles makes :)

chanman7483
02-07-06, 03:26 PM

Hey man, since you moved to NYC i'm pretty sure just about anything will be good for you. Can't go wrong w/ verizon - although I switched from them I never had any qualms or trouble w/ them in the city. Go to the store and check out the V3c in person... i've heard some bad things about how the software F's up the phone a bit here and there, slowing it down and what not.

stephsamps
02-07-06, 03:31 PM
I have the V3C. It took a little while to get used to, but I definitely like the size. I use it pretty much for a phone (have a sidekick for my data, but don't like t-mobile's service enough to make it my phone) but it has great call quality, nice buttons and feels sturdy. The camera is also really cool. 1.3 megapixels. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

chanman7483
02-07-06, 03:33 PM
It doesn't affect users or businesses that use the "Enterprise" server version of BB. It only affects folks that use the BB email directly from Cingular or Sprint. Has to do with the "routing" of the data.
Got it... i thought corporate e-mail was going to come to a grinding halt. I coudln't imagine what would happen if BB got shut down for corporate use.

yanksrule69
02-07-06, 03:33 PM

Can someone with the E815 tell me about the flash card slot? I am reading that the flash card is "TransFlash". Is this the same as MicroSD? I'd definately get something like one of those 15-in-1 flash card readers to be able to transfer files between the phone and the PC, and I want to make sure it is compatible. Amazon sells the E815 for $25 profit (that's $25 in your pocket -- after rebates) with new activation on Verizon.

The other choice would be the RAZR V3c, which would cost $75. Anyone have any stories to share about these two models?

I've had experience with both. The RAZR's best quality is how thin it is. Besides that it is a pain in the ass to use. My guy friends who have the RAZR have trouble hitting the buttons becuase they have bigger fingers and no nails. I'm pretty rough on my phones and I feel like I would break the thing in no time if I used it regularly.

I've got the E815. It's a little bigger than I would like but it works well and is pretty easy to use. I'm not sure about the flash card the one I use is a Transflash.

YankeeClemens22
02-07-06, 03:40 PM
I've had experience with both. The RAZR's best quality is how thin it is. Besides that it is a pain in the ass to use. My guy friends who have the RAZR have trouble hitting the buttons becuase they have bigger fingers and no nails. I'm pretty rough on my phones and I feel like I would break the thing in no time if I used it regularly.

I've got the E815. It's a little bigger than I would like but it works well and is pretty easy to use. I'm not sure about the flash card the one I use is a Transflash.

Thank you for the input! That's how I feel too. I think the E815 looks like a better phone feature-wise, and I think the RAZR is more for those who want to be trendy. I'm fine with something that's not quite as thin, I just want a phone that works right, and has bluetooth support.

YankyDave
02-07-06, 03:51 PM

Verizon has by far the best coverage in all the major cities, especially on the east coast.

I have the Verizon Razr and I love it so far. Bluetooth is great, especially in the car with it built in. The headset is decent but I get some complaints about the background noise when I'm outside. I also make sure to take it off when I go into stores or offices so I don't look like one of those "Mr. Self-important" toolbags. Ever notice those people never get calls?

chanman7483
02-07-06, 03:52 PM
I also didn't think the razr felt too good in my hand. Sprint also has a phone thats similiar to the razr - the square-ish form just doesn't feel secure in your hand.

TannerBoyle
02-07-06, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the input! That's how I feel too. I think the E815 looks like a better phone feature-wise, and I think the RAZR is more for those who want to be trendy. I'm fine with something that's not quite as thin, I just want a phone that works right, and has bluetooth support.

I've had the Cingular 2125 for about a month. It's a smallish (non-flip) phone that runs Windows, and is pretty sweet. I keep it synced with my computer at work and the fiancee's laptop at home. It can pull my Gmail and surf websites either via wireless web, or while Bluetoothly connected to a computer. This is nice because at home I can check email real quick or grab a sports score/weather from the couch, while the little lady is working away on our computer in another room. The screen is sweet, and I added a memory card to hold videos, music, and a NES emulator- I play tons of Tecmo Bowl updated with the 2005 rosters. Shockey is a beast on the TE Slant route play.

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service//images/equip/showcase/show_cingular_2125.jpg

Jersey Yankee
02-07-06, 05:56 PM
My problem wasn't Sprint; it was the phone itself. I had the same one as Jim had, since we met up at the last FP in June or so. That was a Sprint N400.

I've now got a Sanyo 2300. It's got much better coverage, the battery lasts forever, the charger shuts off automatically after it's fully charged, and even if I type in a multi-word contact, I can find the name by any letter, such as "John's Deli" will show up, just as "Deli 2d Av&10 St" when I type in "Deli".

It's pretty easy to use, doesn't start on & off like the last one, and has very good quality of service.

I'll have to get more ringtones, since I just figured out (happened upon it) the way to set individual ringtones for different callers.