PDA

View Full Version : Billy Blanks rules.

Tal Hawkins
07-06-05, 10:33 PM
The wife and I just recently started working out to Billy Blanks' new series - Billy's Boot Camp. I've never been into working out, but now that I'm 30 I figured I can't just sit around like I did in college and expect the weight to drop...well, that was probably due to a steady diet of beer, cigs, and Subway...but you get my point. I'm older and everything I eat just turns to fat.

Anyway, back to Billy Blanks...these boot camp workouts are great. It's not too strenuous...very cardio intensive with a decent emphasis on the abs. The only thing that sucks are the friggin' Billy Bands...damn things always get in my way.

So far I've lost about 4-5 pounds in the last week. Anyone else tried these workouts, or his TaeBo series?

LDG
07-06-05, 10:46 PM
I've always wanted to try one of his tapes. I'm still trading off time on a treadmill and the "old school" stepper with a video at home. Congrats on your positive results!

iluv#2
07-06-05, 11:01 PM
Wow, that's great that you have shed soo much weight in a week. Congrats. I hope you can continue with it. I haven't tried the Boot Camp but I have done Tae-Bo a couple times with my friends and I didn't like it, lol. I was lost half the time because I am so uncordinated. I think I'll stick to running. =)

Tal Hawkins
07-06-05, 11:53 PM
LDG & iluv#2 - thanks for the kind words. When we started the first tape last week I really felt lost for the first few minutes...but most of the stuff is pretty easy to fall in line with...only a few times since then have I had to do a double take and figure out how he does an exercise.

I think what I like best about the workouts, and this is going to sound cheesy, is how comfortable Billy Blanks makes you feel when you're doing it. He's a very positive and energetic person...very infectious. Makes it hard to give up even when your entire body is screaming 'NO MORE'. I guess you could call him the Tony Robbins of the workout world.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
07-07-05, 12:02 AM
I used to do Tae Bo and feel great afterward. I was always the last one standing every time the instructor put in one of those videos during the PE classes I used to take in the summers to stay in shape. Yet, by the end of every work out, it was pure agony just to finish it, so I didn't stay with it. I felt like I'd accomplished something afterward, but I never had fun doing it.

CoyoteYankee
07-07-05, 10:27 AM
I actually go to a cardio-kickboxing class now but when I first started working out (about 8 years ago) I was doing some of Billy Blanks' tapes. They were great at the beginning but I'll bet that eventually you will want something more intense. At least I did as time went on. His tapes were great to learn the moves and get myself in shape but after a while I got bored. I love my cardio class now because it is super intense.

Good luck!

krystl
07-07-05, 12:20 PM
I have some of his Tae Bo tapes. I loved them but got kind of bored with the same routine after a while. He is very good at motivating you though.

One question...did he finally ditch those horrible spandex leotard things? ;) :lol:

chanman7483
07-07-05, 12:26 PM
Ok i'm going to admit it

I took the Tae Bo boot camp dvds from my mom's room and started doing them about 2 weeks ago. I use the Billy bands Extensively(KILLER WORKOUT) and I typcially stay w/ the 55 minute Ultimate bootcamp one... i'll throw in Ab... I do this on my off days from the gym... and u end up sweating up a storm and getting an awesome workout.

and yes, he ditched the spandex jumpsuit... although he still wears something simliar for his shirt, but he has baggy army fatigues on and boots now.

Tal Hawkins
07-07-05, 01:09 PM
chanman - glad to hear you're enjoying the Boot Camp videos....aside from the exercises using the bands, the ab video has been the toughest workout for me.

As far as getting burned out on, or bored with, the workouts - there are 4 videos to start the Boot Camp...some have the same exercises, but he mixes it up well.

He's got a couple of other Boot Camp workouts to purchase individually, so I may try one or both of those in the future. I've also heard good things about his TaeBo series...particulary the Fat Blaster workout. I might take some of the exercises that work the best for me and put together a workout to my own music.

Yankeees
07-07-05, 02:00 PM
How exactly do the Billy Bands work? Where do you put them? And how's the music he uses? Any Good?

Tal Hawkins
07-07-05, 02:05 PM
How exactly do the Billy Bands work? Where do you put them? And how's the music he uses? Any Good?
The Billy Bands are just two large pieces of elastic rubber, one end has a foam handle, the other end has a loop designed to go over your foot...just an easy way to create resistance when doing presses, curls, kicks, etc. But they work really well.

The music is decent...most of it is just a looped up-tempo, almost techno style beat...the cool-down beats sound like elevator muzak.

DaBomber25
07-07-05, 02:15 PM
Is there a big difference between the Boot Camp and Tae Bo tapes?

chanman7483
07-07-05, 02:29 PM
Boot camp is much more intense... lots of jumping around and kicking :lol: lots more, that is.

LilChief
07-11-05, 12:07 PM
I used to do TaeBo a few years back, even before the boot camp ones came out. For awhile there were a ton of "TaeBo Live" workouts, and I have at least 20 different ones on tape, so I never got bored with the routines. I really need to get back into it, I never felt better than the year I was hooked on TaeBo. I talked to Billy on the phone once when he was doing a promo on QVC, and a bunch of my friends were there to do the live workout with him. He really is a great motivator and a genuinely kind soul.

Keep up the good work, and I may just follow your lead and dust off my own TaeBo tapes!

sanfranciscojetergirl
07-11-05, 02:25 PM
I used to do TaeBo a few years back, even before the boot camp ones came out. For awhile there were a ton of "TaeBo Live" workouts, and I have at least 20 different ones on tape, so I never got bored with the routines. I really need to get back into it, I never felt better than the year I was hooked on TaeBo. I talked to Billy on the phone once when he was doing a promo on QVC, and a bunch of my friends were there to do the live workout with him. He really is a great motivator and a genuinely kind soul.

Keep up the good work, and I may just follow your lead and dust off my own TaeBo tapes!

OMG, my mother was just watching him on QVC and ordered for us. It sounds like fun.

NYYfan24
07-11-05, 02:58 PM
The wife and I just recently started working out to Billy Blanks' new series - Billy's Boot Camp. I've never been into working out, but now that I'm 30 I figured I can't just sit around like I did in college and expect the weight to drop...well, that was probably due to a steady diet of beer, cigs, and Subway...but you get my point. I'm older and everything I eat just turns to fat.

Anyway, back to Billy Blanks...these boot camp workouts are great. It's not too strenuous...very cardio intensive with a decent emphasis on the abs. The only thing that sucks are the friggin' Billy Bands...damn things always get in my way.

So far I've lost about 4-5 pounds in the last week. Anyone else tried these workouts, or his TaeBo series?

How tough is the workout on the knees. I have crappy knees.
His workouts have always looked great! :)

Congrats on your progress!

LilChief
07-11-05, 03:49 PM
How tough is the workout on the knees. I have crappy knees.
His workouts have always looked great! :)

Congrats on your progress!

That's the good thing about it all...you can (and he stresses) to only do what you can do...
"if you can only kick this high, then only kick this high, and eventually when you can do it, you kick a little higher" As you build up strength in your legs and the muscles that support your knees and other joints, you will find that even the worst knees will become stronger and less injury prone than they were...just take it as slowly as you need to as long as you need to...lots of people have found that they have to modify certain moves, but can do others without any problems, so you do what you can.

NYYfan24
07-11-05, 03:53 PM
That's the good thing about it all...you can (and he stresses) to only do what you can do...
"if you can only kick this high, then only kick this high, and eventually when you can do it, you kick a little higher" As you build up strength in your legs and the muscles that support your knees and other joints, you will find that even the worst knees will become stronger and less injury prone than they were...just take it as slowly as you need to as long as you need to...lots of people have found that they have to modify certain moves, but can do others without any problems, so you do what you can.

Thanks for the info! I might order it! Right now I'm doing a 45 minute "walking" workout...Leslie Sansone 3 miles for the abs...so far the knees have handled that!

LilChief
07-11-05, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info! I might order it! Right now I'm doing a 45 minute "walking" workout...Leslie Sansone 3 miles for the abs...so far the knees have handled that!

You may want to start out with the 30 minute "Basic" workout...it's not as intense, and would be less stressfull on your knees to start out, then you can move up to a 60 minute advanced tape when you are ready...;)

Tal Hawkins
07-12-05, 01:54 PM
This is definitely one of the more appealing aspects of the videos...we did the Ultimate Boot Camp workout last night, and Billy throws in some new exercises not found on the Basic or Cardio workouts. But he takes the time to point out exactly what you said - on kicking exercises it's okay to not kick as high as he does or on ab exercises it's okay to use your hands/arms for more support if you need to.

The Ultimate workout was a lot more difficult than I anticipated...I'm going back to the other 3 for a few more weeks before I can work up the stamina and strength to give the Ultimate my best effort.

NYYfan24
07-12-05, 03:14 PM
You may want to start out with the 30 minute "Basic" workout...it's not as intense, and would be less stressfull on your knees to start out, then you can move up to a 60 minute advanced tape when you are ready...;)

Thanks again...plus 30 minutes will fit into my schedule better also! :)

Yankeees
01-04-06, 07:31 AM
I'd say I'm about 10-15 lbs more than I'd like to be. I'm working on my stomach section and I'm about to start the TaeBo Abs workout. Would someone suggest I do that workout and the layer of fat would burn off, or would the abs workout only expand my midsection?

allybear
01-04-06, 08:14 AM
I used to do the tae bo tapes and liked them - they weren't necessarily my favorites, but they were good.

I really have to start working out again - I enjoyed it a lot and when I started again awhile back, I was happy to find I still enjoyed my "hopping around" (that's what JP calls a cardio workout), but it was just throwing my schedule off so much - we didn't get to eat dinner till 9:30 - that I stopped. But I may start again - reading this is making me want to!

LilChief
01-04-06, 09:11 AM
I used to do the tae bo tapes and liked them - they weren't necessarily my favorites, but they were good.

I really have to start working out again - I enjoyed it a lot and when I started again awhile back, I was happy to find I still enjoyed my "hopping around" (that's what JP calls a cardio workout), but it was just throwing my schedule off so much - we didn't get to eat dinner till 9:30 - that I stopped. But I may start again - reading this is making me want to!

I need to get started again myself Ally...Is there any way you can get your cardio in 1st thing in the am when you get up so it won't delay your dinner? I always did better when I got it out of the way, and it was less likely that something would come up to deter me. I used to have a friend call me at 5am, and we'd talk for 2-3 minutes, and then go off and do our workouts. I need to get back into that!

RhodyYanksFan
01-04-06, 10:25 AM
Do these exercises make you jump around alot? I live on the 2nd floor and don't want to make my neighbor think I'm having fight club upstairs if I do the tape.

Casey at the Bat
01-04-06, 10:40 AM
We used to have the students at work do tae-bo on rainy days for PE. I liked it so much that I bought the DVDs and started doing them at home. After a while, I started getting a little bored, so I just played the DVDs on mute, and played my own, faster-paced music, which made me go faster than the DVD did and made me work harder. When that didn't work anymore and I wanted something more intense, I started running 3 mile loops. That was last year. I think I need to start doing the tae-bo again.

krystl
01-04-06, 01:51 PM
I'd say I'm about 10-15 lbs more than I'd like to be. I'm working on my stomach section and I'm about to start the TaeBo Abs workout. Would someone suggest I do that workout and the layer of fat would burn off, or would the abs workout only expand my midsection?
Most exercise experts recommend a variety of workouts...I mean they don't recommend spot reducing one area. If you are doing just an ab workout, you should add a cardio workout as well, either the same day or alternating days.

As for expanding your midsection, I believe if you do ab exercises incorrectly, you can actually make the muscles bulge out instead of in, which would make your stomach look bigger. Someone please jump in here if I'm off base.