PDA

View Full Version : Are Umpires going to far with ejections?

Evil Empire
06-30-05, 09:30 PM
The Sheffield thing a few days ago, Todd Pratt and Johnny Estrada today, etc, all getting ejected for things that a player shouldn't be getting ejected for.

It's getting out of hand. People go to see players play, not getting ejected. When Steve Kline got ejected, he physically touched the umpire. That's different from exchanging words.

What'you all thing?

Casey at the Bat
06-30-05, 09:45 PM
I only saw the Sheff incident, so I will comment on that.

Disagreeing with an umpire is not going to get you tossed. The manner in which you voice your displeasure with the call is what gets you tossed. The umps are doing the right thing by tossing these buffoons (and yes, Ortiz was a buffoon too when he got tossed). The more they get tossed now, the less they will have to toss later, when everyone else realizes that if you act like a maniac over a blown call, not only are you out, but you get tossed out too. Having Sheffield react the way he did and not reprimanding him for it does nothing for the image of baseball. Not tossing him says that this kind of behavior is accepted, when it really shouldn't be.

Euclis
06-30-05, 09:46 PM
I remember papa jack getting ejected from a game because the umpire read his lips from the dugout. Apparently he was arguing balls and strikes under his breath.

As a general principle, I don't mind the ejections. I can't stand it when players constantly argue calls, that's the manager's job. Anything that discourages the players from arguing, I'll be partial to.

Casey at the Bat
06-30-05, 09:49 PM
I remember papa jack getting ejected from a game because the umpire read his lips from the dugout. Apparently he was arguing balls and strikes under his breath.

As a general principle, I don't mind the ejections. I can't stand it when players constantly argue calls, that's the manager's job. Anything that discourages the players from arguing, I'll be partial to.

I was at that game, and that was ridiculous!! Of course Francona gets tossed on purpose later for doing the same thing... and he deserved to be tossed.

I happened to be in the same hotel as the Sox coaching staff that weekend, and when I ran into Lynn Jones, I asked him why he didn't get tossed too to show team unity. He laughed his head off and said that someone needed to run the show.

WHIP
06-30-05, 09:50 PM
Estrada damn well should have gotten ejected. What he did tonight was completely inappropriate and over the line. Standing up, turning around, yelling "f*ck you" to the umpire and hollering - unprofessional and unacceptable behavior. Hump did the right thing in tossing his ass ASAP.

Mattpat11
06-30-05, 09:52 PM
I really think that umpires like Angel Hernandez have decided that they are in fact, part of the show. I remember one of the umps actually screaming back in David Ortiz's face last year after a clearly botched call. That's just not acceptable. I think in incidents where the umpire is as much at fault for the situation as the player (The Sheffield play) need to result in fines for the umpires.

terminator
06-30-05, 10:02 PM
I really think that umpires like Angel Hernandez have decided that they are in fact, part of the show. I remember one of the umps actually screaming back in David Ortiz's face last year after a clearly botched call. That's just not acceptable. I think in incidents where the umpire is as much at fault for the situation as the player (The Sheffield play) need to result in fines for the umpires.

Are you saying that whenever an umpire makes a wrong call, they should be fined?

Mattpat11
06-30-05, 10:10 PM
Are you saying that whenever an umpire makes a wrong call, they should be fined? I think whenever an umpire tries to incite a player they should be fined. Immediately ejecting Gary Sheffied for reacting to a ground out (forget that Bucknor blew that call badly. Sheffield was reacting to the out) Getting into the face of a screaming David Ortiz. Tim Tschida used to deliberately ................ with Buck Showalter. Whats his face ejecting Tino Martinez for god knows what reason in Milwaukee. No one has paid to see the umpires. I think as soon as an umpire escalates the situation past whatever it already was (Sheffield wasn't charging Bucknor until the bogus toss) they need to pay for it.

iamdoingthat
06-30-05, 10:32 PM
Pratt and Estrada seemed to have not deserved getting tossed. I always thought that as long as you didn't turn around to talk to the ump, you could pretty much say your piece, as long as you didn't go too far. Of course, I have no idea what they were saying behind their catcher's masks, so who knows?

Sheffield deserved to get tossed. Throwing your helmet down like that [b]while turning to the ump[b] is not acceptable. As an earlier post said, it sets a bad example to youngsters watching, and is desrespectful to the umpire. If he threw the helmet down while continuing straight down the line, I'd say he shouldn't get tossed, that's a show of frustration. If you're gonna argue, fine, but there have to be limits.

Kline is a no brainer. He lost it, bumped the ump through Maz, and deserved the tossing and suspension.

JT Snow also deserved to get tossed. Too extravagant a display of disrespect. Go into the dugout and throw your helmet

Call me Draconian, but you can't show up the umps right?

Sillycon
07-01-05, 12:58 PM
Estrada damn well should have gotten ejected. What he did tonight was completely inappropriate and over the line. Standing up, turning around, yelling "f*ck you" to the umpire and hollering - unprofessional and unacceptable behavior. Hump did the right thing in tossing his ass ASAP.

I dunno. The ump must've said something to make him snap. Just because the ump is squeezing you wouldn't make him turn around like that to get in his face. From what I've read, the ump was yelling and cursing at Estrada. That seems plausible judging from the reaction of Estrada...

Evil Empire
07-01-05, 01:30 PM
I dunno. The ump must've said something to make him snap. Just because the ump is squeezing you wouldn't make him turn around like that to get in his face. From what I've read, the ump was yelling and cursing at Estrada. That seems plausible judging from the reaction of Estrada...

Yeah. The Ump had to have said something. No catcher in the right mind just turns around and curses off the ump just for a bad call.

Pratts was way out of the blue.

Shlong
07-02-05, 01:24 AM

Estrada didn't say anything, but the Umpire kept cursing at Estrada in his ear & that made Estrada snap. Unprofessional act by the Umpire, if he just let it go & stopped cursing then it would've never happened but instead he provoked Estrada & wanted him to snap so he can eject him because he though he showed him up: http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050701&content_id=1111264&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Casey at the Bat
07-02-05, 08:27 PM
Okay, after watching Wells get tossed by a second-base umpire for yelling comments at the plate umpire... maybe the ejections are going a little too far. :D

Wells did a randy-johnson glove flip over a called ball that he thought was a strike. Batter gets a basehit on the next pitch, Wells flips the glove again and as the Ump starts walking towards him, Wells tells him to stay away from him, and walks away. Both parties are done, and then the second base umpire tosses him. Of course then Wells goes crazy like someone stole the last glazed donut... and everyone has to come out to restrain him so that he doesn't bump the umpire and get suspended.

Should be interesting to see if he gets fined or suspended for this altercation.

Evil Empire
07-02-05, 09:48 PM
Okay, after watching Wells get tossed by a second-base umpire for yelling comments at the plate umpire... maybe the ejections are going a little too far. :D

Wells did a randy-johnson glove flip over a called ball that he thought was a strike. Batter gets a basehit on the next pitch, Wells flips the glove again and as the Ump starts walking towards him, Wells tells him to stay away from him, and walks away. Both parties are done, and then the second base umpire tosses him. Of course then Wells goes crazy like someone stole the last glazed donut... and everyone has to come out to restrain him so that he doesn't bump the umpire and get suspended.

Should be interesting to see if he gets fined or suspended for this altercation.

The ejection was uncalled for. Wells was avoiding any confrontation, yet the ump still tosses him.

Wicked Retahded.

AndyLam
07-02-05, 09:54 PM
The second base ump - who approached Wells - should be fined. Wells and home plate were done and this joker starts walking to the mound and keeps it going. I think that things have gotten out of hand with the umps at this point. I think a few games and a few grand might get these jokers back in their proper place. It would have almost been worth the consequences for Wells to have broken that b@stards jaw.

AndyLam
07-02-05, 10:06 PM
Nice - NESN lets Wells bust out Fu*king @$$hole with out beeps - pretty funny stuff.

162Games162Headaches
07-02-05, 10:59 PM
The second base ump - who approached Wells - should be fined. Wells and home plate were done and this joker starts walking to the mound and keeps it going. I think that things have gotten out of hand with the umps at this point. I think a few games and a few grand might get these jokers back in their proper place. It would have almost been worth the consequences for Wells to have broken that b@stards jaw.

I think overall the umpires do a good job but the newer upms are trying to make a name for themselves. Problem is the umpires are not held accountable for their actions publicaly. If they make a bad call or have a bad game any MLB action is taken in private so no one know what if any action is taken against them.

That 2nd base ump Chris Guccione stepped way over the line, Wells and the home ump had words and it was over until he jumped in unprovoked looking for a confrontation.

StaceyRosie
07-02-05, 11:00 PM
I can't believe I'm siding with David Wells but he was getting hosed by the home plate ump and had a right to be pissed off and the second base ump went too far.

Morons.

SoCal Pinstriper
07-02-05, 11:35 PM
I can't believe I'm siding with David Wells but he was getting hosed by the home plate ump and had a right to be pissed off and the second base ump went too far.

Morons.Umpires have been seeking confrontations for quite some time now. they should be disciplined. Wells was in control and did nothing to get tossed.

JDPNYY
07-03-05, 12:02 AM
Any time a Red Sox Player gets tossed, I gotta feel the Umpire should get a Standing Ovation.

Casey at the Bat
07-03-05, 12:08 AM
Any time a Red Sox Player gets tossed, I gotta feel the Umpire should get a Standing Ovation.
That's why I love reading your posts. You are always so objective about things. :)

JDPNYY
07-03-05, 12:11 AM
I love reading your posts. :)

Oh, you're the one.

weavershrink
07-03-05, 02:09 AM
The gray area is just too large. Does the importance of the game factor into the decision? Personally I was shocked when Clemens didn't get tossed when he chucked the broken bat.

SubwayFanatic
07-03-05, 02:35 AM
The gray area is just too large. Does the importance of the game factor into the decision? Personally I was shocked when Clemens didn't get tossed when he chucked the broken bat.

Excuse me - he thought the broken bat was a baseball. Can't you see how those two items could be easily confused?

weavershrink
07-03-05, 02:47 AM
Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Why would he throw the baseball at the runner? He just got caught up in the moment and made a mistake. It happens. The question I raised though was why wasn't he ejected. Was it because he made the mistake during a post season game? Or is it that they've drawn a line in the sand that you cannot cross? Are they going to share their template with everyone?

kayebee
07-03-05, 09:15 AM
That 2nd base ump Chris Guccione stepped way over the line, Wells and the home ump had words and it was over until he jumped in unprovoked looking for a confrontation.

I was surprised the home plate umpire didn't eject Wells (I think this would have been justified for arguing ball and strike calls) but it was just bizarre when the 2nd base ump out of the blue threw him out of the game after the situation had calmed down. That was really strange--I don't think I've ever seen an umpire do something like that, essentially over ruling the home plate umpire, who had decided to let it go.

pjfan
07-03-05, 09:22 AM
i don't think the homeplate ump had any reason to toss wells....they had a few words, and both went on their way

2nd base ump is trying to get his face on sportscenter....hopefully he gets fined or suspended.......it will be interesting to see what type of reaction he gets today

dartek
07-03-05, 10:13 AM
i don't think the homeplate ump had any reason to toss wells....they had a few words, and both went on their way

2nd base ump is trying to get his face on sportscenter....hopefully he gets fined or suspended.......it will be interesting to see what type of reaction he gets today
The home plate ump had a case for tossing Wells, David was being awfully mouthy but when he dropped it it should have been over.

Evil Empire
07-03-05, 10:17 AM
The home plate ump had a case for tossing Wells, David was being awfully mouthy but when he dropped it it should have been over.

Yeah I'd go with this. Wells was AVOIDING confrontation by just turning around and waving him off, but the second base ump had to be a jack@$$

Is there a record for number of ejections within one week(not involving a brawl)?