PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com: Red Auerbaach on Phil Jackson, today's NBA...

RIyankee
06-17-05, 04:56 PM
If you're an old school NBA fan like myself, you'll love this... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2088260&num=0)

Rich
06-17-05, 05:18 PM
ESPN.com: Is a definition of a good coach someone who can win even when his team didn't have the best regular-season record or is not expected to win? For instance, you won the title in 1966 (Auerbach's last year coaching Boston) even though Philadelphia owned the better regular-season record. And Jackson did not win a title without Jordan, but came close, winning 55 games with Chicago in 1994.

Auerbach: Remember Doug Collins had that team and he won with it.

ESPN.com: He didn't win a championship with it.

Auerbach: No, but he was a winning coach and it was just a matter of time.

A lot of us feel the same way about Torre taking over Buck's team.

YankeeFan1
06-17-05, 07:13 PM
With all due respect to Auerbach, he doesn't know that "it was just a matter of time" that the Bulls would have won a championship under Collins. Jordan was an extremely selfish player under Collins and there was no evidence that he was getting any better. Auerbach then goes on to talk about how trust was the most important thing for players to have with their coach and again, there is no evidence that Jordan trust Collins. However, Jackson was able to come in, convince Jordan to trust him, the triangle and his teammates and then the Bulls started their amazing run. Actually this is one of the first interviews that Auerbach hasn't taken the opportunity to rip Phil so he gets credit for that, however, I suspect that he is being generous because he knows that Phil isn't winning another championship with Kobe.

Rich
06-17-05, 07:19 PM
Jordan, Pippen, and Grant would have won multiple championships, with or without Phil.

RIyankee
07-08-05, 11:22 PM
If Phil can win a title w/o Shaq, I'll be impressed.

Sierra Mist
07-09-05, 09:41 AM
A lot of us feel the same way about Torre taking over Buck's team.

It was never Buck's team, this team belongs to Mr. George M Steinbrenner, and the people of New York. We would have never won anything had Buck stayed.