06-07-05, 07:37 PM
Does he have good potential?

maldon
06-07-05, 07:38 PM
Nope. Look below.

my original post. I meant.

Buzah!
06-07-05, 07:39 PM
I don't mind the moneyball guys, but they all seem to be 22-23. Is this team really going to sit around and wait for a Jeff Devanon-type situation to happen?
We drafted Brad Halsey in 2002. It's 2005 and he's part of a major league rotation. I don't think we've taken a pitcher today who can't be as good or better than BH.

sugmasterflex
06-07-05, 07:40 PM
I don't think we've picked a bad player. this kid, like the 3B we drafted could project to catcher. Remember, it's possible that we know how much Henry and Anderson are gonna cost and are spotting other spending.

Henry and Jackson.

The dumbest thing this team has going for them is the strict budget for the draft. Henry will cost about 2M, Jackson (if he signs) 1.5M. Everyone else about 2M, combined. This team has a 200+ mil payroll, but can't even spend 1/20th of that in it's player development draft.

Buzah!
my original post. I meant.
I know.

mik3
We drafted Brad Halsey in 2002. It's 2005 and he's part of a major league rotation. I don't think we've taken a pitcher today who can't be as good or better than BH.
That's true, get them to the point that they're servicable major leaguers, and see what we can do from there. Maybe one or two become diamonds in the rough.

maldon
Yanks took a couple of high upside guys in Henry and Anderson and then went Moneyball everywhere else. I don't know about the Cuban, but he's probably more of a possible upside guy.

Who is Anderson? Do you mean Jackson?

Buzah!
06-07-05, 07:42 PM
Henry and Jackson.

The dumbest thing this team has going for them is the strict budget for the draft. Henry will cost about 2M, Jackson (if he signs) 1.5M. Everyone else about 2M, combined. This team has a 200+ mil payroll, but can't even spend 1/20th of that in it's player development draft.Thanks, long day. I agree with how frustrating the draft budget has been in the past, but think they have agreements in place this year.

Buzah!
06-07-05, 07:43 PM
Who is Anderson? Do you mean Jackson?I meant Jackson.

BomberBrian
06-07-05, 07:48 PM
Beane wasted that pick on smoak.

no way they come up with the money to sign him.

Fenrir
06-07-05, 07:49 PM
Picks I like: Henry, Cox, Pendleton, Horne

Picks I'm in between on: Gardner, Amonite, Anson

Picks I dislike: The rest

Picks I don't know about: Joel Perez

However, in the end, if they get Henry and Jackson signed, it'll be a success to me

Yankyfan
06-07-05, 07:50 PM
Sorry had to step away.Did we or anyone elsr draft Doherty?Could anyone put bios out on last 3 picks .Thanks :mickey:

Buzah!
06-07-05, 07:50 PM
Any more Yankee picks today?

Kulish29
06-07-05, 07:52 PM
I'm so frustrated I just want to scream.

This must be what it's like to be a Jets fan on draft day (years ago at least) :mickey:

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:02 PM
According to the BA Blog, 15th round selection Josh Schmidt was second in the NCAA with 13.3 strikeouts per 9 innings...

FWIW, pie-throwing lefty Zach Kroenke struck out 13 in his last start against Creighton leading his team to the Super Regionals. We'll get a chance to watch him pitch on TV...

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:02 PM
Sorry had to step away.Did we or anyone elsr draft Doherty?Could anyone put bios out on last 3 picks .Thanks :mickey:

He's still on the board...

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:04 PM
Any more Yankee picks today?

18th round selection was Joe Burke. Starting catcher for St. John's. They should've drafted someone else from St. John's...

Yankyfan
06-07-05, 08:06 PM
Thanks Y21.I was looking for the Yanks to chance Vavarro too.

ICEBERG18
06-07-05, 08:08 PM
RHP SHMITT any bio's

Tuesday, 7:19 PM: K's by the Baker's Dozen
by Will Kimmey

Giants fifth-round pick Dan Griffin, a righthander from Niagara, led the nation with 13.8 strikeouts per nine innings. Yankees 15th-round Josh Schmidt, a Pacific righthander, ranked second with 13.3

flymick24
06-07-05, 08:23 PM
have the yankees drafted any catchers?

Buzah!
06-07-05, 08:24 PM
at least 2.

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:24 PM

John Muich from Wichita State, and Joe Burke from St. John's...

flymick24
06-07-05, 08:26 PM
John Muich from Wichita State, and Joe Burke from St. John's...

i hope they pan out... i really do. we'll need one of them in about 2 years.

38Special
06-07-05, 08:32 PM
haha. neither of them are going to go past AA

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:35 PM
Muich has a shot at making it to the big leagues. He was one of the better picks today...

flymick24
06-07-05, 08:39 PM
so i assume the consensus is that the draft hasn't gone well for the yanks?

Yankyfan
06-07-05, 08:42 PM
I'd say SO SO .We made some nice picks but we could have been more daring IMO.WE took alot of college guys with limited skills when some high risk ,high reward HS players were availble.Well do better tommorow by drafting Doherty out of the box :mickey:

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:47 PM
so i assume the consensus is that the draft hasn't gone well for the yanks?

Nobody really knows at this point. We're all disappointed in some respect. I strongly dislike picking Henry over Hochevar and Hansen. Everyone else seems to dislike the focus on college players over high school players. I think the best pick they made today was Alan Horne. He was drafted in the 11th round. That should tell you something...

The fact is, we won't know how well they did until a couple of years from now. Generally, if 5 of your picks pan out, then you've had a hell of a draft...

Yanks21
06-07-05, 08:48 PM
I'd say SO SO .We made some nice picks but we could have been more daring IMO.WE took alot of college guys with limited skills when some high risk ,high reward HS players were availble.Well do better tommorow by drafting Doherty out of the box :mickey:

Guessing here, but at this point Doherty will probably go back to school for his Senior season...

HughesIsNasty
06-07-05, 08:55 PM
WOW! Josh Zeid is still out there. I say go after him tommarrrow. He goes to my High School and was projected by BA as a top 100 prospect. Im shocked. It probably looks like he is going to go to Vanderbuilt next year. Tommarrow I say we go after Zeid, Dorheity, Danks, and any other players that have real good potential and throw money at them. If we don not sign Jackson this draft is a failure.

Sam2448
06-07-05, 08:57 PM
Yea I don't see why he would sign. I mean, if he goes back to school and figures out his control, he will be a 1st round pick.

HughesIsNasty
06-07-05, 09:02 PM
who are you talking about? Zeid or Doherty?

Buzah!
06-07-05, 09:02 PM
I think it was pretty good. If they do indeead have Henry and Jackson, it was a great first day, regardlesss and everybody except the Cuban is a moneyball type player.

Yanks21
06-07-05, 09:03 PM
WOW! Josh Zeid is still out there. I say go after him tommarrrow. He goes to my High School and was projected by BA as a top 100 prospect. Im shocked. It probably looks like he is going to go to Vanderbuilt next year. Tommarrow I say we go after Zeid, Dorheity, Danks, and any other players that have real good potential and throw money at them. If we don not sign Jackson this draft is a failure.

Vanderbilt commitments are always tough signs. Your classmate is going to school. Danks is going to school too...

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to sign Jackson. You're too young to die...

The Yankees will pick a crap load of JUCOs tomorrow. They always do on the second day, and it's when they typically hit paydirt...

Yanks21
06-07-05, 09:06 PM
I think it was pretty good. If they do indeead have Henry and Jackson, it was a great first day, regardlesss and everybody except the Cuban is a moneyball type player.

Do we know anything about the Cuban player, other than the fact he's from Cuba?

Buzah!
06-07-05, 09:08 PM
Vanderbilt commitments are always tough signs. Your classmate is going to school. Danks is going to school too...

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to sign Jackson. You're too young to die...

The Yankees will pick a crap load of JUCOs tomorrow. They always do on the second day, and it's when they typically hit paydirt...I heard they weren't gonna pick him unless they knew he'd sign.

Yanks21
06-07-05, 09:14 PM
I heard they weren't gonna pick him unless they knew he'd sign.

HidekiFan mentioned that earlier. Obviously, he has great sources...

From what I've heard, Jackson expects to replace Jarrett Jack as the starting PG for GIT next season...

I sincerely hope HidekiFan's peeps are on the money with this one...

Ironically, if they do sign Jackson, I'll be even more pissed about passing on Hochevar/Hansen...

Buzah!
06-07-05, 09:17 PM
HidekiFan mentioned that earlier. Obviously, he has great sources...

From what I've heard, Jackson expects to replace Jarrett Jack as the starting PG for GIT next season...

I sincerely hope HidekiFan's peeps are on the money with this one...

Ironically, if they do sign Jackson, I'll be even more pissed about passing on Hochevar/Hansen...
I didn't hear it from HidekiFan.

Stealthspy
06-07-05, 10:12 PM
so i assume the consensus is that the draft hasn't gone well for the yanks?I'd have to agree with Yankyfan here. But the draft summary thread has a post by HF55 which sums my opinions up excellently.

sugmasterflex
06-07-05, 11:05 PM
The draft, if they sign both Henry and Jackson,would be decent. If they don't, it would be bad. The only way this turns into a good draft is if they pick a high ceiling pitcher like Satterwhite and sign him. Again, why no prep pitchers again?

Yankyfan
06-08-05, 10:14 AM
I hear that if Doherty is drafted by Us or Philly he'd proably sign.He was projected as the 16th top player in the east.We drafted guys that didn't even make the board.I like that we drafted a local guy from SJ's but if you can tell me that you feel he has more upside then Ryan I'll strongly dis agree.Doherty could be a bust but he also could be the best relief pitcher in this draft.Ryan has added 60 pounds to 7-2 frame.It will take time for his motor skills to catch up.If they do ,and I know its an if,but if they do look out.As a Sr in HS he was 90-94 on the gun.He can, and i bet will be there again and to have that speed alone with an un matched release point is somthing we have only seen from 2 other guy's.RJ and Ryan Anderson who before being taken down by the injury bug was rated as the top pitching prospect in baseball.If you think a catcher with limited catching skills and a so-so bat is a smarter pick then Doherty ,who has the chance to be dominating ,we'll have to dis agree then.JMO! :mickey:

mbn007
06-08-05, 10:42 AM
I hear that if Doherty is drafted by Us or Philly he'd proably sign.He was projected as the 16th top player in the east.We drafted guys that didn't even make the board.I like that we drafted a local guy from SJ's but if you can tell me that you feel he has more upside then Ryan I'll strongly dis agree.Doherty could be a bust but he also could be the best relief pitcher in this draft.Ryan has added 60 pounds to 7-2 frame.It will take time for his motor skills to catch up.If they do ,and I know its an if,but if they do look out.As a Sr in HS he was 90-94 on the gun.He can, and i bet will be there again and to have that speed alone with an un matched release point is somthing we have only seen from 2 other guy's.RJ and Ryan Anderson who before being taken down by the injury bug was rated as the top pitching prospect in baseball.If you think a catcher with limited catching skills and a so-so bat is a smarter pick then Doherty ,who has the chance to be dominating ,we'll have to dis agree then.JMO! :mickey:

You would think someone would have taken a flyer on him already after round 10. So there is more here then meets the eye. Obviously, most scouts disagree with your assessment.

ICEBERG18
06-08-05, 11:02 AM
"Two-sport guys, people get a little wary. We're going to try to get him signed, but they're risky," said Oppenheimer, who feels the team has a pretty good shot at signing Jackson. "We're going to make a run at Austin Jackson. If you have a chance to put an athlete like him into your system, you have to do it."

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050607&content_id=1080395&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy