PDA

View Full Version : G.p.s.

Dooley Womack
05-11-05, 12:06 PM
Any recommendations on an aftermarket GPS, preferably, one with voice instructions?

Also I'd like to hear some pros and cons on the system you might have, how accurate it is, user friendliness, cost, etc..

If you don't have one, we can still use this thread to hear your thoughts about them in general.

Hitman
05-11-05, 02:49 PM
Popular subject.

Evil Empire
05-11-05, 02:50 PM
We had one on our Jaguar. It was really great. I don't know about any good standalone ones though.

Dooley Womack
07-08-05, 09:23 PM
So I've narrowed my choices down to the Magellan RoadMate 760 (new and more feature-rich than the 700) and the Garmin 2620. Anybody have experience with either? Don't all chime in together now. :)

DanB
07-08-05, 09:33 PM
don't know much about the one's you're talking about, but as far as handhelds go I'm fairly familiar with both brands and I personally prefer Garmin. I own a Legend and love it. Easy to use and rugged as well as updateable online. For what it's worth.

BronxByTheBay
07-08-05, 09:33 PM
So I've narrowed my choices down to the Magellan RoadMate 760 (new and more feature-rich than the 700) and the Garmin 2620. Anybody have experience with either? Don't all chime in together now. :)

Just try asking about Blackberries. If it weren't for Rsoxhater I would have been totally f*cked.

Maybe you should rename the thread: "G.p.s. and Tom Cruise".

cubswin
07-08-05, 09:42 PM
handheld?

anyoneseenthebridge
07-08-05, 10:06 PM
I find the GPS more of a hassle - just one more thing I have to rig up in my car. My laptop with MS Streets & Trips does the job. Sometimes I'll use the GPS if I need to impress people.

Dooley Womack
07-08-05, 10:30 PM
handheld?

Here's the Magellan 760. It's new and retails for about $1,100 but not available (or limited supply) to the stores yet.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1091

Dooley Womack
07-08-05, 10:34 PM
I find the GPS more of a hassle - just one more thing I have to rig up in my car. My laptop with MS Streets & Trips does the job. Sometimes I'll use the GPS if I need to impress people.

I'm not crazy about MS Streets and MapQuest is totally f'd up. If an exit curves even slightly, they consider that a turn. You wind up going in circles sometimes. Plus, who the heck needs to be a human compass with directions like "start out by going SW."

Mine wouldn't be used to impress at all. I travel enough to new locations and I prefer to be confident that I get to these places in timely fashion without going off coarse.

Dooley Womack
07-08-05, 10:37 PM
Just try asking about Blackberries. If it weren't for Rsoxhater I would have been totally f*cked.

Maybe you should rename the thread: "G.p.s. and Tom Cruise".

Yeah I caught that thread.

I was thinking about renaming this thread to, "What would Tom Cruise suggest that I do if I'm too depressed to key in addresses on my GPS."

anyoneseenthebridge
07-08-05, 10:59 PM
I'm not crazy about MS Streets and MapQuest is totally f'd up. If an exit curves even slightly, they consider that a turn. You wind up going in circles sometimes. Plus, who the heck needs to be a human compass with directions like "start out by going SW."

Mine wouldn't be used to impress at all. I travel enough to new locations and I prefer to be confident that I get to these places in timely fashion without going off coarse.

I never even look at the written directions. I plot the route and zoom in and out accordingly. I usually just print out maps and note the exits unless there's a possibility of getting of course, like in a large downtown. Then I have S&T running just in case.

Gringaloca
07-09-05, 12:17 AM
The Garmin 'handheld' was a 'lifesaver' last summer fishing off the Florida Keys. :D
To make a long story short...It helped get us back to the marina with no damage to 'vessel' or 'fisherman/fisherwoman' on board..:)

Dooley Womack
07-09-05, 12:33 AM
The Garmin 'handheld' was a 'lifesaver' last summer fishing off the Florida Keys. :D
To make a long story short...It helped get us back to the marina with no damage to 'vessel' or 'fisherman/fisherwoman' on board..:)

I've heard of stories like this and it proves that it's more than just a toy, though I like that aspect (toy) as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm kind of slightly leaning toward Magellan's 760's features over the Garmin (for now) though I'm hearing that both are top-notch.

BronxByTheBay
07-09-05, 12:36 AM
I've heard of stories like this and it proves that it's more than just a toy, though I like that aspect (toy) as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm kind of slightly leaning toward Magellan's 760's features over the Garmin (for now) though I'm hearing that both are top-notch.

I was thinking of getting one of these, but quite frankly I'm not sure it's worth the money. If you REALLY want a new toy, I strongly suggest buying a new PDA. I had a blast this past week and am almost depressed I made my decision.

Now I have to figure out what my next shiney new dealy will be...

cubswin
07-09-05, 12:45 AM

yup -- can be invaluable when hiking, too

cubswin
07-09-05, 12:52 AM
Here's the Magellan 760. It's new and retails for about $1,100 but not available (or limited supply) to the stores yet.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1091

ah -- OK

A friend who does outdoors stuff loves hi s garmin, but it's a totally different product.

(btw, I know somebody else said they don't like their car system, but fwiw, my car came with one (which I didn't want, btw), and now I can't imagine not having one -- it's a fantastic product)

Dooley Womack
07-10-05, 05:05 AM
ah -- OK

(btw, I know somebody else said they don't like their car system, but fwiw, my car came with one (which I didn't want, btw), and now I can't imagine not having one -- it's a fantastic product)

My mistake is not getting one that was factory installed when I purchased my vehicle.

bnorris85
07-10-05, 02:06 PM
i have alpine navigation...it is byfar the best i have seen. Only time it didnt know where i was was when i was in the middle of cowland deleware (and i hadnt changed its setting from northeast). Voice instructions are great, mutes the music as it talks...i set it on minimal talking though, cause on normal they like to remind a lot.

http://www.xtreme3kgt.com/albums/album08/DSCN0529.sized.jpg

silverdsl
07-10-05, 02:52 PM
I've got a handheld Garmin which I don't use as much anymore now that I have the navi that came with my car but the Garmin unit was great when I did use it.

-Deborah

Dooley Womack
07-11-05, 02:18 AM
i have alpine navigation...it is byfar the best i have seen. Only time it didnt know where i was was when i was in the middle of cowland deleware (and i hadnt changed its setting from northeast). Voice instructions are great, mutes the music as it talks...i set it on minimal talking though, cause on normal they like to remind a lot.

http://www.xtreme3kgt.com/albums/album08/DSCN0529.sized.jpg

I've got a handheld Garmin which I don't use as much anymore now that I have the navi that came with my car but the Garmin unit was great when I did use it.

-Deborah

Thanks for the recommendations.

Deb, Jim was telling me about the Garmin too. I think I'm leaning toward the Magellan 760 that just came out. Most of the reviews have been very good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009MFQ12/ref=pd_sxp_f/104-1711422-1378337?v=glance&s=electronics

yanksrule69
11-30-05, 10:15 AM
I want to buy a navigation system for a Christmas present and I know nothing about these things.

Dooley - which one did you end up with?

anyone with more suggestions/reviews?

Buckeye Yank
11-30-05, 10:19 AM
I want to buy a navigation system for a Christmas present and I know nothing about these things.

I saw another one advertised on TV called "Tom Tom" I think.

Dooley Womack
11-30-05, 10:23 AM

The Garmin 2720. It was also rated by PC Mag as the best. The screen is amazing and probably the only unit out there not affected by sun glare. Just remember, if you get it, make sure you upgrade the software from Garmin's site (it's free). Earlier versions on some models took a little longer to acquire satellites.

The list is over a grand, but you can probably get it for about $800 or less somewhere.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1866425,00.asp

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

Dooley Womack
11-30-05, 10:26 AM
I saw another one advertised on TV called "Tom Tom" I think.

I've done a lot of research on GPS units. The word is to stay away from Tom Tom's in the US. It's mapping (TeleNav) is awful compared to what most other U.S. Gps's use (NavTeq).

In Europe (where it's manufactured) the Tom Tom is fine.

Dooley Womack
11-30-05, 10:29 AM

Here's some reviews. Keep in mind that all models have some bad reviews, but the Garmin 2720 seems to have the least and most are impressed with its routing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A5T7AO/qid=1133364454/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2467434-8256715?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

Also, here is a forum I found while I was doing my homework for GPS's. These people are huge, passionate, GPS aficionados. Garmin seems to be the GPS of choice for most, though some own Magellans and Tom Toms and others. As you'll see, there are also separate discussions and threads per manufacturer and then by model. PLUS, these people are extremely helpful if you have any questions. (You'd have to join to post).

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

Sam18
11-30-05, 11:32 AM
I use a map and a compass.

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 11:43 AM
Can the map and compass talk in different(sometimes sexy) voices?

Sam18
11-30-05, 11:47 AM
Can the map and compass talk in different(sometimes sexy) voices?

Come on now, even I don't beat off to a GPS machine.

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 11:58 AM
Come on now, even I don't beat off to a GPS machine.
Neither do I. :looking: :thatsodd:

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:00 PM
Neither do I. :looking: :thatsodd:

THen why are you so interested in the sexyness of the voice?

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:01 PM
THen why are you so interested in the sexyness of the voice?
Would you rather listen to a raspy, ugly, deep, disgusting voice?

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:03 PM
Would you rather listen to a raspy, ugly, deep, disgusting voice?

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:06 PM
Can I borrow them? My GPS ran out of batteries and I'm lost.

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:06 PM
Can I borrow them? My GPS ran out of batteries and I'm lost.

Why don't you ask your friend Superman?

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:09 PM
Why don't you ask your friend Superman?
I would but he's saving Batman's ass from some stupid clown.

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:11 PM
I would but he's saving Batman's ass from some stupid clown.

Still on crack I see. No wonder you're lost.

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:13 PM
Still on crack I see. No wonder you're lost.
If by 'crack' you mean 'a sexy broad' then yes, I am.

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:14 PM
If by 'crack' you mean 'a sexy broad' then yes, I am.

No, by "crack" I mean "long metal pole".

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:16 PM

If by 'long metal pole' you mean 'sexy EUROPEAN broad' then yes, I am.

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:17 PM

No, by "long metal pole" I mean "Archer1979".

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:18 PM
No, by "long metal pole" I mean "Archer1979".
Oh, then you mean 'short flaccid pole.'

Buckeye Yank
11-30-05, 12:20 PM

Any time the two of you show up, it's an automatic.....

:-hijack-: ;)

Sam18
Oh, then you mean 'short flaccid pole.'

Your words, not mine.

Jim F.
For some reason, whenever I use the woman's voice on my car's navi, I always get lost...

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:21 PM
Any time the two of you show up, it's an automatic.....

:-hijack-: ;)
We're talking about a map and compass in comparison to the GPS.

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:21 PM
For some reason, whenever I use the woman's voice on my car's navi, I always get lost...

:lol: :lol:

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:22 PM
:lol:

Mine was always a woman, just different country accents. The American voice was so obnoxious compared to the British voice. :lol:

Sam18
11-30-05, 12:25 PM
:lol:

Mine was always a woman, just different country accents. The American voice was so obnoxious compared to the British voice. :lol:

As an asian american I'm offended by your comments.

Buckeye Yank
11-30-05, 12:25 PM
We're talking about a map and compass in comparison to the GPS.
Obviously. (where is that rolleyes smiley when you need it?) ;)

Evil Empire
11-30-05, 12:27 PM
Obviously. (where is that rolleyes smiley when you need it?) ;)
Sigh, I hate using this on myself but...

http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14732

Buckeye Yank
11-30-05, 12:30 PM
Sigh, I hate using this on myself but...

http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14732
Now I'M perpetuating the hijacking but.......what a dork!!! :-rofl-: :roflmao:

krystl
11-30-05, 02:39 PM
I saw the Garmin Street Pilot i3 advertised recently for less than $350 I think, and I was thinking of getting it for my husand for Christmas since he is always driving to different places to give estimates and such.

I am sure it is nowhere near as impressive as some of the bigger more expensive models, but would it be adequate or is it a waste of money?
It's portable, so it can be used in more than one vehicle, which would definitely come in handy.

I really don't want to spend $500-1000 bucks on one of these things if he may not use it.

Dooley Womack
12-01-05, 12:06 AM
I saw the Garmin Street Pilot i3 advertised recently for less than $350 I think, and I was thinking of getting it for my husand for Christmas since he is always driving to different places to give estimates and such.

I am sure it is nowhere near as impressive as some of the bigger more expensive models, but would it be adequate or is it a waste of money?
It's portable, so it can be used in more than one vehicle, which would definitely come in handy.

I really don't want to spend $500-1000 bucks on one of these things if he may not use it.

I believe you need to load the maps into the i3 as opposed to the 340 and 2720 which come preloaded. That won't be a big deal for you, I'm sure. It's also not as customizable and has less options, hence the lower price. It'll get you from point A to point B if that's all you need, but you cannot pre-route to several destinations as you can with the 2720, if needed.

yanksrule69
12-01-05, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been looking around. Dooley that 2720 looks nice but I don't think I want to spend that much. I'm looking at the Garmin c330 it seems to get good reviews for the less expensive units.

krystl
12-01-05, 09:55 AM
I believe you need to load the maps into the i3 as opposed to the 340 and 2720 which come preloaded. That won't be a big deal for you, I'm sure. It's also not as customizable and has less options, hence the lower price. It'll get you from point A to point B if that's all you need, but you cannot pre-route to several destinations as you can with the 2720, if needed.
I read some reviews about it and it seems adequate for my husband's needs.
I guess the fact that you would have to reload any new locations every time might be a problem because he sometimes goes to more than one new customer's house per day.

I don't really know if he would use it or not, so I don't want to spend upwards of $1000 if it's not something he would find useful. I am sure we can always upgrade to a better model if he really likes it.

Maybe something a little better but still not as pricey would be a more practical option.

Jen19
12-01-05, 08:09 PM
I won't be much help...all I know is my friend has a Lexus SUV and hers has GPS that seems great. I have no idea what kind it is though... :(

krystl
12-16-05, 07:36 PM
I went for the Garmin 2720 afterall. I got it for $749 from WalMart.com. That's a lot less $$ than most other places. If I need to return it for any reason, I can either ship it back or bring it to a WalMart store for a refund.

Hubby is getting it for Christmas, so he won't be using it until then, but we will be in Florida and will have a rental car for the week we can use it in, plus he'll be able to test it out more on the drive back home.

I think it will be a great thing for him. Everytime he calls me and asks where some street is, or has to pull out one of his maps, I get all happy thinking about how much this will come in handy for him. :)

Dooley Womack
12-16-05, 08:20 PM
I went for the Garmin 2720 afterall. I got it for $749 from WalMart.com. That's a lot less $$ than most other places. If I need to return it for any reason, I can either ship it back or bring it to a WalMart store for a refund.

Hubby is getting it for Christmas, so he won't be using it until then, but we will be in Florida and will have a rental car for the week we can use it in, plus he'll be able to test it out more on the drive back home.

I think it will be a great thing for him. Everytime he calls me and asks where some street is, or has to pull out one of his maps, I get all happy thinking about how much this will come in handy for him. :)

Good move. Your hubby is a lucky man, what a great gift!

When you get it upgrade it to 2.9. 4.40 is the latest version but it was found to have a bug so Garmin is working on fixing it. IF it hasn't been fixed by the time you get it, then like I said go to version 2.9. Unfortunately you can't get this older version (which was prior to 4.40) on their site, but if want, PM me and I'll direct you to a link to get it and I'll also tell you about great forum with a lot of GPS geeks who are very helpful.

krystl
01-02-06, 02:35 AM
Update...well, hubby loves the GPS. We call it Jill (that's the name of the female voice we use. :lol:
It was very handy to have in Florida with a rental car when we didn't know our way around. We used it to find a Chinese Buffet (not the best thing in Florida we decided), a house with an amazing Chrstmas light display, the beach and shopping areas, and the local hospital when my stepson's fiance got really badly cut when she tripped and fell into the bayou full of jagged oyster shells.

The only bad thing so far is that it doesn't work right in my car. It goes all batty and says we are on roads we aren't.
guess it's because of the coating on my windshield because it worked fine in the rental minivan and the RV as well as hubby's work van. I looked on Garmin's website for the part and I found it's an external remote antenna that Garmin gets $100 for. I will look elsewhere to see if I can find it cheaper.

Dooley, I don't know offhand what version the software is. It probably says it as soon as it powers up, right? I have to pay attention next time.

Thanks for the recommendation. It really is a cool thing to have. We all enjoyed the ease of using it and were just like litte kids with a new toy. :)

Dooley Womack
01-04-06, 02:43 PM
Update...well, hubby loves the GPS. We call it Jill (that's the name of the female voice we use. :lol:
It was very handy to have in Florida with a rental car when we didn't know our way around. We used it to find a Chinese Buffet (not the best thing in Florida we decided), a house with an amazing Chrstmas light display, the beach and shopping areas, and the local hospital when my stepson's fiance got really badly cut when she tripped and fell into the bayou full of jagged oyster shells.

The only bad thing so far is that it doesn't work right in my car. It goes all batty and says we are on roads we aren't.
guess it's because of the coating on my windshield because it worked fine in the rental minivan and the RV as well as hubby's work van. I looked on Garmin's website for the part and I found it's an external remote antenna that Garmin gets $100 for. I will look elsewhere to see if I can find it cheaper.

Dooley, I don't know offhand what version the software is. It probably says it as soon as it powers up, right? I have to pay attention next time.

Thanks for the recommendation. It really is a cool thing to have. We all enjoyed the ease of using it and were just like litte kids with a new toy. :)

You're welcome and I'm glad you're happy with it! :)

Anyway, here you go. It's $49.00 here and supposedly even better than Garmin's antenna, according to the GPS experts. :)

http://www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/antennas/mcx.htm

also a comparison test, Garmin vs Gilsson:

http://www.gilsson.com/external_gps_antenna_comparison.htm

I would guess that it is the coating on your windeshield (esp if it works well in hubby's car) and this will help. That's a problem with any GPS (windshield coating).

BTW, go to Garmin's site and download the latest version (4.5) which fixes some older bugs and also adds better features. The "experts" on that forum seem to agree that this is a useful and good update. See the bottom of this page for the link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00408-02

(I'll also PM this in case you miss it)

krystl
01-04-06, 07:51 PM
Thanks Dools. Got the PM and replied. :)