PDA

View Full Version : The "I had a better draft than you" trash talking thread

PinstripePride
03-18-05, 11:58 PM
My team rucking focks. You're all gonna get axed baby. I'm very happy with my draft results.

How do the rest of you think you did?

Oh, and Patrick - Hit the waiver wire hard, dude. :P ;)

bakntime
03-18-05, 11:59 PM
I thought it would be good to have a thread where you discuss how the draft went for you (draft room "issues" aside, just looking at your team).

Soriambi
03-19-05, 12:00 AM
Cross posting this from where I posted it in Mike's Firefox thread, and choosing to ignore Vito's suggestion to keep this just to teams ;):

So true.

A note to everyone:

To those who were there:

I'm sorry that the draft was as chaotic as it was. When you have 100 keepers, a very buggy draft room, and Nick Swisher, these things will happen. We did the best we could. :)

To those who weren't there:

I think pre-rankings might have been messed up a bit, but I'm not sure. You probably have some guys who you really didn't want. I'm sorry about that, but there was really nothing and there really is nothing that we could have or can do about it.

A note on some mistakes:

There were a few mistakes in the draft. Those who were there know about the "Nick Swisher" incidents.

Swisher will be an 8th Rounder is Sax chooses to keep him, because that is the first of the two times he was taken. (If you weren't there, don't even ask. ;))

Adam Dunn was accidentally picked in the 3rd round and slipped through the cracks, even though he was supposed to be a 5th rounder. We had the owner who picked Dunn pick a player for the NY Bombers in the 5th round, and we will be forcing a trade, Dunn for Lyle Overbay, and NY Bombers gets to pick the player they kept in the 3rd. So, in theory, NY Bombers is getting two 3rd round valued players and the offending team two 5th round value players. Next year, Dunn will be a 3rd round keeper if Rich chooses to keep him.

There was also a situation in which we missed another keeper. Tuggers Sluggers were supposed to take Yhency Brazoban and Mark Hendrickson in the 19th and 20th rounds. We missed Brazoban in the 19th round and we had him take them in the 20th and 21st. Next year, Brazoban will be a 17th round keeper and Hendrickson will be a 18th rounder, if Pete chooses to keep them.

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 12:01 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=80250

I beat you by seconds Vito. :P

Big_E
03-19-05, 12:02 AM
My team rucking focks. You're all gonna get axed baby. I'm very happy with my draft results.

How do the rest of you think you did?

Well, using 2004 actual stats, I have the best team in the league.
Using 2005 projected stats, I have the best team in the league.

I think I did OK. :)

JDPNYY
03-19-05, 12:04 AM
I thought it would be good to have a thread where you discuss how the draft went for you (draft room "issues" aside, just looking at your team).

I was pretty happy with the way things went for my draft. The only players snatched from me right before I was to draft both happened in round 14 (and it was only for a back up position), I lost out on Mike Lieberthal and Rob Mackowiak.

I think I have a balanced lineup and I need things to go well for my pitching staff. If the Pitchers hold up, I think my team can finish out of the basement.

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 12:05 AM
I'd also like to say a quick but heartfelt thank you to our co-commish Kevin, for doing an AMAZING job tonight. Despite COUNTLESS screwups, freezes, wrong picks, and frustration, Kevin was level-headed and understanding through the whole damn thing. I for one really appreciate it. To everyone else who helped the draft go smoothly, a big thanks to you too.

I can't wait for the season.

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 12:07 AM

Where are you getting these stats from? Pete? :P

JDPNYY
03-19-05, 12:09 AM

Let's all hope you don't encounter a rash of injuries and unfortunate & unexplained player collapses in 2005.

Big_E
03-19-05, 12:14 AM
Where are you getting these stats from? Pete? :P

The sportsline site. All sorts of fun stats there.

Big_E
03-19-05, 12:15 AM
Let's all hope you don't encounter a rash of injuries and unfortunate & unexplained player collapses in 2005.

Well, you have Furcal this year, so I don't have to worry about him. :D

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 12:17 AM
The sportsline site. All sorts of fun stats there.

Really? I didn't know Sportsline gave stats. :p

Big_E
03-19-05, 12:19 AM
Really? I didn't know Sportsline gave stats. :p

Yeah, imagine that! :D

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 12:55 AM
My pick for best team: 4 Horsemen.

Soriambi
03-19-05, 01:21 AM
Note: Because he accidentally used a placeholder for Nick Swisher and graciously agreed to pick the actual Swisher so that draft robots wouldn't later in the draft, Saxmania receives a supplemental pick, as we said in the draft. He'll let me know who he wants of the undrafted guys, and that player will be added to his team in exchange for the placeholder Swisher. So if you make an add/drop and he selects the player you tried to claim, he gets that player. (Obviously, just this once.)

patrick.o
03-19-05, 01:31 AM

Everyone get your kicks in now while you have the chance, because by the end of the season I will be owning you all like a stable of dirty prostitutes! If any of you is fool enough to count out the Defending Back to Back Ruth Division Champion Naked Truth you do so at your own peril!!! First order of business: getting the Fukuoka Hawks to trade Tony Batitsta to a MLB team!

My team actually isn't as outright horrible as it appears as I'm going to gain a bit of position flexibility and depth after the season starts. I sure could use a couple starters though. Nice job by sportsline :uhh:

Stupid Flanders
03-19-05, 01:34 AM
I like my rotation.

I'm thin in the pen.

I think I can compete

Soriambi
03-19-05, 01:43 AM
I'm gonna ask here again-anyone other than Sax (if it's absolutely neccesary) willing to do a write up on a division? A few teams? Anything? I'll do it all if I have to, but I'm just asking again. :)

I'd appreciate if, at the least, the owners would complete this short survey and send it to me via PM:

1.) What was your strategy going into the draft?

2.) Do you feel that you followed your strategy? If so, how? If not, why didn't you?

3.) Did you have any "targets" in the draft? Did you get them?

4.) What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses as a team?

5.) If you had to guess on your five keepers for 2006, who would you guess they will be?

6.) Create an adjective for how bad the Sportsline site was.

7.) Who was your best pick overall? Who was your worst pick? Who were your sleepers?

8.) Do you have any other comments about your team? Where do you think you'll finish?

Feel free to be as brief or elaborate as you wish, but I'd like to get a response from everyone. :)

Stupid Flanders
03-19-05, 01:56 AM
Kevin, I will do a division this weekend
Let me know which one

bakntime
03-19-05, 02:15 AM
Last year my team's biggest weaknesses were pitching and catcher. I got decent enough production everywhere else.

So this draft, I decided to put a concerted effort on building a good pitching staff. I think I succeeded, ending up with 3 closers in Francisco Rodriguez, Jason Isringhausen, and Greg Aquino, as well as a closer on my bench in Mike Adams.

For my starting rotation, I have Sheets, Oswalt, Pettitte, Tomko, and Zambrano (Victor), as well as Loaiza for insurance (hey, he's bound to be good now that he's left the Yankees). If healthy, this could be a great staff.

My catching weakness from last year has hopefully been filled with Brandon Inge, who will be the Tiger's starting 3rd baseman.

Rounding out my offense are Hideki Matsui, Michael Young, Jermain Dye, and Shea Hillenbrand, as well as several young players on the rise in Chase Utley, Brad Hawpe, Dallas McPherson, Jorge Piedra, BJ Upton, and Ruben Gotay.

All in all I am very pleased with my draft. I wanted to focus on pitching right from the outset, as more often than not it seemed like the final scores in matches last season came down to whoever had the best pitching week more often that who had the best offense, especially seeing as there were often pitchers (both starters and relievers) who were posting very low or negative point totals.

I don't think my focus on drafting pitching took too much away from my offense either, as I tried to draft offensive players that have flown under the radar.

Coney36
03-19-05, 02:16 AM
Oh you all know... my draft was AWESOME!!!

Okay, well, given my obsession with Pujols, getting Pujols to last until the 4th pick pretty much made my draft and my day. And yeah, I might not have excessive power or pitching, but I seem pretty balanced... outside of that goof with Trachsel anyway.

BTW, anyone need a SS???

miko
03-19-05, 02:51 AM
Draft Robot Blows Goats!

He screwed me - my team is not at all like I envisioned it. Anyways, I think I will be eating crow this summer which is expecially crappy since I laid the insults on pretty thick this off season - my apologies E & BM - take it easy on me please!

Good luck everyone!

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 09:03 AM
Everyone get your kicks in now while you have the chance, because by the end of the season I will be owning you all like a stable of dirty prostitutes! If any of you is fool enough to count out the Defending Back to Back Ruth Division Champion Naked Truth you do so at your own peril!!! First order of business: getting the Fukuoka Hawks to trade Tony Batitsta to a MLB team!

My team actually isn't as outright horrible as it appears as I'm going to gain a bit of position flexibility and depth after the season starts. I sure could use a couple starters though. Nice job by sportsline :uhh:

I had to get one shot in. :) Honestly though, I feel really bad for you. I can't believe some of the guys Sportsline took. What a joke. Like I told Kevin last night, if I was you I would've attempted a heavy weapons assault on CBS offices upon viewing my team. Good luck patching things up, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Big_E
03-19-05, 09:08 AM
Draft Robot Blows Goats!

He screwed me - my team is not at all like I envisioned it. Anyways, I think I will be eating crow this summer which is expecially crappy since I laid the insults on pretty thick this off season - my apologies E & BM - take it easy on me please!

Good luck everyone!

:lol: I'll wait until I actually win a game or two...if this is like last year that will take two months. :lol:

Big_E
03-19-05, 09:09 AM
Oh you all know... my draft was AWESOME!!!

Okay, well, given my obsession with Pujols, getting Pujols to last until the 4th pick pretty much made my draft and my day. And yeah, I might not have excessive power or pitching, but I seem pretty balanced... outside of that goof with Trachsel anyway.

BTW, anyone need a SS???

I'm still upset about Unit not falling to 5th! :argh:

Clive
03-19-05, 12:16 PM
I'm still upset about Unit not falling to 5th! :argh:You still want him? I'm willing to deal him. :D

Big_E
03-19-05, 12:18 PM
You still want him? I'm willing to deal him. :D

Ishii for Unit? ;)

Clive
03-19-05, 12:19 PM
Ishii for Unit? ;)I'd love to do that but I doubt we'd get it approved by the rest of the league. ;)

bakntime
03-19-05, 01:10 PM

My team actually isn't as outright horrible as it appears as I'm going to gain a bit of position flexibility and depth after the season starts. I sure could use a couple starters though. Nice job by sportsline :uhh:I know it's way to late for this now, Patrick, but there was an option before the draft to set your draft queue to the draft averages of all previous SL drafts so far this season. That could have prevented some of those picks.

Some of SL's default pre-rankings are downright ridiculous.

Big_E
03-19-05, 01:12 PM
...there was an option before the draft to set your draft queue to the draft averages of all previous SL drafts so far this season...

I did that as a starting point...it certainly looked much better than the default.

bakntime
03-19-05, 01:17 PM
I did that as a starting point...it certainly looked much better than the default.Me too. It helped a lot. Much less pre-ranking was needed after that, as players were in much more reasonable slots. Not that there still weren't some bad picks in high spots, but it was much better.

Hitman23
03-19-05, 03:15 PM
Vito/Kevin....

You guys did an awesome job and I thank you for it. The problems in the room were not yours, so don't take the frustrations personally. I noticed the ranking problem. I tried to get all the keepers out but couldn't figure it out before the draft. And in the room the way it was sorted and ranked was confusing. At least to me it was. Guys that I thought I ranked weren't where they should have been and if they weren't taken I wasn't always aware of it. I figured everything out about the 5th round so it was cool after that for the most part.

I hope I can recover from a crappy draft for me. Usually I can, but the depth of this league makes that a little difficult. I have work to do.....

Good luck everyone! :cool:

Soriambi
03-19-05, 03:29 PM
Vito/Kevin....

You guys did an awesome job and I thank you for it. The problems in the room were not yours, so don't take the frustrations personally.

Thanks, Steve, and Jason for your comments earlier. You said Vito and Kevin, Steve, but Eric deserves a big thank you, too. He helped out with pausing the draft a few times, and of course his keeper spreadsheets were the ones we used to help things run smoothly. :)

yankeesrule2000
03-19-05, 03:30 PM
the Draft robot picked Giambi for me in the 3rd round...Enough said..

bakntime
03-19-05, 04:10 PM
Vito/Kevin....

You guys did an awesome job and I thank you for it. Yeah, I didn't do much... I suspended a few times, but that's it. Kevin and Eric did all the real work - watching for keepers, doing all the backtracking, etc.

You guys were great, because the draft started off very bad (software issue), and we really got things moving and finished in a very reasonable amount of time.

JDPNYY
03-19-05, 04:28 PM

If anyone recalls... Giambi was initially the first pick of the Draft.

I'm still cleaning diet coke splatters off my monitor.

Hitman23
03-19-05, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Steve, and Jason for your comments earlier. You said Vito and Kevin, Steve, but Eric deserves a big thank you, too. He helped out with pausing the draft a few times, and of course his keeper spreadsheets were the ones we used to help things run smoothly. :)eff Eric he stole my catcher!! :lol:

j/k.... thanks to you too man. Hope your anniversary is going well! Congrats again! :gulp:

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 05:19 PM
If anyone recalls... Giambi was initially the first pick of the Draft.

I'm still cleaning diet coke splatters off my monitor.

Me too. :lol:

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
03-19-05, 05:32 PM
I can't even remember who the heck is on my gosh-forsaken excuse for a team.

Soriambi
03-19-05, 05:53 PM
I can't even remember who the heck is on my gosh-forsaken excuse for a team.

You can check on the Sportsline site if you like-they're all listed on there. :D

patrick.o
03-19-05, 09:04 PM
I'll trade you your 3rd round Giambi for my 10th round retired guy and my 19th round guy who's playing in Japan. Hell, I'll even throw in my 12th round guy that sportsline describes as 'a complete bust' and 'he doesn't warrant any consideration on Draft Day'.

yankeesrule2000
03-19-05, 09:07 PM
I'll trade you your 3rd round Giambi for my 10th round retired guy and my 19th round guy who's playing in Japan. Hell, I'll even throw in my 12th round guy that sportsline describes as 'a complete bust' and 'he doesn't warrant any consideration on Draft Day'.

:lol: :lol:

Well i guess i should be happy im playing you week one ;) :lol:

patrick.o
03-19-05, 09:19 PM
I had to get one shot in. :) Honestly though, I feel really bad for you. I can't believe some of the guys Sportsline took.
Take all the shots you like :) Fantasy sports without trashtalk is like George without a beer. Okay, bad analogy - it's like George without 7 beers! But anyway, whatever you do, don't feel bad for me. I call up a couple guys from my minors (hello, can Jesse Crain and Jeff Francis come out to play?), make a trade or two, and uncover just a few of the many hidden gems out there and I'll be right in the thick of things. And then suddenly the playoffs are upon us and you will have to face the Truth and you will know fear! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!

patrick.o
03-19-05, 09:28 PM
I know it's way to late for this now, Patrick, but there was an option before the draft to set your draft queue to the draft averages of all previous SL drafts so far this season. That could have prevented some of those picks.
Do me a favor? Hop in that suped up DeLorean of yours and tell me that a week ago!

Honestly, I really wasn't worried about it beforehand. Last year I had a lot of trouble accessing the draft room and the site drafted most of my players, and while there were a couple automatic drops for the most part the site did a great job filling all my positions and drafting what could reasonably be considered the best available player (and 3 guys I kept). That's why I felt relatively okay about not being able to make the draft this time around. But when I got home from work last night and saw that it had picked up all of 2 SPs and 1 RP while at the same time making sure I had 2 1B, 3 SS, and a whopping 7 OF I was a bit surprised, to say the least.

Oh well, live and learn. Next draft I can't make I will be sure to be more pro-active.

patrick.o
03-19-05, 09:33 PM

Well i guess i should be happy im playing you week one ;) :lol:
Yeah, my first 3 weeks are division rivals and that sucks for me cause that's when I'll be at my weakest. You in particular have it nice because you get me in weeks 1 and 6. But, then again you seem to be one of the unluckiest players I know and you'll probably have your two lowest scoring weeks right there! :lol: (hey, I can hope, right? ;) )

patrick.o
03-19-05, 10:03 PM

Well i guess i should be happy im playing you week one ;) :lol:Alright, alright! You drive a hard bargain! I'll also add my 9th rounder. sportsline says "just too inefficient last season to hold any Fantasy value this year on Draft Day", and "He would need....a number of good starts....to even be someone you would consider off the waiver wire." Oh, and don't let me forget the best line of all: "draft someone else."

:lol: :lol: :lol: A chimpanzee drafted my team! :lol:

PinstripePride
03-19-05, 10:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: A chimpanzee drafted my team! :lol:

Don't be mean to chimps. :(

patrick.o
03-19-05, 10:34 PM
Don't be mean to chimps. :(
You're right; my bad. A chimp would have done a much better job!

Stupid Flanders
03-19-05, 11:28 PM
even a chimp wouldn't have taken Batista

Hitman23
03-20-05, 02:46 AM
Do me a favor? Hop in that suped up DeLorean of yours and tell me that a week ago!nice! :D

Big_E
03-20-05, 07:39 AM
even a chimp wouldn't have taken Batista

You mean stats from Japan don't count? ;)

yankeesrule2000
03-20-05, 09:16 AM
Yeah, my first 3 weeks are division rivals and that sucks for me cause that's when I'll be at my weakest. You in particular have it nice because you get me in weeks 1 and 6. But, then again you seem to be one of the unluckiest players I know and you'll probably have your two lowest scoring weeks right there! :lol: (hey, I can hope, right? ;) )

:lol: that is usally how it works for me, im hoping for it to work out differently this season :lol:

Yankchic22
03-22-05, 11:42 AM
Well, for the first time in three years, I actually have a bullpen.....

Other than the fact that I had 2 high round catchers, instead of a REAL first baseman.... never mind. The draft robot screwed me.

Big_E
03-22-05, 11:51 AM

Other than the fact that I had 2 high round catchers, instead of a REAL first baseman.... never mind. The draft robot screwed me.

You also need help in the OF with Cruz and Everett ;)

I made ya a trade offer to take one of those Catcher's off your hands. :D

Stay around, you're almost up in the minor-league draft (well, it could take a couple of days at the rate we're going, but keep checking back.) :)

Hitman23
03-22-05, 11:55 AM

Other than the fact that I had 2 high round catchers, instead of a REAL first baseman.... never mind. The draft robot screwed me.Doesn't matter. If you're the Mets, I'm the Braves. If you're the Braves, I'm your Yankees. You can't beat me, you'll always be the Empire's bitch. ;)

Big_E
03-22-05, 12:02 PM
Stay around, you're almost up in the minor-league draft (well, it could take a couple of days at the rate we're going, but keep checking back.) :)

Check that...you're up!