PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Draft

Pages : [1] 2

Snatch Catch
03-08-05, 03:51 PM
Ok, gentlemen, the hardest part of getting our league together is behind us! With the completion of the actual auction we are good to go for the season.

I applaud everyone for making the time and working it out to make sure that they were involved. :clap:

It is VERY difficult to get 13 teams in a league where no one has a real inherent comitment to being there. All of you guys went out of your way to help get this up and running, and for that we should all be thankful.

A special acknowledgement should go to Mark19, who found out the day before the auction that he would be unable to make it. He informed me, and I let him know that someone else could draft his team for him or he could set the A.I. on the system and ride it out. He opted to set the A.I., and didn't complain once, threaten to leave the league, ask for his money back or anything.

Thanks for not making waves and looking out for everyone else in the league, Mark. Not only did the A.I. work pretty damn well, you managed to frustrate the hell out of Steve (Hitman23) with the way you kept one-upping him on bids. He didn't even know until a couple of hours ago that you weren't even there! :clap: :lol:

And now onto the Minor league draft...

The Minor League Draft will take place in this thread over the next couple of weeks. It is a fairly important part of the overall league because it allows you to tab youngsters to help build your team from within. Minor Leaguers who make it to your Major League roster will have a salary of $5, as opposed to the $10 salary that anyone picked up in Free Agency would command. Here are some rules from the constitution about Minor Leaguers:

13.1. Following the major league auction, a four-round minor league draft will take place. In the first year of the league, the order of selection in the first round will be random and will be reversed in subsequent rounds. In all other years, teams will draft in reverse order of the previous year's finish for all four rounds of the minor league draft.

13.2. Only players who qualify as a rookie in the major leagues are eligible for the minor league draft.

13.3. When a player is drafted in the minor league draft, he is placed on the team's minor league roster. This protects a team's rights to that player.

13.4.1 If a player drafted in the minor league draft is activated by his major league team prior to September 1, the team has 7 days to activate that player. If the player is not activated within this time period, he will be automatically placed on waivers.

13.4.2 Minor leaguers called up prior to 9/1 to fill a roster spot created by a Major Leaguer going on the 15 day DL are not required to be activated or waived unless they remain on the ML roster when the DL'd player returns

13.4.3 Minor leaguers called up prior to 9/1 to fill a roster spot created by a Major Leaguer going on the 60 day DL are required to be activated or waived within 7 days.

13.5 Once a player is activated by his rotisserie team, that player loses his minor league status.

13.6. If a player remains on his team's minor league roster, he is not bound to a contract.

13.7. A minor league player may be retained from one season to the next without his salary counting towards the teamís $260 salary cap.

13.8. Each team has a maximum of four minor league players he may retain from one season to the next. In the minor league draft, a team may only draft enough players to reach the four-man minor league roster limit.

13.9. Once a player is activated, waived or reserved from the minor league roster, he cannot be put back on the minor league roster. The only way a player can return to a minor league roster is if he is drafted in a subsequent season's minor league draft.

I will be putting all the team names in a hat and having one of my employees select out the names, and the order in which we will proceed. When it is your turn to pick a player, just write his name in font size 6 and post.

As soon as you see the person before you select there guy, you can select yours. This doesn't have to be an instantaneous type draft, but lets try and get it done before the season opens...;)

I'll post the draft order in about a half an hour. Just start picking as soon as the draft order is up!

-Kevin

Pick Team Player
1-1 Sycamore Style Delmon Young
1-2 Evil Empire Prince Fielder
1-3 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts Jose Capellan
1-4 HollisHomerunHittaz Felix Hernandez
1-5 Bitches Brew Ryan Howard
1-6 New York Knights Andy Marte
1-7 The Rain King Matt Cain
1-8 Striking Back Jeremy Reed
1-9 GHR 714 Casey Kotchman
1-10 Notorious B.I.G. Unit Merkin Valdez
1-11 MetsMagic Brandon McCarthy
1-12 The Corporation Nick Swisher
1-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Jeff Francouer
2-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Zach Duke
2-2 The Corporation Chad Billingsley
2-3 MetsMagic Joel Guzman
2-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit Brian Dopriak
2-5 GHR 714 Angel Guzman
2-6 Striking Back Chris Burke
2-7 The Rain King Rickie Weeks
2-8 New York Knights Ian Effing Stewart
2-9 Bitches Brew Huston Street
2-10 HollisHomerunHittaz Eric Duncan
2-11 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts Lastings Milledge
2-12 Evil Empire Daric Barton
2-13 Sycamore Style Adam Miller
3-1 Sycamore Style Cole Hamels
3-2 Evil Empire Hanley Bust Ramirez
3-3 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts Josh Barfield (Yankee Pride!)
3-4 HollisHomerunHittaz Jeff Mathis
3-5 Bitches Brew Jeremy Hermida
3-6 New York Knights Matt Hinckley
3-7 The Rain King Carlos Quentin
3-8 Striking Back Guillermo Quiroz
3-9 GHR 714 Jason Kubel
3-10 Notorious B.I.G. Unit Clint Everts
3-11 MetsMagic Phillip Humber
3-12 The Corporation Thomas Diamond
3-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Chris Nelson
4-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Scott Olsen
4-2 The Corporation Conor Jackson
4-3 MetsMagic Yusmeiro Petit
4-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit Felix Pie (mmmm...)
4-5 GHR 714 Robinson Cano
4-6 Striking Back Chien-Ming Wang
4-7 The Rain King Jeff Nieman
4-8 New York Knights Billy Butler
4-9 Bitches Brew Brad Hawpe
4-10 HollisHomerunHittaz John Danks
4-11 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts
4-12 Evil Empire
4-13 Sycamore Style

boo_427
03-08-05, 04:30 PM
I will be putting all the team names in a hat and having one of my employees select out the names, and the order in which we will proceed. When it is your turn to pick a player, just write his name in font size 6 and post.

I was just wondering what the penalty would be if I didn't use font size 6? Will my player be released?:dunno: :D

Snatch Catch
03-08-05, 04:35 PM
I was just wondering what the penalty would be if I didn't use font size 6? Will my player be released?:dunno: :D

Yes.

And the draft order is being determined as I type.

yanksphan
03-08-05, 04:37 PM

troublemaker.

boo_427
03-08-05, 04:37 PM
troublemaker.

and the pot calls the kettle black;)

Snatch Catch
03-08-05, 04:58 PM
Ok, guys- here is the order for the draft, straight from the e-mail that was sent to me by the girl I asked to do it:

Kevin here is the order that we selected from the coffee cup

Style

Empire

Hollis

Brew

Knights

Rain

Striking

GHR

Notorious

Metsmagic

Corporation

Eyeblack

Jenny

<DIR>-----Original Message-----

<DIR><DIR><DIR><DIR>From: , Kevin

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:36 AM

To:

Cc:

Subject: Random order

</DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>Jenny-

Could you please put all of the following names in a hat and draw them out to determine a random order? I'm doing something on a project and your help would be greatly appreciated.

</DIR>NOTORIOUS

METSMAGIC

HOLLIS

STYLE

BREW

RAIN KING

KNIGHTS

CORPORATION

EYEBLACK

EMPIRE

GHR

STRIKING

<DIR>Thanks!

</DIR>-Kevin

Okay, lets hear it...

chanman7483
03-08-05, 06:09 PM
I would suck so hard in a minor league draft.. i know nothing about anyone. It'd be like doing a fantasy MLS draft...

Mark19
03-08-05, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the shout-out, I must say I am fairly pleased with how my auction turned out. I basically had really high max bids on a few blue-chip players and then tried to fill out my roster with youngsters or old guys who would be fairly cheap.

I was called away because I needed to sit in on a hearing at the european court of justice in luxembourg for something pertaining to a paper I am writing. It was certainly an odd feeling to be thinking about Ben Sheets, Jim Edmonds and Billy Wagner when I was supposed to be paying attention to some euro-cratic discourse. Anyhow, I'm really pleased it worked out so nicely (despite having cornered the third baseman market).

Once my minor leaguer draft number comes up I'll give it my best shot.

Good luck everyone!

yanksphan
03-08-05, 07:07 PM
13.2. Only players who qualify as a rookie in the major leagues are eligible for the minor league draft

Whats the max ABs or IP a player could have had last year in the bigs and still qualify as a rookie, or be eligible for this draft?

Snatch Catch
03-08-05, 07:28 PM
Sycamore Style selects:

Delmon Young

Big_E
03-08-05, 09:02 PM
Whats the max ABs or IP a player could have had last year in the bigs and still qualify as a rookie, or be eligible for this draft?

130 AB
50 IP

career, not in one season

NYDCYankee
03-08-05, 09:58 PM
Snatch you should PM people to let them know they are up.

Snatch Catch
03-08-05, 10:06 PM
Snatch you should PM people to let them know they are up.

Already did. ;)

But this can take a couple of weeks; its not that pressing. 2 or three picks a day isn't bad.

NYDCYankee
03-08-05, 10:18 PM
Already did. ;)

But this can take a couple of weeks; its not that pressing. 2 or three picks a day isn't bad.

Oh ok howd your team turn out in the other draft

yanksphan
03-08-05, 11:21 PM
130 AB
50 IP

career, not in one season

thanks. that makes things easier.

Hitman23
03-08-05, 11:52 PM
The Empire will select:
Prince Fielder

Soriambi
03-08-05, 11:57 PM
The Squeakawatts select:

JOSE CAPELLAN, P, MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Obgreen
03-09-05, 10:21 AM
HollisHomerunHittaz selects

Felix Hernandez P, Seattle Mariners

FUTURE CY YOUNG WINNER!

yanksphan
03-09-05, 10:33 AM
HollisHomerunHittaz selects

Felix Hernandez P, Seattle Mariners

FUTURE CY YOUNG WINNER!

either that or FUTURE TOMMY JOHN SURGERY CANDIDATE... ;)

Bitches Brew selects

RYAN HOWARD 1B, Philadelphia Phillies

Hitman23
03-09-05, 10:48 AM
Snatch,
Does Dioneer Navarro count as a MLP if he gets sent down before the season starts? I drafted him and I'd like to have that option to move him down. the rules say once a player is activated by the owner they must remain on the roster, but if he doesn't make the team I want to know how I should handle it.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 11:44 AM
Snatch,
Does Dioneer Navarro count as a MLP if he gets sent down before the season starts? I drafted him and I'd like to have that option to move him down. the rules say once a player is activated by the owner they must remain on the roster, but if he doesn't make the team I want to know how I should handle it.

From the constitution:

2.3. The following players are eligible for the major league auction: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Any players who are on a major league 40-man roster and are still with the major league club at the time of the auction <o:p></o:p>
Any players who are not on a major league 40-man roster but are projected to start the season on the major league squad and can be confirmed by at least half of the owners present. <o:p></o:p>
2.4. If an ineligible player is selected in the auction and his ineligible status is not declared at the time of the auction, league executives have from the end of the auction until twenty-four hours before the start of the first game of opening day to uncover this error. If the error is uncovered, the team who selected the illegal player must pick a replacement player from the free agent pool. This replacement will count as a free agent in all aspects, including the $10 salary and counting towards the free agent limit. The ineligible player will then be released outright and cannot be resigned until such time he is legally eligible.
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Basically, if Navarro doesn't make the majors, you either have to hold him on your major league roster, or pick a replacement player from the free agent pool who's salary will be $10. </o:p>
<o:p>If you want to get a replacement guy, I suppose you could do so and then take Navarro in the Minor League draft to be safe, then drop the replacement guy if Navarro makes the team or gets called up. His salary would then be $5. </o:p>
<o:p>If you want to make sure you keep him at his auction price, you just ride it out with him as your 2nd catcher, which probably isn't all that awful considering that is probably the least productive slot any of us have.</o:p>

Hitman23
03-09-05, 12:09 PM
hmm.... this is a decision. I could ride it out but then I'd have to drop him if he doesn't make the roster. I could draft him instead, then pick up a FA catcher just to fill a slot to be safe. This way I have options. If I take the chance keeping him and he doesn't make it then I lose and someone else could pick him up. I'm gonna think about it. Once the rosters are set and ther FA pool is up I'll try and make a decision then.

Big_E
03-09-05, 01:39 PM
The New York Knights select...

Andy Marte, 3B, Braves

Hitman23
03-09-05, 01:40 PM
The New York Knights select...

Andy Marte, 3B, Bravesgood pick. I had a tough time choosing between mine and yours.

Big_E
03-09-05, 01:51 PM
good pick. I had a tough time choosing between mine and yours.

Thanks. :)

I was hoping to get Prince Fielder, since I have him in the original league, so we're even. :)

Soriambi
03-09-05, 01:53 PM
Thanks. :)

I was hoping to get Prince Fielder, since I have him in the original league, so we're even. :)

Vito and I were debating between Fielder and Capellan, but luckily Steve made it easy for us. :)

boo_427
03-09-05, 02:01 PM
Vito and I were debating between Fielder and Capellan, but luckily Steve made it easy for us. :)

I have a question. Is Jose Capellan available for the Minor League draft? He is listed on the Brewers 40 man roster.

I know he is still officially a rookie, but he is going to be on the Brewers roster opening day and he was a 40 man invitee to spring training... meaning he is on the team.

My question is then, how can he be considered a minor leaguer for our league?

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:09 PM
there is a fine line with elidgable players. I wish we had a list, I'm just doing research on the various sites I know. Many of them were drafted in our auction.

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:10 PM
I think most of the top rookies are on the 40-man roster, aren't they? Do we need to research who is and who isn't on the 40-man before making draft picks here?

The rules up top only say they have to qualify as Rookies.

The 40-man roster applied to the major league draft.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:12 PM
I have a question. Is Jose Capellan available for the Minor League draft? He is listed on the Brewers 40 man roster.

I know he is still officially a rookie, but he is going to be on the Brewers roster opening day and he was a 40 man invitee to spring training... meaning he is on the team.

If he makes the major league team, we have to make room for him and promote him. If he doesn't, he can be a minor leaguer.

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:16 PM
If he makes the major league team, we have to make room for him and promote him. If he doesn't, he can be a minor leaguer.Kevin, I think due to this issue we might have to make an adjustment to the rule. I think this is going to cause problems. I'm fine with the "once you activate you can't demote" but having to promote if the ML team does is a little hard to work with. If guys are no longer minor leaguers but are listed as such it could screw up your entire auction and make your picks pretty much useless.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:18 PM
Kevin, I think due to this issue we might have to make an adjustment to the rule. I think this is going to cause problems. I'm fine with the "once you activate you can't demote" but having to promote if the ML team does is a little hard to work with. If guys are no longer minor leaguers but are listed as such it could screw up your entire auction and make your picks pretty much useless.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, Steve. Could you try to say it in another way for this simpleton? ;)

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying here, Steve. Could you try to say it in another way for this simpleton? ;):lol:

Much like the regular draft or auction, you set who you want to draft based on the players available. If you are doing research and players who may or may not make the roster are currently up for the job, you may draft him. If he makes the team you are now forced to either drop him or someone you drafted. Had you known he would make it, you may have drafted someone different and you pretty much forfeited that draft pick altogether.

Snatch Catch

You can take anyone in the Minor League draft who will be a rookie.

This is the thing, though: You have to activate them in 7 days of them making the 25 man Majors League roster (assuming that they aren't called up because someone is on the 15 day DL).

Therefore, if you take someone in the Minor League draft, and they make the bigs out of spring training, you have to either put them on your roster and DROP someone that you got in the auction, or let them go into the waiver wire.

Keep in mind that we have no bench slots, so that person would count towards your active lineup's stats.

This could be very harmful to your chances at winning, which is why it isn't always the best idea to take someone in the minor league draft who is going to be on the opening day roster.

For example: My OF is studly: Bay, Rowand, Berkman, Bonds, and Ichiro. I just took Delmon Young, who is an OF. If Young were to make the Majors, I would have to DROP one of my OF to make room for him.

That would suck.

Young probably won't produce at the rate that he will down the road, and he probably wouldn't even get any PT right away, so I would basically have a dead spot on my roster.

However, Young isn't projected to do any real damage until 2006, so I should be alright (unless he burns up the Spring).

If Capellan makes the majors, Sqeakawatts has to either activate him or he will be force dropped into the waiver pool.

This is where not having the safety and security of bench slots plays a HUGE roll. GM skills are VERY important!

Big_E
Kevin, I think due to this issue we might have to make an adjustment to the rule. I think this is going to cause problems. I'm fine with the "once you activate you can't demote" but having to promote if the ML team does is a little hard to work with. If guys are no longer minor leaguers but are listed as such it could screw up your entire auction and make your picks pretty much useless.

The rule here is, if someone is promoted for an injury replacement, he can stay in the minors. But if the person is simply promoted, or stays in the majors after the injured player returns, then he must be promoted.

If the injury replacement is due to the 60-day DL, then the player must be promoted.

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:23 PM
The rule here is, if someone is promoted for an injury replacement, he can stay in the minors. But if the person is simply promoted, or stays in the majors after the injured player returns, then he must be promoted.

If the injury replacement is due to the 60-day DL, then the player must be promoted.Yeah Kevin explained that to me before. I understand it, but it's going to cause major problems with minor league players drafted. Like I said before, without knowing if the player will make the team or not, you could be forfeiting you draft pick when you could have selected someone else. This drafting in limbo is tough.

I'm cool with the rule, and if no one else sees it as a problem I'll deal with it. I'm trying to take this into account but it's tough to pass up a great player for someone you know will remain in the minors.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:23 PM

If the injury replacement is due to the 60-day DL, then the player must be promoted.

Here's one question on that. Let's take the Yankees, for instance. Say Tanyon Sturtze goes on the 15 Day DL and I have Alex Graman in my minor leagues because I'm a moron. Now, Graman gets called up. During those 15 days, Steve Karsay, who's also on the MLB team gets hurt, and Colter Bean gets called up. When Sturtze returns, Colter Bean gets sent down, but Graman stays up (replacing the injured Karsay.) I would think that he would still be replacing a player on the DL, even though it's not the specific player that he was brought up to replace. What happens then?

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:24 PM
This is where not having the safety and security of bench slots plays a HUGE roll. GM skills are VERY important!you are evil. :lol: MLB GMs have benches!

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:25 PM
Here's one question on that. Let's take the Yankees, for instance. Say Tanyon Sturtze goes on the 15 Day DL and I have Alex Graman in my minor leagues because I'm a moron. Now, Graman gets called up. During those 15 days, Steve Karsay, who's also on the MLB team gets hurt, and Colter Bean gets called up. When Sturtze returns, Colter Bean gets sent down, but Graman stays up (replacing the injured Karsay.) I would think that he would still be replacing a player on the DL, even though it's not the specific player that he was brought up to replace. What happens then?

I agree with this:

"I would think that he would still be replacing a player on the DL, even though it's not the specific player that he was brought up to replace."

though I'm not the commissioner.

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:26 PM
This is where not having the safety and security of bench slots plays a HUGE roll. GM skills are VERY important!

you are evil. :lol:

Because we all know GM skills are Steve's weak point. ;)

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:26 PM
Yeah Kevin explained that to me before. I understand it, but it's going to cause major problems with minor league players drafted. Like I said before, without knowing if the player will make the team or not, you could be forfeiting you draft pick when you could have selected someone else. This drafting in limbo is tough.

I'm cool with the rule, and if no one else sees it as a problem I'll deal with it. I'm trying to take this into account but it's tough to pass up a great player for someone you know will remain in the minors.

I basically agree with this. Guys who "could make the majors" but might not are tough to judge, and I predict that people are going to be releasing guys left and right thanks to this rule. I think it would be better if guys who qualified as minor leaguers could stay in the minor leagues for one year, and then if they no longer qualified as a minor leaguer the next year, you would have to bring them up as a keeper or let them go. This way seems a bit more like luck as to whether a guy plays at AAA or in the majors over 'GM skill', but I'm not going to whine about it past what I just said there. :)

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:27 PM
I basically agree with this. Guys who "could make the majors" but might not are tough to judge, and I predict that people are going to be releasing guys left and right thanks to this rule. I think it would be better if guys who qualified as minor leaguers could stay in the minor leagues for one year, and then if they no longer qualified as a minor leaguer the next year, you would have to bring them up as a keeper or let them go. This way seems a bit more like luck over 'GM skill', but I'm not going to whine about it past what I just said there. :)

Like we have it in the original league.

But hey, I never thought I'd like the auction process either... :D

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 02:28 PM
Yeah Kevin explained that to me before. I understand it, but it's going to cause major problems with minor league players drafted. Like I said before, without knowing if the player will make the team or not, you could be forfeiting you draft pick when you could have selected someone else. This drafting in limbo is tough.

Is getting the next Soriano or Teixeira for $5 worth it if you have to wait through their growing pains? The guy who has Mark T at $21 per year for 4 years will probably tell you it was...

This is the whole point, Steve: Decisions, decisions, decisions. :)

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:28 PM
Because we all know GM skills are Steve's weak point. ;)We'll see about that. this is only my 4th year in FBB. I'm getting better!

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:30 PM
This is the whole point, Steve: Decisions, decisions, decisions. :)like I said, you are evil. :lol:

It's cool Kevin. I'm not complaining, just bringing up a very tough point. I tell you I've never put so much god damn work into a fantasy league before. I love it but I'm getting a migrain.

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:32 PM
Is getting the next Soriano or Teixeira for $5 worth it if you have to wait through their growing pains? The guy who has Mark T at $21 per year for 4 years will probably tell you it was...Actually my issue before this, going back to Navarro, is that I could get penalized for drafting him. I got him for $1. Now if I wait it out and he gets demoted to AAA, I am forced to drop him and pick someone up for $10. If I decide to draft him, he goes for $5. Winning the lotto here would be that he makes the team and I have no worries.

My fault, I should have read the minor leaguer rules before I bought him up.

boo_427
03-09-05, 02:33 PM
I would think that he would still be replacing a player on the DL, even though it's not the specific player that he was brought up to replace. What happens then?

IMO, you answered your own question. In your scenario, the only reason he is still in the majors is Karsay's injury.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for answering my question. I was really confused. That "gray" area can be tricky sometimes.

Extra Thanks to Soriambi for being so understanding.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 02:34 PM
I had Upton in another league last year when he got called up, and I had to make a decision on him. I activated him instead of losing his rights because I felt that the $5 base salary was well worth the hit I would take for the non-production in my lineup.

Conversely, my buddy didn't want to drop Steve Trachsel or Victor Zambrano to make room for Zack Greinke, so he went into the FA pool and was INSTANTLY scooped up by a team, even though he now had a $10 salary base, that was thinking for the future and felt that they could deal with a young, inconsistent pitcher.

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:35 PM
Actually my issue before this, going back to Navarro, is that I could get penalized for drafting him. I got him for $1. Now if I wait it out and he gets demoted to AAA, I am forced to drop him and pick someone up for $10. If I decide to draft him, he goes for $5. Winning the lotto here would be that he makes the team and I have no worries.

My fault, I should have read the minor leaguer rules before I bought him up.

If he gets demoted, you can still keep him on your roster...it would just be a 'dead' spot.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:35 PM
Extra Thanks to Soriambi for being so understanding.

No problem. Like I said, I'm far from mastering all of the rules in this league. I'm a bit confused as well, though that's not new for me. :D

I bet George would LOVE this thread, by the way. ;)

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:36 PM
If he gets demoted, you can still keep him on your roster...it would just be a 'dead' spot.As far as I understand it, I can't do that. If he doesn't make the team he becomes inelidgable and I am forced to drop him. Which is why I asked if I could demote him to my minor league roster at that point.

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:37 PM
I bet George would LOVE this thread, by the way. ;)eff george. :gulp:

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:39 PM
As far as I understand it, I can't do that. If he doesn't make the team he becomes inelidgable and I am forced to drop him. Which is why I asked if I could demote him to my minor league roster at that point.

I'm pretty sure you can have anyone on your team that's on an MLB 40 man roster. He'll be on the 40 man roster, and therefore I believe that you can keep him on your team, though you'll get 0 production if he goes to AAA.

Big_E
03-09-05, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you can have anyone on your team that's on an MLB 40 man roster. He'll be on the 40 man roster, and therefore I believe that you can keep him on your team, though you'll get 0 production if he goes to AAA.

Exactly.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 02:41 PM

This is correct.

If he doesn't start with the major league team, he will simply not put up any numbers, but you'll have him for $1...

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure you can have anyone on your team that's on an MLB 40 man roster. He'll be on the 40 man roster, and therefore I believe that you can keep him on your team, though you'll get 0 production if he goes to AAA.I just read the rule again, I think you and Eric are right. I was under the impression he had to be on the opening day roster to be elidgable for my roster.

Hitman23
If he doesn't start with the major league team, he will simply not put up any numbers, but you'll have him for $1...cool. I feel alot better now. Thanks for clarifying. :gulp:

btw, I hate trying to spell elidgable.

Snatch Catch
Hint: Navarro = Ausmus (or any other mediocre at best catcher)

Big_E
I bet George would LOVE this thread, by the way. ;)

When I saw this league's constitution, I knew he'd have nothing to do with this league, even though he wanted to be in the 'second league'....

Really shows that the original league is more like other keeper leagues than he wanted to admit. ;)

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:45 PM
Hint: Navarro = Ausmus (or any other mediocre at best catcher)I know. Which is why I considered drafting him instead and picking up an average catcher. This way I could drop the average catcher when I brought him up. I'm cool with one of my catchers having no production. It's better then a backup-nobody hurting my numbers.

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:47 PM
When I saw this league's constitution, I knew he'd have nothing to do with this league, even though he wanted to be in the 'second league'....

Really shows that the original league is more like other keeper leagues than he wanted to admit. ;)The only reason we had more issues then he may have in other leagues is because we all got together in one place and were able to read every comment every person made. When you do them off line and you're talking to one of your buddies a comment you make in passing may not go anywhere. You or I post some issue we have, everyone reads it, comments and half the league would agree and the other half wouldn't. I actually had fun with the debates. Well, most of them anyway.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 02:49 PM
I know. Which is why I considered drafting him instead and picking up an average catcher. This way I could drop the average catcher when I brought him up. I'm cool with one of my catchers having no production. It's better then a backup-nobody hurting my numbers.

Correct. Thats what I was saying earlier about the second Catcher being the position that the least production is expected out of, and therefore carrying a deadspot may not be TOO harmful.

However, the ceiling on Navarro may not even be worth the hassle...its not like you're waiting on McPherson or Young...

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:49 PM
Kevin,
Sorry for taking this in another direction, maybe we should start another thread for picks only.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:50 PM
Correct. Thats what I was saying earlier about the second Catcher being the position that the least production is expected out of, and therefore carrying a deadspot may not be TOO harmful.

However, the ceiling on Navarro may not even be worth the hassle...its not like you're waiting on McPherson or Young...

<< Waiting on McPherson. :D

And I'd better get good production out of my second catcher. I have a RED SOX there, and I'd better be rewarded for going against my belief system and drafting one of them. :mad:

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:50 PM
However, the ceiling on Navarro may not even be worth the hassle...its not like you're waiting on McPherson or Young...well, considering that after the big 4 catchers there is no one worth much effort. Catchers are not fantasy friendly people. Even if he turns into a Lo Duca type, I'm fine.

My problem is gonna be dropping Bagwell for Prince Fielder. or Kotsay.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:51 PM
Kevin,
Sorry for taking this in another direction, maybe we should start another thread for picks only.

:lol: :lol: Oh man- I honestly forgot that this was even the minor league draft thread. I thought we were just debating. :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, too. ;)

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 02:53 PM
Kevin,

No need, as I figured this would happen (and its not bad- dialogue like this is good).

Thats why everyone should submit their picks in size 6 font...all you have to is scroll until you see the last pick made; you don't have to read through every post. :D

Soriambi
03-09-05, 02:54 PM
No need, as I figured this would happen (and its not bad- dialogue like this is good).

Thats why everyone should submit their picks in size 6 font...all you have to is scroll until you see the last pick made; you don't have to read through every post. :D

What if we start posting in 6 point font in our discussion? :p

Hitman23
03-09-05, 02:58 PM
What if we start posting in 6 point font in our discussion? :pleave it to you to find a loophole and make things difficult. sheesh! :lol:

boo_427
03-09-05, 03:04 PM

Back to that size 6 font again huh?

Actually I should be the one to apologize for the thread hijack. I just saw that gray area and needed clarification.

I am actually surprised at the amount of discussion that took place between 4 "GM's"....

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 03:05 PM
What if we start posting in 6 point font in our discussion? :p

Then you will be drafting guys with names that look like nouns and verbs...

Hitman23
03-09-05, 03:06 PM
I am actually surprised at the amount of discussion that took place between 4 "GM's"....With me, Eric and Kevin (Soriambi) in this league.... you have no idea what you're in for. :lol:

Soriambi
03-09-05, 03:07 PM
I am actually surprised at the amount of discussion that took place between 4 "GM's"....

Yep, I've got a big mouth in these FBB Forums. You've got me figured out already. ;) :lol:

Soriambi
03-09-05, 03:08 PM
Then you will be drafting guys with names that look like nouns and verbs...

So my latest pick would have been, "Yep, I've got a big mouth in these FBB Forums. You've got me figured out already", CF, Cleveland Indians? ;)

NYDCYankee
03-09-05, 03:15 PM
Matt Cain, P, San Francisco Giants

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 03:17 PM
So my latest pick would have been, "Yep, I've got a big mouth in these FBB Forums. You've got me figured out already", CF, Cleveland Indians? ;)

Poor kid; he must have had a hard time in school...

Soriambi
03-09-05, 03:18 PM
Poor kid; he must have had a hard time in school...

I don't know...:

Secretary: I have a student for you to send to the principal.

Teacher: Yes, who?

Secretary: Yep, I've got a big mouth in the.....oh, never mind. Screw it. I'm not saying all that.

Mark19
03-09-05, 03:55 PM
JEREMY REED, OF, Mariners

He is still technically a minor leaguer

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 04:04 PM
JEREMY REED, OF, Mariners

He is still technically a minor leaguer

Great move for you, as you need OF because of the A.I., and since he will probably be starting the year on the ML roster, you just activate him and he's $5 instead of having to pay $10 for him in the waiver pool...

Great GM skills!

Soriambi
03-09-05, 04:06 PM
Hey Kev-can we get a 100% confirmation on the possible situation I laid out earlier? Was I right in my interpretation? (The Sturtze, Graman, Karsay, Bean scenario)

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 04:11 PM
Hey Kev-can we get a 100% confirmation on the possible situation I laid out earlier? Was I right in my interpretation? (The Sturtze, Graman, Karsay, Bean scenario)

As long as he's replacing someone in his position (i.e. pitcher for pitcher) and its not a 60 day DL, you're straight...is that what you concluded?

Hitman23
03-09-05, 04:11 PM
Jenny-

Could you please put all of the following names in a hat and draw them out to determine a random order

~snip~

Kevin here is the order that we selected from the coffee cup
We need to redo the draft order apparently Jenny doesn't know how to follow instructions.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 04:13 PM
As long as he's replacing someone in his position (i.e. pitcher for pitcher) and its not a 60 day DL, you're straight...is that what you concluded?

What I was saying is if Player A is injured, and Player B comes up to replace him, but while Player B is up, Player C gets injured, so when Player A returns Player B stays up to replace Player C, whether Player B would still be minor league eligible, since he's replacing an injured player still, just not the one that he was originally called up to replace.

Soriambi
03-09-05, 04:13 PM
We need to redo the draft order apparently Jenny doesn't know how to follow instructions.

CORRUPTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS!!!!

Hitman23
03-09-05, 04:16 PM
CORRUPTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS!!!!:lol:

I picked 2nd I can't complain. If I had a bad draw this may have been a funnier joke.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 04:16 PM
What I was saying is if Player A is injured, and Player B comes up to replace him, but while Player B is up, Player C gets injured, so when Player A returns Player B stays up to replace Player C, whether Player B would still be minor league eligible, since he's replacing an injured player still, just not the one that he was originally called up to replace.

My answer is in my above response ;)

Soriambi
03-09-05, 04:18 PM
My answer is in my above response ;)

I thought you were still talking about a minor leaguer replacing a single major leaguer in your response. :)

Snatch Catch
CORRUPTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS!!!!

I was waiting for this! I even brought it up at the end of my first post...check it...

Soriambi
:lol:

I picked 2nd I can't complain. If I had a bad draw this may have been a funnier joke.

Yeah, the 2nd and 3rd picks sitting here talking about the corruption. :lol:

Okay, off to class for me. Don't miss my babbling in here too much. :p

Hitman23
03-09-05, 04:19 PM
I was waiting for this! I even brought it up at the end of my first post...check it...is that what you meant by "let's hear it"? I thought you were waiting for position complaints or because you got 1st overall.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 04:19 PM
I thought you were still talking about a minor leaguer replacing a single major leaguer in your response. :)

As long as he's in the Majors because someone in HIS position is on the 15 day DL, then you're good.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 04:21 PM
is that what you meant by "let's hear it"? I thought you were waiting for position complaints.

It was!

But, you guys found a loophole in the jabbing me anyways, so I'm making it universally applicable! :lol: :)

Hitman23
03-09-05, 04:23 PM
in all honesty I'm suprised Eric didn't find it first. He's good for finding errors like that....

Mark19
03-09-05, 04:29 PM
Great move for you, as you need OF because of the A.I., and since he will probably be starting the year on the ML roster, you just activate him and he's $5 instead of having to pay $10 for him in the waiver pool...

Great GM skills!

Now if only I could get some solid catcher, Navarro, Mauer and Closser are already taken.

ruthianblast
03-09-05, 05:35 PM
Casey Kotchman 1B -ANA

I'm pretty sure he was not drafted (I looked through the draft results and couldn't find him).

Hitman23
03-09-05, 06:30 PM
Casey Kotchman 1B -ANA

I'm pretty sure he was not drafted (I looked through the draft results and couldn't find him).
I did a CNTRL- F in the excel sheet and nothing came up. You should be okay.

Big_E
03-09-05, 06:45 PM
I did a CNTRL- F in the excel sheet and nothing came up. You should be okay.

Well if our commish would get off his lazy butt and load the rosters into sportsline.... ;)

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-09-05, 07:18 PM
"removal of" Gavin Floyd, RH - Phillies

NYDCYankee
03-09-05, 07:25 PM
Gavin Floyd, RH - Phillies

I believe I all ready got him for a buck.

I think you need someone else

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-09-05, 08:22 PM
I believe I all ready got him for a buck.

I think you need someone else

Sorry about that.. didn't notice:

Merkin Valdez, RHP, Giants

Big_E
03-09-05, 08:55 PM
Until we learn all the team names that go with the signin names, can you please announce your team, such as:

Notorious B.I.G. Unit selects:

Merkin Valdez

Thanks! It will help keep track of who's gone and who's up next.

Snatch Catch
03-09-05, 08:57 PM
Ok, everyone stop speaking in and quoting size 6 font!!!

Big_E
03-09-05, 09:03 PM
The draft so far:
<pre>
Pick Team Player
1-11 MetsMagic
1-12 The Corporation
1-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23
2-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23
2-2 The Corporation
2-3 MetsMagic
2-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit
2-5 GHR 714
2-6 Striking Back
2-7 The Rain King
2-8 New York Knights
2-9 Bitches Brew
2-10 HollisHomerunHittaz
2-11 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts
2-12 Evil Empire
2-13 Sycamore Style
3-1 Sycamore Style
3-2 Evil Empire
3-3 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts
3-4 HollisHomerunHittaz
3-5 Bitches Brew
3-6 New York Knights
3-7 The Rain King
3-8 Striking Back
3-9 GHR 714
3-10 Notorious B.I.G. Unit
3-11 MetsMagic
3-12 The Corporation
3-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-2 The Corporation
4-3 MetsMagic
4-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit
4-5 GHR 714
4-6 Striking Back
4-7 The Rain King
4-8 New York Knights
4-9 Bitches Brew
4-10 HollisHomerunHittaz
4-12 Evil Empire
4-13 Sycamore Style</pre>

For the uninitiated, 4-8 means 4th round, 8th pick. 1-13 means 1st round, 13th pick, etc...

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-10-05, 06:40 AM
Ok, everyone stop speaking in and quoting size 6 font!!!

It would be even better if everyone just copied Big_E's form above into their post and put their pick in. Then you could just look for the last big post and see every team picked. Anyone agree?

odg347
03-10-05, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=Big_E]The draft so far:
<pre>
Pick Team Player
1-12 The Corporation
1-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23
2-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23
2-2 The Corporation
2-3 MetsMagic
2-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit
2-5 GHR 714
2-6 Striking Back
2-7 The Rain King
2-8 New York Knights
2-9 Bitches Brew
2-10 HollisHomerunHittaz
2-12 Evil Empire
2-13 Sycamore Style
3-1 Sycamore Style
3-2 Evil Empire
3-3 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts
3-4 HollisHomerunHittaz
3-5 Bitches Brew
3-6 New York Knights
3-7 The Rain King
3-8 Striking Back
3-9 GHR 714
3-11 MetsMagic
3-12 The Corporation
3-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-2 The Corporation
4-3 MetsMagic
4-5 GHR 714
4-6 Striking Back
4-7 The Rain King
4-8 New York Knights
4-9 Bitches Brew
4-10 HollisHomerunHittaz
4-12 Evil Empire
4-13 Sycamore Style</pre>

STEAL!

Hitman23
03-10-05, 09:40 AM
STEAL!I'm assuming your pick is Brandon McCarthy?

You gotta post his name in SIZE 6 font.

pffttt..... Mets fans....

odg347
03-10-05, 10:13 AM
It would be even better if everyone just copied Big_E's form above into their post and put their pick in. Then you could just look for the last big post and see every team picked. Anyone agree?

I'm assuming your pick is Brandon McCarthy?

You gotta post his name in SIZE 6 font.

pffttt..... Mets fans....

I am sorry. Reading is not fundamental. When something makes sense, I will follow suit. Simply put in your player and move on.

BRANDON MCCARTHY!

STEAL!

yanksphan
03-10-05, 10:16 AM
<< Waiting on McPherson. :D

Looks like your wait just got 2-4 weeks longer...just let me know if you get impatient...;) :P

Hitman23
03-10-05, 10:20 AM
I am sorry. Reading is not fundamental. When something makes sense, I will follow suit. Simply put in your player and move on.

BRADON MCCARTHY!Yeah but the purpose was that we could BS in the thread and Kev could still keep track of all the picks with the big fonts.

Pay attention McFly!

yanksphan
03-10-05, 10:37 AM
Yeah but the purpose was that we could BS in the thread and Kev could still keep track of all the picks with the big fonts.

Pay attention McFly!

Maybe if you type in PINK the Mets fan will understand? :dunno:

Hitman23
03-10-05, 10:40 AM
Maybe if you type in PINK the Mets fan will understand? :dunno::roflmao: nice!

chanman7483
03-10-05, 10:45 AM
The Corporation Selects:

NICK SWISHER, OF, Athletics

Hitman23
03-10-05, 10:48 AM
The Corporation Selects:
NICK SWISHER, OF, AthleticsFYI - You're gonna have to drop a starter. I think Swisher is a lock for the team.

Either way, awesome pickup and was going to be my next draft choice so I could get him for $5. Good job!

jerk!

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 10:48 AM
Why do I have a feeling that Robby is going to steal the guy I want?

Hitman23
03-10-05, 11:00 AM
Why do I have a feeling that Robby is going to steal the guy I want?Most likely someone is. You and I had awesome 1st and 2nd picks but by the time it gets back to us most of who we want will be gone. Looks like everyone is doing their homework. A ton of good picks. I've scratched off at least 3 players I wanted. (still pissed about Swisher!)

chanman7483
03-10-05, 11:01 AM
Wait, if they get called up in real life, they have to be put on your team?

Big_E
03-10-05, 11:03 AM
Wait, if they get called up in real life, they have to be put on your team?

Yup....if it's a callup and not an injury replacement you have 7 days to activate or release them.

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 11:14 AM
Most likely someone is. You and I had awesome 1st and 2nd picks but by the time it gets back to us most of who we want will be gone. Looks like everyone is doing their homework. A ton of good picks. I've scratched off at least 3 players I wanted. (still pissed about Swisher!)

I actually didn't want the top pick...I wanted to take Felix Hernandez, because he's a stud (been compared to Gooden in terms of how ready he is at his age) and I've got room to bring him up if he makes the bigs out of ST.

But I just couldn't justify passing on Young when I had the top pick...

boo_427
03-10-05, 11:15 AM
With the 13th pick JackedUpEyeBlack23 selects...

Jeff Francouer - OF, Braves

chanman7483
03-10-05, 11:25 AM
Ugh, i don't wanna drop anyone. But i guess Swisher is my insurance policy for Griffey. Would suck if i dropped him and griffey went on to hit 70 hrs...and trust me, the one year he does this is the year i drop him for swisher.

chanman7483
03-10-05, 11:26 AM
Yup....if it's a callup and not an injury replacement you have 7 days to activate or release them.

I don't have to make a move until 7 days into the regular season right?

Big_E
03-10-05, 11:28 AM
I don't have to make a move until 7 days into the regular season right?

Yeah, well, no add/drops until April 3rd, so I'd assume that's when the clock starts. Besides, until the teams head north, players are still considered minor leaguers. No matter what the manager says, they haven't made the team until the season begins...

boo_427
03-10-05, 11:30 AM
With the First Pick in the Second Round JackUpEyeBlack23 selects:

Zach Duke - LHP, Pirates

Edited - for my elder fellow GM

boo_427
03-10-05, 11:31 AM
Snatch,

Did I get your man?

Big_E
03-10-05, 11:31 AM
With the 14th pick JackUpEyeBlack23 selects:

1st pick, 2nd round...let's not make things more confusing than they have to be. :D

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 11:32 AM
Snatch,

Did I get your man?

No! Unscathed so far!

Although the odds that my guy lasts to me are pretty damn low. :(

boo_427
03-10-05, 11:34 AM
1st pick, 2nd round...let's not make things more confusing than they have to be. :D

Edited just for you.

I wanted Gavin Floyd, but he is already on a roster.

Big_E
03-10-05, 11:43 AM
Edited just for you.

Wow, don't I feel special. :lol:

(Seriously, thanks! :D)

chanman7483
03-10-05, 11:54 AM
The Corporation Selects

CHAD BILLINGSLEY, rhp, Dodgers

with it's second round pick

Hitman23
03-10-05, 12:02 PM
Yeah, well, no add/drops until January 3rdJan 3rd? :confused:

Big_E
03-10-05, 12:06 PM
Where'd you get that post? Says April 3rd. :-ponder-:

chanman7483
03-10-05, 12:17 PM
:lol: Nice Recovery!

Hitman23
03-10-05, 12:38 PM
Where'd you get that post? Says April 3rd. :-ponder-:uh oh.... bizarro-steve took over my computer for a bit. I'll smack him for ya.

odg347
03-10-05, 12:43 PM
MetsMagic selects:

Joel Guzman

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-10-05, 01:35 PM
Notorious BIG Unit:

BRIAN DOPIRAK, 1b, Cubs

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 01:45 PM
Good, good...

Hitman23
03-10-05, 01:48 PM
Good, good...12345

Big_E
03-10-05, 01:48 PM
And best yet, my next two choices are still on the board...

Hitman23
03-10-05, 01:51 PM
And best yet, my next two choices are still on the board...I have one of my targets left for my 2nd rounder. I have a feeling I'll be going to my alternatives.

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 01:51 PM
And best yet, my next two choices are still on the board...

If you take my guy (or gal- I'm not giving anything away) I'm going to be ripping mad!

He's so close I can taste it...I mean...uhhhh...feel it....NO WAIT!....I mean "see myself taking him/her"...no, hold on....uhmmmm...I mean "See myself picking him/her".

Yeah, thats it: He so close, I can see myself picking him/her.

Hitman23
03-10-05, 01:53 PM
He's so close I can taste it.Can you please refrain from thinking about Mo Nut while we draft? Thanks....

AND TAKE THAT PINK SHIRT OFF!!

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 01:56 PM
Can you please refrain from thinking about Mo Nut while we draft? Thanks....

AND TAKE THAT PINK SHIRT OFF!!

Steve, that was the whole point of my post: I beat you to the joke.

*sheesh*

Big_E
03-10-05, 01:57 PM
If you take my guy (or gal- I'm not giving anything away) I'm going to be ripping mad!

Well, tell me the name so I can tell you if I was going to pick him...or her.

Hitman23
03-10-05, 02:00 PM
Steve, that was the whole point of my post: I beat you to the joke.

*sheesh*yeah I know I laughed... i was just keeping it going.

sheesh!

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 02:04 PM
yeah I know I laughed... i was just keeping it going.

sheesh!

Although we are talking Mo 'Nut...

Big_E
03-10-05, 02:22 PM
Testing the newly activated .xls upload feature with the draft so far...

chanman7483
03-10-05, 02:24 PM
what is mo' nut

:o

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 02:26 PM
what is mo' nut

:o

You mean WHO is Mo' Nut...

Hitman23
03-10-05, 02:26 PM
what is mo' nut

:owhy he's one smoove brotha of course.

chanman7483
03-10-05, 02:27 PM
You mean WHO is Mo' Nut...

who is mo' nut?? and wtf is this supposed to mean??

Ponson, Sidney SP BAL Free Agent
News: Sidney Ponson, still unable to pitch in live games because of a visa issue that doesn't allow him to work in games where admission is charged

Big_E
03-10-05, 02:35 PM
I did a google search on Mo' Nut.

This was the first link! (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?p=1957135#post1957135)

ruthianblast
03-10-05, 05:31 PM
Angel Guzman -P CHI

Big_E
03-10-05, 06:19 PM
Good pick!

...esp since it's not a player I'm targeting! :D

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 06:57 PM
Good pick!

...esp since it's not a player I'm targeting! :D

Agreed!

Big_E
03-10-05, 07:05 PM
There's two picks before I go, so chances are good I'll get at least one of them. :D

Mark19
03-10-05, 07:35 PM
Chris Burke, 2B, Astros

He is my 2nd pick

Snatch Catch
03-10-05, 08:16 PM
Good, good...

NYDCYankee
03-10-05, 08:34 PM
Richie Weeks, Mil, 2B

He is all mine

Big_E
03-10-05, 09:12 PM
DAMN YOU! Weeks was one of the two I wanted...

HEY...can I claim him if his name is really RICKIE WEEKS, not RICHIE WEEKS? ;) :D

If not, then with the 9th pick in the 2nd round, the New York Knights choose...

Ian Stewart, 3B, Rockies.

yanksphan
03-10-05, 09:43 PM
HUSTON STREET P, Oakland Athletics

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:22 AM
DAMN YOU! Weeks was one of the two I wanted...

HEY...can I claim him if his name is really RICKIE WEEKS, not RICHIE WEEKS? ;) :D[/B]Same here. He was on my list.

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 06:56 AM
Ian Stewart, 3B, Rockies.

Son of a motherless goat. Eff.

Big_E
03-11-05, 07:14 AM
Son of a motherless goat. Eff.

I take it you like my pick? :lol:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 07:17 AM
I take it you like my pick? :lol:

Your pick? Not at all. I hate it. I wish you would never have done it.

Ian Stewart, though? I like him. I like him a lot.

Now I hope Atkins has a MONSTER year! ;)

Big_E
03-11-05, 07:34 AM
Your pick? Not at all. I hate it. I wish you would never have done it.

Ian Stewart, though? I like him. I like him a lot.

Now I hope Atkins has a MONSTER year! ;)

Atkins? Isn't he the warm body the Rockies are putting at 3rd while they wait for Stewart (the youngest person in the 107-year history of the Sally League to hit 30 HRs)? ;)

On Atkins: "His defense and power are limited...he's one of those tentative starters who can do more to hurt his cause for playing time than to help it..." (Rotowire)

Yeah...good luck with him. :D :lol:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 07:37 AM
Yeah...good luck with him. :D :lol:

Three words:

Thin. Air. Inflation.

And a fourth:

Hopefully.

Big_E
03-11-05, 07:39 AM
Yeah, but if Stewart -- at 19 -- could hit 30 in the humidity of the Sally League, what's he going to do at 22 in the thin air of Colorado? 50? 60? 75? ;)

(Of course, now I've just jinxed the kid into being the next Brien Taylor)

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 07:42 AM
(Of course, now I've just jinxed the kid into being the next Brien Taylor)

Hopefully! :D

And why'd you have to bring up Brien Taylor? Now I'm going to be pissed off all day...

Big_E
03-11-05, 07:45 AM
Eh, the kid would have been traded by now anyway...

Hitman23
03-11-05, 08:02 AM
I take it you like my pick? :lol:That was going to be my pick anyway, so Kev you still would have lost out. :lol:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 08:02 AM
That was going to be my pick anyway, so Kev you still would have lost out. :lol:

Cool. That actually makes me feel better.

This is why I "hate" snake drafts...;)

Big_E
03-11-05, 08:10 AM

Could you imagine a bidding war in a minor-league auction?

Hmmmm.....maybe next year...everybody gets $20 (since they're valued at $5 anyway) and we can have an auction for minor-leaguers. If you want to spend $17 on the next A-Rod, then you're stuck with Florida State League backups for your next 3 picks.

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 08:12 AM

Could you imagine a bidding war in a minor-league auction?

Hmmmm.....maybe next year...everybody gets $20 (since they're valued at $5 anyway) and we can have an auction for minor-leaguers. If you want to spend $17 on the next A-Rod, then you're stuck with Florida State League backups for your next 3 picks.

I don't have time to flesh out my argument right now, but I don't think it would work as well.

I'm just bitter about getting the first pick in the drizzaft. :)

Obgreen
03-11-05, 11:15 AM
The HollisHomerunHittaz (Remember Hollis is in Queens 15 minutes from Shea) select:

Eric Duncan 3B, New York Yankees

Big_E
03-11-05, 11:19 AM
The HollisHomerunHittaz (Remember Hollis is in Queens 15 minutes from Shea) select:

Eric Duncan 3B, New York Yankees

I believe his teammates simply call him "Trade Bait". :D

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 11:38 AM
The draft so far:

Pick Team Player
1-12 The Corporation Nick Swisher
1-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Jeff Francouer
2-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23 Zach Duke
2-2 The Corporation Chad Billingsley
2-3 MetsMagic Joel Guzman
2-4 Notorious B.I.G. Unit Brian Dopriak
2-5 GHR 714 Angel Guzman
2-6 Striking Back Chris Burke
2-7 The Rain King Rickie Weeks
2-8 New York Knights Ian Effing Stewart
2-9 Bitches Brew Huston Street
2-10 HollisHomerunHittaz Eric Duncan
2-12 Evil Empire
2-13 Sycamore Style
3-1 Sycamore Style
3-2 Evil Empire
3-3 NY 1.21 Squeakawatts
3-4 HollisHomerunHittaz
3-5 Bitches Brew
3-6 New York Knights
3-7 The Rain King
3-8 Striking Back
3-9 GHR 714
3-11 MetsMagic
3-12 The Corporation
3-13 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-1 JackedUpEyeBlack23
4-2 The Corporation
4-3 MetsMagic
4-5 GHR 714
4-6 Striking Back
4-7 The Rain King
4-8 New York Knights
4-9 Bitches Brew
4-10 HollisHomerunHittaz
4-12 Evil Empire
4-13 Sycamore Style

Soriambi
03-11-05, 12:00 PM
Gonna take a chance here, go with a very unproven very young player with a ceiling through the roof:

Lastings Milledge, OF, NYM

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:22 PM
suprised he's still available. Very pleased as well.

Daric Barton C OAK

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 12:23 PM
Gonna take a chance here, go with a very unproven very young player with a ceiling through the roof:

Odogg is probably seizuring on the floor right now...

Soriambi
03-11-05, 12:25 PM
Odogg is probably seizuring on the floor right now...

Because someone actually complimented a player in the Mets organization here? ;)

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:27 PM
Because someone actually complimented a player in the Mets organization here? ;)Hey I drafted two of them.....

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 12:30 PM
Because someone actually complimented a player in the Mets organization here? ;)

Well, that too ;)

He was asking me yesterday if I thought anyone would take Milly. I said I didn't think so, but then he passed on him with his first two picks...

...and BAM! Squeakawatts nabs him.

chanman7483
03-11-05, 12:36 PM
is it possible to make the first post of this thread the central location for the minor leaguers that have been drafted and by who? it's a pain in the ass to try to go through and look through all the posts...

Soriambi
03-11-05, 12:36 PM
Well, that too ;)

He was asking me yesterday if I thought anyone would take Milly. I said I didn't think so, but then he passed on him with his first two picks...

...and BAM! Squeakawatts nabs him.

I liked what I read about him a lot. He's a free-swinger, but he's only 19, so that can be improved upon. I read reports saying he projects to have middle of the order power and leadoff speed. Has some personal demons, too, so hopefully those don't follow him. :o

Big_E
03-11-05, 12:40 PM

Damn, he was on my list too. :(

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:43 PM
Let's go Kev with your two picks I have my next one ready. :cool:

Big_E
03-11-05, 12:45 PM
I liked what I read about him a lot. He's a free-swinger, but he's only 19, so that can be improved upon. I read reports saying he projects to have middle of the order power and leadoff speed. Has some personal demons, too, so hopefully those don't follow him. :o

He was named the Met's Minor League Rookie of the Year last year, too.

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 12:45 PM
Even though he is down with an arm injury, Sycamore Style selects:

Adam Miller RHP, Cleveland Indians

Soriambi
03-11-05, 12:48 PM
Even though he is down with an arm injury, Sycamore Style selects:

Adam Miller RHP, Cleveland Indians

He might have been my pick if he hadn't had injury troubles. Good choice. :)

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:48 PM
He might have been my pick if he hadn't had injury troubles. Good choice. :)yes awesome choice since he didn't draft my guy. :cool:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 12:50 PM
Hitter or pitcher, hitter or pitcher...:-ponder-:

Soriambi
03-11-05, 12:53 PM

Eh, just pass if you can't decide. You can pick at the end. ;) :D

I think that most owners will even make an exception and let you draft John Flaherty for your minor league team. We're the charitable type. :)

Big_E
03-11-05, 12:54 PM

Take both -- Rick Ankiel.

Oh wait...you already wasted a pick on him. :lol:

Hitman23
03-11-05, 12:55 PM
Take both -- Rick Ankiel.

Oh wait...you already wasted a pick on him. :lol:NICE!!!! :roflmao:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:00 PM
With it's 3rd round pick, Sycamore Style eschews hitting and takes he of the Brien Tayloresque injury:

Cole Hamels LHP, Philadelphia Phillies

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:02 PM
sweet....

Hanley EFFING Ramirez SS, Boston

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:03 PM
Goin' for the pedigree:

Josh Barfield, 2B, San Diego

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:04 PM
This is going quicker than I thought it would. :)

Hitman23
This is going quicker than I thought it would. :)Well it is at our end anyway.

Snatch Catch
sweet....

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Traitor.

Its one thing for me to waste a buck on an aging second baseman like Mark Bellhorn.

Its another thing entirely for you to nurture, coddle, and support the evil's youth .

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:08 PM

Traitor.

Its one thing for me to waste a buck on an aging second baseman like Mark Bellhorn.

Its another thing entirely for you to nurture, coddle, and support the evil's youth .The Evil Empire plays to win. And if that means embracing the enemy for my own success then it will be done.

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:09 PM

Traitor.

Its another thing entirely for you to nurture, coddle, and support the evil's youth .

Exactly. Now we know where Steve got his name. Steve? OR IS IT LARRY LUCCINO?! :eek: :mad: :enraged:

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:10 PM
Exactly. Now we know where Steve got his name. Steve? OR IS IT LARRY LUCCINO?! :eek: :mad: :enraged:sometimes pride can hurt you..... :cool:

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:12 PM
sometimes pride can hurt you..... :cool:

Hey now, I have Jason Varitek on my team. ;)

Big_E
03-11-05, 01:15 PM
sweet....

Damn! He was on my list too. Bastich!!!! :argh:

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:16 PM
Hey now, I have Jason Varitek on my team. ;)yeah but you also spent $21 on Mike Mussina. He should have never gotten over $15. Whoever bought Matsui spent $28. Overspent at least $8.

Yankee pride!

Big_E
03-11-05, 01:17 PM

Traitor.

Any worse than the Yankees getting guys like Boggs and Clemens to help them win championships?

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:23 PM
Damn! He was on my list too. Bastich!!!! :argh:

All joking aside, Ramirez isn't going to do isht in the bigs, IMHO.

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:25 PM
yeah but you also spent $21 on Mike Mussina. He should have never gotten over $15. Whoever bought Matsui spent $28. Overspent at least $8.

Yankee pride!

I don't think Mussina was that overpriced given what other top pitchers commanded. And as you know, I had money to spend. ;)

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:25 PM
All joking aside, Ramirez isn't going to do isht in the bigs, IMHO.

And unless he gets traded, he's not going to be a SS with Renteria there for four years. Pretty good pick at this point, though, Steve. :)

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:26 PM
I'm kind of regretting not going with hitting :(

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:30 PM
I don't think Mussina was that overpriced given what other top pitchers commanded. And as you know, I had money to spend. ;)Yeah you did so it was cool. I think it was driven up because of the demand in our league. i don't blame YOU for spending, but I wasn't even gonna touch him knowing who my comp was bidding. You get what I mean?

Big_E
03-11-05, 01:30 PM
Hanley Ramirez: Ramirez retained his status as the organization's top prospect after showing improved maturity in 2004...he's got a top-notch glove and is an exceptional athlete who may be asked to play another position. Boston's signing of Renteria obviously is of great impact on Ramirez' immediate future. There was speculation he'd be the Red Sox' starting SS in 2006. We would not be surprised to see the major league club trade him in the pursuit of pitching to replace Pedro Martinez. (Rotowire)

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:31 PM
And unless he gets traded, he's not going to be a SS with Renteria there for four years. Pretty good pick at this point, though, Steve. :)Yeah I was going for keeper value. I wanna give Greene a chance to kick some ass at SS for my team before I'm forced to make a decision.

Obgreen
03-11-05, 01:36 PM
HollisHomerunHittaz selects:

Jeff Mathis C, Los Angeles Angels

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:39 PM
Yeah you did so it was cool. I think it was driven up because of the demand in our league. i don't blame YOU for spending, but I wasn't even gonna touch him knowing who my comp was bidding. You get what I mean?

Yep, I gotcha. :) He probably was slightly overpriced, but I think with the Yankees run support, if he's healthy, he's definately capable of returning my investment there. Plus, ace level pitchers (which I think he's close to if healthy) were running low at that point so I was in a bit of a bind.

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:41 PM
I updated everything on the first post of the thread for people that are curious.

Hitman23
03-11-05, 01:44 PM
Yep, I gotcha. :) He probably was slightly overpriced, but I think with the Yankees run support, if he's healthy, he's definately capable of returning my investment there. Plus, ace level pitchers (which I think he's close to if healthy) were running low at that point so I was in a bit of a bind.He'll probably wind up being worth it. Like you said you had money to spend so it doesn't hurt you.

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:44 PM
I updated everything on the first post of the thread for people that are curious.

Mind if I edit the post for you if people pick and you're not around, Kev?

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:51 PM
He'll probably wind up being worth it. Like you said you had money to spend so it doesn't hurt you.

Yeah, but the only reason he had money to spend is because he stayed out of the fray for the surefire, non "if", impact guys.

Welcome to the never ending course entitled Auction Philosophy 101...

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 01:53 PM
Mind if I edit the post for you if people pick and you're not around, Kev?

Not at all; have at it.

Soriambi
03-11-05, 01:54 PM
Yeah, but the only reason he had money to spend is because he stayed out of the fray for the surefire, non "if", impact guys.

Welcome to the never ending course entitled Auction Philosophy 101...

I'd say some of the guys who commanded big money are bigger ifs than Mussina. Prior, Sheets, Peavy, etc. They have bigger upsides, yes, but Sheets and Peavy have really only had one great year, and Prior had an injury last year and he's still young. Moose was injured, but he's been very steady throughout his career before 2004.

Big_E
03-11-05, 01:56 PM
I'd say some of the guys who commanded big money are bigger ifs than Mussina. Prior, Sheets, Peavy, etc. They have bigger upsides, yes, but Sheets and Peavy have really only had one great year, and Prior had an injury last year and he's still young. Moose was injured, but he's been very steady throughout his career before 2004.

And welcome to Rationalization, 102 ;)

Hitman23
03-11-05, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the never ending course entitled Auction Philosophy 101...where everyone's train of thought is correct in some way.

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 02:06 PM

I agree, but if you look at it, you probably could have had Peavy AND Mussina, or Peavy and a lesser starter like Weaver, Burnett, Pavano, etc.

I think that you got Mussina because you were willing to go over his price tag as a result of not bagging one of the "anchor" types.

I was adhering to the same philosophy, but then I started seeing the "non-ifs" dissappearing and backed off the philosophy to buy Ichiro, Bonds (A guy who I swore I would never have on a fantasy team. ODogg wanted him (he loves Bonds) and said "WTF! I NEVER thought you would take him!" when we were talking about it later), and Gagne (who I kind of got stuck with.

And for what its worth, you're telling me you'd rather have a $21 Mussina than a $28 Peavy?

Soriambi
03-11-05, 02:08 PM
Oh, I agree-we definately could have had one more elite player with $28. That was our big mistake in the draft, obviously. Better a little too cautious than not cautious enough and ending up with 7 or 8 $1 players you don't want, though, in my view. :)

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 02:49 PM
Oh, I agree-we definately could have had one more elite player with $28. That was our big mistake in the draft, obviously. Better a little too cautious than not cautious enough and ending up with 7 or 8 $1 players you don't want, though, in my view. :)

Its interesting to examine, because like I said, I was following the same philosophy for a bit, but then ended up getting my anchors...

...however, I then became frugal again on A LOT of guys that I REALLY wanted (Reyes, K. Matsui, Cuddeyer, Mourneau) and I'm kicking myself for that.

There's a happy medium that is almost impossible to achieve...

yanksphan
03-11-05, 02:53 PM
My $30 sore shoulder (Wood) makes Mussina look like a bargain. One of those +1 bids at $23, where 7 people must have hit +1 at the same time, and guess who's registered last?

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 02:57 PM
My $30 sore shoulder (Wood) makes Mussina look like a bargain. One of those +1 bids at $23, where 7 people must have hit +1 at the same time, and guess who's registered last?

I didn't want to say anything, but that looks like one of the worst deals of the draft...

Hitman23
03-11-05, 03:06 PM
where 7 people must have hit +1 at the same time, and guess who's registered last?That happened to me a couple of times. I was lucky enough not to get stuck with the player though. I feel bad for you there. That's probably the biggest drawback of it being online. face 2 face that would never happen.

Soriambi
03-11-05, 03:28 PM
There's a way around that +1 problem..all you have to do is...eh, maybe I'll keep that to myself.. ;) :D

Hitman23
03-11-05, 03:46 PM
There's a way around that +1 problem..all you have to do is...eh, maybe I'll keep that to myself.. ;) :Dtype it in manually?

Spill it man... the draft is over. :cool:

Soriambi
03-11-05, 03:47 PM
type it in manually?

Yep, that's what I did the whole draft. Just type the number you want to bid, even if it's a dollar higher, and if someone else just bid that, it won't let you do it. :)

Hitman23
03-11-05, 03:52 PM
Yep, that's what I did the whole draft. Just type the number you want to bid, even if it's a dollar higher, and if someone else just bid that, it won't let you do it. :)Yeah I was doing it most of the time. Glad I did or else I probably would have gotten caught.

yanksphan
03-11-05, 04:43 PM
That happened to me a couple of times. I was lucky enough not to get stuck with the player though. I feel bad for you there. That's probably the biggest drawback of it being online. face 2 face that would never happen.

Oh well...hopefully he turns it around this year and make me look like a genius!

My DEEP keeper pick goes to:

Jeremy Hermida, of, Marlins

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 04:46 PM
Oh well...hopefully he turns it around this year and make me look like a genius!

My DEEP keeper pick goes to:

Jeremy Hermida, of, Marlins

Not that deep at all; he's on most top prospect lists...

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-11-05, 05:03 PM
Yeah I was doing it most of the time. Glad I did or else I probably would have gotten caught.

Yeah that's what I attempted with Chipper Jones and Damon, my max was going to be 15, however, when I hit the 15, noone beat it out..:o

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 05:32 PM
Where's Eric? He's usually right on top of this stuff...

Big_E
03-11-05, 05:51 PM
Sorry was traveling, and then was dinner time.

The New York Knights pick:

Mike Hinckley, LHP, WASH.

yanksphan
03-11-05, 06:09 PM
Not that deep at all; he's on most top prospect lists...

Deep in terms of - it's going to be a couple years... :D

yanksphan
03-11-05, 06:59 PM
I didn't want to say anything, but that looks like one of the worst deals of the draft...

whew

Cubs orthopedist, Dr. Stephen Gryzlo, confirmed the earlier diagnosis of bursitis in Kerry Wood's shoulder. He'll miss at least one start.

''He'll probably take two or three days off and probably start throwing again Sunday or Monday at the latest,'' GM Jim Hendry said. It sounds as if Wood will resume pitching in games before the end of next week, making him probable for Opening Day. Mar. 11 - 3:06 pm et

although last year, he was only supposed to miss a start or two also... :mad:

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 07:42 PM
whew

although last year, he was only supposed to miss a start or two also... :mad:

Don't get me wrong- Kerry Wood has been one of my top 3 favorite fantasy pitchers for the past 5-6 years, and most likely the top one (he still is). I would burn high picks on him every year, and not regret it one bit (ask Odogg. He knows I'm a sucker for certain players. Peavy was another one before he got big.) because he's FUN to have on your team. His Sportscenter highlights are awesome to watch.

Because of this, I know the man's numbers and pitching tendancies VERY intimately. 100-1 says you're going to be killing yourself over that $30 at the end of the year...

...unless that 1/100 of a chance finally comes true and he finally puts together the season that is analogous to his 20K game. :D

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 07:44 PM
Deep in terms of - it's going to be a couple years... :D

I'm actually trying to make all of my draft picks at least a year away (2006 ETAs). I don't want to have to eff with making room if I don't have to, and I want to make sure I'm getting guys with REALLY high ceilings.

Big_E
03-11-05, 08:31 PM
I'm actually trying to make all of my draft picks at least a year away (2006 ETAs). I don't want to have to eff with making room if I don't have to, and I want to make sure I'm getting guys with REALLY high ceilings.

There's some logic in that...but if you went back to say, 2002, and had a chance to draft some of the Top 10 "Baseball America" prospects, and went for 'deeper picks', you would have passed on:

1) Josh Beckett
2) Mark Prior
3) Hank Blalock
4) Sean Burroughs
5) Carlos Pena
6) Juan Cruz
7) Joe Mauer
8) Wilson Betemit
9) Drew Henson
10) Mark Teixeira

Now granted, some of those haven't panned out yet (and one is playing in the NFL...) but I'd still like a shot at that Top 3. It's possible, if you really did your homework and got lucky, you could have gotten Victor Martinez (97) or Carlos Zambrano (80) that year. But you could have also gotten Matt Belisle (96) or Tony Blanco (93).

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 08:36 PM
There's some logic in that...but if you went back to say, 2002, and had a chance to draft some of the Top 10 "Baseball America" prospects, and went for 'deeper picks', you would have passed on:

1) Josh Beckett
2) Mark Prior
3) Hank Blalock
4) Sean Burroughs
5) Carlos Pena
6) Juan Cruz
7) Joe Mauer
8) Wilson Betemit
9) Drew Henson
10) Mark Teixeira

Now granted, some of those haven't panned out yet (and one is playing in the NFL...) but I'd still like a shot at that Top 3. It's possible, if you really did your homework and got lucky, you could have gotten Victor Martinez (97) or Carlos Zambrano (80) that year. But you could have also gotten Matt Belisle (96) or Tony Blanco (93).

Not really. In 2002 Beckett, Blalock, Prior, Burroughs, and Pena were drafted or purchased via auction in most leagues. They were not available for a minor league draft because they were already taken.

Big_E
03-11-05, 09:18 PM
Possibly, but in a situation like this, where we're starting a league...I snagged two of the Top 9 "Baseball America" prospects. In a 13-person league, I'm damn happy with that. :D

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 09:34 PM
Possibly, but in a situation like this, where we're starting a league...I snagged two of the Top 9 "Baseball America" prospects. In a 13-person league, I'm damn happy with that. :D

I still can't believe Stewart lasted that long. :eek:

Then again, you could be holding Sean Burroughs, Jr and Drew Henson III...

Snatch Catch
03-11-05, 09:50 PM
E, why do I have this sneaking suspicion that you are going to steal the guy I want before he gets back to me?

I'm throwing out a premature "eff!" right now.

NYDCYankee
03-12-05, 01:28 AM
I was gonna take Brien Taylor

Carlos Quentin, OF, D-Backs

Big_E
03-12-05, 09:07 AM
We seem to have stalled...

Striking Back is on the clock!