PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to sportsline.com?

Big_E
02-21-05, 07:39 PM
I was looking through a fantasy baseball magazine today and there was an ad for rotowire.com

Their 2005 FBL League: http://www.rotowire.com/mlbcommish05/ (you might have to go in through the main http://www.rotowire.com/ page) has a new feature:

New for this season:

Live auction room for online drafting with dollar bidding.

Any questions? Email us at support@rotowire.com or call us at
310-883-3183 (We're in during West Coast business hours - and you may want to try at other times as well)

And the cost...Just $69.99 per league!

Worth considering? I've never played there, but we could use the money we save for prizes here (or for more to donate to the site).

Check it out...

Soriambi
02-21-05, 07:42 PM
Are there any testimonials anywhere of people with good or bad experiences with this site? I'm tempted to say that at least we know what we're getting into with Sportsline-we really have no idea what negatives this league type might have. As for the auction room, I think that the chat we have will work fine, so I don't think that should be an issue-other Kevin and I tried it out the other day with multiple people and it worked great.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 08:03 PM
Our chat forum worked fine, but if the auction room that Rotowire uses keeps track of high bids, and awards players to rosters automatically, this could be HUGE.

I'm checking it out myself right now...back in a few...

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 08:09 PM
Its really shady- I created a league, but I can't do anything...I wish they'd just let me see what the effing auction room looked like!

yanksphan
02-21-05, 09:31 PM
The rotowire.com league utilizes fantasyauctioneer.com software for the live draft.

Go to the fantasyauctioneer site, and you can do mock auction drafts against 7 computer managers. The software works really well actually.

You can use the auctioneer site for draft purposes only for $29 or $69 and it includes the rotowire league. The rotowire league looks kind of ghetto, but the auction software is nice and organized (much like the yahoo live auctions) and has features like a +$1 button, 10 second timer with "going once", "going twice" countdown, and keeps track of your lineup for you as well.

I'd be willing to use it as it's very organized. try it out here:

http://fantasyauctioneer.com/proxy?:internal:command=20050

EDIT: actually, it's $26.99 or FREE until Feb 28. From the FAQ:

$26.99 per league - a stand-alone auction-draft with no commissioner service. This service is for leagues who might prefer to use a league manager other than RotoWire (e.g. CBS Sportsline, Yahoo!, ESPN, etc.). These leagues must manually input their auction results into their preferred league manager. We recommend each league member add their own players since it's much easier for 12 people to spend five minutes each than the commissioner spend an hour adding all the players. (It should be noted that stand-alone auction-drafts are free until 2/28. Those scheduled for 3/1 and after are charged $26.99.)

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 09:34 PM
The rotowire.com league utilizes fantasyauctioneer.com software for the live draft.

Go to the fantasyauctioneer site, and you can do mock auction drafts against 7 computer managers. The software works really well actually.

You can use the auctioneer site for draft purposes only for $29 or $69 and it includes the rotowire league. The rotowire league looks kind of ghetto, but the auction software is nice and organized (much like the yahoo live auctions) and has features like a +$1 button, 10 second timer with "going once", "going twice" countdown, and keeps track of your lineup for you as well.

I'd be willing to use it as it's very organized. try it out here:

http://fantasyauctioneer.com/proxy?:internal:command=20050

WOW! I think we're using that! That looks FANTASTIC!

I'll check it out more after 24...

Big_E
02-21-05, 09:54 PM
So this might be rotowire for the auction, sportsline for the commissioner service? Sounds like the best of both worlds...

yanksphan
02-21-05, 09:56 PM
WOW! I think we're using that! That looks FANTASTIC!

I'll check it out more after 24...

I agree - the $26 is fair if we can't get everyone together by March 1

Hell, the $26 is worth not having to keep track of the auction!!

Just seems like an open chatroom might get chaotic with 12-15 teams involved.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:07 PM
I agree - the $26 is fair if we can't get everyone together by March 1

What do you mean by that?

One thing I noticed- it nominates players automatically I think...I'm not sure I like that...

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:12 PM
It does not nominate automatically. However, I'm having issues where they put a guy up and I can't bid for some reason...it's like it automatically zooms to the end and the player is sold without my having a chance to bid. I've lost no less than three players due to that. It seems buggy to me, and I'm on a very high end computer. It admits that you're at a great disadvantage if you're on a slower computer, and I can only imagine how bad it might be if it's bad with mine, which is basically brand new.

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:17 PM
Plus, it keeps going to sold, then going to the next bid and ignoring the fac that it said sold, when people put in a bid right before the bidding ends. I could see that getting very frustrating on draft day. :lol:

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:18 PM
Plus, it keeps going to sold, then going to the next bid and ignoring the fac that it said sold, when people put in a bid right before the bidding ends. I could see that getting very frustrating on draft day. :lol:

I think that that is a product of the demo. I'm wondering if we could set our own time limits?

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:21 PM
I think that that is a product of the demo. I'm wondering if we could set our own time limits?

Probably, but it could still have the problem with slower (or any) computers not being able to draft on certain players. Like I said, I have a top of the line new computer, and with some guys I would just see their name and it would say "SOLD" and they'd be off the list, with no time to bid, and evidentally the player who introduced them was getting them at the starting bid. That would be a major, major problem.

It even happened with me once-I introduced Johan Santana at $15, and everything froze for a second and next thing I knew I had him for $15.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:22 PM
Probably, but it could still have the problem with slower (or any) computers not being able to draft on certain players. Like I said, I have a top of the line new computer, and with some guys I would just see their name and it would say "SOLD" and they'd be off the list, with no time to bid.

What kind of connection do you have?

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:25 PM
What kind of connection do you have?

During my browser test, it had me at 988K. It's High Speed.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:27 PM

Thats REALLY fast. I have a cable connection, and I'm at 775.

I'm betting that the complications are due to the product we're using being a test version.

yanksphan
02-21-05, 10:28 PM

had me at 2988K and I'm having the same lag issues...

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:29 PM
Thats REALLY fast. I have a cable connection, and I'm at 775.

I'm betting that the complications are due to the product we're using being a test version.

It's quite possible. What happens, though, if we draft with it and have guys getting A-rod for $20 and Santana for $15 and Curt Schilling for $17 like it was happening in the draft? What if it's not that it's a test version, but that it's buggy? Then the draft would be more luck than skill, as the player that introduces the most players that then lag will probably get the best team.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:30 PM
It's quite possible. What happens, though, if we draft with it and have guys getting A-rod for $20 and Santana for $15 and Curt Schilling for $17 like it was happening in the draft? What if it's not that it's a test version, but that it's buggy?

Is there a way to contact them? What if we say we want the ability to really test it out before we give them any do-lo?

yanksphan
02-21-05, 10:31 PM
What do you mean by that?

One thing I noticed- it nominates players automatically I think...I'm not sure I like that...

It's free before March 1 - so I meant if we can't come up with a good time by then, the $26 isnt outrageous.

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:31 PM
Is there a way to contact them? What if we say we want the ability to really test it out before we give them any do-lo?

I believe there's a link there to e-mail them. You can go ahead, if you like. :) Just ask if that's the real version that you use when you buy it. If it is, I say no to this site. If it's not, ask if we can give the real version a try. If they won't let us, I don't think it's worth the risk. (But good find, Eric. :))

yanksphan
02-21-05, 10:34 PM
ugh - Rich Harden just went for $4.

lag....

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:34 PM
I believe there's a link there to e-mail them. You can go ahead, if you like. :) Just ask if that's the real version that you use when you buy it. If it is, I say no to this site. If it's not, ask if we can give the real version a try. If they won't let us, I don't think it's worth the risk. (But good find, Eric. :))

Actually, I'm setting up a mock auction right now. Anyone thats reading this and in the league, go to the site and sign up for a user name and password. Then we can test it out. The more the merrier. Post back here when you've done it...

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:35 PM
Can it wait 20 minutes? I need to do something quickly. I'll be back by 11.

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:36 PM
Can it wait 20 minutes? I need to do something quickly. I'll be back by 11.

You can only set up the auctions on the half hour, so 11 is the next time.

I need your e-mail saddresses, though. PM ME!

yanksphan
02-21-05, 10:42 PM
You can only set up the auctions on the half hour, so 11 is the next time.

I need your e-mail saddresses, though. PM ME!

whoa - my sample auction closed after 30 minutes....guess you can't finish??

oh well - Dallas McPherson for a buck was a nice deal

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:46 PM
whoa - my sample auction closed after 30 minutes....guess you can't finish??

oh well - Dallas McPherson for a buck was a nice deal

It won't load up the applet for me. Just that steaming cup of Java...

yanksphan
02-21-05, 10:48 PM
It won't load up the applet for me. Just that steaming cup of Java...

I cant even log into the site right now...we must have crashed it...:lol:

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:51 PM
Let it sit for a few moments. (For the draft-it takes a bit)

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:52 PM
I cant even log into the site right now...we must have crashed it...:lol:

HA!

The reason I think we go with the chat room is that with their software there is no room for error. We're completely at their mercy once we start. I mean, what if we can't finish that night? Then what? We'd probably lose the whole thing because no one's going to be keeping track of rosters. THEN we're screwed.

At least with the chatroom we have control.

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:53 PM
Plus, if there's lag in the chatroom, we can stop the draft in a worst case scenario. With this site, people with fast computers are favored, those with bad computers are at a disadvantage, and I guarantee there will be controversy over players going places due to lag..

I say chat room. :)

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:55 PM
In terms of it being an auction, though, how'd you guys like the taste of what you saw?

Pretty exciting, no?

Soriambi
02-21-05, 10:58 PM
In terms of it being an auction, though, how'd you guys like the taste of what you saw?

Pretty exciting, no?

The ones that worked were great. :)

Question-in the chat, if two people say, let's say, $27 at the same time, does the second one automatically count as $28, or is it void?

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 10:59 PM
The ones that worked were great. :)

Question-in the chat, if two people say, let's say, $27 at the same time, does the second one automatically count as $28, or is it void?

Its void. First person to make the bid gets it. The second one is negated.

NYDCYankee
02-21-05, 11:15 PM
snatch where were you in the mock auction at 11

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 11:34 PM
snatch where were you in the mock auction at 11

Were you in it? I couldn't load it for some reason...

NYDCYankee
02-21-05, 11:41 PM
there were at least 3 of us in there. but we couldnt start anything without you commish starts the first bidding

Snatch Catch
02-21-05, 11:44 PM
there were at least 3 of us in there. but we couldnt start anything without you commish starts the first bidding

Damn. I think we're just going to use our chatroom due to the reasons listed in the posts above. There's just to much unpredictability with that software...

NYDCYankee
02-21-05, 11:49 PM
yeah i think that is prob a sound idea

Big_E
02-22-05, 04:48 AM

My first post has a phone number...

Soriambi
02-22-05, 09:38 AM
My first post has a phone number...

But what are they going to say? "Yeah, it's pretty buggy. There's a good chance it might REALLY screw up your league! Still wanna buy it!? :)"

I don't trust the site based on what I've seen, and like Kevin said, we're at their mercy if we use that site.

Big_E
02-22-05, 10:21 AM
But what are they going to say? "Yeah, it's pretty buggy. There's a good chance it might REALLY screw up your league! Still wanna buy it!? :)"

I don't trust the site based on what I've seen, and like Kevin said, we're at their mercy if we use that site.

:lol:

Well, if they let you test the live site (as I think you said) and it works, it could just be the test site that's buggy...I'd hope a company wouldn't release something with so many problems that you guys encountered in the test.

I agree if it's going to be a problem, that we just go with the chat room, as awkward as it might be.

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 10:03 AM
I just got this e-mail from the fantasyauctioneer site:

Hello,

If you have received this email, it means that you signed up for an auction that may have been affected by problems we were having last week. I'm happy to announce that we resolved these issues over the weekend and have officially opened for business this season. I just wanted to thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve these last minute issues.

I also wanted to hear from you re: when would be the best time to schedule free March mock auctions for you to test out our software with other people. (Our demo with computer players will be available throughout March for free.) We'll be scheduling 20-30 of them over the next few weeks, but would like to hear specifically from you when you are available. There are two scheduled right now that still have open spots - tonight at 7 p.m. PST and on Friday, 3/4, at 4 p.m. PST.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks again for trying out our site.

Sincerely,
George del Prado
The FantasyAuctioneer Team

yanksphan
03-01-05, 10:37 AM
I just got this e-mail from the fantasyauctioneer site:

I got that too - what a coincidence that they 'fixed' their problems the day a charge is now associated with the software... :lol:

Soriambi
03-01-05, 10:40 AM
I got that too - what a coincidence that they 'fixed' their problems the day a charge is now associated with the software... :lol:

Yes, that is quite coincidental. ;) I still don't trust 'em. I think we have control over the draft room. If it starts lagging badly, we can always stop. With that, we can't. (Plus, that site allows people to pass their turn, while we don't.)

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 10:41 AM

It is funny, but this software would make things a WHOLE lot easier on us...

Can anyone test it right now? I don't have Java at work, and I can't download software onto my CPU here (No admin capabilities).

I only say this because if we can keep track of the rosters and dollar values on our own, using this software wouldn't be a bad idea.

If it crashes or effs up, we still have everything we've done recorded.

I think we really need to think about this option if everyone's system can support it. It would make things run a LOT more smoothly...

yanksphan
03-01-05, 10:48 AM
It is funny, but this software would make things a WHOLE lot easier on us...

Can anyone test it right now? I don't have Java at work, and I can't download software onto my CPU here (No admin capabilities).

I only say this because if we can keep track of the rosters and dollar values on our own, using this software wouldn't be a bad idea.

If it crashes or effs up, we still have everything we've done recorded.

I think we really need to think about this option if everyone's system can support it. It would make things run a LOT more smoothly...

I think with our chat room and my new draft board, we'll be fine. We can take breaks, discuss (argue) things out if necessary - and most importantly, continue later if necessary.

Soriambi
03-01-05, 10:50 AM
I think with our chat room and my new draft board, we'll be fine. We can take breaks, discuss (argue) things out if necessary - and most importantly, continue later if necessary.

I agree-the chat room might make it easier in some aspects, in that we can have a quick 5 minute recess or something at some point (Say, after 200 players or something), or talk about questions or issues if they come up, wtc.

boo_427
03-01-05, 11:05 AM
I agree-the chat room might make it easier in some aspects, in that we can have a quick 5 minute recess or something at some point (Say, after 200 players or something), or talk about questions or issues if they come up, wtc.

I guess I will have to move a TV in the office room so that I can watch 24 and auction at the same time. Something tells me, Snatch is already on top of this. Chanman and yanksphan will probably be doing the same thing.

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 11:05 AM

My concern is this: When you actually do the math on the league, its 13 teams of 23 players, for a total of 299 guys put up to auction.

If, by some miracle, we average 1 player a minute, thats five hours, and puts us at 2am eastern.

I have absolutely no problem with that, but I'm not sure about others.

Oh, and my guess is we take at least 5 minutes per in the first hour or so. The thing with the chatroom is that there is no way to put a time limit or see how much time is left, etc. I will do my best, but with the software everyone can see a clock, everyone can see bids, everyone can see rosters and how much money people have left.

If it works, its a WAY more streamlined option, and even if it craps out, we can just jump into the chatroom and continue, because we'll have all the rosters recorded seperately.

I'm completely fine running the auction via the chatroom, and, like I said, I have absolutely no problem staying up late, I just want to make it as user friendly and smooth as possible for everyone else.

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 11:07 AM
Something tells me, Snatch is already on top of this.

Yes, yes he is.

boo_427
03-01-05, 11:12 AM
I will do my best, but with the software everyone can see a clock, everyone can see bids, everyone can see rosters and how much money people have left.

If it works, its a WAY more streamlined option, and even if it craps out, we can just jump into the chatroom and continue, because we'll have all the rosters recorded seperately.

I'm completely fine running the auction via the chatroom, and, like I said, I have absolutely no problem staying up late, I just want to make it as user friendly and smooth as possible for everyone else.

So are we considering, using the auctioner site? Is there a cost that comes with that or is it a free trial?

FWIW, I did a live draft on Yahoo on Sunday with a group of guys I have been playing with for a while. We have 10 teams and 25 roster players. The draft took 2 hours, with 2 minute time limit per pick.

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 11:16 AM
So are we considering, using the auctioner site? Is there a cost that comes with that or is it a free trial?

FWIW, I did a live draft on Yahoo on Sunday with a group of guys I have been playing with for a while. We have 10 teams and 25 roster players. The draft took 2 hours, with 2 minute time limit per pick.

Thats the thing though: Yahoo! software FORCES a time limit on you and thus keeps the draft moving.

We have no such thing in the chatroom.

With the software we don't have to worry about waiting to see everyone else type "out", or if there are two people left, when to start the "going, going, gone" count on the bid.

Again, I'm fine with the chatroom, but I just want to make sure that the auction site is explored...can anyone check it right now?

Big_E
03-01-05, 11:17 AM
My concern is this: When you actually do the math on the league, its 13 teams of 23 players, for a total of 299 guys put up to auction.

If, by some miracle, we average 1 player a minute, thats five hours, and puts us at 2am eastern.

Holy crap!

Maybe we should have a curfew, with another day to continue the auction...or finish it in threads here, if it goes past a certain time?

Big_E
03-01-05, 11:18 AM
Again, I'm fine with the chatroom, but I just want to make sure that the auction site is explored...can anyone check it right now?

I can check it out from work. If others can too, why don't we try a mass event at say, noon eastern (40 minutes from now)?

yanksphan
03-01-05, 11:33 AM
I can check it out from work. If others can too, why don't we try a mass event at say, noon eastern (40 minutes from now)?

the fantasyauctioneer.com site gets sketchier and sketchier by the day...currently on their site:

FantasyAuctioneer.com will be down until about 9:30 a.m. PST as we run some server maintenance procedures to improve our site's performance.
Please excuse the inconvenience and come back later today.
Thank you. -The FantasyAuctioneer Team

Big_E
03-01-05, 01:02 PM
The site booted me out after 30 or 60 seconds...but then again, it's only a test. But DAMN...that looked great!

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 01:05 PM
The site booted me out after 30 or 60 seconds...but then again, it's only a test. But DAMN...that looked great!

Yep. Thats why I'm so intrigued by it!

Anyone feel like calling them and raking them over the coals a bit to see whats really up?

bakntime
03-01-05, 06:13 PM
I checked out the Auctioneer thing... it's looks great. I really think it would speed up the draft considerably. A chat room draft would be nice because we could stop and do it again another time if it was taking too long on draft night, but it would probably take 2 or 3 times longer.

The auctioneer site at least has a pause feature so we could take breaks now and then, and it really does seem to breeze along. I had no problems with it either, as far as delays or anything.

The one thing that would concern me (and it would only be a factor for me) is whether or not both Kevin (Soriambi) and I could be viewing the draft at the same time. I'm not really worried about both of us being able to bid, but I'd like to see what's going on. Not that I would be concerned letting Kevin be in the draft while we chat on AIM or whatever, but it would be nice to be able to follow along to help with the decision making.

Big_E
03-01-05, 07:17 PM
The one thing that would concern me (and it would only be a factor for me) is whether or not both Kevin (Soriambi) and I could be viewing the draft at the same time. I'm not really worried about both of us being able to bid, but I'd like to see what's going on. Not that I would be concerned letting Kevin be in the draft while we chat on AIM or whatever, but it would be nice to be able to follow along to help with the decision making.

You could follow along in the spreadsheet, as long as that's updated quickly...

boo_427
03-01-05, 07:20 PM
Should I take the time and check out this auction site? Is this something the league is considering? Because, I have checked her out and I was wondering if I should.

NYDCYankee
03-01-05, 07:32 PM
Hey ok this thing can't go 5 hrs. I don't think i can swing that. I work over night usually from 11-7. Now what I am going to do is go into work early like 7 and do some work early so as to fee up time from 11-1. No one really comes into my office till 12ish and my desk is sort of hidden so i should be cool for awile.

But I can't be drafting all night long. So maybe we can figure out a time when we can finish up the draft, or set some type of time limit (although that is not really possible.)

Snatch Catch
03-01-05, 09:04 PM
Hey ok this thing can't go 5 hrs. I don't think i can swing that. I work over night usually from 11-7. Now what I am going to do is go into work early like 7 and do some work early so as to fee up time from 11-1. No one really comes into my office till 12ish and my desk is sort of hidden so i should be cool for awile.

But I can't be drafting all night long. So maybe we can figure out a time when we can finish up the draft, or set some type of time limit (although that is not really possible.)

So you're good from 9pm until 1am, right?

I really think we should look into this auctioneer deal...

FWIW, I've already assumed that we wouldn't finish on the first night if we do it via the chat room. I've got ways to finish it up though that will work, so don't worry!

bakntime
03-01-05, 09:43 PM
You could follow along in the spreadsheet, as long as that's updated quickly...Yeah, sounds like a fun night... refreshing a spreadsheet for 3 hours :lol:

Big_E
03-01-05, 10:16 PM
So you're good from 9pm until 1am, right?

I'm good until around midnight or so...1am is a bit late...

Soriambi
03-01-05, 10:20 PM
I'm good till about 3:30 AM. I don't have to be up till about 10 the next morning. ;)

NYDCYankee
03-01-05, 11:42 PM
It will be fun sneaking around at my job...that is for sure.

bakntime
03-02-05, 12:04 AM
It will be fun sneaking around at my job...that is for sure.Dude, quit your job, seriously, what's more important?

NYDCYankee
03-02-05, 12:13 AM
Dude, quit your job, seriously, what's more important?

interesting idea...

and what an awesome reason to quit for

yanksphan
03-02-05, 12:19 AM
The one thing that would concern me (and it would only be a factor for me) is whether or not both Kevin (Soriambi) and I could be viewing the draft at the same time.

We could just set the auction up with one extra "team" - that never bids...

Soriambi
03-02-05, 12:53 AM
We could just set the auction up with one extra "team" - that never bids...

Is that possible? Then he would have to throw out names, if we turn off passing, and that would mean Vito and I would be able to throw out two names a round.

Big_E
03-02-05, 04:54 AM
Is that possible? Then he would have to throw out names, if we turn off passing, and that would mean Vito and I would be able to throw out two names a round.

I think he just needs to trust you on this...I don't like having a team there that doesn't bid. Besides which, the site might not allow that, and in the end might not let us finish the draft since he has an empty roster...

Snatch Catch
03-02-05, 08:49 AM
I think he just needs to trust you on this...I don't like having a team there that doesn't bid. Besides which, the site might not allow that, and in the end might not let us finish the draft since he has an empty roster...

Good points. I think we need to try this auction site out...

yanksphan
03-02-05, 09:31 AM
I did a mock auction on the site last night. 45 players in a little less than an hour. No lag, no double bids, premature SOLDs, etc. Worked great.

I think a non-bidding team would work fine. There's nothing saying you have to bid on players, and even if he DID have to, he could pick from the bottom of the list at the END of the auction for a buck a piece just to fill the roster and complete the auction. Then when the rosters get transferred, put all of his players in back in the FA pool. No biggy.

No need to turn off the 'pass' feature, let him pass on calling players, with the understanding that nobody else is aloud to pass.

odg347
03-02-05, 09:57 AM
Being a Mets fan I have learned to be flexible. It is not important how we do the auction, just so that it gets done. If we choose to use the site, first who will pay for it, second, are we garenteed to not go past a certain time (I am looking out for those soft Yankee fans who need to go and hug Mr. Teddy by midnight). Either way a stand needs to be taken, if your calf doesn't hurt. :D

Big_E
03-02-05, 10:05 AM
I did a mock auction on the site last night. 45 players in a little less than an hour. No lag, no double bids, premature SOLDs, etc. Worked great.

That's a LONG TIME for just 45 players. That would work out to be 6.5 hours for the 299 players we need to draft -- or ending at around 3:30am. I need to be up by 5am to go to work.

Snatch Catch
03-02-05, 10:24 AM
That's a LONG TIME for just 45 players. That would work out to be 6.5 hours for the 299 players we need to draft -- or ending at around 3:30am. I need to be up by 5am to go to work.

Those are the early rounds, though. 45 players in 55 minutes or so for the opening round is UNBELIEVABLY fast.

As we get into later rounds, people will fill up spots and be able to opt out of the bidding quicker. We will be able to average a much faster players per hour as the auction matures.

I think the auction site is the way to go...

Big_E
03-02-05, 10:26 AM
Those are the early rounds, though. 45 players in 55 minutes or so for the opening round is UNBELIEVABLY fast.

As we get into later rounds, people will fill up spots and be able to opt out of the bidding quicker. We will be able to average a much faster players per hour as the auction matures.

OK. (And you said you had a method for finishing if it got too late, anyway..)

I think the auction site is the way to go...

Me too! :D

Snatch Catch
03-02-05, 10:27 AM
Being a Mets fan I have learned to be flexible. It is not important how we do the auction, just so that it gets done. If we choose to use the site, first who will pay for it, second, are we garenteed to not go past a certain time (I am looking out for those soft Yankee fans who need to go and hug Mr. Teddy by midnight). Either way a stand needs to be taken, if your calf doesn't hurt. :D

:lol:

I'll layout for the site. Its only $27...Thats just $27 more I have to win in Vegas :cool:

yanksphan
03-02-05, 10:33 AM

Yup - these were the Arod, Vlad, Pujols, Andy Phillips types where the bidding started at $17 (by the stupid AI computers) and had to work their way up to the $40 levels...takes a while.

Lets do it!

boo_427
03-02-05, 10:35 AM
So should I take the time to do a mock auction? Would that be beneficial?

When are we going to decide on the format (auction or chat)?

Can someone post the link to the auctioneer site?

Enough questions...

yanksphan
03-02-05, 11:04 AM
So should I take the time to do a mock auction? Would that be beneficial?

When are we going to decide on the format (auction or chat)?

Can someone post the link to the auctioneer site?

Enough questions...

Nah, no need to run a mock - just bid real high on those upper tier players that get thrown out first. :P

Actually the mock is a great way to see how easy it is to blow your wad. You get to see guys like Tim Hudson go for $23 while you hold a $42 RJ in your hands... :(

www.fantasyauctioneer.com

Soriambi
03-02-05, 11:55 AM

Then you'd be able to get about an hour of sleep! It works out perfectly! ;)

If we don't turn passing off, though, then other players can just wait until the time limit for their player being thrown out expires, if they wanted to pass. (I don't even know if turning passing off is possible, actually.)

And I don't think Vito "trusting" me is the point here. He's said he doesn't care if he gets to bid, since we've discussed every player in depth beforehand-he just wants to be able to see the auction going on.

Snatch Catch
03-02-05, 12:03 PM
Then you'd be able to get about an hour of sleep! It works out perfectly! ;)

If we don't turn passing off, though, then other players can just wait until the time limit for their player being thrown out expires, if they wanted to pass. (I don't even know if turning passing off is possible, actually.)

And I don't think Vito "trusting" me is the point here. He's said he doesn't care if he gets to bid, since we've discussed every player in depth beforehand-he just wants to be able to see the auction going on.

I wonder if he could log in as you? I wonder if that would mess it up?

Soriambi
03-02-05, 12:04 PM
I wonder if he could log in as you? I wonder if that would mess it up?

I bet it doesn't let you log in two people under the same name at once. I know SL doesn't let you access the site if someone else has your account open.