PDA

View Full Version : MVP Baseball 2005

Pages : [1] 2

BillBuckner
02-08-05, 06:29 PM
http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2005/home.jsp

Looks sick. I cant wait to try out the new owner mode. I'll show George how its done.

nygfan07
02-08-05, 09:00 PM
I hate how they get me to buy a new game every year just so I can play with the updated rosters. Last year I tried to avoid buying it and tried to make all of the transactions manually. (I do not reccomend this)

Evil Empire
02-08-05, 09:04 PM
It looks really good, though do you know of any differences between 04 and 05. I dunno if I wanna waste my money if theres no changes (other than roster)

Check out the Randy Johnson video. :cool:

chanman7483
02-08-05, 09:36 PM
Aesthetically, i can see marked improvements from the previous year's version. Stadium detail has been enhanced, you can actually make diving catches, etc.

Some things I didn't like when I read up on it is the "hitter's eye", which I brought up in the mvp 2004 thread.

The hitter's eye is basically a tool that the batter uses to identify the pitch. When the pitch is thrown, right at the release point, a color flashes. Check out the video on the site to see what I mean. This pretty much sucks because as a pitcher, you're at a severe disadvantage.

Say you're Roy Halladay in the game(hardest pitcher to hit in the game by far). You're tearing him up splitters and curvers and the dreaded palmball. Then, you decide to try to gas him w/ the heater. If the batter looks carefully, he'll see the corresponding color for a fastball flash, and he'll know to be ready for it. Here's an opposite scenario: You're bartolo colon and you have a 98 mph heater. This is always in the back of your mind. So if Bartolo throws a straight change in mvp 2004, most of the time, the batter will be way out in front. Not this time. They'll know it's a changeup just by seeing the color at the release point. Ugh. Thank god you can turn it off(although I might use it when I play the computer).

Also, I haven't seen anything addressing the lefty hitting glitch. Has anyone read anything about this, and if so, provide a link.

Evil Empire
02-08-05, 10:11 PM
Aesthetically, i can see marked improvements from the previous year's version. Stadium detail has been enhanced, you can actually make diving catches, etc.

Some things I didn't like when I read up on it is the "hitter's eye", which I brought up in the mvp 2004 thread.

The hitter's eye is basically a tool that the batter uses to identify the pitch. When the pitch is thrown, right at the release point, a color flashes. Check out the video on the site to see what I mean. This pretty much sucks because as a pitcher, you're at a severe disadvantage.

Say you're Roy Halladay in the game(hardest pitcher to hit in the game by far). You're tearing him up splitters and curvers and the dreaded palmball. Then, you decide to try to gas him w/ the heater. If the batter looks carefully, he'll see the corresponding color for a fastball flash, and he'll know to be ready for it. Here's an opposite scenario: You're bartolo colon and you have a 98 mph heater. This is always in the back of your mind. So if Bartolo throws a straight change in mvp 2004, most of the time, the batter will be way out in front. Not this time. They'll know it's a changeup just by seeing the color at the release point. Ugh. Thank god you can turn it off(although I might use it when I play the computer).

Also, I haven't seen anything addressing the lefty hitting glitch. Has anyone read anything about this, and if so, provide a link.
Thanks!! It really looks good! :)

yanksrule51
02-09-05, 10:19 AM
The lefty glitch has officially been fixed, so I am officially there. Game looks great.

chanman7483
02-09-05, 10:23 AM
Lets use this board and thread to set up games online. I play MVP 2004 alot, but never once have I played someone from this board. I'd like to though :) All challenges welcome once 2005 comes out.

BrooklynBotz
02-09-05, 10:27 AM
check out ign.com, they have previews and news about the game. i'm excited already, march 2nd can't come soon enough.

RhodyYanksFan
02-09-05, 10:33 AM

You can make diving catches in '04. Use the right analog stick.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-09-05, 10:56 AM
It's only $29.99 this year, but Manny Ramirez is on the cover. I'm waiting to see if anyone makes any Sheffield custom covers that look good so I can cover the actual cover (with Manny) up.

chanman7483
02-09-05, 10:56 AM
You can make diving catches in '04. Use the right analog stick.

Yeah, I know. I meant to say they made adjustments and refinements to the diving controls and effectiveness, because lets face it... diving attempts in the outfield really didn't do squat in 2004. There are some other adjustments they made to the game, whcih I dind't name.. they can be found in the interview on IGN.

RhodyYanksFan
02-09-05, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I know. I meant to say they made adjustments and refinements to the diving controls and effectiveness, because lets face it... diving attempts in the outfield really didn't do squat in 2004. There are some other adjustments they made to the game, whcih I dind't name.. they can be found in the interview on IGN.

Yeah, just because it was availible doesn't mean it worked well. The computer always had outfield web gems on me, but when I tried it usually ended up with my guy eating grass and a triple or in the park HR for the computer.

chanman7483
02-09-05, 11:07 AM
Yeah, just because it was availible doesn't mean it worked well. The computer always had outfield web gems on me, but when I tried it usually ended up with my guy eating grass and a triple or in the park HR for the computer.

The damn computer scaled the fence a couple of times on me. The worst is when you hit a short fly ball, and the computer's outfielder will lope over... and you don't know if they'll be able to make the catch or not. Then suddenly, they'll dive and have the ball. If that was any of us, the ball would drop, roll to the wall, and result in an inside the park HR.

That's why I play as the Twins a lot... human opponents tend to F up line drives and fly balls.. allowing the ball to get past them. With a team like the Twins, that has great team speed, this usually accounts for at least 1 run per game for me. This is especially true if you're playing in the Metrodome, and the ball never stops rolling :)

BronxByTheBay
02-09-05, 11:29 AM

What lefty hitting glitch? I've played this game obsessively and haven't encountered any glitch...other than it being a little harder to hit homeruns with a lefty and too easy with a righty.

Am I missing something?

Stupid Flanders
02-09-05, 11:34 AM
I hate how they get me to buy a new game every year just so I can play with the updated rosters. Last year I tried to avoid buying it and tried to make all of the transactions manually. (I do not reccomend this)
You can download the latest rosters if you have broadband (PS2) or PC.

BrooklynBotz
02-09-05, 11:35 AM
What lefty hitting glitch? I've played this game obsessively and haven't encountered any glitch...other than it being a little harder to hit homeruns with a lefty and too easy with a righty.

Am I missing something?

yes, there were a few major glitches with the game, one of them being the fact that lefty's hit with ridiculous top spin on the ball, check out the MVP 2004 thread to read more about them.

Sam2448
02-09-05, 12:15 PM

:lol: Every year I do the same thing and tell myself that I'm never going to do it again, but I've done it the last 3 years, I just can't help myself.

ZYanksRule
02-09-05, 12:27 PM
I've actually already preordered the game for my computer, so f anyone else gets it for the computer, I'd be happy to play 'em.

Can't wait for this thing to come out :) Lats year I got ESPN's game, but later played MVP and loved it, a sweet freakin game. This year, no more mistakes with ESPN lol

BronxByTheBay
02-09-05, 12:30 PM
yes, there were a few major glitches with the game, one of them being the fact that lefty's hit with ridiculous top spin on the ball, check out the MVP 2004 thread to read more about them.

I just checked that out. As I said, I did notice it was easier for righties than lefties, but then I figured out a trick and had much more success with lefties. At one point in a season, I traded Giambi for Todd Helton (don't ask) and Helton wound up hitting 52 homers.

I think if there's any upgrade I would love for the game this year it would be a better, more flexible trading system. I remember the pc version of high heat had the best - you could propose trades to teams, and they'd tell you if that offer worked. If it didn't, the other team's GM would name the players required to get the deal done. You could then substitute different combinations of players to finalize. This was great for acquiring big name ballplayers for triple-A talent packages. MVP basically will only allow superstar for superstar, which really sucks for the aspiring Theo Epstiens out there who want to acquire great players for dreck. ;)

BillBuckner
02-09-05, 12:33 PM
If you preorder a game on line for delivery, will it arrive March 1?

chanman7483
02-09-05, 12:39 PM
No, I think it ships March 2nd.

I say this because I showed up at Best Buy last year the day it said it was coming out, and they said it wasn't available, that it was actually shipping that day.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-09-05, 12:39 PM

Although you know what the pitch will be it's quite possible that the speeds change considerably to add change to the game. I played Dynasty on MVP difficulty and got 70+ homers with Jeter. Although you know what pitch it is it may be more realistic to hit now. We'll have to wait and see.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-09-05, 12:42 PM

Yeah I know, my Giambi had an average of like .223 (which can be said of his previously unhealthy human counterpart) and if he would get it in the hot zone he would ground out. It sucked.

RhodyYanksFan
02-09-05, 12:48 PM

Am I missing something?

Yes...what you described is a textbook definition of a glitch.

yanksrule51
02-09-05, 01:38 PM

Am I missing something?

That's exactly the problem but I think its damn near impossible to hit a lefty homerun unless the ball's thrown high and tight and you manage to be perfect with your swing.

But its been remedied regardless.

http://www.operationsports.com/features.asp?game=mvpbaseball05int

Ben Brinkman, Associate Producer MVP 2005

"I stake my job on the fact that left handed and right handed batters are created equal in MVP 2005. We spent a lot of time working on the ball physics this year and those of you who played MVP 2004 will immediately notice a difference with regards to hit results. Those of you who didnt play MVP 2004 will notice the most realistic baseball physics to date."

yanksphan
02-09-05, 01:41 PM
This was fixed with the 2nd patch issued by EA.

If you guys are playing on PC, there are a TON of mods that are easy to install here: www.mvpmods.com

Uniforms, rosters, stadiums...everything!

BronxByTheBay
02-09-05, 11:20 PM
Hey, here's a question perhaps someone can answer:

How come some players weren't included in MVP '04 such as Barry Bonds and Kevin Millar?

Evil Empire
02-09-05, 11:21 PM
I think I'm getting it for PSP when it comes out :)

yanksrule51
02-10-05, 12:21 AM
Hey, here's a question perhaps someone can answer:

How come some players weren't included in MVP '04 such as Barry Bonds and Kevin Millar?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with issues with the MLBPA. I don't think they are affiliated with the players' association.

BronxByTheBay
02-10-05, 01:01 AM
I'm pretty sure it has to do with issues with the MLBPA. I don't think they are affiliated with the players' association.

Really? I think I read somewhere that Millar was a scab of some sort, so that would make sense if I remember correctly...but Barry Bonds? Kinda strange that the biggest name in the sport isn't affiliated with MLBPA, no?

ZYanksRule
02-10-05, 01:08 AM
Really? I think I read somewhere that Millar was a scab of some sort, so that would make sense if I remember correctly...but Barry Bonds? Kinda strange that the biggest name in the sport isn't affiliated with MLBPA, no?

Bonds doesn't want to sign the contract everyother player signs, he wants a bigger piece cut, so he's not in any games.

BillBuckner
02-10-05, 08:28 AM

I think theyre doing the same thing with Millar this year they did with Bonds last year. I saw on the demo some 1stbaseman for the Sox (some made up guy) batting in Millar's spot in the lineup. I'm guessing his attributes will be the same, we should just have to adjust his appearance and information.

Shaun4013
02-10-05, 10:50 AM
The day it comes out, I am buying it. I cant wait.

BronxByTheBay
02-10-05, 10:56 AM
Bonds doesn't want to sign the contract everyother player signs, he wants a bigger piece cut, so he's not in any games.

I'd say I'm surprised but considering that we're talking about Barry Bonds, I'm not.

BronxByTheBay
02-10-05, 11:13 AM
The day it comes out, I am buying it. I cant wait.

www.ebgames.com. You can pre-order it for $29.95.

chanman7483
02-10-05, 11:35 AM
YO

I spoke to the guy from EB games on the phone and he told me about a promotion they're having:

Trade in any 2 NON SPORT games, and get 10 dollars off, automatically, and then the trade in value. It probably won't be much, but combine that w/ the 10 dollars off, and you'll be able to get the game for almost nothing.You can do this for up to 6 games, which would equal 30 dollars+the trade in value for the 6 games. I'm trading in Hitman and Grand theft auto: vice city

it's worth checking out.

BrooklynBotz
02-10-05, 02:46 PM
YO

I spoke to the guy from EB games on the phone and he told me about a promotion they're having:

Trade in any 2 NON SPORT games, and get 10 dollars off, automatically, and then the trade in value. It probably won't be much, but combine that w/ the 10 dollars off, and you'll be able to get the game for almost nothing.You can do this for up to 6 games, which would equal 30 dollars+the trade in value for the 6 games. I'm trading in Hitman and Grand theft auto: vice city

it's worth checking out.

is this in person only, or is online included?

chanman7483
02-10-05, 03:15 PM
My guess would be that it's only an in-person thing... can't really trade stuff in online...

BrooklynBotz
02-10-05, 04:03 PM
My guess would be that it's only an in-person thing... can't really trade stuff in online...

good point but who knows these days with these kids and their crazy computers. :)

chanman7483
02-10-05, 05:03 PM
So what's the deal folks, who's going to be first in line to get whooped when the game comes out? There's no excuses - - I've told you about the rebates! Btw, I will be purchasing it for the ps2.

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-11-05, 02:42 AM
OK, what to do:
Buy it for my PC or buy a PS2 and the game?

Pro PC: patches
Con PC: my PC is getting old which could effect the visuals and gameplay

Pro PS2: bigger screen
up to speed visuals and gameplay
Con PS2: no patches

All advice is welcome!

BrooklynBotz
02-11-05, 10:35 AM
OK, what to do:

All advice is welcome!

i always go with games for PS2 but that's just me. hopefully they've fixed all the glitches and you won't need patches as much.

BronxByTheBay
02-11-05, 10:40 AM
OK, what to do:

All advice is welcome!

Actually? I'd go buy an X-box. Graphics are MUCH, MUCH better than PS2. I owned the game for both, and was really impressed with the X-box version.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-11-05, 10:46 AM
Get it for PS2, especially if you get the new, slim one console. Chicks love that thing.

RhodyYanksFan
02-11-05, 10:49 AM
YO

it's worth checking out.

Nice...so $19.95 less trade in value for the 2 games? Sounds like a great deal. Is that a company-wide promo, or just the one you go to?

chanman7483
02-11-05, 11:22 AM
Not sure... go to http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/default.asp# and click on the top, store locator and type in your zip code. I can't wait :)

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-13-05, 06:08 AM
I have been fooling around with my video card, so now I can't play MVP2004 any more. This will give me extra time this month...
Luckily MVP2005 is just around the corner.
I'm now thinking about a PS2 or a Xbox.
I was between PC and PS2 first, but your reactions made me swift to PS2 or Xbox.
I have searched some old threads on this site and I'm leaning towards Xbox.

I read there is an European and an American version of the PS2. Is this also the case for Xbox?

Pro PS2:
* the controller (use the Logitech dual action now)

Con PS2:
* European and American versions
* memory cards

PRO Xbox:
* visuals
* harddrive instead of memory cards

Con Xbox:
* it's Microsoft

I will be using the console only to play MVPbaseball.
I haven't considered online play yet.
Wanna help me making a choice?
Thanx in andvance for all the input!

chanman7483
02-13-05, 10:51 AM
The only thing I have against xbox is that it's frickin mammoth and you can't bring it anywhere... plus, the controller, for me, is pretty awkward. This holds true for the smaller one as well.

BronxByTheBay
02-13-05, 11:36 AM
I have been fooling around with my video card, so now I can't play MVP2004 any more. This will give me extra time this month...

I would definately choose an X-box. The graphics are much better, the hard drive is great - the game plays faster on x-box (simulating parts of a 162 game season on PS2 was a nightmare).

Only caveat I'd throw in: I am NOT a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I basically play baseball games and the occasional "big event" game like HALO. So take my recommendation with that in mind.

26 and counting
02-14-05, 10:12 AM
The coolest part about this game is that you can make your own stadium, although from what I hear there are only four outfield dimension types (high RF wall, short LF wall, small all-around, and symmetrical).

Also, this game has all the AAA and AA teams, as well as the top-level A ball teams.

The goal in the owner mode will be to win, of course, but also to make as much profit as possible. You can build a new stadium for your team, and if you make enough profit you can expand it over the years into a super-size stadium. You can also hire and fire coaches, set ticket and concession prices, and even set promotional days to try to draw more fans.

26 and counting
02-14-05, 10:16 AM
This was fixed with the 2nd patch issued by EA.

If you guys are playing on PC, there are a TON of mods that are easy to install here: www.mvpmods.com

Uniforms, rosters, stadiums...everything!

This is why I get the game for PC, because EA does such a horrible job with the details of the uniforms and stadiums. They don't even have the windows in the left-field wall in Yankee stadium for goodness sakes. But you can install a patch by someone from mvpmods to fix that. Shea and Dodger Stadiums were also very boring last year, but someone spiced those up and made they look pretty nice.

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-14-05, 10:19 AM
You can also hire and fire coaches, set ticket and concession prices, and even set promotional days to try to draw more fans.

I saw BASEketball on tv yesterday and they had 'buttplug day'.
Don't wanna drop my soap in that crowd....
I'm sure EASports won't go there.

BrooklynBotz
02-14-05, 10:23 AM
I saw BASEketball on tv yesterday and they had 'buttplug day'.
Don't wanna drop my soap in that crowd....
I'm sure EASports won't go there.

i love that movie and i wish they would make a real baseketball league. maybe i should quit my job and focus my energy on that.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-14-05, 10:52 AM
I was between PC and PS2 first, but your reactions made me swift to PS2 or Xbox.
I have searched some old threads on this site and I'm leaning towards Xbox.

I read there is an European and an American version of the PS2. Is this also the case for Xbox?

Pro PS2:
* the controller (use the Logitech dual action now)

Con PS2:
* European and American versions
* memory cards

PRO Xbox:
* visuals
* harddrive instead of memory cards

Con Xbox:
* it's Microsoft

I will be using the console only to play MVPbaseball.
I haven't considered online play yet.
Wanna help me making a choice?
Thanx in andvance for all the input!

Xbox Live is much smoother than PS2 online. I've played on both.

chanman7483
02-14-05, 11:21 AM
Your expiernece with choppy gameplay is most likely the cause of having a laggy opponent.

There's nothing wrong with ps2 online as long as u have a good connection.

chanman7483
02-17-05, 02:28 AM
Ugh, remember that trade in deal I was telling you guys about before? Well, you definetly get 10 dollars off right off the bat.. then you add the trade in value of the games to the discount. I got 3 dollars and 60 cents for the two games, I traded in, GTA Vice City and Hitman 2. Granted, they're pretty much obsolete, as newer versions of the games are out, but still... this buy back sh*t is worse than the Seton hall bookstore's...

BillBuckner
02-18-05, 01:20 PM
New question: Does anyone know where to find the player ratings, if they're available anywhere?

yanksrule51
02-21-05, 03:46 PM
It appears as though the shipping date for MVP 2005 has been bumped up a week to this Tuessday the 22nd which means it should be in stores Wednesday the 23rd. :D

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/MVPBaseball2005/

Shaun4013
02-21-05, 04:05 PM
WOOHOO! Ill buy it the day it hits shelves

Stupid Flanders
02-21-05, 04:08 PM
It appears as though the shipping date for MVP 2005 has been bumped up a week to this Tuessday the 22nd which means it should be in stores Wednesday the 23rd. :D

What the hell? 29.95? Wow, Ipaid $49.95 last year

S2
02-21-05, 04:13 PM

That made my day. This game looks great. I've been playing last years recently and spent too long adjusting the rosters.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 04:16 PM

WOW - great news! Feels like Christmas came early. It'll definately help me get through spring training until I can watch the real thing in April.

Evil Empire
02-21-05, 04:17 PM
Is anyone getting it for PSP?

BoSox37
02-21-05, 04:29 PM
What the hell? 29.95? Wow, Ipaid $49.95 last year

You can thank ESPN for that, lots of games have lowered prices since ESPN released their games at $19.99.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 04:31 PM
You can thank ESPN for that, lots of games have lowered prices since ESPN released their games at $19.99.

Please don't make me thank ESPN for anything.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 04:34 PM
I just realized something...I've never been so excited to see Manny Ramirez in my life.

Evil Empire
02-21-05, 04:48 PM
I just realized something...I've never been so excited to see Manny Ramirez in my life.
:lol: :lol:

Moose35
02-21-05, 04:54 PM
I can't wait for this. Wednesday's work day is going to be the longest of my life.

Kulish29
02-21-05, 05:23 PM
I'm jonesing. Next Tuesday cannot come quick enough.

yanksrule51
02-21-05, 05:25 PM

I'm slipping a picture of Randy Johnson inside the clear sleeve.

Kulish29
02-21-05, 05:53 PM
You know, it will be nice to actually be able to hit a homer with Jason Giambi. :lol:

BillBuckner
02-21-05, 08:36 PM
I'm slipping a picture of Randy Johnson inside the clear sleeve.

Haha yea I was telling my roomate the same thing. I might tape a pic of Jeter over the disc or something.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 08:42 PM
You know, it will be nice to actually be able to hit a homer with Jason Giambi. :lol:

I think us gamers and the Yankee front office both agree on that point.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 08:44 PM
I'm jonesing. Next Tuesday cannot come quick enough.

Didn't you see the earlier message? The game's being released THIS Wednesday.

Kiss your productive weekend goodbye one week earlier.

YankeePride1967
02-21-05, 08:45 PM

Oh boy, now I'm pumped. I think my 2004 edition is worn out.

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 09:04 PM
Oh boy, now I'm pumped. I think my 2004 edition is worn out.

Tell me about it. If I hear the Von Bondies "C'mon, C'mon" one more time I'm gonna have a psychotic episode.

VFBundy
02-21-05, 09:07 PM

No kidding!! I was trading away all my lefties for righties. This is the greatest baseball game I've ever played, but the lefty problem was a HUGE glitch. Glad to see the 2005 version (almost) here.

VFBundy

VFBundy
02-21-05, 09:09 PM
Tell me about it. If I hear the Von Bondies "C'mon, C'mon" one more time I'm gonna have a psychotic episode.

After a couple of months, I finally gave in and turned the music off.

VFBundy

Evil Empire
02-21-05, 09:12 PM
I got so bored of that song in like August :lol:

chanman7483
02-21-05, 10:07 PM
Did you guys all do the pre-sale?

Hopefully I get my phone call to tell me its in tommorow!(they call you the day before)

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 10:10 PM

Hopefully I get my phone call to tell me its in tommorow!(they call you the day before)

I did. Paid extra for overnight (the electronic stores near me have a spotty track record of getting games in...or I should say - on the shelves).

I called today to confirm if the game was shipping and was told it's going out tomorrow and I'll have it by Wednesday. EB games.

Woo. Hoo.

chanman7483
02-21-05, 10:10 PM
Are you getting it for ps2? lets play against each other..

Evil Empire
02-21-05, 10:14 PM

Thats A Good idea

BillBuckner
02-21-05, 10:43 PM

Hey thats a great song. I'm a little dissapointed in this years soundtrack however. I think 2003's was the best by far.

YankeePride1967
02-21-05, 10:46 PM

After the first week, I clicked the mute button anytime I went to the menu screen. I heard that one song the 2005 version plays a lot is a song the Sox played alot at Fenway (Tessie, I think.).

BillBuckner
02-21-05, 10:57 PM

the commerical today said IN STORES NOW. So much for my history exam Thursday........

S2
02-21-05, 11:17 PM
After the first week, I clicked the mute button anytime I went to the menu screen. I heard that one song the 2005 version plays a lot is a song the Sox played alot at Fenway (Tessie, I think.).

Unfortunately, you're right. 2005 Songs (http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2005/music.jsp)

BTW, the MVP 2005 main page has changed the release date from March 1st to February 22nd. :)

BronxByTheBay
02-21-05, 11:31 PM
Okay, this is completely petty but the first thing I'm doing with the game?

I'm gonna have Randy Johnson hit David Ortiz just because I can.

I love baseball video games...

chanman7483
02-21-05, 11:53 PM
Wow... the soundtrack sucks absolute as$...

yanksrule51
02-22-05, 06:15 AM
Wow... the soundtrack sucks absolute as$...

Thats the first thing I do, turn off music then fix my rosters.

chanman7483
02-22-05, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know what dates the rosters were set? I hope RJ is on the yanks and beltran is on the mets, mags on the tigers, etc....

Mystic Merlyn
02-22-05, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know what dates the rosters were set? I hope RJ is on the yanks and beltran is on the mets, mags on the tigers, etc....

From what I've heard, the rosters are pretty up to date....

I can't wait until this game comes out. I pre-ordered it and I am just waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox...

yanksrule51
02-22-05, 12:27 PM
RJ will be a yankee, beltran will be a met.

Sosa will not be an oriole, maggs will not be a tiger.

Dont know about Delgado.

chanman7483
02-22-05, 12:44 PM
Do any of you guys go through about 25,30 games of a season and realize that your guys are on pace for like.. 60 homeruns each, 230 RBIs(this is on mvp), and then think to yourself... umm... this is kinda stupid... then simulate the next 60 games do you get somewhat realistic stats...

or is this just me? :uhh:

yanksrule51
02-22-05, 01:25 PM
Do any of you guys go through about 25,30 games of a season and realize that your guys are on pace for like.. 60 homeruns each, 230 RBIs(this is on mvp), and then think to yourself... umm... this is kinda stupid... then simulate the next 60 games do you get somewhat realistic stats...

or is this just me? :uhh:

That is why I never play seasons of sports games. I always get too anal because Arod's on pace for 75 home runs and I have 4 guys hitting .500+. I always just play exhibition games or if I get antsy I just sim a season and play the playoffs.

BillBuckner
02-22-05, 01:49 PM
Did anyone get it yet?

BrooklynBotz
02-22-05, 01:52 PM
Did anyone get it yet?

it's not out yet is it? i thought i comes out on march 2nd.

edit- oops didn't read all the other posts. i called gamestop and they said they would have it tomorrow.

costanza35
02-22-05, 03:18 PM
RJ will be a yankee, beltran will be a met.

Sosa will not be an oriole, maggs will not be a tiger.

Dont know about Delgado.

Delgado should def be on the marlins. on the easports homepage, they have a video clip of him in his marlins jersey.

i cant wait to spend countless hours playing around with the stadium designer. Hopefully it's real in-depth.

Still doesn't look like they've included classic teams (i.e. '98 yanks, '27 yanks...) Madden's been doing it for so many years, why not mvp???

BronxByTheBay
02-22-05, 10:41 PM
Is everyone aware that this will be the last installment of MVP? Gotta say, THAT sucks.

Baseball is usually the worst-rendered sport on consoles...this was the first truly great adaptation.

Boohoo.

yanksrule51
02-22-05, 10:41 PM
http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/894/MVP-Baseball-2005/p1/

Sounds great. Overall it got an 8.8 but most importantly gameplay got a 9.4. Man, I'm going to be going through the motions in class tomorrow until I can get a chance to play this.

yanksrule51
02-22-05, 10:42 PM
Is everyone aware that this will be the last installment of MVP? Gotta say, THAT sucks.

Baseball is usually the worst-rendered sport on consoles...this was the first truly great adaptation.

Boohoo.

Sadly yes. It appears over but the way this game sounds like its shaping up, if I had to play one baseball game forever this would be it.

Evil Empire
02-22-05, 10:43 PM

Boohoo.
Why is that? Are they making a new series or something?

chanman7483
02-22-05, 10:53 PM
No. This will be the baseball games to end all baseball games. They'll just update rosters and we'll download them. (I'm joking)

Evil Empire
02-22-05, 10:55 PM
No. This will be the baseball games to end all baseball games. They'll just update rosters and we'll download them. (I'm joking)
LOL, I mean will EA start up a new series like they did with Triple Play to MVP?

BronxByTheBay
02-22-05, 11:05 PM
Why is that? Are they making a new series or something?

I have no idea, actually...it's a good question.

If any other MVPers have the answer, step up to the plate, please.

BronxByTheBay
02-22-05, 11:08 PM
That Take Twos deal with MLB means that this is the last year for multiple, officially endorsed diamond titles.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/894/MVP-Baseball-2005/p1/

Okay, THAT sucks. Just ONE company producing baseball games? What if it sucks?

Sigh...I'm gonna wind up playing MVP 2005 for the next few years same as I did Baseball Stars when I was a kid.

knickfan23
02-22-05, 11:53 PM
They show the commercial a few minutes ago and it featured Ramirez and Mike Mussina at The Stadium.

I've never seen Man Ram take Moose deep at YS, so MVP had to set it up where is only in the game Ram goes deep.

yanksrule51
02-23-05, 10:42 AM
I have no idea, actually...it's a good question.

If any other MVPers have the answer, step up to the plate, please.

MLB signed an exclusive 7 year deal with 'Take-Two Interactive' to exclusively make official baseball games with MLB licensing. This gives them exclusive rights to clubs, names, players and stadiums. So if another company wanted to make a baseball game, they would have to do it Nintendo style with fake teams and players. First party developers like Microsoft or Sony could use the MLB rights in agreement with Take Two but not other 3rd parties like EA. So for all intent and purposes MVP baseball dies with 2005. :(

DaBomber25
02-23-05, 11:40 AM
My friend who works at Best Buy just called, they have MVP available today for $29.99. This is in Mass so take that for what it's worth.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 12:48 PM
I just got my copy about 40 minutes ago.

Any chance of productivity just went out the window. The improvements at first are subtle, but once you start playing games VERY noticable. They did one hell of a job with it this year.

First game? What do you think?

Red Sox 2 - Yankees 1, bottom of the second.

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 12:54 PM
I just got my copy about 40 minutes ago.

Any chance of productivity just went out the window. The improvements at first are subtle, but once you start playing games VERY noticable. They did one hell of a job with it this year.

First game? What do you think?

Red Sox 2 - Yankees 1, bottom of the second.

time for a comeback!

S2
02-23-05, 01:22 PM
I just got it at EB in the Emerald Square Mall in Mass. for 30 bucks, even though it had been advertised as 40 or 50. I'm not complaining.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 01:45 PM
time for a comeback!

Yankees win 4-3. RJ had 10 k's in 8 innings.

And I still haven't gotten any work done.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 01:53 PM
OH god. I have a finance exam tommorow... and I plan on picking the game up today after work. BAD times.

Tell me, how is the "hitter's eye" thing? Does the color flashing give away the pitch? Is it helping you hit?

TELL ME.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 02:30 PM
OH god. I have a finance exam tommorow... and I plan on picking the game up today after work. BAD times.

Tell me, how is the "hitter's eye" thing? Does the color flashing give away the pitch? Is it helping you hit?

TELL ME.

I haven't used it yet, actually. I'm not really into advantages - I turn off hot/cold, strike zone, etc.

Yankees just won game 2 against the Sox (I've started playing a season). Moose with the shutout, BABY!!!

Pavano going for the sweep after lunch.

(My fiancee is definately going to leave me...)

And I STILL haven't gotten any work done.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 02:30 PM
Incidentally, kudos again to EA - wait till you guys get a load of the editing tool. So much new stuff I'll actually have to read the manual to know how to use it.

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 02:31 PM
Yankees win 4-3. RJ had 10 k's in 8 innings.

And I still haven't gotten any work done.

You know what? I'm calling out tomorrow, if not, I'm not going to be able to get it until Saturday.

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 02:36 PM
Question, is Bonds still a fictional name or did the Prince of SF consent to using his name?

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 02:40 PM
Question, is Bonds still a fictional name or did the Prince of SF consent to using his name?

Unfortunately not. No Bonds (Jon Dowd is SUCH an awesome player) and no Kevin Millar.

What's really strange is the Kevin Millar stand in is a skinny African-American with either a blond or grey beard, I can't tell.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 02:43 PM
You know what? I'm calling out tomorrow, if not, I'm not going to be able to get it until Saturday.

I'd love to have a transcript of the thought process to make this decision! "If i call out of work, I will have a load of work to catch up on... and my boss will probably be pissed"... but then on the other hand you have "MVP baseball 2005... mmmmm"

"aw fcuk it.. i'm calling out"

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 02:55 PM
I'd love to have a transcript of the thought process to make this decision! "If i call out of work, I will have a load of work to catch up on... and my boss will probably be pissed"... but then on the other hand you have "MVP baseball 2005... mmmmm"

"aw fcuk it.. i'm calling out"

my philosophy is, it will still be here Friday.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 04:05 PM
Pavano only lasted 4 innings...gave up 5 runs, with more threatening. Sturtze came in and pitched like the stud we know he can be.

Yankees SHELLED Clement - they won the game 10-5 for a series sweep.

STILL no work done...

chanman7483
02-23-05, 04:20 PM
I'm sitting here just staring at the game still wrapped in plastic.

It won't stay that way for long. Peace.

Evil Empire
02-23-05, 04:43 PM
Just got it for PC, but I'm bummed that they don't allow trade ins for PC games. I wanted to trade in my 04 version but I couldn't :(

Anyway, I'm psyched, I'm gonna install it rite now.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 04:45 PM
First impression after one pitch:

Ew... ugly graphics, animations... we'll see... looks a lot more cartoony this year.

Moose35
02-23-05, 04:46 PM
This game is amazing.

Struck out the side in the top of the first with RJ... hopefully what will happen on opening night.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 04:52 PM
First impression after one pitch:

Ew... ugly graphics, animations... we'll see... looks a lot more cartoony this year.

What machine are you running it on? I'm using xbox and I actually think it looks LESS cartoony than last year. I'm very impressed with the animations especially. Only graphics complaint I have thus far is some players faces actually look less like their real-life counter part than last year's game (Matsui, for instance).

One other complaint: since when does Carl Pavano throw mid-90's? Usually MVP is pretty good at matching pitchers ability to the real thing...unless Pavano does throw mid-90's?? Is it me?

chanman7483
02-23-05, 04:52 PM
Thoughts after first inning: I'm liking this more and more. I feel like I can see the ball a lot better in this version.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 04:53 PM
What machine are you running it on? I'm using xbox and I actually think it looks LESS cartoony than last year. I'm very impressed with the animations especially. Only graphics complaint I have thus far is some players faces actually look less like their real-life counter part than last year's game (Matsui, for instance).

One other complaint: since when does Carl Pavano throw mid-90's? Usually MVP is pretty good at matching pitchers ability to the real thing...unless Pavano does throw mid-90's?? Is it me?

ps2... animations are great btw. The check swing animiation is good too.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 04:54 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A yankee fan must've made this game... the character playing kevin millar looks RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SI Baseballman
02-23-05, 04:56 PM
Definately great. It took me awhile to get adjusted to the controls since I didn't play the 2004 one. I ended up giving up a leadoff homer to Womack using Pedro.

I got into a nice pitching duel with Glavine and Clemens in another game and won in the bottom of the 9th.

I tried the mini-games as well. I like the hitters mini-game, but the pitching mini-game seems almost impossible.

Also used owner mode for a little bit and quickly ended up in the red.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 04:57 PM
ps2... animations are great btw. The check swing animiation is good too.

Well, if the mood should hit you and you feel like spending more money on video game crap, you should upgrade to an xbox. I owned PS2 and had mvp for it. Last year I bought an xbox and purchased MVP again - wow, what a difference. Graphics are MUCH sharper and crisp.

Also, another complient to the game - the fielding is fantastic. Last year's was so clunky I would usually let the AI field.

26 and counting
02-23-05, 05:03 PM

A yankee fan must've made this game... the character playing kevin millar looks RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's black, but he's got BLONDE hair! What's that all about?

A Yankee fan couldn't have made the game though. They've got Classic Fenway Park, but not Classic Yankee Stadium. :mad:

I'm very happy with the gameplay though, which is the most important thing. Also, the few stadiums that I've seen are more detailed than last year. The Create-A-Ballpark didn't have as many options as I would like though.

Soriambi
02-23-05, 05:04 PM
He's black, but he's got BLONDE hair! What's that all about?

A Yankee fan couldn't have made the game though. They've got Classic Fenway Park, but not Classic Yankee Stadium. :mad:

I'm very happy with the gameplay though, which is the most important thing. Also, the few stadiums that I've seen are more detailed than last year. The Create-A-Ballpark didn't have as many options as I would like though.

Could Classic YS be locked? (I haven't gotten the game yet, but I'm sure there are locked prizes or whatever.) :)

26 and counting
02-23-05, 05:05 PM
This game is amazing.

Struck out the side in the top of the first with RJ... hopefully what will happen on opening night.

In my first game of the season I struck out 12 with RJ and threw a 4-hit shutout. Hopefully he does that on the real opening day.

Soriambi
02-23-05, 05:06 PM
In my first game of the season I struck out 12 with RJ and threw a 4-hit shutout. Hopefully he does that on the real opening day.

Only 12 Ks and 4 whole hits? That would be a dissapointment with all the hype. ;) Anyone throw a 1 hitter with 16 or 17 Ks with him yet? :D

Moose35
02-23-05, 05:19 PM

Well I finished my first game. RJ went 8 and struck out 15. I really suck for some reason, because the final score was 1-0. I won with a Giambi walk off in the 11th. (imagine that happening opening day.)

Hitting seems a lot harder this year. The difficulty was only Pro, too. On Pro in last years version I would put atleast 15-20 every game.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-23-05, 06:19 PM
I didn't know it came out until I logged on...I'm going out to get it now...peace :badass: :badass: :badass:

chanman7483
02-23-05, 06:26 PM
Beat the Sox 4-3. I was up 3-2 in the 7th, and brought Quantrill in... who prompty gave up the lead then gave up the go ahead run...Then I came back and tied it.

We went to extra innings, and in the 11th or so, first pitch Matsui saw from Timlin, yanked to right center, 421 foot walk off. NIIICE :)

yanksrule51
02-23-05, 06:28 PM
Oh man, what a game. I only played once. 5-2 against the Tigers. Giambi hit a homer to right, signature home run swing and everything. :clap: :clap: The graphics are head and shoulders better than last year. Yankee Stadium is beautiful. The player faces are spot on. Hitting is very very tight too. Much more realistic.

I can't wait to get about 10 more games in.

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 06:28 PM
Beat the Sox 4-3. I was up 3-2 in the 7th, and brought Quantrill in... who prompty gave up the lead then gave up the go ahead run...Then I came back and tied it.

We went to extra innings, and in the 11th or so, first pitch Matsui saw from Timlin, yanked to right center, 421 foot walk off. NIIICE :)

Okay, I am going to have to get to the store tonight. I can't wait for tomorrow. I've decided to suffer through tomorrow and make Friday a PS2 day.

yanksrule51
02-23-05, 06:29 PM

I know! They let you edit him but the least they could do is meet you halfway. :D

Shaun4013
02-23-05, 06:32 PM
so its been released early??!!

yanksrule51
02-23-05, 06:33 PM
so its been released early??!!
Yep, pushed up a week. Go....buy....now.

Snatch Catch
02-23-05, 06:40 PM

Its just you.

Here the scouting report from ESPN.com:

Velocity no longer is the thing with Pavano, who is far wiser after several surgeries on his throwing arm. He features a 91-94 MPH fastball that he can locate to all four quadrants of the strike zone. He complements the fastball with a tight slider and has a split and a change to keep lefties honest.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 06:40 PM
i noticed runners also get down the line alot faster now... and that you can't pull the whole "run to your right and make a reaching grab for a ground ball, then stop, change direction, and throw the ball when you've steadied yourself" move that was so convenient in 2004.

Doh.

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 06:49 PM
Its just you.

Here the scouting report from ESPN.com:

Thanks, Snatchie. Somehow even with my EI package on cable last year I managed to miss a great many Marlins games. Imagine that...

Edit - Gee...good thing the Red Sox didn't want Pavano anyway, huh? ;)

Steph19
02-23-05, 09:00 PM
I'm extremely satisfied with this game so far. I just wish I was better at hitting. I'm fine at pitching... but lost 1-0 in my first game, in extra innings. I had like 4 hits the whole time, nothing close to a homerun. All on Pro! Geez, I suck.

I'm also checkin' stuff on PinstripesPlus and editting lots of names in the Yankees minor league system to make it more realistic! Got Cano, Duncan, Hughes and Wang half-done so far.

BillBuckner
02-23-05, 10:25 PM
OK everyone heres the story.

Game 1- I beat my roomate (who was the Phillies) with the Yankees 2-0. Pavano pitched 7 shut out innings, Mo closed.

Game 2- I beat the computer (who was the Braves) 2-0. Wright pitched 8 scoreless innings with 11 K's, Mo closed.

Game 3- Finally played the Blowsox at Fenway, RJ vs Schilling. Lost 4-1. F*CKING TONY WOMACK BLEW THE GAME FOR ME. Dropped a double play ball A-Rod started beautifully, would have ended the inning, but Belhorn hit a 3 run homer next at bat. Now I'm screwed with my History exam tomorrow. My life sucks.

BillBuckner
02-23-05, 10:27 PM
I'm extremely satisfied with this game so far. I just wish I was better at hitting. I'm fine at pitching... but lost 1-0 in my first game, in extra innings. I had like 4 hits the whole time, nothing close to a homerun. All on Pro! Geez, I suck.

I'm also checkin' stuff on PinstripesPlus and editting lots of names in the Yankees minor league system to make it more realistic! Got Cano, Duncan, Hughes and Wang half-done so far.

How do you get that info? I was wondering why Cano wasnt in the minors.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 10:36 PM
Anyone having trouble hitting for power w/ ARod and Sheff?

Matsui is an absolute beast in this game...

BillBuckner
02-23-05, 10:38 PM

I think ARod and Sheff's hitting attributes in that game are ludacris.

Soriambi
02-23-05, 10:39 PM

Are you able to edit abilities in the game if you disagree with something?

BronxByTheBay
02-23-05, 10:57 PM

Nope. They seem fine.

chanman7483
02-23-05, 11:07 PM
i'm just not getting good balls to hit i guess.. I hit upper deck jobs w/ Bernie and Jorge... time for arod and sheff to start doing the same...

Womack's kinda nasty in the game too..

YankeePride1967
02-23-05, 11:18 PM
Okay, I got it and have played 2 games and started a third. Game 1 got off to a not-so good play, Damon hit a fly ball to center, Bernie under it and he drops the ball! 2 base error. Sox end up winning 3-2. Game 2, Moose was in control and Yanks won 5-1. Game 3 I stopped as on the 3rd pitch of the game, Pavano went down with an injury and was out for 45 days. Sorry, not going to do that!

Evil Empire
02-23-05, 11:22 PM
GREAT GAME! :clap: :clap:

For those who play the PC Version, do you use the EA controller and is it worth getting?

Steph19
02-23-05, 11:40 PM
How do you get that info? I was wondering why Cano wasnt in the minors.

I don't think there are any Create-a-player FAQs yet, so I'm just editting appearance and what little I can decipher from scouting reports. There's one guy, a shortstop, I think in AA... He's got the same birthday as Marcos Vechionacci and plays the same position. I'm wondering if that's another one of those Bonds/Millar-type switches.

Soriambi
02-23-05, 11:45 PM
I don't think there are any Create-a-player FAQs yet, so I'm just editting appearance and what little I can decipher from scouting reports. There's one guy, a shortstop, I think in AA... He's got the same birthday as Marcos Vechionacci and plays the same position. I'm wondering if that's another one of those Bonds/Millar-type switches.

I believe Vechionacci is a real player in our system. :)

Edit: Just looked it up. Played 19 games for Staten Island last year. :)

Steph19
02-24-05, 12:06 AM
I believe Vechionacci is a real player in our system. :)

Edit: Just looked it up. Played 19 games for Staten Island last year. :)

Yes, he is. I meant that I thought they replaced him with a fake player that was meant to be him... But, looks like I was wrong anyway. Someone posted up a list of all the real prospects with fake names here: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=79351

EDIT: Oops, guess I was right. Could've sworn that said Robinson Cano.

Moose35
02-24-05, 05:56 AM

I am. So far through 4 games on All-Star Womack has 4 homers and Sheff/Arod have none. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything.

YankeePride1967
02-24-05, 08:17 AM
I am. So far through 4 games on All-Star Womack has 4 homers and Sheff/Arod have none. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything.
Yes, Womack hit 2 in one game for me.

Big_E
02-24-05, 08:21 AM
What are the unlockables this year? Same as last year -- players, uniforms and stadiums?

yanksrule51
02-24-05, 08:29 AM
One of the coolest new additions to this year's game is the foul tips. It can make for some great AB's.

I'm going to spend some time with the hitting practice mode. The hitting to me is much different this year. Much better I think but it will take some practice. What's also throwing me off, is breaking balls seem much crisper this year. I'm getting my ass kicked on breaking pitches.

BillBuckner
02-24-05, 09:54 AM

I'm wondering if one of those Smallenberg (or whatever) guys is Cano. Also there is this LF on AAA, I forget his name, but he has the same age and build as Shane Spencer. I have to look into it more.

Big_E
02-24-05, 10:09 AM
I'm wondering if one of those Smallenberg (or whatever) guys is Cano. Also there is this LF on AAA, I forget his name, but he has the same age and build as Shane Spencer. I have to look into it more.

Would make sense, since Spencer is ineligible to be in the game...

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-24-05, 10:28 AM
I found a site were I can buy an American Xbox and the game, but they won't have the game before March 2nd. (now only available for PC)
With priority shipping I could have it Friday next week.
Can't wait, cant wait, can't wait, can't wait!

The only thing I have planned for next weekend is buying my first car.
That's the only thing I will allow myself to do besides playing MVP2005 next weekend.
I'm living at the wrong continent :enraged:

Does anyone know where a European can buy an Amercian Xbox and MVP2005? Amazon.com only ships within the United States, as do some other retailers I found through Yahoo.
Every day counts!

DaBomber25
02-24-05, 10:50 AM
Just picked mine up. Probably won't get to play til around 9. Gotta work-out, eat, watch the OC and then I should be ready to go. :)

Saxmania
02-24-05, 10:51 AM
The top 100 minor league prospects according to Baseball America are apparently all in the game, you just need to edit their names. Operation Sports' MVP forum lists all 100 (you can identify them by birthday and weight, apparently), so you don't have to create Duncan, Cano, etc. from scratch.

But, of course, they're not going to sell this game in the UK. Bas%$&%tards.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

yanksrule69
02-24-05, 10:57 AM
Just picked mine up. Probably won't get to play til around 9. Gotta work-out, eat, watch the OC and then I should be ready to go. :)

Thanks for the update and for your schedule. My day is now complete.

DaBomber25
02-24-05, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the update and for your schedule. My day is now complete.

Listen, I've got a 6-pack of whoop ass on ice with your name on it. Keep it up.

yanksrule69
02-24-05, 11:06 AM
Listen, I've got a 6-pack of whoop ass on ice with your name on it.When exactly will you have the time to unleash it? Your day seems pretty filled up especially now that you just bought MVP2005 (the topic of this thread).

DaBomber25
02-24-05, 11:31 AM
When exactly will you have the time to unleash it? Your day seems pretty filled up especially now that you just bought MVP2005 (the topic of this thread).

I figure there's probably 5 to 6 commercials during the OC, I'll "unleash" a can of whoop ass on you during each commercial break.

And back to the TOPIC, how is the HR Derby?

chanman7483
02-24-05, 11:48 AM
I hate the HR derby. Last year it was bad because it was at some weird angle and zoomed out.. this year, it's not close enough. You can't see sh*t. Very annoying. I wish you could just have a one player HR derby... like how it is in real life.

Also, what's annoying me is during day games, the shadow that is cast on the ball. The ball turns grey and sometimes you can barely seee it. Ugh.

StatenIslandYankee
02-24-05, 12:52 PM
I have the game for Xbox and I have Xbox Live, if you care to play PM me your gamer tag.

BrooklynBotz
02-24-05, 01:45 PM
i'm so sick of work today, i just want to go home and play a few more games. plus, i'm dead tired from playing so late last night. i can feel a new addiction coming on.

Darth_Takeo
02-24-05, 01:49 PM
Anyone play/get MLB 2K5? I bought both MVP '05 and 2k5. Both are good IMO... I'd give the edge to MVP since I'm more into it but MLB 2K5 stepped it up from last year.

Big_E
02-24-05, 01:51 PM
What are the unlockables this year? Same as last year -- players, uniforms and stadiums?

Anybody???

chanman7483
02-24-05, 02:02 PM
Anyone play/get MLB 2K5? I bought both MVP '05 and 2k5. Both are good IMO... I'd give the edge to MVP since I'm more into it but MLB 2K5 stepped it up from last year.

Why'd you get both?

Big E - -i don't know what the unlockables are.. i'm not too concerned about it either.. I don't like things that take away from the realism of the game. Some people will stick ruth, mantle, gehrig, etc into their lineup with all the throwback pitchers... that's not what i like to do though.

BillBuckner
02-24-05, 02:04 PM
Anyone else unlock Mickey Manle yet? It just made my life.

Big_E
02-24-05, 02:18 PM
Why'd you get both?

Big E - -i don't know what the unlockables are.. i'm not too concerned about it either.. I don't like things that take away from the realism of the game. Some people will stick ruth, mantle, gehrig, etc into their lineup with all the throwback pitchers... that's not what i like to do though.

Would be nice to know if they took peoples suggestions and added unlockable historical teams, not just uniforms and stadiums. I'd love to be able to manage the '27 Yankees against the '61 Yankees or the '86 Mets, etc...

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-24-05, 02:31 PM
i noticed runners also get down the line alot faster now... and that you can't pull the whole "run to your right and make a reaching grab for a ground ball, then stop, change direction, and throw the ball when you've steadied yourself" move that was so convenient in 2004.

Doh.

That can be asjusted each game, go under the game tuning option before the game starts or during the game, you can adjust everything from the speed to the pitch velocity.

ZYanksRule
02-24-05, 02:34 PM
I preordered the game from amazon, and they still haven't shipped it yet :( AAAHHHH

Soriambi
02-24-05, 03:03 PM
Would be nice to know if they took peoples suggestions and added unlockable historical teams, not just uniforms and stadiums. I'd love to be able to manage the '27 Yankees against the '61 Yankees or the '86 Mets, etc...

Games with historic teams like Madden bug me somewhat (the historic teams parts, anyway), because it's just numbers, no names, and I think that takes away from it somewhat, with announcers saying "the running back" or "number 28," or "The right fielder," or "Number 9" or something. It just takes away from it a bit for me. I know we all know who the people are, but it just bothers me a bit.

As for unlockables, I'm going to get the game in a few minutes, but I've been told that the biggest addition players-wise is Mickey Mantle.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-24-05, 03:48 PM
I preordered the game from amazon, and they still haven't shipped it yet :( AAAHHHH

Do you save money doing it that way? If not don't bother next year, they always have the games in stock, or if anything just put down a deposit and the game stores hold it for you.

ZYanksRule
02-24-05, 04:00 PM
Do you save money doing it that way? If not don't bother next year, they always have the games in stock, or if anything just put down a deposit and the game stores hold it for you.

Well, I had a gift card for amazon, plus Jim got a donaton, without me having to pay a dime. Plus I'm in college, so getting something live is a little harder, freshman can't have cars....

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-24-05, 04:07 PM
But, of course, they're not going to sell this game in the UK. Bas%$&%tards.

Last year I bought the PC version at www.dvdboxoffice.com
A Canadian site.
When you'll buy it for a PS or Xbox, make sure you have an American one.

Evil Empire
02-24-05, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have it for PC and want to play right now?

VFBundy
02-24-05, 06:41 PM
I just got it for XBox. Does anyone else notice that the grass is a little bit weird? It sort of moves whenever there is movement on the field---it's hard to explain. It flickers in and out---it's sort of annoying. I wish there was a way to tone this down a bit. I wonder if I could adjust it using the TV, but it IS the exact same TV I used on 2004 MVP Baseball.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you noticed this. It's almost like there's TOO much detail on thr grass.

Darth_Takeo
02-24-05, 06:53 PM
Why'd you get both?

Why not? One is $20 bucks, the other is $30. I'm used to paying $50 per game so looked like a nice deal to me.

Evil Empire
02-24-05, 07:40 PM
Why not? One is $20 bucks, the other is $30. I'm used to paying $50 per game so looked like a nice deal to me.
That was my friends rationale as well. I don't see my self playing two games thats why I didn't do that.

Evil Empire
02-24-05, 07:40 PM
I just got it for XBox. Does anyone else notice that the grass is a little bit weird? It sort of moves whenever there is movement on the field---it's hard to explain. It flickers in and out---it's sort of annoying. I wish there was a way to tone this down a bit. I wonder if I could adjust it using the TV, but it IS the exact same TV I used on 2004 MVP Baseball.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you noticed this. It's almost like there's TOO much detail on thr grass.

Yea I noticed the same thing on the comp. Oh well...

DaBomber25
02-24-05, 07:59 PM
Love the game. It's just making me extremely anxious for the season.

Yanks 2, Sox 0

Unit had 8 innings pitched, 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 bb's, 10 strikeouts and Mo closed it.

chanman7483
02-24-05, 08:08 PM
Love the game. It's just making me extremely anxious for the season.

Yanks 2, Sox 0

Unit had 8 innings pitched, 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 bb's, 10 strikeouts and Mo closed it.

What's really getting me excited is the sox / yanks game on yankees classic right now... the halsey game.

Epy7280
02-24-05, 08:10 PM
Does anyone have it for PC and want to play right now?

my name on ea sports is sori7280 ... what is yours?

Evil Empire
02-24-05, 08:45 PM
my name on ea sports is sori7280 ... what is yours?
:lol: I just saw you I think in the main room, I'm Yanksfan4181

IM me on AIM at the same name if you wanna play

YankeePride1967
02-24-05, 08:55 PM
Okay, this is a bit too funny. First game at Fenway. Jeter and Bernie go down and up comes A-Rod against Boomer. First pitch, right in the small of the back! I guess this game is realistic, they got the animousity in it too!

YankeePride1967
02-24-05, 08:57 PM
That was my friends rationale as well. I don't see my self playing two games thats why I didn't do that.

Before last year, I played ASB (the one with Jeter on it). But reading on heer everyone was raving about MVP. So I got both. Well ASB I think I played a grand total of 5 games on before I sold back that and my MVP 2004 for a total of $6 towards this one. For me, one is enough too.

Shaun4013
02-24-05, 10:12 PM
I just bought it, and I am off to try it now!!

chelloveck
02-24-05, 10:13 PM
Tony Womack lead-off 1st inning HR off Curt Schilling, lol.

BillBuckner
02-24-05, 10:31 PM

Haha you might wanna raise the difficulty level. :lol:

Steph19
02-24-05, 11:27 PM
I got my late start on my Yankees Dynasty just now. Randy and Curt breezing through the first four innings, score 1-0 NYY. Little Johnny Damon bouncer back at the mound, hits Randy's leg and knocks him out in only the forth! In comes Grand Tanyon who was spectacular (3.1 IP, 1 ER, 5 K). Score is 1-1 in the 8th when Matsui gets up and hits my first homerun in a regular game! Lefty glitch being gone is so great. Gordon, then enter Sandman. Few cutters later, we win, 3-1. Player of the game: Tanyon Sturtze!

Great game but I found out later that Johnson will be out for 30 days with a fractured leg, so I'm not so sure I want to save with that. I brought up DePaula to take his spot for a while (wish there was a Tiger Wang in the game).

Anyway, I am loving this game.

I didn't have any leadoff HR with Womack, though. I have el capitn leading off.

Evil Empire
02-25-05, 01:52 AM
Who else has Womack as the #9? :lol:

chanman7483
02-25-05, 02:36 AM
I actually have him leading off... more RBI opportunites for the lineup since he's pretty damn good in the game.

Saxmania
02-25-05, 05:01 AM
Last year I bought the PC version at www.dvdboxoffice.com
A Canadian site.
When you'll buy it for a PS or Xbox, make sure you have an American one.

Just wanted to say that you are so TOTALLY the man (or woman). Found the game for PC (the one I want) - C$55, which is an absolute bargain for me at the current exchange rates. Assuming delivery doesn't cripple me (and I think the site offers it for free!), then I've just found my new favorite online money-sink.

With regards to the American XBox question, I do know a software store in London that sells imported consoles and games, though their selection of titles is limited. They've had American consoles before, so they might be worth a try. Shipment to Amsterdam might be more of an issue, but it can't hurt to ask. Sadly I don't know the name of the store, but it's just off Tottenham Court Road in London. I can do a better search if you want, and get you a number/website.

In short: You rock. Thank you.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-25-05, 05:29 AM
Just wanted to say that you are so TOTALLY the man (or woman).

Glad I could help.

By the way: 'Man' would be the right choice of words here.
I will buy the Xbox and the game at the same site.
Too bad they have the Xbox version of MVP05 not on stock yet.
But with some additional costs they can deliver in two working days.

I hope you have a lot of spare time, 'cause this game is addictive!

DaBomber25
02-25-05, 08:14 AM

SAME THING happened to me. I started a Dynasty, FIRST PITCH from Schilling and TW slams it into the upper deck. But I think my difficulty is just fine. I've won 4-0 and 2-0. Womack is amazing in the game and I can't hit for sh!t with ARod and Sheff.

I think the difficulty is fine for hitting but I think pitching is too easy. I've pitched two full games and allowed 0 runs and 5 total hits. I want to keep the level where its at because hitting is at the perfect level. Any suggestions on how to make the pitching more difficult?

chanman7483
02-25-05, 08:56 AM
I actually dind't notice that much of a difference between pro, all star, and mvp as far as hitting goes. Give it a shot.

By the way, I had the same problem with ARod and Sheff... only yesterday did I really start to make good contact with them. I've been hitting bombs. The best is jumping on an inside breaking ball, and smashing the sh*t out of it. This year, the inside out swing is really effective too.

costanza35
02-25-05, 11:48 AM
so im guessing by what people have posted so far that the lefty glitch is fixed. that is great news.

one class, one exam, and im off to pick this game up. i just spent 10 minutes reading all these posts and gettin myself pumped to buy it. 10 minutes that should have been used to study, oh well ;)

chanman7483
02-25-05, 12:09 PM
You're going to have fun....

I have a blast playing this by myself w/ the computer in dynasty mode. It's so much improved over last year in every sense... I can't wait to see how fun this is playing against people online!!!!!!!

I've just got to get a couple more games in to fully get used to the new subtle things(like the new button for throwing to the cutoff man, etc)

I've turned off the hitter's eye and everything else, as I used to. The hitter's eye is distracting to me because it leaves a little trail, and it throws me off just enough that I can't tell all the time exact location b/c the pitch looks like a freakin comet.

Btw, does anyone else think the lowest part of the strike zone is a little TOO low? It's like trying to hit a ball off your shoe tops.

BronxByTheBay
02-25-05, 12:12 PM
You're going to have fun....

I have a blast playing this by myself w/ the computer in dynasty mode. It's so much improved over last year in every sense... I can't wait to see how fun this is playing against people online!!!!!!!

I've just got to get a couple more games in to fully get used to the new subtle things(like the new button for throwing to the cutoff man, etc)

I've turned off the hitter's eye and everything else, as I used to. The hitter's eye is distracting to me because it leaves a little trail, and it throws me off just enough that I can't tell all the time exact location b/c the pitch looks like a freakin comet.

Btw, does anyone else think the lowest part of the strike zone is a little TOO low? It's like trying to hit a ball off your shoe tops.

I asolutely LOVE the "blown calls" feature. Anything that makes the game more realistic is welcome...thus the reason I have zero use for the "hitter's eye". Horrible feature.

BronxByTheBay
02-25-05, 12:15 PM
By the way, I have no idea why but I find it really cool that Scott Proctor is included on the Yankee roster.

Also, they nailed Brandon Arroyo's weird leg kick. Cool stuff.

pergo36
02-25-05, 12:43 PM
Who is Anthony Friese on the Red Sox? Is it Millar? Sorry if this was brought up already but I saw it last night on my roomate's game and wasn't sure who it was.

chanman7483
02-25-05, 12:46 PM
If it's a skinny black man with a blonde goatee, it's millar :lol:

pergo36
02-25-05, 12:52 PM
why isn't he in the game? he was last year right?

DaBomber25
02-25-05, 12:55 PM
why isn't he in the game? he was last year right?

He wasn't in it last year.

Shaun4013
02-25-05, 01:14 PM
is cano missing or is it just me?

chanman7483
02-25-05, 01:14 PM
I think it's b/c he's not part of the MLBPA? Same with Bonds.

costanza35
02-25-05, 01:16 PM
By the way, I have no idea why but I find it really cool that Scott Proctor is included on the Yankee roster.

in 2004 i created him and started him in AAA. I was at fenway for "the fight", and i remember watching the radar as proctor kept hitting 96/97 mph. so i created him with sick velocity on his fastball and thats about it. glad he's in it this time though.

chanman7483
02-25-05, 01:59 PM
Now if only he could have more than the 97 mph heater.

It was pretty impressive though, looking back on it. The Sox lineup, full of dead fastball hitters, could not catch up to his heat.

BronxByTheBay
02-25-05, 02:16 PM
Now if only he could have more than the 97 mph heater.

I'm not that familiar with Proctor, but I don't think he has anything other than a 97mph heater.

Shaun4013
02-25-05, 02:45 PM
Just finished my first game! Yanks win 5-3 in 10 Innings on a 2 Run Upper Deck Home Run to Left Field By AROD! Pavano with 10K's in 7IP, 3ER.

This game is amazing!

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-25-05, 03:17 PM
This game is above and beyond last years. Awesome game. One question, has anyone tried dowloading the current rosters online for PS2? Can it be done, and do they hook up the minor league rosters along with the majors?

BrooklynBotz
02-25-05, 03:38 PM
Last night Moose pitched a 1 hit no walk complete game against the sox in fenway for me. the one hit was a bill mueller homer in the 6th inning. between last year's game and this one i have thrown about 5 or 6 one hit no walk games but i still haven't thrown a no hitter or perfect game. one day soon though and i have a feeling RJ's going to be the man to do it.

BrooklynBotz
02-25-05, 03:39 PM
is cano missing or is it just me?

the only minor league guys who are in the game are the ones who have played in the majors. until they reach the majors they are not part of the union so they are not in the game.

MisterNovember
02-25-05, 03:58 PM
Last night Moose pitched a 1 hit no walk complete game against the sox in fenway for me. the one hit was a bill mueller homer in the 6th inning. between last year's game and this one i have thrown about 5 or 6 one hit no walk games but i still haven't thrown a no hitter or perfect game. one day soon though and i have a feeling RJ's going to be the man to do it.

The only no-hitter I ever threw was with Matt Morris (of all people) versus the Red Sox. Before that I threw roughly 10,000 one hitters with Moose.

I think that if you're getting close to a no-hitter, the computer definitely makes it harder. A lot of little dink shots turn into infield singles all of a sudden. Anyway, I think you need to just get lucky.

DaBomber25
02-25-05, 04:13 PM
The only no-hitter I ever threw was with Matt Morris (of all people) versus the Red Sox. Before that I threw roughly 10,000 one hitters with Moose.

I think that if you're getting close to a no-hitter, the computer definitely makes it harder. A lot of little dink shots turn into infield singles all of a sudden. Anyway, I think you need to just get lucky.

I took a perfect game through 7 1/3 with Moose and lost it to Big Papi. The stupid announcers jinx you. "And the no hitter is in tact through 6!" "And Mussina has a no-no going into the 8th!"

SHUT IT! :D

costanza35
02-25-05, 04:44 PM
just completed my first full mvp 2005 game... yanks 8, sox 1. took schilling deep 4 times and randy k'd 8 while giving up a solo shot to manny.

they played "tessie" when tino was stepping up to bat in yankee stadium... don't think we'd ever hear that anywhere near the bronx!

i like the gameplay, smoother fielding for sure... gonna get involved with the owner mode at a later time, just wanna get a feel for it right now. Great deal for 30 bucks!

chanman7483
02-25-05, 04:47 PM
Just lost to some scrub online.

I should've known better. For the whole year i had 2004, I would always get burned by 2 seamers thrown inside. It used to be an awesome pitch - - ppl would think the ball was coming inside, then it'd cut back over the inside corner of the plate. But then I started getting burned.

I never learn my lesson. Game winning homerun given up.

Soriambi
02-25-05, 07:54 PM
A couple of questions..I got the game, and I'm not sure what some of the Options mean (the Instruction Manual is basically worthless.)

What are "Cooperstown Effect" and "Fair Trades." Those are the two main options that I couldn't figure out. Thanks. :)

chanman7483
02-25-05, 08:18 PM
Fair trades is if, turned on, you try to trade ARod for Randy Winn. the Computer won't allow it b/c of the differences in ratings, and salary.

If you turn it off, you can make any trade you want(essential to getting the right players on the right team(Magglio, Sosa, Etc)

Epy7280
02-25-05, 08:38 PM
i like the game but the only thing i hate is that you know what is coming to the plate b4 it comes. In mvp 2004 online i had like a 1.whatever era. You couldn't score a run off me ( I used Mussina ). With basically 3 pitches i dominated everyone with location. I Pitched like so many perfect games .. With this game it is impossible. You can basically sit back and wait what is coming. The only way to pitch effective is with location ... hope that he is trying to pull the ball awhile you pitch away. thou i pitched some 1 hitters and 2 hitters already it is still annoying that you know what is coming. Granted I am scoring alot more ... i am scoring like 5-7 runs a game( in 2004 i normally i would score 2-3 runs ... alot of times i would only score 1 .. but when the other person can't hit you 1 run is enough)

anyway

what is everyones EA sports online name?

chanman7483
02-25-05, 08:45 PM
chanmizannnn ... or it might have 5 n's. one or the other.

OneilFan21
02-25-05, 08:59 PM
Someone needs to create a MVP 2005 custom league for NYYFans. I wold definetely sign up.

chanman7483
02-25-05, 10:25 PM
It'd involve a LOT of planning.. setting up the games and such.

But it could be done. anyone up for this? I was in one last year.. and it kind of lost momentum.. but definetly fun while it lasted.

Soriambi
02-25-05, 10:26 PM
Fair trades is if, turned on, you try to trade ARod for Randy Winn. the Computer won't allow it b/c of the differences in ratings, and salary.

If you turn it off, you can make any trade you want(essential to getting the right players on the right team(Magglio, Sosa, Etc)

Thanks..no idea on Cooperstown Effect? :)

yanksrule51
02-25-05, 11:59 PM
Thanks..no idea on Cooperstown Effect? :)

Cooperstown Effect I think is when you play a game in a retro stadium it will make the game look like a grainy washed out scrathced up old video. To get the effect of watching old game footage.

Soriambi
02-26-05, 12:00 AM
Cooperstown Effect I think is when you play a game in a retro stadium it will make the game look like a grainy washed out scrathced up old video. To get the effect of watching old game footage.

I figured it had something to do with that, but I had it on and it wasn't doing that-I never thought of the fact that it might only be in old stadiums. Thanks. :)

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-26-05, 08:51 AM
just completed my first full mvp 2005 game... yanks 8, sox 1. took schilling deep 4 times and randy k'd 8 while giving up a solo shot to manny.

they played "tessie" when tino was stepping up to bat in yankee stadium... don't think we'd ever hear that anywhere near the bronx!

i like the gameplay, smoother fielding for sure... gonna get involved with the owner mode at a later time, just wanna get a feel for it right now. Great deal for 30 bucks!

This game was made with Sox fans in mind, and to needle Yankee fans, no question about it. I didn't even know about that song "tessie" until I played this game, and in the intro, they show clips of the Sox presumably winning game 7, with Torre dejected in the dugout. They also show a motion capture of Manny celebrating after game 7... &po'd& ...wtf!

chanman7483
02-26-05, 09:25 AM
Well, they DID win the world series...

Shaun4013
02-26-05, 11:08 AM
It'd involve a LOT of planning.. setting up the games and such.

But it could be done. anyone up for this? I was in one last year.. and it kind of lost momentum.. but definetly fun while it lasted.

id be down.

Epy7280
02-26-05, 11:21 AM
well i know it is a red sox song but i like that song "tessie" lol

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-26-05, 12:53 PM
Well, they DID win the world series...

But come on. Why not show Manny celebrating in St. Louis, where they actually won the WS, instead of Yankee Stadium? Also, why the screen shots in the game intro of the Sox kicking our asses and a dejected Yankee bench? Why not just have RJ face off against Manny, and Manny drills one or something? Why do they have to remind us Yankee fans? As far as "tessie" goes... :barf: but at least they don't mention the Yanks in the lyrics.

BronxByTheBay
02-26-05, 01:26 PM
Just a question - anyone else having problems stealing? I haven't been successful once, which wouldn't bother me that much except Tony Womack was gunned down by MIKE PIAZZA. By a lot.

THAT screams glitch.

BillBuckner
02-26-05, 01:45 PM
My question is where the f**k was the Marlins championship song in last years game? I'm so sick of the whole damn sports world on the stupid Blowsox bandwagon.

Sam2448
02-26-05, 02:00 PM
I got the game two days ago. I played my first game on rookie to get used to it. The good was that I won 5-0. Even sweeter was that I threw a perfect game with RJ fanning 19 :D. Game 2, Moose threw 7 1 run innings, fanning 7, playing on pro, in a win. In the series finale, Carl Pavano threw a complete game shutout, scattering 7 hits and striking out 12. I simmed the Baltimore series and lost 2 out of 3, with both Wright and RJ getting shelled. Playing against Boston again, Moose struggled in game 1, giving up 4 runs in 6 innings, but got the win. In game 2, I had a 2-0 in the eighth inning, with Carl Pavano on the mound with a perfect game. Of course he gave up a few hits that inning and blew the game. I won in the 14th inning. Keith Foulke threw 5 no-hit innings against me, but I finally got to him in the sixth. The next game was very similar. I gave up 4 runs in 6 innings with Wright, then rallied back from a 4-1 deficit, only to lose when Sheff dropped a fly ball in the 15th inning. I then simmed and lost again to Baltimore. The games great so far, it's just very difficult to hit, even with the hitter's eye on.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-26-05, 02:31 PM
Just a question - anyone else having problems stealing? I haven't been successful once, which wouldn't bother me that much except Tony Womack was gunned down by MIKE PIAZZA. By a lot.

THAT screams glitch.

I stole a base with Jeter, and got caught with Womack the last game I played, vs the O's and Javy Lopez. I don't know if it's a glitch...try increasing the runners speed in the game tuning option.

chanman7483
02-26-05, 03:04 PM
Make sure you get a good lead. And if the pitcher throws a fastball, you're pretty much dead. The runner speed is good. I noticed that the runners don't get good breaks though...

anyoneseenthebridge
02-26-05, 08:55 PM
I just got this game today and I love it. It's the first non-PC game that I've bought since SNES & Genesis :)

One question: in the owner mode when you're doing a simulation for a stretch of games (go to schedule and click a date), can you make it automatically fix rosters when there's an injury? That would let me get up and do other things while my games are being played.

Evil Empire
02-26-05, 09:06 PM
I just got this game today and I love it. It's the first non-PC game that I've bought since SNES & Genesis :)

One question: in the owner mode when you're doing a simulation for a stretch of games (go to schedule and click a date), can you make it automatically fix rosters when there's an injury? That would let me get up and do other things while my games are being played.
Yeah I think it will do it automatically.