View Full Version : MVP Baseball 2005

Pages : 1 [2]

anyoneseenthebridge
02-26-05, 09:42 PM
Do you have to set an option somewhere?

Evil Empire
02-26-05, 09:43 PM
Do you have to set an option somewhere?
Well I'm basing this on 2004, but when you Sim a season, if some one gets injured it asks you what to do, and when you return it asks your what to do with them again. It might be different this year, though I don't see why they would change that of all things.

anyoneseenthebridge
02-26-05, 09:58 PM
Right, that's how 2005 is, but is there an option to make it automatically choose for you? Otherwise you have to sit at the TV while the season goes on just to click yes or no for fixing roster. I think there should be an option for it to always fix rosters automatically. :dunno:

YankeePride1967
02-26-05, 10:34 PM
Right, that's how 2005 is, but is there an option to make it automatically choose for you? Otherwise you have to sit at the TV while the season goes on just to click yes or no for fixing roster. I think there should be an option for it to always fix rosters automatically. :dunno:

When I feel like playing a season fast and I manage the games, I manage game-by-game. When an injury occurs (or a suspension) it gives you the option to fix it manually or automatically. It gives you the same option when that player is eligible to come back.

anyoneseenthebridge
02-26-05, 11:52 PM
When I feel like playing a season fast and I manage the games, I manage game-by-game. When an injury occurs (or a suspension) it gives you the option to fix it manually or automatically. It gives you the same option when that player is eligible to come back.

But the screen that pops up to let you choose manual or automatic should automatically choose for you if you want it to.

VFBundy
02-27-05, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know what the sliders "PITCHING MG DIFFICULTY" and "VARIABLE STUFF" are for?

BoSox37
02-27-05, 08:31 AM
But come on. Why not show Manny celebrating in St. Louis, where they actually won the WS, instead of Yankee Stadium? Also, why the screen shots in the game intro of the Sox kicking our asses and a dejected Yankee bench? Why not just have RJ face off against Manny, and Manny drills one or something? Why do they have to remind us Yankee fans? As far as "tessie" goes... :barf: but at least they don't mention the Yanks in the lyrics.

They show a different intro every time. I have seen the game 7 one, but also the Sox celebrating in St. louis, and RJ celebrating his perfecto vs. Atlanta.

anyoneseenthebridge
02-27-05, 12:15 PM
But the screen that pops up to let you choose manual or automatic should automatically choose for you if you want it to.

Well a quick fix would be to turn injuries off.

bnorris85
02-27-05, 04:10 PM
hahahah tessie is in it!!

BillBuckner
02-27-05, 04:32 PM
hahahah tessie is in it!!

I didnt even hear of that stupid song until I bought the game.

Soriambi
02-27-05, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know what the sliders "PITCHING MG DIFFICULTY" and "VARIABLE STUFF" are for?

My guess would be Variable Stuff would mean pitchers "have it" some days, and "don't have it" on others.

BronxByTheBay
02-27-05, 06:32 PM
My guess would be Variable Stuff would mean pitchers "have it" some days, and "don't have it" on others.

Gotta be. I don't know if you've noticed this, but some days RJ's fastball tops out at 99 and others at 96. Also, sometimes I use his slider as his strikeout pitch - some games batters don't flinch.

THAT is very, very cool.

Sigh...I'm gonna miss MVP Baseball next year....just imagine what an IMPROVED version of the current game would look like.

Soriambi
02-27-05, 06:36 PM
I just threw 8 and 2/3 of no-hit ball with Mussina with the lone blemish being an error on Jeter in the 5th, and then, with a 1-2 count on Alex Sanchez in the top of the 9th, I just missed the outside corner, then he fouled off a tough knuckle-curve, then grounded a knucklecurve out of the zone up the middle for a hit. :mad: &po'd&

BronxByTheBay
02-27-05, 06:47 PM
I just threw 8 and 2/3 of no-hit ball with Mussina with the lone blemish being an error on Jeter in the 5th, and then, with a 1-2 count on Alex Sanchez in the top of the 9th, I just missed the outside corner, then he fouled off a tough knuckle-curve, then grounded a knucklecurve out of the zone up the middle for a hit. :mad: &po'd&

Poor Moose...even in video games he can't seal the deal on a no no.

ZYanksRule
02-27-05, 07:27 PM
I just checked amazon, my game is being PREPARED FOR SHIPMENT!!!!! It's comin, boys!!!!!!

Soriambi
02-27-05, 07:28 PM
Poor Moose...even in video games he can't seal the deal on a no no.

I know-it was like a bad flashback in video game form. :(

Epy7280
02-27-05, 07:32 PM
throwing a perfect game against the computer is easy lol. Just keep the ball low and on a 0-2 or 1-2 throw a ball that looks like strike and the computer always swings.

thestupidpunk
02-28-05, 12:26 AM
Just a question - anyone else having problems stealing? I haven't been successful once, which wouldn't bother me that much except Tony Womack was gunned down by MIKE PIAZZA. By a lot.

THAT screams glitch.

Bought the game this morning and I noticed that, too.

DaBomber25
02-28-05, 08:52 AM
Well, time to up the difficulty. I've played on Pro for the first 5 games and I haven't allowed a run yet.

In my last game I won 10-0 on a 1-hitter by Brown. I hit 8 HR's with 4 coming from Posada alone.

Not realistic.

Darth_Takeo
02-28-05, 09:55 AM
Well, time to up the difficulty. I've played on Pro for the first 5 games and I haven't allowed a run yet.

In my last game I won 10-0 on a 1-hitter by Brown. I hit 8 HR's with 4 coming from Posada alone.

Not realistic.
Pro difficulty is definitely way too easy...

I got Torre tossed in a Pavano vs Clement matchup. I didn't realize you lost all manager control after that! :eek: Luckily the cpu does make appropriate substitutions cuz for a second I thought Carl's arm was going to fall off... I won 3-2, Mo saving the day. :D

chanman7483
02-28-05, 11:21 AM

Not realistic.

Easy solution: Switch to all star or MVP

DaBomber25
02-28-05, 11:50 AM
Easy solution: Switch to all star or MVP

Umm, yeah, kinda what I meant by "time to up the difficulty".

chanman7483
02-28-05, 11:58 AM
Missed that part... sorry.

Anyways, I think the allstar and MVP levels are really improved since last year's version. I rememeber last year's MVP mode, if you put anything over the plate at all, it would get crushed. Definetly a lot more realistic this year.

KissTheRings
02-28-05, 03:03 PM
I know there's a thread about MLB 2K5 but no one has compared the two games. I have been playing the mvp series for the past three years but the 2k5 game looks pretty good. It has new pitching and hitting features. Has anyone played both games and can offer an opinion on which is better?

Darth_Takeo
02-28-05, 04:28 PM
I know there's a thread about MLB 2K5 but no one has compared the two games. I have been playing the mvp series for the past three years but the 2k5 game looks pretty good. It has new pitching and hitting features. Has anyone played both games and can offer an opinion on which is better?
I have both... If I have to say straight up better, I'll go with MVP. However, MLB2K5 has it's good points but needs a little more polish.

TannerBoyle
02-28-05, 07:26 PM
I have both... If I have to say straight up better, I'll go with MVP. However, MLB2K5 has it's good points but needs a little more polish.

I think the graphics on 2K5 blow away MVP's and I like the K-Zone pitching a bit better than the meter, but aside from that, MVP does pretty much everything better. I'm going to probably stick with MVP. That's saying something for me, because I am a sucker for the Sega graphics and ESPN presentation.

Xbox Online name is KnuckleSandwich if anyone wants to roll a game on MVP.

maldon
02-28-05, 10:03 PM
Live it up boys. This is the last MVP til the year 2013. Take 2 Entertainment bought out the rights to MLBPA license.

thestupidpunk
02-28-05, 10:11 PM
This is my first year playing MVP and I'm actually impressed compared with the other baseball games I've played (All-Star, Slugfest, ESPN).

My main problem is that MVP's pitching meter is exactly the same as Madden's kicking meter, which I've always had problems with in the more difficult levels. But I'm glad to know that after a couple of days of playing MVP my kicking skills in Madden have improved tremendously.

yankeesAZ
02-28-05, 10:12 PM
While I prefer ESPN 2k5, I'd rather see some competition. Having exclusive deals with leagues is not good for videogamers in the long run. This may be the last year of $20 or $30 sports titles.

maldon
02-28-05, 10:15 PM
While I prefer ESPN 2k5, I'd rather see some competition. Having exclusive deals with leagues is not good for videogamers in the long run. This may be the last year of $20 or $30 sports titles.

It sucks for us MVP fans. I absolutely hate ESPN 2k5.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-01-05, 11:37 AM
Live it up boys. This is the last MVP til the year 2013. Take 2 Entertainment bought out the rights to MLBPA license.

What game do they make? If this is true and their game sucks I'm writing a profanity laced, scathing email to that company.

chanman7483
03-01-05, 11:39 AM
If anything, we can just keep 2005 and just keep updating the roster. I see nothing wrong with this game.

Evil Empire
03-01-05, 11:39 AM
If anything, we can just keep 2005 and just keep updating the roster. I see nothing wrong with this game.
That can get annoying.

YankeePride1967
03-01-05, 11:49 AM
I will hold on to it, but will give the new game a chance too.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-01-05, 12:01 PM

This is unbelievable. How can EA sports lose out to these bums? WTF!

RhodyYanksFan
03-01-05, 12:04 PM
Damn...I had decided against buying MVP 05, but now I have to. Grrrrr

chanman7483
03-01-05, 12:05 PM
Rhody, how come? Why did you decide not to buy it? Did you get ESPN instead?

Darth_Takeo
03-01-05, 01:19 PM
Graphically, I agree 2K5 is better. Better characters, facial maps, etc. On the animations, however, I'd have to pick MVP, since some of the little things in 2K5 seem a bit sluggish, slow and robotic at times. While I, too, am not happy with a market of one game, I think if 2K5 works hard and takes some ideas from MVP, it can be a much better game. They need to quit worrying about mini games like darts and air hockey. I'd rather have a well polished baseball game than a bunch of extras...

maldon
03-01-05, 10:19 PM
What game do they make? If this is true and their game sucks I'm writing a profanity laced, scathing email to that company.

I believe they bought out the company that makes 2k5. Thus you'll be playing that series until 2013.

Any baseball game EA makes would have to use fake players. I doubt that it will ever come to that.

Tristan
03-01-05, 10:32 PM
Technically, there isn't a totally exclusive rights package in baseball. Take Two has exclusive third-party rights, but first party companies can still make games with the MLBPA license, and Nintendo is doing it this year. If EA hooks up with Sony or Microsoft, they could keep making MVP, it just would only be on one system.

maldon
03-01-05, 10:44 PM
Technically, there isn't a totally exclusive rights package in baseball. Take Two has exclusive third-party rights, but first party companies can still make games with the MLBPA license, and Nintendo is doing it this year. If EA hooks up with Sony or Microsoft, they could keep making MVP, it just would only be on one system.

I think there's a provision that disallows them from doing just that.

Darth_Takeo
03-01-05, 11:40 PM
I think there's a provision that disallows them from doing just that.
Never heard of any provisions.. I did hear the loophole was 'teaming up' but if you got somewhere saying otherwise, I'd love to see! :D

DaBomber25
03-02-05, 10:50 AM
OK, this is pissing me off....on Pro I dominate games 15-0 with 1-hitters and on All-Star I lose 8-1 with the Orioles pitching with RJ. :mad:

Okay, how do I work the sliders to make All-Star a little more manageable? If I want the User Batting Contact to be better do the sliders go positive or negative? I know this sounds like a moronic question but I didn't notice a difference when I changed them.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-02-05, 10:56 AM
I'm 12-0 in the game so far..I'm upping the difficulty as it gets easier (I did the same with 2004), I went to Pro after pitching a perfect game with Pavano and in Pro I almost pitched a no-no with Pavano but he got hit with a line-drive and is out for 55 days with a concussion. I'm going to start on All-Star now because in that same game Bubba Crosby and Tino Martinez both had 2 homers, but Tino had 9 RBIs. Crazy.

Darth_Takeo
03-02-05, 11:15 AM
OK, this is pissing me off....on Pro I dominate games 15-0 with 1-hitters and on All-Star I lose 8-1 with the Orioles pitching with RJ. :mad:

Okay, how do I work the sliders to make All-Star a little more manageable? If I want the User Batting Contact to be better do the sliders go positive or negative? I know this sounds like a moronic question but I didn't notice a difference when I changed them.
There's definitely a significant jump in difficulty from Pro to All Star.. Just play a few games and you'll get used to it. My biggest problem is I'm swing-happy. After using some patience, I can actually score. I've always done well pitching but used to lose games 2-0 since I could never generate offense.

DaBomber25
03-02-05, 11:23 AM
There's definitely a significant jump in difficulty from Pro to All Star.. Just play a few games and you'll get used to it. My biggest problem is I'm swing-happy. After using some patience, I can actually score. I've always done well pitching but used to lose games 2-0 since I could never generate offense.

I'm very swing-happy in the game. Very rarely will I see more than 3 pitches (and if that's the case it's usually a 3-pitch strikeout). It's extremely frustrating. Me swinging at everything also allows their starters to go all 9.

chanman7483
03-02-05, 11:24 AM
I found that this year, pitchers throw more balls. It's more realistic. MORE PATIENCE DABOMBER25!!

DaBomber25
03-02-05, 11:37 AM
I found that this year, pitchers throw more balls. It's more realistic. MORE PATIENCE DABOMBER25!!

Unfortunately patience is not my strong suit...in video games or other things. But I'll work on it.

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-05, 11:51 AM
Rhody, how come? Why did you decide not to buy it? Did you get ESPN instead?

I'm just not caught up on my other games. I haven't beaten GTA, and I'm only halfway through my March Madness season. I'll pick it up this weekend though now that it's the last one.

chanman7483
03-02-05, 12:18 PM
I'm just not caught up on my other games. I haven't beaten GTA, and I'm only halfway through my March Madness season. I'll pick it up this weekend though now that it's the last one.

Yeah, poor CJ has been getting neglected of late...

ZYanksRule
03-02-05, 12:26 PM
My package arrived!!! I'm picking it up at 3 after my class, or else my paper won't get done :lol:

Darth_Takeo
03-02-05, 12:44 PM
I traded in GTA... Can't get into it and despite the phenominal reviews, to me its the same game with more bells and whistles each time, fun to play as a novelty... Just how I see it, many many of course love it.

I beat RE4 but still have Metroid Prime 2 and MGS Snake Eater to play but it's been almost all MVP or MLB 2k5.... I also dove back into Ninja Gaiden, that is one tough motherf'ing game, borderline too hard/very challenging...

DontHateOnNumber2
03-02-05, 12:46 PM
I believe they bought out the company that makes 2k5. Thus you'll be playing that series until 2013.

Any baseball game EA makes would have to use fake players. I doubt that it will ever come to that.

I heard that it's the game that bought out the MLB (put year here) franchise. I think 989 Sports is the developer, the new version has Vlad Guerrero on the cover.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-02-05, 12:48 PM
I found that this year, pitchers throw more balls. It's more realistic.

I jumped right into it thinking I could cheat the pitching slider, then realized I threw more balls too. They really tuned up the pitching and hitting systems well, especially for lefty hitters.

ZYanksRule
03-02-05, 05:50 PM
OMG this game is awesome. back to playing now :lol:

NewAmsterdamYankee
03-04-05, 09:05 AM
The good news:
I just received the game.

The bad news:
I don't have my American Xbox yet.
I cancelled my order at my Canadian supplier and ordered a modified Xbox in Holland.
Hope to receive it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Almost there....

DontHateOnNumber2
03-04-05, 02:15 PM
Graphically, I agree 2K5 is better. Better characters, facial maps, etc. On the animations, however, I'd have to pick MVP, since some of the little things in 2K5 seem a bit sluggish, slow and robotic at times. While I, too, am not happy with a market of one game, I think if 2K5 works hard and takes some ideas from MVP, it can be a much better game. They need to quit worrying about mini games like darts and air hockey. I'd rather have a well polished baseball game than a bunch of extras...

On top of all that you listed MLB 2K5 plays a little arcadey, like SlugFest without fighting. Even though my favorite player is on the cover, it wasn't enough to get me to buy it.

Darth_Takeo
03-04-05, 02:27 PM
On top of all that you listed MLB 2K5 plays a little arcadey, like SlugFest without fighting. Even though my favortie player is on the cover, it wasn't enough to get me to buy it.
I'd not go as far as arcadey... Definitely not like Slugfest.. Still if you are only buying one of them, MVP is the way to go, IMO.

Darth_Takeo
03-04-05, 05:57 PM
Womack is a HR machine! :eek:

I hit a granny with him against the 'Jays!

DaBomber25
03-04-05, 06:33 PM
Okay. Help. I've posted this before but it's the same old same old. I DOMINATE on Pro. Completely dominate. Then on All Star even messing with the sliders I get lit up and can't even put the ball in play. It sucks. It's like all or nothing. Dominate or get my ass kicked. Until I come up with a solution I'll stick with winning 15-0 and tossing 1-hitters.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-04-05, 06:39 PM
All star is a major step up. If you leave anything up in the zone it's at least a double off the fence, in one inning vs the O's I gave up 5 home runs...it's tough.

DaBomber25
03-04-05, 06:58 PM
All star is a major step up. If you leave anything up in the zone it's at least a double off the fence, in one inning vs the O's I gave up 5 home runs...it's tough.

That's what sucks, it's an unfair advantage for the player on Pro and unfair advantage for the comp on All-Star.

Right now I'm 5-0 and I'm playing an 0-5 O's team and I can't touch Ponson as the O's light up RJ. F'n frustrating.

Darth_Takeo
03-05-05, 01:00 AM
You think All-Star is bad, try MVP difficulty...

Soriambi
03-05-05, 01:05 AM
That's what sucks, it's an unfair advantage for the player on Pro and unfair advantage for the comp on All-Star.

Right now I'm 5-0 and I'm playing an 0-5 O's team and I can't touch Ponson as the O's light up RJ. F'n frustrating.

You could try adjusting the sliders to your liking. :)

chanman7483
03-05-05, 03:40 AM
One thing that could potentially help everyone make that next step to all star and ultimately MVP is the untimed pitching minigame. You have to hit the spot on the pitching meter perfectly, or it will not go where you want it to. This'll help you hit corners and the like when you're asceding to the higher difficulty levels.

I also know that it's MUCH easier said then done, but take a couple of pitches. This year, a lot of the pitches that I was swinging at the first couple days were high and out of the strike zone, when last year, the same pitch was called a strike. This takes some getting used to. Take some pitches and get acquanited w/ that. Nothing higher than the belt is called a strike anymore. I have noticed some LOW, LOW strikes being called though, which I don't like though.

VFBundy
03-05-05, 07:56 AM
Okay. Help. I've posted this before but it's the same old same old. I DOMINATE on Pro. Completely dominate. Then on All Star even messing with the sliders I get lit up and can't even put the ball in play. It sucks. It's like all or nothing. Dominate or get my ass kicked. Until I come up with a solution I'll stick with winning 15-0 and tossing 1-hitters.

I found the same to be true, but here's how I adjusted the sliders on the All-Star level:

Batting:

USER contact: +25

CPU contact: +25

USER power: -5

CPU power: -5

Pitching:

USER pitch meter difficulty: -30 (Despite it implying a positive number makes it more difficult, it's actually a negative number that makes it more difficult.)

USER pitch accuracy: -30

CPU ball rate: +20

With these adjustments, the games are very competitive, although still on the low-scoring side.

Running:

USER steal delay: -25 (The only chance you'll have at stealing a base.) Also, does anyone else hate how you can't get back to the base on a pick-off attempt by pushing the right rear lever, like how you could in MVP 2004?

CPU steal attempts: +15

Fielding:

USER fielding error rate: +15
CPU fielding error rate: +15
USER throw accuracy: -10
CPU throw accuracy: -10

I think these settings make the fielding much more realistic.

yanksphan
03-05-05, 12:01 PM
Womack is a HR machine! :eek:

I hit a granny with him against the 'Jays!

I just came here to post that! I've been absolutely MASHING with Womack against righties. Especially breaking balls up, and breaking inside. Through 10 games of my dynasty, and Womack leads the team with 12 dingers!!

Meanwhile, I can't get Jeter to hit anything. Last year, anything above the waist was a HR with him.

Clive
03-05-05, 06:40 PM
Woohoo, I just threw a perfect game with Josh Beckett on All-Star! :gulp:

The best part was that the winning run was scored on a walk-off HR by A-Rod. :D

DaBomber25
03-05-05, 07:14 PM
Thanks VFBundy, I'll give that a try. The highest I increased the sliders was +5 so I guess that doesn't make too much of a difference.

26 and counting
03-05-05, 11:25 PM
Is it just me, or is owner mode completely ridiculous? First game of the season in my lame created stadium vs. the Red Sox, ticket prices $50 for lower deck and $25 for upper deck. Yankees draw only 13,000. WTF?

Darth_Takeo
03-06-05, 12:35 AM
One big boo-boo I found in the MLB 2K5 game, one I read about but just experienced, is the tendency for the CPU to throw way too many wild pitches in a game. I was playing on all-star difficulty against the O's and had at least 5 wild pitches, and I think ALL of them were when someone was on base... I do hope Take Two fixes these problems for next season, almost as bad as the lefty glitch from MVP last year...

whalers
03-06-05, 03:42 PM
Why isnt barry bonds in the game?????

chanman7483
03-06-05, 03:55 PM
Is it just me, or is owner mode completely ridiculous? First game of the season in my lame created stadium vs. the Red Sox, ticket prices $50 for lower deck and $25 for upper deck. Yankees draw only 13,000. WTF?

The "create a stadium" feature is definetly a POS. I created it, saw the result and quit. You're better off just doing dynasty...

Evil Empire
03-06-05, 09:29 PM
Why isnt barry bonds in the game?????
He's not in the players union...neither is Kevin Millar.

knickfan23
03-10-05, 06:28 PM
One big boo-boo I found in the MLB 2K5 game, one I read about but just experienced, is the tendency for the CPU to throw way too many wild pitches in a game. I was playing on all-star difficulty against the O's and had at least 5 wild pitches, and I think ALL of them were when someone was on base... I do hope Take Two fixes these problems for next season, almost as bad as the lefty glitch from MVP last year...

I was at Best Buy and had never played 2K5, but since I had my experience from MVP, I thought it would be the same.

I do agree with you on the wild pitches.

I played my first game with the Yankees against the Orioles for 5 innings and won 2-0.

A few minutes later, a guy came to the sofa and wanted to play. He chose the Red Sox and I was salivating at this. My chance for some minor revenge. He used Schilling and drilled Sheff with a fastball in the 2nd inning. I was pissed, and with Ortiz due up first the next inning, I was going to get back at him. I drill him in the ribs with the Unit and I get ejected from the game. What kind of nonsense is that? Pavano has to come in and immediately the bases are loaded. Amazingly, Pavano got out of it and we played on. Suddenly, I had Tino, T-Wo, and JoPo going deep. I won the game 12-0.

Pavano's line after coming in for Unit:

7 IP, 1 run, 3 hits, 1 BB, 5 K's

Not bad for a rookie (wink wink) like myself.

YankeePride1967
03-10-05, 06:48 PM
MVP has one interesting tendency as well. Happened last year and this year as well. I did it as a manager only. It seemed like every 4 or 5th game there would be a triple play. Well I did a few games for this season and already 2 TPs.

lem
03-10-05, 07:23 PM
He's not in the players union...neither is Kevin Millar.

It looks like Damian Miller isn't either, unless the Brewers have a black catcher with the number 86.

expectTHEunexpected
03-10-05, 07:35 PM
I was at Best Buy and had never played 2K5, but since I had my experience from MVP, I thought it would be the same.

I do agree with you on the wild pitches.

I played my first game with the Yankees against the Orioles for 5 innings and won 2-0.

A few minutes later, a guy came to the sofa and wanted to play. He chose the Red Sox and I was salivating at this. My chance for some minor revenge. He used Schilling and drilled Sheff with a fastball in the 2nd inning. I was pissed, and with Ortiz due up first the next inning, I was going to get back at him. I drill him in the ribs with the Unit and I get ejected from the game. What kind of nonsense is that? Pavano has to come in and immediately the bases are loaded. Amazingly, Pavano got out of it and we played on. Suddenly, I had Tino, T-Wo, and JoPo going deep. I won the game 12-0.

:P How'd you win 12-0 if Pavano gave up a ruN?

Irabu's Son
03-10-05, 07:53 PM
I can't bring myself to buy it or any other baseball game. I was an All-Star Baseball guy. So sad it was discontinued :upset:

DaBomber25
03-10-05, 07:55 PM
I won the game 12-0.

Impressive! Pavano gives up a run and you still win 12-0.

IntangiblesRule
03-10-05, 09:26 PM
I bought the game a couple of days ago and I dig it the most. Its much smoother than last year's version.

I played around with the sliders some as well as checking some posts on the OperationSports forum and started my Yankee dynasty. We took 5 of the 6 early games from the Sox and all the games were pretty much up for grabs in the late innings.

I'm having trouble using Mo, I think its because I want to just pound everybody with cutters inside. He's been getting hit pretty hard when I use him, but the rest of the pen has been great.

Womack is a machine in the game. I've had great ABs with the Captain and A-Rod as well. I've struggled mightily with Sheff and Matsui. So far we're 8-2. Gordon blew a game against the Sox and the Orioles got to Mo in extra innings. I keep saying "Okay, this is the last game of the night..." and end up playing 3 more. Just a lot of fun.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-10-05, 09:48 PM
I just came here to post that! I've been absolutely MASHING with Womack against righties. Especially breaking balls up, and breaking inside. Through 10 games of my dynasty, and Womack leads the team with 12 dingers!!

Meanwhile, I can't get Jeter to hit anything. Last year, anything above the waist was a HR with him.

If you're patient with Jeter, he'll hit a homer 1 out of every 3 at bats. It's a lot easier to homer a changeup with him this year. It's great.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-10-05, 09:54 PM
I can't bring myself to buy it or any other baseball game. I was an All-Star Baseball guy. So sad it was discontinued :upset:

I'm so sorry..forgive me for saying this. Rent, or play a friend's MVP Baseball 2005. Make sure playing time is between 1-3 hours ar least. You'll suddenly feel like you can't live without the game..because you won't be able to. This is like recommending drugs..the only harmful side effects of doing this are missing work/school, and neglecting family and all forms of personal hygiene. You'll live, don't worry. :D

knickfan23
03-10-05, 10:32 PM
:P How'd you win 12-0 if Pavano gave up a ruN?

Unreal isnt it.

Typo on the score. 12-1 was the final.

knickfan23
03-10-05, 10:33 PM
Impressive! Pavano gives up a run and you still win 12-0.

Couldnt believe it myself. But the run was lucky anyway.

Irabu's Son
03-11-05, 01:44 AM
I'm so sorry..forgive me for saying this. Rent, or play a friend's MVP Baseball 2005. Make sure playing time is between 1-3 hours ar least. You'll suddenly feel like you can't live without the game..because you won't be able to. This is like recommending drugs..the only harmful side effects of doing this are missing work/school, and neglecting family and all forms of personal hygiene. You'll live, don't worry. :D

Listen, since Jeter is my favorite player, and I love your handle, I'll take your advice and steal my brother's copy. He's 30 and can't stop playing it since he got it the other day. Give me until tomorrow... then I'll post and let you know what I think. But for the record, the players look like cartoons.

Yankeeah
03-11-05, 02:27 AM
All-Star is very difficult to play on. I was playign my game tonight. Game 7, ALCS, Red Sox at Yankees. Carl Pavano is pitching for me against, ugh. Tim Wakefield. He is so hard to hit in this game. It's almost not fun to play against him.

Damon's up, 3rd pitch, slider high and away, and thats where he hit it. 1-0 Sox. Ugh, this doesn't look good. I take a 2-1 lead in the 2nd and hold it that way until the top of the 9th.

Now, for those of you who don't know, if you have a 1 run, or even 2 run lead headed into the final inning on All-Star difficulty, kiss it goodbye. All game, I knew it was coming. Not to mention that I have Manny Ortiz and Trot to face.

Manny gets a hit, Jay Payton pinch runs for him. Ortiz hits a bouncer right back to Mo. I immediatly think of 2001. I throw to Omar Vizquel (my 2nd baseman) and he is no where near the bag, but still catches it and gets the out at 2nd, it was a miracle. Some scrub pinch runs for Ortiz. I strike Trot out. I migth actually hold on! Varitek singles and gets the scrub to 3rd. Up comes Doug Mirabelli. He is a regular for this version of the team as the firstbaseman, and he is so easy to strike out it's not even funny. Even on All-Star. Pitches in the strike zone, in his warm zone, he doesn't even touch it. So naturally i throw a cutter away at the knees, a good 6 inches out of the zone, and of course he hits it up the middle to tie the game. I knew it was coming the second I went up 2-1. Luckily I got out of the inning with no harm done.

Bottom 10, Posada gets a lead off single. He gets picked off. That's right, Keith Foulke picked off Jorge Posada in the bottom of the 10th in Game 7 of the ALCS. Anyway Tino then gets on, 1 on, one out. Then Ruben hits a soft grounder to Mirabelli (he plays first), easy DP, except one thing, Edgar Renteria dropped the ball! Runners at 1st and 2nd, 1 out, Omar Vizquel up. First pitch, a little blooper, Tino never hesitated, either we go to the 11th of to the World Series! It falls in and I won! I couldn't believe it. I was litterally stunnded! But I did it! In the World Series VS the Padres, who swept the Mets.

Also, unlock Babe Ruth and use him the batting mini game. It's so much fun.

OneilFan21
03-11-05, 04:40 AM
this might be off topic but the soundtrack is amazing. They have this one song called "An Honest Mistake" by the Bravery, it's like the most catchy thing I've heard in years, reminds me of New Order.

NewAmsterdamYankee
03-12-05, 10:55 AM
I just played my first game and of course I hit a HR with Womack as well (with 2 men on base in his 3rd at bat). Schilling left the game after 4.1 innings. RJ threw 7.1 inings and then F-Rod and Sturtze ended the game: 5-0. (Pro level)

I switched from MVP2004 on the pc, to MVP2005 on the Xbox.
I bought a modified Xbox so I could plug my Xbox into the European electricity network and play the American baseball game.
I was addicted to MVP2004 and will be to the 2005 version, especially as I now can play it at my regular big screen tv instead of my 15" monitor.

I like the new pitching meter even better than the old one. With the old one I aimed more at the borders of the green part, and now I have a new aiming point with the little green zone in the middle. Pitching with RJ makes it a bit easier as well. Within 5 minutes I will experience how it will be pitching with Moose.

Somehow I felt like hitting is a bit easier than last year, but this is just after one game played. This could also have to do with the Xbox.

Is it me or is the soundtrack made for white college kids?

DaBomber25
03-12-05, 11:01 AM
Is it me or is the soundtrack made for white college kids?

Austrian middle-schoolers I think.

26 and counting
03-12-05, 11:26 AM
MVP has one interesting tendency as well. Happened last year and this year as well. I did it as a manager only. It seemed like every 4 or 5th game there would be a triple play. Well I did a few games for this season and already 2 TPs.
I've never seen a triple play, and I play for at least an hour each day.

BTW, I don't like the soundtrack at all. "Tessie" is the worst song ever.

YankeePride1967
03-12-05, 11:52 AM
I've never seen a triple play, and I play for at least an hour each day.

BTW, I don't like the soundtrack at all. "Tessie" is the worst song ever.

This isn't playing, it's when you do it on manager mode.

IntangiblesRule
03-12-05, 12:59 PM
like the new pitching meter even better than the old one. With the old one I aimed more at the borders of the green part, and now I have a new aiming point with the little green zone in the middle. Pitching with RJ makes it a bit easier as well. Within 5 minutes I will experience how it will be pitching with Moose.

The knuckle curve is just filthy, I've given up one run with Moose in 3 starts. I noticed pitchers with a dominating offspeed pitch are very tough to hit in this game.

lem
03-12-05, 01:11 PM
This isn't playing, it's when you do it on manager mode.

Yeah, I noticed that last year too, but I haven't used manager mode extensively this year. Also, whenever someone grounded out to end an inning, if there was a runner on third their run would count. I don't know if that's been fixed yet.

Darth_Takeo
03-12-05, 01:27 PM
MLB 2006 (w/Vlad on the cover) just came out for PS2... So far it's gotten pretty decent reviews... Anyone try it?

NewAmsterdamYankee
03-12-05, 05:18 PM
I just threw a perfect game with Wright againt Baltimore (pro level)!
I warmed up some pitchers to relieve Wright when I saw he was perfect through 7 innings.
I'm only 3-2 after 5 games, but this was nice.

BTW: MVP 2006??

lem
03-12-05, 07:16 PM
I just threw a perfect game with Wright againt Baltimore (pro level)!
I warmed up some pitchers to relieve Wright when I saw he was perfect through 7 innings.
I'm only 3-2 after 5 games, but this was nice.

BTW: MVP 2006??

Not MVP, MLB. It's a different game by 989 Sports.

(And highly inferior, I might add.)

Darth_Takeo
03-12-05, 07:49 PM
Not MVP, MLB. It's a different game by 989 Sports.

(And highly inferior, I might add.)
You've tried it then... I just read the reviews I found, most of which were just below MVP and equal or better than MLB2K5...

chanman7483
03-12-05, 08:08 PM
Peopoe complain all the time about wakefield... anytime i play against him, computer or human, I crush him. The reason is that his knuckleball, while tough to hit, is close to his fastball speed. You're pretty much sitting on slow and then slower. The curve is similar as well.

The absolute toughest pitcher in last year's game and this year's game is, without a doubt, Roy Halladay. 95 mpg fastball... a cutter that goes 92... changeup ... curveball, i think... and then the finisher.. the palmball. It looks like a changeup, but it's even slower.. i think it goes about 72 mph... Impossbile to hit this guy, imo... Anytime someone picks him, I'm just dreading having to read the pitches. He's definetly harder to hit than RJ or Colon, who both have incredible fast balls and good off speed pitches.

Sam2448
03-12-05, 08:44 PM
I cannot hit Wakefield. For Halladay, I just wait for the fastball until I have two strikes on me, usually I'll get one, and sometimes make contact and once every few innings get a hit. I game, I actually knocked him out in the fifth. I also think Keith Foulke is impossible to hit, 1 run in 11 innings so far, and he pitched those 11 innings in back to back games, 5 one, and 6 the next, both games in extra innings. It was ridiculous.

BillBuckner
03-13-05, 08:56 PM
I cannot hit Wakefield. For Halladay, I just wait for the fastball until I have two strikes on me, usually I'll get one, and sometimes make contact and once every few innings get a hit. I game, I actually knocked him out in the fifth. I also think Keith Foulke is impossible to hit, 1 run in 11 innings so far, and he pitched those 11 innings in back to back games, 5 one, and 6 the next, both games in extra innings. It was ridiculous.

Knucklers are impossible to hit in this game. It was the same situation in the last two games also. Its pretty much the same way with the changeup. Even when I time it right, I can never get good wood on off-speed pitches.

BillBuckner
03-13-05, 09:00 PM
The "create a stadium" feature is definetly a POS. I created it, saw the result and quit. You're better off just doing dynasty...

It sucks that they make you create a stadium right off the bat. But after a year or two once you start making a profit and upgrading your stadium, its kind of cool. The more consession stands and seating additions you buy, the more $$$ you make. I like the extra challenge this presents.

JeffWeaverFan
03-14-05, 06:42 PM
I just got the game and like it but am having a problem. Late in games they don't let me use "roster options." It's pissing the hell out of me right now as Pavano has pitched a great game but is at 48% and I can't do anything about it.

DaBomber25
03-14-05, 06:44 PM
I just got the game and like it but am having a problem. Late in games they don't let me use "roster options." It's pissing the hell out of me right now as Pavano has pitched a great game but is at 48% and I can't do anything about it.

Did you get the manager tossed for arguing a call? You lose the ability to make those choices when that happens.

ZYanksRule
03-14-05, 06:47 PM
It sucks that they make you create a stadium right off the bat. But after a year or two once you start making a profit and upgrading your stadium, its kind of cool. The more consession stands and seating additions you buy, the more $$$ you make. I like the extra challenge this presents.

I actually went into that thing, its cool, but I'd rather just do a dynasty. I am one of thos eplayers whos a stickler for playing in realism, and when I se the Yanks home looking worse the Legends Field, I just quit.

Did you get your manager ejected? That could be a reason, otherwise, I have no idea.

JeffWeaverFan
03-14-05, 06:54 PM
Did you get your manager ejected? That could be a reason, otherwise, I have no idea.
I did. That makes sense then. Thanks.

lem
03-14-05, 06:57 PM
I did. That makes sense then. Thanks.

There's an odd bug in the PC version that lets you keep making roster changes after being ejected (but it still shows someone else as the manager and won't let you argue any more calls).

GravyMaster3
03-14-05, 07:04 PM
Want to hear something strange? I was just playing on XBox Live, Torre did not get ejected, and when I wanted to bring Gordon out in the 11th inning and put someone fresh in, the game wouldnt let me access the bullpen screens. I pressed the white button and when that didn't let me, I tried to press start to get to it. Both didn't work, I was forced to pitch to Ortiz with two men on, and he hit a home run, losing me the game. Damn!

BrooklynBotz
03-14-05, 07:14 PM
this might be off topic but the soundtrack is amazing. They have this one song called "An Honest Mistake" by the Bravery, it's like the most catchy thing I've heard in years, reminds me of New Order.
they're from new york as well, my friend went to school with the singer and he says their supposed to be the next big thing. who knows but i agree that the song is catchy.

lem
03-14-05, 07:54 PM
they're from new york as well, my friend went to school with the singer and he says their supposed to be the next big thing. who knows but i agree that the song is catchy.

I heard that on the radio this morning... somehow the songs sound better when they're not on an infinite loop with less than 10 other songs and crappy speakers.

chanman7483
03-14-05, 08:37 PM
Want to hear something strange? I was just playing on XBox Live, Torre did not get ejected, and when I wanted to bring Gordon out in the 11th inning and put someone fresh in, the game wouldnt let me access the bullpen screens. I pressed the white button and when that didn't let me, I tried to press start to get to it. Both didn't work, I was forced to pitch to Ortiz with two men on, and he hit a home run, losing me the game. Damn!

I don't know the sequence of events, but I know you can't bring in 2 guys to face the same batter.

JeffWeaverFan
03-14-05, 10:37 PM
This game is just great. I'm loving it.

26 and counting
03-15-05, 12:04 AM
In owner mode, if you don't like your lame 20,000 seat ballpark, you can still play your home games in Yankee Stadium. Just change the stadium when you get to the stadium selection screen to Yankee Stadium. Then when you make enough money to upgrade your ballpark, you could start using that again.

BillBuckner
03-18-05, 03:34 PM
Did anyone buy the level 5 upgrade for creat a stadium yet? I'm, still stuck on 4.

BrooklynBotz
03-18-05, 04:01 PM
Did anyone buy the level 5 upgrade for creat a stadium yet? I'm, still stuck on 4.

not me i'm still stuck on 3 but i still haven't finished my first season yet. how many seasons in are you?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-18-05, 04:33 PM
Is there a cheat or a hint to stack MVP points? Last year you could sim the whole season on all star, make the playoffs, save it, get the points and repeat the process and in a half hour I had all the stadiums, throwbacks and classic players. It didn't work this year for me.

lem
03-18-05, 05:05 PM
Is there a cheat or a hint to stack MVP points? Last year you could sim the whole season on all star, make the playoffs, save it, get the points and repeat the process and in a half hour I had all the stadiums, throwbacks and classic players. It didn't work this year for me.

I just found this out today: make a created player named "Katie Roy" and all of the extras will be unlocked. You can then delete her(?) if you like.

(And if you really want -you can unlock the Red Sox St. Patrick's day jersey with a player named "Neverlose Sight")

BrooklynBotz
03-18-05, 05:52 PM
I just found this out today: make a created player named "Katie Roy" and all of the extras will be unlocked. You can then delete her(?) if you like.

(And if you really want -you can unlock the Red Sox St. Patrick's day jersey with a player named "Neverlose Sight")

nice find, thanks.

Sam2448
03-19-05, 05:22 PM
Just blew my first save with Mo. Sturtze started because Pavano got hurt, and was good for the first two innings. In the third though, McPherson hit a solo shot to tie the game at one, and then I gave up a grand slam to Vlad. I got 1 run in both the 7th and 8th to narrow it to 5-3 going to the ninth, and then singled with Womack, stole 2nd and 3rd, Jeter singled, and Womack scored to make it 5-4. Jeter then stole 2nd, and after A-Rod popped up, Sheff singled to left to tie the game. Matsui struck out to end the inning. I brought Mo in for the top of the 10th and he got shelled immediately giving up 2 runs before calming down and getting out of it. I went down 1-2-3 in the ninth. Even though I lost, Karsey and Quantrill each pitched two brilliant innings of relief, and F-Rod pitched one. I've been discovered that it is really hard to hit for power on all-star, maybe I can adjust the sliders.

BillBuckner
03-20-05, 03:34 PM
not me i'm still stuck on 3 but i still haven't finished my first season yet. how many seasons in are you?

I just bought the 4th one (upper deck) and I'm in the playoffs of my 3rd season.

yanksrule51
03-21-05, 02:55 PM

Dammit. After I spend a million hours trying to get enough points to unlock the crap, a code comes along. Grrrrrrr. :mad:

Nice find though. :D

Might have to pass on the st. Patty's RS jersey. :barf:

thestupidpunk
03-21-05, 06:52 PM

Just like with the Madden games, EA sports games typically have that problem where there's a major learning curve between difficulty levels.

Between trying to build patience in the game on All-Star or MVP modes to actually get decent pitches to hit, to surviving missions in Devil May Cry 3, games took over my entire spring break.

chanman7483
03-21-05, 06:59 PM
If you have the setting on MVP mode, you're likely to walk about 5,6 times a game throughout the course of a game. They throw a ton of balls.

Epy7280
03-21-05, 08:12 PM
i just got a perfect game on mvp mode with mike mussina :D

Evil Empire
03-21-05, 08:15 PM
i just got a perfect game on mvp mode with mike mussina :D

Nice Job....good thing I haven't played you online yet ;)

Dave Visbeck
03-27-05, 06:54 AM
My son Ryan has been telling me about this game... and he's all excited about it. Wonder how tough it will be to play. I'm a Sega generation golf pro! :D

knickfan23
03-27-05, 01:19 PM
How is everyone doing in their seasons?

With the Yankees, I'm 33-9 and with the settings on All-Star, I have the #1 pitching staff in baseball. Pavano is a beast so far at 6-1 with a 1.34 ERA and leading the league in strikeouts. The 2-seam fastball and sinker in the inside half of the plate is lethal if used properly with him.

On offense, even though I average about 5.5 runs per game, I never seem to be able to get that big hit with RISP to break a game open. With my settings, I draw a ton of walks, but I never get that big timely hit to keep the line moving.

lem
03-27-05, 01:26 PM
How is everyone doing in their seasons?

I have a season going with the Blue Jays on all-star, for variety. I find it easier to score runs in the Skydome because of the big gaps in left and right center. That being said I'm only 15-17 so far... my starting pitching is terrible (only Halladay and Lilly are under 4.00 ERA) and both Wells and Hillenbrand are batting sub-.250, although they both have a good deal of HRs.

lem
03-27-05, 01:28 PM
On offense, even though I average about 5.5 runs per game, I never seem to be able to get that big hit with RISP to break a game open. With my settings, I draw a ton of walks, but I never get that big timely hit to keep the line moving.

I know exactly what you mean. I manage to load the bases or get runners on 2nd/3rd but never seem to get hits - no matter how well the ball is hit.

Evil Empire
03-27-05, 01:41 PM
I have the best record in baseball in my season, but my team is rated like 6th...what gives?

chanman7483
03-27-05, 01:42 PM
I've ascended to MVP level. Make sure you change your fielding to manual, or the CPU will dick you over on many a ground ball on defense.. just trust me.

I've only gone about 10-9 with MVP settings. The pitchers throw a lot more balls and i'm walking a ton, but I CAN'T HIT FOR SH*T.. I might get 10 hits a game but they're never in a timely situation. Stealing bases is becoming easier, as I never go on the first pitch(mostly fastballs)... only in hitters counts where they'll either throw a breaking ball(which will allow the baserunner to steal easily), or a fastball, which i'll be able to hit for a hit and run. That's pretty much my strategy.

Pitching is a little tough these days too... someone said something about inside sinkers and 2 seamers... that's a mistake. The computer on MVP will pull those things 450 feet. I focus on off speed outside and nothing but gas when I come inside. Any breaking pitch inside will get destroyed. Giambi is having a great year; at the break he has 14 HR, 54 RBI... sheff leads the league with 22 HR and 71 RBI.. Arod is struggling, hitting .284 with 18 hr and 52 RBI. Womack has a .319 OBP, but that shouldn't suprise anyone...

RJ has an above 5 ERA since going to MVP mode... :( He's been improving of late though... fastballs on the outside portion of the plate work well. Don't even bother throwing the changeup w/ RJ.

nyyfanatic85
03-27-05, 07:23 PM
Does anyone have MVP 2005 for PC? I'd be interested in matching up with one of you guys online.

ZYanksRule
03-27-05, 07:54 PM
Does anyone have MVP 2005 for PC? I'd be interested in matching up with one of you guys online.<p><a href=#post1993876>Link</a></p>

Yea, I do.... WQAQkid is my name, I believe, its either that or WQAQkid04...

knickfan23
03-28-05, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have MVP 2005 for PC? I'd be interested in matching up with one of you guys online.

I do too. MartinezCarl420 is my screen name.

Evil Empire
03-28-05, 04:02 PM
Me 3, my name is Yanksfan4181

I won't be on that much in the near future though

BillBuckner
03-30-05, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know if Will Nieves is in the game?

brosiusbuddy
03-30-05, 04:31 PM
It looks really good, though do you know of any differences between 04 and 05. I dunno if I wanna waste my money if theres no changes (other than roster)

Check out the Randy Johnson video. :cool:

I never really got to play 2004 but I bought 2005 and the owner mode is pretty fun. You control everything from player salaries to the price of tickets and hot dogs. You can build up your stadium by adding new attractions and seating capacities. There is also a mini-game where it is like a hitter's challenge and a pitcher's challenge and those are pretty fun. You can also earn points to unlock legendary players and stadiums as well as classic uni's. The thing I don't like though is the HR derby. The only way to play is with a split screen and for some reason the pitch timing seems to be out of whack so its hard to pull balls for homers.

NewEraYanks2527
03-30-05, 06:32 PM
Tanyon Sturtze is pretty good in the game, he has gotten me out of 2 bases loaded no out jams that Wright and Brown got into.

BillBuckner
04-01-05, 09:12 PM
My franchise is sick. I just started the 2009 season, my stadium holds 52,000 with just about every upgrade. I won 4 straight World Series, sweeping the last two. 2008 I went 122-40.
My lineup (forgive my spelling)
RF Rocco Baldelli
SS Derek Jeter
LF Albert Pujols
3B Alex Rodriguez
DH Erubeo Durazzo
CF Grady Sizemore
1B Nick Johnson
2B Marco Vechionacci (22 yr old in Yankee farm system)
C Kris Bloomquist (22 yr old I drafted)

Rotation
Carl Pavano (3 Cy Youngs in 4 years)
Roy Halladay
Andy Pettitte ;)
Dotrell Willis (just pitched a perfect game)
Gavin Floyd (early 20's. 100 mph fastball)

Bullpen
Closer- Mo (still awesome)
SU- Billy Koch
SU/ Long relief- Phil Hughes (101 mph fastball by now :eek: )

And all with my payroll only $155 million.

I'd also like to make the obvious statement I have no life.

IntangiblesRule
04-01-05, 09:30 PM
I decided not to start my real dynasty until opening night, but I jumped the gun a little and played it this afternoon. Since Schilling is healthy in the game, I let him have the start for the Sox....

After 2/3 of an inning he was done and the Sox were down 6-0 to the big nasty Unit.

In the 7th inning it was 11-0 Yankees as we pounded Halama and Arroyo. Francona brought in Mantei and he promptly drilled A-Rod. Next inning I beaned Ortiz with Sturtze and a brawl erupted.

The final score
Yankees 16 Sox 0
Giambi smoked two home runs into the rightfield seats and Tino went 4 for 4 in his return to Yankee Stadium. That was fun!

26 and counting
04-01-05, 10:00 PM
Did any of you figure out how to make money in owner mode? I keep starting over, and after 3/4 of the season I'm always several $ million in debt. I'd like to build up my stadium, but I never have any damn money.

yankeesAZ
04-02-05, 12:00 AM
I decided not to start my real dynasty until opening night, but I jumped the gun a little and played it this afternoon. Since Schilling is healthy in the game, I let him have the start for the Sox....

After 2/3 of an inning he was done and the Sox were down 6-0 to the big nasty Unit.

In the 7th inning it was 11-0 Yankees as we pounded Halama and Arroyo. Francona brought in Mantei and he promptly drilled A-Rod. Next inning I beaned Ortiz with Sturtze and a brawl erupted.

The final score
Yankees 16 Sox 0
Giambi smoked two home runs into the rightfield seats and Tino went 4 for 4 in his return to Yankee Stadium. That was fun!

It sounds good and everything and I really do hope that's how Sunday night goes, but might I recommend upping the difficulty level?

IntangiblesRule
04-02-05, 12:04 AM
It sounds good and everything and I really do hope that's how Sunday night goes, but might I recommend upping the difficulty level?

The next two games were 4-2 Yankees and 3-2 Sox, for some reason I have always owned Schilling in MVP Baseball. I would destroy Schilling and Pedro no matter what difficulty, but I couldn't hit Wake for .................

In this version I still own Schilling, got a lot of hits but not many runs against Wells, and Clement frustrated the crap out of me.

nyyfanatic85
04-02-05, 12:07 AM
This game is a blast. I'm three games into my season and I still don't have any concessions or stores in the ballpark. Obviously, I'm not making any money for the team.

yankeesAZ
04-02-05, 12:11 AM
The next two games were 4-2 Yankees and 3-2 Sox, for some reason I have always owned Schilling in MVP Baseball. I would destroy Schilling and Pedro no matter what difficulty, but I couldn't hit Wake for .................

In this version I still own Schilling, got a lot of hits but not many runs against Wells, and Clement frustrated the crap out of me.

Wake is tough to hit. Try playing against John Smoltz, who can throw 100, then come back with a 51mph knuckler. Tough on videogamers.

IntangiblesRule
04-02-05, 12:19 AM
Wake is tough to hit. Try playing against John Smoltz, who can throw 100, then come back with a 51mph knuckler. Tough on videogamers.

Any pitcher with a great offspeed pitch is tough to hit in video game land. I look forward to facing the pitchers that just pump gas all day. That's why I always like to run Moose out there when I play against people cause the Knucklecurve is a KILLER out pitch.

AMYanks
04-02-05, 12:55 AM
Is it just me, or is it really hard to strike people out in this game?

BillBuckner
04-02-05, 03:42 PM

I think its pretty easy. When you're ahead in the count just throw em garbage out of the strikezone. Like a good breaking ball low and inside or a fastball high and tight.

BillBuckner
04-02-05, 03:46 PM
Did any of you figure out how to make money in owner mode? I keep starting over, and after 3/4 of the season I'm always several $ million in debt. I'd like to build up my stadium, but I never have any damn money.

You have to invest most of your money in lots of consession stands and stores right of the bat. You also have to adjust your prices to make sure things are selling. Also when you start making enough money, buy a seating upgrade immediately, once you get more seats and sell more tickets the cash really starts coming in.

yankeesAZ
04-02-05, 09:22 PM

You have to really work the batter. Many times they take the first strike as long as it is not a meatball down the middle. The second strike is the toughest to get sometimes, but once you get it, a nice splitter down and away or breaking ball in the same location with usually get them.

nyyfanatic85
04-10-05, 09:05 PM
Anyone feel like playing online tonight? My user name is nyyfanatic85II.

JJazz
04-11-05, 10:13 PM
Based on this thread, I grabbed this game and... I can't hit anything. I just plain stink at hitting. It's gonna be a long season. And I tried to call up Cano, but he wasn't on the minor rosters.

Does Jason hit like the 2001 version or the 2003 version?

IntangiblesRule
04-11-05, 10:46 PM
Based on this thread, I grabbed this game and... I can't hit anything. I just plain stink at hitting. It's gonna be a long season. And I tried to call up Cano, but he wasn't on the minor rosters.

Jason's abilities are based on his anemic 2004 numbers, if you get a hold of one solid in the zone he can send it out, but he has trouble with the high hard stuff.

NewYorkMantle
04-11-05, 10:50 PM
Not for me. You just gotta get the right pitch sequence against the CPU.
Pretty basic, but with Moose - 4seam on the corners, changeup high, followed by knucklecurve low almost always gets the K (depending on whether the fastballs hit).

JeffWeaverFan
04-12-05, 02:12 PM

I brought Phillips up.

IntangiblesRule
04-12-05, 02:18 PM
I'm interested in finding out what approach at the plate you guys use...

I basically go up there looking for something to pull middle in for the first two strikes and I won't swing unless I get it. Once I get two strikes I look to go the other way and protect the plate.

By going up with a mindset of where I want to hit the ball and not swinging until its in my desired location its helped me stay patient and draw more walks. I never drew walks in video games until MVP 2005.

NewAmsterdamYankee
04-12-05, 02:40 PM
I'm interested in finding out what approach at the plate you guys use...

I basically go up there looking for something to pull middle in for the first two strikes and I won't swing unless I get it. Once I get two strikes I look to go the other way and protect the plate.

By going up with a mindset of where I want to hit the ball and not swinging until its in my desired location its helped me stay patient and draw more walks. I never drew walks in video games until MVP 2005.

I use this approach as well, athough I don't pull the ball with everyone. This depends on the pitcher and the batter. For instance: I don't pull the ball that much with Matsui and Posada.
I also picture the place were I want to hit the ball (just in front of me) and try to keep my shoulder closed long enough. Since I have tried this I tear up the diamond. Of course it's also important to pick up the ball a.s.a.p. / as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand.

NewAmsterdamYankee
04-12-05, 02:46 PM
Not for me. You just gotta get the right pitch sequence against the CPU.
Pretty basic, but with Moose - 4seam on the corners, changeup high, followed by knucklecurve low almost always gets the K (depending on whether the fastballs hit).

The cutter on the left side of the plate (seen from the catcher's point of view) is also a good out pitch with Moose, especially in the early inning.
I also use the normal curve ball only in the low part of the strike zone, while i sometimes throw the knuckle curve ball high in the zone as well to mix things up.
But indeed, the knucle curve ball is a great out pitch, especially when you take something off of it.
The normal curve ball high in the strike zone got hit pretty well in MVP2004 so I haven't tried it that much in 2005.

chanman7483
04-12-05, 02:53 PM
Note: I play on MVP

With righties, i'm still finding myself. ARod and Sheff lead the league in homers at the all star break, with 20 and 22 respectively. But i simmed a lot of games. I can't really hit many HRs with righties, unless I sit on the outside pitch and wait to hit it over the right field wall. Other than that, it's just a lot of slapping of the ball the other way... rarely, I pull homers, but that's when I sit on inside sliders.

with lefties, I hold up and to the right. The reason I do this is because if they try to bust you inside, you're going to need to have the controller ready to pull the ball. If they throw something outside, yyou can move quickly enough to hit it the other way. But I definetly get ready to pull the ball. For some reason, this strategy doesn't work with righties...

TannerBoyle
06-05-05, 02:57 PM
bumping the old MVP thread- how's everyone's seasons going?

I'm playing the Yanks in owner mode and just finished playing today's game vs the Twins. Haven't made any crazy moves except to put Cano at 2B to start the season and Wang in the rotation as well. Womack was killing me in LF and I found Carl Crawford on the trading block and picked him up for Jaret Wright (I guess the Rays would actually have an OF glut if Rocco was healthy), so now I'm set for a while.

hadnt played in almost a month and had forgotten how addicting the game is

NewAmsterdamYankee
06-06-05, 07:45 AM
I'm at game 2 of the World Series right now.
I'm playing the Astros. Don't think they'll make the play-offs this year in reality.
Pavano is out for the rest of the season, but I have a four man rotation in the post season, so that's no worry. Thank God that Brown and Wright are better in the game than in reality.
No major changes in my team. I have Sturtze as my set up man instead of Gordon, and I have this "Sheth" guy from AAA as a back-up for Bernie. Sheth has a great arm, but he's a bit slow.

I can't wait for the off-season. Hopefully I can make some nice trades. I want a good pitcher to replace Keven Brown and I want a CF (preferably Andruw Jones). I don't think there will be any interesting FA's.
Womack are two of my main HR-hitters. Sierra has hit 5 of them so far in the play-offs.

I play at pro level and adjusted the sliders to prepare myself for All-star level.
Somehow I manage to squeeze a game in almost every day.

chanman7483
06-06-05, 09:48 AM
I havne't played the game in a while before last nite...

Was in midseason against the cardinals, after pummeling the brewers in simulation. Was cruising along w/ Brown into the 8th, and turned it over to my setup guy, Proctor. He promptly gives up 4 straight singles to make it 3-1, Yanks...so I summon mo and he gives up a grandslam. Game, set, match.

=(

mentalgidget
06-06-05, 10:18 AM
cool feature i realized lastw eek about the game.
The scoreboard on the outfield walls are actually accurate. I play with the sox so I noticed it at Fenway. I hadn't noticed it before because the scoreboard kind of looks like a picture and not interactive. Plus the fact that they have zeros up for innnings yet to be played led me to believe that the scoreboard was not interactive.
It is, however, accurate with runs, hits and errors as well as runs in any given inning. I confirmed this at Camden yards as well.. Pretty cool feature if you ask me

chanman7483
12-10-05, 10:34 PM
Maybe we should all be glad that we aren't getting an MVP baseball 2006...

http://sports.ign.com/articles/674/674208p1.html

For their MVP 06 NCAA baseball game, they are implemeting the right analog stick to swing the bat. Batters are to hold down while the pitch is being delivered, then pressing up to swing the bat. To make matters worse, hodling L1 down produces a power swing and R1 creates a contact swing. These 2 ideas are absolutely horrendous. The contact / power swing not so much, but the analog stick, DEFINETLY.

The game itself looks amazing though.

mik3
12-10-05, 10:35 PM
I think it looks badass, mvp 06. I like that it's not just timing on hitting a button. I like games that take a bit more skill.

chanman7483
12-10-05, 11:07 PM
I think it looks badass, mvp 06. I like that it's not just timing on hitting a button. I like games that take a bit more skill.

After watching the video demo of how it works... I could see this working out . Disregard my previous statement. I feel the same way you do.

Evil Empire
12-10-05, 11:55 PM
I'm not to big on College Baseball though...

But I could talk to some people in school and be like, "Oh yeah, I was playin as you on MVP baseball and, uh...you suck."

ZYanksRule
12-11-05, 12:10 AM
:(

No Quinnipiac in this game....

We make the NCAA Tourney, and still no one cares about us :(

Evil Empire
12-11-05, 12:11 AM
The Stadiums look too boring.

chanman7483
12-11-05, 12:55 AM
The Stadiums look too boring.

The game is still in an earlier stage of development... plus it's NCAA baseball.. not sure how exciting they will be getting...

DaBomber25
01-09-06, 08:51 PM
I'm lazy. There, I got that out of the way. I can't find Cano or Wang in the game so I'm assuming they're not there. Anyone create them and save all the attributes and appearances they game them? Or know of any sites that might have this info? Thanks.

BronxBombers2005
01-10-06, 12:08 PM
Was Cano in minors on any ones game, be cause on mine i had to make him??
And does anyone know if MVP 2006 is comming out?

DaBomber25
01-10-06, 02:22 PM
Was Cano in minors on any ones game, be cause on mine i had to make him??
And does anyone know if MVP 2006 is comming out?

I don't think Cano was part of the Players Association because I read somewhere that he is under the name M. Smallenburg and is also white (Like Millar is A.Friese and black with a blonde goatee).

I'm honestly shocked that I can't find any sites out there. I thought there'd be dozens of sites out there w/created players for this game.

gdn
01-10-06, 02:48 PM
Now for the real stuff:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/680/680418p1.html

MLB 2K6 Preview :D

Looks good! Some interesting features, too.

chanman7483
01-10-06, 02:51 PM
Another nice and long-awaited touch is the ability to manually switch-hit. Of course, an off-handed player will take a significant ratings dip, but batting with the opposite hand is a great way to stick it to a friend -- there's absolutely no respect there.

:lol:

MisterNovember
01-10-06, 02:51 PM
Now for the real stuff:

I love the picture and caption on this page:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/680/680418p3.html

"That's Esteban Loaiza"

It's like there's absoloutly nothing exciting to say about him. :lol:

gdn
01-10-06, 02:53 PM
I love the picture and caption on this page:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/680/680418p3.html

"That's Esteban Loaiza"

It's like there's absoloutly nothing exciting to say about him. :lol:

:lol::roflmao:

BronxBombers2005
01-10-06, 03:05 PM
Now for the real stuff:

God i cant wait for this game, specaily with the new hit stick thingy, and to have the updated rosters also:P I wonder what Giambie hitting box is going to look like. In MVP 2005 he was ice cold all over the place.

A question, is Ching Ming Wang on MVP 2005 or is he a different name?

DontHateOnNumber2
01-10-06, 04:10 PM
God i cant wait for this game, specaily with the new hit stick thingy, and to have the updated rosters also:P I wonder what Giambie hitting box is going to look like. In MVP 2005 he was ice cold all over the place.

A question, is Ching Ming Wang on MVP 2005 or is he a different name?

Wang isn't in the game. You have to create him.

Fanfare Games - MVP Baseball 2005 CAPs (http://www.fanfaregames.com)

DontHateOnNumber2
01-10-06, 04:11 PM
I don't think Cano was part of the Players Association because I read somewhere that he is under the name M. Smallenburg and is also white (Like Millar is A.Friese and black with a blonde goatee).

I'm honestly shocked that I can't find any sites out there. I thought there'd be dozens of sites out there w/created players for this game.

Fanfare Games (http://www.fanfaregames.com)

DaBomber25
04-05-06, 09:36 AM
I just got around to creating Cano last night. I've never even created a non-pitcher before and I need some help. How exactly does the "Take vs. RHP" and "Miss vs. RHP" or "Chase" work? If he's likely to make contact on that particular pitch how should I rate these categories? So damn confusing.

chanman7483
04-05-06, 11:21 AM
I just got around to creating Cano last night. I've never even created a non-pitcher before and I need some help. How exactly does the "Take vs. RHP" and "Miss vs. RHP" or "Chase" work? If he's likely to make contact on that particular pitch how should I rate these categories? So damn confusing.

That's pretty confusing, yeah.. what you can do, if you played online ever, is sign in and updated rosters... cano will be there. Then save it as the default roster.

DaBomber25
04-05-06, 11:34 AM
That's pretty confusing, yeah.. what you can do, if you played online ever, is sign in and updated rosters... cano will be there. Then save it as the default roster.

I knew you'd be the first to respond :cool: I tried to PM you but didn't know they were still down.

I don't play online at all and my google searches haven't come up with anything. Maybe if I choose a comprable player and just check out what they have them at it'll help out.

chanman7483
04-05-06, 11:36 AM
I knew you'd be the first to respond :cool: I tried to PM you but didn't know they were still down.

I don't play online at all and my google searches haven't come up with anything. Maybe if I choose a comprable player and just check out what they have them at it'll help out.

:2thumbs: ... Reminds me that I should do that too. I've been playing w/ Womack at 2b :eek:

DaBomber25
04-05-06, 11:46 AM
:2thumbs: ... Reminds me that I should do that too. I've been playing w/ Womack at 2b :eek:

I friggin' hate Womack but if you can put those feelings aside they made him out to be a left handed hitting Ricky Henderson in the game. It's insane. He's speed is ridiculous and all he hits are gappers and HR's (off righties).

Panamaniac42
04-05-06, 11:48 AM
I'm going to check what I did for Cano later tonight. I'm pretty happy with the way he came out. I'll let you guys know.

DaBomber25
04-05-06, 11:48 AM
:cool:
I'm going to check what I did for Cano later tonight. I'm pretty happy with the way he came out. I'll let you guys know.

Cool. Thanks, man.

DontHateOnNumber2
04-05-06, 04:29 PM
I created Cano and even Wang back when they first debuted. I'm pleased.

Panamaniac42
04-05-06, 09:39 PM
My version of Cano:

General Info
Robinson Cano
October 22, 1982
1st position: 2b
2nd position: 3b (this is optional but I didn't do it - in the minors they had him play a little at 3b to try and showcase him)
Bats: Left
Career Potential: ***
Batter Ditty: Hip-Hop

Appearance
Jersey # 22
Height: 6'0
Weight: 178 (it's hard to get the weight exact; you have to mess around w/the body parts)
Body Type: Athletic
Face: 12
Hair Color: 6
Hair Style: 5
Facial Hair: 1

Body Build
Upper: About 2 bars
Lower: About 3 1/2 bars
Biceps: About 4 bars
Forearms: About 3 1/2 bars
Wrists: About 4 1/2 bars
Thighs: About 4 1/2 bars
Shins: About 2 Bars
Feet: About 4 bars

Equipment
Bat: 4
Glove: 3
Elbow Guard: 2
Shin Guard: None
Wristband: 3
Socks: Low
Batting Gloves: On

Ratings
Stance: Magglio Ordonez
RHP C: 76
LHP C: 69
RHP P: 68
LHP P: 62
Bunting: 65
Discipline: 65
Durability: 75
Speed: 72
Stealing Tendency: 60
Baserunning Ability: 75
Fielding: 70
Ranger: 75
Throw Strength: 85
Throw Accuracy: 75

Tendencies - I got lazy when I made him here but for whatever reason these figures worked out. For each pitch, I made the "Take" values 60. For each pitch I made the "Miss" values 40. For each pitch I made the "Chase" values 40. To try and arrive at a value for each one would be too much for me. Like I said, it seemed to work out.

Zones - You can do what you want here...I have his hot zones as middle and low & away.

Well that's it. He seems to develop reasonably whenever I've done a dynasty. His looks are as good as I could get em...the Magglio stance on a lefty looks pretty good for him. I had made Wang but it's hard to figure out a delivery for him. The Jae Seo is close but "eh". Wang throws a fastball/slider/sinker/changeup arsenal but I suggest watching tonight to get a better feel. Too bad the YES gun sucks. I'd put his fastball at about 94, yes? If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em.

DaBomber25
04-06-06, 11:21 AM
Thanks a lot for posting that. I'm gonna check it out when I get home.

I think I used the delivery you mentioned for Wang. After going through the list twice I think that was the best fit. I might have to double check that too though.

Darth_Takeo
04-06-06, 11:44 PM
I'm pretty late on this, but I just discovered I can play MVP '05 on Xbox in 720p! I've had the LCD 32" Samsung HDTV Monitor a only couple months now, so I guess I'm not totally ignorant... It's like a new game! Only issue is it tends to lag with lots of activity on the screen, but it looks crisp and clear.