PDA

View Full Version : Hasidic reggae artist- MatisYahu

chanman7483
02-03-05, 07:51 PM
http://abum.com/?show_media=3522&file_type=Movies

check it out.. this guy is pretty damn good. Not the type of thing you see everyday.

The video is a live performance followed by an interview.

SoCal Pinstriper
02-03-05, 08:14 PM
Very cool. By complete coincidence, I was clicking through channels, and came across a Japanese Reggae artist on one of our Asian channels. Complete with dreads, he was doing a song called "Summer Holiday", the only lyrics of which that were not in Japanese were the words "Summer Holiday". I dug it.

Great to see that my man Bob Marley is channeling the positivity through other religions, cultures, and nationalities. :)

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-04-05, 04:26 PM
That guy's not bad. I wonder how he learned to chant in patwa? He seems pretty real about it, dedicated to the art form...not some made for TV gimmick. Good for him.

Snatch Catch
02-04-05, 05:14 PM
My cousin beatboxes and came down from Montreal to go to a huge beatbox gathering last fall in NYC. I met him up on St. Marks at some bar where there was an afterparty, and when I got there he was absolutely flipping out about this guy. He said that the guy came out on stage and everyone was kind of like "Whaaaa?!?!?"

My cousin said that the guy was a BIG DUDE, and that he was completely hasidic in appearance. He started chanting or something, like you would hear from a rabbi or cantor, and everyone was a little more confused.

And then he just RIPPED it.

I mean, TORE IT DOWN. Had the crowd totally wilin' out.

My cousin said that he was one of the best guys there, and that included people that had flown in from all over the U.S. and actually the world. He gets a LOT of respect from the big players in the beatboxing field.

He used to have his own website, but I can't find it right now...It had all of his beliefs, and a synopsis of why he's doing what he's doing. It was actually very interesting. If I remeber correctly, he was either not Jewish, or not hasidic to begin with, but then changed his ways and/or converted.

yanksphan
02-05-05, 10:35 AM
This guy is pretty sweet. Thanks for the link!

chanman7483
02-05-05, 10:50 AM
Just taking this off the top of my head...From what I rememeber in the interview after his performance, he said that he used to really be into it years ago. Then he became really religious and stopped for a few years. Only recently has he picked it up again.

So i'm assuming that he had been at it for a while ... props to him

PeteRFNY
02-05-05, 11:55 AM
Is this schul rap? ;)

Dooley Womack
02-05-05, 01:45 PM
I had to look a few times to make sure it wasn't Adam Sandler goofing.

WashingtonYankee
02-06-05, 06:27 PM
Wow. He's great! I love reggae.

SODM
02-07-05, 12:13 AM
I love it when a talented guy like that tears down the stereotypes of appearance perpetuated by the media. It's a good reminder that music is universal.

DeputyFife
03-14-06, 08:39 PM
My wife picked up his new studio album for me on Sunday. And I love it. I'm love Sublime and Long Beach Dub All-Stars, and have listened to Marley for years. If your into this type of music you have got to check out this CD. I love the positive lyrics.

Sam2448
03-14-06, 08:48 PM
I got into him about a month ago. Shake Off the Dust... Arise is a really good cd, and Live at Stubbs is even better. He just released another cd a few days ago but I haven't picked it up yet.

DeputyFife
03-14-06, 08:50 PM
Youth is the new that I got. I seen a video on the net of his song King without a Crown, awsome stuff. I'm gonna pick up the Live at Stubbs this weekend.

NYYRules#1
03-14-06, 09:19 PM
I love MatisYahu. The guy is so amazing. I'm a huge fan of his - I was listening to "King Without a Crown" and "Youth" earlier today actually.

SheffRocks11
03-14-06, 09:28 PM
King Without a Crown is an AWESOME song! I love it!

Sam2448
03-14-06, 09:34 PM
Youth is the new that I got. I seen a video on the net of his song King without a Crown, awsome stuff. I'm gonna pick up the Live at Stubbs this weekend.

Yeah I'd highly recommend Live At Stubbs. It's got so much live energy. I should get Youth soon.

I think King Without a Crown is actually my favorite song by Matisyahu. Great song.

DeputyFife
03-14-06, 09:42 PM
http://www.hasidicreggae.com/

Under video scroll down to the last one it's a video of King Without A Crown live. Looks like he puts on one awsome show, hope I can catch him live soon.

Boogiedown Bomber
03-14-06, 10:18 PM
Yeah I'd highly recommend Live At Stubbs. It's got so much live energy. I should get Youth soon.

I think King Without a Crown is actually my favorite song by Matisyahu. Great song.

It is a great record. I highly recommend to anyone trying to get into Matisyahu. On that record, "Chop 'Em Down" is my favorite track. And the trio that backs him is very talented. I can't wait to see them live in concert.

NYDCYankee
03-14-06, 11:55 PM
The King With Out A Crown is so good on the Live At Stubbs album.

I think the newer studio version kind of sucks.

IronCaballo4
03-15-06, 12:20 AM
The King With Out A Crown is so good on the Live At Stubbs album.

I think the newer studio version kind of sucks.

I agree, the live version is awesome

NYYBombshell
03-15-06, 12:24 AM
My sister plays the hell out of this song, and I must admit, it's quite catchy. I won't buy it because I haven't heard anything else of his to warrant an album purchase, but the song is good.

I did hear he had to quit stage diving because of his orthodoxy; apparently he can't touch women that aren't in his immediate family. He can't even shake a female fan's hand. I can imagine that can be awkward after the show when someone wants an autograph or something.

DeputyFife
03-15-06, 12:33 AM
My sister plays the hell out of this song, and I must admit, it's quite catchy. I won't buy it because I haven't heard anything else of his to warrant an album purchase, but the song is good.

I did hear he had to quit stage diving because of his orthodoxy; apparently he can't touch women that aren't in his immediate family. He can't even shake a female fan's hand. I can imagine that can be awkward after the show when someone wants an autograph or something.

Yea I read that in Rolling Stone, the one with Maria Carey on the cover. Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you to buy it, but the studio album has 13 songs on it, I've only been able to listen to it a couple of times but alot of the songs are good. I do agree about the studio version of King Without a Crown not being nearly as good as the live version which is one reason I can't wait to get the live album.

deranged2005
03-15-06, 01:54 AM
I actually like the studio version of King Without a Crown better.

But that's me.

Arod for President
03-15-06, 11:59 AM
I saw this guy play at the Avalon in Boston a few weeks ago. He rocked the house. Matisyahu has been around now for sometime, however he didnt really start catching on until he went on Letterman this past winter. I wish him the best of luck. He brings a breath of fresh air to not only the Jewish community but also the Reggae community.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-06, 12:04 PM
I think he's going to be playing at URI next month. $15 tickets. I dunno if it's worth going to see.

I read in Rolling Stone how he feels bad because since he can't touch women outside of his family due to his religion he comes off as cold, but he really appreciates his fans.

I think it's a shame that the only time reggae gets any press is when white people try it and are either really good (Matisyahu) or really bad (Snow).

Arod for President
03-15-06, 12:29 PM
I think he's going to be playing at URI next month. $15 tickets. I dunno if it's worth going to see.

I read in Rolling Stone how he feels bad because since he can't touch women outside of his family due to his religion he comes off as cold, but he really appreciates his fans.

I think it's a shame that the only time reggae gets any press is when white people try it and are either really good (Matisyahu) or really bad (Snow).

This guy grew up in White Plains NY. Hes one of us! Go see him, you wont regret it.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-06, 12:36 PM
This guy grew up in White Plains NY. Hes one of us! Go see him, you wont regret it.

I didn't know that he was from Westchester. If I can get the student price somehow I'll go.

Barb51850
03-15-06, 12:39 PM
This is wonderful. I admire people who are open to all kinds of music, and sing music that they love even if it is not from their own culture. He is very dedicated to this music, that is obvious.

SheffRocks11
03-15-06, 08:24 PM
I'm actually listening to King without a crown right now.

Jersey Yankee
03-20-06, 10:05 AM
From The Onion's AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/matiswrkng2.jpg

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/46284

The reggae-fueled Hasidic musician known as Matisyahu (born Matthew Miller) scored a surprise success last year with his second album, the concert disc Live At Stubb's. He's maintained momentum with his latest record, Youth, a Bill Laswell-produced collection of high-energy, textured dance-pop. He's living out a boyhood dream, inspiring people with music the way he was inspired by Phish, the band he followed as a teenager while trying to find himself spiritually. The end result of that quest—a conversion from secular Judaism to the strict tenets of Hasidism—has made Matisyahu a novelty in the music business, and has arguably prompted some of his meteoric success. And yet Matisyahu's religion has never been shtick. He's a serious, skilled musician who happens to be devout, not some latter-day version of 2 Live Jews. During a night off in the middle of his current marathon tour, Matisyahu spoke with The A.V. Club about his musical biography, and how he lives a rock-star life without losing his soul.

The A.V. Club: What do you do when you have a night off during a tour?

Matisyahu: I have a chavrusa, a friend that I learn with, who I talk with over the phone. So I'll be speaking with him, and I have a couple meetings and interviews. I think there's the possibility of some bowling happening at some point.

AVC: Reading about your life, it sounds like a lot has happened to you, between all the moving you did as a kid and all the restless wandering you did as a young adult. And yet you're only 26.

M: A lot has happened just in the last two years, actually. I got married, I had a son, I started a career and sold a few hundred thousand records.

RhodyYanksFan
03-20-06, 10:49 AM
I picked up Live at Stubbs yesterday. Is the studio cd better or worse?

Boogiedown Bomber
03-20-06, 11:23 AM
I picked up Live at Stubbs yesterday. Is the studio cd better or worse?

I think the studio cuts are good, but the live record does justice for Matisyahu.

Arod for President
03-20-06, 01:15 PM
Trust me. The live album is way better. But the studio CD (if your a true fan) is also worth checking out

DontHateOnNumber2
03-20-06, 06:44 PM
Matisyahu is dope, they play him constantly on O-Rock down here.