PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning near unanimous MVP

Hitman
01-10-05, 11:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1963651

Michael Vick received the other vote. Yes, Michael Vick, he of the 78.1 QB rating...

NYYFAN
01-10-05, 12:33 PM
Atlanta writer I presume...congrats Peyton!

PawSoxNation
01-10-05, 12:43 PM
What a shocker! I am floored :)

RhodyYanksFan
01-10-05, 12:51 PM
Congrats Manning...now lets see you win when it really matters...On the road in January.

BroadwayBomber55
01-10-05, 01:13 PM
Congrats Peyton on your second straight MVP.

:gulp:

IncredibleByNature
01-10-05, 03:55 PM
Congrats on your 2nd straight MVP, Peyton! :gulp:

ruthianblast
01-10-05, 04:39 PM
Not really a surprise, what dumbass voted for Vick over Peyton? :wtf:

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
01-11-05, 10:30 AM
Now let's see if this guy can win the big game. We have known for a long time since Tennessee that he was a hell of a QB. But he couldn't beat Florida. Now let's see if he can finally beat the Pats. Even if he beats them, he still needs to win the SB to complete what would be the best season ever by a QB. He's not there yet.

pjfan
01-11-05, 11:02 AM
Not really a surprise, what dumbass voted for Vick over Peyton? :wtf:

writer from Detroit defends his pick

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/11/f01-56421.htm

Hitman
01-11-05, 12:16 PM
writer from Detroit defends his pick

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/11/f01-56421.htm

What an idiot. Yes, Vick is crucial to Atlanta but not having an adequate backup screwed them as much as anything last year. Gee, I wonder if Indy would be as good without Peyton in the lineup?

bakntime
01-11-05, 03:35 PM
Now let's see if this guy can win the big game. We have known for a long time since Tennessee that he was a hell of a QB. But he couldn't beat Florida. Now let's see if he can finally beat the Pats. Even if he beats them, he still needs to win the SB to complete what would be the best season ever by a QB. He's not there yet.Yes. Barry Bonds still needs to lead his team to a World Series victory in order to really be considered a great baseball player. We all know that individuals win championships, not teams. :uhh:

IncredibleByNature
01-11-05, 03:43 PM
Now let's see if this guy can win the big game. We have known for a long time since Tennessee that he was a hell of a QB. But he couldn't beat Florida. Now let's see if he can finally beat the Pats. Even if he beats them, he still needs to win the SB to complete what would be the best season ever by a QB. He's not there yet.
He *has* won big games, he just hasn't been able to beat the Pats. They are a very good team, they have a very good defense, etc. so yeah, he, like many other QB's, teams, has struggled against them. Also, whether he and the Colts beat the Pats or not (it's not just about Peyton beating them, it's a *team* effort), he still at least had the best regular season ever by a QB. Some people think you have to win the SB to be considered a great, one of the best ever, etc. QB's, and some don't. Personally, I don't. Winning the SB is a *team* effort, no one QB can do it alone.

Hitman- Not a chance in hell Indy would be as good w/o Peyton.

S2
01-11-05, 04:15 PM
Yes. Barry Bonds still needs to lead his team to a World Series victory in order to really be considered a great baseball player. We all know that individuals win championships, not teams. :uhh:

Baseball and football are miles apart in this case. A single player has much more value in football than in baseball. Manning controls the ball on every offensive play, or about 60 times a game. Barry Bonds is lucky to face 4 good pitches a night.

PawSoxNation
01-11-05, 04:19 PM
Baseball and football are miles apart in this case. A single player has much more value in football than in baseball. Manning controls the ball on every offensive play, or about 60 times a game. Barry Bonds is lucky to face 4 good pitches a night.

Good point...It would be much differnet if Manning goes down than if Bonds goes down. Bonds play Left Field and sees 4 At bats a game. Manning IS the offense!

bakntime
01-11-05, 04:23 PM
Baseball and football are miles apart in this case. A single player has much more value in football than in baseball. Manning controls the ball on every offensive play, or about 60 times a game. Barry Bonds is lucky to face 4 good pitches a night.The point is still valid, and certainly not "miles apart." The quarterback may be more influential than a single offensive baseball player, but football teams consist of a much larger number of players, and need to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to win.

Manning is no more influential than a starting pitcher on the given day that he pitches. If his offense doesn't hit for him and gets shut out, how can the starting pitcher win? Peyton and the offense can score 30-40 points, but if the opposition scores more, then they'll lose.

No single player wins a game in any team sport without some supporting cast. Peyton Manning is the best QB in football right now. Anyone who wants to dispute that fact by saying he "hasn't won anything," especially a Sox fan, should take a look at how they used to defend Pedro, Manny, etc, against the same accusations before the Sox won in 2004.

S2
01-11-05, 05:41 PM
The point is still valid, and certainly not "miles apart." The quarterback may be more influential than a single offensive baseball player, but football teams consist of a much larger number of players, and need to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to win.

Manning is no more influential than a starting pitcher on the given day that he pitches. If his offense doesn't hit for him and gets shut out, how can the starting pitcher win? Peyton and the offense can score 30-40 points, but if the opposition scores more, then they'll lose.

No single player wins a game in any team sport without some supporting cast. Peyton Manning is the best QB in football right now. Anyone who wants to dispute that fact by saying he "hasn't won anything," especially a Sox fan, should take a look at how they used to defend Pedro, Manny, etc, against the same accusations before the Sox won in 2004.

That still doesn't dismiss the notion that the single most dominant force in other sports (Shaq, Manning) have more to do with their teams success (or lackethereof when said player is hurt) than the single most dominant offensive player in baseball (Bonds).

And Bonds has been historically ridiculous for 4 straight years now, with only 2 postseason appearances to hang his hat on. You can argue that if Manning puts up ridiculous numbers (or any other player in football, Faulk, Warner, Sanders, etc) 4 straight years, then his team will be in the postseason 4 straight years.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-11-05, 06:08 PM
I'm going to fundamentally agree with you, sorta. Manning can't win a game all by himself, but it sure is within his power to LOSE it all by himself. If he plays well, that doesn't necessarily win the Colts the game, but if he chokes, the Colts are finished guaranteed. Winning is a team effort, which isn't necessarily the case with respect to losing.

Rich
01-11-05, 06:19 PM
Peyton is just a placeholder until Eli becomes the perennial MVP.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-11-05, 06:22 PM
Oh, good grief. :nopity:

Rich
01-11-05, 07:39 PM
Oh, good grief. :nopity:
I guess you didn't get my dry wit. ;)

YankeePride1967
01-11-05, 07:44 PM
The person who voted for Vick should have his voting privileges revoked.

PattiLuvsPinstripes
01-11-05, 09:04 PM
The person who voted for Vick should have his voting privileges revoked.

Along with his eyes, ears and brain examined.

Congrats to Peyton on being the MVP 2 years in a row! Go Colts! :cheer:

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-12-05, 02:55 PM
I guess you didn't get my dry wit. ;)
No, I did, but I'm certain at least 35% of your brain believes it. I've seen you talk like that too many times to believe it's 100% a joke. :D

Rich
01-13-05, 01:01 AM
No, I did, but I'm certain at least 35% of your brain believes it. I've seen you talk like that too many times to believe it's 100% a joke. :D
Honestly, I don't, but I want to. ;)

RIyankee
01-13-05, 10:44 AM

Eli does remind me of Tom Brady. :o

RIyankee
01-17-05, 12:02 PM
CUT THAT MEAT!
CUT THAT MEAT!

Peyton bowing to Tom Brady...

Peyton Manning
:giveup:
Tom Brady

:nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

This thread can now be closed. :D

S2
01-17-05, 12:15 PM
CUT THAT MEAT!
CUT THAT MEAT!

Peyton bowing to Tom Brady...

Peyton Manning
:giveup:
Tom Brady

:nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

This thread can now be closed. :D

B-b-b-b-b-but, Peyton only had the ball 22 minutes, he didn't have enough time. OR The defense did Peyton in again. OR The Refs didn't call enough penalties. OR It snowed!

"We rattled 'em early? We rattled 'em all day!"- # 54

JDPNYY
01-17-05, 12:19 PM
Despite yesterday, Manning deserved the award.

S2
01-17-05, 12:28 PM
Despite yesterday, Manning deserved the award.

Unquestionably. Hands down. Should have been unanimous. IMO, greatest season by a QB ever. He was ridiculously good.

But against the Patriots and Belichick and Brady, I wouldn't bet 5 cents on Manning to win. He can't do it. Maybe he can win the big game, but he can't beat the Patriots. Against THAT secondary, the Colts only muster 3 points? Manning should be ashamed.

The key play was Bruschi stripping the ball from Rhodes. Who do you think wanted the ball (and the game) more?

RIyankee
01-17-05, 12:42 PM
The problem with the NFL is that all rankings are deceptive.

IMO the most overrated player is Duante Culpepper, who looked like a deer in the headlights against Philly. Every year he's off to a terrific start, but as the season progresses and the games become intense, he frequently turns over the ball.

Manning is a far better QB than Culpepper but I fail to see how running up scores on porous defenses adds value to a player. What makes a QB valuable is wins in big games.

S2
01-17-05, 12:50 PM
IMO the most overrated player is Duante Culpepper, who looked like a deer in the headlights against Philly. Every year he's off to a terrific start, but as the season progresses and the games become intense, he frequently turns over the ball.

Manning is a far better QB than Culpepper but I fail to see how running up scores on porous defenses adds value to a player. What makes a QB valuable is wins in big games.

I don't want to keep pouring on poor ole Peyton, but Culpepper's best reciever was injured for a lot of games and he still had great numbers. Manning had his receivers active all year. And Culpepper can move, a dimension Peyton doesn't have.

Pepper03
01-17-05, 01:09 PM
I've heard a few rumblings from Indy that Peyton should re-work his contract, that if he keeps all that $ he signed for they'll never be able to build a team that can compete with a team like the Patriots. Yes, I've even heard a little talk that he is "selfish" for taking all that $ at the expense of the team.
I wonder if this will become a hot topic there.
Peyton has fallen off his pedestal a little since yesterday.

WakefieldsKnuckler49
01-18-05, 01:52 AM
B-b-b-b-b-but, Peyton only had the ball 22 minutes, he didn't have enough time. OR The defense did Peyton in again. OR The Refs didn't call enough penalties. OR It snowed!

"We rattled 'em early? We rattled 'em all day!"- # 54

Dude, Manning didn't lose this game for the Colts. Christ, this is like when people used to call Pedro "a loser" because he never won a WS, despite the fact that he always did everything in his power to make sure his team won. He couldn't help what the rest of the team did. Peyton can't stop the Pats from going on 3 drives of 7 minutes or longer. Peyton can only control getting the ball to open receivers. And the Patriots D didn't allow him many open recievers or time to find them. And when he did find them, they dropped a ton of passes.

In short, don't blame this on Manning. He can take some of the blame, but the brunt IMO should go to Dungy (not throwing one ball down field even when behind was mind boggling), the shoddy D, and the Pinkston-esque receiving core who couldn't hold onto a ball if a defender was within 5 yards.

S2
01-18-05, 11:19 AM
Dude, Manning didn't lose this game for the Colts. Christ, this is like when people used to call Pedro "a loser" because he never won a WS, despite the fact that he always did everything in his power to make sure his team won. He couldn't help what the rest of the team did. Peyton can't stop the Pats from going on 3 drives of 7 minutes or longer. Peyton can only control getting the ball to open receivers. And the Patriots D didn't allow him many open recievers or time to find them. And when he did find them, they dropped a ton of passes.

In short, don't blame this on Manning. He can take some of the blame, but the brunt IMO should go to Dungy (not throwing one ball down field even when behind was mind boggling), the shoddy D, and the Pinkston-esque receiving core who couldn't hold onto a ball if a defender was within 5 yards.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but why is it everytime the Colts lose to the Patriots Peyton Manning is free of blame? Look, the defense of the Colts did a decent job points-wise. If on Sunday morning you would have told me the Pats would only score 20, I might be trying to figure out who would bat 5th against lefties on the road in day games for the Sox.

There comes a point when "great" QB's need to step up and take charge. As a QB you are pretty much in charge of your offense. So, are the people who blame this loss on the recievers saying that Peyton is only as good as his recievers, because that's the way it seems.

While Peyton can't control what the defense does, he can control what the offense does. Was it logically impossible for Peyton to go on a 8-minute drive? The game wasn't out of hand until late in the 4th, so they didn't need to score quick.

To say that it was all Peyton's fault is wrong, but against a secondary that featured a two second year players and an undrafted free agent, how can the MVP only put up 3 lousy points?